[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I were to write a relatively fleshed out campaign setting,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: shrug.png (20KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.png
20KB, 560x407px
If I were to write a relatively fleshed out campaign setting, could I potentially sell it? Would anyone buy it? What all would it need to have for anyone to give a shit?

Or is it one of those "if you build it, they will come" type of things?
>>
>>48049476
Write the base setting out and set it as "Pay What You Like"

Then charge for expanded content. But don't make it unreasonable or no one will buy anything.

Think of it like DLC.
>>
What systemare you writing for anyway?
>>
It's hard to make a buck as a fantasy writer aye?

I think coming alongside with a robust ruleset is always the best way to sell a setting; and/or having a lot of prepackaged resources already figured out, like town/dungeon layouts and stats for important persons and quest hooks.

Getting some hype for the setting through something like a series of fantasy novels or webcomics set in the universe is a good start.
>>
>>48049476
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer: If you put a shit ton of leg work, tireless nights, even more play testing, have a team of editors and work your ass off on it to the degree your ass could be on the pole- possibly. If you have done all of that, make the right contacts in the right places who are interested in what you are putting down and do not receive any interference from people inside said place then- yes with some certainty you could sell a a campaign setting that would likely be used as a module.

The sad truth is however that it won't be nearly worth the amount of effort you put into it. Most campaign module writers don't make much money. However it you are a good writer, and you do all that maybe you should try writing a fantasy novel.
>>
>>48050494
Wanna try a system neutral thing for ease of use.
>>
>>48050658
Best of luck to you.
>>
>>48050658
Really, really bad idea. Attach it to a game and expand from there, don't try and wrote something that doesn't include a bestiary or custom content for a game.
>>
File: 1436242674314.jpg (593KB, 2500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1436242674314.jpg
593KB, 2500x1500px
>>48049476
Better learn to write crunch for that setting, if you write it as a totally "open" setting without rules attached to it from the get-go, no one will want to read it unless you've got some crazy good setting writing skills
>>
>>48050658
As a consumer of splatbooks I'd say this isn't a good idea UNTIL your setting will sell on it's own strength.

I cannot stress how much more accessible bundling your setting with a rules system makes it for trying to break into the market.

The only sorta system neutral splatbook I've ever bought were for Glorantha, which has been around for almost half a century and even those were sorta skewed towards use in Runequest or Heroquest.

System neutral doesn't sell because it lacks a predefined market of system users.
>>
>>48049476
Considering people can make bank selling .pdfs of short lists of items, locations and names, I'd say yes.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.