[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>an ancient evil is so strong that if he tried to pet a kitten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 290
Thread images: 35

File: 1463971901578.png (934KB, 1804x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1463971901578.png
934KB, 1804x1300px
>an ancient evil is so strong that if he tried to pet a kitten he'd crush it
>>
>>47417095
>AINZ
>OOAL
>GOWN
Did the guy have a stroke ?
>>
>>47417116

It was the name of his guild.
>>
File: Stardust-6.jpg (22KB, 340x363px) Image search: [Google]
Stardust-6.jpg
22KB, 340x363px
I really don't see the appeal of overlord unless you're the type of person that thinks skeletons are the height of comedy. It's like fucking stardust only grimdark
>>
>>47417095
Like that bit in Hulk: Grey?
>>
File: 1459555331400.jpg (128KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459555331400.jpg
128KB, 800x700px
>>47417182

skletons are pretty funny anon
>>
>>47417182
Stardust didn't fight for his friends.
>>
>>47417116
It was supposedly a term that his friends (whom he was looking for) would know, so he vowed to spread it across the land in hopes of them meeting up.
>>
>>47417182
It's a bit of an unusual approach to the formula, with the POV being on the "raid boss" and the crap he has to put up with. I'm looking forward to next season when he actually has something that can stand a chance against him.
>>
>>47417095
Get rekt worst girl
>>
>>47417536
That's not lupusregina.
>>
File: overlord.webm (2MB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
overlord.webm
2MB, 848x480px
>>47417095

Wizard kills melee fighter with hugs.
>>
So the gist of this story is a level 20 DnD character travels to a land where you cap out at like level 5?
>>
>>47417895
Well all I've seen from the show was basically that, but I don't know where the LN goes
>>
Overlord is fucking terrible.
>>
>>47417847

To be fair, that's like an epic level wizard vs a level 10-12 Fighter.

At that point the Wizard's stats are so huge it doesn't matter what the Fighter does.

>>47417941

It goes a lot more in detail about his thoughts, and to be honest I enjoyed it quite a bit as the author kept things fairly decently paced with the proper amount of action. Just ever since it was lisenced the translator group dropped it. Its been a year and the official translation is only releasing book 3 by Sept. The translator group finished novel 9 and novel 10 is out in Japanese.

I'm not holding my breath and thankful novel 9 didn't end on a super cliffhanger.

Momon vs Jalbalboth arc was fucking incredible however, showed how sadistic and brilliant the bastard really is.
>>
>>47417895
Pretty much except the mc is still worried about running into other players because his guild was notorious for pking and he's using a roleplaying build.
>>
>>47418022
...The hell does he get with a roleplaying build? What even is that? Does he stack charisma skills?
>>
File: 1455240816478.webm (707KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
1455240816478.webm
707KB, 1067x600px
>tfw La-Shub Niggurath will never be animated
>>
>>47418052

Roleplaying build as he mainly maxed out his instant kill power, which such things in his game generally had fuckoff high resistance to it in the late game.
>>
>>47417116
Nigga, is you really mocking Lord Heinz, Elder Ketchup and Overlord of Condiments?
>>
>>47418079
So what, did he just go around destroying entire villages in one stroke?
>>
>>47418105
Remember that it was an MMO before, so not exactly. He can kill nearly infinite amounts of faceless mooks instantly though. He essentially bought all of the instant death and summoning spells. Neat thing is he unlocked a secret class with a bitchin trump card ability from learning all the Death spells.
>>
>>47418062
>Dumb-Dumb can't even into ball right
No surprise there
>>
>>47418052
He just took levels in anything involving necromancy or death spells without considering how effective it would be, but he has so much gear that he might as well be a raid boss compared to the average player.

>>47418105
His guild focused on killing other players and they weren't interested in fair fights, so they ended up with a terrible reputation.
>>
>>47418142

He does have some blasto offense spells. Dragon Lightning is like a 6th tier after all. Hell one of his Ultimate spells is a blasto spell even.
>>
>>47418187
Oh yeah, his Heaven's Fall or w/e is fucking monstrous. Fortunately for him his RPing didn't preclude taking the race/class combo with access tot he largest number of spells in the game. Essentially he's a utility caster with a focus on death and summoning.
>>
File: 092[1].jpg (286KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
092[1].jpg
286KB, 1280x1280px
>>47417182
>unless you're the type of person that thinks skeletons are the height of comedy
What kind of "person" doesn't?
>>
>>47418215

That race choice wasn't intention. IIRC he just thought it was cool.

And considering that he, and most likely almost everyone back then went into YGGDRASIL blind, it was mostly gut pics I think.
>>
>>47418256
Didn't say that it was intentional, just that his choice happened to be optimal within the confines of his RP concept.
>>
>>47417977
>Overlord is fucking terrible.
I like that the main character is from a world where huge corporations ruled, there was massive unemployment problem and the corporations were trying to find ways to deal with all the useless eaters since they were stuck with paying them to live.

Luckily for the main character that he was "teleported" to an other world exactly like the videogame his brain was plugged into before the corporation did anything like cut off his welfare check. Note that the videogame was made by the same corporation which was trying to find a way to deal with all the useless eaters who did nothing but play videogames all day.
>>
>>47417977
>Overlord is the best MMO anime
fix'd
>inb4 Log Horizon
snorefest
>SAO
LOL
>>
>>47418351
>Note that the videogame was made by the same corporation which was trying to find a way to deal with all the useless eaters who did nothing but play videogames all day.

>Create a problem
>Get government funding to solve that problem
Sounds like a corporation to me.
>>
>>47417977
Agreed. You can only watch so many battles where the main characters just steamroll without any apparent effort or danger before it gets really tedious.
>>
>>47418385
I think I would actually count SAO as better than Overlord. Overlord is just watching Mr Skelly win everything without any real resistance. SAO is just generic garbage, but it wasn't exceptionally bad until they got out of the first MMO

But Log Horizon was significantly better. Even after the Studio Deen treatment I'd say it was better than both of those
>>
File: Megumi apple.webm (651KB, 840x472px) Image search: [Google]
Megumi apple.webm
651KB, 840x472px
>>47418559
>Even after the Studio Deen treatment
They did a pretty good job with KonoSuba though, which is almost a "dork stuck in MMORPG" anime.
>>
>>47418422
>>47418559
Somebody hasn't read the LNs. In any case not every show with action needs to be a shonen. If Overlord was a tabletop it'd be much more Exalted than DnD, about what to do when you have power rather than about gaining it.
>>
>>47418351

What?

Momonga from what was said in the novels had a steady job. It didn't get him literally everything, but it supported him well enough and his company did actually help him (AKA: It wasn't outright hostile towards him)
>>
>>47418722
As I recall his job was just a grind he tolerated to fund his MMO addiction. If not for the rules of the guild he might have wound up a NEET.
>>
>>47418737

It the beginning days of his Guild he didn't spend any money on the MMORPG. I dunno what he spent his money on back then, but it wasn't YGG
>>
>>47418756
Hard to say, maybe he just saved it. From the sounds of it he had no friends outside of the game and just lived in a tiny studio apartment with few expenses - he may have just worked because he felt he was supposed to. He definitely spent every non-essential yen on gatcha items once the guild became important to him though.
>>
>>47417095
>Cult plan is tarrasque-cat breeding to make pettable kitten
>>
>>47418385
>>47418559

.Hack the best
>>
>>47417992
>novel 10 is out in jap
not for another 6 days its not
and nigel, the translator, is still translating it, it just cant be hosted on the old site anymore
>>
>>47418886

Oh that's actually amazing.

