[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG Cubes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1468847949356.jpg (19KB, 622x378px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1468847949356.jpg
19KB, 622x378px
I've started constructing a common-uncommon cube with cards I have lying around. Never built a cube before. What should I keep in mind?
>pic unrelated
>>
I have a peasant cube, here is some advice I can give you.

- 360 cards is the minimum for an 8-man draft (15x3x8) so you need at least that many.

- as a general rule, don't have duplicates of cards in your cube, it rarely works. If you put 4 squadron hawks in there with the expectation that someone will grab them all, 90% of the time you'll get four players having 1 bird.

- keep colors balanced, both in number of cards and in power. It's a common rookie mistake to make mono red burn the best deck you can draft just by overloading the color with burn spells.

- don't forget colorless is a thing! There are plenty of good artifacts you can add to your pool, to say nothing of the better eldrazi (be sure to have some reliable colorless mana sources in the cube as well though!)

Hope this helps.
>>
>>48385287
Thanks a lot, this helps! I was going for singleton. I'll watch out for making it unbalanced. Should colors (and combinations) have more outspoken themes? Right now I'm going for something like "this seems fun" with no thought of concious strategies
>>
Search for the Cube videos from Tolarian Community College on YouTube.

Also http://www.cubetutor.com/ may help too
>>
>>48385420
You want to think like a developer. Each two color combination should have a general theme (G/W tokens, U/G +1/+1 counters, etc...) Cards which can support more than one theme are valuable.
>>
>>48385438
I had no idea about these. Thanks
>>
>>48385472
Okay, I'll keep this in mind! Thanks
>>
>>48385420
>>48385472
If it'll help. these are the 2-color themes I have for my cube, as well as some key gold cards for the archetypes.

>W/U Fliers (Thunderclap Wyvern, Stormcaller's Boon)
>W/B Enchantments (Underworld Coinsmith, Pillory of the Sleepless)
>W/R Horizonal Aggro (War Flare, Boros Charm)
>W/G Tokens (Trostani's Summoner, Call of the Conclave)
>U/B Control (Far//Away, Recoil)
>U/R "Instants and Sorceries Matter" (Spellheart Chimera, Gelectrode)
>U/G ETB Triggers (Nulltread Gargantuan, Bounding Krasis)
>B/R Suicide Aggro (Fire Covenant, Spiteflame Witch)
>B/G +1/+1 and -1/-1 Counters (Quillspike, Dreg Mangler)
>R/G Landfall (Exploding Borders, Zendikar Incarnate)

Yes most of those are creatures. At the same time your cube should have more creatures than non-creatures so that everyone has enough to be able to win. That said, don't feel like you can't include powerful non-creature spells like Hymn to Tourach, Counterspell, Swords to Plowshares, or Chain Lightning.
>>
Add in one copy of collected company.
>>
>>48384928
The only card you should have more than 1 copy of in the cube is Squadron Hawk. Do it for giggles.
>>
This is what I'm planning for my uncommon/common cube. You think I'm on the right track with this?

UW Flyers/Control
UG Threshold/Madness
UR Storm/Spells
UB Reanimator
RB Suicide
RG Aggro Fatties
RW Aggro
WB Constellation
WG Convoke
BG Elves

360 card cube.
60 slots for artifacts + lands+ outlier cards
30 cards per archetype
Each archetype gets 10 niche cards only it wants
10 cards of one color that go in any deck of that color
10 for the other color
Each archetype gets 2-3 "sign post" multi color cards to signal it
>>
>>48390570
30 cards per archetype seems a bit hig IMO.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.