[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentlemen, how can we fix MtG?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 32

File: 182.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
182.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
Gentlemen, how can we fix MtG?
>>
>>48298561
Dissolve the Gatewatch.
>>
>>48298561
Make all the cards a free DL to print.
>>
>>48298587

this.

also, give MaRo a nice retirement package and push him gently out the door.
>>
>>48298696
Nah, just promote him to something more managerial. He has good concept-level ideas and is a good, friendly face for the game.
>>
>>48298561
You already tried a thread very similar to this one.
>>
the game is fine it's the story that has gone to shit.
>>
Print the entire restricted list.
>>
>>48298587
This fine sir is correct gentlemen. The Gatewatch needs to be destroyed.
>>
File: 1444701774328.jpg (7KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1444701774328.jpg
7KB, 125x125px
>>48298561
Remove land as a card type, players get one mana source per turn without having to luck into drawing them. Boom, now the game actually requires skill and you can legally call it a game. It's amazing how many other card games have done EXACTLY THIS and yet magic still hasn't caught on. Maybe the game will be functional one day. In the mean time keep whining about the gatewatch like anybody cares about the quality of the storytelling. Protip: this isn't LotR, there doesn't need to be a story.
>>
File: SneakySkellington.gif (36KB, 160x170px) Image search: [Google]
SneakySkellington.gif
36KB, 160x170px
MtG is and always has been perfect just the way it is.
>>
>>48299358
I like having mana. It makes it so that you actually have to build decks off of a curve, and you can't just pack it full of 7 cost cards and call it a late game deck. It's a part of the game that takes skill, 50% of limited decks I see on Fridays fail because they don't curve nicely.

What they need to do is reprint fetches and shocklands until they're basically bulk rares. This way the entry price for EDH and modern would be a lot lower.
>>
>>48299358
Any yet those games are dead and magic is more popular than ever.
>>
File: jauIjDF.jpg (876KB, 2165x1191px) Image search: [Google]
jauIjDF.jpg
876KB, 2165x1191px
We have to go back in tiiiime.

Warn them about the color pie.
Warn them about Kicker
Warn them about the power 9.

All to screw it all up anyway, of course.
>>
File: 92h1R3q.jpg (202KB, 1206x829px) Image search: [Google]
92h1R3q.jpg
202KB, 1206x829px
>>48299659

permanent/non-permanent looks really stupid.
>>
>>48299659
>sword and shield for power/toughness

It's been done before and it turns out it isn't necessary. The permanent/non-permanent looks stupid and is unnecessary. What does "normal" indicate on Jace and those two creatures?

The way those mana costs are written is sexy though. Fuck off Future Sight style you failed to solve the too many symbols problem.
>>
>>48299659
this is so hard to read
>>
>>48299558
>It makes it so that you actually have to build decks off of a curve, and you can't just pack it full of 7 cost cards and call it a late game deck.

name a contemporary game where you can get away with this without some kind of mana ramp cards
>>
>>48299358
The purpose of land is to add variance to the game and let faggots like you blame something when they lose so they don't have the feel bads
>>
>>48299606
hearthstone isnt dead though i do disagree with their mana system
>>
>>48298947
The correct answer
>>
>>48298561
If your going to allow the current staple mana sources, and fetches, and tutors at all, they need to be common as shit.

Ban them outright, or print the hell out of them in every set, like basic lands.
>>
>>48299358
>Remove the luck of drawing mana.

This could work, quite easily, actually.

>Custom format
>Deck of lands
>Deck of non lands
>Can choose which deck you draw from
>You start with 3 land 4 non land
>Land deck has to be at least half the size of the non land deck.
>Non land deck has to be 40 (standard) or 62 (edh) cards
>>
>>48301435
you could make it so that you have a "second deck" but only lands can go in it, but you can have lands in your first deck. so that things like gsz for arbor or fetchlands work and its like a cost of running those cards in your deck since you added another layer of consistency to the game?
>>
>>48299358
>>48301435
>>48301506
I play balustrade spy, targeting your non land deck. Do I win?
>>
>>48301548
Such cards would natch be banned is such an alternate format, as they're either worthless or win buttons.
>>
>>48301506
If you're fetching a land, you'd just fetch it from the land deck.
>>
>>48301574
At that point just play another game. Like hearthstone
>>
>>48301506
>>48301548
>>48301574
>>48301587
But yeah.

With a bit of thought, it wouldn't be too tricky to write up a custom format variant like this in a page or two, including banning any cards that break the format, and issuing a ban on any cards that don't work/break the format when you split the lands off.
>>
>>48301621
Or play another game
>>
>>48301618
Maybe I don't like hearthstone for some other reason. Or maybe I want physical cards.

People have been making custom magic formats for decades now.

4-of, 60 card constructed is the main MTG format I never play anymore - I just don't find it fun. I don't mind the unreliable mana though. That was a suggestion for the other anon.

But I play draft/Cube/duel commander/edh/sealed, as well as some custom formats to mix things up, typically in combination with one of above.
>>
>>48301723
>>48301648
If play the hell out of a rebalanced Gwent though.
>>
>>48298561
>How do we fix what is consistently the best-selling and most popular TCG on the planet and has been since its creation

Protip: the wheel has already been made. There is no need to invent it again.
>>
>>48301621
>it wouldn't be too tricky to write up a custom format
Magic has been around for two decades and in all that time, how many formats have been invented that lasted more than a month and were played by more than a handful of people? Vintage, Legacy, Modern, Extended, Standard, Sealed, Draft, Cube Draft, Commander, Pauper... Tiny Leaders? Some of those formats are already dead too. Inventing formats that are playable and fun isn't easy.
>>
>>48299659
Dear God those cards look awful.
>>
>>48298561
That's easy.
All of you here on /tg/?
Never fucking play it again.
Problem solved.
>>
>>48301757
>Singleton, vanguard, plane chase, conspiracy, block, two headed giant, casual, peasant, archenemy, duel commander, star, assassin, emperor.

And for some less common formats, danger room and chassis magic, as well.

You don't need to find a ton of players, just enough players willing to play the format you're interested in playing.
>>
>>48299659
What the fuck is this template. Good damn it looks bad.
>>
>>48302107
Chaos magic*
>>
>>48298561
The game is fine. Story has gone from mediocre to terrible though. The major complaints have more to do with the cost of cards than the structure of the game itself and even then wizards is slowly doing things that increase the amount of good cards available.
>>
>>48301435
>Deck of lands
>Deck of non lands
What is Force of Will? Not that it doesn't have a bajillion problems of it's own, but they at least have that.
>>
>>48302144
Reasonable costed mana bases would be nice.
>>
>>48302154
In legacy? Never. Modern, maybe. God damn reserved list
>>
>>48302152
Eh. If you've already got cards for magic, and you like magic, and unreliable mana is your only gripe, it's an easy thing to fix. Get a couple of friends willing to try it out, and if they like it, start up a grip that routinely plays it. Not like it's difficult, unless you don't have any friends.

I wanted a group to play edh with both ban lists in place, as well as capping the maximum value of decks, and allowing high quality proxied decks. Took me a day or two to organize, and we've been playing that way for a year and a half.

Sometimes we mix in plane chase or vanguard or star, as well.
>>
File: PGL3-BoosterEN.png (243KB, 379x336px) Image search: [Google]
PGL3-BoosterEN.png
243KB, 379x336px
>>48298947
Yes, Wizard need to make an equivalent of the Gold Pack in Yugioh
For those that don't know, each year, Konami reprint staples and power house cards in a gold pack
There is less cards than normal sets but they are all (over)used in competitive format
>>
>>48298561
There's nothing to fix. The game is fine, the rules are fine, and even if I'd like Modern to be slightly more high-powered, it's WotC's calls. Plus, it's not like I actually pay money to play it, or would.