I'll buy the english novels, just that if they're taking that long my patience has a limit.
>>
>>47418886
>>47419018
Just an FYI, Nigel translates from chinese so it will still take a bit.
>>
>>47418886

>it just cant be hosted on the old site anymore

Where now? I want to read this and Ive not read light novel translations before, can I just find it easily with googling or?
>>
>>47419519
There is usually a general on /a/. They have a MEGA link i believe.
>>
File: WOAH BOYS.jpg (371KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WOAH BOYS.jpg
371KB, 1920x1080px
>>47419526

good advice, I found this

cheers

https://mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg
>>
>>47419570
Yup thats the one. Still havent gotten around to the drama cds yet
>>
>>47418351
But mc and his guild were all employed.
>>
>>47417095
Oh no! Poor kitty!
>>
Overlordy gets fucking edgy as the series goes on, with all that experiments on humans and feeding them their own children.
>>
>>47421412
Because they are eeeeeviiiiil!
>>
>>47417128
His guild started as an informal group of nine guys who all played monstrous races. In a game where many humanoid characters could get easy XP and unlock new powers by killing monster PCs. And they mostly adventured outside of monster territory, where it was easy for PKers to reach them, which caused other players to refer to the group as a bunch of fools.

"Ainz Ooal Gown" is a corruption of the group's self-mocking name before it became a guild: "Nine's Own Goal".
>>
>>47417895
It's more like an lv40 character in an lv10 world, but yeah. Most of the focus is on the protagonist slowly going mad with power (and his inability to drink bad coffee).
>>
>>47418385
That doesn't mean it isn't shit, it just means you found a polished turd.
>>
>>47417847
I can't tell who's saying what here so the meaning of this scene is muddied. Use colored text or something.
>>
>>47417095
That's pretty shitty then, strength without restraint is worthless and unable to be used constructively.

>Implying that you don't already have a skeleton inside of you, grinning.
>>
>>47421643
Oh hey, Is this actually about getting mad with power and out-edging himself?

Because that's seriously awesome.

There more I hear about Overlord, the more interesting It appears to be.
I know It's another OP Mc in a fantasy world but the author sure makes some interesting choices.
>>
>>47422981
Read the lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hozW87wd7A

>A 30-something salaryman had no friends except for his guildmates in an MMO, and the guild has fallen apart, leaving him filled with yearning for the good old days.
>Then the guild dungeon gets transported to another world. Protag gets trapped in his max-level Elder Lich avatar, and all the NPC inhabitants they created together become real.
>Protag now has a horrifying appearance that sends most people fleeing in terror, has lost half of his senses, and all of his emotions have been dulled. But he doesn't have time to process this because...
>Since it was an evil-themed RP guild, most of the NPCs are evil. The protag is ridiculously paranoid (he played a high-level D&D wizard, after all) and thinks the NPCs will kill him if he ever drops the act of being an inscrutable evil overlord. So he acts very intimidating on the outside, but half of his narration consists of [screams internally].
>At the same time, the NPCs remind him of his old guildmates. In his grief he loves them like children, nieces and nephews.
>The NPCs decide to conquer the world for him, and he kind of gets swept up in the flow.
>>
File: 1445055888466.jpg (55KB, 503x518px) Image search: [Google]
1445055888466.jpg
55KB, 503x518px
>>47422981
>>47423308
Another reason to watch it is the walking, talking reaction image generator known as Albedo
>>
File: 992.jpg (82KB, 325x450px) Image search: [Google]
992.jpg
82KB, 325x450px
>>47417095
Did someone say "actually good and fun VRMMO manga"?

No? Huh, must've been the rats.
>>
>>47417847
Shinji, is that you?
>>
>>47423634
I forget, was that LN a ripoff of Only Sense Online or was it the other way around?
>>
>>47424023
I don't remember, but even if VRMMO Ossan is a rip-off of Only Sense, who says that the rip-off can't be better than the original?
And it's got manga adaptation a while ago too.
>>
File: 1440524378864.jpg (157KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1440524378864.jpg
157KB, 750x750px
>>47422827

It's how you're supposed to roleplay Low DEX high STR.

Any character with DEX 5 or more points less than their STR should be going around like everything is made of paper and eggshells, making rolls for things they don't normally roll for like picking up tankards without crushing them in their grasp or opening doors without utterly destroying them.
>>
>>47424248
>Any character with DEX 5 or more points less than their STR
Did you have a stroke writing this?
You could've just as easily written "any character with STR exceeding DEX by 5 or more".
>>
>>47424248
I see where you're coming from but it makes little sense. Dex is mostly precision, agility etc. A character with 18 (superhuman) strength but 12 (above average) dexterity shouldn't be walking around on eggshells all the time. That eggshell thing depends on high strength and low restraint or understanding of their strength (not expressable in stats).
>>
>>47417095
I feel like I read somewhere that the manga fucked up the story somehow. Is that true?
>>
>>47417977
yep. Nothing of any importance happened.
>>
>>47417182
It's an interesting take on a tired and formulaic concept. Overlord does the whole 'Trapped in an MMO' thing a lot better than the other shows in that subgenre, which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot, but you know. It largely has a different focus.

It's fairly interesting to note that there are some actual character arcs in there, and they have some significant depth, which is somewhat unique for Nippon media in general since the Japs tend to prefer their power fantasy animu relatively static and tamed, essentially, dare I say it, bland. Firstly, the main character is actually evil. Not angsty, so that the self-insert viewer can pretend they are a badass antihero type, but straight up, puppy kicking, grandmother extorting evil, and completely unrepentant in that respect. He's not a character who is meant to be looked to as a role model of any sort, as such, or even empathised with. So, having totally disconnected him from any sort of audience insertion, the author was free to explore a lot of less well known aspects. This applies mainly to Momonga, but in fact can be seen in essentially all of the characters.

Hence why the main character, while personable, comes off as completely pathetic despite being fun to watch.
>>
>>47418422
Powerlevel battles aren't the point of the show.
>>
>>47418052
He just did whatever the fuck he thought was cool. It's effective enough, but only because he's not fighting other players and he's max level in a world where most everything is mook tier.

I mean, it did unlock some cool abilities which nobody else found, but TGOALID is stated to be of only limited usefulness in pvp due to the abundance of autolife abilities.
>>
>>47418079
But that's wrong. The Goal of All Life is Death is something he chanced upon via his build which removes ALL resistance to instant death from EVERYTHING in it's effect. He didn't pump everything into instakills, he pumped everything into necromancy and lich stuff because he wanted to roleplay a necromantic lich. The instakill thing was a coincidence.
>>
>>47425731
>Firstly, the main character is actually evil.

Tired of this meme.
>>
File: 1443906317235.png (806KB, 732x720px) Image search: [Google]
1443906317235.png
806KB, 732x720px
>>47423308
Shit. I never realised the lyrics of the OP literally describe Momonga's character arc from start to finish.

>>47423519
Shalltear has some good reactions as well. Aura best girl. There is no worst girl.
>>
>>47425956
Show me another anime protagonist who is unambiguously evil.
>>
>>47426043
>another

That implies Ainz is evil. He isn't.
>>
>>47426056
Are you just trying to be contrary? He's textbook neutral evil. Every single otherwise good act he performs is either a long-term manipulation or based in paranoia and fear of retribution.

