[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - Tuesday Bluesday Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 18

File: 57.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
Good morning and welcome back to Ask A Judge!
>>
what's the best way to do standard without bant or gw tokens?
>>
>>48600993
I dunno dude, I don't play much Standard. From what I understand Bant CoCo is a pretty oppressive deck right now, and I don't really know enough about deckbuilding to give you a good answer.
>>
>>48600993

Any deck that can comfortably run 3-4 mainboard languish (WB Control, Grixis, Abzan, GB Seasons Past, Sultai Delerium), or Rw Humans.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Here's a weird one.
>Mirrorwing dragon, goblin pile driver, and a few other goblins on my field.
>Cast pic related to boost dragon
>Thing copies for all my other creatures.
Does it affect piledriver or no? Mirrorwing dragon says the copy targets it but it can't be targeted by blue things. Which effect wins over?
>>
>>48600946

Alright, I've got a weird one for you that I've been trying to wrap my head around.

My boardstate is just a Pandemonium and a Changeling Berserker, who has championed an Aven Riftwatcher.

I flicker the Changeling.

What the hell happens to the poor stack and does my Changeling ever get to see the bird hit the board?
>>
can i check if i have this right
with melek as the commander and no other creatures, proteus staffing himself lets you order your library in whatever order you damn well please? if it works like that, shit's fucked yo

>>48601026
fairo slut

>>48601040
>Mirrorwing x hexproof/protection
the copy is created, but it doesn't have a legal target and thus does nothing.
>>
>>48601040
>That the spell could target
Mirrorwing won't try to make a copy for things it wouldn't hit, whether that's because of Protection or Shroud or just not being a legal target for some other reason (if your opponent Doom Blades it, it'll make copies for all his non-black creatures, but not his black ones).

>>48601052
So, let's say you use Essence Flux for that sweet sweet +1/+1 counter. You'll exile your Berserker, and then immediately bring it back with a +1/+1 counter on it. You'll have three triggers to put on the stack; the Champion LTB trigger, the Pandemonium trigger, and the ETB trigger. Since they're all yours, and all wanting to go on the stack at the same time, you choose the order in which they are placed on the stack.

As long as you have the LTB trigger resolve before the ETB trigger, it'll bring back Aven Riftwatcher (who will dome something for 2 via Pandemonium, and also gain you 2 life), which you can then Champion away with the ETB trigger.

Net result if you do it right: 8 damage (7 if you use Cloudshift instead of Essence Flux) and +2 life.

>>48601067
Correct. You elect to ship it to the deck instead of the Command Zone, then reveal cards until you hit Melek since he's the only creature, and put him on the board. Then you put 'the rest' (your entire deck) on the bottom of your library in any order, which effectively means you can stack your deck however you want.
>>
>>48601109

That was way simpler than I was thinking it was. For some reason I forgot to put the ETB Champion or die trigger on the stack. Yeah, easy as pie. Thanks!
>>
>>48601126
Yeah, the Champion doesn't get popped until that trigger resolves and you don't feed it a bird. Thankfully if you stack the triggers right, you HAVE a bird to feed it by then.
>>
>>48601052
>What the hell happens to the poor stack

603.3b If multiple abilities have triggered since the last time a player received priority, each player, in APNAP order, puts triggered abilities he or she controls on the stack in any order he or she chooses. (See rule 101.4.) Then the game once again checks for and resolves state-based actions until none are performed, then abilities that triggered during this process go on the stack. This process repeats until no new state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the appropriate player gets priority.

You put on stack, in order you choose, Pandemonium's damage, old-berserker's departure effect returning bird, new-berserker's entry effect. (Remember that Flicker makes the thing it targets a new object. The new Changeling Berserker is represented by the same card, but has no memory of what the old one championed.)
>>
>>48600993
you know hallowed moonlight has been in standard for a while now right?
>>
>>48600946
If I flicker my spell queller who currently has a thoughtknot seer in exile will I still have a chance to exile the thoughtknot seer again if my opponent chooses to cast him for free?
>>
>>48603245
No.
>>
>>48603197
Even with that Bant is still kicking ass and taking names. It hurts that Moonlight just blanks a CoCo for a turn, it doesn't actually exile anything unless they're dumb.