>giving a shit about the story
It's always going to be shit as a whole. It was then, it is now, it will be thereafter. About the only thing to lament is the loss of the glimmers of good writing the flavor text sometimes had, but heh, whatever.
>>
Make a format based on M15 card frame.
>>
>>48303814
Or basically move pre M15 into legacy and post M15 new modern.
Could wait 2 blocks.
>>
>>48303840
Every set is legal in legacy, not just old ones
>>
>>48298561
>lore wise
Dissolve gatewatch, or at least don't put them in every arc
>game wise
more stuff like EM where Wotc just reprint old over-costed cards to reduce their aftermarket value
>>
>>48302152
>What is Force of Will?
A game nobody in the Netherlands plays and that, last I checked, does not have a digital version.
>>
>>48299358
>play Charbelcher

Or, do you really want every single deck to be 5 colour control?
>>
1. move Maro from design to marketing
2. get rid of Gatewatch
3. actually reprint card, abolish restricted list
3. reinstall core set. This time call them "legacy/modern core set" and reprint legacy/modern staples (so core sets are actually CORE). Update core set every few years as the meta changes.

here you go.
>>
>>48299358
kill yourself senpai
>found the hearthstone player
>>
I like how recently people been doing experiements by buying out completely worthless, shitty cards on Reserved List and seeing both the price impacts and also how OTHERS will start buying these cards out when they see alot of movement.
You see 10-50 cent cards now costing 10+ dollars. Keep inmind that these cards would never be even played in EDH nor casual format unless they were there as some ironic joke involved.
>>
>>48304897
On top of this, realize complexity isn't a bad thing at any rarity.
>>
I love reading these threads. They remind me that even with their fuck ups the people that make MTG are still better than most.
>>
Remove mythic rares, the ultimate jew move of WotC.
>>
>>48298561
Get rid of everyone who currently plays it. The community is the biggest issue. They are the social dregs.
>>
Get rid of reserve list so all those faggots with thousands of dollars invested in cardboard get btfo'ed then reprint vintage cards so newer people can get into and start allowing proxy decks in tournaments
>>
>>48310333
>reprint
>and allow proxies
This is really a "pick one" scenario. Neither is necessary with the other.
>>
>>48310827
Thats true although some people still might not want to play with proxy cards
>>
>>48304897
>3. reinstall core set. This time call them "legacy/modern core set" and reprint legacy/modern staples (so core sets are actually CORE). Update core set every few years as the meta changes.

thats really all I want. And make the core sets actually worth something, throw in rare as shit cards that are worth money. I think the most expensive card from the 2015 core set is like $8.
>>
File: Haru Onna.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Haru Onna.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Give artists more creative freedom to draw in any style they want. I prefer Rebecca Guay over the hyper realistic stuff any day.
>>
Kill off Chandra and Jayce
>>
>>48312024
>Jayce
Kill off yourself
>>
>>48298633
This
>>
>>48312520
I'm positive people with your mindset are below the age of 15
>>
>>48298849
This.

Now obviously Time Spiral was the best block but recent blocks have been pretty fuckin' solid in terms of gameplay.

The story though...
literally tumblr-tier fanfiction
>>
>Kill an Neo-Walkers and return to old walker types AKA no more walker cards. Or At least kill all the neo Walkers and replace them with less shit.

>Fire and flay MARO publicly

> Remove the NWO, and realize having strong instants and sorcery's is good for the game, and having every creature be a sorcery and a creature is crap and shitty.

>Allows artists freedom instead of this generic, modernized, stale, all-the-same-fake shit.

>Remove reserve list

>Mass reprints, I MEAN MASS REPRINTS.

Done game saved and made better than ever before.
>>
>>48299659
I keep wanting to swipe to unlock those mana symbols...
>>
>>48312670
>hating on MaRo this much

Welp, someone's caught hook line and sinker by WotC's publicity strategy.
>>
>>48300048
It looks like the "normal" is for the casting speed of the card with normal being sorcery speed
>>
>>48311659
Then they'll play with the real ones, or not at all. If people are given the option to use proxies and don't take it, they can't complain about prices.
>>
>>48311844
This
Its just more interesting when cards can vary in style and not just subject
Also dump the gatewatch and make a phyrexia vs shadowmoor block
>>
>>48311844
They also need to get rid of their contracts so that they can get royalties if Wotc decides they are going to make tons of merchandise with your art on it also they need to let the artists monetize the art they made for wotc so they can make their own merchandise
>>
File: ThisKillstheP9.jpg (121KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
ThisKillstheP9.jpg
121KB, 500x670px
Next set after Kaladesh... Equestria
>>
File: 1467764385663.jpg (17KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1467764385663.jpg
17KB, 320x320px
>>48315617
I don't even care anymore.
>>
>>48298587
Isn't that just a lore thing? What does it shave t do with the gameplay?
>>
What's wrong with ut?
>>
>>48313682
Basically, just give the artists their rights back.

I mean the modern card art is sometimes really good and all, but I cant help but feel that some of the "magic" of magic the gathering is missing with all of this realistic stuff.
>>
>>48316707
Yeah it is but would the normies complain?
>>
Game is fine.
Lore and story are what's weighing it down right now.
Also I'd love fetch reprints once duals rotate out of standard.
>>
>>48316824
they probably dont pay attention to the art anyway
>>
>>48316826
What's the current story? Is Innistrad a good cosmic horror show now or is it just gay?
>>
>>48311844
This. Having more variety in style makes the game more visually interesting.
>>
>>48304897
>reinstall core set. This time call them "legacy/modern core set" and reprint legacy/modern staples (so core sets are actually CORE). Update core set every few years as the meta changes.

And don't charge $10 a pack for it.
>>
>>48317266
>>48298633
>>48310182
>>48310333

Let's put for suggestions that might actually happen.
>>
File: 1463611411092.jpg (31KB, 385x386px) Image search: [Google]
1463611411092.jpg
31KB, 385x386px
>>48317377
In that case, let's just double down on an accelerationist approach to the Gatewatch. Put them in fucking everything. Have every pack come with an insert that has Jace's face on it telling you how cool he is. Reprint all five of them every block. Never let them leave any format. Openly call any set from before the existence of the Gatewatch a 'mistake'. Shill, shill, shill to media conglomerates, food companies and clickbait sites. Get that movie deal. Have a superbowl ad.

Just drive this into the fucking ground and see what happens. Hopefully they'll shut down WotC and someone good will pick up the license, but if that doesn't happen, they just need to push it long enough that a generation grows up LIKING the Gatewatch and they'll have a dripfeed for a long time.
>>
File: 1368661119309.jpg (48KB, 312x442px) Image search: [Google]
1368661119309.jpg
48KB, 312x442px
>dissolve gatewatch and stop making the story revolve around Jace and the scooby doo gang
>stop being such pussies about power level. If you are too afraid to reprint lightning strike you have problems
>remove mythics
>fire Maro
>remove reserved list
>treat playerbase like they have at least 4 braincells
>be more creative and experiment more with fun mechanics. Stuff like delirium is kind of fun. The recent 1 million mechanics that give things a +1/+1 counter are not.
>stop focusing on Eldrazi. They are not that interesting
>hire better and more unique artists
>create fun new worlds and stop making so many return sets if you aren't gonna do anything interesting
>>
>>48317456
No, just don't bother posting stuff about getting cards for free or using proxies or them lowering prices because it'll never fucking happen.
>>
>>48317456
>Have every pack come with an insert that has Jace's face on it telling you how cool he is

