[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why isn't there an RPG set in the Library of Babel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hexagon.jpg (371KB, 1600x893px) Image search: [Google]
hexagon.jpg
371KB, 1600x893px
why isn't there an RPG set in the Library of Babel?
>>
Didn't Jorge Luis Borges have a short story like that?
>>
>>48393012

You made this thread just so you could talk about the Library of Babel, didn't you?

Well I googled that shit. I find the concept interesting, but there is little room for the type of conflict a typical RPG thrives on.
>>
What's to stop the players burning it down ?

Because they will. Probably by accident.
>>
>>48393012
Discworld's "L-Space".

Ook!
>>
>>48393012
How do they even survive in there? What do they eat and drink?
>>
>>48393012
>A near-infinite library with a near-infinite number of books
>A good RPG setting
nah m8
>>
>>48393224
That's how half the threads on /tg/ work
>faggot anon discovers some shitty fotm anime, video game, comicbook or cartoon
>"it sure would be fun to talk about it"
>"/v/? nah"
>"/a/? nah"
>"/co/? nah"
>"/tg/? perfect"
>"how would this anime work as an rpg setting?
>"setting I like vs 40k, who would win?"
>"character from cartoon that I watch enters your setting, what now?"
It's worse than quests and cyoa
>>
>>48393576
So you're saying that /tg/ is the library of babel of shitposting?
>>
>>48393576
And almost as bad as 40k
>>
I've had an idea sorta like this for a while, inspired by Discworlds version (>>48393509) as well.

The basic hook for the player characters is that an infinite library exists, and within it all knowledge can be found. However, searching yourself can take lifetimes, and you might never
find what you're looking for. Instead, those who arrive in search of something can talk to the Librarians, ancient spirits who watch over the place, and who will demand an offering or service for finding the information.

For some people, it's a simple amount of food or supplies, for others it's a mighty quest, and for some the price is beyond any means they'd have to pay it.

For those who cannot pay, they can instead apply to become Assistant Librarians. Assistant Librarians are visitors who become staff, living and working in the library, acting as guides and guardians to those who visit. They fulfill a lot of the minor tasks of the library, as well as protecting it from intruders or strange, dark things that lurk in the deep recesses, all in hope that one day they fill find the secret they seek, or that their service will end and they will be rewarded with the knowledge they desire.
>>
Wouldn't work as a self-contained setting if we take it as is, but would work as a visitable location in a multiverse setting akin to Planesscape.
>>
>>48393688
That "emperor was a shit person" thread number 12321094201832141 was great though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.