[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5E General - Mount Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 359
Thread images: 28

File: feeding the horse.png (2MB, 1009x824px) Image search: [Google]
feeding the horse.png
2MB, 1009x824px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Does your character own a mount? Have any of your characters owned an exotic mount? Do you feed your mount?
>>
>>47661074
I'm planning a halfling beastmaster riding a panther
50 feet of movement, pounce attack, free dash/disengage, crazy stealth bonus and starting at level 4 get mounted combatant for shenanigans
>>
>>47661195
>excuse me sir, we dont allow animals in the castle
>>
>>47661074
>new UA about feats
>this gun be good!

>the weapon feats all add +1 to attack rolls

You
dumb
mother
fuckers
>>
>>47661281
You only get, like, 5 chances for feats unless you're a fighter or rogue or a boring human. They NEED to be amazing in order to even compete with option of just boosting your primary stats.

Also UA is just a glorified playtest, there's a lot of unbalanced shit in there.
>>
>>47661074
I was in a campaign a while ago where one of the players tried to tame a giant bat.

Sadly, that campaign didn't go for very long...
>>
>>47661074
My Half-Elf Paladin recently reached level 5 so I have to pick a mount. I think cause he has some Elven lineage I may go elk or something. Not sure.
>>
>>47661337
My DM said that conjuring horses out of nowhere doesn't fit his ''''dark'''' ''''fantasy'''' '''vision'''', so he removed this spell. Instead he gave me a spell that subdued the nearest large animal to me. I responsed by riding giant frogs.
>>
File: 1431756374613.jpg (169KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1431756374613.jpg
169KB, 800x534px
Is there any way to make homebrews that look good without photoshop or microsoft word?
>>
>>47661358
You're doing God's work, anon.

Hop onward. To glory.
>>
>>47661312
Pretty much this, we can't expect it to be balanced and blow our minds from the get go

Either way, a generous DM could allow a stat increase AND a feat on the levels you get them, or just give out a few feats here and there

Or even use the optional rule where you can spend gold and downtime to acquire a feat without having to spend a precious ASI
>>
>>47661358
That's actually a little OP, don't they have that swallow move?
>>
>>47661370
Naturalcrit
>>
>>47661358
Speaking of mounts, the PHB only really mentions a few "generic" mounts, which have no combat viability on their own, besides the CR 3 elephant. So with actually dangerous mounts, if they are controlled, is there any way to make them attack in combat? Otherwise it's a waste to tame an elephant or dinosaur
>>
>>47661452
But elephants and dinosaurs are badass.
>>
>>47661399
You cannot make your mount do anything besides "move, take the dodge, disengage, and dash actions"

Which is why mounts suck, besides dual wielding lances
>>
>>47661452
If you could somehow manage to get a large animal companion as a ranger you could order it to attack

But right now the only way to do that RAW is by being a small race with a medium companion
>>
>>47661401
ty anon
>>
>>47661467
Read page 198 PHB.

Mounts are too limited.
>>
So I've made a huge mistake but one that I feel could end up being a really cool few sessions, one of my players a half orc managed to end up leader of a few large tribes of orcs all united under one banner by being the biggest baddest orc in the place, I could have every orc in the place just challenge him to fight to the death to claim the title for themselves but I'd rather do some orcish political intrigue.
So far I'm thinking that the orcs prophet of some kind comes to him with the old chestnut of a prophecy that a great orc would work together with humans and orcs to drive back the evil coming for us all, then have a bunch of the clans leave the tribe because he's a half breed that they won't follow into battle and have him have to win the favour of a few other tribes
Maybe have 7 tribes and have them be able to go through about 3 in a day with some tribes being all fighters who'll only join if he beats the shit out of some other guys but others be more like magical and musiciany or healery or roguish and have to prove other abilities to them like wit and intellect. Then in the night have them discover an assassination plot that they can foil or flee from the camp so they won't spend all session or next two sessions plodding around the camp chatting to orcs looking to get them to join up
>>
>>47661530
Horrible wall of text I know but I was typing it on my phone and coming back and forth from making breakfast. Also it's all of our first rpg so any over done tropes and stuff are absolutely fine since none of us have done them before.
>>
>>47661281
At least they didn't make prestige classes a thing again, or encourage edgy homebrew classes
>>47661358
Not sure why he didn't realize summoning a magic horse could just mean it comes running from wherever the fuck it was previously, but it sounds like he learned a valuable lesson either way
>>47661487
He could use it for out of combat storage
>>
>>47661312
>They NEED to be amazing in order to even compete with option of just boosting your primary stats.

That's the entire problem. By making it what is essentially a stat increase, you now add another tax for fighters to grab before they can grab feats that actually do stuff. As if GWM wasn't stupid enough.

This "worked" out in 4e with the expertise feats is because they were boring math fix feat to begin with, that later got changed into more flavorful bonuses depending on weapon type.

5e feats aren't supposed to give you +1 to attack or +2 to damage or any shit like that.

Not to mention, when you weigh these towards a stat increase, a stat increase only has 1 damage over them (and no, that +1 to athletics doesn't even matter, and don't pretend it does), and these effects all seem to be stronger than that by quite some.

I'm not saying they are without merit (they are flavorful and help differentiate weapons besides "this one is good against skeletons!"), but the +1 to attack has to fucking go.
>>
>>47661281
With bounded accuracy those are actually potent feats.
>>
>>47661278
>well they let you in, didn't they?
>>
File: images-1.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>47661673
>>
File: 1367622394124.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
1367622394124.gif
999KB, 250x251px
>>47661074
What feat does a Wizard take when he already has 20 Int and stupid high Con?
>>
>>47661074
I'm DM'ing LMoP with a new group. The PCs really really wanted to tame one of the wolves in the first goblin cave so I let them after three successful DC20 Animal Handling checks (in the middle of combat no less, they wasted about 8 combat turns trying to get this to happen)

Anyway, our dwarf ranger wants to use it as a mount. Can dwarves ride wolves?
>>
Spear Master + Sentinel = No enemies ever more again.

You can hit anything in a 35ft square.
>>
>>47661912
I was thinking pikes. Damn.
>>
>>47661337
Checked.

And yeah, go for a fey-like mount.
>>
>>47661894
Dexterity to make saves Charimsa to make lays.

Pretty much do you want to dodge fireballs or talk your way out
>>
>>47661370

Gimp and Open Office
>>
Alright /5eg/, I have no one else to ask but you guys. Gonna be playing in a campaign soon and me and my friends roll for extra things such as phobias and stuff, and I ended up getting an extreme fear of being poisoned(toxicophobia). So I'll be honest I don't know how to roleplay that phobia well, anyone got any ideas? Campaign has vamps in it and we're basically playing in a world akin to Innistrad, so there's that angle. Was thinking of making my character bring silverware with them and test every meal/drink, but it seems shallow. Any help would be great, thanks.
>>
>>47661632
Seems like the +1 attack could be replaced with a +1 str/dex, but then they still seem too good to not take (at least compared to most feats that give you a point somewhere)
>>
>>47661894
>More CON
>DEX
>Warcaster
>Lucky
>Alert
>Crossbow Expert
>Elemental Adept
>Healer
>Magic Initiate
>Resilient
>Tough
>>
>>47661894
raises dex, get a new saving throw proficiency, spell sniper, or that one which helps concentration check would be my choices

Maybe elemental adept if you really like fire for some reason
>>
>>47661632
Would modifying some old feats work?
>>
>>47661976
Just obsessively cast Purify Food and Drink every time you eat, if you're a non-caster then get magic initiate and refuse to eat more than once a day because you can only be sure the food you purify is safe

Don't trust strangers to give you non-poisoned food, don't even trust your allies to purify the food for you, you can only trust yourself to make food edible, because the world is full of poison!
>>
>>47661074
OP what's that picture from?
>>
>>47661907

Generally speaking, dwarves can not ride standard wolves since they're both medium sized creatures. Dire Wolves, Winter Wolves, and Worgs are all large sized though, and as a DM you could always rule that something is large enough regardless of size category.
>>
>>47661506
Funny enough, I've been playing around with Ranger and his little friend, and I've done a lot of play testing on how to "fix" it.

