[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Too Many Spiders Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 376
Thread images: 33

File: 1435564686474.jpg (256KB, 764x720px) Image search: [Google]
1435564686474.jpg
256KB, 764x720px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old thread
>>48420913

How many spiders have you faced at once? Especially of the giant variety.
>>
this might be a stupid question, but is there any cool editable character sheet that you can write in your information like with a form and then print it out.

The one's I've found so far are pretty shit
>>
>>48437089
>How many spiders have you faced at once? Especially of the giant variety.

We went through Not Mirkwood once in Faerun.
It got pretty bad. Two of us had insect and general big phobias. The Wizard probably burned half of the fucking forest down with his fireballs and burning hands and rays of fire.
>>
Alright /5eg/, give me your cheesiest builds.

>Lightfoot Halfling
>Divination Wizard 2/Wild Magic Sorcerer 18
>Lucky feat
>Heightened, Twin, Subtle/Careful/Empowered (depending on your spells), Quickened Spell

Portent, Heighten Spell, Bend Luck, Tides of Chaos, and 3 Luck Points. Full caster with con. proficiency and ritual casting. Probably won't be doing the most damage, but god will you get on the DM's nerves.
>>
>>48437326
That's not cheese, that's a thematicaly fun character.
>>
>>48437326
>and ritual casting
of level 1 wizard spells, yes
>>
>>48437326
>Probably won't be doing the most damage
Why not?
Wild Sorcerers can cast Fireball and Lightning Bolt like anybody else can.
>>
Is there any content from 4e that you'd like to see officially converted? Conversely, is there anything from 4e you wish hadn't been carried over?
>>
>>48437580
>inb4 warlord whinging
>>
>>48437089
Somewhere between 4 and 8 all at once. I've also fought a drider that owned two giant spider pets before. The underdark is littered with giant spiders and the like.
>>
>>48437580
Officially converted:
Everything fighters, paladins, warlords, rangers and rogues could do.

Especially the rangers, but I want the brutal rogue back. So badly.

>Things I wish that hadn't been carried over
At will, encounter, and daily distinctions.

You either can or you can't. Limiting resources shortens the adventuring day.
>>
>>48437580
I guess it's not really from 4e exclusively but I'm not convinced psionic classes are a good fit for 5e, or D&D in general actually. It just feels pretty unnecessary to me. Just feels like a +1 to "regular" magic.
>>
>>48437199

Bump
>>
>>48437633
Only the dailies do that, encounters are fine, no?
>>
>>48437633
>>Things I wish that hadn't been carried over
>At will, encounter, and daily distinctions.

You realize that except encounters these are all classic concepts, right? 3rd edition and earlier spells were all dailies that you got to choose, essentially. And weapon attacks are basically at-wills.
>>
>Made sure the whole party was on board with our session times
>First session comes
>3 out of the 5 change their minds an hour away from the game
Kill me.
>>
>>48437773
Yes, spells were always a daily thing. Vancian magic has been a sacred cow in D&D since the dawn of time. It shouldn't be.
>>
>>48437795
No arguments here, really. I'm just making the point that it's not 4e's fault. The only thing 4e introduced was encounter powers, and like >>48437770 said, they're not a bad thing.
>>
>>48437841
Technically, 3.5 had warlocks and skill tricks which were per-encounter IIRC.

To say nothing about initiators.
>>
>>48437199
What I do for stuff like that is take a copy of a blank character sheet from the wizards website, make a duplicate and write on the duplicate using Adobe reader. Then I save it to edit and reprint in the future as I level.
>>
>>48437783
Your players aren't taking you seriously. Don't invite them if it bothers you, or roll with it if you don't care.

It mostly depend on if they respect you or not. Sometimes people fuck up their schedule and realize they can't actually come, it happens. But if they just suddenly found something better to do, you shouldn't be OK with it.

Don't whine, don't be bitter outside of it. Just don't reinvite them. If they ask, simply explain.
They woulda been terrible, terrible players anyway, probably.

Nothing worst than being a DM and having players that don't understand or respect the work you put in.
Nobody needs people like that in their life.
>>
>>48437884

Thanks. I don't think I know how to do any of that, but I'm going to try and find out
>>
>>48437889
You're right.

During the weeks leading up to the game, they were excited at first, learning the system and making their characters, asking me questions about my setting, asking me to check if their characters were acceptable for the setting.

Then, around a week ago, I had to start reminding them to make sure their character sheets are complete on roll20, to make sure their attacks are set up properly, everything.

Then they just turn around and go, "You didn't tell me the game was so late!"

Motherfuckers, yes I did. I asked all of you if the time was okay and you all agreed. I put the time on our roll20 page. I put it in the text emails I sent you.

Fuck, I just want real world friends to play with.
>>
>>48437944
It's mostly as simple as downloading a blank printable copy of the character sheet, opening it in adobe reader, and toying around to figure out how the program works. I only learned how to do it last thursday myself. It's not too hard.
>>
>>48437199
Isn't there one in the mega?
>>
>>48437970
That's going to happen when you play with strangers online. Just keep at it and you'll end up with a reliable group sooner or later.
Also, remember to request proper applications to weed out the retards.
>>
>>48437795
Don't you otherwise get the problem of one healing spell keeping the whole party at full whenever there's a break in combat?

You kind of already get that with the Cleric casting Guidance for every skill check
>>
>>48438171
Well the problem is they're friends I've played video games with for years, guess thinking they could commit to this was a bad idea.

C'est la vie, maybe I can convince some friends on campus to start a game once I go back to class.
>>
>>48438192
Have you never heard of the ol' clickystick? Spamming Wand of Cure Light Wounds between combats is exactly what the answer has always been.
>>
>>48437326
Paladin oath of devotion 20.
>>
>>48438236
>spamming Cure Light Wounds with a wand
>only ever 3.5e
>always
>>
is there a class that uses guns? i am going to make a real world vs dnd world campaign
>>
>>48438159

not particularly editable, no.
>>
>>48438334
The official character sheet that WotC put out is form-fillable.

It has some limits and quirks but it is editable.
>>
>>48438322
Any class with martial weapon proficiency can wield guns no problem. Check out Firearms in the DMG.
>>
>>48438322
>>48438366
None of the classes have firearms proficiency to begin with, because firearms are an optional set of equipment for the DM to implement at their discretion. see the DMG

Also it would be fundamentally against the design philosophy to create a class or archetype based solely on "It shoots people, but better." A battlemaster fighter with a gun will almost assuredly perform whatever insipid function a "gunslinger" class could without needing the baggage that that term carries.
>>
>>48438409
mmm i was thinking in just using Thief, Fighter,Barbarian and Ranger and give them guns and shit like that
>>
>>48437783
Run a campaign with two players and yourself. Good times. Focus the story on them and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>48438483
Good man, anon. You're doing the right thing.
>>
>>48438409
Someone only glanced at the DMG. It takes like 4 intelligence check successes to learn to use a gun.
>>
>>48438409
is there a list with modern equipment? i feel the one in the dm guide is just lacking
>>
>>48438557
>filename related
The Alien Technology checks are to figure out how to use it, not to gain proficiency.
For example, IRLI know that pulling the trigger of a loaded, cocked gun with the safety off will make it fire, that doesn't mean I am any good at actually proficient in firing them.
>>
>>48438675
Guns would never have taken off if they were difficult to use.
>>
File: DMG pg 267.jpg (28KB, 406x168px) Image search: [Google]
DMG pg 267.jpg
28KB, 406x168px
>>48438675
>Shamefully forgot pic
I fucked up.
>>
>>48437889
t. Garabogazköl
>>
/5eg/ - Ripping out 5e's magic casting system edition

No spell slots.

All casters can use their known spells at will, with each spell's level denoting the number of rounds that must pass after the spell is cast before they can cast the same spell again. Material components are still required.
>>
>>48437089
11 i believe.
>>
>>48438953
What about stuff like ki points and maneuver dice?
>>
What's the best cleric domain for backline casting? I was thinking either Light or Arcana, but I might be overlooking something or just dumb.
>>
>>48438953
>before they can cast the same spell again
>same spell
So alternating fireball and lightning bolt until every enemy on the battlefield is reduce to smoldering piles of ozone-smelling embers at 5th level is nbd. Got it.
>>
>>48438953
Fireball->Lightning Bolt->Sleet Storm->Fireball->...

No, that's way overpowered.

>>48439044
This anon gets it.
>>
>>48438686
Also keep in mind that we have yet to establish what sort of firearm it is.

