[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Combat Powers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 18

File: snap-00258.png (313KB, 720x418px) Image search: [Google]
snap-00258.png
313KB, 720x418px
Which is best, not limited to the pic?
Explain your reasoning.
>>
>>48089091
Ones that can be used out of combat, because then you still have a purpose after the war.
>>
>>48089091
anything that produces a stun effect and the higher the speed, the better
>>
>>48089106
Different kind of game, pal.
>>
>>48089141
Hit em all, sort em out later. I like it.
>>
>>48089141
Yes, but what about what cannot be stunned, like boulders flying at your head, mechanisms of doom, or powerful opponents who must be whittled down?
>>
>>48089188
Stun still has the highest expected utility, even if it doesn't solve every situation like time stop does
>>
File: Earthbending is just the best 1.png (312KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Earthbending is just the best 1.png
312KB, 500x375px
>>48089147
No, seriously, powers that have utility to them are so much better even with combat. Because if you can use earth powers to dig trenches then you can use earth powers to build foundations.

Utility powers are just the best, and Earth based ones are some of the most awesome awesome.
>>
File: illyria_humanity.gif (739KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
illyria_humanity.gif
739KB, 245x180px
Just one power?
>>
File: Toph-earth angel.gif (429KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
Toph-earth angel.gif
429KB, 500x309px
>>48089227
So instead of smartassing around you could have simply answered Earthbending?
>>
>>48089208
time stop > mass stun then?
>>
>>48089260
He didn't just mean earthbending though. You're the smartass here.
>>
>>48089260
If other powers had as much utility as Earthbending then they might get picked, but they're limited. I mean, sure, Waterbending let's you make ice structures but those are literally useless everywhere but the arctic, but really useful in the arctic. So if you're in the arctic then arguably Waterbending has more utility. But nobody really wants to live in the arctic do they?
>>
Slight reality bending.

The power to slightly alter reality ao that it suiteas your desire.

One shoots you? Guns shoot flowers
One stabs you? Foam blade
One is casting a spell? Spells can only be cast in ancient sumerian

You need offensive powers? Ok. Your opponents clothes are made with an highly volatile material that explodes upon contact with human skin
>>
>>48089271
time stop is a subset of mass stun
>>
>>48089446
being overpowered is not a power
>>
Telepathy. Heavy utility purposes, high defensive and offensive potential, and above all else lets you pretend you're a jedi.

Second runner up is fire for cooking potential.
>>
Shapeshifting!
SUCK MY TENTACLES IMMA SHOGGOTH
NOMNOMNOMNOM UNSTOPPABLE KILLING MACHINA
>>
>>48089452
OP didn't set a limit didn't he.

If you are scared of powers, then i suggest intangibility at will.
Make yourself untouchable and then stab them from a wall
>>
>>48089472
in this case then the ultimate power is the power of the real life developer console
>>
Instant adaptability/flash evolution on reflex.

You were shot in the head? Adapt with a skull strong enough to deflect the bullet. Eaten by a giant monster? You are now nauseating and poisonous that even touching the creature's tongue makes him puke. Crushed by some OP dick who decided to control gravity? You are now an octopus and can squash your entire body to microfilament levels all across.
>>
>>48089091
Omnipotence, by definition.
>>
>>48089291
Waterbending can also include bloodbending, which is horrendously OP. You could use that shit to force flesh to tear itself apart, or stop the flow of blood in the brain and cause an aneurysm.
>>
>>48089532
Wasn't the baddie who took everyone's bending powers away a bloodbender?
>>
>>48089446

heh reality change is a super power. Possibly even after the fact changes if it's a quantum observation effect..

Overt type:
your enemies armor/weapon is paper mache

Easy just a slight change to reality stuff
Gun jammed or safety on. Round did NOT chamber.
Blades get dulled with use/disuse.
Villain trying to escape in vehicle? Whoops forgot to fill it up with fuel completely.
No Bob was not shot dead! look it just grazed him, hit his belt buckle and bounced off etc...

You just missed me by a tiny bit!

Need something? " I might have it in my pocket"

You forgot to arm the doomsday devices third step or you left the disarm code here on the table.

really the best power even "small" changes could really help.
>>
File: 1456767444333.jpg (337KB, 575x527px) Image search: [Google]
1456767444333.jpg
337KB, 575x527px
Powers are all very circumstantial and relative to you and your surroundings and the setting, for instance.

For example, electricity powers in a modern/technological setting or mud manipulation powers in britain. Ofcourse one that always seems to serve the best no matter what is those of faith. Holy, Unholy and the Druidaic, they're all pretty OP.
>>
File: Ben-Carson.jpg (42KB, 956x519px) Image search: [Google]
Ben-Carson.jpg
42KB, 956x519px
>>48089600
>No Bob was not shot dead! look it just grazed him, hit his belt buckle and bounced off etc...
I told you!
>>
>>48089091
I don't know what's best unless I get to play the omnipotent card, but I know what I tend to get when I have free range of power options. Combat shape shifting nonsense (ninjas attacked? better turn my hand into a fucking sword), regeneration and more mobility-centered upgrades.

