[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5E General: DAGGER SNIPER Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 48

File: DAGGER SNIPER.jpg (78KB, 715x508px) Image search: [Google]
DAGGER SNIPER.jpg
78KB, 715x508px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>47467121

Throwing weapons are ranged weapons.
>>
File: 5e official rulings.png (13KB, 376x146px) Image search: [Google]
5e official rulings.png
13KB, 376x146px
>>47483482
>being so buttblasted you drag your wrongness into the OP of the next thread
Mike Mearls' rulings don't mean shit and are usually explicitly wrong.
>>
File: 5e ranged weapons.png (10KB, 373x86px) Image search: [Google]
5e ranged weapons.png
10KB, 373x86px
>>47483510
>>47483482
On top of that, this was also covered in the Sage Advice Compendium.
>>
>>47483510
He does have a point though. It doesn't really break anything to let people use all this ranged support for thrown weapons when they could just as easily get a bow.

At best there might be some odd loophole or bonus with it counting as both a melee and ranged weapons, but that seems doubtful.
>>
File: 1461967163602.jpg (512KB, 1600x1591px) Image search: [Google]
1461967163602.jpg
512KB, 1600x1591px
The implication is that Mearls means Sharpshooter can apply to *thrown* attacks, right? Because thrown weapons are pretty shit RAW anyways, so it doesn't really hurt anything, besides baiting someone into playing a throwing fighter past level 5.
>>
File: SA READ BOOK.png (408KB, 474x321px) Image search: [Google]
SA READ BOOK.png
408KB, 474x321px
>>47483855
>>47483863
>>47483834

Back to "It's not a real weapon tho xD" I see.

We clearly got past that improvised melee weapons gain the benefit of weapon features.
>>
>>47483510
>>47483516
Hes saying its ok to allow because it doesnt break anything. Its a weak as fuck attack and definately follows a rule of cool theme instead of no fun allowed. As a dm you can always say no but hes merely saying its not out of line that somebody with perfect accuracy might be able to transfer that skill from one weapon to another. Of course you can always dunk your teammate underwater to keep him from bleeding out....
>>
>>47483900
What if you threw a Fighter who throws a Fighter who throws an actual weapon?
Like, a Goliath throws a Dwarf throws a Gnome or something.
Tavern Brawler makes you proficient in Improvised Weapons, so you could have the Goliath throw the Dwarf as an improvised weapon at the target (1d4+STR damage), then apply Sharpshooter to that (+10 damage).
The dwarf would in turn use his reaction to throw the Gnome (1d4+STR damage) and apply Sharpshooter to this throw (+10 damage).
The gnome could then use HIS reaction to throw a shattered bottle or an effigy of James Jacobs at the target (1d4+STR damage) and have Sharpshooter apply to THAT (+10 damage). Assuming all of these theoretical attacks hit, everyone in the line (including the Goliath) could take a bonus action to grapple whatever sorry sod they hit.
Would the damage bonus stack?
Can you apply Sneak Attack to this flying press assault? RAW, as soon as the gnome hits, the other two can apply Sneak Attack Damage.
I don't know where I'm going with this, but it sounds interesting if not useful.
>>
>>47483482
>Rogue rolls first on initiative
>>
>ITT: What happens when you let a shitposter be the OP.

Time to watch the chaos.
>>
>>47484353
The 4erries were the ones shitposting, OP is absolutely correct and has in fact read the book.
>>
>>47484394
Shut the fuck up, OP.
>>
>>47483516
Wait, so paladins can smite with thrown weapons then?

Not that huge of a deal, but that's pretty nice.
>>
File: thor.jpg (88KB, 550x527px) Image search: [Google]
thor.jpg
88KB, 550x527px
>>47485406
>Paladins can smite by throwing their hammer at something

I have my next build.
>>
>>47484097
>You came to the wrong part of town Gringo.
>>
>>47483510
Mearls has fun and makes rulings that allow for varied play without introducing imbalance.

Meanwhile, Crawford says you can't aim throwng weapons, trip people on your opportunity attack, or rub your belly and pat your head at the same time.
>>
In a world with darts, saying a dagger can't be used for sharpshooter or archery is really pedantic.
>>
>>47486018
It's a good thing Great Weapon Master still lets you cleave enemies with javelins thrown from 30 feet away. I mean, it would be fucking ridiculous if you couldn't. I'm so glad we put the kibosh on making trick shots, though.
>>
>>47486043
>good at hitting people with greatswords
>throw a handaxe into some goblin's skull
>get to punch another goblin behind you
>>
>>47483482
If you provoke an AOO while moving out of an enemy's threatened area and they hit you, do you fail to move?
>>
>>47486043
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm, because if it is sarcasm it's still retarded.
>>
>>47486546
No you get to move still. Only sentinel and other special abilities that specifically state that they reduce your speed to 0 when you someone hits you with an AoO prevent you from moving.
>>
Since I couldn't find it in the trove, does anyone have a pdf of Murder in Baldurs gate?
>>
>>47484048
1) Fucking lol
2) Fuck no, that's retarded
3) Wait a minute...
4) Yep, you're using reactions so it technically should work

>Goliath throws dwarf-gnome complex from 20 feet away
>Dwarf uses his reaction (trigger being w5hen he is 15 feet away from the target) to throw the gnome at the target
>Gnome uses his reation

But no, you can't fucking sneak attack with it. This attack system would use Strength with no hope of being capable of applying dex; sneak attack requires a dex-capable melee weapon or a ranged weapon (from the table) which uses dex. OP is a retarded shitposter from the last thread who thinks he broke the game with his genius 5e hack, but his proposition explicitly breaks the rules. However, if your gnome is a rogue and you give him a rapier, he can use his reaction to hit the enemy with it after the dwarf hits (so that the dwarf is adjacent and SA condition is met). Alternatively, the gnome could be a little rapier sneak attack missile if he's a swashbuckler rogue. He can point his sword toward the target and be an improvised dart... omg fucking lol. Now maybe the dwarf's throw could trigger sneak attack since a gnome holding a rapier is akin to a dart (albeit a fuckhuge one). This is hilarious.

But yeah, the grappling bonus action with tavern brawler won't work. That requires a bonus action, which you don't get to use with Reactions (unless I'm mistaken?).
>>
>>47487047
Oops, that's what happens when you don't write your post in order.

>Gnome uses his reaction to attack the target after landing (he'll be prone though so he'll have to take it at disadvantage it seems)
>>
LOL this guy is still going?
I give him points for determination and creativity at least, even if most of his ideas are retarded or inefficient.
He needs a game to play in, for sure.
>>
Halflings are the bravest motherfuckers in the realm.

>advantage on all frightened saving throws
>every 1 gets a re-roll

Chances of a halfling rolling a 1 on a fightened saving throw are 1/(20^4) = 1/160,000
>>
About to start DMing my first game without using a premade adventure soon, but could use some inspiration on how to start it off.

What are your most memorable level 1 adventures?
>>
>>47487359
>Death house
>First encounter gets a surprise attack and shoves a wizard over the railing
>Fails save to catch himself on the third floor
>Fails save to catch himself on the second
>Lands in the first floor taking 12 damage, fails death saving throws before the others gets to him
>The party is talking what to do when he walks up the stairs with an obvious broken neck confused about why he is still alive and can see in the dark
>>
>first time playing d&d
>playing a ranger, choosing proficiencies
>DM tells me I should play a beast master
>never really mentioned that animal handling would be important (this is a long-running campaign)
>between level 3 and 8, my character is constantly dealing with animals (not just his animal companion and not ever by using enchantment magic to cheese it)
>months pass in game (also 5 levels)
>DM gives the barbarian expertise in perception and survival for reading them over and over in his downtime for a couple months
>"DM, can my character have gained proficiency in animal handling considering he's been literally implementing that skill day and night for several months?"
>"no."

Such a shitter. He later turned my character into an adult dragon. He's not a very good GM.
>>
Are there rules anywhere for letting a player develop their own class features?

