[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 40

File: Esper Charm.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Esper Charm.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Eldritch Moon card image gallery:
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon
>>
File: metagame_old.jpg (521KB, 1230x1561px) Image search: [Google]
metagame_old.jpg
521KB, 1230x1561px
The overall and paper Modern Metagame
(EXPECTED UPDATE ON WEDNESDAY)

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
>http://modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
>>
MARDU TOKENS IS T1

great, we've got that out of the way
>>
>>48474020
No it's not.
>>
http://mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=567&meta=51&f=MO

>Mardu
>>
File: image:109211.jpg (30KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image:109211.jpg
30KB, 312x445px
RUG Scapeshift has been the most fun and enjoyable modern deck ive played so far.
>>
>>48474200
What makes it better or more entertaining than any other Scapeshift variant?

Asking because Temur colours are my favorite.
>>
Ancient stirrings is a fucking broken card for tron. Allowing me to dig 5 cards is fucking insane considering preordain is banned. I keep expecting g it to get banned and I get surprised every time it's not
>>
Modern's problem is that it has no way of self-regulating its metagame. Force of Will does it for Legacy. Twin USED to do it for Modern until Wizards decided to make the format stagnate.
>>
>>48474508
>Twin shitters still crying about their deck being banned

Tell me what needs "regulating" in the current modern format. The format is far from stagnate. You would be able to tell if you ever did anything besides bitch about Twin being banned.
>>
>>48474732
Not that guy, but are you seriously ok with 2/3 of the meta being a form of aggro? Because I'm not.
>>
>>48474732
Most of the top decks in Modern are uninteractive. That's what needs regulating.
>>
>>48474799
>everyones complaining about uninteractive decks and I'm here forcing shitty T2-T3 solitaire decks every friday like KCI Eggs and Storm.
>>
File: image:109244.jpg (25KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image:109244.jpg
25KB, 312x445px
>>48474297
The BtL version is trash. Too many one ofs lead to the deck lacking consistency. Yeah you get more copies of Scapeshift technically but the extra color you have to add to do so makes color fixing absurdly difficult. The RUG prismatic version is the best. The color fixing is easy with all the ramp you run and i almost never struggle with Cryptic mana. Prismatic Omen helps as a secondwincon and prevents you from drawing out of the combo by drawing too many mountains. Ive had many games end where i have two valakuts out and an omen and every land drop and ramp spell hits for six damage. Its sweet.
>>
>>48474297
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-scapeshift-25560

Heres the list man. Its very fun and interactive.
>>48474799
RUG Scapeshift is pretty interactive and an enjoyable deck to play. Does work against Midrange and Control strategies. Worst matchups probably Infect but Sudden Shock and Anger of the Gods help.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-02-16-taking-turns/

Turnfags where ya at

Went to town and met up with the Spikes. Got my ass torn asunder by Affinity and Temur Delver. I'm really glad I'm running 4 spell snares main in favor of the Thassa list. Cranial Plating is otherwise unbeatable.
>>
>>48474926
>sudden shock
Most underrated card in modern. That thing does so much work and generally fucks with your opponents plan.
>tfw killing a Sakura tribe elder or a fulminator mage with it
>>
>>48474790
Lmao. Force is gonna fix this? A card that is meant to keep combo from being degenerate? You realize combo beats aggro right?
>>
>>48475063
>Heh, just gonna end step this Boulderhead so I can get a free block on this kid
>FUCK
>>
>>48475089
Cards worth hitting with Force in Modern:
>Slippery Bogle
>Goblin Guide
>Arcbound Ravager
>Sylvan Scrying/Expedition Map
>Glistener Elf

Force rapes linear game plans and loses to goodstuff. This has been true for a long time.
>>
>>48475128
That would lead to the same problem having Mental Misstep in the format causes. Every deck would run it for fear of losing to it.
>>
>>48475128
Disrupting shoal is the best you get. It's more build around but all those cards you named are low enough cmc
>>
>>48475170
The humongous problem with Force of Will is that you have to 2 for 1 yourself to counter the spell. This is why Force decks traditionally have a bad matchup against fairer decks like Jund. Force of Will is a shit card that nobody would run unless they had to. Honestly I believe Modern would be a better place with Force of Will and all degenerate combo decks unleashed off the ban list. Dread Return, Rite of Flame, Second Sunrise, Hypergenesis, bring it all the fuck on.
>>
>>48475227
I don't necessarily disagree with that at all. I think Modern would be a healthier and far more interesting format if the ban list was much, much smaller.
>>
>>48475186
This. Fixed force is actually good. Nobody uses it though
>>
>>48475269
Why fix a shit card?
>>
>>48475279
Because you have to build around it more. Instead of every deck with blue jamming it in you need the right curve and it doesn't just become another mental misstep
>>
>>48475227
>print a card making blue insane
>allow every degenerate card off so you need to either play degenerate or blue to counter degenerate
Sounds like a great fucking format you retard
>>
>>48475349
Force of Will isn't why people play blue in Legacy. That would be Brainstorm, Ponder, Delver, and Jace.
>>
>>48475370
Not referring to legacy. I'm referring to that anon saying to take all degenerate shit off modern ban list and put force in modern to police the format. That sounds fucking awful
>>
>>48475382
>I'm referring to that anon saying to take all degenerate shit off modern ban list and put force in modern to police the format.
Literally no one said that, read what was said next time maybe.
>>
>>48475500
>Honestly I believe Modern would be a better place with Force of Will and all degenerate combo decks unleashed off the ban list. Dread Return, Rite of Flame, Second Sunrise, Hypergenesis, bring it all the fuck on

?????
>>
>>48475500
are... are you retarded, anon?
>>
File: 130l38.jpg (46KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
130l38.jpg
46KB, 450x450px
>>48475500
>>
I don't understand that nobody came up with something with that stuff at competitive level.

The card seems to have so much potential.

How would you make it work ? I'm thinking about some kind of Valakut Dredge deck.
>>
>>48474862
I have to disagree with your color fixing sentiment regarding BtL Scapeshift
Running one Plains, one Temple Garden, one Prairie Stream, and 4 Mistys I can't recall having a game where I needed to BtL for 4 colors but didn't have them
With ramp spells considered, only running 3 white lands, I have 18 cards in my deck that can get white mana
As long as you're smart with your fetches, Search for Tomorrows, Farseeks, etc you won't have a problem reaching 4 colors, getting 3 blue for Cryptic, or any other requirements

The only one-ofs I run that RUG doesn't are Anger of the Gods and Hunting Wilds, the actual cards that lead you to comboing off don't lack consistency at all

I still think RUG is a totally viable and reasonable choice, but you're being a bit harsh of the BtL variant
>>
>>48475808
to make it better than scapeshift it'd have to be easier to get 7 lands into your graveyard than into play
the problem with that however is that with scapeshift you can put any 7 lands into play, as long as you have 2G or 4 colors depending on your variation
with splended rec you have to specifically put 6 mountains and a valakut into your graveyard to get an equal effect, which seems much more difficult

that's not to say someone might come up with a non-valakut related use for the card, but at least in that sense i don't think it'll ever replace scapeshift
>>
DESU cards should never exceed $10 in price. Ever.
>>
>>48475936
>I make poor life decisions and feel entitled to everything
>>
>>48475924
What about comboing it with cards like Smallpox and Ghost Quarter ?
>>
>>48475936
>this is a fishing rod. he just threw it into the water.
>>
>>48475936
>>
>>48475993
why not just run life from the loam?
i mean maybe it's got a place there, but if you want to get lands back/dredge loam is already the perfect card for that
>>
>>48475957
>implying cardboard should ever be worth more than 10 dollars

