[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ 5e D&D General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 419
Thread images: 46

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>This month's UA
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>Old thread
>>48459206

What drugs and poisons have you made/found/used?
>>
File: tetanus.png (32KB, 535x476px) Image search: [Google]
tetanus.png
32KB, 535x476px
>>48468320
Do diseases count?
>>
Alright, so i listened to anon and scrapped the old shitty magic progression for a point buy progression instead. The spell costs follow an exponential curve so higher level spells are much more expensive. Furthermore all spells can be cast as subtle spells for double the spell point cost starting at 7th level, and cast as a bonus action for triple the cost starting at 13th.

Thoughts/feedback?
>>
I just checked and is the August UA seriously just some premade characters?
>>
>>48468406
Spell point* not point buy
>>
>>48468320
I got a drug called white lotus powder, which when inhaled will make you mindless and obey any order given to you. Once we start playing again I'll be using it to kill someone, but I'll have some time to experiment with the limits of the drug first after I command him to go outside town. What are some things I should test out? So far I have:

>"Tell me about [NPC]", to see if they will be able to share information and talk
>"Climb that tree", something outside his physical capabilities to check if anything changes there

It's quite OP and I have 7 doses so I wanna make sure to use it well.

>>48468409
Yep, except you still gotta work for it.
>>
>>48468409

They made a small UA before releasing a larger one next week (allegedly).
>>
>>48468409
Well, random character generation, but yeah, it's shit.
>>
>>48468320
In my game Ive just used poisons on the fly that induce conditions like blindness or paralysis after enough failed saves.

I've also had a bounty hunter that used an expanding foam / tar-like substance that he threw in small clay pots. Think that black stuff that takes down Mr. Incredible.
>>
>>48468063
>>48468121
I still find it interesting how he was a living example of the Stormwind Fallacy... and his PC name was Tiberius Stormwind. I wonder if that was the reason he choose that last name.

To be entirely honest I didn't minded Orion much, and was quite sad to see him go, but after going back and rewatching some of the stuff I realized I had just spaced out whenever he would start doing some of the useless stuff like trying to buy every mirror in the city to make god knows what. It was also pretty stupid of him to try and call a whole army from his kingdom to subvert an entire arc that wasn't even centered on himself. And metagaming lair actions and sitting out of an entire boss fight, all the while acting like a jerk.

Don't get me wrong, I wish they had found a way to work it out and I miss Tiberius, but he was not exactly being a decent player.
>>
What's the most complicated thing an Unseen Servant can do?
>>
>>48468504
Become seen
>>
>>48468504
Do they have anatomical features?
>>
>>48468532
It says formless I think, but it can serve drinks and stuff so it should have the capabilities of mage hand for example.
>>
>>48468557
But can they sex.
>>
>>48468504
It depends on the setting.
>>
>>48468409
Yes. Mearls thought that The first monday of the month being a Holiday meant he didn't need to make one for this month. Fans got pissed. He stayed lazy.

The good news is that he has spent the past two weeks working on August's UA more seriously.

Checking his twitter, it might have something to do with advanced traps?
>>
>>48468604
Probably a sub system variant rule for having traps not be so bad, something where the players are able to make meaningful decisions and have agency hopefully.
>>
>>48468604
>The good news is that he has spent the past two weeks working on August's UA more seriously.
That's impressive optimism, bro.
>>
>>48468644
It means we'll have a real UA. I never said I was expecting it to be good.
>>
Anyone have experience with 0-level PCs in 5e?
Thinking about running a 0-level meatgrinder scenario to introduce players to a campaign. They'd have 1-2 backup characters in the (very likely) event that their first character dies.
>>
>>48468663
Yeah, it just means that it'll actually be a .pdf this time :^)
>>
What's a cool but not crazy powerful magical longsword an elf Eldritch Knight would have?

My party should meet this villain elf 7th level Eldritch Knight soon, they're all level 5. I want something that is nice and useful and with a +1 bonus. If they defeat him, it'll most likely go to the paladin.
>>
>>48468677
Still better than "Oh, this month is just DM's Guild shillery" or a docx he literally slapped together yesterday.
>>
>>48468691
Sword of Vengeance.
>>
>>48468667
I actually ran two session of "Background Adventures" where the individual party members had to make key decisions in dramatic situations as children/young adults.

Third week was a scenario with very limited fighting that tied together elements of their backstories, reflected decisions they had made in them, and tied the party's story together. At the conclusion of that third session they were all level 2 (I use story progression based leveling).

Fighting vermin is overrated.
>>
>>48468604

> thinking that Kike Mearls will actually accomplish anything
>>
>have a huge boner for muddy and realistic Sword & Sorcery
>favorite setting is Forgotten Realms, despite this

Wat do.
>>
>>48468722
Depends, you just a player, or do you DM?
>>
>>48468722
Make up your damn mind.
>>
>>48468691
Have it give a +2 to the Save DC of whatever magic school that paladin uses most often.

My campaign's Arcane Trickster recently got a +1 Dagger that has a fragment of a relic-stone used by ancient Warlocks to mind-dominate a (now-fallen) empire. It adds +2 to the DC of all Enchantment spells. (It also merely has to be carried while attuned to it for this effect).

It's something he'll get great utility out of all the way to 20th level. (it's also a fairly rare-magic campaign).
>>
>>48468406
Use the spell point values in the DMG,

Arrow of Dusk is stupid.

I've given up trying to read this more.
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>48468722
>have a huge boner for muddy and realistic Sword & Sorcery
>my favorite setting is Lankhmar/Nehwon

This is how you do it right. On week 15 of my Nehwon campaign.
>>
I'm the oathofthedragonfag.jpg from yesterday's thread. Decided to scrap it and made a fighter archetype for it instead. I'm the DM and one of my players is really wanting to play a dragoon type character, so I'm just trying to work with him and appease him.

ANYWAYS, I've reworked some of the stuff for the rogue archetype "Revolutionary". Would love some feedback on that one.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD
>>
>>48467130
If he's wearing metal armour, he pretty much cannot attack you if he values his life because of how ridiculous heat metal is, at which point he'll be begging you to end the spell.
Of course, you have to directly attack them for that, but if they directly attack you...

You could just simply bring up how dangerous they are to the party constantly until everybody agrees and it gets to the point where not attacking him is like saying "Yeah, we have the villain next to us but we can't attack him because DM says so."

Put a magic mouth on the inside of his helmet if he has one that screams as loud as possible for ten minutes straight. Heck, put two magic mouths.
Make all the NPCs distrust and hate them. Though they probably do already.

Lock their door really tight in the morning.
They'll either sit there and weep any never go anywhere or rather than calling for the innkeeper they'd just break the door down and make the NPCs hate them even more.
>>
What options are there for a character to gain a decent AC without a high Str or Dex score?
>>
>>48468691
I like the Guardian property from the minor table. +2 to initiative is nice without being game-breaking.
>>
>>48468787
Read the post, he's playing a ranger you silly git.
No metal armor or helmet in all likelihood.
Besides, since he's playing a ranger, just wait until later levels for him to be depressingly useless all on his own.
>>
>>48468796
Magic. Wild Shape. Armor.
>>
>>48468796
Wear plate armor and just accept the speed penalty.

Dip Monk with a high Wisdom score.
>>
>>48468796
Half Plate and a shield. no strength requirement, AC 17 before dex mod.
>>
>>48468745
DM. And I have a small idea of what to do, as I've introduced grittier rules and toned down (in-setting) magic A LOT. Streets are trodden by mud-caked boots and the inns are hard-pressed to serve anything else than pan-fried salted fish. Physical hits that deal more than 1/4th of targets HP (or damage taken when target is under 2/3rds of total HP) result in a locational table roll and appropriate events; arteries being severed and covering the attacker in blood (which might make stone slippery), guts spilling out from a slash at someone's stomach, eyes poked out, thrachea punctured or crushed, etc.

I guess in a way I toned down magic to a 2/10 and turned the pulp dial to 11.

I was mostly looking for other DM's input on how they would deal with a similar situation, and if any players have experience with a more Sword & Sorcery -tuned FR.
>>
>>48468757
changed arrow of dusk to deal necrotic damage, figured thatd be a worthwhile nerf.
Changed the class from cha to int based casting to avoid sorc/lock multiclassing

also Im purposefully not using the spell point values from the DMG. casting higher level spells is particularly taxing on the class, so at most they can cast 5 5th level spells at max level.
>>
File: Octopus with swords.jpg (433KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Octopus with swords.jpg
433KB, 1383x1037px
>>48468771
Next Thursday's adventure has an encounter on a shipwreck, looking for treasure, with a Huge Octopus in the hold that attacks the middle deck through holes with swords. It has also set net-traps and anchor traps to kill the giant crabs on the top deck that it lures down with bits of dead sailor. It's a very crafty Nehwon Octopus (pic related).
>>
>>48468924
thats pretty damn neat. 10/10 anon, would play.
>>
>>48468924
>Octoboss
>Rocking 8 scimitars
Good taste.
>>
>>48468924
I immediately thought of Super Mario RPG. I think I'm going to steal the idea for some the lovecraftian horrors I like to make. Thanks anon.
>>
>>48468945
Thanks. The Octo has the ship's treasure in the back of the hold (with itself) and also a special shipment of healing potions. After the party has fought the crabs, (including a large Alpha), avoided/disarmed the traps mid-deck and fought the arms, they end up fighting the Octopus itself, which has been slugging potions from a special shipment to recover from having it's arms disabled in the previous battle. (the party has options to cut off the octopus from the chest at this point, saving potions for their treasure haul).
So
1. Getting onto the ship, which has run aground on rocks at the edge of a Whirlpool, below a high coastal cliff
2. Dealing with the Giant Crabs and Alpha Crab (s), a fairly easy encounter.
3. Traps and Sword-arms (moderately dangerous)
4. Traps, sailcloth screens and carefully placed cargo making a fight with the Huge Octo a pretty difficult close-range battle.
>>
>>48469043
That's a dope-ass encounter and I would enjoy having you as a DM. Keep on keepin' on.
>>
>>48468710
It's interesting, but I was looking for something more useful than that, especially since it'll be the first magical weapon they'll find in this campaign.

>>48468750
Thanks for the idea, but I'm not sure how it would work. EK only get Abjuration (which usually doesn't involve saves) and evocation, but with very few spells and spell slots. Wouldn't make much sense for the guy.

>>48468823
Yeah, I was considering something like that. You think perhaps gaining the ability to cast 1 or 2 wizard cantrips from it would be too much?

>>48468893
Why don't you use the variant rules from the DMG for Massive Damage and Lingering Injuries?
>>
>>48468829
I figured that after a re-read before, but it's quite possible they might wear medium armour for whatever reason. If they didn't train up their dexterity, if they're money to waste, if they found some sort of improved armour... If they have no idea what they're doing, even.
Honestly, you could technically even put a thin iron wire around their neck that's too tough to easily cut then heat that and still do full damage.

But that's a good point.

Bard - use magical secrets to steal all of the ranger's good spells before the ranger can even get them himself like quick quiver.
>>
>>48469114
Yeah, it works better for an Enchanter or for a creepy Necromancer staff than for an Abjurer, I'll admit.
>>
I'm struggling to find a higher DPR than Monk 2/Fighter 11//Mystic 7

Assuming my math is right, without any magical items that's 530 damage in a single round
>>
>>48468691

Like >>48468823 said, guardian is a great ability.
I might also suggest checking this site out:

http://lordbyng.net/inspiration/
>>
>>48468722
Go play Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity. ESPECIALLY Pillars of Eternity.
Both take place in fairly bog-standard fantasy world (okay, halflings are called "orlans" and half-orcs are called "aumaua" and there's some weird subcultures), but both use fairly realistic weapons and armor and shit.

More to the point, both have some fairly grim storylines, especially PoE with it's core themes being being the meaning and validity of faith as a motivator.
>>
>>48469177
>I'm struggling to find a higher DPR than Monk 2/Fighter 11//Mystic 7

Why?
>>
>>48469177
>I'm struggling to find a build stronger than one that can one-shot an ancient blue dragon
For what purpose.
>>
>>48469211
Not him, but I'd say "for shits and giggles"
>>
>>48469202
e-peen

I've never played to 20 myself, but even by 16 it's not even a slug fest when most problems can be solved in other manners. I never understood why people spend so much time looking at DPR when one of the main advantages of a TTRPG is your not restricted out DPSing mobs like it's an MMO.
>>
>>48469114
My suggestion to you:
>Magic Longsword +1
>(fancy description to read to players)
>Can be attuned to by a spellcaster, functions as a Stone of Good Luck while sheathed
>>
>>48468893
>I was mostly looking for other DM's input on how they would deal with a similar situation, and if any players have experience with a more Sword & Sorcery -tuned FR.

So you want grittier RULES then?
That's easy; do what you're doing.
If you want grittier themes, that's going to be something rules aren't going to help you with at all, that's a verbally descriptive storytelling thing.
It sounds cliched, but the Northern Kingdoms of the Witcher stories are an example of a fairly muddy and unpleasant place that is still pulpy as hell with all of it's warped fairytale stuff and it's dwarves and elves and mages and demons and golems and shit like that.

