[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Experiences with players you hate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 262
Thread images: 34

File: Ln3bk3h.jpg (38KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
Ln3bk3h.jpg
38KB, 400x310px
>New player joins
>Plays as rogue
>Wears all black
>Dual wields

>Checks every room for traps
>Barters as much as he can
>>
>>48609172
I mean DUAL WIELDING is pretty gay, but if you were living in a traditional dnd world you'd probably barter a lot too.
>>
>>48609172
I dunno, those last two sound normal if you like living lavishly and being notstabbed by invisible spikes
>>
>>48609172
>Party is bound together by pretty much nothing than genuinely caring for their fellow men and a yearning to understand the world

>New player genuinely cares for gold and yearn to do anything to earn it
>The party almost disband
>>
>player makes a character that imposes a huge burden on the rest of the group, i.e. a paladin or monster race
>player deliberately and routinely tries to ruin other players' fun because "muh character/alignment"
>player doesn't even try to pay attention outside of combat, stutters through all dislogue, and does other shut like play hearthstone while playing
>player has no character beyond a stereotype/characrer from media they're ripping off (I just straight up ban dwarves these days)
>player expects the world to conform to video game logic, such as there being "dungeons" to loot
>player constantly talks about their stats, build, and abilities they might get in 10 levels

>>48609172
That sounds like a dumb thing to hate.
>>
>Player joins
>Character Refuses to join the party and goes off to do his own thing.
>>
>>48609275
>>48609289
Except that the merchant's would also most likely not want to lower the prices, and it ruins the price I set, which in return, ruins the balance.

As for the traps, I'd usually tell the players, when to roll, to see if they notice the traps.
>>
>>48609291
How'd the party almost disband? What'd the new player do?
Why not have the party kick the new member out?
>>
>>48609334
>Except that the merchant's would also most likely not want to lower the prices

A merchant would rather make a sale than make marginally more money an unknown amount of time from now.
>>
>>48609334
>Except that the merchant's would also most likely not want to lower the prices
Yes. That's what barter is all about: convincing the other guy he got more than you out of it while it's actually the opposite. That's why it's a difficult skill to master, and why merchant probably have a lot of skillpoints in it.

>and it ruins the price I set, which in return, ruins the balance.
If the players get more gold one way or another, add more monsters. If your equation is any harder, you might be doing it wrong.
>>
>>48609334

Yeah, you know, deception is used EXACTLY to make people do what they usually wouldn't.
Then again, is it too difficult to calculate something like a stupid 20% discount? Chances are that you're one of those boring, railroading GMs (>balance), or just baiting. I hope for the latter.
Then ugh, TELLING your players where the traps are, ruining their immersion. Wow.
>>
>>48609334
>and it ruins the price I set, which in return, ruins the balance.
Your balance is so fine that a player getting a 10% discount on some purchases "ruins" it?

Please tell us you're not playing D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, or D&D fifth ed. Because if you're running any of those and you're worried about a martial character breaking the game with a clearance-sale 10 foot pole, then you've got your priorities fucked.
>>
>>48609377
Basically, the party was a bunch of dysfunctional people holding together because they're less dangerous to themselves and the world around them together than alone. Think the Avengers, except way less powerful.

And honestly, for what was pretty much the first time in my life, I really felt like we were playing in a heroic, dramatic setting, not yet-another-smash-goblins-loot-weapons.

Then came this guy who's playing a mercenary, and whose only reason to stay with the PCs at all is that he's contractually bound to do so. The almost-disband was because the quality of the game significantly dropped since he joined, and we had either the option to disband or try and work together to make a better game.

We can't exactly kick him for two reasons; the first is that it'd create RL tension, and we definitely don't want that; the second is that our GM is still new at this and would all too quickly blame himself and decide to not GM ever again - which would be a damn shame because he has plenty of potential.
>>
It's not 100% relevant but I hate the way that 95% of people haggle these days, both in game and in real life.

They just keep saying numbers and trust in the goodwill of the salesman to knock 20-30% off the price. It's not on, you should have to provide justifications why the product is not worth what it's being charged at or at least give some cheeky banter to justify mates rates. It just fucks me off no end that people respond to "It's 50$" with "40". Boring and shit.
>>
File: 3300C14664.jpg (352KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3300C14664.jpg
352KB, 1280x720px
I had a fellow player turn full That Guy literally overnight.

>Finish a PF session with characters retiring to high profile positions in our just-saved kingdom. Solid campaign, all was good.
>This Bro had been our party Cleric, was cool guy, a narrativist who RPed well.
>Start new 3.5 FR campaign very next night
>first thing is doing character gen
>DM says Good and Neutral characters only please
>This Bro says he wants to try CE
>DM says sorry, but no
>This Bro flips modes into That Guy
>argues with DM for 50 minutes.
>starts with reasoning
>ends up getting personal by insulting the DM's competance
>That Guy finally declares "Fine, I'll be CN instead then."
>we sigh in relief
>That Guy adds "I can play that exactly the same as CE anyway, so whatever"
>another twenty minutes arguing.
>That Guy is claiming "Well you can't tell me how to play my character, that's completely out of order"
>everyone discouraged and worn out
>DM ends session early, claiming he just remembered he needs to go to work early tomorrow
>nothing accomplished
>two players already suddenly saying they "might not be able to make the next session"
>>
>>48610184
A lot of people are just really bad st haggling. If you're an ordinary clerk you can always just respond with "I'm sorry, I don't have the authority to give any discounts."

If the customer looks like someone who would disprove of having his manliness questioned you can always say "Sorry, $50. If you need to talk it over with your wife before making a purchase, I fully understand."

It also depends on what they're buying. But I'd never give a 20% discount on a $50 purchase out of the blue. That customer would have to be a really good one to be given that kind of offer.
>>
>>48610184
I mean a merchant is usually willing to go below their original price if it will get them a sale. You can also complain that they are charging more than what the object is worth in an attempt to rip you off, although that probably wouldn't work if the vendor just posts his prices.
>>
>>48609172
>player insists on playing an Evil character in an otherwise Good party
>also refuses to take any action to help the party or use his powers when the party is looking, as though he wanted us to think he's totally average and useless
>even when the situation is tailored to make it absolutely impossible to proceed without his powers, he pretends he can't do shit
>even when an opportunity to use his powers for personal gain is handed to him on a silver platter, he just stands there
>even when it's his turn and his next action will mean the difference between a clean victory and a certain death, all he does is ACTIVELY TAUNT THE ENEMY
>meanwhile other players aren't allowed to say anything about it because that would be metagaming
This happened twice, with two different players in two different groups, though the second one wasn't quite as bad. The second one was more "I'm only in this for myself and I'd leave you behind in a heartbeat" while the first was "I secretly want to murder all of you in your sleep" so I'll just give details on the first.
It was a superhero campaign where it just so happened the party composition had only one PC with an instant stun power, namely localized time control, which is as overpowered as it sounds, and that was the secretly evil PC whom no one else had met before or suspected had any powers.
The enemy was an immortal suicide bomber with around 20 hostages, rigged to explode if he released his grip on a switch, then he would disappear and come back a few days later. Negotiation had barely succeeded in buying a little time, which I admit was partly my fault, but regardless there were only two ways to beat him: either get the switch out of his hand without him noticing, or move him off the map without him noticing. Both would've been easy to do by freezing his time, if the secretly evil PC had told the rest of the party that it was an option and agreed to the bare minimum of teamwork.
>>
>>48610907

This brings up an interesting question in my mind. If I wanted to play a character who's Lawful Evil because he wants to rule, but is willing to work with the group because helping them would further his own means and does nothing to actively sabotage their objectives, would I still be That Guy for trying to bring it up?
>>
>>48609333
>Player joins
>Character Refuses to join the party and immediately retires to open up an inn/shop
>Is upset when he gets less screentime.
>>
>>48611034
Well if the groups alignment is good then doing nothing to actively sabotage their objectives is out of character and could slowly push you out of the evil category.

In order to keep the Lawful Evil alignment you've got to keep doing Lawful Evil things. You could probably bullshit that you do those things on the side but depending on how much Good the group is doing it will likely offset your Alignment a significant amount.

