[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Playing the Role

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: fbf.png (79KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
fbf.png
79KB, 250x250px
How do you keep from feeling silly or getting a minor case of stage fright while RPing your character in front of other people?

I like RPGs but the whole role-playing aspect always feels weird af to me. Is this something I should/could get over?
>>
>>47306093
Roleplay exactly as much as everyone else in your group is.
If people are talking tactics and doing meta-discussions all OOC, do that.
If the wizards are wearing wizzard hats and if the orks are yelling WAAAGH!, do that.
>>
>>47306143
This guy gets it.
>>
Stop being an autistic fuck?

It's not complicated.

>in during a crowd of people rushing to pay OP on the ass and tell him that it's ok to be too inbred, stupid, or autistic to RP
>>
File: 1534.jpg (100KB, 476x353px) Image search: [Google]
1534.jpg
100KB, 476x353px
>My current character is an 8 foot tall muscled sorcerer.
>Get to do a super stereotypical Russian accent.
>>
>>47306175
>tfw you're in such a rush to type an insulting post that you don't bother proofing your reply
>>
>af

Well, one of the most prominent sources of discomfort is trying to roleplay when you don't actually know the role. There are gaps in your character's character, so you're both lacking information as well as forced to self insert yourself into the gaps just to be able to speak the words. Together, those are a hard hit to your confidence because you may feel unprepared and vulnerable.

Spend more time focusing on your character's surface personality. You can even just try to imitate someone else, from a movie or a video game or something. You can worry about serious character writing later, but for now, you can get good at impersonating someone you know, and then have your RP just that impersonation.

Take it easy and commit it to heart that if anyone tries to put you down, then they have less reason to be playing than you do.

Also >>47306143 , but I would recommend not being silent until you conform. Introduce yourself with what you feel is natural, then even yourself out with the others.
>>
>>47306143
/thread
>>
>>47306093
By getting major stage fright because agoraphobia. I can generally keep my cool just being outside, but crowded spaces and public speaking are extremely draining.
>>
Just pretend that the group of people you're playing with are your friends. If you do then there's nothing to worry about, if they're your friends you have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>47306600
nice double dubs

thank yu, you said what i feel all the time.. i try to tdo m best in the future, an for me alot of this swings by my mood but i know that i have trouble with getting into character. Thinking about it is easy, i imagine alot of tings fo my charcters but when it comes to doing them i often get afraid... and do less... and i'm playing in a very very RP heavy group...

trying to meditate helps maybe, giving this a try before next session.
>>
>>47306093
People never care as much as we think they do friend.
>>
>>47306093

>I like chocolate, but the the whole chocolate aspect feels weird to me

This is how stupid you are.
>>
>>47306093
>How do you keep from feeling silly or getting a minor case of stage fright while RPing your character in front of other people?

By doing it again and again until I stop feeling it as much.
>>
>>47306175
>op asks legitimate question related to simple stage fright
>calls op an autistic fuck
>while acting like a autistic fuck

Way to go faggot
>>
>>47306093
Ease into it. Don't try to be all Shakespearean with it. Start out by not distancing yourself from your character by just saying what your character says "We need to get the fuck out of town before they come looking for us." rather than prefacing it with "I say..." or "my character says...". You don't have to do much acting, just say your shit. And if your character's angry or panicked, maybe throw just a bit of tension into your voice. That's really all there is to it. Start doing this and you should end up getting into character without even realizing it. Don't worry about funny voices and shit like that; they're distractions that usually actually hurt immersion.
>>
>>47307698
How is "lol i wanna roleplay but its hard" a legitimate question?

You know how you get over stage fright? You stop being a pussy and just do it. There is no baby steps, there is no "well, here's a method you can try..." You stop being a fucking loser, commit to making it work, and do it.

Or, you cry in a corner about how it's too hard and you'll never be able to do it and wait for someone to give you a tissue.
>>
>>47307973
First off, i'm not OP

Second off, holy asperger's syndrome batman, I figured someone as much as a mental case like you would have some sympathy for someone who just has alittle anxiety.

Third, this is really cute coming from the anon who is obviously so socially inept that he has never, nor will ever have a long standing group due to him being a complete asshole.

And finally, /b/ is that way anon, I suggest you go back there.
>>
>>47306143
Strangely insightful. Good job Anon.

>>47306093
Don't force it. Force RP is worse than none at all in my experience. As you grow more comfortable, you'll RP more. Don't over think this.
>>
>>47306093
Don't worry about it; it will become easier with time. Also, if you want to ease into it, make a more "shy" character and roleplay that. If you make a character with low Cha, maybe that will help justify the awkwardness in-game.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.