[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wbg/ Worldbuilding General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 42

File: aquilia.jpg (2MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
aquilia.jpg
2MB, 3300x2550px
Flags of Our Fathers Edition

Some worldbuilding resources:

On designing cultures:
http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Random generators:
http://donjon.bin.sh/

Mapmaking tutorials:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Free mapmaking toolset:
www.inkarnate.com

Random Magic Resources/Possible Inspiration:
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
http://www.buddhas-online.com/mudras.html
http://sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Conlanging:
http://www.zompist.com/resources/

Random (but useful) Links:
http://futurewarstories.blogspot.ca/
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
http://military-sf.com/
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
http://kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books/europe#wiki_middle_ages
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding

>Pick a nation in your world
>What does their flag look like?
>What do the different colors and/ord symbols represent?
>If they don't have a flag, what is the nation's greatest Symbol?

Post Flags!
>>
File: Map.png (76KB, 474x449px) Image search: [Google]
Map.png
76KB, 474x449px
>>47526603
Is anyone able to identify the program used to make this map?

I've used it before, but forgotten the name sadly.
>>
>>47526773
http://www.hexographer.com/
>>
File: Good show.gif (498KB, 355x230px) Image search: [Google]
Good show.gif
498KB, 355x230px
>>47526812
Cheers m8
>>
File: brasconne.jpg (1MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
brasconne.jpg
1MB, 3300x2550px
Looking for your opinions. Flag A?
>>
File: brasconne 2.jpg (1MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
brasconne 2.jpg
1MB, 3300x2550px
>>47527172
Flag B?
>>
>>47527172
in what respect do you want our opinion?

I mean, aesthetically, the flag isn't great. You can't see the sun from far away on the white, there are so many fucking lillies on it that it would be cumbersome to replicate and difficult to make out from afar.

But if it makes historical sense, bad flags happen all the time, so do what makes most sense.

The colours are nice and contrasting though.
>>
>>47527212
>sun, lillies
Yeah that's a concern. Visibility obviously matters for flags.

I like to have lots of different opinions on things I do. Can't improve unless I know what's shit.

>colours
>not colors
Sup Britbong. How's your day going so far?
>>
>>47527261
>Sup Britbong. How's your day going so far?
#notyouranglosphere
Don't have to be from there to use the queen's English. I do get red squiggly lines under it though.

But do consider that while visibility is an issue, often it's just done badly. So tell me:

>What's the nation like?

>What do the colours denote, what the symbols?

>Who decided on the flag? Was it a comity? A ruler? the union of two previous flags?

>Is it a national flag, a royal flag, a naval flag, a war flag...?
>>
>>47527172
Make the sun bigger, change its colour to something orange-ish , draw an outline to it and it will be a pretty damn good flag
>>
>>47527172
>>47527181
I prefer the first one, simply because it's easier to draw. Remove the lilies and make the sun more akin to, say, the Argentinian one. Make the circle at least as wide as the white band.

Also, more importantly, did you partition the sections according to sensible integer ratios? That's a primary part of good mapmaking! (Use 3:1:3 from top to bottom; in medieval times splitting sections into 7 was pretty common. Also, your aspect ratio is disgusting. Get to 1:2, 3:5, or 5:8 mate.)

Otherwise, looks not that bad. The base design is simple enough to be recognisable; the rest is just details.
>>
I'm making a Science Fiction setting and letting some people have Psychic powers, but only one power per psychic.

Will this help stop the space wizard problem of psychic powers?
>>
>>47527556
What is space wizard problem?

Personally, I really only have problem when fantasy overlaps with itself. Like you get both superscience and magic doing the same thing - what's the point. Just having psychic powers person-on-person while leaving ships alone seems perfectly reasonable for me.
>>
>>47527556
You could replace psychics entirely with mental implants using technobabble. You install different things, but as each module can only do one thing, you only get one 'power'.

Like, that power could be telekinesis. Mental implant responds to brain impulses and creates a forcefield through MAGNETS, that lifts an object. Done.

Either make it permanent, or allow you to switch out modules. You can get more modules for more money, but you run the risk of suffering brain damage through effective lobotomy.
>>
File: ph.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ph.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
Rate this shitty fantasy world I made fellas
>>
>>47527685
It's actually pretty good, from a geographical perspective. My only comment would be about the weird lake south-east of the Grassy Side, and the other one further south than that one. The contours are gonna be pretty weird over there, y'know.
>>
>>47527685
Them hella sweet coastlines and continents, gotta say that. But this map seems to be only of the northern hemisphere, right? Or is there some kind of setting mumbo jumbo that alters the climates of the world?
>>
>>47527710

Yeah they just didn't look right to me in the first place.
What's the matter exactly? No inlets? I tried to picture the second one as a salt lake, but truth is I just felt that country was short on lakes.
>>
>>47527759
Also I would add some kind of river flowing from the U-shaped valley west from the Golden Praire
>>
>>47527172
>>47527181
With such a thin white bar, B.

Sun's too small and fiddly, and barely shows up against the white. A good benchmark for flags is to ask yourself if the elementary school kids will be able to draw it somewhat properly. Go look the heraldic tincture rules as well, not because you need to follow them, but because they're based on what makes shit highly visible, which flag designs should be.
>>
OK, so I'm going to redraw my map over to make more sense. What is the best way to place nomadic culture. Some requirements for grassy plains and no woods?
>>
>>47527792
no requirements. But most likely they will stay nomadic in INFERTILE lands with HARSH TEMPERATURES and no expansionist neighbors.
>>
>>47527759
I was going to have the southern continent all cloaked in ice and snow, but then I realized I didn't know what to put on it, so I just moved everything a couple meridians north. Then again, I realized it was impossible since the equator was already settled, and said "fuck this, I'll just go with the mumbo jumbo."
>>
>>47527772
That's where the elven capital should be. I suppose a river wouldn't hurt tho.
>>
>>47527833
The way I'm placing them, they are bound to be temperate, and I don't really see a way to change it without dismantling the rest of my geography. So I probably have to go dry? Or can land just be infertile for no good reason? Just bad geological luck?
>>
File: Gc01.jpg (4MB, 4135x4505px) Image search: [Google]
Gc01.jpg
4MB, 4135x4505px
>>47527768
Inland lakes are pretty rare, because it requires there to be a spoon-like shape, if you imagine the land working that way. That doesn't tend to form, as you'd either need a ring of mountains (see western China through to the -stans, etc.), or some seriously messed up soil. On islands, that's never gonna happen unless you have an atoll: a ring of coral which can rise up to form a bowel-like shape.

Your islands seem to be formed by either volcanic ridges, or tectonics along a fault line. Either way, it's gonna be pretty basic elevation: centre is highest, steadily going down to the sea, with large dips for valleys (see pic related).

