[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Environment Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 353
Thread images: 27

File: 1340072255885.png (1MB, 900x562px) Image search: [Google]
1340072255885.png
1MB, 900x562px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Ye Olde Thread
>>48516302

So which is it, /5eg/: realistic fantasy, or over-the-top fantastical fantasy?
>>
File: necropolitan.jpg (54KB, 400x652px) Image search: [Google]
necropolitan.jpg
54KB, 400x652px
How would I go about converting the necropolitan template to 5e?
>>
>>48530880
Which is what, OP?
>>
>>48530941
All it dead back then is make people have the undead type. That means a lot less now, so just literally do that. Being undead doesn't come with a laundry list of innate immunities and shit anymore so I don't think it even really needs an LA or the like. Just straight up "you are undead"
>>
>>48530941
Well, first you got to figure out if you want to keep the template aspect of it or if you just want the "sapient, not neccessarily evil, non-parasitic free-willed undead" angle.

If you want to keep the template angle, easiest way is reskinning the Revenant from the Gothic Heroes UA.

If it's just the concept of the race, that's a little harder. Need some time to think that over.
>>
>>48531005
I recall a lot of healing spells that pointedly ignore undead targets
>>
>>48531022
back then inflict and cure were basically opposites, the way living/undead would be. now theres no real way to "heal" undead as easy, so you're right, he would have to change a bit more
>>
Anyone with experience running Curse of Strahd around to give advice?

Would Rictavio (Van Richten) allow innocents to die if Strahd attacked somewhere, to avoid his identity being unmasked?
I ask because in the game I'm running my party left Ireena at the Church of St Andral in Vallaki (even though I had the priest and Ismark tell them it would not be a permanent solution), and now while they're out doing shit Strahd is going to attack the Church at the same time Fiona Wachter's cult attempts a coup.

Basically I'm wondering if Rudolph van Richten would unmask himself to attempt to aid the populace and the party against Strahd, or if he would flee to his tower to continue planning?

The book mentions that he flees to his tower if he suspects he is discovered, but that seems to be more like if the players or the wereravens suspect him, rather than his hand being forced.
>>
>>48531143
Van Richten gave up his humanity long ago. He's a "to make an omelette you've got to crack a few eggs" kind of guy. So: no. He wouldn't expose himself for that.
>>
>>48531143
This anon's >>48531214 statement is a gross exaggeration, but he is correct.
Though not a callous man Van Richten is EXTREMELY careful, and though the loss of innocents would bother him he's definitely in this game with Strahd for a long haul. He might attack Strahd or ambush him if he could see he was vulnerable while Strahd attempted to capture Ireema, but he wouldn't just leap in to save her; he knows that unless he's fairly sure he can weaken or kill Strahd it doesn't matter HOW many people he saves in the short run because Strahd will just ruin more lives eventually because he's freakin' immortal. Actually, if Van Richten could draw the connecton between Strahd and Ireena (something he couldn't possibly know about at least at the adventure's beginning) he might even be willing to use her as bait to ambush him.
>>
What's the PDF filesize limit here?
>>
Rate my new cantrips:

Rock spear , evocation cantrip, range 60 ft

Creates a stone stone spear that deals 1d10 piercing damage to a target within range.
You create additional spears as your character level goes up and can target multiple creatures with it.
(2 spears at lvl 5, 3 at lvl 10 and 4 at lvl 15)

Water veil , conjuration cantrip , range self/touch

Conjure up a watery veil around your body or the body of a creature you touch.
While under the effect of this spell have advantage on saving throws against fire based attacks but gain disadvantage against lightning based attacks.
>>
Ok, so here's where I've found issues(actual mechanical issues and not personal and mentals issues like that DW troll has) with 5e, and my potential fixes for them:

> The encounter formula doesn't work.
It's approximately accurate up until 5th level, but after that you start to find that players are stronger than the table would suggest. It's so laughable that EVEN THE ADVENTURE MODULES DON'T USE IT. Also, it's far too complicated to make accessible to the DM for on the fly combat. The most readily available and usable fix I have found is available here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?367697-Encounter-difficulty-how-to-fix-it

> Giving out Magic items as a whole
Their issue lies within the inherent fact that they're designed to be completely optional for players in 5e and there's no writtten method to take them into account when building encounters. This in turn means that there's no way to account for how to give them out other than to play it by ear. Using the above system for Encounter Building, I've worked in a method of taking Magic items into account. Quite simply, you apply a level modifier to the Player before converting it to PEL, raising it according to the item's rarity as shown:

Common - 0
Uncommon - 1/4
Rare - 1/2
Very Rare - 1
Legendary - 2
Artifact - 3

Overall this makes encounters a hell of a lot easier to throw together, and makes it so the DM doesn't have to be too careful about giving out items. This overall, means that high-magic settings like Eberron are much easier to play to faithfully without making into a complex broken mess like 3.5 was
>>
>>48531410
eldritch blast/10
both are missing shit anyway. duration, concentration, how they hit. water veil seems just as specific (and useless) as blade ward depending on what you add
>>
>>48531410
What's the duration of Water Veil? This could be broken if it doesn't have a duration of something like until the beginning/end of the Caster's next turn. Any longer than that(even a minute) and you'd have a cantrip you could spam indefinitely against Fire attacks. Also, as written there's no limit on how many people you can cast it on. Entire party has fire resistance? Yes please sir, I can abuse that.
>>
>>48531369
>>48531214
Alright, cool. That helps.

Thanks family.
>>
>>48531410
Rock Spear is just Eldritch Blast but without all the extra shit that makes Eldritch Blast good.

Water Veil is either useless or too strong to be a Cantrip depending on additional details (how long does it last? is it concentration? etc)
>>
So thinking of DMing CoS for a few friends.

I'm considering having Strahd send out Vampire Spawn to attack the party while they are still a low lvl like 4 or under. Basically he will just send out one vampire for each party member, the party obviously would be overwhelmed with no chance of winning. Idea will be the vampires all knock them down but do not kill them, it's then Strahd will reveal himself clapping and laughing as he thanks the adventurers for the entertainment. He then leaves stating how he expects more in the coming weeks then turns into mist.

Think this would be fun or just dickish on the DM's part? Mostly I think he would just give a clear indication of Strahds character to the party early on.
>>
>>48531410
>evocation
>rocks
That doesn't sound right. I'd make it conjuration. Maybe add a bit about working on targets otherwise immune to magic.
>>
My is party of 5 level 5s is about to stumble into the lair of an adult black dragon. They're supposed to try and sneak through to find something powerful on the other side. but I'm afraid they might try to fight it. Should I make it a young black instead so they actually have a chance of victory?
>>
>>48531601
Make it a badly wounded adult, lower it's hp.
>>
>>48531589
Too direct desu, just cartoonishly evil
>>
>>48531601
Depends anon. I find some times the party needs to learn they can't beat everything. Either you keep him but paint a better picture stating it would be retarded to fight it or you just nerf him enough that the party could take it but not without getting hurt first. But 5 lvl5s should be able to take out a young dragon with ease if they are not stupid enough to stand together for his breath.
>>
>>48531589
When they're out travelling after the first village, it is VERY likely they'd have Ireena with them.. So Strahd would be tempted to take her.

What you could do is have Strahd approach them on the road and attempt to woo Ireena. She'll obviously reject his advances, and the party will probably tell him to fuck off. He'll act wounded and leave, but with a sly grin on his face because the party has now piqued his interest.
That night while camping, perhaps the party are attacked by a pack of wolves or a bunch of bat swarms. Just enough to make them sweat but nothing that would realistically result in a TPK. After the party defeats them, have them hear an evil laugh, and the sound of a bat flying away.

Also, consider having him be around 1 or 2 times before that, but not interact with the party.
For example, when they're in the first village of Barovia, after they clear out the Death House, have Strahd's carriage roll through town (maybe leaving the Burgomasters after his latest succ adventure with Ireena?), and have them see him (they would recognise him as the man from the statue in the shrine of the cult quarters in the Death House).

It's a good way to spook them.
>>
>>48531617
Yeah, that does sound pretty Cartoonish. I really enjoyed the way my DM played him. Strahd never even recognized our prescience unless we fought close to him where he would then watch on being entertained by it all. Outside of that he literally ignored us at every moment until our bard rolled a high persuasion attempt and got an invitation to his castle.
>>
How do you deal with a player that doesn't really seem to give a shit about keeping their character alive because they know they can just re-roll anyway, outside of telling them they can't re-roll and kicking them from the game?
>>
>>48531589
This anon >>48531617 has it.
It's up to you as GM of course, but Strahd is a bit more subtle then that, at least usually. Generally if he's nearby he'll get personally involved (guy was a warrior-king remember), take a few hits and deal out a few himself, and then retreat.
He might send out Spawn like you said, but if he does it he won't let them do the JRPG boss thing where they loose and he lets them live until later; instead he'll send the spawn after them with maybe some werewolves or other backup with the spawn having full orders to try and kill them, leaving them JUST able to defeat the spawn. If the spawn wins and they die then clearly they weren't worth his time and nothing is really lost on his part.
He LOVES to work through proxies (what with Barovia being filled with an effectively infinite number of them), but when the confrontation matters enough to him he'll get personally involved. He should always sort of fight the party half-distractedly unless they've REALLY pissed him off; he's not really there to kill them, he's there to do something else and they just happen to be there.

If you really need something to help them figure out Strahd's character, run Death House and have them find the letter Strahd wrote to the owners; it can be summed up as "everything here is your own fault and while I appreciate you worshiping me and all, I don't really plan on saving you from your problems. Besides, it's a lot funnier watching you writhe in your personal pit of misery."
>>
>>48531634
I actually like that a lot more. I think I might change how Strahd goes after Ireena. Like in the beginning chapters if Strahd sees her out of the village I think I will just have him curious with the party while still keeping an eye on Ireena to make sure she doesn't die (or try to escape him.) But as time goes on his urge to take her will grow more and more. What's stopping me from doing this is I do not want the party to be spied on 24/7 because he would totally have the Sun Sword taken away from the party if they got their hands on it.
>>
>>48531648
One of the things I did was I personally played Strahd as my own character as GM, one I had to discipline myself enough to NOT try and kill the party with, instead focusing on his personality and objectives that he had.
Instead I needed to keep in mind Strahd's goals and objectives at all times, and ESPECIALLY remember where he was and what he was doing at any given time.
I never had him randomly teleport across Barovia just because I needed him to, and instead I would have him shadow the party if he wanted to be close or elsewhere if he was doing something else, and always I would be mentally keeping track of how he acted and reacted to what the players did in his domain.
>>
>>48531678
Thanks, I might actually do what this anon said >>48531634 and have Strahd ride by the Death House as the party leaves. They can have a good look of him through his carriage as he looks at them then at the house and give a subtle grin, him knowing how dangerous that place was and that the party surviving might be something worth while.
>>
>>48531679
Remember, Strahd has other things going on too. He's searching for Van Richten who's in hiding, and so will be off doing that sometimes, and he'll be creating proxies that the party can later eliminate while doing that search.
At first Ireena is just a hot chick he wants, and his obsession shouldn't grow until much later on when the party is capable of at least fending him off a little bit.
>>
>>48531679
The moment the party starts gathering artifacts, if Strahd finds out about it, all bets are off.
The group of pissant adventurers that he found amusing at first have managed to find the one weapon in his entire realm capable of posing him a tangible threat. He's done playing with his food, and now will actively seek to kill them.