And guess what? If you let beastmaster animal companion CR scale with with moon Druid wildshapbest CR, and remove the size limit, and uncapping the beast CR (leaving the beast limitation) at level 20, you are always balanced damage-wise with fighter and paladin, and your pet can never add so much utility for their to be anything worth mentioning that's "broken"

Nice isn't it?
>>
>>47661074
I had an elk mount for about 5 seconds but then lost it because we all got on a spaceship and flew away.
>>
>>47661074
Bloody hell, that OP made me cringe.
Friend lost half a tit to a horse bite, this stuff is no joke.
>>
>>47662068
Horses are evil
Can kill you with a kick, have a scarily strong bite, and shit everywhere
>>
>>47661976
Don't eat anything you didn't make yourself - or if you didn't witness cooking. Every time you have to leave the table and come back, insist on the parties switching drinks.
>>
>>47662041
>>47662090
Hmm alright, thanks you both for the advice!
>>
>>47662034
Not really, old feats are designed to allow you to do things on a permissive basis, whereas in 5e you're supposed to be able to do anything, and feats just make it easier/more elegant

Look at the first feat they use in the document as an example, if they had gone with that then it would be basically saying characters can't try to knock an enemy's shield aside unless they have the feat, which is how a lot of the 4e and 3.5e feats work, the Fell Handed version just makes it easier to mess with shielded enemies if you have "heavier" melee weapons

Not saying all old feats were bad, but they need to be carefully converted
>>
>>47662090
For a second I thought conversation derailed towards /k/ ...
>>
What is a good feat for a monk?
>>
>>47662049
In my experience the beastmaster is alreary balanced damage-wise

But whatever works for you

I figure if I did allow scaling it would probably be non-moon druid, because CR1 companion from the get-go just doesn't feel right to me
>>
>>47662049
>t-Rex does average 66 damage at best if you follow pet rules
>riding pet
>dual wield lances
>20 strength
>98 average damage
>around the same as level 20 fighter with sharpshooter/GWM, or paladin with GWM

The fuck WotC?
>>
>>47662068
Fucking ouch
>>
>>47662133

Good luck getting a tame T-rex.

Good luck convincing others not to attack it on sight.

Good luck not having it destroy random shit when you aren't around.

Good luck not having it be not be way more trouble than it is worth.

As a DM who deals with a lot of people trying to 'break the game' I could shut that shit down stupid fast.
>>
>>47661976
Besides the above mentioned - know your "enemy" - character should have encyclopedic knowledge of poisons. Exact symptoms of poisoning for each substance, how it can be detected, knows antidotes (if any). And have each of those antidotes on your person if possible.
Hell, have some of the poisons on yourself too. How can you check for a poison by smell if you don't have exact point of reference?
>>
>>47662128
There isn't really much that specifically is good for monks. Alert and Defensive duelist stand out the most to me for monks
>>
>>47662174
Yeah backstory wise my character is a bit of a dabbler in alchemy and knows poisons and her enemies pretty well. Thanks for the input!
>>
>>47662156
I could make some argument about "level 20 ranger" or spells or some shit, but you're 100% right. That is the optimal melee build if that was how beastmaster worked, and even then it's around the same as an optimized melee fighter or paladin. Just shows how lacklustre beastmaster is, and how it could be so much better. Say for arguments sake, you only include things that actually have been tamed, Like elephant for example. Average damage for dual wielding lances with 20 dex at level 20 is 67.
>>
>>47662128
Magic Initiate for bonus damage that stacks with flurry like Hex. It also makes Shove easier.
>>
OLD THREAD
>>47644109
>>47644109
>>
>>47662246
>beast master is lackluster because I can't break the system
baka
>>
>>47662128
There's the "good for everyone feats". Lucky, Alert, Observant, etc. Otherwise, Mobile is the best feat specifically for monk. Defensive Duelist is good, and spear mastery from the UA is good if you aren't going to a high level, since bonus damage. If you're planning on being sun soul, I'd take magic initiate for cleric, taking light, sacred flame, and guiding bolt, because flavour.
>>
>>47662109
I was referring to ones like monkey grip etc. Ones that aren't possible without said feat.
>>
>>47662265
Literally not what I said.

Fighters and Paladin don't break the system with 100+ damage at high level. If those three classes are supposed to be related, paladin is "holy fighter", ranger is "nature fighter", so they should both be balanced damage-wise with fighter, or at least close to it.
>>
>>47662265
its lackluster because its fundamentally worse than hunter. I still like it and think having a companion is cool though. having a bear companion is my shit man.
>>
>>47662316
too bad bears are too high a CR
>>
>>
>>47662334
i know. its just a dream, anon.
>>
>>47662344
>level 20 wizard can turn into a fucking huge ass dragon
>beastmaster can't have more than a fucking dog
>>
>>47662246
A basic beastmaster with a heavy crossbow and a wolf has an average damage of 36 with 2 chances to knock the enemy prone (i'm obviating attack rolls)

Add 10 with sharpshooter for 46 (no crossbow expert needed, it's only 1 crossbow attack and 2 wolf attacks)

Add 3 for hunter's mark if it only counts for you for 49 (if it counts for your wolf as well it's 55)

Now let's get into spells, if you used swift quiver you actually get 3 crossbow shots and 2 wolf attacks for an average damage of 56 + 30 sharpshooter + 9(or 15) hunter's mark for a conservative estimate of 95 damage, generous estimate of 101

I feel like that is balanced
>>
>>47662363
one really shouldnt have to break the rules to get a fucking bear. Maybe they should up the CR limits, or allow for more companions as the class progresses. 2 or 3 wolves would get pretty good.
>>
>>47662371
Can't concentrate on both swift quiver and hunters mark.
>>
>>47662384
Allowing multiple pets would be cool, I'd be down for that if a player asked, as long as their total CR isn't higher than the corresponding level on the regular druid wildshape table

It would still take an attack to make a beast attack, but on the bright side you can eventually forego your action entirely to make 2 attacks with each beast
>>
>>47662384
Or just ask the DM when he feels it's okay to have a Bear as a companion. Not all DMs are assholes or rules lawyers, especially if you're asking it for fluff reasons.
>>
>>47661074
Current character has a wyvern stolen from an evil NPC through trickery and selling him into slavery. Somehow I am Lawful Good.
>>
>>47662400
Right you are, that's a net damage loss of 9 for the final calculation, leaving average damage at 84, which is still respectable in my opinion

Allow a beast to increase in CR as per druid wildshape and you'd have a brown bear at that point (probably, I like brown bear), netting you +8 damage a turn for an average of 93

Hence why I wouldn't mind beast cr scaling, to a point
>>
>>47662450
Well the NPC was evil.
>>
>>47662424
Mercer did it, and as far as I'm concerned that man is the best DM
>>
>>47662456
The size limitation is pretty stupid though.
>>
>>47662468
There's the fact that those characters were converted from other system iirc, but that's a good example. This >>47662411 feels like quite a nice upgrade, definitely worth trying.
>>
wheres the homebrew dump? I thought it'd be in the Pastebin but I couldn't see it.
>>
File: 1465087287101.jpg (106KB, 601x534px) Image search: [Google]
1465087287101.jpg
106KB, 601x534px
>playing an Air Genasi fighter
>rogue keeps asking for a million gold pieces

I'M NOT A REAL FUCKING GENIE, JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>47662514
He probably isn't a genie-us is he?
>>
>>47662514
May I have three wishes? :^)
>>
>>47662514
OH FUCK GUYS ITS A GENIE
>>
>>47662514
That's hilarious

Coincidentally I had a character concept for an air genasi wild mage who can't actually cast spells, but instead is actually using a minor version of wish to simulate them, creating wild magic side effects
>>
Ok /5eg/, I want to build the hunter from bloodborne

He needs to be a 2 fast 4 u animu fighter that is proficient with a wide array of slashing weapons and firearms which he uses in tandem.
>>
>>47662643
Hunter ranger, Mobile feat
>>
>>47661074
What's everyone's opinion on variant humans?
>>
>>47662128
Sentinel is also good, also if you saw the new Unearthed Arcana the Spear Mastery can go well. Skulker can be great for Shadow Monks
>>
>>47662746
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a look.
>>
>>47662643
Depends exactly on how you want it to work.

Warlock (GOO) for someone skilled in Arcane.
Rogue for a Skill build.
Fighter for a Strength build.
For Bloodtinge... anyone I guess, just give 'em a gun.

Mobile regardless for maximum side-dash.
>>
>>47662929
Hunters mark and dual wield shortsword. Get the Dual-Wielder feat and they become longs words/rapiers.
>>
>>47661894
My abjurationist took toughness.

(Thatsthejoke.jpg?)

The DM did a spit take when I told him I had second most hp in the party next to the barbarian on a d6 class.

>>47661912
Explain?
>>
>>47661976
See if you can bet a cursed magic item off your DM. Ring that detects poison at wil, except it's keyed to say nay 90% of the time.

Alternatively work with your DM why a group would legitimately want lot poison you. Just because it's a phobia doesn't mean it ain't legit!