The only way I'd accept that lower lake would be if, either side of it, there were a sandbank rather than 'solid' land. That way it'd just be a way that the waves force sediment to pile up, rather than geography causing a weird dip that SOMEHOW held water (not draining through the soil) indefinitely.

As you can see from pic related (Gran Canaria in the Canaries; it's a good example island for its simple shape), rivers go from the centre outwards. That's just it. I would be able to explain things better, but with the single-image requirement for 4chan it's gonna be difficult.
>>
>>47527896
Well american plains are temperate if I'm not mistaken. Not all the natives from up there were nomads, but some of them sure were.
You can make them dislike agriculture for some reason, if they're human it could be a challenge, but whatever, it's your setting, you probably can find a reason.
>>
File: brasconne 3.jpg (378KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
brasconne 3.jpg
378KB, 3300x2550px
>>47527363
>What's the nation like?
Brasconne is a major agricultural and cultural center. Its capital is powered by an actual angel (some of their enemies claim it is just a corpse), and it has until recently been seen as a major player in world politics.
>What do the colours denote, what the symbols?
The Blue is a Royal color, with the Gold Sun representing God and the gold fleurs supposed to combine the concept of Royal and Divine. The Red is alternatively the Blood of Patriots, a representation of the underclass supporting the monarchy, or a reminder of the blood spilled to retain the Ardish colonies to the South (analogous to the Hundred Years War, but reversed).
>Who decided on the flag? Was it a comity? A ruler? the union of two previous flags?
It is a union between the old Blue Royal Flag, and a more religious Red with Sun flag.
>Is it a national flag, a royal flag, a naval flag, a war flag...?
Flag represents the nation as a whole, but grew out of a royal flag.

>>47527430
>>47527790
Tried to go with a 3:1:3 colorwise for pic related. And swapped the sun. Better? Worse?
>>
File: 1464638701605.png (148KB, 244x280px) Image search: [Google]
1464638701605.png
148KB, 244x280px
>>47527931
Quick sketch of how I'd do it. Feel free to interpret.
>>
File: brasconn 4e.jpg (383KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
brasconn 4e.jpg
383KB, 3300x2550px
>>47527967
Less shitty sun. Apologies.
>>
>>47527896
again, there are no requirements. You can just have nomads because. Geographical determinism isn't something you should adhere to as it's crap.

But maybe look at Hugnary: Super fertile huge plains between mountains, and they stayed nomads longer than you'd expect, simply because their heritage was from the nomadic horse tribes of Asia.
>>
>>47527931

Alright thank you. So what if the continent and the lower peninsula are connected by a large sandbank with the weird lake at his center?
Anyway I find difficult to imagine a beach THAT large to be honest, so I'll probably just erase the lake and put something else there.
>>
>>47527956
I could, but it'd be a weird fiat.

It seems plains like this tend to form inland. I could just stick someone at the coast. That'd show everyone.
>>
>>47527992
outlines round the sun would be great, black ones. But it's already pretty good, although the thin white line will disappear over some dostance. But as it's a national flag, that's not gonna be as important as the symbolism. There are some terrible national flags.
>>
>>47527969
If you viewed north-south, the land would appear wavy from rivers and valleys from the mountains. The ones I drew are only examples; just expect a tree-like structure extending back into the mountains, and the rivers should flow RELATIVELY straight. Path of least resistance and all, and that's usually a straight line to the sea for islands.

But, yeah, I'd like to also congratulate you on your coastlines. They're really good, now that I'm looking more closely.

>>47528022
Well, I don't really know your scale. If those are continents, then just make it two separate islands, I'd say.
>>
>>47527967
from all this, it sounds like it's the perfect set up for a horrifically ugly flag - Two flags get combined (both of course want their overdesigned shit in), it used to be a royal flag (So overdesign isn't even something anybody considered bad, as you'd see it from far closer than any other flags) and it's an agricultural country, not one for great designs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 1167x700px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 1167x700px
>>47527967
Uh, by 3:1:3 ratio I sort of meant this...
>>
>>47528041
>>47527969

Makes sense. They were two separate islands actually, I just connected them because of reasons. Gonna split them up and set Pengar straight, wasn't very good from the beginning.

And thanks dude!
(captcha: select rivers)
>>
File: brasconne 5.jpg (363KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
brasconne 5.jpg
363KB, 3300x2550px
>>47528090
Ahh. I see. Something more akin to this?
>>
>>47528204
No problem. If it helps, I've got lots of PDFs on the subject.
https://mega.nz/#F!gAIyAbga!RcG2zgUbz6VYa8fCCtxfKg

>>47528235
Yeah, like that. I'd personally remove the border, but that's your choice. If you really want to be flag Nazi, you'd then specify proportions relative to the stripes for the circle of the sun, and then the rays... but I'm not sure if you want to go into that much detail. In general, I make my flags in GIMP at around 5000x3000, so every proportion is a nice round number, and then convert to .svg for mobility.
>>
File: 496494648194.jpg (672KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
496494648194.jpg
672KB, 1920x1080px
How would you guys give the modern day U.S. military back into a Vietnam aesthetic?

Have had this idea on the back burner the world gets consumed by plant life and the last remnants of the U.S. military fight for control and order this leads to a fanatical religious faction who take the new worlds form as a blessing from Gaia and fight to preserve the planet in its new form.

I always could go the lazy route an say this happened in the 70s so the technology and tactics wouldn't need to change but the entire thing will just "Army Vs. Zealot hippies"
>>
>>47528317
>In general, I make my flags in GIMP at around 5000x3000, so every proportion is a nice round number, and then convert to .svg for mobility.
I'll look into doing that, though I use Photoshop, and so far I can't seem to make or use .svg's. I am using standard US Paper proportions turned sideways, mostly as it's convenient for printing out for players (all material in general).
>>
>>47528336
Demoralized bunch of conscripts not knowing what they are fighting for? Don't really think it's something fitting setting where world is consumed by plants.

Talking about plants. Imagine what would happen if trees just grew everywhere overnight. No roads, 'cause trees grew from them, no farms, they are now forests, your home is now a treehouse and probably falling apart due to being torn from foundation. People have to be hunter-gatherers now. Only in permafrost and deserts civilization survived. Also in oceans because even tallest trees can't reach surface.
>>
>>47528456

Well I said aesthetic not political and social problems of the time.
>>
File: Magic System and Sources.png (74KB, 1365x605px) Image search: [Google]
Magic System and Sources.png
74KB, 1365x605px
I could use a second opinion on my magic system.

The power source for my magic comes from the sun, though I'm not sure if I'm going to have the light be the powersource or if the light just carries mana, or something.

Anyway, magic users can draw mana/energy/the-stuff-that-powers-magic from one of three sources: the sun, the earth/planet, or the moon(s?). The type of magical energy a person uses determines how it can be used.
Attached pic details what type of mana/magic does what.

Solar energy is the pure form. It arrives via light and is considered often "holy" magic. Being pure, it has the most power available, though its applications are somewhat limited.

