[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/l5rg/ Legend of the Five Rings General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 354
Thread images: 33

>Heroic samurai
>Spell-wielding shugenja
>Treacherous ninja
>The terrible wastes of the Shadowlands
>Welcome to the Emerald Empire!

Little Courtier Girls Edition

>Trove
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vx477quhxz4vt/Regend5Ling#btf4cvsidtj6ff

Last thread: Kolat didn't do anything wrong (or did they?), loyal Scorpion wives, crazy Rokugan reimaginings.
>>48475239

What was the last time one of your PCs totally crushed it at court?
>>
>>48542625
First for Fuck the Spider

In terms of court, probably the best thing I did was win a duel, but I was a Kakita bushi at the time. I'm not skilled at court.

Possible other question - Which best dual clan game is the best, assuming even balance and free reign over the rest of the campaign type?
>>
>>48542625
I told Doji-san that she was a basic bitch and then all the other courtiers did that "ooooooooh" thing with the hands and her pet duelist was too embarrassed to do anything about it.
>>
>>48543142
Dual clan game? Just 2 PCs or a whole party?
>>
>>48543285
As in the whole party can only contain characters from one of two clans. Great and minor, minor and minor, Great and Great, either combination works.
>>
>>48543335
In that case... Scorpion/Crab seems like a really fun combination. They have a common thread of pragmatism and practicality. Obviously they differ on honesty and sincerity, but it's Duty that unites them.
>>
>>48542625

I had a character that won the right to found a minor clan in a high stakes game of Go.

Well, he won a bunch of land in a game of Go. And then the loser's clan pulled some strings to get the clan founded, so they could claim it was a gift for the new clan instead of a lost bet.
>>
So what is /tg/'s favorite edition of L5R? I only actually have physical copies of 4th edition lineups and not even all of those only like 3 books because it never took off with my group.
>>
File: 1469848190599.png (559KB, 956x619px) Image search: [Google]
1469848190599.png
559KB, 956x619px
>>48543335
Crab/Phoenix, maybe. The Crab have this weird feeling towards the Phoenix where they think their pacifism is dumb but they respect their courage in stating it publicly. Plus, magic missiles never come out of fashion in the Shadowlands.
>>
>>48543529
My personal favorite is 4th. Many others here also like 4th. Some people like 1st. I've seen a tiny bit of support for 3rd, and nobody around here has much of anything to say about 2nd. D20 version can fuck right off.
>>
Where do I learn about governing as well as districts, provinces, and castle life in the empire? What is the scale of several villages and who controls them?
>>
>>48543568
Oh god the d20 version. I thought I had erased that from memory. I personally enjoy 4th but having never played any other edition it isn't very easily determined.
>>
>>48543364
I've played a Crab/Scorpion game and it was fun. A little Crane and Lion got thrown in though via NPCs
>>
>>48543772
Were the NPCs bullied?
>>
>>48543529
>>48543568
my favorite is 4th by far
first is like 4th but less balanced and more powerfull
second........they nerfed first ed HARD and everybody suck at everything forever
third ed, they WAY over corrected second ed, i call this edition: samurai super hero

4th ed is for me the best edition, it like first ed but...advanced and balanced as best they could

there is no d20 l5r, no, shut up
>>
>>48542625
it was a colony game in the ex ivory kingdoms

in the first summer court (winter court but for the colony) my scorpion ex-ronin kept whispering ideas of events to the master of ceremonies (right hand of the ivory champion in our game)
all the ideas worked wonderfully and i got good glory and a powerfull ally. shit was so koku
>>
File: kolat.jpg (63KB, 793x442px) Image search: [Google]
kolat.jpg
63KB, 793x442px
>kami directly responsible for tearing a hole to Jigokou though Ningen-Do, creating the shadowlands
>kami completely incapable of dealing with the shadowlands, rely on mortals
>kami come down to earth and establish a brutal, totalitarian caste-based system
>kami hold your soul ransom, forcing you to serve in their caste-based system and punishing you in the next life if you disobey
>kami honestly think they're the good guys
Why have you not joined the Kolat yet, anon? Will you die as a slave, or will you fight as a man?
>>
>>48545966
>believing the kami exist
Temae.
>>
File: winged jew.jpg (104KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
winged jew.jpg
104KB, 800x580px
>>48545997
Well, if the kami /don't/ exist, that probably means that the kenku were right, and if my old GM taught me anything, it's to never trust the Winged Jew.
>>
>>48545966
>Implying the Kami aren't beholden to the Celestial Dragon
You want to piss off the thing that commands all of the non-corrupt gods, the beings that run day to day life, every afterlife (Except the one where you become oni poop), and the Sun and Moon themselves?
>>
>>48546088
I hate that the new sun and moon got booted. The fuck was with that?
>>
>>48546088
>the Sun and Moon themselves
Why would I wish to dishonor Yakamo and Hitomi, who are the very embodiment of what it means to be human.

>>48546113
The fortunes are a bunch of hypocrites who are fine with Tengoku controlling the destiny of Ningen-Do, but lose their shit when its the other way around.
>>
>>48546179
If the Celestial Dragon told Yakamo to stop shining on your crops for the next few years, guess what? You get super dark stormclouds over your farmland for the next decade.
>>
>>48546179
Fuck that Kolat for life.
>>
File: marcus aurelius.jpg (128KB, 870x575px) Image search: [Google]
marcus aurelius.jpg
128KB, 870x575px
>>48546204
The Celestial Dragon sounds like a total cunt. Why the fuck would I worship that overgrown lizard?
>>
>>48546255
You don't. It's such a holier-than-thou cunt that it doesn't directly interact with ningen-do at all. There's a whole layer of celestial bureaucracy between it and everything else worth mentioning in the heavens, and then there's a whole layer of existence between that and ningen-do.
>>
>>48546330
A famous gaijin once said "No Fortunes or Emperors, only Man," and I can't agree more.

Tengoku has no right to rule Ningen-Do, nor does if offer Ningen-Do anything through its rulership; 'destiny belongs to the mortal man,' after-all.

If the Fortunes are gonna punish me eternally for daring to live free and do the right thing, then that's fine. I'm a stubborn Akodo bushi: I would suffer any punishment before I bent the knee to false and undeserving rulers.
>>
>>48546458
>I'm a stubborn Akodo bushi: I would suffer any punishment before I bent the knee to false and undeserving rulers.
You don't get to take pride in being an Akodo bushi and then decry everything Akodo stood for.
>>
>>48546596
>"Loyalty was not learned, neither was it inherited, it must be earned... Loyalty, unlike the others, must be given constant attention. A leader had to build loyalty in his men." - Akodo
But Anon, I haven't.
>>
>>48546684
Hantei earned Akodo's loyalty to such a degree that they can coast on it forevermore.
You are the odd one out who will probably be reincarnated as a goat, or dung beetle, or minor gaki.
>>
>>48546709
And I shall be the most honorable goat in the field; the cleanest dung beetle in the heap; the most stalwart of minor gaki.

The Celestial Dragon has done nothing to earn my loyalty, and all those who serve such a foolish creature have, in doing so, proven themselves to be unworthy of loyalty.

Any samurai would give his life for duty and honor. It takes a Kolat to give his soul to such noble devotions.
>>
>>48546778
There's nothing noble in what the Kolat does for its own benefit. It has accomplished nothing and helped nobody but itself. Even that whole thing with the War Against The Darkness was self-serving, because The Nothing winning means the Kolat get snuffed out along with everything else.
>>
>>48546849
And am I so ignoble and "self serving," when I have been willing to sacrifice anything for noble principles?

Fact of the matter is, the Kolat didn't fight in the War Against The Darkness to save their own skin, but in fact, for the exact opposite reason: they fought, even though they knew it would expose them, and that they would be destroyed by those they tried to save; the ones they had been fighting for this entire time.
>>
>>48546938
I doubt it, given that noble self sacrifice is not and has never been their thing.
They fought to save their own hides, and it was the only positive thing they've ever accomplished in the entire history of their existence.
Even when events unfolded that matched their goals, it wasn't actually them doing it. The Gozoku brought divine Imperial power to its knees while the Kolat just watched. Yakamo and Hitomi worked out the sun and moon problem and the Kolat were just as blindsided as everything else in existence.
You can't even say that a broken clock is right twice a day because they only did the right thing one time.
>>
>>48546993
They've been doing the right thing for one thousand years. The kami had no right to rule mortal men, especially since it was mortals who were the deciding factor in the War Against Fu Leng.
>>
>>48547126
They've been doing jack shit for one thousand years.
Literally the only thing they ever accomplished was handing out Crystal during the War against Darkness. That's it.
They've killed no fortunes, weakened no kami, empowered no mortal (Except among themselves in their own organization), affected no social change, and generally only brought down the quality of life for people through gratuitous blackmail, assassination, brainwashing, and economic warfare.
>>
>>48547307
You can't argue with the brainwashed so it is best just to cut him down.
>>
>>48547307
They've empowered mortals of their own organization (of whom they accept based on merit, no birth), grown steadly in power, stymied the actions of the enemy, prepared, planned, and managed to do quite with a strategy of 'death by a thousand cuts.'

Nothing wrong with playing the long game.

