[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a magic weapon for 5e, it's intended to be the ancient

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ancient-greek-javelin-throw.jpg (46KB, 636x334px) Image search: [Google]
ancient-greek-javelin-throw.jpg
46KB, 636x334px
Making a magic weapon for 5e, it's intended to be the ancient fang of a supernatural creature, that still contains the residue of the creature's animus.

I want it to mechanically attack with Advantage, but is that "too strong" an attack bonus? What is it equivalent to vs a normal + to hit weapon?

Should I balance it with some effect where attacks against all other enemies in that fight are at Disadvantage while the initial target still lives?
>>
>>48230659
Also, Ankules are neat.
>>
>>48230659
>I want it to mechanically attack with Advantage, but is that "too strong" an attack bonus?
Yes, that is far too strong.

Just make it a +x weapon instead, maximum +3 if it's legendary tier. It doesn't sound like much, but that's a huge difference in 5e. Could also make it like flame tongue, simply adding 2d6 damage with no tohit bonus at all.
>>
>>48230853
I've heard it said that Advantage is +5, but also that it's the equivalent of +3.25.
If it's the latter, I don't see it as being overpowered lacking any other bonuses to hit.
>>
>>48230853
A human on a horse with a feat attacks all unmounted foes with Advantage.
How is that not broken then?
>>
>>48230659
Free unlimited advantage invalidates all kinds of other class features and feats and tactical options, since advantage doesn't stack.

>>48230921
It's not exactly equivalent to any +X; it roughly doubles the chance of success.
>>
>>48230921
Its the 3.25 when nat 20 and nat 1 or not special rolls (so on saving throws and skill checks)

Attack rolls have an extra value for 20s, and an extra penalty for 1s. This (roughly) makes it equal to +5 when all is said in done, but its rough math.

Just advantage on attack rolls and no +'s to damage seems fine. Roughly in the vein of a +3 weapon, close to a scimitar of speed with pluses or something.

Its mostly balanced because you can't get double advantage, and disadvantage negates it completely. So if you have any trip masters or such in the party its not nearly as good.
>>
>>48230659

I'd rule it attacks with advantage in a certain scenario--ideally one that rarely stacks with other class abilities. Disadvantage when the 'initial target still lives' might be too difficult to quantify if more than one valid target exists. Perhaps it's just disadvantage if it's not attacking its preferred victim?

+3/4ish is practical, but it's a lot of fun to have something with a story to it. If it's the ancient fang of an animal, maybe it's strong against its prey?
>>
>>48232002

>stacks

Meant to say "one that rarely overlaps", since they don't stack. If it overlaps it invalidates having one or the other, which isn't much fun for a magic item.
>>
>>48230954
>A human on a horse with a feat attacks all unmounted foes with Advantage.
Only ones that are smaller than his mount, and only when the DM doesn't screw him out of it for being in a cave or indoors something. There are good reasons why nobody actually takes mounted combat.

A sword of perma-advantage does it literally all the time no matter what with no drawbacks. And it makes a lot of features and game rules redundant since the weider would never care about getting advantage when he always has it anyway. It's a terrible way of making a sword super special. That is why magic weapons generally give a plus to hit and damage instead.
>>
OP, permanent advantage would be weak as fuck. That's a sell as fast as you can magic weapon, at least for melee, if anything else is available.

Advantage is kind of a joke to get in 5e for melee, there's a fucking myriad ways to come across it, especially if your DM users flanking rules.

If it's ranged, and has no +3 or whatever, only the advantage, I'd say that's pretty balanced. On the stronger side, but not bullshit.
>>
>>48232757
>>48232757
>Easy to get advantage as maylay
Maybe if barbarian but everyone else has to get surprise or flanking (if the dm even uses that shit) for that sweet advantage
>Advantage on paladin: the GWM -5 to hit doesn't matter anymore, so +10 to damage and more smitting
>Same applies for fighter with battle master shit instead
>Same applies to ranger except with hunter's mark instead
>same applies for melee casters with the GFB and GWM
>Barbarian wants it so he doesn't have to give everyone advantage to hit him
Hell combine it with fell handed feat and you'll start knocking everyone over, or as a rogue always sneak attack every day no matter what
>>
>>48230659
What was the supernatural creature
>>
>>48230666
>Ankules are neat.
I did not know of this before, and after some Googling, I completely agree. Very neat.
>>
>>48230659
Some ideas:
>Grants advantage while the wielder is crouched down like an animal, counting as prone and basically working as barbarian's reckless attack
>Grants advantage vs the favored prey of whatever animal it's from
>Grants advantage versus heavily armored foes because the fang just supernaturally phases through the armor
>Marks a target hit, granting advantage on all further attacks against them

Or if your party ever commonly has advantage, replace "grants advantage" with ~+3 to hit
>>
>>48233261
>what's shoving
>what's a mount
>what's half of the caster's debuffs
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.