Terrestrial magic/mana originally comes from the sun, but is absorbed by the earth. When filtered in this way, the mana changes to be physical in nature.
Has the "middle" amount of energy, but the fewest applications.

Lunar mana actually comes in two flavors: mana reflected (which works a bit like regular solar mana), and mana absorbed by the moon.
The amount of energy available is low (because not much is reflected and the "earthy" type is far away and hard to get), and this type is difficult to use since you essentially have to mix both types to use Luna spells.

When the types are mixed, Solar mana essentially powers up the other two types, so Solar/Terrestrial is really strong terrestrial magic and Solar/Lunar is really strong lunar magic.
Lunar/Terrestrial, however, is more evenly mixed.

Mixing all three is very powerful, but is going to be reserved for main villains and such. Players will typically mix two types, though Terrestrial/Earth is ideally suited to warrior types.

I can provide clarity if needed.
Trying to decide if I should scrap the whole thing or if it's worth sticking with.
>>
>>47528454
.svgs are great for flags, since they scale perfectly to ANY size, have a tiny filesize, and work best with images of solid colours (like flags). You could make it in a vector-based editor, like Illustrator or Inkscape, but I just make a large .png and then convert to .svg using http://vectormagic.com/ .

Anyway, the actual workings of Photoshop and GIMP are more or less identical, so you should be able to do basically the same stuff in both. Creatively, my only advice would be to do some background research: for flags, look up vexillology, and understand the basic concepts behind it (which is, like, 5 minutes of reading). It's certainly made it a lot easier for me to just spurn out flags with 'cultural background' behind it. Good luck with the rest of your endeavours!

I secretly hate US paper sizes.
>>
>>47528801
Some of the descriptions don't seem to be necessary. The diagram in your picture explains the relationship perfectly, "There are 3 domains that overlap". For fluff reasons, I'd just have each entity be the source of the magic, and have Light be a carrier. Its worth keeping, just make sure its as simple as possible. If I were to describe it back to you, I'd say: The Sun is Holy and Benevolent because it shares its magic/light/knowledge with others, and so it works with healing, knowledge, etc. The Moon is conniving because it take's the Sun's light and uses it as its own power, perfect for illusions and trickery, the Earth is selfish and resilient because it draws power from itself for its own purposes, so that fits perfectly with buffing oneself..
>>
>>47528801
I'd personally move 'mental' powers over to Moon from Sun, such as divination, telepathy, etc. I like the idea of Sun being based on light (obviously), but you can go further than that and include things like heat, sound, and general energy.

Earth is the material world, Sun is the energetic world, Moon is the mental world.

I'd also personally disallow 'all', by saying that all three cancel out because reasons. But that's because I tend to really dislike 'universal' magic that can do basically everything, and prefer niche uses whose utility depend solely on the user's creativity and versatility.

You can consider each one being both positive and negative, too. Too much Earth and you become diseased, too little and you become famished. Too much Sun and you become burnt, to little and you become frozen. Too much Moon and you become mad, too little and you become 'mentally' frozen/apathetic/unthinking.

How does this magic work? Is it by oral spells, hand movements, innate abilities, learnt abilities, special artefacts, devotion to a higher power? I imagine you're going for a generic medieval fantasy world – is that going to be high or low fantasy?

Otherwise, nice and original (as far as I'm aware) on the outskirts. Just take care not to make the entire system unreasonably broken. I also require in my worldbuilding that suspension of disbelief only occurs on one or two things, and that everything else follows as a result of that fantastical element. So, depending on where magic's power originates, make sure that you don't overstep that, and allow it to force you to just shrug and say 'IT'S MAGIC'. That's an awful excuse. Never use it.
>>
>>47529499
That sounds pretty good. The descriptions in particular are just about spot on; I'll certainly make use of that in one form or another.
My thanks.

>>47529609
>I'd personally move 'mental' powers over to Moon from Sun, such as divination, telepathy, etc.
I agree in principle, but I'm having a hard time coming up with pure Sun powers as it is. I'll play with it a bit more.

>How does this magic work?
Depends on the spell/ability in question. The first step is always to pull the magic/mana/energy into one's body, but how it is used or expelled differs greatly.
Earth stuff tends to be fairly instinctual. Users draw the power into their bodies and whatever they focus on gets enhanced. So, someone trying to see something far away would draw from the earth and concentrate on seeing, then it would juts kind of happen. It takes a lot of training to get it right, however. As you said, too much or too little can be dangerous.
Sun magic is more like traditional spellcasting since most of its abilities are a bit abstract. Casters typically memorize complex... well, equations is the best way to describe it. They draw sun energy, then focus on the equation, and sort of "push" the energy through it. Keep in mind that this is a metaphor, but the equation/spell is like a mold. It shapes the energy into the spell.
Lunar stuff is a bit weird, and I don't have anything concrete with it yet.

There are artifacts as well. These are a bit like the magic items from WoT in that it takes a magic user to actually make use of one, but each can store some energy, so they're not always draining the user.

The setting is a rather arid with lots of deserts, and the aesthetic is mostly Persian/Babylonian: a few big empires and lots of independent cities and minor kingdoms.

That last point is a good warning, but if I ever get around to running it, all my PCs are probably going to use one form of magic or another.
>>
New to these threads, I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about ships. In my setting, geomancers can easily manipulate rock and strengthen it to the point of being like steel, would such a material be viable for making a ship? How come people in the age of sail never made their ships out of metal? Also, the setting is pre-industrial, but having wood-powered steam engines is a possibility. Does anyone know how many miles per gallon they would get, so to speak? I imagine that they'd only be good for short-range barges but I don't know.
>>
>>47530315
Aircraft carriers have been prototyped from ice and straw, so there's plenty of things to make ships from. Likewise, my university is known for performing well in Concrete Canoe competitions.

Metal was expensive, especially if you wanted to make a boat out of it. Some people might not have even thought it would float because they lacked a modern understanding of how buoyancy works.