If we're talking modern-day guns and rifles with "point at pull" triggers, modern reloading technology (clips, auto-loading magazines, etc.) then almost anyone can learn how to fire it easily.

If we're talking about flintlocks and muskets, then there's going to be a larger learning curve. Knowing how to repair/maintain the weapon, knowing how much powder and gunwad to put in, properly packing in the powder and gunwad, loading the bullet properly, and THEN being able to fire it once the flintlock is pulled back. That requires more training to fire, along with training to reload it quickly.

Even stuff like a blunderbuss will require a bit of training, if more-so than to know how much powder to use and not have it blow up in your hands when you pull the trigger.

Not to mention not many people in generic fantasy realms know about blackpowder or how to make it. Hell, the Chinese were the first to discover blackpowder and only had weaponized it to deliver just a large explosion like a cannonball, only they had next to no metal so it was just bamboo and stuff, when the rest of their metal was used to making spears, arrowheads, and swords.

It wasn't until Europeans were able to steal/borrow/buy the blackpowder technology from China and bring it back to them to where they could start to fool around with it more, thanks to their much more abundant supply of iron ore.
>>
>>48439044
Maybe the cooldown should be expanded to say "all spells of that level"
>>
>>48439029
Arcana.
>>
>>48439085
Just maybe.
>>
>>48438953
So what you're saying is Fuck Warlocks, yeah?
>>
>>48439085
So now I'm alternating between fireball and scorching ray if I'm 5th or fireball and ice storm if I'm 7th level. Ite.
>>
>>48439085
then you're still cycling fireball, agnazzar's scorcher, flaming hands, fireball, agnazzar....... etc etc, which is just letting you fireball every combat for the rest of your life. then add vitrolic sphere, cone of cold when you get it, etc etc.

or to put it another way, your system lets you just cast wish every single encounter for the rest of your life.
>>
>>48439156
Yeah, but you can only cast them once in the average combat anyway (10 rounds).
>>
>>48439168
me again

maybe it would be better if it TOOK that many rounds to cast. but that would need work too like with reaction spells.
>>
>>48439174
>implying 5e combats are designed around highest level spell slots being blown on *EVERY* encounter
>>
>>48439206
>implying that's not what the "adventuring day" cynically represents
>>
>>48439192
That is such an awful idea.
>>
>>48438953

I hope for your sake that you're a DW troll and not actually this fucking stupid.
>>
>>48439223
>except it doesn't, since 5e rolls many many encounters per day as the running assumption, in which it is impossible for someone to blow all their highest level slots on each encounter (except perhaps warlocks)
>>
>>48439241
*shrugs* works for Anima
>>
>>48437665
track down the 2nd edition psionics and give that a read.
>>
>>48439241
meh
>>
File: 1465572010211.jpg (45KB, 368x411px) Image search: [Google]
1465572010211.jpg
45KB, 368x411px
>mapping out Death House for CoS
>finishing up the attic
>"oh this is easy, man why did I think making maps would take so long"
>start mapping the basement
>>
>>48439085

And you're still fucking stupid.
>>
>>48439272
>>48439287
You turn sorcerers from worst tier full casters into over-lord God-of-all-casters by comparison.
And taking 6 rounds to cast one fucking spell is *HORRIBLY* boring and not good at all.
>>
>>48439272

Anima sizes its spells for those rules to start with. 5e spells are sized for 5e mechanics.
>>
File: quality post2.jpg (56KB, 436x428px) Image search: [Google]
quality post2.jpg
56KB, 436x428px
>>48439303
The average D&D player, everybody.
>>
>>48438675
Proficiency with this one individual weapon and proficiency with all firearms is different. Alien technology lets you use that single gun, proficiency lets you use all of them.
>>
>>48439273
2nd edition psionics were interesting but frankly an unworkable mess where any "spell" you cast had a pretty high chance of failure.
>>
>>48439311
i think his idea was shit i was just riffing off of it for something he could think about
>>
>>48439311
Actually, scratch that. Quickened no longer *eve fucking works* for any non-cantrip (kik) non-1st-level spell.
>>
>>48439296
What do you mean "mapping out" the digital maps are in the mega. I made all the maps for roll20 in an hour with tokens for enemies in the GM layer.
>>
>>48439329
>remember my image this time
>filename related
>>
>>48439361
It doesn't feel right doing it that way. I don't want it to feel too much like I'm throwing a pre-packaged adventure at my group even if that is basically what I'm doing.

And if we end up playing more in the future with campaigns that don't have fancy maps, I don't want them to suddenly go from super high quality professional art to whatever I can put together with a program.

I can customize things more this way too.
>>
I want to play the ultimate "tricky bastard" character who is entirely or at least 99% nonmagical.

So far my thoughts are:
>rogue (assassin)
>fighter (battle master)
>monk (way of the open hand)

I'm leaning toward open hand monk. I really wish there were even one monk weapon with reach, so I could fluff it as a ji and take Sentinel and Polearm Master, tripping people onto caltrops from ten feet away or pushing them back fifteen feet off cliffs or into fires.

Any ideas for me?
>>
>>48439446
You *WILL* wear yourself out doing that.
Theater of mind in conjunction with basic lines and sketches will save your sanity and it's just as fun.
>>
>>48439446
Well at least use that deviant art castle Ravenloft or you will literally kill yourself making that map.
>>
>>48439478
the ultimate tricky bastard is a thief rogue imo
>>
>>48439478
Thief rogue is the trickiest of bastards. Quick motherfuckin' hands.
>>
>>48439478
Thief rogue. Caltrops. Ball bearings. Etc.
>>
>>48439512
>>48439506
>buy bags upon bags of ball bearings and caltrops
>take Mobile feat
>rush in, stab, throw caltrops down while moving away
>repeat until entire floor is filled with fucking caltrops and ball bearings
>>
>>48439540
Caltrops are way better than ball bearings. If an enemy fails a single dex save against caltrops they're fucking done.
>>
>>48439506
Can you give me some examples of how that works?
>>48439512
What kinds of shenanigans can you pull with quick hands?
>>48439540
I don't think the rest of the party would appreciate that much.
>>
File: moar_guns.png (153KB, 699x407px) Image search: [Google]
moar_guns.png
153KB, 699x407px
>>48438604
What did you want? More guns? Have some more guns.
>>
>>48439571
just... when you say tricky bastard it makes me think of a rogue.
>can do anything tricky faster than anyone
>good skills
>can jump really far
>sneakier than anyone else
>later on can trick magic items into working for him
>gets two turns at the start of encounters
>>
>>48439571
You can use the healer feat as a bonus action. You can pour oil on someone and safely light it in the same round. You can use a *FUCKIN MAGIC WAND* as a *BONUS ACTION*.
And as a thief rogue, you can wield the Holy Avenger. Oh yes.
>>
>>48439571
>I don't think the rest of the party would appreciate that much.

You want the party to think you're a selfish ass? Try Grassland Druid, Plant Growth to fuck anyone trying to move around, Haste on yourself and move about unhindered due to Land's Stride.
My current character is a Wood Elf Druid who does the above, and also has the Mobile feat.
>90 ft. speed
>everyone else spends 20 ft. movement for 5 ft.
>zip around the battlefield smacking fools with your Shillelagh'd quarterstaff

Although for general tricky bastardiness, definitely go Thief Rogue.
>>
>>48439424
Being able to use one item is not proficiency, proficiency is being able to use all similar items. Just saying "you can add your proficiency to attacks with this one gun."
>>
>>48439621
>You can use a *FUCKIN MAGIC WAND* as a *BONUS ACTION*.
You actually can't--Fast Hands doesn't cover magic items, explicitly in the Magic Items rules in the DMG.
>>
>>48439566
Are there rules for how long it takes to gather the caltrops when the battle is over?
>>
>>48439672
Gay. Whatever - lob alchemist's fire and acid at people then.
>>
>>48439697
Not really. I'd say you could spend a few hours gathering them, but it'd take forever.
>>
>>48439697
Nope.
>>
>>48439720
>bag of 20 caltrops
>taking a few hours to collect
Couple minutes max per bag dude.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28KB, 1280x720px
>>48438937
what
>>
File: 1421344748050.jpg (145KB, 850x1354px) Image search: [Google]
1421344748050.jpg
145KB, 850x1354px
>>48439762
>>
>>48439757
Brain no work. Oxycontin.