My monk/cleric player wants to develop a path and open a school for it, but I'm not sure how to go ahead with it
>>
>>47483482
I assume they're talking about throwing vs. melee. You don't get to use sharpshooter when you're stabbing a bitch.
>>
>>47488025
There are general guidelines for homebrew depending on the class, there was an article about it
>>
>>47487359
>Start as level 3 Wild Magic Sorcerer
>Buying some gear to head off into a cave with
>Try to cast charm person to get a discount
>Wild magic time.
>Roll 1 on the d20 heck yes this is gonna be gud
>roll 7 on d100 haha sweet fun times
>fireball corner of marketplace for 40 damage
>wait what now
>only ranger survives
And that's why I don't play Wild Magic anymore.
>>
>>47488070
>>47488025
Not really rules, but advice.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes
>>
>>47488380
>play lolsorandumb class
>get surprised when rng gives you a TPK

ahhh, I remember being new and unjaded
>>
>>47487359
>Playing OotA
>playing a hill dwarf life cleric.
>rest of the party is a half orc fighter, tiefling fighter, and rogue fighter, a wizard, a monk, and a sorcerer.
>instead of trying to bond with the prisoners, the party decides to break free with brute force.
>I use all of my healing to save the half orc fighter while we make a mad dash for the supply room.
>We end up fighting an elite drow while gathering gear.
>luckily the other prisoners follow us so they all gang up on him with us and we eventually kill him.
>however, The elite drow ends up killing the monk outright, topsy is killed by spiders, and the orc prisoner is sacrificed to a vroc while we run away from the drow camp into the underdark.
most blood soaked level 1 fight I had ever seen. It took over 4 hours to wrap up that whole escape fight.
>>
>Starting up a campaign tonight
>I want to be a Sorcerer
>Someone else wants to be a bard
>Someone else a Warlock
>Someone else a Rogue

Think the party could last if the fifth person also picks an offensively oriented character?
>>
>>47488594
If they are a cleric or paladin then it will be fine. Fighter would be iffy. Anything else and you may have a very rough time.
>>
>>47488594

>bard
>offensively oriented
>>
>>47488594
That party is fine. Its not as healthy as it could be, but as long as the DM doesn't start every encounter literally under your feet you will be fine.

Also, since no one is wearing medium armor or above, and they will be boosting dex, you actually have a chance at a sneaky party. Go do Spec Ops shit motherfucker, try to convince everyone to take prof in stealth.
>>
>>47488594
Try and get someone healing ability be it feat or spell
>>
>>47488646

>you
>having reading comprehension
>>
>>47488025
>>47488459
>>47488070

this reminds me of the table (can't remember if its in the dmg or mm) that has monster features and how it approximately affects their cr. it would be great if they expounded on that system.
>>
>>47488756

>"also picks"

>you
>not retarded
>>
File: 1464417461018.gif (14KB, 330x570px) Image search: [Google]
1464417461018.gif
14KB, 330x570px
>>47488882
>expresses concern over caster-majority, listing three casters and one martial
>immediately after listing the martial, "if the fifth person also picks an offensively oriented character"

>you
>having reading comprehension
>>
3rd level
>when you hit with an unarmed attack, you may spend a ki point to heal an ally within 15ft 1d4+wis as a bonus action

Balanced as an alternative to the ranged spell attack from path of the sun soul?
>>
Any chance I could get /tg/'s feedback on this? I've hit the point where I'm not seeing the forest through the trees, but I do know there's holes in it.
>>
Question on the minor illusion cantrip: The description in the players handbook says "an" object but also lists muddy footprints (plural) as an example. How wrong would it be to cast an illusion of multiple swords on the ground (within the 5-foot cube of course) to confuse an enemy that's dropped theirs?
>>
>>47487249
kor make halfings useless and losers who seek to play small men races are a waste. Fey dogs and goblins are better small races than halflings and gnomes.
>>
>>47489540
Normally with RAW I'd say it's not allowed but Illusion tends to get shafted a lot so I'd allow them to at least try and get at least 1 round of confusion out of it
>>
>>47489615
>kor
wat

Are fey dogs and goblins playable races?
(genuinely asking)
>>
>>47487047
Late post, but I thought as much.
>>47487119
I was theorycrafting because it was like 3 in the morning, I was bored and wanted to see how far I could cheese that ruling. At least you can still use Battlemaster maneuvers on hurled luchadors, because they would count as "a weapon attack". Mostly I wanted to poke fun at the implication that a thrown weapon was also a ranged weapon- if for Sharpshooter, why not for Sneak Attack?
This makes me want to write up a cabal of ninja halflings who have maxed-out strength and use said strength to stack themselves in a tower 13 people high and throw each other at opponents. They'd probably also have to be female, since female halflings weigh less.
Somebody stop me.
>>
>>47489663
The fey dogs are homebrew, but kor and goblins are both wotc official in the zendikar expansion. Kor also have a non vocal language so it would be pretty hard to silence a kor mage.
>>
>>47489690
Actually having that option assumes the campaign is set on Zendikar or the DM otherwise wants kor around, yeah? Halflings are a fixture in significantly greater variety of D&D settings.
>>
>>47489783
Creatures in magic get blasted/stolen to other planes all the time. Hell kor in their introduction werent on their home plane. If you can write an amnesia backstory then you can easily write a story about a kor trying to eek out an existance on a hostile plane.
>>
>>47489816
I like your idea but the DM can still say no
>>
File: brilliant.jpg (8KB, 251x189px) Image search: [Google]
brilliant.jpg
8KB, 251x189px
>>47484048
Would I allow the Fastball Special? I fucking would!
Would I allow the double Fastball Special? Of course I fucking would!
Would I allow this Trifecta of Awesome Clusterfuck that you just described? I fucking would! And I would declare every fucking attack a critical hit because this nonsense is amazing.
You sir, is a scholar and a gentleman.
>>
>>47489872
Yeah, and the DM can also say no to Halflings if he wishes. Your point is moot.

>>47489935
When flamboyant autists DM.
>>
>>47485406
No, because a melee weapon attack is a <melee> <weapon attack>, not a <melee weapon> <attack>. Throwing a weapon is a ranged weapon attack made with a melee weapon.
>>
>>47490024
Not that guy, but there is nothing wrong with allowing the fast ball special in games. Mechanically its almost always going to be a weak option with low damage and the risk of throwing your allies prone.

What it does allow is for melee PCs to get some extra range and access different parts of the terrain more easily. This should be cool and fun DMing.
>>
Why are moon druids so fucking op? Nothing of a similar CR I can throw at the party is even remotely challenging for them because of the druid, and if I go over the CR too much the rest of the group is dead.
>>
>>47490391
How? Are you at low levels?
>>
>>47490429
Because they get 70 free HP to soak attacks with, and also multiattack. The party is level 3.
>>
>>47490391
At level 2 they can turn into things like brown bears and dire wolves twice per short rest. At that level, turning into one of those once in combat will give them more than twice their HP to blow through while tearing away at the enemy, and then if/when that Wild Shape is finally brought to 0 HP the druid pops right back into their normal form with full health. And then they can do it all over again because they can Wild Shape as a bonus action. Throw in the fact that they have access to magic and you've got a monster. And then later on they can turn into an elemental using both of their Wild Shapes.
>>
>>47490471
Levels 2-4 Moon druids are beasts.
Then they fall off a fair bit until they get unlimited wildshapes and wildshape spellcasting.

You only have 2 more levels of that moon druid being so tough and strong relative to the other pcs, so don't worry about it so much.
>>
>>47490391

do any of the cr 1/4 beasts actually have multi attack? they transform as a bonus action, which is essentially healing, but then the creatures only have roughly 12 ac and 12 hp.

a human fighter with pole arm mastery has much higher potential to do damage, has higher ac, also heals with a bonus action.

also the damage that puts the beast hp below 0 hits the druid after.
>>
>>47490586
12 HP is a ton at low levels.
>>
File: durrrrr.png (2MB, 642x1707px) Image search: [Google]
durrrrr.png
2MB, 642x1707px
>>47490586
>>
>>47490586
Moon druids can actually become CR 1 creatures starting as level 2. Like brown bears.
>>
>>47490656
Brown bears are tough, but they have low AC and are literally the most obvious target there could possibly be. Just mak an encounter with ranged attackers behind cover and tough guys up front.

Ideally, the ranged attackers attack down from above and the melee have terrain advantages. It makes for a great ambush.

If that doesn't work and you are super salty use traps.
>>
>>47489935
Well, in that case, you might enjoy this, just for the reading.
I'd never allow everyone to pull off this Rube Goldberg machine, but it's at least somewhat amusing to consider.
>>
>>47490747

I'm not going to cheat just because I don't like how OP a given class is.

The party is not retarded, they do actually scout and sneak around. I'm can't just go "lol ambush"! That's retarded.
>>
>>47490811
>anyone
Well, that's what I get for attempting to craft forbidden knowledge.
>>
>>47490747
See, while this is great against the moon druid, it would probably kill the rest of the party first. Thats the problem, challenging the moon druid without killing the rest of the party at low levels.