>>48603245
Nope. Your Queller will get exiled and then come immediately back, just as in the above Berserker scenario. You'll have an "ETB Exile target thing" trigger, and a "LTB opponent casts the thing" trigger. The ETB trigger needs a target as soon as it goes on the stack, and their Thought Knot is still in exile at that time. So unless there's another spell you want to feed to your Queller already on the stack, you dun goofed.
>>
Asking this before I forget it, again.

If I have Harness the Storm in play and cast something like Galvanic Bombardment or Take Inventory, with others in the graveyard of course, how does the interaction work? Does the "card with the same name" I target reside in the graveyard while being cast?
>>
>>48603409
Oh dear I have indeed dun goofed. Glad I got my answer before game day though. Thanks man.
>>
>>48603512
So, you cast your Bombardment and that triggers Harness the Storm. The Harness trigger goes on the stack, targeting the Bombardment in your graveyard. As the trigger resolves, you may cast that Bombardment. Assuming it was the only one in your graveyard, it'll pop something for 2 damage, then go to the graveyard as normal.

Then, the original Bombardment you cast will resolve, and see that there is a Bombardment in the graveyard, doing 3 total damage.

>Does the "card with the same name" I target reside in the graveyard while being cast?
As much as the first one 'resides' in your hand while being cast: not at all. Spells on the stack are just that: on the stack. They're in the game zone of The Stack. That said, your original Bombardment doesn't "check" to see how many Bombardments are in your graveyard until it begins to resolve.
>>
>>48603548
Ok thanks. I didn't think the Stack was a valid zone for cards to exist, just their effects until they resolve. Then the card would go from "where it was being cast," i.e. hand, yard, etc. to where it ends up, i.e. yard, exile. If that confusion makes any sense.
>>
I've always wondered, do you look up the cards after reading a question, or can you just recall or remember what a card does by reading it's name?

I mean, I know a Ton of cards off hand, but some I'm like, "Holy crap, that's a card?"

Do you ever have moments like that? Where you see a card name and go, "That can't possibly be a real card."?
>>
>>48603700
You mean apart from Sylvan Library? Because that's certainly not a real card.
>>
>>48603690
Nah, it makes sense. For most people, the card goes from their hand straight to the graveyard for spells, so they don't think of "The Stack" as being a zone. Totally understandable.

>>48603700
90% of it is just memory because instead of doing something useful with my free time I force myself to become a walking copy of Gatherer and the Comp Rules.

The other 10% is Autocard Anywhere.
>>
I have tangle wire on graveyard and on battlefield.
On my upkeep tangle wire remove fade and tap permanents goes on stack and in response I use goblin welder and target tangle wire in GY and on battlefield and it resolves.
Do the old triggers in the stack "see" the new tangle wire or ignore it?
>>
>>48605110
The triggers on the stack are from an object that doesn't exist. They don't just look for "a card named Tangle Wire", or having one on 4 counters and one on 1 counter would tap down 8 things.

The Fading trigger resolves and does nothing, because the Wire it's looking for doesn't exist.

The tap trigger will look for the Wire that it triggered from, and can't find it, so it looks back in time at how the Wire last existed on the field, and taps THAT many things.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 223x311px
Rite of replication kicked targeting this card. The 5 copies come in, but do they trigger each other for that massive amount of +1/+1 counters?
>>
>>48605250
Did you also put Overwhelming Stampede in that combo? Otherwise you're wasting an amazing opportunity.
>>
>>48605181
So in simpler sense the number of permanents that are tapped by Twire is determined on how many counters Twire has on the moment it triggers?

inb4 some very specific mtg rulings reason why this way of thinking is very very wrong.
>>
>>48605250
Each Giant will 'see" the other 4 coming in with it, and trigger appropriately. The triggers don't check that creature's power until the trigger resolves, though. So let's say you put all the triggers caused by A on the stack last, so they resolve first. Then all the triggers caused by B, then C, etc.

A's triggers resolve, putting 6 counters on Hamlet B, C, D, and E (also Original).

B triggers resolve, putting 12 counters on A, C, D, E, and Original.

C's triggers resolve, putting 24 counters on A, B, D, and original.