That's when they get the invite to Ravenloft.
For a nice dinner.
>>
>>48531741
That's how I played him too.
They managed to get two (lucky placement on the Fate Draw) before he realized what was actually going on (he didn't know what they were at first), but at that point the party was more powerful and was cagey as shit.

They worked at objectives and were basically doing some crazy undercover spy-shit, always hunting down Strahd's proxies and avoiding anyone who could be a spy to stop him from narrowing their position, moving around a lot to stop from getting pinned down.
>>
>>48531741
Okay, so I am correct in thinking that. Bit worried though, I loved the campaign but I knew of a few tables that raged quite hard because they had party wiped too many times and they blamed it on the game being too hard. So I guess I am going to have to explain that this game does not have much room for stupid decisions.
>>
Anyone tried the phandelver shit on roll20? Is it any good? I am interested in it, but I would feel better about it if someone who has played/looked over it posted their throughts.
>>
>>48531761
My players learned this the hard way in our previous session. A fighter got separated in the Death House basement, chasing down a turned ghoul. Rather than regroup, he started poking around on his own, triggering an encounter which ended up making the encounter the rest of the party had started quite a bit harder.

If it weren't for the party having a cleric and paladin, a silvered shortsword and some very lucky rolls, it could've been a TPK right there.
>>
>>48531780
I am finishing it up now as a DM. It's fun and a good intro to the game but can have some slow moments. I find that the Campaign book is a little hard to read as information on NPC's and their goals are all over. If you use the PDF version you should also get the jpg maps. Use those for Roll20 but you may need to resize them. Try to line up the maps to the grid for the site.
>>
>>48531800
I meant the 20 dollaridoos set up roll20 version though. I am lazy, and have disposable income.
>>
How's the Mastermind Rogue archetype?
>>
>>48531798
I fucked up and told my friends interested in playing my entire run through of Death House. Gonna need to change up shit so it's different for them.
>>
>>48531812
Oh. Well I didn't use that but it looks alright.
>>
I'm thinking about killing off my dragonborn sorcerer. The character itself has become a bit of a husk and I realize now that in my pursuit of damage spells the class has become less and less effective, especially now that everyone is a partial or full caster.

We have a tanky eldritch knight, a rogue/monk, a warlock and a bard of valor. It seems like even though my damage is sort of handy for fireballing crowds or throwing away blights and leveled chromatic orbs at big bads, I feel like the tank's heroics and everyone else's inputs make me less and less effective with each campaign.

However, the real question now is what would I even do now? I'm not sure if I'm experienced or creative enough to go full wizard, other caster classes seem sort of petty and nonsensical, but martials seem too narrow and uninteresting. We already have a party face, a skill jockey (I hope, he never pulls his fuckin weight) and some sort of support. I mean, I know that this isn't 4th edition and we don't have to think in terms of strategic roles anymore and we have so much freedom and da-di-da but in the end a character that is ineffective or redundant just seems like a drag. I'm just at a loss of what to do.
>>
>>48531855
Considered Multiclassing?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
>>48531855
multiclass paladin and start smiting fools upclose
>>
>>48531855
it might not be the best suggestion, but im going to suggest a tempest cleric in this scenario
they're pretty much a full martial, and use their spells (when not buffing) for massive aoes

that, or some form of smiteadin, which depending on your level could be pretty cheese
>>
>>48531880
>>48531885

Smiting is pretty choice. The rogue/monk was an oath of vengeance paladin and rocked pretty hard up until he got PWK'd. We actually just finished a dual between the tank and his resurrected corpse.

Tempest cleric would kick ass if I had gone with lightning instead of cold. It was a bad gimmick choice, I know.

Not bad choices, though, considering I have 17STR. Just hit level 9 too, so I need to decide what to do with that.
>>
>>48531913
ah yeah, i was suggesting tempest if you killed the sorc
smiteadin obviously goes right into sorc levels, so if you dont kill yourself thats the obvious choice
>>
>>48531855
What level are you all, and how is your sorc built?
>>
>>48531925
Everyone is around level 9 now, I believe I might have been the last one to reach it but I'm not entirely sure.

Dragonborn Sorcerer 8 (Sailor BG)
17St, 15De, 16Co, 14In, 14Wi, 20Ch
Athlet. +5, Intim +5, Insight +4, Percept +4
AC 16, 55HP

Resistant to cold, poison, force, shock; cold affinity (+cha to damage), weakness to acid, immune to magic missile.

Spells include chromatic orb, magic missile, levitate, enhance ability, fireball, fear, blink, blight and stoneskin.

Also have a wand of magic missile and a lightning based javelin weapon
>>
>>48531960
yeah m8, just throw a level of paladin on that, and you're smitin with the best of em. if you do end up killing it, you could just make a "better" one instead, or try tempest. but as it is, thems some pretty nice smite stats. only hurtin part is the ac
>>
>>48532029
yeah, i've been playing in nothing but a pair of parachute pants since day one, only thing that's changed is a ring of protection. i'd like armor already
>>
>>48531658
Nothing wrong with playing it old school. If you really want to stop them from not even attempting to keep themselves out of danger simply give them something worth keeping that character alive for, such as some cool loot that would be lost to them upon death.
>>
File: Pugilist.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pugilist.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So one of my players wanted to play a brawler, a strength-based monk kind of guy. I've had heard great things about the Pugilist homebrewed class so I'm taking a look at it.
There are some neat ideas in here (Dug Deep, Haymaker) and I like the idea of a "variant class" mirroring another class' features with another flavor.

But,
> When an enemy creature deals damage to you that causes you to lose hit points equal to half your level or higher (not temporary hit points) you gain 1 moxie point, up to your maximum.
I don't think this can stay as is, especially with
> Brace Up. You can use a bonus action and spend 1 moxie point to brace for attacks. Roll your fisticuffs die + your proficiency modifier + your Constitution modifier and gain that many temporary hit points.

So there are multiple ways I can go.
I'm choosing to keep the idea of Moxie points being less plentiful than Ki points, but with a regen mechanism. It just needs to be tuned down, which can be accomplished thus:
> You gain 1 moxie point when you or any ally that you can see in 30ft is damaged by a critical hit.
OR
> You gain 1 moxie point when you reduce a dangerous hostile creature to 0 hit points.

I prefer the first one thematically, but it's definitely going to be less common. Depending on which I choose, Brace Up's power level and/or formula needs to be changed accordingly.
I thought this would be decent:
> Brace Up. You can use a bonus action and spend 1 moxie point to brace for the next attack. You gain your fisticuffs die + your Constitution modifier temporary hit points for 1 minute or until the next damage you receive.

The idea is: it stacks with the Dodge action making, works on Saving Throw effects (AoEs from friends and foes alike), and will always "do" something since it lasts for a long time (but will only prevent part of next attack's damage).

Any thoughts or help on this?
>>
So my group is playing through a homebrew setting of mine, and we're just doing a brief 6 week campaign since we all go back to university in September and aren't sure how our schedule will look for weekly sessions.

I have them defeating one of the BBEG's main henchmen (the guy they're fighting isn't actually aware of the BBEG) as the ending of the campaign. The boss, I guess you could say, is a giant Orc riding a wyvern.

I have a question though.Should I do the fight like this
>Phase 1, they have to fight the wyvern while the Orc is riding it and casting spells from its back
>Phase 2, the wyvern crashes down and the Orc switches to his melee weapons

Or something else?
>>
>>48532280
If his whole deal is that he rides a wyvern, obviously have them fight him on the wyvern.

Don't be so strict with the 'phases' though, your players might surprise you and find a way to kill him while he's still on the wyvern. Or they might just polymorph the wyvern into a rabbit while its in the air causing the orc to plummet to the floor.

While a 2 phased fight like that is ideal for coolness, try to think of weird ways your players might tackle it other than treating it like a giant lump of hit points that gets another health bar when you empty the first.
>>
>>48532304
Good point.

Their first encounter with him was when they accidentally came across his warband in the desert. He watched as they were overwhelmed by his orcs (and killed about 30 of them before they had to retreat) and now he WANTS to fight them.

Now that you mention it, the barbarian lost his eye to the Orc in his backstory, so I don't imagine he'll just let the guy sit there on his mount.

I'll definitely have to adjust to what they try to do to him and not just treat the wyvern as extra HP.
>>
>>48532238
Honestly the reason it gets such high praise is, from what I've seen, because the author shills it goddamn everywhere.

But if you need a way for moxie to fill up again, use the "on a kill/crit" rules other martial abilities rely on.
>>
>>48532338
> use the "on a kill/crit" rules other martial abilities rely on.

Uuh... Which ones?
>>
>>48532355
Great weapon mastery does it primarily, but there are a few others in other homebrews, and probably a few others out there.
>>
>tfw Half Elf Paladin with

str 16
dex 10
con 12
int 8
wis 14
cha 16

Jesus fucking christ why are Half Elves so fucking stacked?
>>
>>48530941
Revenant race, Gothic Heroes UA
>>
>>48531492
That's one way to take Rictavio, but there are others. In my campaign Rictavio abandoned his mission against Strahd entirely and needs the party to bring him back into the business. So he wouldn't even go to his tower or release his pet on purpose, he mostly is frozen in time in Vallaki debating whether he should just let Ezmerelda take over entirely. Many things bring him back, but if the players figure him out he's now an NPC that can point them somewhere for a quest - I'm thinking he will say they need to find a magical item in the castle and return alive to prove they are capable enough.
>>
https://youtu.be/hIUHLe1uwIE?t=586

Friendly reminder to put thought into WHY your players chose their class.

For session zero would it be a bad idea to straight up just ask the players why they chose their class as the DM?
>>
Vampire Killer
Legendary +1 Flail, Reach

A crucifix shaped hilt that can be extended into a shining length of silvered chain when the wielder (or the flail itself) wills it.
The flails chain seems to burn with holy power. Blood and ichor boils off of its surface.

Sentience
The Vampire Killer is a sentient chaotic good weapon with an Intelligence of 11, a Wisdom of 17, and a Charisma of 16.
The weapon communicates by transmitting emotions to the creature carrying or wielding it.
If a Neutral-aligned creature attempts to wield this weapon, it will refuse to extend its chain.
If an Evil-aligned creature attempts to wield this weapon, they immediately take 1d6 radiant damage as purifying magic flows into them. As long as they hold the flail, they take an additional 1d6 radiant damage at the beginning of their turn.

