[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online Campaigns are too slow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Outside.png (2MB, 799x699px) Image search: [Google]
Outside.png
2MB, 799x699px
How do you online DMs get anything done in reasonable time? Especially in Roll20 where I need to move and make rolls for several NPC's instead of just waving my hands the game just slows down too much. At least two of my players were playing hearthstone last session. I've made sure all my players are using headsets with mics and are mostly familiar with the site and they're doing fine on time, I think it's really the DM's fault here but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've been taking far too long to roll for the NPCs and give a good description of what they're doing.

It's a homebrew 3.5 game and I like having a lot of NPC's in my games. First session I decided on actions for each NPC, rolled d20s for each, and rolled saves and damage. Second session I rolled all the d20s at once to try and save time. Now, I'm rolling a d100 for each 'group' of NPC's and estimating how well they do based on that. The players will still roll d20s. I also abandoned the idea of all the NPCs having a single turn in the turn list and am splitting up the NPC turns in-between player turns. I'm afraid the d100 system will break down the moment they get into battle with the skeletons next night.

Any advice? Did I just throw in too many NPC's? There has to be a good system for NPC action.
>>
>>47796782
Stop using grid combat tone down the npc's
>>
File: icwinddale.jpg (363KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
icwinddale.jpg
363KB, 1023x764px
>>47796782

you're playing too much with the app and not with the players

I had to realize this a few sessions in. My 3 games are 3 hours long, and usually for the first hour I'm in my chair. The last two hours I'm drunk and laying on my bed with a pillow over my face being the world for my players.

tl;dr: How I Learned to Stop Micromanaging and Embrace the Storytelling Experience
>>
>>47798291

my games are 3 hours long*
>>
>>47798291
You're right, I don't need the dice, just the visuals. Apart from what the players interact with, I can play things out like a proper story with words instead of a thousand rolls. I'll try it at the least. Thanks.

>>47797908
Muh grids though
Muh NPC battles though
>>
>3.5
Found your problem.
Everything takes lots of real time, you have to look up tables for DC/AC/Modifiers every time you make a roll if you don't have photographic memory. If you handwave your (probably 3aboo/system mastery) players will probably just complain. Or they won't it's really hit or miss with players, especially because I don't know your particular group. Don't bother switching to 5e, it's the same in that regard, looking for advantage/modifiers/DCs/proficiency.
If you're really adamant about playing D&D, play something easy like B/X or a retroclone. The AD&D family (1e up to 5e) is really just for neckbeards with too much free time.

Not that I could tell you anything about anything BUT D&D games. I don't play anything else.
>>
>>47796782
stop playing DnD maybe?
>>
>>47796782
If things are taking too long, set up some generic macros and cut back on description. Immersion is important, but sometimes it's fine to just let the game be a game for the sake of getting the fuck on with it.
>>
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try more changes. Thankfully my group is pretty cheery and knows I'm still experimenting with the format. This was originally suppose to be a 2 session module I cooked up to test the water, but they don't need to know I'm bad at estimating time.

>>47800219
>'Don't use D&D'
>'I don't play anything else'
That joke is too old. You're right about playing the modifier game and DC AC though. Maybe the fix is just to have a pen and paper and homebrew/wing all the DCs and ACs.
>>
>>47800219
What is B/X?
>>
>>47796782
Moving NPC tokens around is one thing but absolutely don't bother with the dice roller on roll20 for 'behind the screen' rolling. I usually just roll a few dice on my desk to speed things along.
>>
>>47796782
I've had my issues with roll20 sucking up more time and effort than meatspace, but I'm not sure how what you're talking about could be one of them.

How do you keep rolling for NPCs from taking forever when you play in person? Why can't you just do that in roll20?

It sounds to me like you're feeling beholden to use the integrated dice tools in roll20, and those are the cause of the slowdown. But there's no such obligation. If it's faster for you to use real dice, then use real dice. Simple as that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.