If he just wanted to kill the party obviously he could just plop down a cr 20 creature or some other unwinnable encounter for level 3 adventurers, but thats besides the point.
>>
Can I get some atypical Warlock pacts from you guys? All I'm finding in my research is soul-selling or falling in love with the Patron, etc.
>>
>>47490093
So Sharpshooter does apply then, since it's a ranged attack?
>>
>>47490901
An otherworldly spirit wants to inhabit your body and experience a mortal adventuring life vicariously. In return for letting this jerk hang around in your head and urge you to do stupid dangerous things, it lets you borrow some of its magical powers.
>>
>>47491009
>"We need to pick up some babes. Come on, you gonna use that Beguiling Influence or what?"
>>
>>47490971
Sharpshooter would let you ignore the long range disadvantage with thrown weapons and ignore cover with thrown weapons, but you can't do the -5/+10 with a thrown weapon.
>>
>>47491065
I take that back. You could perform sharpshooter's -5/+10 with a dart. Not with a handaxe or dagger, though.

You can also do it with a blowgun.
>>
>>47491107
But can you do it with a net?
>>
>>47490901
An Archfey in the style of Puck makes a deal with the Warlock to help them make mischief and pull of more fantastic pranks after being impressed by them.

I saw a concept once of a GOO that's the combined minds of an entire lost civilization, desperate to be apart from one another. Literally thousands, possibly millions of disembodied minds constantly arguing with each other, agreeing only that they must be free from one another. Desperate enough to give power to anybody who manages to contact them as long as the warlock agrees to try to separate them eventually. Some of them are more impatient or belligerent while others are nicer. Nonetheless they'll randomly contact the warlock (whether through their dreams or just telepathically) to either guide them or provide input on something, whether the warlock wants them to or not, because their method of communicating tends to sum up as countless voices all screaming at once trying to be heard while all saying different things.
>>
If a large frog is grappling a character with its tongue, how would you rule for one of the character's allies to cut off the tongue of the frog?
>>
>>47490901
I've got a guy whose warlock is working off a debt of service to a Fey Queen who felt wronged by him.
>>
>>47491160
Would probably allow either/both of the following:
- Attack the frog, impose concentration-style saving throw on frog, grapple ends/tongue ability has recharge (5-6) on failure; critical severs their tongue, removing the feature entirely.
- Attack the grappled target, without advantage; beat the frog's AC to end the grapple, beating the target's AC additionally damages the target.

The latter is a bit contrary to 5e's philosophy, though.
>>
>>47491265
I'd use the disarming rules in the DMG with the grappled PC as the weapon.
>>
The fuck is the difference between a Halberd and a Glaive?
>>
>>47491386
The spelling. Duh.
>>
>>47491365

How about Sunder to slice the tongue off?
>>
File: 1458353632694.png (3MB, 2271x2696px) Image search: [Google]
1458353632694.png
3MB, 2271x2696px
>>47490901
We have an undying warlock in our party who made a pact with Rhaugilath because ''In my heart I identify with zombies'' Rhaugilath laughed and said okay.
>>
>>47491386
One's an axe on a long stick and one's a sword on a long stick.
>>
>>47491532
In game, though?
>>
>>47491386
>this post again

It's about flavour text you fool
>>
So I'm thinking of making a moon druid soon. I know not all racial abilities pass over to animal form but some do as I have been told thus far. If I were to make a ghostwise halfling moon druid, which racial abilities would pass on to animal form?
>>
>>47491009
>Vestiges
>>
>>47490826
>parties are immune to ambushes
wtf am I reading?
>>
>>47491763

Maybe you should stop playing with idiots.
>>
>>47490882
Maybe your druid is the only good player then.
>>
What would be some good character traits /flaws for a bounty hunter? None of the backgrounds in the PHB stand out, are there any other ideas around?
>>
>>47491769
Do they always ace their Perception or Stealth checks? Do you even try?

I can't imagine a group never, ever being caught off guard.
>>
>>47491811

When they have a familiar scouting ahead with keen vision and the rogue with expertise on perception is also keeping an eye out it's really hard to even spring the ambush. And if they do get ambushed, a smart party will just dash to the nearest cover and slip away.
>>
>>47491883
Then I really don't get your problem with the Druid. You have a savvy group that gets around trouble instead of hitting it head on.
>>
Bear barbarians have as much health and hit harder than moon Druids at level 3.
>>
>>47491107
>if you throw a longsword you can use sharpshooter because it's an improvised ranged weapon attack
>if throw a dagger it's a melee weapon attack
>This what no-books actually believe
>>
>>47491931

I have a group that plays well in avoiding combat, and I have no problem with that. The problem is when combat is inevitable, there's no real threat to the party unless I really crank up the CR of the encounters.
>>
>>47491115
Yes, which is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>47491958
Throwing a longsword is a ranged weapon attack with a melee weapon (that deals 1d4 damage because longswords are not meant to be thrown).

Throwing a dagger is a ranged weapon attack with a melee weapon.
>>
>>47491988
Deploy Tuckers Kobolds and get gud. Equiping and using items monsters have will make them really scary, also actions like help and dodge are amazing.
>>
>tfw your patron is basically Ursula from the Little Mermaid
Archfey, although I figure GOO might work too.
>>
>>47489409
3d level
Unarmed strike deals necrotic damage and once per turn you can expend 2 ki to cast Inflict wounds as a lvl 1 spell as part of an unarmed strike.

Lvl 6 you can expeend 1 ki to cast Cure wounds as a lvl 1 spell or spend additional ki points to cast it at a higher level at a cost of 1 ki per level up to lvl 5.
You also learn how to cast ritual spells from the clerics spell list.

Lvl 11 You gain the benefits of the "shield of faith" spell permanently.

At lvl 18 you pick one divine domain that grants you 2 cantrips which you can cast as a bonus action.
>>
>>47490901
There was some anon who wanted to do a Tiefling fiend pact warlock where the patron was also the character's great grandfather, who tried to be a modern parent and understanding of his progeny's desire to be good while keeping tabs on the naive little shit.
>>
>>47491988
Ok? So your group is good at avoiding combat and hitting like a hammer. They are just squishy and need to deal with it.
>>
>>47492092

I don't really know if dodge and help will make any kind of a difference, but I'll try that next time.
>>
>>47492192
>moon druid
>squishy
Ooookay.
>>
>>47492209
I believe he means that when compared to what would be a challenge for this group the rest of the party is squishy, just not the druid
>>
>>47492246

Yes, that's the exact issue. The druid is too good when compared to the rest of the group.
>>
>>47492269
CC the tank. Prioritize damage to backliners.
>>
>>47492269
I understand the issue. >>47492209 was implying that >>47492192 was wrong in what they said. I was clarifying.
>>
>>47491787
>>
>>47492527
That's really great, thanks.
>>
>>47492269
>CC the tank
Use low level spellcasters that attack his saves. Which might also be hard, because Wisdom is his best save and he'll be using the Dex and Con from his animal shapes. That said, usually the tougher beasts have low Dex and the faster ones will have low Con. Don't stick to damage spells, use the ones that shut him down. Just to list the low level ones:

Sleep, color spray, entangle, blindness, Maximillian's earthen grasp, phantasmal force, grease, web... and I'm sure there are many more.
>>
>>47490540
I must have built mine wrong or missed something because I dont feel that super effective with my druid. Because wild shape is twice a day I usually save it for something big or a panic button. Mostly i use a bow or cast utility spells.
>>
So guys, in an attempt to make a legal treeman character, I followed what it says in the DM's guide for giving class levels to monsters. Treants themselves are huge and ridic so I used the Awakened Tree stat block instead. I sized it down to Medium and adjusted the HP accordingly, but the table for determining HP based on size told me it should have D8's for hit dice, which on average is 45 (7d8[4.5]+14, the seven being from the Awakened Tree's 7d12 hit dice).

Is that right? 45 HP is really high, but the Defensive CR is 1/4 according to the table, roughly equal to a single 1st-level adventurer if I understand correctly. Should I then adjust the Offensive CR lower to make the Average CR 1/4 as well? Right now, with a Defensive of 1/4 and an Offensive of 2 (14 damage per round, Attack bonus of +6), the Average Challenge Rating is 1.125, rounded down to one. Do I then remove the Slam attack and just equip a weapon from the PH?

Wat do? inb4 ask my DM. This is for fun; there is no DM.
>>
>>47490901
>>47489483

That's actually my Warlock Patron in the Parasite Compendium. It's not perfect, but the structure's there.
>>
>>47492269
There is also what >>47492696 said. If you just use one or two encounters per day, the druid is safe to burn his Wild Shapes whenever combat happens. Gotta remember that the game is balanced around having at least 4 or 5 encounters in an adventuring day.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Spells_Sleep.png (32KB, 493x618px) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Spells_Sleep.png
32KB, 493x618px
>party of 5
>fighting adult dragon
>all party members have the sleep spell though some means
>wear it down a bit
>everyone ahead in initiative prepares an action: cast Sleep when the party member at the bottom of initiative casts Sleep
>25d8 total Sleep dice
>22.5 * 5 = 112.5 mean sleep points

Is this legal?
>>
>>47492820
It doesn't add up, no.
>>
>>47492820
No.