D's triggers resolve, putting 48 counters on A, C, E, and Original.

E's triggers resolve, putting 96 counters on A, B, C, and Original.

If I did my math right, mind you. You could also have A get 24 counters (6 each from B, C, D, and E), then have B get 48 (6 each from C, D, E, and 30 from A), and so on.

>>48605551
It's determined by how many counters are on Wire as the trigger RESOLVES. If you were to use a Vampire Hexmage on the Wire in response to the trigger, the trigger would tap 0 things because that's the number of counters on the Wire.

The reason that popping the Wire is different is because the Wire doesn't exist, so the game can't ask how many counters it has, so it looks back at the Last Known Information to determine it. That's also why saccing a Mogg Fanatic while you control a Whip of Erebos will gain you 1 life; the Fanatic had Lifelink the last time it existed on the battlefield.

Now I have to go run a few errands, back later.!
>>
>>48605250
Yes. See the rules on zone-change triggers.

> 603.6a Enters-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent enters the battlefield. These are written, “When [this object] enters the battlefield, . . . ” or “Whenever a [type] enters the battlefield, . . .” Each time an event puts one or more permanents onto the battlefield, all permanents on the battlefield (including the newcomers) are checked for any enters-the-battlefield triggers that match the event.

> 603.6d Normally, objects that exist immediately after an event are checked to see if the event matched any trigger conditions.
(The exceptions being mostly leaves-the-zone triggers which look back at last known state of object.)
>>
>>48605250
When multiple things enter the battlefield at the same time, they all see each other enter so they all trigger each other.

You have one Goliath in play and five more enter play. Goliath A will see the five token entering and trigger five times. Golath's B, C, D, E, and F (the tokens) will see the other four tokens entering and each trigger four times. Meaning 25 total triggers.

The number of counters given is checked as each ability resolves so if you stack them right you can end up with six Goliaths each with power/toughness in the hundreds.
>>
File: BloodbraidElf.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
BloodbraidElf.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
Grafdigger's Cage blocks Narcomoebas coming in because they literally say "put it from graveyard into play", but what about cascades? Let's say I Bloodbraid Elf into a Bob -> I think I'm technically casting Bob from LIBRARY at this point so it should get eaten by cage saying "players can't cast cards in libraries", is this correct?
>>
>>48606793

Actually, cascade exiles. I'm dumb and realized this right after pressing post.
>>
File: relevant odric.png (108KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
relevant odric.png
108KB, 223x311px
Speculative question.

Mostly, old mechanics like "does not tap to attack" turn into a keyword like Vigilance, but in some cases, it goes the other way, and old cards like Dandân have had their keyword (Islandhome) get "unpersoned". Their functionality remains intact, it's just spelled out at length.

How would this affect things like Odric, Lunarch Marshal and Cairn Wanderer and Death-Mask Duplicant et cetera if any of their keywords get unpersoned? Are Odric and friends a quasi-guarantee against getting unpersoned because these things must stay keywords? Or might we one day see an Odric entry in Gatherer with several sentences of "As long as a creature you control can do Thing That Was Once A Keyword, each other creature can do that too." ?
>>
>>48606953
No Odric does not get buffs from such abilities.
>>
>>48607196
You seem to be answering a question that wasn't asked. Let me try pinning down more specifically what I am asking:

"If Wizards of the Coat were to decide that menace won't be a keyword anymore, what would likely happen to the Gatherer wording of Odric"?
>>
>>48600946
why is the card in italian? Sei il cojone del quinto elemento?
>>
>>48607291
I will consult the CR when that time comes.
>>
>>48607291
I don't think Magic unkeywords things anymore. They just retire using the keyword.

If they decided they didn't want something to be a keyword anymore, they'd probably spell it out from then on but leave old cards that have that keyword alone.
>>
I've got a goofy one that involves clones, oh boy.

So I have a phantsmal image copying a murderous red cap
I target it with curiosity, so it sacrifices itself
Persist trigger
It comes back as a copy of eternal witness with a -1/-1 counter thus killing it and this is my question: does the phantasmal image that is now a copy of eternal witness die before the trigger has to target allowing me to target the phantasmal image or do I have to choose the card first before state based effects.
>>
>>48607636
Yes it can target itself in the yard.
>>
>>48607710
Dope
>>
>>48606793
Cascade exiles, then casts from there. Doesn't get hit by Cage for the same reason Cage doesn't actually stop Living End or Living Death.

