[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 45

File: Arid Mesa.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Arid Mesa.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Eldritch Moon card image gallery:
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon
>>
File: metagame20160601-20160630.png (105KB, 1218x760px) Image search: [Google]
metagame20160601-20160630.png
105KB, 1218x760px
The overall and paper Modern Metagame

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
>http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
>>
This game is ass. Is there any deck that doesnt need X card or cards in opening hand to be viable? The inclusion of lands in the main deck is just stupid. There is just way to much variance for this to really be competitive.

Play merfolk? Better scoop if you do t have vial in opening hand, same if landless, or to many lands, etc etc etc
Play tron? Better have a way to get tron done in opening hand or scoop.

BTW your deck needs to be at least 600 bucks thanks.

Also matches can take hours. How can this be fun to anyone with a functioning brain?
>>
>>48510427
Lmao. Off to a great start here.
>>
On a scale of 1 to 10 how spicy is my meme /tg/?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dead-fish-1/
>>
File: 5432634264326432632.jpg (13KB, 839x192px) Image search: [Google]
5432634264326432632.jpg
13KB, 839x192px
>>48510543
Still not as big of a meme deck as this one is.
>>
File: en_VGDLAnfFKx.png (167KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_VGDLAnfFKx.png
167KB, 265x370px
Spell Queller looks pretty sweet.
Been testing it in u/w humans and u/w amputation and sales tax
>>
File: Image.png (122KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
122KB, 223x311px
Also been testing thalia, so far she seems to work very well, especially against decks that use flash or vial (resto/fish)
>>
>>48510247
I don't understand how these tiers work. This isn't measuring how good the deck is, it's measuring how popular it is.

Outside of day 2, this is mostly useless right? Except maybe for designing your sideboard?

Am I just reading this incorrectly?
>>
>>48510872

Tiers aren't a measure of how "good" a deck is. For example, it would be silly to say that Eldrazi is "better" than kiki chord because it is slightly higher on the tier list.

Where tiers are useful is preparing for unknown metagames and large events like GP's and Opens. The tier list gives you an idea of what kind of decks are likely to show up that month so you can prepare your maindeck and sideboard accordingly. From this months list I know that Jeskai Control and Infect are still going strong while decks like Elves and Valakut have kind of fallen off the radar, I should prepare accordingly.

If you're trying to pick a deck for a competitive event, you should pick something from tier 1 or tier 2 and get as many reps in with it as you can. Only play decks from tier 3 if you have a lot of experience with the archetype and you feel you have a well-tuned list for the current metagame. Play untiered brews at your own risk, it takes a special type of player to make brews work in modern.
>>
File: 1467923888969.jpg (95KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1467923888969.jpg
95KB, 1000x667px
Who here is Jund? Let's talk strategy and laugh at poorfags who can't afford to be partician.

On a more serious note, how good is kalitas? I see him a lot as a two of, but I think he costs too much and is slow. Thoughts?
>>
>>48511931
Kalitas in Mardu is pretty dank
>>
>>48510765

I've been testing mono white taxes. Like BW but with more tax, less hand disruption & flicker, plays a lot like legacy. Thalia (both flavors) are amazing in the deck.
>>
>>48510543

>two color manabase
>10 fetchlands

dude...
>>
>>48512214
>Mardu = Jund
fucking kek
>>
>>48512266
>not running as many feches as possible for maximum deck thinning™
See me after class anon-kun
>>
File: 86.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
86.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>48511931
>On a more serious note, how good is kalitas? I see him a lot as a two of, but I think he costs too much and is slow. Thoughts?
Not a Jundfag but I would run him just for the incidental grave hate and lifegain.

The more you can defeat narrow, linear strategies like Burn and Dredge with mainboard cards the more space you have in your sideboard for other matchups. That's one of the things that made Deathrite Shaman so powerful.
>>
>>48512214
But you already have life gain and he's a non-bo with path. His body is mediocre too.
>>
>>48512329

>burning life in a tempo deck for next to no reason

The games won't last long enough for you to profit from "thinning". T12-15 the game will be long over.
>>
>>48511211
Then why do people use "tier" incorrectly then?

Example being " X deck is good, but not good enough to be tier 1"

..So it's not good enough to be popular?

I mean, I see the use of a popularity chart, but the word tier here is definitely misleading.
>>
>>48512441

Popularity is usually related to powerlevel, as people tend to gravitate toward stronger decks.
>>
>>48512441
Just because people use it incorrectly doesn't mean that it isn't a useful concept.

There are some decks that likely won't ever be Tier 1 because of their nature. For instance, Ad Nauseam is a good deck that can ace tournaments but it probably won't ever see play as a Tier 1 deck because of how fragile, slow, and non-interactive it is. If enough people started playing it to make it tier 1, a similar amount of targeted discard and fast aggro would be there to knock it down.

Most Tier 1 decks have that title because they don't really have any bad matchups or are capable of just muscling through their bad matches with a good draw. This makes them a good choice for most events, so they see more play and usually get more results. But this doesn't mean they're good decks that always get results, Affinity and Burn have really bad conversion rates from day 1 to day 2 but still are tier 1 because of how popular they are and how they shape every other deck's sideboard.
>>
File: my_car.jpg (38KB, 888x592px) Image search: [Google]
my_car.jpg
38KB, 888x592px
>tfw making good results with Esper Rally
The green splash is actually the most important part.
>>
>>48512636
Don't 100% agree with this because people tend to gravitate what's strong AND easy enough to play (see Burn in T1). But yeah, I get what you mean.

>>48512644
>Just because people use it incorrectly doesn't mean that it isn't a useful concept.
Yeah, not arguing that it's not useful, it really is useful, but I think the word tier is directly associated with strict power level.

>There are some decks that likely won't ever be Tier 1 because of their nature. For instance, Ad Nauseam is a good deck that can ace tournaments but it probably won't ever see play as a Tier 1 deck because of how fragile, slow, and non-interactive it is. If enough people started playing it to make it tier 1, a similar amount of targeted discard and fast aggro would be there to knock it down.

This is a good point I really didn't consider, and sort of ties in power level directly with popularity.

The whole thing is still a little off to me, but I guess that clears up a bit of the thought process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk
>>
>>48511931
Kalitas is great when followed up with a removal spell the same turn. everytime i draw Kalitas its in the lategame where Huntmaster would have been better. his upside is insane though.

I have been trying out Courser of Kruphix as a two of and i love him.
>>
>>48511931
Kalitas is pretty cool guy, nothing crazy but he's on par with Huntmaster or P&K. Legendaries trigger my autism so I'd split them up a bit, but running 2-3 is good too.

He's really nice vs abzan combo, P&K is better vs affinity and Huntmaster can take over a grindy game (so can Kalitas, that guy wins stalls and his active ability is so damn underrated in races)

Kali is best if you can kill something as he drops; I highly recommend a Slaughter Pact and/or a Seal of Fire, that way you can get value even if they remove him.

Olivia has been swept aside but lately I feel like she could be really damn good in the mirror. Everyone is jamming Kalitas these days, and she can steal him which might be next level.

If you run tarfire/seal, I would tinker with a one-of that new 5cmc spider (dank dwellers is fine too). He just seems really damn good, I said it before but I swear R&D nerfed him before release, and he still looks good. 4 decent bodies, all with reach, that's a lot of board control for 5 mana (assuming delirium, which is a dumb mechanic imo, but it's the curve topper so it's not too restrictive)
>>
>>48512767
Magic metas at their best are much more complicated than Street Fighter metas because of the variation between decklists and the effect that variance has on tournaments. SF doesn't really have variance so its easy to identify what the best characters are just by looking at their stats, moves, hitboxes w/e. In magic a bunch of players put a lot of thought into their lists to try and win but ultimately factors like variance and small changes between lists determine who wins and loses, as well as skill ofc. So we can't just look at a decks "stats" to see if its good or not, we have to look at a combination of the popularity and results of each archetype to rank them.
>>
>>48508295
When at Competitive Rules Enforcement Level events such as GP and PTTQ (GPTs are now supposed to be run at same judging level as FNMs), be vary of your sleeves. If your sleeves have any kind of marks, you could get a game loss if your opponent calls for a judge. My friend played Eternal Masters sealed, opened a JTMS and double sleeved it for good measure. His opponent saw the double sleeved card in his otherwise monosleeved deck and called a judge, who promptly gave my friend a game loss for playing with a marked card.
>>
>>48510427
For real, how true is this?