Each Sleep spell resolves individually, not cumulatively.
>>
>>47492820
They don't stack with each other, so it is five different instances of sleep being cast at once, which would be a good way of taking out a big crowd I must admit.

But they don't pool all of their dice together, they each roll individually and resolve their spell before the next person does.
>>
>>47492820
If five players cast fireball, you get five fireballs, not one really big fireball.

Same deal with any other spell.

In this case you'd get five chances for a 5d8 roll to beat its remaining hp.
>>
>>47490901
I wanted my warlock to be a former cook so I made up one that goes along with it. We've just started playing so it's probably unbalanced as hell. Also some of the names need work.
>>
>>47492820
No but it's a neat idea so I'd allow it but let the group know not to make a habit out of it.
>>
>>47492965
>>47492966
>>47492990
>>47493006
Thanks guys

>>47492976
>would be a good way of taking out a big crowd I must admit.
Good point! Doing it as a reaction would be important as well because otherwise the unaffected targets may awaken their sleeping allies. Then autocrits out the banaynay next round!
>>
>>47492820
No, they don't get added together. If the first spell doesn't roll high enough to affect the dragon, it has no effect.
Then the second spell is cast, you roll those five dice, if they're not enough, the spell has no effect.
And so on.
Basically, if the dragon has more than 40 hp, a level 1 sleep spell won't have any effect. You'd be better off hitting it four times then casting sleep.
>>
>>47492209
The others you dingus.

I'm tired of this useless blaming on moon Druid when you don't even think you can surprise your party or layer encounters to make the Druid less effective without just bumping the CR of everything.

You can't handle at least two classes a player could pick if your other players choose rogues. Hell, if you dropped a player to 0 who will heal him with the Druid in Wildshape?
>>
Is there a decent way to homebrew 4e's Minions into 5e?
>>
>>47493152
Just give everyone you consider a "minion" 5 HP.
>>
>>47493181
To be fair I did this with minions even in 4e. Mostly to stop the warlock who could deal 1hp to a creature for free somehow (I've forgotten the mechanism now) killing minions as a non action to replenish his temp hp. As cool as it was, it was too much power for one man.
>>
So I'm working on some homebrew stuff and I wanted to get some suggestions.

What kind of powers would you give a Sorcerer who gets their powers from magical insects/parasites living in their body?

What do you think of a gun wielding Bardic College? Sort of a mysterious stranger archetype with intimidation and a few gun tricks.

What do you think of a race that is half orc and half elf? (And which sounds better, Orves or Elcs?)
>>
>>47493964
Half orc and half elf makes a human, anon. Why do you think there's so many humans around?
>>
>>47494028
... well now I've got a new setting idea
>>
>>47493359
I'm pretty sure minions were immune to those kinds of damage sources.
>>
I have a question regarding Fighters and Action Surge.

Say I have a level 5 Fighter who gets two attacks per action, and I attack twice then use Action Surge. Does this mean I get four attacks total?
>>
>>47494520
Yeap.
>>
>>47490901
I had a warlock that used to be a fence for the thieve's guild is his old shitty city. Through his business he came across a matching set of a circlet and necklace, both faintly magical. He started fiddling with them and accidentally entered a pact with a GOO. Shortly after unlocking their powers another thief stole the circlet and left town, prompting the warlock to pursue him leading to a life of adventure and unraveling his artifact's power.
>>
File: Campsite.png (135KB, 1204x974px) Image search: [Google]
Campsite.png
135KB, 1204x974px
Hey, does anyone have any advice for sprucing up overland travel? I'm running Curse of Strahd and no one seems to want to talk about what they do overland. I want them to feel like travelling in the woods is part of the adventure itself, not just quick-travel with random encounters. I'm going to try to describe thing more in-depth and see if it engages them to join in, but I doubt it.

Anyone have any recommendations or any more how-to pics like the attached one? Thanks
>>
>>47494879
Have an NPC give the party a bird watching card to fill out.
>>
>>47494879
Make sure you roll events like the book suggests. My characters are normally barely making it between locations because the rolls have been so bad.

I also pre-rolled encounters to write expand the scenarios some.
>>
>>47490901
An archfey is willing to supply your character with powers on the condition that they use their powers to be a hero (or their version of one anyway). Think tumblr fanfic writer where they force you to be overly edgy or mysterious and bonus if they make you do super dangerous tasks just for the sake of a better story. Chain-familiar is your sidekick and she ships you with every major rival you come across.
>>
>>47495027
That's a pretty good idea actually. Can be quite fun to plan encounters, too.

>>47494982
They'll be done pretty quickly since there will only be two boxes: "bats" and "ravens"
>>
I'm running my first campaign next weekend, and just curious what people tend to use as low level quest rewards.

I was thinking I'd lean towards gold, one use items like Dust of Choking and Sneezing, and just things like finely worked armour, which makes them look better (maybe slightly lower DC on cha checks with fancy NPCs), but I'm not really sure.
>>
File: dwarfwizard.jpg (34KB, 270x330px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfwizard.jpg
34KB, 270x330px
Man, these threads are pretty fucking dead when we're not bitching.

Pick your poison.
http://www.strawpoll.me/10337668
>>
Hey assholes:

I'm running Out of the Abyss, but I am really tired of writing at the moment and I don't feel like writing a zillion side-treks and quests and shit from scratch.

Gimme links to or write-ups for everything you added to the campaign to make the travel time interesting or get away from just rolling shitty random encounters as they go from place to place. Modules, dungeons, whatever. I know you have them, so hand 'em over.
>>
>>47495806
Get ready for people to bitch at me for
a) dual-wielding lances:
b) taking the time to do this (fuck you guys, I was bored)

If anyone wants to play a (level 20) Cavalier Fighter, check this out:

Synopsis:
>take two-weapon fighting fighting style
>dual-wield lances: make 4 main-hand attacks, use TWF to bonus action attack with off-hand lance
>mean damage potential = 57.5

>take great-weapon fighting fighting style
>two hand your lance: make three attacks whose damage rolls are applicable for GWF re-rolls
>draw a second lance with free item interaction: make a one-handed main-hand lance attack, use TWF to bonus action attack with off-hand lance
>mean damage potential = 55

Two-Weapon Fighting Style nets you 2.5 more average damage potential per turn at level 20 than Great-Weapon Fighting Style.

This is also before considering utilizing the Cavalier-exclusive damage-boosting lance maneuvers.
>>
>>47496100
At least read the book. That might help.
>>
>>47496100
Run the Corran Castle from the beginning of Immortal's Fury.
>some fisherman hires the party to clear a bunch of sparking birds out of a castle his dead relative left for him
>will pay in fish and free river transport, a little bit of gold; says you can keep any gems and shit, but paintings and other family heirlooms are his
>birds with lightning powers everywhere
>spiders with like a thousand legs
>the whole place is full of zombies with lightning powers too
>they also talk and are apparently sentient
>they constantly flee through hidden trapdoors and relocate to set up more ambushes
>led by some asshole Lord with a too-high opinion of himself despite general incompetence, has servants introduce him but constantly corrects them to big-up him more or tone it down when they start getting sarcastic
>one of the zombies is a little kid who doesn't want to kill you, spends all his time talking to a mirror
>mirror has a guy trapped in it and he says if one of the party doesn't switch places with him for a few hours the whole world will end because this invisible mirror is super bad news
>turns into an actual fucking GOD if you agree, has a panic attack, kidnaps your trapped-in-a-mirror party member for a day or so
>returns him, free of the mirror, with a treasure chest of gold before fucking off because "no time to explain"
>>
>>47484000
He answered a specific question of if it counted as a ranged weapon though, to which the answer is no. Allowing it anyway is different, and should have been specified.
>>
>>47496208
Here's one you forgot:
c) This one is old news, idiot.
>>
>>47492820
No, but If they get the bright idea to headfluff the wizard/warlock/caster guy as somehow catching the energy and letting it go (think spirit bomb)
But I'd also make it happen like this
>players cast sleep except designated casterbomber
>casterbomber must wait one round to gather/fuse the energy
>party has to prevent him from being interrupted/he has to roll a save (willpower?) to keep it forming
>beginning of next round spell is released, depending on the enemy might make it unavoidable
>caster is now immobilized for no less than two rounds (exhausted)

Have fun, but don't have too much fun.
>>
>>47483482
>Doesn't break anything
>Can do as much damage as a crossbow expert sharpshooter without taking the crossbow expert feat
k
>>
>>47496412
Throwing weapons don't work with the Archery fighting style. +2 AB is nothing to sneeze at when it comes to raising your average damage, especially if you're taking a -5 penalty on many attacks. This fucker also has to carry like 90 goddamn daggers.
>>
>>47496355
Except it isn't you dumb contrarian motherfucker. Jesus christ, get your assblasted self out of my thread.