Otherwise eat only food you prepare, drink only water you have collected. Tell people you have dosed yourself with trace amounts of the worlds known poisons to develop immunity. iN fact it just caused brain damage and the phobia

React to gifts of food with suspicion and distrust.
>>
>>47662593
lol, now I'm gonna have to play an air genasi wild sorcerer.
His goal is to one day grant wishes like his pop.
>>
>Player wants me to include some furry shit monster. Let's call it Minocow.
>Gave him the ok, but warn him I'll modify it 'a bit'.
>"In front of you lies a monster bla bla bla, cow-like face, fat shape, no chests and her udders hanging between her legs"
>Party laughs, Player rants.

So /5eg/, what are your experiences at destroying silly requests like that? Alternatively, tell us that thing you asked and the DM destroyed.
>>
>>47662872
My go to.

Typically my best characters long term are inhuman brutes with a heart of gold, but my favourite characters are just humans helping out and supporting folks.
>>
>>47663126
DM told us it was high politics fantasy. Spend 2 years building alliances, wheeling dealing and being a big flamboyant bastard.

End campaign with all major NPC's leveled to twenty as fighters. Forced to kill them all despite an impassioned speech referencing discussions and debates held with them over the past two years and 40+ on the diplomacy check.

"lol you take 80 points of damage as you are stabbed in the back"

Cue my party mates leaping in, and obliterating everyone while I was hidden upstairs. (The ninja used a ring to bilocate us and his ungodly disguise skill to pretend to be me)
>>
>>47663183
We were lv 12 at this point. 2 years to lv 6 times
>>
>>47663183
This is why more people should have played Apocalypse Stone
>>
>>47663183
>The ninja used a ring to bilocate us and his ungodly disguise skill to pretend to be me

Anime as fuck.

I love it.
>>
>>47662872
I love them, finally party composition matches population density in most settings
>>
Where 3.5 ed rules?
>>
File: 1446852121521.png (559KB, 795x912px) Image search: [Google]
1446852121521.png
559KB, 795x912px
>>47662968
>also took toughness
>We have two paladins and two fighters in my party
>my rogue has almost half again as the highest of them
>MFW
>>
File: img.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
img.png
1MB, 852x854px
>The SRD is built in Microsoft Word and converted to a PDF.
>>
>>47663582
As long as is Printer-friendly, who cares.
>>
>when you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons you get a +2 to damage rolls with that weapon

So can I have a shield in the other hand and still get the bonus?
>>
>>47663663
Shields aren't weapons, so yes.

Otherwise that option would be next to worthless.
>>
So, just posted the same thing in the Pathfinder general, but it's worth asking here (assuming this is at least a more general D&D general).

If I wanted to play a game that feels the way D&D does between a certain level range, how would I do that? Are there any rules I can use to make D&D into a levelless, classless game?

Also I haven't played 5e at all and actually enjoyed 4e. Having abilities that changed the field and made combat dynamic was great, except for the part where it required a battle map
>>
>>47663999
This isn't a more general D&D general.
Anyway I don't really understand what you're asking. Sorry.
>>
>>47663999
>Are there any rules I can use to make D&D into a levelless, classless game?

Play something else.
>>
>Playing a battlemaster
>DM says I can homebrew better maneuvers to take at higher levels, cause otherwise you just end up with shit

what should a high level fighter be able to do?
>>
File: 1404349611208.gif (483KB, 207x154px) Image search: [Google]
1404349611208.gif
483KB, 207x154px
>>47662507
>>
File: 1465297149524.jpg (74KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
1465297149524.jpg
74KB, 640x448px
>>47661281

Expecting DnD to stop being shit is like expecting your cheating girlfriend to never do it again. Eventually, no matter how much they seem to progress, they fall into the same shitty mistakes as before. This is because the DnD developers are literal children who live in a safe space where DND is the only role-playing game in the world. As a result their design never progresses because they have nothing to compare it to. As long as the new edition "fixes" the issues of the previous they are free to reuse the older editions shitty ideas because they have no concept of why is actually wrong with their game
>>
>>47664126
Yeah, but 5e is still pretty good.
>>
>>47661281

I should add that bounded accuracy is a prime example. Due to the swing of the terrible d20 mechanic that DND insists on using, larger bonuses are actually necessary to keep the game moving. A +1 to hit is only a 5 percent difference. It is weak shit next to what feats should be providing, and is more narrowly focused than a Strength buff that produces the exact same result.

Sad. And here I thought Wizards was actually improving. But they are back in a ditch shutting themselves as always. Hopefully Mearls will get heart cancer soon and will die and Wizards of the Coast will replace him with a more competent developer, before 5e gets ruined completely.
>>
>>47664162

That's not an argument

It is finally using mechanics and design principles that the rest of the RPG world has been using from the past twenty years. It survives on name recognition alone. 5e is a safe, mediocre system that is touted as "good" in contrast to the other, absolutely terrible editions of the game (particularly ADnD 2nd) when in reality it has no new ideas, simply ideas that are new for DnD, which is like saying something is high tech for the fuck img Amish.
>>
>>47664229
Yeah, but 5e is still pretty good.
>>
Somebody supported the dark eye kickstarter and can share the pdf? i'd like to have a look at that.
>>
>>47664229
Ah, but you are forgetting: D&D is far and away the most-played RPG system. Ergo, most players are Amish, and so to most players, 5th Edition really is high tech.

And also it's still pretty good.
>>
>>47661370
notepad.exe
less file size = better
more pics and DIZUGN = more time to download
>>
>>47664126
>>47664181
>>47664229
> ITT: Armchair designers
>>
>>47664229
>That's not an argument

Nobody is trying to have an argument

Just saying it's still pretty good
>>
>>47663999
You may do what you want with Mutants and Masterminds 3e, but to be honest, it'd take a lot of work and it'd be just easier to play D&D.
>>
A stupid question.
When making a lvl 1 Warlock my starting equipment can be like this:
Light crossbow (20 bolts), arcane focus, dungeoneers pack, leather armor, any simple weapon and two daggers?

Does a warlock need a component pouch?
>>
>>47664181
>>47664229
Furthermore, if you dislike D&D 5e so much then why are you posting in the D&D 5e general?

Surely your time would be better spent finding (or making) a system that does whatever it is you want it to do better than 5e apparently does.
>>
>>47664633
I mean, sure, but 5e is still pretty good.
>>
>>47664633
>goes into threads just to chat shit about their topic
Get off your high horse
>>
>>47664614

> he actually thinks "discussion" should only be circlejerking about the game.
>>
>>47664633
How shall we fuck ourselves, O Lord?
>>
>>47664668

What high horse am I on? I made statements about your game that are true and your only response is "its still pretty good" when it's not. DnD was surpassed in game design years ago. There are better systems for less money that offer more freedom. Examples are Dungeon World , Castles and Crusades, FantasyCraft, and 13th Age. All of them do DnDs job (high fantasy) better than DnD itself.
>>
File: My life is empty and dark.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
My life is empty and dark.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
>>47664595
Yes, you can have that equipment

No, a Warlock does not need a component pouch as an arcane focus can be substituted for the material components of a spell. The advantage of a component pouch is that it only requires you have a hand free to reach it, whereas an arcane focus requires you to hold it in a hand to use it. The advantage of an arcane focus is that you can find improved, magical ones that have extra benefits and you also get to wave a staff or wand or crystal orb around like a POWERFUL WIZARD
>>
>>47664595
Yes, it can be. No, you don't need it. It an "either-or" situation, both the arcane focus and the component pouch provide the material components of any spell, unless those components are priced or consumed.
>>
>>47664661

I'll bite. Explain how it is "pretty good"
>>
>>47664721
Acting like you're not being like a child.
"your fun is badwrong, my fun is way better"
Just fuck off or start a new thread.
Also, the "pretty good" guy wasn't me.
for the record I think 5e is pretty good
>>
How comes that my 75 ft Moving agile Woodelf Monk has to spend 40ft. on standing up and a cumbsy Dwarf Warrior in Plate Armor only needs 15 ft. to stand up?
>>
>>47664721
Great, why don't you go talk about those games somewhere else then?

>>47664670
There's a difference between
>this system is so terrible for a bunch of half-assed reasons
>and yeah, uh... that's all I had to say
and discussion of the game.
>>
>>47664760
Something something amount of time taken to move that distance
>>
>>47664745
Good for having a fun time with friends, easy to make characters quite quickly, the rules (and combat in particular) are fairly simple and commonsense and don't step on the DM's toes, the classes are pretty balanced compared to previous editions with a slight advantage to caster classes (as usual) balanced by the fact caster classes take more paperwork and planning - it makes it a very easy system to get new players into and a nice, reliable fallback. It's the 'can't-go-wrong martial class that keeps chugging away' of RPG systems and is a good choice for pretending to explore DUNGEONS and fight DRAGONS.

