[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some things that ruin a setting for you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 30

File: 1433241880369.png (259KB, 294x599px) Image search: [Google]
1433241880369.png
259KB, 294x599px
>Multiverse
>Time travel
>>
File: french anime.gif (3MB, 400x411px) Image search: [Google]
french anime.gif
3MB, 400x411px
>>47228116
>magic
>fluff magic presented as high-tech or advanced science
>>
Well now I'm thinking that I've never played a game with extensive time travel, much less a setting based around it, and that would probably be pretty cool.

But sure, I'll play along with the topic. I guess I hate it when "adventurer" is an occupation but there's no attempt made to explain how wandering mercenaries of all trades came to be or why people use them in preference to someone operating in a more official capacity.
>>
Oh I got a good one

>modern military weaponry
>>
>>47228116
When the best fantastical magic they can come up with is just modern day or slightly futuristic tech. This also applies to fantastical tech. Like, when the product of your "crazy steampunk mad science" is...a car, and some street lights, I'm fucking out.
>>
>>47228116
>Time travel
20 minutes
>>
>>47228116

How multiverse are we going? like different planes(like going to the nine hells/inferno/abyssal plane to fight and kill a demon lord for good) or full on different settings/universes(like doing a scooby doo game and going to Aladdin for more adventures)
>>
>>47228222
That's one of the things I really liked about Final Fantasy XIV. They had a decent explanation for it.

Adventurers USED to be seen as just murderhobos and treated like shit, then shit happened, moon crashed into the planet, giant dragon god emerged and destroyed half the continent, and it was basically the apocalypse.

After that, people became really accepting of this giant jack of all trades workforce willing to travel across the monster infested landscape, and clear out dens of monsters, letting the now crippled militaries focus on defending the major population zones instead.

Hardly a super original story, but was a nice touch for an MMO to actually acknowledge that it's entire player ads is actually there, and how society works around that.
>>
>>47228116
>Time travel
But anon it was only for 20 minutes.
>>
>>47228292
Your first example would just be multi-planar, no?
>>
>>47228116
>one of the party members is the chosen one
Ill protect a child destiny, but im supposed to have free will. Its just an excuse to railroad players imo.
>>
>>47228355

I guess that example just boils down to your definition of "plane" and "universe"
>>
>>47228116
> Multiverse
I like Magic the Gathering's setting. :(

Anyway, the things that annoy me about a setting?
> half breeds
I don't know why, but I hate the idea of half-orcs and half-elves as races.
>>
>>47228281
right in the feels anon... too soon.
>>
>>47228281
he just wanted to save his family ;_;
>>
>>47228116
>Non-human races
Seriously, if your races are just humans with different ears why not play humans?
And if your races are ALIEN AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE OOGABOOGABOOGA, they're either NPCs or a meaningless footnote, in which case having humans with believable motivations is just better.
>>
>>47228514
>>47228281

Honestly one of the best "villains" written for animoo in a while, too bad that shit gets flooded with waifu garbage like

>>47228176
>>
>>47228176
I like how it was almost outright stated that she was having sex right before that and isn't wearing panties
>>
File: Social Combat.gif (2MB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
Social Combat.gif
2MB, 400x209px
>>47228116
>Magic exists, but technology and culture in a setting hasn't evolved around it's existence.
For example, lets say you have magic that can summon winds... why doesn't every ship have a team of wind-mages to propel it. If you have magic that can create food and water, why doesn't every army use this to cover their logistical needs? And don;t give me that "magic is expensive to learn" shit, it's a weak excuse.

>Firearms
Admittedly this only applies to sword-and-magic settings. I'm fine with it in Shadowrun or Star Wars, but don;t try to bullshit your way into having a musket in DnD, OK?

>Getting powers from Dragon Blood, Demon Blood, Angel Blood, ect and everyone important in the setting being one of these.
Kinda undermines the impact of persistence and human achievement if all the nobility and heroes and everyone else important just got that way because "MUH SPECIAL BLOODLINE".

>Confirmed existence of gods and gods' involvement in mortal affairs.
What's the fucking point of faith then? Also kinda goes back to the whole "humans are utterly unimportant unless some author-fiat says they are" thing. Gods should stick to appearing in dreams and visions and other stuff that can't really ever be confirmed true or not except to the honest and devout believer.

>Non-permanent Death
Unless you're under some kind of carefully controlled circumstances like a soul-trapping magic experiment, dead should mean dead. None of this "bring our buddy's bones to the local priest with 5k gold for a revival" shit.

>"Social" Combat, or skill-levels involved in persuasion at all.
Just say what your character would say, and I'll have the NPCs respond as they would respond. No dice involved.

I could probably come up with alot more if I had the time, but these are the ones that spring to mind immediately.
>>
>>47228527
She barely had 10 minutes total of screen time and maybe a handful of lines.
>>
>>47228560
I don't even think that they named her
>>
File: 1372469816312.jpg (18KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
1372469816312.jpg
18KB, 262x192px
Played a D&D game once where the characters time traveled but what the DM did was make AD&D versions of the characters so when we went back in time we changed systems to an older one.
>>
>>47228610

That...actually sounds really cool, but a nightmare to play
>>
File: 1366617232334.png (147KB, 285x546px) Image search: [Google]
1366617232334.png
147KB, 285x546px
>>47228116
>Magic
>has defined rules and a systematically organized body of knowledge

It's no better than science at this point!
>>
>>47228559
>Firearms
What about science fantasy? It's not hard to make up an explanation why swords would exist in setting wit firearms.