Alpha and beta cards are rare, yeah, but saying "P-POORFAG" doesn't detract from the reality that SINGLE cards can cost more than sixty dollars a pop. There is no need for cards to be that expensive. I shouldn't have to drop a thousand on a game to be competitive. Is it smart to have a barrier of entry? Sure. Is it smart to limit gameplay to the neckbeards with latent money and chinamen? No.
>>
File: image:109262.jpg (28KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image:109262.jpg
28KB, 312x445px
>>48475834
I suppose I was being a bit harsh on it. It just seems to be more inconsistent.
Im running one anger of the gods main in RUG to help against Burn , CoCo decks and Infect. I also really like the Prismatic Omens, hitting people with uncounterable bolts off your land drops is sweet. Oracle of Mul Daya is amazing with it too.
Heres a good tutor.
>>
>>48476385
See >>48476092 and >>48476009
>>
>friend wants to play modern
>recommend he play BG Elves because it cheep-ish and works as both aggro and combo
>he comes back with a deck list
>its BG
>but its not elves
>its fucking spiders
>buddy wants to run 3 Graf widows and 4 spider spawning
>his only 1 drop is thoughtsieze
How do I break it to him that his deck is hot fucking garbage?
>>
>>48476385
Eh. The way I look at it this is my hobby. Other people might ski or play golf or make things. No matter what a hobby will cost you. Every year people update their ski gear or buy new golf clubs. I do the same but with cardboard. The thing with magic though is these individual cardboards have value to them. Not just to me but to somebody else in the world too. I could collect them or play competative or simply sell them when I outgrow the game (I hope I never do). And I've already spent my money and now I have these cards that I can play and enjoy with either my friends or my local FNM. Just my viewpoint but yeah I can see how the prices might turn off newer players. What really made me realize I might as well dish out the extra cash was calculating how much money I lost buying shitty booster packs when I first started. Probably spent enough money on packs and boxes to make jund or another tier one by now, not to mention my 3 competative modern decks and two edh.
>>
>>48476454
>How do I break it to him that his deck is hot fucking garbage?
Proxy some tier decks and pwn his pile with them. He's got to learn the hard way.
>>
Any tips on playing control? I put the spirit meme together and I'm just trying to get a better handle on control in general since I normally play a linear deck. Do I basically just serum, and counter stuff early then slowly start bring in the creatures to start widdlin' away?
>>
>>48475808
The secret with this isn't to use it as a second scapeshift
You use it alongside fetches and Prismatic Omen to allow you to trigger Valakut a turn earlier.
>>
>>48476538
>I put the spirit meme together and I'm just trying to get a better handle on control in general since I normally play a linear deck. Do I basically just serum, and counter stuff early then slowly start bring in the creatures to start widdlin' away?
I'm pretty sure sperts is a tempo deck, so that means sometimes you will be control and sometimes you will be beatdown. Your role can change mid-match or even mid-game depending on how each player draws.

If you're the control, try to save your counter magic and removal only for the things that are really threatening to you. You should try to get as much mileage from each card as you can and avoid overextending.

If you're the beatdown you should be trying to keep your opponent off his answers as much as possible. This could involve hitting payoff spells or development spells like ramp and cantrips depending on what kind of answers and clock you're working with. You'll have to strike a balance between putting down a fast clock and overextending. Sometimes playing creatures without using their etbs will be the best play if you need a fast clock.
>>
>>48476681
Thanks. That's what I've been gathering by playing a few rounds. Usually works out best by drawing and countering early while accumulating enough mana to start casting creatures and having backup in my hand to protect what's on the field.
>>
>>48476838
Sounds like a delver strategy with shitty forced cards.
>>
>>48475808
My friends and I recently made a deck with this card and Valakut. I call it "Splendid Dredge." It's been doing alright actually, mostly because no one at our store expected it and had no grave hate other than Grafdiggers. I can post the list of you want. My buddy Top 8'd last Monday night Modern with it.
>>
>>48473972
So, Esper control splashing green for Tamiyo, or Bant control splashing black for esper charm
>>
>>48477211
neither
>>
>>48477211
So your plan is to just ignoe burn?
>>
>>48477299
Obviously cuz leyline of sanctity, feed the clan and timely reinforcements doesn't exist. nor does sphynx revelations
>>
>>48476892
The only card that I'm not really liking at all so far is Mausoleum Wanderer. Looks good when you read it but it has yet to really payoff for me
>>
>>48477642
It's better in a more aggro version of the deck with aether vial and lots of spirits with etb effects, leaving almost no room for non-creature counterspells.
>>
>>48477377
Smh desu senpai
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2432x2419px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2432x2419px
>>48477182
List my man! Splendid Rec is poised to be flavour-of-the-month once people figure out a list, I swear. Played against a guy running Rune Snags with it, was pretty gross.
Not sure if Dredge is the route to go since gravehate hurts, but it's still a wonderful brew and something awesome for Valakut players to tinker with. EMN has a lot of sweet toys for modern.

>>48475061
TIMEBROS WW@
Finally picked up the Gemstone. Next piece is a Grafdiggers for the sideboard.

Been thinking of cutting a mine and moving a Spell Snare to the mainboard, I bring it in often enough and it would open up a sb slot for sweet sweet jank.

In the meantime I found some spicy anti-Dredge tech while I wait for Grafdiggers. Startled Awake top secret tech do not steal
>>
>>48477822
I'm pretty sure you are joking but I'll bite. How often do you actually get to the point where milling the dredge player becomes a legitimate path to victory? Unless you completely mill them out in one turn doesn't it just speed them up to killing you?
>>
>>48477822
Lands:
4x Stomping Ground
4x Cinder Glade
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Valakut the Molten Pinacle
9x Mountains

Creatures:
4x Golgari grave Troll
4x Insolent Neonate
2x Stinkweed Imp

Sorceries:
4x Tormenting Voice
4x Faithless Looting
4x Slendid Reclamation
4x Life from the Loam
2x Edge of Autumn

Instants:
4x Noxious Revival
3x Reclaim

Still working on sideboard but will definetly include Boseiju and most likely Natural State
>>
>>48477967
Playing the matchup properly, you'll never mill them. And yeah it has to be a lethal milling or else it doesn't do anything.

...But playing the matchup improperly, and giving them a Howling Mine on turn two, these guys go dredgecrazy, man. The power of dredging twice an upkeep drives them power-mad, and before they know it, they've only got a dozen cards left and you're probably dead by then, but holy hell is it gonna be fun pulling it off at FNM
>>
>>48477377
>leyline
Lel nice try
>Shinx's Rev
Lel never gonna happen
>Timely and Feed clan
Actually, better hope I don't have 1 of the 8 anti-Lifegain burn spells in hand
>>
>>48478249
Sweet, thanks man!
Saw another guy run it in a Treasure Hunt deck with Moltex Vortex, pretty hilarious.

Ever try using Magmatic Insight with it? It seems like a piece of the reclaimation puzzle.
>>
>>48478271
Fair enough. I definitely agree that the best wins are the ones where if your opponent had played perfectly you had no chance but they decide to get greedy and blown out.

Semi-related: I have a UB mill deck that I sometimes bring to FNM if I'm feeling frisky. Last week I was in the mood and brought it only for my first 2 matches to be against dredge. Luckily I maindeck leyline of the void and I knew for a fact that those 2 players were on dredge from overhearing conversations before the event. Both game 1's I didn't get the leyline in my opening 7, 6, or 5 so I just conceded and went to sideboarding. I barely managed to win 1 of the matches but not the other. The look on my opponent's faces game 2 when I opened on leyline, turn 1 hedron crab followed by turn 2 another crab and fetchland was absolutely worth every loss that night.
>>
>>48477690
Makes sense. I was running 3 Spell Queller but I upped it to 4 now and I'm slowly ridding the deck of the Wanderer
>>
>>48478463
That matchup is next level, the pinnacle of mtg playz on par with zooicide vs burn.
Also, void leyline = best leyline, hands down.
punishment and singularity get honorable mentions.
>>
File: perfect_pilot.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
perfect_pilot.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>48478463
:^)
>>
roast my deck /tg/
Creatures:
4x Disowned Ansector
4x Qarsi Sadist
4x Kheru Bloodsucker
2x Wall of Essense
2x Siege Rhino
2x Athreos, God of Passage
1x Archfiend of Depravity

Enchantments:
2x Abzan Ascendancy
2x Palace Siege
2x Assault Formation
2x Brave the Sands
1x Hall of Triumph

Instants:
2x Abzan Charm
2x Dromokas Command
2x Shape the sands

Lands: A bunch of basics and multicolored tap lands because anon was too poor to get sets of fetches etc.

*Yes I know this deck is running 70 cards rather than 60
**Yes I know there's no Coco, I'm waiting until they cost less than 30 kangaroo dollars each
>>
>>48478740
Wait, there's 26 lands, so deck is 60 cards, I can't do maths today apparently
>>
>>48478740
>roast my deck /tg/
You're confident enough to call that a deck?
>>
>>48478736
I really hate playing cryptic command, it's always begging to get countered.
>>
>>48478740
>playing assault formation and not going full retard with it
Why?
>>
File: GDD.png (110KB, 200x279px) Image search: [Google]
GDD.png
110KB, 200x279px
I fucking love this card.

Flashing back Ancestral, Kommand, Dismember, Pulse...

Will it ever be more than a one of?
>>
>>48479051
It's a super fat pseudo-caster mage.