>>48547328
your side has enslaved the very souls of every mortal to ever live; you don't have the moral high-ground
>>
Renounce this defiled world and attain the Pure Land
>>
>>48547375
I at the least, am more free than you, a follower of those who are descended from a group made up of those that would burn the world over petty revenge against the winners and who most likely follow a perversion of Shinsei's teachings.
>>
>>48547375
They have done literally nothing. "Death by a thousand cuts" implies death. "A thousand impotent cuts followed by directly giving yourself away" is more appropriate. They can't even free the hinin. They can't even take down the shittiest of minor fortunes. The goddamn Fortune of Dung is more powerful than the entirety of the Kolat.
>>
>>48547375
>never harmed or affected the beings in Tengoku
>just killed and ruined the lives of their fellow mortals

Free the sheeple by killing them! It's the only way!
>>48547375
Must have missed the part where Mirumoto, Matsu, Kakita, and all the rest were enslaved instead of following the kami once they realized the way of the kami was objectively better than the constant tribal warfare.

Also the Kolat were never about defying the kami because it was the right thing to do; they were all a bunch of salty chieftains who were mad they weren't top dog anymore.
>>
>>48547451
I, at the least, am
Really need to reread these before posting.
>>
>>48547465
They should have just fucked off with the Yobanjin tribes. They didn't want to deal with the Kami and they seem to be doing just fine up North. Other than that War of Dark Fire thing, but hey, nobody has a perfect record.
>>
>>
>>48547511
Well that's as much the fault of the Phoenix as anyone else.
>>
>>48547451
>>48547465
>the Kolat were never about defying the kami because it was the right thing to do; they were all a bunch of salty chieftains who were mad they weren't top dog anymore
the kolat has been a lot more than angry warlords for the majority of its existence, just like rokugan has been a lot less than the divine, perfect empire of its inception.
>>
>>48545966
You know, all those bad thins can be traced back to a weak woman who couldn't slap his retarded husband when he went haywire, and the retarded daughter of those two who thought she was THE perfect special snowflake.

Really, the Kolat should be an anti-woman organization.

>>48546088
The Kami aren't beholden to the Celestial Dragon. That thing is barely a middle-man whose only job is to keep Ningen-do and Tengoku apart and act as a liaison between the two.

>>48547465
>Also the Kolat were never about defying the kami because it was the right thing to do; they were all a bunch of salty chieftains who were mad they weren't top dog anymore.

That's the Yobanjin. The Kolat was created by a bunch of philosophers and other big time thinkers.
>>
>>48542625
Courtiers actually carrying their Daisho in art?
That's unheard of!
>>
>>48543335
Scorpion and also Scorpion.
Or
Scorpion and Crab
>>
>>48549613
Count the swords dumbass. Also, check the length of what they do have.
>>
>>48549613
It's one blade, not two.
>>
Would there be a problem with a retired monk, who served previously as a shugenja, with him using his shugenja powers?
>>
>>48549903
Is the monk using their communion with the kami to do un-monk-like things?
>>
>>48549936
No, though I remember reading somewhere that monks aren't supposed to reveal too much about their lives before monkhood.
>>
>>48549967
They are *supposed* to leave their previous life behind when their head is shaved and they are given a new name.

More so in earlier editions, you may find examples of monks that just plain DGAF about following the expected monk guidelines. Some keep their daisho or wakizashi, others maintain clan ties (more common for retired Lion to hang around as advisors), etc.
>>
Do different clans have different sepekku customs? Like maybe the Mantis jump off their ships, or the Badger squish themselves with a large boulder.
>>
>>48550122
I don't think there's anything like that, though the idea of samurai crushing themselves with boulders sounds pretty rad. A proper seppuku's a pretty big deal though. I bet the crane invented it.
Though, as far as I remember, there are multiple ways of properly cutting your belly open. Maybe there's regional differences to it in rokugan.
Though if you are the GM as a player I wouldn't care too much if there were boulder seppukuing samurai around. Seppuku's supposed to be pretty hard to do though, so I would keep in mind it's purpose if I went coming up with drasticly different seppuku methods.
>>
Can someone point me to all material about etiquette while visiting another samurai.
>>
Considering the ammount of ritualisation surrounding rokugan's iaijutsu: If two samurai were, for example, sitting around and drinking, and they started to quarrel. Would you use kenjutsu or iaijutsu skill to quickly draw your sword and smite the other?
>>
>>48550590
Depends on the context. It'd probably be keyed off of Reflexes as you make it seem like the deciding factor is how quickly the samurai notices shit's about to go down and reflexively draw his sword. Kenjutsu as a skill is a pretty safe choice here, as it'd also decide how well you can draw from a seated position, navigate your sword around the table you're sitting behind and the objects on said table, and manage to hit the samurai at an angle you're normally not cutting from. If it'd be purely swiftness of drawing where these other factors play a secondary role, skill at Iaijutsu probably is more useful for striking first than general skill with a sword.

But then again, using Iaijutsu as a skill feels a lot more flavorful for these things, and could be a way to give players who invested heavily into Iaijutsu a small advantage next to their duelling niche.

Also, side remark, it's not because a skill is generally used in one very specific instance that it can't be useful outside of that instance. Duelling may be a formal affair, but being a skilled Iaijutsu duelist could potentially also pay off in other circumstances.
>>
File: Ivory-Art-1.jpg (860KB, 1800x1071px) Image search: [Google]
Ivory-Art-1.jpg
860KB, 1800x1071px
>>48543142
you called?
>>
>>48547461
>They have done literally nothing
1. They've survived, unlike all of the setting's major "villains."
2. Read some of the alt-history settings where Fu Leng wins, or some other terrible thing happens to the empire; the Kolat are always major players in these settings, because they've been lying in wait for the right time.
>>
Mirumoto Dufusu has just slapped your waifu's ass and asked what you're going to do about it. You're unarmed, but fortunately you know one of Rokugan's secret martial arts! How do you respond? Keep in mind that Dufusu is armed with his daisho and is not afraid to use it!
>>
>>48552039
Spread rumors of his impropriety and of his inability to restrain himself. Do it in a way that you cannot be called out for slandering him.
>>
>>48552039
I tell him that dank memes are the true path to enlightenment and watch him as he ruins his life shitposting in the mountains.
>>
What's proper etiquette if you are visiting a stranger on some super official bussiness?
>>
>>48552111
Ideally with a letter beforehand, but acceptable to just show up, you introduce yourself and then say you have super official business. Then if you trust them not to murderstab you, you give your daisho to the servant staff and then you talk about your business.
>>
FRO8 character registration begins in 6 hours. Hype!
>>
>>48550590
Iaijutus is what I'd use for that, given that it's literally the skill for drawing a sword fast.
Kenjutsu does have a Mastery ability for drawing a katana, but Iaijutsu has a better version of the ability at a lower Mastery rank, and has less uses overall.
>>
>>48554406
There's also some fluff about yojimbo and guards (Seppun in particular) who practice Iaijutsu not to actually duel with it, but to be able to draw their swords faster in emergencies, so there's fluff support for it being the "draw faster than the next guy" skill.
>>
>>48554442
As early as 1E, the rules stated that you wasted the first round drawing your weapon unless you used Iaijutsu to draw and strike with your sword, so it always had an use even if you weren't a dedicated duelist.
>>
>>48554597
Well, 4e sure doesn't have a rule like that. And if it does, where?
I like the rule though.
>>
>>48553575
What is that? Just give me the gist of it?
>>
>>48554616
4e says that medium and large weapons require a simple action to draw unless you've got a Technique or Skill Mastery that says otherwise.
Iaijutsu rank 3 says otherwise for Katanas. Kenjutsu rank 5 says otherwise for all swords. Polearms, Spears, and Staves rank 7 say otherwise for, their respective weapons.
>>
The crab dignitaries are eating all your food. What do you do!
>>
>>48556315
Distract them by asking to see a draw lot play.
>>
>>48556315
Appreciate their honest enjoyment of the feast prepared by your Shosuro friend's personal chef and staff. Have they noticed the special spice? It's quite a shocker!
>>
>>48556315
Let them. I'm not so poor that a bunch of locusts could cause me difficulty, and so full that they'/re sleepy dignitaries are a powerful asset - they'll agree to anything.
>>
>>48556315
I specifically ordered my kitchen staff to prepare an entire vat of deep fried dumplings for just this reason.
In the event that there's any left afterwards, we cart it out to the castle village and let the peasants take it home.
>>
>>48556315
Jest at them that they are so poorly fed on the Wall that they have to come to my castle and eat all my food.
>>
>>48557782
Pray that they're offended enough to start a fight then. Otherwise, you might conceivably get an invitation to the Wall, see how well a Crab eats.
>>
>>48554626
It's a pbp l5r 4e game, where the GMs have made duelling more complicated, removed or altered a bunch of schools and paths for various reasons (some good, some not so good), and otherwise messed with the system. AFAIK, they didn't touch weapon stats.
>>
>>48553575
>>48554626
>>48558298
http://five-rings-online.com/
>>
Does Permanent Wound mean that your Healthy rank is always full, or does it mean that Nicked is always full and you go straight to Grazed after healthy is knocked away?
>>
>>48559265
It means healthy is always full.
>>
>>48556315
bring out the drink, and pray to the fortunes that they took to it just as enthusiastically.
>>
>>48560563
But did you remember ordering shochu? Sake won't even faze them.
>>
>>48562025
Of course not: I want them to be pliable, not vomiting on my new shoes.
>>
File: oriental_fantasy7.jpg (261KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
oriental_fantasy7.jpg
261KB, 1366x768px
>>
>tfw the buyout killed your FLGS

L5R was their biggest seller, even over Magic

It was a samurai fucking wonderland and now it's gone.
>>
>>48565038
Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>48565073
Tucson. Well, I did at the time.

Hat's game of choice was L5R, and he pushed that shit hardcore. Ran every Imperial Gift, every event, would drive folks to Kotei just to make sure local players got to try their decks at the big events. Magic and 40k were big sellers too of course but he was all in on L5R, and his wife ran the tabletop.