But what if system has "social" stats? And not everyone at the table is a social butterfly.
Personally i go for the middle ground - if you word the argument convincingly enough, it works without a roll, otherwise you roll (maybe at advantage or disadvantage). If you're some kind of low-charisma thug, you roll regardless, but there's still a chance your argument will convince someone.
>>
>>47228116
When they add things to the universe without thinking about the logical conclusions of such things existing.
>>
>>47228706
Fair enough. Science Fantasy is it's own thing. It's not really the same as introducing a gun into "typical" fantasy.

I already try to incorporate charisma, social standing, and a variety of other factors into conversations with NPCs. I don't like assigning these numerical stats though because of how situation they are. A race that gets a natural charisma bonus" shouldn't get that bonus when interacting with another race that hates them. Yes I could just give them a penalty at that point, but that's more math and rules to get bogged down in and potentially exploited in ways that don't make sense.
>>
>Magitek is just modern science powered by rainbows
>Steampunk is just modern technology but with steam yo
>Society is just 21st Century progressive morals but "enlightened" compared to the benighted rest of the world, which is otherwise inferior except in military strength

At least Wings of Honneamise presented slightly plausible alternate history, like microwaves being used instead of radio waves for long-range transmission, and pusher planes being the norm.
>>
>>47228706
>science fantasy?
It's called Renaissance, anon...
>>
>>47228559
>>"Social" Combat, or skill-levels involved in persuasion at all.
>Just say what your character would say, and I'll have the NPCs respond as they would respond. No dice involved.
Why? Do you also expect players to perfectly know the setting instead of rolling for area/history knowledge?
>>
>>47228683
You probably mean
>it's finally not worse than science
>>
>>47228809
Not that guy, but as a GM i fully support players asking me "what does my character know about this?"
I have given up on players reading setting document long, long ago ;_;
>>
>>47228809
Knowledge skills aren't exactly the same as Social skills. Related, sure, but not the same.
>>
File: considerthefollowing.png (591KB, 900x850px) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.png
591KB, 900x850px
>>47228559
>Just say what your character would say, and I'll have the NPCs respond as they would respond. No dice involved.
players like rolling dice famalam, just let them roll and be happy about it.
>Unless you're under some kind of carefully controlled circumstances like a soul-trapping magic experiment, dead should mean dead. None of this "bring our buddy's bones to the local priest with 5k gold for a revival" shit.
Depending on the deity the local priest should have serious issues with reviving the same person more than once
>Admittedly this only applies to sword-and-magic settings. I'm fine with it in Shadowrun or Star Wars, but don;t try to bullshit your way into having a musket in DnD, OK?
Muskets are pretty shitty in a setting with sentient demon/angel swords i don't see the issue
>For example, lets say you have magic that can summon winds... why doesn't every ship have a team of wind-mages to propel it. If you have magic that can create food and water, why doesn't every army use this to cover their logistical needs? And don;t give me that "magic is expensive to learn" shit, it's a weak excuse.
I....uh.....that's actually a good point
>>
>>47228368
What's the difference? That seems so contrived.
>>
File: 1452380429542.jpg (40KB, 606x174px) Image search: [Google]
1452380429542.jpg
40KB, 606x174px
>>47228116
>multiverse
>time travel
Those things -make- a setting/story for me.

but I can't imagine wanting to play in a setting with them, especially not with the people I game with
>>
>>47229099
My take is that a multi-planar setting would have documentation or stories of the planes and these impact the "primary" plane.
In contrast, "multiverse", to me, means something CUHRAYZEE happens and the protagonists are sucked into fucking ToonTown (although I wouldn't discredit the event being really humorous after a long campaign of grit).
>>
>>47228176
Where do you guys find good streams of Wakfu?

All I can find is dodgy torrents and a low quality English dub.

I just want some subs.
>>
>>47229447
I used netflix
Just change the language setting to French subbed english
>>
>>47228116
You know, I'm never quite sure how to feel about a multiverse as a fantasy concept. It seems like the logical conclusion of a genre based on limitless possibilites but it often makes things flavorless.
>>
File: crying.jpg (32KB, 374x411px) Image search: [Google]
crying.jpg
32KB, 374x411px
>>47228116
>20 minutes
>>
>>47228222

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9iXY4btM829ZnlqY1RVckVRWE9nZFFETWJGa3RYQQ/edit?pli=1

Here you go, friend. The only time travel system you'll ever need.
>>
>>47229513
What is this "20 minutes" thing? I live under a rock for the most part.
>>
>>47229478
Thanks, mang'

I'll check it out.
>>
>>47229447
Try wakfu general on /vg/. They have links to both anime and comics
>>
>>47229539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS2yMw-hq20
>>
>>47229544
You too, anon.

