[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 28

Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Old Thread >>47189501
>>
Thread topic

What is your favorite setting? Which setting do you most want to see released in official materials?
>>
Thread Topic: What's been your most memorable moment in 5e so far?
>>
>>47201396
Eberron. A setting I read a ton about but only got to play two sessions in for 5e. I would love to see mechanical and fluff support for it, if only to encourage more people to check it out.
>>
>>47201396
Spelljammer when
>>
>>47201396
None. Players are metagaming cunts and give me shit when there is game-sourcebook inconsistency in the setting they learned by the fucking heart.
>>
>>47201404

Most memorable moment had to be when another player and I utterly destroyed the DM's boss. I was a devotion pally, he was playing a mystic. This boss had deceived us and I, tired of the party questioning her, threw down a zone of truth. She then proceeded to kick me in the face and get into a fighting stance. My character got pissed that he was lied to (he was genuinely trying to help her) and charged her, his attack rolling into a crit. I smited. Mystic came up and threw down as much damage as he could, and between the two of us, we downed the boss in a single round. In my mind, I picture the scene like a cliche anime scene, the two of us on one side, boss on the other, then there are speed lines and we do the whole "run past each other" trope, then she explodes. Kinda lame, but it was exciting in the moment.
>>
I guess I should forget about the defiling and preserving effects of magic in athas, wouldn't want to "take a boxcutter" to a class
>>
>>47201396

Favorite setting is Eberron. Every race feels actually fleshed out and unique (my favorite halflings in any setting, and the gnomes aren't too shabby either). I think the factions and cosmology is fun too.

Warforged get me rock hard too.
>>
>>47201404
I'll take this one.
There was one time where the party was oing an udnerground dungeon crawl, and managed to fool a stone golem into believing that its master had returned.
They then proceeded to sic it on a set of drow unfortunate enough to have just started attacking the party.
Now, the golem managed to crush most of the drow, but one of the dark elves managed to fail his morale check early enough to get a head start fleeing. The golem wasn't going to take that, and began to give chase down the very narrow hallway with no side rooms and a sharp turn around the exit corner.
I ended up making some rolls to see if the poor bastard got away, as the golem was gaining momentum and speed with the second and the distance must have been something like 500 feet.
What ended up happening was that the party heard a thunderous cracking noise and the ground shake a little bit as the golem accidentally ran into the wall at the end of the hallway, unable to turn in time.
The drow got away, but NEVER came back.
>>
>>47201539
>doing an underground
>>
>>47201396
>What is your favorite setting?
Forgotten Realms, actually, so I'm doing pretty good. Though I'd like to range into the Dalelands more and leave the Sword Coast for a bit. Also some stuff for Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan.

>Which setting do you most want to see released in official materials?
Of the unpublished ones, I guess Spelljammer.

>>47201404
>What's been your most memorable moment in 5e so far?
The time I essentially single-handedly slew a CR 13 white dragon at 8th level, definitely.

Incoming shitstorm in 3...2...1...
>>
>>47201572
How'd you manage it?
>>
So /tg/ how do you roll for your stats? Is the default option good? My players seem to always come out with insanely good stats or nothing greater than 14...
>>
>>47201572
I single handedly killed a CR10 as at level 5.
Considering the hit points of a Aboleth, it isn't surprising though.
>>
>>47201679
>rolling for stats
Why

If you do decide to do it, do it as the book says, I think this edition is 4d6 drop the lowest
>>
>>47199694

Okay, so, what are the important things for Shamans?

Elemental and Resto Shamans need to be full casters with access to healing spells, elemental damage spells, possibly summoning elementals, Bloodlust if possible. Land Druids (with the circle spells picking up anything not on the druid spell list, and an agreement only to Wild Shape for travel purposes) fits the best of all existing classes, I think. IIRC Druids get shields too?

Enhancement Shamans are going to be dual wielders with some minor spell casting too. So, probably melee Hunter Rangers (ironically Hunters will never pick Hunter Ranger because of how important the pet is) or something like Eldritch Knight houseruled to use Druid spells instead of Wizard.

I don't think totems are interesting enough to give any particular mechanical effect to. Like, I'd probably just use them as spellcasting focuses / incorporate them into spell descriptions sort of thing rather than 3.PF out some incredibly narrow mechanical description for how they work.
>>
>>47201396
Zendikar, desu. Back when the first Zendikar set was released it became the primary inspiration for a 3.5e setting I made. Those dramatic landscapes are still among my favourite.
>>
>>47201743
What about Nature Clerics?
>>
File: orky.jpg (18KB, 236x334px) Image search: [Google]
orky.jpg
18KB, 236x334px
Had an idea of a PC, but wondering if it's a little too edgy or weird and I don't wanna be That Guy.

Character in a nutshell:
>Half orc born to a travelling merchant and female orc
>Merchant gets ostracized due to his relationship and has to set up a struggling shop to make ends meet
>My character carries guilt whole life and decides to join the army so that their wages can support their parents.
>Army a little cold towards half orc, but squad warms up soon enough, friends are made
>Division sent to clear out an enemy encampment, but it was a trap that led to the whole squad getting killed so the rest of the regiment could clear up after
>Dying, my character sees a fiendish character offering a deal: perform as his emissary on this plane and he'll save her life and give her the power to avenge her squadron and support her parents
>She accepts

So basically a fighter/warlock multiclass with a female half orc soldier-turned-mercenary. She'd wanna be CG but of course the stuff the patron would want of her might lead to some bad stuff.

(also is it weird to play a female half orc when I'm a guy? I swear its not a fetish of mine)
>>
>>47201396
Can't decide between Spelljammer, Eberron, and Dark Sun. The least generic, and most interesting settings.
>>
>>47201743
I was thinking of allowing a totem to work as a way to cast concentration spells without actually having to use the concentration mechanic, like earthbind totem or stoneskin totem, but having them be super fragile (something like AC10, 5hp) and only affecting targets within a specific area
>>
>>47201853
It can work as long as you don't brood over your backstory too much. Do you think it is practical for [revenge against army commander] to be a goal for your character, especially if you describe them as CG? Why did the fiend accept your character in particular?
>>
>>47201679
roll 3d6, rerolling anything under 6. Do this 3 times, to get three numbers.