Personality
Imparts a strong desire to smite undead creatures to the wielder.
Its purpose is simply to purify evil, particularly undead.

Holy Water
The 3-pronged head of the flail is tipped with 3 vials of holy water.
When you hit with this weapon, you can expend 1 of the vials to cause it to shatter, releasing its contents onto your target. If the target is a Fiend or Undead, it takes 2d6 radiant damage.
The vials magically recover each day at dawn.

Righteous Will
The sentient will of the Vampire Killer protects the wielder against the mind altering effects of a vampires Charm ability. While holding this weapon, the wielder gains advantage on saving throws to resist Charm effects, and the DC is lowered by 2.
I'm running Curse of Strahd and wanted to add a Vampire Killer flail into the game, since one of my players is a paladin who wields a flail, and.. it seems a fairly obvious inclusion. Probably going to have this be on the corpse of an adventurer in the Amber Temple.
Thoughts on balance/flavor/etc?
>>
>>48532560
>cha 16
that's why
>>
I was thinking about making it so in my game general ideas or rumors become true so as an example if enough people believe a huge ogre is going to burn down the town then a huge ogre will burn down the town.

The idea is that magic is everywhere and the energy a group of people give off can manifest into existence.

Is that cool or am I fucking retarded? Also can you think of something I can add to make it better?
>>
>>48531457
>>48531486
>>48531529
>>48531593

Water veil is supposed to have a 1 minute duration and requires concentration.
It can be applied up to 2 creatures.

It's usefully if you have a lightning blaster in your party.

Rock spear is mostly for flavour as the only offensive "earth" based spells are magic stone (which someone else needs to throw) and melfs minute meteors which is a lvl 3 spell.
It's a inferior eldritch blast yeah.

Also did I misunderstand evocation as "creation" instead of manipulating dangerous energies?
>>
>>48533194
It's an idea with merit but you would need to figure out its limits.

How many people believing in something does it take to change reality?
Does the amount of people required increase with how big the change is?
If so, does that mean a relatively small change only needs a handful of people?
If a particularly charismatic liar goes around telling everyone in town he has the biggest dick in the universe, does it become true?
What's stopping a large cult from forming where purely by believing the world will end, the world ends? How do you stop it? Do you need to change the cults beliefs, or just make an equal amount of people believe it won't?

Mass thought causing changes is a fairly common thing, but is usually used as a basis for like, how strong a god is. Allowing everyone with a brain the potential to alter reality is pretty nuts, so you'd have to get a handle on how it actually works pretty quickly.
>>
File: tmp_19186-37609(2)1649489478.jpg (3MB, 1200x1636px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19186-37609(2)1649489478.jpg
3MB, 1200x1636px
My parties level 4. I'm kicking off part 2 of our campaign by having The Brightwood faction of The Sons of Alagondar hire the party ,who are essentially a suicide squad style group of misfits( Drow Rogue, Half orc Barbarian, Wood Elf ranger, Dragonborn Sorcerer, Tiefling Bard and a power hungry Wizard) to assasinate Dagult NeverEmber in order to put the lost heir Ammon Hornraven on the throne. While their motivation is to end his tyranny over the city I figure they're actually the pawns of the Lords of Water Deep and or the Aboleth / a Demonic mastermind. This will be set in NeverWinter around 1479 DR when the city fully went to shit with the chasm spilling out aberrations and Orcs in the city.

I'm being fairly liberal with the setting using the bits that work for the story I want to tell. I figure their actions cause the city to descend into chaos and ill play it from there.

Any thoughts on how to play out a cool assassination /heist mission? I was thinking of going full detail sandbox and giving Dagult a daily hour by hour routine that they can work out, as well as detailing all his defences and so on and having the party tackle it how they like. I ideally want them to succeed but I want chance of failure to be real and have interesting consequences beyond everybody dies.
>>
>>48531138
>>48531022
I wouldn't. You still get long and short rests, and the undead abilities you do get (like not needing to sleep, eat or breathe) should make up for it. Besides that, its just some of the healing spells that don't work. Potions work just fine, same with goodberries and other random things.

Besides, an undead guy in a party of almost any of 5es healers doesn't really work that well to begin with. Clerics that turn undead are essentially short a class feature (same with paladins) and thats not even counting the roleplay elements making such a partnership unlikely.

Druids and bards can still heal them with their spells and abilities (goodberries, song of rest) and later on if you really need healing you can afford all the potions you want since there is no real money sink in 5e.
>>
>>48533199
You probably aren't technically wrong in how evocation is defined, but in practice you evoke energies not objects.
>>
I'm playing a half-Orc barbarian who's father was a Uthgardt barbarian and mother an Orc chieftainess who was taken as a prize. I don't want to play the standard "Orc smash" simple-minded barbarian. What are some ways I can do that with the backstory I have?
>>
>>48533913
Take Rome
>>
>>48533913
Civilized barbarian. Tribe broke up for reasons while young, he adapted to city life in a limited matter but still holds on to his roots. Has learned to be chill. Until he isn't.
>>
>>48533913
>acrobat
>reader
>suave roguish type
>soft spot for short people
>exotic performer
>nice guy
>bar fighter
>wrestler
>a really good chef (likes cooking more than fighting)
>doesn't know own strength
>drunkard
>killed people but only in self defense
>sense of polite justice

pick some
>>
>>48533913
You are a historian of both of your heritages rich cultures. You adventure to find more cultural artifacts and clues to old legends.
>>
>>48533009
No it wouldn't as a DM I always try to figure out what they player wanted to get out of their character, and I try my best to give it to them, within reason of course
>>
>>48533009
Honestly I try to work with players to create their characters from the start.
>>
>>48533968
I second this. Dream of conquest, of rallying the barbarian hordes and falling upon civilization in what could be the last and greatest battle of their lives. Make such an end, as to be worthy of remembrance.
>>
>>48531005
>>48531006
>>48531022
>>48531138
>>48533442
>>48532768
>>48530941
Alright, I think I've got it.

PROS: Immunity to poisoned and poison damage, immunity to exhaustion, advantage on being turned (and controlled in other ways), and can heal naturally like a living being. Also doesn't need air, food, drink, or sleep, and doesn't age.

CONS: Can be turned, can't be healed by most magic, most people assume you're evil.
>>
>>48533968
>>48534455
This is a shit goal for D&D unless you throw in some mass combat rules. Why the fuck is that character wasting their time in an adventuring party instead of creating political contacts and rallying disparate tribes
>>
>>48534501
>mass combat rules
I forget, did we have any of those? Alternatively, ones that aren't shit?
>>
>>48534607
Typically people say steal them from another system. I think the most popular for that were Savage Worlds and GURPS.
>>
>>48533199
A 1 minute concentration cantrip that targets 2 creatures seems rather out of place. Being able to double the lightning damage to two enemies or halve it to two allies is incredibly useful in the right situation.

A weaker version of Eldritch blast sounds fine, though it still seems better than fire bolt.
>>
Trying to come up with a non-traditional dungeon; specifically, I'd like to turn a nearby jungle into one instead of the party just walking through to the ruins at the end. What would be the best way to go about it? Would it be sufficient to have a small-scale hexcrawl?
>>
>>48534836
Heart of Darkness, bro. They have to travel by river boat and the natives and wildlife are hostile. They have to scare them off or try to withstand their harassing attacks. If they leave the boat all paths are narrow and have insects and creatures that cause diseases.

You don't even have to map all of this out. If anything, have the map based on a fog of war, because there is legit fog.
>>
Speaking of mass combat, I've been wanting to run a one-shot/short campaign based around invading hobgoblins. The party would be decently high level and in charge of defending a fortress. How can I run this situation (lots of enemies and people under the party's command) in a way that's efficient and fun?
>>
I'll be playing for the first time soon and I just made my first character. How did I do?
>>
>>48535147
Seems fine to me. But a 19 STR would make you heavier than 200 lbs
>>
>>48534836
Just do it Monkey Island style: it is a jungle themed dungeon with impenetrable jungle between "rooms"
>>
>>48533199
Unless I'm misreading things, your 'weaker Eldritch Blast' will be just as potent as Eldritch Blast if available to the subclasses that give bonuses to cantrip damage.

This list would comprise of, at least, the Arcana Cleric, and (as long as it is an Evocation) the Evocation Wizard.
>>
>>48534836
Have a deck of cards with random encounters. Success or failure on these encounters move them forward or backward by a given number of points. Attain X points to complete the area. Complete Y areas to reach the end of the jungle.
>>
>>48535300
>Attain X points to complete the area
That defeats the purpose of the random encounter deck though, doesn't it? Some of the most fun my group has had with random encounters is from an area we utterly feared (cathedral belonging to the CN religion we accidentally declared war on) being defended by two level two warriors and a small dog, at level 8, and from an area we didn't really fear all that much (we were going to a tavern we had rooms at, and passing through some back alleys to save time) being the site of a dumbass warlock getting destroyed by the massive demon he'd summoned.
>>
>>48535379
The idea was the make it such that, while it's possible for you to pass through an area finding three different lootable corpses and a fruit tree, it isn't extremely likely.

Having a large hex of laid-out Tarot cards, with each card corresponding to a different encounter, works too, I suppose. The World has you fight magical vampires.
>>
>>48535462
>Having a large hex of laid-out Tarot cards, with each card corresponding to a different encounter, works too, I suppose.
I would roll my eyes through the back of my skull if I saw this.
>>
>>48535484
Good thing I'm not DMing for you, then.

What would you prefer?
>>
>>48535212
>>48534929

A combo of both of these will probably suit me best. I was also thinking along the line of having environmental hazards/puzzles in the vein of Golden Sun and the like, especially after the DMG mentioned a dungeon could be the top of a plateau or the branches of a huge tree.

>>48535300
While this is interesting, I do have more "set" encounters. Namely, some standard jungle creatures and a cell of Yuan-ti who recently arrived to the island. I'm toying with the idea of having the enemies move about as the party does; the creatures would just move in a small set area, while the yuan-ti have pre-determined patrol/scouting routes.
>>
>>48535147
Mostly it's fine. You don't add proficiency to damage rolls, so it should be 1dX+4 damage, and daggers have a 20/60 range too, but that's the only actual issue I can see.
>>
So in the end of the last session, my character died. I was the group's main damage dealer, playing a sneak attack archer rogue.
For my next character, I want to be more of a tank. How much would you roll your eyes at me if I were to make an Abjuration Wizard?
>>
>>48535531
I've actually toyed with the idea of a dwarf abjurer. Moutain dwarf, while giving you a fairly useless +2 Str, does give you good armor to combine with wards and such.
>>
>>48535531
What level? Abjuration Wizard's capacity to tank is affected considerably by level and multiclassing.
>>
>>48535509
I would prefer not to play with on a bullshit encounter farm.
>>
Player of mine is really interested in the Way of the Four Elements Monk.
I´m trying to figure out how to make this spec playable right now.

