[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making NPCs. What sort of political positions and economic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

I'm making NPCs.
What sort of political positions and economic businesses would I find in a high fantasy backwater swamp city?

So far I've got:
Mayor
Treasurer
Leather trader
Dockmaster
Archmage/Arcane consultant
>>
File: 3cd5c815d21c854e6f0e50e7f93652bb.jpg (145KB, 1000x1245px) Image search: [Google]
3cd5c815d21c854e6f0e50e7f93652bb.jpg
145KB, 1000x1245px
Kitsune brothel madam of kitsune brothel.
>>
>>48666709
Frog/ reptile / eel catcher
Ruins hunter (search for the lost ruins of cities which they then sell to adventurers aso they prefer small gains with low risk)
>>
>>48666744
/pfg/ is that way, sir.
>>
>>48666783
In the city
Reptile trader
Water salesman (marsh water is generally none to nice so imported water is sold to the upper classes).
>>
>>48666709
Merchant's Guild
Thieves' Guild
Fences (people that sell shit that the thieves steal, generally to the merchants)
Town Guard (generic assholes with pikes and surly demeanors)
Tavern, with the barkeep, wenches, cook and maid
Beggars
Stablemaster/horse-handlers/groomers
>>
>>48666709

Mayor.
Mayor's scribe.
Commander of militia.
Leader of the mercenary party who actually keeps the town not eaten by monsters.
Judge.
2-4 guildmasters and or/wealthy merchants.

And that's about all.
>>
>>48666709
If it has docks it probably has smugglers and an underground economy. You might want to decide early on if this is Fantasy New Orleans, or maybe Fantasy Maryland, mid-1860's, the kind of place that everything goes through and anything's available because tracking through the swamp is damned hard and the ocean is right there.

Also, if it's near the ocean, you might want to consider how cosmopolitan it is. If there are people from all over there, there's bound to be cultural cross-contamination with all sorts of interesting results.
>>
File: 2546338-946949159[1].png (24KB, 386x306px) Image search: [Google]
2546338-946949159[1].png
24KB, 386x306px
>>48666709
>economic businesses
Well, what would make that backwater so important that people are actually willing to economically invest in it? Are there mines nearby with a useful resource? Is there something in the swamp that's considered valuable? Something like maybe the tongue of some swamp creature, which is considered a delicacy? Or the pearl of some gigantic swamp-clam-monster? There has to be something.

>Dockmaster
So there's trade. So this swamp-city is effectively Amsterdam, yes?

>>48666744
Appropriate. Have a gigantic mega-brothel with all monsters for all tastes, genders and sexual orientations. From motherly kitsunes to vulnerable orc shotas.

On a more serious note, how is the city governed? That's pretty important. Is it an independent city state? A vassal? Direct part of the royal demesne? Part of the demesne of a count or duke? That decides who is and isn't there. If it's a city state there's probably something like a city council. If it's a vassal of the king or duke then there's probably something like a steward who drops by once in a while to represent the interests of the liege and see if everything's going as his liege wishes. Maybe this guy can also from time to time give direct orders for certain projects (like road improvement).

Long story short, simply ask yourself: what is the city for? Why does it exist? What's its main source of income? Who, if anyone, does it owe loyalty to?

By the way, what could make this backwater city quite interesting is if it's a neutral city state located between two or more powerful kingdoms. It's difficult to reach so nobody really bothers conquering it, and it's neutral so everybody loves to trade there. In that case, the city should be filled with foreign ambassadors who both try to push their interests in the independent city-state and make sure the other two don't conquer it (again, look at the Netherlands: France, Germany and Britain all wanted to own it, but none wanted the other two to own it).
>>
>>48666709
>a high fantasy backwater swamp city?
My mind went to Genua, aka Fairytale New Orleans - have you read Witches Abroad?
Venice is another example

Various mystics might be politically/economically important, considering it's high fantasy

If there's any big swamp boats, especially the kind that double as buildings, the Captains might be important

Hunting/Swamp-diving would be an important but dangerous job, while supplying them would be comparatively safer but a bit less lucrative.

Depending on other industries of the city - shipping (New Orleans is a massive port), gambling, brewing, for just 3 examples - you'd have senior figures in those.
>>
>>48666709
That crazy guy in the deeper swamps who sells quality gator pelts and moonshine that local assassins use to poison nobles' drinks with.
>>
>>48666709
>ctrl-f
>no fisherman/fishmonger

Yeesh tee-gee, are you even trying anymore?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.