[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eldritch Horror General /ehg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 55

File: hrzdr4.jpg (105KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
hrzdr4.jpg
105KB, 900x900px
Last thread: >>47526680

>Anon tried to convince me that Nyarlathotep isn't evil
Just kill me /tg/
>>
>>47554065
>didn't put the reading in the OP
http://www.eldritchdark.com
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/
>>
>>47554065
A good playlist about the gods and other entities of Lovecraft: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-aprpylMuCdnaFEYwTzAobqUZGxS1D5p
>>
>>47554089
Iä! Iä!
Ai fuckhthg'd uph dhath.
Shur-rh'i!
>>
>>47554090
This shit is good
>>
>>47554137
Yupp.
The guy just posted a new video about the Dreamlands.
Good stuff.
>>
File: Nyarlathotep.jpg (25KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep.jpg
25KB, 320x320px
>>47553115
>>47553146

Kek, it's surprisingly good.
Thanks Anon!
>>
So let's talk about cults /tg/. What sort of behaviors, rituals and goals would you expect from cults devoted to each of the outer gods?

Of the top of my head:
>Azathoth: nihilists who believe that the universe is pointless due to just being his dream, whereas if he wakes up he can create a new universe with purpose and meaning. They're wrong obviously but it keeps them going.
>>
>>47554166
The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets put in a surprising amount of effort considering they sing like 90% lovecraft related songs. They got people to translate stuff to middle egyptian for the song about Nyarlathotep and had mathematicians make sure their math was right for The Math Song which is just some extended equation they sing along to.
>>
File: yog_sothoth_by_chivohit-d5b8wrr.jpg (405KB, 900x1101px) Image search: [Google]
yog_sothoth_by_chivohit-d5b8wrr.jpg
405KB, 900x1101px
>>47554311
Shub-Niggurath is supposed to be the most commonly worshiped outer god, usually worshiped as "a kind of sophisticated Astarte", as Lovecraft put it. In other words, a fertility deity. I'd assume most of her cults would be similar to actual cults dedicated to gods associated with fertility and agriculture. Think druids. While some of the cults dedicated to her might have some grand plan or ideology, the majority of them are probably just a bunch of farmers offering her sacrifices to ensure good harvest and many children. Sacrificing people to her dark young (which are effectively treated as proxies/avatars of the outer god) is often mentioned as part of the cults' rituals.

Yog-Sothot, on the other hand, is primarily associated with knowledge in all forms, particularly forbidden knowledge like magic or mythos lore. His worshipers would likely mostly consist of people wishing to learn magic and other secrets of the universe, although some people might worship him just because he's, well, a capital G God (omniscient, omnipotent, the works). I imagine any rituals associated with the cults would vary a lot, but probably involve complex patterns and higher-dimensional mathematics.
>>
>>47554574
Wouldn't Cthulhu be the most worshipped High Priest, almost god-like, because of mainstream culture?
>>
>>47554593
the in the Lovecraft universe the Lovecraft books aren't published.

That probably would have started a nuclear war or something.
>>
>>47553528
finished it recently. the ending is amazing but the middle is tedious. I do find amusing the role of the cats.

>and so i tumbled senselessly through the night, the putrid, faceless, slimy, quavering blubber after me, with ears pieced by that leprous, diabolical, dreadful, immense anarchy that were their antediluvian cries.
>and then some kitties saved me and I shook their pawses
>meow

Also, I've been going through all Lovecraft fiction chronologically and dream quest has so many damn references.
>>
>>47554672
Kuranes was my favorite part, meeting him again after Celephais. Even if it's a blatant rip-off of Dunsany's work.
>>
>>47554564
>They got people to translate stuff to middle egyptian for the song about Nyarlathotep and had mathematicians make sure their math was right for The Math Song which is just some extended equation they sing along to.

Pretty impressive, to be honest.
Never heard about them before, tho.
>>
>>47554311
Nyarlathotep's Cultists pretty much live by Nyarlathotep's ideals of shits and giggles and when they aren't helping Nyarly outwith a scheme he's just partying with them. They are eternal hedonists. (This doesn't include the Church of Starry Wisdom or the Brotherhoods of the Black Pharaoh/Beast)
>>
File: c1RBAie8.jpg (32KB, 411x411px) Image search: [Google]
c1RBAie8.jpg
32KB, 411x411px
>>47554933
>ywn join Nyarlathotep's cults
>ywn be the ideal of shits and giggles
>ywn party with your god
>ywn be an eternal hedonist

So basically
>ywn live deliciously

WHY EVEN LIVE?!
>>
>>47554964
Everything reinforces it, Nyarlathotep is best Outer God
>>
So what's your favourite Lovecraft's story? I'm partial to Cool Air myself, though Mountains of Madness is pretty great as well.
>>
File: latest.jpg (191KB, 344x279px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
191KB, 344x279px
>>47555216
Color from Outer Space

Also we haven't mentioned best Great Old One once, Y'go is toppest tier
>>
>>47555238
Whoops, it's The Colour Out of Space
>>
>>47555216
Music of Erich Zann was pretty good. The only that was legit creepy
>>
File: Lovecraft2.png (1MB, 2448x2870px) Image search: [Google]
Lovecraft2.png
1MB, 2448x2870px
Who else /GoT/ here
>>
>>47555216

Colour, mountains and herbert west.
>>
>>47555312
tl;dr?
>>
>>47555779
tl;dr Euron Greyjoy is an insane pirate who has been hoarding artifacts and trophies to conquer the world with. His feats includes raping his little brother, hanging priests and mages off of the bow of his ship, and drinking a blue-tinted psychedelic potion enough for his skin to turn blue-ish and his lips to turn black. He has also been to Valyria, and returned with a suit of armor, making him the only man in the known world to wear Valyrian armor.
>>
>>47555804
Also apparently Deep Ones exist in GoT universe.
>>
So, I'm working on a concept for a Delta Green campaign shamelessly ripping off God's Teeth, but there it is.

Under the town of Olney, Oregon, is a temple of an ancient, pre-human deity strongly associated with hunting. Every so often a drunken teen or a backpacker, nature-lover etc wanders into the cave, looks at the weird paintings, maybe picks up a cool rock and leaves. Since Olney is kind of a dead town notable only for some cool cliffs, kids from Olney tend to leave and most nature lovers are tourists, so they'll leave Olney entirely. Except they don't leave alone. Now they serve the hunter, for they have picked one of his weapons to hunt with.

The hunter is, of course, Nodens. The problem is that Nodens wants you to hunt. Ideally, he wants you to hunt extra-terrestrial things - the idea being that Nodens is one of the "native" gods of the world, like Bast, whereas much of the Mythos is alien in nature. Even if you don't encounter the extra-terrestrial, Nodens wants you to HUNT. And he tells you this. Over and over. In your dreams, in our waking life.

So, people touched by Nodens almost invariably snap and kill. Some become serial killers, others just look like it's a case of "suddenly, Aunt Julia just had enough and grabbed her gun". Eventually, someone in a criminal statistics project works out that there's a remarkable preponderance of serial killers from Olney - or who have passed through Olney at some point in their life. Enough of these serial killers have been tangential to the Mythos (Nodens getting lucky and having you kill someone with Deep One blood, for instance) that DG is interested and dispatches a cell to Olney to investigate.

Thoughts on that premise?
>>
>>47555893

Yeah, they're one of the pre-human races. They probably made the Labyrinth on Essos and the Seastone Chair on the Iron Islands. (When the First Men reached the Iron Islands, that throne was already fucking there.)

Also, Leng is totally a place in Essos.
>>
>>47556049
So is Carcosa.

Gurm just filled the regions he'll never write about (East of the free cities) With Lovecraftian stuff.
>>
File: 1424364622395922727.png (471KB, 800x527px) Image search: [Google]
1424364622395922727.png
471KB, 800x527px
>>47556084
>Carcosa

erry tiem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdjKXlEEeR0
>>
>>47554065
is this thread exclusively lovecraftian horror?

or will cosmic horror work here fine?
like bloodborne?
>>
File: 5kyCQUd.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
5kyCQUd.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>47556510
You know I played that recently and it's gotten me curious about Lovecraft and cosmic horror.
>>
>>47556727
how much have you read?
>>
File: a0657001335_16.jpg (83KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a0657001335_16.jpg
83KB, 700x700px
>>47556510
Depends.

There is an RPG called Call of Cthulhu, so let's say that's the basis of / for this thread + Lovecraftian lore.

But honestly, I think we can discuss any kind of "eldritch horror" here, so yeah: we can talk about stuff like bloodborne.

After all, who knows?
Maybe one of us will use the info from this thread in a game.

>>47556727
There you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-XRAJfTAMY
>>
File: bloodbrew.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
bloodbrew.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>47556792
>Maybe one of us will use the info from this thread in a game.
that would be me again...