Now, you could start as Lawful Evil, do good thing with the group up until your goal is in view, then switch into full betrayal mode and gain the Lawful Evil back, but without planning this out with the GM, you're just asking for trouble.
>>
>>48610907
(cont)
At this point I was doing the best I could to stay in-character and make the best of a hopeless situation, because as far as my character knew, there was no course of action that didn't result in an explosion. I could only hope, as a player, that our evil time controller had a sense of self-preservation and would bail us out, since she had gone back in time to pose as a hostage and get right next to the bomber. Worst of all, due to the way her power works, no one even remembered in-character she was there at the start of the scene, even as a supposedly unremarkable bystander.
So what does she do? She taunts the bomber, dares him to blow everyone up including her. Then she explicitly ends her turn when she still has an action left. So of course the bomber explodes and lots of people die. The time controller escapes by GM fiat but is no longer a PC.
That was a long time ago and I'm not angry anymore, but it made me HATE players who keep their character's powers a secret from the other PCs for no good reason. Unless the point of the game is PVP and we don't know anything out-of-character, I insist you tell the party what you do and what you want.
>>
>>48611202

But what if the LE character sees the group's actions' aftereffects as an opportunity to sweep in and take control of areas, therefore using them to expand his own influence privately?

I'm thinking the Leadership feat would be great for this.
>>
>>48611220
>GM allowing time manipulation of any kind.
>>
>>48611202
>Well if the groups alignment is good then doing nothing to actively sabotage their objectives is out of character and could slowly push you out of the evil category.
Why is that? I don't see why an evil person should really care that their allies are helping widows and orphans as long as their own evil plans are being advanced and protected. Its not like every evil character is dedicated to "Evil" as some kind of metaphysical concept.
>>
>>48611262
Once again, this kind of thing should be planned with the GM privately to pull off without pissing off everyone else. And even then, the GM should be cool with it first. He might have a different direction for the story than what you have in mind.
>>
>>48611262
Why is he still lawful evil if he gains nothing from it and he has to hide it from people he fights life-or-death battles with on a regular basis? Evil players are just retarded.
>>
>>48611339
But why is that character evil? Why do you have to make someone who kind and women and sells them off as sex slaves when it adds nothing to the game besides more work for the non-stupid-evil members of the party.
>>
>>48611339
Their alignment should be determined by their actions. They could have a final evil plan they keep in mind but if they are helping their allies with widows and orphans they will accrue some small amount of Good. They wont switch back to Evil until they start doing Evil shit again.
>>
>>48609334

>ruins the balance.

If the integrity of your game is so fragile haggling a merchant down a few shekels for a sword will throw the whole thing into disarray then you have much bigger problems than players who like to lowball prices.
>>
>>48609275

> dual-wielding is gay

Get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>48611392
I don't know, ask someone who actually plays evil characters. I just don't think its inherently an awful idea with a mature party and in the right setting (ie not your standard D&D dungeon crawl)

>>48611414
That doesn't make a lot of sense. If someone fundamentally intends to commit an evil act and use the group of saints they're travelling with to provide cover, it doesn't matter how many orphans they help. They're still evil. I know things get tricky when Good and Evil exist as game mechanics and are intended to flux in play, but it doesn't make a lot of sense unless the character is actually changing their mind and becoming a better person.

There are plenty of historical examples of 'evil' people who performed acts that were pleasant and even charitable. It doesn't diminish whatever crimes they've commited.
>>
File: LexLuthor.png (371KB, 359x499px) Image search: [Google]
LexLuthor.png
371KB, 359x499px
>>48611392
Why does being evil mean, you gotta get you sex slave game going? You can be evil through other means
>>
>>48611489
>some people are inherently evil

Good one.
>>
File: the joint makes it extra evil.jpg (133KB, 750x1043px) Image search: [Google]
the joint makes it extra evil.jpg
133KB, 750x1043px
>>48611515

Too many people who play Evil don't understand the concept of selective or pragmatic villainy. Which is why GMs who have shit experiences with shit Evil players just ban the Lower Three alignments all together.

Which is a shame; it's totally possible to play an Evil character in a game without actually stepping on the party's toes. You just need to know your character, and know your group.
>>
>>48611339

That was my thought. As long as his ultimate motive is evil, anything he does can be considered evil, even if it's working with a good group with the same tasks.

>>48611350

Yes, that's true, but in a campaign like the ones I run (more open-world with a story they can take in any direction, but still has a story), it would work well.

>>48611376

He's gaining land and power from it, that's what he wants. He's evil because he's doing it for nothing but personal gain, possibly leaning toward LN, but still.

>>48611392

Why would he do that if it doesn't further his goals?

>>48611414

Actions? As I stated above, alignment is more motive than anything else. If a man saves a woman from a fire and gets rewarded for it, then another man saves her from a later fire only because he expects he'll get a reward, is he as good?
>>
File: 1453699773303.png (128KB, 237x218px) Image search: [Google]
1453699773303.png
128KB, 237x218px
>>48611539
I didn't say that and I don't think I even implied it. Thats a bit rude. All I'm saying is that a characters alignment is more a matter of their visible actions, but also their intentions.
>>
>>48609172
>Be new player
>Was actually encouraged by GM to TRIPLE WIELD
>Bullshit my way into some decent gear at an early level
>Everyone loved it
Is it because I wasn't edgy about it or just because of my group that it was all okay?
>>
>>48611692

Both. People will excuse all sorts of otherwise cringey behavior as long as you make it enjoyable.
>>
>>48609328

>players and GMs who get asshurt over nothing
>>
File: Oni_Giri.png (352KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Oni_Giri.png
352KB, 640x480px
>>48611692
triple wield you say?
>>
>>48609334
That trap rolling technique makes sure that the players know every time there is a trap, it's a horrible habit and you need to stop. The player is better than the DM in this situation
>>
>>48609172
You mean he performs an expected duty of class and has a visual idea of his character's theme? And on top of that be interacts with an npc?

Your hate is quite founded, OP. What an abominable new player.
>>
>>48611817

Alternately, a DM could give the players a Perception/Spot check if they enter a room cautiously, and/or point out auto-spotted traps based on passive perception. Having them check for false positives based on whether they're cautious or not keeps them on their toes and makes the game more fair on both ends.
>>
>>48611836

Apparently searching for traps and bartering with merchants makes the game imbalanced.
>>
>>48611781
Yes, I played with a group of weebs so Solo/Zolo/Zorro/whatever the fuck his name is jokes were aplenty. I refused to put any swords in my mouth though.
>>
>>48611917
Of course it does. They're very broken mechanics. On par with fighters using sword'n'board and standing in between the enemy and soft allies. And don't even get me started on wizards reading old languages or druids attempting to forage.
Absolutely disgusting gameplay today breaks my immersion, yanno?
>>
>>48612116

Yopu know what I hate? When people play bards that sing or play instruments. This is an RPG, not rock band!

And what's with people putting beards on dwarves? Absolutely terrible. It's like they've never even played the game before.
>>
>>48611692
Triple wielding is taking a concept commonly associated with edgy characters and taking it to a higher level so that it's ridiculous, almost parodical. Nothing edgy about that.
>>
>>48611877
do all non thieves get a passive perception check to spot traps. if so why do you have rouges as pc class, if anybody can do it? just keep taking a class ability away from a class and give it to all the classes. good choice!
>>
File: 100601.jpg (2MB, 720x8486px) Image search: [Google]
100601.jpg
2MB, 720x8486px
>>48611692
swordchucks, yo
>>
>>48612116
>>48612158
Can you two believe I actually had an aspiring game group member, who after paying for his membership card, dared to suggest I let him play something that was not a human male fighter?

Threw him out, sterilized his coaster and let the dungeon master's guild know that the maniac was loose among the scene.
>>
File: 1466353011929.jpg (94KB, 915x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466353011929.jpg
94KB, 915x960px
>>48612158
Ugh, charismatic bards telling tales are worse than poop-diaper changes.

Seriously, I don't know if I can continue to
DM if one more cleric acts as a mediator or tries to build good party relations with the village npcs by tending to their sick and wounded.

These players are trying to get under my skin.
>>
>>48612271
It has been so long since I actually played any dnd but do barbarians also get trap sense?
>>
>>48610907
>>player insists on playing an Evil character in an otherwise Good party
>after a 90 second argument he is punted from the game and we have a fun adventure
>porblem?
>>
>>48612300
You did the right thing. Such debauchery is the gangrenous attitude that is rotting our hobby edition by edition.

You showed real moral courage in the amorphous face of a despotic cretin, and I'm proud of you.
>>
>>48611781
ohhh, I get it- the sword in his mouth meant that to stay in character, the player could no longer talk. that's why they loved it.
>>
>>48612270
Please help me understand this. What exactly is wrong with dual wielding? Is it an association with asshat players or something? If I've got two hands I'm failing to see what's wrong with using two (non-projectile) weapons if the system allows it.