>>47496398
Neat, thanks.
>>
>>47496455
People have been posting two-lance cavalry builds since long before the Kits of Old UA came out; all the KoO did was bring 'em back for a bit.

You're an uninspired retard, you've always been an uninspired retard. Stay mad, idiot.
>>
File: Stair Rogue.png (115KB, 343x417px) Image search: [Google]
Stair Rogue.png
115KB, 343x417px
>>47483989
So, would a semi-valid rogue arcane trickster build be to use your sneak attack to throw a dagger, and use your invisible mage hand to always grab it and bring it back to you?
>>
>>47496455
Alternatively, have the sleep effect go off on the caster too, but maybe his individual sleep spell being the one you roll on as opposed to the big ball of comfy
>>
>>47496492
Why not just get a boomerang with an enchantment and save the magic bit for situations where it doesn't have the room to return on momentum alone?
>>
>>47496488
Time and time again you demonstrate an abysmal level of reading comprehension. The point of the post was to determine the optimal fighting style to choose.

I literally needed to spell that out for you; this is how unintelligent you are. Just stop posting, you embarrass yourself every fucking time.
>>
>>47495806
Looks like we're going with caster supremacy, boys.

>DM wants a DC 22 Strength check to break down the rotted wooden door
>Conan asks if he can hit it with his greatsword instead
>DM says that won't work
>Wizard blows a hole in it with Fire Bolt, a fucking CANTRIP
what do
>>
Our DM is running that stupid "Grease is flammable" homebrew but it can only be ignited by other magical sources of fire. It also does 10 damage per round and lasts for the full spell duration since he says it burns hotter.

Meanwhile, throwing an actual oil flask and igniting it with someone's torch or whatever does 5 for a single round before burning out. It also only affects on creature/tile.

Fuck my life.
>>
>>47496540
wood is flammable. makes sense to me. next.
>>
File: Matou_zouken.png (2MB, 1000x2113px) Image search: [Google]
Matou_zouken.png
2MB, 1000x2113px
>>47493964
>What kind of powers would you give a Sorcerer who gets their powers from magical insects/parasites living in their body?
Grandpa of the Year award.
>>
>the Druid keeps using Conjure Animals to summon sixteen snakes
>combat rounds take ten minutes and eight of those are him moving snakes around
>>
Tiefling paladin for Curse of Strahd.
He would be a complete hardass who never takes off his helmet.
Best idea or worst idea?
>>
>>47491693
Can't recall the special traits of ghostwise but Lucky Brave and Halfling Nimbleness would carry over.
>>
>Gee, Wizard, I'm so glad you're not memorizing Knock so I can actually do my job as a Rogue and open manacles or locked doors.
>NAH I JUST USE ENLARGE/REDUCE TO SHRINK DOORS SO THEY FALL OVER OR DOUBLE MANACLES' SIZE SO YOU CAN SLIP OUT OF THEM
Fuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooooou.
>>
>>47496618
Conjure(d) Animals are supposed to be DM-controlled. Just roll a die for what they do, move them to do it, roll their action, onto the next one. Should take like 10 seconds a piece.
>>
>>47496708
They really should just get it over with and have a spell called Replicate Class Feature.
>>
I'm DMing and I need to make an acrobatics/athletics/strength based encounter with no fighting. The idea is that there is an obelisk at the top of a mountain, and to get there, the players must move up a very hazardous set of stairs.

The stone stairs have missing gaps in them (due to their age), and some of them are so big that the players must do a roll to see if they succeed.

Then, there are metal gates in the path. The players must pass Strength tests to open them.

And finally, once they reach the top, the obelisk is drawing heat and energy from the area, making it especially cold. The players will have to pass additional tests as they take cold damage.

My problem is this: How do I make this session more interesting than "Ok roll agility check, roll str check, roll constitution check". How do I make it more fun than that?
>>
>>47496208
Wouldn't both be worse than a shield though? The second also is too min-maxy to actually make sense in-game, putting away and taking out a lance every single round. Even then, it's not going to be able to do that every round because of interactions. Also, you can't dual-wield lances without the feat.
>>
>>47496766
You might want to make the wind strong enough that flying isn't an option. Maybe the spirits or something in the area award cunning and training, and there are a few obstacles that can be subverted not by spell or muscle, but by coming up with a different approach. Like a teetering bridge that can be stabilized by tying some hidden ropes.
Maybe teamwork is required to overcome an obstacle where one wouldn't normally think it would. Two seemingly unconnected rocks could be balanced against each other, or a mystic torch that needs to be used to see through the fog grants sight to only one member of the party at a time.
>>
>>47496540
>attempting to break down a door with a weapon

At the very least use a blunt weapon and not a bladed one.
>>
>>47496839
Look at the image, it includes that the character has the Dual Wielder feat.

The GWF option is the numerically worse option. And it actually would work every round, it would just require dropping the off-hand lance at the beginning of every turn and having spares strapped to your horse to draw every round. But yes, it is clumsy. It was worth figuring out how the two compared though and a fun little brain exercise.
>>
>>47496708
You can't enlarge/reduce worn or carried items. Your wizard is a cheater.
>>
>>47497050
>Your wizard is a cheater.
Isn't that the definition of a wizard
>>
>Snilloc’s Snowball Swarm
>Each creature in a 5-foot-radius sphere centered on that point
so how many tiles does that cover in a standard grid? other than its origin tile, its covering half or less of all the tiles around it
would it just get 5, 1 full + 4 half? or would it get all 9
if it wasn't "centered on that point" it would just be a 10 foot cube, smaller than either option
>>
>>47497115
On a grid, points of origin are grid intersections.

So: four 5-foot squares, or three 5-foot hexes.
>>
>>47497115
Centered on a point or intersection between grid squares.

Just stand in the extreme corner of your five foot square and you're safe from circular AoEs.
>>
>>47496908
Thanks. I thought of a rope bridge that collapses as soon as the first person gets across. Then, the first person must describe what he sees on the other side so that the players know how far they need to jump and grab the ledge (they can't see because of the blizzard, so the first person who got across must tell them).
>>
File: diagram grid snilloc snow.png (1KB, 183x143px) Image search: [Google]
diagram grid snilloc snow.png
1KB, 183x143px
>>47497115
>>
>caster/melee
fucking boring arguments
at least with RAW shittery you can come up with some fun meme builds
>arguing about arguing
>>
>>47497218
>>47497188
>>47497145
i always presumed it was center tiles specifically, because of some spells originating from you and being in the "center" of the spell effect
that last line in the cutout answers it anyway you read it though. i just looked up the answer in the phb and it didn't have shit
thanks yall
>>
>>47497310
They really dropped the chromatic orb by not including a tiny fucking illustration in the PHB of this point which still manages to confuse people.
>>
File: hmmmmightbetimeforpurge.gif (698KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmightbetimeforpurge.gif
698KB, 499x374px
>>47497287
>magic-user bitches that he doesn't feel useful
>design encounter for said magic-user to use his favorite shiny spells to save the day
>give him big ass hints and even other players notice
>magic-user doesn't use that spell because reasons
>player deaths occur
>mfw

I've met dozens and dozens of casters over the years, most of them are awful players and I can never expect them to use their resources, they always forget most of the shit they can do or how it exactly works.
They either use a few meme spells forever, or they "misread" three dozen spells.
>>
>>47497557
>underwater fighting sahuagin and a giant mechanical crab construct piloted by them
>wizard spends multiple rounds spamming disintegrate on the hatch door
>after fight was over ask him ooc why he didnt just use knock
>lol i forgot about that
>>
>>47497557
>>47497685
It's funny, in my experience, its mostly stupid players who play wizards whereas more intelligent players play martials.
>>
File: image.png (941KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
941KB, 640x1136px
>>47483482
>martial/magic war
>tfw every build I've ever done has been some form of Spellsword
>inherently superior
>>
Can you ready actions outside of combat in 5E?
>>
File: 1460340639181.jpg (156KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460340639181.jpg
156KB, 960x720px
>>47497821
>TFW I have build some variation of sword+sorcery for every character I've made as well
Can't stop.
Won't stop.
>>
>>47497966
>Paladin
>Valor Bard
>Swords Bard
>Blade Lock
>High Elf Thief
Even my wood elf BM ended up with Magic Initiate.
>>
>>47497894
Of course. It's not like D&D turns into a different game just because initiative was rolled. Any thing you can do in combat, you can do outside combat. But such actions usually trigger combat as well, anyway...
>>
File: loudhorns.png (418KB, 917x708px) Image search: [Google]
loudhorns.png
418KB, 917x708px
>>47498050
>tfw you can't stop building wrestlers
>>
>roll up a sorcerer
>explicitly Storm, because I don't want to deal with the shit involved with Wild magic, and not a fan of Draconic for this character
>we're in an alternate "chaotic" dimmension
>I cast my first spell of the game
>guy doesn't even roll anything
>"roll wild magic"
>I explain that I'm not a wild sorc, I showed him my character sheet before this
>"I know, roll wild magic anyway"
>he makes me roll wild magic for every spell cast in that entire session
>I don't have any benefit for this, like an actual wild sorc would get
>he actually makes the bad effects of wild magic Worse, he tried to get me to cast fireball via WM as a 6th level spell
>I don't even have 6th level spells yet