Next consult the following chart to get your last 3 numbers.

18<>6
17<>7
16<>8
15<>9
14<>10
13<>11
12<>12

The chart runs both ways. For example, if I rolled 18, 7, 11, then I would have a second set of three numbers of 6, 17, 13.

Combine the two sets to generate your array:

This system has a few advantages: the average number of any given array generated by it will always be exactly 12. The stat total generated by it will always be 72.

This ensures that every stat array generated by it is optimal.

IMO, systems like this (roll half the dice, calculate the other half) are the best for rolling because of these advantages. You could do something similar here with 4d6, 2d8, 6d3, 8d2, etc. Just as long as you make it so the minimum roll is always the same distance from 12 as the maximum roll is.

Though I wouldn't recommend rolling for stats. in my experience players only enjoy stat rolling until they get a shitty roll. Then it's nothing but complaints all session long.
>>
>>47201743
>>47201903
Then again, that is if I did end up making the class, I dunno, I guess it works out that way
New circles for elemental and resto
Ranger path or paladin oath for shaman
>>
>>47201604
Being a Thief helped a lot.

- Dagger of Venom, i.e., magic weapon to get past Resistance;
- 50 ft. length of rope tied into a lasso;
- A successful attack roll with said rope to lasso its leg;
- Climbing at full speed (60 ft. in this case since I'd already used my Action, so I was left with my Move and my Bonus (Dash) from Cunning Action) up the rope and onto its back thanks to Second-Story work; (worth noting here that the dragon flew well away from my comrades in the interim, hence why they weren't helping);
- 3 potions of cure wounds as needed to survive attacks;
- 1 potion of water breathing to survive going underwater;
- Not needing to make Constitution saves against Frigid Water until a number of minutes equal to one's Constitution score has passed;
- Climbing onto a big creature granting Advantage (and thereby Sneak Attack) while also putting me out of range of all of the dragon's attacks except its tail;
- Successful Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks to avoid being thrown off or crushed;
- Successful Dexterity (Stealth) checks to avoid the dragon being able to even see me on its back about 1/5th of the time;
- Lucky feat to re-roll bad rolls;
- Blind luck letting me critical several times;
- Uncanny Dodge feature to halve damage against me 1/round;
- Mediocre rolls on the dragon's part, including its final attack roll.

I survived with 4 hit points (one more hit would have killed me but it managed to fail to hit me with its tail attack AND Legendary attacks). It had also already taken 16 damage from the other party members, however my last attack dealt damage such that I was only 3 points away from having dealt the dragon's full HP to it in damage.

It's momentous because not only did I essentially solo the dragon, but in fact this was my first time fighting a dragon in D&D ever, since until this campaign I had been stuck as a Forever DM for about 10 years.
>>
>>47201927
I was torn between the main bond being between revenge or just becoming an independent merc supporting a nice old couple. I'm leaning more toward the latter though, so I could drop the vengeance.

As for why the fiend chose her: He actually made the same deal to everyone in her squadron but everyone denied the deal except her, I was gonna tell the DM this so he could cause a little mind-fuckery later on if their relationship got strained
>>
>>47201679
4d6 drop lowest 6 times, and you can choose to re-roll your lowest score but if you do you must also re-roll your highest.

>>47201741
>Why

Because a) that's how the game is supposed to be played, and b) it can be fun to work with a character with a poor score.
>>
>>47202020
You can build characters with poor scores using point buy
>>
>>47201743
>>47201903
>>47201950
> ITT: furious self-bumping

Nature Cleric.
Totem Barb.
Any Circle Druid.
Outlander Wizard with Elemental Spells.

You have not indicated any reason this needs to be its own thing.
>>
>>47201936
>>47201936
This is pretty cool. We ran Death House recently with random stats and the suck stat Barbarian turned out to be the coolest character, so I guess we got lucky there!
I will see how this kind of system goes over with the players.
>>
>>47201465
>playing Dark Sun and not dealing with defiling
What other heresy are you planning? Not forcing your Clerics into an elementally-themed domain? Banning psionics and Muls? Not putting slaad literally fucking everywhere? Letting halflings in the party?
>>
>>47202020
>a character's attributes are determined by the fortunes of their birth and not any specific training regimen or the circumstances of their life up to the point of play
How fucking arbitrary. Why don't you pick a race and class first, then roll, and lock stats in the order they're rolled instead of being able to shuffle good rolls to class-appropriate skills? That's how you simulate your goofy genetic predisposition.
>but why would my character have wound up as a Wizard if he was born with 9 Intelligence and never got smarter before ASIs
good question
>>
>>47201968
The dragon should actually have had disadvantage on tail attacks to you, senpai. It's really hard for lizards to swipe their tails at their backs, not to mention the whole deal with it having to to actually aim at a spot it's not used to aiming at.

And it technically should be hitting itself if it misses you.
>>
File: mellowlinkost.jpg (508KB, 1357x1079px) Image search: [Google]
mellowlinkost.jpg
508KB, 1357x1079px
>>47201853
Literally Mellowlink.
>EVERYTHING FOR REVENGE
>>
>>47201465
Just make a less damaging version of the spell Blight that's level 0 and makes it so that things can't grow there again. Make it so that the arcane caster can choose to gain advantage on attack/force disadvantage on saving throw, but as a result the negative spell goes off and auto-targets things in this order:
Nearby nonhostile magical plants
Nearby mundane plants
Nearby allies
Nearby Enemies
Nearby Hostile enemy plants.
>>
Looking for some feedback on some race selections. Some are straight adaptations of vanilla 5e stuff while others are an amalgamation of two or more races with some adapted homebrew stuff thrown in.

http://pastebin.com/TXuc3xBZ
>>
>>47202394
>slapping a fly on your leg and killing it also does 6 damage to you since the fly itself had 6 HP and died from the swat
Don't be silly.

