[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LONE WOLF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 16

File: lonewolf01ab.jpg (63KB, 350x573px) Image search: [Google]
lonewolf01ab.jpg
63KB, 350x573px
Hey /tg/, it's been a while since we did this, and I just picked up the books again myself after chatting with a friend, so how about a run through some LONE WOLF? For those of you not familiar, Lone Wolf is an old 80s-90s CYOA book series with a pretty basic but fun essentially d10 system. We'll be using the version of the books hosted on Project Aon. For now, all you need to know is

You are Lone Wolf. In a devastating attack the Darklords have destroyed the monastery where you were learning the skills of the Kai Lords. You are the sole survivor.
>>
oh boy oh boy we're gonna die horribly
>>
>>48544115
I kill myself because I may as well get it over with
>>
>>48544115
The Kai Lords are an order of ancient monks who practice the arts of the Magnakai. Long ago, they fought against the forces of the Darklords, the most terrible of which was Vashna. Thrown down into the Maakengorge by King Ulnar, the Darklords have sworn revenge against the Sommerlund ever since, and the Kai Lords stood as its defenders.

On the feast of Fehmarn, the forces of the Darklords swept upon your home, the Kai Monastery. Only chance saved you - you were in the forest gathering wood, and in your haste to return to the monastery, were knocked unconscious. Now you are the only survivor, and you must warn your king that war descends on Sommerlund, for the Darklords have returned after many years of peace.

Let's determine your Combat Skill and Endurance - roll me a d10, /tg/. The first roll will be for Combat Skill (10+the roll, 10 counts as zero) and the second will be for Endurance (20+the roll, 10 counts as 0)
>>
Rolled 5 (1d10)

>>48544199
Let's do this
>>
Rolled 7 (1d10)

>>48544199
PREPARE FOR SUFFER
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>48544199
rollin'
>>
>>48544199
> DRAW SOMMERSORD
> SLAY EVIL
>>
>>48544249
>>48544253
A Combat Skill of 15, and an Endurance of 27. Respectable!

Over the centuries, the Kai monks have mastered the skills of the warrior. These skills are known as the Kai Disciplines, and they are taught to all Kai Lords. You have learnt only five of the skills listed below. The choice of which five skills these are, is for you to make. As all of the Disciplines may be of use to you at some point on your perilous quest, pick your five with care. The correct use of a Discipline at the right time can save your life.

Each poster choose a discipline. First five answers will be used.

CAMOUFLAGE - Camouflage allows a Kai Lord to blend in with his surroundings. This covers both the ability to hide in the wilderness, and the ability to blend in in a city or town - adopting local mannerisms/language/etc.

Hunting - Hunting ensures a Kai Lord will never starve in the wild. As long as you're in a wilderness setting and not a wasteland, you can use Hunting in place of eating a Meal to avoid losing Endurance due to starvation.

SIXTH SENSE - A Kai Lord's Sixth Sense can warn him of danger, or give him insight into the true meaning of someone's words.

TRACKING - Tracking helps a Kai Lord choose the correct path in the wilderness, locate a person or object, or give chase to a fleeing foe.

HEALING - A Kai Lord with this discipline recovers 1 Endurance point every section he manages to avoid combat. He also knows something about herbcraft, being able to identify useful healing herbs and deadly poisons.
[CONT]
>>
>>48544480

WEAPONSKILL - The Kai Lords are trained to master weapons. There are ten weapons used by the Kai Lords, and each Kai Lord shows exceptional talent for one such weapon. If you choose this Discipline, roll me a d10 to see which weapon Lone Wolf specializes in. When wielding that weapon, you gain +2 COMBAT SKILL.

MINDSHIELD - The Darklords and some of their minions can use their minds as deadly weapons, breaking the wills of their opponents and causing great pain. Mindshield protects you from psychic attack.

MINDBLAST - Kai Lords can learn to use their mind as a weapon, striking down foes with deadly psychic attack as surely as with a blade. Mindblast grants +2 to Combat Skill, but many deadly foes can shield themselves from this skill, so beware!

ANIMAL KINSHIP - Kai Lords can understand the minds of animals to a limited degree, having an easier time earning the friendship and understanding of animals, who can be useful allies.

MIND OVER MATTER - As well as being a weapon, the psychic powers of a Kai Lord can be used to move small objects at a distance, which can sometimes be very useful.

Let voting begin!
>>
>>48544480
HEALING

ALWAYS TAKE HEALING
>>
>>48544199
Combat 11 endurance 18
>>
>>48544500
Mindshield
>>
>>48544500
Sixth Sense

WE JEDI NOW
>>
>>48544480
Animal Kinship! I want a pet squirrel!
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>48544500
Weaponskill, fuck it
>>
>>48544735
That can't be good.
>>
>>48544812
It's just picking the weapon we have training in, it's not that bad.

though rolling something that doesn't have 'sword' in the name is basically a wasted discipline
>>
File: Lastlands Map.png (1MB, 1024x793px) Image search: [Google]
Lastlands Map.png
1MB, 1024x793px
>>48544735
>>48544681
>>48544676
>>48544653
>>48544503
Our Disciplines are Healing, Mindshield, Sixth Sense, Animal Kinship, and Weaponskill: Spear.

Right now you don't necessarily have a spear, just the axe you took with you to chop wood, but there will be chances to find these weapons on your journey.

Currently, your inventory is your AXE and a BACKPACK containing 1 MEAL. You also have a MAP of the Lastlands (Sommerlund and its ally, Durenor), posted alongside this message.

You can carry up to two weapons, eight items in your Backpack (each Meal counts as one item), up to 50 Gold Crowns (the currency of the realm), and a number of Special Items that don't fit into any of these slots, like shields, armor, and useful trinkets.