Stay golden.
>>
>>47229539
Yeah actual spoilers for Wakfu in this spoiler
After all the shit Nox does and goes through to turn back time and save his family, he instead only manages a whole 20 minutes and realises he will never save them so has become a horrible villian for no purpose at all
>>
>>47228559
You have the opinions I had when I was far younger and less experimented. That's okay. You will change as you grow up, it's life.
>>
>>47228116
>Magic exists, yet it's completely disconnected from the setting itself and is just a thing that players and NPCs use to conjure fireballs.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen someone agonize over plate tectonics or the evolutionary descent of Orcs, while completely ignoring the fact that the physics of their world are completely alien to our own.

Why do you assume that the world you're creating is a planet with a core of molten rock? Why do you assume that the flora and fauna of your world have DNA, and operate under Darwinian evolution? Nothing kills the fantasy mood for me faster than cramming modern science into a seemingly pre-modern setting.
>>
>>47229574
You forgot the part where he kills himself
>>
File: dawson-crying.jpg (64KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dawson-crying.jpg
64KB, 640x480px
>>47229604
No I didn't
>>
File: Wakfu_credits_-_Nox's_grave.png (308KB, 912x496px) Image search: [Google]
Wakfu_credits_-_Nox's_grave.png
308KB, 912x496px
>>47229604
I always interpreted pic related as a "lost the will to live and ran out of the wakfu that sustained him" rather than a direct suicide. Whih is a small difference, admittedly, but it feels more poetic.
>>
>sci-fi
>but there's MAGIC too!

With all due respect Shadowrun, I just want the cyberpunk part.
>>
>>47229660
Can't you just do that with other cyberpunk systems/settings?
>>
>>47229704
Name me a decent, modern Cyberpunk system.

No, really, please. Anything that I can run Ghost in the Shell style games in.
>>
>>47229712

Robotic Age.
>>
>>47229548
>has 20 in the URL
Not cool Youtube
>>
File: sweet death, at last.jpg (32KB, 256x123px) Image search: [Google]
sweet death, at last.jpg
32KB, 256x123px
>"Hey GM-kun! what are the gods in this setting?"
>The warrior, the thief, the d-
>*barfs everywhere*

I mean, if you want to go for a sort of Jungian archetype worship then yeah, sure, ok, cool! do that.
BUT READ SOME FUCKING JUNG THEN!
>>
>>47229732
Are there any settings that do Jungian archetypes right? I read that Megami Tensei is partially based on them but I'm too much of a pleb to see if they got it right.
>>
>>47229647
No, if you read the expanded fluff it's pretty explicit that he kills himself. Xelors wear bandages cause their time fuckery messes with their bodies, slowly turning them to dust. That pile of dust around nox's gear is literally his corpse
>>
>>47229761
Yeah, I know that. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how that contradict what I wrote. I mean, he wouldn't have survived for 200 years without all that wakfu, right?
>>
>>47229726
I'm checking it out but jesus christ that promotional art. I hope the system is better than the art.
>>
>>47229544
>tfw Wakfu general is ded.

;_;.
>>
>>47229780
Uh... No. I think Ruel's around the same age as Nox and he has a grandma in season two, who's also still alive. People just... don't really die of old age in that setting.
>>
>>47229810
It's also worth noting that there are a good number of other people that have been alive since the dofus era (Joris, Goultard) but they kinda don't count since they have divine blood.
>>
File: melancholy knight.jpg (216KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
melancholy knight.jpg
216KB, 1280x719px
>>47229759
I rarely see any interesting (or realistic even) religions in games.
But then again, I am hard to please in that field since I have studied it since childhood.
>>
>>47228116
Tranies, Homosexuals, To many protagonists, tsuns.
>>
>>47229544
>>47228527
>anime
But Wakfu is the most French cartoon in existence outside of something that's hyperfrench like Babar.
>>
File: 1389311607401.png (33KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1389311607401.png
33KB, 500x375px
>>47228631

It took a bit of set up, we had advanced notice, and we didn't do stay in the other system to long. If not handled right I can see it being a nightmare to deal with though.
>>
>>47229850
With actual gods running around and handing out powers, religions in many fantasy worlds really don't have anything to do with actual religions.

They're more something like political parties.
>>
>>47229871
It's TECHNICALLY anime in that it's french animation and animation in french is "Anime"
I usually refer to it as "The OTHER kind of anime"
>>
>>47229879
Historical religions believed their gods were real, i.e. 'running around' as well.
>>
>>47229879

I don't how cool it would be if political parties handed out magic powers, but it would probably be amusing.
>>
>>47229783

It's a pretty decent system. Not highly complex but decent.

My favorite thing about it is the assumption that 'Look motherfucker, everyone can internet. It's the fucking future. You can have an advantage to internet better but by default everyone can internet.'
>>
>>47229871
But it also has ouibeaux so is anime
>>
>>47229903
>My favorite thing about it is the assumption that 'Look motherfucker, everyone can internet. It's the fucking future. You can have an advantage to internet better but by default everyone can internet.'

I don't really see the appeal, really. Am I missing something?
>>
>>47229895
Yes, but how often did it happen that people could go "hey, here is proof that those other guys are also telling the truth. Please don't smite me, Mr. Zeus"?
>>
>>47229879
Imagine the alternative.

