[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the Arctic so well-suited for the telling of Lovecraftian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 35

File: CoQY5kdXgAA3x5O.jpg (72KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
CoQY5kdXgAA3x5O.jpg
72KB, 736x736px
Why is the Arctic so well-suited for the telling of Lovecraftian tales?
>>
>>48460973
because we all know it's there, but none of us have actually been there. Lots of unexplored space, and sometimes weird, dramatic landscapes. Plus all that open sky; lots of stars at night. Something about being at "the top of the world," too, contributes to the ethereal weirdness of the area. And it's one of the areas of the planet, like the deep sea, where we simply cannot survive on our own.
>>
>>48461028
It's also super empty of life, adding to the sense of isolation.
>>
>>48460973
Antarctic you asshat

Vast untraveled frozen continent that is only accessible by sea is vastly more terrifying than a simple ice cap you could sled to
>>
>>48461099
>Antarctic you asshat

What's the diff?
>>
>>48461099
but what about that yawning watery emptiness underneath the thin sheet of ice? It's the only thing keeping you out of the gaping jaws of icethulu, and it's getting thinner
>>
File: Antarctic CoC 01.png (2MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Antarctic CoC 01.png
2MB, 1632x1224px
>>48460973
It is lonely, harsh, and poorly explored.
>>
File: Antarctic CoC 02.png (1MB, 1668x1208px) Image search: [Google]
Antarctic CoC 02.png
1MB, 1668x1208px
>>48461028
>we all know it's there, but none of us have actually been there

Also this. It resembles a frontier of civilization, a mythical place. Just like Egyptian ruins or the high seas in Lovecraft's day.
>>
File: Muzski-Tintin-Lovecraft.jpg (220KB, 733x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Muzski-Tintin-Lovecraft.jpg
220KB, 733x1024px
>>48461149
pls see
>>48460531
>>
>>48461141
Not him, but arctic refers to the north and antarctic to the south. I think most of the arctic lovecraft stories take place at the bottom of the world rather than the top, but who gives a shit, it's not like they're that different
>>
>>48461141
One's at the north, one's at the south.
>>
>>48461141
Artic is north, there's no land there, just an ocean covered in ice. Depending on the time of year the ice sheet overlaps with Greenland, Northern Canada, and Siberia, making it possible to travel to the north pole entirely by foot.

Antartic is south, it's an actual continent isolated by southern seas year round. Conditions are more extreme - even though it's perpuetually icy it's also technically a high-altitude desert because there's no precipitation and the ice cap is thousands of feet thick.
>>
File: Lovecraft-of-the-Antarctic.jpg (30KB, 322x472px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft-of-the-Antarctic.jpg
30KB, 322x472px
>>48461141
Arctic is at the North pole. It has no landmass and is purely an ice sheet. There's polar bears.

Antarctic is at the South pole. It is a continent that is merely covered in glaciers. There's penguins, ancient ice core drilling, and a research station by the pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fch483sIoMA
>>
>>48461746
Which one does The Thing live at?
>>
>>48461794
Who Goes There?, The Thing From Another World, or The Thing / the other Thing?
>>
>>48460973

It's bleak, foreboding and isolated -- and yet beautiful, breathtaking. It hides threats, anything might be the thing that kills you. Its a sheer, immense void that wordlessly communicates how small you are, and is incredibly lethal without having to DO anything other than "be itself".

And shit might be buried there forever. There's a TV show called Fortitude, which is about a murder in the titular mining town, the northernmost human settlement on Earth, and that shit reeks of Lovecraft because it's all set into motion by a horrible discovery under the ice which begins spreading a queer, bloody madness through the townsfolk.
>>
>>48461862
The good one.
>>
>>48460973
I'd imagine for a couple of reasons:

>It's big and empty. There's really nothing out there, so finding anything "abnormal" only heightens its abnormality.
>It's relatively untouched by humans. Very little is known of the area aside from satellite mapping tech, but those maps rarely tell the whole story or notice "minor" hazards that will still kill you dead.
>It's dangerous and punishing. The extreme cold causes all sorts of problems that humans are not used to adapting to, and causes even hardy machinery to break down. If you run out of food, you get hurt, or your vehicle breaks down, you pretty much just die.
>It's icy. Ice is a preservative, so you can have all sorts of things trapped within it that are still in relatively good condition.
>You're both incredibly exposed and extremely well hidden at the same time. Animals that are adapted to the icy conditions can be virtually invisible, to the point of you literally stepping on them. This means that other threats may be as equally hidden.
>>
File: crevasse.webm (3MB, 634x342px) Image search: [Google]
crevasse.webm
3MB, 634x342px
It's really easy to die and never be found.
>>
File: thing 03.gif (2MB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
thing 03.gif
2MB, 500x214px
The 1938 novella is set in the Antarctic.