I love it personally.
>>
File: Image.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>48473972
Question

Is there a deck ever that uses pic?
>>
>>48479099
No. That's probably the least viable win condition ever printed.
>>
>>48473972
Are spirits going to be a thing? I noticed that Rattlechains spiked up to $5 now due to the hype
>>
>>48479099
No... but if you want to try it, Prismatic Omen, Nylea's Pressence, Transguild Courier and Bloom Tender are ways to do it.
>>
>>48476482
The difference here is that cardboard will always just be cardboard. You cannot possibly compare it to ski gear or golf clubs because those actually need to be designed well to function properly. It's impossible to play golf with a big stick or to ski on top of a couple 2x4s and expect to be able to compete at a professional level, but you can take a piece of paper and have it represent a piece of cardboard.
>>
Esper?! ESPER?!? Are you Roger from Shaun McLaren's Twitch stream?
>>
>>48479280
>Nylea's Pressence and Bloom Tender

How gross. Prismatic decks don't need that much mana fixing, just ways to get the enchantment out and land ramp as fast as possible. You couldn't even recommend Sylvan Caryatid with your dumb deck in mind? You just had to go for the overpriced elf?

What he should be using is Birds of Paradise, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Kodama's Reach, and Enlightened Tutor.
>>
>>48479691
You run prismatic and nyleas not for fixing but so you have all basic land types for Coalition. It would be more expensive to go for a colorful mana base instead of monogreen.
Transguild is there so you have a creature of each type. Bloom tender is there since you've already cast Transguild, you get 5 mana, which is needed to cast the 8 mana sorcery. Why bother with hexproof when they can kill the courier?
By the way Birds are expensive nowadays, so your shitpile of suggestions is not only infer-
>tutor
Ah it was a joke. My bad.
>>
>>48478444
Didn't work well, you need to discard the dredge cards. Also usually hands have 4 or less hands in it and then you never draw another card, just dredge.
>>
Mono black zombies, or mix some blue in?
>>
File: 1469404401548.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1469404401548.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Here's my great brew. It wins against other tier 1 solid decks like mardu or draw go with ease. All it needs is sphinx rev tho. Any idea what to replace to add sphinx rev?
>>
>>48480155
The ToPs feel really out of place and should be cut for Languish or Planar Out Burst.
>>
>>48473972

>modern thread
>modern non viable card

Maybe the next thread should start with sphinx rev.
>>
>>48476324
You two are close to describing my modern deck. Just add molten vortex, more disruption and removal, faithless looting, and various hate cards to deal with weak matchups.
>>
File: 1467951244123.png (250KB, 377x401px) Image search: [Google]
1467951244123.png
250KB, 377x401px
>>48479051
>tfw your dankdwellers hit a Boom/Bust
>>
>>48477182
Why not just play regular dredge?
>>48477211
Never
>>48477642
Wanderer is shit, don't play him at all
>>48477822
...Why are you running gemstone cavern if you're mono blue? Every land you play that doesn't tap for blue makes your Gigadrowse worse. And gigadrowse is kinda a time walk that fits anywhere on your mana curve.
>>
>>48479051
>Ancestral Visions on gatherer
>"This has no mana cost, which means it can’t be cast with the Replicate ability of Djinn Illuminatus or by somehow giving it Flashback."
Are you sure it works with goblin dark-dwellers?
>>
>>48480059
Blue, unless you're going black devotion, which is legit. Compelling Deterrence is good.
>>
>>48481390
Yeah goblin dark dwellers dont give a card flashback, it just functions like flashback. If goblins couldnt "flashback" visions suspend couldnt.
>>
>>48479217
Worse than Door to Nothingness?
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 400x800px
>>48481390
Yes it works, same way as cascade does. It doesn't have a mana cost at all, rather than having a mana cost of 0, so snapcaster can't give it flashback for 0; however, the converted mana cost is technically 0, and since GDD cares about converted mana cost 3 or less it can be recast by him.

>>48481329
>gemstone
There's only two gigas, and while yes there is merit to going only islands in order to min-max the gigadrowse, I've yet to have a problem casting it optimally and I must have played the deck a hundred times online. I personally think the upsides of the colorless lands outweigh the downsides, although you could argue that gemstone and calciform aren't very important to the gameplan and are moreso luxury lands. They do some crazy things though.

I'm sure I'll get pinched for it some day. As far as I'm concerned though, the odds of punting a gigadrowse are lower than the odds of starting with a chrome mox. It's a bit like scooze and goyf, where the nonbo exists but you don't give a hoot.
>>
>>48481585
YOU ARE MONO BLUE

Why would you EVER gimp gigadrowse by playing gemstone cavern if all you need is blue mana? I play 4 gigadrowse, so I feel it even harder.
Update: Temporal Mastery from 3 to 2. Howling Mine from 2 to 3.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 223x310px
>>48481611
Technically, it can tap for blue.

I didn't build it around Gigadrowse, hell last year I didn't even mainboard the Gigas, I had them in the sideboard for control matchups. Gigadrowse is a great card and if you think it's worth going only islands in order to min-max the number of things it taps, then you're absolutely entitled to that opinion. IMO, whilst running 2 of them, it doesn't hurt to have some colorless lands.

Again, I can totally see your argument. But can you see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Caverns?
>>
>>48481611
Also an extra mine is definitely the way to go, unless you fancy the ancestral vision route. They're cheap to cast mid-combo too to ensure you don't whiff.
>>
>>48481705
>But can you see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Caverns?
No. Why would you need colorless mana, or many of any other color than blue?
I do run Radiant fountain and Mikokoro as one-ofs, in addition to two charge lands, and every time I have them out, I feel like I'm missing out on blue mana.
>>
Man I'd love to make some kind of Twiddle based deck, but it'd have too many moving parts. And why do shit like that when I could just turn dudes sideways in the declare attackers step?
>>
>>48480155
All this shit talk about Mardu needs to stop. Now.
>>
File: ruh uh.png (222KB, 2075x1064px) Image search: [Google]
ruh uh.png
222KB, 2075x1064px
>Opponent is a newbie who borrowed a tier 1 from someone else
>I got spell snare in hand
>He taps three lands and casts a spell
>I look at my spell snare and think whelp, guess I can't counter that
>He resolves it
>He goes "Hey... this card actually cost two mana... but I tapped three lands... does this mean I still have a mana floating?"
>I inspect the card closer
>CMC 2
>mfw
That was some next level outplaying, right there.
>>
>>48481938
Mah bro, we run the same number of colorless lands (well I suppose the charge lands are technically colored but you know what I mean)

Cavern isn't for the 'mana of any color' part, I'd still like it even if the luck counter didn't produce colored mana. It's there because it can be a free land drop, basically an extra turn.
>>
>>48482060
>Call opponent a newbie
>Don't know the mana cost of frequently used spells in Modern by heart
No Anon, YOU are the newbie.
>>
>>48482073
Obviously, for me to be outplayed like that, yes.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 475x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 475x533px
>>48482073
>he doesn't know the oracle text of every card to ever exist in the modern format
>laughingjudges.dec
>>
>>48482092
This was the bro who had done the "outplaying"
He has come to chan to show off.
>>
>>48482121
I mean to be honest I know most cards with a semblance of playability.
>>
>>48482060
What was the card anon?
>>
>>48482563
some green monster... tramogoyf?
>>
File: 1469494590745.gif (1MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1469494590745.gif
1MB, 300x200px
>>48473972
I'm tired of losing to more expensive decks because I'm a poorfag.
Has anyone used fake cards?
I just want to win!!
REEEEE
>>
>>48479099
Prismatic Omen an Cromat. It used to be a deck a long long time ago, but now it's far too slow. Have fun though. Prismatic Omen isn't cheap anymore. Everything else is.
>>
>>48482640
If you can't spend 300 bucks on a deck you're too poor to play mtg and should find another hobby, it sucks but it's true.