I want my setting to be more cosmic horror-fantasy than it is...it feels like it's missing something that I can find if I look at lovecraft hard enough
>>
>>47556785
The Necronomicon(As in the book not a story about the book), Dagon, The Nameless City, The Hound.
>>
File: 1456392711317.jpg (161KB, 414x615px) Image search: [Google]
1456392711317.jpg
161KB, 414x615px
>>47557012
>Necronomicon(As in the book
>>
>>47557012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RV6htNDTwI&list=PLCbN-op7qL6dg9T8S43Vb787nwYJRMViG

here are several stories read by a FANTASTIC NARRATOR

add them to your list of read books.
>>
File: ebrietas.jpg (25KB, 365x365px) Image search: [Google]
ebrietas.jpg
25KB, 365x365px
>>47557038
Yeah I know it wasn't a very good read but somewhat interesting.
>>47557056
Thanks
>>
>>47557176
Er, which Necronomicon did you read?

Tyson's Necronomicon, the Simon Necronomicon, or one of the others?
>>
>>47557056

Dazed, reeling, about to break.
>>
Has anyone read (or, even better, does anyone have (links to)) those 2000 AD comics which had really Lovecraftian themes? An anon was dumping them on /tg/ a while ago.

The first was called Leviathan, and was about a giant ship getting sucked into another universe by Hastur (who was a demon trapped aboard it). The second was about a British nobleman/paranormal detective who'd seen and been marked by an eldritch abomination (I think also called Leviathan - it shared a multiverse with the first story) in the First World War.

He also dumped some issues of a comic which was less Lovecraftian about paranormal police/detectives in modern day London.
>>
>>47557365
Was not aware there was more than one, still new too this, I think it was the Simon Necronomicon.
>>
>>47558067
Oof yeah, that's a piece of shit and a half.

A misshmash of mythos and mesopotamian magic, merged into a medley of madness.
>>
>>47556084
>>47556049
So is Kadath (K'dath)
>>
File: Slaine Warp spasm.jpg (212KB, 425x428px) Image search: [Google]
Slaine Warp spasm.jpg
212KB, 425x428px
>>47557736
Slaine from 2000AD I find to be a perfect medely of Lovecraftian horror and ancient celtic apocrypha. That as well as some of the Conan stories in particular, like the Heart of Yag-Kosha, the Serpent and the Ibis or The God in the Bowl.
>>
>>47554065
>Eldritch Horror General
>most boring boardgame of all
>I'd rather play talisman for a week than touch this piece of shit
>>
>>47556040

No love for Nodens?
>>
I've always enjoyed these types of threads, but I've never read any of Lovecraft's work. The link at the top of this thread gives me access to what seems like all of his writings. I'm wondering, where should I start?

Can anyone point me to stories in particular that I should read? What will give me an understanding of this crazy universe and its multitudes of gods and aliens and monsters?
>>
>>47558675

Probably the best stories that give you history while still being stories would be Mountains of Madness and Shadow out of Time.
>>
File: flintstone.jpg (349KB, 767x1024px) Image search: [Google]
flintstone.jpg
349KB, 767x1024px
>>47558576
Read your thing and I have a few suggestions; your were probably already thinking it but have the stones be like early chipped stone weapon heads.

Second, I wouldn't have it as serial killers, maybe throw one or two in for options, but I would rather leave it vague, say like alot of people of live in or pass through Olney suddenly die in odd or supernatural fashion, either in places they shouldn't be [hunting something horrific] or suddenly surprised and set on by something queer [perhaps some adversary/s awakened to them by their Nodenic connection.]. Point being to leave more mystery to it, whilst having threads that you can pick up later in the opposite direction.

Other than that, Its a really sound idea.
>>
>>47558675
Mountains of maddness, Shadow out of time, The strange case of charles dexter ward and The Dunwich Horror are all good places to start with the Lovecraft stuff.

On EldritchDark, I would also massively reccomend all the Hyperborean stories by Clark Ashton Smith, which are also on there; starting with Testament of Athammaus or the Tale of Semptra Zairos.
>>
File: 000188.jpg (463KB, 2911x749px) Image search: [Google]
000188.jpg
463KB, 2911x749px
Other than Lovecraft, does anyone have favorite Mythos authors?
>>
>>47556040
Why don't they just hunt some deer? Serial killers aren't really hunters anyway.
>>
>>47558775

The stone arrow/spear heads is definitely the idea, club heads and so on.

Yeah, not all are serial killers - many commit suicide or look like psychotic schizophrenics (voices in the head telling them to KILL THE WHORES) but serial killers are actually pretty rare, so even a handful al coming from a small town like Olney is statistically weird.
>>
>>47559815

Nodens doesn't care what you hunt, just fucking hunt. So yeah go feral, kill deer, why not. But if you live in a city? Where you don't see a deer? And then you get into "deadliest game" territory.

Also, Nodens in this interpretation is a spirit associated with this world who hates alien influence so hunting and killing, say, cultists, people who have been mind-whammied by the many aliens of the Mythos etc. The reason Olney is on the coast is because the natives were actively waging war against the Deep Ones of the Pacific, and their alien master. So Cthulhu cultist? KILL THE WHORE. Hastur cultist? KILL THE WHORE. Miskatonic librarian who has read the wrong book? KILL THE WHORE NODENS DONT PLAY THAT GAY BOOK SHIT Eventually someone with a persistent and supernatural homicidal impulse in their heads is going to... Be un-right in the head.
>>
>>47559819
They don't have to be serial killers to murder anon.

Maybe the town just has an abnormal murder rate. Or maybe it's biker gang territory.
>>
>>47555216
The Call of Cthulhu
It's all their, alien gods, cults, Necronomicon.
>>
>>47559909

It's not the town as a whole, it's specifically people who have been touched by a common factor that happens to be based near Olney. The bikers would only be more likely to kill if they had at some point been in the cave.

I've already said they aren't all serial killers, anon. Several times actually.
>>
>>47557736
God bless Shakaranon

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/m599kv9qzesna/Ampney_Crucis

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/gbgh92bt4239u/Necronauts

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ptvzaiey8ro5u/Leviathan
>>47558067
>>
>>47560260
Fucking based. Cheers anon.
>>
>>47555804
Moreover, Euron is probably the ultimate bad guy of the series, to be opposed by the ultimate good goal, Danaerys.
>>
>>47560732
>ultimate good
>Whore of dragons
Jorah pls

Everyone knows it's JonSnu
>>
>>47559907
There is no place in Oregon that is not Portland that is more than 5 miles from a herd of deer.
>>
>>47560931

And if you read the main post you'd know that Olney is the sort of place no-one STAYS - kids graduate high school and leave for college or find a job somewhere with a non-shitty economy. So these people are operating all over the state, the country, maybe one or two going international.
>>
>>47560260
Thanks!
>>
>>47555804
I never read any of this shit in the books. Is it in that compendium of knight's stories?
>>
>>47561674
GRRM recently came out with two new excerpts from his next book, the stuff mentioned about Aeron and Euron are from one of those excerpts.
>>
>>47559717
August Derleth
>>
>>47557736
That last one sounds like Rivers of London, more urban fantasy than horror.

I'd also recommend 2000ad strips Cabalistics inc and Absalom
>>
>>47561710
Oh, guess I would have figured that out if I looked at the graphic, which I didn't.
>>
What would be more fun?
>Starting out with a generally mundane Delta Green opera investigating a spate of "possessions" of children in a town, and turning into Read The Demon A Bedtime Story or Get Raped In Hell For All Eternity
or
>Wherein An Opera Goes Horribly Wrong As Agents Stumble Into The Network from Utopia's plans seriously dude massive spoilers for Utopia ok don't say i didn't warn you to sterilize everyone on the planet
>>
File: milkweed.jpg (65KB, 398x400px) Image search: [Google]
milkweed.jpg
65KB, 398x400px
>>47556510
Are you trying to tell me Bloodborne isn't Lovecraftian in the extreme?
>>
>>47561818

Option no. 2 seems far mkre interesting to me
>>
>>47560732
Daenerys is not the ultimate good guy, because she's pro-violence. GRRM is super, super, anti-war and any character that wants to use war for good is gonna have it come back and slap them in the face.
>>
>>47561674
There was a PoV chapter with said brother associating creaking doors with Euron with all that implies. His intro had him drink the same stuff those priests or whoever Danny met that turned their lips blue. I vaguely remember the whole bit about hanging priests off the bow, he did boast about going to Valyria, and I don't know if there was any mention of valyrian armor.
>>
>>47561848
Do you know how The Network operates?
They're kinda like DG if instead of protecting humanity, they were more concerned with protecting the earth.
And yes, that means similar methods. Though The Network are (if Alphonse's Axioms are thought of as canon) a lot more willing to torture and murder innocents simply because they may have heard a snippet of something about a person they're interested in.

Also it would be very interesting to see how the two agencies would interact, and how they'd run into each other.

I imagine that DG agents raided a Network safehouse under the impression they were a cult of some sort

But no, they're the Network/

And o shit, Kestrel, you done fucked up bad
>>
>>47561818
>Utopia actually takes place in the Lovecraft mythos
I can fucking dig it.
>>
>>47561737
>this triggers the everybody
>>
>>47561934
I'd need a hand in fleshing it out and knowing how not to desecrate the awesome IPs as I am a first time GM and want to do something cool and marvellous.