Like, had I just run around with two swords in my hand rather than constantly magicking the shit out of three would it still have been okay so long as I wasn't casting magic missile at the darkness and killing things for the sake of sharpening my edge?
>>
>>48612386
>Is it an association with asshat players or something?
Edgy try-hard characters, so yeah.
>>
>>48612386

This is exactly it. Dual wielding is "cool" so therefore the only people who like it are morons with superficial taste.
>>
>>48612271

Some traps are better-hidden than others. A non-rogue could spot a lifted switch on the floor, for example, but not the subtleties of a well-laid trap that a rogue would notice through experience. Some traps can only be found by rogues for this reason.
>>
>>48612373

Here here, I think that he made the right call and it's good to know you warned your peers of the vagrant. Who knows what damage he could do if he, say, wanted to play a fighter who used an AXE? I mean can you even imagine such a thing?
>>
>>48612386
Short answer: Yes 100%

Long answer: Still yes, but with some background information. There are a couple reasons why dual-wielding is accosiated with edgelords, THAT GUYs, weebs, and whatever other label you want to slap on to the general population of shitty players.
1) Drizzt Do'Urden. A popular character known for being a good Drow, kinda broody, dual-wielding, and having a panther pet. Unimaginative faggots always decide to rip off existing characters rather than make their own, and the popularity of Drizzt meant that a lot of people had to deal with his knockoffs. Shitters played broody dual-wielders
2) Drizzt Do'Urden Clones. Basically so many people copied the original character not only for RPGs but for books and 'toons that people started copying the copies without knowing the original. Every generation got worse, like xeroxing and xerox. The shittyness became distilled.
3) Obnoxious anime. For some reason or another, you also see dual-wielding in a lot of the cheaper anime; poorly-written angsty/hotheaded protags would dual-wield katana. Same issue as the first two entries but with a slice of weeb on the side.

All this is compounded by 3.PF, which dominated RPGs for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time and still affects the industry to this day, had horrendous rules for dual-wielding, so PCs that took that option were pretty shit at fighting. All this added up to lazy knockoff characters that sacrificed effectiveness for looking like Drizzt or Anime Protag #CT546-1. They were so prevalent that the imagery just sort of stuck.

Now it has passed into the realm of memery, with people saying dual-wielding is edgy just because they heard it from other people.
>>
>>48612462
Rouge's cunning action is fairly usless if you're going to use the offhand bonus action every turn, but it does give you a second chance at sneak attack and gives you another melee option. 2 weapon fighting isn't terrible with a fighter if you're going dex. in 5e at least
>>
>>48612671
Enlightening. Thanks for taking the time to either copy paste or type that out.

>>48612460
Ours used a scythe. It was a brutally effective character, but man if it wasn't cringey to hear how the dude played out his attacks.
>>
>>48612800
I bet there was a lot of posing, twirling, and slamming on the ground.
>>
>>48613140
More eviscerating than posing, but you're dead on for everything else.
>>
>>48609172
player is 12 years ol
>>
>>48609275
There is actually minimal to no proof of a barter economy ever existing.
>>
File: icXlGOf.jpg (36KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
icXlGOf.jpg
36KB, 600x398px
>>48609172

>helping player make a character
>"I want to make a healer support dude!"
>k
>gives the character nothing but combat abilities and stats
>"don't wanna be useless in combat"

>player makes a lone wolf with no interest or motivation
>constantly brags about cool effective build

>different player chooses one out of three names for every single character he plays
>character is usually an anime or video game character insert anyways

>best roleplayer I've ever had
>usually paying attention
>never shows up

>is gf
>confuses rpg with erp too often

I need more experience with other groups, desu
>>
>>48610336

Here's what you do:

meet up at a different groupie's house without telling the shitbird. never play with insufferable twat again.
>>
File: h018 - Copy.jpg (228KB, 781x523px) Image search: [Google]
h018 - Copy.jpg
228KB, 781x523px
>>48609172
>First time playing Pathfinder
>Start of game off a shipwreck, stumbling around on an island
>Ork Shaman, catfolk rogue, edgy samurai/ninja with the "Heh, I'll do it myself..." attitude, and jew

The guy literally made his character a personification of the "jew" joke
>greedly rubs hands together
>does aNYTHING for gold
>cares only for gold
>Cant fight
>No Motive, only to get gold.

We played about 3 sessions before i just got so fucking mad with the edgy "I'll go alone...." character, and the fucking joke character that each time i got a "hey wana play tonight" message, I just made an excuse or ignored it. Not worth playing a shit game.
>>
>>48610336
Fucking Chaosfags.
>>
>>48615254
Is there fire shooting out of his dick?
>>
File: 1467324922023.jpg (149KB, 499x670px) Image search: [Google]
1467324922023.jpg
149KB, 499x670px
>>48609172
There is a special place in hell for people who waste 30+ minutes of the session time haggling for mundane goods, or doing something similarly inconsequential.

I plan to DM soon, and one of the first houserules I make will be that we do not roleplay haggling in-character. Players can say "my character haggles for it", roll if applicable, and then he either gets the discount or not. Either that or PCs sell for the normal price. Then we can all move on with our lives instead of blowing away our precious free time over some quantity of gold that no-one cares about.

The worst part is that most of the time you'd actually make more money spending that session-time on fun adventuring stuff instead of penny-pinching.
>>
File: 1460402432777.png (27KB, 593x539px) Image search: [Google]
1460402432777.png
27KB, 593x539px
>>48616346
>i did this in my last session without even thinking about it
I'm sorry fampai
>>
>>48610336
Your dm could have just set it in Damara and watched the order of paladins lead by a 35th level paladin who defeated the lich king if he just wanted a CE character.

Have fun sitting in prison for the rest of your life in a place named so ridiculous the gay space marines have to run it.
>>
>>48611489
>There are plenty of historical examples of 'evil' people who performed acts that were pleasant and even charitable. It doesn't diminish whatever crimes they've commited.

If those "evil" people did a lot of good actions and then died before they put their evil plan into action are they good or evil?
>>
>>48612615
A fighter with an axe? Barbaric. Though not nearly so much as a cavalier who fights from atop a steed and uses his status to secure above average amenities for his fellow party members. Bastards, every single one of them.
>>
>>48612271
>implying that searching for traps is the only thing rogues are good for
>implying that the 3.5 method of dealing with traps is good gameplay
>>
File: cry.gif (4MB, 360x235px) Image search: [Google]
cry.gif
4MB, 360x235px
>>48609681
>it'd create RL tension
>ever playing in RL
Ha-ha-ha-ha... ha.
>>
>>48612682
Things like cunning action are more about versatility than anything else, to me.

You don't have to use it every turn, but if you wanna break away or hide you still can, without giving up your action.
>>
>>48615178
I feel like he might actually mean 'haggle' in this context...
>>
>>48616346
>The worst part is that most of the time you'd actually make more money spending that session-time on fun adventuring stuff instead of penny-pinching.

This is why I don't understand people who visit 3+ grocery stores to save $10, just work a little more and save all the hassle in a third of the time
>>
>>48616346
>Too much roleplay
>Get to the combat already
Please abandon any plans that put you in the GM seat.
>>
>>48617469
The rest of the group doesn't want to hear you haggle for ten minutes over the price of a fucking rope, you mong.
>>
>>48617467
A depressing majority of people don't understand the concept of opportunity cost. The phrase "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind.
>>
>>48617467
>>48617524
Samefag who hit Post too soon:

You can see these same sort of people at work in any massively multiplayer game that involves crafting. I can't count the number of retards in EVE who would undercut me below cost because "the minerals are free if I mine them myself".
>>
>>48609172
If he's regularly rolling to hide and stay hidden while sneaking wearing all black isn't a bad fucking thing.

It'd be way more obnoxious if he was dressed in edgelord garish colors and constantly bragged about being an elite assassin

If you don't wanna be seen in the dark l, wear black...

Dual wielding is fine you're dumb for caring

Barter and speech are skills that exist for a reason quit being a pussy and give them a few gold discount for the effort

You can solve this by rolling for traps automatically under the assumption that his character is on the look out for them. I bet you're the kind of faggot who gets pissed at people searching for hidden doors and traps and disbelief of illusions yet then throws these hazards at players later on.

Tl;dr have you tried taking the cock out of your mouth
>>
>>48609172
I say just be a better DM.
>>
>>48617629
>Tl;dr have you tried taking the cock out of your mouth
I don't think OP is flexible enough for that.
>>
File: Ragecopy.png (235KB, 582x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ragecopy.png
235KB, 582x600px
>>48609681
>create RL tension
I'm still upset one of my characters didn't get to murder party members which caused trouble to the party.
Like that one time where a cannibal joined us and almost ate us.
>no anon, it's its not that guy making him do it, its the system, dont murder him violently
>>
>>48612386
>What exactly is wrong with dual wielding?
Back in the ye olde days dual wielding was seen as a joke because if you're not ambidextrous, you couldn't do it properly. Also because your combat efficiency went down to 0 because you couldn't block any of the attacks.
Due to those reasons it was only used as a show in circus.
>>
>>48617467
Autism. As a walmart cashier, it comes down to autism. I have idiots who come in and, despite knowing we will price match anything, will go to the store on the other side of town to buy the can of regular brand soup there rather than just telling me its 10 cents cheaper there and now it is here. Maybe its a hate for walmart, if it was, why do they spend $100? Why do I go on about this?