>Okay, why didn't anyone of you put your characters religion on their sheet? I told you this was going to matter in this campaign.
>Matter? The gods do nothing at all and most people on the continent worship the exact same guy! All the differences are about who's His high priest or some 2deep4u theological bullshit!
>>
>>47229887a
French here, we don't call it Anime, we call it Animation (same a english) or Dessin animé (animated picture). The word Anime really comes from Japanimation, and we just stole a bunch of things from then
>>
>>47229914

Hacker Pizza Time mostly.

I've been in way too many games that have gone 'Oh look. The Hacker is doing his thing, everyone else go get dinner'
>>
>>47229933
So people have to bring some nuance to this, oh the terror.
>>
>>47229942
Sounds like dull groups who can't allow someone else to be in the limelight i.e. the hacker doing hackering hacker things.
>>
>>47228116
>it's hard science fiction and microchips and hard labor coexist in space
It is so hilariously uneconomical to shuttle tons of people around to do shitty jobs in space. The only way this could exist would be if somebody managed to convince all of the world's governments to exile people that they don't like to space in prison colonies in just about the most expensive prison sentence in existence.
>>
>>47229938

they actually stole the word anime from dessin anime
>>
>>47229963

There is a difference between 'Giving other players a chance to shine' and 'This will take an hour of no one else doing anything, minimum. If it's a complex system then the hacker is the only guy who'll do anything at all this session'.

This was terrible in Shadowrun 3e, got a little better (But still happened) in 4e.
>>
>>47228116
>Nobody is racist, nobody is a bigot and everybody loves each other, except the bad guys who are literal Nazis!

That's not how the world works. I can see that happening in a single country, but if the entire world is some kind of gray utopia where everybody accepts everybody as who they are everywhere except in bad-guy-land then the world just feels like a goddamned poorly written "what-if" fanfic.
>>
>>47229958
>So, these gods are supposed to be pretty powerful, right? When are they going to bust their ass and hand out the divine goodies?
>For your character? Well, after he dies, or when the world ends, whichever come first.
>>
>>47229987
I like that but reversing it. You know, when you play the Literal Nazi Badguys but reverse it so that they are the heroes. Currently running an Empire focused Age of Rebellion. Players are really getting into it. S'good.
>>
>>47229925
In yolden times people were ok with other people having different gods. After all, they were a different people, we dont really want them touching our gods anyways.
Then the whole "one true faith" shit got popular...
>>
>>47229987
Not everybody wants to hear about how sometimes racists are lovable grandmas or sensitive gentlesirs or whatever. It's about escapism so it makes sense you'd only use racism as a conflict starter. And making the racists the good guys like >>47230002 is a good way to start shit.
>>
>>47229925
That's not how polytheism works.
>>
>>47230017
>playing badguys means the players are bad guys
SOLID LOGIC! Next, we should petition to have every author arrested because they are obviously psycopaths with intend to maim, murder and rape in the future!
>>
Wakfu trpg when?
>>
>>47230039
How did you come to that conclusion from what that anon wrote?
>implying
>>
>>47230017
If anyone cant separate between themselves and the character enough to just deal with it then they shouldn't play TTRPGs.
>>
>>47228116
>Every race having single, one and only nation
>Fantasy races as clear stands-in for RL cultures/nations/whatever else
>Horde nations/factions/races that with no industry, agriculture or anything at all have bigger body count than anything else
>Bonus points if pretending to be historical accurate
>Non-human races that are nothing more than Human+
>Assassins Guild or similar, with all members wearing uniforms and being extremely conspicious fellas, yet it's some fucking secret society of hushed secrets that nobody ever notices
>Bards as guys with magical powers and not just fellas that travell around and perform.

>>47229712
>Decent
Cyberpunk 2020
>Modern
Sorry anon, cyberpunk is dead
>>
>>47230044
I remember there was an anon who was trying to do it, but he died off and haven't seen him pop up anywhere.
>>
>>47230136
>Sorry anon, cyberpunk is dead

I know. It's sad.
>>
>>47228116
This. Multiverses and time travel suck minotaur cock.
>>
>>47230017
>is a good way to start shit

if you're playing with oversensitive babies, sure, but hopefully you're choosing to play with adults who act like adults
>>
>>47229582

The edgiest post on 4chan I've seen today.
>>
>>47229582
So basically you regressed back into the opinions of a 13 year old as you grew older?
>>
>>47230209

so you just hopped on now and looked at that post first? because that post is about as edgy as a rubber ball
>>
File: nox 8-2.jpg (89KB, 1024x613px) Image search: [Google]
nox 8-2.jpg
89KB, 1024x613px
>>47229552
>>47229785
Fuck, didnt know that
>>
>>47230189
It's not dead. It's just that...we're living in it.
>>
>>47228116
I like time travel, but not multiverses. Multiverses are the absolute fucking worst and pretty much ruin every setting they are in. I've never been in a good setting with multiverses.
>>
>>47230223
Nah, man, you're kind of just an asshole.

"Yeah, it's OK that your opinions are wrong, I was young and stupid once too."