I'm a draft baby looking to get into an eternal format, but I keep reading things like this. Is modern brew-able, or am I gonna have to copy a $1200 list and hope for a good opening hand?
>>
>>48510427

> The inclusion of lands in the main deck is just stupid.

Ok, I play belcher/burn or just target your non-land library with balustrade spy.
>>
File: 1469404401548.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1469404401548.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>48513889

It's brew-able, but you better don't even try it as your deck will be horrible (like 95% of people who try to brew but they can't do it for shit).

Probably as horrible as pic related.
>>
>>48513776

>double sleeving a draft deck

For what purpose? Wastes a hell of alot of time.
>>
>>48513993

>eternal masters draft
>pull karakas
>gee I guess I won't waste my time on double sleeving it.

He pulled a price sculptor senpai.
>>
I swear by Elfdritch Evolution. The deck is both inexpensive and pretty impressive for a meme.

18 forests
12 mana elves
4 dwynens elite
4 elvish visionary
4 lead the stampede
2 sylvan messenger
2-4 elvish mystic
1 ezuri
1 maybe dwynen

(expensive components)
4 evo
4 allosaurus
2-4 heritage druid

You can even run 2 boreal druid if you go full budget

Add 2 monters like iona, terastadon, hornet queen, void winnower, elesh norn, cratorhoof, whatever you want. Decimator of provinces, though he can't be tutored by evolution, is really fun in the deck too. Evo gets you messenger, which with stampede gives you so much fodder.

As far as modern decks go this is really inexpensive and surprisingly good. Can be upgraded slowly with lands like pendalhaven, okina, nyx, and cavern of souls, and converted into regular elves for a bit more dosh too.
>>
>>48514021

And I pulled a Mana Crypt and a Top and even then regular sleeving will be enough for a single pod draft(presuming 8 player pod FNM type event) even with MMS or EMA sets. Not like it was a foil card or anything.
>>
>>48513993
If you pulled a 60 dollar mythic in your draft, you too would double sleeve that card ASAP, unless you're a monkey. And when you're playing at CREL events where you get a game loss when caught playing with one double-sleeved card in an otherwise mono-sleeved deck, the solution becomes one of the following:
>Don't play the double-sleeved card
>Double-sleeve your entire deck
>>48513889
By all means try to brew something, but don't spend a single penny on cards until you're confident that your deck is actually good. And the only way to determine if your deck is actually good, is by playing against good decks and not other shit brews. We recently had a new deck type rising with Part the Waterveil being printed in BFZ, opening up for the mono blue Extra Turns deck, so brewing is certainly possible. But if you're not familiar with the format, sleeving up proxies of Burn and playing against other decks is a good way to get into it.
>>
>>48514063

This looks like the list that Hoogland was testing
>>
File: 1469271241986.jpg (13KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1469271241986.jpg
13KB, 480x270px
>>48514063

>elves
>no coco
>no penis-inspector
>>
Esper Gifts Dredge? Dredging an Unburial Rites and Iona into your yard is pretty solid too.
>>
>>48514123
>Things in Esper that are good in your yard
Rites + Iona/Elesh Norn
Lingering Souls
Snapcaster in hand
Prized Amalgam/Bloodghast

Also a question. If one of your two cards off Gifts is a Narcomoeba, does the game consider it as going from your library to your yard and thus triggering?
>>
>>48514123

>calling it "dredge"
>no troll
>no red enablers

How do you even want to go off?
>>
>>48514090

If you're going to double sleeve, then double sleeve ALL your cards, not just one. I feel for your friend but not surprised that it happened to him in a Comp Rel event. Personally speaking I wouldn't have given a shit to call a judge on your friend if he was my opponent but i'd definitely warn him that this is a rule breaking violation that someone else will call him out on.

Even still for a sealed pool i wouldn't double sleeve at all given that sealed sometimes on the pool can allow you to build 2 different decks sometimes so to even double sleeve that amount is. And no I wouldn't double sleeve a 60 mythic in my draft/sealed straight away either given that time is an issue especially so at Comp REL given that even 1 minute late is grounds for a game loss and I'm the guy that pulled a Crypt and a SDT in his packs up above.

If it was a FOIL JTMS then sure I can understand the need to double sleeve it not just for value protection but also to keep a consistently sleeved deck that will eliminate any possible judge calls on playing with a foil in your deck that asinine opponents will attempt to call a judge on you for.
>>
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=12841&d=274550&f=MO
Superfriends deck are now viable! Where's that casual faggot?
>>
>>48514154
No Troll? Nigger no one in the history of Magic has actually cast that fucker. He's literally there for the dredge 6 part of his card. And apparently Narcomoeba does work with Gifts, so Gifts can literally just let me flash in at least 4/4 of P/T in my opponent's turn if nothing else. Vryn's Prodigy will most likely be good here too.
>>
>>48514141
Gifts ungiven says search your library for up to four cards and reveal them. Then put two in your graveyard and the rest in your hand. The cards don't chance zone while going from the library to the graveyard. So I can only assume that Nacromoeba will trigger.
>>
File: 195[1].jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
195[1].jpg
70KB, 312x445px
>>48511931
>GRB
>Jund

Whoever made this should be ashamed.
>>
Will Bedlam Reveler see some play in modern? He doesn't sound too bad in some burn decks, considering he fills up your hand and isn't too bad of a creature even in burn.

>>48514753
I tried the card in commander and have no idea what it's good for, even there.
>>
>>48514796
He's looking great for Storm/Pyromancer.

>no idea what it's good for
Some cards are just for Standard/Limited.
>>
>>48514827
Nice, maybe I can even get some money out of a foil of him then.
>>
>>48512370
He stops big threats like Voice, Wurmcoil and any of the persist creatures, dodges bolt and abrupt decay and can stabilize a board that's behind or close the game if you're ahead. I run 2 of him and 2 Huntmasters in Jund. Both are absolute houses.
>>
>>48515354
How is Shattering Spree working out with so few red sources?
I'm gonna try this list for a while. The signets are for being able to cast Engineered Explosives for any amount of colors I fancy.
>>
>>48515525
As always, I forgot to post the list.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meek-thopters-3/
>>
>>48515525
List 404'd, the Spree was something I threw in without too much thought while building sb, should really go but I haven't found anything I want in that slot yet.
>>
>>48513889
if you want to brew play pauper, modern is a glass cannon format of :
>How fast can i goldfish to kill my opponent
That does not mean that is not fun, i like playing monoU tron, but infect and burn are a pain in the ass
>>
>>48513903
Fuck off. Balustrade spy is my line
>>
>>48512404
>The games won't last long enough for you to profit from "thinning". T12-15 the game will be long over.
So his deck no, but it's ~10 card draws where it starts to matter. If he was sphinx-ing for 15 it would matter.
>>
>>48515965
ye I hate when I rev for 15 and only draw lands
>>
Bedlam Reveler in Storm is an interesting idea.
>>
>>48510232
Flooded Strand in for a Scalding Tarn I am in the process of trading for.
Any suggestions? Bedlam Reveler has been performing incredibly well in testing.

//Creature (12)
2 Bedlam Reveler
4 Delver of Secrets
1 Gurmag Angler
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

//Instant (20)
1 Desperate Ravings
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Mana Leak
1 Murderous Cut
3 Remand
1 Repeal
1 Spell Pierce
2 Spell Snare
1 Terminate
4 Thought Scour

//Sorcery (7)
1 Dreadbore
2 Faithless Looting
4 Serum Visions

//Land (21)
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Creeping Tar Pit
2 Darkslick Shores
2 Island
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Mountain
3 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

SB: 1 Dreadbore
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 1 Hex Parasite
SB: 1 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 2 Izzet Staticaster
SB: 2 Leyline of Singularity
SB: 2 Negate
SB: 1 Shadow of Doubt
SB: 2 Slaughter Games
SB: 2 Sowing Salt
>>
>>48512266
I mean, infect does this and it's t1
>>
>>48510247
That paper meta is strange. Tron, Company, and Burn in tier 2. Ad Nauseam and Scapeshift in tier 3. Is it concerning that so few decks are tier 1 now?
>>
>>48512214
I'd honestly rather run Pia or Lord of Innistrad.
>>
>>48516414
Not really. It's natural for Tier 1 of anything to be rather small, hell I think Modern is actually pretty healthy in that regard. A lot of decks are just instantly pushed out because the top decks just do that particular thing better.

Like, if you are a Midrange grindy deck, and you aren't Jund, you aren't going to be Tier 1. Because Jund just does this particular thing better.