My question is why the dragon didn't juke and shake like a madman, forcing a million acrobatics checks to hold on to its back (or the rope [or the rope to stay tied to it]).
>>
Deathbloom seems good especially for Ravenloft BUT I'm confused. Can he shapeshift into anything with the [Plant] Archetype?

I think a way to make him better is to have him only go up to CR 1 like the Circle of the Land but make him be able to shapeshift up to CR 6 [Plant] creatures, following the same path progression as the Circle of the Moon
>>
>>47202469
Your logic doesn't really, anon.
It's doing everything it can to get the deadly creature off its back. It's going to strike as hard as it can in that position. It's more like punching the fly as hard as you can and giving yourself a dead leg.
>>
>>47202469
The rope stayed tied to its (hind) leg but that wasn't relevant once I was on its back.

>My question is why the dragon didn't juke and shake like a madman, forcing a million acrobatics checks to hold on to its back

It did, but I kept making the Acrobatics checks and then dealing damage.

If we're being completely honest, and with perfect hindsight, the most efficient thing the dragon could have done from a gaming standpoint is stand still and just swipe at me with its tail over and over again. I survived with a small enough amount of hit points (4 hp) that a single additional successful attack, even with Uncanny Dodge, would have killed me due to its minimum damage being 8. But it wasted its actions several times on trying to throw me off instead.

Would have been great if it worked, of course, since then it's free to fuck me up with claws, bit, tail, and CON-save-based breath weapon. But it didn't. Because again, perfect hindsight.

> forcing a million acrobatics checks

Also from a strictly gamist standpoint it doesn't work like that. The dragon could use its Action to try and shake me off, which forced an Acrobatics check against its Strength check (this is defined under climbing large creatures in the DMG). I just kept passing those checks, and it could only do this once on its turn in lieu of any other kind of Action.
>>
>>47202228
>>47202458
Don't worry guys I wouldn't actually do something so stupid, just responding to a guy in the previous thread who was annoyed I planned to alter the druid spell lists to fit the Azeroth setting, considering druids there can't into fire/frost/earth

Most of the group are wow players so I'll just ask their opinion and see where it goes
>>
>>47202459
A is human
B is variant human
C is half-orc
D is a dwarfelf
E is a half elf with a bonus feat (OP)
F is absolute trash
G is the most broken thing I have ever seen
>>
>>47202598
Sounds like you're GM went easy on you. No way you should have been able to kill that Dragon.

It sounds like the green text story about the luchador
>>
>>47201986
Oooh that's actually really good. Might steal.
>>
>>47202718
>G is the most broken thing I have ever seen

Thought so. The race originally had +2 on all Knowledge checks and +1 racial bonus on all saving throws, but that was for 3.5e.

The main problem is the advantage on all saving throws, right? I'd like to keep some bonus to saving throws to be true to the original. Is adding a character's proficiency bonus to all saving throws still too broken, or should I leave it as a static, low number?
>>
>>47201572
Stop posting your story. You've explained it countless times and everytime you do somebody rightfully points out that it wasn't singlehandedly, you had the Dm on your side the entire time.
>>
>>47202875
Absolutely still broken, most things about it are okay, but put together it becomes a massive ball of "make a wizard and win forever"

+2 int and proficiency in all int skills is too good

Proficiency in all saving throws is too good

If you are adding any number to saving trows as part of the racial bonuses it should be to either one specific saving throw or in all saving throws against a specific thing

And if you're adding skills you should add 1, two at the very most
>>
>>47202992
>make a wizard and win forever

That actually fits with the setting.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do.
>>
>>47202459
> Advantage on all saving throws
What the fuck
>>
>>47202524
Please help.
>>
>>47202875
Advantage adds up to about +5 on average.

So if you think adding advantage would be op, then adding in proficiency on all saves definitely would be.
>>
Working on a not!warforged style race for a homebrew setting. One of the subraces is battle-constructs a la Eberron, but the other is more like a magical reactor worker.

I want both to have a form of innate magic resistance, but I don't want it to be excessively powerful (e.g., actual resistance). Would reducing all damage/healing from spells by ConMod (minimum 1) be silly?
>>
>>47202875
Here's how I would score it, using the pointbuy system:
>+2 Intelligence (2)
>+4 Skills (2)
>Advantage on all saving throws (6+), score eyeballed because no race has that ability
>Total Score: 10+ (at least 54% better than half-elves, arguably the best race in the game)
Considering that the target number is 6, you could just have advantage on all saving throws BE the racial feature.
What you should probably look for is this:
>+2 Intelligence (2)
>+2 Skills, to be picked from INT skills, (1)
>Gnome cunning (2)
>+1 Tool Proficiency (0.5)
Making it an arguably balanced race (5.5 points).
Referencing point system here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub
>>
>>47203176
>Would reducing all damage/healing from spells
That is, damage/healing from spells to this creature, not from spells this creature casts.
>>
>>47187672
Cleric
>2d6+5d8+15 (mean 47)

>>47186349
Fighter
>3d10+2d6+75 (mean 100)

Nigger are you fucking seriously trying to imply that a minmaxed cleric outputs more damage than a minmaxed fighter?

>>47201968
Also, fucking christ, it's this guy again.
>>
>>47203176
>>47203260
What are its other racial features?
I'd have it receive about a quarter less healing than usual, unless the magic resistance is powerful, then half instead, or that they have to make a Wisdom save to receive full healing and otherwise receive only half.
>>
>>47203176
When making your character, consider what type of magic they would be working most with. They have Resistance to the appropriate damage type (IE Force for raw arcane energy, Necrotic for necromantic, Radiant for divine, etc). This represents the specialized physiology your makers granted you.