The difference is presentation and focus, that's all. Rules won't help you with that.
>>
>>48469177
Are there even official rules for multiclassing Mystic?
>>
>>48469273

You could just start mystic and multiclass out of it, class order doesn't actually matter

>>48469237

Pretty much
>>
What are some typical follies for homebrew campaigns? What do you guys think are some really bad things I should avoid? I want to make a campaign where constructs are the most typical type of enemies but I'm not sure how to go about it.
>>
>>48469114
I was planning on using the DMG variant rules you mention, but Massive Damage is clumsy and very non-specific, Lingering Injuries are much the same and the effects range from negligible to crippling (to the point where they may as well suicide their character).
Using a locational table (one for slashing/bludgeoning and one for piercing/ranged) allows me to narrate the target getting hit in the specific body part and to let it influence the game appropriately (usually avoiding intentionally crippling effects for an unlucky PC, but NPCs often find themselves clawing their throats for air while falling to their knees).
Some other rules I use is that they receive one level of Exhaustion when reaching 0 HP, and the need to be treated by a "medic" (healer's kit/herbalism kit proficiency) if any HP is going to be regained non-magically (this means no HD spending on short rests and no full-HP on a long rest).

>>48469196
I've played the BG games yearly since their release. Bought PoE but it didn't grip me, also not a fan of whatever spirit-mystic bullshit they had going in the story.

>>48469263
Rules help set the tone. A setting where heroes are healed to full every night is very different to one where they need to spend a couple of weeks getting treatment for their wounds.
>>
File: Pawns Bloodcloaks.png (3MB, 2204x2758px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Bloodcloaks.png
3MB, 2204x2758px
>>48469273
My unpopular opinion is that Multiclassing is the worst optional rule to implement in a system that already has Backgrounds, balanced Classes, and plenty of Archetypes.

The worst official rule is the Alignment system.
>>
>>48469300
>A setting where heroes are healed to full every night is very different to one
DMG has optional rules that slow that down, as well.
>>
>>48469273
Nope.
And not just because UA are not official. UA mystic v2 has no info on multiclassing as mystic.
>>
File: Pawns Jugumines 3.png (3MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Jugumines 3.png
3MB, 2204x2660px
>>48469314
I started playing D&D when becoming a Bard was a clusterfuck of mandatory multi-classing.

The Bard is now a class, and all the better for it. There's hardly any character concept that requires more than a good Background and an Archetype to pull off.

Optimizing in 5e is a silly, silly pursuit.
>>
>>48469381

Mystic Theurge
>>
>>48469330
I am aware of that, if you knew how the DMG rules work you would see that the rules quoted as being used are slight variations of them.

In the DMG variant, players still recover health despite having gaping wounds that are not bandaged, stitched and cleaned.
>>
>>48469381
>this furry cunt with his magical mouse realm bullshit again
>>
>>48469390
Play a Cleric with an Arcane archetype, or an Arcane caster with a homebrew religious archetype.

Added bonus: you actually get some strong high level abilities/spells to toss around.
>>
Quick question, I'm a long time 3.5 player and I have questions about how 5e compares to that edition. Would you all prefer them in here or a new thread. Don't want to shit up this one if you all would prefer to keep that out of here.
>>
>>48469241
That sounded nice, until I saw that Stone of Good Luck gives a +1 to saves. Next level that paladin will already have a huge bonus to saves, so I'd rather avoid stacking more on top of that.

>>48469300
>and the need to be treated by a "medic"
I assume this means they have to expend a healer's kit use for every short rest healing with Hit Dice? This is also a variant rule there, "Healer's Kit Dependency". I would suggest not needing a "medic" on long rests, but having to spend Hit Die as well. Considering characters only regain half of their total HD rounded down per long rest, that would make recuperating take appropriately longer.
>>
File: 1433250343796.jpg (26KB, 194x273px) Image search: [Google]
1433250343796.jpg
26KB, 194x273px
>>48469410
It's for a one off adventure to rescue one of the PC's little sister who's trapped in a pocket-realm from one of her books of fairy tales.
Stop being a no-fun piece of crap.
>>
Looking for advice here: Doing a campaign with some friends and I have one guy playing a rogue. It's his first time playing and we pretty much just threw him into a session so he really struggles on what he can and can't do in combat. We're having an off week this weekend so I was planning on meeting with just him and running him through mock battles so he can get used to combat. I can think of three ways to handle this and looking for feedback on which would be the best
>pit him against some creature and go 1v1 until he learns his shit
>I play a rogue partner with him and we team up so he can watch someone else play a rogue
>Have him fight himself in like a mirror match so he can see what his character can actually do
Thoughts?
>>
>>48469300
>Bought PoE but it didn't grip me, also not a fan of whatever spirit-mystic bullshit they had going in the story.
Alright, to each his own.
>Rules help set the tone.
They won't help you carry it though.
It's one of those things where over eighty percent of the workload is going to be on you, not the rules.
If you want grittier rules then go right ahead, but you're gonna have to make most of them yourself from scratch and even then it's only going to help so much and most of the rest is going to rely on your language and storytelling skills.

If you want a system better suited to gritty combat and storytelling, try Symbrorum, it's the kinda thing you're looking for I think.
>>
>>48469465
1. Use ranged weapons/cunning action to avoid being stuck in melee
2. attack someone engaged with the "tank" (Fighter) or where the spellcasters have given you advantage on an enemy, for Sneak Attack damage.
3. Rinse, repeat.
>>
File: 1461919115505.jpg (100KB, 736x1082px) Image search: [Google]
1461919115505.jpg
100KB, 736x1082px
Is there a good way to do a Draconic Bloodrager in 5e? Basically imagine a magical Berserker that gets a bunch of dragon stuff when they rage. I'm guessing there really isn't and my best bet would be to just go with a Dragonborn Berserker/Monk instead.
>>
>>48469512
1. Homebrew an Archetype for Barbarian
2. Try to control yourself so DMs don't roll their eyes at it/laugh in your face
3. Profit.
>>
>>48469465
Rogues are mostly useless in one-on-one battles. Play a Mastermind Rogue with him, that should be interesting. Or use any front liner that could tank while your friend sneak attacks and disengages. Make sure to turn the enemy attention to him if he doesn't disengage.
>>
>>48469530
Yeah, I get that it's kinda silly. Just thought it was a neat archetype from Pathfinder for some nutty dragon worshiper or something.
>>
>>48469530
Or optionally, make a Monk Archetype.
Which is really what I would suggest after thinking about it, as Monks have a crap-ton of "manuevers" powered by Ki, whereas Barbarians are pretty straight-forward.
>>
Encounter suggestions? My players are about to go into a mine that was run by dwarves, but taken over by militant religious group (basically cult of the dragon).

> Dwarf prisoners
> Boss lady
> I have no idea what's about to happen and were playing this week.
>>
>>48469512
Isn't the Pathfinder Bloodrager a hybrid of Barbarian and Sorcerer?
>>
>>48469588
Cult of the Dragon? Use ambush and guard drakes. Perhaps a Roper, depending on your party's level. Kobolds, obviously.
>>
>>48469453
>>48469397

Being treated is not part of a short rest (which is shorter than the regular rules, because much of what was previously included in it is now handled otherwise, this also amps up the classes who are more likely to depend on short rests (usually martials)) but takes an amount of time roughly equal to the amount of HP regained in minutes, multiplied by two. The character that has been treated needs a short rest before being treated again. Short rests are limited to 2/long rest.
If they wish to regain health during downtime (long rest), they still need to be treated. Their total HD and HD-recovery is ultimately what limits their HP recovery (and amount of healer's/herbalism kits).

Using these rules, the players themselves have fallen into a sort of doctor-patient routine, where they actually care about what and how they happen to regain those sweet sweet HPs.

>>48469492
Most of my previous DM-experience comes from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eon_(role-playing_game) which helps with the gritty part of storytelling (and neat locational tables). Though I might set my next 5e campaign in Mundana, it is very human-centric though.
There might be a disparity between the player's expectations of FR and the FR my campaign is set in, but they'll have to bear with it.
>>
>>48469588
Religious guys heard that the Dwarves had dug up some important Golem/Angel/Relic that was swallowed by the earth in ye olden age, forced the Dwarves to finish uncovering it or their families would suffer, now the party needs to stop them because the thing they are digging up will also free Some Evil Thing.

Now you have a mine with spooky environmental effects, maybe some creepy manifestations of Evil Thing haunting the place.

Maybe like the classic film The Keep, only in a Dwarven mine.
>>
>>48469695
Oh, Cult of the Dragon?
Then make it a relic to control/trap dragons or something (broken if you don't want the party to have it), and that it's keeping an awful Dracolich trapped or somesuch.
>>
>>48469609
Yeah, though I feel a Bloodrager has better martial prowess, which is more what I'm aiming for. Not to mention, if I recall correctly, your bloodline powers manifest when you rage.
>>
>>48469667
>There might be a disparity between the player's expectations of FR and the FR my campaign is set in, but they'll have to bear with it.

Good luck to ya then anon.
I certainly hope it works out for you, because it sounds like you've got all your angles covered and now it's just on the players.
>>
Martial Adept feat lets you be a bit of a Battlemaster, Magic Initiate lets you be a bit of a spellcaster. What other feats can you think of/homebrew to be like that?
>>
>>48469726
>and now it's just on the players.
And on him to let them know what they are getting into before they brew up ideas for a character and start creating them.

If you are going to limit the core rules/alter the rules/tropes in any significant way, you really ought to prepare the players for it in advance.
>>
>Player: I want to be a gish but the EK is too weak!
>Me: How about Paladin or Cleric?
>Player: Fuck no, I don't want to be a religious goody-goody

I hate that people still think like this.
>>
>>48469765
Expertise
You may add your proficiency bonus to a chosen skill you are proficient in twice. You gain +1 to the Attribute that skill is based on.

Allows you to be a bit of a Rogue.
>>
>>48469502
1. Cunning action is what he can't seem to figure out. He barely understands the attack action and is more likely to dodge than disengage
2. His other party members are a bard, sorcerer, and warlock. So none of them want to be engaged with an enemy
>>
>>48469771
>Fuck no, I don't want to be a religious goody-goody

Worship an evil god, shit ain't hard yo. Hell, I'm playing as a LE Tempest Cleric of Umberlee right now and having a blast. Though maybe that's because I somehow ended up playing the character like pic related, but uh...a pirate...
>>
>>48469810
In that sort of party makeup, you really want to be the Ranged Rogue, helping to shoot down enemies before they close.
You do NOT want to be the melee rogue who becomes the tank/target.
>>
File: 1463874109742.jpg (24KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1463874109742.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
>don't want to use the shitty-ass character backgrounds
>but they're directly tied into bonuses, proficiencies, and equipment
This is why I wanted to play 3.5
>>
>>48469771
It's like a checklist of stupid
>EK is weak
>Paladin is required to be religious
>Paladin is required to be goody-two-shoes
>Cleric is required to be good

What's worse is that half the time they try to homebrew some gishy bullshit base class instead of just multiclassing. Even if you're personally against multiclassing, it's part of the system and will 90% of the time make for a better gish than whatever homebrew crap you find on DMsG.
>>
>>48469720
>>48469695

The goal is to leave the mine intact and be able to be opened for business later.

The players recently found some land and want to build a castle. One of the players figured out that they might be able to help the dwarf miners / builders in return for getting them to build a castle or fort or something.
>>
>>48469850
Read the fucking book, it says explicitly that you can just change proficiencies.
>>
>>48469850
Just make up your own background. Stop being a stupid git.
>>
>>48469850
>Doesn't realize that Backgrounds are where you are ENCOURAGED to homebrew a Special Snowflake.
>Fuck Reasons, Rationale or Flavor I just want my Kill-Bot!

This is why you are unwelcome at my table.
>>
>>48469765
Single use of a metamagic every long rest. Lets you be a bit of a sorcerer.
>>
>>48469850
Then leave the group and play 3.5 with someone else you gigantic whiny pussy.
It's not a difficult problem you're talking about wanting solved here.
>>
>>48468703
is there a good way we can email his boss and tell him this stuff?
>>
>>48469904
Is there a way to make his boss give a shit about a free "article"?
No, there is not. Stop acting like he burned down your family farm when all he did was post some shitty scribbled "idea".
>>
>>48469855
MCing to create a gish is usually really bad, the ones that exist only work because they have features allowing them to use spells and weapon attacks in the same turn without just choosing between not as powerful as a full caster magic and not as powerful as a full fighter attacks.
>>
>>48469428
here you'll probably get better responses than making a new thread and it's related enough to 5e. go for it
>>
>>48469295
>You could just start mystic and multiclass out of it, class order doesn't actually matter
wrong
>>
>>48469381
>I'm afraid I might be challenged by players in an edition that heavily curtails player power compared to old editions, so I need to put more limits on rather than be a creative DM.
>>
>>48469904
Unfortunately, Mr. Cocks is not easily gotten ahold of. I'll try asking for his contact information from the M:TG side of things.

>>48469931
Not the anon you're replying to, but Mearls gets paid to write the UA articles. While they are available for free, they have a significant impact on brand trust among enfranchised players, because they are a direct representation of the game design sensibilities and just generally how much of a shit is given the Lead Designer of this edition.