Also, d20 is a good system, because its 'swinginess' is in fact its advantage. It allows you to resolve binary issues easily, simply and with no fuss compared to, off the top of my head, the narrative dice of FFG's Star Wars - which, having run the games, are good in their own way but have a very different feel and flow of play to them, and stop the game just that bit longer to work out how to resolve them. My main peeve with such narrative dice is that in some circumstances it's the dice ordering the GM around, as when the player gets a bunch of Advantage or Disadvantage on an otherwise mundane roll and they don't know what to do with them.
>>
>>47664755

You have the right to play whatever shit tier system you want to. I'm simply explaining flaws in your system. If you can't handle that, too bad. Other people have opinions and assertions to back up those opinions. Deal with it.
>>
>>47665014
>Deal with it.
Only if you deal with people thinking 5e is still pretty good.
>>
>>47665014
>flaws in your system
>t. I play gurps and think the average player is interested in running a game with 20 splatbooks and quadratic equations

Also 5E is pretty good tbqdesu
>>
>>47665014
Alright, that's cool, your opinion is noted

Bye now
>>
>>47665014
Alright man, that's fine and dandy, I appreciate that you take the time out of your busy schedule to tell us we're having badwrongfun

5e is still pretty good
>>
Where's BOEF for 5ed?
>>
>>47664898

> FFG Star Wars is the only other system in existence

Holy shit, casual hipster spotted.

The issue with d20 is a 20 Str barbarian can fail to bash down a door that a cat can bash down 30 percent of the time.

That does not happen in a system with an actually balanced dice mechanic

And those other systems I mentioned? They are just as good,if not BETTER,for having fun with friends. In fact, they are better. Go check out Dungeon World, you'll see what I'm talking about.
>>
>>47661370
Latex
>>
Hey anons, I have a question

Could a conjuration school wizard conjure his arcane focus?

Part of me says yes because it makes sense that an arcane focus is a mundane item used to channel magical energies

Part of me says no because an arcane focus could be considered magical if one were so inclined

How would you rule on this? My heart says mundane and therefore conjurable
>>
>>47665115
What's that anon?
>>
>>47665133
Cool, go post in the Dungeon World general
>>
>>47665054

> implying GURPS and 3.x are the only other systems that exist

Holy shit, no wonder you play 5e. Wake up, shithead, there are literally THOUSANDS of other systems out there. But you are content to sit in a pile of raw shit.

Like I said, try Dungeon World, you see what you've been missing out on.
>>
>>47665203
Some nice variant rules for your adventures, released for 3.5 at least 10 years ago.
>>
>>47665225
See
>>47665219
>>
>>47661673
i would let a player use this with no charisma roll at all if he said it fast enough
>>
>>47665225
>>47665263
There is no need to be this mad

You're not gonna change our minds about 5e being pretty good so maybe you should just stop before you do some serious damage to your circulatory system
>>
>>47665269
Oh, sounds neat, time for some googling
>>
>>47665263
We're trying t have a general discussion about 5e, while your just trying to get us to justify mechanics that you see as flaws. We're on topic, while your just being a dick.

5e is pretty good, if you ask me
>>
>>47665269
>>47665349
Goodness anon! That's too lewd!

I'm gonna convert the shit out of this
>>
>>47665403
>you should not be allowed to play 5e when there are objectively better systems out there.
But 5e is still pretty good so it's fine.
>>
>>47665403
>You're a close-minded piece of shit.
...says the man who shows up just to yell at people that they're not allowed to enjoy things.

Surely winning hearts and minds, man, good job.
>>
>>47665403
But 5e is pretty good
>>
File: vt7yc1x.jpg (100KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
vt7yc1x.jpg
100KB, 612x792px
>>47665403
Here anon, try this book

I hear it's pretty good
>>
>>47665419
I'm gonna wait for the new Spells then.

And maybe you can brew the Holding Hands Spell.
>>
>>47665403
But famalamadingdong, I want to play 5e

I have only ever played 3 sessions of 4e and some pathfinder
>>
>>47665504
You sick fuck

you can bet your ass
>>
>>47665537
I've DM'd a few sessions

It's pretty good
>>
>>47665548
Some sick people already did it for their game.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hold_Hands_(move)
>>
>>47665568
Seems fine to me. I want to play a bard because I'm a huge faggot
>>
>>47665403
You wound me anon

It feels pretty good
>>
>>47665606
>Because otherwise there is literally NO REASON TO PLAY IT.
Reason to play it: it's pretty good.
>>
>>47665596
So instead of using Persuasion on the barmaids you'll use it on that Orcish Tavern Champ?
>>
>>47665619
No
Gonna hold hands with the cute barmaids for forbidden love maximum lewdness
>>
>>47665537

Try playing some games that aren't DnD (pathfinder is the same as DnD) . For example, try Dungeon World. Its a much better game than 5e.
>>
File: mlady.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>47665627
>DnD fanboys are on the same scale as religious zealots. Shock therapy is required .
>>
>>47661894
WHAT ARE BIRRRDS?
WE JUST DON'T KNOW
>>
>>47665612

Give a reason why it's pretty good without forming a meaningless tautology, faggot.
>>
>>47665651
I dunno, from everything I've heard from this thread...

5e is pretty good
>>
>>47665588
Holy shit! Children play those games!!!

What's next!?

kissing on the cheek? Running fingers through hair?? Long walks on the beach??? ????
>>
>>47665606
Sure. 5e has attracts a lot of players because it's widely available, ubiquitous with fantasy adventures, and pretty good.

Having lots of players means it is easy to find a game or bring one together.
>>
>>47665671

I am laughing so hard at this /b/ tier memeing. DnD players truly are cancer, they need to be gassed like the jews. I bet you think you're so clever, dont you, you little fucking piece of shit?
>>
>>47665606
As much as I'm enjoying tormenting you with the others, allow me to explain something.

It doesn't do anything that no other RPG does. The setting is generic, the game is riddled with it's own traditions, the rules are simple and still being revised with errata and playtesing for future expansions, and WotC is just trying to make money from us.

But you don't play a game only if it's unique or superior to other, you play it because you enjoy it. It's very likely most of the people responding to you also play the other games you've mentioned (I'm a fan of Burning Wheel myself). Those games also have their problems or don't scratch certain itches for some players, and that's fine too. We play other games and wee're not trying to get you to play 5e. (I'd rather not play with you, based on your attitude) 5e is not the best RPG, but we enjoy playing it none-the-less.

But to answer your question more simply, we like 5e because it's pretty good.
>>
>>47665651
>DungeonWorld
You mean the OSR hack of PbtA?

If you want to try something D&D but different at least do like FATE Freeport.
>>
>>47665665
Honestly my very favorite aspect of the game is how absolutely MAD it makes you

That, plus it being pretty good of course
>>
>>47665693

Dungeon World fits all of those criteria. You are literally saying you play DnD just because it's popular.

Twilight is popular. Fifty Shades of Gray is popular. Popular != good, fuckboy.
>>
>>47665677
Could you believe they translated 'Frolic' into 'Play Rough' last gen?

Japan is full of shit. I can only imagine what kind of things a Lodoss Setting book could do to D&D.
>>
>>47665711
But I don't play D&D
I just think 5e looks fun.
>>
>>47665711
Not that anon, but he's pretty clever
>>
>>47661074
Yes, I have Summon Mount.
>>
>>47665736
Dungeon World is not as well known as DnD, meaning it is harder t find enough players to run the game.

Dungeon World may be great, but I can't play it with the people in my town.

I can, however, get a group to play 5e and its pretty good
>>
>>47665651
>sincerely shilling for Dungeon World
I have played WoD, Shadowrun, LUG Trek, a one shot of Mini6, Risus, Fate.
I'd rather stick to playing 5E forever (which I hear is pretty good) than touch Dungeon World because it's the opposite of what I want half the time.
>>
>>47665789

Then introduce them to it you spineless faggot. Ever heard of being a man and taking initiative? Instead you are content to wallow in your shithead of a game fellating the dripping tires of its shitty rules and recommending it to others.

Just switch to Dungeon World. You literally admitted it is better.
>>
>>47665793
I pirated all the books.

How much are the Dungeon World devs paying you to shill their dead game?
>>
>>47665793
Thanks for (You), I'm carving another notch into my keyboard. Bonus point for resorting to the cuckold insult

I hope you have a pretty good day
>>
>>47665822
Why would I want to introduce a brand new system instead of just playing one that is pretty good?

Are you projecting anon? Did your group refuse to play DW? You should have told them it was pretty good
>>
>>47665802
>I'd rather stick to playing 5E forever (which I hear is pretty good) than touch Dungeon World because it's the opposite of what I want half the time.

Then what you want is wrong. You stick t the safety and familiarity of AnD because you are too poor of a roleplayer to be effective at a real rpg (keep in mind DnD is and always will be a wargame) and for that I truly pity you.