If you can spend that much on a deck you can get into one of the cheaper tier 2 archetypes and "muh money" just becomes a petty excuse for being bad

If you want to get into fake cards play legacy instead, it's the best format by far
>>
>>48480155
Stop being a fucking faggot. The poster of this didn't say any of that or that it was supposed to be good at all and you're just being an asshat. Stop trying to make that a thing, sperglord.
>>
>>48482588
Well the newbie was definately you. Everyone knows what a goyf is and if you got rused by not reading the card you at least know not to now.
>>
>>48482744
Is it your deck my friend?
>>
>>48482121
you joke but people do tend to know several hundreds of commonly played cards by heart. To the point where "we've got a reader!" has become a common joke whenever someone plays some weirdass tech
>>
>>48482759
And what if it is?
>>
>>48482640

What do you play? If it's a shitbrew you brought it up yourself. Even mono green stompy occasionaly wins against T1 decks
>>
>>48482640
Take up the challenge of making a good deck from cheap cards.
>>
File: WhiteKnight.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
WhiteKnight.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>48482744

How's your knight tribal friendly anon?
>>
>>48482959
I don't have a knight tribal.
>>
>>48482640
- Burn
- Disciple of the Vault/Protein Hulk/Xcost artifact creatures
- W/G Humans
- Prodigal Sorcerer/Aphetto Alchemist/Illusionist's Bracers
- Thraben Doomsayer/Intruder Alarm

Build one of these. They are good and cheap.
>>
>>48480155
I dont see how this piece of shit can beat Tier 1 Mardu
>>
>>48482060
OUT SKILLED
>>
So how about that death & taxes
>>
>>48483033
He's being an asshat and those aren't his cards. Nor is that a deck. It's cards I was thinking about making a deck out of and wanted suggestions on what to cut and add. About a third of that ended up being cut.
>>
>>48483100
>About a third of that ended up being cut.
Now for the other two thirds.
>>
>>48483000

>- W/G Humans

If you want a meme then it's more efficient to go monowhite.
>>
>>48483148
I have a mono white human deck, and it's not exactly cheap. It's good. Just not cheap.
>>
>>48483153
how does adding another color make it less expensive?
>>
>>48483153

Keeping monocolored landbase is much cheaper than going GW (shocks, fetches, fastlands)

>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-mono-white-humans-modern

cut mutavaults/horizon canopies and auriok champions and the deck is like 100$.
>>
I'm pretty new to magic so I'm obvious pretty bad at it. My biggest issue is going up against counter/control players. What spicy tech or plays am I missing out on. I find I'm being countered every turn with no way of actually playing the game.
>>
>>48483472
play goblin guide
>>
>>48483472

> I'm being countered every turn with no way of actually playing the game.

Cavern of souls. Eventually play the aryan deck. It makes autists cry (chances are they don't have RIP in sideboards)
>>
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=105654

MARDU HATERS BTFO
>>
>>48482745
This poster:
>>48482588
is trolling; he didn't post the greentext. I did. The card was Steel Overseer.
>>
>>48483759

Even modernallies.dec gets more results.
>>
File: 1454923128681.png (11KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
1454923128681.png
11KB, 120x120px
>>48483759
We tier 1 now!
>>
>>48483472
Spells that kill all creatures on the battlefield typically cost 4 mana or above. Red is a bit faster. Anger of the Gods costs 3 and deals 3 to every creature. Pyroclasm costs 2 and deals 2.
What most aggro players will do is empty their hand and pray they win before turn 4. If I wipe your creatures with one spell, and your hand is empty, you flat out lose. So holding back a creature on your hand while applying enough pressure to warrant a board wipe, is a legit way to play around your opponent.
Rule of thumb: If your opponent passes his turn casting nothing, sitting with a lot of blue mana open during your turn, he's waiting to counter your next spell. Damned if you play, damned if you don't. So what do you do?
You have a few options. Green/white "hatebears" pack some creatures that makes life hard for control players. Vryn's Wingmare, Loxodon Smiter, Thalia to mention a few.
Alternatively, you could play a deck with black in it, forcing your opponent to discard his counterspells. Thoughtseize is king. Inquisition of Kozilek is good. Both of these work against creatures, too. Duress doesn't hit creatures, but hits everything else, including planeswalkers.
If you're running a creature deck based around a single creature type, Cavern of Souls will make your creatures uncounterable. Aether Vial lets you put creatures into play without casting them.
Some decks like to run creatures AND a counterspell suite, notably Delver variants named after Delver of Secrets. Deploying amazing threats for 1-2 mana while holding back mana for counterspells is legit.
You could also play Infect and try to kill your opponent before turn 4. High risk, high reward.
>>
>>48478321
Impliying burn players don't tap out on their turns
>>
Hey considering putting together sultai eldrazi, please r8 and h8?
Really liking the idea of one faerie trickery, exiles to power the processesors but also is a tribal for goyf
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-07-16-sultai-eldrazi/
>>
>>48483472
Control should not have enough answers to your threaths, unless you are playing vintage.
>>
>>48483472
When playing against a lot of countermagic, follow this rule of thumb:

-What's the card, that if it enters play your opponent can't afford to deal with it but you can afford to throw it away?

Basically, never cast your big stuff first. Cast stuff that's incidental and can start pressuring your opponent as bait so that they have to counter it. Then you can start hitting them with your more powerful spells.

If you're playing aggro, cheap creatures can enter play before countermagic gets used so you should be using more of that.

Also, anti-blue counters like Guttural Response and Pyroblast are sweet.
>>
>>48484040
I'm not going to say it looks like a strong deck but it definitely looks like it could be fun.
Getting to Delay + process a spell seems really satisfying.
>>
>>48484040
>I enjoy losing
>>
File: 52600689_p0.jpg (118KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
52600689_p0.jpg
118KB, 1024x1280px
How do I actually git gud?

I think I wanna start playing Jeskai Nahiri pretty seriously, but how do I get to the point where I just shit on locals and have a shot at bigger events?
>>
A long time ago a friend told me that if you keep booster pack wrappings, they could be exchanged for a free pack if you send them into wotc or something..

Is this true or just retarded stuff kids lie about?
>>
>>48484400
>open pack
>send in wrapping
>recieve new pack
This is literally what I do for infinite packs.
>>
>>48484421
no. The idea was more like send in 10 pack wrappers, get 1 back.

It's sort of similar to the Indian Shooting Star on an old tootsie roll wrapper myth.
>>
>>48484131
It seems fun. there's a ton of delver in my meta so processing a suspended ancestral visions is all that I live for. I like the subtle things happening and I just want to play around them, like scooze eating a creature so I can process it back for him to eat it once more
>>48484175
I don't mind. I play affinity so I want to change it up
>>
>>48484294
Read the primers type most decks, try other decks to see how they work, dedicate time into learning every good matchup and every bad matchup and all your good and bad cards
>>
>>48484400
Yeah, you need to take ten booster case boxes and mail them in
>>
>>48484294
1. Play the deck a lot
2. Play against tier decks, not janky homebrews
I realized the latter recently after having practiced Turns on Xmage for some days before meeting my city's biggest Spike, only to get destroyed by his Affinity and Temur Delver decks. When I mentioned I'd practiced the deck on Xmage, he looked me straight in the eyes and proclaimed:
>Listen. Playing against BAD decks or BAD players is a fucking waste of time if you want to get good!
Having let that sink in, it really is true. I have now realized that I've been tuning my sideboard for playing against janky homebrews instead of tuning for beating tier 1 decks.
>>
>>48484980
Delver doesn't want AV. You got some shitters
>>
File: Image.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
HINDERING LIGHT IS GREAT!
GREAT!!
>>
>>48485199
>that targets you or a permanent you control
>implying WU control plays permanents
Uh, I guess it could counter removal spent on Nahiri? Countering discard and burn is nice, of course.
>Counter target spell that targets you or a spell you control
Now THAT's podracing.
>>
>>48482640
dude go with the chinaman fakes

They're for all intents and purposes indistinguishable when sleeved, even more so double sleeved.
>>
>>48485276

>counter target spell that targets you or a spell you control

also doesn't exist

that's not a custom card, it's an actual printing at common that I've never seen used that is online vs most decks in sideboard as a cryptic for UW
>>
>>48483785
>steel overseer
You should still have known what it does.
>>
>>48485703
>as a cryptic for UW
I think you need to read cryptic command again
>>
>>48485816

in the right deck it's a hard counter and cantrip for UW, which is the standard use for cryptic at 1UUU
>>
>>48485860
>the standard use for cryptic at 1UUU
Have you never seen a cryptic player?
I almost never counter draw, I almost always tap//bounce or counter//tap
>>
reminder that if your opponent cannot directly interact with your cards on a regular basis, then you cannot call your deck "interactive"

interactive here reads as "your opponents' cards' effects can specifically affect and directly respond to/target the cards that your opponents play"

if you disagree, you're probably an uninteractive control player
>>
>>48486045
*that you play
>>
>>48486045
Holy fuck, it's a big one this time boys
>>
File: Cryptic Command_LRW.jpg (48KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Cryptic Command_LRW.jpg
48KB, 312x445px
>>48485860
I use cryptic for tap-draw and bounce-draw nearly as much as counter-draw. There's a reason it's called "the blue wrath of god" and not "dismiss with some extra words on it".
>>
Why do people play combo?
It's just LMAO i won by accident. It doesn't take any skill and their is nothing at all I can do except race them. How in the fuck are you supposed to race with grindy midrange?