Perhaps have a once-per-day neutralization of damage from that energy type, if you want to get particularly specialized with them.
>>
I accidently fucked up as DM in Out of the Abyss by letting the party fight 6 Giant Spiders at level 2. They all survived it but 3 guys are at 0hp and the rest as like, 2hp. Should i let them have a free long rest without the persuer stuff?
>>
>>47203354
I'd say yes, though I have a tendency to let my players off easy.
Also, how many of them are there?
>>
>>47203341
Race: (Ishii)
+2 Con
Hardened to Magic (The reduced spell damage/healing feature)
Living Construct (As Warforged)
Sub 1: (Kurrok)
+1 Int
Size small, move 25
Cast Identify as ritual 1/SoLR
1 Artisan Tool Proficiency
Sub 2: (Mekka)
+1 Str
Proficiency in Intimidate
+1 AC when Wearing Armor.
>>
>>47201396
>What is your favorite setting?
Home brew is best brew.

>Which setting do you most want to see released in official materials?
Maybe Spelljammer so people might shut the fuck up about it? Birthright, perhaps? I won't use it, but like to see my elegant gentlemanly friends happy.
>>
>>47203331
>Nigger are you fucking seriously trying to imply that a minmaxed cleric outputs more damage than a minmaxed fighter?
Different guys, anon, the cleric guy was making a cleric able to hold himself in melee not to outclass a fighter, follow the conversation chain. 4chan is more than one guy.
>>
>>47203426
5 charaters, a bard with no spells, heal cleric who has 2 level 1 spells left, fighter, barbarian and a ranger. They survived by calling in one of the NPCs for help
>>
>>47203354
No. What good are mistakes if we don't learn from them. They should be happy they made it to level 2.
>>
>>47203033
Check out the core races who actually get something related to saving throws. They only gain advantage, and only on certain saves. Dwarves have advantage on Con saves against poison. Gnomes have advantage on mental saves against magic. Halflings can reroll natural 1s in everything, including saves. But pay attention that those are all small races, with the detriments that being small has.
>>
>>47203457
Assuming Hardened isn't too powerful, that's perfectly fine.
If you want advantage on all magic saving throws, I'd say that at the very least comes at the cost of having to make saves against ALL magic, friendly or non. Given that they're constructs, they might be unalterable, but not be able to be healed by magic, either.
>>
Are we just going to ignore the elephant in the room that is casters are superior to martials?
>>
>>47203544
They could simply face the possibility that the drow find them- but suspect their fellow party members are hopelessly dead due to the spiders around.
If they could be reasonably convinced the group was all killed, they might turn back and report as much, hoping that if any of them survived, they would kill their masters as per drow perpetual backstabbery.
>>
>>47203193
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/pub

Dead link, but this is what you're referencing, right?

>>47203594
I tried to make it in line with a friend's preexisting homebrew from late 2e/early 3.5e days. Maybe I'll just ban players from picking it.
>>
>>47203671
It's close enough (and probably more accurate).
As a general rule, if they qualify as 'superior precursors', they're probably not appropriate as a PC class.
>>
>>47203515
I'm pretty sure the cleric guy said he could outdamage rogues, monks and barbarians.
>>
>>47199495
>For me it depends on how badly he fails it, failing badly enough breaks the mechanism and makes it unopenable except by breaking
>Critical Fail skill checks
>an expert locksmith (with a +17 to lockpick checks) ruins the entire locking mechanism once every 20 attempts
Okay
>>
>replying to previous threads
>ever
>>
>>47203749
That's why you play a halfling to make it only once every 400 attempts.
>>
>>47203749
You wouldn't roll unless there's a chance of failure though. If there's no penalty for failing the check then don't roll. Also bear in mind that a 1 isn't an automatic failure.
>>
>>47203749
Should have mentioned this only happens when in combat or other stressful time-sensitive scenario
>>
>>47203807
>b& for calling someone a n word
>people had wrong opinions
What do you expect me to do, anon, my hands were tied.

better keep this post on topic lest i feel the wrath of the banhammer again - manacles can be broken by any commoner with one minute to spare
>>
>>47203725
He said he could outdamage rogues
>Who deal 10d6+2d6+5
>Average 47
monks
>4d10+20
>Average 41
And SOME (he used the word some) Barbarians, mainly SnB and TWF ones. 2hd ones he even said that dealt more, but not much more (57 calculated by other dude I think)

>Inb4 Monk spending 5 ki per turn
Sure, and for 4 turns you deal more damage, and then you can't do shit. Of course the cleric could also use an AoE and deal more than the monk to more targets but that wasn't what they were talking.

I still think Rogue can do more, just make an AT and use Sneak Attack AND GFM (though I know lots of GMs don't allow this).
>>
>>47203893
>GFM
Kek, I meant Green Flame Blade, or better Booming Blade and then cunning action to disengange and move to bait him into taking more damage.
>>
>>47203622
>If you want advantage on all magic saving throws
Oh, I'm not that guy.

I thought about the can't-be-healed, must-be-repaired thing, but it seemed too 3.PF. I also had considered an armor/tool/weapon meld comparable to Keith Baker's 'forged, but it was another thing was more flavorful than functional or balanced.