Yes, it's stupid to think Cocks will give much of a shit, but it's still a valid complaint to make.
>>
>>48469297
Are you making a Mega Man campaign?
>>
Opinions on this?

>Afaèna
Weapon (scimitar), very rare (requires attunement)

"This scimitar has fire motifs along its silvery blade. It endlessly drips blood while out of its sheath. The name "Agnirak" is engraved at the base of the blade, always outlined by the blood running through it.

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon. In addition, you can make one attack with it as a bonus action on each of your turns. Alternatively, after hitting a creature with this scimitar, you can use your bonus action to cast Aganazzar's Scorcher in the direction of that creature, and it has disadvantage on the spell's saving throw. Once this property has been used, you can't cast the spell again until the next dawn."

Essentially Scimitar of Speed plus a Aganazzar's Schorcher. Intended for a valor bard. I'm considering making the bonus a +1 and the spell cast at a level equal to the wielder's proficiency bonus.
>>
File: 1379520578766.png (153KB, 405x405px) Image search: [Google]
1379520578766.png
153KB, 405x405px
>>48469990
>I'm afraid I might be challenged by players
As I'm the arbiter of what rules/optional rules/homebrew rules we'll be using, I am not.
>an edition that heavily curtails player power compared to old editions
In fact, the power of the characters in relation to the challenges/monsters they face is relatively unchanged. 5e is simply monster tankiness over "how does I hit monster".
>so I need to put more limits on rather than be a creative DM.
This is simply crybaby nonsense, given that you can make almost any "concept" within the core non-optional rules. And honestly, I don't feel in the context of say, an Arabian Nights campaign, that I have to come up with some "creative" way to integrate your Warforged Ninja.
>>
Please post more monster standees
>>
>>48470150
It's a Scimitar of Speed with BONUSES and Agan
's scorcher.
Its a fine magic item for a high level character. being that it's Legendary.
>>
>>48469833
That's what I'm tying to beat into his head before I end up killing his character
>>
File: Wormhole Pawns2.3.png (3MB, 2100x2661px) Image search: [Google]
Wormhole Pawns2.3.png
3MB, 2100x2661px
>>48470162
hmm? you talking about these?
I don't have a crapton of them, as I also have a full set of Pathfinder pawns.
>>
>>48470210
Yes, those.
I'd be grateful for as many as you can post.
Pathfinder pawns are good, too, I'll take them all, please.
>>
>>48469512
I have such a love hate relationship with blade and soul...
>>
File: Wormhole Pawns2.2.png (5MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Wormhole Pawns2.2.png
5MB, 2204x2660px
>>48470210
These were from a weird horror-esque adventure inside the devoured corpse/skeleton of a titanic Outer Void leviathan, complete with a swallowed "spacecraft" who's damaged engine was poisoning the countryside with weird radiation, and had mutated creatures from an underground sea. Sorta a Barrier Peaks weird adventure that they really enjoyed.

The amoeba like pawns in various sizes were for a re-purposed Black Pudding that split.
Lots of acid spitting, acidic beasties.
>>
>tfw episode 28 of critical role
>The game is finally free of That Guy

Its so great, its beautiful, everything is smooth and feels amazing, everyone is so happy.
>>
Would a Otyugh make a good boss for a party of five level 2 characters?
I need a boss for a sewer "dungeon" and i can't think about any monsters other than maybe a giant rat.
>>
>>48470185
Scimitar of Speed already has a +2 bonus, being a very rare item. I don't think just adding a spell makes it Legendary. But as I said, I'm considering lowering the bonus to a +1.
>>
File: Pawns Shipwreck.png (2MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Shipwreck.png
2MB, 2204x2660px
>>48470276
That huge guy was the endboss, a creature that had the combined traits of the transparent pack-crabs, the acid spitting lampreys, the acid bodied jellies, the psychic crushing Octopus...he was a good final battle.
>>
File: Pawns party2.png (3MB, 2204x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns party2.png
3MB, 2204x2500px
>>48470299
Ah correct, I was thinking of a Dancing Sword for some reason, my bad.

The octo-boss, and the party's pawns. The shadow is actually a magical effect created by the Arcane Trickster (from a curse) and not his actual pawn.
>>
>>48470279
The show seriously just gets better and better. There are so many amazing moments and great episodes and perfect RP interactions between then and now.

It's definitely more of an entertainment thing. I completely understand when autists on here get salty about them not optimizing, or making efficient combat choices, or even knowing the rules by now.
>>
File: Wormhole Pawns2.png (2MB, 2204x2660px)
Wormhole Pawns2.png
2MB, 2204x2660px
>>48470334
>>
File: Pawns-NPCS.png (2MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns-NPCS.png
2MB, 2204x2660px
>>48470348
NPCs and animated weapons (can't believe no pawns for those).
>>
>>48468924

what are those cut outs and stands from?
>>
File: Pawns Jugumines 5.png (2MB, 2204x2660px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Jugumines 5.png
2MB, 2204x2660px
>>48470372
the cut outs are from
>>48470310
>>48470334
the stands are Piazo Pathfinder pawn stands.
>>
>>48469850

DMG 285 Custom Backgrounds
>>
>>48468722
Play Swords & Wizardry by FGG in Forgotten Realms. Why worry?
>>
>>48470289
You will want to give the party some sort advantage (like guaranteed surprise) at the very least. CR in this edition is usually more like a "you must be this tall to ride" indicator in 5e. The otyugh will be KOing(or killing, with crits) 1-2 characters a round (assuming they are at full health, if this is at the end of a hard day... they aren't going to make it).

Its not really intended for character of a level that low. To top it all off it has a disease that will kill the characters if they manage to escape, (other than paladins LoH there is no way for saving these characters besides good dice rolls or DM fiat).

Prep for a TPK if you do this at level 2. They have much better odds at level 3 when it won't one shot the beefier characters.
>>
File: Oath of Honor.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Oath of Honor.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Alright I think I've fine-tuned my homebrew a bit better than yesterday. Open to criticism and suggestions.
>>
File: BehemothPawn.jpg (206KB, 794x612px) Image search: [Google]
BehemothPawn.jpg
206KB, 794x612px
>>48470372
I print them on luster photo paper, glue that to stock, (magazine backing board is cheap and the right thickness), then cut them out with a metal ruler and an Xacto and glue them back to back with spray adhesive.

I needed a pawn for a legendary "Behemoth" so I took old magic card art, and made a full 8x11 pawn that sits flat, with the red lines noting the actual space it takes up.
>>
How would you feel if, after over a year of playing the same campaign, you found out your DM did one or all of the following after seeing some of his notes:

>Didn't actually have solutions for certain puzzles ready; if the player's come up with something and are enthusiastic about it, and the dice agree, he let's it rock.

> Doesn't keep up with monster HP; if it gets hit an appropriate amount of times and keeps battles fluid.

> Doesn't plan anything more than a week ahead, but every part of the story you've completed so far makes sense and has helped build a cohesive world.

> Doesn't roll in the open.
>>
>>48470429

that's very ingenius. you a design or art major?
>>
>>48470429
The Stony Barrens are a semi-lifeless wet rocky desert region of my Lankhmar campaign, and Stheno is the top of the food chain, eating the Giant Quarry Toad (and whoever else is about), that eat the Giant Centipedes, that eat the Giant cat-sized Beetles, that eat the funky yellow lichen that grows in that blasted region.
She's a big 6x6 Gargantuan pawn and roughly challenge rating 15. (being just a really large beast with Legendary actions).
>>
>>48470402
Yeah i realised.
What I need basically is something that feeds on carcases/carrion or smells REALLY bad.
Said monster set up shop in the city sewers because REASONS and people/animals have been going missing, there's awful smell coming from the sewers, etc.
I had in mind that some smaller monsters in the sewers could be mad and/or very hungry due to the boss taking all the food
>>
What is the best way to deal with being in position for cure wounds?

I'm going to start playing a Life Domain Cleric and healing word seems like weak ass shit and as far as I can tell the only other ranged heal is mass cure wounds.
>>
Oath of Honor.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48470421
Shit, for some reason the PDF wasn't updating. That's outdated and not current. This is the one that's updated.
>>
>>48469891
To be fair, I've had new players shy away from customizing the suggested backgrounds because they're worried it'll look like minmaxing or special snowflaking.

Don't know if that's a failure of the PHB for not making it even clearer you're allowed to have fun with the backgrounds, of just a case of players not having enough confidence.
>>
>>48470462
Nah just crafty and semi-decent with basic photoshop.
>>
repostin because work is slow today:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyGRUsiD

Is essentially having CR 1/2 hirelings who don't ask questions broken?
>>
>>48470492
Little of column A, it's in a block that gets split with a splash page in the middle of the sentence, but mostly column B, especially with newer players.
>>
>>48470492
At the end of the day, it's a pair of skills, and a tool/vehicle proficiency or two.
The background special ability is the only place you can get obnoxious, and as long as you don't let people think it's a way to get a combat effect, it's generally ok.
>>
>>48470461
On one hand, playing would feel a little less satisfying. On the other I'd feel compelled to worry less and have more fun messing around.
>>
>>48470402
>>48470470
Another thing I had in mind was having some sort of balcony where they could snipe the monster from or have sections of the ceiling they could collapse, but guess I will throw a gibbering mouther or something
>>
>>48470461
I'd have to play and see if it feels the same afterwords. I'm a DM so I already know that everything is built in favor of the party except some stuff. Suspending disbelief is just a part of the fun.
>>
>>48470289
Use a Carrion Crawler.
In fact, make it a Big Albino Carrion Crawler with Maximum HP, supported by some of it's CR 1/8 grubby offspring.
>>
>>48470596
It's basically playing by rule of cool, with random chance only effecting the details of how things play out.
>>
>>48470487
Much better anon.
>>
File: 1462365176868.jpg (84KB, 564x817px)
1462365176868.jpg
84KB, 564x817px
>>48470655
Thanks, I tried buffing up the divinity channel abilities a bit and normalize the Aura so it was more in line with other archetypes. You Warlock Anon? You ever come up with a 1st level feature for your own archetype?
>>
I couldn't find a 3.X general and had a question, could someone here help me?

Do prestige classes that increase caster level count toward a dragon's natural spellcasting ability?
Like say I have a Dragon that can cast spells as a 7th level sorcerer and I take a prestige class that adds +1 caster level, can it now cast as an 8th level sorcerer?
>>
What's up /tg.
Im a bit new to dnd.

Let me pick your buffed int

Good old multi classing.
Sorcerer 6
Cleric 1

A player is saying they have access to their 4th level spell.

From what I can tell they get the slot but don't learn new spell as they are not lvl 7.

It's been kindly answered in the old one thread.

I belive the answer to have been correct.
But it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

Wish a natural 1 on my next roll if you want
>>
>>48470484
As a Life Cleric, it doesn't really matter all that much, because of the buff you have to healing. With 18 Wisdom, even the cheap Healing Word is giving people 8-11 HP, which is pretty good. Even more when you consider Healing Word is designed to get people back up.

>only other ranged heal is mass cure wounds
There's also Mass Healing Word, 3rd level. And Prayer of Healing, which is great out of combat. And if you can get Goodberry, due to a weird (but legal) interaction of the rules, you can heal 40 HP with a 1st level slot.
>>
>>48470487
You might want to add to that last part "when you're unconscious at zero hit points" Otherwise you could be taking a nap and then just go apeshit.
>>
File: 1468935673810.jpg (223KB, 1488x1762px)
1468935673810.jpg
223KB, 1488x1762px
>>48470771
True, that's one of the things I started noticing when creating this homebrew. I've got to be 100% exact with the wording or otherwise it could be misconstrued and used in different ways. Changed that, and also removed the bonus action disengage from the Aura since it isn't really honorable to run from a fight.
>>
>>48470715
Yes, that is correct. The player has spell slots as a 7th level spellcaster, but only knows spells as a 6th level sorcerer, and prepares spells as a 1st level cleric. Those two lists of spells are separate, but the slots are the same to be used however he wants to.
>>
>>48470715
You are correct. You must be level 7 in a specific class to get access to casting that spell.

A wizard cannot even write a spell of level 7 if they are not a WIZARD level 7.
A ritual warlock cannot even cast rituals that their warlock level could not support.

A bard cannot take magical secrets beyond their bard level.

Et cetera.

Otherwise, a cleric 19/wizard 1 could use wish, which would be ridiculous.
>>
>>48470756
but later on people are getting hit for like 60 damage when they get hit by enemy casters and shit. The only thing I can think of to deal with that incoming damage is cure wounds using a 6th-7th level slot.

Idk maybe I'm thinking about this too much. Mass cure wounds is available at that level and its some serious fucking healing cast at that slot. Life Domain probably has one of the best level 17 abilities in the entire game SOOOOOO, yeah that will be pretty boss.
>>
I want to play a Warboss; thinking of brewing up a barbarian path where they get Enlarge as part of their raging.