You also find some Gold Crowns and one other useful item - go ahead and roll me two more d10, one at a time, /tg/. The first will be how many Gold Crowns you find (10+the number, 10 counts as 0) and the second will tell us what else you recover from the ruins of the monastery.
>>
>>48544909
>>
>>48544909
Money money honey
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>48544909
>>48544963
Let's try that again, shall we?
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>48544909
Money!
>>
>>48544985
>>48544995
You find a pouch with 14 Gold Crowns and... Well, isn't that fortunate? A SPEAR. That +2 Combat Skill certainly doesn't hurt!

Your mastery of five Kai Disciplines makes you an Initiate. You have a long way to go before you become a Kai Master, but first you need to survive your harrying flight and warn the king of the approach of war.

You must set out for the Sommlending capital of Holmgard and tell the King the terrible news of the massacre: that the whole élite of Kai warriors, save yourself, have been slaughtered. Without the Kai Lords to lead her armies, Sommerlund will be at the mercy of their ancient enemy, the Darklords.

At the foot of the hill, the path splits in two directions, both leading into a large wood. Fortunately, your Sixth Sense warns you that these paths are being patrolled by servants of the Darklords, but you can cut your way through the undergrowth.

Which way will you proceed?
>SOUTH
>NORTHEAST, cutting through heavy foliage

For now, I'm taking the first answer I get. If we end up with a large number of posters, I might move to first to three.
>>
>>48545109
NE
>>
>>48545109
Ne
>>
>>48545109
>Northeast, cutting through heavy foliage

If only camouflage worked more often, we could do fun things like be sneaky.
>>
File: LoneWolfWizard.png (75KB, 386x676px) Image search: [Google]
LoneWolfWizard.png
75KB, 386x676px
>>48545133
As you proceed through the foliage, a foul creature with dark wings swoops overhead. It is a Kraan, one of the creatures that laid waste to the Kai Monastery. On its back ride two gray-skinned creatures wielding savage spears - Mountain Giaks, servants of the Darklords. Fortunately, you are hidden by the trees, and the Kraan swoops onward, disappearing to the south.

You have covered about a quarter mile through the woods when a sudden sound like a thunderclap erupts. Edging nearer, you recognize the ruins of Raumas, an ancient forest temple. A war party of twenty-five Giaks are attacking the temple from all sides, with more lying dead around the ruins. A bolt of blue lightning rips through the ranks of the Giaks and sends them tumbling in all directions. Their leader curses and whips the cowards back towards the ruins with a cruel flail.

With weapon in hand, you creep forward to get a glimpse of the defenders. To your shock, the defender is a single man not much older than you yourself! You recognize the sky-blue robes he wears - he is a theurgist of the Magicians' Guild in Toran, certainly an apprentice. Giaks rush forward again, and he retreats, scorching them with a bolt of blue flame. But your eyes catch a Giak creeping onto the pillars of the temple, a long curved dagger in his mouth.

Will you:
>SHOUT A WARNING
>RUSH FORWARD TO ATTACK THE GIAK
>THROW A CHUNK OF TEMPLE STONE AT THE GIAK (d10 roll)
>LEAVE THE BATTLE BEHIND AND HEAD BACK TO THE WOODS
>>
>>48545277
>SHOUT A WARNING
>>
>>48545277
Rush forward to attack
>>
>>48545296
>>48545277
Can we go with
>THROW A CHUNK OF TEMPLE STONE AT THE GIAK

instead?
>>
Rolled 9 (1d10)

>>48545319
forgot dice roll
>>
>>48545296
>>48545319
Sticking with the first choice posted for now. If there's a significant desire, we can change that up.
(Incoming huge chunk of text)
The wizard heeds your cry and spins around just in time to loose a searing bolt of energy at the Giak. The creature’s head disintegrates in flames and its twitching body falls in a heap at the foot of the pillar. The Giak officer sees you and shouts, ‘Ogot…Ogot!’ to his cowering troops, who quickly run away from the ruins to the safety of the forest beyond.

The young wizard wipes his brow, and walks towards you, his hand extended in gratitude and friendship.

He is a young blond-haired youth with deep brooding eyes. His face is lined with exhaustion and the grime of battle, and his long sky-blue robes bear evidence of living rough in the wilds. He shakes your hand and bows. ‘My eternal thanks, Kai Lord. My powers are nearly drained. Had you not come to my aid, I fear I would have ended my days atop a Giak lance.’

He is weak and unsteady on his feet. You take his arm and sit him down upon a fallen pillar where you listen intently to what he has to say.

‘My name is Banedon. I am journeyman to the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, which is the Magicians’ Guild of Toran. My Guildmaster has sent me to your monastery with this urgent message.’ He removes a vellum envelope from inside his robes and hands it to you.

‘As you see, I have opened the letter and read its contents. When the war started, I was on the highway with two travelling companions. The Kraan attacked us and we lost each other in the forest during our escape.’

The letter is a warning to the Kai Lords that the Darklords have mustered a vast army beyond the Durncrag Range. The Guildmaster urges the Kai to cancel the celebrations of Fehmarn and prepare for war.
[c]
>>
>>48545354
In the future you might wanna summarize big walls of text like this.
>>
>>48545354
‘I fear we were betrayed,’ says Banedon, his head bowed in sorrow.

‘One of my order, a brother called Vonotar, had explored the forbidden mysteries of the Black Art. Ten days ago he denounced the Brotherhood and killed one of our Elders. He has since disappeared. It is rumoured that he now aids the Darklords.’

