[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vent Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 44

File: dungeons-dragons_L155.jpg (59KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
dungeons-dragons_L155.jpg
59KB, 628x480px
What are some things that have been bothering you about your most recent game? Minor nitpicks, personal gripes, and other little things like that.

Here's a thread to vent, and maybe get a solution to your woes.
>>
>>48029587
A few sessions ago, my GM mentioned that elite goblin warriors in his setting undergo a ritual where their skin is burned, flayed and healed by their shamans over and over, and that the process leaves their scarred body pitch black. The goblins call these warriors "Goblin Blackskins," which I thought was a kind of unintentionally unfortunate title at the time but figured it was innocent enough not to say anything about.

However, last week the GM had us face off against "Goblin Blackskin" warriors for the first time, and revealed that they're all spearmen. Specifically, the GM said that they're called "Blackskin Spear-Chuckers," and used this term to refer to them every time they did something, so now I'm thinking the GM is probably kind of racist and as the one black guy at the table it's making me kind of uncomfortable
>>
File: dungeons-dragons_L143.jpg (36KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
dungeons-dragons_L143.jpg
36KB, 600x448px
>>48029706
Holy fuck

I'm actually not sure what to say to that
>>
>>48029706
You should politely inform him this makes you a little uncomfortable, entirely because of the name.
>>
>>48029706
Maybe suggest referring to them as Scar-skinned instead?
>>
I'm bothered, that I couldn't get a game for a few months even though I have 10 willing to play my whfb campaign.
There are never more than 3 free for a weekend and that's fucking annoying.
People working three shifts and students don't go well together with time schedules I guess.
>>
>>48029587
One of our players has become the baron of the area and now he's all busy doing administrative stuff in-game. One of our other players is a merchant who's happy just moping about building and buying shit. Last other player is currently in a coma and would probably just sit and act bored even if he was awake.

I'm playing a swordsman and I have fuck-all to do. I kinda wanna visit this village we passed a long time ago to meet up with this cute sorceress chick that can further a plotline, but since we don't want to split the party, I'm stuck here and I have no clue what to do. We're sort of in an awkward position, because the baron can't just up and leave his domain because of some shit going on, but it's just kind of boring to not have anything to do.

It doesn't help that I have to sit there and listen to these autists confer with their advisors and staff over the most menial shit. I'm told I should get into the whole administrative "fun" as well, but first off that doesn't sound much like fun to me, and it would be grossly out of character for my dude to do so anyway.

I'm at a loss. Only decent alternative for me so far has been bantering with the local NPCs, which thankfully is pretty fun since our DM good at improv. But it's just wasting time waiting for these other guys to get their stuff in order so we can do something together again.

I have asked them if they need my help with anything, but they don't, and would actually prefer to keep certain things secret from me. (For IC reasons probably.)
>>
"This thing's going to explode if you keep ignoring it."

I wouldn't have to ignore it if you didn't insist on being obtuse about any possible solution. Asshole.
>>
>>48029706
i don't get it
>>
>>48029706
Nigger.
>>
>>48029932
While that does sound pretty boring, your feelings seem like a parallel to what your swordsman character would actually be experiencing, having to sit on his haunches and wait for something exciting to happen.

Depending on how you play him, maybe have this lull be a reason for him to cause some trouble. Gambling, underground fighting, or maybe just have him start exploring skills and trades he wouldn't normally have time for.

About the sorceress, tell your GM that your character sent word for her to come to you with some sort of proposition or other enticing information; if you can't leave to get the hook then try bringing it to you.

Lastly, if your GM seems content to let the party stay still long enough to run a barony, then try to rise to a position of power in the region, one that suits your character's preferences.

Ask him to throw in some combat encounters; raids, general discontent in the town, thieves, anything works, and then use these events as leverage to become captain of the guard or something.
>>
File: ninjaswat.gif (2MB, 400x194px) Image search: [Google]
ninjaswat.gif
2MB, 400x194px
>>48029587
Pathfinder. DM insists on using fucking crit fumble rules on a nat 1. Stab allies, dorp weapon, lose attacks kind of shit.

I really want to play a twf rogue but I'm scared to
>>
My group started a Pathfinder game back around February or March, and we ultimately stopped because school was getting in the way of sessions. Since May, we haven't really had to deal with any school obligations except the GM who had to finish his job at the local high school. It's been a couple weeks, at least, and I've been trying to get the party together to either rekindle the Pathfinder game, I've offered to run Only War to help relieve the GM, and people have expressed interest for both games, but nobody feels like putting any commitment towards getting the group back together for RPGs. We hang out every so often and everything, them a lot more than me, but yeah I'm just getting frustrated and tired of trying to put everything together while having nobody put any effort of their own into it.
>>
>>48029706
Depending on how many black friends he has had, and my assumption is that number is very low, it's possible that he's being insensitive purely by accident.
Don't rule out the chance that this person, by pure lack of exposure to specific social groups, is being an asshat without even realizing what he's doing.
A conversation is the best way forward.
>>
>>48029587
Savage Worlds - GM insists on using RAW in the setting book; thereby making every NPC openly hostile to everyone except the priest.
>>
My players get pissy if I don't remind them that the game is happening. It's been happening at the same time every day for the last few months. On the few times the schedule was different, i made sure that everyone was made aware, but I still got people bitching that it was my fault they couldn't be bothered to listen and remember and pay attention.
>>
>>48030558
>/pol/ gms and forgets to hide his powerlevel
In all honesty, it does sound inadverdently fucky, though.
>>
Our GM's encounters are horribly unbalanced. They are either trivial smackdowns or death given form. Nothing in between
>>
>>48029932
Strive towards creating your own band of brigands to raid and pillage the baron's area.
>>
>>48029587
One of my players, being possessed by the 'tism, spends minutes detailing a single action.
On a more personal note, another player has tried to pass themselves off as weeb to me, and their powerlevel was sorely lacking. I just want someone to discuss my shitty mongolian cave paintings with.
>>
>>48029587
My gm is adamant about nat 1s and nat 20s on skill checks having disastrous/amazing results.

So, even though my military-trained scout with a +12 in lockpicking and expertise in the skill has loads of experience picking locks, he has a 1 in 20 chance of fucking it up nightmarishly.
>>
>>48030757
That's not an issue if you're allowed to take 10, because then you can only critically fail on rolls that are actually fairly difficulty.
>>
>>48030879
The kind of GMs that make up and enforce fumble rules usually balk at 'take 10' and look for reasons to invalidate it
>>
File: cb13.jpg (24KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
cb13.jpg
24KB, 400x240px
Every player in my group has a speech impediment of some sort. Stuttering, stammering, Elmer Fudd speech, annoying laughter (Woody Woodpecker-tier), etc. There's also fascinated by lolsorandom and sexual humor, so naturally they stick boobs and adamantine boxes of rape everywhere. But since they're the only group in my small town, I have no real choice.
>>
>>48030902
Yeah, my DM won't let me take 10 generally.
>>
>>48030931
Also, they talk out of turn too much. Commentary and advice is fine, but they metagame and interfere with each other like fuck.
>>
I keep wanting to like Exalted, but it keeps being written by retarded faggots.
>>
>>48030931
Stand-in GM threw a hissy fit because half the group (myself included) tried to follow up on a plot point stand-in GM introduced, because we followed up on it 'too soon'. The stand-in GM's response to us getting off the rails was to have the goddess of time manifest herself in front of us, tell us off for following up on the plot point too early saying it 'destroyed the future', and rewriting the universe to a week in game time prior so we could all get back on the GM's plot rails and continue the 'natural course of events'.

I wouldn't even mind so much, if there was an actual story being told. Aside from the plot hook we're not supposed to touch yet, there is nothing else to do. Trying to get out into the city to find a plot hook only gets us a blank look from our whiny railroad conductor.
>>
File: 1466553853422.gif (1001KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466553853422.gif
1001KB, 640x480px
My IT office job could be a hell of a lot worse, but it leaves me so drained that I can't enjoy anything anymore.

I used to love tabletop games but it has fallen to the wayside. I just want to sit at home, pour a TALL glass of wine and fuck around on the internet.

I was designing my own system and setting and fortunately I still get a little bit done every couple weekends. But I'm just too tired to GM or even play anymore. Being an introvert in an open office sucks.
>>
>>48031497
Lucky you.
I work ten to twelve hour shifts lifting fifty pound boxes all day.
>>
>>48031515
Wow dude lucky you, I work 24 hours a day being chained to a fucking rock while birds peck out my internal organs.
>>
>>48031547
Fuck off Prometheus, no one cares about your faggy little flame, we have the internet now.
>>
>>48029587
My current group started out playing 4e, and now half of them have somehow developed this idea that each system that isn't 4e is "bad" because their idea of what an average TTRPG is like is completely warped. I've tried running one-offs in 5e, FATE, Dark Heresy, Only War, and even freeform, and they've called all of it "shit".

That, however, isn't even the worst part of it. The worst part is that they do dislike one thing about 4e. FUCKING COMBAT. They dislike the combat in a system that has practically nothing but combat rules, yet they still somehow shit on every other system I've tried. I just don't understand.
>>
>>48033075
Keep trying systems, but ask them to pick them out or even buy them. Tell them you're tired of 4E if you have to.
>>
>>48031515
>>
>>48033075
....so it is true. The 4rries are developing the brain damage they claimed PF players have.
>>
>>48029706
I'll take "Things I made up because I'm having a bad day" for $500, Alex.
>>
>>You see a row of shoddy wooden doors lining the halls. Testing them you find that rust has sealed the locks shut.
>I want to kick the closest door open.
>>Sure. Roll a strength check.
>15
>>You kick down the door with such a force it's thrown off the hinges and (investigation of room).
>Nothing here. Kicking down the next door.
>20
>>The door stays firm and does not budge an inch.
>Okay. I'll take 20 which ends in a 26.
>>The door creeks in protest but after a few more kicks you finally knock it off its hinges.
>Why was this one so hard? I'll take a look at it while the others investigate the room.
>>The door is the same as the other door in every way, except there's about 10% more rust on one hinge.
Yeah, bullshit like this. Arbitrarily raising DCs if Someone is "too skilled" in that certain task.
>>
>>48029587
One of the players hasn't done jack and shit, and has always been on her phone. I fucking hate that, and she sits and bitches to me how it's boring.

Holy fuck, your playing a DRUID! Sure, we might be in a urban setting, but come on!
Or, the fucking fact that I SAID WE WERE PLAYING a viking campaign, but NO ONE FUCKING PUT THAT IN THEIR BACKSTORY NOW DID THEY?!
God damn, or the fucking half-dragon with over 30 AC, at level fucking 3, or the fact that even though I planned out this campaign, half of them say it's "worse then the last one" which was literally just me making shit up. What's fucking worse, is that half of them never even fucking show up, and the ones that do cite that they "don't have anything to do." WELL THAT'S YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM! Why? Because you dipshits didn't make a backstory, which I specifically told you. Or the fucking fact that they want the old DM back, because "I'm making it too hard." Holy fuck, I sent you cunts against a MILITARY CARGO SHIP and you dipshits decided to set it on fire, try to fucking waterboard the captain, WHILE IT'S ON FIRE, and fight two spellcasters.
Shit. And everyone knows if I wasn't DM, then we'd either have "everything is CR+6 and above for the group", StatsyMcMinmaxer, who'll make everything impossible to hit, or the faggot that always comes high.