The 1951 film moves the action to the Arctic. The team departs from Anchorage towards a North pole base.

In the 1972 Horror Express it plays out on a train from Shanghai to Moscow.

Carpenter returns it to the Antarctic in 2011 and again in 1982.
>>
File: where the hell am I.gif (9KB, 92x118px) Image search: [Google]
where the hell am I.gif
9KB, 92x118px
>>48461955
>>
>>48461141
The ice. The arctic is a shifting landscape, constantly in motion. It is a world that re-invents itself every season.

The antarctic is a vast, high-elevation, static desert that we can imagine having looked the same for millions of years.

If you're doing either correctly, there should be a vast difference between the two. The ocean, wind and ice are your enemies in the Arctic. In the Antarctic it's the bleakness and the cold.
>>
>>48461141
Our education system, everyone!
>>
>>48461141
Antarctic is home to Elder Things and The Thing, Arctic is home to Wendigo. Two different kinds of horror you can go for.
>>
File: tumblr_oa0am5CWdL1qe6mn3o1_540.gif (2MB, 540x433px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oa0am5CWdL1qe6mn3o1_540.gif
2MB, 540x433px
Why do people put research stations in isolated regions?

Same reason people still go on trips to Antarctic, just from the opposite side.
>>
>>48461960
>Horror Express

my man
>>
>>48462025
And the Ocean, wind and ice. And shoggoths
>>
File: 135194455747.jpg (65KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
135194455747.jpg
65KB, 500x359px
Can die and never be found. Snow and ice cover things and can keep things hidden/imprisoned. Harsh environment and the fake people won't assume stuff. If you hear noises in the night you'd think "oh it's just the wind" Not some gribbly from beyond the veil
>>
File: 5ed cron.jpg (109KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
5ed cron.jpg
109KB, 500x400px
>>48464162
I'm guessing fake was suposed to be "it makes" but it's early.
>>
>>48460973
The isolation (it's about as far as you can be from rest of the humanity, with no settlements on the entire continent aside from a few research stations), the bleak surroundings, the extremely hazardous conditions, and the fact that we still no very little of what's actually in there under the ice (only recently through satellite imaging we have discovered that there's entire subglacial mountain ranges and a canyon that rivals the Grand Canyon in size, and then there's all those subglacial lakes that have been sealed from the world for thousands, if not millions, of years). It's a place where it's very easy to imagine something utterly alien and unknown to humans dwelling.
>>
>>48464160
shoggoths are creations of the elder things, which were in the antartic.
dumbass
>>
>>48461960
>in 2011 and again in 1982
Yog-sothoth is getting all up in here.
>>
>>48460973
Lovecraft's stories tended to be on the scientific and exploratory frontier at the time - which was the antarctic and the deep sea (which is where all the Dagon stuff comes in).

Nowadays the frontier is the moon and Mars and the outer planets which is why a lot more (relatively) modern horror and sci-fi-horror takes place there, like Alien.
>>
And if you die out there arn't found, your frozen corpse will preserve your last terrifying, pain wracked scream for millenia.
>>
File: eyece.jpg (215KB, 1300x813px) Image search: [Google]
eyece.jpg
215KB, 1300x813px
>>48461099
>you could sled to
With the right car, you could drive to, even

On the other hand, >>48461149 has a good point about things under the ice, though the antarctic has much thicker ice shelves over ocean as well as land - in the Arctic you're looking at maybe 3 meters of ice covering 4000 of water (recall the subs breaching the pole) where as the Antarctic can have hundreds of meters of ice, but with a fair bit less water underneath
>>
>>48464443
>With the right car, you could drive to, even
The right ute, specifically.
>>
>>48464458
>ute
No aussie, you stay in your own hemisphere and go to Antarctica.

Also, aren't utes generally not 4WD?
>>
>>48464563
>aren't utes generally not 4WD?
Nah, utes can be 4wd.
>>
>>48464563
We own most of the Antarctic

So it's Utes, Brah
>>
File: Mountains of Madness.webm (3MB, 994x560px) Image search: [Google]
Mountains of Madness.webm
3MB, 994x560px
>>
File: Piss Off.gif (659KB, 286x208px) Image search: [Google]
Piss Off.gif
659KB, 286x208px
>>48464614
Less than half, you've just got the biggest slice.
That's "the most of", not "most of", you convict.

Though people have driven to both poles, just the north pole was first (and it had already been flown and sailed to long before)
>>
I believe it is one nation.