You tell Banedon what has happened at the monastery, and of your mission to warn the King. Silently, he removes a gold chain from around his neck and hands it to you. On the chain is a small Crystal Star Pendant. ‘It is the symbol of my Brotherhood, and we are both truly brothers in this hour of darkness. It is a talisman of good fortune—may it protect you on your road ahead.’

(You gain a CRYSTAL STAR PENDANT. This is a Special Item, so it doesn't use up any of your backpack slots)

Banedon bids you farewell. ‘We must leave this place lest the Giaks return with more of their loathsome kind to put an end to us. I must return to my Guild. I bid you farewell, my brother. May the luck of the gods go with you.’

Not long after you part with Banedon, your senses alert you to yellow eyes peering at you from the undergrowth. Suddenly, a black arrow skims by your head! It is an ambush by the Giaks! You flee into the forest, the giaks cackling behind you. You must find a way to escape this ambush! A rocky hillside lies ahead.

>BREAK COVER AND RUN FOR THE HILL
>CHANGE DIRECTION AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE FOREST

>>48545416
Yeah, probably. This is a pretty significant scene for later plots, and it was mostly copy-paste.
>>
>>48545432
Change direction
>>
>>48545416
If you pretend it's a quest-thread-lite, the walls of text are much more tolerable.

>>48545432
>CHANGE DIRECTION AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE FOREST
>>
>>48545432
Change direction!
>>
>>48545463
Personally I don't mind much (I've read these books WAY TOO FUCKING MUCH as is (did you know you can play Lone Wolf on a smartphone)) but I dunno, thought I'd suggest it. I remember the last time someone did this, he mostly summarized. In capslock.
>>
>>48545458
>>48545463
The Giaks are unaccustomed to hard pursuit through the forest, and you eventually lose them. You take a moment to gather your wits and your breath and continue on through the forest. After some time proceeding forward, you see something that gives you pause: The briars ahead are red gallowbrush, commonly known as 'Sleeptooth'. They are very sharp and cause weakness and drowsiness in those pierced by them.

>GO AROUND THE GALLOWBRUSH BY RETURNING TO THE TRACK
>ATTEMPT TO PUSH THROUGH
>>
>>48545521
>mostly summarized
>in capslock

Interesting.

>>48545527
>GO AROUND
>>
>People of Sommerlund are a blond haired blue eyed race sent to The planet Magnamund and made in the likeness of the Gods Kai and Ishir to do battle against the forces of evil. Have talents far beyond that of other races.

Thank god these books came out in the eighties. They would never have seen the light of day today.
>>
>>48545563
Please stop.
>>
>>48545553
You return to the track, keeping a careful eye on the skies above. This road leads to Fogwood, a small collection of huts used by a family of charcoal burners. Curiously, the smoke that gives the forest its name is missing, and the huts are quiet. You bring your weapon close to hand and proceed on warily.

Unfortunately, when you reach the huts, it becomes clear the giaks have already struck. The charcoal burners lie dead, murdered with spears, and most of their possessions smashed or burned. You find a giak spear amongst the rubble, and continue onward, your determination renewed.

Ahead, you spy a jet-black raven perched on the branch of an old oak tree.

>USE ANIMAL KINSHIP TO CALL TO THE RAVEN
>DECIDE NOT TO CALL TO THE RAVEN
>>
>>48545660
>USE ANIMAL KINSHIP TO CALL TO THE RAVEN

Might as well ask what happened. What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>48545675
Agreed
>>
>>48545675
crows are assholes, though
>>
>>48545732
Thank god its a raven than
>>
>>48545675
The bird turns to face you and cries out a foul curse. It takes to the skies, and you realize that this bird must be a scout of your enemy, in service to the Darklords. No doubt it is reporting your presence to its masters. You should move on, before it returns.

>CONTINUE ALONG THE TRACK
>BACK INTO THE FOREST
>>
>>48545732
They're pretty goddamn intelligent, and can be pretty decent not-assholes.
>>
>>48545752
I'm not going to lie, I don't actually know the difference.
>>
>>48545753
Forest
>>
>>48545753
>BACK INTO THE FOREST
>>
Is the New Order Series any good, /tg/?
More importantly, does it have the same awesome wonky art under the covers?
>>
>>48545776
>>48545771
(Wow, a bunch of really short back-to-back choices here)

You decide it's safer to move under the cover of the trees, and plunge back into the forest. You find a cool river, cleaning your face and clearing your head from the stress of the chase thus far. As you cross the river, the sight and scent of wood smoke float towards you from the north.

>INVESTIGATE SMOKE
>FUCK THAT
>>
>>48545817
Investigation
>>
>>48545804

More modern imo. And New Order books suck and focus more on a new Asian type continent that is super boring.
>>
>>48545840
You've killed us
>>
>>48545804
I thought they were pretty fun, but they kind of lose something since they're separated from all the history Lone Wolf himself has.
>>
>>48545840
You follow the scent of the smoke, and find yourself at a terrifying scene. The giaks have captured a man in the uniform of the Border Rangers and lashed him to a stake, and are building a brushwood fire below him. Compelled by rage and honor, you draw your weapon and step forth to defend the man's life! Your first blow fells a surprised giak, and the other two scramble for their weapons. Combat! Roll me some d10s, /tg/, I'll tell you when to stop.

>GIAK 1: CS14, EN11
>GIAK 2: CS13, EN11
>LONE WOLF: CS17, EN27
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>48545931
Oh shit. Did we equip our spear?
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>48545931
>>
>>48545931
Thankfully imma spear master
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>48545931
More d10s for the d10 god

More 0's for the 0 throne
>>
File: rh-crtpos.png (23KB, 386x472px) Image search: [Google]
rh-crtpos.png
23KB, 386x472px
>>48545940
>>48545942
>>48545999

I'm assuming Lone Wolf is smart enough to use the spear he found.