If anyone can tell me how the fuck I can prove myself to my group, tell me. I'm a DM with a year's and a half experience so far.
>>
>>48030931
>>48031090
>>48031353
I'm so sorry
>>
>>48033429
>nothing ever happens hurr durr dedurr
>>
File: 1446092457134.jpg (135KB, 736x550px) Image search: [Google]
1446092457134.jpg
135KB, 736x550px
>hang out with some friends in a cabin over a week
>ask them if they want to play a one-shot of D&D, they say yes
>plan it out for two days
>5 players are in the game
>one player goes to sleep within 30 minutes of play
>another two get tired within 2-3 hours
>the two remaining want to keep playing but can't because everyone is tired
>they didn't get anywhere in the adventure because they had trouble making decisions and since it was so short
>they still enjoyed it and thanked me for GMing

I just feel weird about it.
>>
>>48033887
>If anyone can tell me how the fuck I can prove myself to my group, tell me

Do something fun. But in all honesty that just sounds like a shitty group.
>>
>>48029706
Did he inform the party that they should never relax around them?
>>
>>48029706

To be fair the tendency to portray goblins as a tribal species might come off insensitive towards natives on itself, mainly because they always make strong correlations between their tribalism and their savagery

And yes, I know there's a lot of real world tribes that have been and still are as bad as goblins but I just find it weird that they still dare to make that correlation to this day in which PC culture is stronger than ever
>>
>>48029706
Does he have any subraces that seem particularly jew-y?
>>
>>48033757
>pry hinge free and put in backpack. speak of it in hushed tones as if it is a powerful magic item.
>>
>>48033757
Doesn't 4e or 5e have that problem that skill challenge difficulty scales with level? I just remember someone complaining about Xe that the same wall that is DC 10 to climb to a level 1 commoner is DC 30 to a level 20 legendary ranger.
>>
File: 2015-09-09_2234.png (61KB, 244x192px) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-09_2234.png
61KB, 244x192px
>Have 18(+4) strenght and proficiency in athletics with a +3 bonus
>DM still won´t let me lift anything heavier than a sack of potatoes or overpower anything stronger than a dwarf commoner unless I roll a natural 20

This is why martials are fucked, it´ts not the system, GM´s just don´t like them being useful
>>
I joined a game thinking it was a magical realm game, and it turned out to be an average if anime-inspired pathfinder game. I'm still a lady barbarian with 20 str, so I'm having fun, I just wish I could also be fucking that sentient wolf I befriended.
>>
>>48034306
Just show him that you can bench press an obese 295 pound merchant by RAW without any rolls required and I'm pretty sure he'll back down.
>>
>>48030490
That's funny, my DM(Council of Thieves) does the same exact thing. We have a monk in our party that has so far "pulled his groin" 3 times now. He even has a little chant that he says every time it happens, something about the Wheel of Fate.

You wouldn't happen to be playing a Qui-gon monk, would you?
>>
>>48034306
Your GM is just a dumb asshole.
>>
>>48034353
Just be cute with it, treat it like a pupper.
>>
Mtg opponent got way too salty about losing against my aggro werewolf deck because he has too many high cmc cards so he could almost never cast two spells a turn to flip mine back. Add in getting bitchy whenever I slammed one of his heavy hitters with a moonlight hunt or eot boosted everything with a Howlpack resurgence or drew my only copy of collected company and castes it eot with a transformed vildlin pack alpha in play.

Also, one dude just does not understand a think about playing in-character in a horror ttrpg we are playing and makes just too many jokes whil we are running from horrors.
>>
>>48034513
>makes just too many jokes whil we are running from horrors.
Tough crowd, tough crowd.
Speaking of horrors, wanna take a look at my wedding photo?
>>
>>48034567
HEYOOOOOO!
>>
>>48034567
It's more annoying as he IC is making these jokes at the detriment of the rest of the party since he does not assist (Assisting other players is VITAL to group survival in this system) at all in crucial moments that ended up nearly getting one character killed, but wasn't since we blew every karma point we collectively gathered to save his ass.
>>
>DM draws map out on whiteboard
>Asks us all where we're standing
>I state I'm standing near the NPC that is in the area with us, as he was about to show me a box
>"Here abouts anon?"
>Points in-between 2 lines drawn on the map
>sure that works
>"Ok test Dex"
>whut
>I test Dex, roll pretty shit
>"Ok you take 2 damage from tripping on the cart rails
>I start to object, but he says that I should ask what things are before interacting with them

Felt like a pretty dick move, even if I got back the HP relatively soon.

If my character has the int it does, it would have known that they were rails, and would have not fallen in them/would have not walked on them.
>>
>>48031016
Hey new to /tg/ what do you mean by take a ten?
>>
>>48034685
In some editions of D&D you are allowed to "take 10" on a skill check during a non-stressful downtime (for example: picking the lock to a bedroom in a empty house). This means you treat your check as if you rolled a 10 and then add all applicable modifiers.
>>
>>48034646
Similar shit, absolutely hate this.
> Party walks into a room
> Room is described as a walkway surrounding a pool of liquid gold
> I think to myself, "Okay, well I don't want to touch liquid gold, that's like touching lava."
> DM anounces that the wizard(me) jumps in there out of greed, because she's Lawful Evil
> Whole party has to save the wizard

I don't even fucking care anymore. Why the hell would the smartest character in the whole party, with an intelligence of 22, who can literally just say, "Oh, I take 25 on a knowledge engineering check, I know that the melting point of gold is 2000 degrees fahrenheit.. The melting point of a human is 200 degrees.." She's literally the party's voice of reason and most trusted party member, despite being the only evil character.
>>
>>48033943
Sounds like half the group thought they were signing up for a game of monopoly instead of a role playing game.
>>
>>48034112
I mean, the dwarves don't even need to be changed really.
>>
>>48029587
Having to play with people who insist that doors on plastic building for 40k count as a firepoint then shooting every damn thing out of it. If I have to put up with this shit, then as a firepoint it should only allow 1 model to fire, not all of them. Or just leave it as a solid bit of plastic that obscures LoS since that is what it is anyway.
>>
File: 1400175950518.jpg (27KB, 408x486px) Image search: [Google]
1400175950518.jpg
27KB, 408x486px
>>48029587
My players only want Forgotten Realms. No matter the system or the setting, they just want everything to be Forgotten Realms because that's somehow the only sort of fantasy they can conceptualize. I pretty much live for worldbuilding, so this is slowly killing me.

Two of my three players are extreme introverts and social outcasts, which means any game we play they have utterly no clue how to operate around people, and will default to Chaotic Neutral fucksticks within a second of having to communicate anything to anyone. The third one is just as bad, but he's an extroverted robot/psychopath. Like, I really think he has no ability to empathize with human beings or other creatures in-game that feel. When asked a hypothetical situation, he is most likely to give pedantic answers that question the premise first, and then choose to do things only a robot would choose. He literally cannot understand why anyone would ever take a mechanically non-Optimized option in-game when you could just go Wizard, regardless of character.

None of them set goals for their characters, so every game turns into Cat-Herding 101 right off the bat. They could not be arsed to come up with anything aside from anti-social shit that just mean the party can't function. And the one time a player made an interesting character with goals and ambitions, he decided afterwards he was "triggered" by accidently rolling an autistic person, and won't ever make interesting characters again.

I'm just so frustrated all the time. Pic related is mfw.
>>
>>48029587

Not exactly a vent, more like a vent/worry.

So I've got a group with two switchoff DMs. They're both quite good, but one in particular is an absolute genius. And we ran this great arc of campaigns, (I hesitate to call it one campaign because most of the time we played different characters, but it was all one setting and often stuff we did in previous campaigns had impacts on later ones). I've told the story previous about how we failed to interrupt a critical demon summoning ritual, it's the same GM.

And we were running along this campaign arc of ours, and about two years ago we played a new campaign, was fun. Then he announced he was a bit "burned out" and wanted to take an extended hiatus, not just the usual break between campaigns he did.

That's cool, we all need rests at times, right? Well, last month, he says he's *finally* ready to resume the arc, and we're going to have the big enchilada. We pull out our old character sheets, we get our stuff ready, and we play one session. Hard to know exactly what's going on, and he always has twists down the line, we spent most of it trying to get our bearings in character.

Then he misses a week
And a second week
And a third
Calls a session for fourth week, is setting up, and then announces that he can't do this anymore, with literal tears in his eyes, and that he's not sure whether or not to hang up his GM hat for good.

I'm not mad, honestly more worried. (Ok, a very little selfishly mad, but I feel bad for feeling that way), and I want to help, but I totally have no idea how.
>>
>>48034874
DMs are players too anon. If you're not having fun you don't have to do it. It's not your job.
>>
>>48034765
That's just Bullshit anon. Your DM probably doesn't want you to play an evil character, but instead of being a big boy and telling you, he passive aggressively takes control of your character to make it do dumb shit
>>
>>48034896
Do you know if he has depression or some form of mental illness in real life? If you know him IRL just try to be there for him.

I had a friend who started acting the same way with something he loved (music). He just stopped playing alltogether after a short period of time.

Try to get him some help of some sort if you can, he may need it
>>
>>48034944
This is pretty amusing too, because he's the one that approached me and asked me to play an evil character in his campaign. His only request was that I make sure I have a code of conduct(being lawful evil)

I ended up going with something like the Doctor Doom moral code. Don't kill associates(Unless they try to kill me first), Don't kill kids, and never break your word(But only the absolute letter of it. Such as "I will not harm a HAIR on his head").

Again, also apparently the voice of reason in the party.

Naw, he's probably mad at me because I'm too fucking good at playing a wizard. My wizard doesn't have a single damage dealing spell in her entire book, only utility. So I break all his puzzles with MATH, break all of the magic traps with Detect magic + wand of erase, break all of his physical traps with wand of unseen servant, and break all of his encounters by putting haste on the monk.

he only recently discovered that Symbol spells automatically trigger when erased.
>>
A little while ago my friend had me watch Les Miserables and I thought Gavroche was kind of neat, so I made a tiefling thief based on him for an IRC game I app'd for. He spoke for the inhuman underclass that was prevalent in the slums and knew the market of the sprawling city where we began like the back of his hand. Looked mostly like a human kid except for horns.

I asked DM if this was okay, and he said yes.

That was two sessions ago. Since then we've had two combats and every enemy seems to make a bee line for my character. On top of that, when an enemy hits another PC the DM describes it as "[fighter] is struck by the footpad's dagger, leaving a bloody gash" or "the rat takes a grisly divot out of [resident codzilla]." But the few times my tiefling kid has been hit have been really fucking gruesome. I can't remember the exact word-for-word but this is pretty close:

"[Tiefling] is ripped across the chest by the thief's rusty dagger, splitting open his ratty tunic and the flesh beneath, giving him the sudden urge to cry for his mother while his despoiled demonic lifeblood pours out on the ground."

Most recently my character got hit by a mace and my DM vividly described the bruising of intestine and made my fucking roll constitution to not piss myself. When I inevitably failed (hurr thief with constitution) the resultant humiliation description was about a paragraph long.

I kind of feel like he's picking on me for having a young character despite specifically asking if it was alright beforehand, but I don't want to bring it up because, well, I've had a lot of trouble finding a game that's on my schedule and I can't really risk losing this one. What do I do?
>>
>>48035005

>Do you know if he has depression or some form of mental illness in real life?

No, but I'll freely admit I don't know him that well outside of the gaming circle.

I would also like to add that he was a bit weird ever since the last campaign in that arc. He felt it wasn't quite as good as the one before it (might have had a point) and that he wasn't able to recapture what he had. I'll again reiterate that I actually don't know him super well, but the impression I got was always akin to some super-bad performance anxiety rather than a more blanket depression.
>>
>>48034508
I was trying to.
>>
>>48035057
>Tiefling
>cry for his mom

This doesn't happen, Tieflings are frequently orphaned demonspawn that know nothing of a mother's protection and love. Also, you're a rogue, you're probably a self-self-sufficient type who's fended for himself for years. Hell you might resent her as a whore.
Call him on his bullshit next time, he's making you act out of character.
>>
>>48034109
>PC culture
At first I thought you were suggesting the tendency to murderhobo was becoming increasingly common in the real-world
>>
>>48029932
>administrative fun
Jesus christ are you playing with Ben from Parks and Recreation?
>>
File: 1467090356835.png (397KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1467090356835.png
397KB, 500x378px
>>48034874
I think your extrovert might be a replicant anon. Watch him.
>>
The DM keeps using the king's most talented assassin as a helpful force.

If we're struggling with a fight, suddenly he appears and kills a few of the mobs then is gone again. I'm annoyed by it but the rest of the party seem to like it.
>>
>>48029706
I'll be honest, this is flying right over my head.
>>
>>48029587
I have been trying for 5 fucking years to get in a 40k rpg, or a dnd or anything on roll 20 but never get much interest.
Living out fucking nowhere sucks
>>
>>48036910
I feel you.

I want to play 40k RPG or 5e but my friends only like Pathfinder, which I hate.
>>
>>48030162
Go back to /b/ you remtard.
>>
>>48029827
Why do you need more? 2-4 is optimal number of players
>>
>>48036885
>>48030069
Spear-chucker is an old timey racist term for black folk which hearkens back to their African heritage where they would be generalized as uncivilized tribals who still relied on spears in a time of gunpowder.
>>
just started a 5e game. one guys character really fucking annoying.
>>
>>48036938
>>48036910
I feel the both of you, but I managed to get my group to play Dark Heresy. Only to see them lose interest and give up on it.

Is it better to have played and lost or never played at all?
>>
>>48037074
It's very wrong to call them spear-chuckers. They didn't chuck their spears, they wielded them on melee.

The correct term is spear stabber, I say.
>>
Goddamn Jedi and goddamn fucking Sith.

My captcha was milkshakes and I picked motor oil. Still went through.
>>
I have to vent about That Guy at my sessions every once in a while so thank you for the thread.

