[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/BGG/ Board Game General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 51

File: board-games.jpg (101KB, 448x273px) Image search: [Google]
board-games.jpg
101KB, 448x273px
Board Game General: """"Classics"""" edition

Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

previous thread:
>>>48130322

>How many of the so-called classics do you own?

>How many have you played?

>How many do you still enjoy playing?
>Hardmode: No Chess or Go
>>
>>48262739
A copy of Monopoly I inherited from my parents, Risk, Scrabble, Battleship and for some reason Star Wars Trivial Pursuit

I've played all of the above plus Yahtzee

>Hardmode
Only Scrabble, which I only play with my wife because she likes it.
>>
>>48262739
Monopoly, Stratego, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Abalone, Mastermind

All of them.

Haven't played any of them in forever, so no idea.
>>
I work with kids so I end up playing stratego, sorry, and battleship occasionally. Also monopoly jr.
They're all pretty terrible games but the kids enjoy them which helps make it fun. Battleship and stratego are the best of the bunch.
>>
none

all

did anyone ever really enjoy these games? I mean the way you can enjoy games that are actually good.
>>
>>48262739
I do own a very incomplete and lacking box of Life and Cranium.

none becasue I never had the chance to until a couple of months ago.

None. I was never fond of them and now I know there's more out there even less (well cranium can be fun due sillyness and mind challenges)
>>
>>48262739
>Played/Owned "Classics"
Through the years I've owned and played Dominoes, Parcheesi, Mancala, Chess, Checkers, Yahtzee, Chinese Checkers, The Goose, Chutes and Ladders, several types of Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Life, Cluedo, Rummikub, Battleship, Mastermind, Guess Who, Bed Bugs, Operation, Trouble, Sorry, Uno, Skip Bo, Sequence, , Scrabble, Connect 4, Dungeon, several trivia games, a lot of card games (old maid, poker, canasta, bridge and so on), Pictionary and some other assorted bullcrap I can't remember ATM. Mille Bornes too.

Currently own Chess, Mancala, Go, Checkers, Dominoes, a few decks of cards, Risk, vanilla Monopoly.

>Still enjoy
A couple o' decks of cards are still the most versatile thing ever, and everyone knows or has at least heard about a few games. No one flashes you scared looks when you say you want to play a card game.
Spades, Rummy and Canasta are my favorites, and several types of solitaire.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>48262739
Got Proxima Centauri revised edition.
Fuck are these? Not on instruction book that I can see.
>>
>>48266560
Nevermind, they're turn markers, but I'm a bit confused why there's two.
>>
Has anyone here played B-Sieged? It looks like a fun game, and has some seriously nice components, but I've heard mixed things; mostly about the difficulty. I can get past a difficult game as long as it's a GOOD game, or if there's an easy house rule. I'm mostly asking because I've been interested in it for a while, and coolstuff is knocking its price down from 100 to 60, which seems like a pretty damn good deal.
>>
>>48267939
I haven't. I've got a copy of Stronghold 2nd Edition, which is similar, but pits 2 players against each other. And I haven't had a chance to play it yet sadly. Hopefully one of the other anons here has tried out B-Sieged because it looks pretty cool.
>>
File: I-have-a-clue.jpg (89KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
I-have-a-clue.jpg
89KB, 500x375px
>>48266628
>I'm a bit confused why there's two.
Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't game / live with cats. I had to email Asmodee for replacement parts for my copy of Eclipse thanks to my cats...
>>
What are your opinions on Scythe?
>>
>>48269108
Great game, but Saxony is underpowered, and the cards should be special effects and not just power.
>>
>>48262739
The Exodus: Edge of Extinction rule book says it highly recommends playing base game with base components first. I already mixed the colored components (the dice, cubes, ships, ship markers). Should I separate them, or this there no reason not to let everyone have more ships, pops, and dice in their first plays?
>>
>>48270026
On a related note, what should I do with my first edition?
>>
>>48269197
>Saxony is underpowered
You need to start fights more if you think Saxony is underpowered. Once you have your mechs you really only need to focus on fighting without reducing your popularity.
>>
>>48270940
My experience so far is a half dozen 2p games, maybe Saxony shines with more players. I know Poland likes less.
>>
>>48271092
That's probably it. Polonia can exploit more Encounter cards that way and Saxony can get between two players that are competing and either force them to lose, or cause them to win, and then get beaten by their opponent later, leaving them easy pickings.
>>
I know this might sound weird, but do you guys know of any games that can finish under 10 minutes?
>>
>>48271647
Skull can go pretty quick.
>>
>>48271647
Escape from Mummy Mansion, known to the uncreative as Loot N' Run.
>>
>>48271647
Space Alert and other 'on a timer' games take around 10 minutes I think? Or was it 20?
>>
File: KttK.jpg (253KB, 497x334px) Image search: [Google]
KttK.jpg
253KB, 497x334px
I still have my copy of 50th Anniversary Monopoly, but that's because it was a present from my charming deadbeat uncle. I'm pretty sure my parents still have our copy of Risk somewhere, and I have a second-hand copy of Key To The Kingdom
In recent years? None of them.
It might be nostalgia talking, but I kind of think Risk might not be horrible to play, provided you had objectives and kept it to 4 players or less.
>>
>>48271647
Love letter.
7 wonders my Asian sensation gang got down to 15 minutes per game.
For sale turns out to go by really quickly when people don't hm and haw over bids.
Lots of games except eight minute empire. What a load of bullshit advertising.
>>
>>48271140
I maintain that the combat cards should have special effects and not just power additives.
Maybe in the expansion.
>>
>>48267939

Was actually looking for this thread on my phone to post the exact same question.

I recall hearing someone say it had a lot of randomness that could be mitigated through skill, but that's it.
>>
>>48271647

Zombie Dice, Dungeon Roll

>>48272770

I've gotta track down that box someday. Maybe. The nostalgia is real, the components and aesthetics glorious, but man the rules were trash.
>>
>>48273892
>Dungeon Roll

Heh! I actually met the guy who designed that game while standing in an airport security line a few months back. He hosts a gaming convention in the St. Louis area, and he's got a board game collection with 800+ games in it. He was a pleasure to talk with - I'm going to have to snag a copy of Dungeon Roll one of these days.
>>
>>48271647

Escape : curse of the temple HAS to finish in under 10 mins (failure to do so means you've lost the game)

>>48273892

Dungeo Roll can take a while. I'd suggest only playing with two players. Honestly, I think it's best as a solo game.
>>
>>48262739
>>How many of the so-called classics do you own?
Not very many at all. My wife and kids have 6 or 8 (like Risk, Monopoly, etc) but I don't own / have many of the 'classics' myself.

>>How many have you played?

A very long list of the Milton Bradley / Parker Bros, etc. commercialized board games.

>>How many do you still enjoy playing?
>>Hardmode: No Chess or Go

A few, and it's more the people I'm gaming with rather than any love of the old commercial classics. There are far to many better choices for my limited gaming time and no real reason to keep playing the tired old 'classics'. Back in the 70's and early 80's there weren't a lot of alternatives besides 'Hex & Chit' war games. These days one can hardly do a web search without coming up with loads of better alternatives than Monopoly, or Yahtzee. Life is short, why play poorly designed games?
>>
>there are people here who haven't backed this
>>
>>48276366

>look up pics of layout
>what amounts to a field of data, symbols, and numbers
>ugly and dry as fekk

No thanks brev
>>
I recently bought Mage Knight and been having fun with it.

Wondering what should i get next for solo gampelay... i am considering either Pathfinders adventure card game or The Lord of the rings.

Which one do you guys recommend?
>>
>>48278032
No experience with LotR, but for pathfinder you're probably better off with the app, which is good for a few hours until you get bored of not having a lot in the way of interesting decisions to make.
>>
>>48278032
If you search board game geek for listing of solo games you can find several good threads on the topic.

I haven't played LotR or PF myself, but I have some solo game suggestions you might like.

Xenoshyft - Sci-fi deck building / drafting game. (also has an app on steam)
The Hunters (WW II Sub commander - try and survive)
Gears of War (co-op game that easily lends itself to solo play).
Nations (Empire building - solo / competative multiplayer game)
Archipelago (Colony building game) has a solo expansion but I haven't tried it yet myself.
Sentinels of the Multiverse (Superhero card game) can easily be played solo.
>>
So, last week, my copy of Wizard's Academy came in the mail, and it's a blast. The rules make it seem very daunting, but that's because they list every single interaction that could possibly happen, and while actually playing the game almost all interactions between threats were perfectly clear.

Our first game went like this:
>Suzie and Smiley have to conjure up Guardians at the corners of the academy.
>Very early, we have a flood in the upper right corner, Mana Crystal is eating miscellaneous floods and fires left and right.
>Only way to the glyphs that are actually good is through the water.
>Drown myself while getting a glyph, just one mana left on the crystal.
>Finally, we're able to vaporize the water.
>Get staffs of Teleport Self.
>Use the rest of the flood to keep an inferno in a non-essential part of the academy.
>Find the Guardian spell and close the game by teleporting into a burning room, getting the glyph, teleporting out and placing a Guardian on the next turn.

Great game, can't wait to play it again.
>>
>>48278486

>App

Is the app the exact same as the card game? i have heard decent reviews online.

>>48279167

Interesting games, i am just getting into it (board games) and all i know its from youtube chanels. I have never seen any of those been mentioned.

Which is cool since i have more oprions. The Hunters sounds especially neat since i dont know any other solo board games with a WWI theme.

Thanks.
>>
>>48279604
If you check out the 'pastebin' link in the post at the top of the thread, you'll find a list of resources including online game reviewers via Youtube, and links to discount online game stores.

There are other WW II solo games other there, and I've seen a few 'print-n-play' games you print out for yourself (I just don't have any examples handy). There's a long out of print 'Avalon Hill' game called 'Raid on St. Nazaire' which is excellent. I got a mint copy at a reasonable price off of Ebay 4 or 5 months ago. So you might check that out.

TwoHourWargames also has a game called NUTS that can be played solo as well.
>>
>>48271853
Space Alert's first phase is ~10 but the resolution phase takes another 10. Also explaining it takes like 25. Games that you can actually complete in ten or under would be the One Night series and Escape: Curse of the Hidden Temple
>>
No dying on my watch soldier!
>>
File: castle assault.jpg (96KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
castle assault.jpg
96KB, 680x383px
Anyone backing the castle assault expansion kickstarter? I backed the original game a year or two ago, it's a pretty fun game. My friends and I have played it a decent amount. Not a must have but it's pretty unique and I'm glad it's getting an expansion, which is pretty cheap.