Pathetic.
>>
>>47665736
If I find a game system that is 1000% better than D&D but I can entice 0% as many people to actually play it, I would rather play D&D.

I've tried to get people to play DW, FATE, SW, LotFP, and various forgey hipster artisanal indie games, and find that they're reluctant to try them and find them unsatisfying for their swords & sorcery fantasy RPG needs. So on those grounds, these D&D alternatives are inferior.

In short, pretty good RPG is better than bad RPG, which is better than no RPG, which is probably better than your whore mother.
>>
>>47665822
Never said it was better, just that it was great. I'm only using the phrase "5e is pretty good" because people raging about memes fuels me.

Both games have their merits, and I came to this thread to discuss the merits of 5e.the main one being that it's pretty good
>>
>>47665868
Literally this.
If other people don't want to play other systems then I might as well enjoy D&D
>>
>>47665741
Stop giving me ideas anon, I write too much homebrew as it is
>>
>>47665736
DW fills exactly none of those criteria. It's unheard of, barely played, is based on a system that purposely works against team dynamics to push a story, and it's only shining light is the free SRD.

On the other hand, 5e is breddy gud and the most popular system in the world.
>>
So... we agree that 5e is pretty good then?
>>
>>47666556
Seems to be the case
>>
>>47660081
yo I went to sleep. Its not that you could switch your stats up and be good... I would just build a bard tank differently. But I stand by whip tank being probably your best option at this point. Could be really fun too.
>>
>>47666583
Cool, so what's everybody homebrewing?

I'm working on a Weapon/Style Expert Fighter archetype that builds a list of combat tricks to form their preferred fighting style. Sort of like a Battle Master except you get weapon specific tricks rather than more broad maneuvers.
>>
>>47661370
all the other answers are retarded
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>>
>>47665975
well its not NOT good
its simple and they're slowly adding more options, they've got rules laid out for MOST of what you would want to do in old editions
the real problem is, the shit they're slowly adding in sourcebooks, are really just filler pages in large adventure books, and things that are added "fast" with unearthed arcana, are a hot mess of balance and forgetting shit

their only sourcebook SCAG, is 103 pages before anything new is added, everything before it is setting
>>
File: tumblr_nkogwnHbL71s8pkxxo1_400.gif (685KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkogwnHbL71s8pkxxo1_400.gif
685KB, 320x180px
>>47666556
Pretty... Good?

One of the guys in my game is having REAL trouble understanding that wielding a shield makes it harder to swap from swishing his sword to waggling his wand and back turn on turn. I would handwave it, but I don't want to be rude to the guy who's gone without a shield this whole time because he understands the object interaction rules.
What do you think the best solution is? I'm thinking if I drop a cool great sword he'll happily abandon his shield and then this is over without more unfun nitpicking - thoughts?
>>
>>47666717
>What do you think the best solution is?
Explain to the guy who has forgone a shield so far that you're not too worried about the object interaction stuff in regards to switching weapons and that he can use one like the other guy in the future. That's what I'd do, anyway.
>>
>>47666717
is it an actual wand he's blasting with, or a focus?
i personally let all focuses share the rules of cleric holy symbol, and even am pretty lax with that.

if its a wand he's blasting with, then just explain it as the same as using a crossbow
he cant swing a sword, fire one bolt of a crossbow, switch back to the sword, and still use a shield defensively
>>
>>47666684
>book of feats
>1/3 ki fighter and rogue
>some... other things
>>
>>47666717
i'd do the opposite of >>47666784 and just tell him sorry m8 in this instance rules are rules. i'm a let them do DM but its not fair to other people to just let you break rules that other people follow, especially without a discussion about them first.

instead of dropping him an awesome two handed sword, drop him a shield that lets him hold a wand in it or some shit.
>>
>>47666717
The great sword sounds fair, switching from shield-and-sword t using a wand is just a silly idea so encouraging him to change fighting styles would be a good idea.

If you're looking for a more creative solution, I've considered the idea of a special magical sword with a hollow space in it that a wand can be stored in and used without switching hands, though using the wand and attacking with the sword are both actions on their own. It's a neat idea and can be fun, and as GM it's a far simpler form of handwavium.
>>
>>47666795
>some... other things

Your ellipsis intrigues me. Go on.
>>
File: xenoblade-novelisation-002-reyn.png (637KB, 847x465px) Image search: [Google]
xenoblade-novelisation-002-reyn.png
637KB, 847x465px
>>47666818
>a shield with slots in it to stow and fire wands
>having a shield that can fire attacks
>i dont know if i should post a monster hunter picture, or xenoblade chronicles picture
>>
>>47666895
or maybe...a wand that just... IS a shield
>>
Don't lie to me.
Don't try to hide.
How animu is your character, campaign or group ?
Did some other player realize it already ?
>>
>>47666684
Had a quick go of adapting the Shadar Kai as a race.
I don't have it to hand, but it's something like

30ft speed, 60ft darkvision, medium size, age and height same as human
+2 DEX, +1 INT
Shadow Step - Can use misty step one time, short or long rest before you can do it again.
Shadow Origin - Resistance to necrotic damage, advantage on saves against being frightened.
Winterkin - Your connection to death gives you a +2 bonus to death saving throws. Increased to +3 at level 9, and +4 at level 17.
Weapon Training - Gain proficiency with short swords, whips, and nets
Armour Training - Gain proficiency with light armour.

What do you guys think? Missed anything obvious? Balanced OK?
>>
How well does a devotion oath paladin stack up to against a battlemaster fighter? Thinking of making a paladin, but we already have a fighter so I want to know if i'd feel redundant or what.
>>
>>47667361
My barbarian is kind of animu. He's less RAWR SMASH and more intense battle focus/meditation, and he just likes finding fun fights and in general being a hero. But he's not very weeb, when I usually make super weeb characters. My 4e fighter is massive weeb though.
>>
File: y96B9Uu.png (1MB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
y96B9Uu.png
1MB, 1700x2200px
>>47667458
i don't understand your question but if you don't feel the calling to be a paladin, don't roll a paladin. you don't choose it, it chooses you.
>>
>>47665225
I just read the Dungeon World handbook. It seems alright. I'm not exactly sure how you think it's better, or even the same kind of game as D&D, though. Almost everything in Dungeon World is GM fiat and focused on narrative.

Also, if I understand it correctly, everybody just lands attacks half the time, and when you run out of Hit Points, you need to roll 10+ to survive, or suck the GM's dick or die on a 7-9.

I mean, if I were the GM, I'd think it's pretty awesome.

Also, there's no Monks. What is this, the 70s?
>>
>>47667637
Mostly i'm wondering if i'm just gonna be redundant or second fiddle to a two handed weapon/polearm focused battlemaster fighter as a paladin.
>>
>>47667641
>Also, there's no Monks. What is this, the 70s?
Monks showed up in 1975 via the Blackmoor supplement for OD&D.
>>
What the hell do you people mean with character's being "Anime"?
>>
>>47667652
Paladin fills a slightly different party role. Just don't be a second greatweapon/polearm melee if the fighter's going to be one.

You have buff spells and smites, the fighter has his maneuvers.
>>
>>47667652
then if you mean "am i going to do as much damage as him" no
but you get alot more support then he does
none of the oaths are amazing imo, ancients is my favorite
but you're not rolling pally for the oaths, its the amazing base class abilities, and you can smite out the ass if you really need damage

also you can goose people on the butt to heal them
>>
>>47666684
Brewing up what amounts to an alternate Basic Rules set to fit my setting. Less darkvision, small set of classes available, lots of refluff of the monsters (I don't need Gnolls, Orcs, and Hobgoblins to be separate, for example), certain spells are removed or significantly changed (particularly stuff like Cure Disease and Remove Curse), most of the PHB feats make the cut, but not all of them, prices are in sp instead of gp, that kind of stuff.
>>
>>47667702
>>47667733
Maybe i'll just make him sword and board and play him as more defensive then, a frontline who's harder to take down.
>>
>>47666880
Patience anon, it's a surprise
>>
>>47665955
Will anyone ever use them ?
>>
>>47667777
devotion is great for that, at lower levels you're going to be doing more damage than him with sacred weapon smites
dont feel the need to play defensive even if you use a shield
having one equipped doesn't mean you need to take protection sentinel and spend your turns lay on handsing the fighter, it just means you're harder to hit and do slightly less damage

no matter what though, you ARE going to be harder to take down that him, by a big margin
>>
>>47667652
Be a sword&board tank. Take Defense or Protection fighting style. Have smites, lay on hands, and spells.

It'll be very different, don't worry. And it's always good to have two frontliners so that enemies can't just bypass the fighter and get to the squishies too easily.
>>
>>47666684
Fuckbunch of things. Mostly a volcanic magitek themed setting and associated materials.