As you can imagine Prototype was a huge disappointment once my hype machines hit the actual game, but the protagonist's basic power suite is basically exactly what I want out of superpowers.
>>
>>48089600
>Need something? " I might have it in my pocket"
Every character has that power in Toon.
>>
File: zaheer.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zaheer.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>48089532
>>48089588
A telepathic near instant speed bloodbender who is probably as much of a prodigy as Toph.

Everyone knows air bending is the real MVP until the advent of modern firearms.

>throw projectiles off course
>chemical warfare made easy
>flight
>choke motherfuckers by creating a vacuum around their face

The airbenders were pacifists for a reason.
>>
>>48089291
Also healing, temperature control, plant control (swamp guys), navigation, weather control.
Avatar's elemebts are very broad.
>>
>>48089485
Squids who are essentially like ocopus, die by being crushed to death in a serm whales stomach.

Going really thing does not prefluce going infinately thin. gravity would still fuck you.

The adaption for that would be hyper tenstile strength tissue and water sacs. Basically becoming a walking deep sea creature.
>>
Vector / Kinetic Energy control.
>>
>>48089091
Something that lets you be both defensive and offensive at the same time. This can be achieved in a number of ways, 3 of which are rather apparent/obvious and used most often:

>strength + durability
This is exactly what it says on the tin. Take hits when you have to, and dish out damage to anyone within arms reach. If your enemy is being a coward (read: smart) they'll be staying out of range of you. In this case, find something heavy and throw it at them.

>flight + ranged attack
Already discussed a bit in strength + durability, but often the best way to protect against an attack is to just be out of its range. flight + ranged attack is such a useful combo since it allows you to get out of your enemy's range while they are still in your range.

>summoning / battlefield control
The best way not to get hit in a fight is to let someone or something else get hit for you. Summoning / battlefield control excels at this. If you're summoning, you don't even need to be physically near the fight, and if you're controlling the battlefield, there'll be so many walls, traps, forcefields, or other obstacles between you and your enemy that you might as well be miles away from the fight.
>>
File: rule 63 sakuya.gif (422KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
rule 63 sakuya.gif
422KB, 500x500px
>>48089091
TIME STOP
>>
Entropy control. That should cover time stop and pretty much anything you could want. You could enter a meeting and make it go bad, disolve bullets before the leave a gun, or just stop time all together.
>>
>>48089446
>>48089600
That reminds me of this amulet I made for a GURPS campaign a while back.
It was called the Quantum Black Cat (on account of how black cats are unlucky if they cross your path, but lucky if they follow you. A quantum black cat would be simultaneously in front of and behind you).
The effect was that while each roll you made had a 50% chance to gain +1 in your favor, each roll made /against/ you had the same chance to get +1 as well.

IIRC, the guy who had it had an amazing 5-session hot-streak before waking up tied to a conveyor belt, headed for a sawblade feet-first
>>
>>48089091
The power to teleport things.
>>
File: jack-black-corbis-630-80.jpg (45KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
jack-black-corbis-630-80.jpg
45KB, 630x473px
>>48089091
How about the power to move you?
>>
>>48089091
Damage Relocation.

Someone shoots you in the head? The bullet stops as it reaches your skin and suddenly an impact shatters the opponent's kneecap.

Someone's running away? Smash your fist against the wall and have the impact hit the target's chin.

Someone's trying to beat you to death with super-strength? Use the impacts to crash a building's support columns and send the thing crashing down on the guy.
>>
>>48089672
I feel like later on being able to earth/metal bend fissile material may become pretty dangerous.
>>
>>48089091
Speed or time manipulation. Whatever makes other people move at a near standstill to you.
>>
Omnicience is the strongest single power.

If we bar out powers that outright manipulate the fabric of existance at it's core (space, time, matter) then I'd say telepathy is the strongest.
>>
>>48090151
Entropy is not time you fuckwit. Entropy and time don't even share a causal relationship.
>>
>>48090373
Yeah, but airbenders can still bend materials that undergo nuclear fusion.
>>
>>48091125
Technically we dont know that.
We have no idea if time itself is a decaying process from something before.

Its very unlikely mind, but still.

>>48091186
The power to harness such properties in any meaningful way would be astronomical in requirement.
>>
Gravity/Weight manipulation.
>>
>>48089091
You're a dumbass. My reasoning is that you posted no limits or details whatsoever.
>>
>>48090190
MIND BULLETS
>>
File: Polonium-bending.png (52KB, 335x452px) Image search: [Google]
Polonium-bending.png
52KB, 335x452px
>>48090373
>>
>>48089260
Yes, how dare he contribute interestingly and constructively to the conversation. For shame
>>
>>48089091
Electrokinesis. Way too much raw potential there. With enough practice and understanding, you can become Magneto, and not current gen Magneto, the old cartoon-era Magneto that threw around plasma blasts, put up electromagnetic barriers capable of stopping Cyclops's eye blast, etc.