None of my players have watched Utopia, but I've given them the DG Agent's guide to read.
>>
>>47561737
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVLWz3b0yrc
>>
File: e74b5c3850ab6adf0344f3d217bb952a.gif (1000KB, 418x632px) Image search: [Google]
e74b5c3850ab6adf0344f3d217bb952a.gif
1000KB, 418x632px
Can Eldritch horror be sexy
>>
>>47561981
In a sufficiently fucked up ie gurochan sort of way, yes, I imagine.
>>
>>47561981
See Y'golonac
>>
the fact that the great old ones give such a shit about earth and that the grandsons of yog-sothoth and shub-nigurath (Cthulhu and Tsathoggua) are located on earth seems to be in defiance of the very cosmic insignificance they are supposed to represent. and an octopus headed dragon winged giant is really way too geocentric for the 4th generation descendant of Azathoth, who dreams the universe itself.

The only I an think out of this is if nug and yub have literally billions or more of spawn out their in the universe.
>>
>>47562191
They probably do actually.
>>
>>47562191
It's because Nyarly parties on Earth and all the Eldritch Abominations wanna be hip.
>>
is true detective season 1 had hastur?
>>
>>47562264
Yes, illiterate one, True Detective referenced Hastur
>>
Question

Would it be in your opinion a total break in the spirit of Lovecraftian horror to invent or use a "god" or mythos being that is sympathetic or at least helps humanity against the horror in some way even in super small amounts?

I know of the elder gods but everyone seems divided on them.

I guess its somewhat comforting that even in a horrific setting, someone out there has got your back. Or at least can be bargained and doesnt cause you to go insane the moment you speak to it.
>>
>>47561976
The Network has been infiltrated by a surviving member of the Esoteric Order of Dagon. Arrested and taken to a black site following the 1928 raid by the U.S. Government on Innsmouth, the immortal half-Deep One was interrogated and experimented on. After either escaping or proving useful/charismatic enough to be released (quite possibly with the help of sorcery), he disappeared amidst the government officials surrounding him and wormed his way into the high ranks who deal with the secretive, diabolical stuff. He covered up his existence by erasing documents, killing certain individuals and delaying his transformation into a full Deep One via chemical and sorcerous means. Eventually finding his way into The Network, he plans on going ahead with their plan to sterilise the human race; The Network doesn't know that, while Janus will prevent humans from succesfully breeding with each other, it will do nothing to humanity's ability to interbreed with the Deep Ones. Once humanity is sterilised, the Deep Ones will basically have free reign to rape themselves into a position of superiority on Earth.
The Network, using their sleeper agents and subliminal messaging in world media, is poking humanity towards a series of actions that play a part in a mass ritual to Shub-Niggurath, which will briefly attract the attention of the deity with a Thousand Young and render the majority of the human race infertile.
>>
>>47562239
>>47562256
I still feel the need for an explanation as to why they look so normal.

Cephalopod have only existed for 500 million years or so, hominids for only around 5 million

Cthulhu has been around for several billion and is so closely related to the outer gods that such a simple form hardly seems to make sense.

even if we look like Cthulhu and not the other way around, why did it take so long for us and so much shorter for cephalopods?
>>
>>47562393
>I guess its somewhat comforting that even in a horrific setting, someone out there has got your back.
lame
>Or at least can be bargained and doesnt cause you to go insane the moment you speak to it.
not lame
>>
>>47562393
There are a few, even Nyarlathotep can be reasoned with.

Nodens would be your best bet
>>
>>47562393
I mean, that's the perspective of the cultists isn't it? The Gods grant them favour and freedom and what have you, so in their eyes the Gods are good. At the same time, so of the Gods might think they're doing good, and some people see it that way, but most people don't. I always got the feeling Shub-Niggurath was supposed to be creepy in an clingy mothering way.

Similarly, in a setting I'm working on the Elder Gods aren't "good" per se, but they're more easily understood and better liked by humans than their enemies. They're organic, emotional, and disturbingly familiar. Like the womb, slimy but also homey.
>>
>>47562430
He doesn't, our mind just perceives him that way.
>>
>>47562462
Nodens seemed pretty chill actually.

Sure, he steals your soul forever to ride with him, but that's a pretty fair deal.
>>
>>47561827
but it isn't lovecraftian, it's a cosmic horror setting, everyone confuses it with being lovecraftian because Lovecraft did it best first.

and I asked that as a lead in to bring up my homebrew so I could find things to add in, or ideas to steal.>>47556833
>>
>>47562524
What's the difference?

Actual question though, I'm not trying to be a dick, just wondering what your distinction is.
>>
>>47562487
"They had shape—for did not this star-fashioned image prove it?—but that shape was not made of matter." - call of cthulhu

>star-fashioned
>fashioned by aliens, possibly spawn of cthulhu
>still in the form humans perceive

also I don't think cthulhu is supposed to be powerful enough that we can't perceive it's true form. otherwise why would it need a city or be trapped within the earth?
>>
>>47562524
>>47562543
They are one and the same, Lovecraft codifed Cosmic Horror.
>>
>>47562543
the monsters of maddening size or complexity made to make man feel small and insignificant.

the lovecraft mythos IS cosmic horror, but not all cosmic horror is lovecraftian.
>>
>>47562393

I mean, most if not all of the mythos gods dont seem overly hostile to humankind. In fact it seems as though some are kinda dependant on humanity for... I dunno entertainment? Why else would Narly spend an inordinate amount of time interacting with humanity?
>>
>>47562567
ok the same guy with the questions throwing out a possibility

all of the forms of those beings which naturally evolved on earth are contained within the great old ones. the traits of every animal that has existed or ever will exist are in the various great old ones.

perhaps their presence influence what types of genetic mutations arise on a planet.

elder things not included because they are alien.
>>
>>47561953
I have to know, since I only read HPL stuff, none of the 'fanfiction'. Why is Auggy so revered as the most hated one of them all?
>>
>>47562632
turned the whole thing from cosmic indifference to cosmic struggle between good and evil

cosmic struggle between good and evil is pretty much every other genre and also is not really representative of reality

it's basically christian fantasy like the Chronicles of Narnia dressed up in cosmic attire.
>>
>>47562567
This will explain a bit
http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu
>>47562632
He tried to inject mortality and other stupid shit into the Yog-Sothothery
>>
>>47561981
No really reason they can't be. I would just expect a ton of pain if someone was stupid enough to fall for the outer surface.

>>47562393
Most of them are neutral anyway. So there isn't really a reason there couldn't be some horror somewhere that helps out just by doing it's own thing.
>>
>>47562631
That pretty awesome actually, it's confirmed that Nyarlathotep loves science. Maybe he intentional manipulated our genetics
>>
>>47562655
>>47562675
Fucking ew, man. Did someone punch him for this yet? How can one man miss the ENTIRE idea behind what made Lovecraft's world the most cold and empty place ever. Why didn't he just fuck about with Gaiman and Pratchett's worlds. They have everything he needs.
>>
>>47562767
Kek, August Derleth came before them by 200 years
>>
>>47562448
>Or at least can be bargained and doesnt cause you to go insane the moment you speak to it.
So, Nyarlathotep?
>>
>>47562524
dude, one of the runes is the fucking elder sign. it's lovecraft through and through
>>
>>47562675
that just made it worse the increased alieness of the matter and the location of his birth only make his form seem more bizarre.

it also doesn't say anywhere that that is not his true form.
>>
>>47562798
yes

lovecraft doesn't need revision to have at least a little bit of hope for survival

the dark is light enough
>>
Some time ago I was toying with this idea : a centuries old order of european mythos hunters. Of course, they are not Van Helsing, they are french and english aristocrats, with long and complex family tree, carefully selected amongst the luckiest people to breed more luck. Then they learn about the mythos, some become mad, some don't. The "lucky" ones are then admitted as hunters. But they don'thunt for the sake of mankind, oh no. They hunt for pleasure. The also hunt for the meat. You see, once you've tasted the mythos, you can't really go back to regular game and fish. You HAVE to try the Tindalos roast, the Moon Beast innard soup, the Ghoul tongues in sauce.
And those are the one who are not mad.
>>
>>47562855
>Ghoul tongues in sauce
so they are actively immoral rather than just ambivalent?
>>
>>47562828
Read through the Gates of the Sliver Key
>>
>>47562792
Ah. I didn't bother to check, it felt like some modern bullcrap raping the legacy of Lovecraft. I will go dig a hole to hide in now.
>>
>>47562596
They mostly fall into two categories, at least from a human perspective .