Steam ships took around 4.5-14.5 tons of coal to run daily, and was quite expensive. Wood produces about 20% less power than coal, though charcoal is only about 3% difference. To get equivalent daily power, you'd need to increase the space the fuel would be taking.
>>
File: 1365779213352.jpg (656KB, 1980x1375px) Image search: [Google]
1365779213352.jpg
656KB, 1980x1375px
>>47528626

To be honest, the basic kit of a US soldier hasn't really changed much since Vietnam. Different materials are used, the shape of the standard-issue helmet has changed to accommodate NVDs, boots are now tan leather rather than polished black, and you've got armored vests to carry around, but it's otherwise the same sort of kit soldiers have been carrying for the past half-century.
>>
>>47530315
>>47530552
>Metal was expensive, especially if you wanted to make a boat out of it.
Absolutely this.
>they lacked a modern understanding of how buoyancy works.
Not actually true. In 1670, Francesco Lana de Terzi, a Jesuit priest, proposed a "vacuum" airship, which would theoretically use a contained vacuum to create lift. We still haven't found a way to make a container strong enough to hold back the outside pressure AND be lighter than the produced lift, but the idea is sound. They had a damn good understanding of buoyancy. They didn't make ships out of metal because, as you said, it was too expensive.
However, getting a water-tight seal on that much metal would have been nearly impossible without modern (late 1800s) welding or bolting.
>>
File: brasconne royale.jpg (904KB, 4000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
brasconne royale.jpg
904KB, 4000x2400px
>>47529482
Whelp. Vector won't play nice. Here's a new flag for the one here >>47528235
>>
File: aquilia.jpg (1MB, 5000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
aquilia.jpg
1MB, 5000x3000px
>>47530767
And another.
>>
>>47530767
>>47530833

If I'm honest, I kinda liked the original better, unless these are just different ensigns of the same nation. Simplicity is always better when it comes to the national colors.
>>
>>47530947
These two
>>47530767
>>47530833
are separate nations. If you meant this one: >>47528235
then I must ask why do you prefer the original? What makes it better?
>>
>>47531051

Ah, I saw some shared elements, like the sun symbol in the center, and assumed they belonged to the same nation.

Anyway, I think the first looks the best because of its simplicity. Three bands, a prominent centerpiece, and that's about it. It can be easily recognized at a distance without confusion, and, well, it's simple. It ticks all the right boxes.

If you want more specifics, this TED talk explains it far better than I ever could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4
>>
>>47531213
Yeah, I saw that. I'm thinking of revisiting the original flag. I want to evoke a Not!France feeling, and I'm not there yet.
>>
>>47530755
I knew I was going to phrase that poorly, but the important points stand,
>>
Since this is a flag thread, let me link a really useful (and entertaining) video on good (and bad) flag design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnv5iKB2hl4
>>
File: FlagofEhreist.png (22KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
FlagofEhreist.png
22KB, 1200x800px
>>47526603
>Post Flags!
Aw yeah, this is my jam.

The Federal Republic of Ehreist

Like pic related.

White and red have been the traditional colors of Ehreist since the rule of King Allard I, AKA Allard the Great, who was also the one to adopt the "Martyr's Bolts" as his symbol. During a battle as a young prince, Allard was saved from a lethal pair of bolts by one of his dragon retainers, and so adopted the symbol in remembrance. This served him well in earning the trust and eventual loyalty of the various dragon tribes inhabiting the Ehreistian Crescent, and centuries after his unification of the region, his standard endures as the national colors.

I'm actually not really satisfied with the current design. I'm set with the two arrows being the central symbol, but exactly how to incorporate the red and white in a meaningful manner eludes me. I've considered perhaps adding stars or something to represent the constituent states of the Republic, but nothing quite looks right. I'm not even sure why I added the black triangle, either.

If anyone's got some advice or other critiques to offer, I'm all ears.
>>
>>47531558

I would make the arrows black, and perhaps put a thin white/red outline around them.

I really like the black triangle inserted into the red/white stripes though.
>>
File: auryn.png (381KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
auryn.png
381KB, 512x512px
tell me about your setting's artifacts of power, /tg/.
>>
>>47530552
>>47530755
Alright, cool. Rock ships it is. Steam only good for ferrys and barges. Thanks guys.
>>
>>47532036
Well, you CAN have steam warships; steam needn't be their only means of propulsion. It's perfectly legit to have a sailing vessel with a steam engine as a secondary source of go forward. Even just using it in battle or times when sails can't be used would be fine.
Oh, and between the American Civil War and the end of the Victorian Era steam vessels were all over the place. Literally. They went all over the damn ocean.
Keep in mind that many of these were combo steam/sailing vessels.
>>
>>47532736
So far nobody in the setting has had much need for war at sea, but I suppose some of them would still go for hybrids. I'll keep it in mind.
>>
Do warmer colors in flags and maps (e.g. pink, red, orange, yellow) necessarily have to carry a connotation of degeneracy?
>>
>>47533449
Pink and yellow are degenerate.
Red is Blood/Valor, and Orange is Courage/Sacrifice.
>>
Does your setting have a legitimate form of evil? As in, D&D style, quantifiable evil?
Or do you go with the more realistic option of having the baddies just be narcissistic assholes?

I'm not judging one as better than the other, I'd just like to know how other people handle the concept, how they handle the villains in their settings. Which method do you find more interesting or enjoyable to use?
>>
>>47526603
>http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Thank you; I've been looking for this for a month.
>>
File: brasconne 2.jpg (173KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
brasconne 2.jpg
173KB, 3300x2550px
>>47531243
Thinking about changing the blue to more red. Any opinions?
>>
>>47534669
I like there being a DnD style evil, though you might not ever encounter it. All of your games might involve "I'm just running this trafficking ring because my sister is in the hospital" style baddies, but just having the option to fight Satan's butler is always worthwhile. And who knows, maybe Satan's butler is running into some heavy medical bills.
>>
What's the name of your setting? Not the name of the planet or plane or what have you, but the name that would be on the cover of the source book.

My current Sci-Fi setting is called Last Children of Earth.
>>
>>47536292
One of my space operas is called Successor Worlds (I noticed I really like word Successor because I like setting my stories right after collapse of major power)

Another my more comical and more developed space opera has working title Iron Chariots after an infamous Bible passage.
>>
>>47531766
There exists in my setting a metal called Xurium. Nothing seems to melt it and it has proven indestructible to pretty much everything.

Because it can't be shaped by any known means, it is also pretty much useless in its natural form, at least for everything that would be really exciting to use it for.

Xurium weapons exist, but how they were made is unknown, and they are usually found in the ruins of old. The weapons often are blunt, over sized, and ornate, suggesting they were more for decoration or ceremony rather than for battle. Still, the indestructible nature of these weapons makes them highly prized. No xurium armor has ever been discovered, but if if exists it would be valuable indeed.

As a detail that will likely never come up, Xurium has very different properties in other dimensions, which is how it was shaped. In the daemon realm it is a very soft metal that melts around 22 F. In another plane it is a fluorescent heavy metal that dispels and magic it comes into contact with.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1019KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1019KB, 500x300px
>>47536292
>What's the name of your setting? Not the name of the planet or plane or what have you, but the name that would be on the cover of the source book.

Boku no Magical Realm
>>
File: IMG_19122014_150418.png (24KB, 1072x629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_19122014_150418.png
24KB, 1072x629px
>>47526603
>>Pick a nation in your world
Ciernales

>>What does their flag look like?
pic related

>>What do the different colors and/ord symbols represent?
The purple denotes prosperity and wealth, the blue is the colour of nobles.
The gold is gold.

>>If they don't have a flag, what is the nation's greatest Symbol?
The crown is on the flag, and it is the center of Ciernales in multiple ways, denoting its ruler, but also the union of its nobles, every single one of which has voting rights.

