[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Never Made a General Before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 25

File: Kuo-Toans.png (1MB, 1608x1324px) Image search: [Google]
Kuo-Toans.png
1MB, 1608x1324px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Ye Olde Thread
>>48506558

Why haven't you done anything fun with Kuo-TOans yet?
>>
>>48516302
Because I've got no game.
>>
>>48516357
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171229/Fishing-for-Gods-in-Strades-Gallows

Here's a really fun adventure that involves Kuo-Toas worshiping one of the PCs. My group had a lot of fun with it.
>>
But I did. I used them in my first custom dungeon.

The PCs found a large black meteor in a crater-formed lake. It was carved open by some Basilisks and a Bulette, and was now home to a Medusa, who guarded over the prison of the avatar of a death god foreign to the PC's world.

The avatar of the death god's prison would lay claim to mortals who approached it, and those mortals would strengthen the prison from within. The avatar communed with the Medusa, and convinced the Medusa to keep mortals out until such a time as a party strong enough to free the avatar could be summoned. Because of the Medusa's curse, the medusa could not herself enter the prison.

However, the Kuo-Tua, being religously attuned, felt the death god's presence, and burrowed under the meteor from the Underdark. However, they were weak, and would not have been able to free the avatar, only strengthen its prison.

My PC's negotiated with the Medusa, killing the Kuo-Tua and freeing the avatar. The avatar, the Medusa, and the undead, animated Kuo-Tua then headed off to the Underdark, to spread the death god's cult.

At some point there's gonna be a whole lot of zombie fishmen who are gonna show up.
>>
>>48516302
I had fun watching Demogorgon decimate them in OotA, but that's about it.
>>
>>48516418
That sounds crazy fun.
>>
>>48516431

It was. I can't wait to design my next dungeon, but I have to find the time to build it. It all came about because one of my players, a Necromancer, misread the cosmologies and started worshipping Nehrul, the death god from Greyhawk. I thought the idea of an invading Death God was cool, and ran with it.
>>
>>48516302
In one of the first games I DMd I scared the shit out of my players with a well placed kuo-toa encounter on a rocky island with a haunted lighthouse on it. I gave him elevated stats and put sharks in the water around him and he was supposed to grapple the players and toss them in. He managed to do it to the DB fighter but her armorclass was so high they couldn't make a dent, and the monk ended up killing him pretty quickly. It was an easy encounter, but it stressed them way the hell out.
>>
I wish I could play a game of D&D at least once. But since every game I find has like +100 people wanting to join and also I have 0 experience I think I will never be able to play this game, fuck this.
>>
Running a drinking game tonight and I wanna do it as a one-off adventure. I'm thinking that it should take place in an inn designed for adventurers in a dungeon, and that one of the ideas is that the God of Celebrations has taken over. What fun encounters or ideas could I toss in?
>>
>>48516495
Hit up roll20.
If not that, get a group of mates together and steal Lost Mines to run that.
>>
>>48516551
I don't think I would like to play with some of my friends; they all live in a Dominican Republic and there is WAAAY to much noise in the streets. Like there is a car that pass 3-4 times a day with a megaphone selling crap, and also general car noises.
>>
>>48516418
Neat. But uh, what part of their actions were considered by them to be a good idea?
>>
What class would you base a homebrew Sha'ir on?
>>
>>48516610
They seem to be called wizards mostly, but a warlock would fit if you gave them a genie pact.
>>
Who is your BBEG and what is their plot?
>>
>>48516610
What do they do and how do they do it?
>>
>>48516608

All my players are new, and I waived that whole 'no evil characters' thing on the condition that they maintain team cohesion and use common sense when dealing with locals/authorities. So far it's working well enough. None of them are serious roleplayers, just murderhoboes looking for a good time.
>>
>>48516663
I'm about to DM a campaign soon and the BBEG I'm creating is an Elvish Wizard who plans on destroying his home city to get revenge on his brother. He has no access to magic since it has been sealed and will instead use the players to help him regain his power through deception. He blames his brother for the death of his beloved.
>>
>>48516715
Forget being good, messing with death gods seems to go against simple self interest. What did they get out of it?
>>
>>48516519
Have the inn come to life as mugs, tables, and chairs, all gain awakened stats. Throw in some mimics as bosses or a rug of smothering.

As for the drinking game I hope you play when someone gets a kill the killer drinks, and on a natural 20 everyone drinks. If you die finish your drink. If you are rezed you bring the healer a drink as you get a new bottle.
>>
>>48516663
There is no BBEG in my game, only powerful NPCs with their own agendas.
>>
I want to pull a twist on my players, here's how I'm going about it. Would love ideas to make it better.

>Barbarian found a "Blackrazor-Lite".
>The sentience doesn't always work.
>It's actually more of a tuning fork / one way communication device with Cyric, but because of good roleplay and bad rolls, the half-orc barbarian thinks its Gruumsh speaking directly to him
>He's convincing the barbarian that the gods are bad, and they need to kill them.
>Been slowly buffing up the sword with each temple destroyed so far (one shrine to Tiamat, one to Bhaal)
>Planning on granting a "vision" from the sword, to go to unnamed and unmarked temples to destroy, promising more power
>Each temple is actually a lock or seal, the sword is the key.

That's how far into this plot I've gotten, any suggestions for how to cap it off or things to think of to throw to my players?
>>
>>48516901
>any suggestions for how to cap it off
With killing all the gods, obviously
>>
>>48516680
From 4e, where they were a Wizard subclass:
Sha'irs cull magical energy from the Elemental Chaos to power their spells. Rather than pore over ancient formulas and techniques, these wizards bargain with elemental powers for the magical knowledge they need. Sha'irs do not deal directly with these powers; instead, they rely on proxies, elemental spirits called gen servants, to negotiate on their behalf. Dispatching these servants to the Elemental Chaos each day, a sha'ir replenishes the necessary power and information to wield the forces of creation.
>>
I'm joining a group that consists of a monk, druid, and necromancer. What should i play?
>>
>>48516965
Barb or fighter probably. Alternatively, oathbreaker if you can get away with it.
>>
Has anyone ever used a tarrasque in your game? How'd it go?
>>
>>48516965
What kind of druid is it?
If it's Land, you might want to play someone who can take a few hits.
If it's moon, I'd go for someone with buff capability.
>>
>>48516965
Oathbreaker paladin makes a necromancer really good. Battle master fighter would help out the group synergy too if the monk is not open hand.
>>
>>48516990
>>48517103

I wanted to play a classic Paladin, but since we have Dat Guy, i think your average "I'm just in for the money" fighter will have to do.
>>
>>48516492
>oh no the DM is doing CoC shit
nah just dickin around
>>
>>48516901
This is me.

>>48517008
I might make this the end game, and have the players unknowingly complete a ritual or destroy the bindings on a Terrasque, and release that into the world.
>>
>>48517008
I used the tarrasque as the still-living body of one of the Eberron overlords. The group was successful at keeping the overlord's consciousness from reuniting with the tarrasque. It created a good sense of tension for the party because a lot of major encounters happened under circumstances where the villains could still win by breaking a seal even if they died in the process. Encounters were about more than just reducing enemy HP to 0. The tarrasque itself is pretty brutal but a party that buffs the martials can do decently against it. The tarrasque's limited mobility keeps it manageable for a group with casters who cast fly. I still kept the tension up by using it in an area where the tarrasque had buildings and terrain to knock down, climb, or jump from.
>>
>>48517343
I also might have played Blue Oyster Cult "Godzilla" during that last encounter.
>>
>>48517103
>>48516965

Maybe if they're some kind of non-evil necromancer a Paladin can both buff and be a nice front line.
>>
Fellow DMs, i need help. I have only DMed official adventures, and now that i'm trying to build something of my own, i feel a lack of creativity. I have been reading the DMG but it's not helping me much. How do you make your adventures? How do you set the pace? What about combat? How much is enough?
>>
>>48517493
Steal from other sources. I made the first session of my new campaign the hospital escape scene from mgsv. None of my players have played that game so they have no idea I ripped everything off and they all thought it was a lot of fun
>>
>>48517478
The oathbreaker has an aura that buffs undead damage.

Also evil isn't that hard to roleplay in a cooperative manner if the DM doesn't think evil = moustache-twirling Bond villain.

"I like hurting people who get between me and money."
"I have evil aspirations but I know I cannot achieve them alone."
etc.
>>
>>48517554

Oathbreaker is possible but might be kind of a difficult stretch since it's not really designed as a player class. I just think a typical Paladin won't work well with a Necromancer.

Actually, I could see an Oath of Vengeance working with an evil necromancer if it means they get to kill even greater evil. ends justifying the means and what not.
>>
>>48517611
Oathbreaker is "not really designed as a player class" in the sense that the 5e designers assumes everyone is non-evil and an evil PC could never function in a group. An oathbreaker doesn't have to be repentant at all and could even be a former oath of vengeance paladin. Maybe breaking the oath in one instance even served the oath of vengeance in some greater capacity that has not been realized yet. 5e has freed everyone from being that one specific paladin personality that has to care about everything.

Oath of vengeance is much stronger than oathbreaker on an individual level though.
>>
>>48517493
Roll on those adventure/campaign generation tables in the DMG. No, really, I've never tried it and I want to see what happens.
>>
>>48517493
watch the DM tips that mathew mercer did on critical role
>>
What sorts of fun patrons, encounters and rooms could I put into a Tavern/Inn built in a megadungeon? The Inn itself is going to be large enough to almost be its own dungeon.
>>
>>48517493
My favorite thing to do is open the MM to a random page and pick out a monster. Consider where it lives, why it might live there, what could it's lair possibly contain? Then slowly build out the surrounding area. Maybe there's a town nearby being plagued by it, and the party is tasked with clearing it out. Think up some NPC's to fill up the town. Think of where the village sits in relation to other nearby towns or cities. Voila, you now have an adventure and the skeleton of a world, fill it up as you see fit.

No joke, pinterest actually has a shitload of character and monster art for inspiration if the MM doesn't do it for you.
>>
>>48518000
How the fuck does an inn, much less a giant inn, survive in a fucking dungeon? Who goes there? Who works there? How does it supply itself? Is its back door a gate to Sigil? Because that's the only explanation I can think of.
>>
>>48518044
It's basically an inn for monsters. It was created by a lich who had nothing better to do. It's full of illithids, drow, and all other sorts of creatures just trying to have some fun.

It's for a more comedic adventure that doesn't take itself too seriously.
>>
>>48518000
If there aren't Dire Rats in the cellar that the barkeep needs cleared out, you're doing it wrong.