Just because he doesn't murder kittens 100% of the time he is on screen doesn't make him any less of a blatant psychopath with access to reality distorting magic. Okay, he might start true neutral, but by the end of the third novel he has plunged into the deep end of the alignment pool without any remorse because he literally cannot feel empathy, and it only goes further downhill from there.
>>
>>47425956
Have you only watched the anime or something? Did you forget the part where he kills 250 000 people and doesn't feel even slightly bad about it?
>>
>>47426043

>holding a shitty mmo hostage by being desperate and never wanting to let it go is considered evil

yikes
>>
>>47417182
>I really don't see the appeal of overlord
I love it because of Demiurge's, and to a lesser extent, the other minions, continual ability to interpret the most banal comments from Ainz as height of absolute EVIL, and Ainz's continual attempts to play catch up and act the proper part of evil overlord.
>>
>>47426199

Emotion dulling is a powerful thing.
>>
>>47426198

>Every single otherwise good act he performs is either a long-term manipulation or based in paranoia and fear of retribution.

Lord Ainz does not do things out of fear and paranoia. All of his acts are part of a long term plan that not even the wisest of sages can fully phantom.
>>
>>47425524
The manga skips most of the actually-evil stuff Nazerick does and replaces it with comedy. Heck, even the anime doesn't go into it as much as the LNs.

Like the whole
>Ainz: "Tell me Demiurge, where did you find materials for this parchment? It's surprising that there was something which holds magic so well."
>Demiurge: *grins darkly* "Two-legged sheep. We have constructed a farm where we use regeneration magic to ensure a steady harvest."
conversation

In the LN Ainz is aware of Demiurge's sadism and starts to realise that "two-legged sheep" is probably a euphemism, but drops that line of thought because he needs scrolls and it's no good getting worked up about where they're coming from.
In the anime Ainz just says "Huh, never heard of that monster".
In the manga the conversation never happens at all.
>>
>>47418351
he was a celeryman who was middle class enough to own a computer
>>
>>47417095
>It was his old kitten, put to sleep with him.
>He goes to his old lich buddy to fix it.
>Is actually quite distressed about the whole ordeal, it was named Lord Fluffywhiskers!
>>
>>47426198
>He's textbook neutral evil

He genuinely cares for his subjects and is willing to put his life on the line for them. An "evil" person wouldn't do that.
>>
>>47426505
Well that sucks. Do you know of a good site to read the LN at? I've never really read any before.
>>
>>47426761
You should try reading the thread, retard.
>>
>>47426654
Yes they would. A loving father can also be a torturer who takes pride (and a bit of delight) in his work, humming happily as he shoves a red-hot iron pocker into some guy's wife because said guy was labelled a traitor.
>>
>>47426761
Not him, but I should warn you that due to the nature of Japanese language (kanji difficulty tiers) and LNs being oriented and marketed mostly to teens, the writing of almost every LN is ATROCIOUS. It is incredibly stilted in the original language, and the translation process only makes it worse.
That said, BakaTsuki is a good place to start when looking for LNs.
>>
>>47426811
You're either viewing good and evil as black and white that can be objectively quantified or applying D&D alignment where it doesn't belong. Either way, you're wrong. Ainz isn't evil.
>>
>>47426773
>guy doesn't care about something as much as me
>better insult him, that'll change his mind
>>
>>47426505
Never mind that the LN actually shows us that "farm" first-hand. It has stuff like evil clowns who force people to eat their own babies.

And while Ainz never visited the farm himself, he knew the clown's personality and that it was working there.

>>47426654
You're describing the "Stupid Evil" alignment, aka the reason why so many DMs ban evil PCs.
>Of course I betrayed the others, I'm evil! :^)
>>
>>47426887
Evil people are entirely self serving and would betray others if it furthered their goals.
>>
>>47426927
Helping out people who you know will help you out later, is being self-serving
>>
>>47417095
Source?
>>
>>47426824
It says its been taken down on bakatsuki
>>
>>47417095
>an ancient evil makes another thread with one line of greentext
>>
>>47426943
It's not self serving because everything he does is for his subjects.
>>
>>47417095
Like Re:Monster, I liked Overlord at first. Then it got into creepy grimdark crap instead of just 'OP hero in fantasyland'.
>>
>>47426761
skythewood or the mega link https://mega.nz/#F!9gcB1JTS!WHAlQqEoYUgpdy8cdCg5qg

>>47426824
Moonese is a horribly constrained language when you compare it to English. Be ready for strings to be cut.

>>47426943
>implying Papa Bones doesn't love his children more than anything else
>>
>>47427101
Overlord never gets as dumb as Re:Monster. Re:Monster literally has a scene where the protagonist is attacked by a succubus, and instead of fighting back he goes with it for six hours until she dies of exhaustion, then talks about how boring it was and eats her corpse.
>>
>>47427101
'Best Son' Demiurge is blatantly super evil. What did you expect him to do? Most of the NPCs are some flavor of evil, they will do things that seem evil to us because their victims are usually humans due to the area of the world they are in.

Ainz character sheet lists him as evil but honestly I haven't seen much that is edgy. Remember, he isnt really human anymore and yet he helps people quite often; thats why we got a farmgirl warboss. He doesn't care about killing people in the same way you wouldnt care about killing ants BUT by that same token he doesn't like inflicting pointless pain and killing. He also plays up the evil overlord act, practicing movements and lines. He is RPing almost 100% of the time he is awake.

Now I am not saying he hasn't grown into the position and is probably best characterized as Neutral Evil with a very heavy emphasis on the neutral; it is better to live under his rule than any of the other human kingdoms. He doesn't actually want to dominate the world, he wants to find friends so he isn't so lonely anymore.
>>
>>47418142
>Secret class
>In an MMO

Do these people ever play MMO's?
>>
>>47427475
The devs of the MMO wanted players to explore things on their own and not some min-max guide. The devs pretty much just give you the controls and say go make some of your own fun. This lead to information being guarded jealously by those who find things out. You have guilds doing EVE-tier shenanigans, people stumbling into classes, finding areas only accessible that have certain player requirements.

And if things seem shitty or confusing, just remember the player mantra "those shitty devs"
>>
>>47427636
That makes even less sense in an MMO!
>>
>>47427680
It's better to think of it being like a D&D tabletop game, with a ton of third party supplements that were considered legal.

Only thing is, there's no master guide to them, and people don't like to tell anyone else about the crazy shit they found in such and such book.
>>
>>47427475
Japanese people cannot into wikis.
>>
>>47427705
This just keeps making less and less sense as you explain it more.
>>
>>47427705
It might make more sense if you think about it that way, but that isn't the premise. It's mostly just another reason why Mr Skelly's conquers the world with no resistance fantasy kind of falls flat for me
>>
>>47426927
What if the evil person wants to stay on good terms with his minions? What if his goal, in and of itself, is to remain friends with the people who he chooses to be close to?

It's not as clear cut as 'selfish = evil, selfless = good'. It's possible to have selfless goals which are also evil.
>>
>>47426505
To be fair, in the LN ainz thought the two legged sheep was referring to some sort of chimera. He wouldnt have cared either way but at that point he thought it was monster skin.
>>
>>47427680
As>>47427705 says, its less WoW and more D&D. If you could find the equivalent of the locate city nuke or skeleton railgun, you'd keep that info secret and not spread it around. >>47427708 Is partially correct, they didn't want to make wikis and often put up false info.