Sorry man, but when you respond like that to an argument that gives explanations and stuff while offering none of your own, you kinda just come off as that annoying person who disagrees with things just to be contrarian and hear themselves talk.
>>
>>47230241
>we're living it

Some people have meagre cybernetics nowadays and few if any are implanted for fun or cools, and there are no neon punks Akira style. We are not living cyberpunk yet.
>>
>>47230254

first guy wasn't me, but you've just displayed your total fucking ignorance of the definition of edgy

plus you posted >>47230209 and >>47230215 1 minute 1 second apart so you made it really obvious you samefagged to display said total fucking ignorance, you dumb cunt
>>
>>47230257
>cyberpunk is about cybernetic implants and prosthetics

Yes, let's ignore the fact that you can be killed by a small flying robot that came to that decision and that we live more in the cyberspace than we do in the 'real world'.
>>
>>47230331
This. we cyberpunk now, it's just that the 80's movies were wrong about how it would look like.
>>
>>47230351
But it was 80's movies that made the term Cyberpunk though. Just because the modern day's cybernetics and robotics look different, doesn't mean that Cyberpunk is something else.
>>
>>47228683
So you prefer magic that's incredibly vague and used as a deus ex machina constantly because nobody actually knows how it works?
>>
>>47229660
I feel the same way, from what I've heard about Shadowrun. The whole 'elves and dwarves and magic in a futuristic setting' thing rubs me the wrong way.
>>
File: magician.jpg (49KB, 462x283px) Image search: [Google]
magician.jpg
49KB, 462x283px
>>47230391
Not that anon, but yes, definatly. Magic should be mystical. Strange and spooky. Weird and cosmical. Rituals and shit.
>>
>>47230290
>MORE THAN ONE PERSON CALLED ME OUT ON BEING AN ASSHOLE!
>SAMEFAGGING! THEY HAVE TO BE!
>>
>>47230389
No, it was the books those 80's movies were inspired by that made the term Cyberpunk. And those books dealt with more than just neon and cybernetic enhancements.

Some delved in political commentary how governments would jump at the prospect of technology that would allow them to easily spy on their citizenry and how corporations would influence the politics (as they actually do now).
>>
File: 1457939827310.png (95KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1457939827310.png
95KB, 625x626px
>>47230290
Have you ever considered that not everyone who disagrees with you is the same boogeyman out to get you and maybe you're just being a jerk? Especially when your posts have absolutely zero reasoning behind them other than "UR WRUNG, IM RITE!"

Stop with the damage-control already. It's an anonymous image board.
>>
>>47230136
>Non-human races that are nothing more than Human+
Basically this.
I had a That Guy in my old group who insisted on playing evil characters, especially elves. I rejected all his drow characters because he'd always hand me a piece of paper saying "Chaotic evil drow" while saying "I want to play this".
He insisted that a hood covering his character's elven ears meant that he could masquerade as a human. He got incredibly shitty with me when all the NPCs could tell he was an elf by looking at his face or hearing his voice.
>>
>>47229512
Yeah, it always ends up feeling really disjointed. And I hate when everything is just "Ok, here's the plane of N, where everything is the literal platonic ideal of N. The ground is made of N, and it's just an endless expanse of N. There's N-dogs and N-men, and other silly N-monsters, but they're all magical and immortal and shit so we don't have to worry about actually coming up with any kind of culture or ecosystem. The N plane is diametrically opposed to the Y plane, but that doesn't actually really mean anything because nothing ever travels between any of these planes except for crazy wizards. I really don't get why so many fantasy settings have to make up a bunch of random half-assed planes based on arbitrary "elements" and concepts.

On the other hand, I've always been a fan of "alternate earths", where you usually have 10 or so alternate histories, and travel between them is either controlled exclusively by a single organization in the "home timeline", or is extremely rare/random/secret.

I also like a "small" multiverse. Like, if you just have earth, an underworld, and a heaven. I'm also totally into spirit worlds, fey worlds, shadow worlds, etc.
>>
>>47231630
This reminds me about people LARPing as half-elves. They are in every inch human, but with bandanas/capes/hoods/large hats covering just the tips of their ears.
And the character as such is 100% human, but with half-elves bonus.

In fact, this not only applies to LARP, but also tabletop RPG. Shit's annoying.
>>
>>47230010
This, a thousand times. It started with this one Pharaoh who wanted to make everybody worship his sun god, and seems to have spread from there.
>>
>>47228559

That's retarded though. Rolls are there to settle matters when they are ambiguous and nobody knows quite which way the narrative would go in.

If a PC tries to bribe his way past a gate guard, it's totally up in the air whether that particular guard is the kind of person who'd accept bribes or not. That's why this kind of thing is settled through a roll.
>>
>>47231723
I mean, depending on the setting, that could work. It's boring, but not necessarily unreasonable.
>>
>>47231677
Ha ha I just remembered a moment from an old game.

Party ends up in "The Elemental Plane of Dragons."

Room goes quiet as we can see the confused and contorted face of our token black player. Who is just staring at the GM with a mixture of disgust and confusion.

"The ELEMENTAL Plane of Dragons?"
>"Yes"
"So everything is made of dragons here? Everything? Right down to the subatomic scale where goddamn quarks are just tiny little dragons running around?"
>"...uh"
"Guess it's just dragons all the way down then. I'm out. Going to the Elemental Plane of Bitches. Fuck lizards man."
>>
File: Maryja.jpg (27KB, 407x600px) Image search: [Google]
Maryja.jpg
27KB, 407x600px
>>47228559
>>Magic exists, but technology and culture in a setting hasn't evolved around it's existence.
ctrl+c ctrl+v here you go anon
http://pastebin.com/F8zDqEZE
>>
>>47228116
>Huzzah we've defeated the ultimate Evil! Now we can live in peace.
>What's that you say? An even more powerful evil?
>Sally forth to defeat it at once.
>Now we have truly the bested the most powerful evil that ever has been or ever will be!
>oh but that was merely the precursor to an ancient evil?
>well lets go...