For some reason, my brain went, "Cantrops = Ball Bearings". You would be correct. Probably 1d4 minutes.
>>
I want to give the Barbarian a special ring that will enhance his rages at the cost of his sanity every time he uses it

Any ideas on how to stat it?
>>
>>48439809
How do you want to "enhance his rages"? Doesn't need more damage or more resistances.
>>
>>48439822
Well, his character is a guy who lives only for battle. He'd like to use his rages more often, so I was thinking a ring that lets him use an extra per day or something might work.
>>
how much damage should a nuclear bomb should do?

also can guns damage tarrasque?
>>
>>48439869
jesus fucking christ
>>
>>48439850
Let it function as though it were the Berserker's frenzy feature, but replace the level of exhaustion with a long term madness effect. (DMG p259)

>>48439869
In my 5e modern games I have tactical nukes function as a plot device, but if you must have damage numbers, let it function as a 9th level spell slot Disintegrate on everything in the blast radius.

Only magical guns. Tarrasque is immune to nonmagical weapon damage.
>>
>>48439869
20D10 fire + 20D10 force, everyone in range of the blast is inflicted with the poisoned status condition and takes 4D10 poison damage per round. Only greater restoration, heal, mass heal, or wish can remove this condition.
>>
>>48439809
Actually, an idea.

Ring of Punishment
Ring, uncommon (requires attunement by a barbarian)
When a barbarian is attuned to this ring, and enters a rage, the ring will deal 1d10 psychic damage if you do not take damage or deal damage on your turn. Being dealt this damage allows you to maintain your rage for that turn that you do not attack or take damage.

This effect occurs once per day. If it occurs further times,you make a DC10 Wisdom saving throw. On a failure, you gain a Short Term Madness for the listed duration (DMG, pg. 259), and the ring regains the ability to maintain your rage by dealing psychic damage to you. If you succeed, the ring cannot maintain your rage until the next dawn.

If you gain a number of Short Term Madness effects during a single day equal to your Proficiency bonus, it instead imposes a Long Term Madness from that point forward while you remain attuned to the ring. If, after this point, you gain a number of Long Term Madness effects equal to your Proficiency bonus, you instead gain a single Indefinite Madness effect, and regain use of the Ring's ability to maintain your rage when you act on this Indefinite Madness flaw.
>>
How do you guys recommend dealing with a player who is INSANELY GOOD with Charisma based characters?

He stacks things like the Actor feat, plays a Warlock uses Awakened Mind, uses the disguise ability etc.

It's getting pretty outrageous and while I don't have a particularly negative outlook on this a couple of my players expressed they were getting bored with him simply talking his way out of everything every single time.
>>
>>48440005
Perfect, thanks anon.
>>
>>48440034
Talking to him about it like a responsible adult.
>>
>>48440034
use things that can't be persuaded:
Undead, abominations, beasts, etc.

Doesn't matter how suave you are when a gibbering mouther is chewing on your ass.
>>
>>48440034
We're going to need a whole lot more info.

Like, for instance: how are you actually letting him talk his way out of everything every single time?
>>
>>48440034
>him simply talking his way out of everything every single time.

so put them in situations where he can't?

can't talk your way out of getting mauled by three owlbears, or getting swarmed by undead or something.

you are the dm. If he talks his way out of something, it's because you let him

>>48440049
with that sort of player talking to them will probably do nothing but make him frustrated. just make more varied encounters.
>>
>>48439327

Yep. Which is why I'm smart enough to realize why letting a lvl9 spell go off every 45 seconds is a bad idea.

"The average D&D players" are jogging in place waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
>>
>>48440049
It isn't THAT bad I'm mostly just looking for some advice on how to thwart his game a little bit, not in a malicious way but he enjoys challenge and he just seems to constantly get away with things.

>>48440067
That's a good point. His go-to thing is use Awakened Mind/good persuasion/deception checks to convince an individual he is something beyond what he actually is.

>>48440109
I wasn't clear, sorry. I more so meant how can I find a way to challenge his charisma based skills in a fair and interesting way. He is my "I'd rather RP something than do the combat" player and I always try to find balance for everyone. I just haven't been able to really come up with something that stumps him.
>>
>>48437773
Actually they were incorporating per-encounter things into 3.5 near the end. I wanna say the warlock had some?
>>
Can anyone recommend any books or websites with good puzzles/riddles?
>>
>>48440297
https://www.riddlesareforpretentioustwatsyoufu.ck
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 720x720px
>>48440387
>>
Someone linked a site that builds dungeons for you a while back and I can't find it.

Anyone got something like that?
>>
>>48440535
http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random
>>
>>48440535
>https://donjon.bin.sh/
>>
File: 1462571681173.jpg (226KB, 847x847px) Image search: [Google]
1462571681173.jpg
226KB, 847x847px
>>48437089

Our dwarven team of adventurers once got ambushed by I think "15 driders"

We just ran. Holed up in a cave, then cut them down as the filed in. Once the breached our defenses, we all scattered into the depths of the mountain down different corridors. We eventually met up with each other later, took collective shits in their treasure room in a huge golden goblet (after looting the rest), then escaped to the summit of the mountain, after of course freeing their mind controlled drider spawning queen who then went on to kill her "distorted bvastard children"

Driders are truly the enemy of dwarves, for they combine the absolute worst of anti-dwarven ideals. Spiders, and elves.
>>
File: ss+(2016-07-24+at+07.29.31).jpg (151KB, 565x972px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-07-24+at+07.29.31).jpg
151KB, 565x972px
>>
>>48440709
I don't see the point of Savage Attacks. It's already doing 6d8+5 on a crit, this just takes up four lines of space to make that 7d8+5 instead.
>>
>>48440709
why would anyone attack the hippos :(
>>
>>48440822
>implying hippos aren't volatile assholes
>>
>>48440822
You do not attack hippo.
Hippo attacks you.
>>
What CR is Izek in Curse of Strahd?
>>
>>48437868
>>48440282
>A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter.
Come on. It's a classic for a reason.

>>48439697
Get a broom. Anyway, Caltrops are probably easier than recovering ammunition, since you don't fire them across the battlefield.
>>
>>48440709
That's a really shit AC for a hippo, those fuckers are pretty much bulletproof.
>>
>>48441069
They're not bulletproof at all. They're just massive and meaty, which outta be reflected in HP not AC.
>>
>>48440886
His stat block is in appendix D. The book can be found in the mega, if you don't have it.
>>
>>48441113
I can't spoil myself. He got wrekt in the game I'm in though, and I know he had over 100 hp; I just wanna know his actual CR.
>>
>>48440855
>>48440834
>>48440822

https://youtu.be/1OMDMod82xc?t=1m23s

croc didn't stand a chance
>>
>>48441164
CR 5. He has 112 hp on average.
>>
is 5e the best system for a trapped in a videogame/other world campaign?
>>
>>48441211
Wow. I'm really glad it went the way it did then. When he didn't go down after like sixty damage I was like "Oh God am I gonna make it?"
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>48441214
No, that would be 4e.
Or Changeling: The Dreaming, depending on which direct the switch happened.
>>
>>48441214
>>48441241
Mage works perfectly fine too.
>>
>>48441241
forget the videogame part, i dont want slow af combat
>>
>>48440135
I mean, it really depends on how things are going. It doesn't matter if he rolled a 25 Persuasion check, he's not getting away if the enemies are dead set on killing them. For example, I had a bard player try to convince an ogre to attack his orc allies. She offered him a large sapphire and spoke in Giant, and rolled a great Persuasion check, which is why I decided there should be a chance this ogre would comply. I rolled Insight for the ogre and he got a 15 total, so "Or... me can smash you and keep the shiny!"

Roll initiative.
>>
>>48441255
That first system has reasonably fast paced combat if everyone at the table know what the fuck they're doing, and only the monster manual 3 and later are used for enemies.
>>
>>48441249
isnt mage just about mages lol?
>>
>>48441214
Depends entirely on the type of world you want to be transported into, and your personal preferences. If you're looking for something like the first part of SAO, or Overlord, it'd be a pretty good match. If you want something in a more modern or futuristic setting, there are better options. There are lots of variables at play here, so you'd need to give us more information about what you actually want.
>>
>>48440282
Warlock was mostly at will, but I know the Factotum had an encounter based resource.

>>48440903
>>A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter.
>Come on. It's a classic for a reason.
That doesn't count, rage wasn't an encounter based resource, it was a daily resource that also happened to have an encounter based limit. We're talking about something that can be used every encounter, no matter how many encounters you have in a day, and rage is not on that list.
>>
I'm getting ready to transition my LMoP group into PotA, and I'm looking for advice. From what I've read elsewhere, it's a really fun adventure, except the Temples of Elemental Evil can really drag.