>Creates special zany characters and gets upset when I veto them. This especially comes into play when he comes up with a new character and tries to kill his old one so he can play his new one
>Goes on "zany" adventures that just end up taking up a lot of time
>Gets upset when he perceives that the homebrew concessions I let him have aren't powerful enough when the alternative is to not have them at all
>Whenever he speaks in his character's voice, no matter which character, all he starts doing is some weird slow whisper that's really hard to understand
>Makes terrible decisions all the time and justifies it as "it's what my character would do" even when it clearly is not
>He interrupts. All the time. When I'm trying to answer somebody's question, he jumps up with his own question and demands it answered immediately. When I'm trying to describe a room he'll interrupt with another question about the room that he would have gotten the answer to if he waited another 5 seconds (this isn't a case of him trying to expand on a detail, this is him asking completely unrelated things about the room, like asking if he can find a trapdoor while I'm still detailing the contents of the room).
>He interrupts with his own actions while I'm still narrating someone else's actions. A particularly egregious example is when I was narrating a touching scene where the party druid was helping the survivors of a destroyed fishing town make rafts so they can do their viking funeral and midway he just yells out "OH I BLESS THE BODIES" and completely ruins the scene
>>
>>48037542
>He adjudicates other people's actions when that's meant to be my job and ends up just creating confusion. Like he tells the rogue she has sneak attack when she actually doesn't, just tells people they have advantage on ability checks because he's helping them when he actually can't etc. Sometimes he'll "remind" people of abilities they don't actually have like telling the Tiefling she's immune to fear effects.
>He min maxes so hard that he actually min maxes other peoples turns for them. He tells people what actions to take so that he can combo off them later.
>He never pays attention when it's anything not concerning him. Even though he's probably the one who gets the most solo attention due to all his "zany" bullshit adventures, he never pays attention when its anyone else who is getting focused on. Not only does he not pay attention, he brings out his phone and starts looking up literal memes and starts showing it to the other players and distracting them. Sometimes he does this at critical plot points or in very emotional moments in the story
>Even though the party is pretty large (8 players) and he causes half my distractions, he gets visibly angry when I forget something he says and ask him to repeat himself. Like he'll act incredibly indignant as if he can't believe that anyone could space out for a second and forget what he said his attack roll was
>Despite not actually reading the rules, he tries to rules lawyer really hard in order to convince me to let him do certain things that he obviously should not be able to do
>Not only that but he refers to random online homebrews as his sources such as telling me how much damage a butterfly sword should do
>Accuses me of railroading at every opportunity despite very clear evidence to the contrary
>If even one character goes down during a fight he protests very loudly that I'm just trying to cause a TPK for my own amusement
>>
>>48037553
>Thinks that my job as DM is to essentially just let him do anything he wants and that he should be able to roll for anything and theoretically succeed at anything if he rolls high enough
>Whenever a player is missing for a session I just make their character go into a form of stasis for the session. He interprets this to mean he can take their equipment and use it as he sees fit, up to and including single use items
>He hoards all the loot and insists he deserves it more. He's been arguing with the party book loving wizard for the past two sessions about why he deserves to read the charisma raising book more than the wizard does
>He metagames all the time. As soon as I say a monsters name he looks it up in the monster manual to prepare for it. This creates bigger problems when I homebrew and upgrade certain monsters to suit the party level and he throws a hissy fit when a certain monster shouldn't be able to do that much damage or has higher AC than the manual says it should
>He seems to think that the game is me vs my players. To that end it takes forever to get anything done because he always assumes I’m about to kill one of the players or an NPC ally. For example in the latest session, it took 20 minutes for me to get an NPC to just walk outside his house because That Guy kept insisting (for no good in game reason) that the NPC would die as soon as they left the safety of their house and kept trying to restrain them
>>
File: 1454730526554.png (25KB, 375x325px) Image search: [Google]
1454730526554.png
25KB, 375x325px
>>48037565
>Despite the fact that we're in a homebrew setting, he insists on using knowledge of race relations from the Forgotten Realms as the basis for his in game knowledge despite my repeated reminders that they've been changed for the setting
>Never talks to people. He just starts attacking them if they show the slightest hint of being suspicious, even though due to the nature of the campaign and the actions of the party, everyone they talk to is at least a little suspicious
>He plays his own music when he does something he thinks is funny or cool
>Tries to tell me what I should put in my NPC's backstories (most of the time it's some stupid pop culture reference) then gets defensive when I say no

And that's about it that I can think off the top of my head. Man I hate that guy.
>>
Was absent from a game for a good while due to school reasons. The game went on without me and when I came back I decided to make a new character since it has been such a long time. Thing is the DM has a rule of new characters being one level below the lowest in the party. Doesn't seem bad until he said that mine was the lowest and he won't throw me any bones. Still going to play the new character for more rp reasons. Won't be surprising when any monster the party faces runs up to me and slaps my wrinkly wizard ass to death with my low as shit HP.
>>
>Two players always make their characters go evil a couple sessions in
>They never display any hints or reason why
>One second they're completely fine and the next one is a vampire and the other is serving us chopped up dudes in pie
>Those plot points never actually go anywhere
>DM just does combat after combat
>Those same players take the longest to take their turns
>One still doesn't remember how combat works after 2 years
>The other has to do really complicated bullshit every turn
>It makes combat drag on too long even if it only lasts 2 or 3 rounds
>As soon as an interesting world is set up to RP in, the DM destroys it or gets bored and starts a new game instead
>Every plot is contrived bullshit with gods and demons
>If I try to DM, the players go full murderhobo no matter how nice and nonthreatening I try to make everything
>Or if something is too powerful for them to kill, they'll fight it until half the party dies, and if it does enough damage to kill them within an hour of combat then they complain that it's way too strong
>>
>>48037073
2 Players is utter shit, a duo is too squishy in most scenarios involving combat and they can't have that many skills in the group. 3 is possible bit sucks ass for 7 other people. 4-5 is an optimal group size, everyone can have a spotlight and the skill sets are varied enough that everything can be done but you don't have big overlaps that can make people feel useless. Also half of my friends can play wich is a fair amount.
>>
File: 1462746644895.jpg (59KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1462746644895.jpg
59KB, 500x500px
>>48037542
>>48037553
>>48037565
>>48037592
So boot him out?
>>
>>48029587
I'm kinda salt right now because a rather promising game of 5e is now dead on arrival, after only a single session because one of the players broke up with his gf, another player. So, the DM decided the reasonable thing to do was postpone the campaign indefinitely to avoid inter-party conflict.

I just want to play an entire campaign for once, ffs.
>>
>>48037592
Why are you still inviting him? Christ
>>
fucking players.
>>
>>48029587
DMs not showing up to the game without any word and after asking that the time be set based on their suggestion. Both my regular PF group's DM didn't show and then the first session of a new Force and Destiny group didn't happen because the DM of that didn't show up. Gettin' real tired of this shit where my DMs don't show up because this isn't the first time this has happened on the PF group's DM's part.
>>
>>48038452
>>48038590
He's actually only there as the boyfriend of one of my best players and I'm willing to put up with him to keep her in.
>>
>>48031515
Lucky you.
I work ten to twelve hour shifts boxing fifty pound lifters all day.
>>
>>48038653
While I certainly understand taking on a problem player to keep their SO around, it doesn't even sound like you have a group with this guy fucking around.

Ya got 8 players, you could lose two.
>>
>>48029706
That would be really badass if it weren't for the name
>>
>>48038668
Yea, I probably play it up more than it seems. Most of the problems are just shit the DM has to deal with. To the credit of my other players, they also tell him to shut the fuck up when he starts impacting on them.
>>
>>48038721
No, dude, no.

I'm also the DM of a group of 8 and literally every point you just made would make me take them aside after the session and tell them to not do it again. All of that together? I'd physically eject them from my house.
>>
>>48029706
>oh no my SJW senses are tingling
>RAYCISSSSSSSSS SCUM DETECTED
Please stop playing RPGs, you're an unwelcome presence at any proper table, you millennial filth.
>>
I have a player in a lot of my physical games that has a tendency to get on my nerves when he plays, as much as I value him as a friend.
He always seems to have a sort of mindset of needing things to go his way. For instance.
>playing Star wars d6
>party just escaped from pirates on speed bikes, with an ambush laid ahead of them that they've been made aware of.
>creates a plan to trick the pirates by going into their communications, and turning around and destroying the speed bikes formerly chasing them.
>describe them turning around only to find their cruiser has been activated and has begun to follow them, which they see over the trees in the jungle as they turn around.
>"What? But x y and z were looking behind us the whole time!"
>explain to player that they pretty much just got it activated now, and the PCs were firing on speeder bikes and ducking behind cover the whole time.
>player cancels the plan, complains about my GMing.
I wouldn't be as bothered if he didn't blame my GMing, since he's a really good player otherwise.
He also hates it when I play music, which really bothers me. I'm planning on confronting him about the two points, but i'm not too sure where to begin without going too harsh on him. He is my friend, and I enjoy his play most of the time after all. Any pointers, /tg/?
>>
>>48038863
Bait or not, I think like the average person would be at least a little uncomfortable towards the phrase "blackskin spearchucker"

You don't need to be an SJW to find literal historical racial epitaphs unfortunate, which spearchucker is
>>
> dm proposes we make characters with elaborate backstories
> dm's best friend makes a character designed to TPK the entire party every time, at the first encounter, after we went to all the trouble.
> dm knows he's trouble but waves his shit through every time
> assures us there will be no PvP
> friend makes a character that kills everyone "on accident"
>>
>>48029706
>Goblin Blackskins
Makes sense. They have literally black skins from being burnt. Black people aren't actually black in the way a burnt corpse is.

>Blackskin Spearchuckers
That's funny though.

Why the fuck are you getting offended, do you chuck spears like a fucking tribal?
>>
>>48038863
He has a point.

If it was just "goblin blackskin" I'd join you in heckling but "blackskin spearchucker", in the UK at least, is basically the same as"nigger goblin"
>>
>>48029587
We had a 15 minute long argument about Sleet Storm waking up enemies afflicted by the sleep spell.

No, I don't care how magical your sleep is, if getting shaken breaks it, then storms strong enough to make casters roll concentration check every turn sure as fuck will.
>>
>>48037074
Honestly I had to do some mental gymnastics to get there.

I'd say he is doing it on accident and that most people in the group don't even notice.
>>
>>48040915
I doubt that. You don't arrive at a name like "blackskin spearchucker" by accident, fella
>>
The Stalker in my Mutant Year Zero campaign just refuses to engage with any other players or NPCs, his backstory is an outcast lives on fringe of society only looks out for himself but if there's an expedition leaving the Ark he insists on leading it because it means he can do combat stuff and has the skills to guide them through the wastes.

The other players have no reason to trust him anymore, only bring him along because he's been a friend of the group forever.

but he literally only ever plays Stalkers/Rangers/Rogues that lookout for themselves and live on the fringe of society until fighting might happen.
>>
File: 1447671469011.png (132KB, 308x385px) Image search: [Google]
1447671469011.png
132KB, 308x385px
RUINING
MY
PERFECT
INTERACTIVE
NOVEL
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not really. I'm tired of my players bitching about encounters getting just a little bit difficult.
>>
>>48034457
This.
>>
YOU'RE NOT RAMBO. STOP RUNNING AHEAD YOU DUMBSHIT.

AND STOP PRESSING EVERY BIG RED BUTTON YOU CAN FIND FFS YOU'RE GONNA GET US ALL KILLED.

GOODLUCK GETTING OUT OF THAT CHASM DUMBSHIT
>>
>>48034508
What's a pupper?
>>
File: 1438698220494.png (149KB, 284x348px) Image search: [Google]
1438698220494.png
149KB, 284x348px
It's been so long since I've actually enjoyed a game. I'm fucking sick of generic fantasy settings without a single memorable character. I'm sick of not being able to meaningfully interact with anything as a character. I'm sick of nothing but boring fights against dull ass monsters every fucking session.

I don't even know why I still bother with this hobby anymore.
>>
>>48029587
My biggest complaint about our current game is its frequency. 2+ years with less than seven sessions
>>
File: IkOV83Y~01.jpg (29KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
IkOV83Y~01.jpg
29KB, 310x310px
>>48041067
Stop playing 3.5 rip offs dingus.
>>
>>48041067

not to troll or start an edition war, but this is why i stopped with the DND/Pathfinder games.