Nobody should aim to split Poland into north Poles and south Poles.
>>
>>48461955
I'm assuming they managed to get the person (or at least the camera) out okay since we are watching the video now, but damn those last few seconds when he falls in completely were scary. Just imagine the ground suddenly opening up under your feet, you just manage to stop yourself falling in completely, but you can feel the snow crumbling around you; staring down into the abyss you are suddenly frozen with fear that the slightest movement will throw you from your precarious position, praying that your friends will notice and come back for you in time before the inevitable. And as the snow finally gives, you plummet down praying that the crevasse doesn't close up afterward leaving you trapped forever in the ice to be found hundred of years later when the pollution finally melts the ice caps...
>>
>>48464830
>That's "the most of", not "most of", you convict.
English: doesn't make any sense since 11th century
>>
File: Grammar Nazi.jpg (12KB, 180x215px) Image search: [Google]
Grammar Nazi.jpg
12KB, 180x215px
>>48466627
>>
>>48461926
Alaska.
>>
>>48460973
While I'm sure that vehicle in your pic was an actual thing, it strangely looks photo-shopped in, like it's not really supposed to be there at all. Mostly due to the front right tread appearing clearer than the rest of the vehicle itself, but now I just want to look into the various stuff they make just to explore the arctic with. Has to be very specialized gear to begin with.
>>
>>48466752
It's the snow and barren landscape, it makes anything man-made look out of place.
>>
>>48466627
Just because you didn't know a rule doesn't mean it didn't exist. Every language is retarded in a special way, like France with numbers, or Welsh with comprehensibility, or Welsh with letters, or Welsh with words
>>
>>48464614
Everyone knows that Antarctica is owned by the Nazi remnant forces with bases deep under the ice.
>>
File: fucking wales.png (464KB, 602x406px) Image search: [Google]
fucking wales.png
464KB, 602x406px
>>48466815
>Welsh with comprehensibility, or Welsh with letters, or Welsh with words
>>
>>48466921
Is....is that a bus stop? A sign for the next town? How are you supposed to read that while driving?
>>
>>48460973
I know a guy who went out on the ice for a few months in Antarctica as part of ANSMET. He said the most difficult thing to get used to was the sound of the ice moving underneath him. It crackles and groans 24/7 and can split apart at any moment.
>>
>>48466991
It's a platform at a small train station
>>
>>48466593
Yeah the full video is on youtube.

He was down there for a long time though.
>>
>>48464739
Because there's more to life.
>>
>>48461926
In fiction: Antarctic
Shooting Locations: Alaska and Alberta (Canada) logging sites during the winter.
>>
>>48461868
I'm late to the party, but I would recommend Fortitude to anyone wanting to play this style of game
>>
>>48466921
I don't understand. How is a human being supposed to pronounce that? Are the Welsh themselves Lovecraftian creatures?
>>
>>48466914
Pretty sure those settlements were only temporary.

they were staging areas for the exodus to the moon base. Lunar is the glorious 4th Reich. That's the real reason no nation is allowed to own land on the moon, It's already owned
>>
>>48467731
Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM
>>
It's not well explored.
It's incredibly hostile to human life already.
It's got a day/night cycle totally alien to most of humanity
'it's been frozen for aeons beneath half a mile of ice' is a really good and simple excuse for why an unstoppable horror from beyond with the ability to destroy the world hasn't already done so.
>>
>>48464213

Yog-Sothoth isn't that bad as Elder Gods go, I mean, he's not a bro or anything, but he just sort of IS without any sort of malevolent intent.

Getting mad at Yog is like getting mad at 2+2 for making 4. He's just a eldritch function. Nyarlo or Cthluhu though? Those guys are monsters.
>>
>>48467760
It's like someone hit the rewind button on him mid sentence as he's pronouncing that gibberish name of a town. I can't stop chuckling at it.
>>
>>48467760
>Right on the coast
>Strange alien name
Yep, there's no doubt about it, that is DEFINITELY a city founded by Cthulhu worshipers.
>>
>>48467731
>Are the Welsh themselves Lovecraftian creatures?

No, just their pseudo-country. It's why their suicide rate is the highest in all of Europe. It's also why at Euro 2016 you'd see all those Welsh fans crying whenever their team won, thankful that they could go for another week without having to return home.
>>
>>48466921
>>48466991
>>48467077
>>48467731
Reminder that every double-L isn;t pronounced like and L, but more like a cross betwen an L and a CH.
An English "ch" mind you, the Welsh "CH" is an entirely different letter.
>>
>>48467751
>Doesn't know about Beteigeuze
>>
>>48467844
At least they're not the English!
I'm still a wee bit salty the sheepshaggers put us out of the euros
>>
>>48469083

The football competition or the political/trading bloc?
>>
>>48464298

Actually, freezing to death tends to coincide with numbness and eventually apathy. You don't so much scream your last breath out in pain but more just go numb and lay down and die.
>>
>>48467805
Want to explain yog to me? Sounds neat.
>>
>>48469233

That assumes that freezing to death is what killed you and not the bored Migo youths.
>>
>>48460973
Isolation and the general hostility of the nature add up.
>>
>>48469256

It's kind of difficult without going insane. Basically, he's the key and the gate to magic processes that work in mathematically predictable ways.
He is also the guardian of the gate, which is, admittedly, where things get weird.