Autism. If someone does something completely pointless for hours on end, its Autism.
>>
>>48609172
so? I fail to see the problem
>>
>>48617767
> What is a companion weapon
>>
>>48609172
Oh, look. It's an "OP is That Guy" thread.
>>
Are there people who are worse than dual-wielders?
Short answer: Yes. People who hate dual-wielders.

Case in Point:
>>48612462
>rejects other players because their characters are dual-wielding
>calls them superficial
>superficial
Bwahahaha. You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>48617942
You know what the worst people are?
Le polearm is superior people.
>>
>>48617915
I love those threads.
>>
>>48617952
Yeah, both dual-wielder haters and those are suspect of being giant HEMAfags. Play SoS if you want guys, but keep your
>muh realism
out of my fantasy game.

>>48617970
There's literally nothing wrong about any point he has mentioned. What an asshat.
>>
>>48611202
> Well if the groups alignment is good then doing nothing to actively sabotage their objectives is out of character and could slowly push you out of the evil category.

Very nice bait. I'll bite.

The Antipaladin, according to PF, can do Good / Lawful deeds, as long as it serves a greater, evil purpose. For example, he could hang with a paladin, do a few good deeds, wait for society to fail him (by example, liberating a criminal they captured) only to lead him toward ruthlessness and then Evil.

On the other hand, what determines whether you're Evil or not, in my campaigns, is what you would be willing to do to achieve your goals. "Make sure the city of Greystone is safe and prospers" sounds good, but when you poison the water supply of local elves that could oppose to the city's lumber industry, you're doing an evil act. Likewise if you desecrate their town, raise their deads as skeletons, equip them in full plates that hides their features and then clear the area of monsters (e.g. Basilisk).

Another character might save orphans and refuse rewards so that people owe him. When his reputation is well enough, nobody will oppose his weapon / alcohol & drug businesses, recruitment into cults will be booming if done well, and his claim to nobility will be supported by the local population.
>>
>>48618163
> Another character might save orphans and refuse rewards so that people owe him. When his reputation is well enough, nobody will oppose his weapon / alcohol & drug businesses, recruitment into cults will be booming if done well, and his claim to nobility will be supported by the local population.

Such a character will be vocal with "When I need you, I will be able to count on you, will I? I have your word."
>>
>>48617852
>As a walmart cashier

I'm so sorry.
>>
Unless you are doing some sort of Gentleman Bastards, Locke Lemora type adventure, I do not fully understand your ire here.
>>
>>48618163
This guy gets evil.

The slow ruination is always the sweeter prize.
>>
File: 1438943622599.jpg (20KB, 283x397px) Image search: [Google]
1438943622599.jpg
20KB, 283x397px
>>48609172
>New player joins
>Plays as wizard
>Wears a robe
>Wields a staff

>Casts spells
>Shops for rare books and shit
>>
>>48612386
> What exactly is wrong with dual wielding?
-6 / -10 to hit, weapon damage + Str Bonus / Weapon damage

Unless your off-hand weapon is light, and you take Two-Weapon Fighting, Double Slice, Two-Weapon Feint, Weapon Finesse, a decent strength, two magic weapons, sneak attacks, a very high Dex modifier, and sacrifice the concept of moving more than 5 feet per round.

Just for a style that is based around a form of RP arrogance, you spend a whole lot of resources and still get penalties. Even rangers are better off picking archery as a style, Power Attack and a two-handers.
>>
>>48612386
Drizzt dual wields so all duel wielding characters are automatically drizzt wannabes.

Never mind that parrying daggers were used in irl dueling and carrying a small off-hand weapon is much more socially acceptable than hauling a big fucking shield or a greatsword around. No, it's "edgy" because neckbeards don't like it.
>>
>>48617469
It's not about combat, but that penny pinching rp could be replaced with like, literally any other sort of roleplaying that isn't boring, like talking to characters
>>
>>48618234
The point is: an Evil character can always mesh with a Good group if played well.
> Lawful Evil pledge an oath to serve, and serves loyally. He often suggest the most expeditious way to deal with a problem (poison a blade, kill a prisoner...) and backs it with logical reasoning, but never disobey the de facto party leader. He doesn't mind the good publicity as he can better manipulate some elements of society with it.

> A Neutral Evil character is incredibly racist and bigoted toward Evil races, as well as lazy and bent toward riches. He won't take leadership (too much efforts), joins for an opportunity to kill sentient creatures without being judged and stays for the easy money. More than happy to "question and dispose of" prisoners. Might pickpocket a bit.

> A Chaotic Evil character recognizes the party Leader's strength but does not comprehend why he burdens himself with ethics and morality. When the party deals in a civilized manner, he sulks and act a little passive aggressive, removing himself of certain conversations entirely. He fights viciously and constantly remember that should the Party Leader shows weakness, he will challenge him.
>>
>>48618350
> Might pickpocket NPCs a bit.
Kenders are cancers.
>>
>Set up Super hero game
>Players bring in characters
>>Telporter with trench coat and katana and *Teleports behind you* mentality
>>Literal magneto rip off except not old and with lots of cash
>>Some character ripped strait out of the boom and expected to get all of the advantages he has in the book without putting them on his character sheet.
>>Last guy just took some guy straight out of some anime, so boring I couldn't even remember what he did. Something about super sight?
>Still had fun.
>>
>>48618358
It's a good thing nobody actually plays kenders.
>>
>>48618277
Or you could, you know, not play 3.PF and have actually viable dual-wielding.
>>
>>48618399
But then what would he whine about?
>>
>>48617708
Well then it is not you but the system making you kill criminals/abominations, medieval times were tough and death is most often the punishment.
>>
>>48611220
Why even take someone with you who has no powers and does nothing in difficult situations. No superhero team wants deadweight, should have kicked her out.
>>
>hurr to be evil you should actively work against the party or have some grand evil plan
>I just made this up and this is why I hate evil characters
So does every neutral character have to have a grand neutral plan to kill every good and evil person in the world then? Or constantly work against the party to preserve balance between good and evil deeds?

Evil in DnD essentially means selfish. Perhaps egotistical. Not necessarily a lolsorandumb murderer or a plotting, mustache-twirling villain. Your senile old neighbor who used to be an objectivist when he was younger and believes self-interest is the only thing that matters is DnD Evil, even though he hasn't harmed a fly in his entire life. An evil character is out for himself. But nothing says an evil character should constantly pursue doomsday plots, or that he can't form meaningful relationships with other party members that don't involve backstabbing. My current character is a NE orc barbarian. Her main motivation is money and worldly pleasures. She will not stick her neck out to save a burning orphanage or something unless she can profit from it, but she relates with and forms attachments with the party just fine, because they have to work together and an evil person is still a person.
>>
>Douchebag knows DM and whenever something happens he screams out he totally knows what the DM is planning to do because he's either been in this situation before or knows the DM's metagame too good
>Douchebag constantly has a condescending attitude and either keeps talking about how if he was in my situation he would figure things out immediately or how easy the puzzles are or how novice everyone but him is at roleplaying
>Douchebag has been playing custom homebrew systems up until now and didn't even know how spells work
>Douchebag is playing as a half elf half thiefling NE Rogue who is trying to track down his dead dad's killer and don't care 'bout no one but himself
> Douchebag splits from the party at end of session 1 and misses the next and probably the following session
>Douchebag almost killed me for running away from combat that I deemed wortless to be in
>I really wanna kill douchebag but I'm playing as a good dude
>>
>>48612386
Yes, but it also serves no practical purpose irl to dual wield.
You can't put much force behind either weapon as a result of one handing each, and you can't block at all.
There is also no leverage like you would have with a two handed weapon, nor the defensive or tactical advantage of a shield.
Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't allow extra hits in the way you'd think. You're either hitting with both simultaneously, in which case you're better off just two handing a single weapon, or you're alternating between blades, in which case you may as well just use one weapon in one hand.
>>
File: Iruinedtwoweaponfighting.jpg (47KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Iruinedtwoweaponfighting.jpg
47KB, 800x450px
>>48611466
Say that dual wielding isn't gay again to my face
>>
>>48618350
>opposite alignment parties
Sigh. Where do I begin?
>>
>Guy chooses mage class
>takes all points out of intelligence and puts them into magic
>Forgot to tell the other players that loud noises trigger him
>I throw a holy hand grenade
>*TRIGGERED*
>50 magic 1 intel results in a tactical nuke that leaves a crater the size of london where the human palace used to be
> >2 hendersons
>plot is retconned, the retarded mage is given a silencing amulet which he connot remove
>>
>>48618399
>dual-wielding dysfunctional
>let's abandon the whole rule system
>>
>>48618795
Different Anon. It's not gay.
>>
>>48609328

>banning races because you're an autist who needs everyone to play something you think is unique or original

wew lad, glad i don't play in your shitty ass games
>>
File: lexluthorcakes.jpg (40KB, 640x326px) Image search: [Google]
lexluthorcakes.jpg
40KB, 640x326px
>>48611515
Exactly, you don't need sex slave games going on to be evil.
>>
>>48618277
>-6 / -10 to hit, weapon damage + Str Bonus / Weapon damage
>Unless your off-hand weapon is light, and you take Two-Weapon Fighting, Double Slice, Two-Weapon Feint, Weapon Finesse, a decent strength, two magic weapons, sneak attacks, a very high Dex modifier, and sacrifice the concept of moving more than 5 feet per round.