>GIAK 1: SLAIN
>GIAK 2: CS13, EN5
>LONE WOLF: CS17, EN 22
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>48546020
>>
>>48546057
aw yeeeeeeee
>>
>>48546057
(I saw that, you nerds. I'll let it slide this time)
You finish combat with 22 EN, and your Healing prowess means you're back up to 23 by the end of this post.

Unfortunately, the Ranger is beyond saving. Your Kai discipline of Healing allows you to tend his wounds and see him to a comfortable rest, but he expires wordlessly. You lay him to rest beneath a large oak tree and continue your quest.

The combat and loss of a son of the Sommlending makes you weary, and you find a fallen tree to rest against. Curiously, a small bundle is hidden beneath the trunk.

>INVESTIGATE
>NAH, GOTTA QUEST
>>
>>48546133
CHECK BUNDLE: DOES BUNDLE CONTAIN A CHEESE?
>>
>>48546133
Investigate
>>
>>48546133
Saw what? There's nothing to see.

>INVESTIGATE
>>
File: Tunnel.png (15KB, 386x150px) Image search: [Google]
Tunnel.png
15KB, 386x150px
>>48546166
The bundle is tied with women's clothing, and contains 6 Gold Crowns and a tablet of perfumed soap. I'll let you decide if you want to keep the soap.

You return to your walk and wander through the woods for nearly two hours, concerned you may have lost your way. As you descend a rocky hill, however, you spot something intriguing - a tunnel through the hillside beyond. It is seven feet high and about ten wide. A breeze flows from the blackness. Cutting through the tunnel would save significant time and effort climbing this hill, but it is dark and could contain unknown dangers.

>TUNNEL
>CLIMB
>>
>>48546262
(Forgot to mention - this was three book sections, so you regained 3 Endurance. I'll try to post a running count)
>>
>>48546262
TUNNEL
TUNNEL
TUNNEL
TUNNEL
TUNNEL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usp9eFi-0Aw
>>
>>48546262
Keep the soap, tunnel
>>
File: BURROWCRAWLER.png (59KB, 386x666px) Image search: [Google]
BURROWCRAWLER.png
59KB, 386x666px
>>48546333
The tunnel is frightfully dark and cool. It's nearly impossible to see without a torch. A foul scent touches your nose, the scent of carrion. A heavy impact sends you to your knees, and you feel tendrils curl for your throat as you reach for your spear! The beast is a burrowcrawler, and it means to strangle and devour you! Animal Kinship is no help here - the beast is mad with hunger.

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS14 (-3 Darkness), EN25
>Burrowcrawler: CS17, EN7
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>48546443
>>
File: rh-crtneg.png (23KB, 386x472px) Image search: [Google]
rh-crtneg.png
23KB, 386x472px
>>48546460
Gonna need one more, folks.

>Lone Wolf: CS14, EN22
>Burrowcrawler: CS17, EN1
>>
Rolled 3 (1d10)

>>48546594
gotchu
>>
>>48546597
You triumph over the beast, though not without taking a few licks. You tug at something in the creature's mouth that seems to be your belt - but when you escape, it turns out to be a leather strap from some other hapless victim. It has a dagger attached (You can swap this for your axe or spear) and twenty more Gold Crowns (bringing your total up to 40).

The fresh air relieves you and you press on to the east. The forest thins, revealing the long highway towards the capital. Many people are walking this long road with the look of refugees, dragging their belongings in bags or pushing them on handcarts.

>JOIN THE REFUGEES
>CONTINUE UNDER THE TREES

(Final Endurance: 19)
>>
>>48546651
>JOIN THE REFUGEES

Safety in numbers, or at least a bit of a meat shield for the next encounter.
>>
>>48546667
You join the refugees, many tired and hungry. Their city in the north have been burnt by the forces of the Darklords.

Suddenly you hear the telltale sound of leathery wings on the air. The refugees shout in panic, screaming 'Kraan!' as the beasts swoop in. As they flee, a wagon full of children sinks its wheel into a furrow and topples. The children scream in panic as the beast swoops in.

>BE A HERO
>WUSS OUT AND RUN FOR COVER
>>
>>48546729
Only answer here is to
>WUSS OUT AND RUN FOR COVER
>>
>>48546754
Bitterly, you dive into the trees. The Kraan swoops down, three giaks leaping from its back and drawing their weapons. They advance on the children menacingly.

>GO BE A HERO
>WIMP OUT FOR REAL

(Endurance:21)
>>
>>48546819
Wait, save the children, maybe?

>go be a hero
>>
>>48546839
A Kai Lord is sworn to defense of the Sommerlund. You draw your spear and advance, the giaks turning their spears on you when they realize you pose a true threat. You will have to dispatch the giaks as a group.

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN21
>Giaks: CS15, EN13

If you survive, you see two potential avenues of escape
>BARN
>FOREST
>>
>>48546839
Be a hero
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>48546903
Barn
>>
>>48546903
Barn!
>>
>>48546927
You plan your break from the barn and lash out at the giaks.

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN 18
>Giaks: CS15, EN6
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>
>>48547108
Gonna need one more, folks. As a general rule, if I don't respond, it's not dead.

COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN13
>Giaks: CS15, EN2
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>48547227
Last post tonight. Hope it goes well
>>
>>48547337
You slay the last of the Giaks as the children escape and flee into the farmhouse, kicking open the door. A warhammer rests against the fireplace (you can swap this for one of your current weapons). Outside, you can hear the shrill cry of the Kraan.