Essentially you use rituals involving him and essential salts of an individual to raise people from the dead.
Whether you make your historical ressurectees fight each other like pokemon because you're bored is up to you.

Just don't try and use him to summon up anything you can't control.
>>
File: yog_sothoth_by_chivohit-d5b8wrr.jpg (405KB, 900x1101px) Image search: [Google]
yog_sothoth_by_chivohit-d5b8wrr.jpg
405KB, 900x1101px
>>48469256
Lovecraft was always pretty vaque when it came to any cosmology, but Yog-Sothot is repeatedly mentioned to be "the key and the gate", and it is alos said that "past, present and future are one in Yog-Sothot" and that "he alone knows where the Great Old Ones walked Earth's fields and where they shall walk again". He's also very high up in the "divinity gradient" of the Mythos, being only two steps removed from Azatoth, the source of all things.

The common intrepertion of Yog-Sothot is that he is essentially the personification of space and time. Or more accurately, he IS space and time. Our universe, and all other possible universes, are part of Yog-Sothot, and he exists in every point in space and time because every point in space and time exists in him.
>>
>>48469145
The competition, though come to think of it the EU as well. Norn Iron voted majority stay, Wales and England, majority leave.
>>
>>48463912
>Why do people put research stations in isolated regions?

Because there's all sorts of interesting shit to research out there.
>>
>>48469577

I find it somewhat interesting that out of all UK countries, right down to the Orkneys and Gibraltar, ONLY Wales voted for the Brexit along with England.
>>
>>48469686

Based Wales
>>
>>48469326
>>48469459
I was expecting "lurk moar" thanks for elaborating that to an uninitiated
>>
>>48469686
Some experts say that was probably largely due to the Welsh feeling they've been repeatedly shat or or ignored byt the English goverment. So the one time you give them a chanse to change the status quo and give a middle finger to the goverment, of course they're going to do it. At least that way things might get better rather than remaining shitty forever.
>>
>>48469686
Well if you think about it, it's the only country that feasibly could have voted leave
Scotland has a pro-EU SNP majority
Northern Ireland had fears over the border
Gibralter had border fears to the max
Fucked if I know what's going on up in Orkney, some sort of Great Old One cult I'd wager
>>
>>48466991
>>48467731
The town is just called "Llanfair", meaning "Saint Mary's". Everything else is an addition. It means "Saint Mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool Llantysilio of the red cave"

It's a geographic description attached so the hamlet remains on the map as a tourist spot

source: a welsh guy who posted before about this and wikipedia
>>
>>48469326
>Just don't try and use him to summon up anything you can't control.
My Lovecraft is weak, but this sounds like an allusion to Charles Dexter Ward. Does he ever touch again on the subject of just who or what the doctor accidentally summons up?
>Mercy of Heaven, what is that shape behind the parting smoke?
>“That beard . . . those eyes. . . . God, who are you?”
>>
>>48464739
My favorite part is how the penguin stops and turns to look back when the narrator says "But why?"
>>
>>48461955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvjUUgJgxJ4
>>
>>48470215
How horrifying
>>
>>48469867
Orkney was just in with the rest of Scotland I think.

Those islands have been inhabited for a long-ass time, incidentally, there's a fair few ancient tombs and henges and shit - including one passage grave aligned to be illuminated on the winter solstice
>>
>>48471392
Well at least we now know exactly which tomb They shall arise from.

Now we just need to think of what to do about it.

I suggest getting and staying really drunk.
>>
File: sober.png (459KB, 519x483px) Image search: [Google]
sober.png
459KB, 519x483px
>>48471858
>>
>>48471392
Those sorts of tombs are all over the place in celtic countries, but the ones I've heard of are aligned with the summer solstice
This is... worrying to say the least
>>
>>48471858
>>48472119
Funny enough there's this indie Irish horror-comedy flick about a remote Irish island that's attacked by tentacle monsters
The twist: Alcohol makes them explode. Naturally the protagonists get the entire town drunk so the monsters ignore them.
They even kill the mama monster by dumping poitin in it's mouth
>>
>>48460973
>Why is the Arctic so well-suited for the telling of Lovecraftian tales?
Let's see
>isolated and far from civilization
>isolted from most common life
>cold, barren and hostile weather
>dark night most of the time
>uncharted and mailable terrain

All classic horror elements are in place.
>>
File: grabbers-260661837-large.jpg (70KB, 570x764px) Image search: [Google]
grabbers-260661837-large.jpg
70KB, 570x764px
>>48472233
Forgot pic
>>
>>48470215
For some dumb reason I'm reminded of Minecraft.
>>
>>48472233
>>48472259
kek

>>48472187
Newgrange in Ireland is very similar, having a winter solstice alignment.
They're both older than the Pyramids or Stonehenge.

