[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greetings friends, please pardon my intrusion. My friends and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: 1339710393890.jpg (43KB, 532x532px) Image search: [Google]
1339710393890.jpg
43KB, 532x532px
Greetings friends, please pardon my intrusion.

My friends and I have been playing D&D 3.5e and we realized that it's somewhat boring. My DM gave me a free pass to find a new system that's much more interesting to work with, and I figured I'd come here first to ask the seasoned veterans of /tg/.

Do you have a preferred system you enjoy using?
>>
>>47785418
>Do you have a preferred system you enjoy using?

I sure do.
>>
>>47785438

Would you tell me what it is?

You don't have to if you don't want to. ;_;
>>
>>47785418
If your group knows anything about 40K lore, do Dark Heresy.

If not, try Mutants and Masterminds.
>>
>>47785449
I'm pretty sure anon is looking for a system for generic fantasy adventures.
>>
>>47785418
As far as fantasy goes my favourite would be DSA (The Dark Eye). Don't know how available it's wherever you are, I think it's mostly a german thing.
'Been looking into DnD5e lately which seems nice enough, though it's mostly combat oriented as well.
If you're into Sci-Fi, try Stars Without Number. The mechanics are nice and simple and the sandboxy nature of the system allows for a lot of different playstyles.
Then there's always Shadowrun.
>>
>>47785456
Mutants and Masterminds does generic fantasy adventure better than DnD.
>>
>>47785418
What kind of games do you want to play?

For a romance of the three kingdoms/weaboo fightan/mechas/beings of great cosmic powers, I would say Exalted 3e.

For a "serious" and "gritty" game where many things are out to get you, try 40k Dark heresy

For a realistic/modern/anything historical game I would suggest GURPS

For superheroes punching, blasting and generally vanquishing supercriminals, I suggest Mutants and Masterminds 3e.
>>
>>47785491

We all agreed on having high fantasy for the setting.
>>
>>47785418
Alternatively, if you like dark themes and violence and vampires, I gues nWoD would be the thing for you.
>>
>>47785418
why D&D 3.5 is boring to your group?

If we dont know that, we cant help you.
>>
>>47785498
The Dark Eye is mostly for low fantasy, so that's out of the question.

You can play a high fantasy game with the Mutants and Masterminds ruleset... or you could go with Exalted and just be really big fucking heroes and shit, conquering lands, fucking wenches and slaying ancient monsters bare-handed all in one day of work.
>>
>>47785523
I think Myranor (the Pathfinder to the Dark Eye, kinda) leans more toward High Fantasy, though I'm not entirely sure.
>>
Fantasy Craft. It's similar in idea to dnd, but caters to generally a much higher power level. Its mechanics are interesting and different from 3.5, but familiar enough that the change over won't be difficult.
>>
>>47785418
Gamma world?
I mean...it isnt exactly fantasy, but it is 10/10 when your a horde of midgets defending the last truck stop with lasers against alien AI
>>
>>47785418
What are you bored with? Because either 4e, or if not that then 5e could be a step up.

Of course leaving the comfort zone with something not d20 could also work. Savage Worlds maybe?
>>
What do you mean by "boring" and what do you want out of a game? Less technicality? More of it? More flashy abilities? People are just pushing their own favorites with no real idea what you want if you don't clarify
>>
>>47785646

I suppose flashy abilities work.

I feel like we're just using basic auto attacks for all the encounters we had so far.
>>
>>47785654
Are you all playing martials? If so, that could be the reason.
If you want flashy abilities for 3.5 martials, look up "Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords"
>>
>>47785654
Sounds like 4e or Strike! then.
>>
Honestly? As someone getting into D&D 5e I feel as though it isn't the game that's boring, but the people I play with y'know? My DM is probably new at running campaigns 'cuz he runs it like a videogame with how he doesn't even give us a multiple choice in some cases such as "do you take the left or right path" or a similar choice.

My players don't get into it enough either. They're more spectator and less roleplayer which is a major point and flavor of playing the game. I'm considering making my own D&D campaign 'cuz I know someone who's new and wants to get into it. His enthusiasm is refreshing.
>>
>>47785498

13th Age, D&D 5th Edition, Dungeon World, GURPS, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, Ars Magica, Make You Kingdom, Ryuutama, Warrior Rogue & Mage, Fantasy Craft, OSRIC, Castles and Crusades...
>>
>>47785654
>>47785684
Tome of battle is probably the easy way if you think the group is going to be hard get out of 3.5. Probably worth looking into since it would be easy to understand already knowing the system at least.

I don't know shit about them, but otherwise anima and exalted are the first things that come to mind for flashy
>>47785687
4e could work well if the DM is really familiar with it, but if one just picks up the PHB, MM, and DMG 1 and runs it they'll probably be pretty bored. As for Strike! I haven't really heard anything about it
>>
>>47785418
>GURPS
Its a generic point-buy system, as opposed to your fantasy-only class-based system.
Give it a shot. Lite version is free on sjgames.com
You probably wont ever need to use anything else
>>
>>47785806
>Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
That's actually a really good idea.
>>
>>47785836
>4e could work well if the DM is really familiar with it, but if one just picks up the PHB, MM, and DMG 1 and runs it they'll probably be pretty bored

On the other hand as long as the DM catches a 4eg, he'll be told to just use the rules compendium/MM+/Monster Vault and maybe read the DMGs, Players only need the offline builder.

It's one of the easier D&Ds to play/run.
>>
>>47785836
>As for Strike! I haven't really heard anything about it

It's a 4e "clone", though it's not easy to tell at first glance. Probably the one that departs farthest from the D&D origins. Streamlines everything, and I mean everything, down to the bare essentials.
>>
Savage Worlds is a personal favourite but really, I'll try a lot of things once. Like Fate or *World.

I wouldn't have replied, but trapdakuni got my attention. Well done OP
>>
>>47785418
My group went from D&D (multiple editions) to the Warhammer Fantasy RP system, 2nd ed. (As we were already somewhat familiar with the Wh40krp system from Only War and Dark Heresy)

We haven't gone back, it's generally a better system for interesting low power - high lethality games that favour actual problem solving and RP over just hack and slash combat, but imo it even does that better.
>>
>>47785806
>Ars Magica
If your looking for a medieval fantasy game, go this one. Good possibility to run high or low fantasy, one of the greatest magic systems out there, and its 5e is stellar. Just note that it takes forever to set up, as (typically) players have a mage, a not mage, and some generic moons. However, that's not to say just one or two players roll mages and everyone else makes a mythic companion and the party just goes around in their Verditius made flying castle
>>
>>47785806
>wants a more interesting and flexible system
>5e
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.