I hate dual wielding as much as the next guy, but Two Weapon Feint, Weapon Finesse, sneak attacks and a high Dex are not needed.
Assuming this is PF, you only need Two Weapon fighting to knock -6/-8 (not -6/-10) down to a -2/-2 penalty (-6/-10 is the penalty for using a non light weapon in your off hand, which is only going to give you an average decrease of 1 point of damage).
Double slice is sort of useful, but unless your strength is absurdly high, it's probably only going to be giving you a +1 or +2 damage bonus to your off-hand attack.
Two weapon feint isn't a bad idea, but feinting isn't necessary to overcome the -2 penalty, and you're better off with improved feint anyway.
Weapon finesse only adds your dex bonus to your attack rolls instead of str, so it's better to just have high str as that's where your damage is going to come from anyway.
Sneak attacks are by no means required, it's just that the sneak attack bonus is applied for every hit landed on a flanked/flat footed opponent, so as a result, TWF is preferred if you have sneak attack because it allows you to make more attacks than any other build.
Dex is only needed if you're playing a class that can't use heavy armour and don't want to waste a feat on it.
Really the only negatives are that it takes one extra feat vs sword and board or two handed weapons, it requires twice the magical/special material weapons you'd usually have, and you can't use all your attacks and move in the same turn. In return you're getting way more attacks and potentially (if you're doing it right), way more damage compared to other builds, which truly is a testament to how shitty PF is.
>>
File: Crazy Hassan.jpg (545KB, 1980x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Crazy Hassan.jpg
545KB, 1980x1350px
>>48609172
>Not living in Fantasy Arabia and having brief jovial social skill challenges for every goods exchange.
>>
>>48609275
>DUAL WIELDING is pretty gay
not really
you use pair of weapons to parry, not to get "[standard number of attacks]*2", which is unfortunatelly what 80% of games does wrongly

it makes no sense only in field battles with big formations, cavalry and massed archers
but in skirmishes in narrow city streets between half a dozen people (the kind of shit a rogue/thief would most likely get involved at), it is WAY better than two handed weapons and polearms
and good luck doing rogue things with a longsword and a shield on you
>>
>>48618384
>Set up Super hero game
there's your problem
>>
Dual wielding fists/fist weapons seems pretty good to me, as do daggers. A buckler or shield is heavier and harder to conceal, after all. Would you two-hand a fist?
>>
>dual wielding is gay and/or edgy
My staple rogue uses quick-draw and TWF to rapid-fire throwing daggers; is this edgy/gay?
>>
>>48609334
>WAAA MY PLAYERS ARE AFFECTING MY WORLD WITH THEIR CHOICES

holy cow you're That GM
>>
>>48619248
This.

>>48609334
I mean, why is bartering so hard? Can't you just set up prices higher than usual already? Letting they go on a 10gp discount will ruin the balance?
My players always barter, and I love it. It's like roleplaying Pawn Stars.
>>
>>48612294
Long but worth the read. Any links if there's more
>>
>>48619197
>rapid throwing daggers
Woah there partner, do you have enough object interactions for that?
>>
>>48619197
throwing daggers as main weapon are retarded
you simply can't die from a 1-2 cm deep throwing knife wound (even if you hit him in the eye, he'll be incapacitated from the pain, but it's unlikely he'll just drop dead right away)

they are a decent distraction (as in "oh shit, there is a sharp projectile going at me, I better duck and lower my defense against other attacks") just before you jump at the guy and go all sewing machine on him with a dagger or bash his skull in with a club
>>
>>48609328
>paladin
>huge burden

Either you or your players are retards who need to die. Possibly both.
>>
>>48618795
Triple gay, especially since you posted Mary Sue worship: The anime.
>>
>>48619380
>you simply can't die from a 1-2 cm deep throwing knife wound
You can if the knife is on fire and/or explodes when it hits you.
>>
>>48619630
Or poisoned.
>>
>>48618656
>Half-anything
>Tiefling
>NE Rogue
>It's all about me

There are so many red flags I can't even fathom why he was even allowed to build that dude. A few of those can be played out well but this screams, hate me the char. Funny how he wanted to kill you for running away when he is NE and would have done the same thing. I am very sorry for you.
>>
>>48615254

I thought you were describing one PC for a minute there and I was trying to reconcile all that information into one person.

A chick who is shitty at building characters or sticking to her build intention who doesn't do group interaction and is proud of her minmaxing always makes her character into an anime/vidya expy but who is an excellent RPer if she ever shows up beyond character creation
>>
>>48619681
I guess that's a bit more stealthy, yeah.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 575x432px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 575x432px
>>48619152
Captain Kirk would.
>>
>>48619297
It's actually a sprite webcomic (and it looks a bit shitty at first, but gets way better later on) but here's the first page:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/02/episode-001-were-going-where/

Strap in, 'cause it's gonna be one hell of a ride.
Also watch out for the mother of all brick jokes.
>>
ITT: bad players ruin games because DMs are afraid to tell them no. People that weak aren't cut out for DMing.
>>
>>48619728
>>48619728
It was kinda shitty because they DID run away, it's just that there were 12 bandit huts and they barely killed 3, that's when I ran and 2 guys stayed behind to fight another dude in full plate and shield, after that 8 more dudes came out of the remaining huts but by then I was long gone and they started to run. Somehow this was a betrayal on my end but I their justifications sucked and also a third character got stabbed and was bleeding out with 3 hp and somehow they wanted me to stay. It was a shitty situation overall and one of those "I know EVERYONE BUT ME is wrong but everyones arguing and tensions".
The dude leaving was the best, I can't tell from his rp what kinda character he even plays or if it's cringy but his OOC attitude is the just so condescening and shitty I really hate the dude morethan his RP, even though I fear he's a bit of a powerplayer
>>
File: 1424841479148.gif (1017KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
1424841479148.gif
1017KB, 500x245px
I really don't run into bad players a lot, despite the communities I play in. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for people's shit, or something.

Even the game I had with gurochan was fine.
>>
>>48609172

I wasn't the GM for this, but I once had the misfortune of playing alongside a guy who would literally want to stop people from roleplaying.

He would go on OOC rants if we did things that weren't directly related to our missions of

>Go to site X
>Kill bad guys
>Possibly steal a piece of equipment
>Go back home an rest.

Talking to the secretary at a building? REEEEE!
Talking to each other in transit just to establish character and not to compare tactical data? REEEEEEE!
Cooking our food on a field expedition? REEEEE!

He literally wanted the game to be "interactive tactical puzzle" and anything that detracted from that would cause him to blow up. I wound up leaving the game after it became clear that the DM wouldn't do shit about it.
>>
>>48617538
I love those kinds of players. They're the type who autopilot haulers and mine AFK in untanked retrievers.