If you are an aggro deck, you aren't going to be faster than Infect/Affinity. In any environment, people will figure out what the optimal line for a particular strategy is, and those builds/characters/etc become T1.

Combo decks in Modern are always going to be relegated to T3 because they're vulnerable, and slow-as-shit. Combo is a viable archetype when it can kill as fast or faster than a good Aggro deck when goldfishing. Occasionally it can steal an event just by being an outlier and correctly predicting a metagame, but they can never be actual metagame-shapers unless the prior condition is met.
>>
>>48512802
How is krufix? I was always wondering what it's used for/ match ups. It's kind of a pet card for me.
>>
>>48516514
>A lot of decks are just instantly pushed out because the top decks just do that particular thing bette
that actually sounds sort of sad
>>
>>48514189

>Nigger no one in the history of Magic has actually cast that fucker. He's literally there for the dredge 6 part of his card.

that's the point of the troll, it's the best dredge enabler, and forcing "autist" dredge you're passing on him and enablers.
>>
>>48516402

Are you running groundswell?
>>
>>48516514
>Combo decks in Modern are always going to be relegated to T3
>Scapeshift and Kiki in the top 3 of T2 right now

Close.
>>
What are some good sideboard options for BW Tokens against Merfolk? Always a shit matchup
>>
>>48517670
not playing a tier 4 deck usually works for me in that matchup
>>
>>48517670

Damnation.
>>
>>48514753
It's a great sideboard card in tthe right deck. I play a control deck that's good against the tier one decks but is pretty bad against Living End and Elves, so I run three jund charm.
>>
>>48515739
I feel like four chalice of the void make the matchup not too bad.
>>
>>48517701
>>48514796
I think they're saying whoever made >>48511931 should be ashamed, because it's in the wrong order.
>>
>>48515168
>jund bros love huntmaster
You haven't seen the true power of the wolfman until you play him in a RUG shell. Flippin all day long and never dies.
>>
dumb question

Switcheroo - Sorcery - Exchange control of two target creatures

does that mean I take 2 of my opponents creatures, or does that mean I swap 1 of my creatures for 1 of their creatures?
>>
>>48518031
>dumb question
Sure is
>>
>>48518080
I thought you card nerds were supposed to be welcoming and nice
>>
>>48518031
>Target one
>Target the other
>Switch places
There you go, nothing special
>>
>>48518122
Well I mean, there really is no mistaking what the card meant. Would you call it a switcheroo if you just took two objects from someone?
>>
>>48518161
that is true, I was just looking at Vedalken Plotter which says "When Vedalken Plotter comes into play, exchange control of target land you control and target land an opponent controls"

So I thought switcharoo would be more literal like this
>>
>>48517186
He has been great so far. I used to play Kitchen Finks in that slot before i decided to switch. Courser just does so much work. 4 toughness means he blocks for days and doesn't die to just one bolt. His ability to place lands from the top of your deck is so good when you are just digging for removal/an actual threat. the life gain is sugar on top. i would play courser over finks any day of the week
>>
Rate my tutelage fog deck...fairly budget compared to average modern deck. Just started in modern so haven't used it much, but it seemsto work well so far
>4x hedron crab
>4x sphinx's tutelage
>4x howling mine
>4x temple bell
>4x holy day
>4x ethereal haze
>4x thought scour
>3x serum visions
>3x archive trap
>3x visions of beyond
>4x flooded strand
>4x glacial fortress
>3x hallowed fountain
>4x ghost quarters
>5x island
>3x plains
Sideboard is a mess, a couple supreme verdicts, leyline of sanctity, some more countermagic and enchantment removal.
Thoughts?
>>
>>48517961
why would i play rug when jund exists
>>
>>48518545
Because it's a totally different kind of deck. Jund is pretty boring and simple
>>
>>48517602
no. 4 become immense, 4 might, 4 mutagenic growth
>>
>>48518122
you thought wrong. I'm p sure magic nerds actually have a reputation for being unwelcoming elitists who shit on people not playing tier decks so idek where you got that idea.
>>
>>48518742
Competitive players, yeah.
The mistake here was asking in the competitive threads instead of the Ask a Judge thread. You only get shit in the AaJ thread if you try to insist you know better than everyone else after you're proven wrong.
>>
>>48518508
Alright, there's a few problems but they can be resolved easily.
>temple bell
It's too slow, compared to a howling mine having the extra mana and a turn earlier is awesome. So what if they draw first, your point is to mill them out. Id drop the bell to at most a 2 of because you don't want infinite mines, you need fogs and wincon
>hedron crab
Seems okay, it's a wall but there are better walls. Wall of omens x4 and wall of essence x2 will do more for you. Sure crab Mills but once your engine is going it doesn't take much to draw them out. As well wall of omens replaces itself and that is very important for having fogs
>archive trap
It isn't a fog and is dead if you need a fog effect. I'd replace with either cryptic (a counter and a fog is insane for you) or jace, architect of thought (his + is a "fog" his - is card advantage and his ult wins games against certain decks)
Move at least 2 verdicts to your main, you *need* path to exile. That card is your bread and butter. I run 4x of them and 1 reality shift to deal with problem permanents
You need dawn charms, theyre fogs and help deal with burn, riot control is also good against burn. You need to negate about 70 damage reasonably if you want to beat burn (if they break your tutelages ans draw out their deck)
One of my favourite spells for this deck as a counter is swan song. You have a 1 mana counter for instants and sourceries and the downside to the card is they get a body that will never hit you.
As for your sideboard I really like kor firewalker. As long as you have counters for their skullcracks he can block most of burn. You also need answers to tron (bribery)
>>
>>48518674
When you're building a grindy midrange deck, always ask yourself this: is it better than jund?
If not, stop building it. In this case the answer is no.
>>
>>48518682

become immense/groundswell is the reason why infect runs so many fetchlands. UW spirits have no reason to do so.
>>
>>48519193
Rug usually isn't midrange.
Delver or combo
>>
>>48519193
Jund memers are the worst. Temur midrange isn't even bad. Jund is just established as good so all players flock to it

>goyf
>counterspells
>huntmaster
>GDD
>Ancestral Vision (see above for value)
>Clique

It has much more but I think dismissing decks for
>LMAO not Jund
is pretty lame.
>>
>>48519212
yeah I know, I was just being a smartass and pointing out that technically a 2 color manabase with 10 fetches can be fine.
>>
>>48519324
delver in modern *is* midrange or even control bc the cantrips suck fat cock.
>>
>>48519393
Stubborn denial's great in rug too.
>>
>>48519393
Blue midrange decks are always a funny one. Midrange is generally dudes ie. sorcery speed, which don't work well with instants. Not to mention counter spells in Modern are fucking awful. The lack of Thoughtseize is also huge. You never wondered why the best 3 colour decks were black? Even the Mardu shitters know they need it.
>>
>>48517515
My point is that you run Troll even if you aren't running green because of the dredge 6.
>>
>>48519498
You don't need thoughtseize as much when you have counters. Mana leak, stubborn denial and to some extent simic charm all work pretty well.

I disagree that instants don't work well with creatures. Goyf, delver and mandrills cost next to nothing so protecting a largely undercosted threat with cheap counters in the early game is pretty effective. New tools like Bedlam reveler could open up more routes for these kind of decks in the future as well.
>>
An insane 4 drop for midrange RUG is Mystic Snake
>>
>>48519578
You're still stuck playing an unfocused mix of tempo and midrange. Why are you countering your opponent's threats when your own threats are supposed to be better value than them? Honestly the only counters I'd consider in blue midrange are Cryptic, Mystic Snake, and Glen Elendra Archmage. Thoughtseize is different in that it reveals their entire hand and let's you gut it at its weakest part.
>>
All-proxy decks are the only way to play modern. There is literally 0 difference between how I play if I payed $80 for a scalding tarn and if I payed $12 for 3. Money =/= skill.
>>
File: image.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
>>48519668
>>
Can RUG midrange be a meme just like revelation for 15, esper draw go and mardu?
>>
>>48519668
>There is literally 0 difference between how I play if I payed $80 for a scalding tarn and if I payed $12 for 3.