Ban griselbrand and ad nauseum so modern can be great
>>
>>48486045

interactive decks are decks that have reactive answer cards as well as proactive threats to end games. control decks are interactive because they're interacting directly with your opponent's cards, jund is interactive because it plays AND removes threats. ad nauseam is not interactive, affinity is hardly interactive, the only interactivity infect has is Vines, etc etc

im being trolled
>>
>>48486178

fair enough, I've just traditionally seen counter draw be the standard use case which might just be a result of the types of decks I play.
>>
>>48486297
>He doesn't enjoy the dead look in you opponents eyes as you recur Pyrite Spelllbomb 10 times
>He doesn't enjoy jerking it on the board with a pile of jank and bulk while your opponent sits there with $300 of Goyfs and Lilis on the field
>>
>>48486312

Twin was the coolest interactive combo deck RIP
The combo was too simple but the rest of the shell is fun and seems like it basically got boiled down into jeskai harbinger once it got that wincon
>>
>>48486045

>This is how you style on draw-go shitters

Midrange is a truly interactive archetype.
>>
>>48486424

>this is how you style on draw-go shitters

i shit on draw-go shitters with Raven's Crime, I love when they're on one card in hand and discard a counterspell to it.
>>
>>48486297
>LMAO i won by accident. It doesn't take any skill
Just stop. It takes decision making. Often times can be a lot, depending on the combo. You're just a salty nu magic faggot. Muh creatures
>>
>>48486297
>Why do people play combo?
I'll play whatever wins. Sometimes combo wins.
>>
File: Snapcaster Mage.xlhq.jpg (763KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Snapcaster Mage.xlhq.jpg
763KB, 745x1040px
>>48480894

Guillaume Wafo-Tapa seems to be doing well with it.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-esper-control-27006#paper
>>
>>48486695
Please stop. You and the Mardu fags need to get over your decks being shit
>>
>>48486045
I interact with my opponent's life points. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as interactive.
>>
>>48486297
It's the struggle to find the combo and finding a way to push it through your opponent's protection which is what makes it great... in legacy. In Modern it's usually just a race.
>>
File: Ancestral Vision.xlhq.jpg (725KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Ancestral Vision.xlhq.jpg
725KB, 745x1040px
>>48486733
I'm providing proof that the deck isn't complete trash like you say it is. He's 5-0'd 7 times in less than a month due to the meta evolving.

I play Jeskai Harbinger, Grixis Control/Midrange/Delver, Abzan Company, and Kiki-Chord. Testing Bant Knightfall and Esper Control.
>>
>>48479510
Yes I can make the comparison. I can golf with a big stick or ski on 2x4s, Ill just suck and not be as good as people with good equipment. Same thing as magic. Sure you can play with cheap alternatives but you'll suck ass. My point is though, this is your hobby. If you aren't prepared to drop a couple hundred on said hobby then maybe it isn't for you.
>>
File: git gud.png (63KB, 220x200px) Image search: [Google]
git gud.png
63KB, 220x200px
>>48486297
>waaaah my deck has bad matchups
>>
>>48486733
Mardu is cute! CUTE!!
>>
File: 1329425523237.jpg (211KB, 900x525px) Image search: [Google]
1329425523237.jpg
211KB, 900x525px
>>48484040
>No Matter Reshaper to abuse with Deep Fried
>No sideboard
>>
>>48486297
>muh understanding of magic as tapping creatures sideways
Go play Standard.
>>
What happened to Kiki-Jiki decks?

>>48486792
t. burn
>>
>>48485146
Where's the best practice online? just MTGO?
>>
>>48487117
>MTGO
>Paying for digital cardboard
m8, you have better options for free.

Xmage has enforced rules system, which is needed for delicate interactions, such as flashing in a blocker before declare blockers step. There are a few bugs flying around, especially with new cards, but they're being fixed asap. Xmage also allows you to play tournaments, drafts, cube, commander etc.
There's cockatrice ("cuckatrice"). Some prefer it. I haven't tried it.
>>
>>48484294
Play against good people and ask for their feedback after every match. Playing a lot doesn't help if you don't know how to improve.

2. It helps to watch people who play the same deck as you. At the beginning of every turn or when the player is in a situation where he needs to make an important decision, ask yourself, what would you do in this particular situation and why. It's also good to ask the player why he made the choices that he made after the game. You can also watch videos of players of your archetype, and pause every once in a while and ask yourself what would you do there.
>>
>>48487222
I don't really care if the interface is a clunky piece of shit or not, it's more about the quality of players using it. What's the point of Xmage if it's just jank.dec.

>>48487270
>Play against good people
Yeah, kinda just need to figure out where these people are online.
>>
File: image:109217.jpg (29KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image:109217.jpg
29KB, 312x445px
>>48486297
Scapeshift is a very interactive combo. It can never come online in the standard RUG list before turn 5 so theres plenty of time for you to beat me. Its up to me to counter your spells and interact with you until i can find the Scapeshift and have enough lands on board. The deck is very enjoyable to play and doesnt feel like a repetitive race to a combo like Ad Nauseam.
>>
>>48487348

>Yeah, kinda just need to figure out where these people are online.
The vast majority of pros play on mtgo, and if you play in the modern competitive leagues, there's a good chance you'll be matched against one. Of course, there's the question of price.
>>
File: 253.jpg (52KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
253.jpg
52KB, 312x445px
Does anyone have any experience using Shadow of Doubt as a Sinkhole?
Some Japanese player got 5th place at an event with a BR control deck that ran 3
>>
Thinking of putting 1 phyrexian arena into my deck and 1 in the sideboard (BW tokens)

Good idea or no?
>>
>>48487531
Hilarious card. At its best, it wins games by effectively countering a chord, or stifling a fetch, or denying Nahiri's ult. At worst, it's 2 mana draw a card, which isn't even that bad.
>>
>>48487531
It's ok. Occasionally you will btfo people with it and Ghost Quarter but it doesn't show up in your opening hand as much as you'd think.
>>
>>48487631
Just run 4 of these and 4 spreading seas for keks in a fairy build
>>
>>48487614
Why not just run bob?
>>
>>48478740

>dromokas command
>siege rhino

alright, start with this and pitch literally everything else. i'll allow athreos cause he's kinda alright.
>>
>>48486297
>midrange player
>complaining about ad nauseam
Just use thoughtsieze or one of your many other discard spells. You are supposed to have a great matchup against combo unless you are playing a meme deck.
>>
>>48478740
Make it midrange, no need for coco

Shocklands are a must, fetch lands are a must

If it's too expensive then may I suggest mono green aggro
>>
>>48487727
Not him but Bob is a terminate/bolt magnet, arena would compliment token's plan of being resistant to spot removal.
>>
>>48487889
Most modern babies just give up when they see combo. They just want to go up against other goodstuff creature strats

They don't even bother to learn what's going on and just cry like a bitch
>>
>>48487622
Not to mention goobering up Tron and Scapeshift pretty well. Japan meta is always whacky and I'm fond of the next level shenanigans
>>
File: pic2762110.png (483KB, 1024x774px) Image search: [Google]
pic2762110.png
483KB, 1024x774px
Well, kill me but if this thread is only for competitive discussion, where can I ask about help with building budget/casual modern deck?
>>
>>48488654
Go to the casual thread. All the same, what do you need help with?
>>
>>48488019
2 mana spells are a LOT better than 3 mana spells. And Bob doesn't die to removal if you Thoughtseize it away turn 1 ;^)
>>
>>48487531
Honestly this card needs to see more play. It's fucking hilarious how powerful it is. Countering a fetch is one thing, but cycling on top of it is another thing altogether. T2 Shadow, T3 Lilly, T4 Snapcaster Shadow. Nigger you just LOST.
>>
>>48488710
>casual thread
I rarely see one this time to be honest.
I want to build UW spirits and UB zombies for me and my gf. We are playing mainly pauper but after I bought few JOU intro packs for boosters (70% discount) and beat the shit out of her with my minotaurs we both decided it's about time to brew something decent for "real" play.
I made something shitty but useful with spirit tokens and some buffs but have no idea how to run these damn zombies - we don't really know how to play with them, what are some essential cards for this tribe, what new cards are good pick for deck etc.
>>
>>48488855
Spell queller, topplegeist, geist pf st traft
Gravecrawler, relentless dead, diregraf colossus
>>
>>48488955
You don't play Geist because he's a spirit. You play Geist because he's a hexproof 6/6 for 3 mana.
>>
>>48488855
>have no idea how to run these damn zombies - we don't really know how to play with them
Players have been asking the same question for over two decades now and the answer still is you don't.