Don't mean to shill for it. I just don't think anyone really knows about it and it's a pretty fun and somewhat unique game.
>>
>>48283057
What's the core game play like? I've got Stronghold 2nd edition, but that doesn't mean I can't add more...
>>
>>48273115
I feel that would make it much more Ameritrashy. As it is it's another resource you can coordinate. Maybe if each nation had a specific Combat Card trading ability, but that could also stack the odds.
>>
>>48283127
I think the game styles itself as a competitve tower defense, which I think is only sort of accurate, and doesnt fully do it justice.

basically, there are 3 lanes in between 2 castles which are owned by either player. each player chooses whats called a warband (basically, a faction deck) and plays cards each turn from their hand into one of the 3 lanes,which 90% of the time are units. There's a small handful of sorcery cards or buff cards, whatever you'd want to call them, but your decks are mostly units.

each turn, all the units on the board HAVE to move forward down whatever lane they're in the number of spaces equal to their movement. additionally as an action on your turn you can "charge" a unit and move them down a number of spaces equal to a d6 roll. anytime 2 opposing units meet, they instantly start to fight until one of them dies, or they deal combat damage i think twice and niether of them die. in which case they resume fighting next turn.

you pretty much just keep going back and forth like this until eventually one of you gets some uinits to the opposing castle and deals 10 damage to it. it's honestly a pretty simple game, but the unit variety is really great. there's a lot of special abilities, varied stats, etc. some units will buff the lane they're in, or others can call units into lanes next to them. some of my favorites have 0 movement but a good range attack, so they aren't forced to move if they dont want to and can sit in a lane picking off attackers.

The resource system is also pretty cool. each card has a cost, but instead of having mana or something like that, every turn you can play one card in your hand face down into a resource pool, and those are what you tap to use your cards. there's 2 copies of every card in your (i think 34 card) deck, so you know you can get another copy if you put something down, but it adds an interesting element.

all in all, its not AMAZING MUST HAVE, but its a lot of fun. i recommend it
>>
>>48271647
My idea of a quickie if I'm doing a boardgame is running some Liar's Dice.

If you have lots of people, just do a single round variation.

Drinking game variations are fun too.

LIAR'S DICE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piGg5ZrmoQA
>>
>>48283195
You're absolutely correct.
I guess I'm just sad I can never get Rex to my table.
>>
Started a new campaign of Arcadia Quest tonight with a new group. Hopeful that this group actually follows through. Had a good time, didn't win, but got most gold which is the real victory

Also played something tonight that I think Minifig would appreciate: Hogwarts: House Cup Challenge. My friend's girlfriend gifted it to him. She paid $40 for a game in shrink that can go for well over a hundred used. It was "ding and dent" with a piece of the wrap undone

As for the game itself, it was sort of interesting to try to plan out my moves. Probably wouldn't seek it out again, but my time with it wasn't that bad. It deserves a better BGG score, but not by that much
>>
My friends adore Love Letter, Rhino Hero, and Loot N' Run, which are the only three minigames I have. Any other good minigames? I've had my eye on Animal Upon Animal for a while.
>>
>>48286030
Skull
>>
>>48285911
>Arcadia Quest

Fuck yeah, Arcadia Quest. I fucking love that game.
>>
File: Scythe.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Scythe.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>48262739
Tense game. Won as the Vikings, 64-61. Probably would have done a lot better without an abortive attempt at the "become a despised warmonger" objective.
>>
File: Stronghold board.jpg (766KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
Stronghold board.jpg
766KB, 1152x768px
>>48283416
Thanks for the description, sounds interesting and very different from Stronghold. In Stronghold the idea is one plays as each role - attacker and defender. The defender and attacker have general troop units and specials as well as equipment cards (siege weapons, traps, etc) The idea is the defender has to hold out X number of turns in order to win while the attacker wants to breach the defenses and take the stronghold as fast as possible. Then roles are switched and the former defender wants to take the stronghold faster than the other player did as the attacker. I like the fact that each player tries their hand at both roles.
>>
>>48286030
For Sale, No thanks!, Incan Gold, and Skull should all fit the bill as being super simple to explain, and over in 10-20 minutes.
>>
File: Coup card game1.jpg (193KB, 1024x728px) Image search: [Google]
Coup card game1.jpg
193KB, 1024x728px
>>48286030
Coup / Coup G54 are simple and very quick bluffing card games.
>>
>>48278486

>which is good for a few hours until you get bored of not having a lot in the way of interesting decisions to make.

Yep, thanks for helping me doge the bullet there.

The game is just too simple, and relies 90% on luck. Once you figure it out, you juts have to sit and pray the dice helps you. Besides deck building there is no real choice.
>>
>>48286030
Las Vegas gets very little praise here, but it's totally worth it. Really brings out the gambler in you. Also pure luck is a bonerkiller for some.
Bang! Dice game is a blast, a real must have, unless you hated playing cowboys and indians as a kid.
Saboteur + expansion plays in 20 mins and has some really nice player interaction. Needs 6+ players to shine.
The Resistance/Secret Hitler for more hidden role paranoia.
>>
>>48290360
Depending on his player count I would recommend Resistance for 5-6, but Secret Hitler works fine with just about any number.
>>
Snagged brood war expansion for about 63 bucks at a local half priced books. Good deal?
>>
>>48292068
If you already have Star Craft, great. That isn't the most outrageous price I've seen for the Brood Wars Expansion. But if you don't have the base game already....
>>
>>48292068
New in shrink? Very good deal indeed.
Secondhand? Those vary a lot, neither the worst or best you could do for yourself, depends a lot on the condition of it all.
>>
>>48287218
Surely you mean Polonia won this game?

Also
>no factory stars
>nobody controls The Factory space

wtf happened this game?
>>
>>48278032
LotR:LCG is FFG's best LCG. If you like difficult solo games, play that.
>>
>>48292750

Yeah, already have. Seems a bit retarded to get an expansion without the base, lol

>>48292998

Appears in used but good condition. Haven't gotten home to look inside yet
>>
>>48293531
Best co-op LCG, maybe.
Yeah, Netrunner's been in a bit of a meta funk recently, but I still think it's the best of them.
>>
>Factory stars
Wait, what? You only get stars for Upgrades, Mechs, Buildings, Enlistments, Workers, Objectives, Combats, Popularity and Power, as the track shows.
>>
>>48287218
>Polonia at 52, Nordic at 39-40ish before bonuses and preexisting coins

From what it looks like, Polonia scored 9 extra for their buildings and Nordic should've gotten 6, so that's still doesn't account. Did you have fucking 18 coins onhand??
>>
>>48295118
>Did you have fucking 18 coins onhand??
Yes.
>>
>>48293531
I really do adore this game. I find it amazing just how strong the feeling of delving into middle earth it creates as a card game.

Every cycle rejeuvenates dud cards from even the first releases and creates such a plethora of new deck concepts, it's great.
>>
>>48291235
>>48290360
>>48289109
>>48286040
>>48289214
Thanks froods.

>>48289760
>doge the bullet
>>
>>48289760
I swear, the only thing Paizo have done right is reprint The Totally Renamed Spy Game and a bunch of old sci-fi novels
>>
>>48269108
A good worker placement/Euro game with some basic combat to keep things interesting and ridiculously high production value, although it seems to be balanced around five player games. I don't regret my purchase.
>>
>>48297695
It seems to be like Rex to me, where they should have added suggestions that people use a certain faction pool at certain player counts, like for 1p use Poland, add Russia at 2p, add Norway at 3p, Crimea at 4p, and Saxony at 5p.
>>
>>48297807
Crimea's great fun at low player counts due to Wayfare.
>>
>>48297893
Yeah, I was thinking that, maybe add Crimea at 2p, Saxony to 4p, and 5p is just 5p.
>>
>>48297935
Now that I think about it though, Saxony is EXTREMELY mobile, which could help them at lower player counts. Maybe
>although it seems to be balanced around five player games
is just full of shit.
>>
I'm an aspiring board game reviewer. Which of these games should I make a review of first?

>Scythe
>Food Chain Magnate
>Terra Mystica + Fire and Ice Expansion
>The Gallerist
>Above and Below
>>
>>48293531
>LotR:LCG

Yeah i think i am going for it. Probably will buy it tomorrow morning if i dont see anything that catches my eye before.

Thanks!
>>
>>48298203
Whichever has the most hits on Google for this month, and whichever seems less reviewed, put the vids out simultaneously.
>>
>>48271647
A lot of games played with Icehouse pieces run under 10 minutes. Off the top of my head: Treehouse, Ice Towers, Ice Dice, Twin Win. Only a few of them take a lot longer than ten minutes.
>>
>>48298203
If you have a particular objective you want to complete by becoming a reviewer (SUSD goes for 'accessible to newbies' as an example), then whichever completes that objective first. Having a clear goal on how you want to do your videos also helps viewers "assign" you somewhere when they look for reviews (Dice Tower rules explanation is super short, Watch it Played has long and detailed explanations).

Personally I'd say go with Above and Below, as its the least daunting of the 5 you posted, and you're less likely to miss any smaller nuances.
>>
>>48298997
In terms of objective, I'd like for my reviews to encourage people to take the "next step" in board gaming, a step beyond gateway if you will. I will say that SUSD is a big inspiration for me. It comes from my own frustration of being unable to find people my age to play hard eurogames with.
>>
File: The Hand.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
The Hand.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
Anyone here played Kingdom Death?
>>
>>48299157
Also before you call me out on being underage, I'm going to be 20 in a month.
>>
>>48299285
Underdrinkingaaaage

>>48299157
Finding a way to make heavier games appealing to relatively casual players would probably be best, especially for those around their 20s. Above and Below still seems the most appealing due to the story mechanic, Scythe might also be one unless they can get disappointed since they won't use the mechs that much.
>>
>>48292068
Even used, I'd say it's a pretty good deal, they go for >$100 on eBay and BGG market
>>
>>48299239
Yep. And I own most of the xpacs.

What do you wanna know my dude?
>>
>>48298203
>I'm an aspiring board game reviewer.

Please just don't.
Seriously.
Fuck off already. Nobody is interested in your squeaky-voiced, neck-bearded, mouth-breathing opinion on the latest releases or anything else. Your opinion has no value and it is utterly fucking insulting for you to even attempt to inflict it on anyone.
>>
>>48300229
Wow dude take your dad's dick out of your ass, you sound offended.
>>
>>48300311

I AM offended.
Because your attitude is offensive.
>>
>>48300174

Which of the expansions is the most worthwhile?

My group is up to year 14 on the base game, and the Watcher is starting to look awfully close. Just wondering what's the most worth getting.
>>
>>48298203

Scythe. It's what I keep hearing the most about and know the least of.
>>
>>48300338
Buddy it's okay, the police will help you if you tell them your dad's been knuckledeep in your fart box.
>>
>>48300402
>knuckledeep in your fart box.

Toppest of keks.
>>
>>48300402
>>48300470

Oh, samefag...