It just became a combat grindfest for XP, I'm really digging some alternate systems and have just picked up the Cypher book to help me make some interesting settings for my group.
>>
File: 1466449999222.gif (565KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
1466449999222.gif
565KB, 246x205px
>>48041106
>>48041116
NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY ANYTHING ELSE EVEN WHEN I VOLUNTEER TO GM
>>
>>48041067
Then don't play them.
>>
>>48041116
Sorry, but what is the cypher book?
>>
>>48034306
>its not the system
Yes it is. These complaints don't hold much water in things like D6 Fantasy, Reign, Burning Wheel, and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
File: lKJvD3q.jpg (87KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
lKJvD3q.jpg
87KB, 1152x2048px
>>48029706
Op i recommend doing absolutely nothing. if these racist fucks are confronted, odds are they will just provoke you, if they are doing it stupidly, they'll feel like the asshole and it probably wont come up again. they might even pretend to be the latter to bait the former even more. Say nothing, React in no way at all, and treat it like a normal encounter. the worst thing you can do to irl trolls is respond to them. its all fun and games in 4chan but don't even give them a blink.
>>
>>48041147

Monte Cook Games released the Core Mechanics of Numenera and The Strange as a stand alone settingless ruleset.

It has guidelines to help develop any setting you want be it high fantasy/supers/apocalyptic etc but best of all it's kind of mechanics light, not a super crunchy system. And all the roling is done by the players, GM just sets the scene and challenges.

It's got a weird XP system but I'm working my way around that, taking what I'm learning from my Mutant Year Zero game about my self and my players and applying it to a new game I'll run when this MYZ game ends. Which is only another 8-10 sessions away.

http://www.montecookgames.com/store/product/cypher-system-rulebook/

Can drop a link to a clean purchased PDF if wanted.
>>
>>48041233
Yes please. I'd like to give it a looksee
>>
>>48041255

i got you senpai

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cacbz666427o1x5/Cypher%20System%20Rulebook.pdf?dl=0
>>
>>48030490
I know this feeling. One of the other players in the game I'm in was a two weapon ranger, and would do more damage to herself than her enemies, well that is when her weapons weren't broken. Literally in one encounter she had 2 crit fails in the second round, which somehow hurt her enough to drop below 0.

Thankfully I don't nearly make as many attacks, plus luck has been on my side mostly.
>>
>>48041227
>am I the only one here who thinks this is not OK
react reasonably and people will respond reasonably
>>
>>48041259
thanks fampai. I shall give it a good read, desu
>>
>>48041283

you're welcome, it's pretty flexible but is balanced around the constant use of 'cyphers'.

basically one use magic items which can be fluffed to represent anything form enchantments to potions or ancient alien tech or scrolls.

In my game they will be blessings of the gods, and I'm houseruling they expire if not used before the end of the session after they were obtained.

The game I'm working on is a low/mid level fantasy Viking game, the gods and monsters are real but most people live their lives having never encountered them. Most people believe in the gods, in beasts and other races however.

Cyphers will be blessings, and the game mostly operates around a realm builder style game, with conquest and resource management playing a big part. Each player is a champion of some sorts and they all seek the favour of the Jarl and the gods.

Pretty open possibilities with the rules set, just gotta work my way around some of the janky stuff to keep it flowing smooth.
>>
>>48041041
oh GOD, THAT GUY.

Ours is an elvish fire mage/healer, he's gotten us into near-TPK scenarios at least 12 times in the last two months due to sheer head-in-ass disease, and whenever we have the AUDACITY to complain, he threatens to go wooden and stop interacting.
Here's a few from his highlight reel:

>We come across a field of natural gas geysers, he's curious as to what's down one, launches a fireball down it. Guess what happened.

>We're battling a toxic undead conglomerate that's clotted up in the sewers beneath a major city. There's burning bits of animated fatberg scattered all about the place. He has the bright idea to use a scroll of storms to summon a miniature cyclone to put the fire out. In an enclosed, underground space. Guess how that turned out.

>He managed to enthrall the EXPLICITLY parasitic larva of an ancient chaos god and use it as a familiar. During a solo mission, he fed it to an elder dragon we were allied with as an appeasement. The next session we played together, the dragon was complaining about stomach cramps. Guess what fucking happened.
>>
>>48041345
Sounds nifty. I'm kind of a newish DM, still learning. But I do like reading systems I'm not familiar with.
>>
File: 1463339912723.gif (87KB, 192x197px) Image search: [Google]
1463339912723.gif
87KB, 192x197px
''It's not pathfinder. Why is it not pathfinder?''

Because we agreed to not use pathfinder for the game I'm running. Get back to dm-ing if you want to do pathfinder so much.
>>
>>48029706
You haven't figured it out yet? You're the only black guy at the table. GM is fucking with you for the lulz. Should be pretty fucking obvious.
>>
>>48041469
>2016
>Players want to play pathfinder
You need to get less casual players, anon.
>>
>>48029587
I don't mean to whine, because our DM is overall pretty good; we're basically all first-timers, and this is his first time DMing, and it's great fun so far.

With that said, the way he handles combat drives me up the wall. He rolls to decide which enemy attacks who, presumably to make it fair. The problem is, I'm a Paladin. It's basically mine and the Cleric's JOB to stand in front of the rest of the party and take the beating. As it stands, there have been multiple occasions where the enemy has ignored the heavy front-line guys and gone straight for the more vulnerable Ranger and Druid, despite said enemy being basic (read: stupid) undead.

I actually have the solution, I'm just going to talk to the DM about it, but is this seriously a common thing people do for combat?
>>
>>48029932
I had a game like that recently and left it for this very reason. We had a large group of about 8-9 players and we were all attached by the hip.

We were given a quest to find someone but it somehow devolved into the PC bickering with one another over morality in a tavern and then an hour of the summoner role-playing with his eidolon. Worst part about it was how blatantly obvious it was the GM was a lazy hack who wouldn't even pay attention to his own game and wasted my time.
>>
>>48029587
The charismatic player of our group is currently founding a nation with refugees. The issue is that the players recently learned of some big-bads and they are on a bit of a strict schedule because of it. For whatever reason, one player wanting to found a nation has made every player totally abandon their previous goals in the pursuit of making this place great. The adventurer has become a teacher, the gunman is president, the warrior is (fittingly) the military leader, the necromancer is a farmer... It's like there is a sudden standstill out of nowhere. They have countless incentives to not do this, such as the big-bads, distaste on part of the refugees, the known location of some powerful artifacts, a weapon of mass destruction to neutralize, etc.
It's as if the world is falling apart just because one guy decided to do some politics.
>>
>>48034765
>She's literally the party's voice of reason and most trusted party member, despite being the only evil character.

You're either doing LE really well or really shittily.
>>
>>48037201
No they threw them, it was a common thing and one of the reasons Shaka Zulu is revered for actually using melee/flanking tactics.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 640x360px
my paladin keeps being merciful and attempts diplomacy to any sentient he meets, but is only ever offered hostility or mocked for letting defeat enemies go.
I'm determined to keep at it, since it's a key part of my character, but it's still rather fustrating that the DM never cuts me some slack.
>>
>>48037645
This only works if you eventually catch up, but I've had the displeasure of playing with GMs that think this is a good idea. Then get salty when PCs start to focus more on builds and less on character because they die so easily.
>>
>>48042076
You're not playing an MMO so I think the way your GM handles it is fine. It sounds like your own fault, and the complaint about them being basic doesn't hold much water as you don't really dictate their intelligence.

Any predator out there is smart enough to target the preceivably weak, sick, old, young, injured, etc.

Really, it sounds like your team needs to come up with better formation/tactics to keep the heat on the "front-liners". It's as simple as having the Ranger/Druid climbing a tree or something so the foe either wastes time getting to them while being punished by Cleric/Fighter or the opposite.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 600x338px
>Dm makes fairy race playable
>Gives them at-will wild magic surge through spreading fairy dust as an action
>That Guy has his fairy character use fairy dust whenever he feels bored or whenever he fails at a task
>He nuked the party with fireballs twice already, almost killing half of us
>>
>>48040951
If they have literal scarred black skin like >>48040620 pointed out. And literally chuck spears, it's just an unfortunate coincidence that it lines up with an old phrase used to make fun of tribal black people.

It's like getting upset at a creature in a modern horror game who was a gangster and got corrupted by black magic called a "dark thug".
>>
>>48034765
>DM anounces that the wizard(me) jumps in there out of greed, because she's Lawful Evil
And then you punched the DM, right?
>>
>>48041986
At least they don't use pathfinder for everything (anymore). Hearing them use pathfinder rules for world of darkness was painful.
>>
>>48037074
Damn it feels good to not live in that mess of a civilization america.
>>
>>48042338
If the Ranger and Druid were exposed, I'd be fine; then it WOULD be my fault. But last combat, the cleric and I DID position ourselves in front, and the Shadows ran -past- us because the dice dictated it.
>>
>>48038661
Soooo... you're an elementary school boxing teacher?
>>
File: 7pgusXQ.jpg (217KB, 1640x2318px) Image search: [Google]
7pgusXQ.jpg
217KB, 1640x2318px
>>48041354
>>48041041
I love doing this in bite sized bits. Not so much running a head and being a huge moron, but being a caster and marching in the front line and similar lower risk behavior. Fighter swerve.
>>
>>48034109
>>48035407
That's because tribalism is inherently uncivilized and antithetical to civilization.
A civilization is a mindnumbingl vast collection of people who share the same culture, while tribalism means that you cannot ever share the same culture with more than the people you know personally.
This makes tribes weak and not well suited for making technological progress.
>>
File: Sphynx.jpg (223KB, 1268x782px) Image search: [Google]
Sphynx.jpg
223KB, 1268x782px
>Meet Sphinx temple guardian
>Challenges us to a riddle game to secure safe passage into the temple
>answer the sphinx's first riddle successfully
>we all put out heads together and come up with a really good riddle
>GM rolls int check and says the sphinx solves the riddle.

It happened weeks ago but I'm still miffed about it.
>>
>>48030538

Find a new group. But don't abandon your old one yet.
>>
File: 1415542659754.png (174KB, 400x424px) Image search: [Google]
1415542659754.png
174KB, 400x424px
>>48042757
>A civilization is a mindnumbingl vast collection of people who share the same culture, while tribalism means that you cannot ever share the same culture with more than the people you know personally.
you really don't understand how civilization works do you? think of civilization as a blanket. that blanket is a quilt. built from tribes conquered and tribes joined peacefully, but oh is that peace capricious. each patch still thinks other patches don't belong, or want every patch to be the same as them and that patchwork quilts are inferior or ugly or what have you. they broil restlessly becuase it's the humans that are inherently uncivilizaed and antihetical to civilization.

Look at ants. Ants are tribal in the sense that colonies will sometimes fight eachother, but there is a species of ant, the most common ant, that doesn't fight eachother. they occupy a huge stretch of land. these ants work together and cooperate, all genetically, before even developing something like intelligence, empathy and free will. Humans are tribal even in a "civilization" because in order to not behave that way, we have to actively fight our programming, and many racist people who look down on savages are ironically acting just like them, theyre practicing the human habit that makes tribalism possible; Xenophobia. the assessment of differences of another, and then distancing yourself while dehumanizing that other, in order to place themselves on top. An enourmous advantage to those in a tribe; they can kill those subhumans and eliminate competition while still having the benefits provided by their empathy for their own tribe to enjoy.

What makes tribes weak is not their attitude towards others, but the lack of military and order to force compliance for someones benefit. All progress originates from a tribal leader mentality. Even when the work is from lots of people and no one person, we credit one person, we put one face on the faces of many.
>>
>>48042919
>but oh is that peace capricious. each patch still thinks other patches don't belong, or want every patch to be the same as them and that patchwork quilts are inferior or ugly or what have you. they broil restlessly becuase it's the humans that are inherently uncivilizaed and antihetical to civilization.
No.

There is nothing else to say here. Your premise is a complete fabrication.
History, sociology and just looking at the world outside your door will prove it to you.

>theyre practicing the human habit that makes tribalism possible; Xenophobia.
You're conflating two concepts there.
Xenophobia is not tribalism. Humans are fighting their xenophobia a lot, but that does not mean they are in TRIBES. A vague sense of us vs them is not tribalism as a "tribe" is a fixed thing which is not to be confused with civilizations.
Also the xenophobia isn't closely preprogrammed either, otherwise there would not be so many varieties of it conflicting with each other in the same location.

>All progress originates from a tribal leader mentality
Also false.
Literally no progress originates from this. Tribalism would mean that one guards the inventions and technological progress from other small tribes because this way we have the advantage.
Tribes however are small.

Progress occurs when views, information and technology is shared between a lot of people so everyone is about on the same level and has a chance to combine hitherto uncombined bits of information to create something that others have not created before.

The antithesis to the way tribes work.