At least at Maeshowe we don't have to worry about being the ones that disturbed something's slumber or anything, the Norse already did that in the 9th Century or so.
>>
>>48460973
Ahem, ANTarctic.
>>
>>48472119
Isn't this from some vaugely mythos comic? Dagon or whoever traps a super-titanic in a another dimension until its builder gives up his soul or something. I wish I could find it. It was badass.
>>
>>48470215
Did he break his leg or something as well when he fell? It's hard to tell.
>>
>>48460973
Fear of the unknown. Arctic, bottom of the sea, space... Lovecraft uses that a lot in his stories.
>>
>>48460973
Entropy, space, the ocean depths, and Antarctica are all associated with cold
>>
>>48475636
Nah. Ski's are attached to the legs by stiff boots. Any direction the ski's lay your whole leg will lay inlcuding kneecap since its locking your foot and ankle in line with your calf.
The way he fell means his skis are laying parallel to the ground tip pointing more towards the ground than the back. He has to twist his whole spine and waist to look up and since they're stuck in snow and can't move.
Tl;dr he's just at an akward angle and has to contort to scream upwards.
>>
>>48464739
>that glance back at the camera at the end
>>
>>48464739
Now I must know. Thanks anon no sleep tonight
>>
>>48460973

The same reason the ocean, deep jungle and desert work. It's all either unexplored terrain or terrain that has been visited but poorly charted. For a genre that thrives on the unknown it makes a lot of sense to use settings that nobody really knows particularly well.
>>
>>48477799
Go with him, anon. He has such sights to show you.
>>
>>48464739
>If Todd Howard was a penguin
>>
>>48461955
Jesus fuck, this made me clench up something fierce.
>>
>>48461141
Half the diameter of the earth in distance?
>>
>>48472233
I'm somehow reminded of "Signs" by M. Night Shyamalan.
The aliens in that were a fucking farce as well.
>>
>>48479036
Wait, my stupidity, the Earth's not a perfect sphere. A bit less than half the diameter.
>>
File: earth diameter.jpg (30KB, 334x351px)
earth diameter.jpg
30KB, 334x351px
>>48479074
Go to bed, your brain is asleep already.
>>
>>48479105
Oblate Spheriod, and you're not my dad!
>>
>>48478988
It's likely an evolutionary adaptation to prevent species die off in the event of another magnetic shift.
>>
>>48464739
What would happen if they gave him a lift to the mountain instead?
>>
>>48479338
Are you taking about the penguin?
>>
>>48479511
Penguins don't have magnets.
>>
>>48479565
Maybe that is what they want you to think.
>>
So, why did that penguin just fuck off into the mountains to die? What's this phenomena called?
>>
>>48479688
It's Herzog. He makes things up for dramatic effect, like any good producer.
>>
>>48479716
Wait, so is that a fictional documentary then? What's it called, I'm very intrigued to learn more about this penguin
>>
>>48479688
>>48479338

It's certainly not because it's secretly a shoggoth, or being called by ancient devices that have been operational longer than mankind has existed.
>>
>>48471392
I know that the old Bard's Tale video games are set in a fantasy version of them; also provided some inspiration for the Ultima games (and the Forgotten Realms, come to think of it; something in the 80s must have triggered fantasy geeks to have some interest in the isles. I'd say it worked out well.)
>>
>>48461141
Literally polar opposites.
>>
>>48479105
Earth is indeed not a perfect sphere. The spinning motion causes it to bulge out at the equator. The difference is too small to been seen with a naked eye, but is noticeable enough that the Marianas Trench, despite being the deepest place on Earth, is not actually the area of ocen floor closest to the center of Earth (that would be some spot in the Arctic or Antarctic ocean).
>>
>>48479950
Regardless there is no reason to halve the mean diameter, simply reduce it by a small amount.
>>
>>48479950
The difference between Arctic and Antarctic is still about the diameter of the earth, not half of that.
>>
>>48479105
>>48480026
Think they meant the circumference.
>>
>>48461141
lol
>>
>>48481313
Wait so they meant to imply C=2d?
>>
>>48469849
>Some experts say that was probably largely due to the Welsh feeling they've been repeatedly shat or or ignored byt the English goverment.

...compared to fucking Northern Ireland!? Or motherfucking Scotland!?
>>
>>48470010
>Does he ever touch again on the subject of just who or what the doctor accidentally summons up?

Nope. It's left intentionally vague.