The laurel wreath had been used as a crown in a different, now dead culture, that is said to be the cradle of republicanism, and while the elected monarchy of Ciernales isn't a republic, they like to connect themselves with that culture, which is why the wreath is on the flag.
>>
>>47536292
not mine, but I helped making it quite substantially and it has an amazing name: "Forest Reach"
>>
Does anybody have the setting generator that has floated around /tg/?

It was a list of rollable tables to build a setting from.
>>
>>47538069
no idea, but I'm also interested, so have this bump.
>>
File: setting generator.png (318KB, 1597x1178px) Image search: [Google]
setting generator.png
318KB, 1597x1178px
>>47538221
>>47538069
Found it.
>>
File: various_pearls.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
various_pearls.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>47531766
Some genies sell feathers from a bird which mixes stymphalos and rocs, so it is a arrow-sized sharp feather.

The chromatic stones can be used as bullets for slings and firearms. They become 'shrill needles of pure heat' when fired, so magic lasers.

The sea deity is a huge merwoman, she lays great pearls, each containing a single and random spell.
>>
>>47536292
Atma
>>
Rolled 24, 24, 25, 9, 17, 9, 3, 7, 12, 10, 6, 1, 17, 3, 11, 23 = 201 (16d25)

>>47538423
Don't mind if I do.
>>
File: flagredIV.png (7KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
flagredIV.png
7KB, 400x200px
I've posted this before, but I've changed the flag ratio slightly to 2:4, and made the chequerboard pattern larger

Deicolorii

See Pic related

>What do the different colors and/or symbols represent?
The chequerboard represents the islands and the sea. The red is strength, the gold ring prosperity through unity.

N/A

>Who decided on the flag? Was it a comittee? A ruler? the union of two previous flags?

The council of the Iodgeorii decied on the flag when the islands were finally unified. It was the union of the personal standard of the first Siege (High ruler), the left hand symbol, and a flag used to represent the many islands.

>Is it a national flag, a royal flag, a naval flag, a war flag

It is a national flag. It is flown above the personal flags of Iodges (Island rulers), which are merged in the same way with the chequerboard.
>>
>>47538583
is Deicolorii a nation state? And by nation state I mean a state with a very clear and absolute majority of a people unified in language, culture and identity, and that aren't radically disadvantaged over other groups?
>>
File: don arguzio flag.png (48KB, 507x342px) Image search: [Google]
don arguzio flag.png
48KB, 507x342px
Pirate Republic of Reposada.

A spoopy skull with a spoopy wig, a pen on the left and a cutlass on the right. 100% black.

The pen stands for the Code. Not a Pirates of the Caribbean thing, nor anything like Nassau. It's actually closer to a real republic, problem is the Governor is picked from a council of nine pirates, and no one trusts the others enough to cast a majority vote and change the present one. He's the one with the wig by the way, Don Almada. Now in his fifties, he was born and raised in the isles, and never visited the continent for more than a day. He started as a swabbie on the ship of a famous pirate, the Cayman, who built the republic and sort of united the pirates to fend off the notbritish and notfrenchmen. When the Cayman died, Almada took over and build a city with a fort on top. Captains live in the fort, crews in a chaotic sprawl down on the beach. Nothing close to a real republic at all, and will probably crumble as soon as Almada dies, but he's kinda an optimistic fellow. He believes that sending old and wealthy pirates on retirement as mayors and sub-governors will grant him their loyalty, and that discipline will come along. We're half in the XVI century, so people are a little confused about natural law and politics. Almada, being a pirate, is no different.

I don't believe I need to explain the skull and the cutlass. Right?
>>
File: map oldworld 3.jpg (2MB, 1949x1736px) Image search: [Google]
map oldworld 3.jpg
2MB, 1949x1736px
>>47536292
"Salt & Silver"
>>
>>47538778
The Deicolorii is a nation state, yes, though like Italy, which was made up of City-states, there can be a few cultural differences on different islands (See: Wide range of Italian dialects). They were unified by the first Siege (Sjedʒ) 3 centuries ago.
>>
>>47538902
why the skull tho
>>
>>47538938

Sweet sea. I like the "zodiarchy" !
>>
>>47538946
In order to spook people into recognizing their legitimacy. Like terrorists, but with flintlocks and rhum.
>>
>>47531766
But I already got on a whole bunch of Gucci shit?
>>
>>47526603
> fleurs-de-lis gules on a cross azure.

The rule of tincture, nigga. Use it.
>>
>>47539535
>The rule of tincture, nigga. Use it.

I think he will probably be using this in a fantasy world, rather than Europe.

And of course this isn't an achievement but a flag.
>>
>>47540105
Rule of tincture exists for a reason though, red on blue is hard to differentiate, especially at a distance.
>>
>>47540169
sure, there are many system in place in our world that make sense and that make things easier. Doesn't mean they have to be enforced, or enforced in the same way, in fantasy land.

Or you know, Japan.
>>
File: Sha'hara flag set.png (60KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Sha'hara flag set.png
60KB, 1000x1000px
>>47526603

Repost bampo

Sha'hara Only flag I've done so far

Pic related

The white circle symbolizes the founding of their (then) kingdom. The triangles represent the four cultures at the founding. The white represents a new beginning. The blue is the Empress's favorite colour.

In lieu of a flag they use things in groups of 4 tide to a pole or post; four cloths of the same color, four skulls, four coconuts, etc.
>>
Well I guess as this is a flag thread now, help me decide on a flag!
>>
>>47542492

Definitely go with the diagonal slash. Much more eye-catching. I'm also a fan of the black and gold variants, because they seem very Prussian. One thing in general that I'd suggest, though, is to make the spacing between the sun-wheel-thingies more regular--that one off to the left is irksome.
>>
>>47542492
I like the darker yellow one, but as the other anon said I'd make the spirals more uniform. Put them so they're in a set pattern. Other than that I really dig the emblem
>>
>>47542645
>>47542559
I know what you mean, but it IS a pattern, that of three rows of suns offset to each other, and then cut in half.

But I will look over changing it into something more aesthetically pleasing.
>>
Dragons

You got 'em?

If yes, are they big, scary, and mindless, or are they super intelligent creatures of doom?
>>
>>47543877
There are 3 ancient, intelligent Dragon Lords, and several species of animal-intelligence Lesser Dragons. Lesser Dragons include flightless and/or aquatic dragons.
>>
>>47543877
There are a few, but they've mostly been killed off. They aren't too intelligent, though they can sort of speak in a fashion. They're only magic though is being able to use their breath weapon and lighten themselves for flight.