There's one major difference: Whether you're in a tournament or not.
>>
>>48519806
uh... that's not actually a difference, anon. you know people can and do play in tournaments with fakes, right?
>>
>>48519852
Don't judges deck check at higher rounds?
>>
>>48520094
they do random dek checks each round at comp rel and once at the beginning of top8. they're checking that the cards you registered are the cards you're presenting to your opponent. even if they were specifically looking for authenticity, they wouldn't be able to tell without unsleeving the cards, and they're jus not going to do that.
>>
>>48518204
Nice, is it worth to run over hunt master?
>>
>>48520094
They're not checking for authenticity.
>>48519806
People play with fakes in tournaments all the time.
>>
>>48520265
That's a sad truth at the moment. Awareness of counterfeits is too low.

If you have experience spotting fakes, it's pretty easy to tell. By easy, I don't mean that I have to break out a loup. Easy means that I can glance at your card across the table while it's in the sleeve and you're probably going to get a DQ. This scenario is rare enough at the moment that it's probably worth the risk. I've never heard of somebody actually calling somebody out on fakes.

A little awareness would do wonders, but there isn't enough pressure on vendors at the moment to spread it. Keeping everybody in the dark may just be the current strategy to minimize counterfeits.
>>
>>48520720
Fuck you. Counterfeits are great
>>
>>48520720
I bet you have a lot of friends and get invited to parties.
>>
Alright guys, I'm looking to build a new deck. I got a budget of 800 dollars. I'm thinking of building infect but I already have affinity and It doesn't really make much sense to build two aggro-oriented decks.
>>
>>48520720
So what is the difference between a scalding tarn if the person payed $8 or $80 for it?
>>
>>48520886
Try making mill. Remember that repeatable milling is best, but hedron crab is pretty crap to be honest.
>>
>>48520886
Okay.
>>
>>48521033
milling doesn't seem very fun desu, but I'll look into it.
>>
>>48521052
If you enjoy losing, it's the way to go. All the people in the bottom brackets at my LGS play it and they have a great time.
>>
>>48521075
I don't particularly enjoy losing, no, but that's not to say I'm only looking for tier one decks.
>>
>>48520194
My list currently doesn't run huntmaster so i guess you could say that. I would say they perform different roles though. huntmaster can end a game super quick where as courser is more of a utility card
>>
>>48521135
Just run merfolk.
>>
>>48521013
You can get someone DQ'd for the $8 one.
It makes your deck vulnerable to judges.
>>
>>48521357
Fakes are so good right now that they're indistinguishable from the real ones. So no, you won't get DQ'd for using a fake land that's indistinguishable from a real one and stays in play for all of 2.5 seconds before going to the graveyard in many plays.
>>
File: 1305813999055.gif (856KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1305813999055.gif
856KB, 320x240px
>>48520720

>tfw being a judge
>tfw being aware of chinamen
>tfw not giving a single fuck about people playing with fakes
>>
>>48521722
You're a shit judge then. I hope you aren't a greedy enough little shit to accept judge foils for failing to do your job.
>>
File: 1456654443624.png (418KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1456654443624.png
418KB, 1366x768px
>>48521722
You're the hero MtG needs.
>>
>>48521738
why don't you just outright say you hate poor people, anon? no karma to worry about here :^)
>>
>>48521738

More like I'm not retarded enough to persecute people who don't want to feed a few grands to jews. If you can obtain good fakes (not some shitty ones that even a 12 years old can distinguish from a real card), it means you keep your shit together and you're smart enough to play this game. I won't run around with a loupe.

Price barrier to play this game is good as long as decks are worth 200-400 bucks at the most.

If anyone thinks that a grand or two for a deck is a fine price then he should joke on a dick (just like all the "investors").
>>
I really REALLY want to use Soul Separator in an efficient way but I just can't.
>>
>>48521853
Your opinion on proxies doesn't matter, if you've agreed to act as a judge it is your role to disqualify players for using fraudulent materials.

You do not get to decide what is and is not allowable in that capacity.
>>
>>48521953
There's no practical way of stopping people using near-perfect fakes you know.
>>
>>48521877
It's a fun card with cool flavor, but I don't think it has any real potential.
>>
>>48521973
That's a much different message than "not giving a single fuck about people playing with fakes".
>>
>>48522008
Probably because I'm a much different poster who just joined the thread to talk about reality.
>>
File: 1453297514300.gif (54KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1453297514300.gif
54KB, 240x240px
>>48521722
Based. As long as the prices are as ridiculous as they are now I don't blame people for using proxies.
>>
>>48521953

There's no rule that tells me to go full spanish inquisition on people. As long as you aren't using a printer tier fake I'm not gonna give a single fuck.
>>
File: Image.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>48522004
Like, it's basically a game ender with Tree of Perdition, but so is Triskaidekaphobia, which is a faster cheese.

You can also get some monster tokens out for pretty cheap by turn 5, but against anyone with half a brain you prolly won't get that far.
>>
>>48520886
A real man plays Mardu.
>>
>>48522201
I've been playing mardu tokens, for a few days. It's actually not all that bad. Running white gives you a better MU against burn and zoo than jund has.
>>
>>48518200
Switcheroo lets you exchange control of two creatures controlled by two opponents. Vedalken Plotter doesn't.
>>
I'm about to brew some decks. On the menu are:
>UR Storm with 4 Bedlam Reveler
>Ascendancy with 4 Bedlam Reveler
>UW Hatebears
>Dredge Gifts
I'll probably close the tab before finishing and cry myself to sleep. Wish me luck!
>>
>>48522230
How so?
>finks
>feed the clan
>huntmaster
>scooze
>>
>>48519498
>>48519498
We sure do senpai.
>>
>>48522264
>UR Storm with 4 Bedlam Reveler
I played against this on XMage last night.

_________________________It's garbage________________________
>>
>>48518508
Cut the crabs and run 4x Cryptic Command main.
Remand is a tempo card that draws you a card, which could be good.
Dictate of Cruphix is a Howling Mine with flash.
Alhammarret's Archive as a 1 of sounds dank.
Rest in Peace is a needed sideboard card. I would also have countermagic to protect your tutelages. Spellskite is needed vs infect, I suppose?
>>
>>48522330
Were you still using Electromancers? That could've been the problem.
>>
>>48517670
Ghostly Prison.
Engineered Explosives for 2.
Ghost Quarter your own land if they put Spreading Seas on it.
>>
>>48522330
Also how did you find using Reveler as a win condition? Cast 6 spells, swing for 9, Grapeshot for 7.
>>
>>48519777
If you by RUG midrange mean Temur Delver, then no. RUG delver is a very strong modern deck. Esper draw go beats every combo deck (though not Turns post-sideboard if the Turns player runs dispels in sideboard).
Mardu tokens is a decent tier 3 deck, nothing memeish about it.
>>
>>48522455
>RUG delver is a very strong modern deck
This guy gets it
>>
>>48522352
>>48522430
I played AGAINST it. He mostly durdled around casting cantrips. His ascensions, electromancers, and revelers ate counters/removal and I beat his face in.
>>
>>48522503
That could've been the problem then. Electromancer is already cuttable, and playing it alongside Reveler is dumb for a number of reasons. That guy just hamfisted it honestly.
>>
>>48522455
Gentlemen, I think we've got a new meme deck on our hands.
>>
>>48522581
'Mancer is the strongest ritual you have though. I think the deck would be much slower without it.
>>
File: DSC_0001.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0001.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>48522618
>>
>>48522625
Many UR Storm decks aren't even using it anymore.
>>
>>48522625
http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=184&meta=51&f=MO

Most of the lists on there don't run Electromancer. More lists are running Meme in the Ice than Electromancer. Storm won MKM's first Modern tournament and didn't run a single creature.
>>
4x Bedlam Reveler
4x Desperate Ritual
4x Gitaxian Probe
2x Grapeshot
4x Manamorphose
3x Past in Flames
4x Pyretic Ritual
4x Pyromancer Ascension
3x Remand
3x Serum Visions
4x Sleight of Hand
4x Thought Scour

3x Sulfur Falls
2x Shivan Reef
3x Island
3x Mountain
4x Scalding Tarn
2x Steam Vents

Meme list #1 for the night.
>>
File: teffers.jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
teffers.jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>48522455
>Esper draw go beats every combo deck (though not Turns post-sideboard if the Turns player runs dispels in sideboard).
Esper can still run pic related in the sideboard if they want to totally shit on combo, turns included.
>>
4x AEther Vial
4x Azorius Guildmage
4x Eldrazi Displacer
4x Flickerwisp
4x Judge's Familiar
4x Leonin Arbiter
4x Path to Exile
4x Spirit of the Labyrinth
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Thought-Knot Seer

4x Plains
3x Geier Reach Sanitarium
3x Ghost Quarter
4x Hallowed Fountain
1x Island
4x Adarkar Wastes
1x Eiganjo Castle

Full steam on the meme!
>>
>>48522906
Should probably swap some TKS's and Flickerwisps for Ojutai's Command. Card is good.
>>
>>48520742

People buy Magic cards because they believe they have value. I would 100% approve of WotC turning M:tG into a print-on-demand LCG, but that's currently not the reality we live in. Magic owes a lot of it's longevity, polish, and throughput to the CCG model. The secondary market needs to deflate somehow, but counterfeits will do a lot more damage than that.