Frankly I have never liked MMOs but YGGDRASIL sounds fun as fuck. Its unfortunate we dont have Matrix level VR.
>>
>>47427475
>>47427636
>>47427680
>>47427705
It's basically medieval fantasy EVE Online
>>
>>47427636
It also led to things like Victim being created, the NPC who caused so much furious butthurt from the players that the devs had to come out and officially announce that Victim was a legitimate character build and not an exploit.
>>
>>47427721
Its from a dystopian cyberpunk future where people are mostly assholes.
>>
>>47427808
>If you could find the equivalent of the locate city nuke or skeleton railgun, you'd keep that info secret and not spread it around.
That shit would be on youtube like 5 minutes after someone figures it out
>>
>>47427857
Have you never played Eve?

MMO communities can get extremely strange.
>>
>>47427753
Platinum dragon lord might be able to give him a fight with his wild magic. There is also the possibility of running into other players still.
>>
>>47427857
And it would be mixed in with so much false info that nobody would think it to be legit. The few that know will be ignored as crazy people or false flaggers.

Apparently the Ygg devs were really dedicated to their idea of how an MMO should work.
>>
>>47427753
I think a thing to miss is that the real focus on the story isn't as much on his conquering stuff as it is on his interactions, especially with the NPCs of his guild.

Like, a big part of the good humor of the show comes from his need to present himself as a great and intelligent leader to the NPCs of the guild when they could honestly give a shit how he acts. He could do whatever he wanted and they'd be just as loyal and accepting of him.

So he keeps trying to do shit to reward them for their loyalty when they're literately programmed to be loyal, and have no concept of being rewarded.

One of my favorite snippets from the LN was when the maids of the guild, who are straight level 1 NPCs, threw a giant fit when he tried to give them days off.
>>
>>47427872
EVE is an exception, not a standard
>>
>>47427822
Man Victim is great and probably works similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BXndOKbZN4

>>47427922
YGG is the new EVE in dystopian future Japan. Basically what>>47427820 says.
>>
>>47427753
>>47427808
>more D&D
Yggdrasil literally runs on D&D 3.5 rules (with the spellpoint variant from UA, and some buffs to martial classes). Shalltear even has a PrC from Libris Mortis.

>>47427883
There'll probably be a timeskip or something, with new players showing up after he's conquered the world and being completely horrified at how he acts.
>>
>>47427922
Just like EVE is an exception, so is the game in Overlord.
>>
>>47427753
Overlord is not a powerlevel anime. The fact that Ainz steamrolls everything pretty much without trying is basically a mechanism to frame the characters interaction, which is what the series is actually about.
>>
>>47427991
Plus the occasionally real fight from the natives.
>>
>>47427957
Nah, Victim doesn't explode, it just heals, resurrects, and buffs EVERY OTHER ENEMY when it dies.
>>
>>47428022
Sure. The fights which feature anybody except Ainz and Big Six are legit.
>>
>>47417414
>I'm looking forward to next season

>Madhouse show
>second season
>>
>>47428041
I was honestly hoping that the Lizardman arc would get animated(since it's in the OP and everything) mostly because all the fights in it sounded so good, even the hopeless one.
>>
>>47428056
It's all but confirmed

>>47428077
It was pretty good, yeah. Plus, character development for Best Bug.
>>
>>47428056
There's first time to everything.
Even you~
>>
>>47422777
It's mostly just him in a monologue while slowly crushing her spine. Her screams and gasps are delicious. Psycho had it coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdLkd70m48Y
>>
>>47427991
>>47428041
I think what most people don't wrap their heads around is that you have a bunch of plot device level characters. Imagine a whole bunch of Alucards from Hellsing that are devoted to a spooky skeleton Alucard Prime and that is what we are dealing with in Overlord. And furthermore, it is a comedy of errors and misunderstandings.

>>47428056
Don't do it anon, leave his optimism alone!
>>
>>47428191
I think Sebas is the best about this. Sebas does his best to actually try and fit in with the world at large, and generally does so normally.

But he's just so beyond every other person in the entire setting, and he tries to pretend he isn't.

And everyone who deals with him absolutely knows this, because it's so obvious. And they just don't even understand why he bothers trying to lie.
>>
>>47428026
Its been awhile since I've read about Victim and that is far better and more inline with the massive assholes/tactical geniuses that ran Nazarick. I still think its hilarious that Momonga's best bro made Shalltear. Hey dude Im making a pervy loli vampire waifu that is a hardcounter to you.

I still want to see Pandora's Actor in action as he is probably the most OP NPC there is.
>>
>>47428288
>Hey dude Im making a pervy loli vampire waifu that is a hardcounter to you.
You gotta admit, throwing a boss that does a total 180 on the expected theme and mechanics of the dungeon is a great move. People see that the guild is full of evil and undead characters, their base is a tomb, and their boss is a lich. Obviously they're going to come in geared to fuck up undead and tank unholy damage. Hell, Ainz was known to love that Grasp Heart save-or-die spell that undead are immune to. Other undead players would be able to walk through half his spellbook without batting a moldy eyebrow.
So what better way to throw them off than making them fight a holy-damage healspam tank?
>>
File: 1445236087599.png (253KB, 590x455px) Image search: [Google]
1445236087599.png
253KB, 590x455px
>>47428253
Sebas is best husbando and is really interesting to read about because he is a legitimately good guy but works with evil and serves an ostensibly evil master. In one scene you have him helping a little old lady cross the street and then in another just clearing out a hive of scum and villainy with maximum prejudice.

I think this may be Overlord's strong suit, the stark contrasts of what you expect, what other characters expect and what the plot device characters are doing.
>>
>>47428406
>that time someone did a move with the same name as his creators signature move
>>
>>47428406
>works with evil and serves an ostensibly evil master

Ainz isn't evil.
>>
>>47427883

At this point I'm wondering if Ainz's IRL self is just in a coma. Which in that case I'm half expecting a Total Recall moment where a guildmate appears and tells him to kill himself to end the dream and wake up.
>>
>>47428373
It reminded me a little of the /tg/ story of how to have vampires worshiping the sun(the great destroyer). And that is a good point from not only a combat/gaming level but also a story element on the dichotomy of what is expected and what happens. Then again, the author is known for roleplaying strange characters in his game so some of this shouldn't come as a surprise. I just wish the Nips had a better/more similes so I dont have to read how strings are being cut.

>>47428486
[JUSTICE NOISES INTENSIFY]
>>
>>47428547
Nigger it says "extreme evil" on his character sheet.
>>
>>47428556
>implying ainz wants to end the dream.
>>
>>47428253

What the hell is Sebas supposed to be anyways? With an attack and defense higher than nearly any other NPC in Nazarik, I'm wondering if he's supposed to be a Dragon or something.
>>
>>47428547
>ostensibly
>apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually.

Anon, I know how to use words.
>>
>>47428564
Part of that was the translator inserting like a puppet with its strings cut intentionally after people started to say it was showing up a lot.
>>47428601
He is. Maybe not a straight dragon but some sort of dragon type creature anyway.
>>
>>47428601
I recall someone calling him a dragonoid. He forms a Rock/Paper/Scissors triangle with Cocytus and Albedo.