So yes, my point still stands, a tribal society is inherently weaker than a non tribal one, where the entire society is one.
>>
File: 1270943946063.jpg (159KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1270943946063.jpg
159KB, 1280x1024px
Same old story.
High School, College, Living with the parents comes to an end.
The group splits all over the country.
We all try to continue playing online and do so a few times but everyone starts getting new jobs with new hours, starting new social lives, or getting married and having families and pretty soon it become impossible to game together.
We all stay friends and keep in contact and talk about trying to game but never find the time to do so together.
We all find new groups but the magic just isn't there.
The chemistry is different, the players are less experienced, they hold different visions or expectations and for love of the hobby you compromise more and more of your own.
Soon you find yourself wondering why you put so much time and effort into something you enjoy less and less.
You learn that some of your old friends have given up the hobby entirely, some tell you with sadness, but others with indifference.
The time spent begins to put strain on your other relationships and you start cutting back, not investing so much of yourself but harboring a secret yearning for what was lost.
Eventually you set it aside, only wandering through the old books or looking at how it has changed in your absence when the melancholy overtakes you.
And then the dreams end.
>>
File: 1452693391752.jpg (104KB, 722x690px) Image search: [Google]
1452693391752.jpg
104KB, 722x690px
>>48043099
fucking shit anon, the pain
>>
>>48034896
You sound like a colossal faggot.
>>
>>48029587
My DM has made a campaign full of interconnected plot threads and hidden agendas, and the group as a whole is really into it. We even had one session derail as we started to make connections between everything and started forming ideas about the greater plot from the scraps of information we have. It's honestly been the best D&D game I've played.

One of our players, though, is almost entirely uninterested in this, and seems to be content living as a standard murderhobo. He hasn't done anything to actively derail anything, but when the game slows down for plot, or even just downtime between adventures at the local inn, he sits quietly at the table wondering when we'll get back to the action.

I mean, I get that some people are interested in different parts of the game, but the plot is one of the most intricate I've ever seen, and our DM is justifiably proud of what he's made, and him sitting in the corner as the rest of us discuss Shocking Revelations really brings the mood down.
>>
>>48042868
Did he let you roll Int to solve the sphinx's riddle?
>>
I haven't been in a successful long game for six years by now, and I can't tell if it's me or people consistently flaking whenever I try as a player or GM. I sincerely try, but every time the games just die after a few weeks.
>>
File: 1464131960906.png (547KB, 1000x1092px) Image search: [Google]
1464131960906.png
547KB, 1000x1092px
>>48043047
>No.

>There is nothing else to say here. Your premise is a complete fabrication.
>History, sociology and just looking at the world outside your door will prove it to you.
wrong, dumbass, and nothing you said even attempted to disprove it. I've already shown how it's true, but you don't have to look far, look up racism, look up wars of history, look up nationalism. hell, its true down to the barest neiche of fandoms and whoever likes asuka but hates rei. Humans split and divide eachother up through labels and then hold themselves above those others. they see negatives, not commonalities. differences, not similarities. It's scientific truth.

>You're conflating two concepts there.
>Xenophobia is not tribalism. Humans are fighting their xenophobia a lot, but that does not mean they are in TRIBES.
wrong. tribes are made by xenophobia. if theres no fear of outsiders, theres no reason to compete or have seperation.

> A vague sense of us vs them is not tribalism as a "tribe" is a fixed thing which is not to be confused with civilizations.
wrong, tribes are not fixed things you moron. tribes are constantly moving and changing. a Civilization didn't just emerge whole, it evolved from various tribes interacting. There is no difference between us vs them and a tribe. its the same fucking thing down to every element.

>Also the xenophobia isn't closely preprogrammed either, otherwise there would not be so many varieties of it conflicting with each other in the same location.
this is completely wrong. in a civilization where you have tons of access to materials and potential groups that overlap like a van diagram, especially groups that are not necissarily easy to distinguish by sight but are never the less reviled, you can, will, and should expect huge diversity in small locations where xenophobia is still rampant. Of course we see the opposite for _visible_ differences in areas where theyre reviled. The deep south and bible belt is an easy poignant example.
>>
>>48043047
>Also false.
>Literally no progress originates from this. Tribalism would mean that one guards the inventions and technological progress from other small tribes because this way we have the advantage.
thats exactly what happens you idiot. What is the first use of technology? warfare and for the amusement of kings, do you not know how class systems developed? the plight of the peasant and the nobles wealth? And all of it belonging to kings in some fashion? And between countries, what do we see? we see fierce competition, the hiding of technology. that way they have an advantage, we see it in mercentile enterprises which are also forms of tribes, it goes on and fucking on. there are so many examples of this mentality that you are litterally shoveling yourself in shit as you dig the hole you're in deeper and deeper.

>Progress occurs when views, information and technology is shared between a lot of people so everyone is about on the same level and has a chance to combine hitherto uncombined bits of information to create something that others have not created before.
this only works when you have a middle class civilization has long since been born before that. It also still was under the influence of fierce control and tribal mentality as well, while some smaller tribes thought this kind of thing was great, lots of other tribes despised it and fought against it. And you still have not even answered at all in this statment how the attributation goes to one person if you are so quick to suggest its all about the work everyone does together. The patent for the lightbulb is a classic example of someone doing basically nothing but paying a group of people to do all the engineering while profiting (socially) off their genius as well as monetarily. Why do we say edison invented the light bulb if we agree that progress like that occurs at the hands of the conglomeration of people and their shared views and information and tools?
>>
File: 1463900475316.jpg (45KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1463900475316.jpg
45KB, 500x333px
>>48043047
because thats not how society works, and you deep down know it's the truth. It's raining all around you, and while you will contort and delude your addled brain to be consistant with your false beliefs, the evidence won't go away and neither will double think, repackaging, or any other social trick, erase the evidence of human ways of thinking from culture.
>>
some friends and i started playing about a year ago but have had a steady campaign going for about 6 months, everyones loved it so far, and those who didn't have left. Everything was going fine until about 3 weeks ago.

One of the PC's started loosing interest, quite uncharacteristic of him to do, always on his phone, not paying attention asking what his spells do even thought he's used them in the past. Adding spells he claims i have given him yet i havn''t. Arguing with me the DM over little things that don't make sense and overall being a really really frustrating person to play with, a 2 hour session now holds as much content as an hour in the past.

I'm not sure how to deal with it as i dont want to kick a player and a dear friend out of the dnd group but I've had words and it doesnt seem to have changed in 2 weeks its gotten worse. He claims that he is totally invested in the group and wants to continue playing but his actions say otherwise. What do?
>>
>>48039369

Tell him his plans are good, but even good plans don't always work, and that you appreciate his attempts at creative solutions

Cause it's way better than mindless murderhoboing, trust me.
>>
>>48038661
Won't lie. I imagined someone having to fight midgets that lift things all day. And it's great.
>>
>>48041099

Holy shit

Moar?
>>
>>48043099

This shit is exactly why I got a vasectomy. No woman will ever marry me and I'll be free to game forever.
>>
>>48040502
Christ. Why are some of these guys so fucked up?
You would think nerds would you know, LIKE, social interaction (which I assume is part of the fun of rpging?)
Why go out of their way to be ass hats?
Do they enjoy being fucked with at school or something
>>
>>48043405
Yeah, he did. And I can understand why he did it as a game convention. But god damn does that immersion break kill me a little inside.
>>
>>48043498
>I've already shown how it's true
You have not. You made the claim that tribes unifying is just a capricious balance.
It's not. I'm not even going to entertain this argument because looking at literally any element of history will disprove it.

>split and divide
Yes, humans have a trend to organize things and themselves into categories. This is not in any way tribalism or close to it. Just because someone likes rei but not asuka, does not mean their identity is defined by this, and they wouldn't associate with people who do not like rei.
And no people don't see negatives, people see characteristics, and group those together. This process naturally excludes large parts of the species from any given group, but this is nothing negative, and is a consequence of us doing the same thing with every thing and concept in existence and is the basis of structured thinking.
Meanwhile tribalism means that you have a tiny group of people you stick to no matter what and only associate yourselves with them.

>tribes are made by xenophobia
But xenophobia does not make tribes. Xenophobia can exist in nations too, and it's generally not as strong as you think.

>tribes are not fixed things you moron
I think you misunderstand me.
I was referring to the fact that you seemed to have used tribes when referring to groups of people that are as large as a nation or a civilization. This is wrong, because a tribe is a fixed concept: It means a small group of people whose members mostly know each other personally and who share a common culture.

This excludes nations and civilizations which you were talking about.

>xenophobia
I'm afraid i couldn't understand what you were saying there, but what i was saying was simply that xenophobia isn't as preprogrammed as you make it seem, because people can incorporate others into the "us" group who would under even minutely different circumstances be in the THEM group. This makes it not a precise preprogrammed distinction.
>>
>>48043604
>this is what murderhobos actually believe.
you might have gotten all your information about societies and cultures from wargames, but generally the world does not work that way.
A tribal culture is always less advanced than a "civilized" society, no matter what race the tribes are or how civilized the tribes are.
The structure of small tribes is not beneficial for progress.
So i'll have to say it again, that a tribal society is actually in games and in real life less likely to be advanced, than a non tribal society.

>>48043578
>we see it in mercentile enterprises which are also forms of tribes,
See this is where you're going wrong. You can't just call anything you want a tribe.
And you also fail to see the most important trend here. The larger the grouping of people that shares their technology, the faster the technological progress.
This has been this way in history and there is no reason why it shouldn't be this way in a game.

>attribution of work
Is something completely different from actual progress.
We say that someone invented something (ideally the person with the most contribution or playing the most vital role) because we need figureheads, because we are not equipped with listing every inventor back to the invention of wheels when talking about who was responsible for the most recent piece of technological progress.
>>
>>48029587
I just wish my players would roleplay more, considering that's half the game. Sometimes they try, but boy is it kind of annoying to put on the dog and pony show and they just kinda react as themselves.

Oh, and phones, holy shit phones.
>>
File: 1447896802008.jpg (198KB, 810x1101px) Image search: [Google]
1447896802008.jpg
198KB, 810x1101px
>>48029932
Please anon, have your bored-ass fighter start an illegal fighting ring in the city for fun, and unironically name it simply "Fight Club"
>>
File: 1465866867669.jpg (72KB, 499x389px) Image search: [Google]
1465866867669.jpg
72KB, 499x389px
>>48044128
>finally find a group to play
>they barely pay any attention to the game and spend the entire session joking and laughing and ignoring the game
>they just pay attention individually when it's their turn in combat situations
>>
>>48042883
I'm already in another one playing a noncombat 3.5, but I wanna hang out more with the Pathfinder group yet don't feel like driving for 3 hours just to play tennis for 30 minutes.
>>
File: 1448951372382.jpg (25KB, 463x351px) Image search: [Google]
1448951372382.jpg
25KB, 463x351px
>>48038653
C'mon man, if she's such a good player she'll understand that her BF is a piece of shit, if she can't understand that, then she isn't a good player

Don't be a pussy
>>
File: 1447817441238.jpg (52KB, 540x426px) Image search: [Google]
1447817441238.jpg
52KB, 540x426px
>>48038863
Stop being just as bad as the shitty SJW's, you're part of the cancer.

There's a difference between being PC and being a non-shitty person, if the guy is doing it on purpose that's just stupid and actually racist
>>
My small 40k/Kill Team/Boardgame group consists of self-centered, powergaming, waac assholes.
>>
File: 1447803240843.jpg (148KB, 974x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1447803240843.jpg
148KB, 974x1500px
>>48042098
Maybe the big bad is filling their minds with poison? Maybe they are all afraid? Maybe it's all just a dream?

It's time to wake up anon... wake up
>>
>>48045606
ALL HAIL THE CRIMSON KING.
>>
>>48041142

If you're willing to GM on IRC or something, I'd play. I'm up for basically any kind of RPG. Fate? Star Wars? Savage Worlds? Dark Heresy? AdEva? Fuck, I'd even try something I haven't played before.
>>
>Put literally as much work as physically possible into my games
>Craft stories with drama and tension, enemies the party can hate, and dangerous situations
>Give them challenges to overcome and things to solve

>End yet, never once in my entire life of D&D has anyone ever been excited when they succeeded at something. Never a single show of emotion when they get the killing blow on an enemy, never any excitement or engagement when they overcome a challenge. Nothing.

I don't know why I bother.
>>
>>48042214
Hey maybe there will be a moment where you need shelter or some shit and you rest in the home of one of the people you spared. DM could just be playing long time karma.
>>
>>48031497

>Be me
>Work 6 days a week going on 7 sometimes

God damn working two jobs is tough. I feel the same way Anon, thankfully it's just for the summer and when we all go back to 3-4 days a week I can hopefully start playing some tabletop again.
>>
>>48029587
I've said this all in a thread before but honestly it's still fresh in my mind and still pisses me off. I feel like one of my friends has some hidden superiority complex because he insists on paying all this money for the books when my gf already has stuff for DnD. But no, he gets pathfinder. At first I was fine with it and I wanted to play a tiefling but he didn't have a book unfortunately. But then he starts doing shit like "I'm allowing you to play this" and "I don't have to let you do that" apparently his idea of a DM is having final say in everything that the players do. While I admit that this was his first time DMing we already had someone more then willing to play DM AND has more experience in tabletops then all of us. On top of that, he flat out denies any of us giving DMing a try. But if there's one thing that's more of a pet peeve then something I get pissed at it's the fact that every setting we play in he has to put in some hint of japanese architecture or culture and even kitsune. I have more stories similar to this and other experiences.
>>
>>48029706
>jamal cant take the bantz

sounds like you need to get your shiieeeeeeeetttt together
>>
>>48029706
WE
>>
>>48029587
Goddamnit, learn the rules, work on your character, and stop pitching fits because you refuse to adapt to the system. It's really fucking annoying for everyone. No, the DM is not out to get you, you just want to do stupid outlandish shit instead of something your character is good at.