>>48520783
I do not construct reality, I just describe it.

>>48521013
There is no difference. There is however a difference between a pack scalding tarn and a counterfeit scalding tarn. These differences will currently go unnoticed at most events.

>>48521675
The technology to make the fakes you are describing does not exist.
WotC couldn't make another zendikar scalding tarn even if they wanted to. The appearance of a card is intimately tied to the manufacturing process, and the process changes slightly with every set. I assure you that that your fakes are different.

>>48521973
Near-perfect fakes do not exist.

Let me put it this way. After zendikar was printed, the machines used to do so were put down for a brief maintenance period. After this, WotC assembled a new production line for the event deck that contained a verdant catacombs. The new catacombs is noticeably different, even though it's superficially the same exact card in every way. China's fakes are much more noticeable than the event deck.

I am an industrial machinist and toolmaker that constructs dies. The machines used to print and collate Magic cards are large and expensive. There are fewer than a dozen such machines in the country, and they have to be adjusted for every single set. Such a machine would very easily cost over $25,000 just for small-scale production. China would have to sell over 12,000 scalding tarns just to break even if they used the same kind of tech WotC does, and that tech itself cannot make convincing fakes.

The fakes are getting better, but the technology to make them undetectable does not exist yet
>>
>>48522991
It's not about them being undetectable and it never was. It's about them being good enough that no one would bat an eyelash to them in double sleeving from across the table.
>>
>>48523026
>in double sleeving

That seems pretty sketchy itself. I've never played double-sleeved or seen anyone play double-sleeved.
>>
>>48523080
I'd find it weirder if someone at an event WASN'T using double sleeves. I just dropped in at my LGS's Modern FNM after work and a guy was playing Allies. Caverns, Vials, Canopies, none of that shit in double sleeves. I was cringing. Then he talked about how sometimes he'd split a sleeve and I just wept for his cards.
>>
>>48523080
All my Modern and Legacy decks are double sleeved. KMC Perfect Fit + Dragon Shield Matte.
>>
>>48523106
>>48523111
How is that at all necessary?
I've been playing for years now and none of my cards have suffered noticeable wear single-sleeved. Are people just ramming cards together while "shuffling"?
>>
>>48523153
>How is that at all necessary?
It's not necessary, but you might as well. It protects the tops better and makes them impervious to water damage.
>>
>>48523153
1. Dirt can get in through the top of the sleeve
2. Small movements within the sleeve can scuff the card face over time
>>
>>48523106
I've never played double sleeved. Not even with P9.
>>
>>48523246
Then you're a liar or only play on your kitchen table.
>>
>>48523080
I'm literally the only one at my LGS that hasn't double sleeved everything.
And I will do it eventually.
>>
>>48523251
>Then you're a liar or only play on your kitchen table.
Neither of those statements is true.
>>
>>48523301
Liar it is then.
>>
>>48523462
You base your assertion on faulty assumptions.

I haven't played vintage since 2006. P9 wasn't worth nearly as much back then.
>>
>>48523153
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ErMkA_c_c&t=1m50s
Literally this is why.

The only con to doublesleeving is that it makes your deck a bit thicker and thus slightly more difficult to handle shuffle-wise. Double-sleeved EDH decks are unwieldy as fuck. This is still outweighed vastly by all the benefits it offers.
>>
>>48523670
>He literally submerges cards completely for 10 seconds and not a tiny bit of water gets to the cardboard
Alright I knew double sleeving was good but DAMN son.
>>
are there any MU's where junk is better than jund?
>>
>>48523885
Affinity? Jund? Lingering Souls really is a house you know.
>>
>>48523885
Control, maybe Tron? Basically any MU where you want Lingering Souls, Path, and white SB cards.
>>
File: Death's Shadow.xlhq.jpg (411KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Death's Shadow.xlhq.jpg
411KB, 745x1040px
Finished Death's Shadow Aggro (Zooicide) in paper after testing it on Xmage.

Here's the primer:
http://www.mtgmintcard.com/articles/writers/magnus-lantto/deaths-shadow-aggro-guide-part-2
>>
>>48523885
Burn and control if you run voice
>>
>>48523885
faeries
>>
File: rd8_fm_hero_0[1].jpg (101KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
rd8_fm_hero_0[1].jpg
101KB, 768x432px
>>48525373
is this you?
>>
>>48525453
I think he got 2nd place in the WMCQ with the deck recently.
>>
>>48522663
Temur Delver isn't exactly a meme. It's just a fine deck.
>>
>>48526445
>>48522663
This anons deck actually looks fun and breddy good. Fuckin memers gonna meme though
>>
>>48526445
>>48526705
Why isn't this on the tier list when grixis is
>>
>>48525373
I really like this.

Personally, I'd cut the sideboard forest for a Dryad Arbor. It acts as a forest for the most part, but being able to fetch a creature is sweet in that deck.

I personally don't like 3 Thoughtseize and would go down to 2, although that could be wrong, in favor if adding onto either Bolt or Lynx. Maybe even cutting a Lynx to go 4 Bolt for extra interaction and reach.

Thoughts/opinions zooicide bro?
>>
File: modern RW equip.jpg (56KB, 406x672px) Image search: [Google]
modern RW equip.jpg
56KB, 406x672px
plz r8, equipment spice
>>
>>48528244

Lands are budget and forgot ghost quarter
>>
>>48527841
It's a fine deck. You have better options and thus nobody plays it.
>>
>>48522663

>good mana base
>good cards
>a single tarfire to make goyf bigger

Where's the meme? They promised me memes.
>>
are goblin guides and blood moons worth buying for a red deck wins deck?
>>
>>48530896
>Are playsets of two awesome cards that can slot into multiple decks worth buying?

Yes. The answer is almost always yes. Buy them now, because they'll only go up.
>>
>>48530938
ok thanks man i know they are good but they are so expensive i was wondering if they are even worth putting into the deck
>>
>>48521722
Based, I brought Jund and all the cards are legit but I don't care if people play with fakes, I like my cards real and I have fuckloads of disposable income, I don't begrudge people for being poor or just smarter with their money than I am
>>
>>48522312
All suck compared to Firewalker and Timely.
>>
>>48528244
Needs Loxodon Warhammer and Stoneforge Mystic
>>
>>48528244
Why no bolts?
>>
>>48528244
>only 2 puresteel paladins
You are making a very big mistake
>>
File: 1457666208290.png (188KB, 765x981px) Image search: [Google]
1457666208290.png
188KB, 765x981px
>>48521853
>>48522146

>Veterans at my local scene complain not enough people play Modern
>Newer players are apprehensive, think they're not ready
>Some of the vets say it's easy, just take their Standard deck and doll it up with some of the Tarkir block cards they got and they'll do JUST FINE at the next Modern night
>Next Modern Night the new players get demolished by people running Tier 1 Netdecks
>Veterans say the new players "only" need to drop around 1000 dollars or so to get the necessities to build a "real" Modern deck
>Next week the Veterans are complaining that not enough people play Modern

When a game has a bigger barrier of getting into than endgame content of an late 90s or early 2000s MMO that shows there is a gigantic issue.
>>
>>48532464
>500 hours of grinding and farming
>500 hours of working times X dollars an hour
Anon...
>>
File: 7547568568.jpg (8KB, 323x241px) Image search: [Google]
7547568568.jpg
8KB, 323x241px
What's your quickest won game yet?