>STAY HERE
>HEAD FOR THE WOODS
>SEARCH THE ROOM

[ENDURANCE: 12]
>>
>>48547421

Searching the room can't be that bad yeah?
>>
Uh, bump?

Still would like to search the room I guess.
>>
File: Magnamund World Map.png (4MB, 5138x5234px) Image search: [Google]
Magnamund World Map.png
4MB, 5138x5234px
>>48544115
I'm running a game in Magnamund now, as it so happens.
>>
>>48549848
Bump read me more
>>
Neat, a paused Lone Wolf quest!

Remember, /tg/: beware of basically anyone in a hood.
>>
>>48549848
Wowsers, that's huge. How much of it actually features in the Lone Wolf books? I only recall place names from the upper land mass.
>>
>>48545521
What is it an app or something? Free? OS?
>>
>>48550899
Free app with no adds but very occasional 'hey if you like this, maybe donate please?' notifications - I've only seen one once. It's Lone Wolf Saga for Android.
>>
>>48551014
Thanks anon, I'll give it a look.
>>
Core part of my childhood. The plot was a bit meh but world building was 10/10. Joe Dever was a hardcore AD&D player and that was where he got most of his ideas from I recall.
>>
>>48550607
The southern continent features more in the New Order and Grey Star the Wizard books.
>>
>>48551014
Tottaly downloading
>>
Also, for those who want to play Lone Wolf on their computers, Seventh Sense is a great PC variant - most notably, it offers a 'prodigy' mode that does a little rebalancing so that the Sommerswerd isn't an automatic I WIN button past the book you get it in - it only gives its full bonus against darklords and their champions, and other named and notable weapons also give small bonuses when used, so you're encouraged to switch things up. It's a lot of fun.
>>
>>48551681
Where to get it
>>
>>48551716
https://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/
>>
>>48551681
I think you mean it's strictly better, rather than an I WIN button. Even with it there are some fights that are pretty impossible without godlike starting stats.
>>
>/tg/ didn't pick mindblast
Best defence is mind bullets, guys.
>>
>>48552652
Except against literally everything immune to them.

and against falling masts
>>
>>48552749
Damn helghasts.
>>
File: Kings Knight.png (14KB, 386x150px) Image search: [Google]
Kings Knight.png
14KB, 386x150px
>>48548108
(Sorry about that folks, I wandered off and passed out.)

Your search of the room reveals that the place has mostly been emptied out - whoever lived here took most of his belongings with him. You did find enough food for one MEAL, at least.

After about an hour, the Kraan and their riders fade away to the west. The refugees slowly emerge from their hiding places in the woods, and you hear the sound of approaching horses. Cautiously, you look to see who is approaching, and are relieved to see the white uniforms of the King's Army on the approaching knights.

>CALL OUT TO THEM
>CONTINUE THROUGH THE FOREST ALONE
>>
>>48553649
Call out, they seem trustworthy kingfearing folk.
>>
>>48553649
Call out
>>
>>48553672
>>48553701
The men stop their horses and demand to know your business, but seem relieved by your green Kai cloak. You explain your mission, and the captain of the men offers to provide a horse for you if you will ride with him to meet Prince Pelathar.

>ACCEPT
>GO IT ALONE

(Endurance: 15)
>>
>>48553754
Accept
>>
File: the gourgaz.png (74KB, 386x692px) Image search: [Google]
the gourgaz.png
74KB, 386x692px
>>48553941
>>48553941
Ahead, you see a fierce battle on the bridge. The men give a shout when they see their Prince, Pelathar, locked in combat with a fearsome Gourgaz. A black arrow strikes the prince in the side, driving him to his knees. The scaly beast raises a huge black axe, prepared to strike.

>SAVE THE PRINCE
>FLEE INTO THE FOREST

(Endurance: 16)
>>
>>48554150
Save prince
>>
>>48554150
Save
>>
>>48554185
Your foe is the Gourgaz, a fierce reptilian with a hunger for human flesh! The prince's sword lies in easy reach, if you want to replace your axe or spear. It offers no escape - this will be a fight to the death!

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN16
>Gourgaz: CS20, EN30
>Combat Ratio: -3
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>48554229
>>
Rolled 1, 3 = 4 (2d10)

>>48554229
>>
>>48554248
Well, that's a promising start, at least.

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN16
>Gourgaz: CS20, EN20
>Combat Ratio: -3
>>
Rolled 10, 1, 8 = 19 (3d10)

>>48554297
>>
Rolled 9, 3, 9 = 21 (3d10)

>>48554229
>>
>>48554397
>>48554461
Thanks to fortune (and Sun Eagle ignoring a couple bad rolls because she was already replying) you emerge victorious but bloodied from combat.

The Gourgaz falls, and the giaks following the beast hiss and retreat. The king's men step forward, their shields providing cover for you and the prince from the giaks' vengeful arrows.

The prince is badly wounded. He gasps, begging you to return to his father and bear word - Sommerlund cannot stand alone against the Darklords. You must seek the legacy of King Ulnar in Durenor, the Sommerswerd. The prince begs you to take his steed and ride with all haste to the capital. You mount the white horse and ride from the bridge, the king's men fighting a valiant defense on the bridge as you escape.

The horse is swift and sure-footed, and you make haste away from the bridge. You come to a path that forks in two directions. There was a signpost here, but it has been hacked down. You are hungry, and eat a MEAL while you make your choice (Meals left: 1)

>LEFT
>RIGHT

(Endurance: 11)
>>
>>48554796
Left
>>
>>48554832
You ride about five miles before, in the distance, you spot an unmistakable silhouette - Doomwolves, bearing giaks on their back. They seem to be proceeding towards an open clearing in the distance. Suddenly, one of them doubles back, riding down the path towards you.