Also a History Monk archetype a la Thief of Time.
>>
>>47667904
>>47667934
My big idea is to take dueling fighting style for +2 damage and shield master maybe, or probably sentinel or alert.

Get in there in the thick of things, play hard as fuck to kill with plate armor and shield, keep things from getting away cleanly,
>>
>>47667407
Just give straight advantage to death saves.
>>
>>47666715
Nah, it's pretty good. You're just being sour grapes, senpai.
>>
>>47667874
I know at least one person liked my machinist and a couple like my brawler

The reaver, mage slayer and Ravenloft dark powers checks I don't think so

But still, I enjoy writing them
>>
Can we agree 5e is home brew edition?

The math and ease of brewing makes for DMs being more willing to try things.
>>
>>47667777
The paladin in my game had a very badass moment last session, surrounded by zombies in literally all directions, yet they couldn't hit him at all, while he destroyed them one at a time. They got maybe one or two hits on him, and even then he took maybe 6 damage total.

Warlock and bard just hid behind a Cloud of Daggers the whole time. And my swashbuckler was trying to duel with a Flame Skull.
>>
>>47668068
I can agree with that. Archetypes especially make stuff easy to brew, since you only have to come up with a few class features and have 2-8 other archetypes of that class to compare them to.
>>
>>47668068
On that we agree, I would have never tried brewing on 3.PF or 4, but some of the best stuff I have in my folder is homebrewed by Walrock, Middle Finger of Vecna or random ledditors
>>
>>47668019
nah m8, i like it
i just wish the additional books were more varied, 4/5 of them are 200 pages of setting, and 20 pages of new items/classes/monsters
>>
>>47668068
Homebrew is a complete disaster in 3rd and 4e, so I guess this one has to be, really.
>>
>>47668106
Sounds like fun. I think i'll just go sword and board with sentinel and try to just be a hard cunt to take down.
>>
I'm writing a setting for a 5th edition campaign.

Humans are the only playable race, Magic is outlawed in many places and considered dangerous by all commoners.

With these things alone, can you point out anything that I should look out for?

Any advice for running a game where someone might get arrested for Witchcraft?
>>
>>47668068
Yes. Homebrew is as good as we ever had. I kinda wonder why there's no "Homebrewed Stuff" in the pastebin yet, with sites to look for or a list of what was submitted here.
>>
File: 85bj0u06.jpg (32KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
85bj0u06.jpg
32KB, 285x285px
>>47666684
i'm still working on making a warlock and a sorcerer that were more like the playtest but idk why
and doing what this anon is doing in a way >>47667758
>>
>>47668556
How do you control magic practitioners, let alone lock them down?

Who are in power and why?

What happened to the other races? Are they simply not playable or are they gone? How do human survive facing creatures that are physically so much stronger than them without relying magic?

Are all forms of magic banned or just some? If so, how can people differentiate between those?
>>
>>47668035
Out of curiosity, where are these homebrews located?
>>
>>47668672
In my laptop at home, i'm not home unfortunately
>>
>>47668787
Unfortunate indeed, all of those sounded sublime. Especially mageslayer.
>>
File: Machinist.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Machinist.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>47668672
I happen to have the Machinist one, haven't had a chance to read it in detail, but it looked fun so I saved it
>>
how powerfull character get in 5e compared to 3.PF?
>>
>>47668903
Hey, there it is, thanks for saving that

I'll post the others if I don't get home too late
>>
>>47668672
I actually save both the reaver and the mage slayer, since they seemed interesting.
>>
>>47668672
>>47669030
>>
>>47668824
Mageslayer is a ranger archetype, whole thing is based around shutting down casters, I'm doing a rewrite because I messed uo the lv11 ability, created a complex mechanic when a simple spell would have been enough
>>
I've pitched 3 separate ideas for the next campaign I run. Each player told me their first and second choices of the three I gave them, and each seemed to express some excitement over at least one of the ideas.

Tallying it up, each idea has an equal amount of first and second choice votes.

As DM, I have no preference. Each side has its bonuses and maluses that make me like each idea roughly the same (I have a favorite, but it routinely changes.

So what are some fun ways to moderate the democratic process between my players? I want them to pick one of the three, though I have also offered to consider any ideas they pitch.
>>
>>47668934
5e end game is high fantasy
pf early game is weeabo fightan
>>
>>47669030
>>47669047
There they are, thanks anon! Mage slayer level 11 should just be having access to counterspell and the ability to cast it without expending a slot once per short or long rest
>>
>>47668556
First thing I'd do would be to get a handle on what magic is actually available to the outlawed practitioners. Are they getting two spells of their choice per class level like in the PHB? Do they have access to "fuck you, peasant mob" spells that would let them scoff the laws?

I'd lean towards something like limiting spellcasting to a Paladin class that exercises legal and respectable church-and-state-sanctioned magic. Have them bound to a lawful (good, evil, whatever level of edge you're interested in) organization that comes down like a hammer on members that abuse their power. Limit "arcane/illegal" spellcasting to a modified Wizard class that requires books to learn potent spells or crazy amounts of research and investment to develop new spells. Establish giftshranks scattered throughout the setting where an intrepid arcanist might find a treasure trove of forbidden lore. Develop several highly-specific spells of limited general utility that were developed by crazy outlaw hermit-wizards of the past, like a 1st level spell that causes a target's hair to grow at an alarming rate or that causes an animal to lick itself uncontrollably. Scatter these weird not-so-great spells in with treasure whenever the players defeat a spellcaster, for their own outlaw wizard to hoard for himself.
>>
>>47669141
Thank you so much, I didn't know there were any good homebrews out there
>>
>>47669185
>good homebrews
ayyyyyyyy
>>
>>47669185
You f latter ing g en t
>>
>>47662371
You can't make two crossbow shots with your Swift Quiver bonus action without Crossbow Expert, only one. If you don't want to take XbowX for the build, then maybe try the damage calculation with a longbow?
>>
>>47669280
*tips non-fedora wizard hat*
>>
are the any must have house rules ?
>>
>>47669185
If you go to DMs guild, you can get the Path of the Giant for Barbarians for pay-what-you-want! Shameless self-plugging!
>>
>>47669185
Shameless plug for the Paladin Oath I devised and tweaked with a ton of input from the fine folks here.
>>
>>47669305
I misread swift quiver, thought it reloaded the heavy crossbow for you, with a longbow total DPR goes down by 3
>>
>>47669337
*unzips pant*
>>
>>47665054

>t. I play gurps and think the average player is interested in running a game with 20 splatbooks and quadratic equations

Different person, but this is an old meme. GURPS isn't my favorite system by a longshot, but I've had to play it for a few years, since it's popular in my group, and the reputation it has isn't really accurate anymore.

The math thing was true back in 3E, which vehicles being the most egregious and painful thing. GURPS is actually a simple system though at its core. All of those books exist for it, but you won't use more than one or two for a campaign, and 90% of the complexity the system is known for is frontloaded in character creation. Actually playing, it's really good at keeping pretty much everything centered around a few core mechanics.

It's not like Shadowrun or something, where you need to stop regularly to hunt down some obscure subsystem. Print off a combat maneuver cheatsheet, and almost everything else you need to know is

1. Look at sheet to find skill
2. Roll 3d6 and try to get under.

For the record I think 5e is pretty good.
>>
>>47669280
Actually, I may need your help with something else.

I'm GMing a game of 5e and I'm making my players demigods in order to defeat Entropy (or at least keep him the fuck away until more heroes show up.) But in order to do that, I've decided that each player is going to have a 1v1 session, like a cross between the Memories in Dark Souls II and hallucinations from having divinity surgically inserted into your soul by the God of Greed. Each of these sessions is meant to define who their character is and test them before they get all their level 20 skills and Epic Boons.

Now, for two characters (the high elven wizard who almost became a lich and the drow rogue who's just as chaotic evil as you'd expect) their individual sessions have been really easy to plan.

The rogue is going to kill off the Sin Demons in his head and have his divinity 'fail' only to become a born-again CG Huckster after being killed by a demon that made a 'I'll resurrect your ass for free if you change alignments' deal with him, if you're curious.

However, the other two characters (a halfling ranger and half-elf paladin, a couple out of game and sort of fuckbuddies ing game) are more difficult for me.