What other abilities would make sense for a Path of the Warboss (half-orc only)?
>>
>>48470893
Oh I forgot about channel divinity restore life.
>>
>>48470830
On the other hand doing it that way could be all kinds of hilarious if you play it as waking up cranky.
>>
>>48470875
Arcana Cleric can use Wish.
>>
>>48470956
Which is far less ridiculous
>>
>>48470830
Clarity isn't a virtue, but it should be.
>>
Oath of Honor.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48470928
>forced to wake up from sleeping
>going rule on Barbarian levels of berserk

Funny it may be, it technically doesn't work since the rest of the ability requires you to roll death saving throws. Updated and fixed wording issues.

>>48470988
True, sometimes RAI is just as fun if not more so than RAW.
>>
>>48470893
>>48470918
By the time people are being hit for 60 damage and surviving that well enough that the party doesn't want to run right away, you should have higher level spells like Mass Cure Wounds and later, Heal. And as always, healing is most effective when done to keep people up. Not when trying to offset damage, because you usually can't. Protect Life is greatly useful, too. Just don't forget it can only take people to half their HP.
>>
>>48468796
Either become a Barbarian with high Con, a Dragon Sorcerer (you get at least 14 AC out of it ) or Monk with high Wis.
>>
Oath of Honor.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48471022
The irony, change one minor thing and the whole page gets fucked. Fixed.
>>
>>48471039
>healing is most effective when done to keep people up. Not when trying to offset damage,

I get what you're saying, it definitely makes sense, but I can't play the game like that. I'd refuse to treat the world like I'm playing borderlands and I'm tanking by zerging stuff by picking people up constantly in second wind.
>>
>>48471106
You do you, but that's basically a waste of space character most of the time.
>>
>>48470693
No I haven't unfortunately.
Then comes the defensive feature, followed by the capstone.
>>
>>48471106
You're better off preventing damage from happening via Command, Blindness, Hold Person, Bestow Curse, Banishment, Hold Monster, etc. than trying to heal damage after the fact. Even Shield of Faith and Bless have potential to prevent more damage than healing spells.
>>
>>48471106
When you think about it, it makes a Cleric's job less about nullifying damage and more performing combat triage.
>>
>>48471233
The idea of a dedicated healer hasn't been relevant since 2e at least. Can't comment on 1e or basic. Stopping enemy attacks works better than trying to fix the damage afterward.
>>
>>48471195
Honestly I'd say move the level 6 feature you suggested before as your level 1 feature but remove the "adding to spell DC". Then buff the damage die to d10 and make it so that you can roll d10s as many times as your proficiency is.

I.E. level 1 per short rest you can ad a d10 for damage twice per short rest.
>>
>>48471257
This is correct.
>>
>>48471205
I leave that stuff for the bard, its something he wants to do and it fits with his inspiration too. Hes a much more useful character imo. I know I could be more useful but I want to keep my character strictly within the cleric archtype.

>I wear heavy armor and hit shit with a warhammer (I'm a hill dwarf)
>I'm super tough, I have 16 con at level 1 and I have the Hill Dwarf bonus HP with 18 AC
>I heal shit and stop people from dying
>I buff friends
>I fight evil and undead

I don't have good int, but I kept my skills to Knowledge Religion and Medicine because it just made sense.

>>48471282
Maybe I just shouldn't be a cleric then I guess. I don't want to play a cleric if the archtypical cleric is a waste of a slot in the party.
>>
>>48471359
>I stop people from dying.
You know all that stuff I outlined also stops people from dying, right?
>>
>>48471106
For the times when you don't want people to go down, that's when you use higher slots for healing. Healing Word is good because it's ranged and a bonus action so you can get someone back up and attack / cast Sacred Flame / dodge / whatever.

That's what my party's Life Cleric is usually doing now. He also tries to mitigate damage by healing word + sacred flame, but he usually begins combat with some buff/debuff like Bless, Bane, Blindness, etc. A while ago, thanks to Bane, he managed to keep Blindness up for a full minute, as the enemy (an Assassin NPC) struggled to escape through the sewers.
>>
>>48471359
Your idea of the "archetypical" cleric is shaped by video games rather than what people have actually been doing effectively for decades.
>>
>>48471359
>cleric archtype
Clerics were not originally the healing priest, they basically had paladin fluff before pallies existed, holy warriors.
>>
>>48471257
God, 2e was a bloody nightmare for guys who tried to do that.
Back in ye olden day where practically nobody hit anyone and HP was a bajillion points lower...except when they DID hit someone it tended to be a critical so they dropped from "okay" to "OH GOD I'M BLEEDING OUT" in one round's time.
>>
>>48470850
Thank you
>>
>>48471359
>I don't want to play a cleric if the archtypical cleric is a waste of a slot in the party.

That actually has more to do with videogames like Final Fantasy and WoW then it ever had with D&D.
Clerics are front-line fighters who can perform emergency medical and buff and debuff enemies, not back of the bus healbots who keep the others from falling down.

That's actually WHY they have heavy armor and can use decent weapons, so they can take their place right up front with the rest of the party.
>>
>>48471379
Its not a matter of the result, its the process. When I think of a cleric I think of a guy healing his allies during combat.

>>48471394
Yeah I guess thats true. If someone wrote a book and put a "life" cleric character into the book I wouldn't imagine the cleric cursing enemies, or waiting when people get hurt and bringing them up only when they pass out etc. I'd imagine them healing stuff immediatly when someone gets damaged.

>>48471416
Yeah I know, Clerics are vast, and like I said I definitely have a warhammer and heavy armor, if anything I plan on getting hit since I can heal myself while healing other people with the level 6 ability.

I read all the spells and the heals seemed to do less healing than any damage. The bane/buff spells seemed by far the most exceptional abilities. Removing 1d4 off of checks/attacks is fucking amazing. It just seems like I'd rather play a bard to do that.

Its not a big deal I'll just play a different class.
>>
>>48471558
Yeah I specifically mentioned heavy armor. If we're talking about WoW clerics would be like, holy spec paladins and thats it. I don't see holy clerics debuffing though, maybe thats just my bias, but to me

Evil clerics
>Inflict Wounds
>Bane/Curse
>Protection From Good
>Detect Good
>Reanimate Dead

Good Clerics
>Cure Wounds
>Bless/Restoration
>Protection From Evil
>Detect Evil
>Turn Undead

Like they are both definitely clerics in my eyes, and to me like all clerics use heavy armor, blunt weapons, and shields. But I keep them thematically alligned one way or the other.

Or if its like a knowledge domain cleric, I'd have spells that made sense for that. Theres never a scenario I'd have a wide variety of spells that are just the most useful.
>>
>>48471561

light clerics get fireball. spirit guardian and spiritual weapon aren't low damage either.

cleric healing comes from life domains channel divinity, which is just a huge amount of guaranteed healing, prayer of healing and mass healing word. cure wounds isn't meant to last, but some do heal more than a single cast of another spell or use of ability would deal.
>>
>>48471561
Life clerics don't exist to be healbots though. They exist to give people a better shot at surviving a round after being brought back up. They also have more resources for that triage job.

Like I said, you do you, but your expectations are not what the D&D cleric is about. It's closer to the WoW Holy Paladin, but the WoW Holy Paladin uses (or did, haven't played since Wrath) a bunch of abilities to prevent damage (Hammer of Justice and judgements are debuffs) as well as casting healing spells. You're overly focused on one aspect.
>>
>>48471561
>Removing 1d4 off of checks/attacks is fucking amazing. It just seems like I'd rather play a bard to do that.
Not necessarily, because Bards have lots of other great debuff spells that also require concentration. Now, having a bard AND a cleric... That can be nasty. Bane then Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hold Person, Bestow Curse, etc. You can seriously shut down people like that. All the while the Cleric can be healing injures allies and throwing sacred flames on those damned fools.
>>
>>48469397
hp do not equal wounds in 5e. which is good, since it explains how a warrior can be brought down to 5 hp every adventure and still manage to live more than 5 years.
>>
>>48469177

Amendment: It's 580, I forgot to include damage from maneuvers
>>
>>48471752
>Now, having a bard AND a cleric... That can be nasty. Bane then Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hold Person, Bestow Curse, etc.

Fucking THIS.
In the last party I GMed I had to be cagey as fuck with the types of encounters I threw at my party because they'd just totally lock down everyone while the Barb and Ranger waded in and chopped the hobbled opposition to pieces, it was fucking ridiculous.
>>48471779
I keep getting confused how people still get confused about that.
I mean, it's RIGHT THERE in the rulebook in the combat section.
>>
>>48471561
in 5e, healing is more "correctly" done between fights with the current heal/damage spell ratio

so clerics basically, bless as their concentration, and spiritual weapon is their "extra attack" replacement. there are obviously more damage oriented options (light is very blasty, war is very martial) but bless and SW is on every clerics list, and its their mainstay. if a cleric is healing in combat, its generally better to use healing word, and a bonus action, to get a person back on their feet, and if you really need to at that point, think about healing them more (or just sanctuary)

thats the reason goodberry is one of the "best" heals in the game. if you're a cleric in a combat, its better to beat the enemy to death, and worry about the wounded when you get a breather

that being said, thats obviously not how it always goes, and thats not how everyone plays. most combats basically work out to "enemy does 2d6 damage, cleric heals 1d6" so a clerics job is to keep damage and buffs up, and get those extra spell attacks/use a bursty spell
>>
>>48471901
Also maybe I'm being retarded here but the math for damage taken by players isn't equal to damage done to enemies.

Like, 10 damage done to a player at level one is serious business. A level 1 player dealing 10 damage is pretty normal even with an average attack.

I don't think its exactly fair to just look at "well the clerics heals don't heal very much therefore everything else is better" A well used mass cure wounds can massively lengthen a parties staying power in a fight. If you combine that with a bard or another class debuffing that just makes it more cost efficient.
>>
>>48472022
>A well used mass cure wounds can massively length a parties staying power in a fight.
The only time this makes any difference is if multiple party members are down. Party members fight just as effectively at 1 HP as they do at 100. Also, you could be using the superior Mass Healing Word and still keep your action for something useful.
>>
>>48469931
its really ironic you act like i'm the buttblasted one but here you come at me with this stupid story like i'm in rage about mearls.
i just was wondering if we can give some kind of response to mearls to his higher ups, because its stupid that the head of the largest rpg of all time barely even does his job. not because i'm crying about it in my room. i just want to complain to his manager a bit.
>>
>>48472022
the real problem is level one is the "sword of damocles" level. nearly every class/race option (except a few) can be instantly killed with no saves, if they have bad enough luck.
real healing doesnt start till around... spell level 5 i think?

but yeah, the logic is, that unless a person is in the danger zone (which is practically always at level 1) damaging is better. once you get those better heals though, healing in combat is far more viable. the problem is, if you can theoretically end a combat one round earlier by attacking and not healing (which you can never really know) damaging is just going to blatantly be better than healing, UNLESS you have downed people
>>
>>48470029
>Yes, it's stupid to think Cocks will give much of a shit, but it's still a valid complaint to make.
this. i doubt it will go anywhere, but might as well start complaining now. its definitely going to go nowhere if we just sit here and do nothing, may as well give it a shot.
>>
>>48472101
We're better off with less solo input from Mike Mearls though. He's an ideas guy who needs the filter of someone who actually understands how to write rules.
>>
>First session of campaign, party meets a guy that's meant to offer some exposition. Just a mystery contact in a tavern.
>They don't trust him and take him with them, making what I thought was going to be a one-time NPC a follower and sort of a guide.
>Fast forward to now, the party is almost level 5
>They've taken a liking to the NPC and wanted to show it
>They get him a lute and ask me if he can train to be a bard (my favorite class)

They then asked me if I could play him as a bard for them. I'm a Forever-DM so the fact that they pretty much made a DMPC for me is really cool. Of course I'm gonna let him stay a few levels behind and he isn't really ever likely to have the spotlight, but the fact that my players did this just so I could have my own player for once was really touching.
>>
Thoughts on my attempt at playing a Greenskin in Forgotten Realms?

Path of the Warboss
The half-orc that chooses the Path of the Warboss is the strongest, and the meanest of his tribe. More than just an exceedingly powerful warrior fueled by a thirst for battle, the Warboss exudes control over the battlefield through sheer might. A Warboss will usually rise to power in his tribe through sheer brute force. Once in position as the leader of a tribe, he holds dominion over all he surveys, and will use a heavy hand against anyone who says or thinks different.

Restriction: Half-Orcs Only
Only half-orcs can follow the Path of the Warboss. The warboss is a rare title among a unique few orc clans.
Your DM can lift this restriction to better suit the campaign.

Biggest and the Baddest
Staring when you choose this path at 3rd level, your rage surges through your muscles causing you to grow to an immensely terrifying sight. While you are raging, you are under the effects of the enlarge aspect of an enlarge/reduce spell.

Warlord's Favor
At 6th level, your allies are bolstered by your strength. Whenever an ally you can see within 30 feet makes a Strength saving throw or Strength (Athletics) check, you can use your reaction to give them advantage on the roll.

Part 1/2
>>
>>48472195

Open Challenge
When you reach 10th level, you can use your action to take on all challengers. When you do so, each creature you can see within 30 feet must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier). On a failed save, the creature is drawn to you, compelled by your invitation. For the duration, each creature has disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you, and must make a Wisdom saving throw each time it attempts to move to a space that is more than 30 feet away from you; if it succeeds on this saving throw, this spell doesn't restrict the target's movement for that turn.
This effect ends if a creature friendly to you damages any of the effected targets, or casts a harmful spell on it, or if you end your turn more than 30 feet away from those targets.