The shop was always in that FLGS 'hanging on by a thread' state even when it was doing well, and the buyout meant no new product or events.
>>
>>48552039
It's a duel! Tomorrow, at sunset. We will strike when the last rays of Amaterasu's light disappear, and see who will be consumed by the darkness forever.

Also, my secret martial art is the Thousand Katas of Steel. So either Mirumoto Dufusu has a masterful B plan or his life ends tomorrow.

>>48556315
Ask them why they are eating so much. If they have food shortage in their lands then I should assemble a few carts of foodsupplies the can take when they leave.

Otherwise, all I should do is wish them good health. That food goes to the best place it can go.
>>
>>48553575
Worth applying, /tg/? Previous experience with l5r online felt horribly clique-y and never quite became fun. Wondering if this one will feel similar.
>>
>>48549735
>>48549738
Implying that L5R doesn't refer to a non-bushi's wakizashi as their daisho
Well I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it's written in the books. I know that's not the historical/real world meaning of the word.

Let me rephrase myself to appease these sad pedants:
Courtiers carrying their wakizashis in art? That's unheard of!
>>
>>48552039
I grapple him. Enjoy being pulped between my giant Crab pecs.
>>
>>48565967
Join with a friend or two and make your own fun.
You get as much out of these things as you put in, it's different from a smaller, personal game.
>>
>>48567183
Anyone want to be my friend to make our own fun?
>>
>>48567707
What timezone?
>>
>>48567746
>>48567707
Have anything in mind? I'd like to see /l5rg/ take over a clan. Not expecting it, but still.
>>
>>48567865
Scorpion and Crab are maxed already, Unicorn are struggling for players.
Same as every FRO.
>>
>>48567865
>>48567746
Eh, I'd be tempted to go full Scorpion. Could go Crab though because dorf, or Lion for maximum honor. Never seen a good play by post though.
>>
>>48567888
It's not pbp, it's a chat app.
>>
>>48567888
Oh, then I'll check it out if some anon here decides what clan we'll take over as 4chan only.
>>
>>48567746
>>48567865
>>48567888
CET here, and taking over a clan sounds pretty rad. I'm open to anything really, though I've been itching to play a Mirumoto for a while now. Honorabru Lion or even Unicorn sounds good as well.
>>
Mantis clan any fun? I imagine they get into crazy stuff with their story of basically being mortals who proved themselves hot shit.
>>
>>48567978
I say we go full minor clan, or Mantis. Rock the piracy/naval thing and have our own ship.
>>
>>48567987
Yoritomo in the canon is godking Rokugani Jesus, the fictions fight over who gets to fellate his awesomeness the most. His family completely dominate the Mantis clan to the extent that the other families are just kinda there (Moshi suffer the most from this, though the Tsuruchi and Kitsune aren't far behind.)
>>
>>48568021
>Our own ship
I'm in. /l5rg/ will rule the waves.
>>
>>48567978
>>48568021
another CET here, interested in joining, but unsure as to how it works

mind giving a quick rundown of how it's played, what to expect, how much of a time sink it might be?
>>
>>48565038
AEG killed L5R in my store long before L5R died...
>>
>>48568028
I understand why this happened (faction consolidation in the CCG) but the Mantis eating up all those cool clans bothers me more than it should. The Three-Man Alliance is much more interesting to me than Yoritomo and Generic Pals.
>>
>>48545966
>Why have you not joined the Kolat yet, anon?

Kolat don't exist in my campaigns. Its terrible metaplot that ruined one of my favorite clans, and is responsible for stupid writing.

The only writer who ever did cool things with the Kolat was Stolze
>>
>>48565101
thats a sad story. Its been deadzo in my area forever, the morning of the announcement I had just finished a singles order for my kotei.
>>
>>48568021
You guys should go unicorn and fuck the island gaijin.
>>
File: mon_256 (9).png (42KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
mon_256 (9).png
42KB, 256x256px
>>48547432

THE TRUE PURE LAND
>>
>>48568754
>The only writer who ever did cool things with the Kolat was Stolze
And he was deliberately misinformed about the Kolat's real identity.
>>
What's so bad about kolat?
>>
>>48568865

Its a giant slice of "doesn't belong in a game about samurai"

Take a beautiful ukiyo-e painting, then dab it with frenchs mustard, and call it modern art.

Its basically athiest communist bolshevik ISIS
Thats the Kolat. It doesn't belong there.
>>
>>48568881
>Its a giant slice of "doesn't belong in a game about samurai"

You now successfully described something like 60% of the L5R canon.
>>
>>48568924

Yep, which is why my L5R campaign\meta is so much of a departure from canon L5R

And its why the Kolat aren't in it.
>>
>>48568085
The link was posted above, but as far as I'm able to discern, it's going to be Rokugan on a faraway island, played using a houseruled version of the l5r 4e RPG, and will be played mainly on a chat platform, using a dice roller script on the site itself, with forum support. As for time investment, I imagine it largely depends on how much you're willing to invest to get what you want from the game, but I'd think you can expect being active at least once a week on average or so.
>>
>>48569091
thanks, guess i'll have to look into it a bit more myself.

kinda feel like playing a sparrow with paragon (compassion) and essentially there to help the peasants and be a filibuster-for-hire for whoever needs it

use my free time during the week to prepare stories on this and that, most of them just rambling on and on, maybe even leading into one another

("In my dojo, my sensei told a story of a man who learned a precious lesson in a story told by his uncle, where he imparted wisdom upon his son after he failed telling a story of one of our clan's greatest storytellers as he wrote a great story. Which story would you like to hear first?")
>>
>>48569497
im part of the crab delegation and we would love for you to exist.
>>
>>48569517
actually, to be honest, i'd probably end up doing the same as when i DM my d&d campaign and pull 90% out of my ass on the spot, while making it look like it's mostly planned

would make it easier for me to adjust to the situation at hand

although, if someone could reference me some eastern storytelling guides or compendiums so i might get some practice first would be much appreciated
>>
>>48568021
>>48567928
Shall we get a discord or something going to prepare the /l5rg/ happy sailor jew Mantis delegation, since that seems to be what we settled on?
>>
>>48569497
Reminds me, I want to play a ronin that basically sells himself as a "lawyer" for rich merchants and the like. Using his position and knowledge of law he represents his "vassals" before the authorities and help them secure licenses and trade deals.
>>
Reading hakagure is the best thing to do while preparing for an l5r game.
>>
>>48569931
Set it up anon.
>>
>>48569931
I'll play a ship captain/navigator with a Gentry advantage to represent the ship.
>>
>>48575263
Lets say we need a skill monkey captain, a courtier to do negotiations and money, a shujenga for the storms and helping hide while raiding, and a hard as fuck pirate bushi.
>>
>>48576002
What exactly is this all for? some kind of l5r online RP?
>>
>>48576111
It's for that Five Rings Online thing, scroll up.
>>
>>48576440
OK then, let me rephrase my question: what's Five Rings Online? The only thing google is giving me are a bunch of broken links.
>>
>>48576513
http://five-rings-online.com/

>>48569091
>it's going to be Rokugan on a faraway island, played using a houseruled version of the l5r 4e RPG, and will be played mainly on a chat platform, using a dice roller script on the site itself, with forum support.
>>
>>48575263
>I'll play a ship captain/navigator with a Gentry advantage to represent the ship.
You should check the lists of banned dis/advantages before getting merry.
>>
>>48576002
I'm willing to make a courtier for the sake of honor and negotiations, but its always fun to play a hard as fuck pirate bushi too. We have a discord set up for our own private /tg/ communications on what we're up to?
>>
>>48576557
>>48576513
Basically we're taking over the Mantis clan there and going full happy merchant on this game via piracy and CAPITALISM
>>
>>48577084
with only 4 spots left until the soft cap is reached for mantis, you had better hope there are a lot of people willing the be unicorn
>>
>>48577084
I'm gonna be honest, I'm intriuged.

Do I need any particular experience with online roleplaying, or is knowing L5R stuff enough?
>>
>>48577252
Not really, just down load the book, read up the intro stuff while you make your character.

>>48577061
Not yet, I dont know how. If you can, do it.
>>
>>48577581
https://discord.gg/dcJyr
Should work.
>>
>>48577061
I'll play a Yoritomo Shugenja for some favorable winds and therefore favorable merchanting.

>>48577581
Book? Do you mean the setting of FRO8, or something else?
>>
>>48577846
No the corebook with rules.
>>
Someone help w/ FRO8?

I have a forum account registered, a concept, a sheet, and 20 questions answered ... what the heck do I do with it now?
>>
>>48578467
you submit it following the instructions on the wiki and forums to the character sheets forum for sanctioning by the GMs.

you will also need a wiki page with public info about your character to link to. Make sure you have a background that explains everything you are talking about in your 20 questions, or disadvantages or advantages.
>>
>>48578547
different anon, but is this the forum?

http://five-rings-online.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67
>>
>>48578573
>http://five-rings-online.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67
yes
>>
For the FRO8 thing, what 'sphere' are we all gonna take?
>>
>>48578547
Ok. Well, after that I think I've picked up the stuff I was missing before.
>>
Are Shugenja celibate, or can they marry?
>>
>>48579957
Most Shugenja are samurai first, priest second (Which is a conflict of loyalty that can hit them pretty hard in some rare situations), so they do marry. The elemental Kami tend to frown on those who are overly worldly, so it's usually better for shuggies to keep it toned down and not fret over wealth or luxury, but it's not a hard code of conduct.
One thing to note is that most shugenja stay within their clan's shugenja family and try to arrange marriages so that shugenja outside of their family will join it. Keeping the shuggie blood strong is thought to be helpful in making sure the next generation is more magically attuned. Whether that's actually true or not is up in the air.
>>
I think the best plan would be have two clans under /tg/ control, since there are hard caps on player pop.
>>
http://www.spookyelectriconline.com/L5R-OnyxDawn-LoRes.pdf

I dont know if any of you care but apparently the last few planned fictions for the CCG before it being sold to FFG were released, showcasing the battles of the three seals and Daigotsu Kanpeki's march for the throne.