...and so on. At some point, stake-raising stops working.
>>
>>47230136
>Every race having single, one and only nation
Yes, but otherwise, if you have multiple cultures of same race, isn't it better to just make them humans?
>>
File: robot jones.gif (472KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
robot jones.gif
472KB, 500x250px
>>47228281
>tfw
>>
File: tmnt-crossover-173046.jpg (761KB, 655x369px) Image search: [Google]
tmnt-crossover-173046.jpg
761KB, 655x369px
>>47228610
That sounds like something they sometimes do in cartoons or comics, where the artstyle becomes outdated in reference to the older versions.

I like this. Sounds hard to setup, but really cool.
>>
>>47228559
I expect you to do this as well with: knowledge, perception, memory, combat, etc.
If you are forcing the players to play themselves on the social aspect of the game, take it to its only logical conclusion and do the same to the whole game.
>>
>>47229548
>watch it for the first time in years since I've finished watching Wakfu
>still tear up a bit

Dammit Nox.
>>
>>47232097
That's the entire point - it's boring, making half-elves literally humans+ and in this particular case the entire "+" is barely there to begin with.
Why not playing as regular human then if you are playing as one anyway?
>>
>>47228610
This is interesting if you've grown up with the older systems.

A pain if you didn't.
>>
>>47228559
>Kinda undermines the impact of persistence and human achievement if all the nobility and heroes and everyone else important just got that way because "MUH SPECIAL BLOODLINE".

not every setting needs to be fair. do you think dragons work for their powers? no, they just got lucky and were born as flying death machines. and humans were lucky they weren't born as gnomes or starfish. and the people with special bloodlines are lucky they were born into that bloodline and not a normal one. that doesn't stop you having a story where the dragon is defeated by more determined or skilled humans who are less powerful in theory.
>>
>>47228116
Magic vs Technology
Scifi vs Fantasy
>>
File: 1462827384649.png (36KB, 876x928px) Image search: [Google]
1462827384649.png
36KB, 876x928px
>>47229447
>dub
>subs
>not speaking French
Are you some kind of peasant?
>>
>>47232147
Good thing banal, petty evil is all around to stop, then.
>>
>>47228843
I feel the same. I let my players ask me what they would know, I feel it's an enlightened question because the player isn't going to know everything the character knows.

Except Rogue Trader. We all know what's up.
>>
>>47234457
>the party quests to defeat every Homeowners Association in America
>>
>OMG MAGIC IS SO DANGEROUS AND TAKES MANY DECADES TO LEARN AND CAN JUST RANDOMLY KILL/MUTATE/WARP YOU IF YOU CAST A SMALL FIREBALL AND EVERYONE WILL GO INQUISITOR ON YOUR ASS IF YOU EVEN IMPLY ANYTHING MAGICAL

Fuck you, let me be a cool wizard dude.
>>
>>47232141

With magic basically being 'free energy' and creating all basic necessities, what then becomes the new high value items? What becomes 'valuable' and even 'rare'?

Perhaps naturalistic things? That could be why adventurers go out into the outside world, for their type of 'fame and glory' by bringing in a unique haul that can't be fabricated by a spellcaster. Or maybe life itself becomes an economic force?

Or, like with 3D printers, maybe it boils down to Ideas and by extension, copyrights for them that have any inherent value left.
>>
>>47234565

I honestly find this one as overplayed as 'MAGES = GODS' nonsense.

I like high proliferation of low-to-middlesome magic being everywhere and how that influences a society vs some dick in a robe battling gods on other planes with his super secret ancient magic in a battle no one is even aware of.
>>
>>47228116
>Magic comes at steep price
>Everyone is using it anyway

I know but a SINGLE instance where this was brought as an issue. A short story written by Bacigalupi, where the entire world is covered by magic-fueled tentrils that are toxic, but people are so used to handling stuff with magic they just can't contain themselves and eventually end up all dead under the thorns and thick bush.
>>
>>47228559
>Magic exists, but technology and culture in a setting hasn't evolved around it's existence.

Completely justifiable when magic isn't some commonplace bullshit but rather an entirely mystic thing that is barely ever truely shown, AKA a non-shit setting
>>
>>47228116
I know this is technically autism, but I just can't stand most map/world designs. I'm a surveyor by trade. When I see maps in tune of "and here - we will place some wicked mountains and right next to them this dense foliage and then next to it this super-desert", part of me is screaming. The rest is just trying not to head-butt nearby wall few times.
>>
>>47235147
>when magic isn't some commonplace bullshit
Unfortunately, it usually IS commonplace bullshit that everyone and their dog can use on reliable basis, yet the world is barely shaped by it.