>Compelled Duel with multiple targets

Savage Bloodlust
Starting at 14th level, The sight of turmoil and destruction on the battlefield fills you with glee. Whenever you or an ally you can see within 30 feet reduces a creature to 0 hit points, or scores a critical hit, you gain advantage on your next attack.

>I feel like this could be a lot better.

Part 2/2
>>
>>48468796
shield, mariner fighting style
>>
So I have a question about 5e. I've been playing 3.5 for years and like that system. In particular I like how the numbers rise and there's a strong sense of how things escalate, expressed mathematically as you gain levels. I also like the elements of system mastery and learning how to optimize to turn my character into something interesting.

5e looks okay, but I get the impression that what it does doesn't mesh with what I like about 3.5. Is that true? I've heard optimizing isn't as big a deal in 5e and that the numbers tend to stay small. Do you all think my 3.5 mindset would do well with 5e, or should I stick to 3.5?

Thanks.
>>
>>48472353
This is true; these things you like about 3x and it's derivatives not only are not as expressed as strongly in 5e, in some ways they are actually avoided. You might not enjoy it for those particular reasons.

It's good to ask though, and shows you have forethought a lot of gamers seem to lack when it comes to stuff like this.
>>
>>48472195
>>48472205
change "each creature" in open challenge to "each enemy" for obvious reasons

maybe let savage bloodlust let you get another attack, rather than advantage? it would still be relatively rare, and depending on if its a bonus/reaction it could purposely be a choice that isn't just blatantly amazing

it seems alright though, i dont know much about orcs in forgotten realms, so i dont know if it fits. but it doesn't seem op or retarded.
either way, savage bloodlust does need changed to something, most likely not advantage, because of reckless attacks free advantage
>>
>>48471779
Narrating combat is boring as fuck when it's all "barely misses" until a solid blow knocks them unconscious.
>>
>>48472453
That's a personal opinion and not a subjective fact, and you are both old enough and intelligent enough to know that.
>>
>>48472438

Yeah, I'd rather ask and avoid a bad experience, or worse yet provoke edition war types.

I want to like 5e when I casually hear about it, but when I examine it, I find it's usually not to my taste. Guess that's why, I wasn't sure my info was accurate.
>>
>>48472491
It is also pertinent to point out that the post quoted noted that only blows that deal 1/4th of total HP actually count as a meat hit. But then again, people like >>48471779 enjoy being antagonistic assholes who have never played more than two sessions in a row due to being swiftly kicked out of any group.

In short: fuck off and kill yourself.
>>
>>48472353
A willing DM can bring back some of the numerical escalation you like about 3.5. +x magic items and tomes that boost ability scores beyond the caps are available in the DMG.

Optimization to the extent it was possible in 3.5 is not really a thing, but it's still possible to start from a particular concept and figure out the most optimal way to do it. There's at least one build out there that can 1 round Tiamat, though it couldn't do that every turn like some 3.5 uberchargers.
>>
>>48472353
you might still like it, the problem with 5e really is (currently at least) its very focused on lower levels.
something like 80% of the monsters/npcs in all the books, are under level 11, and since level 1-3 are either fast, unplayable, or both, those are out as well

so really, gameplay in 5e happens level 3-12, which you could find pretty shit, since all the interesting class abilities and choices are basically 15-20.

that being said, its not bad, the numbers are just lower. you're still capable of doing 4d12+20+4d6 in damage every round with classes if you want do. the thing is, ac and attack bonus are the "smaller numbers" rolling those attacks with even a +2 higher than normal, is a pretty big change.

realize, a level 1 character gets a +2 to rolls, a level 20 with no other modifiers? they get a whopping +6, and at that point, ac has gone up on everything by 3.
>>
>>48472523

It might be possible, but if you have to change the basic chassis of the system, I'm of the opinion that you're better off using a system built for it in the first place.

>>48472529

That's a shame since I prefer high and epic level gameplay.

A level 20 character going up a mere +4 over a level 1 character feels unrewarding, at least to me. It seems like things barely improve and there's no sense of progression. I really like that about 3.5, where things change and go up virtually every level. The numbers rise and show you how you're directly improving. Level 20 heroes being only a little better (at least numerically) than level 1 characters isn't the sort of game I'm fond of.
>>
>>48472580
the damage goes up relatively steadily, and that was just base attack bonus though. but really it applies both ways, your "insert attack stat" is most likely going to start somewhere around 2, and end around 6

the next monster book around November might help, but at this point, its still low level
>>
>>48472580
>>48472523

I ran my first campaign 5e campaign this way. I didn't have to change too much other than to start homebrewing monsters around CR 16 and up.

It really just takes DM cooperation.
>>
>>48472580
It has similar actual progression, 3.5 just has a lot of 'fake' progression because even though your numbers are going up by 30 or whatever by level 20, the enemies' are too.
But yeah, sounds like there are other systems you'd prefer, even just sticking with 3.5.
>>
>>48468320
R8 my character concept

American football player on a sports scholarship studying medicine who does HEMA in his free time.
Goes through the summoned to another world meme that japs love so much.

Basic stat spread:

13 Str
13 Dex
13 Con
13 Int
10 Wis
10 Cha

Lvl 1 fighter with dueling fighting style.

Skills: medicine, athletics and survival

Tools: medicine kit
>>
>>48472827
Extremely shit.
Unless you're playing in a comedy game or something.
Even then it's still pretty bad, sorry.
>>
Can refluffing a Valor Bard make a decent Warlord or should I use something else? I don't expect any of the Martial Healing retards say it needs but the less magical the better.
>>
>>48472963
Battle Master with Rally and Maneuvering Attack. Pick up Inspiring Leader.
Done.
>>
>>48472827
In the burn pile, unless the DM told you to make silly characters.
Take a second look at the backgrounds in the PHB.
>>
>>48472520
>It is also pertinent to point out that the post quoted noted that only blows that deal 1/4th of total HP actually count as a meat hit.

My players actually enjoy this.
Describing most minor HP loss counts as loss of stamina from hard parries or dodges and minor cuts and injuries has made things narratively a lot more interesting to them, because major hits now feel actually significant and they're much better at roleplaying out injuries.
One player actively appears to be adding significant combat scars to her character art, complete with placement on the body and what she got it from and where.
It feels kinda like one of those Souls games where near misses tend to deplete health or stamina or whatever you call it and then that solid one that finally connects just drops you like a fucking stone.

The only time HP is "meat points" for our group is on very large monsters that have so much body mass that human-scale injuries are fairly minor to them.
>>
>>48472984
Rally and Maneuvering Attack are both shit. I do want my character to be good otherwise I would play a banneret.
>>
>>48473026
Then Warlord is a shitty concept. Play another character.
>>
What are the best ways to make a dragonborn monk?
>>
Last session, In ten rounds of combat, I rolled 13 criticals.
Another character rolled 5.
Roll20 is fuckin weird.
>>
>>48472995
>>48472865
The rule of the game was to make suboptimal characters with chaotic/stupid/funny backgrounds and no stats above 13 until ASI.

The dude playing a wood elf feylock is for example "the child of a human and a driad and ma taught him some magics".

The cleric is a chaotic evil priest of Allah with a thing for explosives.

And the rogue is a Polish car thief who was summoned together with my character and brought along "his" new car.
>>
>>48473074
Strength monk is ok, but there are definitely better options. Playing in a typical campaign and taking the standard stats or pointbuy will leave you as the weaker one. At level 4 you can have 16 Dex and 16 Wis to get going but you are competing with 18 in everyone else's stats.

Go for it for a one shot but if you want to be the strongest in your group or at least the strong half of the group there are better options.
>>
>>48473074
Pick Dragonborn
Pick Monk
Don't pick WOT4E
Don't pick Shadow
DO pick quarterstaff

You should be good with that.
>>
What are the best ways to make a dwarf wizard?
>>
>>48473185
pick dwarf
pick wizard
>>
>>48473185
>>48473212

Alternatively, you can:

pick wizard
pick dwarf
>>
>>48473185
Hill dwarf you get tough
Wizard: Abjuration
Now you never have to worry about insta dying
>>
>>48473257
fuck, i forgot that one, thanks
>>
Which premade 5e adventures would be good for an inexperienced DM? All of us know D&D, but I'm more used to being a player. I've heard good things about Lost Mine of Phandelver, but a couple of my players have been through it before.

Or should I bite the bullet and write my own? I dunno how to do this.

I'd really rather be a player, but it looks like the only way I'll find a game is if I'm the one running it.
>>
>>48473185
Abjuration school, mountain dwarf with half plate, if you are using point buy go with 14, 14, 12, 14, 10, 8. Pick up spells with little reliance on your casting stat for The first few levels.
>>
My group is going to start podcasting our sessions soon. What are the do's and dont's, and does anyone have any experience with something similar?
>>
>>48473304
well lost mines is the box set one for a reason, its pretty much the easiest

most people just say both dragon ones arnt good all around, so even if they're easy, they might be lest fun

i think PoTA is what most people here say is the best one? i havent played it though, so i dont know of its quality/ease
>>
>>48473330
why 14 strength?
>>
>>48473359
armor
>>
>>48473397
>Your speed is not reduced while wearing heavy armor
You don't need it if you're a dwarf.
>>
>>48473397
dwarves speed cant be reduced by armor, and half plate doesn't have a requirement, only some heavy armors do
unless you mean armor/gear weight i guess?
>>
>>48473359
To take advantage of the gish potential in mountain dwarf wizard. Buy 14 str, it gets boosted to 16 by mountain dwarf racial stats, and use a staff in both hands as both your melee weapon and your casting focus. That's what I'd do at least.
>>
So what would be the best route in making a ninja? A monk first and then multiclass to rogue or vise versa? Or would a simple assassin rogue be enough?
>>
>>48473590
Nonmagical ninja: just assassin rogue.

Magical anime ninja: shadow monk/assassin rogue.
>>
File: n4playermap1-1.png (688KB, 677x900px) Image search: [Google]
n4playermap1-1.png
688KB, 677x900px
>>48468667
Since there's a lack of comments, I just decided to start converting N4 to 5e.
>>
File: tear.gif (1MB, 375x283px) Image search: [Google]
tear.gif
1MB, 375x283px
My level 5 paladin went off to buy time for the party to complete a mission. Slew 2 out of 10 Yuan-ti. A Marilith showed up and he somehow managed to turn it. Intimidated 6 of the Yuan-ti into leaving the fight. Died to the last two. RIP dude. Didn't think you had that much in you.
>>
File: Xorn.jpg (223KB, 1024x1325px)
Xorn.jpg
223KB, 1024x1325px
My party is 3 level 1s. They've gone into a mine and fought three goblins and a Xorn. I wasn't planning on them trying (repeatedly) to fight the Xorn (and I gave them a few hints that they weren't going to kill him).
They got him to a bit less than half HP, and then they decided to flee.
It sounds a bit lame on paper but the encounter was still fun and in good spirits, and I'm not bitter or anything against them for trying to kill him. Xorns are pretty alien and threatening-looking, and this one stole one of the players' necklace straight away.

I do have two questions for you /tg/.
1) How much XP do you think I should give them, if any?
2) How could I reliably make them realize there are other ways to get past such a creature?
>>
>>48472195
Enlarge is mostly redundant. Instead, rather than calling it 'enlarge', say that it gives 1d4 to all attacks (stacks with enlarge if anyone ever does that) and makes you grow maybe only to double your weight instead of eight times your weight (because that is some mad bullshit right there)
... and whatever else enlarge gave. All I remember is it gives you 1d4 and advantage on some strength things that rage already gives you. If it increases your carrying capacities and the like, that's basically stealing from bear totem's 6th level.

Change strength (Athletics) check to 'strength check', it's more general and less wordy.

10th level ability is basically an overpowered version of bear totem's 14th level. Think of something else,

Savage bloodlust is, yes, a bit questionable given barbarians give themselves advantage all the time, and the fact it only applies to 'your next attack' anyway.
I think something unique like, "whenever an ally crits or knocks an enemy to 0 hitpoints, you can grant them your rage bonus to damage until your rage ends" sort of a thing would be fun if you can remember to grant it, but fiddley and awkward because it normally only applies to strength.
A lot of the level 14 abilities look pretty good, but something team-based sounds good too.

In terms of balance, it's either underpowered or okay, though I'm not sure about the challenge thing which might put it in-balance. So, I'd let someone play that if they wanted in its current state.
>>
>>48473590
basically what you said, monk or rogue. rogue might be better with assassin or arcane trickster, and even though shadow isn't amazing, it does helpful things for "ninjas"

honestly though, unless you really want to be a "magic" ninja, straight rogue is going to be better
>>
>>48473590
A real-life history type ninja is just a dude what kills folks and spies while in disguise, so an Rogue [Assassin] since gets benefits towards poisoning and disguise and sneak-murdering shit.