The primary empire of the setting (which is just a shell of it's former self, having been overran by various barbarian tribes and such) has a few "tamed" to attack their enemies, but most are too old now to do much else than sit on the capital city's walls and sleep.
>>
>>47542492
Gold slash, two stars, in my opinion, though I'd prefer it more with no stars at all.
>>
>>47545253
Actually, scratch that. Gold diagonal, with three stars like the maroon one above it.
>>
>>47542492
Gold slash with two stars
>>
File: 1421089867167.jpg (348KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1421089867167.jpg
348KB, 1280x960px
>>47543877

They're people, just like anyone else. Good companions in war, too.
>>
File: 007ald.jpg (185KB, 1024x586px) Image search: [Google]
007ald.jpg
185KB, 1024x586px
>During Creation, existence was divided into two realms, that of Life, and that of Death.

>The God of Life, a perfectionist, sought to create a flawless world, but was consumed by its melancholy. The living world reflects the flaws of its creator, and changes constantly just as the desires of its creator flux. It is corrupted and imperfect out of the pursuit for perfection, and this is reflected in all life being permanently afflicted by imperfection.

>Death anticipated the failures of its kin, and created the realm of Death, and bestowed immortal souls to all of Life's creations to spare them the misfortunes of their creator. This is the Salvation of Death, the gift of dying, which saves the consciousness of life from permanently being destroyed or being constantly reincarnated into a world of endless suffering and conflict.

>The Cult of Death is the main religion of humanity, who are Death's chosen and favorite race for their constant strive to overcome their flaws. During an era of strife, a prophet of Death appeared to spread the message of Death's great salvation, and the promise of everlasting life to all beings regardless of their state in life.

>Naturally some people took offense to the idea of worshiping Death itself after losing many loved ones in this era of religious and political strife, and did what all people do to prophets. Killed him, although in this case the Prophet was tied to a stake and burned alive. Death however did not want its message discarded so readily, and once the Prophet's flesh was turned to ash by the fire, a skeleton stepped out holding out his melted iron bonds and was surrounded in a green aura of energy with a green fire burning in his empty eye sockets.

>The Lich-Prophet of Death rallied the people against the oppressive rulers of the land, but ultimately lost and took his flock north across the sea in search of new land to start a new civilization and rebuild from scratch, free from the corrupted southern rulers.
>>
>>47543877
Great big cunning predators of inhuman intellect, very rare, rather strong, all semi-aquatic since they really came into their own during the Age of Flood.
>>
>>47527172
>>47527181
Looks like shit, senpai.

The sun either has to go or needs to be way bigger. Those thin rays are aesthetically awful intersecting with the field of fleur de lis.
>>
File: 679-1_large.jpg (176KB, 973x1000px) Image search: [Google]
679-1_large.jpg
176KB, 973x1000px
>>47549079
>The pilgrims spread across the newly discovered northern continent rapidly, building up minor city-states which continued to spread and evolve until they transformed and unified into a single great federalized Empire. Now called the Primo Impero in historical documents, the empire spread east of the great continent until it encountered a great mountain range, in-which it discovered the Goblins.

>Long ago the Goblins had been a single species, but due to a rigid caste system split into two heavily distinctive species, the Hobgoblin and the Demigoblin. The Hobgoblins are the nobles of the civilization, titanic seven to eight foot tall giants that tower over men and possess unfathomable strength and durability. They live for several centuries, possibly even longer, but in turn have slow gestation and high infant mortality rates from genetic complications relating to gigantism.

>Demigoblins are dwarf-ish beings of low stature and low strength, but have a mind-bogglingly large population that exists throughout the eastern mountains, both under and above ground. They are the workers of Goblin society and levy-soldiers, making up for what they lack in physical prowess for incredible climbing abilities and rapid reproduction to recover from any and all population loss.

>Hobgoblins are the leaders of Goblin-Kind, noble warriors and great thinkers able to amass incredible amounts of knowledge in their very long lifespans. With their old and learned minds, they led the Demigoblins in great building campaigns in a long-past era, creating the ancient mountain-cities of the east. Great structures perched atop the peaks of mountains, the city-states sit atop hollowed-out superstructures in the mountains that would be able to last at least a century in a siege.

>Demigoblins are the workers: farmers, miners, and builders. They spend most of their time underground in Goblin cities, managing fungi farms that sustain the civilization.
>>
How is your world going to end? Does evil final destroy and conquer, or do the powers of good turn it into a paradise?
>>
>>47550831
It'll eventually turn into a post-scarcity, but I don't know the specifics of its future. Presumably it will never "end", as nothing in-setting can destroy Creation.
>>
>>47550831
I plan on having a very biblical end where the world is replaced in the end by something even more incredible. Some might say this has already happened.
>>
>>47550831
My setting "ends" every 3000 years or so as a sort of planetary reset. Each time it occurs about 97% of the people die and there is great upheaval. Entire continents can rise or disappear.

This is why there are ancient dungeons all over the place, and also why technology never advances to modern levels.

There's also an order of wizards who devote themselves to recovering history and preserving as much of it as possible during that whole reset thing.
>>
>>47550831
Humans will kill all the gods and go to the afterlife where they will destroy old world and rebuild it anew, becoming the new gods and bringing it closer to the primary god's original vision.
>>
>PICK a people
>WHERE does it live?
>WHICH other peoples does it share a country with?
>WHAT is their most valued aspect of their culture?
>WHO is their most important hero?
>WHY do they have to worry?
>>
>>47552769
>PICK a people
The Northerners from Beyond the Sea

>WHERE does it live?
In the northern continent, beyond the Quetia Islands

There is a dragon and its offspring. Also a few vampire lords and their personal armies of beasts and vampires.

Their theater and performed arts, for which they have a long and rich history.

Exura the Conqueror, who united the warring nation states.

The dragons are a constant threat to the people of the world, the vampires' armies are almost powerful enough to take over the continent if they wanted to, there is a tear in reality on the northern coast and space aliens are leaking through, and the nations to the south are in a violent war they they really hope to not get involved in.
>>
>>47552901
>warring nation states.
>only one people
>what.jpg

how do you define nation state?
>>
>>47553000
warlords, city states, and alliances that changed frequently with no centralized anything.

It wasn't uncommon for families to end up drafted into attacking their relatives, which usually just led to more civil unrest.

Eventually one warlord just conquered (or convinced) everyone to join into one nation and it remained stable enough to stop the majority of the fighting. Warlords and rebel groups still exist, but they aren't a major threat compared to all the other stuff.

The continent isn't that big, but it is a continent as per plate tectonics.
>>
>>47553099
yeah that's the opposite of nation states.
>>
>>47553134
I guess it is. Bad choice of words on my part.
>>
>>47552769
>PICK a people
The Wourén.

>WHERE does it live?
The islands to the East of the main continent, just before the endless ocean.

The Mojin.

Divine kinship, as in actual, verifiable blood relation to a goddess. They really take pride on that, even if they aren't really special otherwise.

The high priestess, who is at the same time the high queen of the Wourén. Anyone that claims this position is automatically the most important person in the entire world, at least for them. She is the direct descendant of the goddess, and has some nice powers to carry out her and the Wourén's mission. Not like they remember what that mission is.