>HIDE IN THE UNDERGROWTH AND LET HIM PASS
>TAKE HIM OUT

(Endurance: 12)
>>
>>48554882
Hiiiiiide.
>>
>>48554882
Imma say hide for the novelty
>>
>>48554955
>>48554976
You drive your horse into the underbrush, hiding behind some thick trees. Fortunately it works, and the Doomwolf and its rider carry on further down the road.

>GO TAKE OUT THE REST OF THEM
>DEEPER INTO THE FOREST

(Endurance: 13)
>>
>>48555014
Would be kind of schizophrenic to go murder the rest of them after hiding from one, but... let's be schizophrenic.
>>
>>48555067
You ride down the rest of the Doomwolves, spear flashing!

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN13
>Doomwolf 1: CS13, EN24
>Doomwolf 2: CS14, EN23
>Doomwolf 3: CS14, EN22
>Doomwolf 4: CS15, EN21
>>
Rolled 7, 10, 9 = 26 (3d10)

>>48555111
Oh shit that might not have been the best move.
>>
>>48555132
at least you're rolling well.
>>
Rolled 7, 2, 10 = 19 (3d10)

>>48555146
Kai ancestors aid my rolls!
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>48555111
>>
Rolled 7, 1 = 8 (2d10)

>>48555111
Continue the shanking!
>>
Rolled 6, 1 = 7 (2d10)

>>48555225
Are we dead yet? If not, needs more spear.
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 7 = 17 (3d10)

>>48555111
>>
>>48555225
>>48555212
>>48555188
>>48555132
(You literally lived by 1 point, you lucky fucks)
The battle is fierce, but you lay waste to the Doomwolves, shouting fiercely. You drive your horse through the clearing and onto the highway from here to the capital. You should make it to Holmgard by the morning.

As darkness falls, you pull off to the side of the road, finding a comfortable and well-hidden spot to curl up in your cloak. You are awoken by the sound of Kraan, and peer up through the trees to see several of them turn to the north. Fortunately, you don't believe you've been spotted, but you elect to ride hard nonetheless.

You crest a high peak and gaze onto the horizon, knowing that soon you will look on Holmgard. Sure enough, the city lies before you - as does a vast black army moving towards it. You must find your way to the capital before all is lost.

>BRAVE THE HIGHWAY
>FOLLOW THE RIVER
>DARE THE GRAVEYARD OF THE ANCIENTS

(Final Endurance: 6)
>>
>>48555393
Graveyard graveyard
>>
File: Graveyard.png (71KB, 386x676px) Image search: [Google]
Graveyard.png
71KB, 386x676px
>>48555510
You press on towards the graveyard - despite its dangers, it seems clear of enemies, at least. A dense fog clouds the haunted place, and your horse refuses to enter, forcing you to proceed on foot.

The ground is cracked and choked with thorny grave briars, and a grim cloud hangs over the place. You carefully approach a gap between two pillars, parting the briars with the aid of your cloak - and the ground slides beneath your feet, sending you tumbling into the darkness.

You are winded but not hurt. You have fallen into an underground tomb, and an archway to the east offers escape. An ancient, richly-laden sarcophagus lies in the tomb, but your Sixth Sense warns you that this place is evil, and you wisely decide not to stick around.

The tunnel is dank and slimy, cobwebs choking the hall. The further you proceed, the dimmer things get. Finally, you reach a point where the tunnel splits in two.

>NORTH
>SOUTH
>>
>>48555393
river
>>
>>48555623
North!
>>
Rolled 3 (1d6)

>>48555623
Odd sez north, even sez south
>>
>>48555775
>>48555777
You move along the northern passageway. A sharp turn to the east is illuminated by a strange green light, giving you pause.

>CONTINUE
>HMM, SOUTH INSTEAD?

(Endurance: 12)
>>
>>48555847
I eat green lights for breakfast
>>
>>48555847
oh shit, go south
>>
>>48555892
You descend a flight of stone stairs that lead to a large chamber. A macabre sight awaits you. Directly opposite, across the large stone room, is an ornate archway with a corridor leading into the darkness beyond. The strange green light radiates from two lines of skulls each resting on a stone plinth. They face each other to form an eerie walkway across the room.

>CROSS THE HALL
>SMASH THOSE SKULLS

(Endurance: 13)
>>
>>48555983
Smash dem skulls.
>>
>>48555995
As each skull is smashed, a strange grey jelly writhes within. You watch as they sprout horrifying tendrils and bat-like wings, fleeing across the hall. A portcullis slams shut behind you as you clear the hallway.

The corridor widens into a large hall. At the far end, a stone staircase leads up to a huge door, flanked by black candles. The candles burn without melting, and as you get closer you realize they give off no heat. A complex lock sits on the door, apparently locked with an ornate pin. There is also a keyhole, but you lack a matching key. With no other option for escape, you reach out and draw the pin from the lock. As you do, a loud crack is heard.

>ROLL ME A D10, LONE WOLF!

(Endurance: 16)
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>48556140
LUCK BE A LADY TONIGHT
>>
>>48556178
It... was not.

All that remains of you now is embedded five feet into the stairs on which you were standing, beneath a vast granite block.

Your mission and your life end here.

Now, hmm, how do we want to handle deaths?
>REWIND, pretend we left our finger in the last page
>RESTART, start the book over wiser from page 1
>POWER ON, start the next book without the benefits of completing a book in terms of keeping gear/gaining new disciplines

This is a significant enough decision I'll leave it to a vote, probably call it at first to 3 since we don't have too many posters.
>>
>>48556234
I think a rewind would be ok. This way we eventually get to see the whole journey.
>>
>>48556276
Rewind
>>
>>48556234
Powering on would be a bad idea as currently written, but restarting would make us take forever to get through and rewinding might get us trapped later on. Hmm.
>>
>>48556317
I mean, each book is written to be *possible* with a completely fresh Lone Wolf.