Any advice on managing the transition? I know it's fairly seamless, but I would be curious how any of you might have managed it.

Any tips on how to spice up the Temples so they're more interesting?

Also, did any of you use the Devestation Orbs to good effect? Did your players care?
>>
>>48441293
You have no idea.
>>
>>48441316
they are trapped in another world (not a videogame) and they must find a way out, the setting just normal fantasy
>>
>>48437089
Can anyone say what's going on with this months UA?
>>
>>48441422
i think mearls said on tweeter that they would release a UA at the regular time next month, and then release another one the day after. so 2 next month.
>>
>>48441422
this monday, so wait like, 17 hours or w/e
>>
>>48441422
Supposedly coming out tomorrow. But he's said that like 3 times now, so don't hold your breath.
>>
5e clerics look boring. Am I wrong about this? What can I do to make a cleric fun?
>>
>>48441474
>Am I wrong about this?
i think so. they're very powerful and get unique spells and abilities no other class gets.
>>
>>48441474
well, what is "fun" to you? More martial? war cleric, or tempest. Control/magic? Light and arcane domain.
>>
>>48441474
What specifically do you see about clerics that seems uninspired to you, and what were you expecting or would find particularly fun?
>>
>>48441335
I had Gundren be like, "Okay, you guys, this here's our first shipment of platinum. If it doesn't get through, for whatever reason, we're fucked. Its going to (someone in Red Larch). While you're there, though, I've got an itch in my beard about Belsimer, an ancient lost dwarven civilization. Legends say it was supposed to be in that region, and it just so happens that a delegation from Mirabar is going to be passing through that area. You can ask them if they know anything about Belsimer, if you hurry."

Along the way, the closer they got to Red Larch, the more likely it became that random encounters would pop up as cultists, so they knew as soon as they got to Red Larch that something was fucky.
>>
>>48441474
Arcane Domain Gish is a fuckton of fun to play, especially at higher levels.
>>
>>48437326
I need someone to explain this to me
>>
>>48441500
What are some of their more interesting abilities?
>>48441510
>>48441519
I tend to like being able to manipulate things about the battle more than I like doing direct damage. So for example, using a battle master fighter to shove a wizard off a cliff, using a wizard to cast grease, casting hex or darkness as a warlock. Using a monk to trip someone, causing them to fall down on caltrops. I don't want to just heal, buff, and hit things.
>>
>>48441552
No extra attack? That sucks though.
>>
>>48441602
Command is a lovely lvl 1 spell.
Light domain is good for disadvantage
>>
>>48441627
GFB + Potent Cantrip. Only thing that could make it better is if it got War Magic, but it makes up for it by being a full caster.
>>
>>48441679
Oh boy, potent cantrip.

Only problem is that you can't get shillelagh, unless you take magic initiate.

Would be pretty fucking baller if they could get haste though.
>>
File: allthetimeintheworld.jpg (85KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
allthetimeintheworld.jpg
85KB, 500x333px
>tfw 6GB of pdfs
>dmsguild buys, osr reads, and fluff/setting shit

I feel like pic related
>>
>>48441602
Tempest and Trickery might be up your alley.
>>
>>48441697
I had a lot of fun playing it, anyway! Only bad part was that I was a little MAD, as I went for DEX + WIS. Ended up going variant human for Mobile for lulz.
>>
>>48441602
>What are some of their more interesting abilities?
just my opinion, its a class with like 10 archetypes, but knowledge clerics can learn things by praying, can read thoughts, and their level 17 ability is cool, nature clerics get any element damage to their attacks, can control animals, and dampen elements is kind of cool in the right scenario. tempest can fly and push people back with spells, trickery can cast spells from illusions, war is the only class that gets an easy way to make multiple crossbow attacks, can turn sure misses into hits, and arcane gets extra spells and can just end enchantments or other effects on people. that stuff combined with their unique spell list makes them cool to me.
>I tend to like being able to manipulate things about the battle more than I like doing direct damage. So for example, using a battle master fighter to shove a wizard off a cliff, using a wizard to cast grease, casting hex or darkness as a warlock. Using a monk to trip someone, causing them to fall down on caltrops. I don't want to just heal, buff, and hit things.
you might just not be into clerics, but they can do most of those things.
>>
>>48441602
I feel like you might enjoy the Tempest Domain. Good mix of AoE damage and battlefield control/denial in the Domain Spells, Martial weapons and Heavy armor, retributive damage ability, push shit around when you deal lightning damage, and you capstone with constant flight when outdoors.
>>
>>48441716
damn I have about 1.5 gb of various rpg pdfs and stuff, and I feel like thats a ton.
>>
>How many spiders...

I ran from a number that was larger than my barbarian could count once. Does that count?

What is everyone's opinion on exploiting simulacrum to do crazy high magic things as a player or as a DM?
>>
>>48441716
Just D&D or other books/resources etc.? I got like 3 gigs of just D&D 5e, 5 with tables, resources etc, and like 100+ counting all system books.
>>
>>48441583
>Lightfoot Halfling
Reroll all natural 1s on attacks, ability checks and saving throws

>Divination Wizard 2/Wild Magic Sorcerer 18
Portent: Every day, roll 2d20s that you can use to substitute attacks, ability checks and saving throws made by yourself or anyone you can see.
Heightened Spell: 3 sorcery points to give one creature disadvantage on a saving throw against a spell you cast.
Bend Luck: 2 sorcery points to give 1d4 bonus or penalty to an attack, ability check or saving throw made by another creature you can see.
Tides of Chaos: Gain advantage on an attack, ability check or saving throw. Next non-cantrip spell you cast causes a Wild Surge.

>Lucky feat
3 luck points that can be used to reroll any attacks, ability checks or saving throws you make, or attacks made against you.

>Heightened, Twin, Subtle/Careful/Empowered (depending on your spells), Quickened Spell
>Portent, Heighten Spell, Bend Luck, Tides of Chaos, and 3 Luck Points. Full caster with con. proficiency and ritual casting. Probably won't be doing the most damage, but god will you get on the DM's nerves.

Basically control every roll ever made on the table.
>>
>>48441716
>sick reference bro

Also I'm right there with you.
>>
File: 1465851892510.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1465851892510.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>>48441716
>>48441817

Over 12 GB here, it feels glorious.
>>
>>48441978
As a player, fuck that, too much preplanning involved.

As a DM, ultra fuck that.
>>
>>48439241

I do find it amusing there's rules for interrupting spells but they almost never happen due to spellcasting being effective instant.
>>
I've got 17gb worth of gaming stuff. *wishes I was exaggerating*

Anyone know of a Cosmic Sorcerer bloodline that's balanced?
>>
What are the absolute most absurd, hilarious shenanigans (that aren't genuinely game-breaking) a human (regular or variant) fourth level character can pull off?
>>
>>48442058
Concentration.
If you want to jam a spell as it's being cast, counterspell or ready an action to silence/stun/restrain/KO them with "the enemy attempts to cast" as a trigger.
>>
>>48442058
Which rules are you talking about?

>>48441716
That made me curious to see how much shit I have... Holy shit, 16.5 GB! And I've started playing October last year.
>>
>>48442058
Maybe someone, somewhere is using 2e AD&D initiative?
>>
>>48442048
Really? See I can see not wanting to do it as a player (Your DM will likely shut it down anyway, if you even reach a high enough level) but as a DM I think it adds a pretty neat mechanical way to explain things that don't exist, like an arcane forge.
>>
>>48441433
He also said next months UA "fixes his least favorite thing about D&D" or something.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (150KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
150KB, 1920x1080px
>>48442078
Kos, or some say Kosm...couldn't you just wing it with storm sorcerer or wild magic, fluff it as being cosmic and act like a pseudo warlock?
>>
File: 1468102686204.jpg (225KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1468102686204.jpg
225KB, 800x533px
>>48442118
Why do that when you've got this?
>>
>>48442088
Using silent image to make it look like you summoned/created things that a wizard double your wizard couldn't is always fun for a round or two.
>>
>>48442115
Sweet, I always thought fun was the worst part of D&D too.
>>
File: Warlock Patron_TMP.png (104KB, 1650x873px) Image search: [Google]
Warlock Patron_TMP.png
104KB, 1650x873px
>>48442118
>>
File: PTQYUqs.png (92KB, 413x421px) Image search: [Google]
PTQYUqs.png
92KB, 413x421px
>>48442153
>>48442168
God bless.
>>
>>48441982

rules light stuff, mini rules, nwod, settings like planescape, other systems like dogs in the vineyard, and lots of homebrew and supplements.
>>
>>48442194
do you have eldritch ass kicking?
>>
>>48442118
Ugh, I wish. That was the first thing I suggested to the player who requested it.
>>
>>48442168
*fix - Lunar Glint deals psychic damage equal to the warlock's Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
Damn type errors.
>>
>>48437089
why are mable and cooking mama scared of one of the monsters from puppet master
>>
>>48442194
Guess I've just spent way too much time in pdf share threads, I have books for close to a hundred different systems.
>>
>>48442209
Why doesn't he just multiclass warlock/sorcerer then? Hell even going full warlock would work.
>>
>>48441985
can you or should reroll those 2d20?
>>
>>48442089
Does the readied attack thing work on spells that aren't concentration?
>>
>>48442263
You can ready an action with anything as the trigger. It eats your reaction when you actually take the action in response to the designated trigger.
>>
>>48442236
I managed to convince the player that an Arcane bloodline I wrote months back works better for her character, thankfully. It was part of an in-setting thing, where a goddess decided to go on trek through the multiverse looking for her long-lost half-mortal daughter.

