[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spycraft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Spycraft2.jpg (111KB, 264x360px) Image search: [Google]
Spycraft2.jpg
111KB, 264x360px
Does anyone have any experience with Spycraft? I wanted to run a modern game, and it keeps coming up in searches.
>>
It's not awful, but GURPS is better.
>>
>>48096560
If you want something fast and good that does most modern out of the box then download Nemesis.

If you want lists and tables full of stuff then Gurps is probably the most exhaustive around. But the mechanics are... Well, let's not.
>>
>>48096560
3rd edition is coming out soon, and it's better then Gurps. I'd hold out for that.
>>
>>48096560
Disregard Spycraft, acquire Ops & Tactics.
>>
>>48096560
I haven't read any of the rules personally, but I've heard that it's okay but not great--especially relative to FantasyCraft, a fantasy spin-off that's also sort of a sequel as far as system development goes.

While there's definitely some fun games in there to be had, it might not be worth buying and learning unless you're already well acquainted with the d20 System or other SRD-derived Crafty Games stuff.
>>
>>48097797
>Spycraft 3.0
I'm sorry what? I need to know more about this.
>>
>>48096560
Brilliant chase system, meh overall
>>
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this.
What would you say are some of the best movies/tv shows to watch to get inspiration from and capture the feel of for a Spycraft/modern action game?
>>
>>48096560
Very reliant on bookkeeping. A nightmare for certain kinds of GMS (myself included)
>>
>>48098928
>Depends on the setting.
Memeing aside, it does sorta depend. Spycraft can be run as dective noir, survival horror, or action camp (my GM did all of these in the same campaign, it was breddy gud).
As a basic set, I'd suggest the Bond and Die-Hard franchises, Payback, and for humor value D.E.B.S.

>>48096560
Fun once you get the hang of it, but be prepared to be looking up everything for a while, the book's format isn't the best for how inter-related everything is.
>>
File: the sandbaggers.jpg (97KB, 780x439px) Image search: [Google]
the sandbaggers.jpg
97KB, 780x439px
>>48098928
The best spy show ever. EVER.
>>
File: the sandbaggers2.jpg (219KB, 945x1338px) Image search: [Google]
the sandbaggers2.jpg
219KB, 945x1338px
>>48100723
Source: The New York Times (if you trust them).
>>
>>48098928
Well, there really are so many different ways to go with it, especially with all the different spins that splat gives Spycraft.
What immediately came to mind for me were Beverly Hills Cop, Die Hard, and Mission: Impossible. Each work well for inspiration for different sorts of content--compelling stakes, good action sequences, intricate plans or schemes for the players to worry over in putting them to action or for them to unravel.

They also each have a different sort of scope and general milieu that you can toy with in your own writing, pacing, and description as the gamemaster.
>>
>>48096560
One of the better implementations of the D20 rules, and probably the best implementation of D20 rules in a modern setting, vying with "just use Mutants and Masterminds and no overt superpowers".

For all that it's a D20 game, and it has most of the inherent flaws of the base game. Bookkeeping is going to be a chore, the rules are the oddest mix of granular and abstract that tends to leave everyone dissatisfied with something, etc. No major problems with class imbalance as I recall though; everyone gets cool shit to do, and nothing's really hilariously broken.

If you want to use D20 rules in a modern setting, SpyCraft is probably your best bet, and will work for you better than D20 Modern or True20. If you don't want to deal with D20, look at other generic systems.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.