I would suggest suicide, but any life you lead will be far worse than any hell you could end up in.
>>
>>48300132

Checked the insides not too long ago. Everything is unpunched, no wear, basically brand new
>>
File: daddyfondler.png (18KB, 785x329px) Image search: [Google]
daddyfondler.png
18KB, 785x329px
>>48300601
>being this wrong
>>
>>48300601
Dude just cum already, you're literally edging right now.
>>
>>48300382
Lion God, Lonely Tree are garbage and aren't worth $2.

Sunstalker is kinda meh.

The Dragon (which is sold out) is fucking gigantic and gorgeous and probably has the most stuff. 1 Quarry, 1 Nemesis, alternative campaign that isn't shitty like the sunstalker one, and good gear.

The best ones are probably the Knights. DBK brings a lot of stuff since you get Farming with him.
Flower Knight is kinda cool but I feel he's a lot like the Butcher with lots of bleed effects and impervious hit locations.
Lion Knight is just nifty, gives you armour combo cards which are cool and has a very unique encounter which is interesting.

Gorm is alright but Gorm Climate is ehhhh. I would suggest just slotting the Gorm into a campaign instead of fucking yourself with a cactus trying to play around Gorm Climate.

Spidicules is alright. Gives you a lot of ways to mitigate more serious injuries. He's expensive, but the model is fat. The interesting part of his fight is that he spawns hordes of spiderlings while running away to swarm your dudes (we lost 2 the first time we fought him) so if you're more into fatty monsters and beatdowns he may not be your thing.

Slenderman is nifty, has a lot of cool stuff and an interesting fight where he disappears and teleports around.

Manhunter is kinda neat but kinda boring until you hit at least level 2-3 since that's when he gets his "Traps" which are pretty much impervious hit locations that fuck you back. He does have some cool gear though (even if there's only 4-5 of them..) and he's needed to make the ultimate KD Doctor build. He also gives you a one-shot gun if you beat the level 3 version.

Also Green Knight Armour is sick, even if you only make one piece in a campaign. I love the unique recipes, they're very cool.
>>
>>48300802

Next time The Dragon becomes available, I'll probably spring out for that one.

Got any good tips or suggestions for playing? So far my group is determined to spam Augury and try and get as many Intimacy events as possible, literally talking a fucking meat-grinder approach.
>>
>>48300920
I've been doing insanely well in my current run but it's mostly due to good dice rolls. In a game where 1-3 at any point in time could potentially kill you, rolling high is really the only thing that saves you consistently.

I've been having a huge amount of success with a Fury Potion. Basically I have one dude who runs in, drinks it (it doesn't go away when you use it so you can keep it for the next showdown) and starts wailing out 3-4 attacks per round.
1 Dude has a full Rawhide set as the ability to shuffle the AI card order even if it's only 2 cards is SUPER strong. He also carries a Lion Harp which let's him discard mood cards so he's basically the "Monster Manager".

Asides from that, (if you're running the flower knight) get "Otherworldy Luck" on someone as soon as you can by any way possible. It's probably the best and most versatile "Fighting Art" in the game as it let's you add +1 to any Hunt/Settlement phase roll. Which WILL save your ass over and over. I got it as a lucky draw on a random Fighting Art thing and it is really amazing.

I'll add more but I gotta eat dinner here so give me a hour or so.
>>
>>48300229
You seem triggered by something. Care to talk about it?

But it's okay. I already know I won't be getting much money or recognition out of the experience.
>>
>>48293892
While I do really love Netrunner, I just think the LCG model works best for LotR:LCG and has the best design team currently. The slow release for Netrunner packs makes the meta super weird and MWL plus some of the erratas, while necessary, are kind of annoying to deal with.

But yes, Netrunner is FFGs best "competitive" LCG offering.
>>
>>48301018
>+1 to any Hunt/Settlement phase roll.

Does that stack if you have multiple survivors with it? Because if it does, get the Records innovation and start teaching everyone that.

Our current A-Team consists of:

An ageless katar master with the Timeless Eye, Combo Master and Mighty Strike combo. His movement is up to 9 at this point, so we've got him decked out with the Phoenix armour. With the twin katars and blood paint, as well as his speed bonus, he's throwing out 10 attacks a turn. We've got him with the Blue Charm that cancels traps too, though it's not perfect.

Our second go-to is our Quixotic, Immortal, Thrill Seeker wearing rawhide. The dude practically shits out insanity and survival. He's out tank at the moment, because every time he uses survival he has a 50% chance of actually generating 1 instead of spending 1. I can't remember the exact combo but it's basically:

- Every time you gain survival, gain insanity.
- Every time you gain survival, gain an additional point of survival
- Every time you spend survival, on a 6+ gain survival.

And our third is a Blue Saviour with Ageless who has had her XP reset twice thanks to records and the Phoenix. She's at +7 to her luck now. Criticals like a mother fucker, all day everyday.

We usually only take one of them on any given hunt because the group has grown massively attached. The moment one of these fuckers dies, it's going to break hearts.
>>
>>48301119
>Does that stack if you have multiple survivors with it? Because if it does, get the Records innovation and start teaching everyone that.
As far as I know, it does indeed. It's VERY strong. The only problem being it eats one of your Fighting Art slots.

If you don't have a Twilight Swordsman you may want to work on building one. But it looks like you'll be relatively fine, you have some very strong skill combos. Ageless Saviors and Immortals of most any kind are pretty mint and The Watcher isn't actually very hard to kill.

I'd have to check my box to see what my guys have but I'm only on I think year 7 or 8 so far on this run.
>>
>>48301337

The swordsmen looks alright, but his limited lifespan is a turn off for the players. By the time he gets good, he's got...what, three more fights before he fucks off to the darkness? And there's no innovation bonus for mastering the twilight sword?

Being able to hit on 2+ is great and all, but by the time you reach that level it doesn't seem like a massively worthwhile investment. On paper the Rainbow Katana with the Bloodsheath is a better choice.

>As far as I know, it does indeed.

Then holy fuck man, give it to every survivor who doesn't have a full kit. You'll be unstoppable.
>>
>>48301405
You have to have him peak at the right time. I have one but I'm debating on what to do with her.

Doesn't it also give you +10 str or whatever? I have to check my cards I can't remember shit.

>Then holy fuck man, give it to every survivor who doesn't have a full kit. You'll be unstoppable.
Yea, it's just to bad you have to pump a ton of innovations into it. We've also rolled horribly on it multiple times which pushed the Watcher out to year 30 but still (5 1s in a row over two settlement phases or something ridiculous which was preferable to having good survivors skip on the hunt).
>>
>>48301563
>Watcher out to year 30 but still

Ouch. Our Watcher is waiting for us at year 22. Hoping we can bring it down a little more. After we drop it, we'll be spamming the Phoenix in the hopes we get a time-reset.

>Doesn't it also give you +10 str or whatever? I have to check my cards I can't remember shit.

Maybe? Not sure. When you start getting to needing +10 Str against your opponents, your better off investing in luck.

A Blue Saviour with Bow Mastery and who has aged four times will always wound on a 4+ regardless of what you're fighting, and it'll be criticals.

Throw in a lucky charm, and if you were lucky enough to get the +1 Luck at the Lucky Elder age and that goes down to 2+ Criticals.
>>
>>48301088
>You seem triggered by something. Care to talk about it?

I hate Tom Vasel with the burning rage of a billion suns.
>>
>>48301697
So do I.
>>
>>48301697
>>48301769
His production values and opinions are shit.
I keep Proxima Centauri in the expansion box because the main box has "dice tower approved" on it.
>>
>>48298997
>SUSD goes for 'accessible to newbies' as an example)
They reviewed fucking Archipelago.
>>
>>48303426
They also reviewed Terra Mystica, Mage Knight, and TI3. Setting a goal doesn't mean you shouldn't go for outliers if they're good.
>>
THERE'S AN EVIL DEAD 2 GAME ?
IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT
I DONT CARE
I'M BACKING IT.
>>
File: pic2918122.jpg (790KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pic2918122.jpg
790KB, 1200x1200px
I keep checking for info on this and there is always nothing... feels bad man. Anyone else looking forward to it? I've also never played Robinson cruso but I hear great things. Thought?
>>
File: P7160002.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P7160002.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
Rate my taste, /tg/
>>
>>48303905

Not a single game I want to play/10

It's alright though.
>>
>>48303905
Clean your room/10
>>
>>48303905
Newfriend/10

Buy more games.
>>
File: P7060741.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P7060741.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>48304325
>>48303917
Please do recommend what better games I should be playing.

I buy these things mainly to bond with my girlfriend, and she can't really handle games that are too heavy.

The heaviest looking game we've played and enjoyed was Lords of Waterdeep and its expansion.
>>
>>48303905
>toilet brush
I see you're ready to clean out that shit. Now do it.

Also what's the moonspeak box?
>>
File: christmas-story.jpg (82KB, 796x1000px) Image search: [Google]
christmas-story.jpg
82KB, 796x1000px
>>48303905
That French game, "Fragiley - Handle with Care", seems kind of sketchy. Otherwise, I'm a fan of 7 Wonders / Duel / and Splendor. And Death Angel is supposed to be good though I haven't played it myself. As for Magic the Wallet Draining, I sold off my collection as I hadn't played in many many years.
>>
File: gf games v3.png (3MB, 1878x1672px) Image search: [Google]
gf games v3.png
3MB, 1878x1672px
>>48304539
>Please do recommend what better games I should be playing.
>I buy these things mainly to bond with my girlfriend, and she can't really handle games that are too heavy.

Funny you should ask that. There may be a newer version of this image, but this is the most recent one I have.
>>
>>48304601
Seconding Takenoko, bitches love panda!

Another recommend would be Cacao (which I don't see in the image, maybe it's in later version).
>>
>>48304634
Looks like I do have the 'Casual Suggestions' version of this image (renamed because some Anon was butthurt over the 'wife/girlfriend' implications. And it's got the same list with no Cacao. But it might well be a worthy addition.
>>
>>48304684
Well, I'm not sure consensus of 2 people justifies adding Cacao, maybe let's wait for another voice?

Anynone?
>>
>>48304539

Five Tribes - tested yesterday and it's amazing
Kingdom Builder - easy german game but endless fun, your girtlfriend can get into it but it's not a fun 2 people game
>>
File: Five Tribes 01.jpg (144KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Five Tribes 01.jpg
144KB, 500x500px
>>48304762
>Five Tribes - tested yesterday and it's amazing

Seconding Five Tribes - I don't get this to the table nearly often enough.
>>
File: P5290758.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P5290758.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>48304762
>Five Tribes - tested yesterday and it's amazing

We tried that once. Both of us were completely confused about what we should be doing. Maybe the hundreds of meeples scattered on the board gave us too many choices.