>>48488955
>Geist of Saint Traft
>not Drogskol Captain
>>
>>48479099
No because it's banned
>>
>>48488855
It's not strictly a zombie deck, but look up the standard mono blue prism deck and just play rise from the tides as the win con. not only is it likely different from the decks you're probably used to playing with, but it's dirt cheap as well.
>>
>>48489086
Except it isn't.
>>
>>48475061
>>48477822
Idk man I regularly 4-0 my fnms with turns but my list is a lot different than yours. I bust my Rock Horror nuts all over affinity and jund.
This is what I got
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/im-blue-dabadidabadie/
>>
>>48488955
So Diegraf Captains and Gravecrawler are only useful cards for zombies from blessed vs cursed?
>>
>>48488713
>has two removal spells in hand
>lol just thoughtsieze all his removal :^^^^^^)
>>
>>48490109
Anon, don't be fucking retarded. Nobody has that many noses.
>>
>>48486695
It's a solid and consistent deck that shits over a lot of T1/T2 decks. But playing against it is mind numbing and most people don't even enjoy playing it themselves.
>>
>>48488855
>we both decided it's about time to brew something decent for "real" play.
???
it's casual, you can play literally whatever you want with the cards you have
Or do you mean "casual" as in running 4 sol ring?
>>
>>48487727
>>48488713
don't be a retard, token's whole thing is not running any creatures. running bob would go against the deck's plan.
>>
>>48490339
Bring Bob in game 2 when they board out single target removal.
>>
>>48490304
By casual I mean something that is not just throwing cards on table but also is not a 500$ bucks deck. Just something that is decent but also budget without using 100 years old cards
>>
>>48489757
How's Minamo and Oboro doing? I can only imagine them doing work in odd corner cases.

Oh, how about Nyxtos, Shrine to Nyx?
>>
>>48490352
yeah, let's fill up the valuable SB slots of a BW deck that folds to combo with dark confidants just so we can flip spectral procession for 6. What's the next step of your infamous masterplan.
>>
File: sphinxs-revelation[1].png (315KB, 621x275px) Image search: [Google]
sphinxs-revelation[1].png
315KB, 621x275px
>>48490441
Crashing this thread. With no survivors.
>>
>>48490383
The oboro package is for protection against choke/boil and pretty much nothing else, although with mikokoro you can untap it I suppose, but really it's there for choke.

Nyx would only net you an extra mana if you have two dictates out, charge lands can net extra mana much more easily.

>>48489757
Ours are pretty much the same 75 (minus a few cryptics). I'm a huge fan of maindeck Exhaustions though, the Urza's Saga printing combined with the totally obscurity of the card surprises the heck outta people.

>no sideboard Commandeer
Pitching a Walk the Aeons and a Temporal Mastery to steal Karn is a great feeling. It's not half bad vs Burn either, you can 3for2 pitching dead cards.
>>
>>48490383
Usually Minamo and Oboro are just safe from boil/choke. The real allstar is Mikikoro, that card has drawn me out of so many holes and while in niche cases works well with Minamo, if usually find I am about to win if I can use that minicombo.
Nykthos is probably bad, I don't run Thassa so in order to new mana I need 2 Dictates in play at which point I'm probably winning or about to win.
>>
>>48490771
I was running Commandeer anf Bribery in the sideboard for awhile but my meta has shifted from Tron abd Nahiri decks to Death's Shadow, Jund, Affinity, Blue Moon and Kiki Chord value town.
Exhaustion can be a blow out sometimes, it's pretty much a 3 mana walk comboing with gigadrowse but sometimes it's just not worth it and I'd rather run it in the SB for aggro than in the main when I have a chance of hitting a control deck who hardly taps out.
>>
>>48490771
Also I love when I get inquisition'd and everything costs 4 or more
>>
Man I'd love to brew mono U control with shit like Commandeer, Redirect, and Shadow of Doubt. Cards that are powerful but see no love. Commandeering a Bolt to send it back at a Guide is still legit if you're doing it for free.
>>
>>48490956
Shadow of doubt is secret op tech against some match ups.
> nahiri ult
> chord for x
> fetch
> bring to light
> prime time
>>
>>48491154
It's irrelevant against Nahiri because they run a fuck ton of counterspell protection anyway. You'd have been better off hitting their T2 fetch or something.
>>
>>48490956
better in legacy where you get back to basics
>>
>token decks will never be good
why live
>>
>>48491174
If you're in UB you probably have your own countermagic to fight over it, though.

The real problem is that if they're expecting Shadow they'll just tick her up to 10 before using the ult.
>>
>>48492339
>just tick her up to 10
>just
That's a whole extra turn. I'll take it.
>>
>>48492339
Bounce her with boomerang.
Think you're smart? I'm smarter!
>>
>>48492464
Shadow of doubt becomes

[U/B][U/B]
Instant
Take an extra turn after this one.
>>
>>48473972
R8 my shitty fucking poor person modern land destroy deck that I made out of random bullshit I had in a box somewhere

4x Arbor Elf
2x Voyaging Satyr
4x Ember Swallowed
4x Acidic Slime
3x Savageborn Hydra
2x Skarrg Goliath
1x Tyrant of Discord

4x Verdant Haven
4x Stone Rain
1x Triumph of Ferocity
3x Beast Within
3x Market Festival
2x Bramble crush
1x Desecration Plague (I didn't have any more bramblecrush)

The land base (and the rest of the deck) is fucked right now because I've spent $0.00 on it, so it's mostly basics with maybe a gruel turf or some shit thrown in.
>>
>>48493210
Oh god. Go away.
Dark Dweller stone rain.
>>
>>48493282
OH FUCK I'M RETARDED. That's going to become a reality to troll my LCS.
>>
>>48493426
If you like that, play goblin dark dwellers with boom//bust; when you flash it back with the dwellers, you target the boom side but get to cast the bust side instead
>>
>>48493476
Hell yeah. I need to put some effort into my torment. I want to make players go home and contemplate quitting magic for good.
>>
>>48475808
4x Cinder Glade
4x Countryside Crusher
3x Edge of Autumn
1x Flame Jab
2x Forest
4x Life from the Loam
2x Lightning Axe
3x Lightning Bolt
4x Magmatic Insight
3x Molten Vortex
8x Mountain
4x Satyr Wayfinder
2x Seismic Assault
4x Splendid Reclamation
4x Stomping Ground
4x Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4x Wooded Foothills
>>
>>48493963
If you're running flame jab and life from the loam, just run jeskai ascendancy and go infinite with it
>>
>>48484294
Play -a lot- of modern against as many good players as you can find. Get familiar with playing and sideboarding against many different decks, especially T1 decks (affinity, infect, nahiri, jund, burn) and other staples (grixis, junk, through the breach, merfolk, etc). Familiarize yourself with what good versus average opening hands and draws look like. Learn to mulligan against each. Know their current decklists and common sideboard options. This is a good start!
>>
>>48493210
v. similar to efro's memedeck, I like it
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/modern-rg-land-destruction-deck-guide/
>>
File: Modern Metagame.jpg (242KB, 798x2018px) Image search: [Google]
Modern Metagame.jpg
242KB, 798x2018px
Here's June's modern metagame (next OP may use it).
>>
>>48495813
More like the Jund's modern metagame.
>>
>>48495813
>Zur
>>
>>48495813
Storm so bad its not even tier 3.
>>
File: 1466558930237.jpg (42KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1466558930237.jpg
42KB, 640x640px
>>48495813

>even allies I joked about earlier are better than "solid" draw go autists

Other than that, I'm happy to see goblins T3 again.
>>
>>48495813

The hour of dredge approaches. Consider yourselves warned.
>>
>>48496349
>implying
Esper is under UW Control, just like on MTGTop8
>>
>>48496420

I only need bloodghasts to finish my dredge list. And I think I might need them fast.
>>
>>48486864
>>48486695
Where the fuck do you find such high quality scans?
>>
>>48489086
In what, EDH? You might want to get to the right board.
>>
>>48496420
So I'll just run graveyard hate and everything will be fine, just like when Living End started to top too much.
>>
>>48496420
>everyone starts running Leylines in the side
>dredge bullied back to tier 2
>>
Hey, I'm playing magic "higher" casually with a few friends.