>>48606953
Couldn't tell you, I'm not a designer. Most of the old things got un-keyworded because it was shit they didn't plan on supporting anymore and was overly narrow, so it wasn't worth having a CR entry for it. I don't really see them doing that to mechanics that are currently considered evergreen. Of Odric's things, Skulk would be the most 'in danger', and even then I doubt it.

>>48607295
Brand awareness.

>>48607291
Dunno. I'd check Gatherer in that alternate timeline to find out what Odric says, rather than speculate about it now- not much point worrying and fretting over theoretical changes.

>>48607636
The trigger fires, but it can't go on the stack until SBAs are checked. They get checked, see a 1/0 creature, and kill it. NOW the trigger can go on the stack, and NOW that it needs a target, the Image itself is in the graveyard and is a legal target.
>>
File: Image (4).jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (4).jpg
35KB, 223x310px
if i cast 2x instant sorcery in a turn
does it get 6/0 till the end of the turn?
>>
>>48611621
...yes, it gets+6/+0 until end of turn, making it a 7/2
>>
Who controls and owns the activated ability of Lethal Vapors when it's on the stack?
>>
>>48611621
Yep! It triggers off of every instant or sorcery you cast in a turn. If it was meant to only trigger once, it'd say so.

>>48612152
Abilities don't have owners, but the controller of an activated ability is the player who activated it.
>>
>>48612080
dont be a nigger
>>
>>48600946
If I have a card of rarity greater than uncommon printed after m15, and the holofoil sticker fell off, is the card still tournament legal?
>>
File: ask a judge question.jpg (48KB, 433x77px) Image search: [Google]
ask a judge question.jpg
48KB, 433x77px
This may not be Judge worthy... But I have been wondering since I began playing Magic The Gathering. On the Deckmaster logo there is a slight watermark that appears to be from a ball point pen, Pic Related. What I am asking is, is this some sneaky signature or intentional marking placed on the cards by either of the two artists who designed the card back, or is it simply a mistake that was not thought of or seen before scanning and printing the first card?
>>
>>48614192
>fell off
What?
>>
>>48614322
The pen marks over TER were an accident, yes.
>>
If I have Leonin arbiter and I cast surgical extraction and I don't pay 2, what happens?
>>
>>48605250
Also, how does this work flavourwise? Oroborus-type ring of giants living on top of each other?
>>
>>48614615
It happens. A friend of mine has the green commander deck with pretty much no holofoils.
>>
>>48614889
This is a game where strapping three swords and a throwing knife to a parrot makes it able to beat up a god. Don't sweat the flavor too hard in large interactions.
>>
>>48614956
SLEEVES
L
E
E
V
E
S
>>
>>48615131
They came off pretty much as soon as they came out of the box
>>
>>48614192
That'd be something the HJ would have to decide at the event, because something like that might lead someone to think the cards were bad fakes.

>>48614322
It was an accident on the master version that wasn't caught until it was too late to fix it.

>>48614841
You'll search the owner of the target's hand and graveyard for copies to exile, but you can't search the library so you don't.
>>
>>48618351
>It was an accident on the master version that wasn't caught until it was too late to fix it.
Didn't Maro/someone else at WotC just recently say it was intentional and that the accident thing was a myth?
>>
>>48618517
No clue. The way I've always heard it is that it was a mistake.
>>
File: Image.png (103KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
103KB, 223x311px
So essence flux

Can you dodge removal with this? Lets just say grizzlybear vs lightning bolt
>>
>>48618639
Yes you can for targeted removal.
>>
>>48618351
>It was an accident on the master version that wasn't caught until it was too late to fix it.
According to the artist that designed it, it was not in fact an accident. That's a urban legend.
>>
>>48618639
Targeted, yes. As soon as your Grizzly Bears leaves the battlefield via Flux, it becomes a new object. You're using the same card to represent it, but it's 3 different objects to the game (GB on board A, GB in exile, GB on board B). The Lightning Bolt is looking for the object it targeted, and that object no longer exists, so it fizzles.