Scorpion pull their sneaky shit as usual.
Mantis go down swinging.
The Dragon echo back to their roots.

Its pretty good honestly...
>>
>>48580045
>Whether that's actually true or not is up in the air
It's sorta true. The kami aren't exactly tuned to what mortality means, and generally expect that the latest person that looks like Shinjo Sally from ten centuries back actually is Shinjo Sally - and they're willing to help get other kami to pay attention to Shinjo Sally.

Exactly what makes them think you're Shinjo Sally varies, but not altering your clothing style, doing the same activities, using the same etiquette ... generally all the stuff that would make for a very traditional samurai will help. And Shinjo Sally's descendants have that shit cornered like nobody's business.
>>
Yoritomo Jagatai as captain mad dosh the happy merchant. Anyone else in yet?
>>
>>48580401
The unicorn are empty. Fill up them with /tg/ and have two clans working together to dominate.
>>
Holy shit this place is full of weebs and glomps and shit. We got to destroy them.
>>
>>48582018
...How does one glomp over the internet? Are we talking about asterisk emoting glomps?
>>
>>48582018
Like, literally *glomps u* kinda shit?
Go full honorabru. This is not acceptable behavior, even for the uncouth Crab or despicable Scorpion.
>>
>>48582151
It might be acceptable for young Unicorn kids. Like 8-13 year olds.
>>
>>48582173
Usually younger, iirc. 7 is when you start actual training for a school.
>>
>>48582532
Listen, if any clan gets to glomp their sempai in the hopes that he notices them, it's the dirty gaijin barbarian clan. And even then, only when they're young enough to not be approaching gempukku.
>>
>>48582558
I hear they even hold hands.
>>
>>48582151
If you go full honorabru then you are not only allowed but straight-out supposed to glomp your sempai. Not doing it is a violation of Courage (what? are you afraid to do it?), Honesty (you ain't being true to your sempai), and Sincerity (you hide something from others, you sneaky bastard). You are also violating Honor for not being true to yourself.
>>
>>48573892

I used to own a copy. Anyone who wants to play a Lion, I tell them to read that, and watch "Last Samurai"

Much of Tsunetomo's ideals are perfect for Matsu
>>
>>48582722
But if you glomp your sempai, you're committing a major breach of etiquette and breaking your composure, which is embarrassing and considered a sign of weakness.
>>
File: WaspClanMon.jpg (124KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
WaspClanMon.jpg
124KB, 1500x1500px
>>48582722
>>48582794
Bushido is a lie. Code of the Wasp is the true way to live your life.
>>
>>48582794
>committing a major breach of etiquette

No truly honorable samurai would ever care. Etiquette is nothing in the face of Bushido.

>breaking your composure

Why should a truly honorable samurai care? He does whatever he wants. He can't shrink from showing his emotions, because that would be a violation of Bushido.

>embarrassing and considered a sign of weakness

Anyone who even tries to imply that this is the case would only embarrass themselves with their lack of honor and proper understanding of Bushido. In the end, they can all go and fuck themselves (the honorable samurai in question might even tell them this openly to avoid inappropriate and dishonorable behavior).
>>
One of the best things about L5R\7th Sea crossover...

Die Kreuzritter Samurai hunting down Bloodspeakers
>>
>>48582828
One who ignores etiquette in a society of twitchy warriors is a fool. The very founders of Bushido pushed this view, which is why etiquette is actually one of the seven core principals of bushido itself, listed as Courtesy. Etiquette is what separates noble heroes from dirty scum.
>>
>>48582867
>One who ignores etiquette in a society of twitchy warriors is a fool.

Why should a honorable samurai care about those twitchy warriors? If they are honorable, then they will do nothing. If they start going crazy then they are dishonorable and thus what they do or think simply doesn't matter.

>The very founders of Bushido pushed this view

Akodo was the only founder of the Bushido, and he gave zero fucks about etiquette (so much the Leadership doesn't even mention it). What Doji and Genji did is a different story altogether.

>etiquette is actually one of the seven core principals of bushido itself, listed as Courtesy

Courtesy =/= etiquette. Courtesy is about respect and humility, and not hollow theatrics. In fact, if you stick to etiquette you might violate Courtesy by wasting time and thus being disrespectful to others' time tables.

What separates noble heroes from dirty scum is not empty social conventions but their Honor. Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably a person who truly believes that all snowflakes are special.
>>
>>48582828
>>48582867
Nah, mate. You've been suckered into Shourido, hook, line, and sinker.

Might even be a dirty Spider supai.
>>
File: Jester.jpg (28KB, 262x358px) Image search: [Google]
Jester.jpg
28KB, 262x358px
>>48583295
>supai
Why was this allowed?
>>
>>48582086
>>48582151
>>48582558

Mantis is full as fuck, lets go Unicorn. Or bonus points for having people in the Unicorn and Mantis to control both clans and go full conspiracy.
>>
Anyone out there manage to download the spoiled Blackest Storm set before the pics got yanked?
>>
>>48584507
They didn't want to put 'ninja' as a keyword on some cards, and couldn't come up with anything else.
>>
Anyone ever send their players into the Shadowlands?

What was that like? Did they survive?
>>
File: 1459266718359.jpg (58KB, 553x936px) Image search: [Google]
1459266718359.jpg
58KB, 553x936px
Looks like Mantis is going to be full up. Instead I suggest we go Unicorn and go full exploration or culture. Culture is the economic sphere so we can sell them on these exotic, foreign brands, while we'd be naturally good at exploring and working with gaijin
>>
>>48585705
Crane, Phoenix, Unicorn, and Monk are lacking applicants right now.
>>
>>48543142
>First for Fuck the Spider

Being this butthurt about Spider winning L5R.
They cancelled the game we got good cards.

No matter hoe much you sperg out, Spider will always be the winner of Original L5R and you can be sure FFG will keep them in the ne iteration of Legend of Daigotsu, the one and true husbando (no homo though).
>>
>>48585053
Been in the shadowlands a few of times as a player. My shugenja got through it the first time without injury and thereafter became a staunch support of the Crab. He later went back to the shadowlands a couple of times, by which time he'd gotten one of the Dragon's crow tattoos which ended with him being the party 'tank' in the fight against the lost antagonist of the last mod there. Yay for having 6 Air and ranks of Defence. Literally can't touch me and my 87 TN.

Had a Kaui go into the Shadowlands once as well. She got backstabbed by an evil plant boobytrap and got tainted from the wound. That was the start of her path to Shourido. And now she's a disciple of Kokujin.
>>
>>48585900
Could go Crane Unicorn alliance for mad dosh.
>>
>>48585900
How the fuck is special_snowflake.clan missing applicants? This is bananas.
>>
>>48586987
Spider and Scorpion are full, brah.
>>
>>48587091
Well, there is no spider.
>>
>>48586987
Who the crane? Why not make one?
>>
>>48587150
Foiled by reality! No great loss though.
>>
>>48587150
Scorpion aren't full, either. It's like >>48587091 is just making shit up.
>>
>>48585705
I already made my Mantis Rabbi Shugenja character. What do?
>>
>>48588897
Did you get admitted yet?
>>
>>48589287
I'm still in the queue.
>>
>>48585900
>>48586965
>>48587242
>>48585705
So it seems Unicorn are the plan B, they can be as greedy jews as the Mantis so it's a pretty good alternative.

To anyone who wants a ride on the purple "we'll feel right home here" gaijin train, discord is currently up at -->
https://discord.gg/dcJyr.

Pop over so we can properly coordinate our characters and take control of the delegation for koku and geisha.
>>
>>48589374
As someone vaguely interested in playing a Unicorn but who never got a chance, what are all you folk talking about?
>>
>>48590833
We're taking over an big online game. Apparently this is the 8th time they've run it, each one being successful. So we're going to infiltrate at least one clan and go full jew.
>>
>>48590867
>taking over

Please don't be a goober and ruin this for the rest of us.
>>
>>48590867
>a big online game
Oh. I've never managed to have fun with MUDs and the like.
>>
>>48591073
It's not a MUD, it's as
>>48576557
said. A chat/forum game we're going to participate in with a few blokes from /l5rg/ for profit, playing Unicorn. If the game turns out to be less than stellar, we can still make our own fun, but best case our l5r fix is statisfied and it turns out to be great fun. Take a look around the site and drop by our discord if you still happen to be interested!
>>
>>48591052
Currently we've the full four players, so you shouldn't be too concerned. And hey, we're just l5r geeks too, some plotting behind the screens is okay, but working to sabotage or derail the game would be stupid of us, as we want to be a part of it ourselves.
>>
>>48591915
whatever you say. just dont go full kolat.
>>
>>48591971
kolat are banned
unfortunately
>>
cash money unicorns
>>
Jesus fuck where are you people?
>>
File: l5r1esheet.jpg (47KB, 593x323px) Image search: [Google]
l5r1esheet.jpg
47KB, 593x323px
Making a super no-frills compact sheet for one-shots and the like. Am I missing anything of note?
>>
>>48591915
Shit, I'd be down to join you guys if I didn't live on the other side of the world.
>>
>>48595943
Seems pretty full. You're missing Family, but for all intents and purposes, it's not important.
>>
>>48596102
Well, their full name should clue people in to that.
>>
Can I get a link to the discord?
>>
>>48596843
Red the thread
>>
>>48596867
The link expired because discord has timed invites.
>>
>>48596885
I got you fampai
https://discord.gg/B9CRb
>>
File: Gimu1.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Gimu1.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
>>
The former-AEG story team put out a pdf with a condensed ending of the Ivory story arc along with some of the stories that were posted after the sale.

http://www.spookyelectriconline.com/L5R-OnyxDawn-LoRes.pdf
>>
>>48591691
We have a Discord? Have a link?
>>
>>48599830
How awesomely do the Spider win everything?
>>
>>48599925
Here you go, senpai.
https://discordapp.com/channels/209853419878481921/209853419878481921
>>
>>48599929
>read it for me, so I can be buttmad without letting details get in the way
No thanks, mate.
>>
I was just curious, but I suppose I could have been less of a hater about it.