A bit more understanding and power and you can do truly bullshit stuff, like what you see in Raildex; walking on walls, reactive EM barriers, seeing in the electromagnetic spectrum, railgunning things at people...

Getting into the more fantastical, with contact, you could disintegrate someone by turning off the electromagnetic attraction between their cells. You could manipulate that same cellular electromagnetic attraction to manipulate the form of things by shifting their cellular makeup around, effectively doing alchemy.

Getting into shit that probably won't happen outside of an anime/cartoon or manga/comic book, you could eventually learn to use the EM manipulation to be a walking version of the weapon system used in the Mega Man X, turning raw plasma into a non-plasma substance.

Speaking of plasma, you can condense plasma. EM barriers can reflect heat, which allows the plasma to be, "cold," until something crosses that barrier. You could effectively form a lightsaber from the tips of your fingers. Or in thin air. Mimic Force Push by aligning your polarity with your target's, and increasing the electromagnetic force between yourself and your target.

Electrokinesis into electromagnetokinesis for most flexible power.
>>
>>48096020
I pick the strong nuclear force. GG.
>>
>>48096184
You could, technically, control gravity and weak nuclear force with electromagnetism. Maybe even get access to SNF with practice combining electromagnetism and WNF.
>>
>>48096267
No you can't. They're entirely different. You could simulate some effects, but not replicate.
>>
>>48096267
Not really, they're separate fundamental physical forces and affect different particles in different ways.
>>
>>48096351
>>48096421
Still, being able to learn to mimic the effects of the other three forces of reality would be incredibly powerful, compared to most other powers.
>>
>>48096267
Are you confusing the electroweak force with the strong nuclear force?
>>
>>48096515
Gravity would be a better mimic of the other 3 if that's what you want.
>>
>>48089091
>Which is best
A gun. Preferably a gun better than the guns everyone else has.
>>
>>48089446
That's not slightly, fucko. That's blatant reality bending nigh-omnipotence.

Slight reality bending would be more akin to beneficial entropy - Events which would lead to you being injured tend to go wrong. Guns jam when they are aimed at you, thugs lose their footing because a chocolate bar wrapper flew underneath their foot, a gust of wind carries a brick that would have fallen into your head a couple of feet to the left, that sort of thing.

Actually, that's the power I would pick. Favour of the Lady.
>>
>>48089091
Honestly, I always liked Telekinesis, and for the edgiest reasons imaginable. When I was a dumbass teenager, I would always imagine myself as the guy who is just calmly strolling through a crisis situation/disaster completely untouched, sweeping obstacles from his path with a lazy hand gesture.

Though I suspect had I actually been given Telekinesis, it would have ended up like that one move, Chronicle, where the autistic kid spazzes out and destroys downtown NYC in a showdown with his buddy who keeps trying to tell him to calm the fuck down.
>>
>>48096984
Casting Assistance Devices from Irregular at Magic High School can be built to look like spell guns. They allow you to cast a spell with greater speed and stability.

A CAD can look like just about anything: bracelets, pendants, terminals, melee weapons, but guns are also fairly common.
>>
>>48089485
You adapt to the bullet when you've already been shot?
>>
>>48097515
I think he's referring more to something along the lines of SCP-682 or Crawler(from Worm). They have that power(to varying degrees; Crawler can't control his adaptations, but they're almost all offensive and universally permanent, while 682 can control its adaptations, though the offensive ones tend to only last a few weeks, with only the defensive ones being permanent) along with massive amounts of regeneration.

Crawler's immune to being shot in the head because his skull is super-thick and his brain is decentralized; 682 is immune to being shot, period, across most of his body, because fuck bullets, those fucking things hurt.
>>
>>48090015
Came here to post this.

Time stop is unbeatable. What are you going to do? You can't defend against it, you can't even perceive it. And not the pansy, fake ass 'moving faster than everyone else' shit, actual stopping the flow of time.

>stop time
>casually walk around and stab your enemy in the head a few times
>let time flow again
>WRYYYYYYYYYY
>>
File: 1435362183543.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1435362183543.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
>>48089091
Shounen Protag plot armor.
>>
>>48099208
>Za Warudo!
>Toki wo tomare.
>>Walk around stabbing each enemy in the throat several times.
>Soshite, toki wa ugoki dasu.
>>Everyone falls over, dead
>>
>>48089091
Mick a best.
>>
>>48099208
But ultimately useless if you cannot do something against your enemy during the time you've stopped. For example, an opponent with regenerative abilities can be wounded, but it's only a temporary setback. You could also be up against something with invulnerability, at which point you can only (pardon the expression) buy yourself some time.