Uncaring
&
Uncaring, and also sort of evil/a dick

They seem dependent on us because in a bizarre, roundabout way, they are. At least, the parts of them that are on Earth are.
>>
>>47562908
Don't dig too deep, you might accidentally break into some ghoul caverns
>>
>>47562902
going through everything chronologically. have a while to go before it since i'm currently at the case of Charles Dexter ward. until then i will just have to suspend my disbelief.
>>
>>47562900
They consider the humanity as a part of it's own mythos. We managed to rule Earth with our "magic" that let us turn raw particles into machines and chemical reaction, there is no reason we should stop there. They don't fully understand what they are facing, but they saw it bleed and die, that's enough for them.
Most of them are a bit like The Comedian from Watchmen : they do'nt fucking care.
>>
>>47555312

Yeah, the new Winds of Winter chapter definitely seems to be pointing towards the eldritch apocalypse scenario. I'm interested to see how George reconciles this with the Others/White Walkers being presented as the end game big bad for so long.
>>
>>47562956
yeah but ghouls aren't evil and they aren't against us. they are like lawful neutral.
>>
>>47562579

...you didn't answer his question.
>>
>>47555216
Colour out of space has a special place in my heart. Nice setting, nice buildup, and also is more "local horror" focused than his other works.
>>
>>47562981
killing and eating a ghoul is like killing and eating a horse, a dog, anything but a human. And i don't exculde different tendancies inside the organisation. the problem I have is the population. A conspiracy across all europe is large, but can it be large enough to cover the extremely high cost in human lives their activities demand. Maybe they have some sort of dead with orphanage like the Skoptsi, but that's a bit deja-vu. They won't turn to Shubby for fertility rites either.
>>
>>47562983
...I did answer it.

the difference between lovecraft and cosmic horror is the same as the difference between a square and a rectangle.
>>
>Anons here hearing about the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets
My black skinned avatars from the Dark God.
You should also check their last album, The Shadow out of Tim, which tells about a marine biologist who suffered the mind swapping with the Great Race and the aftermath of the event, happening in the last-
>album is from 2007
I'm really lost in time and space.
>>
>>47561737
FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>47563234
At least we now hear the Faceless God's divine music
>>
>>47563050
>killing and eating a ghoul is like killing and eating a horse, a dog, anything but a human.

what did he mean by this?

ghouls are clearly sapient. they can talk.
>>
>>47558535
>the Heart of Yag-Kosha
you mean the tower of the elephant?
>>
>>47562524
nobody likes a pedant, let alone a petulant namefag pedant
>>
>>47563707
>are clearly sapient
So are animals anon.
>>
>>47563811
Animals are sentient, not sapient.
>>
File: 1399617246445.jpg (240KB, 1280x865px) Image search: [Google]
1399617246445.jpg
240KB, 1280x865px
Oh boy here we go.
>>
>>47562393
>Question
Yes it would be. It is also one of the reasons that out of all the people that have contributed to yog-sothogery that August Derleth is a fucking tool but the others are all alright.
>>
>>47563798
Yes, I mis-remembered.
>>
>>47563707
Yeah, but in this case it's also culturally understanding. As long as you leave it for several days or weeks to age the meat.
>>
So, there's kind of a glut of Lovecraft games on the market. Why is that, and which is your favourite?
>>
>>47559907
Overly edgy.
>>
File: latest.jpg (100KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
100KB, 500x467px
May we pray to the Outer Gods for some drawfags and writefags?
>>
>>47564341

It's Nodens. He's a hunter. What were you expecting? A god that gives you happy sunshine cuddles?
>>
>>47564341
It's the Yog-Sothothery, you were expecting a happy story?
>>
So, plot point:
In December 2012, the stars were actually right. Not just kind of okay for happenings, but an absolutely perfectly aligned cosmic claxon for all the nastiness in the universe to finally do its thing...

And nothing happened.

Mankind edged closer to over-unity fusion, the meteor that was meant for Rome was months late and hit in the ass end of Russia instead. A couple weird things got some cultists to think it might be better late than never... but no, nothing.

The investigators are all well acquainted with mythos, they know Something should have happened, but now they're faced with the mystery of why the cosmos is suddenly eerily quiet.
>>
>>47564887

I think from a cosmic perspective, that's more comforting than the previous version of the Mythos.

I think that set-up might actually be good for cultists-as-investigators.

You've set up the ritual, you've sacrificed the virgin, the stars are right and your throat is bleeding from twisting into the shapes necessary to vocalise an inhuman language as you chant out across the waves...

Fucking nothing.

Shit. Now what? We were really expecting to all be dead now, none of us planned to live past tonight, our houses have all burned down, we quit our jobs..
>>
File: 1351303940724.jpg (119KB, 724x785px) Image search: [Google]
1351303940724.jpg
119KB, 724x785px
>>47564334
Because most of them are trying to exploit a different kind of terror, not the overly exploited gory and satanic/death ones.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is excelent. I've played it thrice, but on different ocassions so couldn't get the supposedly real ending (which you can only unlock playing on the hardest difficulty, receiving low damage overall, speedrunning the game and saving like four times). I really want to unlock that ending, but I don't have the time I had six years ago anymore.

Quake and the fan maps, specially those made by Kell MARRY ME and Necros. They're just too fucking good, writing about this makes me want to play them again, damn.

Blood. It's just a shame they will never release the code for this excelent game. You are a undead cowboy who wants to take revenge against the cult of a dark god and the dark god itself, killing everything that gets on your path and even more in the process. Blood 2 is good but couldn't surpass the original, which is also a shame.

Risk of Rain is pretty fun too. The last boss and the MISTERIOUS plot are the lovecraftian parts of the game: The fucker is very probably an Old God prophet (Nyarla/Hastur?), the planet is a hellish place from the human point of view and you leave it really messed up both physical and mentally.

Terraria, but this one has a more cartoony and colourful view of the mythos, if having them at all and not just being references.
>>
>>47564887
The Church of Starry Wisdom has suddenly gone underground and when those bold enough to ask Nyarlathotep why are only responded with a malicious chuckle.
>>
File: 1457480007687.png (63KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1457480007687.png
63KB, 500x281px
>>47565044
>No Bloodborne/Dark Souls?
You have excellent taste but consider those two.
>>
>>47565044

I was referring more to tabletop games than vidya; pretty much any horror game on tabletop is either an "of Cthulhu" or features Cthulhu in the title somewhere.
>>
File: 5haSfIW.png (16KB, 796x652px) Image search: [Google]
5haSfIW.png
16KB, 796x652px
>>47565330
Oh, well I'm rather conflicted there are quite a few good ones.
>>
>>47557056
Wayne June will always be my narrator husbando.
>>
File: 1353494890863.jpg (32KB, 300x384px) Image search: [Google]
1353494890863.jpg
32KB, 300x384px
>>47565282
Couldn't play DS yet, but a friend of mine told me of some of the events that take place there and took pictures of the delicious libraries than remember me of the Quake maps.
Don't know anything about Bloodborne though, will look it up.

>>47565330
I'm a crossboarder, jumping around some threads here on /tg/. Haven't played a tabletop yet but I have hope I'll get to it someday.
>>
>>47565595

Bloodborne is more Lovecraftian than the Souls games, which only sort of glance at Lovecraft in some of the monster designs, whereas Bloodborne is interesting in that it starts off as fighting Hammer Horror monsters and then takes a hard right turn down towards Innsmouth and doesn't stop.
>>
>>47565622
It even has Dreamrealms, which I think are a seriously forgotten piece of Lovecraft lore.
>>
>>47565622
>Forgetting Artorias of the Abyss
That shit screams Lovecraft
>>
What do you guys think of Lovecraft Lite?
>>
>>47565044
Infra Arcana, the roguelike, features notable part of the Lovecraft besitary and NPC gallery and has pretty solid sanity (loss) mechanics. Also, your levelling is capped so you can't become the almighty wizard/marine.
>>
>>47565669
Kadath is underrated as hell
>>
>>47565514

Logan Cunningham is lovely too, but I don't think he would be a good fit for spooky stuff.
>>
>>47565669
>>47567160
Dreamrealms are fucking trash.

In fact anything Lovecraft makes that isn't "dude unspeakable lmao" is fucking trash
>>
>>47562957
So does the ASoIaF endgame look like Deep Ones/Cthulhu vs Others/Lord of Light's archenemy vs Dragons/Lord of Light?
>>
>>47565044
There's a patch for CoC that you can download that makes the true ending less autistic to get.
>>
>>47566684
It's fine, I just get annoyed when people think it's genuine Lovecraft.

I never found Nyarko-san to be offensive, for example. No more so than I did Call Girl of Cthulhu, The Last Lovecraft, or that one Scooby-Doo episode.
>>
>>47568182
You mean the Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated episode with H. P. Hatecraft? That was actually really in line with Lovecraft's stuff while still making little jabs at his work. Fuck Nyarko-san's existence though, it's complete trash that exists as penance for some unknown crime.
>>
>>47568160
Here's the basic problem with the "True Ending", as someone who went through getting it.

The way you get the true ending involves rushing through the game. You've got to have played several times or be following a walkthrough to get all the documents, the hidden item, and the other goal (which is hilariously useless considering what happens just after you manage that one)

So to actually pull it off, you're probably going to not be following the story. Skipping cutscenes, running through as fast as possible. Not exploring.