What do you think about making all the Spell options for the Four Element Monk Bonus Actions that he can activate after an Attack Action is taken?

Or is there any other way to fix this Archetype already?
>>
>>48535531
Sounds fine to me. Watch out for other spellcasters though. They'll need to die first
>>
>>48535626
It's playable it's just not optimal. He can soak up some damage so he's not going to die super fast or anything. If he wants to play it just let him play it. He wants to play that class not the one you're going to write up for him. It's really condescending for you to tell him he can't play the character he wants.
>>
>>48535626
The class isn't SO broadly weak that you need to tinker so heavily with the main mechanics of it.

If you are worried that the final character is going to be a bit flimsy, have his masters give him some sort of tattoo or heirloom that will stick with him and give him a bit of a boost.
>>
>>48535662
>>48535653

Just heard some really bad stuff about it and never saw it in action desu.

Seeing that the players is fairly new I am quite careful not to make his experience bad if he is the number cruncher type for player
>>
>>48535653
I swear 3. Edition did lasting damage to the D&D community.
>>
>>48535675
If he were a min-maxer, he'd have already done the research necessary to put him off the "not optimal" Elemental monk.
He may just want to have fun or something odd like that.
>>
>>48535675
If he dies, he dies. He'll get used to it or he'll go apeshit and never play again.
>>
>>48535626
Lower the ki costs of the Wo4E spells, tweak the level requirements, possibly give him an extra ki point every five levels or something or more techniques known.

The problem with Wo4E isn't that the spells are useless, since they're the same spells actual casters get, but that you get so few of them, so few casts, and casting them also uses up your primary class resource. Imagine if Eldritch Knights had to use their action surge or second wind to cast a spell. The reason Paladins can get away with this shit is because Smiting for slots is REALLY GOOD, and they're not trash once they run out of that.
>>
>>48535675
You should let him play as is first, then find out if there's something he doesn't like about it and help him out then. He might actually really like playing Wot4E as is. Who knows?

Baring that, this.
>>
>>48535675
Warn him that the class is somewhat weaker than most others mechanically; but if he really wants to play that kind of character, he is free to. Suggest that, if his character seems vastly weaker than equivalent characters of other classes during play, you may buff his character in some way or other to keep pace.
>>
File: MF FINAL.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
MF FINAL.pdf
1B, 486x500px
thoughts on the mousefolk race? is it balanced?
>>
>>48535531
Go deep gnome with the special deep gnome feat for at will nondetection to infinitely recharge your shield. That will make you very tanky.
>>
>>48535626
The main thing I always suggest is giving him some extra ki points so he can use all his features more reliably. An extra point or two every few levels will let him fling spells without preventing his standard ki uses.
>>
>>48535531
I've been wanting to mix an Eldritch knight with 6 levels of abjurer for a while now in order to make a fighter who can magically ward allies. I think it could work decently well as a straight wizard, but you'd need very good con and a way to replenish the shield easily
>>
>>48535774
>2 1/2 feet tall
>25 lbs

This is the most retarded shit I've seen posted in a long time.
>>
>>48535626
There's this one that seems rather sensible.
>>
>>48535868

why, should it be bigger or smaller? I was thinking that if it was a problem I would make it the size of a halfing.
>>
>>48535774
The perfect race to punt kick
>>
>>48535561
>>48535822
We use custom races, with point-buy racials, so I'd be going for a halfling fluff, to be as small and nonintimidating as possible, and pick up as many tanky racials as I can.
>>48535566
Level nine, and multiclassing is allowed after I make up a decent backstory for it and clear it with the GM.
>>48535857
Shouldn't be a problem, we have a good magical items budget and new characters get some choice in what they pick. For instance, our bard has a staff that gains 1d4 "points" per day, that he can store up to about twenty points or something, and then use to replenish his spell slots, or cast a spell that the staff knows (four evocations).
>>48535627
Group policy since the first day.
>>
>>48535984
Well yeah. You shouldn't JUST be looking at ability scores and skills to figure out balance.
>>
>>48536055

but that's what I'm asking, should it be an issue because I thought the DMG accounted for that in 251
>>
>>48535984
Your race is small enough to crawl in pretty much anywhere, and light enough that if he gets knocked out the party fighter can just put him in his backpack without even gaining encumbrance. Hell, the wizard could probably carry him around without encumbrance.
>>
>>48536043
Starting with a single level of fighter increases your hp by a bit, your ac by a lot, gives you second wind for more healing, and proficiency in con saving throws will healp in concentration.
>>
>>48536130

I never think about these things when running my game, like having to pick someone up to carry them out of a fight. I like to keep the pace running pretty quick, so some rules get blurred.
>>
>>48536130

they are literally a half or 1 foot shorter than a halfling/gnome, and weigh half (or more than half) what a halfling/gnome weighs, how is it that someone can shove them in a pack or whatever you are talking about be a problem? it's literally a smidge smaller compared to the core races.
>>
>>48536227
Not everything in core is very well balanced to begin with. I have groups abusing how small the party gnome is all the time.
>>
>>48536105
That halflings and gnomes don't get big penalties based on their physical stature is ridiculous enough, yet you're making something even smaller. Why?
>>
OK, this is probably going to sound retarded, but I'm looking to start running a 5e game soon, and I have some questions.

Every monster has an XP value, yes? So you just add up the XP, and split it per character, right?

But what's up with XP thresholds, or budgets, or whatever? Is that just supposed to let you judge how tough a fight might be?

Also, if anyone has any good resources for a DM running Princes of the Apocalypse, please do mention them here

PS: Why does the index in the PHB suck so hard?
>>
File: 1468722276115.jpg (22KB, 465x411px) Image search: [Google]
1468722276115.jpg
22KB, 465x411px
>>48536281

read the fucking dungeon master guide
>>
>>48536317

I did. I didn't grok it, so I thought I'd ask here
>>
>>48536281

The dmg m7
>>
>>48536281
>Every monster has an XP value, yes? So you just add up the XP, and split it per character, right?
Yes, p 260 of the DMG
>But what's up with XP thresholds, or budgets, or whatever? Is that just supposed to let you judge how tough a fight might be?
Challenge Rating. Look it up in the DMG
>PS: Why does the index in the PHB suck so hard?
Because many of the things you're looking for are probably in the DMG, not the PHB.
>>
>>48536281
>PS: Why does the index in the PHB suck so hard?
The PHB is to let you participate in a game. You want the DMG, which will let you lead a game.
>>
>>48536281
>Is that just supposed to let you judge how tough a fight might be?
Yes.
>>
File: 1468790821677.jpg (101KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
1468790821677.jpg
101KB, 500x469px
First time DM here, a bit unsure of how to go about handing out treasure after a dungeon.

I understand the charts and how to use them based on CR, but should I be tallying it up for EVERYTHING the players fought, or just the big final boss monster?

I would think it'd be weird for the party to be grabbing piles of gold off of dead ghouls, and hell even the boss wouldn't make much sense, but I don't want them to walk away with nothing but a couple pieces of jewelry they found in a desk
>>
>>48536154
What? Wouldn't he just get the d10 dice for his one fighter level? And armor proficiency for a wiz is pointless, they have mage armor
>>
What do the people in Barovia eat? Apart from Krezk, which barely trades with anyone else, I don't see any farms on the map, and even if there were I don't see how they could be protected from the various horrors that prey on the villagers and townfolk of the land.
>>
>>48536281
It's better not to use XP unless it's a campaign based pretty much entirely on combat. It's better to say "you accomplished the big important thing of the day, so you all get a level."

You can pace things far, far better that way and not have to deal with the question of "but what if we gain a level in the middle of combat."
>>
>>48536384
Have them find various worthless junk if they insist on looting ghouls, and then anything reasonable on the boss. Don't have them find a pile of four thousand gold on him or anything, but maybe a purse containing a handful of coins, a cigar case, and a desk key. The fact that they find a desk key will lead them on to finding his desk, and you should feel free to have his office or whatever contain all sorts of valuable stuff.
>>
>>48536404

Hmmm.

Might do that
>>
I want to be THAT guy. I want to have fun without giving a shit about others.
>>
>>48536394
1st level hit die is maxed, so you start with fighter for the 10+con hit points. The armor proficiency means you get shield proficiency, and mage armor is 13 + dex. Unless you're focusing on dex over int (which is a legitimate choice for some builds) armor is going to provide more ac than mage armor.
>>
>>48536384
Don't treat it like a video game. Players looting corpses wastes time, so put the big money in honoring contracts and doing deeds (money is credit). You can always have the contractor hand them "bonuses" as well. A sword of a dead guy should really only be looted if it's magical, otherwise, the smith will just want to melt it down when it's sold to him (for dirt cheap). He makes money off of his own work and the trust that brings him.

>>48536417
That's fine too.
>>
>>48536402
Welcome to the exciting world of fantasy economics. For that matter, what place churns through slaves at such a pace that Essos needs three gigantic cities that pretty much exclusively trade in slaves, as well as an entire massive steppe of horse nomads whose primary living is kidnapping and selling people to the slave cities.
>>
>>48536281
Yes, you split the total XP among the party members. However, when you're building an encounter, you use its Adjusted XP value, modifying the XP total based on the number of monsters and players.

For example, you have a party of 4 level 1s, and you want them to fight some zombies. The XP thresholds for your party are as follows:
>Easy: 100 exp
>Medium: 200 exp
>Hard: 300 exp
>Deadly: 400 exp
A Zombie is CR 1/4, worth 50 XP. An encounter with only one is trivial. 2 means an Easy fight (150 adjusted XP: 2*50*1.5). 3 means a Hard fight (300 adjusted XP: 3*50*2). 4 zombies is a deadly threat to this party (400 adjusted XP: 4*50*2). The modifiers are in the DMG, but you can use sites such as kobold.club that do the math for you.
>>
>>48535531
Abjuration wizards aren't tanks, they're just wizards that are slightly harder to gib in one turn.
>>
Would Boots of Water Walking as an Uncommon magic item be overpowered?

Water Walk is a 3rd-level spell, and according to the DMG an Uncommon magic item should have limited (~1/day) usages of a 3rd-level spell, but Water Walk is such a niche spell I figure it should be fine, yeah? Or do I need to push it to Rare?
>>
>>48536507
>more of a tank than a sneak attack archer rogue
>slightly harder to gib in one turn
Seems accurate.
>>
I want to make an insane healing machine character. Like, I want the party to be soooo hard to kill as long as I'm alive.