Plus, you've got to realise that HP didn't actually want The Case of Charles Dexter Ward published, most likely because he felt it was too egotistically biographical, so he never returned to it or polished it all that much.
>>
>>48461677
Would read the living shit out of it if it was real and not just a cover
>>
Antarctic, that's for starters, you fucking cunt

Absolute and complete isolation.
No other humans around. At all.
No signs of life too.
Barely charted land back in the day (still is).
Environment alone will fucking kill you.
Night half of the year.
There is completely unknown continent beneth the ice.
And it wasn't always covered in ice, so there might be SOMETHING down there.
>>
>>48479716
>Makes things up
>Well-documented phenomena for past 50 years
>>
>>48481928
Another question on CDW, what was the difference between the guardians and their charges? I don't recall it ever explicitly stating what's what between the two, though the head-eating part of the guardians makes them sound like smaller shoggoths.
>>
>>48464739
>Tekeli-li
>Tekeli-li
>>
>>48481948
>There is completely unknown continent beneth the ice.
>And it wasn't always covered in ice, so there might be SOMETHING down there.
Basically this. Most popular ones of Lovecraft's stories are based on the fact that during his time prehistoric times were much more unknown and he invented prehistory with powerful scary aliens that are beyond understanding of mankind. Since Lovecraft was into science and wanted to make his stories believable he chose places that were genuinely unknown in his time like deserts, ocean floors and Antarctic.

However, Antarctic has well survived test of time unlike say deserts of Australia. It is still pretty unknown to us what lies under the ice, so there could be some Old Ones for real. I believe this is one of the reasons (other being of course that it is one of most well written Lovecraft stories) why Mountains of Madness is still so popular.
>>
>>48462025
>In the Antarctic it's the bleakness and the cold.
The wind and ice will fuck your shit in Antarctica too.
Its in general a large relatively smooth dome, katabatic winds can be more than 300kph near the coast.
>>
>>48466593
My dads in Antarctica at the moment and they recently lost one of their pilots that way, a crevice had formed in the heli landing zone and he fell in one he landed across. Those things can be damn near invisible even without snow cover.
>>
File: HPL-Smiling!.jpg (22KB, 250x296px)
HPL-Smiling!.jpg
22KB, 250x296px
>>48467731
>to note that "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" was not inspired by fears of miscegenation, but by Lovecraft's own discovery that his great-grandmother was... Welsh.
>>
>>48469233
Theres also the paradoxical undressing thing.
>>
>>48463912
>Why do people put research stations in isolated regions?

In case science goes to far.
>>
>>48482492
Thats what guns are for silly! Or flamethrowers. Or on sight nukes.
>>
>>48482541
Onsite * fuck you to autocorrect.
>>
>>48479688
It was actually the Thing and was worried the jig was up
>>
>>48482458
Suicide actually seems like a reasonable option upon finding out you have such alien blood running through your veins.
>>
>>48482583
Nah, "on sight nukes" seems pretty apt for the situation.

>>48479688
Being possessed by the Great Race of Yith.
>>
>>48481907
Northern Ireland has the whole border thing, which makes separating from EU a logistical nightmare, and Scotland is quite pro-EU (infact, they're planning on doing another vote there to separate themselves from Great Britain and remain in EU).
>>
>Global warming is a plot to awaken the Old Cthulhu from his slumber
>when the Ice melts enough he will awaken
>Those lobbying against global warming have learnt the truth and are desperately trying to backpedal
>>
>>48483143
>possessed by the Great Race of Yith
Yithians are far superior to humans, technologically, spiritually, and ethically. Humans have kill shelters for discarded pets. The Great Race keeps their no longer wanted pets in wild animals all over history.
>>
File: 1456934917279.webm (258KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456934917279.webm
258KB, 1280x720px
>>48461149
Allow me to illustrate your point.
>>
File: Jesus Christ.jpg (721KB, 807x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus Christ.jpg
721KB, 807x1000px
>>48470215
>>
>>48464739
Based Herzog's voice coming straight through even without audio
>>
>>48461955

They know where you are, it's just not economically viable to recover your corpse. If your family fills out the required forms in triplicate, maybe someone can spare the man hours to recover your body before your own children grow old.

The real monster in the cold wastes, is maaaaaaan
>>
>>48466752
Snow has a way of turbo-fucking your visual perception, especially in bright light.