So to get the true ending, revealing more of the story, you can't be bothered with the actual story itself.
>>
>>47568207
I dunno. I felt they did some neat stuff with the references. They didn't just go for the stuff everyone knows, but included things like the Statement of Randolph Carter, the Venusian form of the Great Race, some of the more obscure (and hard to spell) Great Old Ones, etc.
>>
>>47568207
I just think it's inconsistent to place so much dislike on Nyarko-san, as it's very existence ruins Lovecraft's works. Western properties do the same thing in regards to "accuracy and tone", and I don't see those garner nowhere near as much scorn as Nyarko-san.
>>
>>47568263
Don't worry, I hate the Western shit that just scrapes the scum of Lovecraft's work as well. Nyarko-chan is just so much more obnoxious about it and people post it to rile people up here.
>>
>>47568209
I need to find that /v/ screencap that explains how everything went wrong with Dark Corner of the Earth's development.

And it's still remarkable that in spite of all that, it still manages to be a good game. It's funny, how it vindicates Lovecraft's statement on what makes horror unique in fiction in Supernatural Horror in Literature. Where he states that a horror story can have bad writing, bad characters, or even a bad concept, it can still be carried and considered a good horror story if it can pull off a decent atmosphere.
>>
>>47568288
I'll be honest, I enjoyed Nyarko-san, just like I enjoyed Call Girl of Cthulhu, or Last Lovecraft.

I will share a petty dislike of something that is inspired by Lovecraft, as nonsensible as my dislike sounds.

I dislike Neonomicon. I feel that a lot of it was Alan Moore harping on the fact Lovecraft was asexual at best, or immaturely awkward about sex at worst.

And the fact that protagonist is Cthulhu's mother and is considered "divinity" by a madman and even Nyarlathotep makes it feel more like a religious horror story than a cosmic horror story.

I did enjoy the depiction of Leng, and Deep One rape hit a few of my fetishes.

But I don't like Neonomicon as a Lovecraftian story.
>>
File: 1414755627692.png (2MB, 2852x2720px) Image search: [Google]
1414755627692.png
2MB, 2852x2720px
>>47568294
>>
File: 2938368.jpg (29KB, 600x463px) Image search: [Google]
2938368.jpg
29KB, 600x463px
>>47568343
I'm not a fan of Deep One rape.

For me, the horror of Innsmouth wasn't rape, but the fact that so many were willing to take the oaths. They chose to take a Deep One as their husband (or far more often their bride, since Innsmouth was still pretty damn patriarchal)

Making Deep Ones into fishy rapists kind of seems boring and magical realmy to me.
>>
>>47568429
Yeah, the horror is caused by the fact that the inhabitants of Innsmouth willingly collaborated and interbred with disgusting fishmen from below. Making it rapey just makes it more typical and less abhorrent; it makes you pity the Insmouthians rather than abhor them.
>>
>>47568429
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I enjoy Shadow Over Innsmouth for very different reasons than I enjoyed Neonomicon's scenes.

I can sort of see the reasons behind the change to more rapist Deep Ones, and swinger party cultists with shifts in cultural norms towards sex. But the end result makes it feel more like a sleazy religious horror movie with an orgy. Maybe by making it so primal and humanly relatable, it takes away from the cosmic horror aspect. But that's just a passing thought, so feel free to criticize it.
>>
>>47568343
Moore's work is an alternate interpretation to the cosmic indifference of Lovecraft. It's the idea that the horror of it extends only to the personal, as the events that are unfolding are more like natural occurrences in that they lack moral or ethical implications. Almost all of the sinister or malevolent things that occur in Moore's stories are the result of humans and their interactions with the Mythos while the actual Mythos creatures can be downright personable at times.

Neonomicon's biggest issue is that the actual story is the prison interview and the conversation with Johnny Carcosa.
>>
>>47568497
Yeah, I've got no real criticisms other than what's already there. It does come down to a matter of taste after all.

Of course, relating the mythos to sex is a rather common thing in many circles. You have Delta Green likening Deep One taint to an STD, or their cult who gain immortality by sticking worms up their butts.
>>
>>47568497
>>47568444
>>47568429
You're forgetting that the Deep One rape has a completely different context than Shadow Over Innsmouth. Brears is an outsider who seeks to destroy the cult.
>>
>>47568531
> actual Mythos creatures can be downright personable at times

I think that's a part I disagree with most since that clashes with the cosmic indifference.

>the prison interview

Come to think of it, I still need to read the prequel. I always chuckled at how the guy was pulling a John Trent-style ploy so he could stay in the asylum.

>>47568584
Which is why it's weird that Neonomicon irks me, since I liked the DG stuff on the Deep Ones and the Brothers of the Worm.
>>
>>47568593
Sooo, that entitles her to the Third Oath of Dagon?

She's not even an order member.
>>
>>47568623
Great Race of Yith are bros.
>>
>>47568649
Are you expecting logic from Eldritch Horror cultists?
>>
>>47568623
The ones that are personable are the ones that have no reason not to be. The Deep One is sapient and sentient - and possibly was human once, Lovecraft had ghouls willing to help humans, and everyone else is at least quasi-human. Carcosa is the only one who stands out, ostensibly being Nyarlathotep, but even then he's still fucking with people with Aklo.
>>
>>47568775
Doesn't Nyarly fuck around with humans for shits and giggles?

>>47568770
Just because their effect on sanity is minimal, doesn't mean you should invite them to dinner
>>
>>47568842
Nyarlathothep just loves to fuck around with humans and play them into his schemed for a quick laugh. Or a really long, drawn out, and painful one.
>>
File: hZ1VraM.jpg (111KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hZ1VraM.jpg
111KB, 1024x768px
>>47556040
So Noel Jensen was a hippie college student working on his BA. He grew up in downtown Chicago, and his ideas of nature were coloured more by Disney than by real life - very... pastoral. He'd go for long walks in odd locations, trying to find the "verdant spirit of the living world", returning to his apartment to write long tedious poems about "dew-spangled leaves" and "delicate fawns."

When he suddenly dropped out, sold most of his possessions, and moved to Oregon, his family and friends assumed he was trying to find his own Walden Pond. They made the long pilgrimage to his cabin from time to time, but Noel had always been solitary. Eventually, the visitors stopped coming.

Noel's cabin is small and extremely dirty. It has running water (from badly maintained rain barrels) and power (from a propane generator). No lights though, and no electric stove. All the power is used to keep stacks and stacks of freezers running. Noel's retreat is always warm, always buzzing like a beehive.

Noel's been hunting, you see. He wasn't very good at first, but 1975 was a long time ago, and he's had years to practice. In fact, he's done nothing but practice. Wasting meat is a sin, so he keeps it, eating little else. Rabbit, deer, squirrel...

Or even, once, a hideous fungus-like crustacean that crawled out of an abandoned mineshaft. Noel hasn't figured out how to butcher that one yet - his knives keep bending or melting - but he's kept it in the freezer.
>>
>>47568886
Or just fuck them, in certain cases, IIRC
>>
>>47568900
>hideous fungus-like crustacean
OH SHIT IT'S THE PARTY MUSHROOMS FROM YUGGOTH
>>
>>47562191
>The only I an think out of this is if nug and yub have literally billions or more of spawn out their in the universe.
Probably. Shub-Niggurath has uncountable spawn, of whcih Nug and Yeg are two, and considering how closely they are said to remember their mother, they probably have uncountable spawn themselves.

>>47562417
I'd question why catching Shub-Niggurath's attention would render majority of humans infertile. Given how she's associated with life and fertility, I'd expect the exact opposite to occur ("best" case scenarion, everybody gets hyper-pregnant, probably with something with tentacles; worst case scenario, everybody gets hyper-cancer and turns into shapeless mass of tentacles).
>>
File: kP6fhGJ.jpg (119KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
kP6fhGJ.jpg
119KB, 1280x853px
>>47562417
I like this idea.
>>
>>47568842
I would, the Yithian's seem like decent enough guys. They treated their scientific test subjects better then the US government did.

And, similarly, Lovecraft goes out of his way to call the Elder Things men. That. combined with what he says about ghouls in Dreamquest, makes me think he was quietly coming to terms with how dumb his racism was. But that's a different beast entirely.
>>
>>47568981
>Best Case: Hideous amounts of tentacles
>Worst case: Hideous amounts of tentacles
It's a win-win!
>>
>>47569016
I thought the Mi-Go were the ones that did that?
>>
>>47569016
He's mentioned in letters that he regretted his racism, after his marriage ended, though he was still friends with his wife afterwards.
>>
>>47569039
Sorry, I meant brain swapping test subjects/living history books.