I think I'll phrase the feature this way:
> Hardened to Magic
> Your body is engineered to resist titanic magical stress, for better or for worse. Whenever you would take damage or regain HP as the result of the effects of a spell, make a Constitution saving throw: on a success, reduce the amount of HP lost or gained by half.
>>
>>47203749
Here's my answer-as-a-question to a lot of these questions about critical success/failure:
>Is it dramatically appropriate?
>Does it add anything to the situation?
>Does it raise tension in a situation where tension is lacking?
>Does it change the power dynamics of a situation?
In my experience, the DM acts sort of like an author for the Player Characters' novel.
Which means that he's got to put them through the wringer every so often- they don't always succeed, things go wrong, relationships between them and the NPCs can sour or develop.
But they can also get a stroke of curious luck, assisted by a friend they helped out or a fellow they spared, and they can have moments of incredible glory.
So sometimes, when you need to get into the corrupt baron's stronghold and the guards are closing in on you, when the rogue rolls a 1, the lock-picking tools snap and the lock is unopenable. Now they have to figure out a way to fix the lock as the hounds close in on them, or find another way in entirely.
If you're just cranking out locks at your shitty-ass job as a locksmith, it doesn't affect the story or the game whether you botch one out of twenty or one out of fifty locks, so there's no need to bother with critical success or failure.
The manacle problem holds here, too. The whole point of making it a DC 20 break is so that when the barbarian goes into a rage in front of the cruel overlord holding him in chains, he can break his bonds and immediately start beating motherfuckers with other motherfuckers.
If there's one thing that's hurt roleplaying games the most (especially D&D), it's assuming the setting is there to fit the mechanics and not the other way around. I'm not saying re-homebrew everything to taste, just understand why the mechanics are the way they are.
>>
File: I have some concerns.png (79KB, 457x472px) Image search: [Google]
I have some concerns.png
79KB, 457x472px
>early level group
>manage to kill nerfed archdevil
>one of the players carves a mask out of it's skull
>expresses excitement to use it as flavor for multiclassing to warlock
>DM shuts him down
>player shrugs, accepts it
>we all think he's gonna get warlock-esque powers or something the DM is working on
>next quest we have we stumble into the archdevil's level of hell
>kill him for real this time
>go home
>get a handful of gems between us from the trip
>the player with the mask gets nothing
>he seems a little deflated but says nothing
I feel like the DM missed a chance here, but the guy got a whole quest centered around him
Still can't help but feel a little bad for him having his hopes dashed
I dunno though, what do you guys think?
>>
>>47203965
yeah, the DM fucked up. that skull mask thing was a cool idea.
>>
>>47203965
>Player wants to multiclass
>GM shuts him down
Strike 1
>>
File: Sharn 05 (sky piracy).jpg (108KB, 668x600px) Image search: [Google]
Sharn 05 (sky piracy).jpg
108KB, 668x600px
>>47201414
>>47201483
I'm pretty sure they're making Eberron now, very slowly. It was one of the first UAs they made, and they recently slipped an Eberron option into the Gothic Horror UA (the inquisitive).

How do you think they should handle Eberron, given it's based around the 3e magic item shop that was removed in 5e? Aside from artificers and inquisitives, what options do you think there should be?
>>
>>47203893
>>47203952
>AT and use Sneak Attack AND GFB (though I know lots of GMs don't allow this).
For what purpose. That strictly contradicts the rules of the game. In the future I'm asking my GMs before the game begins if they will rule this and if they do and they don't back down after being shown the relevant clauses from the manuals and the explicit ruling from mercer/crawford, I will decline to join.

Also:
>AT
Why not play a high elf (racial cantrip GFB) assassin for auto crits = double SA dice, double weapon dice, double GFB dice?
>>
>>47203965
The DM gets no points for being a tease. The player came up with a cool plot thread; he shouldn't go home empty-handed.
>>
>>47204016
I mean, the inquisitive got it's first mention in the SCAG appendices. If they're actively working on Eberron at all, they've been playing the long game.
>>
>>47203965
>manage to kill nerfed archdevil
>one of the players carves a mask out of it's skull

>kill devil
>keep skull

>kill devil (on prime material plane)
>the skull and corpse remain on the prime material plane

anon...
>>
>>47204016
>How do you think they should handle Eberron, given it's based around the 3e magic item shop that was removed in 5e?
5e can handle giving everyone a decent number of magic items fine. Attunement stops a lot of things from being abused and having extra utility stuff is a good.

Besides, Eberron tends to go for pulpy, action-hero campaigns, so making characters more heroic, even through equipment, is a good thing.
>>
>>47203965
I would have made the mask a minor beneficial magic item (something like 1 extra pact magic slot at lv1 in exchange for a hit die once per short rest) with a curse that only comes in when in that circle of hell

Then turned it into a major magic item (1 extra full pact magic slot)
>>
>>47204025
>For what purpose. That strictly contradicts the rules of the game
Yep, and I still found quite a few GMs that ban that combo because it goes against """"RAI""""
>>
>>47203893
>>47204158
>>47204025
>running an AT and using SA+GFB goes against the rules
wait, what?
I've been using exactly that for this entire campaign, whenever something manages to force it's way into melee range with me/I need to go into melee for some reason or another.
>>
>>47203997
>>47204015
>>47204031
>>47204105
He kept the mask and since we're switching to 5e now he's going to take the magic initiate feat so he can get himself some warlock spells without having to multiclass and thus circumvent the DM but I have no idea how he's gonna take it, as a threat to his authority or something
We all talked about it later and the DM basically said that he should be happy he had a whole quest centered around him, the player never brought it up again but I took issue with it if I'm honest
>>47204098
I'm not entirely sure how these things work, I'm still reading up the lore on monsters like that I really love the dragon stuff, I want to have a full conversation with one But the GM has specifically said he thinks a world is boring if it has "too much lore" so he's never defined anything about the world except a map of the country and the names of the cities
>>
>>47204207
It doesn't go against the rules, anon, just that some GMs think it goes against RAI (I found some that think it goes against RAW also, even when you point them the rules)
>>
>>47203657
Yes we are, because no they aren't, not in any way that anybody actually cares about for purposes other than trolling d&d threads

>>47204098
Wouldn't that depend on how the devil in question got to the Prime Material? A summoned creature disappears when dispatched, but one that arrive via interplanar travel (gate, portal, vortex, what-have-you) may be considered permanently and properly present.
>>
>>47204224
Get a new DM
>>
>>47204207
That reading comprehension thooooo
mad skills desu senpai

to answer your question, SA+GFB does not contradict the rules. furthermore AT is not the only method to SA+GFB
>>
>>47204277
>That reading comprehension
uh? I'm not quite sure what I'm missing.