She wanted to play a relative of that long-lost daughter.
>>
>>48441985
>Next non-cantrip spell you cast causes a Wild Surge.
That's.. really not how that works.
>>
>>48442284
Yeah, but would it actually stop the spell if the effect is instant?
>>
>>48442236
I actually really, really want someone to play a wild mage, because I love randomness like that.
>>
>>48442303
It is if you have a fun or stupid DM.
>>
>>48442324
If it stuns them, KO's them, silences them, restrains them, or otherwise makes it so whatever components the spell may have cannot be carried out, it would stop it, since the spell itself couldn't be cast at that point. I'd argue even prone would work - if you start casting a spell and someone knocks you on your ass before you even get it off, you're probably gonna flub it without a good sleight of hand or acrobatics check or something. Your readied action can be taken *before* they finish the spell in response to them trying to start it.
>>
>>48442303
It is if your DM isn't a douche.
>>
>>48442289
The question is, is the arcane bloodline balanced?

>>48442330
One of my party members is a wild magic sorc. The only time his wild surge did anything to help us out was we were fighting goblins who had poisoned me and were gonna poison the other party members, when he rolled and everyone within X feet was poisoned.

Because of that, what could've been a lost fight turned into a 2 hour struggle and we eventually won because of it. Only time in MONTHS of play time.
>>
So I'm a bit confused when it comes to treasure generators. There are two I know of,

http://kobold.club/treasure/?cr=5
http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/random/#type=treasure;cr=5;loot_type=Individual Treasure

In the latter, what is meant by hoard/individual? Do you roll individual treasure for all creatures in an encounter? As for the first, it can't be meant to be used every encounter, as you would get a platemail's worth of gold from every encounter. Is it just for treasure rooms and such, so a CR 5 dungeon has a treasure room with that in it? What do you guys do with loot for random encounters/if you're too lazy to come up with it for planned encounters?
>>
>>48437580
I miss the experience and wealth-by-level progression of 4e. Whether or not it's optimal for the game, from a purely mathematical standpoint it's just beautiful.

Also healing surges (or some other cap on healing), but I understand why they didn't keep them.
>>
>>48442369
If you have an action that does one of those things though, couldn't you just do that thing? I was thinking you were saying that hitting someone when they atart casting a spell provokes a concentration check and I was happy.
>>
>>48439478

>rogue (assassin)

Over thief?? why?

I wouldn't take Thief/Monk anyways if you want to use your items frequently, since they'll compete for bonus actions. Go Rogue/Fighter and live that dream.

Although you won't be able to get sneak attack damage.
>>
>>48442438
Yes, you could just do that thing. We were brainstorming on how people might interrupt a spell as its being cast. Well readied actions can do that!
>>
>>48442209
The Cosmos is chaotic as fuck. I'd say Wild Magic is the one that fits best. A Wild Surge would be like the Infinite Improbability Drive from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Hell, you can even become the infamous potted plant!

>>48442256
For Portent? If I recall correctly, whenever you finish a long rest you roll those and write them down. Basically you foresaw a glimpse of the future. Then, whenever you feel like it, you can use one of those d20s to replace a roll someone would make. You can use each of those portents only once and on that day, then after the next long rest you roll other two.
>>
>>48440709

Shouldn't the modifier on his bite be a +6?
>>
>>48442499
They're good at biting. Proficient even.
>>
>>48442499
Strength 22 (+6)
CR 3 (+2 proficiency)
+8 to hit total
>>
>>48442471
oh I meant using lucky on those potent rerolls
>>
>>48442535
>>48442546

Talking about the damage.
>>
>>48442426
Open the DMG's Treasure section and give it a read.

I think Donjon is quite a bit off from what it is RAW. Either use the DMG tables or something like http://redkatart.com/treasure5e/rollTreasure.php
>>
>>48442426
individual treasure is what treasure was rolled in the dungeon, over a number of groups, split up for you already
look on corpses, hidden loot, treasure chests

horde is what will be in the entire dungeon if you roll it that way, what you can separate amongst the layout if you wish, but more likely contains "uncarryable" things. more art, more gems (less likely something would carry it as money) more gear, more carvings, that kinda shit.
it also seems more likely to have magical gear factored into the loot if preplacing it isn't your thing

just think of individual loot, as what would be in somethings pockets, and horde being something in their room
>>
>>48442424
From my own playtesting, it might be just slightly underpowered, but by such a small margin to be fine. I cheated and stole a few things from some playtest stuff, though.

That's why I love my players; they will always go for the greater risk for the greater reward. I couldn't ask for a better group of nutcases.

>>48442428
There's a thread on some forum or other that worked out the averages for each level, but, really, its unnecessary. Since you don't need money for magic items to keep up, it doesn't really matter what they do with money.
>>
>>48442303
>Next non-cantrip spell you cast causes a Wild Surge.*
*Under your DM's discretion.
Happy now?

>>48442426
You are correct. If you have 3 creatures (that would feasibly carry loot) in an encounter, you roll 3 individual tresures for them. Hoards are intended for bosses or entire dungeons, though a big enough dungeon could have more than one hoard. I also like this generator because it gives the option to trade coins for art objects, which makes them more interesting:
http://redkatart.com/treasure5e/treasureGen.php

>>48442428
There's a variant rule in the DMG for healing surges.

>>48442424
kek. I actually had a very good time playing a wild sorcerer. Threw a fireball and started levitating as my foes burned to ashes. Very badass moment. Then became the bard's balloon for the remaining 9 minutes after the fight.
>>
I feel like I'm having a stroke. I have the PHB sitting in front of me, and I'm looking at the Warlock right now.

If their slot levels only go up to 5th level, how are they able to cast 6th level spells and above?
>>
>>48442732
READ. THE FUCKING. BOOK.
>>
>>48442732
read their abilities, they get to essentially learn and cast one of each of the rest of the levels. thats why those levels have so fewer options
>>
>>48442732
Mystic Arcarnum class feature.
>>
>>48442732
The Mystic Arcanum class feature
>>
>>48442750
>>48442753
>>48442759
>>48442760

Fuck my life. I literally went back and read from beginning to end their class features after I posted. I must have skimmed / skipped that.

So it simulates other caster classes getting one higher level spell slot?
Got it.
>>
I want to go fighter/rogue. What are some good ways to build this?
>>
>>48442750
bro, the left half of his face is paralyzed, be nice to the freak
>>
>>48442784
Depends, what do you want out of it? What's your concept that you're trying to build around?
>>
File: 1d10 family.png (667KB, 1192x791px) Image search: [Google]
1d10 family.png
667KB, 1192x791px
>>
>>48442202

no
>>
>>48442978
Ranseur a best. A best!
>>
File: Cultist.jpg (616KB, 1028x1484px) Image search: [Google]
Cultist.jpg
616KB, 1028x1484px
Anyone have tips for playing a necromancer wizard effectively?
>>
>>48442978
>trident not invited
>>
>>48443022
Trident can party with the mutant offspring Glaive-Guisarme, Bill-Guisarme, Guisarme-Voulge and Fauchard-Fork that were not invited to the family gathering, either.
>>
these any good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cuqqHGpRDE
>>
>>48443075
nope
>>
>>48443075
>ironic canned applause sounds
nah
>>
>>48441532

Thanks Anon. I think I may skip the whole delegation plotline though; a lot of people say it's not well developed and doesn't add much to the story. Plus I've pretty much ignored the Faction element of LMoP, so bringing them in now foesn't make much sense.