It wasn't exactly clear what we were trying to accomplish in the game, too...
>>
>>48304855
It does have a learning curve, but after a couple games it all clicks into place and you don't even have to look at the rulebook anymore, the icon designs are pretty self explanatory.
>>
>>48304539

When I said "not a single game I want to play" it's more of a reflexion on my own tastes than yours.

In regards of "light games you can play with your gf..." I can't recommand much, but I had great success introducing people to escape curse of the temple, Ascension, Pandemic and Survivre : Escape from Atlantis.
>>
>>48304539
It's a lot like buttsecks. You ease her gently into it, tease her with slightly heavier stuff, til she's feeling trusting and comfortable...

Then you ram her ass suddenly with Advanced Squad Leader
>>
>>48304855

Get on youtube. Find a series called 'Tabletop' with Wil Wheaton. Watch a few episodes of that with your missus. Find games that look fun to play. Play them.
>>
>>48304855
I'd agree with Anon >>48305002 that Youtube is a good place to start. (That said I just can't into Wil Wheaton - I find his stuff just painfully unappealing to watch.) Want you want are videos on how to play Five Tribes for example. You can research lots of potential new games this way fairly easily.

**People / Groups who review board games online:

Tom Vassal / Dice Tower / Miami Dice
Shut up & Sit Down
Rahdo
Ricky Royal from 'Box of Delights'
Rodney Smith (Watch It Played)
Board with Life? / Moonrat Media
Joel Eddy's Drive-thru reviews
Board game brawl
Crits Happen
Lance Myxter's (UndeadViking) reviews
GreyElephantGames
GAMEBOARD
Nick Sibicky
Rab Florence
Board Game Geek TV (boardgamegeektv)
Board Game Closet
Gregory Cornell
The Game boy geek (www.gameboygeek.com)
Paul Darcy
Drive Through Review

Rodney Smith's 10 minute 'how to play' video on Five Tribes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfvDro2ecFw

Or 'Rahdo's Runs through it' video which is also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJVAyxXXT4A

You'll find your favorite reviewers on your own obviously.
>>
>>48305142

I can't stand Rahdo reviews.
He's on full ramble mode every second of every single one of his damn videos.
He's a nice guy, he's got some nice insights on the games, he likes EVERYTHING he plays (which I find odd), a nice clear voice, easy to understand... but goddamnit, can't he just pause for two seconds?

Rahdo is like a gaming hamster on amphetamines.
>>
>>48305282
>Rahdo is like a gaming hamster on amphetamines.

I can't argue with that. I like his videos as he does go at it with enthusiasm, but I can easily see where 'non-stop' could be unappealing to some folks. I not saying that people are wrong for example to like Wil Wheaton, I just find his videos spend to much time trying to be 'cute' without actually covering the game itself. For me they come of like "Look at me! I'm playing a cool game (often badly) with 'cool people'. Woohoo - go me!"
>>
>>48304721
It's definitely not a bad game, but I was trying to limit each group to 5 games, and I'm not sure I'd knock any of the Euros out for it; the chart's already starting to get too big compared to the v1.
>>
>>48303876
I am in the same position. I was waiting for the portal version if RC in september, but this could potentially be more appealing to me. Hope to see more info on it.
>>
>>48305551
I'm thinking of making sort of a category specific image for Euros, Deckbuilders, etc since we seem to get questions about specific ones fairly often. I
>>
>>48303876
Game looks interesting (other than the image being backwards - note the flag and NASA logos). I'm a fan of Robinson Crueso - but it can be punishing and definitely requires team work. A few wrong moves or some bad weather can wreck one's plans pretty quickly.
>>
>>48305326
>spends to much time trying to be an insufferable, condescending, self-aggrandizing, lolsorandumb, untalented has-been normalfag without actually covering the game itself

fix'd
>>
File: tired pepe.png (267KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
tired pepe.png
267KB, 420x420px
Does anyone knows a good store in Miami? GPS throws nothing, but i know there are a couple.
>>
>>48306220
CSI has a couple stores there, check their website fo rthe adresses
>>
>>48306319

Found it, thanks anon.
>>
Anybody have pics of the Cthulhu Wars maps?
>>
You fine fellows have gaming sessions planned for today?
My regular gaming group is not available and the only option I have is to try and trick a group of drunken casuals at a pool party into playing some light shit. These friends really don't like games disrupting their social drinking, and I'm too much of a weirdo to enjoy myself in those kind of parties, gaming is my social interaction buffer.
Help an awkward anon get a game on the table please?
>>
>>48306451
I would like this too.
I bought the Yuggoth map and I may buy the dreamlands map in the future, but I can't afford to nor do I want to drop 50 bucks on the primeval map.
>>
File: 10061.jpg (22KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
10061.jpg
22KB, 600x580px
I'm trying to find translucent pawns in bulk, or at least in packs of 10 in various colors. The only ones I can find are replacement pawns for 'Sorry!' and 'Pretty pretty princess' but they don't suit my needs. I can only find opaque "Halma" style pawns in bulk and they seem to be factory new. Is there just no market for translucent ones?
>>
>>48309078
Never seen translucent pawns. I can't imagine there would be a huge demand for them, considering it's cheaper to do solid plastic or wood.
>>
>>48308316
Isn't there a Primeval map image included in the PBF files on boardgamegeek?
>>
File: Marvel Lgendary.jpg (95KB, 499x285px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Lgendary.jpg
95KB, 499x285px
Any thoughts on Marvel Legendary? Seems really fun.
>>
>>48309078
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts/avatar-green

Not exactly a traditional shape, but they're translucent.
>>
>>48303260
How do you feel about Sam and Zee?
>>
>>48309209
Not that anon. Zee is cool. Sam's too full of himself.
>>
>>48306220
>literally have some of the best stores on the planet in your town
>Internet pls halp I cannot
You make me sad.
>>
>>48309078

Try craft stores for some kind of substitute.
Alternatively, lathe your own out of acrylic.
>>
>>48309185
I played the Villains version once with the full seven players; pretty hard, but fun.
>>
File: pepestatr.gif (924KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
pepestatr.gif
924KB, 500x281px
>>48309912

Nigga i just moved here and i dont play too much board games by that matter.

Just getting into it, but i hate buying from Amazon.
>>
>>48301695
Oh my sweet summer child, you do not know what awaits you with the exhausted lantern horde. You won't be able to spam the phoenix after beating the watcher.
>>
>>48309185
Wife and I love it. Setup is forever long and there's not huge interaction between players in the base box but once you're up and going it's really spot on. The theme and simple nature of deck building makes it accessible to normies too
>>
>>48310640
As you should, anon, Amazon's shit compared to coolstuff, their catalog is fucking massive.

Whatcha got, by the way? Need reccommendations?
>>
>>48304574
トレーディングマスコットチャーム
>>
>>48312630

> Need recommendations?

Yeah actually i am looking for good solo games. I heard Marvels's Legendary and Robisons course are pretty neat games. So far i only have Mage Knight.

Ill take any recommendation.
>>
>>48315554
GMT's COIN games can be played solo, and are good, but not sure if they're good solo.
>>
Most. 1980s Clue, Battleship, Risk, Munchkin, etc...

All probably.

Most. I can't stand battleship anymore.

>>
>>48315554
Friday is a good pure solo game.
Most coops and some dungeoncrawls can be played solo, Pandemic Gears of War and LotR LCG come to mind
Uwe Rosenberg likes to add solo rules to his games. Agricola, Le Havre, Ora et Labora, etc...
Viticulture Essential has a fun AI deck to play against, simple, but very challenging
I haven't played this one, but Zee Garcia has said Onirim is a great solo card game.
Some deckbuilders are also good solo, I have Thunderstone Advance, and I think I like it better than a 2 player game. Legendary too.
Need to read the rulebook a few more times before I try a solo CO2 game. It's supposed to be good if you adjust the carbon emissions to make it more challenging
Neuroshima Hex 3.0 has a puzzle deck with 50+ challenges. I'm about halfway through, they're good brain joggers.
>>
File: 1418027467084.jpg (6KB, 174x192px) Image search: [Google]
1418027467084.jpg
6KB, 174x192px
>>48309141
That's what I'm afraid off. Oh well, thanks.

>>48309193
Interesting, I'll definitely consider these. Thank you.

>>48309963
Good idea, thanks.
>>
>>48309963
Is it possible to grind them from frosted glass?
>>
File: 140994639622.jpg (7KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
140994639622.jpg
7KB, 220x220px
>>48318142
Maybe. But in either way, you may as well use clear glass, since the diffuse effect is just on the outside layer(rough surface that spreads the light).
>>
>>48262739
Only Risk.

One. It surprising gets good if you alternate phases and fight only in the Americas.
>>
>>48311422

How much trouble are we in once we drop the Watcher?
>>
File: Uatu.png (53KB, 300x202px) Image search: [Google]
Uatu.png
53KB, 300x202px
>>48318917
I'd be impressed to see him go down
but serioulsy, I have no idea
>>
>>48312630
>tfw live in UK, so have to use Amazon most times just so I don't get fucked over by shipping
>>
>>48309078
>>48318111
There are these - they're cubes and only 8mm but they are translucent if that'll help...

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/translucent-plastic-cubes-8-mm
>>
File: timestories.png (2MB, 2134x2137px) Image search: [Google]
timestories.png
2MB, 2134x2137px
Lots of spoilers to follow

So I finally got my group together for under the mask. Seriously don't open these if you plan to play any of the modules up to UTM and have not.

Are we the baddies? I feel that we and the Syaans are working towards a similar goal and that the Elos are the true enemy.

Did the time agents teach the Syaans/Elos to time travel? I mean we know from the QR code webpage that we the agent left the ITD in the tomb of King Tut.

Did you get all the cubes? We so far have all of them thanks to my group having a collect everything rule.

What is the goal of the Agency? Honestly besides "Fixing temporal anomalies and other factions word what do we know? So far I've not found anything decisive
>>
Newfag here.

Are there any more good games with card drafting mechanics out there?

Not necessarily like the ones in this >>48304601 image. Ones with other mechanics too, these ones all just seem like draft cards, get points, that's it.

I'm looking for something like magic lite mode, where the drafting is a fun prelude to the actual game, but without the constant wallet rape of buying boosters.

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear.
>>
>>48324926
Epic the card game has most of the mechanics ripped from magic and is designed for drafting. It's cheap as dirt aswell.
>>
>>48324952
Looks pretty neat, will look into it. Anything else where the theme's not monsters beating each other up?