A Japanese folkloric ninja would be a Monk [Way of Shadows] because those kind of ninjas display superhuman or nearly superhuman feats of agility but only use stealth long enough to get close to their enemies at which point they get in crazy-ass martial arts fight and vanish into the night.
Just fluff the Short sword as a ninjato for this one; short swords aren't THAT short (usually around two feet long), which is the length a ninjato was supposed to be more or less. A longsword would be a katana, but proper folkloric ninjas never used katanas because samurai iconography and shit.
>>
>>48473759
Use you fucking piece of shit
>>
>>48473668
don't give them any xp for the xorn fight. as fas as educating them about using alternative methods to pass the xorn, you could have an npc talk to them or even offer to help them. maybe the xorns are a common issue and there is an npc who makes a living by helping people pass? alternatively you could have them receive an item that would aid them. the next goblin they kill will just happen to have a potion that makes rocks turn into gems for a short while? the options are limitless really.
>>
>>48473143
>>48473158
thanks.
>>
GUYS HOLD THE FUCK UP

5th edition had electrum pieces?
>>
>>48473874
Yees, but that doesn't make them good.
>>
>>48473874
Has them, yes.
>>
>>48473641
F (X)
>>
>>48473874
dont bother, they're retarded
>>
>>48473874
You must be confused, anon. Electrum pieces were just part of that horrible homebrew currency system no one uses.
>>
>Critical Role
>Matt Mercer (DM) gives hand cone of clarity (+2 to spell save DC) to Scanlan, the bard
>Proficiency bonus +5, 20 Charisma, +2: spell save DC 20
>Now the party got a Tome of Leadership and Influence (+2 to Charisma after reading it)
>Spell save DC 21
the absolute madman
>>
>>48473824
>the options are limitless really.
I have a few in mind, but I'm asking the Hivemind in case I'm missing something obvious. For instance, i like your potion idea although it might not be doable.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure they're not going to tell anyone about the Xorn until they get their reward, and proof that they've defeated him somehow. Xorns shouldn't be a common denizen of this mine, and there shouldn't be any NPC able to help them in the vicinity.

I'm a bit hoping they'll realize what happened and they'll get a week to think about how to approach the encounter again. I'll probably make the Xorn a lot less threatening as well, although one player still has a raw diamond in his backpack. But if he goes for the backpack instead of somebody's neck, they might take the hint.
>>
>>48473641
f
>>
>tfw Human Variant Bard Lore College
>take Skilled as bonus Feat
>3 (class)+ 3(lore) + 3(feat) + 1(human) + 2(background) = 12 skills

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 8
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 16

This character is going to be such a adaptable whore.
>>
Started a new 5e table, rolled our AS (4d6 drop 1) before selecting class or race.

One guy rolled a 4 on one AS, but rather high otherwise.
My problem is a pure RP issue: Should it be allowed and does it make sense to now pick a Race to compensate? For example dump charisma, but pick half-elf for +2 charisma? Or should it be disallowed on grounds of being unrealistic for a half-elf to have this low charisma, or likewise unrealistic for a dwarf to have such low CON etc.?
>>
>GMing a group for the first time
>"Boss" Enemy for this series of adventurers is effectively just a high-level Monk
>The fight is (according to them) one of the most memorable in recent memory the group has had.
>Are actually kinda sad the LE Monk of Bane is dead because "dude was pretty fucking metal".

That really shouldn't have worked as well as it did. Like, at all.
>>
>>48474319
depends on how much you think characters should be stereotypes of their race
>>
>>48474308
in my experience its not as useful as you might think, but good luck to you
t. human rogue with the skilled feat
>>
>>48474329
enjoy the things the players like, try to think about what made that enjoyable to them.
Try and capture that feel with a new villain
>>
>>48474308
>DM, I want to make a perception check
>You can't, you are unconscious.

That's you. That's your character.
>>
Is there a way to make unarmed viable without Monk? Or should you always splash Monk into the character?

Gauntlets are fine, as well. I wanted to make a Paladin who punches things really hard. I also wouldn't mind a Barbarian who rips and tears with his hands.
>>
>>48474319
It should never be disallowed because all sentient beings have faults. Out of all the Half-Elves in the world, there are definitely going to be some that are uncharismatic. The racial bonuses simply reflect game balance and an overall archetype of the race itself.
>>
>>48474389
Are wizards and sorcerers constantly unconcious?

1d8 with -1 con is similar mathematically as a sorc/wiz with 1d6 + 1 con

I think you're great;y over-exagerating the effects of 8 con. Though I immediatly think 8 str and 10 con would be better.
>>
>>48474319
>Be DMing a group of 2 players
>First characters, one guy rolls all 12s & 13s, other guy rolls a nice mix except for a 4, he dumps into CHA
>Guy with all 12/13 stats died last week, just rolled a new character, another fucking 4
>Went with barb, and put the 4 in int
>After some discussion I bumped him up to 6 in, in exchange for a slight penalty to his WIS

Some scores at 4 aren't game breaking, but some just don't really work at very low numbers. Having a human with lower intelligence than a Hill Giant would have made play a nightmare.

I've been considering some sort of rule where if a player rolls <6, I just have them reroll that stat in the future. It's just not that feasible to be <6 in most cases, I feel.
>>
>>48474419
not really, theres ways to add more dice to unarmed, but every class can do that, and with normal weapons
you can do alright with unarmed grapple cheese, like dragging people into area effects and the like, but you cant really do more than 3d10 normally, that a monk could also do with its few multiclass levels, even more if you settle for a d8 unarmed strike
>>
>>48474419
A raging barbarian punches about as hard on average as a monk. An actual level of monk or tavern brawler increases this.
>>
>>48474419
At low levels you could get by with Tavern Brawler, but even by level 3 things start getting resists to non-magic weapons, and the damage with the TB feat never really scales. Also, most things that boost the damage of your attacks tend to apply to "weapon attacks". Though it's possible your DM might allow those things to apply to non-weapon attacks, for flavor reasons. (Barbarian Rage damage bonus for instance is only "weapon attacks", which I personally find stupid)
>>
>>48473670
I agree with the enlarge thing. I'll change it up.

I was considering something similar to Indomitable or Legendary Resistance for either 10 or 14. Thoughts?
>>
>>48474461
>1d8 with -1 con is similar mathematically as a sorc/wiz with 1d6 + 1 con
>1d8 - 1 = avg 3.5
>1d6 + 1 = avg 4.5
>>
>>48474329
Lawful Evil Monk? Bring him back later. Maybe some other god has some use for him, or Bane isn't done with him. Recurring villains are rad.
>>
>>48474545
>curses, my one weakness Math!
this is what he is thinking
>>
>>48474467
Jesus christ how horrifying, put your damn unlucky players on an array.
>>
>>48474371
I enjoyed it too, I just didn't expect such a strong reaction from them. I think their previous GM was sorta dry narratively and descriptively while I'm big on elaborate fight scenes and detailed action sequences.

The Monk was hardly even a CHARACTER in some ways.
He was kinda like Darth Maul; he hardly ever spoke and wasn't actually the source of the the threat of the adventure (that would be his Priest of Bane boss), but he spent a lot of time looming and being scary and one or twice the players observed the leftovers of his handiwork.
I never even gave him a friggin' name; he was just known by his title, the "Fist of Bane", or just "the Fist".
>>
>>48474594
Less is more, apparently. You created the right flavor and left the rest to the imagination.
>>
>>48474467
rolling is dumb imo, but what i would do is just make any roll under an 8 into an 8.
>>
>>48474565
I DID think about his boss rezzing him, but given how awesome the fight ended up being (4-on-1 against him and through a combination of a good build and excellent rolls he had a remarkably good showing) and how satisfied they felt when they finally killed him AGAIN (at one point in the fight he dropped "dead" but then used his Open Hand healing ability and downed a potion or two) that I don't want to cheapen his death by having his boss just "lol, no" him back to life.
>>
>>48474569
>>48474545

Oh god 20 hp at level 20!

Its literally the difference between being a hill dwarf or a mountain dwarf, if its that much of an issue you better always, ALWAYS pick hill dwarf over mountain dwarf, because the way you literally described it if you are 1 hp behind on average then you're just dead, always, you're fucked, there's absolutely NOTHING you can do, you better just fucking retire your character immediately.

You better always get tpughness first always too, 2hp extra per level, you're fucking invincible then JESUS THATS TWO FUCKING EXTRA HP!
>>
File: 1427845810207.jpg (818KB, 1000x1466px) Image search: [Google]
1427845810207.jpg
818KB, 1000x1466px
Can anyone comment on how viable a rogue/bladelock would be? I'm trying to decide between that and a barbarian/bladelock.

Rest of the party is a druid, ranger, and paladin. Pic slightly related.
>>
>>48474528
>When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll
Unarmed Strikes are melee weapon attacks, anon, even if you're not using an actual weapon. It's just the game's terminology.
>>
>>48474766
just take a good hard look at level by level how it will play out and if you can handle that
>>
So what's this goodberry nonsense that was mentioned earlier? I can only see it giving 10hp, someone please explain

>>48474701
Calm your tits, man, he just made a bad joke
>>
>>48470421
Seriously why Geas
>>
>>48474766
well, you're going to get your second attack from different places, so thats going to eat an invocation that barb could have saved and rogue is going to be a bit more frail, since you need to worry about armor/have less health now. i guess it also depends on what specialization you pick for each, though i would presume at/ass and totem
other than always having a dagger or whatever you use, and having your super mage hand, i honestly feel like thematically barb/lock is much more interesting
you have limited spells, because you lose control easily, and cant cast anyway. you can never be without your massive weapon
barb gets its own second attack, so you free up an invocation
it also get unarmored, so thats obviously a bonus

honestly though, i just LIKE the idea of barb/lock better than rogue/lock, but its going to be down to whatever you want to play more. that being said, rogue/lock will most likely need more rogue levels to be good, and barb lock really only needs 5/3
>>
>>48470487
WHY GEAS
>>
>>48474940
When you get a bonus to each heal you make, a bunch of small heals becomes amazing
>>
>>48474766
ask yourself this, do you want to be a raging barbarian capable of literally hurling people through hell?
>>
>>48474940
goodberry gives 10 health for a 1st level slot, spread however you want, so you're never overhealing
cure wounds, the closest comparable, does 1d8+stat, realistically you need to be at +3/4 to be comparable average, but obviously its up to a roll, and only effects one person

also life clerics multiply the healing by 4, 40 healing for a first level spell, and a 1 level dip

really though, its just the best out of combat healing for the first 9ish levels of play. in combat, unless your dm lets you stuff berries down someones throat like a potion, its relatively useless
>>
>>48474980
That's really funny, cheers
>>
>>48474968
Something something honor quest
>>
>>48475067
Geas makes no sense
>>
Outside of the Player's Handbook, DM'S Guide, and Monster Manual, are there any books with classes or subclasses in it?
>>
>>48475196
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has new subclasses.
>>
>>48475196
SCAG & UAs
>>
>>48475196
There's no other classes, but Sword Coast Adventures Guide has some subclasses, and some of the unearthed Arcana have semi official subclasses and classes (and races)
Might be some more I'm forgetting
>>
File: Human Warlord (8).png (653KB, 724x1024px)
Human Warlord (8).png
653KB, 724x1024px
Sup fellas. As you all may or may not know, the Banneret/PDK in Sword Coast Adventure Guide sucks major dick. This is my attempt to un-dick it.

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1WnXOHd
>>
Hi /5eg/. I'm relatively new to 5e and I need some advice.

I rolled 17-13-13-12-10-8 and want to build a general-purpose Mastermind Rogue, variant human. First feat is Burglar from UA for dex boost and expertise in lockpicks, race boosts are put in wis and cha.. Starting at level 4, so, should I go melee or ranged? What skills to focus on? What to pick for a second feat?
>>
>>48469896
Variant human would make me feel salty if I was playing a sorcerer of any other race myself.

Don't even get sorcery points til level 2, and metamagic until 3.

Then again, I suppose that's no different from martial adept, outside the maneuvers being a d6 forever.
>>
>>48475372
im going to presume right off the bat you wrote your stats down in the wrong order there?
also why would you up your wis and cha instead of dex or str?

i mean, if you wrote them right, you should be strength, but thats just extra MAD for some reason. str pretty much means melee, but you can throw if you really wanted to be ranged. you already have proficiency in lockpicks from thieves tools, so i dont know why you need burgular to do that.

i kinda feel like you typed stuff out wrong, are trying to bait confusingly, or need to reread the rogue/mastermind block
>>
>>48475495
Yes, I did write them down in the wrong order.

STR 8 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 12 WIS 13 CHA 13, or,
with all the boosts, STR 8 DEX 18 CON 10 INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 14.
>>
>>48469771
>EK is too weak!