It's one of the lesser known dangers as in civilization, you often see other shit to break up the terrain (plants, buildings, etc) but when you just get a white sheet to the horizon, everything on it looks out of place
>>
>>48481907
Mate I'm from norn iron, and I want less devolution. Like Parliament may be full of pricks but at least it isn't as full of pricks as our local assembly.
Basically I think we should nuke Stormont from orbit while it's in session then re-institute direct rule
Also Sinn Fein don't take their seats in Parliament, so it's even better
>>
File: 1462193642578.jpg (147KB, 668x691px) Image search: [Google]
1462193642578.jpg
147KB, 668x691px
>>48483506
>They know where you are
Yeah, via magic probably

At best, they have your planned path in case of travelling expedition.
>>
>>48484155
Different anon but they can map your planned travel path and use satellites that routinely fly overhead to check the area out now. Beliefe it or not those crevasses show up scarily well when its pitch black holes in a pure white background right down to about 1/2 a foot wide.
Even if you're off by several miles they'll still know where you are. The main issue is he's right.
They:
A. Can't risk another person/s life just to attempt to save yours
B. They presume your dead since those holes tend to be 30-50 feet deep usually with a nice rock bottom to it
C. Won't risk highly expensive and highly expensive to replace and ship machinery just to attempt to rescue you

It's just not worth it. Hell in alaska the locals do the same shit and so so guides when you fell down shit like that though they do a scream test. If you don't scream back or they can't hear you they presume the fall just killed you and leave since the whole area is now possibly unstable.
>>
>>48484326
I'm not questioning the probability of dying. I'm questioning ability to pin-point your location upon death.
Because, you see, using satellites for tracking is even more expensive than sending other poeple on your track, a thing already prohibitely expensive. RL is not spy movie.
>>
>>48479147
>>48479074
>oblate spheroid

God that pisses me off when people say that.

the difference is 42km less...
on a diameter of 12,756 km.

0.3292% difference.

If the earth was a sphere 1m in diameter, the difference would be just 0.3mm
(and mount everest would be less than 0.1mm - thinner than a sheet of paper.)

the difference is so marginal, its almost negligible.
>>
>>48485250
It's not that expensive for the artic and antartic is what i'm saying. It's standard procedure they do sweeps for research purposes and we have coverage of both entirely. Anything off gets picked up including random holes. They even send that info back to all bases so they know to avoid it. They'd recognize the new hole and that its on the same path little timmy took and that timmy didn't make it back or to his destination.
>>
>>48485338
I bet you think pluto is a planet.
>>
>>48460973

Because the isolation of a man amid that lifeless, frozen expanse is reflective of humanity's isolation amid the equally uncaring and hostile void of space.
>>
>>48474900
'Leviathan,' written by Ian Edginton with art by D'Israeli, it was a 2000AD story.
>>
>>48486148
Not the original anon, but why the hell you keep talking about holes? There are worse things to kill you in the arctic, like the arctic itself. Or getting lost. Or loosing your food supply. Or heater, which will either kill you by dehydration or hypothermia - or both. And so on and forth.
Random holes in the ice are your last concern
>>
>>48486448
Because those holes often times are made by icemelt water that carves shit grand canyon style and you might survive the fall.
Now you get to sit in a natural labyrinth underground all alone. You won't even freeze down there its warm enough most times unless you sit at the mouth of the hole where no one will come for you. They also widen the deeper you get so you can't even attempt to climb out due to the walls slanting inwards.
You either make all the correct survival choices to slowly starve to death in the dark like some gollum monster or you actively commit suicide by sitting directly below the hole to freeze.
It just sounds like a nightmare.
>>
>>48484028

>Mate I'm from norn iron
>Norn Iron

That may be the best autocorrect error I've ever seen, and I will definitiely be referring to Northern Ireland as that from now on.
>>
>>48486884
>ireland confirmed rulers of the fate of all man and gods
>>
>>48486929

Thats the sort of thing you hear and go "Yeah, I can buy that."
>>
>>48467760
Dude had to have made like $20 from someone betting he couldn't say that live.
>>
File: fucking faggot.jpg (69KB, 498x482px) Image search: [Google]
fucking faggot.jpg
69KB, 498x482px
>>48461702
>>48461141
>>
>>48486884
>>48486929
it was intentional. It's legit how it's pronounced in rural parts

To get back to the topic of the thread , when I was wee my mate and I used to walk up the hills behind my house and down the other side.
Eventually put you on a dirt track that went on for ages surrounded on all sides by blasted heath that seemed to go on forever. Even as you crested the hill it sort of looked like the world just ended right there, and if you went up to it you'd be staring into an endless abyss.
Always struck me as the sort of place one would commune with Outer Spheres
>>
>>48486524
You remove your clothes completely and lay in the water if there is any. You are numb within firsr 30 seconds.
Two minutes later you are dead, while not even being aware of your surroundings after first one.

Can't remove your clothes? Maimed and badly broken? Still the same thing will happen, just over longer period. By "longer" it means up to 20 minutes, so adrenaline will keep you numb for most of the part, then hypothermia will just filish you off.