Any advice on the Temples? Improvements/additions that could keep it interesting? Or the Devestation orbs?
>>
>>48437089
Could we get a source on that picture?
>>
>>48442578
>>48442583
>>48442689
Thanks, that's nice to know. I think I'll mostly use it for random encounters but it might be cool for planned stuff too.

Slightly related, why is electrum a core currency? Not awfully familiar with older systems and it seems like a pure carryover.
>>
>>48443106

It's filmed in front of a live audience, though it may as well have been canned. Fucking audience cheers every fucking die roll like it's an episode of Married with Children.

I have to admit I watched it through, would be much better with no audience and a better/different animation style. Still, I enjoyed parts of it. 5.5/10.
>>
I ran a solo campaign with a bro a few weeks back. I DM'd and he was a PC. Long story short his pc became the god of fate because I felt like doing over the top shenanigans. Anyone else have solo campaign stories?
>>
>>48443075
Jesus, I got recommended this by my brother but didn't check it out yet. How did they think that a live audience was a non-shit idea?
>>
>>48443285
its just an extra stage so platinum is more rare
if you dont know what electrum is though, its gold cut with silver
naturally it appeared and was used as a lesser quality gold, since the silver couldn't technologically be removed yet

its just another tier of precious metal though to spread across the various tears of play
>>
>>48443362
I knew the physical description vaguely, it's just so awkward to use a currency not divisible by 10. Maybe if I was American I'd be less bothered.
>>
File: S4hzOYD.jpg (441KB, 1024x989px) Image search: [Google]
S4hzOYD.jpg
441KB, 1024x989px
What class/archetype is the most fun and why is it Wild Magic Sorcerer?
>>
>>48443435
That's not how you spell Champion Fighter.
>>
>>48443401
dont forget you dont need to use it, i personally dont like it as well, and precious metals are unique from location to location (many places not having electrum in the real world)

just use dwarf fortress rules "oh whoops, this world genned without elecrum, guess it doesn't exist"
>>
>>48443361
>Acquisitions Incorporated
>Latest Critical Role episode
Shit idea, you say?
>>
>>48443477
I usually go for Battle Master, but Champion's good too.
>>
>>48443435
Level 14 illusionist wizards. It's not even a contest - nothing remotely comes close.
>>
>>48443481
It's not like I'm using 50 different currencies in my loot tables, I think it's fine to ignore electrum as well just for convenience.
>>
What would a 1d8 Versatile (1d10) spear weapon be called?
And why do glaives, halberds and pikes have the same rules and damage stats?
>>
>>48443720
Because they're not different enough to justify being different.
>>
What is the most underrated class archetype and why is it Mastermind?
>>
>>48438953
You could cast a 9th level spell once per minute. Insane.
>>
>>48443720
Just say it's a heavy spear.
>>
>>48443720
you could easily just make that trident, since its so shit, and would logically be weaker than "real" d10 long arms

honestly though, i believe its because they have three "normal 2hand" weapons, and for some reason wanted three polearms as well
but most popular polearms are piercing/slashing or piercing/bludgoning, and multitype weapons dont really exist in 5e, so they have two identical slashing weapons, and one piercing, that is identical otherwise
>>
>>48443720
That is just a Spear that has been mastered
See UA Feats.
>>
>>48442848
Not sure. I just want an unusual martial character. Our party already has a polearms dude and I don't want to step on his toes.

Just give me something wacky but not too stupid to do, I guess.
>>
>Flame Burst
>concentration
>a jet of fire bursts from your hand in a 15 ft. Cone in front of you, dealing 1d10 fire damage for every caster level and decreasing by 1d10 for every turn turn it is used, minimum 1d10
Is this alright for a spell? I was thinking of it as something like a magic flamethrower. What spell level should it be at?
>>
>>48440040
I'd lower the psychic damage, myself
>>
>>48443858
Spear mastery isn't great.
I think all of the x (weapons) mastery feats should give +1 str or +1 dex instead of the +1 to hit.
>>
>>48443859
Flail Master
>>
>>48443886
>20d10 -> 19d10 -> 18d10 ->17d10 -> 16d10
Jesus Christ.
>>
File: itsy bitsy.png (51KB, 320x389px) Image search: [Google]
itsy bitsy.png
51KB, 320x389px
>>48437089
>that pic in the OP
Funny, I was thinking about my city having a small district where most of the residents were 'monster' people. One of them being a spider girl who owned an inn
Plan that place to be a medium sized house whch got turned into an INN, so there's not much space, until the spider realised the attic wasn't being used, so she weaved a bunch of hammocks and put them there. She also makes amazing coffee and fly soup, anything else?
>magical realm
Yeah i fucking know, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>48443886

>for every caster level

first strike right there

>no level or school listed

second strike right there
>>
>>48443886
this has got to be bait.
>>
>>48443886
Cantrip.

Hear me out. It scales by caster level not by spell slot. With the range and concemtration requirment its worse than eb but does same damage. Fire draconic sorcerors could add cha to dmg but that isnt gme breaking.
I actully might steal this
>>
>>48443961
yep, that's bait alright.
>>
File: 1446334091034.jpg (318KB, 2535x1935px) Image search: [Google]
1446334091034.jpg
318KB, 2535x1935px
>>48443961
>cantrip
>>
>>48443961
>caster level
What board you on, anon?

lulz
>>
What's the funniest thing you can do with a character built around using crossbows?

Right now I'm thinking battle master fighter, variant human, crossbow expert at level one, two-weapon fighting style, dual wielding hand-crossbows, and doing things like shooting people from 100 feet away and pushing them back fifteen feet or making them fall down, that kind of shit.

First, is there any reason this wouldn't work, and second, is it a good idea?
>>
>>48441679
>>48441697
Potent cantrip only effects acid splash and poison spray. Saves, not attacks.
>>
File: orly.jpg (19KB, 479x90px) Image search: [Google]
orly.jpg
19KB, 479x90px
>>48444041
>>
File: Clipboard02.jpg (187KB, 1317x745px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard02.jpg
187KB, 1317x745px
huh, out of all the twitch streams I've ever seen, I've never seen one run like this. the dm is the only one on cam, and also controls the board irl
>>
>>48442424
My WM sorcerer has survived only because of a surge (reincarnation), I've stopped a TPK by summoning a unicorn, and I managed to kill off a rangers pet with a fireball. Managed to go invisible at a really beneficial time, too.

Then I've also had just great RP stuff, like turning into a manlet before a giant etc.

It's fucking amazing, and I'm more and more worried that such a fun character will get killed off.
>>
>>48443859
Dex based rogue/fighter with the Crossbow Master feat and a hand crossbow. Battlemaster for extra damage and trick-shots, or Eldritch Knight for more tankiness and spells. Crossbow Expert also means you don't have disadvantage on ranged spell attacks if a hostile creature is close to you. The level distribution is up to you, as far as I know Rogue/Fighter doesn't create dead levels.
>>
>>48444040
It's not that bad, not that good. Two-weapon fighting style is worthless to you though, since only wielding and attacking with two melee weapons may be considered as two-weapon fighting.
>>
>>48443919
I was thinking it'd be used for area denial and holding back a group of enemies, especially since it's got 5 ft more than a weapon with reach, and was thinking of a scaling like Chromatic Orb.
>>48443941
1d10 for every spell slot above 1st, then?
Abjuration. And the point was partially to ask what level it should be.
>>
>>48444040
Two-weapon fighting is melee weapons only, and Crossbow Expert gives you a bonus action attack with a hand crossbow anyway. Take the +2 to-hit from the Archery fighting style instead.
>>
>>48444138
In the very small chance that you're not a troll, what are you trying to do with the spell, in its entirety. Don't worry about mechanics until you figure that out.
>>
>>48444138
Use fucking higher level spell slots to scale it. Not character level.
If the books don't use a math in their spell scaling/damage/effects, don't tack whatever it is on your homebrew.
>>
>>48437089
>How many spiders have you faced at once? Especially of the giant variety
Four Giant Spiders, two Driders, a Drow experiment that was basically an elf slave down to the waist and hundreds of spider legs below that and a Drow lady dressed in nothing but webs from which an endless amount of small, regular spiders kept crawling off of.
We turned tail and ran, leaving a few walls of flame behind us the block the tunnels.
>>
>>48440659
Once got pursued by a large group of Drow, pet spiders, and a drider. Ran down a tunnel that looped back around on itself and realized we had a nice bottleneck to deal with the spiderfuckers.