Instead, could you tell me what you thought of it? If you were still following the story, did it provide a satisfying conclusion to you?
>>
>>48599938
Link just leads me to Discord, do you have a join link for the channel?

Also, someone fill me in on all this about L5R online. So, it's basically a massive forum game for L5R? And we're all going Unicorn clan? When do applications start? Where are the rules for chargen? Is it too late to hop in with a Moto bushi?
>>
>>48600011
Sorry, I prolly fucked it up. Let me see if I can do a proper invite this time.

https://discord.gg/KRQyH
>>
>>48600023
There we go, now it works. Thanks anon.
>>
>>48599967
I used to play Dragon.
Honestly, after numerous disagreements with the way their story was advanced, I stopped seriously following the official story. (body-hopping Togashi, Heaven's Net, Mirumoto Hirohisa being killed by winning selection in a tournament, Hoshi/Togashi Orders somehow swapping their practical/heavy spiritual outlooks, Three Orders forced to rejoin, Hitomi Kagetora denying re-tattooing to die in obscurity but then doing it anyway to go out in a burst of DBZ, etc etc)

>did it provide a satisfying conclusion to you?
The opportunity for a satisfying conclusion left the station long ago.
>>
>>48599941
>Expecting people to read literal garbage.
Yeah, nah.
>>
>>48600770
They aren't that super-duper bad. The one about the Unicorn and the Phoenix is almost enjoyable.
>>
>>48602341
>Phoenix Clan Champion dies so that Nitoshi can be another Jing Ke

Yeah, no.
>>
The one with the Susumu playwright was sad. Fuck you, tantrum boy.
>>
>>48599929

Here is the basic summary of info these fictions give for people not paying attention after the Destroyer war,

Since the war against Kali ma the Spider were sent to the colonies to conquer it. Destroying the remnants of an entire nation gave Spider an insane amount of corpses and between the dying people of the Ivory Kingdoms and the constant warring happening throughout the colonies by the clans the Spider built the largest undead army seen in hundreds of years and hid it away in the jungles.

At the end of the war with the destroyers the Empress saw two futures for the empire, either the Daigotsu Family find a home in the empire and become true rokugani, or Kanpeki rises up and conquers rokugan. Knowing this she sent the Spider to conquer the colonies to prune out the clan's most evil aspects while allowing the purer side of the clan the chance to adapt and assimilate. The other reason was that the colonies were a back up, a place to flee to should Kanpeki turn on the empire as with Daigotsu, lord of Jigoku, backing him Kanpeki could never be stopped by mortal men. Kanpeki was born with a blood prophecy stating his rise to power after all.

She places her eldest son Seiken on the throne and he immediately drops the ball by trying to dethrone Kanpeki as clan champion for his younger brother Shiabatsu. This breaks the deal with the Empress and Daigotsu and shit hits the fan.

Before the Kami fell and man walked the earth the 5 great races performed a ritual to seal the influences of Jigoku away from the world, in turn pushing away the heavens and causing these struggles in the first place, this ritual was held by the 3 Seals. Apparently in the ancient war against Fu Leng this was his goal, to break the seals and flood the world in Jigoku's power. After the war Togashi and a few others who knew of the seals decided to destroy all records and knowledge and let the secret truly be forgotten forever.
>>
Fast forward to the end of the Destroyer war and Daigotsu, now sitting in Fu-Leng's position as lord of Jigoku learned of these seals and taught Kanpeki of their existence. One was in the Shinomen forest, one in Cold Wave City and the last was beneath the Mantis Isles.

When Kanpeki turned on the empire, which was already weakened from infighting over issues with Phoenix vs Unicorn, Lion vs Scorpion, and Crane vs mantis, his undead armies moved quickly, breaking the first and second seals in quick succession. This allowed Kanpeki to summon greater and greater hoards of oni from the pits, with the Scorpion wall being breached and flooding the country side with oni and undead. The Susumu family and the Order of the Spider turn from Kanpeki and side with the empire, they are replaced by the Chuda and the Kokujin order in the Spider's ranks.

Bayushi Nitoshi, clan champion of the scorpion devises a plan and kills the champions of the Crane and Phoenix, offering their heads to Kanpeki to earn his trust. He then uses said trust to manipulate the siege of Toshi Rambo to allow Seiken and his family to escape to the colonies and fights Kanpeki in the throne room, dying in his defiance.

To buy Rokugan the time needed to evacuate to the colonies Seiken orders the Mantis to launch an all out, and suicidal, assault on the sea of shadows to draw the hoards away from fleeing ships. The Yoritomo go along with this and their fleet engages the oni army, led by the now awakened Giant Sea Spider and the vast majority of the Yoritomo family die in that last stand. The Mantis clan is broken for decades to come but the Emperor escapes to the colonies.

Kanpeki claims rokugan and the colonies become the "empire in exile". The last scene is decades later with a young girl finding Yoritomo's Kama and rumors of an aged and sickly Seiken organizing a muster of the clans to retake their homeland and assault the Obsidian empire.
>>
>>48586382

I recently sent a player into the Shadowlands, however he had every opportunity not to, but really really wanted to marry Ryosei, so he of course decided to go with her.

In a change to canon, the player in question had an ancestor who was a bloodspeaker serial killer stuck in limbo because his family had forsaken him (for good reason), and couldn't get reincarnated because of that - so, he haunted the PC, and finally promised him a cool fucking sword that was locked in an old ruin - this of course is the Fox Ancestral Sword - and after praying for his ancestor (thereby releasing him from purgatory, or whatever that realm is called) he got access to the ruin, and went indiana jones'ing into a bloodspeaker temple from a thousand years ago - met Ryosei in the process (the young, spunky 16 year old Ryosei), they survive, she gets the sword, gives it to her old man, he reveals a black scroll, turns into Walking Horror of Fu Leng, etc etc etc.

She decides to go into the Shadowlands after him - not later in life when shes got all this experience and confidence and abilities - no, right now, when shes basically a rank 1 adventurer. PC decides to go with her.

After 5 five days heading south, two out of three of their volunteer Hiruma scouts are dead (one to buy time against a Lost Moto patrol, and the other fighting a massive 20+ foot tall ogre covered in dead samurai as "body armor"), they are out of food, nearly out of water, and being hunted by the Lost Moto. Exhausted from running all day, going on little sleep.

Eventually, they end up being chased (or driven) to a massive lake of boiling blood, from which in the center is the Iron Citadel (the new shadowlands club for cool people, courtesy of Yogo Junzo and the 2nd Black Scroll).

By this time, their jade has run out. Hahaha, the PC thought a shadowlands jaunt was going to be easy - of course, he had never played L5R before.
>>
>>48602605
>>48602634
Bullshit, bullshit, garbage, and bullshit.

God I'm glad someone got the IP away from AEG. This is just unacceptable levels of bullshit, it's no wonder they were hemorrhaging players.

I really hope FFG retcons and just completely scraps all this garbage.
>>
>>48602634
I appreciate your efforts, anon. Thank you.

>The last scene is decades later with a young girl finding Yoritomo's Kama
陶器

TN: 陶器 means pottery.
>>
File: tumblr_m81dwaKEvs1r0c1kwo1_1280.jpg (535KB, 643x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m81dwaKEvs1r0c1kwo1_1280.jpg
535KB, 643x1920px
>>48602912

Am I the only one who wants FFG to start over from the before Coup and make an entirely new canon\metaplot?
>>
>>48603004
Definitely not. I'd fucking love that. Unfortunately, I really doubt it will happen.
>>
>>48603004
Apparently not; the guy you replied to wants the same thing. All FFG's press info leans towards continuing the storyline, though.
>>
File: 1441155160705.jpg (58KB, 287x400px) Image search: [Google]
1441155160705.jpg
58KB, 287x400px
>>48603065
>continuing the storyline

gross

Welp, time for the Obsidian Empire then
>>
File: Hiruma_Shigeo.jpg (119KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Hiruma_Shigeo.jpg
119KB, 800x533px
>>48602605
Are these guys all dead then?
>>
>>48603141
AEG suckered me in with all the work they did right before selling L5R. It looked pretty good.
>>
The dumbest part of the whole thing is that the deal between Iweko and Daigotsu was actually made null immediately by Daigotsu lying about removing the Taint. He just hid it, like so many players predicted. What should have happened is that they make the deal, then a Phoenix, Dragon, or Crab notice that it's a complete lie and then the Spider get squished.
>>
>>48603230
>Spider get squished.

AEG loves the Spider and Daigotsu

funny, in my clan war campaign currently, Daigotsu wont ever have the option to become fu lengs fan club sempai
>>
>>48602912
What makes this bullshit? The original day of thunders was just as nonsensical and bad as this. Hell this sounds even more plausible then Ichuban or the destroyers by far as at least this shit was developed, poorly... but still, over a few years of build up.
>>
>>48603065
>continuing the storyline

Dropped. Sorry FFG, ya blew it.