>>48518044
Maybe the dungeon inhabitants frequent the bar to take a load off after a long day of patrolling their corridors. Use your imagination man, it's a fantasy game.
>>
>>48518096
>>48518121
So there's a Christmas Truce kind of vibe in the inn? Adventurers and monsters sit at the same counter knowing that they'll be right back to killing each other tomorrow morning?
>>
>>48518000
Someone should be hopelessly lost trying to find their room. Some of the more distant rooms from the main room should have occupants who refuse to leave and have fortified their positions. They occasionally strike out in attempt to rob resources from other patrons.

>>48518121
Of course there are dire rats, because those conditions are perfect for growing fungus and aging cheese.
>>
>>48518216
The innkeeper obviously needs heavily armed bellhops for room service in those conditions.
>>
>>48517719
>>48517611
The idea is that they buff the undead that the necromancer makes. Wouldn't be as good else.
>>
>>48518186
I would be totally okay with that.

>>48518216
>>48518236
I now have a strong urge to see an ogre in a bellhop's uniform, tiny hat and all.
>>
What are some good spells (other than Haste) for bards to get using Magical Secrets? I plan on playing a lore bard in the next season of AL.
>>
>>48518121
Oh there are totally gonna be dire rats
the twist is that they just wanted to party too

>>48518186
Yep, Adventurers slip into the inn and have a drink with some bugbears, but the moment they walk out that door they're gonna be at each others' throats again.

>>48518216
Good ideas, I'll be sure to toss those in.

>>48518253
>I now have a strong urge to see an ogre in a bellhop's uniform, tiny hat and all.
This is now happening.
>>
Is it just me or is Critical Role the Chad of rpg videos?
>>
>>48518271
If your DM allows it, the Paladin class's Aura spells are pretty good.
>>
>>48518271
Revivify is pretty helpful. Or Fireball if support spells are beneath you.
>>
>>48518306
>>48518313

Okay I'll look into those thank you. I have yet to play a caster in 5E so I haven't really explored the depths of spellcasting.

And support isn't beneath me - so far our party has been coming along fairly balanced which is nice, so I'll leave the blasting to the wizard.
>>
>>48518441
Make sure to clear the Paladin spells first. They're balanced around not being given to a full caster, so their level isn't as high as it should be.
>>
>>48518470
Everyone says that because they're excited that they can squeeze some kind of advantage out of it, but if you actually look at the paladin and ranger spell list and compare them to full casters' spells of the same level, they're actually worse a lot of the time. 3rd-level paladin spells are not the equivalent of 5th-level wizard spells, or even 3rd-level wizard spells. They're minor supplements to a class that is mostly about hitting shit with swords and will probably spend all its spell slots on smiting anyway.
>>
>>48516492
>DB fighter but her armorclass was so high

Was she wearing armor? Did she take the swim skill? I guess its athletics in 5e though... Usually falling in the water in armor is death by drowning.
>>
>>48518253
Needs a Fomorian with the tiny hat and a monocle
>>
>>48517719
>5e has freed everyone from being a paladin but you can still use the class features.

ftfy.
>>
>>48518629
Aura of Vitality is pretty good for a 3rd level healing spell, to be fair. And it looks a lot better at 6th level (Lore Bard secret) than at 9th level (Paladin)

>>48518676
A well spoken Goblin concierge with a monocle and a uniform directing the Ogres and Fomorians, perhaps?
>>
>>48518294
The innkeeper needs an imprisoned troll with scars all over him. Also the inn's specialty is a funny-colored sausage that the innkeeper never seems to run out of even though no one ever sees meat delivered.

Soylent green is trolls!
>>
How screwed should my player be?

>Strength check to lift 2 barrels of oil over his head
>Rolls 1
>Drops barrel and one breaks covering him and his brother in oil.
>5 minutes later they want to throw barrels of oil at groups of cultists and light them on fire from an elevated position
>They are fighting a CR5 Red Dragonborn Sorcerer.
> Player *IS* going to be lit on fire.

How would I rule this? We're opening up the next situation with the bad guy retaliating and opening combat like this.
>>
Ive started to run Phandelver with a bunch of total noobs, none in the party is a healer which i can see becoming a problem.

What would be the best way for me to implement an npc healbot to maybe help them out. I was thinking something like a pathfinder oracle who cant speak to kinda counteract me metagaming myself, but not sure of how to do this for 5e
>>
>>48518823
Disadvantage to the saving throw of the spell that lights him on fire and on checks to put the fire out. Maybe an extra die of damage.
>>
>>48518823
Check the rules for alchemist's fire and oil flasks in the adventuring equipment section of the PHB. Considering the player is probably covered completely in oil I would be inclined to bump up the damage a bit.
>>
>>48518872
A dedicated healer isn't really necessary. You just need someone who can cast Healing Word/Cure Wounds to get dying people back up. Short rests should cover the rest of the healing just fine.
>>
>>48518872
Just throw them some extra potions of healing now and again.
>>
>>48518872
>>48518910
Don't make a full character if you're going to make an NPC. Do something like a benevolent sprite or pixie variant that has a couple of weak healing spells.
>>
>>48518872

If you really want to help them out, then a local low-level acolyte should be sufficient. Just give them cure light wounds and healing word as their only spells, make them overly dedicated to the church so they don't know anything about the mines.
>>
>>48518731
>aura of vitality
Eh. Using a third-level spell slot and for in-combat healing is dubious at best. Waste of a spell slot, waste of an action, and waste of concentration, which adds up to a waste of a magical secret.
>>
>>48518936
You don't use aura of vitality in combat. You do it while you're wandering around or resting because it's extremely efficient healing.
>>
>>48518775
Definitely using this one.
>>
>>48518936
20d6 healing out of combat for a 3rd level slot is pretty nice. I can think of much better things to be doing with concentration in combat, like ordering around my horde of animated flying daggers.
>>
>>48518891
I feel like that's.....not enough.

>>48518902
> I would be inclined to bump up the damage a bit.

Alchemist Fire is only 1d4 per round....what would be a good number?
>>
>>48519015
If that's not enough, you're really trying to kill the player. Disadvantage on saves at low levels sucks. He'll have a very hard time putting the fire out as is, and much more will be guaranteed death if a CR5 NPC is supposed to be a big deal to this group already.
>>
>>48519047
They're level 8, with a generous amount of magic items given out early in the campaign because I came from 3.5 (+1 weapons, +2 ammo, Elven Cloak, Manta Ray Cloak, homebrew magic instruments, etc. etc.).

They are a STOUT level 8 group of 5 players.
>>
>>48519015
you really underestimate disadvantage
>>
>>48519101
Oh then boost the damage to something like 6d4 or 4d6 at the start of each of his turns, give disadvantage on the saves and checks to put the fire out. Double up the conditions to put the fire out, like 2 rounds of being immersed in water, 2 rounds rolling on the ground, etc.
>>
>>48519000
>>48518954
If you're out of combat, you could always rest and save the 3rd-level spell slot for something that not everyone gets for free.
>>
File: 5f4.jpg (23KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
5f4.jpg
23KB, 680x383px
Couple things
Balancing the Ranger:
I know Ranger is pretty widely regarded as the worst class in 5e. They get advantage on Survival and intelligence checks vs. their favored enemies and several bonuses in their favored terrain. Would balancing them be as simple as giving them advantage on attacks vs their favored enemies, and advantage on Hide and perception check in their favored terrain? These are significant buffs that don't break flavor and don't seem too powerful.

Also, I have a job that gives me long periods of random down time. As a forever DM that runs two games, I don't get much opportunity to play, what's the best method for me to play an impromptu 2-3 hour text one shots?
>>
>>48519148
Yeah, it's situational. Sometimes a group gets run really hard or gets unlucky and their hit dice aren't sufficient. Depends on the party role, really. Conjure animals and Shield are my go-tos. Shield is just that good that I'd take a level 1 and save my Cutting Words for other people.
>>
>>48518637
We were all pretty new and didnt bother with certain rules. We just wanted to have fun.
>>
>>48519148
We don't tend to get that many free rests at my table, so I guess I value healing magic more than some people would.

>>48519015
I'd go with 1d8/round and use the normal rolls for quenching it. Unless it's like some absurdly flammable phosphorous/gasoline/nitro mixture or something like that, it's not going to be doing a ridiculous amount of damage. It's still just oil, regardless of what level your players are at.
>>
>>48518637
>Usually falling in the water in armor is death by drowning.
In 5e, swimming requires no check unless you are swimming long distances or through rough waters.

Heavy armor has no RAW penalties wrt swimming.
>>
>>48519015
1d4 is enough to kill a regular person.
I'd say 2d4 at most, no reason for it to be any higher.
Even if there is a reason it'll probably lead to consequences you and your group don't want.
>>
>>48519225
That's reasonable out of combat, same as climb checks.
But in combat I'd put checks in. I wouldn't necessarily over penalise heavily armored characters though.
>>
File: 1292298383162720.jpg (13KB, 481x319px) Image search: [Google]
1292298383162720.jpg
13KB, 481x319px
So, I love 5e, but there are a few rules I have issues with. If I'm reading this correctly, my jacked as fuck barbarian heman can survive off of one pound of food every seven days with no ill effects?
>>
>>48517478
Any pally worth his salt in most settings will not tolerate necromancy or the undead. period.
>>
>>48519341
>my jacked as fuck barbarian heman can survive off of one pound of food every seven days with no ill effects
If you've got 18 Constitution, sure.
>>
>>48519341
That would be correct, assuming your DM follows the rules as written.
>>
>>48519365
Depends what God they serve or what oaths they take.
Vengeance for one wouldn't necessarily be against necromancy.
>>
>>48519365
I had a good aligned necromancer I played once. He was a funeral director with extreme reverence for the dead. Every intelligent creature we kill, he insisted on some form of burial if possible(even if it was only covering them with a blanket), He would always ask the corpse for it's permission(he usually took "not saying no" as consent), and he would typically use his power to help a person fulfill last requests( usually getting justice for their murder). Animating monsters was never a moral problem, they were horrible abominations in life, so having their corpses perform good deeds was almost a forced atonement for their evil.
>>
>>48519420
>>48519429
Coming from someone that believes fifth ed is the best D&D so far. That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>48519509
I wholeheartedly agree, which is why I'm glad I've never had to enforce rules for eating with my group. I prefer to rule it as eating a proper meal reduces the count by one, rather than reducing it to 0.
>>
>>48519365

An Oath of Vengeance "ends justify the means" type Paladin who works with a Necromancer to take down greater evils seems fine to me.
>>
>>48519490
>he usually took "not saying" no as consent
What a nice guy

>Animating monsters was never a moral problem, they were horrible abominations in life, so having their corpses perform good deeds was almost a forced atonement for their evil
Oh yeah? What about monsters without free will or are just following instincts? And what about goblins and other humanoids that are literally retarded and only do evil stuff because they are bullied around by their higher ups?
>>
>>48519634
That was the character's view of the situation. He believed he was acting altruistically and performed all of his actions with the best intentions. I gave you a brief overview of his morality, but he was chaotic good, so it was far from a rigid moral structure. He approached every situation with good intentions, and pursued a good overall out come. Also, my DM isn't a retard, so spells didn't have alignment descriptors.
>>
>>48519632
>"ends justify the means" type Paladin

Thats literally not a Paladin. A Paladin doesn't take the easy road, the ends don't justify the means, he stands as an example of justice and good even when its inconvenient.