>>47428631
I figured some of it was memes.
>>
>>47428573
Stop looking at things in tabletop alignments. Good and evil don't exist.
>>
>>47428601
Precisely. He's a shapeshifted dragon. A POWERFUL one.
>>
>>47428669
He set people up to invade his dungeon so he would have an excuse to start invading people. He then had at least one of those people eaten from the inside out by cockroaches while keeping him alive.
>>
>>47428669
Except when they do, as tangible and powerful forces with entire planes dedicated to them, and you know, mother fucking magic. Such as in Overlord. In the start of the story Mamon admits he can feel his emotions dulling and growing colder from being an Evil aligned Undead.
>>
>>47428588

Well it would be tragic in a sense. If by doing so it means none of Ainz's friend will ever appear again basically and he'd be completely alone. At that point he'd be forced to adopt his Ainz persona completely and utterly as there would be nothing left but his Guild.
>>
>>47428706

I thought that wasn't due to being evil, but just undead period.
>>
>>47428717
Still probably a better deal than however long he spent looking after the place alone in the real world.
>>
>>47428733
Nah, it's specified it's from being an Evil aligned Undead in the LN. Not sure about the manga or anime.
>>
>>47428658
He is the strongest offensively, Albedo is the strongest defensively and Cocytus is the best with weapons.
>>
>>47428699
He was initially against it but after travelling with them he decided it really didn't matter because they were in it for greed alone. Hell, if the one girl didnt end up having a magic induced vomit session and said she was trying to provide for her sisters Ainz would have more than likely helped her out, the dude loves kids.

>>47428706
I think its more from being a skeleton rather than being evil. I will have to read that part again.

>>47428759
Albedo>Sebas
Cocytus>Albedo
Sebas>Cocytus

Where this is stated I am not entirely sure anymore. Might have been a tweet for all I know. But yea, your description is on point.
>>
>>47428790

I think he fate was sealed the moment the adventurer head dude mentioned Ainz's friends. That really pissed him off.
>>
>>47428601
His character sheet says half-dragon, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>47417095
If someone was uncontrollably that strong, wouldn't they also not be able to walk, as every step sends them pirouetting through the air?
>>
>>47428852
Personally I think he took his last irrevocable step down the evil path when he refused to resurrect those adventurers he buddied up with on his first adventure as the black knight.
>>
>>47418351
Everyone on his guild has a job
>>
>>47428908
At least he saved that mages sister. Even if it was mostly sebas.
>>
>>47428852
literally mfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp9P6QvMjY

There is very little that gets his goat and its usually something to do with his old life.

>>47428908
Resurrection magic incurs level penalties. If you aren't a high enough level you simply disappear. Also he was trying to lay as low as possible while boosting that black knight image, he didn't want to draw the attention of someone that might pk him. It was a shitty situation truth be told and he was going for a kind of social/political victory.
>>
>>47428908

He didn't want to spread rumors that he could raise the dead IIRC.
>>
>>47428706
>Except when they do, as tangible and powerful forces with entire planes dedicated to them, and you know, mother fucking magic. Such as in Overlord.

Wrong.
>>
>>47428986
>>47428994
Yeah. Thanks for proving my point. He took the easy way out to hide his identity instead of manning up. He's a literal god who could crush all the nations on the planet if he got pissed enough, between his own obscene power and his even stronger servants.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. He chose to let people die when he could have changed it with barely as much effort as it'd take to fry a knight with a lightning bolt. I can MAYBE see that stupid argument working for when he refuses to ress the villagers. That's a lot of people, and someone would inevitably talk. But five adventurers he's already friendly with, who could EASILY be bribed into silence, IF they didn't agree to silence simply because he was their friend who literally brought them back to life?
>>
>>47429045
>What are Angels
>What are Demons
>What are Heaven and Hell, actual, literal planes of Good and Evil

My friend, you can't just say 'Wrong.' and have it be an acceptable answer.
>>
>>47429057
He hung out with them for like a day and a half. Not really worth it. The only human he has had any sort of respect for so far is gazef.
>>
>>47429057

>He's a literal god who could crush all the nations on the planet if he got pissed enough

He could, but it would cost considerable resources. Shalltear was mind controlled with a World Class item. Something the other nations could very well have. Considering one World tier item literally did plot (Oroborous let you ask the GM's to do you a favor, as far as even doing game updates) he has a right to be wary.

Hell, the mind controlling item is still out there. If someone pops one of those on Ainz's he's kinda fucked.
>>
>>47429113
Not so much anymore since they carry their own world tier items whenever they leave the base.
>>
>>47429113
That argument could apply a little NOW, and that's a maybe since they all use World Tier items of their own now, and generally have their guards up, but at the time he was pretty fuckin' sure that every bit of the magic in the world was a laughing stock compared to him. This was after the big deal with the 'strongest angel in all the world' being a low tier mob in Yggdrasil.
>>
>>47429057
You need to realize he doesn't know he's the strongest motherfucker in the world and is incredibly paranoid. The villagers wouldnt be able to rez, too low of a level. Rez magic is a big fucking deal and relegated to clerics. If some fuck huge warrior dude can also rez it would have drawn in loads of attention and quite possibly lead to him having to kill way more people(or other people killing people, same difference). He tries to be as careful as he can and its not like those adventures wouldn't have been killed anyway, psycho bitch was after potions boy.

It wasnt evil, just neutral. And 'evil' IS going to triumph and will do a fuck ton more good than good ever could in that world.
>>
>>47429177
At the time he was still worried about some other player coming out of fucking nowhere and wrecking his face.
>>
>>47428669
>Good and evil don't exist.

I hate alignments too, but working to an opposite extreme is just as stupid.

And holy fuck do I hate extreme relativists.
>>
>>47429211
So what I'm getting from all this is just what I said at the start. He took the easy way out because he didn't want people to know about him, despite the fact nothing could even so much as touch him. He was cowardly and selfish, and he's only gotten worse ever since, as his Undead and Evil natures have made him more and more monstrous and uncaring. He's the story's villain, even if he is a 'better option' than some of the other things in the world.
>>
>>47429177

Still, world class items. Considering they can do plot, he's paranoia in this sense is justified. Sure the strongest angel is a mob mook in Yggdrasil for him, but considering World Tier items (1) Break the rules of the game (2) Are insanely strong then he has a right to be paranoid. For all we know a World Class master sword could actually be a serious threat to him, and with the way he's acting (Remember, Momonga most likely knows all the World class items in Yggdrasil and what their effects possibly are roughly). This is a new world, one that has confirmed existence of World tier items.

Hell, it was only at the end of book 9 that he felt confident enough to demonstrate his power on a large scale war between kingdoms
>>
>>47429279
He literally could not revive them because they are too weak. He just happened to also not really care about them.
>>
>>47429279
He's not uncaring. He's just totally apathetic to the plight of anybody who he doesn't care about.

The entire rest of the world could explode and he would be sad not because a hundred million people died, but because he no longer has anything to conquer with his friends.
>>
File: 1423932200729.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1423932200729.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>people calling Overlord "trapped in an MMO" series when the characters are not trapped in an MMO but a real fantasy world
>>
File: weg_loghorizon.jpg (193KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
weg_loghorizon.jpg
193KB, 1100x500px
>>47429552
Log Horizon is also "real fantasy world", what's your point?
Isekai is isekai, regardless of justification given by the author.
>>
>>47429581
In LH the game becomes real. In overlord it is a seperate fantasy world that doesnt relate to the MMO the main character played.
>>
I just want to take a moment to say that the discussions this story can generate really do attest to its quality. It might not be the highest literature but it is good from the characters and world.

>>47429279
He is as uncaring about people as you are to lichen on rocks. He isn't human anymore you get that right? He is a sight better morally speaking than most other characters with any power. Is he good in the sense of lawful dumb paladin good? No. He is solidly neutral with a bit of evil on the side(unlike what his stats say being extreme evil).

>>47429552
If anything its trapped in a shithole world and then freed into a better world.