Fuck that guy.
>>
>>47498072
I refuse to believe this.
>>
>>47498224
it's true, anon.
I've already quit the game, but I'm half tempted to come back just to see how much shit he can manage to fuck up.
>>
>>47498253
Better idea. Come back, play a Chaotic Stupid wild magic sorcerer. Tell him that because you're a wildmage you get MORE rolls on the WMS table. Then recommend that he uses this table instead of your normal one: http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf

Then just pull out some popcorn and watch his game die.
>>
File: 1422027603769.jpg (224KB, 524x468px) Image search: [Google]
1422027603769.jpg
224KB, 524x468px
>>47498334
>10000 results
what the fuck
>>
>>47496645
Bumping this.
>>
File: 57066059_p0.jpg (513KB, 1000x1700px) Image search: [Google]
57066059_p0.jpg
513KB, 1000x1700px
>>47490901
Fey is straight crazy in love with the warlock and thus wants to become one in the literal sense with him. However the Fey herself/itself is stuck somewhere and can only faintly gift the warlock it's powers in hopes of keeping it alive enough for fate to lead him to her. Occasionally makes bad stuff happen to people who get too close to the warlock since it's possessive.
>>
Who's ability mods should be used when attacking with a ballista: the guy that aims it or the one that pulls the trigger?
>>
>>47499212
Neither. Check the DMG pg 255. Siege equipment and the like have a set bonus to-hit.
>>
>>47499261
Oh yeah, I was looking right at it and missed it. Oops.
>>
Wielding a weapon two-handed doesn't give the ability bonus-and-a-half anymore, does it?
>>
>>47499352
read the book
>>
File: read the book.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read the book.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>47499352
Weapons with the versatile property deal more damage when two-handed, and weapons with the two-handed property can't be used with one hand at all.
>>
>>47499399
>>47499383
I did read the book. I just wanted to be sure.
>>
>>47487671
I know this is an old post but I laughed out loud. He became a revenant? Fuckin great
>>
>>47498072
>>47498253
Some modules do use the wild magic table for non-WM casters.
>>
>>47499697
>some modules
He wasn't playing out of a module, he just decided to do this on his own. It felt like he's barely read the PHB or DMG, much less any adventure module.

And which, so I can avoid them in the future.
>>
File: 1448788325757.jpg (75KB, 639x628px) Image search: [Google]
1448788325757.jpg
75KB, 639x628px
>left my regular group
>desperately want to play again
>friend is thinking about running a new game
>a 3rd level game
>>
File: HUH-Poe_zps23e1c331.jpg (22KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
HUH-Poe_zps23e1c331.jpg
22KB, 500x285px
>>47499825
>Complaining about actually having abilities and hit points to start with
Why?
>>
>>47499853

he also wants HP to only be gained every other level
>>
>>47496714
The spell specifies that they follow your commands as a free action, so unless your interpretation of DM-controlled is different than mine, I don't see that being true.
>>
>>47499860
>Let's make onion druids even more powerful!
Have you tried DMing yourself? I like it better than being a player in some cases.
>>
>>47499905

The idea was that monsters would get their HP axed as well, so that's not an issue.

I'm running a game right now but it feels like the players aren't putting much energy into it lately. Other than that, it's fun.
>>
>>47499862
Oops, my mistake. Still, it doesn't say that the player controls them, it just says they follow orders. And it isn't like he has time in 6 second (while also taking his own turn) to give each of the 16 snakes a separate, complex directive. Let him give a single short command at the start of each initiative and control them yourself.
>>
>>47500023
Time him, give six seconds to bark out an order
>>
>>47498015
Try Swashbuckler/Dragon sorc

It's the best unarmoured Spellsword availible.

Or monk/arcana cleric because if you use a monk weapon for your booming blade spellyou still get to do that unarmed strike granted by MA.
>>
>>47500155
>Try Swashbuckler/Dragon sorc
my friend did this, and i played a pure sorcerer. we were both knights of the same order. those characters were a blast and i have to tell you, even with a very small dip into sorcerer, he really did feel like a spellsword.

those characters were a blast actually... we should revisit those guys some time. sir ed and sir lander.
>>
File: 1404200983363.png (46KB, 174x238px) Image search: [Google]
1404200983363.png
46KB, 174x238px
>>47500155
>>47500477
>one level of dragon sorc is better than +1 studded leather, and +2 of the other two light armors, so you can dress up in fancy clothes instead of armor
>you also have semi toughness so you can be a proper honorable swordsman who fights face to face

>you can get resistance to shit at 6th level and appear unharmed by the BBEGs best attack, especially with Evasion/Uncanny dodge

>Cha goes perfectly with swashbuckler and being a dashing rogue

holy shit, I want to play one now, that sounds great.
>>
I want 5e Spelljammer and/or Dark Sun.

I just had to get this off my chest.
>>
Has anyone used the rules for true names and devil talismans in the MM to get a makeshift Conjure Fiend spell? How'd it go?
>>
>>47501204
Spelljammer is never coming back.

Dark Sun is likely. Maybe next year if we're lucky.
>>
>dagger sniper
I really don't see how that's a problem.
https://youtu.be/hRMORP8ykLA?t=59
>>
>>47497775
Same. First time I was a DM for my friends we had a Fighter who played well and dominated combat, a Bard who roleplayed really well with an ungodly Bluff skill and a Wizard who refused to read the book, wanted to hit shit with a sword all the time and made me choose his spells.
>>
>>47501235
Whyyyyy :(
>>
I'm looking for a Ranger Variant/Rework that doesn't suck. How does the UA ranger stack up?
>>
>>47497775
>>47501469
Yep.
>fighters are always god-tier players, take fun prestige classes, don't overspecilize
>casters couldn't think their way out of a paper bag over their head
Why.
Seriously, for 90% of the time I played 3.X I wasn't aware caster disparity was a thing, because the casters we did have were fucking awful.
I include myself in that statement, I was ultranew

>>47501508
Ambuscade only goes to level 5 is and is probably the most overpowered class in the game, Spell-less is decent, from what I hear.
>>
First time playing 5e, I want to ranged rogue. How do?
>>
>>47501518
I hate playing with new players who chose Wizards and/or Warlocks. 90% of the time they think magic makes them effective with no effort to learn what their magic actually does.

It's why I always strongly advise Half or Third Casters because it gives them Magic but they go a level or two so when they get the magic they understand how it can help with the features they already have.
>>
>>47501544
Halfling Rogue. Get a shortbow and use your racial bonuses to hide behind people.
>>
For magic archer: lore or valor bard?