I really like the eldritch moon set with its Cthulhu-like setting and wozld like to buy a few cards from it, just to have it and maybe build a new deck from it.

Would it be advisable to buy a fat pack or one of the preconstructed decks?
Event decks don't exist anymore as far as I know.

Favorite colors are BUG if it matters
>>
>>48497806
If you're aiming to build a deck the best thing to do is always to buy singles
Less exciting than cracking open packs but gives you a much better kit to work with

Also in the future, ask questions like this in casual general
>>
>>48497806
Yeah, I would buy singles over packs if you are looking to build a deck.
>>
File: image.png (7MB, 1865x2632px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7MB, 1865x2632px
I need opinions on this (non-competitive) deck I'm building. Any idea on how to tweek it? What to add or what to cut?
>>
>>48497949
>what to cut?
Everything
>>
Hey, I've been playing Mono Green Stompy for a while now and I feel like upgrading. I enjoy the aggressive, creature based style of it but I'm looking for something that could more consistently win.

Any recommendations for either upgrades or a new deck that has a similar play style to it that won't be too expensive?
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 720x720px
>>48498057
>>
>>48498057
Sounds like your prerelease.
>>
>>48498086
The OP literally says "competitive discussion". Just make a casual thread instead of posting untopic stuff in here and then get upset when we point it out.

There are lots of casual players on /tg/ so a casual thread should do fine. If it's because you don't know how to make a thread just tell me and I will make it for you.
>>
>>48498074

Affinity sans inkmoth nexus.
>>
>>48498074

One drop zoo. No goyfs and the fetches/shocks are on the cheaper end of the spectrum for those cards. Look up the variant that runs the newer Reckless Bushwhacker.
>>
>>48498122
Would this be what you're refering to?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-zoo-26750#paper
>>
>>48498104
This is a shitstorm of implying, senpai. Alright, let me prepare my anus for this. Whew. Okay.

This is Modern General, correct? Is that not a modern deck? Then why the bitching?

Level of competitiveness is subjective, this is why you never get in the top eight yet you think your deck is good, right? Then why the bitching?

What makes you think I'm upset, senpai? Is it because you project your own shitty edgelord attitude on others? Then why the bitching?

You wasted time responding to my post with literally nothing productive coming from it, right? So, it shouldn't matter if I post a modern deck on a modern thread if it doesn't please your eyeballs since your life is wasted anyhow. Then why the bitching?
>>
>>48498163
Yep that's it. As you can see, a lot of the price is tied into the manabase, which is a good thing because fetches/shocks are good investments. You can buy the creature core outside of guides and build from there.
>>
>>48498194
Thanks for the advice. I was also looking into possibly picking up Soul Sisters as I've fucked around with it before and it seems fun, would that be more competitive than Stompy?
>>
>>48498175
Why the fuck when I post "senpai" my phone changes it to "senpai"? Shit.
>>
>>48498224
Shit. It's 4chan. "f-a-m" is changed to senpai.
>>
>>48498210
No problem, friend. Soul sisters would definitely be cheaper but from my experience I think it is less competitive then stompy. It is a lot slower and relies on inter-creature synergies more which is kind of a no-no in modern unless the power level is very strong.

One thing you can do if you want to increase competitiveness but not kill your wallet is try stuff like splashing red in stompy and having blood moons out of the board, or even in the main. Stuff like that can hose some of the decks you would otherwise lose to, and you would be buying modern staples like Stomping Ground/Blood Moon without buying an entire mana base at once.
>>
File: 1469201507153.png (309KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469201507153.png
309KB, 480x800px
>>48498175
>Level of competitiveness is subjective
>>
>>48498240
Oh I forgot to mention, splashing gore-clan rampager is also good tech in rg
>>
>>48498240
I have been really thinking about splashing red because I feel like it adds a lot of new opportunities to the deck as well as it would force me to start working on getting shocks and fetches.

My current deck is this:
4x Dryad Militant
4x Experiment One
4x Avatar of the Resolute
4x Kalonian Tusker
4x Strangleroot Geist
4x Leatherback Baloth
4x Aspect of Hydra
4x Rancor
4x Vines of Vastwood
4x Dismember
3x Treetop Village
17x Forest

What would be some good cards to throw in if I were to go R/G?
>>
>>48487889
To be fair in games 2&3 discard isn't a factor since you either keep leyline or resilient hands with multiple combo pieces.
>>
>>48498270

On the cheaper end in RG you have:
Ghor-Clan Rampager (sneaky and powerful)
Domri-Rade (maybe try a 1-of, would be interesting)
Guttural Response (spicy if you see blue in your meta)
Destructive Revelry (out of the board obv)

On the cheaper end in red you have:
Bolt
Grim Lavamancer

With a bit more cash you can start looking at some other cards like:
Atarka's Command
Blood Moon

You can then eventually put in Burning-Tree Emissary to make your draws more explosive, but only once you have a stronger and more even mix of red and green.
>>
>>48498336
Best thing about Ghor Clan is it's basically an uncounterable pump spell.
>>
>>48498336
What would be a good mana base for RG? I mean obviously it will have Stomping Ground and Wooded Foothills.

I'm looking at this currently:
5x Forest
5x Mountain
4x Stomping Ground
2x Cinder Glade
4x Wooded Foothills
>>
>>48497949
Honestly, ignore that first poster, this isn't a half-bad Superfriends list. It's actually pretty sweet.
I've seen a few MTGO players running Superfriends so it can definitely get there, I really don't know the first thing about the list though. The one's I have seen I believe run an arbor elf/utopia sprawl package although I'm not sure. Try and find a primer online for that type of deck, you'll probably find more useful info in a primer than on here.

The thrummingbird tech is next level and I really appreciate it, although they do activate your opponent's terminates/abrupt decays (though so do manadorks). I still really like the tech and thinks it's pretty creative.
Thalia seems a tad out of place, same as Harrow. Harrow is best for landfall interaction or graveyard interaction, but as a pure ramp spell there are lots of other options (search for tomorrow is good, arbor elf package is nice)
>>
>>48498270
Lightning Bolt, Uncaged Fury, Vexing Devil, Kird Ape, Markov Blademaster, Scourge Wolf, Mass Hysteria/Fervor, Artaka's Command, Reckless Bushwacker, Ghor-clan Rampager.
>>
>>48498418
Thank you. Kird Ape, Fervor, and Vexing Devil look great.
>>
>>48498383
2x Stomping Ground
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Bloodstained Mire
>>
>>48498336
>>48498418
Here is my updated list now:
4x Kird Ape
4x Vexing Devil
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Strangleroot Geist
2x Leatherback Baloth
2x Ghor-Clan Rampager
2x Rancor
4x Vines of Vastwood
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Blood Moon
4x Atarka's Command

5x Forest
5x Mountain
4x Stomping Ground
2x Cinder Glade
4x Wooded Foothills

Thoughts?
>>
>>48498411
Thanks for the info, I've been tweeting it while at work lately and just need fine tuning. The Oath of Nissa gets the mana fixing for the Planeswalkers. I think arbor/utopia might make it a little slower. And the point of Harrow is for deck thinning, that way I can make the most out of Deploy. Thalia is just there to stall a little and to have a body to attack/block if need be.
>>
>>48498383
I am actually not the best at constructing manabases, but it all depends on what you splash. Typical mono-green stompy (your list) runs a lot of GG and GGG cards which means you want a lot of green sources. If you continue running GGG and GG you want to minimize your mountains to maybe 1 or 2 and gave mostly lands that either produce just green or RG.

At the end of the day, playtesting is your friend when it comes to manabases.

Without drastically changing your list, you are going to want to do just a minor splash. Fire-Lit Thicket as well as Copperline Gorge are probably better for you then Cinder Glade here because they will almost never come into play tapped. Be aware that you only want one or two filter lands (the thicket) because you need another land for them to work properly.
>>48498443
>>
>>48498462
I like it. Though, I might make Vines of Vastwood x3 and Rancor x3. Rancor is just such a powerhouse.
>>
>>48498462
See my previous post, linked below. You might have trouble with GG costs, but check to make sure. Additionally, vexing devil tends to be underwhelming in testing, but it works pretty well with rancor and ghor-clan since if they let it land, it still retains value if they play something like goyf.