Oh, should mention, I'd like something good for 2 players.
>>
>>48325527
Android - Netrunner. They have lots of expansions and boosters, but you can pick and choose (they all have the exact same cards - none of the 'rares' buy a gorillion packs bullshit), and the base game is reasonable without anything else. There's also 7 Wonders Duel which is good too.
>>
>>48325697
Does Net Runner have a draft or cube version? Other then that net runner is amazing and I'd highly suggest anon get it as well.
>>
>>48325803
There are draft packs available for it, but I've never tried any so I can't comment as to their quality. I believe they still require you to own a base set but can be reused over and over.
>>
>>48325803
They do have some competitive drafting stuff out there but I've never used it myself. There are Netrunner General threads here fairly regularly and you can get more info there.
>>
Getting my shit pushed by easy bots in Small World 2. I don't get what people think is so great about this game.
>>
>>48262739
Any difference between Dominant Species 3rd and 4th edition? CSI has 3rd for 53 and Amazon has 4th for 80, so this is important.
>>
>>48330859
It' should be the same edition (currently 3d), but a different printing (4th). Components and art should be the same.
>>
In Scythe, why is Polonia's special ability "Meander"? What's the thematic reason for that? Poles fuck around for too long at social gatherings?
>>
>>48333576
Basically, and because they stick around they have more opportunity for an encounter.
>>
Guys, I think my mum might be mentally retarded, we tried to play Love Letter with her and my dad last night, I play the prince, tell her to discard her hand and draw a new hand, she gives me a look like I just said the most complex thing in the world, had to spend like 2 minutes explaining to her.
>>
>>48334455
Most playing card games have no concept of "discard", you just play. Older people are much more set in their ways.
>>
I have a question about board game etiquette.

If you're playing a game with three people or more, and the randomised board state and your options for a starting position (it was Catan) make it obvious that you stand no chance of winning or really threatening any of the other players, can you be faulted for being too visibly annoyed or bored?

I'm having a little trouble understanding why I'm 'ruining the game' by not forcing myself to smile while I spend an hour and a half really just watching other people play. I paid attention to the game and made sensible, non-trolling moves during my turns. Isn't that enough?
>>
>>48334881
Please describe to me a situation in Catan or whatever other game you played where there's absolutely zero chance of winning right from the get-go?

Instead of being a defeatist bitch because you were dealt a shitty hand, why don't you view it as an opportunity to prove yourself or try non-conventional tactics? Try to overcome the challenge, probably lose anyway, but still feel better than if you had just instantly given up like a child?
>>
>>48334881
Also, even if you can't win, you can still interact with the other players and talk about the game. It's a social gathering after all, you're playing with other people and not AIs just planted there for your benefit. Did you really just slump back and start pouting?
>>
>>48334955
>Please describe to me a situation in Catan or whatever other game you played where there's absolutely zero chance of winning right from the get-go?
Having to forfeit either wood or grain when playing Cities & Knights. Either don't build shit or fuck your first city when the barbarians come, locking you out of the commodities and progress cards section of the game.

Is the chance of winning absolutely zero? No, the game has a random element. But the chances of winning are extremely slim and demanding absolutely zero chance of winning before allowing someone to consider himself boned for the next hour and a half is unrealistic.

>>48334979
>Did you really just slump back and start pouting?
No, I serious'd the fuck up and tried to reach the resources I needed before everyone else got too strong. I was in it 100%, I just wasn't enjoying it.
>>
>>48335088
No one's saying that you weren't boned or at a disadvantage. I just believe that if being at that sort of disadvantage absolutely precludes you from enjoying time spent with your friends, I think that's a personal problem. Most of the time when I'm getting shafted, I just laugh at the absurdity of my own misfortune.
>>
>>48335157
That's great, you're a saint.

We don't play games so we'll have an excuse to talk to each other. We play games for the actual games.

If we want to shoot the breeze, we do just that and leave the games in their boxes.
>>
>>48335251
You can be serious about games and not be emotionally devastated because you might not win one.

>We don't play games so we'll have an excuse to talk to each other. We play games for the actual games.
Is it impossible for you to have fun while you are losing?
>>
>>48335251
If you play games for the actual game, do yourselves a favor and stop playing a random low skill game like Catan.

Catan is great for introducing people inexperienced in modern gaming to the hobby (somewhat because of the random nature), but any group that games more than once every couple of months should quickly be moving to greener pastures.

Are there other games that you guys play, or is Catan about the extent of it?
>>
>>48335310
>Is it impossible for you to have fun while you are losing?
No, I could also go out trolling magnificently. But that's a dick move, so I don't.

>Are there other games that you guys play, or is Catan about the extent of it?
It's Catan all the way, so far. We're all familiar with it (and we actually own it), so it's the go-to choice.
>>
File: Coup.jpg (112KB, 741x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Coup.jpg
112KB, 741x1024px
>>48271647
Coup generally takes 2-15 minutes depending on number of players and level of experience.
>>
>>48335486
What number of people are you usually playing with? I can give you some recommendations for the next game(s) you should look at picking up if you'd like.
>>
>>48335508
Usually three, occasionally four.
>>
>>48335520
Awesome, 3 and 4 is the ideal number for pretty much all board games outside of party games.

Five Tribes - Mancala on steroids, has random map generation every game like Catan, but there isn't really a way to get cockblocked in the game because turn order is decided by bidding, so if there is a good move you see, you can bid higher to take advantage of it. And I've seen so many different strategies win in this game, so there is no one "solution" to the game.

Castles of Burgandy - Very dry in theme, kind of like Catan, but is one of the most mechanically sound games that exists. There is also dice rolling if you like to have a bit of randomness, but it isn't the case where there are "bad" dice rolls, just that different dice rolls will result in you having to change your plans on the fly on occasion. Also has a really really nice rulebook that is easy to understand and reference.

Dead Of Winter - Coop game with a potential traitor element. Basically Walking Dead the board game. There are different missions and every game is tense because you never quite know if someone in the group is trying to screw everyone else over. Again, dice but randomness is mitigated by things in the game, and rolling in a coop game is less punishing than in a versus game.

If you wanted to jump into a lot heavier waters quickly I would suggest Terra Mystica or Eclipse.

If you wanted to spend a ton a money on expansions, Dominon. (One of my personal favorite games)
>>
>>48332583
>It' should be the same edition (currently 3d), but a different printing (4th). Components and art should be the same.
Thanks breh.
>>
>>48334738
>Most playing card games have no concept of "discard"
Five card draw, one of the most popular playing card games in the world, does.
>>
>>48335088
>No, I serious'd the fuck up and tried to reach the resources I needed before everyone else got too strong. I was in it 100%, I just wasn't enjoying it.
That's where you fucked up. If you have no realistic chance of winning you're SUPPOSED to troll people. Hell, in Chaos in the Old World a power with no chance can try to draw the game until the last Old World card is drawn and make everyone lose.
>>
Should I buy Mysterium or Betrayal at House on the Hill
>>
>>48335967
Mysterium has an actual game attached.
>>
>>48335967
Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Betrayal is less of a game, and more of Interactive Activity. It's a weird distinction, but it's there. There is storytelling that goes on and it's a pretty good time but there is only so much that can be done for the different scenarios. It isn't balanced literally at all, sometimes the Betrayer will just roll over the other players, sometimes it's the other way, and a lot of the times doing it doesn't feel satisfying. There are a couple of good scenarios which lead to interesting play, but they are few and far between.

Mysterium has also been given the wrap of not really being a game by some people, but that is pretty false, but I wouldn't say that it is amazing either. It hinges GREATLY on who you're playing with, and a lot of the times the cards just come up and fuck the ghost as there is nothing that is remotely helpful. And, unless you're playing in a fairly analytical group that can pick apart vague things, the game is mostly a case of guessing with maybe a little bit of help.

If you're looking for a group game with storytelling elements in it (which both of those games are trying to do) I would suggest Eldrich Horror, or Above and Below. If you're looking for a shoot the breeze guessing game with friends to drink with I'd suggest Dixit.
>>
>>48336048
>Mysterium has also been given the wrap of not really being a game by some people, but that is pretty false, but I wouldn't say that it is amazing either. It hinges GREATLY on who you're playing with, and a lot of the times the cards just come up and fuck the ghost as there is nothing that is remotely helpful. And, unless you're playing in a fairly analytical group that can pick apart vague things, the game is mostly a case of guessing with maybe a little bit of help.
I fucking love my group.
>what does three ships sailing in an opening in the clouds surrounded by a ladder-like pattern have to do with a swimming pool?
>same eye-feel
>mfw everyone wasted an against vote
>>
>>48336098
Yeah, with the right group, Mysterium is awesome. With the wrong group, it's dreadful.
>>
>>48336185
It can get pretty bad even with the right group.
Same game, we lost because the ghost gave three cards with rats in it to a player, who I convinced to choose the rope, it being the rats tail.
Turns out the three pictures had different things in them representing different aspects of a stamp.
>>
File: 81ceilCv5qL._SL1500_.jpg (217KB, 1161x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81ceilCv5qL._SL1500_.jpg
217KB, 1161x1500px
Anyone with this game care to explain this for me? When playing with 4 you need 5 player cards and place the last one face down. Where is this card used? And is it possible that you play a game without saboteurs that way?
>>
>>48336736
NVM it is indeed possible to have a game without saboteurs.
>>
>>48336736
>>48336846

The goal is always to be the first to the gold (or never have anyone get there at all if playing the saboteur) so there's always going to be a bit of players purposely screwing up other player's plans. That always leaves room for doubt about whether or not there actually *is* a saboteur in any given game. Of course if you're like my group - everyone just assumes everyone else is out to get them and are all 'saboteurs'. ;)
>>
>>48336960
Another thing I don't get. Does the winner pick a card from open gold cards, and give it to the person to the right and he gets to choose as well. Or does the second person have to pick the top card without looking.
>>
>>48337154
Once the first player reaches the gold, they get to look at all the cards and choose the highest value card and pass on the rest. Each player does the same until there are no more gold cards.
>>
Are there any games reminiscent of the later entries in the Metal Gear Solid series? I'm talking Portable Ops onwards. I want a base building game. I keep coming back to this idea of making a game like that, but I'm not sure where to start.
>>
You guys lied to me! Someone said Dominent Species was worker placement!
>>
>>48337683
It is
>>
>>48335593
>Dead Of Winter - Coop game with a potential traitor element. Basically Walking Dead the board game. There are different missions and every game is tense because you never quite know if someone in the group is trying to screw everyone else over. Again, dice but randomness is mitigated by things in the game, and rolling in a coop game is less punishing than in a versus game.