Thematically lore seems more appropriate for me and what I'm leaning towards for my next character. Thinking of nabbing misty step to poof around the battlefield and stay at range. The only annoyance for me though is not getting that extra attack.
>>
>>47501622
Was also considering going magic initiate and nabbing eldritch blast and flavoring it as some kind of magic arrow. Eventually having 4 blasts and swift quiver for 2 weapon attacks.
>>
>>47501341
hahaha, I really do need to watch more red dwarf

>>47501508
apparently the UA Scout archetype for fighters is a decent alternative to the ranger class, but no magic :'(
>>
Dear /5eg/, how are Barbs this edition? Can I still run at people screaming like a madman to cleave them in twain?
>>
>>47492061
>5th edition is supposed to be robust and simple
>people rules lawyering weapon designations this much

Why aren't you guys playing a game with firmer rules if you want to ruin fun with them? Like I'd understand this if it was GURPS or Pathfinder but for 5th edition I'd just ask if the characters thing throwing hammers then ranged feats plly, if its a random guy just throwing a dagger for shits then they don't apply.
>>
>>47501882
good damage, one of the best tanks
their paths are "really fucking angry" or totem animals
totem animals is more interesting since they get stuff like being so angry they can fly or being so angry they make people afraid to hit anyone but them
>>
>tfw have owned all three books since release
>still haven't found a game locally
>havent joined a /tg/ game yet

I really want to play, maybe I should redouble my efforts in the gamefinder thread.
>>
>>47501942
can't get your friends to play? do they not play RPGs or something?
>>
>>47501957
My brother is too busy smoking weed and gardening, my best friend joined the navy, and I haven't spoken to the third player in years. I was the DM and we never really got a campaign going.
>>
>>47501972
shit dawg, were they your only friends? :/ no FLGS either? even stupid pickup games can be the gateway to meeting new players and by extension new games
>>
>>47501934

is Path of the Really Mad Guy any good compared to Totem Mad Guy?
>>
>>47502001
I'm not proud to admit it but I can't drive yet. I walk to work and back. If I had a way of getting to the bus station that might be a good option. I think I'd rather try and find an online game with some fa/tg/uys though. If I could drive I'd be using my ork warhammer army too. I should really, really work on getting my license.
>>
>>47502026
its alright, but it suffers the same thing most melees do
unless you get something interesting to do with multiclassing or spells, you kinda lose out on things to do out of combat, or interesting things to do in combat
super angry barbs get a bonus attack, cant be feared, a fear, and a retaliation attack
theres 5 options for animal totems, and some of them "combine" animals, so you might be bear for 2 levels and elk for another
and it even says in the book that its rare, but some barbs just get totem abilitys, not an actual spirit. so really if your dm let you, you could pick any of 5 options for your three abilities you get

that being said, like other posters have mentioned in this thread ANYONE with the right skills can find things to do out of combat
the problem is, anyone can do those things, not just barbs
the only thing out of combat they really really excel at that no one else can, is str (instead of cha) based intimidation tolls, and any barb gets that
>>
>>47502034
naw man I'm getting old and I can't drive either it's all good (I mean I live in a place with good public transportation, but still...)

I'm assuming you live in Ass Nowhere, or close to it, so maybe playing online isn't a terrible idea. or you can rope your friends to coming to your place if you can make them, get the starter set and tell them you have a cool new game you can all play, then lock the doors before they realize it's D&D and not the latest CoD or Battlefield
>>
>>47502097
>forgot my whole point with a wall of text
it DOES theoretically have the best barb damage though
but honestly if i was making a barb just for damage, i would rather charge a guy and headbutt him in the dick as an elk totem or just regular charge him as a tiger for an extra attack
>>
>>47501957
>having friends
>posting on German Forest Witaker enthusiasts board

Pick one
>>
File: mystic 1.jpg (111KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
mystic 1.jpg
111KB, 900x900px
What's a decent level split for a level 10 Cleric/Monk?
>>
>>47502626

5/5

You need d6 unarmed die and stunning blow before ever deviating from monk
>>
>>47483482
Is there any way I can generate a Necromancer in 5e? It needs to be a fully fleshed out character sheet in order to work as a nemesis, as I have planned. I really don't want to just make a Wizard with Necromancy school.
>>
>>47503016
Is it going to be an NPC or a Player class?
>>
>>47502855
Good point. Which would be the best class to start in?

I'm thinking probably Monk, because Cleric just gives you armour and weapon proficiencies, which you don't even want as a monk, and a holy symbol, which you can get through the acolyte background.

Dex saves are also more common than Wis saves, in my experience.
>>
>>47503016
Player class
>>
>>47503016
If you're using PC rules to make it, full necromancy wizard is actually the best way to do it anyway.

There's the option to do Death Cleric instead.

Or for a really outside option, Lore Bard to steal necromancy spells.
>>
File: personnel.jpg (33KB, 447x412px) Image search: [Google]
personnel.jpg
33KB, 447x412px
You must gather your party before venturing forth.
>>
>>47503090
Different guy, but to be honest Monk doesn't multiclass well.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Because it would almost certainly be easier to just be a single class and take a relevant feat.
>>
Tell me, what is the worst possible multiclass that's possible?
>>
>>47492798

If the abilities refreshed on a long rest, sure, but the druid gets wild shapes back on a short rest. And he likes to stretch the shapes as much as he can, and does stay in form for the full 3 hours.
>>
>>47503233
Do you have anyone else as a healer, or could you use saving other people to convince him to drop form and save them?
>>
>>47503212
Probably paladin/monk or paladin/ranger, since you have to have 13 str and cha to multiclassing out of paladin and 13 dex and wis to multiclassing into monk or ranger. So you would end up with very average stats and clashing combat styles, making it hard to shine in any department
>>
>>47501500
because WOTC doesn't know how to make money and hates fun.
>>
>>47503262
I did go after everyone else in the group a couple of times, but it felt extremely cheap. Also there are a couple of characters in the party with Medicine and healer's kits, and they've succeeded in stabilising downed characters without issue thus far.

I'll consider some intelligent monsters threatening to coup de grace downed characters to create some new dynamics maybe. Force the druid to shift to human form to hold person or something.
>>
>>47503368
Another option is making non-combat opportunities for Wildshape use. Do they need to eavesdrop on someone? Sure, the rogue could do it, but... there are a LOT of guards, and I bet they wouldn't notice a mouse or a spider, right?
>>
>>47503430
Wizard's familiar has worked excellently for such opportunities in the past.
>>
File: 5e_EE_Spells_Wizard_Portrait.png (145KB, 270x294px) Image search: [Google]
5e_EE_Spells_Wizard_Portrait.png
145KB, 270x294px
>>47501500
>>47501833
>>47502001
:(
:'(
:/

>>47502626
>>47502855
>Aarakocra: 50ft fly speed
>Barbarian5: +10 speed
>Monk15: +25 speed
>Mobile feat: +10 speed
95ft fly speed, bonus action dash with ki or rage.

If you standard action dash and bonus action dash, you can fly 285 feet per turn.
>>
From the warlock invocation repelling blast, if I target one creature with more than one eldritch blast, do they get knocked back from each separate beam?

My gut feels like probably not, since it's instantaneous, as in, they'd all be hitting at once, right?
>>
>>47503470

You can only ever dash once, love.
>>
>>47503430
Really pisses me off when I see this kind of suggestion.

Not because it's a bad idea. But because my DM is such a peace of shit that he never lets a spider or a rat go unnoticed. It's fucking dumb.

>Okay, I turn into a really tiny spider and crawl up the wall to get a view of the place.
>Okay, as you crawl into the room they immediately notice the spider and squash you, you revert. Roll initiative.
>>
>>47503582
They stack
>>
>>47503615
Oh shit, really? That's pretty cool.

I was thinking there would be a slim chance they might, since you roll a different attack for each one.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Combat_Dash.png (410KB, 562x310px) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Combat_Dash.png
410KB, 562x310px
>>47503583
I'm doubting you because I've never seen something that negates it. Can you tell me where to look for that ruling? (genuinely curious here, not being a dick)
>>
>>47503647
It's per hit so yeah, same as the bonus damage
>>
>>47503660

Well the general ruling is that you can only substitute taking the hide action as your bonus action instead, not that it gives you extra actions.

If you have cunning action, you could use your bonus action to disengage and your action to dash, or your action to dash and your bonus action to hide, not dashing twice.

Although I guess there isn't anything explicitly preventing that either, so do as you please.
>>
File: line our minds with eyes.gif (2MB, 540x225px) Image search: [Google]
line our minds with eyes.gif
2MB, 540x225px
>>47490901
Warlock was a practiced street hustler and scam artist, ended up pickpocketing a little black book containing the scrawlings of a madman.
Warlock now wants to commune with a Great One and tap into eldritch knowledge, all the while adding to the little black book in any way he can.
>>
Away from PHB right now- you DON'T add DEX to a ranged spell attack, right? Just proficiency and the spell stat?
>>
>>47504235
correct
>>
>>47504243
Good, I was just driving and the thought occurred to me, I'd have been so mad if I forgot an additional +2 to my RSA rolls.

Would that make for a good feat, though? Or is it too OP?
>>
>>47504271
Definitely too op
>>
>>47504271
>add two ability mods to an attack

waaaaay too OP
>>
>>47504303
>>47504321
Just asking.

Broad question, IS DEX the most versatile ability score? It adds to armor class, can be used with ranged and melee attack rolls, lots of great skills that can be used with it...
>>
>>47504406
As far as I'm concerned it is.

Initiative.
Ranged and finesse melee attacks.
Adds to AC unless wearing heavy armour.
One of the most common saves.
Fair few associated skills, some of which are used a lot and by everyone.

