[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/, I've recently been taking a huge interest in Warhammer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (125KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 600x620px
Hey /tg/, I've recently been taking a huge interest in Warhammer 40k. I'm crazy about the lore and would really like to get into painting miniatures but have no idea where to start as far as which paints to get, what I'll need, a good set to start with, etc. Any advice?
>>
>>47242537
as with all things in life
>do what feels right to you
>paint what you want, how you want
>choose what calls to you
unless you just want to win, in which case play eldar.
>>
Well first off just do it. If its something you are interested in then give it a shot.

Go in and choose a model kit and choose the colours you want to paint it in and then give it a go.

Usually LGS or Games workshops will be able to give you some information regarding painting.

Its not hard to start but dont be upset that you are not amazing when you first start. Keep going.

When painting use the tip of the brush, paint using small strokes and then clean the brush off in water each time.

There are plenty of guides on youtube so start from there
>>
File: 1396290037169.png (75KB, 257x165px) Image search: [Google]
1396290037169.png
75KB, 257x165px
>>47242537
Remember to thin your paints.
>>
>>47242685
Dope thanks, that was actually pretty helpful. Probably a really dumb question but do you need special paints/brushes?
>>
>>47242537
>Any advice?
If you get the codex of your favorite faction it will basically answer all your questions, as well as giving you some basic painting advice.
Or you could check out the library in the general and dl some older codecies and have a look.

Other than that there is not much we can tell you. This anon has it right >>47242588
>>
>>47242537
I started collecting and playing about 3 years ago, after having read some of the books and vaguely following the general lore, etc. As someone who was in your position recently, heres my advice:

Buy only a few units/kits at a time.
Watch a ton of painting tutorials.
Get an airbrush or two, just do it.
Prepare yourself for the long term.

It takes time to learn modeling and painting. Time to learn the rules. Do everything you can to set yourself up for success. Good luck, have fun.
>>
>>47242772
Not the person you asked, but any small brushes and any acrylic paint will do, but you should look at special miniatures paint from companies like Vallejo (game color and model color lines) or the GW paints. I'll tell you now that even though it's a little expensive, the special paint will save you a lot of heartbreak over trying to use applebarrel or folk art paints.

Any decent brushes in the sizes 0,1, and 2 will do, or just pick up the GW set.
>>
Don't get into a GW game. Shit tier company putting out dying systems.

If you like Scifi get Infinity.
If you like Steampunk get Warmachine
If you like Horror get Malifaux
If you like Fantasy get Kings of War

Not being a troll. You WILL regret wasting your money on their cartoonish, overpriced models, shitty rules and TOXIC fanbois.
>>
>>47243413
>TOXIC fanbois

Found the tumblrite.

Trigger Warning: You're a fag.
>>
>>47243413
I've heard about infinity, is the lore as good though? That's mainly what I'm in it for.
>>
>>47244244

Infinity lore is interesting. Less of it, since it doesn't have 30 years behind it, but it's quite different. It's not nearly as silly though it does have some silly elements to it, space werewolves among them. In my opinion they have better space knights, but that's a matter of taste.

I would heed >>47243413's warning, but I'm nowhere near so zealous. Don't get hugely invested in it, and if you want to play try finding a group of people who are fine with game-types like Kill Team and Zone Mortalis; smaller points and restrictions against larger, more cheesy models. Still, if you want some Space Marines, get some Space Marines.

Fanboys aren't so toxic, as that varies by LGS, but rules are not very good, game balance is currently a joke without ZM or KT restrictions, and GW has a history of making some pretty bad decisions. But models are a matter of individual taste. If you like them, get them, write fluff for them, and have fun.
>>
>>47244244
>is the lore as good though?
Do you like anime and and popculture references? Or give a shit about spanish politics?

Other than that you can completely ignore it and enjoy the rules though.
It has some interesting ideas, but is a bit all over the place imo.

Recently they released an RPG that had a lukewarm reception.

Personally I don't care much for the lore, since I'm not into anime and I don't get that much of a kick out of shoehorning movie characters into a game, but I bought the starter anyway since I kept hearing good things about the rules.
>>
>>47242537
Alright, need to know this, what army are you interested in, and why?

That's one of the most important questions before you go any further.
>>
Try Dawn of War. It has shit lore that has relly few things in common with official fluff, but noice anywayz
>>
>>47244464
Played through it already, I preferred one to two personally
>>
>>47244417
Orks or space marines, I'm really into the Orks mostly though. Love the general look of them. Not sure about play style though
>>
>>47244534
So did almost everyone
>>
>>47244557
If you give a shit about the meta, I've got some bad news for you...
>>
>>47244557
Alright, if you love how Orks look, that's great. Read up on their lore, and if you like it, that's also great.

Now, here's another important question.

Do you care about winning, and getting regular support from GW/FW?

>>47244589
>tfw never played DoW.
How much am I missing out on?
>>
>>47244244
if its lore you seek, GW will not disappoint. it really doesn't get any more epic than 40k
>>
>>47244611
>How much am I missing out on?
it's hammy

there's a reason it brought so many new players, though
>>
>>47244832
>it's hammy
That's an understatement. The 'motivational' speeches and monologues are Nicolas Cage in 'Vampire's Kiss'-Tier.
>>
>>47244892
INDEED
>>
>>47244557

Orks are inexpensive and have a very wide variety of models with a lot of fun and wacky ways to play.

The problem is you're going to lose. A lot. To everything. If you care about winning at all, it's going to become a problem eventually until Orks get a buff, if they ever do.

Otherwise, just enjoy yourself. Caring about winning games is the stupidest thing you can do in this hobby. Being able to play fun games, having a cool army you like, being able to try new units and experiment with different paint jobs and paint schemes, and simply admiring your own army and other players' armies are so much more fulfilling than winning random matches. Like, who fucking cares? This game isn't balanced anyway.
>>
>>47243413
I actually agree with this (in spirit, anyway. I wouldn't say the fanbois are toxic except on the internet, and I like most of the models. Not enough to justify prices, mind you. GW's current practices are almost self-destructively anti-consumer, and I've stopped buying anything from them.
>>
>>47243413
>toxic

I love that you can identify drones based purely off their usage of this word
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.