>>47429581
The MMO aspect is really just a pretense to transport a dude from a cyberpunk world into a fantasy world as a lich. It is pretty much dropped after that. Fuckin Aztechnology opening portals an shit.
>>
>>47429672
I wish the translation was better, because the actual narrative is fantastic.
>>
>Ainz isn't evil
>He just really, really likes Nazis
>>
>>47429993
Hey, it was a phase!
>>
>>47429993
Be honest, Nazis were on point when it came to fashion. Also the Japs are massive Wehraboos to the point where the author made WW3 have Environmental Nazis. Its like Greenpeace with SIEG HEIL
>>
>>47423308
He lived in a world that was basically Shadowrun too, couldn't go out without a suit because the air was fucking filthy.
>>
>>47426199
Broke my high score in goat herding, that's all that matters.
>>
>>47418351
>I like that the main character is from a world where huge corporations ruled, there was massive unemployment problem and the corporations were trying to find ways to deal with all the useless eaters since they were stuck with paying them to live.
Wait, what? Source?
>>
>>47423634
what's this, then?
>>
>>47427820
But there's nothing secret about the mechanics of EVE. Like, they get mined immediately from every update and scraped - the devs also don't keep secrets. Hell the entire fucking economy of EVE is scraped, every transaction logged by third parties and sifted through for valuable war data, trade route planning, and scamming.
>>
File: Vol_5_Stats_Sebastian_2.png (371KB, 800x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Vol_5_Stats_Sebastian_2.png
371KB, 800x1296px
>>47428601
Got his chara sheet.
>>
>>47430416
Procedurally downloaded content, perhaps? The game downloads the content you discover as you play, not downloading any of the rest until you gain access to it. Thus, there's no data to mine through.
>>
>>47430539
That'd be only for stuff like wormholes, escalation sites, DED sites, etc.

That stuff is all mechanically very well known. There are no hidden mechanics and no actually hidden areas (besides Jove space, but that's the devs/GM's test area on the main Tranquility server). At best you have areas where no one is currently in and are only 'hidden' because of a scanning mechanic. You can find them with probes and the d-scanner. THEN YOU AMBUSH THE FOOOOOOOLS WITHIN, RENDING THEIR SHIPS ASUNDER.

What actually is secret in EVE is logistics between players. Movement of items, non-market transactions, scouting information, positions of individual and groups of players working together in piracy or war objectives, etc.

There are no hidden mechanics in EVE or hidden content other than what amounts to procedurally generated space dungeons and quests.
>>
File: 1460152708851.png (252KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
1460152708851.png
252KB, 500x453px
>>47418351
You fucking what, m8?
explictly part of ainz ooal gown is that members
A. Had to be productive members of society, complete with jobs
B. be non human(oid?) races.

Something that
>>47427636
>>47427705
>>47427808
>>47427822
are missing explaining, is that it's such a garbage tier of an MMO that it would never make sense.
>Non humanoid races were bullied
seriously, they were bullied by the human races instead of being just another race, despite skeletons(for example) having a fuckton of resistances to basically everything.

>Literally everything was pay 2 win.
The reason ainz ooal gown was so fucking OP is because they literally shat money all over the guild. guild guardian NPCs had a personal level cap, normally, and a total level cap, and they like doubled it by paying, in addition to the massive amount of crap they piled into making the NPCs as OP as possible.
Ainz even mentions at one point spending a quite large amount of yen paying for what was essentially a gashapon machine with a -chance- for something in YGG.
Fully half the OP items he talks about having were bought with IRL cash.
>half the other players were completely retarded
Imagine a game that has guild vs guild combat
The entire guild has so many absurd items that they blatantly toss them out to their NPCs
The guild members are even more powerful than the NPCS, and there's usually at least one online, when their NPCs alone can wipe entire parties
All of the guilds treasure is stored in the deepest level
There's no real evidence that you could actually take their gear (all of it -was- bought, how often can you trade paid for items in games, unless the devs are jews)
And yet people kept fucking coming, instead of doing other shit with their time
There's a bunch of other stuff, but simply the fact that the guild was assaulted enough that Ainz had it immediately hidden and raised up to Defcon 1 once he got a grasp of the situation speaks enough.
>>
>>47430783
>seriously, they were bullied by the human races instead of being just another race, despite skeletons(for example) having a fuckton of resistances to basically everything.

Having played FFXI, I can tell you for a fact that Japanese people will give you shit for the race you pick, regardless of stats or benefits.
>>
>>47430882

If I played Yggdrasil, I'd attempt to play a Dragon off the bat.

Lack of cosmic items would probably hurt, but my stats would be so sky high that I really wouldn't give a shit.

Oh, and native flight.
>>
>>47430882
how the fuck do they give you shit for picking a race, especially if you ignore stats?
>>47430946
>god awful luck to when it comes to items
yeah, I'd probably do the same. in all likelyhood, I wouldn't ever have cosmic items normally.
>>
>>47427872
Are you fucking kidding? I remember a while back Rooks & Kings found a hella w-space PVP exploit and made a YT video detailing it.

Nevermind the numerous guides and videos put out by other major alliances.

Wikis, etc. are a fact of life in Western MMOs. MMO animes are shit because Eastern MMOs are shit.
>>
>>47431037

Dragon's could probably have some. Necklaces and rings may probably work. An item on the tail, possibly a form of Dragon barding/armour if you really wanted.
>>
>>47430539
>our game is a tremendous lagfest that bottlenecks every time you find something new!
Yeah, no. It's alright for small-scale things (e.g. "Carebear picked up an L4 mission, generate it"), but even those are done ahead of time, not literally the moment they're discovered.

(And even for those small-scale things there's a noticeable network hiccup e.g. when you warp into a deadspace complex.)
>>
>>47430287
>>47430385
The LNs and some of the BluRay special chapters. He plays YGGDRASIL by injecting nanites into his brainstem, but by law he has to wear a bulky helmet as a recording device in case hackers steal data from his brain while he's distracted.

>>47430882
>>47430946
You don't just get tons of stats right away. You need to take a racial class. Ainz has at least two racial classes - Skeletal Mage and Lich.

>>47431037
>how the fuck do they give you shit for picking a race, especially if you ignore stats?
Because they're seen as suboptimal, and other players get bonuses for killing you. So clearly anyone who picks a monster race is either an idiot or a furry.
>>
>>47431252
>Because they're seen as suboptimal, and other players get bonuses for killing you
I get that that's the reason in YggdraSilly, but how the fuck do they bully you in FFXI, regardless of stats/benefits.

and if something is seen as suboptimal, and they have a malus in regards to combat in other players, that involves stats/benefits
>>
>>47431252
> He plays YGGDRASIL by injecting nanites into his brainstem, but by law he has to wear a bulky helmet as a recording device in case hackers steal data from his brain while he's distracted.
what the fuck.
That's like, beyond shadowrun, isnt it?
>>
>>47431345

You don't need to wear the helmet that records you.

I mean its a terrible idea, but you don't need to.
>>
File: 1421121565006.png (211KB, 300x377px) Image search: [Google]
1421121565006.png
211KB, 300x377px
>>47431373
what?
that's not what I'm saying, I'm not calling him paranoid
>hackers could steal data from his brain while he's distracted
>because he plays a videogame
>by injecting nanites into himself
that's just...
>>
>>47417847
Violent power and revenge fantasies arnt healthy.
>>
>Ancient evil is OPM
>>
>>47430456
>SENSE OF JUSTICE
this is always the fucking funniest part of these character sheets
>>
>>47417847
I liked the show but that scene was essentially gratuitous murderporn

The power differential is so absurd. Ainz is like someone logging into WoW on a fully geared 100 but the only thing to do is jerk off over how strong you are while running Scarlet Monastery and Wailing Caverns and other low level shit.

