[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The games of old didn't have expansion packs.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: CnqDShEVMAAPUL2.jpg (72KB, 900x668px) Image search: [Google]
CnqDShEVMAAPUL2.jpg
72KB, 900x668px
The games of old didn't have expansion packs.
>>
>>48663107
Splat books
>>
The games of old also fucking sucked. Let me tell you why.

Grognards mostly exist out of stubbornness. They are fat old conservative men who refuse to accept that maybe, just maybe, there is a better way of doing things. They consider character options to be "too complicated" and resort to sitting on their asses using 1970s attack matrices to resolve shit instead of a unified mechanic that actually makes sense.

The reason AD&D didn't have splatbooks and expansion packs (oh and by the way it did, faggot) is because the game was empty, bland, and devoid of open design room. Because it already filled most of its design space with shitty overspecific mechanics that carried over into 3.5. Then with 5e they created an excellent framework.... which they proceeded to shit all over. Ironically, 5e was meant to be an OSR game, yet they fucked this up by making it 4e lite while they were at it, and throwing in hit dice to pretend it was an homage to 3.5 when in reality it has about as much in common with 3.5 as a shit steak.

Look at fucking RIFTS. Motherfucking RIFTS where you needed like four rolls to resolve ONE simple motherfuckin attack. That's ridiculous. They finally rebooted it with Savage Worlds, which is a garbage system but at least it isn't RIFTS. I mean holy fuck.

Literally zero good RPGs were made before 2001. The only reason they are still played is (1) inertia, (2) nostalgia, and (3) a false tendency toward badly designed games to make up for shortcomings in newer ones.
>>
>>48663214
Is this pasta or are you just, like, a parade float filled with shit granted sentience by a mad sorcerer?
>>
>>48663374

> any opinion that isn't a 2-word shitpost must be pasta

No, this is actually my opinion on RPGs.
>>
>>48664331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzOBlPKZjxE
>>
>>48663214
>Literally zero good RPGs were made before 2001.
I think you have gotten a leetle bit out of hand.
>>
>>48664331

> any opinion that isn't a 2-word shitpost must be pasta
Pretty sure he just meant yours
>>
>>48663214
>character options are "too complicated" for grognards
>cite RIFTS
>literally more character options than anything underneath the sun

Amazing.
>>
>>48663214
Unisystem is aight, gurps is more than aight, call of cthulhu is pretty great, so is rune quest.

Could they be improved using information learned since they came out? Absolutely.

Are they still good games despite their age? Absolutely.
>>
>>48664331
Are you the guy who throws a fit whenever someone doesn't recognize the inherent superiority of dw over all other games?
>>
>>48663214

1) Old games are awesome, and no one in my group that plays OSRs, retroclones or even original editions are old or fat. They are often people that come from roleplay-heavy circlejerk 'games' with very little focus on it being a game.

2) I'm not sure if you're praising 5E for being similar to 4E or condemning it for not being enough like an OSR game. This is just kind of a wild vague screaming at clouds.

3) There are hundreds of good games pre-2001, many of which defy conventions set by past and modern D&D games. WHFRP, Call of Cthulhu, Mage, Shadowrun, etc.

The biggest reason I see people going *back* to OSR games is because many of them are closer to a game and not an "experience", because some people just want beer, pretzels and dice.
>>
>The Expert Set is an expansion boxed set for the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game. It was first published in 1981 as an expansion to the Basic Set.

What's your cutoff for games of old OP?
>>
>>48666650

>2) I'm not sure if you're praising 5E for being similar to 4E or condemning it for not being enough like an OSR game. This is just kind of a wild vague screaming at clouds.

I don't think he knows what he's talking about. 5e barely shares anything with 4e at all. Fuck, 5e is closer to Star Wars Saga edition than 4e.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.