I don't really feel like getting into this arguement again though, you new age paladin folk can play your faggy anti-heroes that embody exactly what a paladin isn't.
>>
>>48516302
I actually HAVE used Kuo-Toa, and it was one of the funniest adventures for my group.
The adventurer's were investigating disappearances around a creepy isolated costal hamlet that wasn't friendly with strangers. In addition, during the evenings strange fish-men shapes were seen to come ashore according to nearby fishermen from other villages.
The players naturally assume an Innsmouth-style situation of course.
The truth is a play on the concept; the fishing villagers were secretly worshippers of Bhall and were capturing and EATING the Kuo-Toa, and the fish men coming ashore at night was them attacking in night raids in retaliation. The Kuo-Toa originally had begun praying on the village and their local priests were of no help, but the violence-proficient worshippers of Bhall were, so the village sided with them. The entire thing escalated from there and the casualties outside of the town were from Bhall cultists capturing and sacrificing people and Kuo-Toans killing fishermen because they couldn't tell the difference.
>>
>>48519749
Not really a part of this argument at all, but there were only twelve paladins and no more then that ever, and that's what a paladin actually was.
>>
>>48519749

It could be a Paladin. Just a severely misguided Paladin.

5e is a lot more lenient on these rules after all.
>>
>>48519749
Your old pigeon holed paladins were boring and lame. A paladin is a zealot that sacrifices himself to higher cause. That's it. The "lawful good" alignment requirement was dumb as hell.
>>
>>48519749
This is bait.

There's more than one kind of paladin now. Deal with it grognard.
>>
>>48519807
I'm an old 2e player and I STILL think he'd bring rigid as fuck.
Never actually got to play Pally in 2e though, never could roll the right stats high enough in any of my games.
>>
File: charlie.jpg (480KB, 1517x2048px) Image search: [Google]
charlie.jpg
480KB, 1517x2048px
I think this argument is terribly silly.
>>
Con save to not gain a level exhaustion after frenzy barbarian, or con save to lose 2 levels of exhaustion after a long rest? Which would you prefer, or neither? Or both?
>>
>>48519884
What would make sense for your character.
>>
>>48519911
I like the con save for exhaustion but I'm asking if either of them are balanced, relative to the other options barbarians have.
>>
>>48519750
Damn, so many layers. i'm stealing this.
>>
>>48519857
The game has been open to DM's interpretation of things for as long as I've played. Even in 2e there were DMs who tweaked stuff and let things be cool.
>>
>only need 1 lb. of food per day
>Rations (1 day) are 2 lb.
>>
>>48519911
>>48519937
Actually I like the con save for 2 levels of exhaustion, cause I don't want to take the risk away with using frenzy
>>
>>48519952
And even in 5e theres still DM's that maintain the Lawful Good requirement. There are plenty of other options for playing judge dread zealots, paladins should be lawful good for the same reasons that a barbarian shouldn't RP as a bookworm highborn scholar.
>>
>>48519719
i made this cool character he goes around raping and murdering people but has a different view of morality so hes lawful good paladin
>>
>>48520001
So, because you said so? Good argument.

The Oath of Devotion Paladin is right there for the LG-only fags.
>>
Ok fatties, how can i build Geralt Of Rivia without homebrew?
>>
>>48520001
>he doesn't roleplay noble scholars with supernaturally bad anger issues
You're free to play characters the way you want to. You're even free to tell other people that they're objectively wrong. You're not free to expect others to listen to you when you're the one who is objectively wrong, though.
>>
>>48519945
You're welcome to.
The whole thing ended in a massive shitstorm as the Kuo-Toa rose up from the sea with some monsterous aid and the cultists went full psycho and EVERYONE was trying to kill the players, pinning them between both factions while they tried to evacuate the few people who only were with the cultists out of fear rather then loyalty.
Overnight the town ended up depopulating itself because of the massacre, becoming a spooky folklore story on the Sword Coast as the few survivors that moved into other towns never once spoke of what had happened or what they had done and seen.

The PC's went back to the inn they keep a room rented at and got shitfaced for a day, deciding to NEVER respond shady distress calls from villages they and nobody else they ask has never heard of again.
>>
>>48520050
>>48520020
People can still play oath of vengeance, its just not a Paladin, they can put zealot, or crusader, or inquisitor at the top of their sheet.

They aren't fucking Paladins though.
>>
The PHB pretty much outright says ancients paladins should probably be NG and vengeance paladins are usually LN or TN.

Just saying.
>>
>>48520099
It is a paladin. An Oath of Vengeance paladin.
>>
>>48520031
Oh, I've done this before.
Human Variant Eldritch Knight Fighter, take Magic Initiate (for the extra cantrips, basically Signs), Monster Hunter backround from Cruse of Strahd, take the Arcane skill and the Investigation skill, use a longsword as a weapon and exclusively use it in two-handed mode.

That's the Witcher training package; longsword, lightweight magic use, knowledge of magical matters and investigation skills.
If you want the super-reflexes and enhanced senses, that's a racial thing you're gonna have to homebrew, but it's been shown that aside from the reflexes and sense literally everything else a Witcher does can be taught to someone.
>>
>>48520099
Truly, it is hard to be a literal knight of Charlemagne when he doesn't even exist in your DM's chosen setting.

I'm still not sure what you have against Bruce Banner or Dr. Jekyll, though.
>>
File: OPsnewdiet.jpg (37KB, 386x345px) Image search: [Google]
OPsnewdiet.jpg
37KB, 386x345px
>>48520006
Oh look, a 15 year old faggot that just finished baby's guide to simple Kantian ethics. Please educate me, how is animating an object(dead corpse with no soul) an objectively evil deed? I bet your the type of faggot that would strip a Paladin of his powers for lying to the BBEG because "lying is bad bro".
>>
>>48520129
Jesus, do you not get it yet?
He's a troll. Even if he ISN'T a troll, you're not going to convince him of anything ya dingus.
Nobody has EVER successfully convinced someone of something they didn't want to be convinced about or had an open mind about already, and even that was NEVER done over the fucking internet for shit's sake.

Just ignore him politely and hide his posts if they bother you that much.
>>48520099
Same goes for you if you aren't a troll, just hide all posts that talk about Paladins and move on.
Like an adult.
>>
>>48520050
yes, i can roleplay as a clown barbarian who has a bowling pin club and honks his nose to activate rage, and i can tell anyone who tries to stop me that they are objectively wrong and should read the manual, and tell any DM that tries to stop me that they are restricting my player agency i don't care if it doesn't fit into their world

that doesn't mean i should
>>
>>48520170
Depends on the setting. If it rapes the beings eternal soul even on the already damned it's a harsh punishment.
>>
>>48516610
Here's an unfinished mockup:

Sha'ir (Sorcerer Archetype)

At 1st level you gain the spell find familiar. In addition your familiar can take the form of a gen servant (need stats for these). You also learn Primordial and have advantage on charisma(diplomacy) checks with elementals.

At 2nd level, as an action you can dismiss your gen servant to retrieve magic from distant planes to aid you. To do this, you spend ki points as though you were regaining a spell slot. The gen servant returns a number of minutes equal to the level of the spell. The spell can be any spell on the sorcerer spell list of the chosen level. You can cast this spell until your next long rest or you use this ability again.

At 6th level, you gain a benefit based on your gen servant. As long as it is summoned (various effects).

At 14th level, you can send your gen servant to gain more unfamiliar spells. To do this, you must pass a Diplomacy check of DC(5*spell level). If successful, the gen servant can a retrieve a spell from any spell list.

At 18th level, you can retain any spells retrieved by your gen servant, even if you use the ability again. You still lose the spells after a long rest.
>>
>>48520129
Its not a fucking Paladin. Just because an edition changed you don't get to alter the core principle, values, and persona of what a class is just because a couple of players were buttmad that someone played a paladin like shit and PvP'd their party or something.

>strip a Paladin of his powers for lying to the BBEG because "lying is bad bro".

How does the BBEG being evil make it so he doesn't have to follow his oath? Its not a fucking gray area dude. I mean stripping powers for one infraction would be a dick move but I'd definitely give the Paladin an in game warning from his deity.

>Don't Steal
>Don't Lie
>Don't Cheat
>Don't Kill Unarmed Opponents
>Protect Innocents

You could just stay silent, or not answer the question, but openly lying is breaking your oath, your word, as a Paladin your ideals should mean more than literally everything.
>>
>>48520218
What happens if no one tries to stop me and everyone enjoys the character?
>>
>>48520282
I'd agree with you, if that was actually what is written in the PHB.

However, it isn't, and so I don't.
>>
>>48520290
it's an example, just think of some other character you don't want in your game
if you can't come up with any you need to browse /tg/ more
i was just responding to the comment about a DM being objectively wrong when he shuts down a player's character idea
>>
>>48520232
I'll accept the argument that it depends on the setting, I can't think of any official setting in which this is canon and it wasn't in the campaign I played so I don't think my character was evil just because "zombies are spooky".

>>48520282

What if not lying puts innocents in danger? I can't imagine how fucking boring playing a game with you would be.
>>
>>48520282
Anon, flavor changes and not all settings work the same. Paladins aren't even required to have a deity anymore. If you want to restrict players to oath of devotion and require them to have a deity, those are your house rules, not mine.
>>
I'm considering making a Chainlock, /5eg/, anything really fancy I can do with the improved familiar aside from attacks and shit?
>>
>>48520275
Shouldn't this be an elemental warlock with gen servant as a Chain option?
>>
>>48520275
So like, I asked about designing a new spellcaster class that specializes in having a pet, a la Magician in Everquest (my only point of reference for something similar), and someone mentioned Sha'ir.

I looked at the prestige class, and some homebrews on leddit, and can't help but fucking hate the flavor for this.

Mechanically, I like it (You have a pet, are pretty much a glass cannon without it, can buff it up and make it eat monsters for lunch). That being said, I think the "use it to get magic from genies" part is fucking retarded.