Speaking of which
>Functional magic with no drawbacks
>Feudal societies based on scaracity
And before anyone brings the old and tired "but Ricardo competitive value" - we are talking about setting where magic use is as common as breathing.
>>
>only human/elf/dwarf pc's allowed
>all dwarfs are bearded drunks
>all elves are master archers
>all humans are either plate wearing fighters or robe wearing mages
>all other races are evil baby eating monsters, no exception.
>>
File: 1362941250455.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1362941250455.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>47235316
>There is this group/nation/race of X and they are ALL EVIL
>ALL OF THEM
>EVERY SINGLE MOTHERFUCKER

How the fuck they are even suppose to function if they are literally uncapable of any acts than murder?
>>
>>47229905
I like this more than I care to admit.
>>
>>47229987
Humans are casually racist towards the races they've subjugated(and most of the ones they haven't) in my setting, and the players looked at me like I was a monster.
>>
>>47228373
I've always wanted to make a setting where there's a prophecy about "the chosen one" defeating the BBEG.

The twist is that the prophecy is fake, and invented to trick the BBEG into using most of his resources to find and kill the so-called chosen one, while the actual heroes can stay safe.
>>
File: fedora.jpg (60KB, 990x557px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.jpg
60KB, 990x557px
>>47228116
>any system where you add things to medieval europe without propagating the effects of those changes

>>47228559
This shit.
>necromancers everywhere but we still bury the dead in wooden boxes
>stone walls when passwall, teleportation, geomancy, etc. exist
>rural zones are covered in tiny hamlets a single ankheg or a couple hobgoblins could massacre in an afternoon
>thousand year old lich lives in a series of dank underground cubes. fucker, you can teleport. you of all people should know this isn't sufficient protection

On the same note, and pic related
>inserting modern sociocultural values into medieval and premodern societies
>dark ages full of egalitarian activists and euphoric atheists
>>
>>47235360
I think this one is okay, but you have to figure out how it would actually work.

Imagine a fanatically xenophobic tribal society where you'd give your last strip of jerky to a wounded kinsman (you know he'd do the same for you) but if outlanders come into your territory you hunt then for sport.

Anyone outside would call them chaotic evil, but they have a means of maintaining their society.
>>
>>47228426
It completely ignores the nuance of race, and since there isn't half of every different combo of race, it seems weirdly selective. I'm with you on half-races. I get putting rules in for what happens when you share the genes of certain different races, but it just always comes off as pretty fantasy-racist. Also, what if one of my grandparents is an orc, one is an elf, and two are human? fuck, what if my dad was a dwarf? I mean, I know, I know, I can work with it just fine. Still incomplete, if not dumb.
>>
File: FILE1423.jpg (18KB, 618x360px) Image search: [Google]
FILE1423.jpg
18KB, 618x360px
>>47228394
>Not getting the reference
>>
>>47228559
And here we have Gugrok the Dullwitted, dumbfuck barbarian debating the finer points of economical recession with professionals with Gugrok the Dullwitted never having learned anything related to the subject, barely understanding the term.

>Confirmed existence of gods and gods' involvement in mortal affairs.
Oh no, somebody with more power that interferes with us. Better call the political party to shove me some aid so i can pull anti-god coup off. But before that let me put this political party hat on and this shirt that says "Political Party" and attend to the local democratic party speech. Because that is totally different from putting this symbol of the god of commerce on me. attending to the god's church's ceremonies and so forth.
tl;dr and with less autism: just imagine them as political parties because that's what they basically are.

>Non-permanent Death
It's there only for mechanical purposes, stop looking too much into it.
>>
>>47236515
Because not everybody watches your chinese cartoons.
>>
>>47236806
>not reading the thread
>>
>>47228577
Well that explains why I can't find that episode.
>>
>>47237184
it'ss in season 2, right after the boufball thing
>>
Entire groups of human beings as stereotypes.
(it's bad with entire fantasy races as well, but a little less egregious)

I'm looking at you, L5R.
>>
>>47235857
>but you have to figure out how it would actually work.
I've got the answer already - it wouldn't.
At all.

Unless they spawn out of blue, grow out of water-propelled seeds or other bullshit like that, it wouldn't work.
>>
>>47236881
Different anon, but I too don't get the "time travel for 20 minutes" meme that /tg/ loves so much.
>>
File: In Soviet Union, you blow wind.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
In Soviet Union, you blow wind.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>47237762
Wind, not water, damn it.
>>
>>47237771
It's in the thread. It's from Wakfu, a huge spoiler actually.
>>
>>47237771
>>47237850
We can't really explain it cause it's a massive spoiler for season one
>>
>>47237771
The BBEG of wakfu spent hundreds of years doing terrible things trying to achieve time travel. He made some mistakes in his past that got his wife and kids killed and wanted to see them again. He figured that nothing he did would matter because he would change it after going back to the past anyway. After all of that, after genociding an entire race and killing one of the main characters, he was able to reverse time by 20 minutes.
>>
>>47229712
axon punk
>>
>>47237850
>>47237944
The fuck is Wakfu anyway?

And that's all? Single jump 20 minutes back or the ability to make such jumps?
>>
>>47238062
single jump.

wakfu is a french animated series. there is also a minis combat game and an MMO (technically 2)
>>
File: wakfuwhores.jpg (390KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wakfuwhores.jpg
390KB, 1920x1080px
>>47238062
it's more all the horrible things he did and people he killed over the years only gave him a 20-minute jump, so it was all for nothing
>>
>>47238062
It's a french cartoon.