:^)
>>
>>48609172

I've told this story once or twice before, but it still boggles my mind. And this was most of a party too

>Low level party
>Get hired to deliver a message from city A to city B
>Hear tell of bandits infesting the roadway.
>Traipse down road taking no precautions whatsoever.
>Get ambushed, net tossed over them, covered by lots of guys with crossbows.
>Not wanting to do an instant TPK right out of the gate, I have the bandits loot their gold, and destroy a lot of their own missles.
>Stings, but I probably only destroyed like 10% of the party's wealth; they didn't have that much loose change after weapons, armor, and other necessities like food and camping equipment.
>Players get out of net
>Brief huddle on what to do.
>Three of the four characters kill themselves, because there's "clearly no point in going on."
>>
>>48612027
Evan is that you?
>>
>>48620580
Those kind of people are idiots. That's why I use the age old method of talking to the idiots and trying to figure out why they don't like role playing in a role playing game.
>>
>>48609172
>Tries to sell item to merchant at premium price
>Merchant doesn't want/need it, will only pay partial amount
>Attempts to haggle
>Is plainly explained to that the merchant doesn't want/need it, so he'd only buy it for a fraction of the full price
>Attempts skill check to convince him, fails
>Still continues to try and haggle for near full price
>Stalls the game for 10+ minutes being a dense idiot who thinks they deserve a full refund for a starting item

>DM finally caves

I don't know what gets me more mad; the player near having an aneurysm over some 70 gold, or the DM who couldn't tell him to fuck off OOC.
>>
>>48620927
I've never had this problem. When I DM, I establish a clear rule on haggling, whereby a player has two choices:

1) Sell the item for half its base price, pretend the haggling happened off-camera. No risk, garaunteed payout
2) Try to haggle for a better price, with skill checks and RP, but if you fail you're stuck with a lower price
>>
>>48616177
Yeah, probably
it's actually the inspiration for a couple of my player's characters a while back
One of their better ideas

>>48619775
No, just a couple different people from my normal group, though some of them do the same shit as well.
>>
>>48620617
Sound like shit roleplayers, that or they really should be on suicide watch if they are that willing to kill themselves. I would really question their mental state either way. Maybe they don't really understand what type of game they are playing?
>>
>>48620390
This often happens when people don't get that you play a tabletop game cooperative and nobody is the main character. An evil character is not bad and if played right can add positive tension to a session. That guy sounds like he just likes to be contrarian whose goal is to destroy the group and gets angry if his totally obvious plot fails; because in his mind everything he is thinking up must work and the other players are more akin to NPCs who get to play as pawns in his game. This speaks volumes about his character and when I read how you characterized him; he seems pretty unlikeable as a person.
>>
>>48620580
Seems like he is just playing the wrong kind of game, what he wants is a wargame like Warhammer. Not really that guy but just in the wrong genre. Still pretty shitty to play with someone like that.
>>
>>48615854
Why not speak openly about it? Being passive aggressive of avoiding direct conflict like that will only ruin everything for everyone.

Just a well-intended advice.
>>
>>48617469
>Get to the combat already
That's not it.

It's like, I'm okay with people taking time to do RP stuff like writing a letter to your PC's sister, or chatter that helps establish the setting and characters. That stuff accomplishes something, it tells us things that enhance my enjoyment of the game, it might even be fun.

Haggling is different because it doesn't develop anything and is not fun for people watching it. All it does at the end of the day is save you like 20 gold or whatever. You probably won't even use that gold since you're such a cheapskate anyway, and our adventuring income dwarfs whatever tiny savings you achieved. We won't develop fond memories of you holding the game hostage over the most inconsequential in-game benefit.

I'm fine with people trying to get a deal. I get it, your PC is an adventurer and he wants that cash for +1 weapons and debauchery. Just determine your savings without wasting everyone's time, that's all I ask.
>>
File: 1427923896203.jpg (52KB, 263x263px) Image search: [Google]
1427923896203.jpg
52KB, 263x263px
>>48621003
But you see, you see the thing is anon, when the player is so god damn stupid and dense that they will constantly ignore anything the merchant says that isn't the price they want, going so far as to sweep the entire market row trying to pull this shit while knowing the same result will happen over and over again, at that point your preset rules won't matter. You can't stop autism.
>>
>Player is in from the start, but only bothers to show up to half or less of the sessions
>Playing a paladin female dragonborn who prefers to talk in ye olde knightly englishe
>Party is begged by emissaries of an elder god to help him
>Gives us an artifact
>Paladin player was absent for this session of course, and when we find the altar that we're supposed to plug the artifact into, she decides she doesn't want my Monk to do this.
>Mexicanstandoff.jpg
>Roleplay for a bit trying to convince her that we're trying to aid a sick Elder God that is on the side of the mortals
>She drops the knightly english to call me a cunt ICly and insists she's not going to allow me to use the artifact
>reflex testan
>pass, get attacked by paladin. She misses.
>artifact and altar together opens a portal to the realm that the elder god is in.
>I run in, turn out to be right as we go on a quest to heal the sickly Elder God to let it continue to aid us.
>She's having none of it, sulking the rest of the session
>I'm totally justified in my actions
>Paladin player never returns for future sessions.
Good riddance, bitch!
>>
File: 3DKite.jpg (255KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
3DKite.jpg
255KB, 1067x1600px
>>48618795
>filename
Kirito isn't enough of a impacting character to be able to ruin my meal, never mind an entire combat form.

Now, Kite? There was a good two weapon guy who was the hero of a game world. Got the better looking women while we're at it.
>>
>>48609172
>Bartering
Hoo boy.

>Player decides he wants to buy a slave
>Let him find a shitty slaver's shop, disguised as a normal shop
>Player decides he doesn't want to pay the price of the slaves (it's well within the party's funds and people were willing to split the cost with him)
>Dealer won't haggle, his prices are incredibly cheap already
>Player makes up some bullshit about wanting to free the slaves
>Derails the whole session to trick this shopkeeper into a disadvantageous position and kill him
>All this while another player is being held hostage by another group, 5 in and out of game minutes from being freed, and is sitting at the table with nothing to do because he was expected to be freed within 10 minutes of the game starting
>>
>I'm gonna roll an investigation check to see if there's anything interesting in this room
>throws die before I say anything

no you chucklefuck that's not how it works, reeeeeeeee
>>
>>48622202
>your players expect to have to roll dice to learn clues
>you haven't trained your players to know that you'll give them important clues without them prompting you
>you haven't dispelled their fear that a single bad die roll will deadlock the entire campaign
>>
>>48621930
Her behaviour is pretty toxic (sulking, swearin, not coming to the play at all), but the fact that some dubious Elder god wants your help and is totally on humanities site, is pretty dodgy and I would be hard pressed to name a situation where this did turn out to be the truth.
>>
>>48609328
>player constantly talks about their stats, build, and abilities they might get in 10 levels

That's me, I'm guilty. Is it so much to ask for a game that runs every single day for hours at a time so I can progress my character at a rate pleasing to me?!
>>
>>48612306
Don't even get me started on wizards who try to cast spells,I mean,who the fuck do they think they are?
Fucking assholes man
>>
>>48612682
>Rouge
Kys desu
>>
>>48622668
Once, I had a player who actually had a character sheet.

Naturally, we kicked him out of the group immediately.
>>
>>48622762
>Character sheet
You dodged a bullet there
>>
>>48622668
The sheer audacity is stunning. Last session our ranger suggested, with a serious face and all that, he intended to use his bow. Had to throw him out and now the shop we meet at has a poster with his face on, which says he is not to enter ever again. Some people lack any kind of common decency.
>>
>>48622795
Yeah people like that would probably try to use dice to play.
>>
>>48622537
The elder god in question was in opposition to a different elder god who was invading our realm. Those of us who had actually been there at the sessions knew this from research/being aided by cultists who had been ordered by their god to aid our cause.
>>
>>48623377
He could still use the party to kill his enemy and then launch his own invasion, Elder Gods are normally not really concerned with mortal needs and want to achieve their own ends. That said I can see where you are coming from and those were probably not the reasons she acted like this and her behaviour before the session describe her quite similar. Why did the group not kick her before? I mean if you go to 2/3 of all games its quite unnerfing but only half of all games makes her character underleveld nearly every session.
>>
>>48617469
>roleplaying
>forty five irl minutes of cross examining/trying to trick an NPC into doing something they don't want to

You're the guy who does this, aren't you.
>>
>>48623532
Interest in not being down a partymember, I guess. Maybe she was friends with the GM or something.
>>
>>48618981
> > > I hate dual wielding as much as the next guy, but Two Weapon Feint, Weapon Finesse, sneak attacks and a high Dex are not needed.

> Two Weapon Fighting Feat REQUIRES 15 dex
> Improved Two Weapon Fighting REQUIRES 17 Dex
> Having a 16 there means you can't have both a high STR or CON at the same time unless you roll stats, which mean no power behind your blow or no staying power.
> Sneak Attack / Weapon Finesse allows for a bit of damage /staying power by allowing a STR of 13 to remain effective and allowing a higher CON.
> Two-Weapon Feint is the only RELIABLE way to get a sneak attack now and then when cornered, which might happen as a DEX-BASED character will have a high Sneak check.

I'll give you that Double Slice might be dropped without much of a loss IF YOU HAVE SNEAK ATTACK. Otherwise, that short sword in your off-hand's going to do 1d6 damage and be COMPLETELY useless against:

> Skeletons
> Zombies
> Wererats
> Animated Objects
> Anything with a decent amount of HP

You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
File: latest[1].png (590KB, 461x672px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
590KB, 461x672px
>>48609275
>DUAL WIELDING is pretty gay

You see pic? That guy kills everything. Gods? Eldritch abominations? Super robots? Dragons? He kills them all dual wielding
>>
>>48618399
> Shadowrun: Dual wielding gives you a penalty (unless you pick some very specific traits that weaken your character) and THEN split your Dice Pool in half.
Unless you're very lucky, burn a lot of Edge AND face incompetent fools, you miss twice instead of hitting once.

