[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get a bunch of murderhobos to RP?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160501_224157.jpg (12KB, 331x255px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_224157.jpg
12KB, 331x255px
Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but despite their rather lengthy backstories and my best efforts to get them engaged, my players seem to be mostly interested in fighting enemies and getting stronger, rather than interacting with NPCs. They do it, sure, but it's not even half of what I'm used to seeing in tabletop. One of them has a tendency to just stop paying attention whenever it's not his turn.

Am I doing something wrong, or did I just end up with a bad batch of players? The most RP any of them do is shittalking enemies, even when it's just a spar.
>>
>>47348963
You could reward good RP.
>>
>>47349088
In what way? They already get XP every session.
>>
>>47348963
Stop giving XP for killing things. Switch to leveling up when storyline objectives are achieved, or a set amount of XP per session with bonii for good rp.

If they'd rather not play, then I guess you'll have to re-evaluate what kind of game you're willing to run.
>>
>>47348963
>Am I doing something wrong, or did I just end up with a bad batch of players?

Everyone comes into an RPG wanting different things. Some folks just want to murderhobo, and as long as everyone is on the same page in terms of what they want, or are at least happy enough to delay their own gratification a little for the good of the group as a whole, things are good.

Trying to change them from being murderhobos is going to be difficult though. Your best bet is to really just talk to them, say that you'd like to see a little more roleplaying, because that's the sort of thing you like to see in games. If they're unwilling to give it a try, to accommodate your gaming needs at the table as the GM, then no amount of cajoling them by "rewarding good RP" is going to work. There's no point being coy about what you want out of a game, just be upfront about it and see if your players are willing to bend a little so you can get your gaming itch scratched too.
>>
>>47349160
Give them better stuff for when they RP insead of XP for when they just murder everything.

If they start to interact with a guild of merchants, have them give them goodies from time to time, or some discount for the magic equipment that they were looking for?

Oh, the local militia has had some troubles with wild animals attacking the villagers and the farmers: deal with them and you'll have a free bed at the inn and support from the farmers for the next few years.
>>
>>47348963
>my players seem to be mostly interested in fighting enemies and getting stronger
Turn your campaign into DBZ
>>
>>47348963
>seem to be mostly interested in fighting enemies and getting stronger, rather than interacting with NPCs
Then just make everyone the NPC equivalent of a professional wrestler.
>>
>>47349854
When I had two murderhobos that wanted to DM I recommended DBZ or D&D

they were aight "campaigns"
>>
>>47348963
Put the players in a situation where they CAN'T just kill everything. Make them low level, get them wrapped up in plots where they're taking on warlords, crime bosses, or even just nobles with alot of protection... scenarios where they can and WILL get their asses kicked if they try to solve the problem with violence right away.

At best, the party will come together and planning around things like making allies, resorting to stealth or incrimination, or avoiding conflict alltogether.

At worst they'll do the above but it will ultimately end in an assassination, which is still better than they've been doing so far.
>>
>>47348963
- A killed NPC is now haunting a PCs dreams, forcing to talk with him.

- A talking weapon.

- A person with a bomb strapped to his body that goes off once he's killed.

- Up the difficulty and show them no mercy so they'll back down.
>>
>>47348963
Send them on a never ending crusade against Kojima and artificial difficulty
>>
>>47350235
You could follow advice like this and be a passive aggressive cunt and be guaranteed not to get what you want.

Or you could do what >>47349219 describes (advice which really should've been /thread) and maybe get what you want.

Odds are you will be the passive aggressive cunt, though, OP, because you call people who want something different from you a "bad batch of players."
>>
>>47353533
It's not like I outright called them that. I just consider it a possibility, and am of the opinion that video games are a better medium for rollplaying.
>>
>>47348963

You don't. Your group has established its norms of what gaming is like and how people should behave. That's incredibly hard to change after the fact.

Better to assemble a group from scratch and get them started with an RP focus from day one. Then much later, you introduce a member of your former gaming group and enculturate him in the new norms of play.

It's why organizations have such a hard time changing. People do respond to incentives but XP is just one incentive in the equation, and social expectations of the other players are infinitely stronger.
>>
>>47348963
There was a .pdf not long ago called "Re-educating the Power Gamer" which was basically just tips on doing exactly that. Anybody has it?
>>
File: PSA.jpg (84KB, 300x291px) Image search: [Google]
PSA.jpg
84KB, 300x291px
>>47348963
TTRPG's are not for everyone.

Go play a dungeoncrawler board game instead.
>>
>>47357745
And how does this relate to what I said?
>>
>>47348963
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/05/building-houses-for-murderhoboes.html?m=0
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.