How the hell am I supposed to test this setting's first paladin and a player (the ranger) who've never really spoken out much?
>>
how deadly is 5e?
>>
>>47665868

>I've tried to get people to play DW, FATE, SW, LotFP, and various forgey hipster artisanal indie games, and find that they're reluctant to try them

People should stop being so hesitant to try something new for once. You agree to do a one-shot of a campaign, and if you hate it, so what? It's four hours of your life, max.
>>
>>47669556
at low levels its deadly, after that it tapers off.
>>
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3483-Print-Products-by-Edition-3E-4E-Pathfinder-5E-with-pretty-charts!#.V1dmUOYrKUk

This is a pretty interesting comparison of just how slow the 5e release rate has been compared to the two editions before it.
>>
>>47662371
>>47669305
What you described but assuming the ranger indeed has the crossbow expert feat and ignoring Hunter's Mark considering the ranger is concentrating on Swift Quiver:

Standard Action = Command Wolf (Attack*2) + Attack (the ranger makes an attack when he commands his beast to attack as an action)
>Wolf Bite: 7 (average) + 6 (ranger's proficiency bonus) = 13 damage
>Wolf Bite: 7 (MM's provided average) + 6 (ranger's proficiency bonus) = 13 damage
>Heavy Crossbow Power Attack: 5.5 (actual 1d10 mean) + 5 (dex modifier assuming lvl 20 ranger has 20 dexterity) + 10 (sharpshooter power attack bonus)
Total damage inflicted during the Standard Action: [2(13)] + [5.5+5+10] = 46.5

Bonus Action = Swift Quiver (Attack*2)
>Heavy Crossbow Power Attack: 5.5 (actual 1d10 mean) + 5 (dex modifier) + 10 (power attack)
>Heavy Crossbow Power Attack: 5.5 (actual 1d10 mean) + 5 (dex modifier) + 10 (power attack)
Total damage inflicted during the Bonus Action: 2( 5.5 + 5 + 10 ) = 2(20.5) = 41

Total damage inflicted during turn: 46.5 + 41 = 87.5

Higher than you suggested >>47662456 here, not sure why your calculation is lower. Anyway, ranger gets 5 ASIs/Feats and, minmaxing, starts at 17 dexterity: three of the ASIs need to be dedicated to increasing Dex to 20, leaving us with the last two to take Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert. This leaves Wisdom at 16 (assuming minmax), which is okay considering we aren't using any Save spells.

But the Ranger needs to be level 19 to do this. It's a tough call to take Sharpshooter before maxing Dex. How would you go about this, BiF? Would you max dex first, using the longbow for the majority of the game, take sharpshooter at 16, and crossbow expert at level 19, where you then switch out the longbow to a heavy crossbow?
>>
Ok so are there any new Monk options outside the Sword Coast thing? Thank you.
>>
>>47669723
Official ones? No. You'll have to go to homebrew, try searching DMs Guild or something.
>>
>>47669372
Meh, I'll just post it here.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on it. so far you've made me 56 cents

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/184435/Path-of-the-Giant
>>
is there a good alternative to death saving throws?
>>
>>47669764
It depends on your problem with death saving throws.
>>
>>47669764
Define "good." We can't recommend something to suit your tastes if your tastes only consist of "I don't like [thing]."
>>
>>47669556
Can be pretty deadly at level one, eases off a bit as you level up, but there's still a small threat.
As long as your group is smart and looks out for each other (and has a couple of heal spells), you'll probably not lose anyone.
We've lost three characters in about 5 months of low level play, one session a week.
>>
>>47669755
Well... I'm trying to post it but everyt ime I do I either press post without actually adding the file or it stops loading at 13%
>>
>>47669533
Do they have any motivation for doing what they do?

I wanna say have them fight evil versions of eachother but that feels like a cliche
>>
>>47669533
Maybe have the ranger be tracking some kind of creature as a hunt or to stop some bigger plot from happening. Have it be like MGS 3 where they're in a hostile environment alone and have to use their surroundings for cover and survival as they make their way towards what they're after.

The paladin could just be on a one person war against enemies of their god or their oath. It's a suicidal mission and they know it but that's all they have left to live for
>>
>>47669556
Only PC deaths I've seen were to a mind flayer and wheel skeletons
>>
>>47669533
What are the Ranger's favored enemies?

I guess you can test the Paladin not by fighting, but offering him/her/it something way too good that clashes with the tenets it should follow.
>>
>>47669702
That really depends on how you're going about the minmaxing

A variant human can start out with sharpshooter and 16's in both dex and wis, 2 ASI's to get 20 dex puts him at lv 8

A ghostwise halfling can start with 16 dex and get to 20 with sharpshooter by lv12, with 2 ASI's to go

Either way I would just skip crossbow expert, it's minimal difference in DPR
>>
>>47669764
Look up the angry dm's fighting spirit rules, they're interesting, if a bit forgiving
>>
File: 1462171994895.jpg (18KB, 270x320px)
1462171994895.jpg
18KB, 270x320px
>never played D&D 5E
>flicking through the monster manual
>tarrasque only has five more AC than a dude in platemail with a shield

I feel like im missing something here
>>
>>47661074
My paladin has a triceratops and my druid has an owlbear
>>
>>47670170
bonded accuracy
>>
>>47670170
>appear to be female
you cheeky git
>>
>>47670170
Five more AC is a shiton. You do realize the max you can roll is a Twenty on the Die?
>>
Rhyming wizard bard from yesterday here.
Unfortunately, I died.
And this being my second time dying, Linden Fraane the wizard is dead for good.
Fucking rogues.

So I'm going for my salty old sea dog bladelock with a harpoon.
Any name suggestions?
He's human, and fifty three years old.
>>
>>47670229
Ahab.

He sold his soul to a fiend to help him find the white whale.
>>
>>
>>47670229
haddock
>>
>>47669351
the paladin cant summon a fucking kraken as a mount is a pretty good one
>>
>>47670237
There we go
>>
>>47670229

Why are you even asking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3EAUDcZrN8
>>
>>47669904
Pally is playing this game for the strategy of running a fantasy army, a la Chainmail or WHFB. Currently is the king of the last surviving civilization on his continent.
Ranger is here because she likes immersing herself in a character.
>>47669985
Don't think she has any, we've been playing fast and loose with the rules.

>>47669907
This is an awesome first start, but I also want to force these two bond as players without knowing that the other person was there till the last second. Very interesting.
>>
>>47669769
>>47669801
>>47669857
something like early edition taking blow leaved you in negative numbers, iirc you cant take a huge attack but no matter how strong the attack you have the saving throws
>>
>>47670236
Not quite.
He's GOO, tied with a primordial sea entity. Not entirely his choice in the matter, he hears whispers from the deep that are pointing him to do shit after a naval "accident" that killed all his friends.
Said accident was the same GOO he's stuck with.
>>
>>47670170
In 5ed everything looks weaker, but so are the PCs, and the Tarrasque has so many resistances and immunities it's not even funny.

Compare that to 3.5, where Wizards could take the Tarrasque down with the infamous Acid Arrow spam thingie, and Godzilla ripoff looks stronger.
>>
Rolling up a heavy crossbow using level 3 EK. Other than Shield, what spells and cantrips should I consider picking up?
>>
>>47670327
Invisibility
Fly
Fireball
Acid Splash

>>47670319
Acid Splash Spam Thingie?
>>
>>47670319
i'm pretty sure you can still cheese the tarrasque, due to lack of ranged attacks and no regeneration
>>
>>47670327
find familiar, booming blade, minor illusion, light, friends, absorb elements, feather fall, mage armor, protection from good and evil, silent image, unseen servant, tenser's floating disk, tasha's hideous laughter.

some of those probably.
>>
>>47670401
Oh god, really? i'm a flying creature with a magic bow with unlimited arrows. I can be the legendary tarrasque slayer?
>>
anyone got a homebrew thats pure mage? broke af brew allowed.
>>
>>47670398
Basically, you can defeat the 3.5 Tarrasque by spamming Melf's Acid Arrow to overcome his regeneration.
>>47670401
Maybe, I didn't powergame this edition to know the answer, but he looks way more solid on the defensive end, not to mention the legendary action that allows him to chomp and swallow on the same turn looks like an anti-cheese mechanic for the DM.
>>
>>47670475
shit. should have mentioned 5th edition.
>>
>>47670284
Maybe make them both be after the same thing/creature/etc. In the 1v1 session you could have the player come across the aftermath of an encounter that the other player had. This will show them that they aren't alone and that something is hunting the same thing they are. Then at the end throw them together and have them be like "it looks like we're after the same shithead, let's kick their ass together"
>>
>>47669388
i like it, its not massively op, and it fits well in line with other oaths (other than being logically more evil oriented)
i like the capstone final form but all of the ingame ones give a visual effect (more/less light, nature form, or wings) so you need to add something visual. you might also need to say where the hit dice come from, and what size they are. a wizard spending a few of his own daily pool of d6 is different than a barbarian spending free d12's gained by that ability
also, torches are pretty fucking bright, a 20 foot radius of bright then 20 more of dim. just making sure you want it actually that bright. candle might be more suited, but thats just my opinion

also this is just wanting clarification for myself, but "do not source their power from your master" just means "if they dm said it does" since various demons work for various people, and not all things working for a demon need to be logical (dark lords need bankers too dont ya know)

honestly though, my favorite part is that its not overtly evil, even though the master most likely is. similar to how warlocks arnt "evil"
>>
>>47670290
If you take enough damage to put you in a negative number equal to your maximum HP, you die instantly. So for example, if your max HP is 15 and you take 30 damage from a single hit at full health, or if you're at 3 HP and take 18 or more damage.
>>
>>47670520
...you goddamned GENIUS! I'll be going off to write now.
>>
>>47670466
Birdmen Warlocks make the best tarrasque slayers.
>>
>>47670170
Armor and natural armor aren't supposed to be far off from each other anymore.
>>
>>47670835
Zendikar vampires with greater invisibility are the best tarrasque slayers
>climb on tarrasque
>bite, move, repeat
>tarrasque heals piercing damage but not hp loss
>dies
>enjoy your new null-tarrasque
>>
>>47670521
Thanks for the kind words. I do agree with your suggestion of candle light and will update it.