>spoiler
I'm aware it's not.
I just wanted to make one, and GFB was a nice little bonus.
>>
>>47204271
Oh, get a new DM? Just get a new DM? Why don't I strap on my new DM helmet and squeeze down into a new DM cannon and fire off into new DM land, where new DMs grow on little new DMies?!
>>
>>47204224
>a world is boring if it has "too much lore"
A game session is boring if it has too much DM exposition about his special snowflake setting, true, but ideally the DM has a reasonably-strong idea of how his own setting works and is prepared to, when appropriate, clue players in on things they would reasonably be expected to know.

No, the gods most typically worshipped by civilized folk in this area don't have drug-fuelled orgies in the streets every Thursday; that's only for high holy days. Everybody would know that.

As for what happens when a devil is killed, that's something the DM should know ahead of time if he intends to have devils in the setting. Apparently their bodies stay around, though that may not be common knowledge, depending on how common combat with devils is.
>>
>>47201417

This.

I so badly want to run a Space Opera Fantasy game, taking liberally from Spelljammer. Get really gonzo with it, channeling 80s action cartoons.
>>
>>47204372
I'm not clear on why folks are so hopped up to get official reworks of their old favorite material when it's so simple to shoehorn old stuff into the current system.
>>
>>47204271
We're thinking a coup, the paladin player has some good ideas and a whole world's worth of ideas
>>47204362
Problem is, he won't even stick to the map. He'll often give us quests starting in some other land that we have no idea how we got there or why we're there, and more often than not he doesn't finish a quest if it takes more than one session as he loses interest
>>
>>47204240
>Yes we are, because no they aren't, not in any way that anybody actually cares about for purposes other than trolling d&d threads
I'm glad you responded, anon, because I have developed a first-draft solution to the problem.

...would anon care to hear it?
>>
>>47204400
Spelljammer is plagued with a great deal of minutae like much of AD&D, and a great deal of things that seem to just be anti-fun. The nature of the Phlogiston and serious gimping of spellcasters. It's total shit that sitting in a Helm totally makes you incapable of casting spells for 24 hours, or that as a priest if your god isn't known to a crystal sphere you can't regain spells. Both Spelljammer and Planescape suffer from this dumb gimping.
>>
>>47204509
>>47204404
That sounds pretty bad. Of course, if you can expect this behavior from him, you can ride it out better. It's apparently a situation where the how-you-got-there isn't important, just how you're going to deal with the situation at hand in one sitting. If things are purely episodic, even when the adventure isn't wrapped up at the end of play, you can go balls-out about using all your resources. Fifteen minutes before everybody's got to leave? Don't leave any spell-slots unspent, actions un-surged, potions un-drank, whatevs. Flaky DM doesn't know or care how many arrows you have left, so fuck it!

It may not be how you'd prefer for things to go, but it's not necessarily horrible. Gotta calibrate your expecations.

>>47204429
Nope.

>>47204509
Maybe you should talk to >>47204429 a bit about those poor spellcasters. He's probably happy to fill out a hundred posts or so worth of cyclical bitter argument about it.
>>
File: memes.png (66KB, 661x716px) Image search: [Google]
memes.png
66KB, 661x716px
>>
>>47204240
>>47204429
>>47204683
>Nope.
Fuck you, I'm posting it and I know you're going to read it, you little bitch:

How to fix the superiority of casters over martials discrepancy:

Simple: Nerf casters' physical stats with a 16 soft cap.

>Fluff justification?
Arcane study/divine worship/nature attunement consume too much time to justify the level of physical training required to surpass 16dex/str/con

>What about multiclassing martial and caster class?
Caster ASIs cannot be used to increase any physical ability score either by 2 or above 16 and can't be used to take a martial-related feat.

>what about rolled stats? a character can have 4-6 18s meaning that their rolls would be invalid
Well... don't roll for stats, scrub (mostly kidding). Although if you're rolling for stats, then it's likely that you are of the ilk that cares more about roleplaying than rollplaying; in that case, your group shouldn't care about caster superiority. Still, there should be a solution for this case; the case that must be used as an example is the extreme case of 6 18s.

So, a player rolls 6 18s for his ability scores. Got any thoughts on how to solve this, /tg/?

What do you think? As I said, this is a preliminary draw.
>>
>>47204733
if rolling for stats, reroll the 4th through 6th rolls above 14.
>>
>>47204733
How does this fix anything? Casters don't NEED high physical stats to do caster bullshit.
>>
>>47204240
it wouldn't be a successful troll if people were apathetic about it anon.
>>
File: 5e_MM_Troll.png (564KB, 896x699px) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Troll.png
564KB, 896x699px
What's all this speak of a TROLL in our midst? Fetch the crier; we need to arm our people with acid vials, witch's fire, and torches! Fetch the wizard while you're at it, too. No troll is going to take my town...
>>
>>47204733
Fixes nothing. Casters can still cast their spells with all the important features preserved, and are still better than martials you nerd.
Also
>Fighter 1, Wiz 19
Goodbye caps, just in time for 9th level spells.
>>
>>47204888
Gimme them vials, I have tavern brawler
>>
>>47204718
Oh god yes.
>>
>>47204718
You beautiful bastard

Thank you
>>
What's a good scale for a world map ?
>>
>>47204923
>I can't read
Try again, retard
>>
What features would one need to change if they wanted to run a game where characters and creatures die when they reach 0 hit points?
>>
>>47204718
This is great, thank you.
>>
File: 40015.jpg (18KB, 552x464px) Image search: [Google]
40015.jpg
18KB, 552x464px
>>47204718
>>
>>47205027
>reading all that gay bullshit
Nah fampai. You do it for me ;^)
>>
>>47205032
Remove death saves. Done.
>>
File: 1412297471193.jpg (46KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1412297471193.jpg
46KB, 480x480px
>>47204944
>battlemaster 5 with tavern brawler
>weapon and empty hand
>run up to enemy, use trip attack while hitting them with fist to grapple
>use disarming attack with weapon
>drag them out of sight to finish them off
>don't forget to remember the basics of CQC
>>
>>47205081
lol'd