Gave me a chuckle

Sadly I could see it happen
>>
>>48317472
>remove reserved list
Put aside the question of 'would they do this,' CAN they actually just say 'nah, not a thing anymore'?
>>
>>48317377
>Jace ascends beyond planeswalker to a planeswalker 2. Future Jace cards start as a planeswalker but can flip to ascended planeswalker form so you can draw more cards and make 2/2 creature tokens because those are fun
>Make every planeswalker a boring value generating token machine
>give green all the card advantage and powerful creatures
>give blue uh
>give red a 5 mana lightning bolt. During testing we noticed a 4 mana lightning bolt saw play once
>make every block fighting the Eldrazi
>make the Legion of Doom AKA the Hatewatch of Garruk, Nicol Bolas, Tezzeret, Nahiri, Ob Nix and Tibalt. Then make every set focus on the Gatewatch stopping their nasty schemes
>remove instant spells. They are too anti-fun and burden of knowledge
>remove anything that can combo with anything. Combos aren't fun and ruin the magic of midrange v midrange
>no reprints ever
>keep the reserved list around forever
>when you decide to do SOME reprints, make them all bad reprints and charge 60$ for a pack because why not
>make ultra mythic rares where it's a 1/6 chance to replace a mythic. Make them all standard staples just cause
>pander every set to EDH fags even harder
>make standard rotate even faster. Make a set only last a year
>make every card with a realistic style.No fun allowed
>make a Jace action figure that you have to buy and show to the TO's to register for a magic tournament. You must have the Jace action figure on display during the match or you are disqualified. Once you win the match you have to push the button on the back of your Jace figure that makes him say "I'm the best. Gatewatch assemble!" and then his eyes glow. Failure to do so would be a disqualification

Is this realistic enough for you?
>>
>>48317567
I can see something like an Ascended Planeswalker happening in the future and it's a nightmare.
>>
>>48317567
You're not paying attention.
>>
File: MTG-color-wheel.jpg (82KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
MTG-color-wheel.jpg
82KB, 500x498px
>What are the two most important resources in this game?
>Hmm... I guess they would have to be cards and mana.
>Dude
>What if
>We made it so one of those things was EXCLUSIVE to one color, and nearly exclusive to another color?
>Genius!
>>
>>48317377
>One, Jace needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine
>Two, whenever Jace not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Jace"?
>>
>>48317377
Give Jace more cool shit

Jace would be way more awesome with a lightsaber. Just call it like a mindsaber or something. That way he can get in cool sword fights with Nicol Bolas
>>
Things that I want to happen but probably never will:

1. Reserved List is scrapped entirely, WotC prints a set every two years (rotating in the summer with my #2 suggestion) to put Legacy and Vintage-era cards into circulation with modern card frame, text, and art, along with other Legacy and Vintage staples. A booster costs $6, and they do multiple print runs.

2. During the year that there isn't a re-release/update of the "Vintage Masters" set from #1, they continue putting out Modern Masters, lowering price of boosters to $6 a pop, and actually doing multiple print runs of the set. Also, making sure that every Modern Masters print run has at least two of the following for things: ZED fetches, KTK fetches, Shocklands, Filterlands, Manlands, Urza Lands.

Now, things that will actually probably happen:

3. WotC takes some risks with B&R cards for Modern, Legacy, and/or Vintage, continues to experiment with unbanning certain cards and seeing how the meta shakes out, saying loud and clear and often that if the meta starts to get too degenerate they will re-ban those cards until new cards/answers are made.

4. Modern Masters gets released every year and has multiple print runs, making it easier and more affordable to get players into Modern.

5. Stop revisiting old planes a few years down the road. Create new planes for us to visit and see how the Gatewatch fuck it up every time and then maybe 4-6 years later, THEN we go back to that plane and see how things have changed. The time between original Ravnica block and RTR block was perfect, and while DGM was a shit set, RTR and Gatecrash were solid sets for both Limited and Standard.
>>
>>48317700
> ZED fetches

Meant Zendikar fetches.
>>
>>48317525
I think so. Someone went into this a week ago or so and said that the reserved list is more of a promise than an actual legal document so they can break it but might get sued by some collectors and pay a settlement.

>>48317589
Fuse two planeswalkers of the same type from your hand into an UBERWALKER. Note that the UBERWALKER is actually shittier than the originals, but that won't stop Timmy!

>>48317700
I just want them to stop being so Jewish with the price of MM/EM packs and print actual staples. Repealing the reserved list would be nice.
>>
Why doesn't WotC make online-exclusive sets so Richard Garfield can finally play his Gunk deck against people who aren't WotC employees?
>>
>>48317721
>I activate the sorcery card polymerization and fuse my Jace and Jace card
>>
>>48317721
Fusions... sorry, meldings, are going to happen anyways. I was thinking some Super Saiyan bullshit were Jace ascends to Oldwalker level, then to something even more powerful. It's going to happen and you know it.
>>
>>48315617
thats cheap for the set isnt it
>>
>>48317879
>exile a chandra and jace yyou control...
>>
>>48299659
>Warn them about Kicker
You mean
>Hey, this mechanic is actually just the best, and you should have it in every set
>>
>>48317879
>It's a Jace card with a high as fuck mana cost like Eldrazi and crazy planeswalker abilities

That would sell a fuck ton
>>
>preview delve in furure sight
Lol bad mechanic is bad
>ruse cruise and DTT come out in khans
>immediately banned or restricted in all formats
Best mechanic ever
>>
>>48317938
Delve was always rated as pretty high on MaRo's "Storm scale" because he saw almost immediately just how busted it could be because of the cost-reduction mechanic.

It also shows just the strength/ease of filling the graveyard in Modern/Legacy/Vintage thanks to fetchlands, Thoughtseize, and low CMC instant-speed cards (Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, S2P, Brainstorm, etc.)
>>
>>48317662

literally what

before bashing the colourpie try knowing some cards mebi bebi
>>
>>48298587

Turn the gatewatch into a nascent Planeswalkers government instead of a justice league.
>>
>reprint lightning bolt
>standard and limited are great again
God WotC it's so easy
>>
>>48317938
tombstalker was played as a cheap beater forever
>>
>>48318013
Storm scale is painful to look at. There are a lot of great ideas and mechanics there that would be fun to have again

>"Time-Spiral like set"
>9-10

Fuck wizards is stupid
>>
Ban any one who can't pass a basic stats class from playing so I don't have to hear person after person whine about how "the mana system is broken and dumb and muh variance"

If you get mana-screwed all the time, the problem is you. The decks you're playing, the hands you are keeping.

The game isn't a problem, the game is a puzzle to solve and you failed step 1.
>>
>>48298561
Get rid of the Gatewatch
Preferably get rid of planeswalkers
Print the reserved list
Make the game less about creatures
Get rid of modern
Add pauper

Seriously, print more cards until the secondary market doesn't drive prices up stupid high. Obviously I need to pay to play but the it just gets ridiculous sometimes.

That's about it.
>>
Hmm, that's a really multi-fold question. There's obviously a lot wrong with the direction MTG is going in right now but I think focusing on the Design&Development side is more interesting than the Creative (Hire better Writers, Give Artists more freedom) or Business (Remove Reserved list, Reprint more Legacy and especially Modern staples) as they can really be summed up in a short quip each.

Moving on...
-Make stronger spells. I like that creatures aren't worthless anymore, it was a nice breathe of fresh air. But it's now gone too far in the other direction. There's nothing wrong with cards like Remand, Lightning Bolt, and Duress. Having Standard and Limited devolve into curve-out-creature fights is fucking boring and has driven people away from the format.

-Focus on making Planeswalkers unique. This is one of the things that I think is pissing me off the most. Every single Planeswalker released lately feels like a carbon-copy of other Planeswalkers. Taking risky decisions and occasionally having them be either worthless or incredibly powerful is fine and provides flavor.

-Make Flashback evergreen and put it on a shitton of spells, if spells are kept at a similar power-level as now.

-Rework Equipment. There is obviously something very wrong with this entire card cluster. They are bascially relegated to occasionally good in Limited and unplayable in Constructed unless there exists an Engine to break them, even then they have to be on a batshit strong power level. I'm inclined to think Equip Cost is largely at fault here.