I might consider coming back if they resolve the storyline in a way that fixes the stupidity.
>>
>>48603317

Its bullshit because its basically "spider win everything ever"

And the Spider were always a bad idea
>>
>>48603317

The Day of Thunders at least had everyone involved in the blackmail end up dead as a result of the blackmail.

They won a victory for their decedents, not for themselves. The spider started winning and never stopped.
>>
>>48603230
No, the deal was kept by Daigotsu and the empress, it wasn't Daigotsu's actions that broke the deal, it was only Iweko Seiken. The scene basically plays out with Seiken trying to strip Kanpeki of his rank, Kanpeki warns that doing so would break the deal and there would be consequences but Seiken didn't give a shit. Nothing would have happened and the Spider would have been tamed in the long run if Seiken just let Kanpeki be as Clan champion, Daigotsu would have just left things be.

The real dumbest part was the idea that the minute that Daigotsu ascended to Lord of Jigoku he won, completely, and Iweko knew it. If she fought him after Kali Ma the empire was too weak to survive two festering pits and endless oni. If she accepted Kanpeki as Spider Clan champion then she was only delaying the inevitable when Kanpeki turns and kills the shit out of them.

The truth was that Rokugan lost the destroyer war, it just took a few years for AEG to admit it.

>>48603186
Surprisingly no, they were not at the major battles in the heart of Rokugan and I think are still defending their wall from a hoard sent by Daigotsu to hold their armies down.
>>
>>48603317
>The original day of thunders was just as nonsensical and bad as this.
Yeah, no. Not even remotely close.

Original DoT was a stereotypical party bands together to fight BBEG, uninspired and unoriginal. This Obsidian empire bullshit is all "Spider win everything forever because everyone is stupid, and there's nothing anyone can do about it" mixed with an unwanted and disgustingly large amount of "let's do a lot of shit no one wanted to completely undo the status quo like no one asked for and call it a 'prize'" and then acting all indignant when even the fucking Spider players were dropping the game.
>>
>>48603345
I could see a Spider-like clan being created as a polite dumping ground for tainted samurai. Their public reason for existing is to safeguard the people who produce jadepetal tea, and they do perform that function under the close watch of some kind of Imperial oversight, but mostly the clan exists so that when your loyal retainer gets tainted, instead of killing himself or retiring from useful service, he can be married into or adopted by another clan where he won't be an embarrassment and can still be of some service to the Empire. Like a kind of spiritual leper colony assigned to bodyguard their doctors.
>>
>>48603470
The Crab already have that. They're called "the damned." Any samurai from any clan can become one.
>>
>>48603470

Thats an idea, but its just a distortion of what already existed in the metaplot since the beginning.

There already was a spider clan, it just wasn't called that. If you read both Bearers of Jade and the BotS, it talks about this. Fu Leng doesn't give a shit about Oni, goblins, ogres, whatever (notably considering powerful Oni have their own agendas). What he really wants is Samurai to join him - people like Moto Tsume. He yearns to be the same as his brothers and sisters, but in his own evil way. And as such, there were hordes of dark samurai who served Fu Leng, from the Lost Moto, to all the tainted Samurai who gave in to their taint. The whole idea of Akutsukai is basically "Samurai in service to Fu Leng" while Akutenshi is "Champion in service to Fu Leng"

AEG must have decided that that wasn't obvious enough, and embarked on this whole Spider idea, which I still don't understand. Daigotsu wanted to, what, move out of the fields and work in the house with the rest of the house niggers?
>>
>>48603517
I was always under the impression the Damned was a Crab-only thing, and also mostly used for people whose taint isn't really manageable any more.

It's also a lot more brutal and, well, crab-like than I picture a lot people would want to be. There isn't even a thin veneer of polite fiction about what goes there, you're just thrown head-first into the meatgrinder with no hope of survival. It's less "Your life can still be useful despite your affliction" and more "Taint is no excuse not to die in combat". They WANT you to bite it fighting an oni, and I have a hard time picturing some clans being on board with that-- that's why people do actually retire to a life of drinking medicinal tea, after all.
>>
>>48603572
I remember at the time, they partly justified it by saying it was too hard to always write potential prizes for the Shadowlands Horde and that by making a Spider Clan it would be easier for them. Seems like a load of shit given everything that happened.

>>48603622
I think they allow minorly tainted individuals to continue about their normal life and duties. Get a little more, and you start getting restrictions placed on you(no marriage, a Kuni starts visiting more often, etc.). If your taint can't be controlled/maintained past this level is when you end up either committing seppuku, which *is* allowed, or you go to the Damned.
>>
File: 1414209483147.jpg (194KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1414209483147.jpg
194KB, 1500x1500px
>>48603517
>>48603622

This actualy goes against 1st Edition Lore. It specifically stated that Crab do not allow tainted to fight anymore, and that seppukku is expected of them. The reason why is obvious - if your going to end up going over to Fu Leng, they can't risk you hanging about until you turn. Its like someone zombie bitten.

Some samurai become monks and drink jade petal tea for the rest of their lives, but Crabs have never been into spirituality really.

The Damned is more something the Lion would do
>>
Remember, it's not strictly illegal to be tainted, but it is illegal to hide it, and you obviously can't use it as an excuse to get out of trouble if you do blasphemous things.
>>
>>48603758
If you're at the level of taint where it's low-key enough you might not even know you're tainted, and your taint is subsequently discovered, how likely are people to believe that you actually didn't know, and were not just trying to hide it?
>>
>>48603717
The Crab's Damned units aren't exactly free to do whatever they want. They're restricted to their barracks along the Wall and have Kuni handlers who are empowered to execute any of them for any reason. If the taint starts getting the better of them, they die, from seppuku or execution. If that doesn't happen to them, they die fighting the Shadowlands.
>>
>>48603805
The lowest level of taint is actually undetectable and has no real effects on you.
If you're slightly worse than that level, you might legitimately not know it yet, so whether people believe you depends on the circumstances and how sincere you are. If people are dying to monsters and everyone's paranoid and scared, you might just be shit out of luck.
>>
>>48603805
I'd say it entirely depends on who discovers it and the circumstances of the discovery, followed by the rank and position of the tainted individual. You'd probably have a much better chance of convincing a Witch Hunter you're innocent than a bunch of Lion or Crane that probably know next to nothing other than taint = you're an evil, willing worshiper of Lord Fubu.
>>
>>48603816
There's also some interesting fluff in the 4e Great Clans book about how the Damned unit was founded: some tainted Hida troops finally killed the Maw, dying in the process, and their overlord decided they were useful after all and founded the Damned. The Kuni daimyo committed sepukku in protest, but his successors eventually decided having troops that were even more expendable than usual wasn't a terrible idea and got on board as the unit's handlers.
>>
>>48603805
At that level it's still extremely difficult to detect, so it's highly unlikely. You won't get any kind of reaction even from jade for having only a few points, really by the time you would notice you're tainted is the same level where it starts becoming detectable.
>>
>>48602605
>>48602634
That's fucking retarded.

>>48603065
And that's even worse.
>>
>>48603900
What's with all these dubs tonight?

Anyway, even that depends on how the taint manifests, if you got really lucky it could be some combination of bad breath, ashy skin, mucousy stuff, etc.
>>
>>48603345
>>48603390
>Spider lose the at the Temple of Fu Leng
>Spider lose vs Ichuban
>Spider lose in the race for the throne
>Spider Get win with everyone against Kali Ma
>Spider lose in war against the lion in Emperor
>Spider get BTFO twice by the Dragon during the age of expansion
>Spider lose the Brother's Conflict
>Spider finally wins in Onyx
>"Spider always wins lmaoxxx"

The worst kind of unknowledgeable plebs

>>48603460
You realize that Onyx was the START of a story arc right? That Spider ruled for a generation and then the story becomes a revitalization of Bushido and rebellion against BBEG. Nowhere close to the "Spider win everything" nonsense? Hell even when clans were choosing their paths for the story it was clear that no matter which path the Spider take they were going to be fucked hard in the end, either they became nothing but the original hordes, became a loyal great clan but lost everything cool about them flavor wise or they became completely lost samurai hated by both the shadowlands and rokugan, basically just destroyed.
>>
File: youshouldkillyourself.gif (994KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
youshouldkillyourself.gif
994KB, 500x280px
>>48604273
>>
>>48604273
>spider win all the wars but lose the battles
>"see, the spider lose. it's just that they lose the unimportant things."
No, anon. You are the plebian.
>>
>>48604385
>>48604392
>Butt hurt oldguard detected
>>
File: Can't Wake Up.png (430KB, 365x487px) Image search: [Google]
Can't Wake Up.png
430KB, 365x487px
I'm planning on starting a L5R game after my current campaign finishes. Wait for the FFG tabletop to drop, or go with 4th edition now?

I'm a bit worried we'll end up with the core character concepts spread over three different books, like they did with their Star Wars line.
>>
>>48604549
The FFG rpg isn't even going to be discussed until 2017. It probably won't drop until 2018.
>>
>>48604459
>ad hominem detected

>>48604549
4th edition now
>>
>>48604392
I literally named 3 different wars Spider lost... how stupid can you be?

Hell in the war with the lion the Spider won the major battles but still lost.

>"Th-Those aren't important! Only the thing I like matter"
Pleb work at best
>>
>>48604273
Every Spider "loss" only resulted in them getting better or more powerful, netting them positive results regardless.

