[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any advice on making a solar in exalted? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: baron karzath.gif (68KB, 312x500px) Image search: [Google]
baron karzath.gif
68KB, 312x500px
Does anyone have any advice on making a solar in exalted?

I've been told there are a lot of traps in the character creation system because the points you start out with are worth more then xp later in the game, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Can someone elaborate/show examples?
>>
>>48140946
most of the exalted artwork sucks but i like that picture
>>
File: LandingPage__0018_Ex3.jpg (257KB, 1000x506px) Image search: [Google]
LandingPage__0018_Ex3.jpg
257KB, 1000x506px
>>
>>48140946
Edition?

Also Solars are the easiest to make.
>>
>>48141129
Any, but probably third.
>>
>>48140946
>I've been told there are a lot of traps in the character creation system because the points you start out with are worth more then xp later in the game, but this doesn't make sense to me.

Okay. The dots and bonus points you get in character creation are flat increases. XP costs, though, increases in cost as you rise in attributes, abilities, and merits.

As an example, with your pool of starting ability dots, you can grab melee 3 for 3 of those dots. Then with your bonus points you can go up to 5 for 2 bonus points if its favored.

If you didn't put in the bonus points to get it up to 5 starting off but want to outside of character creation, it'd cost more as you went in. Buying Melee 4 (assuming it's favored) would cost you 5 xp, then melee 5 would cost 7 xp to get.

Now buying melee 1 with XP though (and it being favored) is only 3 XP. So your Bonus points go further if you spend them on getting 5, since rising something from 4 to 5 costs the same as buying that same thing at 1, but costs far more XP after character creation.

It's one of the flaws with using character creation points that are different than XP.
>>
>>48140946
>because the points you start out with are worth more then xp later in the game, but this doesn't make sense to me.

In most point-buy games with this, it's because character creation "points" are spent on a one-for-one basis (sometimes up until a certain point), whereas the spending of experience points is often based on the level of the attribute/ability/whatever you're trying to improve. You could spend a point in character creation that saves you lots of experience points, and this sort of thing usually encourages characters to be deeply invest in one or two particular things ("depth") than a smorgasbord of character attribute/abilities/whatever ("breadth").
>>
>>48141213
Damn, that sucks. Why don't they just give you a big pile of xp so you get used to the system?

Are there any stats that are a "must have" that you should max out? I was planning an armored melee type that also dabbles in scholarly stuff and maybe some ranged magic, but that doesnt sound so feasible now...
>>
>>48140991
what the fuck is edgy jeeg doing in exalted

t. /m/
>>
>>48141268
>268▶
>>>48140991 (You)
>>48141268
wat
>>
>>48141243
Because 1. They like players having an easy time getting 5s in character creation, but "having a mountain to climb in game" and 2. They don't see it as a problem.
>>
>>48141360
What douchebags.
>>
>>48140946
>I've been told there are a lot of traps in the character creation system because the points you start out with are worth more then xp later in the game, but this doesn't make sense to me.
Yes. Basically:
>get your Willpower to 10. It's the cheapest in BP and most expensive in XP.
>get your key Abilities to 5. Again, cheaper in starting points and BP than XP.
>just generally minmax shit. Attributes you need at 5. The ones you don't at 1, you can raise them to 2-3 for relatively cheap with XP. Same for Abilities.

Why it works: it's because XP cost is growing with ranks (going from 4 to 5 costs more than going from 3 to 4), while BP and starting points are constant. So it's cheap to buy Abilities from 0 to 3 but expensive to buy from 3 to 5 with XP. So instead of having a spread of 3s that you improve on later, you should have the stuff you plan on having at 5 max out right away and then buy branching out skills later.
Otherwise, it will take you much more XP to get to the same end result.

>>48141142
In Third, willpower is less essential and less broken cost-wise, but most other principles still apply.
>>
>>48140946
in EX3: never underestimate what Lore can do. It's the strongest Ability in the game. Introducing facts is just the most useful thing you can do and Lore Charms can alter the game alltogether.

And taking Lore costs basically nothing.

People might say 'introducing facts depends on the ST!' but every person that is willing to be ST in an Exalted game will love it.
>>
>>48141243
>Why don't they just give you a big pile of xp so you get used to the system?
Giving a big pile of XP (or a smaller pile of BP and replacing further XP gains with BP) is a common houserule to fix the disparity.

Devs don't apply it because they have their heads up their assess.

>I was planning an armored melee type that also dabbles in scholarly stuff and maybe some ranged magic, but that doesnt sound so feasible now...
Oh, you can. There are quite a lot of points to go around.

>Are there any stats that are a "must have" that you should max out?
Dexterity is a god-stat for combat. It is both defence and attack.
Everything else is obvious.

Get big load of Dex and Strength for your melee from basic spread, shore up Constitution from bonus points; max out Melee plus some supplemental combat abilities.
For scholarly, get Intellect to max, Lore to max and Occult and get sorcerous initiation. Get Wits for combat initiative and some Perception if you can squeeze.
Social is going to be your tertiary. Grab Charisma, it's easiest and most straightforward.
>>
>>48141658
So what would be a good points spread numbers wise?

I'm sorry im asking to be spoonfed, its my first time
>>
Is it possible to buy the actual 3rd edition bookor are the ones floating around just printed out pdfs?
>>
>>48141711
Like I said, 5 in shit you need immediately, 1 or 0 in shit you don't.
I outlined the baselines that you'd need for things direct to your desired specialities. Everything else is to your taste.

>>48141774
Pretty sure it's supposed to be buyable in book form at driethrurpg, but it may be not yet available due to the sheer amount of delays they've experienced.
>>
File: Baron Karza.jpg (90KB, 1000x960px) Image search: [Google]
Baron Karza.jpg
90KB, 1000x960px
>>48141268
fyi this is an edgy drawing of a very old toy.
>>
>>48142108
what is edgy jeeg
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.