No luck against boardwipes though.
>>
So if my opponent fetches a shock land can I respond to them paying 2 to untap it by vialing in NuThalia and keep it tapped?
>>
>>48621244
You have to respond to the *fetch*, not to the pay 2. By the time they're paying 2, the land has already entered the battlefield and it's too late for Thalia to modify how it enters the battlefield. Of course then your opponent will probably just choose to not pay 2 since Thalia is making the land tapped anyway.
>>
>>48621244
Not gA so don't take my word as truth, but the shocklands don't have a trigger to untap. It simply enters either tapped (paying zero life), or untapped (paying two life) when it enters the battlefield. You can respond to the fetch by putting in Thalia, which means the shockland will always come in tapped, even if they choose to pay 2 life.

But once the fetchland trigger resolves and they start searching their library, you can't respond to the shockland entering.
>>
File: grip of chaos.jpg (72KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
grip of chaos.jpg
72KB, 480x680px
So I got a question about this thing.

If I had Pic Related and Mirrorwing Dragon out, and I cast a spell that targets a creature and the creature happened to be Mirrorwing Dragon, what will happen with the copies? Would casting a lightning bolt or a boomerang have different targets than casting a cantrip such as Expedite?
>>
does a creature die when it enters the graveyard, or does the game check for toughness first?
>>
>>48621551
a creature "dies" when it goes directly from the field to the graveyard. No in between.
>>
>>48621551
don't understand the question.
>>
>>48621606
one more question: if i have It That Betrays and Anafenza on the battlefield, would a sacrificed creature go into exile?
>>
>>48621707
exiled
>>
>>48621244
You can't respond to a replacement effect, no. Your last chance to Vial in Thalia is immediately before the activation of the fetch resolves, and they can just decide not to pay the 2 because it'll come in tapped anyway.

>>48621434
Mirrorwing and Grip will both trigger. when the spell is cast. If you control both, you can either have Grip randomly pick a new target and then clone the spell, or clone the spell first.

Once the Mirrorwing trigger resolves, it aims a copy of your spell at every other creature you control, that it could legally target. Grip will trigger for each of those copies. All of the Grip triggers will resolve, randomly selecting a new target for each copy (which means you could end up with one creature being targeted by multiple copies). After all those Grip triggers resolve, the copies of the spells can begin resolving. Then, if the original Grip trigger is still there (if you resolved Mirrorwing's first), it'll reselect the target for the original spell. Then the original spell will resolve.

>>48621551
I'm not sure I understand your question.

"Dies" is just a templating shorthand for "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield". A creature can 'die' from the Legend Rule, from a Doom Blade, from lethal damage, from having 0 toughness, from being sacrificed.

If the game needs to know the toughness of a creature that has died, it'll look at the creature as it last existed on the battlefield.

>>48621707
It would, for a brief moment. They'd sacrifice the nontoken permanent, and Anafenza's replacement effect shunts that creature to exile instead of to the graveyard. Then, It That Betrays' trigger looks for the card in the first public zone it went to after leaving the battlefield. NORMALLY that's the graveyard, but here that's Exile, so ITB will yank it out of exile to your board.

This is also why ITB can steal a sacced Commander if they put it into the Command Zone instead of the graveyard.
>>
>>48621783
>the It thing
wow, i never knew that.
>>
A question that I had for a few day, if I cast a Spell that as additional cost require the sacrifice of a creature, can I tap that creature before resolution but after that I have chose it?

Sorry for the bad English.
>>
>>48621822
Yeah, it's not SUPER intuitive, but once you grok the "why" it makes sense.

>>48621829
As in, can you cast your spell, say "I'm gonna sac this one", then tap it? Not quite. Let's use a simple sac spell like Altar's Reap, and go through the steps of casting a spell.

1) Announce Altar's Reap, move it from your hand to the stack.
2) There's no alternate costs here, but there is an additional one, so you announce that you'll be paying the additional cost.
3) No targets to choose for this step
4) Nothing to divide for this step
5) Game does a quick check to see if the proposed spell is legal, and it is
6) Total cost is locked in at "1B, sac a guy"
7) You get a chance to activate mana abilities (most people just float mana before the spell, but this step is here for a reason)
8) Pay all costs in any order
9) Your spell is cast.