Except it's VR and then real life so he gets to fap extra hard over how amazing he is at killing level 1 boars and defias bandits

It's an MMO series that appeals to people that have never actually played a fucking mmo
>>
Yggdrasil was pay to win garbage that /v/ would despise if it actually existed.

It's no wonder the game died out and everybody left to play other shit.
>>
>>47431939

Something tells me you never really paid attention to the series. Any version of this explains why he does this.
>>
>>47426415

Albedo plz go
>>
File: Heinzsama.jpg (305KB, 897x510px) Image search: [Google]
Heinzsama.jpg
305KB, 897x510px
>>47418104
>>
File: Albedew.jpg (286KB, 898x509px) Image search: [Google]
Albedew.jpg
286KB, 898x509px
>>47432022
>>
>>47427822

Once I read Victim plot point I knew the author had never played a single fucking mmo in his life.

Thats something I hate in Japanese media, the characters in the story always have to be super special snowflakes who were the first people to reinvent the wheel, and then when the author reveals what they actually did to become so amazing it makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>47435262
Again, it takes more inspiration from crazy ass D&D builds than it does MMOs.
>>
>>47427475

Friend, I know it's uncommon, but there *are* totally MMOs full of secrets.

Age of Wushu is the best example I can think of. Information is extremely jealously guarded in that game. As an example, a friend of mine made a ridiculously detailed secret guide that let him get extremely powerful skills. He was one of the strongest people on the server we played. EVERYONE wanted to figure out how he did it, and even among his guild, he only let a few people in on the secret.

Then again, this is a game where the developers intentionally kill wikis if they do anything but provide the most basic of information (like what "class" does what). Anything more advanced is figured out either on your own, by asking other players (and them being willing to tell you) or trawling through forum archives on the internet.

It's a rarity, but these kinds of MMOs do exist.
>>
>>47417095
>an ancient evil is so strong that if he tried to pet a kitten he'd crush it
Dude's not evil, he's just mad cuz he can't pet kittens
>>
>>47427475

Star wars galaxies had Jodi as a secret class at first. The unlock requirements were different for every character
>>
>>47437904

Jedi*
>>
>>47417095
I still find it at least curious how people go "Overlord isn't good because the MC is too strong", but most ppl I know who said that adore OPM, and if you point out Saitama is too strong they'll spout the exact same arguments one would use to defend Overlord.
And come on, Ainz isn't as strong as Saitama, he doesn't one shot everything.
>>
>>47437931
The problem with Overlord is that it takes itself way too seriously. OPM doesn't.
Saitama isn't even the protagonist of his own manga. Ainz, however, is.
Saitama is there to serve as the force of nature and the butt of a joke. Ainz is there to spout generic BBEG lines and scheme vigorously, all completely seriously.
Saitama never grows into his role of a hero. Ainz grows into his role of a villain.
OPM is more focused on comedic factors and cool action scenes, while Overlord focuses mainly on Ainz's narcissistic "villain" act.
Saitama is notorious for being simple-minded and oblivious to things, as he just blunders into things. Ainz is a genius villain that can do no wrong, at least, according to the narrative.

So don't compare OPM with Overlord.
Two completely different things.
>>
>>47438028
I'm not comparing the two works for the sake of saying they're good for the same reasons; I'm just using OPM as an example on how stories can work regardless of the power level of the protagonist, as long as the narrative is good enough.
If you think that a MC is only allowed to be OP if it's a godlike comedy, that's a fair point.
>>
>>47426415
SASUGA AINZ-SAMA
>>
>>47427099
>his subjects.
>>47427163
>His
It's self serving because these children are HIS property. Of course he wants his pets to be content.
>>
>>47431221
Presumably in the Cyberpunk future, internet and data storage technology has reached a point where bandwidth is not an issue.
>>
>>47435262
It takes more inspiration from D&D and then mixes it with what the author imagines a futuristic MMO would be like.

Shit, at one point Sebas literally goes to buy a scroll of Floating Disk.
>>
>>47438028
>Ainz is there to spout generic BBEG lines and scheme vigorously, all completely seriously.
>Ainz's narcissistic "villain" act.
>Ainz is a genius villain that can do no wrong, at least, according to the narrative.

Are we actually even watching the same show. Ainz is moderately intelligent, but the vast majority of his villain shtick is saying simple enough things that his minions, who actually are mostly at a genius level, interpret and extrapolate into actual plans, at which point he pretends that was his thinking all along.

He plays the villain because it makes his friends happy, which in turn makes him happy, and that includes being intentionally melodramatic. His internal monologues make it clear enough that he cringes at a lot of the things he says, and that he gets overly stressed by feeling inferior to his minions. He's not even really a narcissist.

So yeah, he's a genius villain who can do no wrong -according entirely to the people who are programmed to think of him as a genius villain who can do no wrong.
>>
File: _6____245.jpg (387KB, 1043x1600px) Image search: [Google]
_6____245.jpg
387KB, 1043x1600px
>Evil Eye will never get an anime appearance
>>
File: 1464188929047.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1464188929047.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>47437931

An uberpowerful main character will always be read as an antagonist and turns into a villain. Even if it takes decades.
>>
File: 1212124494424.gif (1004KB, 360x359px) Image search: [Google]
1212124494424.gif
1004KB, 360x359px
>>47435609
>Age of Wushu
>MFW it's still alive

That's it, I'm gonna try to find my way in again.
>>
>>47437918
And it was awesome because they were so rare. If a Jedi player died it was perma-death.

The only time I ever saw one (before Jedi became a default class) is when I wandered into a town on Tatooine to find a huge fight between a Jedi and a group of bounty hunters who I guess tracked him down.
>>
>>47417116
Did...did the fucking weebz hide a gains goblin joke in this shit?
>>
File: 26- Evileye.png (464KB, 800x1296px) Image search: [Google]
26- Evileye.png
464KB, 800x1296px
>>47440068
L-let's not lose hope yet, anon! Surely there will be more seasons just so bestgirl can appear!
>>
>>47440851
Anon stop

It hurts

The wounds had almost closed
>>
>>47428056
>>47428105
>>47441284
You realize plenty of Madhouse shows have had second seasons before. It's more a question of whether Overlord was actually successful enough to justify one.
>>
>>47441475
Overlord earned more money than OPM as far as I know.
>>
>>47440356

Don't it do it fampai. It's not worth it. Snail are kikes of the worst sort. Age of Wulin (EU version) is better, but catching up to the people who've been there forever feels fucking awful. It's just more work than fun.
>>
File: Tct1MZ.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Tct1MZ.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>47441475
Overlord was pretty successful. Chances of season two are high.
>>
>>47417095
But is he as strong as 5 gorillas?
>>
>>47441475
>>47441614
>>47441768
Remember that the show might not get a second season if the LNs don't need a signal boost currently, like what is seemingly keeping Index III from happening.
>>
>>47417095
>ancient evil isn't actually very evil at all
>people just saw the kitten-crushing and assumed
>>
>>47431966
-This-
its pay2win nature comes up shockingly little in discussions, considering it's such a major part of why the guild was actually anywhere close to the top in the game
>>
File: Qxx8AtF.png (1MB, 1918x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Qxx8AtF.png
1MB, 1918x1079px
>>47443409
I think it's an amusing little sidenote to the series.