The "Spider win everything" complaint isn't about them literally winning, it's about how they never actually lose anything by losing and only ever gain from their losses. It's the worst kind of blatant favoritism and was a huge put off for many CCG players towards the end. Even other Spider players, who, you clearly don't seem to realize judging from your post, were divided into two camps of former Horde players and "pure spider" supporters who AEG were both actively working against and subsequently driving away from game. NO ONE wanted Onyx, not even the Spider players. NO ONE. But AEG pushed it anyway because they had to.

FFG honestly saved L5R because with the way things were going, causing the community to shrink so rapidly, it wouldn't have lasted much longer. No player groups were satisfied with their story prizes, some 'prizes' even just being "pick how bad your clan gets fucked," and everyone was tired of it.

tl;dr You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>48604549
>I'm a bit worried we'll end up with the core character concepts spread over three different books, like they did with their Star Wars line.
Edge of the Emerald Magistrates, Age of Courtiers and Witch Hunters and Destiny, calling it now.
>>
>>48604589
>>48604969
I'm just waiting for them to announce dropping the R&K system entirely for some bullshit wannabe half-board game with specialty dice.
>>
>>48604998
I'm not really married to the R&K system, but I don't see FFG really letting go of it. At the same time, I expect funky dice.
>>
>>48605038
I straight up will not play a L5R game with their stupid novelty dice. The math on those retarded dice were fucked up, did you know that it was sometimes mathematically better to roll the green die rather than the yellow? The success/advantage system is fucking awful.
>>
>>48605089
Mang have you seen R&K probability curves? Tighter math isn't going to be a plus for it.
>>
>>48605151
R&K is at least linear. Adding more dice or upgrading dice is always good. Those stupid starwars dice could punish you for upgrading greens to yellows.
>>
>>48605151
I don't see anything wrong with R&K's probability curves.
Adding an extra rolled die increases your average by roughly 2 and adding an extra kept die increases it by roughly 6. The extreme high end is a little wonky (9k9 to 10k9 is an increase of almost 4, while 10k9 to 10k10 is an increase of only 1.5), but otherwise it holds true that three rolled dice are about equal to one kept die, which is a perfectly acceptable ratio.
>>
>>48604924
>were divided into two camps of former Horde players and "pure spider"
>Implying there was any real push for pure spider

the "pure spider" were barely a quarter of the Spider fans, they were the cancer that was killing the faction right as they were about to fix the Spider's flaws and make them actually evil samurai. They only got half the attention they did because of the last wintercourt which had their "pure" spider players lavishing praise on the Story Team and then trying to rewrite the motive of the villain to make their OC good guy characters work in a setting where the clan went the exact opposite direction of the characters they played. Fuck them. I'm glad the real Spider clan went back to hordes, things were finally getting good again. They never had a chance in hell of being able to take control of the clan and would be forgotten once Onyx actually began and the hordes players returned. "Oh look, 100 samurai didn't join the thousands that Kanpeki led into the darkness, look how speshial we are! We are the REAL spider clan!" They basically just wanted to be the scorpion, but without the shit that mattered, like real character.
>>
>>48605480
>They basically just wanted to be the scorpion
This was always the Spider's big issue as a clan. The Scorpion already had the position of shady assholes with murky motives and dark alliances that did questionable shit for the good of the Empire. The Spider were more self-serving and with spikes instead of masks, but the niche wasn't big enough for two clans.
>>
>>48605480
>implying the horde players were ever going to return.

That ship has sailed, the wannabe horde spider were just a pisspoor knockoff of the proper horde faction.
>>
>>48604969
This shit is what kept me out of getting into that system. Want to play a party with the composition of A New Hope? I hope you enjoy BUYING THREE $60 BOOKS YOU ENTITLED WHORE.
>>
>>48605594
That is why the Onyx plot, even with the whole "ruling the empire " thing, was going to be fantastic as it finally gave the concept of spider clan players really wanted back to them, evil samurai wielding the power of Jigoku fully. Not the "hiding the evil to blend in" Spider, or the "Not allowed to use our badass powers" Spider, the REAL clan of evil as fuck samurai. Would have been amazing for sure...
>>
>>48605665
More like -5x initiative where x is equal to the number of rounds that have passed, assuming you use your technique more than once.
>>
>>48605687
But instead, it feels like they're recycling the Thousand Years of Darkness through the backdoor.
>>
>>48605687
You've seen how every plot since the Clan War has unfolded, right?

There's no way Onyx would have been good even if you liked the premise. AEG pathologically cannot make the storyline not suck ass.
>>
>>48605772
I can't blame em'. The Thousand Years of Edge setting was pretty darn popular back then, wasn't it?
>>
>>48605955
I thought it was fapping to Kyle Reese--- er, Daidoji Uji.
>>
>>48604998
oh fuck, please no.
>>
>>48605687
Speaking of Onyx... did anyone save the leaked card designs before they were taken down?
>>
>>48607822
http://imperialassembly.com/news.php

Would these be it?
>>
>>48605594
>the niche wasn't big enough for two clans
I quite liked it back in 3e, where each niche seemed contested by two clans. Fuck having a clear best. Mirumoto v Kakita being the prime example that they messed up in 4e.
>>
>>48610037
Nah. He means the leaked stuff that was taken down before anyone could decide whether legal action was appropriate.
>>
>>48611067
But even if you had Mirumoto vs Kakita for top duelist school, both Dragon and Crane had very distinct and unique identities. Spider come across as "Scorpion but eviler," which also dilutes the Scorpion identity.
>>
>>48611163
>Spider come across as "Scorpion but eviler"
Sorta ... but that's pretty superficial. You could say that about most of the clans and Spider.
>>
File: Shahai.jpg (890KB, 1800x1196px) Image search: [Google]
Shahai.jpg
890KB, 1800x1196px
>>48612445

Every clan runs the spectrum because its made up of individuals.

Scorpion worship the god of evil, are led by a hantei who was turned evil by bloodspeakers, and is full of samurai who are tainted and worship the god of evil.

"Scorpion but eviler" doesn't cut it. Spider are evil. The only difference between the Spider and folks like Moto Tsume and the other Akutenshi, is that the Spider tell everyone they have honor (which is bullshit).

Nah man. Spider doesn't compare to the other clans.
>>
>>48612555
I'm talking about comparing family themes, traits (setting, not mechanics), and the like. You're talking shit coloured by your dislike of the Spider. Doesn't work as a conversation if we can't talk on the same level.
>>
File: 1469829081804.gif (123KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1469829081804.gif
123KB, 480x270px
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399840-Winter-court-4-of-L5R

Is it true that L5R's official play-by-post was corrupt and biased even in real life?
>>
>>48612445
>>48612555

>Sorta ... but that's pretty superficial. You could say that about most of the clans and Spider

Your post does not contain anything on that. Your post is "Eh, not really, because that applies to everyone." And my response was "No, it doesn't, because the other clans don't actively worship the god of evil."

If you want to claim any higher ideals in your post, thats cool, but make sure you actually write a paragraph if you want someone to respond to your deep topics.
>>
>>48612762
I've heard accusations to that effect since like the early to mid-2000s (when I started paying attention to L5R) but never anything concrete.
>>
>>48612762
Yeah, all the bitching wasn't just butthurt losers making shit up. WC4 wasn't the only one where it happened, either.
>>
>>48612762
Not as much the actual event, they did changed the result of winter court to Shiabatsu's victory.

But the big thing was that durring that year they had the two brothers, Shiabatsu and Seiken facing off for the throne, with clans supporting both sides.

The Shiabatsu's (the spider raised heir) clans destroyed that year. Unicorn, Mantis, and Crane dominated the ccg, won the majority of the major events, and Shiabatsu won winter court.

Did they give Shiabatsu the throne? Hell no, they litterally made up a fake scoring metric that involved Kotei players voting on heirs, but explained the way the voting works AFTER the kotei season was over and players had made their votes already, and it CONVENIANTLY made Seiken win on that vote, which they decided to weigh higher then everything else that happened that year.

WHY? Because they wrote the story in such a way that Shiabatsu would never betray the Spider and cause Onyx edition... they literally could not have him win so they forced the other heir and let him take the fall.

That year was utter bullshit top to bottom and 90% of what was supposed to be important from wintercourt was completely useless.
>>
>>48612762
You might as well say the forums were corrupt and baised, too. The whole place was a giant shit-show. It had been for years. It was Reddit years before Reddit got super popular.
>>
>>48613084
Huh? What does the CCG have to do with the play-by-post?
>>
Redpill me on Onyx Edition, /tg/.

Did it actually happen or not?
>>
File: Sekigaharascreen.jpg (5MB, 3816x1796px) Image search: [Google]
Sekigaharascreen.jpg
5MB, 3816x1796px
Making a list of relevant traits for clans for some L5R specific miniature battle rule changes I'm making. I'm trying to keep this strictly battle relevant, duels, skirmishes, court intrigue and other factors like that will happen using normal rules.

Crab: Battle-hardened by Shadowlands, Top tier heavy shock troops (Armored bushi and Berserkers), Great at Sieges and Logistics (Kaiu), Good scouts and recon (Hiruma), Higher proportion of armored troops

Crane:
Elite Heavy Infantry (Daidoji Iron Warriors)
Elite Scouts (Daidoji Scouts)

Dragon
Higher proportion of monks
Good in mountainous terrain

Lion:
Highly trained for mass battle
More specialist tacticians
Top-tier shock troops (Matsu Berserkers)

Mantis:
Unparalleled on the sea (Yoritomo)
Elite archers (Tsuruchi)

Phoenix:
Increased integration of shugenja in battle, more shugenja

Scorpion:
Unparalleled scouts and recon (Shosuro, general dickery)

Spider: Won’t exist

Unicorn :Much higher proportion of cavalry, Unparalleled heavy cavalry (Utaku, better warhorses), Unparalleled normal cavalry, horse archers, etc., Cavalry cavalry cavalry.