Tfw opponent starts by fetching into your 4x archive trap.
>>
>>48532885
one time I kept a hand with two become immense against an opponent I knew was in mill. I cast them both on t2.
>>
>>48530938
....Or down, if they get reprinted.
>>
>>48532900
That's why I think only viable mill option is the extirpate/extraction version. It's just not playable, if you can't get rid off win cons.
>>
>>48532908
>it's just not playable

ftfy
>>
>>48532904
>Get reprinted

That's hilarious.
>>
>>48532908
>viable mill
that's an oxymoron
>>
>>48522455
>RUG delver is a very strong modern deck.
>Mardu tokens is a decent tier 3 deck
Keep them coming my man.
>>
>>48529670
The meme is that you're shelling out for goyf and expensive fetchlands to play a tier 3 deck
>>
>>48533116
Lantern Control won a GP.
>>
>>48521033
Worst advice
>>
>>48533184
it's not a mill deck you fucking scrub. it's a prison deck. it *sometimes* wins by decking the opponent. when people here say "mill," and especially when they talk about how shitty it is, you and I both know they mean aggro mill with hedron crabs and archive traps.
>>
>>48533231
>it *sometimes* wins by decking the opponent
It always does, Ghirapur Aether Grid is too slow in the current meta and looping spellbomb is just not worth the risk of having to tap your mana. No need to get so buttblasted.
>>
>>48533251
it wins by the opponent conceding. good job avoiding my point about mill meaning aggro mill.
>>
Did someone tried Curious Homonculus, Unsubstantiate, and Bedlam Reveler in some kind of delver deck ?
They look sweet, but I didn't have the time to test them yet.
>>
>>48510247
Did Merfolk get cool new toys last set or why is it t1 now?
>>
>>48533318
it's not t1 in paper, but it's been in the ~1.5 range for almost a year now. it's strong, but can't ever beat affinity and I think that kind of suppresses it. I'd expect it to spike hard if anything from affinity got a ban.
>>
>>48533318
It keeps jumping from top of tier 2 to bottom of tier 1 and then back again. It's been like that for a while.
>>
File: 1465536912333.gif (790KB, 245x169px) Image search: [Google]
1465536912333.gif
790KB, 245x169px
>>48521722
Stay based, Judge-kun
>>
>>48533304
>Curious Homonculus, Unsubstantiate
no lol
> Bedlam Reveler
A lot of people are testing it in grixis delver(the only viable delver in modern), but grixis delver is a very tight list that doesn't have a lot of flex slots. There is simply nothing to take out for Reveler, especially because it's a nonbo with the delve creatures.
>>
File: Vampiric Tutors.jpg (305KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Vampiric Tutors.jpg
305KB, 2048x1152px
So I got four Vampiric Tutors here from Visions. Alle NM/M. One of them is fake.
Can you spot the one, /tg/?
>>
>>48532904
>down, if they get reprinted.

Blood Moon did get reprinted.
It went up in price since then.
>>
>>48533438
Why not ?
It's a 3/4 prowess for 2 with almost no downsides and a less good and more flexible remand, that doesnt sound bad to me.
But I'm more of a kitchen table player and I doesnt know much about modern
>>
>>48533493
3?
>>
>>48533493
2nd from the right? That could just be the lighting and camera focus though.

>>48533359
Didn't merfolk beat out affinity in the finals of a GP pretty recently? I remember the match since the affinity player was a 13 year-old. Glossing over the fact that makes me sound like a pedophile, the kid played the deck very well and did not make any major mistakes I could see.
>>
>>48533493
Gonna guess #2
>>
>>48533493

3rd from the lest

To tell the truth they all look real. So let me guess, all of them are fakes?
>>
>tfw playing mardu tokens
>tfw everybody memeing on me ITT
>tfw it actually does well against T1/T2 decks
>>
>>48533570
Yeah except if requires 6 sorc/instants in the gy for it to be 2 cmc. Which sucks because you're running 5-6 delver creatures which feed on your gy. That and what would you take out for 2x Reveler?
>>
>>48534103
Mind posting a list?
>>
>>48534320
http://deckstats.net/deck-10726860-6342cbb673f4ae370c8ea0334232738f.html
>>
>>48532885
T1 with grishoalbrand
Blackcleave, 2 spirit guides, griselbrand, faithless looting, manamorphose

It was a mull to 6 and I just said fuck it, looted and hit the Goryo's. Guy even had a parth up but I won through it anyway. Deck is fucked up at times. I love it.
>>
>>48533152
That's not an unfathomable amount of money for everyone
>>
>>48533152
This seems more like something you just do if you've already got the Goyfs and fetches and feel like playing something different some random night. Nothing else is expensive in the deck.
>>
>>48534121
That's why you run it in blue red delver. Even get to maindeck blood moons.
>>
>>48534001
ding ding
>>
Hey guys. I just got into modern recently, and I'm trying to build a budget zoo deck. Currently I'm just playing Gruul since I don't have the lands to make Naya work. What do you think should be the first thing to grab for my deck? I know lands, and switching to Naya are a fairly high priority, but is there anything that should be edited immediately besides that?

4x Kird Ape
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Experiment One
1x Dryad Militant
4x Flinthoof Boar
4x Burning Tree Emissary
4x Reckless Bushwhacker
4x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4x Rancor
4x Lightning Bolt
1x Pillar of Flame
10x Mountain
10x Forest
>>
hey guys, new to these threads
what do you guys think is the best control in modern right now, probably grixis, right?
im currently using bogles and looking to upgrade into a control deck
>>
>>48536445
Best control deck is Jeskai Nahiri. It's almost literally a twinless twin shell with Nahiri ult + Emrakul as the wincon. I personally haven't seen it in action, but it seems decent. Technically tier 1, but that hardly means.much.
>>
>>48536167
Should probably fix your manabase first. Get fetchlands while they still have reasonable prices.
>>
>>48536445
Jeskai Nahiri as mentioned is strong.
Esper draw-go is great against combo and other control decks, but struggles versus the fastest aggro decks.
I've been playing mono blue Extra Turns quite some, and I must say it really is a blast, and probably my favorite deck right now. It's a control-combo deck where you delay your opponent until turn 6 or so before chaining a flurry of "take an extra turn" spells. Here's my list:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
>>
>>48528244
Might want to try Kazuul's Toll Collector with Sunforger meme too.
>>
Do you think Splendid Reclamation Dredge can be a thing or is graveyard hate too strong?
>>
>>48538656
>T1 Amulet of Vigor
>T2 Ste
>T3 Scapeshift, Splendid Reclamation
And that's how you hit 8 land on turn 3.
>>
>>48538656

>not a dredge deck
>call it dredge

That triggers my autism.
>>
>>48538704
Oh, I was referring to this Woo Brew:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwZWJABZCzU
>>
>>48538757
>Hot fire
That he uses to cremate Jews?
>>
Threadly reminder that chinamen are saving modern
>https://youtu.be/70cbNJrs2Xw
>>
File: JUST.jpg (19KB, 217x320px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
19KB, 217x320px
I've made a massive mistake guys. After a lot of testing and changes I finally got around to building bant company in modern and the results have been less than stellar. I don't know if I should keep making changes to the deck or if I should just straight up cut my losses and build something else. Somebody save me.
>>
>>48539630
Do you have goyfs? If not, that's a problem
>>
>>48539630
I don't see how it could possibly be bad since there's so many fucking retarded things you could be hitting that are already great in midrange grindy value lists.

>Eternal Witness
>Vendilion Clique
>Geist of Saint Traft
>Tarmogoyf
>Kitchen Finks
>Knight of the Reliquary
>Rhox War Monk
>>
what do you guys think about this deck
seems decent, is it worth building?
>>
>>48539806
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-thing-ascension#paper
>>
>>48539806
It looks like absolute shit. At least have grapeshot or some shit.
>look I spent my entire deck to have a 7/8 vanilla beater. Please don't use any interaction on him k thx
>>
>>48539846
welp, im looking for a modern control deck under 800$ and im kinda screwed
>>
>>48539668
I've thought about running them.

>>48539725
I think my plan is to make space for more value creatures. I was running Rhox War Monk as a one of but dropped it. I'll probably bring it back. I need to get a clique and I already have a geist on the way. I think the creatures I was dipping into blue for were the real issue (Phantasmal, Meddling mage, and Reflector Mage). They were too heavy in my main board.
>>
>>48539890
>Phantasmal Image
I wouldn't bother.
>Meddling Mage
Nigger why?
>Reflector Mage
This is Modern you faggot.
>>
File: come on now.jpg (8KB, 236x213px) Image search: [Google]
come on now.jpg
8KB, 236x213px
>>48539890
>Meddling Mage in mainboard
>>
>>48510247
i think you counted in mono U tron as RG tron
>>
File: yaaaaa gomen gomen.jpg (6KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
yaaaaa gomen gomen.jpg
6KB, 217x232px
>>48539901
>Phantasmal Image
I know that now, but it was nuts in testing.