The worst death is being STUCK somewhere. Because you are in no means to finish yourself nor being killed by the elements (unless it will suddenly get flooded, which can happen in glaciers). You will just sit/lay/hang for next few days. THAT"S what nightmare is.
>>
>>48469459
So who are the folks one step removed from the Sultan?
>>
>>48487119
Could always take out any mildly sharp object and insert it directly into neck or through eye socket.
>>
>>48487160
... and what if you can't, exactly because you are stuck? It's not hard to imagine such situation, where you crawl, your hands in front of you, your gear behind you and all you have is your hands.
At best, you can try to bite your own tongue off to start massive hemorrhage, but chances are - you will just inflict yourself a lot of pain and survive the whole thing. While getting guaranteed infection, making your situation even fucking worse.
>>
>>48487192
Wriggle to get out?maybe shunt up?
Bash head against wall until dead?
>>
>>48487192
Snap your own neck, dawg. Don't be a bitch.
>>
>>48487236
>Wiggle
I'm not sure you understand the concept of being stuck.
Ever seen "Descent"? There is a really, really great scene about getting stuck in it, pretty much the most tense moment of entire film and that's in the middle of it. Even the joke about lemons don't make it any less tense. Or any less helpless.

Basically, if you get stuck and you are on your own, you are pretty much dead.
>>
>>48487287
And by dead I mean long, painful, miserable death all alone for next... if you are really unlucky up to 5 days.
>>
File: genealogy of the elder gods.jpg (62KB, 564x691px) Image search: [Google]
genealogy of the elder gods.jpg
62KB, 564x691px
>>48487136
Nyarlathotep, since he's a literal manifestation of Azatoth's soul.

This chart Lovecraft made (which while not entirely serious, it showing him and his friend Clark Ashton Smith descending from Cthulhu and Tsathoggua, is the only source of the relations of the major powers in the mythos cosmology by the man himself, and is consistent with some other stuff he's written or mentioned on the matter) shows something called "The Nameless Mist" and "Darkness" as between Yog-Sothot/Shub-Niggurath and Azatoth. Nothing's really known about that, but I don't think they're beings in the same sense as Yog, Shub, or Nyarlathotep, but rather the first stuff that Azatoth dreamed into existence (aside from Nyarlathotep), the equivalent of the Primordial Kaos of the Greek myth.
>>
>>48487422
Of course he was Welsh.
>>
>>48460973
Isolated, strange, unknown
>>
>>48487440
I vaguely remember something to the effect that this shook him when he found it out, as he previously thought he was a pure anglo

I know, I know
>anglos
>pure
>>
>>48487422
Get out of here, Derleth.
The Mythos is not a canon.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 280x180px
>>48487265
>>
>>48486884
That wasn't an error; it's how we pronounce it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lFZjFYpL60
>>
File: Terror_simmons.jpg (35KB, 320x500px) Image search: [Google]
Terror_simmons.jpg
35KB, 320x500px
>>48460973
Shit's fucking cold, yo.
>>
File: 06064.jpg (18KB, 220x288px)
06064.jpg
18KB, 220x288px
The 'Expedition' short story introducing this book.
>>
>>48487287
Well theres stuck and then theres stuck, especially if it is in the arctic, it may be possible to melt or abrade the ice. If not then Back to bashing head against wall then...
Being stuck underground is probably the most horrifying thing, compressed into that tiny rock hole you crawled into....
>>
File: erica-lahaie-daily46.jpg (88KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
erica-lahaie-daily46.jpg
88KB, 1200x675px
Because you're in a cramped space with the same people sometimes for over half a year if the weathers bad. Cabin Fever's some scary shit.
>>
>>48494392
>>
>>48482410
Can confirm. I did a stint in the Ross sea and the winds were insane, and could spring up out of nowhere. Plus if there was ice in the air it was like standing in front of a sandblaster
>>
>penguins have lost the ability to taste fish
>they are also incapable of grasping threats on land--any negative interaction with them will have no effect on their behavior after a few minutes. Land is safety to a penguin, they aren't primed to grasp such alien ideas as ground danger. On the other hand they will congregate next to the ocean for quite some time before one of them falls in by accident and everyone then jumps in for those yummy fish they can't taste
Fucking penguins
>>
File: ps-4.png (229KB, 580x313px) Image search: [Google]
ps-4.png
229KB, 580x313px
>>48495031
Penguins are scary.
>>
When pissing in high antarctic winds, it is not wise to stand with your back completely to the wind, it will create an eddy to your front that will splash urine all over yourself.
>>
>>48460973
Because like your romantic life, it's bleak, barren and frozen.
>>
>>48497321
Why you gotta be so cold, man?
>>
>>48489025
That has to be the most claustrophobia and at the same time the most agoraphobia triggering workplace there is.
>>
>>48500936
I dunno. I got both of those and i'd love it. Maybe if there weren't windows and the top closed entirely or something. It might help that i find ambient enviroments like that devoid of noise and people quite comforting.
Thread posts: 203
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.