[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making your own RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

File: rpg-meme.jpg (64KB, 475x562px) Image search: [Google]
rpg-meme.jpg
64KB, 475x562px
So who of you are writing your own RPG?
What are your experiences:
>How supportive are your role-playing friends?
>Do you write it all by yourself, do you have co-authors?
>Do people play -or even run- testgames for you?
>Do people do proofreading or do they even edit your shit?
>Do your friends do other stuff to help you?
Tell me what to reasonably expect.
>>
File: 1410152255832.jpg (170KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1410152255832.jpg
170KB, 442x650px
>>48582923
>So who of you are writing your own RPG?
Several. For a decade.
>What are your experiences:
I cannot into time management.
They insist they'll play anything I make. Anything. Everything. They have low standards.
I write it myself, but I do bounce ideas off others. The math, though, that's another story. I've got a friend that is an exceptional help with math crafting.
Other people run a game? Ha. Haha. If anyone is going to run a game, any game, it always winds up being me. I'll just be here, crying.
I do several proof readings, and have others read my work. It's the layout I'm shit at.
Well, kind of. They tell me I'm not shit while I cry because I know I'm shit.
>Tell me what to reasonably expect.
Years of failure.
>>
File: typing intensifies.gif (3MB, 367x206px) Image search: [Google]
typing intensifies.gif
3MB, 367x206px
>>48582923
For about two years.

They seem to have fun with the system and the world, since it's all done for the group anyway. At some point - about two years back - we got fed up with existing systems. I decided to play mad scientist and create the chimera we now use.
I write most of it myself. I run the math through a friend to double-check the numbers and I got another one to help me check language for rules - clarity and whatnot.
We play maybe once a month, and have about an hour of feedback after it. Since the players know we do this partly to test the system, there's very little salt when things go sideways and we've retconned more than once to compensate for shitty first-iteration rules.
They come up with some ideas for classes/jobs/etc. Usually during feedback time.
>>
>>48582923
Yeah, on a whim i wrote up my first a few days ago.
My 'net friends were supportive enough in tearing down most of what I wrote.
Input on ideas, numbers and systems to steal, plus /tg/ statted up a good deal of the material for me.
Trying to get the playing/testing stage going now.
Remake it from almost the ground up a few times and you'll deal with most grammar and spelling problems.
Erm. Not especially?
>>
>>48582923
>>48583147
>time management

Yeah, I should have added the question:
How old are you and how much time do you and your friends have for this kind of stuff?
>>
gentle bump
>>
File: Beetle Knight with Sword.gif (42KB, 152x99px) Image search: [Google]
Beetle Knight with Sword.gif
42KB, 152x99px
Moderately. They don't particularly care, but they share their opinions when asked.
Myself, though I rip off other games regularly.
Play, yes; run, no. DMs are scarcer than players, so it is easy to run a game using whatever you want but not so easy to convince a DM to change his plans.
They do.
Certainly! They helped me change my roof shingles last week.
Oh, you mean for the game? They brainstorm pretty well. Not much else.
>>
Anyone else? Plox?
>>
File: harryclarkefaust.jpg (50KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
harryclarkefaust.jpg
50KB, 500x425px
Some think it's cool but most don't really pay much mind to my /tg/ stuff and then act all "Wow, you put a lot of work into this" when I show up to game.
All by myself. I've been trying to get more specific feedback on mechanics but it's hard to get interest. The best stuff I've gotten was explaining where my phrasing was really weird.
I've only ran 7 sessions of it. The first 2 or 3 were really rough since some critical flaws got exposed.
My brother has given me proofreading advice every now and then.
Not a whole bunch. I just finished up my degree so the past year has been way too busy to hang out with folks much.

I'm hoping though, I've gotten to the point that I have the core parts of the system fairly worked out and am almost done towards a pdf of that. Now that I have a lot more freetime, I can start playtesting and designing more often. The hardest part has been getting time commitment and that it's a lot more work than you'd think.
>>
File: 1408331764777.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1408331764777.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>48582923
It depends. Some are pretty on board. Others could give two shits less.

All on my own.

Sadly no. For a variety of reasons, but mostly because the one person from my circle who is honestly supportive wouldn't be much of a test group.

Nope. Word processors are a decent thing though, so I feel I do alright on this regard. Loop holes and what not require more play to find generally, so hard to edit them.

I've gotten plenty of bits of advice for existing games we play that we do house rules for. For my own stuff, not in the least.

I sometimes feel this might be a more productive use of my time, but I'm stubborn enough to keep toying with it.
>>
>So who of you are writing your own RPG?
I've got two in the works
Enough.
Right now it is just me, but I'll post beta stuff in a few months for thoughts from the community.
Not yet, but I've gotten feedback from my friends on ideas for it.
Not yet
They are supportive
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.