Should I go cleric? What domain?
>>
>>48534498
Honestly, that doesn't feel like a 5e race at all. Too many drawbacks. This is what I'd do for a Necropolitan, skipping the whole "template" angle:

* +1 to two ability scores of your choice
* Medium size
* 30ft base speed
* Deathly Resilience: Resistance to Poison and Necrotic damage.
* Living Dead: You have no need to breathe, don't need to eat but can ingest food and drink if you want, and trance for 4 hours instead of sleeping.
* Unliving Flesh: Gain +1 to max HP equal to level, as per Mountain Dwarf.

This, to me, suggests the strengths of an "undead" character without actually making for a character unfairly gypped over as undead would be in 3.5. After all, the Revenant race is undead, but they don't have to put up with turning or an inability to be healed.
>>
>>48536513
Not often one would actually walk on water.
>>
>>48536529
War.
>>48536544
It's DnD, you're more likely to walk on rivers of blood with them.
>>
>>48536448
And that's only if you maximize Dex, basically. Anything less can't match the 18 Dex of full plate.
>>
>>48536544
So is that a "no, it wouldn't be too powerful"?
>>
>>48536607
Yes
>>
>>48536607
It seems fine to me. You already have one that grants more than enough flight time for most fights in that rarity.
>>
>>48535868
>>48535774
>>48535984
i'm not very smart but doing some quick math i think if the average mouse is 3.5 inches from head to tail and weighs 0.05 pounds, and your mouse-man is 30 inches (2.5 feet), he would weigh like 30 pounds if he was just proportionally bigger.

thats 8.5 times taller, so 8.5 cubed to get his new volume would be 614.25, so he weighs that times a mouses weight of 0.05, 30 pounds about.

not that that matters in a game.
>>
>>48536513
Nope, there's already a Ring of Water Walking in the DMG, which is also uncommon, no attunement required.

>>48536529
Life Cleric. Duh. Once you max your Wisdom, even Healing Word is giving 9-13 HP. Plus after level 6 you heal yourself when healing other people.
>>
>>48536227
>they are literally a half or 1 foot shorter than a halfling/gnome, and weigh half (or more than half) what a halfling/gnome weighs
the square-cube law's a bitch
weight increases (or decreases) much faster than size
double the size (height/depth/width) of an object, and you're quadrupling its surface area but OCTUPLING its volume/weight
>>
What /tg/ think of this Domain?
>>
>>48536646
Or you could go with the weight of an opossum, which is about 14 pounds.

>>48536772
Oh! I coulda sworn there was a water walking magic item already, I was just looking for the wrong thing.
>>
>>48536884
Resistance is too good.
Party-wide resistance to a single damage type for 10 minutes as long as they can merely see this thing? Even if it's destroyable? Don't know why I'd ever go with any other option, even if we were fighting undead. The DM would make fucking random animals start tearing down this flag just to untrivialize the encounter.
>>
>>48536884
Isn't Shared Burden pretty much redundant with Warding Bond?

I might take the Divine Strike damage down to d4s, unless there's a particular reason you WOULDN'T be within 10 feet of it more than half the time. After all, if I'm remembering correctly, the game assumes roughly 4 fights and 2 short rests per day, and by 8th level you have two Channel Divinities per short rest.

Resistance should probably be "except bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing".

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion is a 7th-level spell. Even at 17th level with a fairly niche spell, 2-3 castings per short rest is too much. At minimum it should say "you must complete a long rest before you can use this option again".

Resilience should have a distance range. Otherwise everyone has proficiency on all saving throws all the time, essentially.

Meanwhile, there's no reason for the time limit on Demoralize to be so low. -1d4 from attack rolls is roughly equivalent to +2.5 to AC. Shield of Faith basically does that for one ally and it's a 1st-level spell that lasts longer.

And similarly for Final Stand, maybe make it something like ten minutes instead of thirty seconds. Disadvantage on all rolls for a week is a pretty hefty price.
>>
File: 1467078028905.jpg (270KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
1467078028905.jpg
270KB, 600x580px
How difficult is it to convert a 3.5 campaign into a 5e campaign, anyway?
There's a couple of really cool ones I remember playing years ago, and if it's not too hard, it'd be neat to bring them over

>inb4 just make your own campaigns fag
>>
>>48538054
It's easier to convert complicated shit to something less complicated than vice versa, as long as you're willing to de-bloat the 3.5 Mary Sue factory
>>
Hey /tg/, I was looking over the Spell-less Ranger UA when I saw the "Call Natural Allies", and it reeked of complete faggotry. Can I get your onions on if this possible replacement seems okay?

Master of the Hunt
At level 13, your skill has gained you insight at how to turn the world around you into a weapon. You can spend 1 hour gathering and distilling dangerous substances into potent poisons for use equal to your Wisdom Modifier (minimum 1). You can carry a number of poisons equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1) at any one time. The Poison deals 1d6 damage per two Ranger levels. After 24 Hours, any unused Poisons spoil.
>>
I've been tinkering with them off and on for a long time now, so it's finally time for the next update.

Looking for input on what looks too good, what looks too weak, what could potentially be combined with X in a way I didn't foresee, etc. in general, though particular trouble spots are listed at the top.
>>
File: 1458752868660.jpg (445KB, 550x783px) Image search: [Google]
1458752868660.jpg
445KB, 550x783px
Do you use homebrew rules for sorcerers? given that they are the weakest full caster.

I was thinking that I'd allow them to change few (not all) spells maybe once a week in game time, on top of the that levelup when they can change all them.
as a DM I really want to like them and make them equally appealing to my players as a wizard
>>
>>48537051
>4 fights and 2 short rests per day
6-8 encounters in a day anon. Though basically no one follows that.
>>
>>48538357
>given that they are the weakest full caster.
Nigga what. They are stronger than warlocks and at least as strong as land druids.

If I wanted to buff them I would let them get sorcerer points back on a short rest. Not that they need it really.
>>
>>48538357
I make the spell point variant rule default for them, which I think fits them in that they can manipulate magic to a larger degree than wizards, as well as giving bloodline spells a la clerics so they have a few more spells to work with. Also maybe allow wisdom as modifier but I'm not sure about that.
>>
>>48538458
>sorcs have traditionally been about having more casts per day
>wizards get to recharge spells on short rests but sorcs don't
>>
>>48538503
>sorcs have traditionally been about having more casts per day
>wizards get to recharge spells on short rests but sorcs don't
this, plus wizards get ritual casting.

>>48538494
thanks, I'll take a look at the that variant rule, is it in DMG or PHB?
>>
>>48538357
The sorcerer's chassis is weaker than a wizard's, but their archetypes give much bigger bonuses.

At 1st level, a Draconic sorcerer gets 13+Dex AC and extra hit points, and Draconic.

At 2nd level, an evocation wizard gets better at avoiding collateral damage.

At 6th level, the sorcerer gets +5 to all spell damage rolls of a chosen damage type and an hour of damage resistance for 1 sorcery point.

At 10th level, the evocation wizard gets +5 to damage rolls of evocation cantrips.

At 14th level, the draconic sorcerer can fly with a bonus action. The evocation wizard gets a 1/day Overchannel. I know it's not literally 1/day but it is if you want to use it on any kind of powerful spell.

>>48538503
They get sorcery points. If they don't use them for Metamagic, they can actually get more out of them than a wizard gets Arcane Recovery at higher levels. Like, at 20th level the wizard can recover two 5th-level slots once per day during a short rest. A sorcerer can do the same thing as a bonus action and have 6 sorcery points left over.
>>
>>48538458
warlocks are not full caster and land druid is a joke
>>
>>48538542
288 of DMG.
>>
>>48538542
DMG, p288-289.
>>
>>48538557
>warlock is not a full caster

whta the hell is it then? 9th level spells make it pretty fullcastery.
>>
>>48538268
>it reeked of complete faggotry
How so?

Also, how do the poisons work? Does the victim have to drink them, or can you just splash them in their faces? If so, what's the limit on their range? If they deal contact on a touch, do they deal poison damage or maybe acid damage?
>>
>>48538582
warlocks only get 5th lvl spells
>>
>>48538648
Plus Mystic Arcanum. Which functions almost identically to spellcasting and is only listed as a separate feature so they don't interfere with Pact Magic slots. That's the kind of gaping oversight that kind of makes me think you're operating on hearsay and haven't actually read the PHB--at least, not the section on warlocks.
>>
>>48538681
It's a meme to call them half casters because of not getting true higher level slots and spells.
>>
>>48538556

>evocation cantrips

RTM

>Beginning at 10th leveI, you can add your Intelligence modifier to the damage roll of any wizard evocation spell you cast.

Honestly if Sorcs got 5 bonus spells based on their bloodline and maybe a way to regain Sorc points before a long rest I think they'd be fine.

They're certainly not the class that needs to be brought up the most.
>>
>>48538624
>How so?
It's kinda magical if you can Cinderella up an Owlbear, is all I'm saying.

>Also, (snip)
I was thinking same rules as poisons in the PHB, envenom a weapons, spike food/drink, so on so forth.
>>
>>48538556
>level 20
There's no point in discussing anything past level 10 here, and even then that's a stretch. If you want to go all the way to 20, the Wizard's got 10 more spells memorized at any given time than the Sorc and a larger spell list to boot.

If the best the Sorc can do is at his highest level and have enough SP left over for one bonus level 4 slot over a Wizard if he doesn't use his resource for anything else, holy shit, what's even the point? That's not an appreciable difference in any way.

For the vast and overwhelming majority of play, a Sorc can only cast as much as a Wizard, and they must use nearly all of their resources to do it. They have only two metamagic feats, and you're a major league dipstick if one of them isn't Twin. They have fewer spells known and a smaller list. Their archetypes blow by comparison. They're just shittier casters all around.
>>
>>48536537
It's not meant to be a race, it's meant to be something you can add on top of racial bonuses. How is it for one of those?
And revenant actually isn't undead.
>>
File: Princeofwales.jpg (18KB, 341x342px) Image search: [Google]
Princeofwales.jpg
18KB, 341x342px
>>48531855
> I'm thinking about killing off my character.

Retire your character instead. People who throw their characters away the first chance they get are cancer.
>>
How exactly does the Trickster Cleric's Invoke Duplicity work? The wording is incredibly vague.
I played a Trickster Cleric that got tied up by a band of kobolds last night, and I used Invoke Duplicity (side note: does channeling divinity require verbal/somatic/holy symbol combonents?), then spent ten minutes with my DM trying to figure it out. We eventually decided that it makes a clone of yourself that can do anything except physically attack, and, as a "perfect illusion", was subject to physical forces, with hit points equal to my own.
In the first turn he got grabbed and tied up next to me by the kobolds.
>>
>>48538800
I second the dubs prince
>>
>>48538889
I thought it worked as that 2nd lvl spell Mirror Image. although noone in my table plays one so I maybe wrong
>>
>>48538889
It's a perfect illusion of you, but is still just that--an illusion. It doesn't have hit points and can't take damage, since it's just an illusion. What AC or saving throw bonuses it might have also doesn't matter, since it's just an illusion and can't take damage anyway.

