[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder Summoner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: summoner.jpg (170KB, 1024x797px) Image search: [Google]
summoner.jpg
170KB, 1024x797px
I'll be playing my first pathfinder game tomorrow, and I need some help with my summoner. We're starting at level 3 with 3000 gold for gear and magic shit. I think I want to be a human with some focus on UMD. Any tips? Am I retarded for not just picking a wizard in PF? Is not starting at level 1 a red flag(I have played dnd 3.5 and 5 before, so I won't be totally lost)?
>>
Basic Summoner advice:
2. Pick the Quadreped base form, grab pounce. Stack a bunch of attacks.
2. Go up the spell focus -> augmented summons -> superior summons line
3. Grab conjuration CC spells that benefit from your spell focus.
>>
>>48428211
Pathfinder is better if you start above level 1. 3 is still on the low side, but doable.

Summoner is good. Your eidolon can do umd - that is an option.

Or you could freely less on the eidolon and go master Summoner .
>>
Well first, find out if your GM hates himself and see if synthesist is allowed. It's an archetype that has you fuse with your eidolon when you summon it, and it can get pretty crazy depending on how you build it. Also find out if favored class bonuses are allowed. If that's the case, consider playing a half-elf instead of a human, though human is still a very solid choice.

Just have fun with it no matter how you build your summoner. It's a solid class that gets banned a lot because a lot of people think it's overpowered, and to an extent it is, but fuck it. You do you.
>>
In all honesty, Summoner is a very good class and is actually thought of to be overpowered by many. Especially two archetypes which is called the synthesis summoner and master summoner. Don't take that as it is "in your face" overpowered.

Everything I'm about to say and more can be found in this guide:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?184592-3-P-The-Summoner-s-Handbook-A-Guide-to-the-Pathfinder-Summoner

I don't know how your getting your attributes so I'll just be general. Put your highest score into Cha, that's your spellcasting attribute and will boost your social skills as well as UMD. Then Con to keep you alive, closely followed by Dex as it will slightly raise your AC, initiative, and help you slightly with ranged attacks.

Check the link I gave you for the different Eiodolns. I personally like the "Pouncer". However you could also mess around and try to make it so your Eiodoln can use wands too.

For mundane items, grab a chain shirt as you can wear light armor with incurring arcane spell chance. A heavy crossbow would be nice as you can use it once if you just really need to do a bit of damage without using any spell slots. I believe that spells with somatic components need two free hands so what you can do is just fire and take a free action to drop the crossbow.

For magical items, and Ioun torch (75gp) is pretty much a cheap hand-free torch, situational but inexpensive and useful; sleeves of many garments (200gp), gives you a good disguise at any time which should come into play often enough if your creative, Mask of Stony Demeanor (500gp), gives you an insane boost to bluff checks (+10!) to lie; and a cracked dusty rose prisim ioun stone (500gp), gives you +1 to initiative, initiative is good for spell casters and you want as much as possible. You could probably fit a amulet of natural armor to give you some more AC.
>>
Pathfinder related:

Want to be a Cleric who worships George Washington. Favored weapons being Musket and saber. Domains would be Freedom and? is their a Liberty domain?
>>
>>48428916
You could rely *

>>48428923
Unless the gm told you otherwise, assume synthist is fine.

It's strictly worse than a regular Summoner because worse action economy, but it's still low tier 2.

Remember that when fused you decide which hp pool to apply damage to. You can stay fused until you have 1hp.

You'll be like a barbarian who can cast buff spells sometimes, and the rest of the time, a bard who can do summoning better than most wizards
>>
>>48428966
I think so, but it's a variant of freedom, so you can't take both together
>>
>>48428979
You don't choose which hp pool takes damage, you gain their hp as temp hp so it's all in one pool and you don't start taking damage until it runs out of hp assuming you start siphoning it hp to keep it alive
>>
>>48428961
Some decent advice. Few points though:

Master Summoner is better than Summoner.