>>47204718
am still loling
>>
>>47205032
Anything to do with incapacitated inconscious, it's a lot of shit

Beastmasters would need yet another fucking buff, for one
>>
>>47205032
Remove death saves
Make the spell Kill (let bosses and sub bosses have it)
>>
>>47204733
I don't think anyone was complaining that casters have too much dex. That just seems like a needless restriction that doesn't really change anything. If you're really butthurt about casters just ban the melee cantrips from that Sword Coast book, but you're basically just trying to fix something that's already fine
>>
>>47205082
Thats literally my next character
>>
>>47205115
limited dex means limited AC/acrobatics/melee attack hits
limited con means limited HP
limited str means limited athletics/melee attack hits

all this also imposes weaker saving throws

and barring them from physical feats means that they can't be a wiz20 with all the versatility granted by full spellcasting and also get the (limited) versatility that martials have access to via feats.
>>
>>47204683
>Maybe you should talk to >>47204429 a bit about those poor spellcasters.

Rather not. I just don't see how making a game that takes away the fun tools a player has is any good at all?
>>
>>47204888
The Scro rig Trolls into their Lifejammer Helms.
>>
Anyone have Strahd's crest?

And a good recommendation for digital maps of the castle? Trying to play Curse of Strahd on Roll20 but damned if they aren't making it difficult with those retarded isometric maps for some reason.
>>
>>47205289
I know, I usually get the maps and put them them out in 36/48 engineering prints, but these are really making it hard
>>
>>47205289
>>47205444
I'm with you guys. Drawing rectangles is nearly impossible.
>>
File: Seriously nigga.jpg (45KB, 349x300px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously nigga.jpg
45KB, 349x300px
>>47205480
>>
>>47205480
yeah well when you're autistic I guess going from the awesome mike schley maps to angular barren lifeless grids is probably an upgrade for you.
>>
>>47205736
Seriously, though: what do you people who make this kind of complaint do when there's a situation that arises in play that doesn't have a corresponding published map? I'm a straight up "theater of the mind" guy who scribbles stuff on scratch paper when there's something that actually needs clarifying, so I don't have a strong point of reference for your plight.
>>
>>47205815
Did you miss the part where I said I was playing on Roll20?

The top down maps are like half the fun. There's a lot of combat when you get to Castle Ravenloft, I like having the movement and range rules apply to stuff, and it's difficult to do without an actual board to play on.

And barring that, it still doesn't make any goddamn sense where they have maps for the church and taverns and burgomasters mansion where just about nothing happens, but they don't have a map for the castle? The only place you really need it? Its inconsistent.
>>
>>47205815
I have a dry-erase battle mat in case of whatever, but everyone in the group really enjous the printed maps
Plus I like to really get the whole inmersion thing going, ambient sounds, slightly dark room, voices, the whole bit
>>
File: 1456866197344.jpg (166KB, 736x963px) Image search: [Google]
1456866197344.jpg
166KB, 736x963px
We get one free uncommon item to start out game, is Adamantine Armor worth the pick?

Going GWM Pally, so i'd like to grab some armor to start off.
>>
>>47205996
try a ring of respec and switch to a casting class
>>
>>47205996
adamantine just gives you crit immunity, right?

is mithral plate uncommon? I'd get that instead

I'd have to look but I don't think there is any too great weapons in the uncommon range. Maybe something like winged boots?

>>47206028
pally is a caster ya dingus
>>
>>47204718
Kek
>>
>>47206028
Paladins are fine in 5e.
>>
>>47206028
>Go Wizard
Original.

>>47206049
Yeah just Crit immunity, Mithril is what I was looking at also. Seems as though I could have Mithril armor reinforced at a later date anyway.

The only GW available as Uncommon is a +1 weap. Which isn't bad, but that's the only option I believe.
>>
>>47206028
>Pallys are bad in 5E
wew
>>
>>47206076
well you can do better than a +1 weap, if your DM allows your uncommon armor to be plate I'd say you HAVE to do it since plate costs so fucking much
>>
>>47206104
Yeah, going by the DMG tables full plate costs more than an uncommon item and by a significant margin.
>>
>>47206104
>>47206205
Right on, I figured as much. I'll probably go Mithril armor to be honest, no disadvantage on checks is nice, and I assume i'll be able to have it reinforced with Adamantite later down the line anyway.
>>
>>47205956
You're playing on roll20, yes. I saw that. What do you do when your players do something you don't have a published map handy for? Do you just Rule Zero them into compliance and force them to go where you have shiny pretty stuff? I have no objection to top-down maps, I just strongly suspect you already have a solution to your problem.

>>47205963
Do you use the battle-mat for minis and the printed stuff in the book for reference, or are you going whole-hog and printing up poster-sized full-color glossies of those nice maps? Because I imagine that would be cool (though expensive).

It's specifically because of the clear disparity between "what I made up on the fly" quality and "stuff I spent hours of preptime on" and "some professional with actual artistic talent made money producing it" materials that I only volunteer to show my players stuff I'm drawing right in front of them. That way they can tell themselves that the impromptu encounter (combat or otherwise) is something I was actually thoroughly prepared for even when I'm mostly winging it in response to unforeseen shit that happened at the table. They don't get the swizzy full-color map, but they get to feel like they're in a more thoroughly-designed scenario than I actually designed.
>>
>>47204016
Well, first they need to make the artificer not awful.
>>
So this is my concept for a charcter

>Revenant Human
>Haunted One
>Druid
>Circle of Deathbloom

This is for Curse of Stradh. I'm having some issues with the Deathbloom class though. The wild shape changes aren't explained enough.