>Meddling Mage
In testing I found that it did more than just cripple combo decks, it also gave me an edge in other match ups. Cut to now however, all I ever do is sigh when I draw it. It was such an undeniable mistake.

>Reflector Mage
Ehhh, it's certainly not mainboard material, I know that now. I still think it has a place as a sideboard card in modern.

>>48539939
I know anon, I know...
>>
I wouldn't mind brewing Bant Midrange. I'm confident that all 3 colour combinations can have solid midrange lists barring maybe Esper just because it doesn't have the reach of Bolt or the efficient threat of Goyf.
>>
File: skill rhino.gif (39KB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
skill rhino.gif
39KB, 500x516px
>>48540041
wait a minute...
company...
collected company???
ABZAN???
WITHOUT THE CORE CARD???
>>
>>48540131
Sorry mate, it's bant company. Now get you're degenerate rhino out of here.
>>
>>48540268
No it's a generic bant value list. Company just happens to flash in a pair of 3 mana creatures for 4 mana at instant speed.
>>
>>48540268
wtf i hate magic now
i am now a #HearthStoner
>>
>>48539630
We're here for you man.

Post your decklist minus your landbase, Bant is sweet.
>>
>>48540041
you playing spell queller?
>>
>>48540385
I'm sorry, I went too far.

>>48540422
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-06-16-bant-company/
You might want to avert your gaze friend. Keep in mind that those are American prices and I'm Canadian.

>>48540434
I've seen quite a bit of discussion over this card but I haven't had time to think about it's place in my deck. I am heavily considering getting myself a copy of the new Thalia though.
>>
>>48540292
What do you think a company list is?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-shit-modern-boogaloo/

What do you guys think of this list? Have been testing on xmage and had a moderate amount of sucess. I want a list that's good against aggro, since it's all faggots play at my LGS.
>>
>play an Eldrazi ramp deck
>everytime I get a big creature like Endless One or Desolation Twin it either gets countered or instantly hit with some kind of suppression enchantment

What do? This is fucking gay.
>>
File: Stubborn Denial.png (121KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Stubborn Denial.png
121KB, 223x311px
>>48541384
>>
what do you guys think about mono U tron
can it be better than RG
i had more success with it
>>
>>48541401

Oh fuck my ass, give me 20. I was thinking of getting "Not Of This World" but I mean fuck, I'll take that.
>>
>>48541430
no lol haha
>>
>>48541430
I really don't like U Tron. UW Tron, though not great, seems passable.

Neither is better than RG Tron.
>>
>>48539630
Are you in the wrong format's thread or something?
>>
>>48522784
I dot see how this does anything to turns. Or any other comBo deck for that matter. Is this another meme?
>>
>>48522455
I've never lost to Esper draw-go as ad nauseam. It's a joke matchup.
>>
>>48523080

My friend double sleeves his mythics and good rares.
>>
File: harmlessoffering.jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
harmlessoffering.jpg
42KB, 265x370px
What do I do with this?
>>
>>48542078
Throw it away
>>
>>48542101

But it's a rare.
>>
>>48542121
Lmao
>>
>>48542159

Nevermind, found a use for it.
>>
>>48540591
This is the anon who said I'll help, sorry it took so long.

Go out and buy a Tamiyo, right now.
I'm serious, she's broken.

Here's something I just threw together. there's potential for a lot of silver bullets and a bit of sweet synergy, bant seems pretty fun.

This list isn't tuned whatsoever but it might give you some ideas.

I do like Meddling Mage sb, but the deck lacks 2cmc creatures (i dont personally like goyf in the list too much, between the scooze, path and queller, plus he's 500$)
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>48542570
Pic
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>48541371
The fuck am I looking at senpai? I'm all for brewing but I don't think this deck should leave the virtual world.

>>48541430
>can mono U tron be better than RG?
Hahahahahaha! Thanks anon, I really needed a laugh today.

>>48542078
>>48542451
Don't forget about aggressive mining friend.
>>
>>48542602

Holy fuck I only just realised it doesn't say "until end of turn". Holy fuck you could ruin someone's entire day with that.
>>
>>48542658
Don't worry pal, it's what I'm here for.

>>48542570
>>48542592
Oh jeez I'm actually really liking some of the creatures in this list man. I only just caught on to the point of spell queller in the deck (jesus that could be gross). Brimaz helps with my problem against degenerate aggro so that's nice (is courser there to serve the same purpose?). Eiganjo and Okina also seem pretty useful. Do you think there's any space in the deck for the new Tamiyo or is she too slow?
>>
Who here uses fakes and of those who have managed to get fakes into tournament play?
>>
>>48523885
Twin
>>
>>48542602
>The fuck am I looking at senpai? I'm all for brewing but I don't think this deck should leave the virtual world.
As I said, I've been having success. If you could tell me, preferably in detail, why this deck is bad against: naya burn and zoo, affinity and merfolk I'll be listening. Bonus points if you tell me why this deck is bad against Mellira Company and Tron, since the first ones are 80% of the fucking decks I play at my LGS and the other two are about 15% and I've been having some good results on xmage.
>>
>>48542895
I have a playset of every one of the Zendikar fetches. Played them recently at the GP SĂŁo Paulo. Judges and other players looked at my cards and weren't even suspicious. Just make sure to double sleeve.
>>
>>48542810
I have her as a 1 of in that list, but you could play more. She's so damn powerful. It's like Nahiri, 4cmc walker with insane loyalty, her plus is so much more though, and her minus handles creatures even better.

Courser is just a second nice 3cmc with an unboltable butt. he can help you hit land drops which is nice and he has synergy with a lot of the cards. the lil lifegain is cute, too.

I think thalia and geist deserves a spot in the deck, she's and geist are so nice on turn 2 with noble.

Tracker is a pet card, he does cute things with the other cards too.

I like duskwatch turn 2 queller turn 3, he threatens to flip which can be a huge play, and the deck felt like it needed more 2cmc

Eiganjo is just amazing in any hatebears shell with a legendary, simply having it on the battlefield threatening to activate it does so much work. Okina as well.
>>
>>48510232
So I've got a new Thalia, and Declaration in Stone. Are either going to see modern play, or should I sell them now?
>>
>>48543512
If it makes you feel any better, I like the deck a lot anon.

>>48543743
I'll have something ready for you guys tomorrow after I make some changes. I really like where this deck is going. If there's a modern general tomorrow I'll be sure to post.
>>
>>48513889
If by brew you mean 100% original deck then no not really. If you mean tweaking and tuning a deck for your meta then yes.

As for price it depends on what deck you want to play. And certain decks can perform better on a budget than others.
>>
>>48543995
>If it makes you feel any better, I like the deck a lot anon.
I don't feel bad or anything. I'm actually asking for advice because as much as I manage to make good-ish results with my current deck and I really like it, the fact that the amount of aggro decks in my LGS makes it a bad deck to play 50% of the time. This deck is a combination of colors that I enjoy playing and seems to be making decent results vs aggro and non-counter based control.
>>
>>48510427
>Also matches can take hours.
Only if you play modern on a kitchen table you moron.
>>
>>48544159
>the amount of aggro decks in my LGS makes it a bad deck to play 50% of the time
Fixed.
>>
File: kek.jpg (10KB, 280x261px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
10KB, 280x261px
>>48510427
>hearthstone players delves into a game where deckbuilding takes actual skill
>>
File: UBTempo.png (21KB, 656x235px) Image search: [Google]
UBTempo.png
21KB, 656x235px
>>
>>48539630

You make Bant Hatebears instead.
>>
File: Succumb to Temptation_EMN.jpg (23KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Succumb to Temptation_EMN.jpg
23KB, 223x311px
>>48545295
>Not playing UB control with 4 Tec Edge, 4 Shadow of Doubt, pic rel for card draw and Kalitas as a finisher
It's like you don't want Mana Leak to be live on turn 20.
>>
File: unforgivn_ii-Arcbound_ravager.jpg (42KB, 300x433px) Image search: [Google]
unforgivn_ii-Arcbound_ravager.jpg
42KB, 300x433px
hows my affinity list looking?

i need steel overseers and glimmervoids till the deck is complete, but it's functional for now

sideboard help? i'm kind of a mix match of a few sideboards but I really don't know how to optimize it. what's a good sideboard for the current meta?