You don't actually pick what to sacrifice until Step 8 of the spellcasting process, but you don't have priority to do anything other than "Continue casting this spell via these steps in this order" during the actual cast. You could tap a creature for an effect, then cast Altar's Reap and feed the creature to it ,though.
>>
I attempt to cast for example Natural Order, paying the sacrifice cost first, then tapping Selvala for mana as my only mana source. What if she doesn't turn up enough mana? Do I just do a quick rewind and put the dead thing back?
>>
>>48621926
Thanks for the answer, is similar to wwhat I thought, I wanted to be sure.

By the way the cards for this clarification were Humble defector and Eldritch evolution
>>
>>48621993
You generate mana before you pay costs. If you absolutely need Selvala to generate enough mana (for example, she HAS to generate 2 mana because you only have two untapped Forests as other sources), then you can't finish casting the spell and the game rewinds to before you put it on the stack, with the exception that we don't undo Selvala's mana ability.

If you're going to use Selvala to cast a spell, and you need her to generate enough mana, tap her first. It saves everyone a headache.

>>48622043
That one doesn't work so well. If you tap the Defector, then the ability has to resolve before you can cast your Evolution because Sorcery, and by then you don't have a Defector to sacrifice.

If you cast Evolution first, the Defector is dead by the time you have priority to activate it.

If you could cast Evolution as though it had flash, though (Vedalken Orrery, for example), you could tap your Defector, then sac it to Evolution and still get your draws.
>>
>>48622081
But what if I want to use her for shenanigans?
>>
>>48622081
I Know, that is why I needed the clarification, if I must give flash to Eldritch evolution, all became to complicated to be useful :(

Thanks again For the answers ;)
>>
>>48622280
Then I fill frown disapprovingly in your direction.
>>
>>48600946
What's your top ten cards?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXuO1eB2kJw
>>
>>48623029
I'd have to think about it, to be honest.
>>
>>48619322

Cool.

Does ghost apply similarly to blocking? Imy not actually aware how blocking works but I understand you can sacrifice, tap, etc. The monster after declaring blockers and still block the attack (for the most part)
>>
>>48623716
I'm not sure what you mean by "ghost".
>>
>>48623716

By ghost I mean this. I'm a phone poster lol
>>
>>48623716
>>48623744
Ah. Then yes. If you block with something and then it leaves the board for whatever reason (blinked, sacced, hit by a Doom Blade, whatever), whatever it blocked is still blocked. You won't take damage, unless you were blocking a thing with Trample, in which case you take very much damage.
>>
ifI am playing EDH and player A dealt 20 commander damage to player B, if I take control of player A's commander and I deal commander damage to player b, does player b lose?
>>
>>48623828
Yep! Commander Damage is "per commander", and doesn't matter who controls it. If I do 7 damage with my Commander, and B does 7 damage with my Commander, and C does 7 damage with my Commander, all to D, D loses because he's taken 21 combat damage from one Commander.
>>
File: coaxfromtheblindeternities[1].jpg (39KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
coaxfromtheblindeternities[1].jpg
39KB, 265x370px
Let's say I'm playing an FNM draft and I manage to draft pic related. Can I coax an eldrazi card that i brought from my collection, specifically a card that I own but did not draft in this particular tournament?
>>
>>48624129
Nope! In the context of a sanctioned tournament, "Outside the game" means your sideboard (and in the context of a Limited game like Sealed or Draft, your sideboard is everything from your pool that is not in your deck right now).
>>
>>48623856
thanks!
>>
File: Bramblewood Paragon.jpg (150KB, 298x431px) Image search: [Google]
Bramblewood Paragon.jpg
150KB, 298x431px
This is probably a simple question and I think I know the answer, but say I have a Bramblewood Paragon on the field and a facedown Den Protector. If I megamorph the Den Protector, I don't get two +1/+1 counters, right?
>>
>>48624522
Right. Turning things face-up doesn't count as them entering the battlefield- they're already on the battlefield.
>>
>>48624550
As I thought. Thank you kindly.
>>
>>48624621
Null sheen.
>>
If a player plays Planar Cleansing while someone haz Eldrazi Monument out. Does Eldrazi Monument protect its controller's creatures or are they all destroyed alongside the Monument?
>>
>>48624971
It protects them. Cleansing hits everything all at once, and at that time the creatures had Indestructible. It doesn't keep hitting over and over until nothing gets destroyed.