DoW does Betrayal gameplay poorly.
>>
>>48337596
Basically any game that has player mats which players put stuff on, trying to build an engine that works. Problem is not many (or maybe none) have the military/missions theming. Closest I can think of is probably the X-COM board game.
>>
>>48337861
>Basically any game that has player mats which players put stuff on, trying to build an engine that works
What?
Can you give examples here?
>>
>>48337889
Maybe Puerto Rico/San Juan, Caverna, Race/Roll for the Galaxy? As I said, the theme is decidedly not about building a base and sending soldiers on missions, but if there's ever a starting point to look at, it'd probably be engine building games like those.
>>
>>48337889
Some games have a much stronger 'worker placement' element than others. Worker placement (sometimes referred to as 'Dudes on a Map') generally refers to using Meeples or Counters to represent action choices. For example in Stone Age I can place 'Meeples' on different areas of the map to attempt different actions (create tools, harvest food or resources, etc). The idea is that your placement choices have direct effects on your resources, and indirectly can prevent others from doing something that turn. (If I choose to fill all the wood harvesting slots with my meeples, no one else can harvest wood that turn.) Other examples include Archipelago, Terra Mistica, and a host of similar games.
>>
>>48337596
Ah, it's "Kazuhira Cathala" Anon, I wondered what had happened to you. You were deep un your mother base game awhile back, make any progress?
>>
Mage Wars Arena or Academy? I want a game to fill the void left by doomtown but my normie (by /tg/ standards) friends are not into heavy games with loads to learn from the first turn. the only thing I don't like that much of Academy is that there's only two factions while in Arena I have plenty of options right of the bat.
>>
>mfw have Xia
>just realized there was a Kickstarter in March for the expansion that balances the fuck out of the base game.

Is there any way to "late pledge" or whatever for the expansion and the Sellsword V2 ship?
>>
>>48337971

He doesn't want worker placement, he wants engine/tableau building.

>>48337596

Look at Dungeon Lords.
>>
File: rouge legendary.jpg (68KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
rouge legendary.jpg
68KB, 367x500px
I recently bought Marvel Legendary but i find the game too easy, i rarely found it challenge in my first two games. Which is a shame because i really like the theme.

Any ideas on good setups to make it more challenging? and what expansions are good for that.

Also post favorite card and/or best girl.
>>
File: Location.png (793KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Location.png
793KB, 1000x667px
>>48337963
I've never heard of "engine building".

>>48337986
>"Kazuhira Cathala"
Who what? You might mean me, I was working on a Mother Base game a while back. I was trying to cut down on bookkeeping, and I also went with more of a Fantasy Guild/Ravnica theme, if only because using Magic art for my prototyping was easier. I think I've lost most of my notes or forgotten the things I should have written down, though.

>>48337971
By player mats, do you mean like the Wonder boards in 7 Wonders and so on, or the character types in Forbidden Desert/Island and Pandemic and Dead of Winter, things like that?
I've been thinking something similar to that, but with worker placement mechanics. Originally the idea was going to be something like Dead of Winter, where you keep track of different heroes, but the bookkeeping in that is so ridiculous and the set up is longer than the game. So I was thinking something that's a mix of worker placement and character focused, where your different traits and what you're good at are represented by a character board and cards drawn.

The game itself would still revolve around a Dead of Winter/X-COM style "this is the scenario for this game" set up.
My list of inspirations that I'm mining for ideas at the moment consists of:
Dead of Winter
XCOM
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
7 Wonders
And possibly a few more that I can't think of at the moment.
>>
>>48338450
Ah, I remember this. Engine building is fairly common, look them up. It probably doesn't fit what you're trying to do though, which was/is 'managing mercenaries to gain points/bonuses', not 'invest in this thing to get stuff in the future to invest into more things'.
>>
>>48338450
>I've never heard of "engine building".

Essentially a game where you gather pieces and then "run the engine" to win. In Race for the Galaxy, for example, you settle worlds which produce goods which you can consume for points. Eventually, it's better to stop building and just produce and consume repeatedly until someone ends the game.

Naturally, there's more complex examples and nearly every game has this element of "building things that let you do other things more efficiently". The resource producing cards in 7 Wonders, for example.
>>
File: Sample Character.png (702KB, 721x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sample Character.png
702KB, 721x523px
And the last prototype character card I made (heavily inspired by the PFACG cards). I may go the PFACG route and have checkboxes for leveling up, and a slight deckbuilding aspect, though closer to Uncharted and Descent's starting hand. I'm going for more of a tableau building aspect, since those are the sort of things I enjoy. Having your cards in front of you, some of them having ongoing effects, others having to be tapped, some being discarded.

>>48338450
To explain the board there, the idea is that you'd draw or place boards (and you'd have more boards than are used in a single game, so that each game is slightly different) and then draw from a deck until you get one of those specific kind of encounters and put it there. Each encounter would have different completion goals. I've forgotten all my notes, but that's basically similar to XCOM.

"Stress" is essentially the difficulty of the main mission, and when it gets to be too much, you lose the game. The main mission is something everyone is working together to solve, though of course whoever *actually* solves it gets more points. I may have multiple game modes, like Uncharted, where you're working together in one mode and competing in another.
Reputation is essentially the "Health" of your Guild. Obviously a high reputation is better.
₹ is the game's currency. Assuming that character shows up on 4chan.

>>48338499
>>48338542
Ah, you mean "pay 5 to get 1 per turn" stuff. That's sort of a thing I'm going for.

I really wish I had the chance to PLAY more games instead of watching them played or seeing them talked about.
>>
>>48338450
>>48338542

So I would look into this family of games:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/27646/tableau-building

I think 51st State and Imperial Settlers have the most "Base building" vibe.
>>
>>48337720
My friends said it actually is more of an area control game.
>>
>>48338822

It's both. Don't accuse us of lying before actually playing the game -- your friends are dipshits too if they told you worker placement wasn't important in it when that's how you do literally anything in that game.
>>
>>48338901
I'll play it, but from the sounds of it, it isn't a whole lot like the traditional ones like Caverna or T'zolkin. Here's hoping.

Anyway, I'm excited, I'm just worried. I haven't played anything by this company and it is huge.
>>
>>48338450
Bruno Cathala is a designer.
Kazuhira Miller is Kazuhira Miller.

I was being silly and yes, I was asking about your MGS inspired game. It sounds like you haven't given up on the idea, which is good.
>>
>>48338988
>it isn't a whole lot like the traditional ones like Caverna or T'zolkin.

That's true, but its not in the way the worker placement works. The area control aspect is very aggressive (for better or worse) and the event cards can be very destructive (not to my taste), but the worker placement aspect is one of the most tense and enjoyable uses.
>>
>>48339184
Hm. Well, fingers crossed. Hey, have you played a game called Concordia?
>>
>>48339553

I don't enjoy it -- it's hard to explain why without sounding like a sore loser but I don't enjoy and I am not very good at games where figuring out which options score me the most points is more important than figuring out what your opponents plan to do and reacting to it.

That said, I'm the only one in my group who seems to dislike it.

If you're looking to buy it, you can try it online first at http://www.boiteajeux.net/
>>
>>48338115
No opinions I guess
>>
>>48339908
Probably wrong time of day. There are folks who play, but are usually on later in the evening (U.S. time) that comment about it.
>>
>>48338115
Academy if playing normalfags and casuals. Arena is much more drawn out and complex
>>
File: Xia_Product_03.jpg (815KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Xia_Product_03.jpg
815KB, 1200x800px
Anybody here remember that TI3 Chick namefag? I'd REALLY appreciate anybody who could direct me to the homebrew rules she made for the game Xia: Legends of a Drift System.

The game is a bit unbalanced and from everything I read (and can't remember) a number of months ago, she put a lot of effort into bringing a balance to the game.

If you don't want to post publicly, feel free to email my /toy/ sales email address at:

Alipheesefateburnxvi AT gmail
>>
>>48340058
You can find her in the /tg/ Discord server, she posts in the boardgames section
>>
File: storm.jpg (187KB, 1248x1150px) Image search: [Google]
storm.jpg
187KB, 1248x1150px
What are the super hero board games must have?

Preferably something from known brands (DC, Marvel) but anything works.
>>
>>48341178
There's the Legendary Encounters stuff for 'name brand' heroes and villians, and the 'Sentinels of the Multiverse' line for more generic 'classic pulp era heroes & villians'. L.E. is a meatier game, Sentinels is more of a quick pickup style of play (think beer and pretzels). Both are fun for different reasons and with the right players.
>>
File: co-related games2.png (6MB, 1040x3642px) Image search: [Google]
co-related games2.png
6MB, 1040x3642px
>>48341178
This needs updating, but it'll do for now.
>>
>>48341314
>>48341325

Will look to them, thanks.
>>
>>48338427
There's alternate rules in the dark city expansion.
http://www.upperdeck.com/OP/RuleBooks/Legendary_Rules-Dark_City.pdf
Here's a copy/paste
New Challenge Modes
If you want an even greater challenge, you
can also try one or more of these ten new
optional Challenge Modes. Combining a
Mastermind, a Scheme, and a Challenge
Mode provides an even greater number
of combinations. Beware: some Challenge
Modes are crushingly difficult!
1) Gimpy Hand: Each player’s hand size is
five cards instead of six.
2) Opening Salvo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6: At the
beginning of the game, each player gains
that many Wounds.
3) Growing Threat: The Mastermind gets
+1 each time they are defeated.
4) Army of Evil 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5: Each Villain
gets + equal to that number.
5) Endless Hatred: Whenever you complete
a Scheme Twist, also play the Mastermind’s
Master Strike ability.
6) Evacuate the Wounded: Whenever a Hero
you own is KO’d, you gain a Wound.
7) Final Blow: After you defeat the
Mastermind’s four Tactics, you must still
fight them a fifth time to claim the actual
Mastermind card and win.
8) Plots upon Plots: Whenever you complete
a Scheme Twist, play another card from the
Villain Deck.
9) Pain upon Pain: Whenever you complete
a Master Strike, play another card from the
Villain Deck.
10) Hell on Earth: Play two cards from the
Villain Deck each turn instead of one.
>>
>>48339090
>It sounds like you haven't given up on the idea, which is good.
I haven't given up on it, but I wouldn't really say I've been super planning on it in ages. I had some paper cut outs of a board layout tacked to a wall board, but I never did anything with it so I took that down and put up a To Do list (that I never did anything with).

Procrastination is a killer.

Still, it's an idea I've liked, even if I'd have to go through and make about 100 cards. I recently got to do board game night with some friends, so the idea was coming back to me.
>>
>>48342454
Doing 'Game Design' well is a heck of a challenge. Coming up with a theme is fairly easy. One can even find some good books on game design theory and mechanics. The challenge is to come up with a choice of mechanics that work together in a fun way *AND* reflect the theme while still allow for meaningful choices on the part of the players.

TLDR - mixing random ingredients in a bowl doesn't make one a Chef. Knowing exactly what items and how much (food chemistry) is what does make on a Chef. There are a lot of cooks, but Chefs are far more rare.

Good luck and I hope you make more progress on your game. (The world can never have too many good games.)
>>
>>48343293
Well, I don't plan on mixing the elements all willy nilly or anything. I'm just trying to expand my "vocabulary" at the moment. A verb here, a noun there. Seeing what I can use to form a sentence.
>>
>>48340058
>TI3 Chick? I'd REALLY appreciate anybody who could direct me to the homebrew rules she made for the game Xia: Legends of a Drift System.