With much lower caliber weapons.
>>
>>48624443
He isn't wielding anything though anon, those are his ridiculous shoulder pads.
>>
>>48619131
Meh, I've played superhero games that weren't terrible. Players aren't going to do originality on their own, and that's fine. If you want a serious game as opposed to a more lighthearted one, you have to force them to be original.
>>
>>48622797
>>48622823
>>48622668
>>48612306
>>48612158
>>48612116
"Meanwhile, on bizzaro tg..."
>>
>>48626403
Nothing gets past you, Anon.
>>
>>48624443
That doesn't make him less of a foo foo trala homo man
>>
File: 1466049761224.jpg (60KB, 509x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466049761224.jpg
60KB, 509x720px
>>48616346
>>48617484
>>48618332
>>48621563

>these shitty roll playerz can't make rope haggling fun and engaging for the whole party

Why not just play WoW?
>>
>>48615178
What fucking evidence do you need of "well people probably gave tit for tat"?
>>
>>48609334
>>Except that the merchant's would also most likely not want to lower the prices, and it ruins the price I set, which in return, ruins the balance.
>I have bought anything that wasn't from a supermarket
>>
>>48626967
Because I don't wanna play WoW 48 hrs/week to unlock the best animal companion next year.
>>
>>48609172
>play dnd wth a new group
>first guy rolls a hobbit rouge valled snarblegarlf and procedes to just sit at the back of the party never doing anything
>second guy makes a serious character
>third guy also does
>fourth guy rolls a wizard that wears a fucking tux and is based off an anime character
>>
>>48611202
This is either bait or you're legitimately retarded
>>
ITT: Just don't play evil characters.
>>
>that one guy who plays the same character with the same backstory in every single game
>>
>>48627517
AAAAARGH! And then his character reincarnates into the next one!
>>
File: loli stop being evil_1.jpg (23KB, 218x261px) Image search: [Google]
loli stop being evil_1.jpg
23KB, 218x261px
>>48610336

Congrats, your bro got bit with the "but I wanna be evil" bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrhZPLpgWbg

It's a known problem that tends to That Guyerize otherwise normal players.
>>
>>48627517

i'm kind of that guy

my characters never have the same backstories but they're always dwarf or half-orc martials
>>
>>48610907
>>48611220

I know this is way late into the topic, and you're probably not even in the thread anymore, but I've actually had a very similar situation happen to me awhile back, where a new guy joined the table and was ABSOLUTELY fucking with the party balance, and a little of it on purpose. He would refuse to change his character's actions too because it was how he wanted his character to be.

I actually thought of a really interesting solution that wound up working extremely well.

Try to fire him in-character.

My situation was:
>Lawful-Good Fighter of Bahamut
>Rest of the guys on the team are murderhobos, but that's okay because we're after the Cult of the Dragon who are trying to rez Tiamat, so Deus Vult.
>Player leaves group, we need a new guy
>DM has a friend...
>Friend comes in with a lawful good cleric
>But not just lawful good, lawful stupid
>We find him captive in a Cultists headquarters, alongside another member of the Cult who turned traitor in a move for power
>Release his Cleric to get him into our party
>Start interrogating the cultist; Get all we need from him.
>Ask Cultist if he is repentant at all for his sins
>Cultist spits at me and says he would do it again in a heart beat
>Try to kill him
>Cleric gets in the way
>"Nooooo we must spare ALL life!"
>>
File: 1241314932912.jpg (8KB, 265x297px) Image search: [Google]
1241314932912.jpg
8KB, 265x297px
>>48626967
>Hehe I had my table rolling when I haggled over fifteen gold pieces with a merchant for 10 minutes over a dagger!

>It's a "stuff that never happened" episode
>>
>>48627761
>Starts up an argument with everyone in the group for a solid 20 minutes on alignment
>Warlock says "fuck it", goes invisible, and slits the Cultist's throat
>Cleric revives him
>MORE party infighting
>Party is about to go full PvP; People are taking sides, especially the Ranger because he was low-key trying to kill my character for killing his dick-ass thief two sessions ago
>Cleric directly insults Bahamut to my face. Everyone is looking at me
>"I fold my arms, and I tell the Cleric 'Dwarf, I thank you for all the help you've given us, but it seems that we are at a disagreement in how to handle our business. As soon as we both finish up our business here, you should leave' and I lean back and point at the door"
>Make it not-so-obvious that I was more or less speaking to the player and less to the character
>Room gets real quiet
>Cleric sort of coughs and makes a few jokes that fall flat
>We take a ten minute break
>Cleric suddenly agrees that we should punish him, but at least take him to a settlement to be tried for his crimes.
>Epilogue
>Cult guy tries to escape while Cleric is the only one watching him
>Winds up having to kill him anyways.

If your party has no reason to work with the guy, then there's no reason to continue to metagame to keep him with the group. Tell him in-character that he doesn't pull his weight and that he needs to leave. Send a message to the player that when the metagame isn't allowed that this is the shit that happens, and he needs to change his ways to work WITH the group, not against.
>>
File: Samurai_A.png (188KB, 876x983px) Image search: [Google]
Samurai_A.png
188KB, 876x983px
Is anything wrong with a total dork who dual wields katanas in a "magic hit actual Japan and the world got fucked so suddenly melee weapons are more usable and readily usable due to the sudden onset of dwarves who don't know how guns work" setting?
Especially when said character is actual weaboo who idolized animus to the point he's actually practiced?
>>
>>48627517
I don't have a huge problem with this, so long as it's done well.
>>
File: image.png (513KB, 455x579px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
513KB, 455x579px
>>48609172
>join a campaign with a couple friends and a couple unknowns (friends of my friends)
>one of the unknowns turns out to be a cool dude
>other one is an obnoxious piece of shit
>always late to game
>Creates a poorly-made charaxter and refuses all help, then complains about how his character is bad
>constantly whines in the group chat about whatever game he's playing and how everything is the game's fault
>plays his character seemingly to cause as much disruption as possible
>has put the campaign on hold twice because of his massive tantrums
Worst part was, we we let him stay gone the second time and went on. Things went well. Now we let him back in because the other two players and the GM want to give him another chance, and, surprise. Campaign's on hold again for his shit
>>
>>48615178
"A society with lots of property but no money" never existed?
>>
>>48620138
Double-fist hammer blows seem to be a standard Starfleet maneuver.
>>
>>48612382
Zoro can still speak though. A reader called the author out on it, and he said he was "speaking with his heart"
>>
>>48612671
>3) Obnoxious anime. For some reason or another, you also see dual-wielding in a lot of the cheaper anime; poorly-written angsty/hotheaded protags would dual-wield katana. Same issue as the first two entries but with a slice of weeb on the side.

The reason it's popular in anime is because the most famous Japanese swordsman of all time, Miyamoto Musashi, the author of the Book of Five Rings, pioneered dual-wielding your katana as a one-handed main weapon and your wakizashi (short sword) in your offhand for parrying and short-range stabbing. Usually the katana is used as a two-handed weapon.
>>
>>48628050
It's never done well and that's the problem.
>>
>>48609172
>dnd
>we have a really stupid player who we're trying to mentor to be a better player
>our two most experienced players suddenly jump him
>they steal his money
>the stupid one gets really mad
>the two were all jolly about it
>I ask why they would do that
>"He won't learn unless we teach him"
>realize I'm apparently playing the only lawful good character in the party and the "true good" player was the one who decided it would be a good idea in the first place

>same game, but later
>one of the two experienced players from earlier keeps murdering people for money and power, including my character's new boss
>He keeps saying "I'm chaotic neutral, leaning evil" after what must have been at least the third murder
>>
>some guy asks if he can "roll for rape" every single game regardless of what we're playing
>thinks he's hot, hilarious shit
>everyone is just weirded out and very uncomfortable with it
>we call him out on it
>>No game can be called a good game if I can't roll for rape
>>
>>48629071
>>He keeps saying "I'm chaotic neutral, leaning evil" after what must have been at least the third murder
Random murder isn't a neutral thing.
>>
My first ever game, we had a guy who was playing a paladin who decided to just play his alignment to the letter. We joked that his alignment wasn't lawful good, but lawful buzzkill.

He wouldn't let the two thieves ambush people because it was "dishonorable"

We lost so many fight because we couldn't use sneak attacks to get an edge.

He was even pissing off our cleric.