So we threw down some Walls of Fire and chucked oil and other unnecessary but flammable things through. Asphyxiated everything in the tunnel.
>>
>>48444086
Isn't that an entirely different thing?
>>
>>48444224
Straight from SCAG, anon. It is different from Potent Cantrip, however, so my mistake on the name.
>>
>>48444174
How am I being a troll? The idea is area denial and heavy damage in the area.
>>48444177
Yeah, that's what I thought after the initial reaction.
>>
>>48444249
And there's literally no other spell that does that? I mean, there's a metric fuckton of canon spells, after all.

Find one that does what you want, and you can slightly modify it.
>>
>>48444267
Well yeah I got the idea from the Dragonborn breath weapon and thought of making it more like a flamethrower or one of the SCAG CQC cantrips.
>>
>>48444040
Crossbow Expert already gives you a bonus action hand crossbow attack for free, with your Dex modifier to damage. Two-weapon fighting means nothing here, take Protection or Defense instead. Also, RAW you can't dual-wield hand crossbows, because you need a free hand to reload then. If I were your DM I'd say fuck that, though, you're an expert with crossbows, I'm sure you can reload them even while holding another weapon in your off-hand. It's not even beneficial, because as I said, you get the bonus action attack anyway. What you could do is have a shield instead, for better AC.
>>
>>48444138
>Abjuration
kek
>>
>>48444304
So, what you want is probably a higher level burning hands with a knockback? Fire damage? Or what?
>>
How long do I let the party continue creating the BBAEG before ramping up the hints that, you know, they're creating the BBAEG?

Because their actions have already led to about half the senior advisors to the king and other high-stationed folks getting "disappeared", along with two whole villages, but they still seem to be stuck on the "well, some of those guys were dicks so this is probably for the best" stage.
>>
>>48443886
So it's like a stronger version of Burning Hands (1d10/caster level vs 3d6 + 1d6/spell level so scales much better, same range, I'm assuming you'd make it a dex save), but a cantrip?

Because fuck balance?
>>
>>48444331
What's the A stand for?
>>
>>48444346
"Big bad ass evil guy", presumably.
>>
>>48437089
>freaked out by tiny human

>ignoring that from the midsection up they are human too

if the human had a freaky spider head I'd understand, but still...
>>
>>48444341
don't forget it's an abjuration spell.
>>
>>48444107
The reason facecams are good is because it makes it easier to know who is talking when. Especially in a 6-man party it's going to take a while before you know who is who of the voices. You can also see people laughing etc. which is a good bonus but not a huge deal.
>>
>>48444346
>>48444354
asian
>>
>>48444382
Anal
>>
>>48444355
>go down to basement to do some laundry
>see what seems to be a large spider
>pretty common in the half finished basement
>whatever, il take off my shoe and smash it
>it slowly walks forward
>the head is replaced with the top half of a human
>and it seems to be trying to talk to me
>its asking me to not kill it because i just hid thousands of its centaur spider babies in the basement
oh yeah, i mean, its totally not understandable they would be weirded out, you're right
>>
>>48444346
Arguably.

It's a giant magical pyramid being constructed by a cabal of crazy-ass Diviners. It's capable of running thousands of scrying, clairaudience/voyance, sense location, sending, and message spells at once (but only around objects specifically keyed to it), memorizing all that information, and learning to act on it. The Diviners are trying to make a physical God because the real ones are considered too inattentive and ineffectual.

So, ostensibly, it's being used to improve situations in this nation, but it does everything through the easiest and most effective means (generally, lots of murder).
>>
Anyone have a good party tracker sheet for a DM to keep track of AC, Health, passive perception, ect.?
>>
>>48444482
I use little folded notecards hung on my DM screen; the outside facing the PCs has their name, tracks initiative order, and the inside face has the relevant info.

Makes it quick and easy.
>>
>>48444482
is a blank sheet of paper too difficult for you?
>>
>>48444545
No, I just wanted something a little bit fancier. No need to get hostile over it.
>>
>>48444445
So essentially an AI not programmed with the 3 laws of robotics? Interesting. And how has the party influenced it?

>>48444482
I just use a spreadsheet in Google Docs. But then again I play using roll20, so the spreadsheet is always just a tab away.
>>
>>48444341
Wouldnt it be comparabe to eldricht blast?
Or am i off base here?
It sounds more evocationy to me tho
>>
>>48444324
>>48444370
Sorry, I meant to type evocation.
>>48444341
>>48444325
Fuck, I forgot all about Burning Hands.

Let me try this again
>Flame Strike
>1st level Spell, Evocation
>Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
>Emits a burst of flames from your hands that covers a 15 ft. cone in front of you. Creatures within that space must make a Dexterity roll. A creature takes 1d10 fire damage on a failed roll, and half as much on a successful one. Enemies take an additional 1d10 fire damage whenever their turn ends within the cone.
>At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2 or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st. Damage decreases by 1d10 each turn the spell is continuously being cast at a minimum of 1d10.

So essentially Burning Hands+Witch Bolt with damage deterioration as long as concentration continues.
>>
File: Clearly passed it.jpg (62KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Clearly passed it.jpg
62KB, 500x333px
Uh.
Does anyone know what happens when a Fireball and Sleet Storm are cast at the same time?
I'm considering having them just cancel and roll on the Wild Magic table three times (level of spells) to see the backlash from combining elements.
>>
File: overview.png (15KB, 590x324px) Image search: [Google]
overview.png
15KB, 590x324px
>>48444482
I just make a page in OneNote and set up a table like this, if you don't have a laptop at the table I guess just write with pencil so you can change stuff?
>>
>>48444596
A 15 foot cone of fire more comparable to a 120' ranged attack than a 15' cone of fire?

I'm inclined to disagree.
>>
>>48444617
>Does anyone know what happens when a Fireball and Sleet Storm are cast at the same time?
The fireball explodes, and then sleet continues to come down in the area regardless. Maybe some steam is involved.

I don't see a reason to sidetrack and come up with some weird interaction for shits and giggles. I'd just play the spells out as they are and move on.
>>
>>48444600
Problem I see is why would you ever take Burning Hands over it?

They're the same level, but one does slightly less damage (average 6 v 9) and can be used the next turn without using another spell slot.
>>
>>48444576
Pretty much. It has no ability to do anything on its own (it can't cast spells that alter the world, it can't control golems or undead since it's not "alive" or even animate and completely lacks Charisma) so it relies entirely on intermediaries to propagate the prisms which serve as focii for its divination abilities, to gather more materials, to eliminate threats to the Diviners, and to carry out whatever other actions (murder) that it deems necessary.

The PCs are one of its errand boys. They occasionally work directly for the Diviners, but just about every other time they've been asked to do something that wasn't a peasant's request was also at the Oracle's behest filtered through other organizations.

They are about to sabotage (murder) a diplomatic meeting between their kingdom and a neighbor because they've been told the agreement reached will be detrimental to them; in reality, the Oracle wants to start a war it is fully capable of defeating so as to weaken uppity neighbors beyond its sight and expand the authority of the Diviners who will be delivering the victory.
>>
Anyone have a list of stat blocks that you need from the Monster Manual in order to run Curse of Strahd? I'm trying to cut down the amount of books and stuff I carry to sessions and want to make notecards or something for all the monsters that I need stats for that don't just appear in the CoS book.

Anyone have any kind of resources to help me out?
>>
>>48444600
>When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2 or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st. Damage decreases by 1d10 each turn the spell is continuously being cast at a minimum of 1d10.
You know what, I think that's actually how Witch Bolt should work. I'll probably homerule it this way from now on. But you should probably find another name, seeing as there already is a spell named Flame Strike. And you should specify how it works on the following turns. Do you have to keep using an action or bonus action to deal damage? Can you still cast other spells, since your hands would be "busy" flame-throwing?
>>
File: 1sNhKYY.gif (913KB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
1sNhKYY.gif
913KB, 500x210px
>playing with new group
>have NPC's that are just side characters that have interesting quirks or situations that "accidentally" make them like them
>they end up adopting them (sometimes their kids, or a neutral monster of some sort)

>players realize they put them in danger, want them to be safe, protect them

>the other players joke about "what if they die"

>they start wanting them to go home, try to make them stay with a family or somewhere they would be needed, but these NPC's want to stay with the player "I'll follow you until you finish your life quest...it's the least I can do."

