[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Creating Gods? Pantheons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 0anhd.jpg (201KB, 741x836px) Image search: [Google]
0anhd.jpg
201KB, 741x836px
I've been working on this personal project for a while and I wanted to create a pantheon of gods for it. However, I had an idea of different religions head gods joining in on some type of tournament with their champion. But I've never made a pantheon before so my question to you is:

How the fuck do you create a fucking pantheon of gods being a bunch of dicks?
>>
>>48626523
Step 1: You don't
>>
>>48626568
I mean, yea, but humor me. Is it as simple as creating specific gods for bullshit reasons ala Disc World?
>>
>>48626686
okay, you should world build first, civ build second and god build third.
Gods should thrive around one of the following: nature, fundamental existance or civilization. God of the forest, check
God of crafting, check
God of fear, check
you get a few basic gods that are important cornerstones to your world. look to actual religions or pre-established pantheons in game. then throw out some badass sounding names and you have a pantheon.
dynamics are always a good idea as well. brother and sister gods, a fire god that has an intense hatred of mice because one crawled up his pant leg.
also, most pantheons have a "creator" that has bestowed a lower form of divinity upon essences he has deemed important enough to require guidance for.
>>
I tend to steer away from pantheon based cosmologies, sometimes religions have polytheism but I just find monotheism, pantheism, or other forms of religion more interesting
>>
>>48626523
The best way to create gods is to first figure out why they're worshipped.
>>
>>48627031
Okay, that's great advice. Right now I'm sort of working backwards and it seems like I'm hitting a wall because of it.

>>48627057
I'm showing my ignorance, but wouldn't Pantheism just be another form of a Pantheon? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.
>>
>>48626523
one group views them as being dicks, another doesn't. every non-human on the mainland in my setting veiws the Three chief gods/ancestors that the humans pay respect/worship as being the utter darkness that will swallow up the world for the things they did before their deific status, while the humans don't really care because they are separated by a giant ocean, a giant whale/bird guardian that they non-humans put up between them and the humans to keep the humans out, and by the humans considering tales of the 'old world' to be myth.
>>
>>48627031
also, racial gods are the best for your idea. figure out your races, give them slighly different fluff from the next guy and establish their deities.
Example:
Amazons and Orcs
Amazons are the daughters of a Giantess and the God of War. The first daughter; Gildean was a lesser deity that is the most honored in their religion. The second daughter; Ales was captured by demons and her rape led to the birth of the first orc lord; Durak, also a lesser deity. His birth killed his mother and he absorbed her essence, making him powerful enough to challenge his Aunt. A third deity, Ohmin, is the son of Gildean. He is a sorcerrer god and Exemplifies the male existance in their culture.
Males are rare (1 in a thousand) and infertile, but Extremely powerful magicians and long lived.
Females are strong and fertile at a young age (fuck off, this is not magical realm shit) and they are expected to mate with their first captive male.
Orcs are only male and must breed with other races' women. If they manage to capture an amazon, an Oni is born of the mating. These Oni are statistically the same as an orge mage in D&D
>>
To be honest Pantheons in DnD manner with god of ... are pretty boring. Try animism or monotheism.
>>
>>48627116
Pantheism more everything is part of God or a god, individual pebbles have divinity attached to them
>>
>>48627291
Agreed, I find d&d style religion boring.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.