Maindeck:
4 signal pest
4 vault skirge
4 ornithopter
4 cranial plating
4 inkmoth nexus
4 blinkmoth nexus
4 darksteel citadel
4 arcbound ravager
4 galvanic blast
4 mox opal
3 thoughtcast
3 etched champion
3 memnite
3 springleaf drum
2 ensoul artifact
2 glimmervoid
1 spellskite
1 master of etherium
1 mountain
1 island

sideboard:
2 relic of progenitus
2 ancient grudge
2 whipflare
2 spell pierce
1 blood moon
1 izzet staticaster
1 grafdiggers cage
1 blood moon
1 thoughtseize
1 ghirapur aether grid
1 torpor orb
1 wear//tear
>>
>>48546835
Idk much about affinity but your sideboard should be in reaction to your local metagame whatever people are playing you should use your sideboard to shut down their deck
>>
File: kotr2.jpg (102KB, 700x514px) Image search: [Google]
kotr2.jpg
102KB, 700x514px
>>48539890
>I was running Rhox War Monk as a one of but dropped it
I've been brewing Bant Company for a while and I keep coming back to this guy too. But I think 4xFinks is better for any situation that you might want babbyrhino. Maybe for game2 if you know they're going to side in Magma Spray.
>I think the creatures I was dipping into blue for were the real issue
I dipped into blue almost entirely for Retreat to Coralhelm. Geist and Hedron Crab were just incidental.
>Meddling mage
Tried this in sideboard. Really bad even if you're running probes, which the deck doesn't have room for. She's a better fit for Esper where you can run her alongside Thoughtseize/IoK.

>>48540434
I just picked up 4x Queller for standard, so I can test this out too. I feel like it could be a better alternative to Clique since giving my opponent card advantage AND land advantage (Path) is a bit much.

>>48542570
>Go out and buy a Tamiyo, right now.
Already traded for her too. She seems strong. Like REALLY strong.

>>48518204
I like Courser a lot, but because of the KotR/Coralhelm combo, he's really fucking annoying. Not only do I have 10+ Landfall triggers to keep track of if I combo out, I have to reveal the top card of my library inbetween each library search. If you're not running Coralhelm though, I'm sure he's fine.
>>
I'm playing restore balance with nahiri and emrakul combo. Am I fag yet?
>>
>>48543930

Thalia yes, Declaration in Stone no(if it was instant speed then 100% yes).

In regards to Declaration in Stone, Path to Exile is a better exile effect for less and if you want to hit a comparable card to hit a bunch of creatures with the same name 2 cmc there's Bile Blight. Be that as it may for Sorcery speed removal to be played it has to be aggressively costed, powerful and at times flexible. Think Maelstrom Pulse and Vindicate(or Anguished Unmaking if you want a Modern legal card.)
>>
>>48548707
I feel declaration in stone is a viable option in mono white as additional removal. The only other options they have are sunlance and dismember.
>>
>>48510232
Been playing this since Twin got banned its been pretty strong so far
4x Cryptic Command
4x Delver of Secrets
4x Disrupting Shoal
2x Faerie Conclave
4x Gitaxian Probe
15x Island
2x Judge's Familiar
2x Mutavault
1x Psionic Blast
4x Remand
4x Serum Visions
4x Snapcaster Mage
4x Thing in the Ice
4x Vapor Snag
1x Vendilion Clique
1x Westvale Abbey

side
3x vedalken shackles
2x dispel
2x Imprisoned in the Moon
1x spreading sea
2x Hurkly's recall
1x Jace AOT
1x spell snare
1x spell pierce
2x relic of progentis
>>
>>48548757

Honestly the card isn't bad it's just when you make your deck and you're adding cards and you're looking at Declaration in Stone you have to ask yourself "When do I want this card?" "What does this hit that my previous removal spells do not?" "Does this solve my problems with dealing with X card(s) or deck?"

Like sure you can make an amusing synergy with Declaration in Stone with Stony Silence and it's not even that difficult for that to even form up since Stony Silence is a reasonable card to have in most W based decks.
>>
>>48548816
>"When do I want this card?"
I've been staring down three goyfs with a Path in hand thinking "Right now".
>>
>>48548958
That's a situation that you should never account for in deckbuilding purely because you clearly fucked up if your opponent resolved 3 Goyfs and all you have is a single Path. Why don't you have a Goyf down to block one? Why didn't you counter one? Don't run Declaration of Stone because of shit like that.
>>
>>48548983
>Why don't you have a Goyf down to block one?
Because I don't have a Goyf.
>Why didn't you counter one?
I did. They Kommanded it back and took out my Scooze.
>you clearly fucked up if your opponent resolved 3 Goyfs and all you have is a single Path
It's all that's relevant. Topdeck mode against Bob is a bitch. In the case of late game plays, Declaration can be much better than Path.

I'm not swapping it out for my Paths any time soon. Just saying that there are situations that you would prefer a Dec to a Path. Durdly control could definitely utilize it against decks that like to overextend.
>>
File: Pa ubij me odma.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Pa ubij me odma.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>tfw you wanna play grixis or jeskai but you are broke as fuck
>>
>>48549099
You only know about those situations in hindsight though. And while getting rid of 3 Goyfs seems great on paper, all you really did was cycle them. You bought time, but what are you doing with that time?
>>
>>48549134
>You bought time, but what are you doing with that time?
Revving for 15, obviously.
>>
>>48539889
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/
My turns list is about 400 $
>>
>>48548757

It seems to be a viable sideboard card against token based strategies.
>>
>>48549256
how competitive is it?
>>
>>48549256
also
turn 1 glistener elf
*scoop*
>>
>>48541384
>Isolation Twin gets countered
So what? You get the twin token anyway, unless Summary Dismissal. Also, why would you ever run Isolation Twin when Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger exists?
Playing big creatures without having a way to protect big creatures is asking to lose. You either need to kill control players quickly, or bring your own package of protection measures like Stubborn Denial. Mind posting your list?
>>
>>48541817
It restricts the opponent from playing counterspells.
>Combo player says go
>Esper says "on your endstep, flash in this dude"
>Assume it resolves (big _if_)
>Esper takes turn, passes
>Opponent can't fight Esper's counterspells anymore and is screwed
>>
File: keknuh.png (359KB, 688x800px) Image search: [Google]
keknuh.png
359KB, 688x800px
>>48549322
>turn 1 wild nacatl
>>
>>48546268
Scry the bones is a strictly better Succumb to Temptation.
>>48545295
Cute attempt at brewing, but the deck is simply a strictly worse deck compared to Grixis Delver, which is similar, just three times more efficient.
>>
>>48548958
>>48549099

Okay let me ask you this question.

If you're at the state that you're facing three Goyf's on the board you're also probably at the state where you are up to at least 4 mana to which I ask you why do you not have a White based wrath card to clear the board then if Goyf is a problem for you? Also there are far more stronger cards that can deal with Goyf and hit other strategies at the same time(Rest in Peace).

However if you find that in testing that Declaration in Stone will solve your problem or be an answer to a fairly common situation you are facing then by all means throw it in there. Hell I threw in Tajuru Preserver in the sideboard in my Elves deck during Eldrazi Winter just to blank an All is Dust since many people don't even know that card exists(and it's also an Elf).
>>
>>48549358
Kind of funny considering they came in the same set.
>>
>>48546835
>Blood Moon in sideboard
>All your lands are nonbasic
????
>>48548368
Sounds bad
>>48548770
Sounds all right
>>48549117
Play on Xmage for free m8
>>48549305
>>48549293
Infect is possibly the worst match up, since it can kill on turn two. Other aggro match ups are winnable by using Gigadrowse or Cryptic to tap their creatures and Exhaustion to keep them tapped while I draw cards like a madman.
>>
its not the same
i hate playing online, its too cluncky and can be buggy.
Yeah thats why you might play 1 spellskite mainboard
>>
>>48549407
but him having mountains doesnt hurt him
>>
RUG Infect?
>>
File: cykarussia.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
cykarussia.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
>>48549322

>turn 1 insolent neonate
>turn 1 slippery bogle

b...but it's a solid deck...
>>
>>48549493
More solid than modern Vampires, that's for sure.
>>
>>48549615
>More solid than modern Vampires
name me a couple decks that arent more solid from modern vampires
>>
>>48549660
GR forest Belcher?
>>
>>48549660
Mardu tokens
>>
>>48549810
rude
>>
>>48549660
>>48549810
>>48549836
>aren't more solid
I thought it said name decks that ARE more solid. That is what I meant to say; that Mardu Tokens is more solid than Vampires.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.