I actually hope that my player's alignment rubs off on the fiend so I can write a redemption arc for her and modify this to "Oath of the Redeemed Fiend." with similar, yet different abilities.
>>
How would you stat a gorilla? I'd like to have them in my game at some point, but there's no block for them in either the PHB or MM.

I'm thinking
STR16 DEX12 CON12 INT3 WIS 10 CHA2
AC14
But I don't know about the rest, any suggestions?
>>
File: Dark Souls.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dark Souls.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Dark Souls 5e guy here. It's been a while since I've worked on this, but over the last day or so I've gone through it and cleaned it, converted to open fonts, finished up some of the unfinished stuff I had to complete, and rebalanced some of the weirder spellse.

So, /5eg/: What kind of other stuff would you like to see in this? Specifically: what types of spells, mechanics, and monsters would you like rules or advice for running a Souls-esque game?
>>
>>47670943
technically, only works on humanoids. But I'd homebrew an uncontrollable zombie tarrasque for you.
>>
>>47671057
He has to have a climbing speed.
>>
>>47671057
MM pg 318, "Ape" statblock.
>>
>>47671199
>literally the first one
God dammit that's the second time this week I've missed something because I was too specific in what I was looking for.
Thanks.
>>
>>47667857
book of erotic fantasy
>>
File: index.jpg (6KB, 160x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6KB, 160x183px
>>47661976
>>
>>47671251
>book of traps and other homoerotic fantasies
>>
What's a good prewritten adventure to jump off to after finishing Mine of Phandelver?
>>
>>47671061
Boss/enemy weapon mechanics. Something allowing people to take the special attacks of certain bosses and enemies and use them, like the Gold/Silver Tracer or any of the boss weapons.
>>
Guys I think I fucked up
I made an early victorian setting for my group and gave them pistols and rifles instead of crossbows and bows

It's all fine and dandy, except there is a ranger in the group and he plans to go hunter

What do I do if he decided to use volley or something? I was thinking of giving him a multi-barreled rifle but volley is made for a bow, there is no way I can get him enough barrels for that

Maybe by the time he can use volley I can give him a revolver-carbine with a 10-shot cylinder?

Anyone have any ideas?
>>
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/182849/The-Lightborn--New-Race
So I just want to make sure. What do people here think of this? Also how do you even make a 22mb pdf with 3 pages.
>>
>>47671806
how about just not worrying about it and let him do his thing?
>>
>>47669764
The player remains conscious and gains lingering injuries and levels of exhaustion. One level and injury at 0, and another of each each hit after. HP is 100% injury free until 0.

Things like large falls and critical hits also get a lingering injury.
>>
>>47671806
He could just not pick volley, or pick up a bow and arrow if he really wants to volley.
>>
>>47671851
Isn't that just an Aasimar?
>>
>>47671851
Is that the race made by the yogscast guy?
I can't do PDFs, tell me what it does.
>>
>>47671894
https://twitter.com/sherlock_hulmes/status/730456442747142144

Holy sghit you are actually corect
>>
>>47671806
First of all, discuss this with him. Communication with your players is key.
As for what you can do there's 3 good options
1) Get him to agree that volley wouldn't work with a gun so that he will either not choose it or acquire a non-firearm weapon
2) Tell him he needs a type of special scatter shot ammo or multi-barreled weapon like you discussed.
3) Just let him do it, bad ass rapid loading bullet volley is something I'd be all about.
>>
>>47671856
>>47671862
I guess, I'll make sure to make a longbow accessible then

I do plan to give him a four-barreled pepperbox rifle, but I guess he'll have to figure out the volley situation by himself
>>
>>47671927
why not just let him volley with a rifle? This is Ranger, we're talking about, it's not going to break anything.
>>
>>47671915
Problem with rapid reloading is that we're talking 1830s here, so no cartridges quite yet

Maybe later on though...
>>
>>47671957
>>47671957
>>47671957

/5eg/ is dead, long live /5eg/
>>
>>47671947
It's not that I think it would be unbalanced, it's just kinda hard to justify someone taking almost 12 shots in 6 seconds with a muzzle-loader, just for immersion's sakes
>>
>>47671806
Let him explain it if he wants to use it. Two options, both a bit zany:
1.) He loads the barrel with a whole bunch of shot and blasts it all out in one go.
2.) He can fenagle some sort of cartridge system and just reload really quickly.

Honestly, if the change from bows to guns is purely flavour, making him go back to bows for more flavour reasons is kinda dumb. Again, I'd say just let him explain it away himself.
>>
>>47671976
>it's just kinda hard to justify someone taking almost 12 shots in 6 seconds with a muzzle-loader, just for immersion's sakes

dude can summon magic vines from his asshole and turn his skin to bark but THIS breaks immersion for you?
>>
>>47671806
>>47671984
Volley is no longer a rain of shots, but instead a ridiculous trickshot. Each attack is the equivalent of the bullet zinging around, hitting each creature and ricocheting to the next.
>>
>>47671887
That's what I thought. The mechanics are worse AFAIC, so I'm confused about the positive feedback. Yes, it's DMsG but there are negative reviews and critical feedback on a lot of stuff there.

>>47671894
Is it used in the yogs game? I haven't watched it. As for what it does, it's basically aasimar, restricted to humans for no reason (literally tells you no reason for it, and that your GM will explain why they are only humans), the innate spellcasting doesn't follow the guideline laid out by Wizards so instead of a 5th level spell the 3rd level one scales, and doesn't have any actual unique mechanics, the other feature taken from Half-Orcs with a clunky add-on.
>>
>>47662411

Can you imagine someone making 2 attacks with 3 wolves all who have advantage each turn?

Not that it might be too OP but jesus christ it would be slow.
>>
>>47661074
In a Pathfinder campaign I had a fighter that rode a Dire Wolverine because I cannot stand horses. A feed bag was part of my inventory, and I had to account for his rations in any scenarios that involved travel.
>>
File: Curseborn Cover.jpg (125KB, 565x732px)
Curseborn Cover.jpg
125KB, 565x732px
>>47671851
>>47671887
>>47671894
>>47671911
>Want to homebrew a new race for Ravenloft to put on DM's Guild
>Dub it the "Curseborn" for lack of a better name
>Fills the role of body that's been reanimated, but not had its soul restored to it as per a proper Raise Dead
>Break it down into two subraces, one more or less Frankenstein's monster where the body was reanimated by 'scientific' reconstruction, and one for magical things like mummy or fey curses
>Spend a few weeks brainstorming, typing it on and off, and formatting
>Confident that it allows something new without overtaking other concepts, and will be fun for use in Ravenloft, even an option for players to come back either in tandem with or instead of Dark Gifts
>Submit the PDF
>Realize some popular thing called "Lightborn" was uploaded exactly 4 hours prior
It made me salty that it exploded since it was a known personality's thing, and it already exists in the blasted DMG. Then again perhaps due to the unfortunately similar names my race has always been in the first few "Users also purchased" slots for Lightborn, might have netted me a few sales.
I also don't know how I didn't know that was Yogscast shit before, I haven't seen their ongoing D&D stuff but I watch the main channel often
>>
How do you guys approach letting PCs storm a lair that contains lots of enemies?

What I mean is, after fighting a bunch they will likely need a long rest, or will want to try to take one. But what are the baddies up to?
Surely if they made noise they'd come interrupt them. And someone would let the big boss know?

My only ideas so far have been:
>Have some element about the place make lots of noise, so someone far away probably wouldn't hear fighting even two rooms away.
>Introduce a room that the players could easily barricade.
>Have the minions or weaker bosses say something about "no, don't get so-and-so, we'll take care of them ourselves."

Thoughts? Tips?
>>
>>47672904
Try posting in the new thread >>47671957. This one's dying.
Thread posts: 359
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.