He spent hundreds of years gathering energy, which was expended to perform the jump, 20 minutes is all it got him.
>>
kerubim > *
>>
>>47238062
Wakfu is both the name of the cartoon and in the cartoon it is the name of, essentially, life-force.

Main villian (Nox) has the goal of gathering a fuckton of life-force to go back to before he became obsessed with time magic. He became so obsessed he lost track of time, and his family died from some disaster that he could have prevented or some shit, i dont remember.

He sucks Wakfu from tons of beings, trees, people, animals, and finally the life source of essentially a race of dryads, thinking that would give him enough to go back in time to save his family, and that if he goes back it would prevent him from ever doing the evil he did anyways. But all the wakfu from all those years only ticked the clock back 20 minutes.
>>
>>47238235
It's implied that nox MAY have killed sadida himself
>>
Multiple universes can really fuck it up for me. It can be fine if it's done really subtly but usually once we get beyond two it starts to just make everything feel really insignificant.
I like cosmic horror but it getting beaten alot kind of ruins it for me.
Technology is evil kills it for me, religion is evil kills it for me, and technomagic usually kills it for me. Science Fantasy can work for me every now and then but it gets tedious when they start relying on psyker powers to explain shit when it's just fucking magic.
And the thing that honestly bothers me in a setting is: it's tolkien but...
After so many iterations it's starting to feel like the fantasy setting is just the cast of races playing different roles. I get they're the most established things ever and have deep rooted traditions with mythology but goddamn why does science fiction (something that in theory should have to play closer to the rules of logic) get to have such diverse settings whereas fantasy (where the limit should literally be your imagination) has to always adhere to the golden standard.
>>
File: 1449958278128.jpg (273KB, 781x661px) Image search: [Google]
1449958278128.jpg
273KB, 781x661px
>>
File: 1409507751935.jpg (31KB, 400x505px) Image search: [Google]
1409507751935.jpg
31KB, 400x505px
>>47229582
Not that guy but fuck you
>>
>>47238308
Personally I think people who bitch about multiverses were deprived of Spellbinder as kids and teens. Especially the 2nd season of it.

And I can't stand "It's Tolkien +..." settings too, mostly because I don't find Tolkien anything special to begin with.
>>
>>47229978
Sounds like shitty session planning, how did you not have stuff to do while hackerman was hacking?
>>
>>47234196
German
>>
>>47240786

...Because the time scale is vastly different? Because to convey the impossibly complex things the hacker is doing in an eyeblink, you have to actually SPEND that "eyeblink" (read: for every fucking body else) DOING those impossibly complex things the hacker is doing. This takes time, both to narrate and to respond to.
>>
>>47240980
Alternately, the hacking actually takes time, and leaves the rest with time to do other shit. (like defending the hacker from interference perhaps?)

Or you describe that he hacks, do the skill roll and get on with business.

Not my fault that you decide that the hacking needs untold amounts of narration while also taking but a moment in character.
>>
>>47241101

You're missing the point. SR3 and SR4 hacking / decking, they were long, drawn out processes. You don't just say, "Hacker, hack! *roll* You hacked hackfully! Okay, time for shooty guys." You had to find the system. You had to crack into the system. You had to find the subsystem of the system you're wanting to fuck with. You had to defeat the subsystem and successfully fuck with it. You had to avoid, and sometimes defeat, counter-forces. And you did all this in the time it will take to finish this sentence. The core book explicitly states that this may take subjective minutes or hours in the Matrix while only lasting a moment in meatspace. The disconnect is baked right in.

Too often, "bad time management" meant "having a decker". On-site combat deckers could be worked around and were a worthwhile schtick, but the remote decker in a white room in Sao Paolo or Seoul or Savannah can literally cause the meat players to have one combat pass, and then fifteen minutes to an hour of decker decking.
>>
>>47228851
They're both examples of the disconnect between player and character.
>>
>>47230391

I prefer magic to be weird, abstract, mystical, and above all, mysterious.

It shouldn't necessarily be a fucking shopping list that tells you how the spell will work every single time. This isn't Final Fantasy!
>>
>>47240786

Dude, do you realize how fast hacking is resolved in real-time.

In-game, every action runs at the speed of plot, you could literally shut down multiple security mainframes in the time it takes someone to drop a pen.

It's so goddamn quick, you can't have people do anything else because by the time you try to do something, the hacker is already finished.

Of course, IC the process is easy but OOC, the process is complicated as fuck and requires the GM and the player focusing on the task for at least 15-60 minutes until it's over.
>>
>>47241101

It's stated within the rules that hacking takes a moment to perform In-Game.
>>
>>47228281
>Multiverse
Building up speed for 12 hours
>>
>>47234196
Tbh, polish dub was also great. English one should be burned down tho
>>
>>47228281
>>47228355
Okay, what's the reference? All I see on google is a crazy dude talking about his watch.
>>
>>47244546
Watch the show.
If you don't want to watch the villain was trying to turn back time many centuries to save his family from death. He went crazy after their death and determined that the best way to save them was to turn back time itself and rescue them. After wiping out several civilizations to drain their magical force to fuel his power, taking centuries of labor, he turned back time a total of 20 minutes.
>>
>>47231630
>>47231723
Just have everyone assume they're some kind of criminal trying to cover up their mutilated ears.
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.