-Reintroduce Mana-Taxing to Standard alongside cards that counter Mana-Taxing effects. I'm a fan of cards like Sphere of Resistance, Trinisphere, Chalice, Thorn, and Lodestone Golem... but I wish there were more options to deal with their effect than casting Nature's Claim for 4 mana. Likewise; it should help break up the incessant curve-out nonsense that Standard devolves into.
>>
>>48319843
>Focus on making Planeswalkers unique

I really agree with this. I view planeswalkers as a fun card type that allows player to break the rules of the game in fun and creative ways. When you make every planeswalker "safe and predictable" it takes away from the uniqueness that the card type brings in. I don't want new planeswalkers to just be a 4 mana value machine that shits out tokens.

I'd much rather have planeswalkers like Ashiok, Sarkhan the Mad, Venser, and Vraska where the emphasis wasn't to make them a standard safe value machine but instead to be a bit creative.
>>
>>48317916
>>48317879
>Jace Fusion card
>The fused version is Nicol Bolas
There. I just fixed Jace and MtG lore.
>>
>>48298561
Make decent manabases not cost a fortune.
>>
>>48319843
Equipment still exists because new players LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

They can have interesting and powerful design but that really only comes along once in a blue moon.
>>
>>48301548
You wouldn't because a land card would never be revealed and so they'd never be forced to put anything into their graveyard.
>>
>>48304462
You can play it through Lackey. It isn't a perfect game, but it is certainly better than MTG
>>
>>48298561

Make it an official policy that you can buy any card from WotC for one dollar and they'll print to demand.
>>
>>48322664
Please, that's not how that works. You still revealed all the other cards. They're still put into the graveyard. Manaless Dredge uses this exact interaction.
>>
>>48298587
But then who will redeem Nahiri?
>>
File: 1440533937153.jpg (26KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1440533937153.jpg
26KB, 500x354px
Give Rituals back to Black. REEEEEEE.
>>
File: harmlessoffering.jpg (42KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
harmlessoffering.jpg
42KB, 265x370px
I'm tired of everyone crying out against the reserved list. The reserved list is necessary in order to maintain investor confidence in the product. you are getting functional reprints, why can't that be enough?
>>
>>48298561
>Revive Yawgmoth
>Have him kill everyone
>Phyrexia wins
>Start over in a completely different Timeline not having anything to do with all past sets
>>
>>48324629

Are you shitposting or genuinely retarded? Either way it's not amusing.

>you are getting functional reprints

Reserved list specifically doesn't allow functional reprints.
>>
>>48320970
there should be like, two planeswalkers per set.
>>
>>48324808
if you don't see harmless offering as a direct challenge to the reserved list than you don't know shit about the politics of card design.
>>
>>48319843
>
-Focus on making Planeswalkers unique. This is one of the things that I think is pissing me off the most. Every single Planeswalker released lately feels like a carbon-copy of other Planeswalkers. Taking risky decisions and occasionally having them be either worthless or incredibly powerful is fine and provides flavor.
Yes please. I still feel like a half a noob, but having so many planeswalker with "draw a card" or "player(s) discard cards" is boring. How about instead of "get more lands" make something like "target land provides an additional mana of one of its colors until your next turn"
Dunno, it's hard to come up with something new. But there should be something, no?
>>
>>48324965
Harmless Offering is hardly the first time they've printed a card that's a color-shifted or strictly better version of a reserved list card. They've done it dozens of times before.
>>
>>48326193
Strictly better moxen, lotus, and recall when?
>>
>>48322664
Fucking retard.
>>
>>48326225
There's nothing stopping Wizards from printing an Ancestral Recall knockoff that simply doesn't target, or a Black Lotus that's an enchantment instead of an artifact.
>>
>>48326483
>an enchantment that taps
Nah. They could have it activate for three mana of any combination of colors, though.
>>
File: 113.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
113.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
>>48326507
>>
>>48326560
Huh. Here's hoping for that glimpse into the future to also contain some sort of lotus.
>>
>>48326588
There was a lot of cool, funky shit in future sight that should be used. My favorite set in my favorite block.
>>
>>48298587
>5 expansions of gatewatch
>all of sudden a story of new planewalkers
>like magic origins but with characters introduced earlier
>gatewatch tries to fix something
>but le evil kills the gatewatch
>the new planewalkers decide to avange the gatewate because lol who knows
>decide to part ways afterwards the le evil is done with
>all followed by lore reset where we go back to ursa and don't have to deal with the jacetice league
>>
>>48316824
Normies would either not notice it, or love it. Pretty pictures secures more eyes.
>>
>>48316990
Emrakul is fucking shit up. It's up to the Super Best Friends + Liliana to stop him.
>>
>>48328326
>Aura Swap
>Grandeur
>Gravestorm
>Fortify
>land creatures
>Transfigure
>Frenzy
>Grove of the Burnwillows
>Horizon Canopy
>Imperial Mask's ETB
>morph enchantments
>protection from CMCs
>Narcomeba
>Nimbus Maze
>Nix
>Patrician's Scorn
>River of Tears
>Second Wind
>weird echo/cycling costs
>Shapeshifter's Marrow
>Fateseal
>STEAMFLOGGER BOSS
>Yixlid Jailer
>Zoetic Cavern
So much weird shit, and that's just the future shifted cards. Too bad we'll never get a set like that again.
>>
>>48317525
They can, but consumer trust in the perceived value of cards will be permenantly shattered.
>>
>>48328494
Normies would hate it for being different or for the stylized art being "ugly".
>>
>>48328681
Nomies are already playing a game seen by most as dweeby nerd shit. They'd see the unique art as just more quill to put on their "lol I'm such a nerd xD" hat
>>
>>48328546
A set loaded with failed experiments? Say it ain't so.
>>
>>48329083
Not everything was failed. I just want more unique and interesting mechanics.
>>
>>48328546
the land stuff they did with grove and river of tears is pretty innocuous, i could see it being printed in the future

grandeur was a cool mechanic but got put mostly on shitty cards

i liked narco and yixlid jailer but they were just too powerful ultimately
>>
File: 1439156555022.jpg (20KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1439156555022.jpg
20KB, 344x344px
>>48326560
>Flowstone in future site
>mfw Planar overlays with artificial planes is possible
>>
>>48329083
They aren't really failed when there's only a few attempts, or in some cases one attempt. Some of them would probably fail under heavier scrutiny, but the willingness to mess around with what cards influence and affect will hopefully be seen again.
>>
MtG will always be inferior to Duel Masters in mechanics.
>>
>>48298561
reverse the power creep.
>>
Burn it.

Burn it all.
>>
>>48302445
Is there limited in Yugioh? Or boosters there are just lottery tickets? Wizards kinda already does that in the form of Masters sets, but they are jews and make it over expensive/limited print runs so people cant draft the shit out of it.
>>
>>48329484

they are already doing that, and its exactly what most people in this thread are complaining about

the standard metagame is lower power than it was a year ago, and much much lower than it was during zendikar, scars of mirrodin, og innistrad
>>
>>48317938
Tombstalker saw pretty extensive legacy play.
>>
>>48330474
honestly i think that most of these problems are in the process of being fixed, it is simply that R&D move slowly and carefully.
>>
What they really need to do is make it so Standard decks can compete with Modern. I'm not saying reprint fetches, shocks and bolt in every set, but making so Standard decks are at least somewhere around tier 2/2.5 in modern.
>>
>>48302503
>It's always going to be shit as a whole. It was then, it is now, it will be thereafter. About the only thing to lament is the loss of the glimmers of good writing the flavor text sometimes had, but heh, whatever.

The thing is, before all this planeswalker nonsense the stories of the individual planes were at least entertaining. But now they want a centralized cast of characters and it seems shitty. I stopped reading during Time Spiral, but I enjoyed the Ravnica, Kamigawa and Lorwyn books I read. Ravnica lended itself beautifully to assorted stories, but now everyone there owes their allegence to Jace or some shit and itxs not as interesting. I liked when, fluff wise, the planes were all their own things.
>>
alright guys give me some spicy tooth and nail targets that arent emrakul+xenagos

EX: tyrant of discord and realm razer
>>
Lore Stuff
>bring back the darker moods of the old sets
>write the lore about the everyday soldiers/wizards/goblins perspective, would make the story more engaging rather than 'herp planeswalkers are all uberstrong and can kill giant evil Gods' Pic related; I wanna know this badass guys' story.