How do I get around this?
>>
>>48520352
>What if not lying puts innocents in danger?

I'd find some way to keep both oaths, or die trying.
>>
>>48520351
No, it was a comment about you being objectively wrong when stating that paladins must always be lawful good just as barbarians cannot be highborn scholars.
>>
>>48520218
Reductio ad absurdum. I know this may be a tough pill to swallow, but you may be mentally retarded.
>>
>>48520218
That's a problem of tonal clash rather than that being an unacceptable idea.
In fact it's pretty good.
Also, read the players handbook lel.
>>
>>48520359
The standard shenanigans when you have an invisible, flying pet.
>>
>>48520359
Take Voice of the Chain Master and be in two places at once.
>>
>>48520359
The MM has further rules for some of the chainlock familiars. Check it out and see if your DM is okay with it.
>>
>>48520359
Scouting with the familiar is good from the warlocks I've played with, especially if it looks like a typical animal. I know that it can also do the help action and advantage on stuff is always Bueno.
>>
>>48520401
I'm the DM, I can't be objectively wrong, I have permission to change any rule that I want, alter any class I want, and to define what guidelines there are in the setting.

I'm being immature, but I'd ask that you deal with Oath of Vengeance being a called a Crusader/Zealot and Oath of Ancients being called like, a Sentinel or a Warden. Sorry but Paladins are lawful good and follow the strict set of oaths at my table and I don't care what the PHB says.
>>
>>48520412
huh? reductio ad absurdium isn't even a fallacy, it's just a form of argument, and i didn't even use it
what you just said is equivalent to "nice abductive reasoning, retard"
>>
>>48520529
Just to get in on this, the book calls them a bunch of things like holy warriors and get Knights, so having them called different things is even RAW.

As long as you aren't trying to say it's not part of the paladin class, then call it whatever you want just let me smite things.
>>
>>48520529
If that's how you want to run things at your table, then that's fine. Just don't act like other groups should abide by your house rules.
>>
Would horse riding fall under Animal Handling?

In 5e do I need to constantly make checks to fuck shit up with a lance on a warhorse if I have the mounted combat skill?

Also does the charge feat work while mounted?
>>
>>48520615
Fey Knights* Plus it always depends on the setting what they are called. They can be called Wizards in some settings.
>>
>>48520529
>I'm the DM so I can't be objectively wrong
In your own game, yeah. But you interjected into discussion about someone else's, so no.
>I'm being immature
Damn right.
>>
>>48520627
exactly, i had this shitty DM that houseruled so i couldn't make my loli warlock with a giant futa cock
>>
>>48520375
You seem to be describing something more like the Pathfinder Eidolon.
>>
>>48520637
Yes, no the check would be for doing things that require notable work with the mount, dashing through difficult terrain, making a jump over a hole, those could be animal handling checks.

And I would rule yes.
>>
>>48520529
Say that again when you actually run a game for me, alright anon?
>>
>>48520674
That's a shame, which part of the PHB is the loli futa warlock pact in? I only saw chain, tome and blade.
>>
>>48520365
One of the reasons for Sorc instead of Warlock is that sorcerers have a resource to expend, to exchange for extra spells. What would a warlock spend?
>>
>>48516302
I love how the Kuo-Toa looks like a nine year old who's really excited to go to Disneyland or see Barney live here or something.
>>
File: :^).jpg (39KB, 500x194px) Image search: [Google]
:^).jpg
39KB, 500x194px
>>48520717
Presumably at-will Alter Self.
>>
>>48520717
You have to have the eyes of the rune keeper invocation to read the invisible writing. It's right next to the succubus race and the Drow Priestess Prestige class
>>
>>48520693
Hmmm, just did a cursory search for that in the other homebrew databases and found this:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJOLlx_g

Surely there's a way to go about this that isn't so....bloated. Holy shit that's so much to keep track of, it can't be that hard.

>Spellcasting similar to warlock
>Pet similar to Beastmaster Ranger (with fixes)
>Archetypes that emphasize buffing pet, buffing spellcasting, buffing survivability/utility

Is there something I'm missing or need to consider?
>>
>>48520674
What's your point? That calling a vengeance paladin a paladin is badwrongfun on par with magical realm shit? If that's how you and your group feel, that's okay. It's your table, not mine.
>>
>>48520756
I guess it'd be bludgeoning damage.
>>48520762
Nice.
>>
>>48520717
sorry, but your objectively wrong here, your restricting my player agency as the PHB specifically says i can choose my age, sex and, gender, and even makes note of how gender and sex are not binary
so your just a shitty DM if you won't let me have my 18'' horse bitch-breaker
>>
>>48520854
I've actually already ruled you can have it. Bludgeoning damage and everything.
I look forward to the game :^)
>>
>>48520784
Is this more to your liking?

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Eidolon_(5e_Archetype)
>>
>>48520854
Anon, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but reductio ad absurdum only works when it's actually a reduction of the argument being presented.
>>
>>48520854
Perfect, I've been waiting to play my loli futa barbarian that uses her own cock to bludgeon her enemies.

What kind of damage dice does a six foot long twenty pound cock use?
>>
Am I a min maxing whore if I pick half elf purely for the dank +2 cha +1 in two abilities?
>>
>>48520928
No min makers use Human Variant you are good to go senpai
>>
>>48520900
It's an improvised weapon, so 1d4 bludgeoning.
I might even let you use the stats for a club or greatcoat if I'm feeling cheeky~
>>
>>48520947
shit, *greatclub
>>
>>48520928

Half-elf on a cha class is always min-maxy, but I wouldn't worry about it that much. The way D&D races are set up you're encouraged to min max with racial choice.
>>
>>48520947
Wait I'm an idiot, I'll play a monk, 3 "unarmed" strikes with flurry of blows.
>>
>>48520928
No, but your mother was.
>>
Fuck how do I repair a book? a massive chuck of my PHB literally just came unbouned from the spine.
>>
>>48521012
Contact Wizards. They are pretty good about replacing books that are falling apart, especially since the first 5e printings had shoddy bindings. If you care and ask, you might be able to get a signed copy sent back.
>>
>>48521026
Oh, awesome, and that makes sense my book was a 1st printing book.
>>
>>48521012
I work at a print shop. Coil-bound color copy custom leather cover master race here.
>>
>>48521012
DC13 roll and add dex or int mod
>>
>>48520884
That's a lot better. I'll have to give something like this a try.
>>
Need advice on dealing with one of my players

They've essentially built their character around the warlock ability to pierce magical darkness and the Darkness spell (The group is currently level 5)

How do I curtail them doing this without just throwing creatures with truesight etc at her? Looking for a solution that isn't just "This thing can see through magical darkness"
>>
So my Archer Cleric has an immovable rod. I've been trying to work out a type of arrow that, when attached to the rod and fired, will activate upon hitting the target.

How best should I go about this, and how can I explain this idea to my DM in a clear and effective way?
>>
>>48520887
you still don't know what that means, i would really suggest googling it
>>
>>48521116
The daylight spell goes through magic darkness I believe. Driftglobes can do that. Have the adventurers fight other adventurers with a driftglobe and a bag of holding. The driftglobe effectively counters the darkness.
>>
>>48521116
Wait until the party get pissed off that they can't see anything.
Either that or make accuracy a non-issue.
Traps, grenades, even blind creatures with Blindsight.
Stuff that isn't just melee enemies close enough to blind.
>>
>>48521116
Fighting in close quarters will have her Darkness cause problems for her allies.

The intelligent enemy (for instance, most casters) will also be able to make an educated guess on her position (that is, at the center of the huge orb of darkness), and hit her with an area spell.

The intelligent enemy, with no way to counter the tactic, may also elect to retreat until they have an advantageous position (likely behind cover or a large number of traps).
>>
File: 1467952659947.png (170KB, 419x403px) Image search: [Google]
1467952659947.png
170KB, 419x403px
My party all had flying carpets and fly spells and shit to fight the Tarrasque.

So I had it grow wings.

And I gave it a breath attack.
>>
>>48521231
I'm fond of the 4e version with the no-fly zone
>>
>>48521125
You need to work out two things with your DM: how much does an immovable rod weigh, and where on the rod is the button that activates it? It is likely that the rod is just too heavy to attach to an arrow that will still fly. The best you can do is probably to attach the rod to a thrown object like a spear.
>>
>>48521231
You evil bastard
>>
>>48521116
In tight corridors, the rest of the party will not be able to see shit. In wide-open spaces, attackers can aim for the center of the sphere of darkness.
>>
>>48521231
>THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM
Did you also give it levels in Wizard while you were at it?
>>
>>48521116
tremorsense
>>
>>48521248
well my guy is 7ft4in, and uses an appropriately sized longbow. So I figure the arrows he fires are fuckhuge, and could probably support the weight of a iron rod. (maybe with disadvantage, or a numbered penalty to attack roll)

I'm sorta thinking there's like a metal hinge that rests atop the button, and when the rod is jammed into something the hinge gets squeezed, thereby pressing the button?
>>
File: uh.jpg (5KB, 250x154px) Image search: [Google]
uh.jpg
5KB, 250x154px
>>48521231
>>
>>48521248
>>48521309
DMG indicates that it is a "flat iron rod" with "a button on one end". Arranging the rod such that the button is pressed upon impact should be trivial.

The main problem here, I think, would be fashioning a mechanism to create a delayed activation, rather than activating the moment the rod strikes armor or flesh (which would, of course, lead to no damage caused to the target whatsoever).
>>
>>48521309
Even being generous and saying that your tall boy can shoot arrows of twice the normal mass (which he probably can't,) that's not enough to be able to stick an iron rod on there and have it do anything but drop like a rock. Assuming a rod is 1"x1"x12" and made of steel or wrought iron, it's going to weigh about 3.5 pounds. Even the biggest arrow a human can shoot weighs less than a quarter of a pound.
>>
>>48521423
>>48521248
And what's the purpose of this? What's to stop the enemy from pushing the button? He'll just be like, hey, free rod.
>>
>>48520051
DM's like you are the reason I got into this game. That sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>48521445
Probably thinking of impaling them with it to stick them in place.
>>
>>48521445
I had assumed the intention was to activate the rod just after the projectile pierces and lodges itself within an enemy, thus immobilizing or causing further damage to the enemy depending on the speed they're currently moving at.

In this case, the button should hopefully be inaccessible within the inflicted wound.
>>
So, what does this official roll20/WotC thing mean? Is it going to give us cool new features for running 5e in roll20?