And learn what a fucking d20 looks like and realize you use it for pretty much everything.
>>
>>48043984
Do you remember what the riddle was? I'm intrigued now.
>>
>>48029706
You know there are goblin units in warhammer fantasy that are called "spearchukkas", right?

And also warhammer fantasy has "black orcs" that are huge, scarred strong military minded orcs.

He may be pulling everything from that.
>>
>>48034765
That is the most stupid thing i've ever heard a DM do ever
>>
File: sadgundams.gif (929KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
sadgundams.gif
929KB, 500x380px
>>48029587
I swear my players are lying about enjoying my games so they don't hurt my feelings.

Just tell me already so someone more competent can GM.
>>
>>48029587
Our dm won't let us level up. We are like 10 sessions in and still level one. He says we are level one and a half, meaning to tease us that we are close to a second level. But I know it's not coming.
>>
>>48031706
thank you for getting the ref
>>
>>48029706
Do the spearthrowers stain their lips red with warpaint too?
>>
>>48052029
Are you actively denying creative ideas? Are you are you tailoring the experience around your own enjoyment or the players? Do you homebrew rules they object to, but ignore them and keep them anyway?

If not, you're probably just being paranoid. Always ask for suggestions and be open to ideas. If the players put something of their own into the world, an npc, a village, a quest idea, a useless magical trinket, they will feel more attachment to the world as their own.

If they care enough to lie, they care enough to work for their enjoyment.
>>
>Our game has had two sessions.
> Most of us a brand new to Pathfinder
> GM is experienced
> another player is an "expert" that is trying to control the game for there preference.
>The 'expert" decides we need background music ( I am closest to GM and have a hard time hearing him)
>Is unaware that then GM has to make roll for the NPS's.
>Other newbie is unaware the enemy characters also roll for initiative accuses GM of making numbers up.
>Expert storms off after claiming the GM cheats with rolls they we unaware ever existed.
>Newbie is hosting in a very small space and wants to fuck the "expert" kicks myself and GM out of house for standing up for the game.
Fuck I just want to play/
>>
File: 1383281420745.png (255KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1383281420745.png
255KB, 354x367px
>playing 3.5
>get high skill checks
>DM gives out no information

>ALL new characters start at level 1
>shit tier balance for encounters
>CR 9 monsters for level FUCKING 1 because most people level 10+
>more than 1 player had to stare at the wall waiting for combat to end
Good luck hitting that

>consistently picks monsters with high DR/
>4 hours to play a week
>combat ALWAYS takes an hour+ per encounter
>usually 3 encounters a session
>low level players can't even do damage
You can do the math. It takes forever.

>2 wizards in group
>monsters ALWAYS make saving throws
>ALWAYS
>mostly useless because of that, so combat takes even longer
>now have to resort to broken polymorph strategies to move game along, DM gets pissed at us

Before anyone starts shitting on me, you could argue the problem is 3.5 and you'd be right. We all talked to our DM about this and he said quote "how else would you guys earn experience?"
yes he's a grognard. It's also the only system he knows besides 2nd which he no longer has books for. He doesn't use pdfs.
>>
File: 1130741506807.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1130741506807.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>48045253
are you me?
>group gets together
>show each other youtube videos
>one guy even said "let's get back to the game"
>literally goes back to showing us another fucking video
>>
>>48053231
You guys looking for an online game?

I've got a couple of 5e campaigns already made, along with some Savage Worlds, and OWoD.

I just can't read that and not make the offer. It's too painful.
>>
>>48029587
I actually really want to just unleash my (limited) power level for once in a game.
Shonen hero bullshit, weeaboo garbage like cutting cars in half or that ilk.
Or run a space opera. Fuck, what I wouldn't do to run a noblebright space opera.
>>
>>48052947
how did you find these autists? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>48030931
>>48031090
I'm going through the same thing. The GM tries, but he's not much better. As a result, I haven't even played pathfinder that much since everyone I know is such shit
>>
>>48029706
This is literally the funniest thing Ive read all month
>>
>>48030709
Welcome to 5e.
>>
People fucking cancelling. I used to have a good, reliable group. Played once a week for three to four hours. In the last six months, we've had maybe 8 sessions. I'm there every week. Ready. And more than half the time, enough people don't show up that we can't continue.

Fortunately, I have a different group on Tuesdays, just me and two others, and that one is going swimmingly.
>>
>>48045253
>>48053369
My group had this problem as well for a while. My advice? Set up a Discord/GroupMe or even a group chat everyone is in so the YouTube links get shared before the session. Additionally, see if you can meet for other things than just RPing. My group meets for Friday Night Magic before the session Saturday, and may get together during the week for magic in general. Mind you, the last of those and the weekly schedule is only possible because everyone is within 15 minutes of campus. The rest of those options should be valid for you.
>>
File: killself.webm (489KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
killself.webm
489KB, 250x188px
I fuck up every single idea I have.

I design a really neat dungeon that's deeply integrated into setting lore, with what I think is a creepy premise. I take a day off from work I'm self-employed so it barely counts and plan it all out. I come up with neat concepts, cool traps, homebrew a monster, even write out descriptions of a bunch of shit ahead of time.

We have the session. I fuck everything up. I totally forgot that the characters had something they want to take care of, and scramble to improv all of it. Then, since we're almost out of time, I completely skim over the setup, and literally just say "That rock is going to make you chaotic evil." I don't fucking use any of my prewritten stuff where they realize that it will "slowly erode their will," completely skip over how the fucking thing is a water metaphor.

Then, when they get in the temple, I'm so angry at myself for fucking everything up that I forget to read my prewritten shit, and they're treated to extremely boring, dry combat.

I fucking hate myself.
>>
>>48035063
>>48034896
Well it does sound like performance anxiety. And a bit of thinking he needs to always do bigger an better.
>>
>>48035057
>Most recently my character got hit by a mace and my DM vividly described the bruising of intestine and made my fucking roll constitution to not piss myself. When I inevitably failed (hurr thief with constitution) the resultant humiliation description was about a paragraph long.
Thats definitely the GM having a bone to pick up with you for some reason.
Just ask him flat out why is he making things harder for your character for no reason.
>>
I don't even play /tg/ games, but I'd love to.

I model, paint, collect 40k, but the nearest store is 2 hours away, and despite the population in the area I am in, there isn't really a traditional games community, due mostly to the high cost of living pushing everyone who is either younger (18-25) or older (45+) out of the area, to where the only people left are middle aged people with corporate wageslave jobs and 2.4 standardized children.

I don't really have a lot of friends either, and it seems like when I finished my degree, I missed out on my last chance for social contact outside of work. I really regret not at least trying to make friends at the time, but I was too focused on the wrong stuff at the time (mmorpgs).

So that's what bothers me. At at work is really normative and most people who like traditional games can't afford to live here. So there are a ton of people, but nobody to play plastic army men with.
>>
>>48033429
There are no $500 dollar answers on Jeopardy!
>>
>>48029706
Stop being so sensitive, ye wee liddle gurl
>>
>>48031515

Lucky you, you actually have a job.
>>
>>48029932
>>48030443
Have your Baron friend invite her to the area, and give her the fooking of a lifetime.
Or, make yourself the new bbeg
>>
>>48053486
"Friends" from school have known the "expert" since I was 6. Newbie has been trying to fuck "expert" since 10th grade (8yrs) and is the cousin to the GM. Most of them are Horrible friends (people). I genuinely enjoy the GM as a friend, the worst of the group is the "expert" they go out of the way to say hurtful things to my face (probably say way worse behind my back). I know I have to cut the toxic people out of my life but shit they infected a lot of friends or "friends".
>>
>>48043639
Tell him that you dont like how his behaviours changed, ask him whats wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>48047065
I know this feel
>>
>>48053862
This is 100% me. I constantly have to backtrack to better explain things, or tell it so poorly the players aren't actually sure what's going on. descriptions, enemies, items, plot points get lost in the wayside. If I do manage to do everything correctly, I realize it doesn't make any sense and there are tons of plot holes.
>>
>>48053231
>Before anyone starts shitting on me, you could argue the problem is 3.5 and you'd be right.
Well, "GM ignores information skills", "GM starts newbies at massively lower powerlevel without giving them any adjusted encounters" and "GM neuters a whole class of game mechanics" would be problems in any system, they'd just have different names.
>>
>>48053862
It sounds like you should slow down and stop trying to cram your dungeons into a single session no matter what.
Let them do their things. Then run introduction to the dungeon. If the session time starts running out, stow the rest for the next week.
>>
>>48029587
Fa/tg/uys are rare in my area, so we had to bear with what we have...

>first games played with a bro and newly met GM
>GM provided us with a place to play
>GM settings are as lively as any town in morrowind
>GM plot can be understood only by him
>evidence
>due to levels of his bullshittery arguments are common
>learned to deal with it through sufficient amount of beer
>sometimes other players joined us, but 99% of them left after witnessing GM's shit
>eventually I get to GM with a completly new setting
>while on it, decide to do everything opposite to what That GM did
>players actually love it, decide to stick around for longer
>ex-GM bitches but plays along
>eventually bitching goes into overdrive
>someone told him openly that his GM'ing is shit and I should perma GM instead
>told him to cover next session instead to calm things down
>it was shit
>people comment on it
>we get kicked out of his place

Without any other place to play in, we just left and went with our lives for a good few years.
Untill I got an idea to fix up a new group with me doomed to be a forver GM.

The group that I found made me miss That GM...
>>
>>48055266
Most of people were gone by now, either left the town or lost any interest. Fortunatelly, my bro was still there.

>look through my contacts and hit some people
>one response
>a 8/10 girl, who played with us for a while
>solid roleplayer and actual larp'er, also model for convents
>left because That GM started hitting on her
>she says she is up for it as long as That GM isn't present
>and that she has a friend who would like to join
>we are still a little short, so I put up an ad on forums / in pub
>another girl turns up from an ad
>a 7/10 quiet and shy weeaboo from art school
>think to myself that this group might work afterall
>get everyone to meet at a friendly pub
>8/10's friend seems like a decent guy, but sounded like a murderhobo veteran
>7/10's is quiet and just listens in to us talking about post apocalypse
>8/10's her usual cheerful self
>bro is having a good time as well, but there is some tension between him and 8/10's friend

Decided to think nothing of it at the time. I was a fucking moron, as I didnt see what was to come at the time too...
>>
>>48055287
>first session comes up at bro's new flat
>nothing that much out of ordinary at first
>notice that 7's having hard time to adapt, since first session so I adjust narration for her
>8's friend get annoyed that things go slow and he hasnt murdered anything yet
>ignore that and follow with story rather than encounters
>8's friend eventually gives in, seeing that no one is backing him
>there is some decent roleplay going, but also a clear animosity between bro and 8's friend

>second session
>bro and 8's friend try to one up eachother at every opportunity
>annoying, but not ruinous for session

>third and fourth session
>one upping turns into hostility and mockery
>7 and 8 are trying to ignore it
>I go out of my way to use npcs to slap them into their place

>fifth
>at this point 7's left to study abroad
>this time around session is at 8's friend's place
>there's no beer waiting for us, but booze
>session starts and goes painfuly slow
>8's friends focus is mainly... 8
>rather than playing he prefers to make "half-joking" remarks about trying to have a go at her character
>in person he also tells her openly to sleep in his bed for that night
>seeing how nothing is going to improve I just call it and we pack our shit

All three of us leave, awkwardly trying not to speak of what went down. Mainly because it was her own friend.

Never speak again since.

I really want to play again, but I can't find the strength for it anymore. Just fucking end it...
>>
>>48055266
>mfw thinking how can a group be worse than that gm?
>mfw I have no face

>>48055287
Uh-oh...