I have this from one of the threads here (Part 1 of two)...

"TI3 Chick Xia house rules

No, there are much more legit issues like shields making it so players can basically never die from other players (this affects some title cards, assassin missions and getting their bounty) so this is a MUST houser house rule if you're not all eurogamers. Also the minor itch of smuggling missions being too risky but you can just drop the fail rate to 1-4 like every other thing.

Apparently the shields ate out of hand because backers felt they weren't good enough. Here's my rule: when you use shields, you cannot re-arrange unless you place 1 damage on a shield unit for each arm marker you want back in addition to the normal energy cost. At the end of the attacker's turn, you can move that damage off the shields to another space once. I tried *everything * else. Doubling the energy cost to rearm, removing an arm space from each shield, lowering their die faces, nothing works except this. This guarantees damage and shields get used. However if another player attacks you (different one) you re arm for free. This was to keep with the backers findings that ganging up on a player spells doom. Also it's flavorful since having more shield units means less damage to your ship.

I put 12 hours of testing into this rule so far.

RE: changing the dice categories for the various weapons / ships

We did everything. We tried:

Bastion: d8
Zulu-II: d6
Targe: d4 (requires outside dice)
>>
>>48343364
> And part two...

With no other rules, 3 activations and 1 energy to re-arm made blasters of equal tier still ineffectual. 2d6 vs 2d4 is avg 7 vs 5 which gives a slight (and I mean slight) edge to blasters, but 2d8 vs 3d6 is 9 vs 10.5 edge to shields (-1 more energy but considering how close planets are this means nothing if players aren't idiots). 2d12 vs 3d8 is 13 vs 13.5 edge shields. Never forget that the shields roll more dice and therefore get more gauss (trends toward the average more with more dice, making it reliable). As 1/3 systems is a planet, you are never more than 1-2 sectors from full energy and damage. Ew.

Doubling the energy cost to rearm from shields by itself sounded great...for tier 1 ships as defenders. In testing this does nothing. Most ships can shield, use abilities and still run away to a planet. You basically have to catch them harvesting nebula.

Taking damage to shields directly can work but again, shields nullify ALL damage on average. You have to gamble on marginal odds (with less gauss!) That you can take it out. Plus all these solutions allow gang-banging one player to ruin them without any chance.

We tested double re-arm energy costs, plus lowered face dice, plus limited arming rules (you can arm 1, then 2, then 3 spots in any order when attacked by the same player. Only 3 times with tier 2 or 3 obviously. So you get max of 6 dice ever against one opponent before you hit a planet or someone else attacks), plus against a ship with railgun and Shockwave twinked to kill without dying against a tier 3 shield, tier 3 engine and tier 1 blasters. The defender still scraped by just barely and limped to a fucking planet.

The only rules that worked were guaranteed damage with no other rules."

And of the text file...
>>
File: rouge best girl.jpg (79KB, 564x840px) Image search: [Google]
rouge best girl.jpg
79KB, 564x840px
>>48342380

Damm really interesting settings, ill try them today after work. Actually getting hyped, thanks.

Ill get Dark City next week, and plan to buy a new expansion each week. Any suggestions or comments on them?
>>
>>48339958
in which way Arena is much more complex other than moving around an arena?
>>
File: 1345227455348.jpg (139KB, 550x711px) Image search: [Google]
1345227455348.jpg
139KB, 550x711px
>>48343428
Dark City is great. No reason not to get all the expansions really, to include villains.
Good luck getting F4 for less than a kajillion dollars. Lost as part of Marvel's ongoing pettiness with Fox. But don't blame it on Upper Deck
>>
Any game like Doomtown? I mean zone control, some good lore maybe and also a good chunk of complexity.
>>
File: darkseid-is[2].jpg (159KB, 575x786px) Image search: [Google]
darkseid-is[2].jpg
159KB, 575x786px
>>48262739
https://theplayersaid.com/grants-top-10-all-time-games/
>>
Which other game maker have an ambassador program? so far I can recall the ones who made Mage Wars, The Spoils and Scythe but who else is out there?
>>
>>48346880
Ambassador program?
>>
>>48347012
basically is like a reward system that gives you points by publishing in social websites that you were making demos of their games so you can bring new players to X game.
>>
>>48318917
Win or lose, the curtains close on the campaign.
>>
We got a gamefinder for Tabletop Simulator? I got tricked into buying it during the summer sale.
>>
>>48348493
there's supposed to be a /tg/ group in steam communities
>>
Since there's no game design thread up:

When making a game, how do you handle set up bloat? Like, Dead of Winter and Arkham Horror would be funner games if it was possible to play them longer than their set up and pick up. Both of them can take a Goddamned hour to (clean the table off and then) lay out all the cards and tokens and pieces and pawns.

One of the problems I'm having with coming up with an idea for how to make Mother Base work is the fact that board games require an exorbitant amount of set up for the bigger theme games.
>>
>>48349988
Use setups that don't require precision placement. Cups, piles, megadecks.
>>
>>48350036
I'm thinking about a "megadeck". For >>48338450 the idea is that you'd just draw until you get the cards that fill that particular spot. I'm not sure if its an elegant solution or not, though.
>>
>>48349988
Make it so that setup is possible without referring to the rulebook, i.e. making it easier for other players to help setup the board, and not just the game owner. Scythe does this well I think, there's predetermined deck locations around the board, and while the player mats have lots of bits and pieces, the indentations help tell where they are placed. The board itself only has 3 (5 if you include the popularity and power tokens) game pieces per player at the start.
>>
Has anyone seen this? Thoughts?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2115086518/giga-robo
>>
>>48350802
>Giga-Robo is the card-driven
Okay

>miniatures game
Shit

>of anime giant robot combat,
Shit

>where 2-4 players duel
Okay

>across a fully destructible 3D city.
Neat I guess

>Roll fistfuls of dice against your opponent for over-the-top card-based attacks
DOG SHIT
>>
>>48350802
>miniatures game

overpriced/10
>>
How do I up my Carcassonne game? I'm going to play at my local qualifiers. I can't even find people to practise with. Any advice is good. I'm currently memorising the tile count.
>third world problems
>>
>>48304601
my gf likes zombie dice
>>
>>48350110
You're gonna have a tough time unless you're able to separate all cards of a situation by deck and have individual boxes for them. Like, this scenario is the "Blood Forest" deck, or some shit. That way cleanup is just separating any cards into their proper decks and returning the base supplies. That and having an intuitive box inlay/organization. Scythe blew my goddamn mind by having the organization printed on the side of the box. Saves loads of time.
>>
>>48351079
So, 90% of your shit-post can be summarized with:
"Mah Butthurt!!! Stop liking what I don't like! Waaaahhhh!!!!" How novel! Isn't there a thread on /b/ or /pol/ you should be shitting up instead?

Lets start with the 'miniatures game' bullshit you're whining about. Having looked at the KS - it's got 4 (four) miniatures in the entire game. Maybe a few more if they reach stretch goals. I gather you spend countless hours of butt-hurt raging over Monopoly since it has 'way more' miniatures. Next we have "ZOMG! Anime" (unironically on a board *founded* on anime). Please show us on the dolly where the bad weeb touched you. Followed with "ZOMG! Dice!" Please show us on the dolly where the bad Ameri-trash game touched you...

I don't think anyone would really care if you disliked the game, if you could actually post an *ARTICULATE* summary of what you dislike instead of adding to the useless shit-posting.
>>
File: S-CAR_v7.4.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
S-CAR_v7.4.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>48352322
If you can't find anyone local to game with - you might try online. There's a Vassal mod for it, but I haven't tried it myself.

http://www.vassalengine.org/

http://www.vassalengine.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Category:Modules&from=C

You might also ask around here if there's any other gaming sites that have Carcassonne. I checked Board Game Arena, but they don't have it. And have a copy of the latest 'complete' rules I have on hand. Good luck, and I hope you have fun.
>>
>>48346583
Nice games review. I'm not a fan of all his choices, but the guy can write a solid review. I want Core Worlds all the more now.
>>
Am I just wrong for hating Ameritrash games so fucking much? I just can't help but feel they are never worth sorting through the rules. And half the fun from them depends on the playgroup filling in.

Even amongst my heavy board game circle, there are still people who contest that Arkham Horror is a good game. Which seems ludicrous to me.
>>
>>48353655
Sounds like they appreciate co-op games and you don't. At least give Eldritch Horror and Elder Sign (the two modern variants of Arkham Horror) a shot.

Failing that there's always Pandemic.
>>
>>48353655
If you hate an entire category of games, it's probably you. And it's OK to like a game for various reasons even if it isn't the 'best' game of its kind or genre. That said, if one is arguing that said game is 'good' simply because 'I like it' then it's probably them. (I have / like a few games that are poor mechanically / rules wise - 2nd Edition Talisman comes to mind - but I don't try and sell anyone on the notion that it's a 'well designed game' when it comes to the rules. It isn't.)
>>
>>48353721
I admittedly don't like co op games. I own Space Alert, but I never managed to get a proper game going.

Elder Sign is eh. Eldritch Horror I've been meaning to try. Is Pandemic actually good? People praise it, but it just doesn't seem like it would be fun.

Another co op game I enjoyed was Time Stories, but only a bit. And it really did require the group do to the legwork. I played it once with randoms and it was the worst gaming experience imaginable.

>>48353745
That's what I figured. But I legitimately have had only 1 or 2 games of a Fantasy Flight game that I didn't actively want to be playing something else. There always seems to be too much shit for too little gain. People always tell me "That's a stupid thing to say, all FF games are different!", but time and time again, I end up playing it and the same issues seem apparent.
>>
File: SaltCon-Day2-Isle-of-Skye-box.jpg (134KB, 900x605px) Image search: [Google]
SaltCon-Day2-Isle-of-Skye-box.jpg
134KB, 900x605px
>he hasn't played the GOTY yet
>>
File: 1459887490932.png (65KB, 285x276px) Image search: [Google]
1459887490932.png
65KB, 285x276px
>>48352322

>third world problems

I know the struggle thirdworldfag. Back where i used to live there was not a single store where i could buy MTG, let alone board games.

I am catching up at my 26 yo
>>
>>48354080

Pandemic consistently tops peoples' list for cooperative games, but I've never loved it. It's good and very simple to teach, but it's too prone to alpha gamer syndrome and I can't ever help but think that I'm just moving around colored cubes. I guess I would like just a little more theme. Might also be that I think the game can get stale, since just because a different game might have a different disease spreading quickly or a different region is more fucked, the mechanics and our reactions still stay the same. That said, I own none of the expansions and will still willingly play it. I just think it's overrated.