You think an actual goddess gave part of her powers to a bunch of dudes across the sea for shit and giggles? There's something really bad on those islands, and the entire purpose of the Wourén is to fight said something whenever it's necessary. Another cause of worry is that they don't even remember that part of their history. They think that their relation with the gods is a gift that makes them the chosen people, instead of frontline soldiers.
>>
>>47552769
>>PICK a people
Ilem, sometimes called Ilemites by foreigners
>>WHERE does it live?
In the treaterous woods of Ilema Wildland
>>WHICH other peoples does it share a country with?
None. They are fragmented into tribes, clans and villages, but culturally identify with each other
>>WHAT is their most valued aspect of their culture?
Individual military skill as well as woodland survivalism
>>WHO is their most important hero?
Name and proper biography are not yet defined. A man who freed them from reign of wolf-king
>>WHY do they have to worry?
Since series of particularly unfortunate events called Reign of the Wolf-King, they will never accept any king or other permanent centralized leadership. As such they are fragmented, constantly warring tribes. Even though only a madman would enter their woods with hostile intention and expect to live, they might one day become easy target for neighboring nation
>>
File: 1457234176604.png (626KB, 617x900px) Image search: [Google]
1457234176604.png
626KB, 617x900px
>>47552769
>PICK a people
The Raysh.

>WHERE does it live?
In the desert land of Raysh, which is where they take their name.

There is a certain demographic divide in Raysh. The interior of the country is still the realm of the native Raysh, but the coast is where a foreign empire has set up colonies. This has led to a slow but sure shift in both the genetic makeup of the people as well as their economic and social status--the "civilized" vs. the "barbarians," in other words. This is demonstrated even by name: whether one identifies as "Raysh" or "Rayshian" signifies what lifestyle one adheres to, "Rayshian" being the official demonym mandated by the imperial government.

Equestrianism and rifle marksmanship, in accord. A man is not a man unless he can shoot a target at 150 meters at full gallop.

One mythic hero of note is Garo the Tall, who is said to have rode a horse made of stone and slain giants with a gun whose report sundered the very earth.

The march of civilization is putting great pressure on their nomadic lifestyle, and despite their best efforts, they are a dwindling demographic. Whether they still have a place in the modern world, of if they are going to quietly disappear into the desert sands remains to be seen.
>>
>>47552769
>PICK a people
The Taur

>WHERE does it live?
In the Badlands, a remote and uncivillized peninsula to the southeast, generally prairie or highlands. The entire peninsula is elevated, sitting on a massive mesa, so the land has very little useable coastline.

None at all. To the south there's semi-Lovecraftian tribals living in dense, impassable jungles slowly being cut down by Taur pioneers.

Hard to say, but hospitality might be one. Turning down a guest is unheard of in those lands, both due to the general distance between settlements, and the lack of settlements. There are strict unspoken rules about how to act when recieving a guest, alternatively how to speak to your host.

Raz'az, a man who cut down the dense jungles that used to inhabit the peninsula, founded the religion it follows to this day, and reigned as god king when the world was young.

They don't. They're merely fluff, and two brothers come from there.
>>
>>47557778
comment on something instead of bumping pointlessly
>>
>>47543877
>Dragons

Normal intelligence ranges comparable to humans/hominids of the setting.

There are 2 known types: Winged and Land. Both are distinct species, six-limbed with the primary forward limbs serve as wings on the flyers and a pair of powerful arms for land types. They are unable to interbreed.

They are mammal-like in nature and designed along the lines of pangolin derivatives. They used to occupy the majority of the northern part of the continent but encroachment by hominids has displaced them. Their largest concentration in now on the east beyond the Stormbreak mountains.

And bump.
>>
Anyone have any good flag / coat of arm generators?
>>
>>47552769
>PICK a people
The Sobki.

>WHERE does it live?
Situated in the south on the delta of the Noeki River, past the Gobiyett Desert.

The Gobiyett Desert is home to nomadic Gnoll tribes that wander the desert, hunting large earth elementals, that they harvest ore, stone, and precious gems from to trade with the Sobki.

Redemption and being cleanse of any sins before they die. Their religion says that if they are judged as unworthy after death, their souls will be forced to wander the night sky for eternity, or rarely, they return to their mummified body in hopes to redeem themselves.

Haven't fleshed them out that far.

They are one of the strongest powers on Aegeos, but the current ruler is afraid of the influence the Fire Goddess cult spreading from the north, so he has recently been allowing skirmish raids on the northern boarders in order to limit exposure with the humans.
>>
>>47552769
>PICK a people
the Shilbaín, physically resembling Aboriginal Australians with a tendency for light hair

>WHERE does it live?
most of them live as slaves in the Southern parts of the Ahigbeni Empire (mostly humid grasslands with tiny bits of forest here and there, like the pre-colonial Ivory Coast), after they were forced from their homeland further up North ~200 years ago. the Ahigbeni basically dragged them along as they conquered the Southern kingdoms and made them Imperial Duchies.

the natives of the Southern Duchies, who are considered full Ahigbeni citizens but kept most of their old customs and culture, while paying lip service to the Empire's culture because that keeps the ~10% ethnically Ahigbeni settlers happy. in real world terms, they are West Africans.

the Speakers, who preserve what little is left of their folklore and traditions through spoken word and song. memory is valued above all else. another important aspect of their culture is an emphasis on blood having divine powers when used in rituals. one of these is a unique rite of gender transition, wherein (after your actual medical transition) you are only fully accepted as a woman after your face has been painted with menstrual blood - the same goes for men, but with the blood of a ritual goat instead.

Caell, the Promised King wo led his people into the Waking World at the beginning of time and will be born again when his Song is sung in its original entirety to lead them out of oppression. basically Moses with a big club and magic fire powers
because they're enslaved and forced to work in the rice fields all day long, being treated like lifestock and often times abused. the Ahigbeni need them alive, but alive doesn't mean free or happy.
>>
>>47562825
The best flag generator I found is the flagmaker program http://www.mediafire.com/download/hji4i91ekvwi3kg/FlagMaker+1.7.zip

As for coat of arms, I have no idea. I'd love a program for that, though.
>>
Obviously need to work on the terrain, the cutoff points are where I expanded landmasses from. But there any glaring issues with the land masses? Anywhere where it looks artifical or jarring, or if the empty space to the north or south-east needs to be filled.
>>
File: 845.gif (603KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
845.gif
603KB, 250x150px
>>47562825
>>
>>47563329

It looks like the western landmass seems less mountainous than the other. It might just be the contrast, but that seems kind of odd. Every continent has a spine of some kind, after all.
>>
>>47563179
>As for coat of arms, I have no idea. I'd love a program for that, though.
Crusader Kings II.