An opponent who is displaced from time and is not subject to its flow is completely impervious to time stop, it just wouldn't impede them in any way.

And of course, there's always batman levels of preptime. Doesn't matter if you can stop time, you can't stop the bat.
>>
>>48099846
>regeneration
You could be Esdeath. Her primary shtick is bullshit-tier demonic ice magic, which she somehow finagled into being able to stop - well, "freeze" - time. She stabs you while time is stopped, her magic still works, and you start freezing before time starts back up again, completely ending your regeneration by killing the cells in the surrounding area faster than they can regenerate the damage by freezing them solid.

And how often do you meet someone that's legitimately displaced from time? Those are pretty damn rare, even in high-power settings.

You are right about not being able to stop the bat, though.
>>
>>48089091
Memes
>Enemy's face when no qt3.14 gf
>YFW you memed his entire lifestyle into a joke on the internet
>>
>>48090190
kek'd
>>
File: ZA WARUDO.jpg (232KB, 728x1590px) Image search: [Google]
ZA WARUDO.jpg
232KB, 728x1590px
Time control.
>>
File: latest[2].png (744KB, 984x808px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].png
744KB, 984x808px
>>48089091
Being unperceivable to all senses.
>>
>>48089091
The power of friendship.
>>
The World is the best power.
>>
The best powers are the really vague "umbrella powers" that potentially contain a lot of other powers. Stuff like general psychic powers or magic, maybe even super science.

Psychic powers can be telepathy, all of the -kinesis powers (tele, pyro, cryo, electro, etc.) as well as stuff like clairvoyance and precognition. There's even some psychic healing stuff.

Magic is incredibly vague and potentially varied; you can have a spell for pretty much anything. It's basically reality warping with some rules.

Super science can also justify almost anything if you can build a machine to do it.
>>
>>48089091
Anything precog.
>>
People keep saying THE WORLD is the best power. But it's honestly not even the best piece of DIO's kit.

He's a fucking vampire with an IQ in the 200s+. He'll live forever barring meddling Joestars, and he passively mind controls the people around him, with long range suicide bomb obedience options as well. Not to mention the whole instantly turning things he touches to ice, firing super heated blood lasers, creating an army of super soldiers loyal to him...

THE WORLD is only the tip of that overpowered fuck's power set. I'd rather just be DIO without it than only have his stand.
>>
Patience
>>
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Supernatural_Powers_and_Abilities
>>
File: enemy stand.png (1MB, 922x657px) Image search: [Google]
enemy stand.png
1MB, 922x657px
Gotta agree with some of the anons here saying time control. That is to say, as long you were unable to age or something. Aging while you've stopped time would be shit, but being forever young when time is stopped would pretty much give you forever to study, read, plan and prep, and also fuck with people.

Not to mention time is a dimension of the universe, and If you were to reset a portion of an area to, say, 300 or so million years ago, the space in that area should be reset as well. You could reset the time on fossils to bring dinos back to life. You could turn certain areas 7 billion years ahead, creating a contained field of the suns red giant phase on earth. Plus you could just increase your time and accelerate yourself.

TLDR: Time powers a best
>>
>>48108509
>Your enemy can do nothing as he ages rapidly, skipping all those birthdays and Christmases, missing his children grow up and forget he ever existed, completely alone as he wither away into a crumpled heap of dust and loneliness

Too edgy?
>>
>>48089091
Hydrokinesis with no Manton Limit. You just win against all organic life.
>>
>>48101330
>The best powers are the really vague "umbrella powers"
Yeah, which is why they're retarded. It's like Gambit from X-men. He's got "kinetic energy manipulation". I mean fuck, what does that even mean? He can just straight up control ANY kinetic energy, no constraints? Following that line of logic, you can easily argue that he's able to do nearly everything you can think of.

I think I prefer powers that are just rather mundane, but can be used creatively.
>>
>>48089091
Luck manipulation.
Make yourself lucky all the time, make your enemy unlucky as soon as you figure they're your enemy for added effect.
Even if they have soopah can't beat this powers like time manipulation they're always liable to fuck up, and if you can somehow ensure they will fuck up then you have your opening. And then if you're facing up against impossible odds but you're really really lucky, you're entirely liable to stumbling into the solution to any problem out of blind luck.

Arguably, it's the power of plot armor manipulation, and there's nothing that can beat plot armor except in some extreme cases more plot armor. But arguably it's also validating the "NUH-HUH YOU DIDN'T HIT ME" of mary sue battles with no outcomes.
>>
The power to instantly ban anyone or anything to pocket dimensions which feature individual conditions like altered passage of time, extreme climate, or obsidian instead of air.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.