Gameplay side
>Each set at the start of a new block contains 60 "essential" cards, 10 for each color, (like 5 creatures, 5 spells) and then colorless/multi stuff. RED SHOULD HAVE A 2 DAMAGE TO CREATURE OR PLAYER IN EVERY BLOCK!!
>1 free mulligan; this would make the game less hinged on opening hands since both players would be playing with their best (or close to) hand at the start
>>
>>48317567
>Jace is the mythical planeswalker 2, only one is born every 1000 years
>His hair turns blonde and spikes up
>Starts shouting all the time and blasting alien monsters with psychic energy from his hands
>Not to be outdone Chandra trains super hard in 100x Kaladesh gravity and also ascends to planeswalker 2 (somehow)
>Jace trains (his mind) even harder to reach planeswalker 3

I have seen what is to come and now my eyes bleed eternally.
>>
File: 1028312.jpg (79KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1028312.jpg
79KB, 750x709px
>>48332002
>Jace fights Nicol Bolas
>getting his shit slapped
>Nicol Bolas explodes Liliana
>Jace goes mega planeswalker and kicks everyones ass
>Every other planeswalker is relegated to "Goku's friends" tier and is basically nothing compared to the all powerful god Jace
>Jace fuses with Ugin at some point so he can be a dragon and even stronger and dragons are epic so casual players will buy a million copies

It's...beautiful
>>
>>48331906
>herp planeswalkers are all uberstrong and can kill giant evil Gods

This is really brutal. I also think the 2 set block hurts the story a bit. Like they were hyping the Eldrazi so fucking much as these world ending gods that just buttfucked literally every creature on a plane.

In BFZ Ulamog and his spawn were just wrecking everything and Ob Nix was loose..how could they stop th- oh nevermind we got em......but then oh shit Kozilek came out of nowhere with even more fucked up Eldrazi now the stakes are high annnd done. Welp on to the next plane

Innistrad? Jeez what could be messing up this place it's such a mystery because I'm 10 years old and I don't understand getting hit in the face with foreshadowing. HOLY shit it's revealed as Emrakul the strongest of all the Eldrazi.Oh it's just Emrakul already taken care of. No biggie

Like come the fuck on. That's the laziest writing ever. Even babies first cliches like I dunno

>One of the Eldrazi titans escapes, maybe to another plane to grow it's power and army and the Jacestice league has to figure out where it went

or

>the Eldrazi fucking GODS are able to kill at least one planeswalker and raise the stakes a little bit for when they fight and die anyway
>>
Game is fine. Fire the writers. Jump around between shit less. Part of what made the Weatherlight Saga and all that so cool was a sense of continuity between things, and most importantly a recurring cast of good characters, not a recurring cast of paper thin icons meant only to serve as stand-ins for their mana color.
>>
>>48331906
>>1 free mulligan; this would make the game less hinged on opening hands since both players would be playing with their best (or close to) hand at the start

If anything it would make it more hinged on opening hands

With a free mulligan, you're promoting riskier deckbuilding as you double a combo / aggro deck's chance of getting a hand it can win in early turns with. You also punish the decks that build for consistency such as midrange. A great midrange opening hand can't compete with a great combo deck's opening hand and that's exactly what the mulligan system seeks to fix.
>>
>>48317886
The best part is that the guy who did that originally tried to sell them for even more than the set was worth, he was 100% sure that some rich autist out there would buy it. Unfortunately for him this was also right around 2013 when the fandom collectively killed itself over a pair of wings.
>>
>>48331703
Reveillark+Karmic Guide
Melira+Kitchen Finks
Literally any combo
If you resolve an entwined Tooth and Nail and don't win immediately, you're pretty shit.
>>
>>48298633
The game would go bankrupt eleven seconds later.
>>
>>48330369
There's limited... sorta. They have to specifically design sets for "limited" because it doesn't work with normal Yugioh packs.
>>
>>48301435
Cool. I build a mono-red deck where I start with those 3 lands, and then never draw from my land deck again. Nothing but gas for the rest of the game, perfect curve.
>>
>>48317697
>mindsaber
Chuckled
>>
>>48324629
Fuck investors, fuck the people who spend 1000 bucks on a deck.
Standard players spend way more money than everyone else and they don't cry when 90% of their deck stops being worth anything because of rotation.
>>
>>48298561
Reprint fucking duals, fuck collectors
>>
>>48312670
>Remove NWO
I remember when creatures were primarily for attacking the enemy and you used other spells for other stuff. Except elves. Attacking has always been secondary with elves.
>>
>>48340094
Or ban them. I'd actually be happier if they banned them.
>>
>>48331111

How do you propose to make that possible? (it's not)
>>
>>48340094
Has nothing to do with collectors. The ones without U aren't that expensive.
>>
File: 1440999543497.jpg (18KB, 480x422px) Image search: [Google]
1440999543497.jpg
18KB, 480x422px
Increase artistic freedom for more visual variety

Shift the story to focus more on the worldbuilding aspects, planeswalkers should feel like adventuring wizards. They can duel each other but noncombat scenarios deserve recognition and they should only rarely be fighting some bbeg.

Fuck the reserved list

Increase the complexity of the game from uncommon upwards. Commons can remain simple but let's see some more experimentation at higher levels of rarity.

Increase the number of niche, strange cards like One With Nothing. This will create more unique deck types than creatures: the tappening.

Undo that garbage "planeswalkers summon the aether memory of a creature". It's awful. Creature summoning should be unique. Legendary creatures are bound to the walkers through some means. Summoning zombies would entail raising them from the dead, you could rally goblins from nearby mountains, acquire the loyalty of local knights, conjure an illusion or establish a connection with local wildlife. But no memory nonsense.

What do you think gang?
>>
>>48341583
The memory thing is entirely irrelevant, and if they changed it, it would probably fuck with the gameplay because WotC are retards. Otherwise, sounds good.
>>
>>48341724
It's just a fluff concern. There's a weird disconnect between having a card that requires you to jump through all these hoops to summon it, but then it's just the memory impression of that creature? If I'm not actually summoning a Lord of the Pit, why am I paying so many requirements? There's other examples like that all over the place.
>>
>>48341747
Like I said, if they change it, they'll change the rules too, and you're the only one who really cares anyway.
>>
>>48299659
They should try printining a masters set this way of cards that matter like goyf and shit.
>>
>>48341802
What game rules does it change? It just makes the fluff and crunch line up. Really it's bizarre that they made this change so late into the game anyway.
>>
>>48338186
im just bored of emrakul+xenagos combo, winning is fun but the same thing gets old, different combos are more fun, for both players
>>
>>48298561
Stop buying the cards or playing it at official events until Wizards acknowledges its mistakes. Fill out their surveys whenever possible with explanations of exactly how they fucked up. Go on MTG forums (not /tg/) and spread negative sentiment until their PR/marketing people realize that a portion of the playerbase is unhappy. Better yet, start playing Hearthstone. It's MTG's main competitor and will put the fear into the Hasbro execs. It also happens to be a better game.

But that's never going to happen, is it. So MTG will continue to be profitable and Wizards will go on thinking they've done a good job. Disgusting.
>>
>>48328546
MaRo, at least, has said that they now can't ever do Assemble, because nothing they come up with could ever live up to the hype.
>>
>>48342054
>It also happens to be a better game.
Let's not go that far
>>
>>48298561
No need to fix what ain't broke.
>>
>>48316133
Well, it affects which planeswalker cards they print.
>>
File: sf186_raz.jpg (111KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
sf186_raz.jpg
111KB, 620x350px
>>48328492
>Ursa
>>
>>48344853
I'd love to have every set give me five new and different walkers.
>>
>>48317472
>remove mythics

Actually, how about something a step away, like making Mythics replace a random card rarity, instead of a rare, and making them slightly more common to get.