EK is broken if you're not retarded and get a ring of spell storing or anything that gives additional spell slots

seriously how do you kill a EK with a shield in plate armor that has access to Shield and Absorb Elements?
>>
>>48475264
Ehhh....You made a healbot archetype.
>>
>>48474766
I think Warlock, Paladin, Fighter and Ranger are all decent for rogues that want the extra attack, usually people do fighter but with decent charisma warlock/pally can work just as well.
>>
>>48475612
The same way you kill anything, anon. Tarrasque.
>>
>>48474940
>If I’m a cleric/druid with the Disciple of Life feature, does the goodberry spell benefit from the feature? Yes. The Disciple of Life feature would make each berry restore 4 hit points, instead of 1, assuming you cast goodberry with a 1st-level spell slot.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-august-2015
>>
>>48475524
okay, thats ALOT better, you just had them in descending order. i thought for some reason your dm forced you to roll, and threw you into the satan pit of "roll in order"
i would still really throw your human point into your dex, since no matter if you're ranged/melee, youre going to be dex anyway.
get burgular if you really really want, but first level, you can get expertise in it ANYWAY as a level 1 rogue
your skills are going to depend on what your party picked and what your role is going to be in the party, but if you forced me to pick generically
stealth > perception > acrobatics > persuasion
though your mileage is going to vary if you have a bard with persuasion, or a druid with perception, shit like that.
ranged and melee once again is going to depend on your party. but ranged is obviously going to be safer and melee might be better if you dont plan on multiclassing, and plan on dual weilding
i personally would just up your dex to 20 at level 4 though, but im sure someone else can suggest a feat

ignoring feats, i would go STR 8 DEX 18 CON 10 INT 12 WIS 13 CHA 14 from your human stats though, so you have one to pick up anyway
>>
>>48475264
You either need Inspiring Word to be stronger than a Battle Master fighter focusing on Rally (though it's not temp HP, it's the same magnitude, and you only get between about two and five PER DAY rather than four to six PER REST). Maybe bump it up to 2d8,3d8,4d8 rather than increasing the die size (keeps it distinct from battle master), or give uses back on short rest. The restriction on it being a reaction prevents boating HP recovery in breaks which is good.
Other things are all neat, but it might be worth giving the Warlord SOMETHING for themselves, rather than being totally supportive.
>>
>>48475264
I really would like a fighter archetype that was a mix between PDK and Battlemaster, but this looks like'd be kinda boring to play.
>>
>>48472195
>>48472205
Me

>>48473670
What do you think of these:

Biggest and Baddest
Staring when you choose this path at 3rd level, your rage surges through your muscles causing you to grow to an immensely terrifying sight. While you are raging, you begin to grow in size and gain the following benefits:
Double in all dimensions, and weight is multiplied by four.
Increase size catagory by one - from Medium to Large.
Your weapons also grow in size to match. While these weapons are enlarged, attacks with them deal 1d4 extra damage.
When your rage ends, you return to normal size.

Warlord's Favor
At 6th level, your allies are bolstered by your strength. Whenever an ally you can see within 30 feet makes a Strength saving throw or Strength check, you can use your reaction to give them advantage on the roll.

Toughest and Meanest
When you reach 10th level, while raging, if a magical effect would force you to make a saving throw, you can use your reaction to make it with advantage. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Savage Bloodlust
Starting at 14th level, The sight of turmoil and destruction on the battlefield fills you with glee. Whenever you reduces a creature to 0 hit points, or scores a critical hit, each enemy within 30 feet that can see you must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC equals 8 + your proficency bonus + your Strength bonus) or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.
This effect ends if the creature ends its turn out of line of sight or more than 60 feet away from you.
>>
>>48475857
>>48472984
>>
>>48475727
>but it might be worth giving the Warlord SOMETHING for themselves, rather than being totally supportive.

I always assumed that people bothering with Warlord, like people playing Life Clerics, want super-support utility on top of their basic class abilities. (I'm not the guy who made the Archetype).
>>
>>48475696
>>48475524
now that i think of it, mastermind eats up your bonus actions (so crossbow and dual wield are junk) and you can help from 30 feet away, so theres little to no reason to be melee.
pick up a longbow, hand crossbow if you really really want crossbow expert, and a utility feat or alert. maybe sharpshooter if you want it
>>
File: n4templeprogress1.png (2MB, 1650x820px) Image search: [Google]
n4templeprogress1.png
2MB, 1650x820px
>>48473638
>>
>>48475890
10 sounds pretty okay, actually. Doesn't clash with danger sense too much, and it's not too powerful like the other level 10s.
6th level looks pretty nice actually maybe too.

I still don't like the sound of 'doubling in all dimensions', more like.. 1.5x in all dimensions, and your weight would be increased by roughly 3x with that. And give the 1d4 again.

I suppose if you really want to be literally the fucking hulk then go ahead. I was a bit cautious at first because the game is very cautious about giving people 'large' size over medium size, but the enlarge spell does give you 'large' size. Just try to remember what being large instead of medium means. .. Because I can't remember 100% of it.
Level 14 sounds pretty fun, though maybe reduce its range a bit, I think?
>>
File: Human Warlord.jpg (87KB, 864x561px) Image search: [Google]
Human Warlord.jpg
87KB, 864x561px
>>48475615
It's true that I wanted the primary focus to be healing but that's already what the banneret does. Plus I liked the idea of healing allies as a reaction primarily rather than directly. If you have ideas for how to spice it up let me know - I originally thought of healing for a d6 but adding Charisma to their next attack.

>>48475727
I like the idea of giving more dice instead of larger dice, and you raise a good point. If I moved to 2d8/3d8/4d8, the levels that that should improve should probably be 7/11/15 I imagine?

>>48475857
I was thinking of adding some kind of unique warlord maneuvers that were entirely based around influencing allied actions (e.g. let ally move 2, let ally Disengage, etc) Thoughts?
>>
>>48476083
Just look at Battle Master maneuvers, they have all that crap you're trying to reinvent.
>>
>>48476083
My main grievance with the IDEA of the Warlord is that it's a concept filling the role of a General or a commander of large forces, in a game that's about an elite squad of murderhobos pillaging dungeons.
I don't think the Cloistered Monk needs to be a Cleric Arch, nor does the Circus Ringmaster need to be a Rogue Arch for the same reasons.

Thematically and mechanically, the 5e game is not about large tabletop strategy battles.

The reason many of the party control features of the Battlemaster are considered "substandard" is that the streamlined combat doesn't make flanking and the like a facet of the game (by design).

I just struggle to see any reason/need for the archetype to begin with in this iteration of the game.
>>
>>48476110
Years of splatbooking have made it reflexive for people to want a new Class/Race/Archetype for concepts that could efficiently be done with a little creativity/homebrew feat/tweaked existing feature the DM agrees to.

Some people feel the game is woefully lacking if there aren't 24 fighter archetypes.

Those people need to go play 3.splatbook.
>>
What would happen to you if you were inside of a Mage’s Magnificent Mansion when the spell ends or gets dispelled? Trapped? Expelled? Just die?
>>
>>48476504
You fall on the ground around where the entrance was, I believe
>>
>>48476504
RTFM
>>
File: Tiefling Warlord (2).jpg (237KB, 640x941px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling Warlord (2).jpg
237KB, 640x941px
>>48476179
Thank you for your criticism; I understand the concern. Part of the reason I started fleshing out the archetype is on request from some of my players, so I think that some people at least feel the archetype is not adequately filled, and while I agree that a general or commander doesn't fit super well into 5e D&D I think something akin to a charismatic captain or other leader certainly could use some thematic and rule love.

>>48476243
>>48476110
I appreciate the criticism, but on the other hand some people just like having more options, and I felt like making this one. The game can definitely be bloated, but this would be replacing the Banneret for any who like the idea, bringing the total to only 4 fighter archetypes - I don't think that's too much.

--------------------------

For those still willing to offer advice, the previous link should reflect some new updates I've made. I beefed up the healing to reflect its more limited use compared to the Battlemaster's temporary hit points, and I added a system of maneuvers similar to the Rogue's bonus actions that I think are distinct enough from the Battlemaster maneuvers that they might attract players.
>>
>>48470575
Possibly too late, but I recall the starter adventure in PotA has a Nothic in a setup that sounds like it would be fitting.
>>
I want to boost my party's stats, but not their main ones. How can I go about this? I've been going through the DMG looking for possible items, and so far the ones that fit best are Ioun Stones (if I were to lower the cap to, say, 16) and that one effect from a Bag of Beans, but I don't want to increase their dump stats, just their tertiary or quaternary.
>>
File: contemplative tears.jpg (52KB, 898x348px) Image search: [Google]
contemplative tears.jpg
52KB, 898x348px
>>48476754
>Only 4 fighter archetypes
>Mostly done with my Kensei archetype
>>
>>48476851
the main problem is going to be, you cant really assign items without doing like you said and ioun stones.
really any made up gear that has some sort of cap would be fine, but you obviously cant just give them books of stat, and thats the generic "stat up item"
>>
How bad is Beast Master, honestly?

One of our players wants to play one, but she's worried that she'll be too weak because everybody is telling her how bad it is. Is it really that underpowered? She doesn't care about being super strong or anything; she just doesn't want to be useless.
>>
>>48475264
do not want
why did you give the fighter a 5 options cunning action
>>
>>48476802
>PotA
Are you sure you don't mean LMoP? In case you do:
I added two Piercers to that fight and made the Nothic's gaze force a WIS save on a successful CON save; failing the WIS save got you a roll on the short-term madness table (effect duration reduced to rounds instead of minutes, WIS save to snap out of it if they hurt friendlies).
The players were a party of 4 lv2's, smashing the Nothic to a pulp was easy, but the Piercers screwed with the ranged PCs who became incessantly paranoid when crossing the bridges. The meatshield Fighter got induced with short-term RAAAGE and the party had to pile on top of him until his madness subsided.

All in all the most memorable encounter they've had.
>>
>>48476243
I don't like 24 archtype splatbooks for every class, especially for Fighters and Wizards. These are my problems with 5e right now.

>Not enough feats
>I'd like to see more access to feats, or some other "smaller" trait/customization system. I actually like feats as they are, grouped, and powerful for each feat you get. I'd just like another step or two to character creation that offers variety on a mechanical level, specifically altering class abilities.

Certain classes need far more archtypes, off the top of my head Sorcerer is by far the most lacking, theres got to be more sorcerer types than lolrandom and dragon.

I see this edition of D&D as the edition that wants to set everything in stone and get it right, the timeless edition of D&D. As such I'd like to see a return of a complete set of class handbooks. There is a very specific state where you enter "splatbook" teir edition, and in my mind thats when you start hitting ultra specific archtypes like, barbarians that specialize in chair/table combat, and Paladins that are specifically bowmasters and shit like that. What I'd want out of the guides is a specific researching of the history of each class, its place in D&D, and its place in the world of human storytelling, the types of stereotypical character archs associated with the class, how the class interacts with monsters in the monster manual, how a commoner is raised, trained, or born into that class.

I mean obviously you can just make everything up, I most certainly do, though I stick extremely close to the D&D archtypes for classes. But the books would still ne cool to have and I'd be fine with rather than splats of archtypes, a look at abilities in the class and how they could be altered or replaced, or expanded with something else with DM approval.

Currently a lot of the classes feel like they are too general in their grouping of abilities.
>>
>>48476971
not that guy but 2 of them arent really cunning action-esque since you have to attack as part of it
>>
>>48476944
These changes should suffice.
>death saves for companion (this is RAW but people are dumb)
>can order barding to be made (x5 normal price iirc)
>companion adds Ranger proficiency to their DCs (Pounce etc.)
>companion HP equal to Ranger level x6 (might be too much)
>companion is considered to not be lobotomized even when the Ranger isn't directly commanding it (this is RAI but people are fucking retards)

Anyone complaining about the action economy are almost always plain wrong.
>>
>>48477022
either way they seem really powerful and those two give your party extra attacks for your bonus action at no cost.
>>
>>48476944
its not terrible, the problem is, it IS terrible up untill level 5, and just bad then till 7
honestly though, someone has to be the worse, and the biggest problem is, alot of the rangers strengths, (base class) are all dependent on the dm, not the player. most of them are also out of combat abilities
>>
File: 1461688443479.gif (902KB, 576x432px)
1461688443479.gif
902KB, 576x432px
>>48470279
>tfw that grill
>>
>>48476944
Consider this. It looks like a sensible Ranger rework. Also, >>48477092, barding is 2x the cost of normal armor, but 4x the weight.
>>
>>48477092
>>48477097
What about letting somebody pick a large creature for a pet? Would that be a bit too much? Not right away, of course, but maybe in the later levels.

Thanks for the suggestions. Any others? Looking for any simple fixes since she is a new player and can't keep track of a lot of things yet.
>>
>>48477242
I suppose by Large you mean something that would be able to serve as a mount? Consider having the companion scale in size as the Ranger levels up.
>>
>>48477281
Well, the character is a Halfling, so she can already ride Medium mounts. I was mostly just talking in terms of combat abilities since larger animals are typically stronger.
>>
>>48477242
size isn't going to change anything that matters, cr and really, just health is whats important. >>48477202
is the best fix imo, it just skims the most logical stuff from other homebrews, and puts them together the way the base class is
since you're looking for simple, it might be your best bet, since a large majority of it, is already stuff in the phb
unless you mean mount like >>48477281
said, then theres no real way a new player is going to get mounted combat rules
>>
>>48473622
>>48473674
>>48473717
Thanks for the replies! What would be a good race for a ninja? 1/2 elf, elf or human variant?