Still, they always seemed to be really respectful to the people and let them do just about whatever in the Yithian time.
>>
File: x3HzxQW.gif (2MB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
x3HzxQW.gif
2MB, 512x512px
>>47562567
>>47562487

I've seen some very convincing videos (which I can't find a the moment) that show that a higher-dimensional creature, perceived in 3 dimensions, would have what appeared to be tentacles. Just as a sphere perceived in 2 dimensions would appear to be circles, expanding and contracting, something with higher dimensions could have long, flashing "tentacles" or thin, fluttering "wings" - all perfectly sensibly arranged in a higher dimensions, but completely odd to anyone with our limited senses.
>>
>>47569052
Lovecraft strikes me as a really unfortunate and stunted guy. Shame he died so young.
>>
File: 1311681235446.jpg (298KB, 727x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1311681235446.jpg
298KB, 727x1000px
>>47569039
The migo kept their brains in jars.

The Great Race let you read, communicate with others from across history, and explore their cities while they were in your body.
And then afterwards they'd try to wipe your brain so you didn't remember it.
>>
The Mi-Go put people's brains in jars and Yith just swap time with people, yes?
>>
File: SyIbohW.gif (475KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
SyIbohW.gif
475KB, 500x500px
>>47568963
Eating immaterial matter is likely to cause more than hallucinations. The creature isn't dead either - just in suspended animation, stunned by a bullet and surrounded by frozen deer parts. If the Investigators spook Noel, or if he loses power to his cabin for an extended period of time....
>>
So, what would you do if you found a mindless iridescent protoplasm in your backyard?

Also, how did I manage to fuck up "mindless" but not "iridescent"?
>>
File: OrzComm.png (14KB, 243x107px) Image search: [Google]
OrzComm.png
14KB, 243x107px
hello *extremely*!

i think these guys are a good example of a "friendly" cosmic horror. fundamentally alien and impossible for us to understand, they might accidentally delete you from reality, but they're extremely cheerful and cooperative. for me the extreme overfriendliness combined with dark hints of cosmic horror is a really great flavor, kind of gets at the hysterical "are we laughing or screaming now" feel of some acid trips.
>>
>>47569138
Influence it to build me a city with hypnotic suggestion, then burn it.

>>47569073
Have you ever taken in that Conan the Barbarian and the Mythos share a universe?
>>
File: tumblr_ngpq8kU2Gq1t5fphqo4_500.gif (2MB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngpq8kU2Gq1t5fphqo4_500.gif
2MB, 500x300px
>>47569138
My wife's a biologist. We'd probably end up growing it, spreading samples around, and generally behaving like Delta Green's nightmare civilians.
>>
File: Stiff Upper Lip.png (1MB, 1465x315px) Image search: [Google]
Stiff Upper Lip.png
1MB, 1465x315px
>>
Would having two groups of beyond human powers fighting each other make both less frightening? Or could you do it where they both remain equally horrifying and beyond comprehension?

I'm thinking of making a setting where Elder Gods throw down with Super-Skynet Seed AIs.
>>
>>47569180
...what is THAT?
>>
File: tumblr_ngpq8kU2Gq1t5fphqo3_500.gif (1MB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngpq8kU2Gq1t5fphqo3_500.gif
1MB, 500x300px
>>47569421
These guys wanted to make compact shapes that naturally unfolded into complex ones. Imagine a ring of cells that could grow to be an life preserver, or an antennae, all just by setting initial conditions.

It's quite interesting. And quite ghastly as well.
>>
File: 1453357923177.gif (374KB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
1453357923177.gif
374KB, 250x140px
>>47569421
Nothing to concern yourself with.
>>
>>47568963
>that pic

mein zeids
>>
>>47569461
Kinda beautiful, but yeah, terrifying. Elder thing tier.
>>
File: tumblr_ngpq8kU2Gq1t5fphqo2_500.gif (1MB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngpq8kU2Gq1t5fphqo2_500.gif
1MB, 500x300px
>>47569877
They'd certainly be interesting for players to find. Rings that grow on contact with water to produce armour, or radios, or helium balloons, or stranger, more terrible things.
>>
File: Xanthous_set_equip.jpg (52KB, 235x507px) Image search: [Google]
Xanthous_set_equip.jpg
52KB, 235x507px
>>47569912
>>
>>47568981
>"best" case scenarion, everybody gets hyper-pregnant, probably with something with tentacles
You make that sound like a bad thing
>>
this question gets asked quite often but which lovecraft stories would make decent films?
>>
>>47570583
I honest to god think that Dreamquest would make a kickass animated children's film. Studio Ghibli style.

The main problem with
Lovecraft is that everything is seriously lacking in dialogue. So much of his narrative relies on visuals and explanation. That said, best candidates are Innsmouth and Mountains in my opinion. Mountains would need some filling out, but a while ago I started a rough draft of how a plot outline might go.
>>
>>47570583

maybe quite a few of them, as he saves the reveal until the end, which works well for monsters. pickman's model mite b gud. or mountains of madness, as anon said - it's a fairly straight narrative. call of cthulhu would be a bitch - it's got, what, 2 or 3 layers of story-within-story.
>>
>>47570705
It really depends what Anon means by films, if he just means like made into full acted pieces then tonnes of them. There is a really good one of the Whisperers in Darkness.

If he means like a full-length feature then not quite so many as most of the plot-lines are quite shallow and linear. The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward or perhaps the Dunwich Horror could maybe work if spun the right way and maybe the Mountains of Maddness if alot more narration about the mission and the dynamics between artic team were explored more.
>>
>>47568770
Only because we aren't the race they are going to mind swap into when their current lot hits an apocalypse, it will totally suck for the beetlemen (I think they were the next swap) that get their entire race forced body swapped.
>>
>>47570604
Shadow over Innsmouth got an adaptation, the plot of The World's End was basically a modern adaptation of shadow over innsmouth
>>
>>47570973

good point about the length, a lot of them don't really have enough stuff happening to stretch out that long
>>
>>47568209
Thing is Anon, you NEED to win the game at least twice iirc, first to unblock the hard difficulty and then again to unlock the mythos difficulty, only then you can get the real ending.

>>47568397
Whoa, didn't know that part of the dev story. It's impressive because of what the game somehow managed to be (with the patch), and sad because of what we'll never have.
>>
>>47568207
>No references to my main man Hastur
Oh, woe is me. Will Hastur ever be noticed in all of his Xanthous glory
>>
>>47554065
IMO /ysg/ Yog-Sothothery General it's better.

>>47568397
This is sad as fuck, it's one of my favorite games even with those horrible bugs.
>>
>>47572373
>IMO /ysg/ Yog-Sothothery General it's better.

Or simply Lovecraft General.
But unfortunately that sounds very /lit/.
>>
>>47572409

kos general
>>
>>47572455

kosm general
>>
What about CultistMeetingGeneral? /cmg/
>>
>>47570604
Apparently there actually is a Dreamquest animation. Found it online but couldn't get the download to work.

I agree that it would actually make a really good Ghibbli film. It's got a potential for kickass visuals, and the story isn't actually far from the tone of some of the Ghibbli films (unlike most of Lovecraft's stuff it isn't horror, but instead an adventure story in a strange and wonderous place, with occasional darker moments).
>>
"We had journeyed into the rocky hills to the east as the command of our lord after rumors began to spread of a strange beast haunting the hills. We eventually located the beast's cave, identifiable by the malformed rocks in its vicinity, evidence of some foul corruption or unnatural force. We sat and waited until, from the cave, emerged a long serpentine body, its sections of armour-like scales shifting and causing its every movement to be accompanied by the sound of scraping metal and stone. And then the beast breathed, its exhalation a foul miasma which blackened and warped the ground in front of the beast, as though it had been touched by an invisible flame of intense heat. It was at this point we fled, although behind me I became aware of a sound of a sail unfurling and then of colossal wingbeats. One of the members of our party screamed out in pain, I didn't dare look back to see what became of him, I would warn anyone to stay away from that accursed cave, and I pray to any god who will listen that the beast doesn't journey far."

So I've decided to start a small project of writing descriptions of various fantasy creatures in the style of Lovecraft's description of his monsters. I'm taking suggestions/request if anyone has any.

Also while I'm here, are there any systems people know of which do mythos magic well, I've always liked it as an element of eldritch horror but I don't know what system does it well.
>>
>>47568900

See, this guy gets it.
>>
>>47572489
>I agree that it would actually make a really good Ghibbli film.