The group restructured and split so he wasn't with me anymore, but prior to that me and the other thief were planning on assassinating him in his sleep.
>>
>>48609172
its all in how you play nigga. My first Pathfinder group I started out as a rogue dual wielding daggers, ended as a battle chef dual wielding an aluminium and cast iron pans
>>
>>48609172
>>New player joins
ok
>>Plays as rogue
still ok
>>Wears all black
well, if he would add some midnight blue and purple, it'd be fine, but all black is still common to rogues
>>Dual wields
that's his build choice, it may be shit taste, but his choice of build nonetheless

I made a goblin unleashed rogue/assassin in pathfinder once, was an expy of Styx, had a variety of daggers, one that was made of adamantine for that one extra damage, one made of a special bronze made to kill things my rogue wasnt normally supposed to encounter, like aberrations and magical creatures and a swath of regular throwing daggers to use ranged
sneak attack and range assassination

the game didnt last too too long, but my rogue was never found, but that's due to hide in plain sight and stealth out the ass (+23 at level 6 if i decide to take 0 on the dice)
>>
>>48611515
see, this is how i play evil characters:
>is a scumbag
>will not say no to money or favor to kill someone, friends and relatives non-included unless convinced otherwise
>will torture people to get what he wants, isnt shy to break a few noses and fingers or a leg if it means getting answers, pliers are a rogue's best friend
>will take the blame for evil actions done by party
>>
>>48629331
I always feel playing a black knight with some code of honor is the best way to go about it.
>>
>>48629212
You should direct him to dungeon crawl's god The Shining One, he might as well have a god that enforces his rules.
>>
>>48629229
>the game didnt last too too long, but my rogue was never found, but that's due to hide in plain sight and stealth out the ass
>but my rogue was never found

I hope you mean the party never passed the check to notice there was a goblin assassin following them around and helping them in every fight, because that sounds like an amazing character.
>>
>>48620713
Tom?
>>
>>48628044
Aside from the fact that katanas re two-handed weapons? Probably yes, but you're at least playing it in a way that's cheesey not cringey. It could work well with the right game/party.
>>
>>48628044
Other than the fact that that sounds like the MC of every subpar fantasy anime in the past few years? No, not really.
>>
>>48630832
This.
Even throwing back to the classics with two scimitars would be better than two katanas.
>>
>>48630858
>Even throwing back to the classics
>The classics
>dual wielding classics
Oh man. You want to really piss off a party? Roll yourself a Liu Bei. Play that lawful good so hard the words themselves are put to shame.
>>
File: 1363617688009.jpg (17KB, 193x183px) Image search: [Google]
1363617688009.jpg
17KB, 193x183px
>>48612294
Holy fuck the nostalgia!

I remember reading all these comics in middle school and high school
>>
>>48628331
That's the excuse EVERYTHING in One Piece. The justification for the chef character not hurting himself when he sets his foot on fire is HIS HEART BURNS HOTTER!
>>
>>48628354
He also wrote that it's good for training, but crap for actual combat.
>>
>>48627708
>linking to a video made by loony

You must hate fun
>>
>>48630832
That's half the point.
Despite all this he doesn't realize how much of a massive walking cliche he is.
He even names all his attacks (being a 5e battlemaster with Magic Initiate (druid) and a dragonmark, he has plenty of stupid moves he can do.)

>>48630716
Honestly the DM just refluffed longswords, started us off at level six, and sent us on our merry way.
>>
>>48635101
This. He also killed a motherfucker with a boat oar.
>>
>>48630365
>sounds like an amazing character.
If the rest of the party doesn't find you you aren't a character. It's a very poor character trait to not exist with the rest of the story.
>>
>>48636457
It's still a bad character, even if he is intentionally played badly.
>>
>>48618350
>He fights viciously and constantly remember that should the Party Leader shows weakness, he will challenge him

"STARSCREAM !!!"
>>
>>48611692
Welcome to the grand line, anon
>>
>>48636639
The other party members are a plane shifted straight out of ravinica wizard illusionist played by the party powergamer, a bard oorator who is an official, and a Light Cleric/Monk exorcist.
>>
>>48611087
I've seen this happen several times now. What the fuck is with folks? If you won't join the party I'm just gonna kick you. We don't have time to deal with your shit.

It's a major issue I have with CoC, actually, every game of it I've played or run has the players split into subgroups instead of working together. Then everyone fucking dies. I literally saw one group in a game crash their car into the other group and both ran away, refusing to even speak to each other. Nothing that crazy had happened yet, it was just a bad storm and they screwed up driving checks on icy roads. They just fled from each other into a blizzard like maniacs.
>>
>>48609172
>New player joins
Seems fine.
>Plays as rogue
Seems fine.
>Wears all black
Needs to sneak. Seems fine.
>Dual wields
Unrealistic as games tend to depict it anyway, but a fantasy staple. Seems fine.

This is perfectly reasonable and something any sane person would do if a decent number of rooms encountered previously in the kind of place you're in, had traps. Do you want him to just blindly walk in, waving his dick around obliviously?
If you mean haggling, that's the kind of shit that happened in the medieval period and is still common in places today.

Maybe you should quit being such a shit DM.
>>
>>48609328
"Dungeons" to loot came from the first ever RPG, which predated the first RPG video game.
>>
>>48609172
>New player joins
>Plays as rogue
Literally othing wrong with that.
>Wears all black
Makes sense for stealth at night.
>Dual wields
Makes sense in most systems.
That's a rogue's job in most systems.
That's prefectly appropriate in almost every setting.

Are you baiting?
>>
File: Capture+_2016-08-05-09-32-53.png (221KB, 720x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-08-05-09-32-53.png
221KB, 720x1199px
Was I wrong to call him out?
>Dont teach squirrels D&D XD
>>
>party takes long rest.
>Afterwards, about half an hour of real time passes.
>Encounter happens
>Druid or wizards turn
>Dm come back to me, I still haven't decided what spells to prepare.
>>
>>48636948
That DM almost certainly runs a terrible game.

That said, unless you're black, don't throw around "nigga." Even if we ignore the whole discussion of whether it's racist, it makes people cringe and/or laugh at you. Fuck, Eminem grew up in Detroit and all his friends are black, he has the right "accent" for it and shit, he likes to shock people, and even he doesn't say it.
>>
>>48636948
You're both gay, kill yourselves
>>
>>48637111
Gay? I'm as straight as the pole your mom dances on every week.
>>
>>48637428
Nice one nigger XD
>>
>>48619380
Have you actually seen someone who can throw knives? If that shit would hit you, I assure you it would leave something more than a 1-2cm wound. As long as there's no armor involved, then it really is retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiMvIYqIeQY
>>
>>48609172
>hating the rogue for doing rogue stuff
Hating duel wielders is acceptable, but why allow rogues if you don't want them disarming traps
>>
>new player joins
>5e bard
>proceeds to build his character specifically for PvP and challenges us from time to time
>>
>>48609334
Bruh you need to get out of the supermarket and chain good store world.

People barter every day and in the time frame the game it's supposed to represent, EVERYONE bartered.
>>
>>48612116
It gets worse. Every single time I run a Pathfinder game, all anyone wants to play are adventurers. Why don't you just play an NPC class once in a while?
>>
File: image.jpg (697KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
697KB, 1920x1080px
>>48615854
I would play with him. Sounds fun as hell.
>>
>>48636618
Let me clarify for that anon: "that sounds like a hilarious story to tell other people"
>>
>Adding DMPC's that are superior to PC's
Tfw second session of the game and we already have 2 DMPC's, who are the DM's waifus.
Currently on a quest and, on top of those DMPC's, 2 town guards are comming with us (They are serving as guides, so that's ok). However our party size is 9, facing groups of enemies ranging from 6 to 9, which makes combat really slow. Which leads to
>Not knowing what to do in combat until your turn arrives.

>OOC chatter and comments every fucking minute.
>Interrupting another player whenever he is saying something relevant.
>DM being slow at things like:
>"And you see this woman, hold on, let me upload the picture... Okay, this woman."
>"He strikes you for... wait, I need to check his bonuses... just a sec... Okay, he strikes for 7 damage."

>People who don't know how to proprerly use a system despite having months of experience.
>>
ITT: Random anon revealed as That GM
>>
>>48615178
What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
> play campaign where the PCs are friend and his girlfriend
> girlfriend follows whatever friend says
> have pretty much no say in what the party does
>>
>>48618918
>Having race be the only unique/original part of your character
>Being this autistic
>>
File: 1369878158850.gif (2MB, 400x197px) Image search: [Google]
1369878158850.gif
2MB, 400x197px
>>48609172

>That 1st session of every game where nobody has any inter-character chemistry so what invariably happens is the first guy to roll low becomes "the baggage" and the guy who rolled high becomes "cocky mcfuckstain"

I've seen it happen so many times, and I hate it so much I've started imposing house rules to literally invent character chemistry like Dungeon World Bonds or Tenra Banshou Zero reaction rolls and shit.
>>
>>48627708
Oh god, I swear you've posted this same pic and video in a couple threads last month. Please go
>>/out/
Thread posts: 262
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.