Compared to str, which has: most melee attacks, athletics.
Not even close.
>>
>>47504406
Dex:
-AC modifier
-ranged and melee weapons
-stealth, thieves' tools, acrobatics, sleight of hand
-initiative modifier
-crafting
-playing stringed instrument (outlander/entertainer rogues who play the violin are bad-asses; even moreso if they take expertise in violin: enjoy your +17 to all violin performance checks)

Strength:
-determines jump height/distance
-has only one skill, Athletics, but that skill covers basically every single strength check you could think of (running faster, jumping higher/farther, breaking down a door, grappling, climbing, escaping restraints,etc), so you only spend one proficiency but you get essentially many skills in one
-can be used with thrown melee weapons and regular melee weapons

Constitution:
-hit point maximum
-lung capacity
-drinking contests
-endurance

Intelligence:
-most importantly, allows you to roleplay your character as being at least as intelligent as you
-spellcasting ability modifier
-Arcana, History, Nature, Religion
-Investigation can be pretty useful
-disguise, forgery, skill-games like chess

Wisdom:
-Perception and Insight
>Passive Perception (ie: if this is high, it is difficult to surprise you)
>Passive Insight (ie: if this is high, you're pheonix wright)
-animal handling (meh), medicine (meh), survival (situational but usually meh)
-PHB says wisdom can be used to get a gut feeling as to which course of action to take (ie: wisdom check to ask DM "what should we do?")

Charisma:
-performance (can earn you mad cash), persuasion (getting laid), intimidation, deception

Sooo, I'd say Dexterity > Wisdom > Intelligence > Constitution > Strength > Charisma
>>
>>47504901
Charisma:
-performance (getting laid), persuasion (getting laid), intimidation (getting laid), deception (getting laid)

fixed that for ya
>>
>>47504793
Oh yeah, Initiative, too.
>>47504901
>CHA at the bottom
>tfw Sorcerer
W-well that's got a lot to do with the, uh, DM's discretion and roleplay so it's sort of a sidebar AS.
>>
>>47504901
It depends on your group's playstyle. If your DM runs dungeon crawls with little to no RP, then you want Dex, Wis and Con as your primaries. If you play rp-heavy with only a few combat encounters interspersed, you're going to want Wis, Cha and Int as your primaries.
>>
>>47504901
Performance is charisma. Dex does not get added to instrument performances as per raw, but DM can hand wave this.

Anyways, your not wrong per say with your analysis, but str can also be used to wear heavier armor which in turn increases your ac. It all so allows you to carry a lot more gear/supplies/loot/ect. Especially if you go goliath, which allows you to carry up to 600 pounds of stuff without worry.
>>
>>47505061
>I hop up onto the stage with my violin and play a hearty fiddle tune
>"Okay, give me a Charisma (Performance) check."
>"No, I'm rolling a Dexterity (tool: musical instrument) check, thanks."
>>
>>47505133
> The audience continues doing whatever they were doing, perhaps only passingly acknowledging the presence of background music. Your performance fails to captivate any of them.
>>
>>47505061
RTFM
>>
>>47505133
>The difference between pop vs prog

Unrelated, has anyone had any experience using Shadows? My party are at level 7, and the CR suggests I can comfortably throw twelve of the things at them before it even edges into a Medium encounter. However, their Strength Drain ability has me wary - with that many incoming attacks it would be very easy to accidentally kill a PC. But using a more manageable number means that it's entirely possible for the party to blow through them all in less than two rounds. They just seem very swingy as far as encounter design goes.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>47505133
I'm quite positive that you can't add expertise to tools unless they are thieves tools, assuming that even is a thing, and I have high doubts it is.

>>47505246
I would be quoting the book but I don't have it on hand atm.
>>
>>47488380

My half-Orc "wizard" (a barbarian 1/sorcerer 1 who doesn't know the difference between different schools or even types of magic) cast burning hands on some enemies guarding a prince we were sent to rescue.

>DM: "Alright you don't have a use of Tides of Chaos, right?"
>Me: "Nope."
>DM: "Well I'll let you get that back." (looks over at my friend) "Roll a d100 and let me know what that gets on the Wild Magic Chart."
>d100: "7"
>Everyone at the table looks at me.
>Me: "Gronk casts fireball as a third level spell on himself."
>I drop to -10 HP, kicked to 1 thanks to that Relentless Endurance. Half-Orc ranger and wood elf monk both make their saves, but take some damage. Half the guards save, the other half succeed, but none of them are knocked out (very badly wounded though).
>The NPC coming to help us keeps glaring at Gronk since I was one square away from immolating the prince.

I regret nothing.
>>
>>47505189
Clearly you've never been a musical performer. A singer would need a little performance check (you don't need charisma to have a nice singing voice, what would even modify how well a character sings?) because she interacts with the audience, but instrumentalists are hardly expected to go AC/DC and dance around the stage.

Besides, it's literally the rules as written.
>>
>>47505290
See >>47505303
>>
>>47504901
>charisma at the bottom
>the attribute that's used most often to bypass combat altogether
Dude you fucking dumb.

Dex > Wis > Cha > Con > Int > Str
>>
>>47505344
I think it's more about how many different bases each ability score covers, not how useful each individual one is.
>>
>>47488630
>>47488659

Person who was leaning towards Rogue went Paladin and the fifth went Druid.

Sadly the guy who rolled Warlock decided to bail at about 10:30 for unspecified reasons after we rolled characters.
>>
>>47505344
Well that's rude.

Diplomatizing the BBEG will make for a pretty anticlimactic end to a campaign.
>>
>>47505303
> Play a stringed instrument
Not at all the same as capturing an audience's attention. But sure, I suppose you've never walked past a shitty panhandler before.

> Clearly you've never- a hyuck hyuck
Toolbox.
>>
>>47505383

Cha is the only thing standing between you and execution once you're beaten.
>>
>>47505335
>>47505303
Ok, I see "the DM *might* call for a dexterity check when" "playing a stringed instrument." So it's a DM to DM based situation. However, I'm almost positive you can't add expertise to tools proficiencies outside of thieves tools. I'm looking for the exact wording of expertise now.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Classes_Rogue_Expertise.png (379KB, 578x273px) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Classes_Rogue_Expertise.png
379KB, 578x273px
>>47505393
>at a show-pub
>"this guitarist isn't jerking me off while he plays, i'm bored"
Take your crippling attention deficit disorder out of this thread.

>shitty panhandler
What does that have to do with the discussion? Do you realize what a panhandler is? Literally someone who handles a pan on the street begging for passersby to put coins in it.

>skilled buskers
Gather an audience all the time, I see it every day. And yeah, clearly you have never.
>unskilled autist telling me that scheduled instrumental performances are boring for the willingly present audience

>a hyuck hyuck
>an autist thinks that musicians are moronic and he's above them
I mean, I'm not surprised, you surely don't have much to be proud of. Gotta delude yourself somehow.

>>47505432
>"TECHNICALLY, it says MIGHT ;)"
Yeah, the guide also suggests that a DM *might* call for a strength check to break down a door. Might in this case means "we didn't include a skill for every type of [Skill] check possible, so feel free to use [Skill] for things that would apply, such as..."

You're correct on the expertise though, it's only for skills and rogues get to use it with thieves' tools.
>>
>>47496492

Yeah. A dagger is a finesse weapon, so it's legit even if thrown. But it depends on whether you want to use your actions to retrieve a dagger instead of just..y'know, carrying more daggers.
>>
>>47501942
We are looking for a player in my Sunday game (online, voice, Lost Mines of Phandelver. Good GM) Put your contact info here and we'll invite you
>>
>>47505567
> Freaks the fuck out
> Calls everyone else an autist
Speaking of unwarranted self-importance...
>>
>>47496575

Yeah, but firebolt has no thunder or force damage, so it shouldn't blow holes in anything. Only set it on fire and slowly smolder.

Use Eldritch Blast or Magic Missile."Next"
>>
>>47505567
Fair enough.

In truth I have nothing against using dex to play a string instrument, though depending on what end goal your trying to reach I would say performance (cha) would generally be more appropriate than using dex.
>>
>>47505655
Is this on roll20?
>>
If an ancient wizard is using Magic Jar to possess the body of a much younger person, and then they cast Simulacrum, is the Simulacrum one of their original, ancient body, or their current, possessed body?
>>
>>47505837
Fantasy Grounds. GM has super special ultimate edition, so we players can use FG fully for free
>>
>>47505848
And on another note, if you cast Simulacrum, then used Magic Jar to inhabit the body of your Simulacrum, could your new simulacrum-body then regain health and spells as normal?
>>
>>47506126
>>
Anyone know of a one to three session adventure suitable for 5th to 10th level parties?
>>
>>47503135
Hail Hydra.
>>
>>47503660
hes wrong you can dash twice if you can dash as a bonus action
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.