Did I miss anything in the fluff?
>>
>>48613565
Seems pretty spot on from here.
>>
>>48613565
>tfw dragon suck at war
>>
>>48613565
Not really missed, but the Crab's top tier logistics is mostly the Yasuki with a bit of support from the Kaiu.
>>
>>48613646
tfw dragon rock at sieges.
>>
>>48613697
But they don't?
The Kaiu and to a much lesser extent, the Akodo rock at sieges. Everyone else just kinda mehs at sieges.
>>
File: Terrible Dragon Clan Mon.png (234KB, 491x656px) Image search: [Google]
Terrible Dragon Clan Mon.png
234KB, 491x656px
>>48613697
Source on that? Given that they're also going to be starting on really poor land and don't really have a knack for court politics either, I'd like to toss them a bone for the game, but I'd like to back it up with something.
>>
>>48613757
>>48613760
Did he mean withstanding sieges? Cause I could probably see that even though they did get their shit kicked in during the War of Dark Fire.
>>
>>48613757
>>48613760
they're living in fortress-monestaries on the top of mountains: who's gonna besiege them and win?
>>
>>48613782
I did mean withstanding sieges, yes. Sorry if that wasn't entirely clear.
>>
>>48613787
That's not really being good at sieges. It's true that it would be difficult to actually get a siege to them thanks to their location, but if you could get catapults into position, they're no better at siege fighting than anyone else in particular.
>>
>>48613565
The Dragon also have a strong tradition of battle shugenja, with the Tamori being perhaps the most militant school of shugenja in the Empire. I think in the War and Fan book they were said to be the clan that integrates all types of warriors (monks, bushi, shugenja) the most, but I'm not sure on that.
>>
>>48613816
Eh, I'd probably give it to them before anyone else. As for
>but if you could get catapults into position
that's a lot easier said that done. In addition to the terrain itself, you have specialty infantry, skirmishers, and archers skilled at mountainous fighting, the Tamori yamabushi that specialize in earth spells, and all manner of crazy monk bullshit to be dealt with.

I think Dragon castles would probably be better prepared to withstand a siege than just about any place other than Kyuden Hida(and even it got bullshitted out by the story team for Drama!) just due to the regular preparations they have to make to withstand the location and elements.
The army on the other side of the walls are going to be even worse off.
>>
>>48613498
They had a decent idea for a new storyline, but in the process of setting up the idea they pissed everyone off to the point they lost 90% of their player base, which made it very easy for FFG to convince the AEG CEO to sell them the IP.
>>
The Dragon aren't that good at sieges. Despite living on volcanic soil, most of their crops are in the difficult to defend lowlands. They are good at not starving (mountain tuna, etc), but it's still an obvious and exploitable weakness. Other clans are just shit at assaulting mountains with no beaten paths.
>>
>>48614009
Was Onyx REALLY why they lost 90% of the player base?
>>
>>48614025
Maybe of the current player base at that time, but people had been leaving for years before that.
>>
>>48614010
>They are good at not starving
Debatable. The first thing the Dragon do when a crisis hits them is starve to death. It's their clan's second most popular pastime after making dumb riddles.
>>
>>48614025
Pretty much everything from the Destroyer war on killed L5R.
>>
>>48614025
Doubtful. They were screwing it up before that. Heck, when I got into the CCG the more grognardy players were already muttering into their beards and saying things about how the storyline draws people in and later turns them off. That was Diamond edition.
>>
>>48614051
No other clan has discovered mountain tuna. Even if it bears remarkable similarity to Moto cuisine.
>>
>>48614051
I always thought that was a bit of an asspull from the story teams to force action and political participation from the Dragons cause otherwise they can just sit back in their mountains with little threat of reprisal.

I can't recall anything from earlier on in the game or lore about it, at least, though I could definitely be wrong.
>>
File: 1468884787564.png (1MB, 1080x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1468884787564.png
1MB, 1080x1200px
>>48614043
>>48614055
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/220069-winter-court-5-ask-the-gms-anything-answers/

Aren't FFG's GMs for Winter Court 5 continuing Onyx Edition anyway?
>>
File: mon_minors.png (136KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
mon_minors.png
136KB, 400x400px
>>48613565
Minor clans!
Obviously the big issue for all of them will be numbers and resources. They will mostly be showing up as allies or antagonists throwing their entire force against the PC’s in a single battle, that is if the Emperor’s prohibition against war with them isn’t still holding.

Badger: Great Shock Troops (Ichiro stronk)

Boar: Great Spears

Sparrow: Cursed by fate and purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Monkey: Higher proportion of ronin (buddies from days of Toturi’s army), excellent officers

Dragonfly: No significant military presence

Hare: Good skirmishers, fast movements (Usagi fast)

Monkey: Higher proportion of ronin (buddies from days of Toturi’s army), excellent officers.

Tortoise: No significant military presence on land, have boats.

Ox: Good heavy cavalry, cavalry in general.

Fox: No significant military presence, good in forests.
>>
>>48614135
>Sparrow: Cursed by fate and purposely trained wrong as a joke.

Revised Suzume Bushi when?
>>
>>48614129
It appears that way.
I, personally, want nothing to do with any of that.

>Our expectations of the Spider Clan during Winter Court 5 are that the Spider Clan players will give both other players and the staff wonderful and amazing samurai drama to remember for times to come. Whether that spells doom or glory for the Spider Clan, none but their players during Court will decide that.

>We also have a very special surprise in store for them.

They seem pretty committed to keeping Spider together with the rest of the clans.

Also,
>The Harriers are back
Kek
>>
>>48614129
That's an unofficial game, not run by FFG.
>>
>>48614009
Apparently AEG's raking it in with tabletop stuff like Smash Up and multiple re-skins of Love Letter now.
>>
>>48614314
I don't think I've ever seen any of the other stuff they currently own. At least not any of the game stores I've been to recently.
>>
>>48614270
Even if it's unofficial, the problem with it, is these faggots are later going to try to wave it in FFG's face and try to force results on them.

FFG is free to tell them to fuck off, but then they all go to their hugboxes and cry that the company doesn't care about the brand and its fans and history, and they start drama and bad press.
>>
>>48614135
>Minor clans!
>Fox
Ha, Ha! Time for keks.

Fuck I hate the Mantis post MCA.
>>
>>48614451
Yeah, I hope not. I'd rather not have the Spider exist at all.
>>
>>48614135
>Monkey so OP they get listed twice
>>
>>48614135
>Sparrow: Cursed by fate and purposely trained wrong as a joke.
Hahaa.... hah. ;_;
>>
File: toku_bushi.jpg (103KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
toku_bushi.jpg
103KB, 600x900px
>>48614504
Copy-paste error, but by all accounts they do seem to be the strongest minor clan in existence, both with their rules (Toku Bushi best Bushi), their history (optimistic and honorable ass-kickers from humble beginnings) and their holdings (nice former scorpion lands with a kick-ass fort).

If my players end up wanting to go minor-clans, then an alliance between them led by the Monkey seems like the only way they could avoid getting eaten up in the massive clan-war to follow.
>>
>>48614552
Replace their rank 3 with Suzume Storytellers, and remember that while they run on lowering initiative, there are ways to increase initiative.
>>
>>48614451
Even if they don't, from what I hear, WC5 is being GM'd by "problem players" from WC4. It's why I know there are people who actually like Onyx and Rokugan as-it-is that are steering clear of WC5.
>>
>>48615051
>WC5 is being GM'd by "problem players" from WC4

Is that so bad when WC4 had literally corrupt GMs?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399840-Winter-court-4-of-L5R
>>
>>48615121
No, probably not, but it's the reason a lot of them are giving for wanting nothing to do with 5 despite enjoying 4 (and in some cases, 2 and 3).
>>
>>48615051
I thought it was just being run by the Spider guys from WC4.
>>
>>48615196
Maybe some of them were the "problem players" I was told about? The Spider delegation does have a history of having at least one asshole player in the mix.

I don't actually know specifics, because the people I talked to had NDAs that kept them from divulging details. NDAs that apparently still apply, even after the buy-out.
>>
>>48571624
You mean the Mantis and Tortoise?
I kid, I kid.
That's a cool idea that I want to steal.
>>
>>48615121
I knew that the Crab AGM (Clashed with him a couple times) was skeezy but didn't realize that things were that bad,,,

>>48615266
Sounds like your source is very biased. The "problem players" were primarily those who ran afoul the the Crab AGM/New Storyteam member. He was pretty much doing a bunch of stuff to help the Crab/Scorpion win the WC.
>>
>>48613787
The Kaiu.
> Nice mountain. Shame if something...happened to it.
>>
>>48613565
Crane
Elite Duelists
Elite Courtiers

Dragon
Militant Shugenja
Infantry stronger than normal against combat shugenja

Lion
Actual Lions.

Mantis
Combat tricks, dirty fighting, dunno how you'd apply that
Giant Sea Serpents

Phoenix
No maho we promise

Scorpion
Deception magic
Poisoning/Assassinations
Tactical/Strategic misinformation

Unicorn
I got nothing.
>>
>>48616912
I thought the actual lions were more for psychological use than anything? I'm sure they're effective, but I'd rather fight them than the Lion's Pride or Deathseekers.
>>
>>48616912
>Phoenix
>No maho we promise
Sure, we believe you.
>>
which book had the 4e shosuro actor school?
>>
>>48617165
Great Clans, I believe.
>>
>>48617175
arigatou, anon-sensei
Thread posts: 354
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.