[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>magic system based off Harry Potter >Subtract the OP spells

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Harry potter wand beam.jpg (32KB, 450x272px) Image search: [Google]
Harry potter wand beam.jpg
32KB, 450x272px
>magic system based off Harry Potter
>Subtract the OP spells
>Add in staves, orbs, tralismans, articles of clothing, rings, geometric shapes, runes, vases/boxes, spyglasses, wheels and animals as potential magical focuses beyond just wands

Sound like something you'd play?
>>
>>48631305
Sounds like a different magic system to me. But I would be interested I guess.
>>
So nothing like Harry Potter then?
>>
>>48631305
nope
>>
>>48631305
doesn't sound like harry potter to me anon
>>
>>48631305
harry potter is a pretty shitty setting
>>
>>48631305
The Barthemeus trilogy (spell check me) has a magic feel more like the one you are aiming for, maybe skim those books, they are easy reads.
>>
>>48631305
Harry Potter magic is almost an anything-goes system, though. The only major difference between this and say, D&D, is that you can spam any spell that doesn't require consumable ingredients. It could be fun as long as you avoid straightforward combat slogs where people would start spamming, and focus more on open-ended puzzle situations where players would feel more encouraged to use their wits and their more unusual spells.
>>
>magic system based off Harry Potter
What now? HP's magic is coherent enough to have a system for it? That's news to me.

HP was a fun series and has decent roleplaying opportunities as a RPG setting, but the magic never got the detail a transition to tabletop would require. We never hear any of the thaumatological theories of magic, never hear about any of the laws of magic (laws as in how we are bound by laws of physics; obviously a good amount of attention is paid to the literal laws that the ministry has passed), never hear about any of that stuff.

"Magic system based off Harry Potter" basically just means "GM fiat, power of narrative, and faux-latin" as far as I can tell.
>>
OP are you referring to something like an item based magic system? So something like-
>Wands are for directed and small scale spells. Cutting fabric, doing chores, levitating small objects, repairing something, stunning hexes
>Staves are for bigger and chaotic spells. Throwing boulders, fireballs, conjuring storms, etc.
>Rings are for constant or aura effects, symbolic of the Rings shape. Protection spells, detection spells, charm spells, attribute boosting spells, etc.
>Boxes are conjuring tools, as in you use a magic box or bag to conjure items in, or 'capture' and hold things otherwise impossible to catch (like a lightning bolt or freeze spring breeze)

It's an interesting concept but would be outrageously difficult to get to work. Does give Wizards a sense of being enchanter, artificers, and junk collectors all the same.
>>
>>48631305
Not really, Harry Potter's spells are pretty boring and stupid in general.

I would play for the drama tho, delicious school drama.
>>
>>48631305

What would half of those things even do?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.