Plus the ending is pretty Ghibli-esque. Fuck being a great king, queen, or god. What people actually want is the little villages they grew up in.
>>
>>47568981
I'll admit it doesn't make tons of sense. I was just trying to think of a ritual that could somehow fit in with The Network's plan and Shubnig was the Lovecraftian deity that immediately sprung to mind for sex related stuff.
>>
>>47569069
Found out the other day he only died the year following Robert Howard's death.
>>
File: 1336958277668.gif (1MB, 307x244px) Image search: [Google]
1336958277668.gif
1MB, 307x244px
>>47572466
>Orphan of KOS
Kosm fags BTFO
>>
File: Shub-Niggurath.jpg (67KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
Shub-Niggurath.jpg
67KB, 400x550px
Eldritch Bump
>>
>>47570583
>which lovecraft stories would make decent films?
Mountains of Madness for one. There was this Radio Play production that was absolutely spectacular and I could totally see it getting made as a movie.
There were a number of shorts that were pretty good. Rats in the walls, Pickman's Model, et cetera.
>>
>>47554574
>>47554574
>and higher-dimensional mathematics
A lot of the hardest mathematics takes place in 3 and 4 dimensions. I suppose 4D is higher dimensional by our 3D standards, but spacetime is 4D so maybe not.
Topology in particular is hardest in 3&4D, because 1&2 dimensions are just too simple, but you can't employ surgery theory, which make manipulating higher dimensional topological spaces quite simple (and algebraic). The topology of 3 manifolds is a very geometrical topic - you have to use geometry to study these spaces, which is a lot harder than the algebra used in higher dimensional surgery.
Look up: the Whitney trick, and Casson handles if you're feeling brave, and want to know why 4 dimensional spaces are so weird.
>>
>>47569052
Funnily enough, he and Sonia Greene forgot to sign the last bit of paperwork to finalize the divorce.
>>
File: 025.png (611KB, 1393x2000px) Image search: [Google]
025.png
611KB, 1393x2000px
Stupid sexy Shub-Niggurath
>>
>>47572979
"We were making our way across the plains when one of the boys looking after the houses started shouting about a light in the sky, when I looked over there was definitely something brighter than any star. Then I noticed it appeared to be coming closer, I ducked just as the ball of light and flame came within inches of my head. Squinting at the ball I saw two gouts of flame erupt as the orb seemed to unfurl, spreading like a bird in flight. Accompanying this was a new wave of heat and a cry, the screeches of a thousand burning beasts, the sole horse which hadn't bolted did so now, and like a spark rising from a bonfire the creature rose and vanished from sight."

"I trecked through the forest, following my usual game trails, late at night. I stopped when a heard a noise, when I looked I saw the stumbling silhouette of a man, I presumed him to be a lost traveler and called out, then the moon came out and bathed him in light. What I saw next is hard to explain, I was correct in my original observation about it having the shape of a man, but no man has hands elongated and sharp as his were, and in the light of the moon seemingly caked in dark blood. His flesh was torn and scarred, as though ripped apart from the inside, his face twisted into a bestial form, in a mixture of pain, fear and fury. He released a roar, showing as he did so his enlarged fangs, clearly far overgrown for his still human-sized jaw, and leaped. I don't know whether it was luck, the protection of some god, or my own skill which let me evade it, but I started sprinting and didn't stop until I had returned to the village."
>>
>>47570995
Well then that would make the beetle-men bros after the swap, wouldn't it.
>>
>>47561827

For a moment, I thought that was a Loss.jpg edit.
>>
>>47576617
s-sauce?
>>47575075
Imagine that shit.

Earth just mindig its own business, and some dark eldritch shit bumping into the Earth, scraping a huge part off of it, and just moving on like when someone scrapes a finger and doesn't notice. Just a small bump for it.

Also, I always imagined Shub-Niggerwrath as a black goat with its hair being tentacles. Her spawn. But that's probably wrong. If I would see Shubby, would I see it as such, or as an unimaginable and undescribable creature?
>>
Which book would you guys recommend as a introduction to the genre?
>>
>>47577561
>s-sauce?
http://exhentai.org/g/891908/c596b71d64/
>>
File: roadside-picnic-new1.jpg (694KB, 971x1500px) Image search: [Google]
roadside-picnic-new1.jpg
694KB, 971x1500px
>>47577561
>Earth just mindig its own business, and some dark eldritch shit bumping into the Earth, scraping a huge part off of it, and just moving on like when someone scrapes a finger and doesn't notice. Just a small bump for it.

Have you read Roadside Picnic? Essentially that's what happens, and humanity is left to deal with the fallout.

As for the Lord of the Wood, she's never actually described by Lovecraft. Even the beast we know as the Dark Young came from someone else's story. And it was meant to be a Shoggoth.
>>
>>47577742
God damn the book was good
>>
>>47577713
Personally I'd say "At the mountains of madness"
>>
>>47563076

That still doesn't answer the question. You just say "loltheyaredifferent" instead of listing the actual differences.
>>
>>47570583
The Color out of Space would be pretty horrifying as a short fiim. You wouldn't have the usual problem of not being able to depict the imagery correctly since you don't need to put anything in the story actually on focus, you can just allude at the Color. And the concept of a cheerful, idyllic rural town degenerating into a grotesque alien enviroment really bring the point of Lovecraft home without the cultural baggage of stuff involving the Old Ones
>>
>>47577946
Check out Die Farbe. It's an adaptation of Color Out of Space, only set in Germany.
>>
>>47577742
Yeah, I've read it.
It's a great read. I could never really understand the ending, emotionally.
The dad sacrifices, MC accepts, kid dies while screaming HAPPINESS FOR ALL. He could've saved the kid, but money was more important to him? Like when he had the perpetuum mobile rings? I understand why he did it, and how it happened, but it still leaves me sad, and I do not know why. Fuck.
>>
>>47577993
Of course, that's the benefit of a Black and White film. You don't have to worry about portraying a colour that doesn't exist.
>>
>>47577851
not him but to try and be a bit more helpful:
>cosmic horror any story where the horror comes from the universal insignificance of humanity
>Lovecraftian horror is specifically the mythos, as well as HPL's more specific brand of cosmic horror + weird sci-fi + vague narrative style + madness as a major threat
>>
>>47577561
>>47577742
Lovecraft apparently described Shub-Niggurath in one of his letters as "a black, cloudlike entity that's the wife of Yog-Sothot". The standard deciption is a big black mass of mouths, hooves and tentacles.

>>47576617
That's not a very good Shub, even assuming she'd take a human avatar (even Yog-Sothot takes one occasionally, like the form Randolf Carter meets, but Shub never really stuck me as a deity that would bother doing that; her thing is more about life and nature). She's suppose to be the All-Mother and associate with the concepts of life and fertility on an elemental level (ie. she doesn't so much embody life, as she literally is Life). I'd expect any human form to look heavily pregnant, or probably like one of those ancient fertility idols (come to think of it, in the Mythos universe, I'd give pretty good odds those actually decipt an avatar of Shub-Niggurath; The weird proportions, lack of face etc. aren't stylistic reasons but because that's what the avatar looks like).
>>
>>47577851
....because one is a subcategory of the other you colossal wheel of dick-cheese.

my original point is that one is a broader spectrum of defining tropes and one is a narrowed array of tropes within that spectrum made more selective by tagging it to a single creator.

so once again, lovecraftian horror tends to be cosmic horror, but by a large margin, not all cosmic horror is lovecraftian.
>>
>>47578046
It wasn't about money. He was losing everything, and felt this was one great last score... the golden sphere. But well, to reach it the meatgrinder needs to be dormant. And it only goes dormant when it's had a victim.
His daughter's no longer human, his father's still a corpse, even if he's moving. Red had nothing, and thought that the sphere could give him something.

Of course, in the end, he can't think of anything, so he can only repeat the wish of the kid he sacrificed to get there.
>>
>>47578054
They made everything else in black and white, but the Colour is purple. Works pretty well, as it makes it not matching the pallet used in the rest of the film makes it clear that it's an alien thing that doesn't correspond to any color normally found in the universe.
>>
>>47566132
No it doesn't you fuck.
There is nothing remotely lovecraftian about shitorias' story.
>>
File: Shub.png (6MB, 2268x1478px) Image search: [Google]
Shub.png
6MB, 2268x1478px
>>47578125
For depictions of her in a human manner, the Ephesian Artemis is probably a good idea.
>>
If you can find it, Dirt Dauber is a pretty good short film.
>>
>>47578080
The whole madness thing is actually kind of exagerated by other, non-Lovecraft writers. There's a few characters in HPL's books who're reduced to gibbering wrecks as their minds just break, but most of them actually get over it and are left functional, but deeply traumatized. There's also multiple characters that skip the "babble nonsense in the corner" and go straight to the PTSD stage. The whole "roll Sanity or die from shock/be permanently reduced to babbling lunatic" thing is heavily exagerated compared to the original stories, and is probably partly because of the prelevanse of the sanity mechanic in the CoC RPG.
>>
>>47578245
I'm aware, however the idea of mental trauma as a major threat to the character instead of physical trauma was still a part of Lovecraft's stories,
>>
>>47569912
>>47569461
>>47569180

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HI8FerKr6Q&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>47578245

>tripfag cancer calling someone else a wheel of dick-cheese

Kek.

Anyways, you're arguing semantics. Lovecraftian horror is not exclusively things that have to do with the mythos. Anyone that knows passing information about horror literature knows that. Lovecraft practically invented cosmic horror, which is why cosmic horror is synonymous with Lovecraftian horror. His impact on the genre is so ingrained that most cosmic horror stories that have nothing to do with the Cthulhu Mythos have the same themes that Lovecraft exemplified. All it is is a brand of horror derived from the philosophical principle of cosmicism.