Now, compare that to Austere Command, which has two separate destroy effects. With that, the "Destroy all artifacts" would hit the Monument first, leaving the creatures very susceptible to the "creatures" mode chosen as the second one.

I now have to run into town for a time, so back later!
>>
File: slbgq39ikedx.png (438KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
slbgq39ikedx.png
438KB, 1024x768px
Posting this here because it's the most relevant thread
>>
File: Hazezon.jpg (597KB, 1000x1381px) Image search: [Google]
Hazezon.jpg
597KB, 1000x1381px
Ok so a few days ago during a EDH game this interaction happened. It worked out in my favor, but I want to see if we messed up.

I was playing Hazezon. I had no way to sacrafice him so I had in in play when the tokens came out. The turn before mine was my friend had his Ulrich of the Krallenhorde out and decided to play no spells so it would transform on my upkeep and fight Hazezon.

So originally he says my tokens die. Then another player says if I have another upkeep trigger (which I did in the form of karmic guide's echo) it could go first on the stack and he would have to respond to it before hazezons ability triggered. Then we're all confused because everyone has a different theory and somehow we came to the conclusion that the fight, death, and the tokens coming in happen at the same time but since I had priorty the tokens didnt die somehow. I dunno, thinking back I can't explain the reasoning. Anyways what should happen?

Sorry this was so rambling.
>>
File: Image (5).jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (5).jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>snapcaster mage a serum visions
>they remand my serum visions
>"if the spell was counted this way return it to its users hand"

it goes back to my hand yes? thats what the card says
>>
What are the rules for determining pairings for an 8-man draft after the drafting process?
>>
>>48625057
Technically an Avacyn flip never destroys anything.

Because Avacyn doesn't flip, and damage doesn't destroy things- SBAs do.

>>48625580
So to make sure I grok: you played Hazezon, and the next turn we have a Karmic Guide Echo trigger, a "make some sands" Hazezon trigger, and an Ulrich transform trigger firing in the same upkeep?

So, your Echo and Sand triggers go on the stack in the order of your choosing, because APNAP order. Then, the Ulrich trigger goes on the stack above those. Ulrich transforms, and AlphaUlrich pops your Hazezon for 6 to the face, killing him. Hazezon LTB trigger resolves, exiling nothing. Hazezon's delayed trigger puts out a bunch of Sand Warriors, then Karmic Guide's echo resolves.

Basically, because of APNAP order, his Ulrich trigger happens before your Hazezon trigger. Triggers cannot "happen at the same time", and your Karmic Guide had zero bearing on this. It seems like you guys aren't exactly sure how the stack and priority work.

>>48625744
It sure tries to back to your hand.

And then Flashback's replacement effect of "exile this card instead of putting it anywhere else any time it would leave the stack" sees it going somewhere that is not exile, and exiles it instead.

>>48626253
Random. For a sanctioned event we just punch it into WER and it tells us who plays who.
>>
>>48626393
Hazezon guy here. I feel that we have a pretty good understanding of the stack and priorty, but we also smoke a ton of weed when we play so we're certainly not in the right mind to figure this stuff out a lot of the time. I also am certain the guy before me said upkeep triggers happen at the same time, and in my mind at the time I was trying to figure it out that way and totally forgot about the stack. If I had just realized, as you pointed out, that his fight happens first because of first in last out then I would have had no problem telling them that. I really do believe in this situation because the guy before me wanted so badly to be right about stopping my tokens that his "logic" poisoned my thinking and caused me to mess up. Thankfully we didnt misplay it, but it was pretty tense for a minute there. Thanks for the help btw.
>>
File: CYMERA_20160804_200408.jpg (703KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
CYMERA_20160804_200408.jpg
703KB, 1280x1280px
Hello, is this a good combination? Also, when do I activate servant of tymaret's regeneration? Before it is attacked or after?
>>
>>48600946
>>48600946

Hi, I was wondering what exactly happens when I cast a spell targeting Zada, Hedron Grinder when both Possibility Storm and Grip of Chaos are out.