It can't attack and can't physically interact with anything, because it's not a creature, just an illusion. Whether it just stands there when you don't use your bonus action to move it, or if it mimics your actions, is up to the DM. You can, however, cast spells through it, in an effort to get creatures to attack your duplicate instead of you or to simply get a better vantage point for self-originating AoEs.
>>
>>48538054

It's not so bad but you're going to have to lean on the 5e DMG charts on making your own enemies to get the numbers right. The scaling is very different between the two in non-intuitive ways.
>>
>>48539041
So in this scenario, the kobolds would have tried to tie it up for about a round before they realized it was an illusion, then ignored it and focused on me?
>>
>>48539128
They would attempt to tie it up and go right through it.
>>
>>48530880
I prefer a middle ground. A good example of a middle ground is *not* Forgotten Realms, and definitely not Eberron. The closest I found to a published setting for that middle ground is Frog God Games' Lost Lands setting.

Love it.
>>
>>48530880
I need to steal some interesting cities, anons. Prefer full writeups, if you all can swing them, but just a few pointers toward some published material would work.
>>
>>48534818
Hm water veil needs rework then.

Duration of one turn, on only one target and cast as bonus action.

Does this balance it out?
>>
>>48535268
It's meant for cleric , druid and sorcerer spell lists.

Just remember that it deals piercing damage so it's the equivalent of a fighter chucking arrows at you (not including all the bonuses from fighting styles)
>>
>>48535531
Go EK first for better saving throws proficiency etc.

Or you could play a Swashbuckler rogue/sorcerer and use booming blade to prevent movement.
>>
>>48535626
Get the remastered homebrew. It's good.
Alternative would be granting them 4 free elemental themed cantrips and one level 1 spell like ice knife that they can use for low cost.
>>
How can I be a master of bees? Circle of the Swarm and the Seeker homebrew archetypes look cool, but I'm mostly interested in being an archer that uses bees instead of transforming into a swarm of bees.
>>
>>48539760
The >>48535887 one or this?
>>
>>48540031
Which homebrew Seeker, exactly?
>>
File: 1469317812469.jpg (135KB, 600x927px) Image search: [Google]
1469317812469.jpg
135KB, 600x927px
>>48540128
not that anon but the other one is the one i think is the best
>>48535887 one i mean.
>>
>>48540142
The one that allows me to embue my arrows with elements. I figured I could flavor the poison spirits as bees, but I feel like a retooled beast master might work better.
>>
>>48535626
>Learn 2 disciplines at 3rd level instead of 1
>Halve all ki costs (rounding up)
>Water whip is a bonus action again
>Instead of 1 ki for an extra 1d10 on one attack, Fangs of the Fire Snake can now spend 1 ki point for an extra 1d4 on all attacks that round; otherwise unchanged

This a good quick fix, /5eg/? It's not a comprehensive fix and might require fine tuning, but I feel like it would fix the immediate issues with the archetype.
>>
>>48540403
What I mean is, do you mean >>48538313 or is there a different one?
>>
How good are Cleric/Monk multiclasses? Does the shared Wisdom focus make up for having to pick between constitution or dexterity?
Do any divine domains sync well with any monastic traditions?
>>
>>48540427
Just use >>48535887
>>
File: FoxitReader_2016-07-30_20-09-59.png (342KB, 464x332px) Image search: [Google]
FoxitReader_2016-07-30_20-09-59.png
342KB, 464x332px
Question about shocking grasp
Does the melee spell attack get bonuses from the casting stat or from str?
>>
>>48540617
casting stat
>>
>>48540544
I don't think there'd be great synergy. For example, the monk's main draw damage-wise is that you get lots of attacks, while Divine Smite assumes you get one attack (so it only triggers 1/turn).

It wouldn't be ESPECIALLY bad, it's just no PalLock.

>>48540617
Spell attacks use the spellcasting ability.
>>
>>48540597
I've seen that before and it strikes me as bloated. Way too many disciplines.
>>
What is the most damaging paladin/warlock multiclass, come to think of it?
>>
>>48540692
>paladin/warlock multiclass
what a weird combo
>>
First session tonight on roll20. Starting at level 1 as a gnome gnoble wizard. Theres as many as 9 players. What should i expect? Also tips so my turn isnt super long as ive heard casters can be. Or just general tips.
>>
>>48540499
Oh, it is in fact that one
>>
>>48540692
>>48540729
pala/lock/sorc is the standard "im smiting all attacks every round"
if you mean burst? dont play paladin

>>48540729
fey/ancients
>>
>>48540752
Yay!

So you like it, then?
>>
>>48540736

Might look into spell cards.
>>
>>48540736
>>48540818
yeah, the druid in my party has spell cards and it helps out a lot.
>>
>>48540736
>>48540818
>>48540832
you might not necessarily need spell cards, but they are obviously easier to manage than squeezing all the rules you need onto your character sheet (or even a spell one) or tabbing the book/pdf you use
at level 1, its not going to be a massive amount to learn, but its just going to go up the more you play
>>
>>48540729
Fluff-wise, I see it as maybe
a Paladin that realizes that the god he worships is actually one of the patrons and decides to roll with it,
or he renounces his patron and embraces the gods (who allow him to keep his warlock powers),
or he renounces his gods and embraces a patron (and somehow keeps his paladin powers, maybe the patron gives him a twisted mockery of paladin powers that work exactly the same)
>>
>>48540910

Paladins aren't tied to gods anymore bub.
>>
>>48540814
Yeah! It's pretty neat
>>
>>48540910
Both classes are based on getting your powers from a powerful entity. It's not hard to imagine the paladin deciding to go from being just friends with his or her deity to being friends-with-benefits.

The only disconnect is that the core Warlock patrons are all faintly evil-ish while the core Paladin is not.
>>
File: ashen hunter.png (380KB, 710x550px) Image search: [Google]
ashen hunter.png
380KB, 710x550px
>>48540692
the right mix of paladin assassin warlock fighter, not necessarily all 4, can do 350-400 damage in a single burst round at high levels.

low levels its just.... hard.... personally i feel like paladin 6 warlock X is the best mix, but ymmv and even that is a long ways in. warlock 1 paladin 2 is a good starting place, but it will delay your extra attack (BUT give you gfb).

the thing is any mix of paladin and warlock.... because you at minimum will go paladin 2, that gives you only 2 first level slots and then 2 warlock slots for most of your career, paladin 5 gives you 6 paladin slots to play with (and 6 gives you aura of protection).
>>
>>48540936
>Paladins aren't tied to gods anymore bub.
>>48540970
>Both classes are based on getting your powers from a powerful entity

So are they just not calling them gods now? It's just any super-powerful being?

...can I make a paladin that worships a Tarrasque?
>>
>>48540910
>>48540936
>>48540970
Really it's a simple "he got warlock powers from something, then dedicates himself to that something as a paladin"

I let people multiclass but I keep secret that I think they're huge faggots and laugh whenever something bad happens to their characters.
>>
>>48540961
I really liked the seeker from 4e, warts and all. Enough to break my "don't just re-hash stuff from earlier generations" rule.

Also I just realized that as written, you don't need to hit the enemy for Elemental Spirits to take effect, but now that I've noticed that I'm not sure if I want to change it.
>>
>>48541027

Paladins get their power from their oath. Their word and their bond is so strong that it gives them divine might. That's why you lose your powers when you break that oath.
>>
>>48541027
Paladins are now tied to esoteric concepts of "duty." That's why they have shit like vengeance paladins.
>>
>>48541027
When I say "a powerful entity", gods are a particular subset of "a powerful entity". Technically the paladin's power comes from his or her oath, which might or might not be tied to a particular god. The game sort of assumes it is (e.g. you use a holy symbol for spellcasting) but leaves the door open for the possibility that you just really, really wanna get vengeance.
>>
>>48540910
Oath of the ancients ties in with a few pacts, there's no need to chop & change between them. Simply having the paladin spend some time furthering their knowledge of their pacts powers in order to uphold their paladin duties with greater ease makes sense.
>>
>>48541027
>So are they just not calling them gods now
they've seperated gods and players the same way alignment is just an rp guide, and background is just "babbys first roleplay"
you can HAVE a god, you dont NEED a god. your power comes from within and your sworn duty
that duty can be from a temple, you can be part of a druid circle, you dont have to be anything, its all fluff

warlocks are similar, but they actually have a "Thing" giving them power, but that thing is just a vague guide
fey, fiend, other
>>
>>48541068
I think it's fucking dumb, but I get why they did it. Now you can just play these edgelord/fedora-tipping classes out of the book without having to bring unbalanced bullshit classes from splats and homebrews to the table.
>>
>>48541047
>>48541051
>>48541068
So really, the magic stems from the individual. Almost more like a sorcerer than a cleric.
>>
>>48541133
You could argue all powers stem from the individual with the exception of Chosen.
>>
>>48541133
Yeah exactly, which is why their powers use the charisma stat. It's all about their conviction and belief in themselves.
>>
>>48538748
Uh, what? The Revenant's whole *fluff* is that the character is an undead version of themselves clinging to the material world in pursuit of vengeance. Don't take the lack of mechanical drawbacks related to being undead
>>
>>48541133

Sort of, but I think anyone with conviction can be a Paladin. Sorcerers are born with it, Paladins are just so fucking into it that it comes out in a weird and vague way.
>>
>>48541199
So maybe you could have a Paladin/Sorceror that started off with his oath, then realized his true potential and now uses his power freely.
>>
>>48541221

You'd lose your oath and your Paladin features.
>>
>>48541133
essentially, they've tried to separate the character from the fluff this edition. theres nothing saying your oath couldn't have been in a gods name, in a gods house, and oh look, you worship a god.

the only thing that "needs" a god, is a cleric, and even then, its the rites and prayers themselves, and the characters devotion to their actions, that give you the power.
not the god itself touching your willy.
it would take a little work to fluff, but a cleric gets its spells quite similarly to how a warlock does. something just says "yeah alright m8, yous a wizzard now"
>>
>>48541247
Not as long as the oaths that were taken aren't broken.
>>
>>48541267

Sure, but "fuck it I'mma do what I want" will probably involve breaking your oaths eventually.
>>
>>48541221
With certain pacts any DM worth his salt would make you fall immediately. If it's something like vengeance or belonging to a philosophy you could have a loophole.
>>
>>48532238
Anyone?
>>
>>48541300
Sorcerer, not Warlock.
>>
>>48541316
The argument still applies, pal. Some Sorc/Pali background combos would make you fall immediately if you used that newfound power.
>>
>>48541247
>>48541298

But if you fluffed it as "discovering the power in himself", it would mean realizing that you could always do these things and the oath isn't necessary.
It'd be something to work out with the DM, but a cool reasoning behind a Paladin/Sorc multiclass
>>
>>48541376
None of them would. Each oath has a list of the expected tenets, and not one of them include a non-compete clause.
>>
>>48541298
What if you only take 2 levels of Paladin, so you get out before you oath in?
>>
>>48541416
cant break what you dont have, it even says that in the class description
>>
>>48541402
If you're a Paladin of Tyr and you get powers from a demonic source and fuck around with those powers you fall. If you're a Paladin of something good and you find out your line is related to a good dragon and you have magic abilities and use them, you're fine. (the "good" part is just an example of continuity with the duty of the example paladin)

>>48541416
You exploited a loophole, thereby casting aside your convictions, so you might fall depending on the DM and their feelings on how the class works.
>>
>>48541390

The oath already comes from you, anon. Maybe you had magic blood in you, but you don't draw your divine might from that magic blood. You draw it from your word, from your conviction.