Look up cosmic horror and one of the first things that comes up is - surprise! - Lovecratian horror.

Stop acting like a pedantic know-it-all.
>>
>>47578590
>>47578147

Linked wrong post, but my point still stands.
>>
>>47578163
Manus
>>
File: Resident.jpg (75KB, 536x302px) Image search: [Google]
Resident.jpg
75KB, 536x302px
>>47578163
The Inhabitants of once far Oolacile turned into this
>>
File: Manus.png (835KB, 1134x1059px) Image search: [Google]
Manus.png
835KB, 1134x1059px
>>47578827
*fair
They giggle madly or cry in pain, they also have cultist variants but I'm too lazy to find it

Anyways in Souls, Humanity is the Abomination who corrupts all it it's path because their souls got fucked up
>>47578773
Also this complete asshat forgot a picture
>>
File: Ceaseless_Discharge.png (536KB, 624x614px) Image search: [Google]
Ceaseless_Discharge.png
536KB, 624x614px
>>47578773
>>47578827
>>47578905
So what? There is nothing remotely lovecraftian about Manus or Oolacile denisens.
Morbid/disfigured-looking != lovecraftian.
That's like saying a presence of anything with a tentacle in the plot qualifies for lovecraftian story. Are pirate of the caribbean movies lovecraftian now? Is Berserk lovecraftian? Diablo series?
Just stop. I can understand and fully accept Bloodborne being set in a lovecraftian universe, because that's just what it really is, it's pretty obvious where Memezaki was drawing inspiration from, but Dark Souls/Oolacile plotline? Come the fuck on.
>>
>>47578827
At least they aren't fish people
>>
File: nfgnfgn.jpg (96KB, 600x527px) Image search: [Google]
nfgnfgn.jpg
96KB, 600x527px
>>47578827
I mean yeah it looks sort of eldritch, but there really isn't much of a correlation to what the Abyss was compared to what Eldritch horrors were. Artorias was possessed by the Abyss, the only real major abomination was Manus and there isn't really very much sea-like appearance about him unless you somehow consider the hand in teeth thing that. The Abyss largely is much more of an original creation by Miyazaki, where as the many creatures in Bloodborne are adaptations of eldritch horrors and stories.

At the same time, there are dozens of other similar tells with some terrible aura that possesses, destroys and transforms beings much like the Abyss did to Oolacile, so saying that the Abyss is like some Eldritch horror is like saying all of those are too.
>>
>>47578944
I can see where they're coming from. It's a story about a group of people dabbling in something beyond their knowledge and as a result bringing ruin to their civilisation and the deformity of their people. However, overall Oolacile and the Abyss is more of a "the dark nature of man" story rather than a "great uncaring universe" story. I know Lovecraft dabbled a lot in fear and other primal emotions, but his work focused a lot more on stuff external to humanity rather than within it, so I don't think they're right to say it "screams Lovecraft."
>>
>>47554065

But "evil" isn't a thing, it's just a concept humans came up with to describe behavior they strongly disapprove of. Certainly Nyarlathotep is "evil" by the measures of most moral systems but that doesn't actually mean anything, it doesn't really describe reality in any meaningful way. What was your argument that he was evil?
>>
>>47578944
I'm more saying they drew from Lovecraft, not they are Lovecraftian. I feel a definite vibe from it. They unearth Manus who was primeval man and do... things to him causing his soul to spiral out of control and become the Manus we all know and love. His influence creeps in and begins to warp the denizens of Oolacile driving them mad. Anyways it was Eldritch maybe would be the better word. But yeah I can see that you chums are right
>>47578944
>>47578979
>>47579007
>>
>>47579095
You hit the nail on the head, we can consider him evil. That is it, other Anon was saying that he can't be consider he was evil because he was an Eldritch Spoop.
>>
>>47562524

They are synonyms. "Lovecraftian" doesn't mean it's set in his same setting if that is what is confusing you, it's literally just another name for cosmic horror as in horror in the style of Lovecraft.
>>
>>47578590
>Look up cosmic horror and one of the first things that comes up is - surprise! - Lovecratian horror.
...because it's the most well-known example of cosmic horror and writers emulate him frequently because he's the best known example.

>tripfag
wow, you must be new...
get your terms right.
>>
>>47578944
What do you think of Aldritch, the Devourer of Gods?
>>
>>47565622

The presentation of the Dark Souls (only seen the first one) is quite Lovecraftian though. Bizarre, poorly described horrors spending an apparent eternity lingering in the shadows of some forgotten ruins. You can ruin it for yourself by digging too much but it certainly starts that way.
>>
>>47579318
Yo Mono, chill. Can't you both just agree to disagree?
>>
>>47579460
here perhaps, at least he isn't Rape-anon...

that guy IS scum...
>>
>>47578125
Wait, Randy met Yog-Sothot? Fucking when? I have to re-read all of this shit.
>>
>>47579479
Thanks. Now, we need to speak of the appalling lack of Yog-Sothothery related smut. I wish to be aroused by something I can't fully comprehend. And please Yog-Sothoth and Wilbur's mother is hardly arousing.
>>
>>47578148
I genuinely thought he liked his family, due to very heavy delusions. Fuck. Happiness for all it is then. I-is that even a good thing?
>>
>>47579607
Define a good thing?

Good for them, or him?
>>
>>47579412
>cannibal priest
>ate so much he turned into a blob of grease
What about him?
>>
>>47579693
Just was curious upon your opinion
>>
>>47579663
Just in general for humanity, that everyone gets to be happy:) .
>>
>>47579794
Legitimately happy or forced to be happy?
>>
>>47579854
Well, either.
Consider the following:
Happiness in this case meaning everyone gets everything they ever wanted to be happy, no matter the clashes. Just for one moment everyone gets what they want to be happy. Hell breaks loose.

Or everyone is forced to be happy forever. Endorfin 24/7
>>
>>47579900
I'll take the second one. It fits my fetishes.
>>
>>47579965
Sounds like a dull fetish. Everyone happy? Come on, fa/tg/uy, you can do better.
>>
>>47554623
You should avoid derlth then, he has lovecraft book collections referenced by name.
>>
>>47579995
>not avoiding Derleth because he's fucking Dereleth
>>47579976
Hey, I'm happy against my will. It's kinky enough
>>
>>47579434
>>47579434
I frankly must agree, it's stylistically similar to Lovecraft

Eldritch Bump
>>
>>47580584
I think the whole lovecraftian is tacked on, other writers fit the bill way better. Lovecraftian just sounds hip as fuck, geezers yo, mamababy.
>>
File: b6RqIFU.gif (7MB, 360x210px) Image search: [Google]
b6RqIFU.gif
7MB, 360x210px
>>47573065
Thanks.
>>
>>47579607
That's part of the problem. He does love them. But there's a very human fear within that love.

His daughter's becoming less and less understandable every day. They don't even classify her as human any more.
His wife is distressed by the entire situation.
And his father... it's like senility. The body's him, but it's like a shell. No spark behind the eyes.
>>
>>47580707
>based Strugatsky's creating complex relationships

Shouldn't this be on /lit/ instead?
>>
File: Map of Picnic Sites.png (773KB, 1113x1586px) Image search: [Google]
Map of Picnic Sites.png
773KB, 1113x1586px
>>47580925
There's an RPG, it's /tg/ related.
>>
>>47577561
The AD&D description of Shub-Niggurath and all other Lovecraft creatures and gods is the best ever, scope this hot science.
>>
File: shub.niggurath.png (782KB, 845x553px) Image search: [Google]
shub.niggurath.png
782KB, 845x553px
>>47580982
Hastur is a kaiju. Shub Nub is a goopy puddle that spews out monsters.
>>
File: Abhoth.png (5MB, 2268x1478px) Image search: [Google]
Abhoth.png
5MB, 2268x1478px
>>47580982
It's a terrible description of Shub-Niggurath.

Mainly because they're describing Abhoth.
>>
>>47581036
Just about to say that. Wasn't Abhoth more likely to be confused/combined with Azathoth
>>
>>47581036
That's why it's such hot fire.
>>
>>47581036
The alignments are true though. Azathoth as CE(N), Nyarlathotep as NE, the Great Race of Yith as LN. Checks out.
>>
>>47580982
>Elder Thing
>Lawful Evil

I am outraged.
>>
Have something an anon brewed up a while back.

He had an addendum with some 5e mythos races, but I didn't save that version unfortunately.
>>
>>47581227
Sign me up for either Yog-Sothtoh or Nyarly this is pretty awesom-
>no Hastur
1 Star
Well done friendo
>>
>>47581197
Maybe making Shoggoths and enslaving them is evil. Dissecting humans is fair play, turnabout style. They were MEN themselves. Clearly lawful though.
>>
>>47581405
Probably

We need new bread
>>
>>47581197
Whatever they worshiped over at that other, higher mountain range seems like a bit of a sonofabitch.
>>
New Cycle everyone
>>47581698
>>47581698
>>47581698
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.