[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nervous DM/GM thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: proboscis worm.gif (1MB, 240x426px) Image search: [Google]
proboscis worm.gif
1MB, 240x426px
>be friends with some dudes since highschool
>play tabletop intermittently throughout the years with rotating GM's, basically whoever had an interesting ruleset or ideas
>give pretty much anything a chance at least once, from my homebrewed superhero comedy campaigns to my friend's "CoC" campaign that he didn't read the rulebook before running
>get really into surrealism, horror
>want to run a Pathologic/Silent Hill-esque campaign using the GUMSHOE system
>kind of hyped
>generally low self confidence and depressed, but trying to work on it
>tell my friends about it
>everyone is on board but one guy (the CoC guy)
>he thinks the ruleset sounds stupid, hasn't actually read the book (basically stat points aren't used for a static bonus, but can be spent to get bonuses on individual rolls)
>I try to see what he doesn't like about it
>"It just feels like the characters are so samey, there's no roles or archetypes, everyone can do everything."
>Try to explain my point of view without being a dick (basically if you don't invest in a skill you essentially are useless at it, and spreading your skills out too much is dangerous, so most players with vary up their skills within the party)
>just keeps telling me how stupid it sounds
>everytime I bring up something that he is wrong about he tells me I just don't get it and moves the goalposts
>still trying to not be a dick while maintaining my self-confidence
>he eventually just stops talking when I ask him to just try it or read the book to see what I'm talking about
>hangs up on the skype call without telling anyone goodbye
>haven't brought up doing a meeting since because I know nobody else would participate if he didn't want to

I know it sounds like whining but it kind of hurt my feelings, since we've all been friends for a long time, and we basically will try any ruleset once as a courtesy. It's especially insulting because he still hasn't even read the rules. Anyway, nervous gm venting thread?
>>
>>48383847
Kill him and find a replacement.
>>
>>48383847
Well, thanks for burning pic related into my retinas forever.
>>
>>48383847
People can be dicks, deal with it and abandon this fucker

Sauce of pic related?
>>
>>48384006
>>48383989
Don't know the specific sauce for that vid but I believe the worm is a proboscus worm, was partial inspiration for one of the "boss" monsters of the campaign.
>>
>>48384006
>>48383984
I know he's being a dick definitely, I think he might be kind of mad because I had recommended the system for use for his CoC campaign before I got the idea to make my own. Basically, since he wasn't using a rulebook, everything was kind of arbitrary. We had character sheets, but we didn't use half o the info on them, and he would regularly forget to reference them for rolls (and mostly bullshit his rolls anyways) he also had problems with motivation, and keeping players in the story. His campaign had started petering out (he had just railroaded the deaths of all major PC's without asking anyone so he could "soft reboot" and nobody was really into the second attempt) and so I recommended he take a look at the rulebook since it answered some of the problems he was having, while still being a very easy-to-learn, and loose, which suit his style of DMing (players declare when using their bonuses, so no effort on his part to look at character sheets). Needless to say he didn't read it, then when I eventually decided to do my own campaign he just shrugged it off and told me it sounded uninteresting and unfun.

TL;DR: sorry for the rant, just a lot of pent up frustration, especially because he's a longtime friend and I'm scared that if he doesn't participate then everyone else will lose interest.
>>
>>48384006
>>48383989
Official name is nemertea worm
>>
>>48383847
Maybe you should work on fixing your group's dependency on the one guy who is unquestionably the worst player because he is too lazy/stupid (same thing here) to read a damn book.
>>
File: 1448428647409.jpg (88KB, 600x883px)
1448428647409.jpg
88KB, 600x883px
>>48383847
>>48384098

Your "friend" is being what we call a "Silly Billy". I'd suggest you just politely try to get the game off the ground without him.

And have this pic of a wierd humanoid eating butterflies for good measure.
>>
>>48383847
Where do you all get friends like this? Sounds like someone you'd ditch.
>>
>>48384266
Highschool, apparently.
>>
>>48384266
Basically just been friends since like 2nd grade with the guy, he's always been kind of testy but ever since he went to college he's gotten kind of obnoxious, we play some mtg on the side (mostly commander) and he's the kind of guy who runs a purposely annoying deck, brags about how annoying it is, then gets angry when people say it's annoying. He also has a bad habit of being "brutally honest" but not being able to take what he can dish. One time we were playing a game of magic and someone was lightly teasing him because he's a math major and we were having trouble doing damage calculations (it was edh over cockatrice) and he came back with "oh yeah, well where's YOUR college degree, huh? Huh? " which was a dick move because the guy he said that to had to drop out because of financial trouble.
>>
>>48384412
What the fuck
People socialize with subhumans that behave like this? Jesus christ.
>>
>>48384412
He's one of those people who are friends with you because of the long time knowing each other and either not realising it's not going to be the same way as it was in the past, or not having the self confidence or motivation to get better friends because that's difficult.

I'll bet on the latter.

OP, try to find a local game club on your own. Make new friends.

You can do it, we believe in you.
>>
>>48384412
why don't you hit him with a large wooden bat?

I don't get it. Obviously one would hit this person with a large wooden bat, it's weird that you seem not to.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.