>>48541416

A weird sort of loophole mechanically but fluffwise Paladins belong to their oath before level 3, I think. You just haven't drawn on it's powers yet. That's why the very start of the Paladin class building section mentions to think about what oath and what "order" (I guess you could call it) you belong to as part of your back story. That said, if I were the DM and you broke the Oath you "intended" to take, I'd take away your Paladin powers.
>>
>>48541471
Most of this stuff stems from people wanting Divine Smite, or more specifically people wanting to turn spell slots into damage. Would it hurt anything for other classes to have an ability like that?
>>
>>48541471
You're that faggot DM that keeps throwing the party orc babies and penitent murderers, aren't you?
>>
>>48541542
hes just a troll who has effectively baited you
>>
Guys, Paladins never lose their class abilities in 5e. Ever.

If they break their Oah as the DM red it they become an Oathbreaker.
>>
>>48535147
You should fill in the rest of your skills and saving throws. You get a modifier even if you're not proficient, you just don't add your proficiency. So like your saving throws should look like this:

>+6
>+3
>+5
>+0
>+3
>+1

I'm not writing out all your skills, but you should pick a fourth skill proficiency. You get Athletics and Intimidation from your Soldier background; you also get two from being a Fighter. I see your first choice is Perception. Your second can be Acrobatics, Animal Handling, History, Insight or Survival.

Also, given the way the sheet has hit points and hit dice listed, I'd move that 13 down to the space below it where it says Maximum and leave the upper space blank so you can keep track of your current hit points there. The hit dice box also lists Current / Total, you should move the 1d10 to the upper part of the box if you can (or just leave it out if you can remember it) and in the bottom right section put a 1 and either leave the bottom left section blank or also put a 1 there. You only got 1 hit die at level 1 so...it's not difficult to keep track of.

Also, as >>48535527 mentioned, you don't add proficiency to damage, and you can throw a dagger 20/60 if you want to put that down, too.

As a final word, something I think a lot of people don't realize about character sheets, is that they're there to remind you what your character's statistics are and aren't 100% necessary for playing the game. So, you don't NEED to write everything on your character sheet if you're familiar enough with them and the system. Conversely, you can fill your sheet with more rules and tips if you think they'll help you remember.

I've seen people play long campaigns and at some points not even bring character sheets with them 'cause everyone at the table already knows what their characters are capable of and what they have on them. It's still nice to have one, though; makes it feel more like D&D.
>>
>>48541590
on the off chance you aren't trolling, this isn't what the phb actually says
>>
I'm sad, guys.

My group, now that the campaign is over, wants me to run a different system, but I wanted to run 5e. Not sure what to do.

I mean, I like the system they brought up...but I don't want to run it.
>>
>>48541494
>A weird sort of loophole mechanically but fluffwise Paladins belong to their oath before level 3, I think. You just haven't drawn on it's powers yet.
Not really. It really implies that you might have taken the oath just as something to do. When you hit 3 you're supposed to be absolutely locked in.

>>48541520
Mechanically it'd be great to not be anchored to a class restriction if you don't want to be. What's also great is that I have 4 systems right next to me that I can bust out that don't have set classes. It's fine to multiclass but it's nice to have a reason as to why you're doing it other than meta, if only to hide the meta under some sand.

>>48541542
I haven't made a single Paladin break an oath or a Cleric have some crisis of faith. I just let them play whatever. It just bugs me to go meta for the sake of meta as if I'm not trying to help the players.

>>48541558
Whatever.
>>
>>48541590
>someone tries this to gain all the cool Oathbreaker skills
>DM tells them they simply lose all their class features
>sperg out like a baby
>fa/tg/uy tells us during storytime

Listen to what this guy said.
>>
>>48541649
>Whatever.
i'm just calling it hows i sees it
>>
File: 2rm341x.jpg (34KB, 671x475px) Image search: [Google]
2rm341x.jpg
34KB, 671x475px
>>48541636
What's the system? Maybe you'll like it?
>>
>>48541672
i respects ya still
>>
File: image.png (24KB, 540x324px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
24KB, 540x324px
/5eg/, I want to Barbarian/Paladin Multiclass. Would a mini-barbarian-alike Homebrew/Existing Oath be better, or is the idea inherently retarded?

I just want to be REALLY, REALLY ANGRY ABOUT EVIL.
>>
>>48541649

>as just something to do

You're dedicated to it, you just haven't been fully sworn in. You're just in training. You're not a full fledged Paladin yet but you're trying to prove that you still have the same convictions etc. that they all do.

You're still part of that oath.
>>
>>48541520
>>48541649
Why didn't Ranger get an equivalent ability? I bet that would solve most of the griping (both Paladin dip gripe and Ranger weak gripe).
>>
>>48541678
Godbound from Sine Nomine. And I ran a test session, and I like it; it's cool. I just don't want to run it...
>>
>>48541725
Ask someone else to DM.
>>
>>48541713
They spend spell slots on Primeval Awareness.
>>
>>48541713
Paladin dips wold be unaffected, and giving it to ranger would make pally less unique even if it sort of fixes it.
>>
>>48541707
Sure. But the training could be like indoctrination if you want to play it that way. It's all high concept stuff now. The clerics are simple.

>>48541725
Oh... I heard that was a fucking terrible game. Haven't played it though.
>>
>>48541705
That combo makes total sense to me. Maybe you meet some lawful types along the way and find you like the way they think. As long as there's an established catalyst why not?
>>
>>48541626
>>48541657
>BREAKING YOUR OATH
>A paladin tries to hold to the highest standards of conduct, but even the most virtuous paladin is fallible. Sometimes the right path proves too demanding, sometimes a situation calls for the lesser of two evils, and sometimes the heat of emotion causes a paladin to transgress his or her oath.
>A paladin who has broken a vow typically seeks absolution from a cleric who shares his or her faith or from another paladin of the same order. The paladin might spend an all night vigil in prayer as a sign of penitence, or undertake a fast or similar act of self denial. After a rite of confession and forgiveness, the paladin starts fresh.
>If a paladin willfully violates his ar her oath and shows no sign of repentance, the consequences can be more serious. At the DM's discretion, an impenitent paladin might be forced to abandon this class and adopt another, or perhaps to take the Oathbreaker paladin option that appears in the Dungeon Master's Guide.
You never, ever lose your class features. Falling in 5e is role played for absolution, or the DM removes their class levels (assuredly for something else) or gives them the designated "this is the fallen paladin oath" oath. Seriously, if you just remove class features like earlier editions you are just being an asshole.
>>
>>48541810
I feel like any paladin would think about what they would swear in their oath for quite a while before taking it, the point is just that if they are heading towards Devotion but decide last minute to do Ancients instead that should be reflected in the character changing their mind.
>>
>>48541750
Do they? How often does "I need to know if a type of creature is within 1 mile but not where they are." come up compared to "I need to deal more damage."?
>>
So me and my friends are starting a game up for our first times here soon. I really want to play a certain class, but there isn't one equitable in 5E. However, Pathfinder has it.

Can you use Pathfinder classes in 5E? Should I even pick a weird class for my first time, or just choose a core class to learn the ropes?
>>
>>48541810
The game itself is pretty awesome. A decade ago, I'd have loved it, because its so over-the-top.

I've mellowed in my old age, though, so it just doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>48541894
Say what the class is, sperg
>>
File: 1466221593434.jpg (53KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1466221593434.jpg
53KB, 500x384px
>reading through Curse of Strahd
>literally the beginning of the story, characters meet the first quest-giver
>next 100 fucking pages all detail every single room of Strahd's castle and the final battle

Is it humanly possible to lay this out in a worse order?
>>
>>48541705
Sounds like what you want is simply an oath of vengeance. You literally becoming an angel of death at level 20, while the channel divinities involve shouting out denunciations of heresy at foes and throughout you get better at relentlessly hunting down heretics.

Going into barbarian may actually limit your ability to smite fools as raging stops spellcasting abilities, but it does sense if you want to go full retard when it comes to fighting evil.
>>
That DW troll must hate that the game's co-creator is a 5e DM on JP's channel.
>>
>>48541894

You definitely can't directly translate a class from 3.PF to 5e.

What class is it?
>>
>>48541927
The first quest giver not only mentions where they want to go, but the book tells you the reference chapter. The book is laid out in the order you would run into things along the Old Stravovich road.
>>
>>48541906
>>48541956
Alchemist.
>>
>>48541948
>Implying he likes either of the games.
>>
>>48541978
There's a few homebrew Alchemist classes floating around; I've seen a couple that are alright, balance-wise. Ask your DM if you can use one of them.
>>
>>48541936
Vengeance and Devotion work.

>>48541948
>>48541980
Don't even bother.
>>
>>48541878
>level 20 Paladin willingly breaks his oath
>DM lets him be a level 20 Sorcerer right on the spot

Not how it works, sempai.
>>
>>48541894
See if you can make it an archetype. Boil it down to its core features, simplify and power up/down those features, stick 'em in an existing class where it fits pretty well. It might even exist already--check the big list of homebrew in the first post.

But it depends on the class. What do you want to play?
>>
>>48541878
idk why you think this proves your point.
idk what
>If they break their Oah as the DM red it they become an Oathbreaker.
means, because its an abortion of a sentence. but 1) what you quoted doesn't say you necessarily become an oathbreaker, and 2) what you quoted DOES say that you may have to abandon the class and adopt another, i.e. you may need to become a fighter instead of a paladin or some such.
>>48541698
real recognize real.
>>
File: Eberron.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Eberron.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48541978
Then Artificer.
>>
>>48542037
Ew. That artificer sucks.
>>
>>48541936
Rage does stop spellcasting, but I noticed the Smite class feature isn't a spellcast, it uses a slot to use the feature, so I wager it would be up to my DM if I could smite while raging.