>>48055299
Man, fuck that guy. Take 8 and bro and just make a game for those two.
>>
>>48055299
Yeah just man up, run again and don't let 8 invite her "friend" if she's still friends with him at all.
>>
>>48029706
How about you leave his country and go back to live with your black skinned spear chucking people
>>
>>48036856
If that's all the assassin does then he's probably just not confident in his ability to properly calculate CR and is using the assassin to prevent a situation where you run into a goblin encampment that he thinks you can totally take and get utterly destroyed.
>>
>>48055340
>>48055437

Shit took place several months ago. And I wouldn't mind bringing it back, but this one is all on me. If I'd hear at least one, single voice supporting the idea to keep it going, I'd resurrect it in a blink of an eye. Otherwise it just feels like I'm desperately trying to entertain myself.
>>
>>48034874
Know the feeling, right now i'm stuck on doing Star Wars while i do love world building. Thankfully every time they have to get out to unexplored space i can do what i want
>>
>>48029706
wow, that's cool
he's also making "blackskin spear-chuckers" sound way more badass than blackskin spear-chuckers were in real life
>>
>>48031353
wow, that's horrible
>>
>>48041191
>Citing a GURPS supplement like a version of GURPS.

nig u wot
>>
>>48048615
He also has a terrible idea on whats ok and whats bs. We were going to run another campaign with a bunch of new guys. He allows my that guy of a friend to say hes going to kill one player every campaign on the basis of "im a bounty hunter and they have a bounty on their head" and when I ask him about why hes doing this he says "why not". And the gm just allows this to happen. The campaign never happened but now I feel like I gotta watch my back every damn time we do a new campaign with him (might I add he was also rolling a gunslinger in pathfinder)
>>
>>48048615
>he flat out denies any of us giving DMing a try
I would react to that with 'oh, you don't want to play? OK. Maybe next time, bye'.
Though considering the rest of it it might be better for you to just tell him to fuck off.
>>
File: DSsBl9F.jpg (56KB, 800x592px) Image search: [Google]
DSsBl9F.jpg
56KB, 800x592px
been trying for like 3 weeks, can't get an online group together

anyone else experienced similar troubles
>>
>>48058965
Yes. It's bad enough that no one ever wants to play the games I want to, my timezone is not compatible with the vast majority...
>>
>>48041469
>>48041986
Maybe their experience with him gming is so shit they know he wont run long if running pathfinder.
>>
>>48053231
Your problem is bad dm and you are a shit for making it based on the edition of gay side quest you are running.
>>
>"pathfinder is boring, we want more roleplay!"
>sick of pathfinder, agree
>no one fucking roleplays in new game
>>
>>48058933
We actually kinda stopped playing pathfinder for whatever reason, which was probably for the best with the fact of he can't hold a story together worth a damn.
>>
>>48060061
So you kicked him out then?
>>
>>48029706
That's actually fucking hilarious.
If it's unintentional, 10/10.
>>
>>48060112
not exactly I just don't play with him anymore and when I do hes not the gm thank god I mean I guess hes a good player for understanding the rules to a degree but I just can't get it out of the back of my mind that he purchased the books when he didn't have to. Not to mention the fact the rest of the group and I would be pissed about the player killer in the group.
>>
>>48060276
besides really we try to refrain from calling him out on his bullshit openly cuz then he just goes into whiny edgelord mode and its just pathetic to watch for everyone then expects us to forget about the whole argument literally 5 minutes later then anyone that brings it up in the fucking slightest are treated like an immature brat. Like one time i called him a weaboo as a joke even though it's fucking true with what i said before yet he gives me a 20 minute lecture in a fucking group chat about how he shouldn't be called a weaboo "because he doesn't like that" even though he calls another person in the group a weaboo constantly when they are not. Then 2 seconds later denies ever calling him a weaboo when just a bit ago he fucking says "he's more of a weaboo then I am". One of us actually thinks hes starting to lose it and it was the damn PKer that said it.
>>
File: hole man.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
hole man.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
Requesting an image of the BBEG of our campaign. He's got white holy robes and generally looks like the priest of a good religion complete with robes and holy symbol. The only thing that separates him from the rest is that his skin has scales from the neck down. Basically i need a drawing for when the pope was finally discovered to be a reptilian in disguise preparing for the new world order.
pic related
>>
>>48059169
just play FATE
>>
>>48029706
You should just be racist black at him, then its all fun and games.
>>
>>48029587
>Have a character friend or family member
>Talk with DM about it and they seem up for it
>Finally introduces them after everyone else got their little character arcs
>"Lol fuk u m8 bet u like to stick diks up ya bum hurr hurr"
This isn't about one game, this is every time I've gotten the chance to interact with npcs

Do they just think I piss in their coffee.
>>
>>48030490
My new 5e group uses that rule as well, and I think it's awful. It's a shame, because it's a great group otherwise.
>>
File: 1466761569180.jpg (65KB, 544x782px) Image search: [Google]
1466761569180.jpg
65KB, 544x782px
The room we game in is currently torn apart for renovations and needs a new coat of paint. Been working on it whenever I have time off, but I've still got some time to go. I actually love being the forever GM, but it'd be nice if one of my players would throw some shit together to play while we're all displaced. Especially the one that keeps talking about the game he really, really wants to run one day. You know who you are.
>>
Added a new player into group. First warning sign should've been they were 10 years younger than the rest of the group. Gender Queer, Otherkin. Hooboy.jpg. Hasn't left parent's house yet at 21 constantly is talking about how good of a Martial Artist they are. Despite being the clumsiest mother fucker I know including my neighbor with Palsy. Proclaims to be a Roleplayer and hates social situations in game, constantly whines we aren't fighting. Has no freaking concept of appropriate levels of violence in a game. Currently we're doing a Teen Superhero game. Apparently to her mind permanent crippling is the right level of violence for a school yard brawl in a game where we're trying to be LG Superheroes. For those of you familiar with the Mutants and Masterminds system, we're a group of PL6 guys currently fighting a PL10 villain. It was supposed to be our Vader and Obi wan moment where our Mentor sacrifices themselves for us to escape and fight another day. Nope. Some dumbshit had to charge in for REVENGE!!!

That's about it for my Friday game. Saturday game vent/rant incoming next.
>>
>>48034748
not that guy, but that sounds really really overpowered. that sounds like a guaranteed success lol. wouldn't it be better to take 5 or something instead?
>>
>>48034765
you should probably kill your DM, eugenics and all that.
>>
File: TripleZero.jpg (193KB, 625x1000px) Image search: [Google]
TripleZero.jpg
193KB, 625x1000px
>>48037553
>He tells people what actions to take so that he can combo off them later.
Party synergy is not necessarily a bad thing, though I agree he's a faggot.

>>48041227
>baww racist
>that image
Bait or just subtle shitposting?

>>48055740
A tip about Star Wars. Never forget the size of planets and the massive variety of species, most with their own individual architecture. Even Coruscant, which has gotten so much attention, largely remains undefined in either the original or new canons barring the areas not far from the Senate and Jedi Temple. For a great example of what I mean, read this. I know Traviss is a hack, but she did pretty well in exploring both Mandalorian culture and the planet of Coruscant itself.

Just think outside the box.
>>
>5e
>DM is fairly new to this and so are most of the players
>Golden Age of Piracy setting
>DM clearly leans towards casters
>puzzles and encounters are designed around using magic
>talked me out of Eldritch Knight before I knew this
>convinced me to go Battle Master
>have yet to encounter a situation where I'm at all useful
He's a good guy and is definitely trying to make it interesting, but I'm being completely left in the dust and don't really get to do much besides talking, leaving me really unsatisfied at the end of every session and wanting more, but the session after is just the same shit.

>>48062916
>>
>>48062892

Saturday...The game, GM and half the players I got nothing against. 10/10 Totes McGoats my bros. There are 4 Pc's out of the 9 of us total that I have beef with. Three of them insist upon party unity and complete cohesion. Despite the fact they are the primary source of all animosity within the characters and the gaming group as a whole. Insist upon everyone being friends in game, which is nice but it's not a necessity for a functioning party. A professional relationship is just fine. The fourth PC i dislike is just an annoying Ego Centric twatmuffin whose only allowed to stay cause when he fucks up it's usually hilariously epic. But the other 3 bitched for months for us to retire our campaign of 13 years to start fresh in a low power setting where we all ahve to work together. So our GM put together a ASOIAF campaign for us. We all work for the same Lord trying to rebuild his house in the wake of Robert's Rebellion. The party is as follows.

> Tournament Knight. Decent at Intrigue, good at combat.

> Personal guard to our Lord. Fantastic swordsman and excellent at spotting trouble.

> "Alchemist and totally not a Poison Master". Also the closest thing to a Maester we have in the party.

> Former Sell Sword Officer. Good at Intrigue, Good at Warfare, passable in standard combat (Me).

The other four fuck knuckles.

> Northern Bastard whose into breeding dogs. Sort of a scout as well but not that good at it.

> Stormlands bastard whose into breeding and raising horses. Kind of a meh combatant.

> Knight fromt he Vale and I have no idea what this guy does he's just kind of been there...done jack shit so far.

> Dornish Scout who has no awareness or stealth. Is just a pure Spear Master. Also doesn't do shit.
>>
>>48034306
>Party has to rescue the child of a merchant and kill/jail the perpetrators
>Manage to get a meeting with them with the rest of the party in a tavern around a large rectangular table, each party in one side, and the rogue on the seat next to the entrance pickpocketing everytime the door's bell ringed
>We manage to get the location of the kid, cool, now for the killing
>blah blah fooled ya
>prebuffed 22 str fighter flips the table to their faces
>Lolno "...or so you try but all his mighty attempts results in is on the table being tilted and and the bandit's drinks spill on them, and now they're even angrier". Also, roll init
At least I was able get one of these fuckers soaked in alcohol in the fireplace
>>
>>48030490
i had a dm that used that god damn crit fumble and crit hit deck. used both for players and monsters alike. my archer had his hand bit off in the first round of a colosseum combat with a flying acid spitting demon.
>>
>>48043865
Sounds like their failure to understand social situations is so complete that they think this is a normal way to interact with people.

Seen the same in some if my games. "What do you mean he's mad I tried to kill him? !"
>>
>>48042919
> they broil restlessly becuase it's the humans that are inherently uncivilizaed and antihetical to civilization
Kinda bullshit, since people have a bit of a way too strong tendency to organize into civilizations to be "inherently uncivilizaed and antihetical to civilization".

>but there is a species of ant, the most common ant, that doesn't fight eachother
Neither Lasius niger nor Formica rubra (which are the species that people usually call "the common ants") are like that. Every colony has "rip those guys apart" as the default reaction to ants from other colonies, even of the same species. Which is natural, since the competition grows more fierce the smaller is the group in question - interspecies competition < competition between populations < competition within population.

>Humans are tribal even in a "civilization" because in order to not behave that way, we have to actively fight our programming
The point of civilization is that we don't have to rely on our instincts or fight them, as they are just pushed into irrelevance by the force of authority. Society at large doesn't really care about how goes one's struggle against his more animal impulses - it simply beats one up and isolates him from itself if he ever acts on those impulses.

>many racist people who look down on savages are ironically acting just like them
They don't look down on them because they think that they are less moral or more animal, but because they are weaker in every way possible. It's a position of a situational superiority, not a moral one. I don't think that there have been many people confusing the two since 1945.

>What makes tribes weak is not their attitude towards others, but the lack of military and order to force compliance for someones benefit
Sure. And why does civilization has stronger military force? Because it has means of congregating, administrating and directing the labor of many towards it's goals. Said means are known as culture.
>>
>>48043498
Not even gonna answer to this, since this guy >>48044048 already did it perfectly.