Thanks!
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-04-20-09-46.png (700KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-04-20-09-46.png
700KB, 720x1280px
When this creature is defending it deals damage to the creature attacking?
If I pay the cost and defend, will it deal damage to the creature attacking?
>>
>>48627992
Not sure what you mean by 'good combination'. The end result is that you get a 3/5 that maybe has deathtouch, can be regenerated, and drains life whenever it's untapped. That's not BAD, but none of that really synergizes.

You don't attack creatures. You attack players or planeswalkers, and then your opponent can BLOCK with their creatures. You want to put up the regeneration shield immediately before whatever destruction event you're worried about, so as long as you put up the regen before combat damage, or before the burn spell or removal spell resolve, you're fine.

>>48628038
Zada triggers, and so do Possibility Storm and Grip of Chaos. Assuming they're all yours, you can organize those triggers however you like. I'm going to break down each option, with the first listed letter being the first trigger to resolve, etc. So Grip, then Zada, then Storm, would be GZS.

>GZS
Grip randomly picks a new target. Zada makes copies for all of the other things the spell could target, and Grip triggers for each. All those Grip triggers resolve, each one picking a new random target, then those spells resolve. Storm exiles the spell you cast, wheels until you hit another of the same type, and casts it at whatever. Assuming you throw it at Zada, repeat the above section; either Zada makes copies and Grip shuffles them around, or Grip shuffles the Zada-aimed one first, then Zada makes copies.

>GSZ
Grip chooses a new target at random. Storm exiles the spell, finds a new one, and casts it. Assuming you aim it at Zada, she triggers, and either you select a new target for it at random and THEN make a bunch of copies which get random targets afterwards, or do the copies, then pick a new target for the original Storm spell. Original Storm resolves. Zada's original trigger resolves, making copies of the original hand-spell, which get shuffled around at random.
>>
>>48628063
"Defender" simply means "this creature can't attack". Aside from that, the creature is a normal 3/3. It still deals damage, recieves damage, and counts as a creature for every other purpose.

You can pay 1U during your Declare Attackers step, or any time beforehand, to remove the "can't attack" restriction from that card until end of turn.
>>
>>48628063
"Attack" doesn't mean "deals damage".
A creature with defender can't be declared as an attacker during your turn. Creatures with defender will deal damage to the creatures they block according to their power, just like any other creature.
>>
>>48628038
>>48628286
Name fell off, sorry.

>ZGS
Zada makes copies, which get shuffled around. They resolve. Grip picks a new random target for the original. Storm exiles the original, wheels to another, casts it at Zada. Zada triggers, same as before- either pick the new target, then get copies and pick new targets for those, or get the copies, pick new targets for those, then pick a new target for the wheeled spell. They resolve in whichever order you picked.

>ZSG
Zada copies for your dudes, copies get random targets. Copies resolve. Storm eats the original spell, gives you a new one. Same as above, either Zada-random then copies-random, or copies-random then Zada-random. Those resolve in whichever order. Then Grip changes the targets for the original spell which no longer exists.

>SGZ
Storm eats the spell, wheels for a new one, either Zada makes copies or Grip changes target for wheeled spell, then the other. Those resolve. Grip tries to change the target of the original, fails because it does not exist. Zada creates copies for the original, they get randomized after. They resolve.

>SZG
Storm eats the spell, wheels, either Zada first or Grip first, they resolve. Zada makes copies of the original, they get re-targeted, those resolve. Grip does nothing.

I think that covers all of the possible choices.

>>48628063
A blocking creature does damage back to the blocked creature, yes. Your Phalanx would do 3 to the thing it's blocking.

The activation is just so you can attack with it. It has no interaction with blocking.

I do not mean this to be offensive in any way, but it seems like you're a bit unfamiliar with the basics of the game. I recommend you give the Basic Rules a quick skim.
>>
My commander is a zombie and I have a rooftop storm. I've already cast him once. How much do I pay to cast him again (using rooftop storm)
>>
>>48628506
2. Rooftop Storm only gets you out of paying the base cost of the spell, it doesn't cover additional costs like Kicker or the Commander Tax.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.