>>48498474
>>
>>48498484
>>48498490
I think for now I'm going to do this as an upgrade:
4x Kird Ape
4x Experiment One
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Strangleroot Geist
2x Leatherback Baloth
2x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4x Rancor
4x Vines of Vastwood
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Atarka's Command

7x Forest
5x Mountain
2x Coperline Gorge
2x Cinder Glade
4x Karplusan Forest

Then work towards this (buy it the next time I'm paid):
4x Kird Ape
4x Grim Lavamancer or Vexing Devil or Experiment One
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Strangleroot Geist
2x Leatherback Baloth
2x Ghor-Clan Rampager
3x Rancor
3x Vines of Vastwood
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Atarka's Command
2x Blood Moon

5x Forest
5x Mountain
2x Copperline Gorge
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Stomping Ground

I'm not sure what 1 drop to put in beside Kird Ape still though
>>
>>48498539
Also would more fetches be better/necessary?
>>
>>48498539
Really, Vexing Devil is the best option. 1 drop for 4/3 or 4 to the face. If you got two in your opening hand and another 1-3 drop critter in your hand, might as well consider the game won.

Unless counterspells of course.
>>
>>48498547
In an aggro shell, more fetches is preferred. Stronger mana base and minor deck-thinning benefits. Only hurts your burn matchup.

>>48498539
Looks good, don't be afraid to play around with it and remember stuff like Destructive Revelry is now available to you in the sideboard. Ancient grudge too, that is a HUGE card versus affinity, which is typically a very hard matchup for other fair aggro decks. Best of luck friend.
>>
>>48498539
Spark Elemental is great as well.
>>
>>48498547
Vexing devil is strong but only as long as you continue using rancor and ghor-clan. The vexing devil debate has been beaten to death and it very rarely ends up on competitive lists outside of ones that use rancor/ghor-clan.
>>
>>48498577
>>48498561
Alright I think I've got it solid:

4x Kird Ape
4x Grim Lavamancer or Vexing Devil or Experiment One
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Strangleroot Geist
2x Obstinate Baloth
2x Ghor-Clan Rampager
3x Rancor
3x Vines of Vastwood
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Atarka's Command
1x Blood Moon
1x Domri Rade

7x Forest
3x Mountain
2x Copperline Gorge
4x Wooded Foothills
2x Stomping Ground
4x Bloodstained Mire

Sideboard:
2x Guttural Response
2x Destructive Revelry
2x Feed the Clan
2x Dismember
2x Choke
1x Pithing Needle
2x Relic of Progenitus
2x Leyline of Punishment
>>
>>48498596
Shit didn't change it to just Vexing Devil, my mistake. Also somehow miscounted somewhere and have 62
>>
>>48498596
Is it just me or is that list 62 cards? FYI. Looks fun though, I wish I played beat-face sometimes.
>>
>>48498609
>>48498618
Disregard my above post then... You have extra lands.
>>
Thanks for all the help anons
>>
>>48498596
I would drop the Avatar of the Resolute and Strangleroot Geist to x3 of each.

Other than that it looks good.
>>
>>48498596
Xenagos the Reveler might be a good 1-2 of in that deck.
>>
>>48498596
I'm not a fan of leyline of punishment, the only matchup where it's good is soul sisters and I find that with 2 the chances of having it in your opening 7 or 6 are too low, plus it really sucks drawing it later when you are out of gas. Depending on how much you want to spend, extra blood moons might be the ticket instead, though it would require you to tweak your manabase a little more toward basic forest. Alternatively 2 ancient grudges would be a good choice, obviously it's meta-dependent but 2 artifact destruction cards feels very low since you don't want to have to mulligan too low to find them against affinity or lantern.
>>
>>48498692
Spawning 2/2 hasters for 0 is great.
>>
>>48498693
>>48498646

I agree with these two points. Cut some of the GG costs, add a few blood moons to the main maybe, and add ancient grudge to the board instead of leylines. Blood moon as a 1 of really isn't the ticket, you want to be able to draw it somewhat reliably against matchups you need it against.
>>
How's this Jeskai-black Gifts Reanimator
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Path to Exile
4x Lightning Helix
2x Spell Snare
3x Mana Leak
2x Remand
4x Snapcaster Mage
2x Cryptic Command
4x Gifts Ungiven
1x Timely Reinforcements
1x Jace, VP
1x Wrath of God
1x Supreme Verdict
1x Iona
1x Elesh Norn

24 Lands (incl. 2x Manlands)
>>
>>48498692
Too slow, too small. Just run 1-2 copies of Become Immense.
>>
>>48498718
No Griselbrand?
>>
>>48498719
I like Xenagos because he also give you mana.
>>
>>48498727
Not sure if he's as fab as the other two. The life gain is decent to stabilise I guess.
>>
>>48498732
The fuck do you need mana for? If you're reached 4 you can cast anything in your deck and your hand is probably almost empty at this point. If you want a dumb permanent to grind your opponent with use a Huntmaster or something. Maybe even Ulrich if you want to meme all over your opponent. Xenagos just doesn't do enough.
>>
>>48498744
Pffsh. Fuck the life gain. I want 7 extra cards and ditch my big creatures.
>>
>>48498752
Playing multiple things a turn is more of a bonus than you think, bro.
>>
>>48497949
I'm not a fan of venser in your deck, it feels like it doesn't really do anything to help out or delay your opponent; obviously price-dependent, but a karn or ugin would do more work especially if you don't draw oath of nissa and the wrong mana, or the new chandra to help clear the board though that's a bit slow. Otherwise, I feel you need more early interaction like mana leak instead of just relying on negate; it looks like your deck just doesn't do enough to slow down your opponents until you can cast your planeswalkers. Also, I think ghostly prison would work better than norn's annex, I feel you don't exert enough pressure to make the 2 life per attacker more costly than 2 mana; also, there tends to be more artifact destruction around than enchantment removal, though I'll concede not being hit by abrupt decay is a point in it's favor. Doubling season looks too much of a win-more card that could be cut for more removal/early interaction; it's sweet when it works, but if you spend a turn tapping out for it then next turn casting a planeswalker I think you are giving up too much tempo, maybe 3 mana nissa instead to clog up the ground and later refill your hand.
>>
>>48498790
You can bounce your own Planeswalkers to reset their loyalty. And if Doubling season is in play do their ultimate all over again.
>>
>>48498175

>an autist wants to force people to talk about his shitbrew
>>
>>48498813
Whatchu talkin' about? Peeps are giving their opinions and advice already. Quit your nonsensical bitchin'.
>>
>>48498805
That sounds good in theory but I feel you need to jump through too many hoops to make it work. Again, I really feel that doubling season is too win-more and should be replaced with early interaction to get to the late game where your planeswalkers take over and grind your opponent out. But hey, whatever floats your boat; I've never played with or against superfriends so none of this advice is from experience.
>>
>>48498779
Not when you have to spend a card from your hand to do it. Why not run mana rituals and Manamorphose to fix?
>>
New Thread

>>48498894
>>48498894
>>
>>48493210
Anon...
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-05-16-gruul-land-destruction/
>>
File: 3DPD.jpg (55KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
3DPD.jpg
55KB, 312x312px
>>48495813
>Month/Day/Year
Fucking americunts and their disgusting shit
>>
>>48497806
>magic "higher" casually
What is this format?????
Booster packs only exist for drafting; opening them is otherwise a waste of time and money
The preconstructed decks are great for casual games
If you're looking to build a specific deck, buying/trading for singles is the cheapest way to go, though I don't see why you would invest in a deck if it's going to be shit
>>
File: i have no words to describe this.gif (1002KB, 272x198px) Image search: [Google]
i have no words to describe this.gif
1002KB, 272x198px
>>48498718
>Reanimator
>No cards that resurrect dead creatures
>No black spells
Anon?
>>
>>48495813
>>48495813
No Mardu yet...soon lads
>>
>>48499286
pretty sure he forgot the unburial rites.
>>
>>48498296
Its still not a favorable matchup there. Your not guaranteed to get leyline even with multiple muligans.
>>
Rate my steaming hot shit brew
4 Lupine Prototype
4 Myr Superion
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Mass Hysteria
4 Faithless Looting
4 Fiery Temper
2 Bloodhall Priest
3 Asylum Visitor
3 Noose Constrictor
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lotleth Troll
2 Raging Ravine
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Verdant Catacombs
2 Blood Crypt
2 Stomping Ground
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Forest
2 Mountain
1 Swamp
SB: 3 Gnaw to the Bone
SB: 4 Ancient Grudge
SB: 2 Kolaghan's Command
SB: 3 Relic of Progenitus
SB: 3 Thoughtseize
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.