>>48043578
>Why do we say edison invented the light bulb if we agree that progress like that occurs at the hands of the conglomeration of people and their shared views and information and tools?
Because you are uneducated Americans who don't even read their own textbooks.
>>
>school setting
>my PC is really proud of herself
>other PC pulls dumb pranks on others
>my PC got pranked, proceeds to threaten prankster
>both get detention
>PC gets pranked again, threatens prankster once more, demands proper apology
>Prankster gives a half assed apology

I'm good friends with the guy playing the prankster, all hate and stuff remained strictly IC, he contacted me after session
>him: I don't like the direction this is going!
>me: PC gave you the chance to fix things, you didn't
>him: but that's not the way i wanna roleplay him
>me: that's fine, we can still solve IC

Few hours after session, DM contacts me
>i get that you're expressing your character and all but you're starting to interfere with other player's fun in roleplaying their character
>I don't want PCs to hate each other
So what I am getting is, others get to play their characters the way they want, but the second i decide my character doesn't react in a good way to someone's actions, I should stop playing my character that way?
>>
>>48048800
l o l
>>
>>48034874
>My players only want Forgotten Realms.
1. Read Moorcock
2. start Forgotten Realms game
3. suddenly, evil wizard planeshifts party into you new setting
4. they have to find their way back
If they like the plane you can suggest more games there.
>>
>>48070107
>pulling a bait and switch on the party
>not just with an item or as party of the narrative, but with the setting itself

I don't know whether to applaud or hate you. On one hand it's a solid idea, on the other, it may or may not completely ruin what I intended to do with the character. It's incredibly disruptive, although not outright bad.
>>
>>48070212
That is why step 1 is there. Moorcock was always good in making the weird planes Elric visited somehow familiar, and his world actually weird.
Dm doesn't even need to make it long. This one time I was GMing a zombie survival game(magic zombies raised by a cult, not viral) one of my players fell asleep inside a secret chamber in a church after reading a strange grimoire. In half a session I made him(other players hadn't come) go through a dream quest I pretty much ripped from celephais and unknown kadath by lovecraft. I packed so many hooks that the player's curiosity was nearly TKO'd, he wanteto go back there for more later. Sadly, the game came to a TPK due to very poor decision making from the otther two players, and two of them moved away too.
>>
>>48034874

Get a new group jesus. Stop being the third social outcast in your group.
>>
>>48053694

Not to mirror the "What went wrong?" thread from earlier today, but I've had this problem too. CR math is incredibly off, and ignoring it barely helps.
>>
>>48033075

I don't... if they don't like the combat in 4e, what DO they like?
>>
File: 1420412572662.png (75KB, 591x538px) Image search: [Google]
1420412572662.png
75KB, 591x538px
>I WANT TO PLAY THE BATMAN MINIS GAME, BUT THERE IS NO SCANS ONLINE AND THE BOOK IS TOO MUCH

>I SINGLE HANDEDLY BROUGHT 40K BACK FORM THE DEAD IN MY COMUNITY AND ALL I DO IS GET SHIT ON FOR NOT ALLOWING SUPERHEAVYS AT MY TOURNAMENTS

>ALL THE GAMESTORES IN TOWN ARE RUN BY MONEY HUNGRY COCK SUCKERS
>>
>>48041191

It's not the system when the DM is ignoring the rules. By RAW in 5e someone with 18 Strength can lift up to 540 lbs, no roll required.
>>
Oh thank gods I found this thread.

So I'm a forever GM but a few months back 2 of my players both wanted to try their hands at running a campaign. I suggested they try some of Pathfinder's preprepared stuff so they have an idea of what sort of things they need to have prepared and some of the pace a campaign should have seeing as that worked for me back in 3.5. Both of them refused then around a couple weeks later said they had made an entire campaign. Thus my nightmare began.

The first on is trying really hard and I want him to succeed, it's clear he's put a lot of effort into the setting at the very least but he doesn't know the rules and he's forgotten that the game actually requires role playing and not just combat encounters one after another. It's been months in and out of game and all our characters still act like complete strangers to one another being grouped together by quest giver after quest giver. He doesn't understand combat balance, pacing, or party composition because he's running the campaign for EIGHT PLAYERS which could be alright if done right but it isn't and combat alternates between so few enemies they are instantly killed by two of us and nobody else does anything, and too many enemies that we're overrun and killed. Leading me to my next point that he coddles PCs like nobody's business, his girlfriend's especially (no surprise). We were KOd by Kobolds he then said the Kobolds healed us to full health and put us in a jail cell (Even though we were literally commiting genocide against them.) and they 'forgot' to heal themselves and their wounded (Because Kobolds aren't smart guys.).

Our cleric, his girlfriend, doesn't know any of her spells, spends at least eight minutes looking them up each turn and still gets them wrong, he over embelishes on the spell's effects at one point one ray spell she cast apparently exploded into several rays of light and blinded eight kobolds... This was before she rolled to hit. TBC
>>
File: Edna Mode.jpg (11KB, 282x216px) Image search: [Google]
Edna Mode.jpg
11KB, 282x216px
The best way to counter the shitty CR system in 5e is to jot down a couple of situational modifiers for each Major encounter.

Modifier A. is used when the fight is going too well for the Monsters/Enemies
Modifier B. is used when the players are cakewalking and seemed to be growing bored.

These can be shifts in the fight environment (collapsing ceiling/floor, flooding room, big wine casks a monster breaks when falling back dead, introducing flammables, ect ect)

Or the introduction of a third element to the fight, (tunneling beast breaks through wall, attacking one side or the other, wild bear in the woods, freed prisoner, and so on)

Or the enemies themselves do something unexpected (Bandit leader is a werewolf, Bandit is an infiltrating spymaster/ranger good guy, Wizard drinks a potion that turns him into a monster/oops now the monster is berserk and killing friends and allies alike).

I always have a Good and Bad situation modifier for every 5th edition big fight. It's bad to overwhelm the party intentionally, it's also bad for an unchallenging fight to bog down.
>>
>>48071126
Our Barbarian is NG and never rages because she abhors violence, Our bloodrager doesn't understand what Base Attack Bonus is and is the edgiest of half-wyvern demon blooded dragonkin. Our bard quit after three sessions straight of dungeon crawling where he was unable to do anything at all because of Dungeon size + party size. Our Oracle hasn't shown up to a session since the first, our Monk has admitedly never played a lawful character and instead of harming characterization just doesn't speak, I rarely get to do anything because the GM never gives me time to prepare spells in his massive multilevel dungeons, and the fighter literally doesn't speak to anyone in or out of character unless we're in combat.

The other GM is a fucking imbecile. I've been part of his campaign for nearly four months now and it reads like fanfiction, we're in the setting from Rise of Legends, ruled over by Sean Connery, which is being invaded by the Wraiths from Stargate who come from some alternate dimension which is actually something from Bleach apparently. None of the content is original, the story is a mess, he is clearly making it up as the session is goiing on, and he switches between being a killer GM and overprotective from session to session. Playing a witch I actually tried to get myself killed by charging headlong into combat against his special sci-fi supersoldier and I shit you not 3/4 according to him crit failed so badly that their weapons exploded killing them. Then the next week he threw around 12 of them at us, and they TPKd. Never to fear though because one of his Wraiths showed up and brought us all back from the dead instantly. Me and the other players have been trying to do anything but he sent us on a quest to 'recover power cores' which means walk for a while, fight twelve enemies within a time limit, then repeat an indefinite number of times. TBC
>>
>>48071276
This is why (I can't put this modestly) as a really fun and imaginative DM my biggest problem is narrowing down to a reasonable sized group of players without hurting any feelings.

Because being a great DM is hard work; and there are plain just a lot of terrible DMs out there.
>>
a decent amount to vent

my dm constantly "shows the little man behind the screen"

she'll say "you need to make a dc X check to do this" or something like that (IE telling us enemy health). It just kinda bugs me. She also never, ever really describes something while in combat which really bores the fuck out of me.

when i DM I play combat music and give detailed explanation of every encounter and do my best to flow turns into each other to give the impression that this is all happening at once and not that we're all just standing about waiting our turn like gents. current DM goes about as far as "ok that hits, the kobold takes five damage"

she's a real sweetheart but she's just a bit boring.

as for players, the fighter player is incredibly self-absorbed and seems to think of himself as the protagonist or some shit, because he expects the rest of us to go along with his stupid shit. Our rouge constantly pockets shit that should be going to the party and even when someone is standing right next to him he gets away with it for some reason. It just makes everyone else in the party slightly annoyed with him. He's not even a thief or assassin, he's a LN swashbuckler
>>
>>48071276
All I can say is; when you find a good/great DM, work your ass off to be as enjoyable a person to run for as you possibly can.
Don't let past bad experiences color your reactions to setback with a good DM; sometimes bad stuff happens.
>>
>>48071276
After we finally managed to get our characters killed which took ridiculous amounts of effort and at one point carving explosive runes into my face. We all rolled up combat characters as our previously squishy characters were not faring well against the frequent combat. This brought us to our most recent session where in response to our new characters the GM tossed around fifty high level enemies who were cloning themselves at us, killed all of us but one in three roudns of combat, and then made fun of us for having put so much effort into making our new characters. I'm just about done with his self-indulgent power fantasy of a campaign but I'm going in one more time, making one more character and trying to beat this fucking nightmare.

Thus ends my rant.
>>
>>48071309
It helps if the party has a leader; keeps the game flowing. If you don't like the Fither leading, try to be a more appealing leader.

As a DM, If I am having players fight a mess of say, Giant Crabs, I will give them the armor class they are trying to hit. I have a lot of combat variables to consider, given that I am at any time running 4-10x as many "characters" in the fight as you are. I'm ok with people knowing their "to hit" number without having to play some behind the screen game "ohhh you JUST missed".

I also try to flavor my encounters and fights with stylish descriptions, but sometimes the sheer weight of resolving a good sized battle pulls the DM out of it as well. It's a matter of practice and experience. Also helps if the players stylishly describe THEIR attacks and just aren't "I rolled a 17 with my axe".
>>
>>48035057
>Most recently my character got hit by a mace and my DM vividly described the bruising of intestine and made my fucking roll constitution to not piss myself. When I inevitably failed (hurr thief with constitution) the resultant humiliation description was about a paragraph long.

Maybe I've been here too long, but I can't decide if this is
A) a misguided attempt at having a "gritty" tone
B) just him generally being a dick
C) a fetish thing
>>
>>48071406
Probably a bit of all three.
>>
>Party finds a portal to another dimension.
>Guardian of the portal tests would-be-travellers
>I'm the only one to fail.
>Rest of the session is everyone else having an adventure in the portal. No skip back to me so I'm just sitting at the table bored.

Not even the first time it's happened. Those are the worst sessions, when you think 'why did I bother turning up'.
>>
>>48071632
What was the test?
>>
>>48071657
Just a die roll.
>>
>>48071683
Then your DM officially doesn't like you.
Find a new DM.
>>
>>48071683
This is why I like GUMSHOE, Fate, or anything that does away with the idea that failure stops the story.
>>
>>48071765
If his DM weren't a dick, he'd force all the players to tell a funny joke or an amusing anecdote.

Then he'd be justified in leaving behind a player who completely lacked the imagination to even give it a try.
>>
>>48071787
It could just be poor adventure design. They came up with a plot, thought 'they'll solve the riddle/persuade the king', etc, and didn't have anything prepared for another outcome. Sucks to be the guy left out though.
>>
>>48071880
Either the GROUP should have succeeded, or the group should have failed.
The basic premise is stupid and divisive.
>>
>>48071897
Oh, I definitely agree with you. It was handled poorly.
>>
>>48071880
>>48071897
>>48071925
no matter what you should NEVER leave a player at your fucking table out of the majority of a session for any reason at all.

You need to respect your player's time. They chose to be here to have fun, not getting to participate because they failed a random dice roll is insane

that anon's GM is either super shit or hates him
>>
>>48033887
That sounds so much like my table that I'm worried I'll be taking heat for this post next week. Lucky I haven't had any naval action, that was next week.
>>
>>48033333
not checking quints is literally worse than murder
>>
>>48070966

Make friends with the chart on DGM 274 "Monster Statistics by Challenge Rating," which gives a generic no-frills, no-abilities stat line for each CR. It's *good* for helping create custom monsters. It's *great* for trying to figure out how
an existing monster is statted out. CR 5 might mean a CR 20 defense mixed with a CR 1/4 offense. Or it might mean a CR 1 offense, a CR1 defense, and an insanely good save vs suck. Figuring out why something is valued at the CR it is how it is is the first step to mixing it with others on that same level to get an encounter you can actually use.
>>
>>48072294
:-3
>>
>>48062916
Not really. keep in mind that if you actually roll the die you have a 55% chance of getting 10 or better.

If you've invested enough to succeed on even a "challenging" task for some skill on a natural 10 that you've probably dropped a bunch of resources (skill points, feats, etc) on it at which point you deserve to be able to be able to autosucceed at your chosen skill during non-stressful situations.

Also, if things aren't stressful and there's no penalty for failure, some editions let you "take 20," which is literally just a way to make "keep trying until you get a 20" take less time away from the rest of the game.
>>
File: 1459120387272.jpg (54KB, 540x472px) Image search: [Google]
1459120387272.jpg
54KB, 540x472px
Me and one of my friends like to pull funny stuff in games, we will make albert and costello duo characters and pull pranks for fun. DM constantly refers to the other players as the ''good ones'' and one time when me and my friend were trying to hustle an NPC the DM turned to the other players and said ''Okay, ignoring the children, what do you guys do?'' Me and my friend are 20 and 18 years old, yet our DM treats us like shit for trying to have fun.
>>
>>48077865
Stop wasting everyone else's time, seriously. You are being That Guy.
>>
>>48078750
Seconded. Maybe if you stopped acting like children, you'd stop being treated like them.
>>
>>48077865
You are being dicks.
>>
>>48077865
>craft a story and world for your players
>two guys make gnome barbarian tier meme characters and shit all over everything every session while the rest of the players actually try
Hmm
>>
>>48077865
>albert and costello
>>
>>48038863
Kill yourself and go back to /pol/
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.