The problem with MTG prices I think has a lot to do with Mythic Rares as they raise the price of a card by five times.
>>
Lorewise, finding a worthy successor to Yagg. Maybe a planeswalker with a history with it who would become the equivalent of the lich king in Warcraft lore. Elspeth?

As for gameplay, make instant and sorcery more relevant, planeswalkers more unique, artifact more balanced and maybe return to some planes that don't get visited often like Kamigawa sometimes instead of the usual 5 regular planes.
>>
>>48345032
Five is a bit much. I'd be happy with 2-3 and like 1 repeat, who is not Jayce or Chandra.
>>
>>48348431

In terms of standard

Instant and sorcery are almost as relevant as ever, what happened is enchantments and artifacts have become complete garbage for the most part

Enchantments were never that great but artifacts were always extremely powerful and now you pretty much never see them at all
>>
The thing I want the most is to stop focusing on the Gatewatch

It's super cringey and just a shit idea in general that limits how creative you can be with a set and the stories

I would make a large bet they introduce the evil-watch in Kaladesh that way every set can play out like a comic book movie where they gotta stop Tibalt and Ob Nix from cucking all the robots in India or something. It's gonna happen and they'll make evil oath cards too.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true
>>
>>48322789
A lot of things are better than MtG but MtG has brand power behind it so they can get away with being a bad game at its core.
>>
A SLIVER/ELDRAZI HYBRID EDH COMMANDER
>>
>>48317567
>drawing cards
>not fun

How does it feel to be the most objectively wrong person in the thread?
>>
>>48319678
>wanting WotC doing anything to pauper

Pauper is a barely alright format as it is, Jew meddling will only push it over the edge to pure shit
>>
>>48324629
3/10 I considered responding for a moment
>>
File: Confused-Doctor.jpg (25KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
Confused-Doctor.jpg
25KB, 800x532px
>>48324629
>thinking the reserved list actually serves a function in 2016
>>
>>48352940
This

The healthiest formats are always the ones where Wizards is involved with the least
>>
>>48352940
They'd create Mythic-Commons, that only come in one in every 100 packs.
>>
>>48351848
I blame Mirrodin mostly. An artifact plane with power level artifacts that makes other artifact to be released always weaker than those ones.

Then again, Theros was enchantement galore plane and it was the devotion mechanic(recycled chroma) that got out of hand ish.
>>
>>48298561
Lorewise: abolish the gatewatch

Collectibles wise: abolish the gatewatch.

Rules wise: abolish the EDH Rules Committee, replace with competent people.

Gameplay wise: get rid of basic lands. Any card can now serve as a basic land by placing it facedown on the battlefield in the land zone and declaring it's type.
>>
iirc the reserved list has a legal binding in which they can't print the exact same card (same rarirty, same effect, same mana cost if it has one).

so why don't we see functional dual lands at common?

Or even better yet, ban all non-tap dual taplands from all formats so that this 3-colors nonsense stops.

Either way that would make magic affordable for most people.
>>
>>48354807
The reserved list may be legally binding, but nobody could sue them for it unless their cardboard collections actually lost value.

Modern Masters and Eternal Masters have proved that reprinting cards that are highly in demand actually increases their value, because more people try to enter the formats those cards are played in.

By not abolishing the reserved list, WotC is not doing what is in the best interests of collectors, itself, hasbro's shareholders, or players.
>>
-Fire Sam Stoddard.
-Find some data that shows that players actually enjoy more 'complex' cards/board states (Samite Healer or Prodigial Sorcerer effects being the big ones)
-[re]Print more efficient removal and burn to offset the abundance of value creatures with ETB effects.
-Do more gimmick sets. Not often mind you, but Legions and Alara Reborn were both neat experiments that led to some pretty creative designs. Do more of that.
-Tell Development that it's okay to print strong cards.
>>
>>48354784
>Any card can now serve as a basic land by placing it facedown on the battlefield in the land zone and declaring it's type.

You're too late, the back of every card has already been officially designated as a 2/2 Creature.
>>
File: latest[1].png (800KB, 548x800px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
800KB, 548x800px
Fixing MTG is very simple. Just add SUPER ROBOTS.
>>
>>48354961
That's only while in the battlefield zone.

Facedown cards have different properties in different zones anon. You should know this. Caspere did.
>>
>>48354975
Making it as shit as Yugioh is not fixing anything except Yugioh's competition.
>>
>>48328640
Like their shitty treatment of people who actually want to play the game, who are unable to play said game, because of them protecting speculating "muh investments" autistic nerds.

It's a fucking card game not a stock market, reserved list needs to go and so do all speculators who need to eat shit.
>>
>>48354992
Where do you put all lands when you play them? Oh yeah, on the battlefield.
>>
>>48355152
What competition you autistic babby? YGO is BTFO Magic as it is already. Maybe if your favorite game wasn't about making money off cards and instead about actually playing it this wouldn't happen and YGO wouldn't be the king of card games.
>>
>>48355173
No, in the land zone. I said it in the first post you retard.
>>
>>48299558
What about if you could put any card in a "mana zone?" You want early game plays but it creates a tension. Do you want to resource your 7 drop?
>>
File: asmuga anime reaction image.jpg (51KB, 600x618px) Image search: [Google]
asmuga anime reaction image.jpg
51KB, 600x618px
>>48355178
>getting this upset someone doesn't like his stupid super sentai trading card
>>
>>48355191
The land zone does not exist, learn the rules of the game.
>>
>>48355210
>le smug anime face because absolutely mad about his kitchen table card game getting royally BTFO by based YGO

You can't make this shit up
>>
>>48317662
Direct damage is nearly exclusive to red and every format with good direct damage has a monored deck because of it, despite not having card draw or ramp.
>>
>>48317700
I don't get how people can hate on Dragon's Maze and say Gatewatch was fine. Gatewatch was the worst set I've ever played in limited. Ever. DGM-Gatecrash-RtR was at least a fun exercise in 4-5 color decks being the only viable decks.
>>
>>48355245
>You can't make this shit up

You did make it up, just now in your own post. Go ahead and continue to be this booty blasted though, I know your kind don't get a chance to speak outside of /vg/ this often.
>>
>>48319843
Making planeswalkers unique is what creates busted shit like Mindsculptor or worthless crap like Tibalt and Sarkhan the Mad.
>>
>>48329231
Wasn't River of Tears a preview of another set that came out?
>>
>>48355335
No there has never been a River of Tears set, and if scalpers keep on scalping there never will be.
>>
>>48355226
Right. Now, this is going to sound crazy, but I was proposing a hypothetical rule anon! And I invented a land zone for this rule to help resolve the confusion you so erroneously had!

Yay preemption!
>>
File: laughing.jpg (24KB, 500x552px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
24KB, 500x552px
>>48355314
>this delusion

I repeat, you LITERALLY can't make this shit up, you just can't.
>>
>>48355314
Stop falling for bait, you autistic retard.
>>
>>48355210
>Using a smug anime reaction
>Not even a recent one
It's like you don't want to have a good argument.
>>
>>48319623
>If you get mana-screwed all the time, the problem is you. The decks you're playing, the hands you are keeping.
10% of all games being non games would be stupid, magic has roughly 20-30% of all games being non-games due to specifically mana variance; then you have all of the games with variance of other forms that make the game entirely non competitive; not to mention downright unwinnable matchups which happen in basically every format.
The best players get a win rate for 2/3 matches in the 60s, despite often having non-skill advantages against their opponents.
There are idiots, but variance is a huge fucking problem.
>>
>>48355405
>calling out a retard is getting baited now

Are you sure you aren't the autistic one here?
>>
>>48355429
Getting baited by shitposters literally makes you dumber than literal dogshit, kill yourself.
>>
File: no smugun anime reaction image.jpg (7KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
no smugun anime reaction image.jpg
7KB, 228x221px
>>48355435
See now I'm starting to think you're just a samefag.

