[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A question about qst's and the like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

So, if i wanted to start a qst, which would be better, one with a very intricate system, one with a simple system, or one without a system and just is theater of the mind?
>>
>>48351313
Start with one you think you can actually do and focus on making your writing worthwhile instead.
>>
>>48351313
If you're a beginner (and likely a cautious one, evidenced by this thread), I'd suggest a simple system. Too much crunch drives people off.

But beyond that, you need to make sure the setting and story is good enough that people want to know more and play in it. To that end, you need good worldbuilding and writing skills.
>>
>>48351328
That's pretty good advise, thank you

>>48351587
Well hopefully i do, i've been writing for a long time but have never posted anything publicly, so heres hoping.
>>
>>48351313
I think the "theater of the mind" type generally goes down better, using the die rolls and decision points as ongoing writing prompts rather than tying yourself to a pastebin of stats and rules that will bog down the flow.
>>
have people seriously forgotten how to sage?
>>
>>48352474
No, they're just idiots.
>>
>>48352341
>>48352381
>>48352464
In all honesty, i posted it here mainly because 1, apparently qst is all kinds of shit right now, and 2, i see tons of Quests being posted here in tg anyway.

I will post it in qst, but i wanted to have my question answered in the thread that has qst's in them and started qst's in the first place. I do apologize if this annoys you or anything.
>>
File: baitmaster.jpg (76KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
baitmaster.jpg
76KB, 625x626px
>Namefagging
>Pic unrelated
>Using an abbreviation that's just a board name

>>48351313
A simple system is best if you're a first timer. Theater of the mind is just too free form to really work with the audience, which is more used to just picking options. A complex system can work if you're doing something expansive, but it's generally not necessary.

It doesn't matter whether you post on /qst/ or /tg/, really. /tg/ has the better audience, and your thread won't clutter the board for two weeks. /qst/ is the "dedicated" Quest board, but it's really slow and there isn't much interest in quests on it. If it's a /tg/ related quest, it's better to post it here anyway.
>>
>>48352580
You don't have to even bother acknowledging them as they are irrelevant. Janitors and mods ban them all the time simply because what they do is spam and shitposting.
>>
>>48352581
Thanks a ton for the info. And i only put that picture cause i had nothing anyway, so just picked a random one. And meh on the abbreviation thing. But yea, thanks m8.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.