[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tsukihime/KnK RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tsukihimereproduction.jpg (350KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tsukihimereproduction.jpg
350KB, 1280x960px
I've seen lots of threads about playing in a Fate/Stay Night inspired grail-war setting, but not much talk about Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai. I feel the setting could be very interesting to play in, and you could make many thematically different stories based on what characters you allow your players to make (normal humans with maybe 1 peculiarity or stronger options like vampires or mages). You could do horror or mystery almost like a less hardcore CoC, or allow stronger characters that are more than capable of holding their own.

Anyway, what system(s) do you think would work well with the setting? Do you have any experience running such games?
>>
>>48427858
Tsukihime would probably work best with Mutants and Masterminds. Most characters in it do most of their stuff with a handful of unique powers, like the guy who summons dogs and sharks.
>>
>>48427858
Wild Talents. Take ordinary humans, kitbash on some BS Superpowers (given a suitably Nasu-y weird lavor as desired), ad you're good to go.

Alternatively, for Tsukihime: Monster Hearts. sure, it won't give you the powerlevel BS that runs in that world, but you'll be rocking the complicated meshes of relationship, romance and hatred that Tsukihime has at its narrative core.
>>
>>48427858

Firstly, Anima. It already have rules and everything for a lot of the weirder stuff of the setting (Like the MEoDP) and it's very flexible with how you want to achieve something.

Second, there is a site called heavens-feel that host a Nasuverse system that works pretty well for the game I ran. It's based on the Buffyverse rpg, and it has a style that fits with Nasu's works pretty gud. However, it's just a guys homebrew, so you will have to expand with anything that is missing.

I used the second option for a "Scooby Doo" style game, they basically tried to survive learning about their new powers, while dealing with constant barrages of weird shenanigans, mostly supernatural but sometimes dealing with normies going too far.

Also, the system has one of the best ways to explain how different mental disorders work, both mechanically and fluffwise.
>>
>>48427858
Actually, this is interesting. Why are people so obsessed with Fate/ when something like KnK would be much better for modern urban fantasy? Is this because Fate constantly churns out new shit to stay relevant? Or maybe people just love to theorize how a battle between Alexander the Great and Baba Yaga would go.
>>
>>48431383
Fate is the most popular nasuverse product, thats all.

The other lines don't get yearly two vidyas, animes and mangas.
>>
>>48431383

Fate is a good product, and it built up a franchise just as much as Tsukihime did back in it's heyday. KnK was a side project, the same way with a lot of other Nasuverse stuff. People keep talking about Fate and slinging their drool because it's simply more and more content. Some good, some bad, but in the end is nice to feel part of something that grows in different ways each time.

But, you are right, the only real way to play an RPG on Nasuland is by not making it a Grail War. KnK is the perfect model, with a bunch of PC working in a "supernatural detective agency" and discover all sorts of unique things in the world. It plays more like Shadowrun in that way, with a lot of legwork to find out what you are dealing with it, preparing how to deal with it, and then just trying your best. You can play it "Harry Potter, university edition" with Clock Tower/Atlas, but then you are threading into dangerous ground due to the few lore on how they work internally instead of how they operate externally.

And, if you really really REALLY want Fate level bullshit shenanigans, a group of Burial Agency/Sealing Enforcers/god forbidCounter Guardians...

Fate is workable, with lots of prep, players and GM in 100% the same page, creating a good way to handle Servants, and plenty of luck. Just is most of the time not worth the trouble.
>>
>>48427858

You can't, because everyone is an exception to the rules. Someone, a long time ago, posted why Fate is a really bad idea for a campaign setting because of the PvP nature of things and the way players behave.

KnK or Tsukihime can be done with Mage (Or with the players are Sorcerers) and Tsukihime can be done with Vampire: The Masquerade. You won't have the stupidly high powerlevels from the source material or the rampant philosophizing, but you can make something that feels decently J-Horrorish.

Really, it's all about the atmosphere rather than the ruleset. World of Darkness has Second Sight and other build-your-own-supernatural-entity toolboxes that can be used to create characters like Fujino and so on.

The problem is that most players will usually resort to combat to resolve things, and these aren't really settings which are meant to be combat-heavy. In KnK, the combat is basically a moot point: In Tsukihime, the same.

To be blunt, NOBODY is going to want to play Mikiya.
>>
>>48432372
>To be blunt, NOBODY is going to want to play Mikiya.
I'd play Mikiya if there was a Shiki.

I get your point, but I think it could work with the right group. In fact it might be better to run on a group that's only partially familiar with Tsukihime/KnK so that there's more stuff you can play with and reveal to the party.
>>
I statted Arcueid in Exalted once.
>>
I wish I could romance currybutt.
>>
>>48435938
How'd she work?
>>
>>48439378
3CD of SWLiHN
>>
>>48435938
Yeah basically Exalted or Godbound for any Nasuverse.

Demigods (Exalted/Godbound) and somewhat normal humans who have specific powers (Heroic Mortals) to sometimes level the playing field during a fight.
>>
>>48440565
I understand the 3CD part but why SWLiHN?

>>48432372
>To be blunt, NOBODY is going to want to play Mikiya.
In a typical group with D&D mindset - maybe. But do not underestimate people who want to play something more socially focused. Besides, as >>48432989 points out, Mikyia requires his own Shiki to interact with.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.