[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting an Ork army

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Hey /tg/, I want to try and join 40k dice tossing contest and my choice was going for orks.

What is the cheapest way to start an army? Gotta say to start playing you have to ride over a big pay bump. "Start Collecting - orks" has 19 units and their cost is like 300-400 points, so I won't even qualify for 500 bum games. In general, orks seem to be extremely fucked in terms of "point cost/IRL cost".
>Whats the cheapeast way to start an army?>How many models will I need for a 1000 army?

I have a weak spot for shooty approach. Can I somehow make warboss 100% shooty? (`cause every grot knowz dat having lotsa dakka is just pure snazz, cause itz way louda `n flashy den choppy, roight).
>Is it possible to make a semi-viable shooty ork army? I don't plan on tryharding or going for tournaments.
>What is the choice of my Warboss?
>>
>>48399651
>What is the cheapest way to start an army?

Start Collecting! Orks or eBay for AoBR Assault on Black Reach orks or ork players who are quitting and selling huge chunks of models for cheap.
>>
>>48399651
Don't do it. Orks now are the weakest faction.
>>
>>48400035
I don't care about other factions pretty much and care about lore and flavor. Is ork situation really THAT bad? Orks got an updated codex some time ago after all.
>>
>>48400174
Ork player here. Yes it's really bad. They're still great for painting but don't even bother if you plan to play regularly at your local store.
>>
>>48399651
As mentioned, since Orks are currently among the weakest armies, you're likely going to have a largish pool of people selling off their armies. Each of the starter sets for Orks have been pretty good from what I've seen, but the amount of models you'll need for a fieldable army is going to cost. Check Craigslist, eBay, and ask around as local game stores about if anyone is selling.

I don't play Orks so the finer details escape me, but Lootas and Deffkoptas have always been effective at range. As for the situation, their inconsistency, low initiative, lower leadership in general, and vulnerability to get picked off by overwatch shots (among other things I'm sure) is why they're so disliked.

In the end though, the point seems that you want to have some fun throwing dice and not to break the bank. Orks are usually fun, win or lose.
>>
>>48400211
>>48400035
>hurr you can't possibly want to collect toy soldiers for their appearance and lore without giving a single fuck about cheese
Hi GW store redshirts
>>
>>48400288
If you say so.
>>
>>48400288

I played Chaos Marines since 3,5, and I play them still, despite getting my ass handed to me more often than once. They are my one true love and will remain so. But after 4ed Codex came out I switched to Deamons, because playing for fun and not caring about winning is one thing, using an outdated boring army all you can do with which is remove models one by one without achieving anything at all is not fun.
>>
>>48400454
>boring army
I was wondering about ork mechanics, are there any good and flavorful rules that represent orks nicely?
>>
>>48401288

There are. If you like playing for fun and like Orks, totaly go for it. Just be prepared to lose most of the time. I would still prefer playing Orks, having fun and losing, than puting a Tau gunline on the table, roll some dice a couple of times, win, pack my minis back and go.

My post about boring armies was by no means about Ork Codex, I was referring to general approach towards playing low-tier armies.
>>
`oight boyz, but me question still standz :

Can one organize da propah killy `n flash band dat makes all da `umies dance with all da dakka?
>>
>>48401734

Do you want to make a fluffy dakka Ork army? Then yes, there are easy ways for you to put so much dakka in one list that the table will drown in all the dice you will have to roll in the shooting phase.

Do you want to make a competitive shooty Ork army? Then no my friend. Orks are an outdated cc army in a shooting oriented edition.
>>
>>48404351
Huh. I thought that shoota boyz got to compensate for horrible ballistic skill with loadsa dice, is that not true? I've yet to dig the crunch.

What about lootas, killa kanz and flashgitz?
>>
>>48400174
Yes. The Orks are a pale shadow of their former selves. The codex is rubbish, the model count required to make an average sized army is fucking ridiculous now, and they're only fun if your a massochist who likes losing and watching his army kill itself (from shitty, penalizing rules). And when you do finally get into assault, your "close combat focused army" fucking sucks at it.
>>
Orks have objectively the cheapest army right now assuming you like stompas. Buy a stompa, a mech boy and your basically there
>>
>>48399651
get flash cards and cut them into squares. wright down what kind of solderer they are. make cheap geto army. its what i do for all my NPCs when i play DnD. its a way to jump start your collection while your >>48399669 >>48400235 ext
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.