>they always die

>my face when I run my games like pic related

and that's when one of them had to leave to cry in the other room when my not!HattieFromTrueGrit died...
>>
File: 1377080467104.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1377080467104.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
>>48444635
What's PP and AB?
>>
>>48444822
I'd guess Passive Perception and Attack Bonus.
>>
>>48444822
Attack bonus and Passive Perception. The AB/DC is basically so I know from someone's roll and the creature's stats if they hit/succeeded with a spell, without them having to look at their sheet, find their attack bonus box, and tell me the final score.
>>
>>48444635
You need to track HD on there, bro. Once you hit a certain level that is critical at times.
>>
>>48444854
>Passive perception
Shit, I should write that down
>>
>>48444822
I would guess Passive Perception and Attack Bonus.

Also what the hell >>48444635, you have barbarian, wizard, sorcerer and bard? That's some unusual party composition right there. And a high elf barbarian? With 18 Dex and Con, no less? Holy fuck.
>>
>>48444887
To know how many hit dice they have left for short rests? This was for a 2nd level one-shot, haven't run anything big yet so I'll note it.
>>
>>48444743
PDFs are your friend.
>>
>>48444635
who the fuck is playing the character Name the Race Class
>>
>>48444750
>already a spell named Flame Strike
fuck my ass I forgot about that too
Seeing as it's a Concentration spell it'd still take up your action to cast it, and I guess you'd be able to cast spells as a bonus action if you had a skill/feat that enabled you to do so.
>>48444696
>they're the same level, but one does slightly less damage (6 v 9)
Flamethrower would grow better and faster but have deteriorating damage as it's continued casting. I suppose it'd depend on how far you'd be willing to take it before it becomes inefficient?
>>
>>48444926
Rolled stats, as a one shot it was fine and considering he could have had 18 str and 20 con as a dwarf I'm fine with 16/18/18. Not sure about party compositions but I thought anything worked as long as you have a frontliner and not too many at that? Wizard and Sorcerer have enough spells to choose from to not overlap and the bard went melee with a rapier.
>>
File: 1372490088180.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1372490088180.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>48444963
>>
>>48444635
I've used cheat sheets like that for years. I like to also include a column for initiative and notes (like"stunned for 5 rnds" followed by tickmarks for every round that passes).

I'd share, but it's literally the top sheet on a legal pad.
>>
>>48445008
>not scanning that shit for us
How will I ever get a nice cheat sheet now?
>>
>>48445060
>implying my handwriting isn't illegible chick-scratchings
It's not "nice," it's just practical.
>>
File: 1412674187895.jpg (6KB, 203x248px) Image search: [Google]
1412674187895.jpg
6KB, 203x248px
>>48444799
Once adopted a girl after killing her family for being evil, which was me going all retarded Paladin style. Basically her whole thing growing up is to kill me. Best daughteru. I did tell her to try to avenge her family if she wants, but I will fight back at her attempt. Not going down just like that.
>>
>>48444969
I mean to sustain the damage. Your spell already does much more than both Burning Hands and Witch Bolt. Burning Hands is instant and does a bit more damage at 1st level, then falls behind, even more considering your spell only uses 1 spell slot for sustained damage. It should have some drawback or be of a higher level (in which case the damage should be increased slightly).

Witch Bolt takes your action every round to keep doing damage, your spell should do the same. And even if it uses your action, it's still way better, because Witch Bolt's follow-up damage doesn't scale, and only does damage on your turn. Your spell has the potential to keep hurting people on their turn as well, or risk opportunity attacks. Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like it should be higher level. 3rd or 2nd at the very least.
>>
>>48445008
Do you include languages or have that somewhere else? Having to ask for if anyone speaks gnomish takes away half the fun of different languages but since everything else is combat effects it feels awkward.
>>
>>48445121
Have you read Vinland Saga? It has a similar thing with the main character.
>>
>>48445136
Okay, thanks for the input. I'll work on it later.
>>
>>48445175
Shall check it out.
>>
>>48445121
Hope you didn't marry her.
>>
>>48445160
I never included languages on my cheat sheet. When things like that come up I describe things as looking like gibberish unless it's clearly in the native language of somebody present. Then if anybody tries to decipher it I ask for them to list off their languages. Not efficient, but it maybe takes up like one minute of play time per... long time. It's not like needing to know a PC's armor class.
>>
>>48445313
That makes sense, thanks.
>>
Hey anons, does anyone know of a way to make roll20 roll HP for a monster's token when I drop it on the map?
>>
>>48445527
I throw down a token and set it's HP and name in there, then set it as the default token for that monster. That way I can drag and drop monster character sheets from the journal onto the map and be ready to go.
>>
Speaking about passive perception.
When I run dungeons I move the token representing the party in the grid after they tell me which direction they want to go. So i may start using marching order for them, now here's the other problem, I got one party member with pretty high passive perception, I heard passive perception only works if you are alert, but duh it's a dungeon, of course they gonna be attentive.
When should I go with passive perception, and when with perception checks in dungeons?
>>
>>48445582
Yeah, I know. But I like rolling monster HP to have some variance, instead of everything having the same. Was wondering if there was a way to make roll20 do that, but I guess not.
>>
>>48445527
If you've got Premium, you might be able to find a script to do that, but I've not bothered, as I preplan the majority of my encounters.
>>
>>48445589
Personally I use passive perception all the time and just don't call for perception checks at all.

> I look down the hall, what's there
> Looks empty as far down as your light goes
> I roll perception
> Don't tell me what you roll, tell me what you do. What are you doing?
> I... uh... look harder?
> You still see nothing as far as your light goes. Put down the dice, Jim.
>>
>>48445642
You can roll for monster HP by clicking the HP bit on their sheet.
>>
>>48445589
passive is for the obvious things, and things they would easily notice
you're going to notice you're walking on a perfect cut stone floor
you're not going to notice every 15th stone three blocks from the left wall is offset by one half inch, and that it signals the path to a secret horde

same goes for things that are "in the way"
if you're not stealthing, passive perception might not work, because of all the sound your party is making. if you're in the front rank, your passive perception isn't seeing things behind you

perception rolls are more like investigation on a wide scale, and realistically you can just ignore their use if you really wanted to
>>
>>48445589
Don't go off what you heard, open the book and read. PHB pg. 175 (Passive Checks) and PHB pg. 177 (sidebar on Hiding).
>>
>>48445589
It's the contrary, when someone is actively looking for something, they make a Perception check. If not, then you use Passive Perception to determine if they noticed something or not. Say there's a group of creatures sneaking up on the party, trying to get the drop on them. You roll Stealth for them, then compare it to the party's Passive Perception scores. Anyone whose PP is equal to or lower than the Stealth check is surprised and can't act on the first round of combat. If someone is on watch, you should have that someone roll a Perception check instead of using PP. Same works for a party stealthing around.
>>
Anyone got that "all the character building/class options for 5e" thing?
>>
>>48445589
Adding to what others have said, you can also do Perception and Stealth checks hidden instead of your players doing it, to prevent the metagaming that comes from knowing they rolled 19+9 stealth when preparing an ambush.
>>
I'm not an old-school gamer in any respect but I still take traps as sort of a given. Do you use them, generally and in dungeons? I really like well done traps but most traps aren't and just end up being checks to see if the party is incessantly searching for traps before doing anything else in a room and slowing the game down.
>>
>I improv'd almost every single thing I said in our first game based on the bios of my players' characters and how they responded to earlier improv
>Players told me it was a blast
Is this what DMing actually is?
>>
>>48445993
>made shit up on the seat of your pants
>players had fun
That's what good DMing is.
>>
>>48445993
yup! plans are for first time dms, or master dms
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>48445993
Yes.

Welcome to being a DM, where the plot lines are made up and XP doesn't matter.
>>
>>48446017
>>48446017
>>48446031
All I did was plan out some possible encounters, put some quests in and then just followed the flow of what they did, with a little prodding through NPCs every now and then.

It was a lot of fun but I might try to avoid guiding them at all next time.
>>
If a character has low charisma, are people going to hate him, or feel indifferent towards him? Is he an asshole, or just awkward?
>>
>>48446314
>>48446314
>>48446314

New thread time.
>>
>>48445989
Unless it makes sense (Around a hunters camp, for example) I hate them.

All it does is serve to whittle down hp, based purely on whether someone said "I'm looking" before they roll well enough.

There's nothing tactical you can do to avoid them etc, just need to roll high enough.
>>
>>48442778
its ok people ask this question all the time so something about the warlock section must confuse a certain segment of the population...
>>
>>48443477
THIS
Thread posts: 376
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.