[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classes with fluff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

This is a thread for you to reminisce about all those classes and prestige classes you saw in splatbooks. The ones that you loved the idea of, but never used because they where maybe a little too specific or dysfunctional to actually consider playing.

I'll start us off with a personal favorite:
>Candle Caster
>Introduced in "Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers"
>full caster levels every step of the way
>based entirely around the gimmick of "what if we made scribe scroll in an alternate medium?"
>metamagic-casted candles, dual-spellwick candles, candles that can be activated by other users

TL;DR tell me about your favorite irrelevant D&D classes
>>
>see intro to thread
>think oh hey, I'll mention the Candle Caster
>open thread

I fucking love you man.
>>
This thread is already cozy. Lets hang out in here and weather the storm.

I always liked Swift Blade:
https://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/swiftblade/

A mage focused on haste. Start hasting yourself, slowing your enemies. Got to play one for a few weeks one time. He was 32 but looked 45 from spending so much time in haste.

Good times...
>>
File: 1465185251487.jpg (75KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1465185251487.jpg
75KB, 640x360px
Op not even gonna bump his own shit thread.
>>
>>48593946
sorry, stepped away for a bit. honestly expected the thread would keep itself afloat for a bit.

>>48593811
that's not only a neat class I've only heard in passing, but your personal use of it and flavor touches sound neat.
>>
I like that class that eats meteorites and slowly transforms into a living statue
>>
>>48592806
I've always loved the idea of a Mystic Theurge, but they always either suck horribly, or require game-breaking rules lawyering that makes them OP.

But come on, if there are two kinds of magic in your setting, SOMEBODY is going to think about trying to learn both.
>>
>>48595316
I'm gonna need a name on this, anybody know what this anon is talking about?
>>
>>48595453
Oh fuck, I can't remember the name, but it's from Complete Arcane. Something to do with some sort of star metal.
>>
>>48595635
that was a good tip. this thing sounds sweet, even if mechanically all over the place.

http://alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/green-star-adept/index.html
>>
>>48595453
Living Monolith
>>
File: greenstaradept.png (380KB, 349x655px) Image search: [Google]
greenstaradept.png
380KB, 349x655px
>>48595635
Found it, Green Star Adept
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041105a&page=1
>>
>>48595968
ah damn >>48595819 beat me to it, my bad
>>
Gotta mention Binders.
Love the class, always have. They just ooze with flavor and are pretty interesting mechanically. Gotta love classes where your penalties for failing at bargains are roleplaying challenges. That's just damn good design.
Not to mention you get a wonderful cast of characters as cohorts and vestiges that help you interact with the lore of your setting in unique ways.
>>
Truenamers.

Completely fucked, mechanically speaking. But their fluff is godlike, and their capstone is the most flavorful in the entire game. Hell, the entire franchise!
>>
I remember seeing an example prestige class posted on the WotC website, years ago, about a magic user who dedicates themselves entirely to a single spell. The spell in this case was Haste, and it was all about buffing Haste by putting it in higher level spellslots, eventually being able to use Haste as Time Stop.

From what I recall people told me it was garbage and almost unusable, but I still thought it was cool in concept, the idea of a magic user dedicating themselves so completely to a single specific form of magic they make it do amazing things.
>>
>>48596277
>doesn't read the OP
>posts anyway
At least you got good taste.
>>
>>48596336

Excuse me?
>>
>>48596277
>The spell in this case was Haste, and it was all about buffing Haste by putting it in higher level spellslots, eventually being able to use Haste as Time Stop.

Was this the card you're looking for? >>48593811
>>
>>48592806
The Incarnum classes are all just so cool and different in terms of their magic style.
>>
>>48596355
>>48596445

Ohh, just read the thread, and now I get your meaning. With this sort of thread I tend to post my own contribution before reading it through, especially if I'm otherwise distracted as sometimes I take so long to post the thread is dead/has moved on by the time I do. But I'm a derp for not checking the post count and seeing how short this one currently was.

I'll throw in.a couple of trash classes I did play, the Drunken Master and Stonelord, both IIRC from Complete Warrior.

Drunken Master actually panned out well, mostly due to my GM.being awesome and homebrewing an improvised weapons table along with giving me big bonuses for stuff like trying to trip/grapple with a ladder.

The Stonelord was a shame though. The fluff is cool,a Dwarf who achieves an unatural mastery of stone and gets loads of cool geomantic abilities... Which turned out to be overly restrictive, limited use and garbage compared to spells. I eventually rerolled as a Warblade with the ToB Stone Dragon based PRC, but I kept a lot of the flavour of Stonelord.
>>
>>48596355
>>48596510
Haste Caster was the first one mentioned.

No worries though. We all fuck up.
>>
>>48596510
No worries friend, we appreciate the contribution either way! Both those classes sound right up the alley of what this thread is about.
>>
File: 1347851656127.jpg (234KB, 900x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1347851656127.jpg
234KB, 900x1066px
I always liked the Malkonvoker. It's basically a summoner that specializes in summoning evil creatures like demons and devils, but tricking them into doing good. They had stuff like bluffing fiends into staying summoned longer or summoning additional creatures at the same time, but there was always the chance of it backfiring because you're literally trying to trick demons.

I've always liked summons, and the concept is pretty neat.
>>
>>48593811
But that was a good prc, very solid for a gish.
It was bad if the group was all full casters all the time, like most everything in the edition.
>>
Speaking of Complete Arcane, I was always stricken by the Master Transmogrifist
http://alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/master-transmogrifist/index.html

Something about blending polymorphed forms together to create your own hybridized forms seemed really cool and VERY much something a crazy wizard would do in the pursuit of arcane knowledge. Those Owlbears didn't create themselves you know.
>>
Osteomancer from Dragon magazine was one of 3 prestige classes introduced at the same time that actually stuck in my mind for a long time as being "interesting" despite extremely specific. They need magic to qualify, but they're close-combat fist-based attackers.

Also, their first level ability allows them to liquify their bone structure to become a fleshy bag on the ground and prone but can apparently be used to crawl through tight spaces
>>
Here's one that's completely retarded, but flavorful:
>Eunuch Warlock
>appears in oriental adventures
>full 10 level prestige class
>can add empower spell to a single spell they know which will be unmodified by level every other level
>only gains an extra effective caster level at 5 and 10, though still gains new spells
>Special prerequisite: cut off your dick and be in the service of a lord
>>
Haven't seen this done in any "official" books (though it's probably out there somewhere) but my favorite character concept is Gladiator
>Master of many weapons
>Commands an enemy to "1v1 me bro"
>The flashier his attacks and dodges are, the more powerful he becomes
>>
>>48592806
Do 4e paragon paths count?
Because a lot would be pretty cool and thematic - but weak, usually there are a couple pps that are just better for each class. I've seen less than half total pps played, it's a shame.
>>
>>48600269
Thief of Legend, represent!
>>
>>48600374
Oh gods, the EDs...
the EDs without a +2 to at least a stat might as well not exist.
it's a shame and a waste of good paper!
>>
File: qpzCf.jpg (122KB, 325x427px) Image search: [Google]
qpzCf.jpg
122KB, 325x427px
>>48592806
Binder

Biiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnddder.

Everything to do about it.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.