What about for running other versions of D&D? There are sheets for Moldvay D&D in roll20. Will there be official support for that?
>>
>>48521476
Thanks anon, I appreciate it.
Guest if the quest I do AND my games are both well-received I must be doing something right somewhere.
The Cult of Bhall has become something of a recurring joke for the table, actually. Everyone there played BG back in the day when it came out, and after finding out that Bhaal (Bhall? How the fuck do you spell his name again?) came back they kept cracking jokes that "Bhaal is secretly behind every plot!" when they unravel mysteries or conspiracies but never really took it seriously.

So I decided to fuck with their heads a bit and had them eventually find a skeletally dead Kuo-Toa with just the head and tail left (like one of those cartoon fish after being eaten with just the head and tail) on a huge table surrounded by dirty silverware and an altar to Bhaal in the room nearby they were genuinely kinda surprised.
>>
>>48521493
Wouldn't the rod just snap free long before enough force was applied to it to move it? And what if you miss?
>>
>>48516762

A cool staff, promises to command a skeleton army, that kind of stuff.
>>
>>48521630
Yes it would, hopefully tearing a large chunk out of whatever it's embedded in.

And just about the same thing that happens if you miss with any other enchanted arrow.
>>
>>48521633
I'd have asked for a super comfortable afterlife to be set up for ourselves.
>>
>>48520529

Yes, you can do anything you want at your table. Because you're alone at it.
>>
>>48516610
Honestly? Bard.
>>
>>48516663
He's a dragon. He has no "plot" he's just expanding his territory.
>>
>>48516663
Running an evil campaign where the players have accidentally walked through a time portal and are being hunted by this Wild West preacher.
>>
>>48521756
I find bars to be the most flexible base to make homebrew from.
>>
>>48519958
lots of foil and a clamshell package
>>
>>48521924
I was looking at it from the mechanical aspect of using bardic inspiration as a resource for fetching off-class spells, as well as the irl lore of the sha'ir being magical poets/storytellers in the ancient Arabian world.
>>
>>48520001
>for the same reasons that a barbarian shouldn't RP as a bookworm highborn scholar
The Barbarian's defining ability is "gets mad as shit". They haven't hated magic and books in a long ass time. There's nothing about the current Barbarian, or even 3X Barbs, that should lead people to believe your character needs to be a tribal hobo who can't read, write, or go to a dinner party without relieving himself in the punch bowl.

That said, I am the kind of ancient grog who prefers his Paladins to be, you know, Paladins. But this problem is easily fixed by calling the class "Crusader" and leaving it at that.
>>
Can /tg/ give a quick look over the shadowcaster class ive been updating? Changed the whole spell progression system to something similar to spell points, lowered the number of cantrip spells down to 2 at 1st level and 4 at 20th, still trying to come up with more flavorful mysteries and clean up the incantation list to be less spell like.

Thoughts?
>>
>>48522156
forgot to link the homebrewery page.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkaciQ1L
>>
>>48520170
In Forgotten Realms, 5e's default setting, it would be objectively evil because some invisible entity that writes the laws of the universe declared that using negative energy in that particular way is Evil. Your mileage may vary in other settings.
>>
So after running and playing some 5e these past few weeks, I think I've realized it's greatest strength and it's greatest weakness:

At its core, it's just 3.5e with simplified rules and not as many floating numbers.

This means that, for DMs and players that don't mind a bit of cooperation and extra work, basically everything from 3.5 (and probably PF) can get ported over to 5th with little work/conversion.

But this also means there isn't as much design space in the rules set for further growth and development, as we will have explored this overall system for almost 20 years by the (estimated) end of 5th's lifecycle.

For all the flack 4th got, they took a risk with the rules system and tried to do something new with it. Too bad system shock combined with HP bloat and splatbook bloat killed any chance of 4th succeeding.
>>
>>48522149
i mean, a barbarian should be at least somewhat barbaric, it's in the name dude
they don't need to be a living hyperbole, but they are a fucking barbarian
>>
>>48516680
They were a variant wizard introduced in Al-Qadim, the "Arabian Nights" sub-setting for Forgotten Realms. Basically, they had diminutive genies called Shan who were bound to them as familiars, and these would zip off into the elemental planes and "retrieve" spells for them.

I could see a Sha'ir working as either a Wizard Tradition or an elemental Warlock, honestly. The former is probably closer to its roots, though, as it keeps the master/servant bond clearer.
>>
File: barbarians3.jpg (27KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
barbarians3.jpg
27KB, 640x423px
>>48522265
Yeah, and losing your cool and actually employing physical violence against people you disagree with is downright barbaric from the viewpoint of a highborn scholar.
>>
>>48516302
I have used kuo-toa, it went pretty well.
>fairly light-hearted campaign, party is a group of bodyguards for a student archaeological dig in a hostile territory
>on their week off (they switch off weeks on duty with an NPC party) they go exploring and find essentially, atlantis
>a tall tower exposed at low tide leads into mansion
>the mansion has long been abandoned by the rightful owners, but has some ghosts (the tonal shift led to some really good spooks) and the upper levels are inhabited by packs of kuo-toa
>the party is breaking down barricaded mazes made of the mansions furniture, the kuo-toa are coming out of passages in the barricades, stabbing at them from on top, etc, ended up being a very dynamic encounter
>find secret mystical room with magical teleporter, with kuo-toa mages and other tough guys
We all play other campaigns together and shift back and forth, in another campaign the cleric uses... I forget what it's called, but it's a large-radius aura that does radiant damage to whoever is in it
>they all shit themselves when one of the mages pops that same spell, I'm cackling evilly
>they manage to bring them all down, the last mage awakens two artic centipede monsters
>realize quickly I fucked up, as the party is level 3/4 and the centipedes do 6d8 damage or some shit
>nerf on the fly, still almost manage to tpk
Good times
>>
>>48522224
5e is only 3.PF at core if you consider "d20 + ability modifier" to be the sole defining feature of 3.PF... which it most certainly is not. Your assumptions ("5e is just 3.PF") don't even fit your conclusions ("5e doesn't have much design space for growth"), especially since the "little work" for converting 3.PF stuff to 5e has barely been done, because it's usually a bad idea that produces stuff far outside 5e's design guidelines.
>>
>>48522405
He's reasoning isn't exactly sound, but he's right that 5e has less design space due to its simplicity. Although it can be mitigated somewhat by changing basic things such as the mystic does, normally working within the confines of subclasses limits things greatly.
>>
>>48522405
In terms of officially made stuff from WotC there isn't much published about converting stuff over from older editions to 5th. But if you look at the DM's Guild thing you can find conversions of varying degress of success (from well-made and thought out stuff to fanwanking OP bullshit) for a fair number of classes and playable races from 3.5 and PF.
>>
>>48520827
>I guess it'd be bludgeoning damage.
piercing
>>
>>48520995
2 hours later (almost) i feel comfortable saying
underrated post
>>
>>48522364
You clearly haven't partied with a lot of highborn scholars.
>>
>>48516302
I've never played DnD. Would I be accepted into some kind of pbp DnD game? Tabletop gaming isn't really a thing where I live.
>>
>>48516663
>>48522375
Same game here, bbeg is hard to pin down. Setting is, not-italy and a small island that was the capital of a huge magical empire hundreds or thousands of years ago. The empire suddenly disappeared, leading to the rise of not-italy.

I've been slowly dropping hints and lore leading to the conclusion that a powerful politico in the ancient empire struck a deal with the Dark One or Old One (whichever is the warlock pact that is basically cthuluhu) to gain power to overthrow everybody. The players have been getting neat magical items which are actually symbols and sources of power for important people of the ancient empire, and taking on their historical roles.

I'm picturing this as ending up as a war between the island, led by the party and whatever magical beasts or powers cthuluhu provides, and not-italy, or they may possibly side with not-italy and put a stop to the kooky mystic shit going on. Or they may go another path entirely and fight everybody, who knows.
>>
>>48519315
Look at historical sources for this stuff before making a strict judgement, consider that these are supernatural humans and magic exists. Knights could swim fine in plate mail for short periods of time, they did not sink the second they fell in or anything like that, contrary to what a lot of people thing based on how much it weights.
>>
>>48522661
>Would I be accepted
Don't know anything about you, so no clue.

You could certainly try though.
>>
>>48522661
Join Roll20 and find a group there.
>>
>>48518823
When talking about oil, the handbook mentions an effectiveness only to a certain time after application, because it evaporates or what have you. After a certain time it may lose some damage, or all damage, so you may want to check that.
>>
>>48522265
Barbarians are based on berserkers. Egil was a berserker known, among other things, for his poetry. Moving to pulp fantasy, Fafhrd was trained in his people's classical music, and in many ways was much more reserved than his city-dwelling companion the Gray Mouser.
>>
>>48522224
I can guarantee you are running 5e wrong. And not wrong as in "you're not having fun right," but wrong as in "you're not using the rules to optimally game your role play."

I bet you let everyone in the party roll a skill check for perception in rooms.
>>
File: dndintroduction.png (101KB, 507x801px) Image search: [Google]
dndintroduction.png
101KB, 507x801px
>>48522873
>Moving to pulp fantasy, Fafhrd
It's worth noting that this is exactly the sort of thing Gygax intended D&D to be and not the high-magic Lord of the Rings everyone now imagines it as. See the last paragraph.
>>
File: damage_inc_14.jpg (192KB, 470x822px) Image search: [Google]
damage_inc_14.jpg
192KB, 470x822px
Hey I'm starting a game soon with a player that I'm 99% sure will want to play a beastmaster ranger. Whats the best beastmaster ranger fix? Or even redo if thats where we're at with things.
>>
What's the best balanced (I know 5e isn't great for balance but there's a range that a class can be in where it's viable and also not making wizards look bad) warlord class? I didn't know what the warlord was because I skipped 4e, but now that I realize it's a badass strategist, I'd love to make one.
>>
>>48522960
The consensus ranger is a good one. It's beastmaster gets the equivalent of am 11th level extra attack and a few other adjustments.

>>48522998
I haven't seen a good warlord. It's only theme inheritor is the battlemaster, which is considerably more fighty (being a fighter).
>>
>>48523044
Thanks (re: Beastmaster), I'll look it up.
>>48522998
I saw a thing a while back on some other forum about making a multiclass Valor Bard / Battlemaster and that being a pretty 5e appropriate Warlord.
>>
>>48520275
>>48521756
>>48522108
I am inclined to agree, although a short rest-refreshing resource is kinda powerful.

How's this? (I suspect it's overpowered)
At 3rd level you gain the spell find familiar. In addition your familiar can take the form of a gen servant (come up with stats). You also learn Primordial and have advantage on charisma(diplomacy) checks with elementals.