I do wanna run a Witch Hunter Vengance pally someday though... I just wanna run around slapping fools with a Greatsword while screaming "DEUS VULT!!"
>>
>>48541978
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QrzQDug1r3VIB1DniwDinpLsRGrVEZWsCx1tCL-MzzU

I like this conversion.
>>
>>48541894
The fact that you have to ask shows you're not very familiar with 5e. Just take one of the provided classes until you've learned the ruleset, then you can start thinking about homebrew.
>>
>>48541978
If you aren't sure about any of the homebrews, you can always use rogue as a template and make a point to your DM that you're an alchemist. He'll probably let you stock up on poisons and makeshift grenades but it's not even close to what you'd get in 3.5
>>
>>48541881
Depends on the campaign. DMs tend to not care too much about the adventuring aspect of the game, which is what makes Rangers stand out so much.
>>
>>48542052

I think it'd work and is kind of a cool class concept.
>>
>>48542004
Literally how it works if the DM removes Paladin levels.
>>48542025
But you don't lose class levels or class abilities. You tell them "no more paladin" or "you are an Oathbreaker".

There is absolutely no precedent for removing class features from paladins in 5e in any material published this edition. Forcing older edition baggage into this edition is just being a shitty DM.
>>
>>48541878
Do you even get what was said? These lines explicitly state you will lose all Paladin class powers.
>"BUT YOU'LL SWITCH TO SOMETHING ELSE!"
And?
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 825x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 825x667px
>>48542141
Thanks buddy, you're a pretty cool dude.

To be fair, I've been playing a Barbarian/Paladin Multiclass in this lil phone rpg at work, muh gawd is it hilarious.
>>
>>48542171
Where does it say you lose class abilities? Because it literally says nothing about losing class abilities. At all. Not even a little.
>>
>>48542143
>I don't care about trying to save people anymore
>wait, how do I swing swords again?
>damn, this armor is feeling heavy
>thank God I also happen to have magic in my blood that's somehow never come up and am equally adept with manipulating arcane forces though it's my first time ever using them

Why doesn't everyone just go Paladin?

Whenever you get bored, you can just renounce your oath and trade all your levels to a whole new class! :^)
>>
>>48542002
Devotions follows the theme too, but it's way less offensively orientated.

>>48542052
Huh yeah, I didn't think about that. Looks like divine smite would work fine when raging. I'd go around 13/7 paladin/barbarian then, off-classing to barbarian after level 5.
>>
>>48542268
So fucking use a different option instead of lazily defaulting to a different edition's rule book.
>>
>>48542268
Then you become an Oathbreaker. How could you not understand the purpose of the Oathbreaker? It's in the name. It's for oathbreakers. They become Oathbreakers. That's a pretty simple logical progression, I think. Where is it losing you?
>>
>>48542247
>"an impenitent paladin might be forced to abandon this class and adopt another"
The whole point of a class is their abilities. Why the fuck would a DM make you stack Paladin classes with another class abilities, or start you at a new class and let you keep your old abilities and class levels at only the cost of ceasing progression in the Paladin class?

What are you even arguing?

>>48542350
A DM is not required to grant the Oathbreaker class. That implies the point is as a reward for you roleplaying the break and aftermath really well.
>>
>>48542000
>>48542037
>>48542059

Thanks.

>>48542093
>Should I even pick a weird class for my first time...
>>
>>48542350
They forgot what edition this thread is about?
>>
>>48542350
>>48542292
It's not losing me, it's losing you. It's at the DM's discretion what happens to them. /5eg/ always tries to find ways to game the system, but 5e doesn't have concrete rules on falling: it's strictly at the DM's discretion.
>>
>>48542429
It's only partially GM's discretion. You have to be Evil to be an Oathbreaker.
>>
>>48542398
"Abandon your class" means you either: 1)you cannot be a paladin or 2)you cannot gain any more power as a paladin.

There is no way to twist English into meaning "you keep you proficiency bonus, skills, training, saves, etc. but your class abilities don't work."

Do you force paladins to be LG too?
>>
>>48542429
This guy is correct, but is arguing with trolls.
>>
>>48542448
Alignment is also at the DM's discretion.
>>
>>48542399
Like I suggested earlier, you might just go Rogue and dabble in alchemist crafting. Rogue is a fun class in this edition. You can deal solid damage and also specialize in out of combat stuff if you feel like it.
>>
File: 1426287313856.png (188KB, 359x509px) Image search: [Google]
1426287313856.png
188KB, 359x509px
>>48542471
>"Abandon your class" means you either: 1)you cannot be a paladin or 2)you cannot gain any more power as a paladin.
It only means the second option if you're a fucking moron.
>>
>>48542566
Great, so you've established they have to change their paladin levels with a different class, or if you want to be the shittiest DM in the universe revoke their levels.

Or use the designated oath for Paladins that break their fucking oaths.
>>
>>48542620
If they're not evil they aren't going to be an Oathbreaker. What paladin wouldn't just seek to repent and keep their abilities? What rational DM wouldn't give a Paladin a substitute post-break class of Fighter if they didn't want to give them Oathbreaker? Why are we arguing here?
>>
>>48542733
I agree with you, but the anons up thread feel that a paladin should lose all class abilities if they fall like it's 2002.
>>
>>48542828

If they stop following their vows because they're trying to cheese out a Paladin multiclass without any of the Paladin commitments then fuck yeah I'm taking away your abiliites (which was what the entire conversation was originally about). It would be like a Cleric who constantly talks shit about their god, or a Druid who hates nature.
>>
I asked last night but the thread got fairly slow.

In about 3 weeks I'm set to take over as DM for my group. I'm coming into a group where our previous DM didn't use attunment rules, had us roll 4D6, reroll 1s, drop the lowest for stats, had magic items readily available, etc. However I'd like to stick to a bit more of a lower power game - traditional point buy, attunment rules, so on and so forth. Has anyone had any experience transitioning a fairly 'spoiled' group so to speak back down to more normal levels? How did it go?
>>
>>48543438

Just be upfront with them. Maybe be prepared to compromise.
>>
>>48543517

I've already talked about it with everyone - they seem pretty OK with it . I just hope they learn to adjust their tactics and gameplay. Currently most of our fights are just against 1 CR higher single monsters and we tend to stand in and swing at it. I really want to DM much more interesting (if less prevalent) combat encounters with more groups, terrain, etc.
>>
How exactly does the UA Ranger work? Do you just replace the first 5 levels with the UA ranger or do you add the features listed?
>>
Do you guys think WotC will do something with Devils soon? muh Asmodeus stats bros.
>>
>>48533913
You could have your character try to be as civil as possible, all in all a noble gentleman, but he uncontrollably flies into a bloodthirsty rage on the battlefield. He has a conflict between trying to contain his anger or being strong enough to protect his friends.

Or if you don't want to go the barbarian route at all, you could make him not as strong as most orcs like a runt of the litter, but natural talent in shamanism and diplomacy (i. e. a cleric or some other magic user). You can try to unite the orcs and bring peace to the tribes.
>>
>>48533913
Be like a viking. You can be a craftsman and trader who also happens to raid and pillage villages.
>>
>>48541191
For players, the type is humanoid, not undead.
>>
>>48543672
It's a completely new class, a re-do of the ranger. You could technically multiclass it with the normal ranger I guess, by normal multiclassing rules, and most GMs would allow just taking normal rangers from level 6-20.

Note though, that the class is considered OP and is not recommended to use, with its two strong saves, 2d6 hit dice, and one of the best non-scaling features in the game at level 2.
>>
>>48543782
>"Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proved equally popular."
From WotC's setting poll.
All they have left to do is Eberron, DS, and PS. I'm assuming they'll drop Planescape last of those three, and devils will be guaranteed there.
>>
>>48544304
What do you think is coming after Storm King's Thunder? Curse Of Strahd was a huge sucess, but i'm not sure WotC would risk going far from FR again.
>>
>>48543410
Except when you train for years to be a knight and choose a new direction for your path you don't lose your training and conviction you just develop differently and never grow in power as a paladin. Or you force them into a different class instead of being an "I am teh law" DM who references other D&D editions as theri inspiration for being a sperg.
>>
So an odd question.

What are some non-magical things that a bunch of lowish-level low magic guys could do with fire? Why? Well we're currently playing a street gang and we've gotten through a couple of high profile encounters using fire as part of our tactics (burning down a building and whipping fire bombs). Since a lot of the gangs in the city have little gimmicks we kind of want to run with a sort of lesser fire gimmick.

Anyway we want some fun fiery tricks that we and our gang members could easily pull off. Shit thats useful but also shit that's just nice and showy.

I say stuff that can ideally be done without magic but we do technically have some magic, a druid (who are pretty fiery in most editions) so if you do have a good idea that requires magic feel free to add it.
>>
>>48544441
I think they might go Dark Sun. Underdark worked pretty well, Strahd capitalized on vampires being en vogue again, and Dark Sun would nail the post-apoc desert feel revitalized in Fury Road.

If they went Eberron next I'd be disappointed because they're going down a grimdark-ish road and that could be a departure from that stride (I like Eberron though)
>>
>playing a badass loner with a heart of gold
>ex badguy wants my character's dick
>other player's character has received my dick
>not sure if I should bother having feelings
>or just fuck around
>>
>>48544461
Pyrotechnics is the first thing that comes to mind. Nice and flashy. And practicality wise, that means you can use it to draw attention.
>>
>>48544461
Creating a decent flame is a cantrip for a Druid. For non-mages, use flint and tinder and flammable materials. Lighting shit on fire is as easy as it is in reality.

>>48544590
Do what your character would do.
>>
Is there any ability or feat that improves the chances of a critical attack? I vaguely remember some skill that reduces the crit threshold to 19
>>
>>48544794
Champion fighters do it.
>>
>>48544446

I'm not saying "If a paladin multiclasses he falls", but if he puts his word to something and then decides "oh wait, I have magic blood fuck what I said before lol" then why would you keep the powers that hinged ENTIRELY on you keeping those vows you made that you decided you didn't wanna bother with anymore because you didn't have to?

I'd find a way to give you those two levels back but if you're not gonna act like a Paladin in some way or another then you're not going to be a Paladin because acting like a paladin is what makes a paladin a paladin. It's literally the fluff of the class.
>>
>>48544794
Chimps and magical weapons are the only ones I've seen, it wouldn't be unreasonable for a feat even if it becomes core for barbs with ASIs left over.
>>
>>48544845
if crit range improvement was a feat every character with a weapon would take it
>>
Remind me, what is bad about savage attacker exactly again?
>>
New thread >>48544986
>>
>>48544977
- It only applies to the weapon's damage dice.
- It can only be done once per turn.
- The average damage increase is something like 2 damage on the highest-damage-dice weapons.
- It provides *no* other benefits besides this.
- The rerolling slows down gameplay for pitiful returns.
Thread posts: 353
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.