Keep going, sport.
>>
>>48355461
Go back to the /a/ shithole you came from and stop embarassing this board.
>>
File: k-smug anime reaction image.png (36KB, 268x237px) Image search: [Google]
k-smug anime reaction image.png
36KB, 268x237px
>>48355482
>he thinks I watch anime
>>
>>48341747
They can't have every summoning be an act of slavery.
>>
File: image.jpg (597KB, 1490x1040px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
597KB, 1490x1040px
>>48355335
Fluff wise, it was intended to depict Arkhos, a Greek plane. That plane got scrapped in favor of Theros. Much like Mongseng was scrapped for Tarkir.
>>
>>48317700
This is the first reasonable list of things Ive seen all thread
>>
>>48355504
If it looks like shit, and smells like shit, it's probably shit
>>
>>48355504
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>48352154
MTG is not a bad game. It's fun and people generally enjoy playing it, casual and competitive formats alike.
>>
>>48298561
Magic fluff was always stupid and mutable. Weve swapped out Star trek for Avengers and I still dont give two shits.Magic is not a good medium to explore stories about specific characters. And I like NWO. Nothing is so stupid as a new player thinking a grognard lied to them when they use a stupid infinite recursion combo. At the very least, creatures are a part of the game, and should not be a trap option

>Abolish the reserve list.
>Reprint Eternal staples in some non standard legal set. I liked that "Gold Box" idea. Theyve had the right idea with the duel decks.
>Stop returning to planes. It was cute with RtR but its starting to wear off. The return blocks couldnt hold a candle to nostalgia, and you keep blowing them up besides.
Magic as it is, that would help a lot. If I could go back in time
>Add enchantment and elemental type damage
>Scrap lands. Add "mana zone" and you can put any card there. HAve ards interact with mana zone
>>
>>48298561
Kick out the sjws
>>
>>48330369
Limited is pretty much limited to battle packs due to how the game focuses on Tribal. However, it's pretty easy to get the Gold packs, and the other person isn't event mentioning Mega Tins, which reprints the best from the year.
>>
>>48355372
Go play FoW then, fags like you just shit up the game.
>>
>>48355416
>recent anime
>>
>>48355921
>>Scrap lands. Add "mana zone" and you can put any card there. HAve ards interact with mana zone
Might as well play something else if you're going to kill 40% of the game.
>>
The game would be rescued by driving the price of meta-favored cards down so that more players can have access to the best meta, preventing a select few players in each meta from dominating the fuck out of everyone due to disposable income.

This would in turn inspire more players to figure out ways to improve upon or deconstruct the meta in each of their local areas, which would bring back kitchen-table casual magic.
>>
>>48298561
1. Remove Hasboro
2. Kill the fucking writing team, find one with brains
3. Stop revisiting every fucking plane ever, only to fuck their lore and our enjoyment of them
>>
>>48356315
Agreed. No card game should be decided by disposable income alone.
>Be at LGS
>Try modern with a budget deck
>Go against a triple color control deck
>By turn 6 I've had a total of one creature survive to the next turn.
>Damnation, mana drain, and no basic lands fuel his virtual mortgage of a deck.
>>
>>48356356
>modern
>mana drain

Yeah, no....
>>
>>48356356
>modern with a budget deck
I'm told this is impossible to make work due to the aforementioned reasons.

I was told EDH is supposed to be the answer to this but that's gone totally bananas too, as has Pauper.
>>
>>48356530
Pauper stuff is pretty cheap compared to other things due to how Commons increases supply. The Big problem with the staple cards is that if it's a rare or higher, it can ruin the chance for one to get it for their deck.
>>
>Make the settings fantastic and unique again instead of pandering to lowest common denominator marketing
>More print runs of Master sets so that they're not sold out everywhere because some jew just had to get a thousand boxes so he could spike the price on eBay

I know that the secondary market brings in the big bucks to Wizard and that the reserve list keeps players from the 90's happy but is this a card game or a fucking Fabergé egg collection?
>>
>>48317662
Why the fuck is the text on the red slice facing the wrong way?
>>
>>48298561
Contrived themes that we'll never see again make for really forgettable cards - drop these. Keywords that need reminders every time aren't useful.

Plot should be a little closer to GRRM, like in the old days where characters that mattered could die. As it is, it's starting to feel like a cape story.
>>
>>48357104
>settings
I don't know about that, sure you can argue about the Eldrazi, but the settings are pretty varied desu.
>>
>>48355419

>making up numbers
>>
>>48356356
First of all

>control deck in modern doing well

Nah I call bullshit. Control has been basically terrible and only recently changed with Nahiri.

>mana drain

Kek

In addition I think it's fine that some formats cost a little more. Legacy is getting a bit pricey and I wish they would control prices in some way rather than not at all but it's just a fucking hobby. There's not a guarantee on the box that says "get into any format for under 5$"

There is a price barrier to entry and you have to deal with it
>>
They've already moved Maro into true "head design", he only semi leads the start of each set, and lead world building, then he makes a few timmy rares and uncommons. Before moving over to next block.
>>
>>48298561
Kill the Jacestice League. Get rid of mythic rares - push their power level to rare, rare to uncommon, and uncommon to common.
>>
>>48357542
Flavor.
>>
>>48356530
EDH is like the most expensive casual format by far. I don't understand its insane popularity based on the fact that you actually NEED the good stuff to even vaguely have a good time because you have to "keep up with the neighbours" more in that format than any other.
>>
>>48360766
>most expensive casual format
>not 93/94
>>
>>48354784
Congratulations, you've made burn the best deck in most formats.

Faggot.
>>
File: cardart_JaceArchitectofThought.jpg (76KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
cardart_JaceArchitectofThought.jpg
76KB, 750x500px
Make the game more inclusive. I mean bits and pieces of character background and game lore, not necessarily details that may be printed on the cards themselves.

There don't seem to be any details about the Gatewatch's personal relationships, so there's some unexplored territory to start with. As an example, maybe somewhere down the line Jace could run into an adolescent male friend or mentor, for whom he develops a strong romantic attraction. Jace then subsequently has to come to terms with his sexual orientation, and in acclimating to this, he unlocks some repressed potential that grants him new powers.

This might make the character more identifiable to the LGBT playerbase. Some LGBT players may feel alienated by the hostility of non-LGBT players, so having official recognition from WotC could keep these players from being driven away from the game altogether, which of course translates to better sales.
>>
File: BaitMagicCard.jpg (29KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
BaitMagicCard.jpg
29KB, 375x523px
>>48361209
Not even really trying tbqh family

Would have been more believable without a Jace picture
>>
>>48361277

I'm completely seriously, even if it does seem cringeworthy. There's nothing WotC could do to fuck up the lore at this point, so they may as be risque with their characters. It might come off as cheap pandering, but I guarantee Jace's coming out would boost sales.
>>
>>48298633
if only all the card designers and artists would work for free
>>
>>48311844
she's my favourite artist also. the old school looking art was one of the things that drew me into the game back in the day. Ice Age/Alliances stuff was best era IMO.
>>
Every color does everything but through different gimmicks.
Instead of counterspell being Blue, each color has their own flavor of counterspell
Black: Counter target spell, lose 3 life
Red: Not entirely sure
Green: Counter target spell with a CMC equal to or less than the creature with the greatest toughness/power you control
White: Counter target spell, player who controls that spell gets to draw a card
>>
>>48357980
I didn't make up the numbers for the win rates of the best players, which was the only number that I didn't explicitly qualify with 'roughly'. That information isn't hard to find. I don't think that 20-30% of games ending due to mana screw/ mana flood is an unreasonable estimate, but it still doesn't account for other non-games.
>>
>>48361500
Ugh. No, thanks. Maybe a few cycles, though. But mono shouldn't become more common that bi decks and that's what will happen if you don't have to complement one color with another.
>>
>>48328546
Don't make me cry, anon.
>>
>>48340994
Look at the decks from the time between TimeSpiral and RTR. Most of them could be played in modern without too many problems.
It has been done before and it can be done again.
>>
>>48361209
Jace already has Ral Zarek.
>>
>>48361500
That's retarded

You're retarded
>>
>>48339165
That is because standard players are cucks who get off to being abused by Mark "The Nose" Rosewater
>>
>>48361500
I don't play MTG, but it's annoying when every archetype in Yugioh gets a Counter Trap.
>>
>>48298561
/tg/ stops playing Mtg.
World now a better place.
>>
>>48298561
Do what needs to be done so the game becomes more lucrative.
>>
How to make Magic better? Just say fuck off to the investors and reprint old sets every year for nostalgia's sake. I want to open a fresh pack of old Magic cards and play in vintage formats and blocks. I dont give a fuck about investing, I just want to play. And dont do it like this Eternal Masters crap where a single booster pack costs $12.