At 3rd level, as an action you can dismiss your gen servant to retrieve magic from distant planes to aid you. To do this, choose any spell and roll a bardic inspiration die. The gen servant returns a number of minutes equal to the level of the spell. Your gen servant returns with the spell if you rolled higher than the spell's level on the bardic inspiration die, or twice the spell's level if the spell is not on the bard spell list. This spell is known by you and you can cast this spell until your next short or long rest or you use this ability again.

At 6th level, you gain a benefit based on your gen servant. As long as it is summoned (various effects).

At 14th level, you can retain any spells retrieved by your gen servant, even if you use the ability again. You still lose the spells after a short or long rest.
>>
Okay, so, without being stupidly OP or making my DM miserable (we are friends, after all), what can you recommend in the way of a class/way of building my character that's centered around battlefield control shenanigans, without directly stepping on the toes of the battlemaster fighter (or maybe even synergizing with him)?
>>
>>48523189
W I Z A R D
I
Z
A
R
D
>>
>>48523189
Divination wizard or Land (forest) Druid.
>>
>>48523189

Loremaster Bard would be an excellent choice.
>>
>>48522960
id double suggest consensus >>48523107 >>48523044 for BM, for the most part, consensus does minor changes to the archtypes, and big changes to the base class. most other ranger fixes seem to be large overall changes, or overtooled ones. consensus is (surprise surprise) basically the most common simple changes, all strapped together logically, and donesnt, for the most part, change or add things that dont need to be fixed. Hunter has literally 1 change, and that is to make whirlwind as viable as volley
my literal only complaints are
1. Mariner instead of Defense fighting style (obviously /tg/ argues about it). it DOES feel naturey though, so i guess it fits in very very easily
2. the animal companion rules are "get a new one as your hd advances" OR "work with your dm to hd advance your pokemon"
its obviously an easy fix, but it feels kinda lazy, though i guess it lets both Digimon and pokemon rangers get their way
>>
>>48522960
Give the pet its own initiative. It has its own reaction and move and can run around independently of the Ranger. Ordering the pet costs no action on the Ranger's part.

The pet still shares an action with the Ranger and follows the normal rules for attacking or taking other actions (Hide, Disengage, etc.) with one exception: once the Ranger has Extra Attack, the pet may make both attacks if the player wishes.

Bestial Fury at level 11 now gives the pet its own 'bonus' action which it can use to attack with (so it could take a total of three attacks in a turn if the Ranger makes none himself; four when using the next ability). This sort of makes up for the fact that a Ranger will likely have sweet magical weapons at this point at the pet is still rocking mundane teeth or claws.

Once per short rest, the Ranger can spend a bonus action to give the pet a single attack which adds the Ranger's Wisdom to damage. This increases to twice per short rest at 6 and thrice at 11.

At third level, the pet gains advantage on opportunity attacks.

The Ranger's spellcasting now functions like a Paladin's. He has no limited "spells known"; he prepares Wis+(Ranger/2) spells per day from the full Ranger spell list.

The pet has death saving throws.

Let your Ranger go on a mini-quest to acquire materials for some kind of wacky alchemical substance that can be used to coat his pet's offensive weapons (teeth, claws, hooves, horns) to make them +1 or some shit, or maybe just a magical ritual that accomplishes the same.
>>
>>48523122
honestly not that bad, but it seems a little too focused on the spell fetching aspect of the class.

Here's what my DM came up with for a campaign he's been running since March. I've been having a blast playing with it, though I can't speak to the balance of the higher leveled features.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cSsPynT4ZQ52Qidxm5vRVKmIEz2SN6liGu2oC9nkAGk/edit?usp=drive_web
>>
>>48523189
Cleric can do battlefield control and support pretty well. Going war domain would let you fight side by side with the BM, while giving you all the buff spells you could ask for. Fill your spell list with control spells and you should be good to go.
>>
>>48522887
The only time I let a player use a skill is when they say, "I want to do XYZ," and I reply with, "ok, use ABC skill." Otherwise I just let them go along oblivious to what might be around them.
>>
>players keep asking me if they can roll ________ to perform some trivial action
>can I roll Athletics to kick down this completely mundane and slightly dilapidated cottage door with my 18 Str Barbarian
>can I roll Acrobatics to hop the four foot wide stream instead of stepping in it
>can I roll Arcana to read this magical scroll that's written in Common
>can I roll Perform to play a ditty on my lute despite there being no one around to perform for

>let them roll whatever the fuck they want and they succeed regardless because come the fuck on
>>
>>48523507
>>can I roll Arcana to read this magical scroll that's written in Common
pffffffffff this made me laugh
>>
>>48519958
>Not BULKING
Do you even want that 24 str and con?
>>
>>48523307
There's no need for the higher CR companion rule, just let the base companion scale more. The consensus Beastmaster already does this through granting the companion proficiency in saves (should use Ranger's proficiency though, probably a typo).
I'd argue that if you let the companion add the Ranger's proficiency bonus to the DCs of its abilities, it is not necessary to have it forcibly "evolve".
>>
>>48523586
iv always felt like higher cr (and size) is really just an effort to give you more options untill wizards releases more stuff. i think in all the released books thus far, there were 2 options added that wernt in the phb/mm
but yeah, the way consensus does is you either trade it in for a new model and get a bigger shinier beast, or "evolve" it up

i guess it gives options for rangers though, which is the important thing. that way you arnt stuck with the 4 "good" options for pet if you want to not be retarded
>>
>>48520939
What if I don't like playing filthy non-humans, but a normal human is bad, stat-wise? Should I just ignore the option to make my character different?
>>
File: classydwarf.jpg (29KB, 352x599px) Image search: [Google]
classydwarf.jpg
29KB, 352x599px
>>48523571
>have all relevant camping and traveling supplies on my character sheet
>even have extra food and water for the party
>buy lavish but well-balanced meals in said towns
>no shitty ale or hard liquor; a single glass of red wine with dinner
>rent the finest room for myself
>silk everything, including sleeping bag liner
>paid 14x as much for a high-class saddle made of rich Calimshanian leather
>have my arms and armour maintained by smiths, boots kept up by dedicated cobblers; not because I'm incapable, but because such things are better left to those whose lives have been spent perfecting their craft
>have yet to gain any sort of benefit from this compared to my hobo companions who eat nothing but stale bread and sleep on the floor in the same underwear they've had since the first session
>>
>>48519958
Then you can survive on half rations
>>
Anyone got an idea for an annual festival's name in honor of the Sovereign Host for a loosly Eberron campaign?

Was thinking something along the lines of "Festival of the Flock", going with the bird-related translation of 'host' but I'm not too sure if that name really works.
>>
So, since Volo's Guide to Monsters is apparently going to be slightly pulling double duty as 5e's "Complete Book of Humanoids" and give us monstrous PC races, and they've teased Orc, Goblin, Firbolg (giantkin; picture a 10ft tall Irish Celt with magical powers), Triton and "Catfolk", what do you think or hope they'll give us when it finally comes out?
>>
>>48523822
Wow, your companions don't sleep in their armour?
>>
>>48524289
Deva
>>
>>48524289
>Triton
Got a source for that? I know catfolk were blatantly hinted at by Perkins.

I'm hoping to see playable kobolds--well, less hoping and more expecting it, all things considered.
>>
>>48524396
They do.

Actually, so do I, but it's not my normal battle armor. I have a separate chain shirt for nighttime wear. the links help transfer heat away from the body and keep you cool! quickly lowering body temperature is key to entering a restful sleep as soon as possible
>>
Anybody got the parchment background used for the background of the DMG?
>>
>>48516471
That does sound cool, actually...
>>
>>48524648
the last thread does
>>
>>48524679
That looks like the PHB one...the DMG one is quite a bit more gray...
>>
>>48524720
ah tits you're right
ignore the retard
>>
>>48524731
No worries!

Since I'm writing up my notes in Homebrewery, my brain makes me want to have the background correct.
>>
>>48524492
You... Do wear something between the links and your bare flesh, right?
>>
>>48524792
Just a nice silk shirt to keep the hairs from pinching. You always want a silk undershirt regardless of what you're wearing, it's great protection. The threads are so closely-woven and durable that things like arrows and spearheads don't tear right through, they get caught. So you might have an arrow sticking in you, but it's not biting into your flesh, you've got some silk fibers wrapped around it and softening the edge and you can pop the whole thing out of your bleeding wound by tugging the shirt taut.

Very quick-drying, too, but it is a little heavy when wet.
>>
>>48524414
Perkins and Mearls confirmed Tritons in their podcast about Storm King's Thunder. Actually, I think it might have been on the original notes about SKT, I'm not sure.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?487292-Transcript-of-Chris-Perkins-and-Mike-Mearls-talking-about-Storm-King-s-Thunder#ixzz4ASwgJKGc

According to Reddit for "TheSageAdvice", Aasimar are also going to be in it as well. No clues on how they'll turn out, though.

>>48524398
How would Deva work in 5e, given we've gone slightly back to the lore for angels from 4e's "technically neutral apolitical servitors of all the gods" portrayal of them?
>>
>>48523189

I second Divination Wizard. You'll get two d20s you can replace someone's roll with over the day and access to some of the best control spells in the game.
>>
>>48524910
I liked the Deva-Raksasha balancing act. It was fun playing with a player who was a deva in 4e. I dunno, just give a +2 to Wisdom, make them originate from heaven, give them a Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes cantrip, and slap a Good Alignment restriction on them.
>>
File: 1469081276167.jpg (196KB, 517x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1469081276167.jpg
196KB, 517x1007px
Are there any essentials for a snake-themed jungle dungeon?

Aside from snakes, that is.
>>
>>48525548
Water.
Reptilian enemies and water levels go hand in hand.
>>
>>48525548
....more snakes?

Also, naga, snakemen, yuan-ti...

It's a jungle, so bugs. Introduce botfly swarms, and watch your players flee in terror.

Then show them a picture of what happens if you get infected with botfly larvae.

I did this in one of my previous campaigns, and they were terrified of them.
>>
>>48525548
One of the players going "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"
>>
Do you add dex to damage with crossbows in 5e? It just says "ranged weapon" under dex on 177 and I didn't see any clause in the crossbow section that it doesn't get a damage bonus.
>>
>>48525732
Why wouldn't you?
>>
>>48525732
Yes you use Dex
>>
>>48525732
You always get your ability mod to weapon damage unless there's some specific reason you don't (like two-weapon fighting without the fighting style).
>>
>>48525749
crossbows didn't get a damage bonus in 3.5 from dex, and only composite longbows got str bonus damage.