For something different I just picked up Legends of Andor and it's a puzzle based coop like Pandemic, but with more choices and I found myself getting way more into it. Since it's puzzle based though (as opposed to a dungeon looting experience like Descent) it can turn many people away. Might be worth checking out at least.
>>
>>48353206
How do I find people to play on vassal tho. I've already got the latest rules.
>>
>>48355520
>How do I find people to play on vassal tho

1. ask here, and ask on the board game geek forums. Particularly on the Carcassonne forums.

2. I'm pretty sure there are forums on the Vassal site where you can look around / ask as well.
>>
>>48353127
Jesus christ, you histrionic cunt, could you make it any more clear this is your game?
>>
File: gencon.jpg (492KB, 2472x1069px) Image search: [Google]
gencon.jpg
492KB, 2472x1069px
WHO GENCON HYPE HERE

What are you looking forward to buying/checking out at the show?
>>
>>48350802
>watches gundam once
>HEYGUYZ LET'S MAKE THIS A CARD MINI DICE GAME XD!
It's shit
>>
>>48352322
There's an app
>>48354099
Played it a couple of times back in February. I think it's a really neat game. I seem to be the only one praising Mister Pfister in these threads. Keep an eye out for Great Western Trail everyone
>>48355924
Not going. I used to be hype for new releases but several of them got delayed
>>
>>48355924
Between hypes here, was near the front of the line when event tix went active and still ended up in 60% backup games. At this point planning out snacks/meals, and checking over notes from the last couple years, tho I do have a couple tabs open to events just in case somehow people refund tickets before will call opens.

>buying checking out
HABA, their booth is the best place to get games from them, and always worth a look now that my friends all have young kids.
CSI booth, their ding/dent is where I usually pick up the best deal of the con, though last year's was kinda meh.

Also the plastic edition of Flick Em Up is supposed to drop, so going to see what the quality is like on that.

>avoiding like the plague
FFG booth, Asmodee/DoW/Queen booth (assuming they're sticking with last year's format), that fuckawful Hotbox Pizza, anything Mayfair is doing (except the free water/coffee on the walk in), and that local retailer booth who's the only asshole in 6 years that's charged me sales tax
>>
Does anyone have a pdf or a print and play version of "The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43"? It looks neat but I don't want to pay assrape prices for what is after all a dice-chucker consisting of a few sheets of paper and a handful of chits.
>>
>>48271647
Exploding Kittens
>>
>>48356655
This is the most recent one I've got...
>>
>>48357592
Thanks man, do you have the mats and stuff too?
>>
File: pog0071.jpg (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pog0071.jpg
67KB, 500x500px
Thoughts?
>>
Has anyone here tried out Arena of the Planeswalkers? My group of mates have basically indicated they'd rather die than play a wargame but love Magic, so I figure this might be a way to scratch my skirmish itch.

How's the game as a game? Are there enough scenarios and such to keep it fresh? How's the solidity of the game pieces?
>>
>>48349468
It's listed in the pastebin, right at the bottom.
>>
>>48357621
I don't have a full print-n-play copy (I own a physical copy of the game itself), and I can't say that I've ever seen a p-n-p version on the web. But that doesn't mean it isn't out there.
>>
>>48358705
No clue - I've seen the game advertised, but I haven't seen any game play reviews of it. I love sci-fi games, but I've already got Level 7 Omega Protocol, and Gears, so unless this thing is phenomenally well rated it isn't really high on my 'wish list' at the moment.
>>
File: Small World Cover.jpg (87KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Small World Cover.jpg
87KB, 500x500px
>>48358791
>My group of mates have basically indicated they'd rather die than play a wargame

So, use a melee weapon or a firearm and kill them already! You get to play a 'war game' and they get to die. Problem solved (other than you only get to play once with that set of mates...)

If you actually want them to try war gaming (without realizing it), then borrow someone's copy of 'Small World'. It's literally 'Genocide - the board game!' with silly race combos (like 'Hafling Stone Giants') that have unique traits. It's an area control game that no one realizes is a war game at first glance.
>>
File: Eurogamer.jpg (29KB, 333x242px) Image search: [Google]
Eurogamer.jpg
29KB, 333x242px
>>48359012
And many of us 'outgrew' idiotic snap judgements and 'lol-2edgy4u' meme bullshit too. What's your excuse?
>>
File: uu9pmDP.gif (998KB, 500x244px) Image search: [Google]
uu9pmDP.gif
998KB, 500x244px
>>48359012

>Be me
>Shitpost about >>48350802
>Go look at the kickstarter page
>Muh dick 0_0

I could get behind the idea if kickstarter or early access were anything but an excuse for publishing garbage.
>>
>>48359064

If you somehow don't recognize that dice as a resolution mechanism makes a game intrinsically bad, you must be really really REALLY new
>>
>>48358705
>Thoughts
I'm pretty interested in it, but I'm adding a lot of games that will compete with it to my collection this year, like Mare Nostrum and ST: Ascenscion.
Will probably get anyways.
>>
>>48359169
And if only mental exercise you get is jumping to false conclusions, I'll bet good money you're boring person at or away from the gaming table. I'd readily agree that 'purely random' dice based results don't make for a 'mechanically' good game rules wise. Monopoly, Catan, and a lot of other games suffer heavily from that poor design choice. But Stone Age for example - a very well liked worker placement game - uses dice and includes mechanics (like strategically acquiring tools) that allow players to improve their rolls at key times in the game. Knowing when to acquire tools and when to spend them becomes one more enjoyable strategic element in a game with a lot of different viable strategies. However, feel free to continue advertising your lack of ability to put in mental effort before speaking. It'll help intelligent folks weed out 'human boat anchors' from their acquaintance list that much faster.
>>
>>48359391
>dice as a resolution mechanism makes a game intrinsically bad
>dice as a resolution mechanism
>resolution mechanism
>RESOLUTION MECHANISM

Can you not read? What the actual, legitimate FUCK are you doing on the internet when you can't even parse a simple, unambiguous sentence?

Dice as a resource are fine. Dice as a way of determining resources are fine. Dice as a resolution mechanism are absolute garbage - because a game is a series of decisions, and determining the result of those decisions randomly renders those decisions meaningless.
>>
>>48359064

This pic literally makes no sense.
All the best selling games in Europe revolve around random elements
and every club I've ever been too play nothing but random games.
(Fuck you Seasons you piece of shit)
>>
>>48359511

>Dice as a resolution mechanism are absolute garbage

Can you think of any examples? All I can think of is rolling for your jets and squads in Xcom if that's what you mean. Or like rolling to hit in war hammer.

Also have you played Terra mystica and T'zolkn?
>>
>>48359861

Risk is the classic example.
There are countless games which use dice in the same fashion.
>>
>>48359861
Dice resolution as in "roll to see who wins the combat". In Dead of Winter, dice rolled are a resource and you can allocate them how you want. You roll the Exposure die not as a a way to determine your success at something but because it provides a risk for taking a certain action that is integral to gameplay. Without the Exposure risk, people would go everywhere for what they want.

Roll for the Galaxy uses the dice as resource determining AND as resources themselves. You can change your resources slightly based on what you get and that's fine. It makes a cupful of dice fun because you actually choose what those dice are.

In Monopoly, it doesn't fucking matter who has the Railroads or what your properties are. All that matters is what you roll. You can't choose where you go, your only choice is to MAYBE do something AFTER you've rolled unless you hit someone else's place or an obligatory result. There is input you can do but ultimately everything will happen because of the dice, not your choices.

Machi Koro, despite the tableau-building, is ultimately the same. It doesn't matter how widespread your catches are if you don't roll what you need and you can't control the result at all. Before anything happens, you need to roll. After that what you can do is determined by what the roll was. It's nice to build a tableau but really really weak in the end because of the lack of input.
>>
>>48359511
> Can you not read?

In spite your claims - you seem to be missing the second half of 'reading *comprehension*'. In Stone Age, if I choose to place workers *in hopes of* gaining resources (in the case of Stone Age that would be Food, Wood, Brick, Stone, and Gold) - I then *ROLL DICE <gasp!> to *RESOLVE* whether or not I *actually gain* said resources (because it's NOT guaranteed to happen as a result of my worker placement choices). Prior to placing workers and then rolling the dice once they're committed, a player has ZERO KNOWLEDGE of what the actual final outcome of those decisions will be. That is a dice rolling "RESOLUTION MECHANISM".

>Dice as a resolution mechanism are absolute garbage - because a game is a series of decisions, and determining the result of those decisions randomly renders those decisions meaningless.

*AGAIN* if the mechanics are purely random, and their outcome can NOT be influenced by player decisions, then yeah I'd agree that it's a bad game mechanic. But you aren't arguing that. You're saying that if you can make a choice and it fails because of a random element or variable (even if you could positively influence that random element before the final outcome) then it's still bad. You come off as a complete control freak who spends a lot of your time frustrated and butt-hurt because you can't deal with incomplete information and variables beyond your control.
>>
>>48360078

If you're trying to convince me that Stone Age is awful, you've succeeded.

It's not about control, or having perfect information. Having my decisions come to nothing because the dice say so is boooooooring. There's nothing interesting about that, thus it's a bad game.

That said, some of my favorite games are imperfect information & bluffing games where resources become available with a degree of randomness.

Sekigahara is one of the best examples. Amazing design.
>>
>>48360028
Exactly! In DoW and Roll for the Galaxy, I determine the outcomes of the dice roll after they've been rolled based on the choices of where I place them. The initial values are random, but I can influence the final result based on where I place them. In Stone Age, the number of workers placed in a given area influences the number of dice I roll, but doesn't guarantee their results. Whether or not I gain a given resource is based on beating a target number with my dice total. However I can also influence the dice score by using tools to increase the total as well. So while the final result is not without risk of failure, one can calculate odds and influence the final results. I like it because it reflects that no plan is foolproof and success is not an automatic given. History is loaded with footnotes of the 'highly improbable' that actually happened and had a huge impact on the outcome of events. Some folks adapted, others - not so much.
>>
>>48360255

Stone Age sounds like shit.
You obviously need to stop liking things I don't like.
>>
>>48360226
>Having my decisions come to nothing because the dice say so is boooooooring. There's nothing interesting about that

But having your decisions come to nothing because of a non-dice based (but still not guaranteed - i.e. 'random') result resolution mechanism is? That just comes across as all sorts of retarded rationalization.

> some of my favorite games are imperfect information & bluffing games where resources become available with a degree of randomness.

Then by your own definition - they're shit games...

> a game is a series of decisions, and determining the result of those decisions randomly renders those decisions meaningless.

You make a decision to follow a particular strategy or tactic and a randomly appearing resource renders your decision meaningless. Hooray! Who fucking cares (besides you) if the random result is generated with a card draw, coin flip, chit draw, or other 'non-dice' mechanism? It *STILL* means you lacked total control and the end result "rendered your decision meaningless".
>>
>>48360550

>Strawman
>Strawman
>Moving goalposts

I think we can agree that the useful and potentially interesting part of our conversation is over.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.