I want to play blocks like >>48361475 mentioned with old-school artwork and rules, and I want to do it in real life, not on the computer. The "investors" can keep their old 1990s cards, who cares. I will be happy to play with old looking cards with "2016" printed on the bottom for the price of a regular booster.
>>
>>48355191
>the land zone
>>
How to fix Standard: Allow for a list of about twenty to thirty cards outside of the current Standard block to be played within Standard. Cards that are usually flavourful within the set and then rotate the list of twenty to thirty when the next set comes out.

Otherwise cards devalue immediately after they fall out of standard and fall into Commander and Pauper because they're not modern playable.

As well as Intro Decks, sell Upgrade Decks which offer commons, uncommons and rares alongside a solitary mythic that are particularly strong. (premium removal and non-vanilla creatures) These will come in threes and twos to add to your existing Intro Deck to make it more specialised, competitive and focused. It also comes with information on what cards to take out of your Intro Deck to make room for the new additions.

How to fix Modern: Print another play out of the box Modern Event Deck. Remove the Reserved list or make a high end, high cost product that contains non-randomised very strong cards for Eternal formats. Anyone can buy their way into the game so why not just tether the prices slightly? No card is going to get seriously devalued if you just change the artwork. If WotC made a $299.99 box containing all the Mox's with different art to the originals, would investors really run the other way?
>>
>>48361500
It is one of discussions on R&D and sadly it seems it will be more frequent from now on. See less 'bends' of the color pie using as excuse 'flavorful'. It worries me because it will lead and converge to your idea.
>>
File: Pools_of_Becoming[1].jpg (55KB, 620x433px) Image search: [Google]
Pools_of_Becoming[1].jpg
55KB, 620x433px
>>48328492
>As time progresses each member has some shit go down in the background i.e. Garruk finally confronting and killing Liliana in one set
>Main Gatewatch crew try to figure out exactly what is happening
>Through their investigation they figure out Bolas is pulling the strings
>Find out where he is, and how to get to him, but the only way they can hunt him down is to go to Dominaria
>They reach the plane to find it semi-fixed, though still roguht with chaos after the Mending.
>As they progress to find answers and more partners to help them out, Bolas is doing more string pulling by slowly draining away at their sanity
>Chandra is the first victim, somehow convinced that pulling a Worldfire will help stop an onslaught of Slivers
>Gideon protects the rest after failing to convince her not to, but Chandra is charred to a crisp
>Gideon is next, believing that Nissa's fancy grass magic attracted all those Slivers and caused Chandra's death to begin with
>They get into a fight, and eventually Gideon goes on the chopping block after being impaled by tree bark
>Nissa is now rought with dread, slowly slipping from sanity and believing that she was the cause of Chandra's death
>Tries to "reanimate" them by using nature, mended by her will, to put life back into them by force
>Eventually killed by the not-really-reanimated part-treant part-corpse Gideon and Chandra, as her own will was shattered and convinced them to kill her
>The corpses are dealt with by Jace, and now all he has left is himself
>To avenge the death of his friends he presses on, shielding himself from Bolas' influence
>Eventually makes it to the Pools, immediately being met by Bolas face-to-face with Jace, expecting
>It becomes a blue-on-blue face-off between the two, ending in Jace being outmatched
>Weakened from the fight, Jace's will is shattered and his thoughts no longer become his own, now becoming another of Bolas' puppets
Fuck you I want to believe
>>
>>48369319
Fund it. I'd absolutely love to see this happen. But we both know it won't because the kiddos, neckbeards, /co/llected /co/mpany, and redditors love them some Marvel.
>>
>>48370596
Yeah. Damn shame they don't want to introduce any more tragic stories to the mix, outside of beloved waifus getting slain.
>>
>>48371161
Waifu slaying is anime-tier cliche, though. It works in anime still, but this is getting silly. Why keep the level of intellectual stimulation at a middle-school level when your original fanbase is all grown up?
>>
>>48371203
Because the story team is much more focused on writing about the trials, tribulations, and victories of the Gatewatch. Considering how the last two blocks were "they got together and stopped really powerful things with magic" in easily recognizable planes and the next one is on another recognizable plane which may as well have the same shit going on, there's a very good chance important, recurring characters dying for the sake of plot is on the table.

I like overarching plots and the Gatewatch thing does cover that, but they do it in a way that feels like an episodic slice of life cartoon: Everything is the same until a problem comes up, the problem gets solved, and everything goes back to normal. In this case, each block is an episode that's plot is essentially self-contained save for any sort of recursion that occurs because of last block stuff. Instead of one big arc with one big problem, they're instead dealing with big problems in small arcs. And the worst part is nothing was sacrificed to get there. Zendikar is now just magically healing thanks to Nissa. Innistrad may as well be perfectly okay now that Emrakul is trapped on the moon. Nothing is lost to get there. One second Nissa's channeling all the mana she can so Chandra can make one big spicy fireball. Next second they're all perfectly fine and still walking on their own two feet. They're only weak when the story requires it so that someone can do some dumb heroic shit to get everyone's asses out of trouble.

I'd love to be invested in the story more but there isn't much to be thrilled for when you know everyone's going to be A-okay and the good guys will end up winning once again.
>>
>>48371418
Even Ash sacrificed more when fighting Team Rocket, it feels like.

Magic was never meant to feel this NobleBright, it feels way to childish and cartoonish.
>>
>>48368900
>modern
>reserved list
>eternal format

You could have saved us all a lot of time if you'd have just said from the beginning that you had no fucking clue what you were talking about.
>>
>>48369319
This right here is why I laugh whenever someone says they could write better stories for the game than the current writing team.

This was honestly some of the worst writefaggotry I've seen on /tg/.
>>
>>48298561
RELEASE ANOTHER SET
>>
>>48371161
>tragic
>generic "slowly going insane" grimderp shitshow filled with anime-tier cliches

Grow up.
>>
File: brain_cryonics.png (556KB, 790x535px) Image search: [Google]
brain_cryonics.png
556KB, 790x535px
>>48298587
Can Volrath destroy the planewalkers
Or do we need the help of SLIVER INVASION :o
>>
>>48364695
>tfw ching chong dong longs have access to 2 different judgement clones along with triple strike and warning
I mean you don't play them all in the same deck because your goal is turn one masturbation that would make old-school Infernities proud so adding more would just increase the chances of bricking and you can just search them.
>>
>>48317662
>cards
blue and black

>mana
black and green
>>
>>48326193
>strictly better
you can't harmless offering things to yourself to keep them permanently
>>
>>48373260
It's colorshifted, you retard. He was giving examples.
>>
>>48369319
All good until madness part...
Cause fuck me that escalated quickly, jesus christ.
>>
>>48373359
But it isn't colorshifted. Cause you can't target yourself.
That's half the original card's use gone.
>>
>>48373967
t. a guy who uses donate in the weakest fucking way
>>
>>48374381
Doesn't change the fact that half of what donate does, Harmless Offering can't do.
>>
>>48374587
>half
Lol okay.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.