Synthesist is worse than stock Summoner, but it makes you like a martial that doesn't suck. If you have martials in the group that don't have any magic, you will make it very obvious how crappy they are.

Synthesist is the only martial that can keep up with casters.

Magus and alchemist come close.
>>
>>48428923
Synthesist Summoner is actually a power down from the base Summoner (or Master Summoner), but it really obviously outshines any fighty guy for no investment so it's considered OP.

Anyway, summoning is your thing, so do >>48428910
And then decide if you want to mix it up in combat with your Eidolon or not. If you do, nab a Reach weapon (spear), Dirty Fighter into Greater Trip and Outflank. Or invest in size increases for the Eidolon, Narrow Frame, and go Mounted Combat -> Spirited Charge
>>
>>48429026
>Fused link works very slightly differently!
Eh, fair enough, i was going from memory.
>>
>>48429039
Wish is silly because a baseline Summoner outshines the non magical fighty guys even more.
>>
>>48428961

Remember, as a summoner, you have very good Charisma. Although you don't have them as class skills, throw some points to bluff, intimidate, and diplomacy. Or maybe just pick one or two depending on your intelligence, Summoners don't get a lot of skill points.And don't you dare ever multiclass as a spell caster. I do want to reiterate on my point of Synthesis Summoner and Master Summoner: The former allows you to combine with your Eidolon, creating a combination that uses your mental stats and her physical stats. This is actually not as powerful as while it does remove on of your main weaknesses, which is aim for the summoner, it cuts your actions by half. Honestly, having the advantage of action economy is what you want. However, just the fact you can create a character that has both great mental and physical stats just does not sit well with people.

The master summoner on the other hand allows you to sacrifice your eidolon in exchange for the ability to just spam summon monster spells. In all honesty, this archetype is overpowered and if I ever GM a serious game, I would ban it outright. Furthermore, it really is just not fun. You steal the spotlight from the rest of the party and you make your turns super long. Assuming that your a good boy and have all the statblocks ready and available, you having to soak up a bunch of time for yourself to play army general just isn't a fun experience for the other players.

I think that's all I have to say about the summoner.
>>
>>48429037
Those last two parts are wrong: a well-built pure martial can keep pace with well built full casters from 1-6, as casters don't get their real fun toys until they have 3rd and 4th level spell slots to burn. From 1-3 everyone is kind of terrible, so all classes can contribute something. Certain highly optimized pure martials and generically well built pseudo casters can still match a well optimized full caster from 7-12 in at least one aspect (usually damage or some specific minigame), if only for the fact that unless you're a smart and highly optimized Cleric or an Arcanist/False Priest Sorcerer who spends loads of dosh on buying scrolls, the full caster can't do literally everything yet.

By level 13, pretty much everyone without full casting should stay home, since nothing they have matches Simulacrum or Limited Wish, with a few exceptions (the Summoner being one with their class level scaling standard action speed Summon Monster).
>>
>>48429056
Different hp pools is a very big difference. It means you can't be healed until your eidolon how is gone, so only from about half are you actually heal able
>>
>>48429056
Cognitive dissonance based on pet classes: technically "you" are the squishy Mage type and your better than a martial pet is seen as something like a roaming Fireball. With the SynthSummoner, "you" are the squishy Mage type that transforms into something better than a martial.

It's the same reasoning behind CoDzilla being a big deal pre-Pathfinder on either side of the divide; even though you have a pet that's better than the Fighter (Druid) or have a bunch of other spells that are Wizard quality (Cleric), people are going to focus on what violates the law of the core Fighter/Cleric/Mage/Thief classifications instead of the spirit.
>>
>>48429216
Isn't there a different healing spell that will tell the temporary hp?

But fair point in that you aren't able to use normal healing on eidolon hp
>>
>>48429399
There are spells that specifically heal the eidolon, so I figure that they would heal the temp hp pool. Other specific eidolon or summon spells like the immediate action heal a summon when it gets low (0)
>>
>>48428966
Domains should be freedom and war.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.