They're just a dick-ton easier if you have more Disciplines/actually good gear.

If you guys get stuck because of a Rewind where it's impossible for you to proceed further, I'll let you know - but in that case, you can only either Restart or move on to the next book.
>>
>>48556351
I would question that. Anyway, rewind I guess?
>>
>>48556369
>>48556276
>>48556299
Eh, it's what we all did when we were twelve, anyways. This section is random chance, so we'll assume you basically Take 20 this shit and get Lone Wolf smashed to paste a few more times, but eventually roll a decent number.

The granite block crashes down, and you narrowly dodge out of the way. You clamber up the opening in the roof, and escape the graveyard, finally catching sight of the palisades erected around Holmgard.

You stagger forward, exhaustion (and being smashed repeatedly by a thwomp) catching up to you and causing your vision to fade. You hear a shout of cheer from the men inside, and are grateful that they recognize your Kai cloak, as bedraggled as you are.

The men bear you inside, one pressing a flask to your lips of some strong drink that helps clear your weary mind. Their sergeant moves to greet you.

"My lord, where are the other Kai Masters? We are in desperate need of their wisdom. The Darklands press us cruelly." His face falls when you tell him of the fate of the monastery, but he understands the urgency of your mission and calls for two horses.

The two of you race through the inner gate, past the enormous stone walls of Holmgard. You come to a halt in front of the main watchtower, soldiers and civilians bustling to and fro.

>STICK WITH THIS GUY
>TRY AND FIND YOUR OWN WAY

(Endurance: 22)
>>
>>48556563
Stick with him
>>
>>48556563
Always trust a sergeant.
>>
>>48556610
Staying close to the officer, you follow him through an arched portal and up a short flight of stairs to a long hall. Soldiers run back and forth bearing orders on ornate scrolls to officers stationed around the city wall.

A haggard and scar-faced man dressed in the white and purple robes of the King’s court approaches you and bids you follow him to the citadel.

>SEEMS LEGIT
>BAIL OUT AND HIT THE STREETS
>>
>>48556638
Bail. We've got like 5 endurance left, right?
>>
>>48556792
oh woops I just noticed we're back up to 22 again, shit
>>
>>48556792
You decide to try your luck on the streets. Unfortunately, the people are in a panic, and in the crush of bodies, you lose an item from your Backpack (I flipped a coin, it was your meal). A runaway horse-cart barrels into you, costing you two Endurance (luckily, with Healing, you're still at 22). As you stagger to your feet, a door bursts open, and a panicked, maddened old man lashes out with a meat cleaver. He looks quite insane.

>FIGHT
>FLEE
>>
>>48556956
Flee
>>
File: Kolanis.png (8KB, 386x124px) Image search: [Google]
Kolanis.png
8KB, 386x124px
>>48556984
You duck into an alleyway, fleeing the madman. At the end of the alley is a green door, with a sign above it.

>CHECK THIS PLACE OUT
>HIT THE STREETS AS SOON AS IT'S SAFE
>>
>>48557024
Check out
>>
>>48557087
The small shop is dark and musty. Books and bottles of every size and colour fill the many shelves. As you close the door, a small black dog begins to yap at you. A bald man appears from behind a large screen and bids you welcome. He politely inquires as to the nature of your visit and offers you a choice of his wares from the glass counter.

Your Kai senses warn you that someone else lurks behind the screen - something of ill intent.

>FUCK IT, HIT THE STREETS
>BUT WHAT'S HE GOT, THO

(Endurance: 25)
>>
>>48557131
I've never gone this way, so what's he got, tho
>>
File: The Herbalist.png (78KB, 386x647px) Image search: [Google]
The Herbalist.png
78KB, 386x647px
>>48557202
The herbalist offers you a selection of special potions. Some increase your strength; some induce invisibility; some give you great powers of stealth; and others give you the power of turning yourself into a gaseous form. The man pulls open the bottom drawer of the counter to reveal a magnificent wand. He says that it is a powerful weapon against all evil creatures, and that it will make you invulnerable in battle. He points to the mystical inscriptions which cover the black staff.

>CHECK THAT WAND
>LET'S SEE THOSE POTIONS
>>
>>48557256
Potions
>>
>>48557256
no 'gtfo, that guy looks hella shady' option?
>>
>>48557352
That time has passed.

>>48557339
You are about to ask the price of the potions when a young man bursts through the bamboo screen, a wicked curved dagger in his hand. You must defend yourself!

>COMBAT
>Lone Wolf: CS17, EN26
>Robber: CS13, EN20
After two rounds, you can flee. If not, the next scene depends on how quickly you defeat him!
>>
Rolled 6, 9, 9 = 24 (3d10)

>>48557411
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>48557411
>>
File: The Roofs of Holmgard.png (85KB, 386x676px) Image search: [Google]
The Roofs of Holmgard.png
85KB, 386x676px
>>48557448
You quickly dispatch your assailant, not expecting the weapon skills of a Kai Lord. (You only took 2 damage)

The sage flees now that his plan has been foiled. You find 12 coins in the robber's purse (bringing you up to the max of 50 - you have to leave some behind). Examination of the sage's goods reveals that they are all cheap imitations. You shake your head and return to the street.