>>48525774
>>48525765
>>48525749
Alright ty.
>>
So I'm going to start running a campaign for my group and I'm concerned with how they're going to react to a few things.

Our previous GM (who will be a player) was very loose with rules, his stats were 4D6, re-roll 1s, drop the lowest, he didn't really play with attunement and ultimately the power curve for the group was very high. I on the other hand intend to go with point buy, playing attunement as its intended and generall want a lower power level. Anyone have any general experience moving your group back from the munchkin edge?
>>
I have a paladin PC who decided to worship Ehlonna, but I can only find the wikipedia page about her. Anyone know where I can read more of her lore?
>>
>>48516302
My paladin and my party witch doctor bard done goffed

>Witcher doctor checks out farm as we travel as part of a farm to WateDeep. House looks abandoned then the smell of rotting flesh hits him. He goes up stairs and find the wife and husband dead with his face ripped off.
>Finds a book on undead and a semi hidden wooden box with " to my love" enscribed into it. Near where the box was hidden their was claw marks.
>The bard gathers some supplies from the farm and rejoins the caravan. Later in the day when we have stopped to make camp he tells my Paladin what he has found
> Paladin uses divine sense on it and gets a very cold and angry/sad sensation from the box.
The bard suggests we show the box to the magician rock gnome in the caravan who the bard befriended and is clearly a powerful magic user.
>Gnome invites us inside and manages to opens the box shit goes all Poultergeist/ Insidious in the gnomes tent even with the gnomes best efforts to contain it.

>I drag the other two out with the concussed gnome muttering "run run run run"
>As I open the flap the thing dashes through the flap and escapes into the night.
>The gnome then later informs us if we stayed to fight/contain it we would have all died.
.So the bard and my paladin have unleashed something very bad into the world.
>>
>>48526528
Canonfire Greywiki.
>>
>>48526528
most stuff about gods (other than someone answering "hey bro, look in XXXX") you're better suited googling "D&D GODNAME" there is literally no one site that has every god for some reason, and many of the obvious ones exclude massive amounts of fluff, sometimes even what setting they're from
shes from greyhawk, but seriously, just google d&d ehlonna, and check like the first 10 results. not all of them are going to be good, but you're going to get what you need from the mass of em
>>
>>48518775
1. Trolls are carnivorous and your interpretation of regeneration is more magic than mine (something out of literally nothing).

2. Troll meat is liable to be vile, perhaps requiring a constitution check to keep down. I get that idea out of The Book of Vile Darkness sourcebook, which you may or may not regard highly. The sausage would be low-quality (or at least "exotic") even with spicing and admixture of edible meats (which would improve the Con check, perhaps to functionally automatic).

3. That troll isn't going to be cooperative. Either drugged or maimed (limbs must be kept amputated). It would have no scars not caused by fire or acid (which would have to be healed human-fast), but it might have a lot of these if the innkeeper was using that as a punishment for non-compliance. Or just for sadism.

It works as an unspeakable specialty, but not as a cost-saving measure. But if you had a PC who really hates trolls, it could be a "wow, there are worse monsters and they're human" object lesson. Or to abuse the gourmet in the party; secret ingredient revealed, roll the PC puking montage, or if they do a big crowd reveal it's a fifty-man spit take. If you do it right, that's close on a Monty Python sketch. Otherwise, it's just solid cultist material. Edgelord bragging contest stuff.
>>
>>48527242
I've always thought of troll regeneration as literal super-cancer. It just grows so fast, but it doesn't always grow right.
>>
>>48526020
Don't even bring it up. Just lay out your rules as a DM and go with it. They'll forget about stat gen before long and if you keep them engaged they'll forget about magic item handouts.
>>
>>48526020

Yeah, actually. I find the lower power level curve to be much more enjoyable. When the level 5 party is chewing through CR 15 fights like trick-or-treaters through candy, something is wrong. Stat rolling is inherently flawed.
>>
>>48523822
if you were in my campaign i'd definitely let you talk better to nobles and other rich people, maybe even have some higher up contacts. or whoever your character would shmooze with. i treat people who act like beggars and hobos and murder hobos the way you would expect random watchful townsfolk in a dangerous magic would to treat them. that is, poorly.
>>
File: Capture.png (4MB, 1920x982px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4MB, 1920x982px
Settin up tomorrow's game, finally made the parties much requested camp area so they can roleplay inbetween dungeons and major fights. Yes this is a lot of players for a game but I've found in an odd way I have loved DMing such a large party.

Anyone else playin this weekend?
>>
>>48527948
Jesus.

I have my players roll for stats, and they almost TPKed against a CR10 red dragon...two of the six were permanently dead.
>>
>>48528055

I was part of a five-man, level 5 party of rolled stats goons. We all rolled ridiculously high by point by standards. I'm talking my literally retarded barbarian had to ask the DM if I could go down to 8 Int. Anyway, we were up against a Drow Priestess and her high level drow elite henchmen at level 5. Half the party was caught out by Insect Swarm. I ask the DM "Can I Kool-Aid Man through the wall?" (with my 20 Str). He asks me to roll for it. 23 later, I bust through the wall, myself and my paladin friend right in the Drow Priestess' face. The two of us quickly clean her up, and the five of us then quickly dispatch her elite guard. Even while standing in her insect swarm, my allies didn't take enough damage to fall (due to having ludicrous Con scores from rolling). It was embarrassing.
>>
>>48528007

I'm playing right now and I'm DMing on Sunday. The PCs in my game have just as cringy character art. I don't know why you're using the square borders in token tool though, they look hideous.
>>
>>48525548
Well, you're going to need a mercenary group trying to cause eternal war through the use of a giant construct called Alloy Cog.
>>
>>48528153
I've always used circles and just wanted to do something different. By the time I realized how much it hurt my autism I didn't want to do them over again.

Maybe I should knowing now that it's not just me it drives up the wall
>>
>>48526020
My Lankhmar campaign used point-buy with 30 points to spend.
Good stats without being "too good".
The party recently defeated a deadly tunnel-dungeon that removed something tainting the Quarmallian barrens. While it had little treasure, through story they earned the Blessing of the Sleeping Earth God, +2 Constitution.
>>
File: Gorgon.jpg (70KB, 564x836px) Image search: [Google]
Gorgon.jpg
70KB, 564x836px
>>48525548
Native Medusae.
>>
>>48528206
I've always been curious about Lankhmar. How is it? I need to steal some cities, and I'd like to steal them from somewhere people won't really recognize...
>>
Playing a paladin of the nature path for the second session this weekend. What should I expect? Trying to play her as a sort of druidic/wiccan sohei.
>>
>>48528007
Curse of Strahd, every Saturday. The party is going through Argynvostholt.
>>
>>48528289
How did the first session go? "Nature Paladin" doesn't really tell us much.
>>
File: Lankhmar-g.jpg (620KB, 1270x1630px) Image search: [Google]
Lankhmar-g.jpg
620KB, 1270x1630px
>>48528278
The city of Lankhmar itself is a big gritty urban setting riddled with thieves and ne'er do wells, and it's really the only city fleshed out in that setting to any real degree. I'm extremely familiar with the novels, and pretty much homebrew up the bulk of the setting based on the books.
My party of 4th level players hasn't quite made it to the actual city of Lankhmar, they are still in the southern reaches south of Tovilyis on the Sighing Plains. Which is sort of an early-medieval Romanesque civilization. Generally the world of Nehwon is late-Rome/early medieval.
>>
File: Newhon.png (3MB, 1229x1591px) Image search: [Google]
Newhon.png
3MB, 1229x1591px
>>48528339
Doing detailed maps in CC3+, adding towns and such and richer detail.
These were existing maps.
>>
>>48528339
Novels, you say. Got ebooks of them? I'd love to read them.

I'll need to go check the troves to see if the PDFs for Lankhmar are there.

How many and how good are the published adventures, if any?
>>
>>48528399
>Novels
Not that anon, but there are several books of short stories, some of which contain novellas, and one full-length novel.

Google search the titles and filetype:epub or whatever other format you want. You should be able to find some/all of them.

A word of warning, also Google for a recommended reading order. Trying to go in in-universe chronology and force yourself through Fafhrd's solo backstory without already caring about the characters is like trying to swallow gravel.
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>48528373
It's all humans, though with very minor variations for the several races present.
The only real demi-humans in the book are the rarely seen Ice-Gnomes, the Simorgyans are humans that became undersea shapeshifters through sorcery.
It's low magic, there are serious repercussions for casting high powered black magic without long rituals/preparations.
It's a world that very heavily favors martial swashbuckling, with heavy armors being pretty fantastically rare and expensive, and magic being generally low-key.
Current party is a Mingol ex-raider in brigandine (sword and board), Tisinilit Arcane trickster, Kleshite rainforest archer/ranger, and a holy man from the Barrens.
>>
>>48528325
I haven't run it yet, but I've been thinking about throwing it in to our current game after they finish Tiamat. Is it easy to adjust for higher level characters?
>>
File: Octopus with swords.jpg (433KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Octopus with swords.jpg
433KB, 1383x1037px
>>48528399
yeah, I have the physical hardcover collections, not the E-books.
Homebrewed pawns for this week's sword-wielding Octopus fight, because running Nehwon makes a sword-octopus obligatory at some point.
>>
>>48528482
>Is it easy to adjust for higher level characters?
As easy as any, I suppose. It depends on what level they're at when they start.
>>
>>48528336

It's oath of the ancients. I forgot the name until I read it upthread. We've had a pretty dank animist vibe in the first session ; trying to placate angry river naiads and blow up a goblin dam. If you can imagine this character as somewhere between Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke and something out of an Inkubus Sukkubus album, you're on track. Anyways, high elven L2, acolyte bg
>>
>>48528463
How do you run 5e in Lankhmar? Specifically, how do you handle shit like wizards and clerics, when magic in Nehwon is nothing like Vancian magic, and the only clerics I recall so far are creepy evil clerics?
>>
>>48528714
>magic in Nehwon is nothing like Vancian magic
It helps that 5e magic is nothing like Vancian, either.
>>
>>48528675
Sounds like your DM has you doing your green thing, so I would assume it'll be good.
>>
>>48528740
Wizards in 5e have magic that isn't ALL THAT different from what it was like way back in the day.

But my point is that the magic in D&D is still "cast a spell in one round." Magic in Nehwon is like, make a doll of the person using some of their hair and torture it to torture them, and if you aren't really careful, it'll drive you mad," or "spend hours chanting and doing this ritual to kill some people in a building miles away," and things like that. It's much more mysterious and weird than just "I cast fireball." Dark magic in that setting is almost Lovecraftian at times.
>>
>>48528714
The party "cleric" is actually a petty God stranded as a mortal, his spellcasting is self-powered (and he's being hunted by an centuries-old Warlock of the Outer Ones.