Expensive as balls to get all the heraldry and other addons, though.
>>
>>47563462

That's no worries since I haven't done anything on the other continents really beyond a brief slapdown of randomized terrain. I'll be working that over and making sure they have proper spine mountains. Just wanted to get the continents layout right.
>>
>>47563717

Well, on that front I'd say you're good. Maybe there's someone more fixated on plate tectonics who will call me full of shit, but I can't see anything that really stands out as "wrong."
>>
>>47563831

Thanks bud, wanted to get a second pair of eyes before I started on climates. Already charted out latitudes (very top of the picture is 60° and the very bottom is equatorial. Also got a general idea for tectonics and how mountain chains (unless very old like the Appalachians) will be on meeting tectonic regions. Likewise that big islands if not continental like Australia might be on the same to explain the high volcanic activity (japan and such).

Ocean currents I'm still a little iffy on. I know from two anon's help many topics back it goes clockwise in the northern hemisphere but I'm still a little unclear on their climatic influences. That being said I am guessing http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/images/oceancurrents.gif when the current first starts to bend towards land it's more humid than when it finally leaves the coast.

And as long as it's not egregious I can probably fib it. Doubt people look at climatic patterns to determine if Dorne should be sandy or whether Rohan should be a treeless temperate steppe or not.
>>
>>47563505

Buy the base game, use the Trove in /gsg/ for the add-ons.
>>
>>47563438
Well I can't really find a good archive of coat of arm elements, and I worry about falling into a pattern if a design all my own from scatch.
>>
So I started playing with the idea of a setting where a space colony finds massive ancient alien ruins under it, leading to scientists and mercs teams going down into it.

I want to go with a Mountains of Madness/Darkest Dungeon feeling of decrepit, decadent ruins and horrors as players explore, but with a sci-fantasy feel, instead of fantasy.
>>
File: Griffin Empire Flag - Sagonya.png (5KB, 800x444px) Image search: [Google]
Griffin Empire Flag - Sagonya.png
5KB, 800x444px
>>47526603
Holy Griffin Empire

Like pic related

>What do the different colors and/or symbols represent?
Orange is meant to represent the sun originally. It was more yellow to start, but after centuries of the royal family's crest being dark orange it morphed into the light orange. The blue is meant to represent the sky: the domain of the gods.

The Griffin. Although extinct long before the nation's founding, the giant creatures represent loyalty and courage in Imperial culture.

>inb4 9000 hours in MS Paint
>>
>>47565132
Is this place fine for human breathing, or do the colonists and explorers need equipment to survive there?
>>
>>47563505
>>47564009

There is heraldry dlc in Crusader Kings?
>>
File: heraldry 1.jpg (911KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
heraldry 1.jpg
911KB, 1920x1080px
>>47566301
Many of them, and they span all races and religions. Go crazy with it
>>
File: 1010b2a00789.jpg (158KB, 640x471px) Image search: [Google]
1010b2a00789.jpg
158KB, 640x471px
>>47565132
You are only allowed to do this if its 1950's pulp scifi space tech, like pic related.
>>
>>47565132
If the ancient aliens focused on synthetic biology you could have mutated over-grown organic computers, defense systems and/or general utensils infesting the halls and the corridors of the ruins
>>
>>47566318
is it the customization pack? It's only 4.99, and I have 4.66 from selling those pointless token things you get from playing games.
>>
>>47566301
You need the Ruler Designer, if memory serves. Most DLCs add to the options.
>>
File: ruler designer.png (658KB, 976x587px) Image search: [Google]
ruler designer.png
658KB, 976x587px
>>47566459
This thing.
>>
>>47566270
Probably go with breathable air, makes for more opportunities for dangers and traps.

>>47566346
Meh, not a huge fan of pulp sci-fi. I like some bits, but not a lot of it.

>>47566347
I was thinking of stealing some ideas from Wildstar, where it was research labs with all kinds of crazy experiments.
>>
>>47566318

>CUM
>>
>>47567987
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumania
???
>>
>>47543877
They are giant beasts that spend their time sleeping on leylines, feeding off of the energy, and radiating magical power that mutates things into smaller drakes. They are worshiped as gods by cults that use the blood of drakes to enhance their strength and endurance. Prolong use eventually causes the user to start to take on draconic traits, slowly losing their humanity as they turn into dragon-like creatures.
>>
>>47549079
I have a similar setting worshipping death, how do you handle not just killing themselves?
>>
>>47543877
Yeah. Ancient, godly assholes. Kin to the Primordial gods, got pulled in from the sea of chaos when the world was being formed, and want to wreck it to get back out. Each one is a species unto themselves, and their blood/sweat/flesh/etc turns into lesser dragon-y things once shed. Most are either bound or dead, and all of them cause omens, visions, and disasters when they toss and turn in their sleep
>>
>>47570981
> *how do you keep people from killing themselves
fucking phone
>>
>>47570981
>>47571286
Have them believe killing someone is taking away Death's judgement.

Or that a soul without a natural death brings all it's grudges into Death's realm, which he doesn't like.
>>
>>47552769
>PICK a people
The Sordek, a semi-aquatic humanoid reptilian race.

>WHERE does it live?
On the western coast of the northern continent under the rule of the Xuande elves.

>>WHICH other peoples does it share a country with?

The Xuande elves, which lead the country. There are also the Haorl, an ursine race, humans, native Ruwan and Luwasati elves.

>>WHAT is their most valued aspect of their culture?

They are the ones who taught the Xuande about boat building and are part of the revolution in thinking that made way for Xuande ancestral teachings regarding peace.

>>WHO is their most important hero?
The first builder. A mythical figure that is said to have discovered boat building and enabled them to travel and harvest from the sea.

The Xuande culture has become too complacent and pacific. Their is in danger of being overpowered by the more warlike cultures of the east.
>>
Okay, I need some help. I want to run a D&D campaign, but since I find most of the settings to range from mediocre to awful, I want to make my own. I've since discovered I have no idea where the fuck to start, much less how to make it decent. So I'm asking, how do you make a good setting?
>>
>>47574413
Well what the hell do you want your setting to be like?

The first step should be finding out what you'd like in a setting, and fucking putting it there. You want to run a DnD campaign, so decide on races, magic prevalence etc., think about what you hate about DnD fluff and replace it, etc. Once you've got a strucutre of both what you'd like and of what's gonna be the underlying concept of the world, you start about thinking what part's important to play with: If you want political intrigue, start making countrieswith histories, relations and governance systems (always keeping in mind the structure you set so far - also, think what Time period you want it to be politically - do you want that made up pseudo-absolutism of fantasy where the king rules inexplicably unchallenged by his lords, do you want actual feudalism with powerful nobles and a dependant king, do you want real life Absolutism with mercantilism as a backbone etc.), if you just want dungeon crawlers, think about how all those ruins and dungeons came about and what awesome contents would follow from their origins...

It's a long fucking process. If you'd be more specific I could help you more.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.