The crowds whip you to and fro in a tense pack, an exhausting ordeal after everything you've been through. You spot an inn and dive free of the crowd, clambering up a stone staircase that leads up to the roof. You sigh and relax for a moment, taking in the sights of Holmgard. You know that from here, you could travel along the tight-packed roofs and get much closer to the citadel - but the 'Roofways' have been banned following several tragic accidental deaths. Still, it may be your only chance to reach the king, given the impossible crush below. You race along the rooftops, closing the gap between you and the citadel. The last leap is a long one, and you steel yourself before taking a running leap.

>ROLL A D10, LONE WOLF!

(Final Endurance: Back up to full)
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>48557586
>>
File: The King.png (76KB, 386x674px) Image search: [Google]
The King.png
76KB, 386x674px
>>48557613
You land with a crash and the impact makes your heart leap. But you draw in a cool breath and realize you've made it safely. You clamber down a drainpipe onto the street below, gazing at the iron gates of the citadel. You spot your chance when a horse-drawn wagon draws the eyes of the guards, the horses spooked by something and rearing up. You dash into the citadel while they're busy, slipping by the crowd.

The inner courtyard is a busy press of activity, and you hope to find your way to the king uninterrupted. Unfortunately, you barely make it a dozen steps before you hear someone shout "STOP THAT MAN!"

You see two armed guards approaching you, along with their sergeant, and your heart leaps - but the sergeant recognizes your green cloak, and the markings of your order. He halts his men and apologizes, calling for the captain of the Guard to escort you. The captain is a tall, brave warrior of the Sommlending, and you tell him your tale as he escorts you through the palace. He nods solemnly and throws open the doors to the throne room. You are about to meet the King.

The King and his advisers are studying maps and charts, faces lined with worry. A silence fills the hall as you tell the tale of the fall of the Kai Monastery. The king approaches and takes your right hand in his.

"Lone Wolf, you have the selfless courage of a Kai Lord. Your determination is a beacon of hope to us in this hour of darkness." The hall gives a cheer, and the King silences them with a wave of his hand. "You have done all that Sommerlund could ask of a worthy son, but still we have need of you. Our only hope lies in Durenor, with the power that defeated the Darklords long ago. Lone Wolf, will you venture to Durenor, and reclaim the Sommerswerd? Only with that godly gift can we free our lands."

You nod, somberly accepting this new quest. It begins in Book 2 of the Lone Wolf series: FIRE ON THE WATER

(Well! You only died once, which is honestly not bad)
>>
>>48557754
Thanks
>>
>>48557784
No problem, it was fun.

I'm down to maybe run book 2 here in a bit, but first, a gift for /tg/!

Lone Wolf has a roleplaying game, which functions relatively similarly to the books themselves. The core book handles Kai Lords, but Heroes of Magnamund adds a whole bunch of other interesting classes, and Book of the Magnakai adds rules for taking things beyond Rank 10.

You can grab the books here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b5ckz3o43b741v1/Lone+Wolf.rar
>>
>>48558027
My want
>>
>>48557754

>Possess the only weapon capable of killing the Darklords

>Give it to another nation as a token of friendship even though they can't use it

Sommerlending logic
>>
>>48558260
If I remember right, King Ulnar actually was related to the royal line of Durenor.

Sommerlund and Durenor are all kinds of intermarried, they've been allies for literally centuries. The Sommlendings are literally Norsemen whereas the Durenorians are... I want to say Germanic? The Knights of the White Mountain are definitely inspired by the Knights Templar and other militant religious orders, at least.
>>
Were the lone wolf novels back in the day any good? Are they available for free download?
>>
>>48558477
I heard they took some liberties with the setting (one has a character looking at a digital watch and driving a car in a distant future ending) and with Lone Wolf's character.

Either way, they're not on Project Aon, so there's probably not a legal way to read them for free.
>>
>>48558554
I usually don't mind one or 2 goofy endings
>>
>>48558554
Yeah, apparently the author has decided that Magnamund does not have a technological future.

Despite the fact that you get dumped onto a jungle moon with laser spears in one of the gamebooks.

But then, I think that's technically an alternate dimension?
>>
>>48558477

They gave lone wolf a love interest. And they made Paido, your sidekick in book 7/8 a tranny or some third gender tribal shit. Oh and Lone Wolf survived the massacre because some heavenly fairy intervened with fate. That's all I can remember.
>>
>>48559417
>They made Paido a transsexual

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
>>
>>48559417
The app is pretty cool
>>
File: Magnamund.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Magnamund.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48549848
>>48550161
>>48550607
>>48551562
Magnamund campaign GM here.

Project Aon provides a massive amount of material, and represents the work of talented and dedicated fans.

The world-map is huge and surprisingly accurate to the source material. You have a cogent timeline of events going back 15 million years, with substantial and frequent events spanning an 18,000 year period. Flora and fauna are briefly catalogued, as are many of the nations visited by heroes Lone Wolf and Grey Star.

As campaign worlds go, Magnamund is decent. You're not burdened by changes made to the lore to accommodate the politics of Dungeons and Dragons editions. You have, simply, a realm of treachery and intrigue as the backdrop to a traditional struggle of Light against a nearly overwhelming Darkness.

I took some time to compile significant elements of Project Aon together for my own use in a pdf, which I'll share with you here. I, eh, also welded the continent of Magnamund onto the world of Titan, from the Fighting Fantasy and Sorcery! novels of Steve Jackson. Heresy of the highest order, but I had an amazing time in the land of Kakhabad, and it felt like a good fit. I'm also working on a similar write-up for the ocean-planet of Mer, setting of the Pirates of Dark Water.

Enjoy.
>>
I remember those novels well. I have almost all of them and they still remind me of some of the best times of my otherwise shitty childhood.
>>
>>48558366

So who were the eternal Anglos of Magnamund? Inb4 Drakkarim.
>>
>>48557754
GOTTA GET THAT FIRESPHERE SON
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.