The only PC playing an Arcane caster is the trickster. I generally use a conversion of the old 2nd edition Black Magic rules for Nehwon, there are substantial side-effects from using high-powered black magic, Black Wizards generally need elaborate rituals/labs/casting times to pull off big stuff, so there's very little big evocation possible, more Necromancy/Summoning/Enchantment. Plus Black Wizards are seen as being pretty sinister elements in society.

White Wizards are essentially Wizards using the Druid spell list, mostly reclusive hermits and wise men living on the fringes of society.

While the party has a few magical items (each PC has one , basically) they've uncovered, they only know of one NPC who has one, and it's from the same ancient site they recovered theirs from.
>>
>>48528874
And it should be mentioned that Gods in Nehwon are much less powerful than standard D&D Gods, rarely working any power on the mortal plane aside from some dickery that puts a heavy strain on them.
And they are highly reliant on being invoked by mortals, a God who is "forgotten" or stops being prayed to openly eventually fades away.
On the flip side, Gods are constantly being created by crazy holy men and the like. Essentially a single devotee can establish and sustain a very petty God.
>>
File: Xanril.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Xanril.pdf
1B, 486x500px
First time playing a tabletop game. How good is my first character?
>>
File: 1431398536366.jpg (51KB, 552x442px) Image search: [Google]
1431398536366.jpg
51KB, 552x442px
>>48529029
>Using Alignment
>Using Alignment and being Chaotic Annoying
>being a Chaotic Annoying Monk
>>
>>48529029
Looks fine to me, try not to play lolrandumb I'm so chaotic and you'll be fine. Where did you get the character sheet? I like it.
>>
>>48529098
I was considering young monk that finally left the monastery after being raised there their whole life and is not out looking for fun and excitement, regardless of morality.

>>48529131
I'll try to avoid that during the game. How should a chaotic neutral character act to avoid that?

Also look up Forged Anvil D&D 5e character generator.
>>
>>48528463
Weren't there also things like a race of ghouls, who were humans with translucent flesh so they looked like walking skeletons who practiced cannibalism of the "honor the deceased" flavor, and rat-folk descended from the unions of shrunken humans and sapient rats? I'm pretty sure one of the protagonists boned a member of both races...
>>
>>48529029
you're missing the default no ki used bonus attack from martial arts i believe, which needs to go in the bonus action column and i personally would list your unarmored defense somewhere on the sheet, either as your "armor" or in active abilities
>>
In terms of custom monster tokens, would you recommend standing flat pawns or small, round tokens? And could you tell me why you think that way?

I'm trying to decide what to go with. And if it's round tokens, I'm wondering if I should make them with metal washers, wood circles, buttons, etc.
>>
>playing a cleric for a trickster god
>cleric is a shyster who is constantly conning people or demanding payment for miracles
>paladin player keeps giving me shit in-character and out because I'm not acting 'priestly.'

I've never played D&D until 5e -- was it a stereotype back in the day that clerics can only be SUPER LAWFUL GOOD N' SELFLESS?
>>
>>48529160
Chaotic neutral is concerned with getting things done, whether it is done within the bounds of the law or not. A lot of people use it as an excuse to do whatever they want to the detriment of the party's reputation and everyone's fun. As long as you keep it reigned in and play according to the situation, and understand that no character is completely one dimensional and defined by their alignment, you'll do great.
>>
>>48529203
I prefer round tokens, because I like the way they look on the board. I use wood circles and appropriately sized hole punches + photoshop to get token sheets.
>>
>>48529203
thick paper or stock is fine. if you really feel the need to weight them, i would go with buttons or something like those felt/no skid stickers you put on the bottom of shit. washers are just going to get heavy.
honestly the pawns/tokens is just preference, and if your characters use a representation, it should be the same as theirs (if they have figs, use pawns, if they have images, use tokens)

that being said, i guess one could argue that if you have a low table or people stand up alot, use tokens, and if its high or people sit further away, use stands
>>
>>48519550
>>48519509
I suppose it depends what your trail rations are really made of. If its a straight pound of fat isn't that like 3,500 calories? Enough for even a hard day of adventuring.
>>
>>48529192
I will add that when the game begins because I can just fill it in.

>>48529233
Thank you for the suggestion. The party seems to be hectic since one guy wanted to play a luchador and the other one is a tempest cleric.
>>
When creating a high level D&D character can you choose their feats from all they are qualified for at that level or do you have to build them up in steps?
>>
>>48529203
Standing full-art pawns for characters, important NPCs, and the most powerful monsters. Flat tokens for everything else.
>>
>>48529297
If humans could survive on a pound of fat once per week, we would have vastly different methods of gathering food in the world.

>>48529336
Go into it with an open mind. As long as everyone is having fun, hectic doesn't matter.
>>
>>48529213
Not particularly. Your paladin and his player are both playing an ignorant cunt, it seems. But to be fair your gimmick is tiring too. Needs a little more trick and a little less dick. Maybe play with the pallys expectations to fuck with him.
>>
>>48529213
it depends on your alignment and god
back in 3.x every god, regardless of its domain could pick good or evil, and regardless of what god you worshiped, you could pick "good" if you were good/neutral and evil if you were evil/neutral. in fact you HAD to pick upon character creation because thats the kind of rebuke/turn you did to undead

that being said, a vast majority of gods are good/neutral, and obviously a large amount of player/npcs are good/neutral. evil is mostly for bbeg's and evil races, shit like that.

so basically "what god do you worship nigga, and whats yo alignment"

imo though, demanding payment? thats fine. conning people? less so, you're a trickster not a thief. it even suggests in the fluff you steal from the rich, but not from john q everyman
>>
>>48529345
I don't think few if any feats even have qualifications. But if they do (or if you're playing with custom feats that do) it basically boils down to if your dm allows retraining.
>>
>>48529345
You *should* be building them up in steps.
>>
Is being able to play without alignment impossible? Are there ways to do it?

I get really tired of alignment and the crap it can bring in games. easier to just throw it out than to "fix" it
>>
>>48529428
Say your character is true neutral. Write out their personality traits and act the way you think they would act in a given situation.
>>
>>48529428
Ignore it entirety, should work fine. Your players might still need an in character crutch though, but the personality traits system should take care of that.
>>
>>48529428
Alignment is fluff in 5e, not a mechanic. And on the off-time that it does come up, you can either handwave it or determine alignment ad-hoc based on how that creature or character has been acting lately.
>>
File: 1356771848118.jpg (179KB, 500x506px) Image search: [Google]
1356771848118.jpg
179KB, 500x506px
>>48529354
>If humans could survive on a pound of fat once per week, we would have vastly different methods of gathering food in the world.

Its a good thing thats per day instead of per week then.

Also, I don't think I want or need a game that PERFECTLY models what you need to eat everyday. I don't want my adventurers to be toting around pickled limes or some shit and worrying about scurvy or whether or not they are calcium deficient.
>>
>>48529480
In the conversation you were referencing earlier, we were talking about the rules stating a character with 18 constitution can survive on one pound of food per week with no negative consequences.
>>
>>48529260

Mah nigga.
>>
>>48530021
>>48529260
Any reason why you chose wood? Does the glue stay on it well?
>>
>>48530051
Because they're cheap and lightweight, honestly. You can get them in almost any size, which you can't always do for metal washers (and the ones you can are crazy expensive).
>>
>>48529428

I've run 15 sessions so far without need of it, and I see no need to start now. My players are all having fun without it too.
>>
>>48529428
It's not impossible. Alignment is mostly there to keep poor roleplayers and beginners in line and prevent them from just playing some super random character that will valiantly save a carriage full of orphans one day but try to randomly murder a guy on the street because he wants his potato soup.

I personally prefer alignments, but you don't need it anymore in 5th.
>>
>>48530880
>>48530880
>>48530880

Freshly-baked thread time.
>>
>>48530884
Aint no one talkin here nigga, fuck yo loaf
>>
>>48518044
World of Warcraft's Grim Guzzler

The Grim Guzzler's located in a dungeon filled with - guess what - Dark (Iron) Dwarves, so I say that it makes sense that there would be a tavern.
Seriously.
They're dwarves.

But if they have:
a farm & brewery (or a trade system set up with someone who does)
a nearby brewery to raid from
or some other source of beer

then yeah, I'd say that it would make sense to have an inn/bar/pub/tavern/whatever in a dungeon.

It could even be a front, make the ruins look less abandoned or something.
>>
>>48519015
I'd agree with disadvantage, maybe bring the damage up to 1d6-1 (min 1) damage/round.
>>
>>48531025
I'm getting dorf fortress vibes now.
>>
File: rqrjj.jpg (66KB, 637x604px) Image search: [Google]
rqrjj.jpg
66KB, 637x604px
I'm a shitty DM still new to the game, but I'd like to do my best to make my player's actions have consequences, even if it's as small as how people treat them.

Most notably a few of my players have chosen to play some relatively exotic races compared to what's commonly accepted where the game is taking place.

I've got a
>Dark Elf / Drow
>Tiefling
>Dragonborn
and less impressively a
>Half-Elf

I think that this is a great opportunity for fun conflict-heavy stories with alot of flavor directed towards their characters. I'm debating how much NPC's will initially mistrust or even act openly hostile to these kinds of people coming into town / doing business, but I don't want to seem like I'm being too unfair to one or more people or at worst making the game less fun in the process.

What would you do?
>>
>>48531459
well it largely depends on where they are and what their level is. if they're just shitass adventurers at level 1 picking up quests from a board, the most that would possibly happen is the quest poster would try to withhold money, or have a smaller up front deposit. dragonborn i wouldn't even consider all that "racist" to be honest, but they are definitely presented in least to most trustworthy either way
>>
So thinking of DMing CoS for a few friends.

I'm considering having Strahd send out Vampire Spawn to attack the party while they are still a low lvl like 4 or under. Basically he will just send out one vampire for each party member, the party obviously would be overwhelmed with no chance of winning. Idea will be the vampires all knock them down but do not kill them, it's then Strahd will reveal himself clapping and laughing as he thanks the adventurers for the entertainment. He then leaves stating how he expects more in the coming weeks then turns into mist.

Think this would be fun or just dickish on the DM's part? Mostly I think he would just give a clear indication of Strahds character to the party early on.
>>
The final enemy of the campaign is a giant orc that rides a wyvern.

I can't decide how the fight should go, though.

In phases? First phase the orc is on the wyvern, second phase is just the orc after they kill the wyvern? Or does that sound too video game-y?
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.