I mean, yeah, if Ygg existed everybody and their mother would play it just because >VR, but apparently the game was dying, so maybe the cash shop took it's toll.
>>
File: vamos lucha.jpg (118KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
vamos lucha.jpg
118KB, 800x537px
>>47419570
>>
File: image.jpg (192KB, 1915x415px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192KB, 1915x415px
>>47440008
Ainz coming up with some utterly banal statment and everybody flipping their shit as a result will never not be funny, especially
>Demi, pls explain
>>
>>47443409
this board grew on 40k & M:tG, by now we consider pay2win a natural state of things
>>
>>47445766
>MTG
>40k
while that is true and all, it has different connotations for vidya.
You can still have fun collecting and building decks (or card editing, but not many do that), or painting the models/collecting the army/playing with buddies.
cash shop items serve no purpose other than to lord your superior shit over other palyers.
>>
>>47418790
Oh /tg/
>>
>>47445742
The best part is when they notice something is not right between their expectations and reality but they do mental gymnastics because OBVIOUSLY Ainz sama planned that they would notice and them reacting to it and understanding was to make them grow or learn!
>>
>>47445810
Compare cash shop items to broken FW models and the cost of Goyf et al. Strictly necessary? No. Necessary to beat anyone who's got one themselves? Yes.
>>
>>47418607

DOES SHE EVER GET THAT APPLE?!
>>
>>47447770
Maybe she shouldn't have fed her son to Zeus as a prank
>>
>>47442975
>Ancient evil defends himself using akido against heroes
>Keeps overestimating their power, causing his nonlethal moves to be horribly lethal
>The ones who do survive his aikido run away and spread tales of his butchery
>People keep running from him so he can never learn the language properly to explain
>>
Hey thread, let me run an idea by you.

>hero guy is the only human in a party of adventurers
>they're True Companions, the best friends you could ever ask for
>he starts to realize he's getting old when he doesn't react quite as fast as he used to in a dungeon and it would've gotten one of his friends hurt if someone else hasn't covered for him
>he realizes if he wants to stay with the party he needs to do something about the whole normal human lifespan thing
>he leaves the party without saying goodbye, several years pass, and he reappears as a lich
>and everything is fine
>his new form takes some getting used to, but before you know it they're back to adventuring, just like the old days
>until one of his friends has to retire because of old age
>one of his elf friends
>they're been adventuring for hundreds of years
>the entire party, people he's thought of as family, people he sacrificed everything to stay with, grow old and die

Where should I go from there, boiler plate "he can't take it and goes fucking crazy?" Maybe "he takes up arching to find a new group of heroes, encouraging them with low-level adventures, hoping they'll become people like his old friends someday?" Just looking for a good death so he can see everyone again?
>>
>>47449173
Opens training academy? After a century or so he leaves it in capable hands and heads to the kingdom way over there to open a second school. After the third school he travels between them making sure they're all running properly, meanwhile he learns anything new his schools develope and if anything big comes up he avails himself to the current world saving party.
>>
>>47447271
I was happy as fuck that he actually did it on purpose for once with Cocytous and the lizardmen.

Mainly because he wanted his NPCs to tell him shit and not to assume he was a perfect god.
>>
>>47449244
Yeah, the trainer of heroes thing could work.
>>
>>47449173
When a quest-taker gets too old for this shit, they become a quest-giver.
>>
>>47447271
Ainz could do or say literally anything and the other residents of nazarick would find a way to justify it.
>>
>>47449902
I was too. I just do not understand how they can read his emotions like smiles and such when he is a skeleton
>>
>>47435262
>>47435367
Wasn't there a guy in RF Online that discovered that he could stack Dodge stat so infinitely high that absolutely nothing, ever could possibly harm him?

There's always some crazy oddballs in MMOs that find a way to break the game and do things that most players don't think are even possible.
>>
>>47452516
Thanks to spell steal, in certain dungeons in WoW it's possible to stack haste to such absurd levels that all casting becomes instant, and attacks are in the hundreds or thousands per second.
>>
>>47452595
Also the game yggdrasil had hundreds of classes and the mods didnt really care who ised them or mixed them. It is basically 3.5 where breaking it was allowed because you could sell cash items or custom gear or data to the players to even odds up.

Even homebrew spells existed like sharknado and la shib niggurath.
>>
>>47419570
thanks senpai!
>>
I for once would like to know some more about that Arcology War in 2118's europe
(4. Reich? :D)
>>
>>47452595
WoW also had people pulling off crazy stunts like luring raid bosses into major population centres on the other side of the world, or unleashing infectious diseases that wiped out half the server and forced the devs to step in to make the game playable again.
>>
>>47453525
More recently than that, the game has an ability that allows death knights to copy spells cast by enemies. Most npc spells can't be copied like this, but a few can, occasionally this will let people do broken things.
>>
File: 1428468211268.png (559KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1428468211268.png
559KB, 500x572px
>>47450737
>You will never have loyal followers that would rather die than fail to live up to your expectations
>Even if those expectations are full retard
>>
>>47452516
There was one game with a dragon boss that was supposed to be an undefeatable plot device, but was eventually killed by an alliance of hundreds of players working together. At which point it glitched out, because it had no death animation.
>>
>>47431320
Because fuck you you fucking potato
>>
>>47453835

The good old days. Modern games would just hard code invincibility ex. Skyrim.
>>
>>47453835
>>47454507
imagining, how MMORPG's would be in 100 years or so, I still am a bit sceptikal if they would turn out to be somewhat like YGGDRASIL... looking at how game companies are nowdays, I would only imagine it to become worse in terms of pay to win etc.

fucking jewish companies
>>
>>47417095
I thought this anime was comedy. But it took itself seriously and at the end I had to suffer trough the laughable mary sue powerup wank of the protagonist.

Overlord is literally the worst of the "mary sue in MMO world" genre that the fucking japs somehow absolutely adore.
>>
>>47453835
EverQuest and Kerafyrm the Sleeper. One of my favorite mmo stories. Along with Lord British getting ganked in UO.
>>
>>47454507
Well yeah. People pulled off some cheeky shenanigans back in the Wild West Days on Ultima Online too. RIchard Garriott was going about on Lord British and one of the testers with a thief stole a firefield scroll, and cast it on him.

He didn't really think it would necessarily work, but it did.

They had done a server reset and "Lord British" forgot to turn back on his invincibility, and to reduce lag because of the high number at the event, the guards were also off at the time.

So the guy got to steal the scroll, and when he used it, Lord British just straight up died.

The dev team then panicked, and ganked the entire crowd. The poor guy got banned too.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/03/the-game-archaeologist-the-assassination-of-lord-british/
>>
>>47454677
Yggdrasil was massively p2w.
>>
>>47454738
From your description I dont think you even watched it.
>>
>>47454738
But its not that genre. Its mc transported into a fantasy world genre you cretin.
>>
File: 1443128101115.png (16KB, 345x134px) Image search: [Google]
1443128101115.png
16KB, 345x134px
>>47454738
>I completely missed the point of the show, and now I'm going to be salty about it

OK.
>>
>>47455147
Wasn't "the poor guy" a well known griefer and PKer? From what I read, the regicide was just the last (albeit very large) straw that got him banned.
>>
File: wakemeupinside.png (118KB, 302x361px) Image search: [Google]
wakemeupinside.png
118KB, 302x361px
>>47417095
>that armor design
>>
>>47456196
Is it good or bad? Either way he is a skeleton in plate armor.
Thread posts: 290
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.