What would be a good feat to pick up right away with the human variant? Master of Disguise, Martial Adept, Lucky, Mobile, Skulker or Weapon Master?
>>
>>48477242
Pet size is generally not terribly important, but keep in mind that Large creatures are not going to be able to accompany a small/medium character everywhere.
>>
>>48477294
Size has no bearing on combat ability (beyond carrying people away) and the companions attacks scale with the Ranger's levels anyway.
>>
>bards have to take college of valor to get access to shields.
>heavy armor is only available to certain cleric domains

I fucking hate this.
>>
>>48477306
half elf is arguably the "best" race in the phb, their stats arnt amazing unless you are doubling as the face
unless you need darkvision (which you honestly might) i would go variant human > elf > half elf with wood being better than high
>>
>>48477306
For a fantasy ninja, I'd definitely go with mobile. For a realistic one, it depends on which aspect you feel needs the most help. Wood Elf from a stat perspective would make a really good fantasy ninja, while Half Elf would make a much better realistic ninja. Most common races would make fine ninjas from a lore perspective though.
>>
>>48477306
wood elf is number 1, then other elves and humans, pretty much anything is serviceable after that.
>>
>tfw variant human almost every single character I make because not picking a feat at first level makes me feel like I'm missing a character creation step.
>>
>>48477202
That seems decent, though I would still let the companion add the Ranger's proficiency to its DCs.
>>
>>48477343
What's wrong with this?
>>
>>48477405
>tfw currently playing vanilla human
>>
>>48477457
I consider both of those fundamental proficiencies for every member of the class.
>>
>>48477486
It's a shame you're wrong then.
>>
>>48477486
I could see why you would think that for clerics with heavy armor, but I can't think of a time when bards with shields have been considered staple to what they would have proficiency in.
>>
>>48477455
Also, the companion gets two saving throw proficiencies that never scale. Is it possible that it was supposed to get the Ranger's proficiency as a bonus here?
It is, however, somewhat of an over-tuning. Simply giving the beast the Ranger's proficiency in their highest ability score save would be enough.
>>
>>48477486
i could maybe see cleric, even though its wrong, but why bard shields?
>>
More of a lore-based question, but my campaign has been navigating the Feywild and may be preparing to planeshift to the Elemental Plane of Fire.

I recently placed my character in a situation where he may or may not be enslaved as part of a menagerie for eternity, DM pending. So, I am preparing a new character to start around level 9, also DM pending.

I'm already having difficulty decided what to go with now, with the exception of a planeswalking wizard. What I need now are alternate explanations for those less magically inclined. We already had one character which just happened to have fallen into the Feywild without explanation, and also joined the party without explanation, and I hate that shit. Thoughts?
>>
>>48477518
Well fuck you too,

>>48477540
>>48477556

I'm not familiar with 2nd E or 1st E but every edition I've played, mainly 3, 3.5, 3.PF Bards having basic shield proficiecies have been as standard as them having procifiencies with rapiers.

Bards a class I've played a lot, and I've always had a shield and been a skill monkey. I hate having to chose between the bonus skill proficiencies in lore, and being able to use a shield, when I don't really care for the extra attack or like combat casting in valor. Its something where I really feel like core bard shit is just split up for no reason than the sake of balance I guess.

Bard isn't a class where it should be "Either your a blade dancer/skald, or your a spell thief/fullcaster mage"

I want an archtype where I can be closer to bards of old by giving up full caster status, and dipping into combat/skilling, and making inspiration the CORE class feature.

Also if they had tower shields I'd throw as much of a bitch fit if they were like "well fighters don't get tower shield proficiency standard anymore"
>>
>>48477320
>>48477307
So, a tiny-sized bat would eventually have just as much combat ability as a medium panther due to the scaling? Just trying to clarify here, I'm somewhat new to 5th Edition, myself.
>>
>>48477668
Essentially, yes. Basically, think of a ranger pet as an extension of the ranger themselves. It's not a typical animal, but one empowered by the bond they share with the ranger.
>>
>>48477639
well stealing cursed/accidentally used items works for every class
same as getting on someones bad side, some asshole throws you through the planes

also you guys are obviously visiting the "baby mode" plane of fire, so you'll most likely have alot of relatively safe places, or items that let you survive there, like boats/subs in water.
you could be a merchant/explorer getting items from there/for the tools to survive there
>>
>>48477668
the problem is you're not seperating size and cr/abilities
look at the base ranger animal guide, most all of them are medium anyway, but not all of the good eligible cr ones are

in your example though, you're comparing a cr0 animal, and a cr1 animal, which is vastly different strength, because of the cr and to a lesser extent, the abilities
>>
>>48473112

this sounds horrible
>>
>>48477668
the only things that large size eligible would really add, that could theoretically be as good as existing options are elk and panther anyway

there really arnt any tiny beasts 1/4 cr anyway to compare agains, but if there was, (barring slightly different stats and abilities) it would be around the same strength as a large 1/4 beast

but that doesn't mean the exact same strength, there are alot of "bad" options in medium size 1/4 cr already, and few good ones. which is mostly related to their abilities
>>
>>48473158

>Don't pick Shadow

bad advice, Shadow is fine and even pretty awesome at times.
>>
>>48477639
The new character has been a slave for years, was released because their owner found a replacement (your old character). Alternatively, they escaped, and your old character was chosen as replacement. Bonus points if they're some kind of a freak, being in a menagerie.

Stumbled into a portal to the Feywild, in a night of full moon, following a nymph who enthralled them with her beauty. Have you read The Wise Man's Fear? Having a Felurian kind of situation could be interesting.

Was stolen as a baby and adopted by a member of the Seelie court.

Kidnapped by a coven of hags to be part of some dark ritual, managed to escape, but they might be on pursue.

Be a beastmaster ranger and ask your DM if you can have a Blink Dog companion.
>>
>>48477836
>make darkness
>you cant see through
>>
>>48473590

I wouldn't multi-class Monk/Rogue. Sneak attack and Monk's extra attacks are unsynergetic, it delays your extra attack and your other great features unnecessarily if you're mostly monk and it slows down your Sneak attack (and other great features) if you're mostly Rogue.

If you want to play a master of disguise assassin, just go Assassin. If you want to play more of a mystic variety, play full Shadow Monk.
>>
>>48477661
I didn't know 3.5 bards got shields. Then again due to arcane spell failure chance cause by shields and armor I probably would not of used it anyways.

Anyways, the split it up mostly for balance and also because shield proficiency is tied to medium armor proficiency. Your best option for making a character to your 3.5 days is the moderately armored feat. It'll give you the shield proficiency and a +1 in dex.
>>
>>48477859

So that invalidates the rest of the archtype? Gaining Minor Illusion, Silence, Dark Vision, Pass Without Trace (awesome if you want to bring a few less sneaky characters into a sneaking mission) an unlimited Misty Step from shadow to shadow, and the ability to use Greater Invisibility for free if you're in a shadow? The archtype is great. Even Darkness you can't see through is a destination/starting point to a shadow jump (or a way to cloak yourself and turn invisible). There is nothing wrong with the Shadow archtype.
>>
>>48477859
Take 2 levels in warlock for devil's sight. Problem solved.
>>
>>48477661

The reason you have to go Valor bard for shields is because Valor bard IS the melee focused archtype. Bard is a full caster, it's a full casting class. All bards don't need shields.
>>
>>48477863
Actually, past that extra attack, sneak attack starts increasing a rogue/monk's damage output past what the base classes can do on their own. Going Shadow Monk 6 and then taking the rest in rogue is great.
>>
Is there a reason why wizards don't get heat metal? It just seems odd to leave them out.
>>
File: 1466135400543.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466135400543.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I've never played 4e and don't know anything about it whatsoever
But from what I can tell, everyone seems to give it the Voldemort treatment

What was so bad about it?
>>
>>48478063
Try making a thread for it instead of asking in a 5e thread.
>>
>>48477979

Locks you out of free greater invsibility, proficiency in all saves, neuters your Ki Points (important for spell casting, stunning strikes, Flurry of Blows...), stops your unarmed attacks from scaling, immunity to poison/disease, Unarmored Movement scaling, Stillness of Mind..

You sacrifice a lot for that extra damage. I don't think it's worth it, since the game isn't always about damage.
>>
>>48478045
druids get it because they're racist against metal
>>
>>48477973
Yeah well I think they wen't a retarded direction with bard, and literally every other edition of the game backs my view up. I have no idea why they decided to make bard a full caster at all, yet alone by default, but I think its fucking stupid and doesn't fit the class at all.

They're historically in the same group as other half-casters. Sorry if I'm bitching about losing basic a basic functionality of the class because they decided to move it in a completely different direction for whatever reason.
>>
>>48478144

Just pick Valor Bard?? That's the entire reason for the archtypes, after all. You'll note that the other core School has better spell casting capability because it's the casting focused school while Valor is the slightly melee focused one. Like how Circle of the Land druids get more cantrips and spells compared to circle of the moon druids, who get better wild shapes.

It's literally the entire point of these archtypes, anon. I think these subclasses are one of the things that make 5e pretty good.
>>
>>48478201
I want the extra skill proficiencies from the lore school, I don't give a fuck about the casting or cutting words ability. I mean I guess going Valor and then skilled is the way to go as human variant.

If I didn't do that I'd only have 5 skills, and thats basic bitch tier.
>>
Wait, so how many spells should a paladin know at level 3?

The table in the paladin section tells me it gets three first level slots, but I can't find how many spells a paladin should KNOW at level 3

Unless I'm being a dumbass and the answer is already right in front of me
>>
>>48478268
Or go Lore and take Moderately Armored, that way you have a +1 to three stats (or a +2 to Dex) and proficiency with medium armor and shields.
>>
>>48478281
Paladins, like clerics and druids, prepare from their entire class spell list. They can prepare a number of spells equal to half their paladin level, rounded down, + their Charisma modifier.
>>
>>48478281
Read the book. As a paladin, you prepare spells, like Clerics. IIRC you can prepare a number of spells equal to your paladin level + your Charisma modifier.
>>
>>48478115
I understood that, but Bards get it too. It just seems odd that a spell with such a simple premise is unavailable to wizards.
>>
>>48477355
>>48477379
If I do decide on a human variant, what feat would be better to get off the bat? Skulker or Moble?
>>
>>48478268
5 skills AND jack of all trades AND expertise. That's more bonuses to skills than any other class. I'm not sure if you are just bitching to bitch or if you are retarded and did not know that.
>>
>>48478318
skulker would fit more thematically, but mobile is probably the better feat
>>
>>48478313
bards get it because the fill alot of holes in druid circles if you get my drift
>>
>>48478281
Paladins are divine casters so I'd assume they have access to their full spell list and simply have to prepare spells.

>>48478296
With lore I'm gaining 2 abilities I actually care about
>bonus proficiencies
>peerless skill

With valor I'd feel far closer to a jack of all trades than I would with lore and that would make me feel far more like an actual bard than being some spellthief faggot.
>>
>>48478281
>>48478306
>half their paladin level, rounded down
I stand corrected. So, at level 3, you should have (1+Cha mod) prepared spells, plus the 2 you get from your Oath.
>>
>>48478335
The only thing I bitched about was shields not being a base class feature, I don't even think thats a big deal.

Bards are awesome skillers, arguably the best in this edition. I'd rather have even more skills than 5 though and give up usefulness in combat. I realize that by getting more proficiencies I'm making Jack of All trades less efficient but its worth it imo.

basically to me
>Lore Proficiency > Valor Proficiency (this is mental bias because I'm used to the valor proficiencies being standard)
Cutting Words < Combat Inspiration
Additional Magical Secrets < Extra Attack
Peerless Skill < Battle Magic
>>
>>48478306
>>48478312
>>48478364
>>48478377
Thanks goons.

Never played a spell-preparing class before to be honest so I was confused.
>>
>>48478045
Because it is not traditionally a wizard spell. At least that's what I remember.
>>
>>48478506
Ah. I haven't played much other than 5e (Started on 3.5e a few months before 5e came out), but would it really break the game to let a wizard take it?
>>
what is a stronger effect, expertise or advantage to a skill check?
>>
Let's continue this talk about bards.

>>48478618
>>48478618
>>48478618
>>
>>48478607
Advantage in my opinion.

I'd rather have 2 chances with 1d20+6 than 1d20 + 12 especially when you consider lower levels

1d20 + 2 x2 is way better than 1d20+4
>>
>>48478592
arguably no, but it basically is a really good unique damage spell, and druids/bards dont get any form of elemental specialization, so you couldn't really give it to a sorc.
i mean, you could say the same about any spell, it wont arguably break anything, but some spells are unique for a reason. why would a wizard have it other than "they want it"
if you're a dm and you want/a player wants someone to have it, do whatever you want. but if you're the player and you really want heat metal for some reason, well why are you a wizard
>>
>>48478607
http://anydice.com/program/8f37

Expertise averages higher and has a higher cap.

Advantage makes higher numbers more likely and reliable, however.
>>
>>48478318

Mobile is honestly top tier for Monks and Rogues. I'd just go Mobile.
>>
Does anyone know of a warlock that makes it pact with another wizard. I'm pretty sure if seen it I just don't remember where
Thread posts: 419
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.