Is the concept good though? Will it fit the scenario?
>>
>>47206535
Absolute trash.
>>
>>47206582
How so?
>>
File: 20160511_195852.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160511_195852.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>47206259
I usually custom-order minis from heroforge and print the maps in large format (pic related, death house next weekend) but only for dungeons, towns and such get printed in letter size so the designated leader can carry it around and study it (always have a map salesman in town)

Also I cover unexplored areas with black construction paper

For homebrew I just get large papers and draw it myself, but always beforehand. I like to be 100% prepared for any eventuality
>>
>>47206589
>I usually custom-order minis from heroforge

For just PCs, right?
>>
>>47206638
Of course not monsters or npcs, but anything important enough to warrant a mini gets one

Like strahd
>>
>>47206710
jeez man, even the cheapest shittiest option they have is like $15 + $5 shipping
>>
>>47206727
I like to make the game special for people, and it's usually less than 100 bucks, that's pretty good for a few months' worth of good fun with friends
>>
Currently on phone and away from my manuals, can someone remindme ways to increase initiative roll? I don't remember the wording of expertise for example, could it work?
>>
>>47201853
>female

that guy
>>
>>47207024
Nope. Initiative is a flat Dexterity check. Bards and 7th level Champions gain a bonus of half their proficiency to that, and Swashbucklers gain a bonus equal to their charisma modifier.
>>
>>47207024
>>47207125
There's also a feat, Alert, that gives you a +5 bonus to initiative.
>>
File: kamenthrottle.gif (2MB, 226x150px) Image search: [Google]
kamenthrottle.gif
2MB, 226x150px
>>47205082
>tfw I started playing this as a Dwarven luchador and ended up as Solid McClane starring in Home Alone 7: Under Siege
>>
>>47206076
>>47206049
>>47205996
Where are you goofballs finding material rules
Our group wound up with a hunk of darksteel and had it forged into a shield for Fighter #2 but no one could find 5E deets on what the fuck darksteel does if it's a sword/armor/shield/whatever.
>>
>>47202803
>It sounds like the green text story about the luchador
post it
>>
File: I69beX1.jpg (166KB, 909x835px) Image search: [Google]
I69beX1.jpg
166KB, 909x835px
>>47207302
>>
>>47207239
That sounds like homebrew famalam. If the DM aint tellin you then you probably aint supposed to know
>>
>>47207360
He didn't know either. Everyone was looking for what the various alloys and materials do when forged into certain objects, since past editions had charts of the shit. Presumably all those metals are still around, but how they function in a system where +1 bonuses are taboo is a mystery.

>>47207336
I see nothing wrong here
>>
>>47207402
It's probably in some obscure corner of the dmg, tried doing a search on the pdf?

And yeah, there is nothing wrong with that story, just a bunch of badwrongfun people that complain for the same reasons as always
>>
I'm burnt out on 5e D&D. What's another system that is easy to teach to a full group that has never played another RPG that they might have fun with?
>>
Are there any video games that I can play that match the feel of D&D? I'm burnt on on creating characters and having no games to implement them in.
>>
>>47207482
13th Age
>>
>>47206840
wish you were my DM

>>47207125
>>47207145
>20 dex 20 cha swashbuckler with alert

>>47207490
Really my dude?

there's nothing for 5e but there is a shit ton of games for other editions
>>
>>47207490
Divinity: Original Sin for new games

You have played all the old games right?
>>
>>47207517
>>47207509
>Really my dude?
>there's nothing for 5e but there is a shit ton of games for other editions
I've never played a D&D videogame before. I only played console games until a few years ago.
>>
>>47207552
Ever hear of baldur's gate, icewind dale, neverwinter nights etc?

the KOTORs are also pretty much mechanically D&D albeit in star wars setting

also pillars of eternity is a D&D esque RPG, except it uses autismo sawyerino's shitty mechanics
>>
>>47207552
Oh wow.

If you have any PC play these games

>Planescape Torment
>Baldurs Gate
>Neverwinter Nights (1 not 2)
>Icewind Dale
>>
>>47204733
I propose a simpler solution. Increase proficiency bonus for Martials to 10, along with difficulty for combat and non combat encounters a tad bit.

Martials get to shine as bigger than life heroes and casters have to rely more on spells to not suck. Without nerfing anybody.
>>
>>47207509
>20 dex 20 cha swashbuckler with alert
What I was thinking about too. With 2 levels of Bard you could have +18 to your initiative at high levels. 19 initiative even on a natural 1? Damn.
>>
>>47207610
I don't dislike the idea, but it would completely mess up multiclass characters proficiency. Also, as it is, proficiency is pretty much the same related to both levels and CR. Just to give you some perspective, even CR 30 monsters have only 9 as their proficiency bonus, and we're talking about Tarrasque and Tiamat levels here.
>>
I'm in a game and I need a ruling. I'm arguing with the dm about wildshape. I wildshaped into an ape and I want to fling my shit at an enemy. I told him it should count as a ranged attack and just use the ''throw rock'' action. He's telling me otherwise. Advice?
>>
>>47207803
Throw a rock at him

Then throw shit at him

Ask him if it hurts the same
>>
>>47205172
>I literally have no idea what makes spellcasters so good, here's my fix for them...
>>
>>47207848
I don't think it's about making spellcasters worse, it's about making martials better at not letting the casters utilize the new martial abilities.
>>
>>47207848
original poster of the fix here
see >>47207865 this post, he got the idea
>>
>>47207803
What?

First off, are you just taking a shit as an ape in combat right there, then immediately throwing it? Can you shit in wild shape? Wouldn't you shit a normal, human sized shit assuming you a. had food to shit and b. you could even do something like that while in a different form

second, why?

third, do you really think having shit thrown at you would be the same as getting a fucking giant rock thrown at you?

fourth, don't be that guy, nobody thinks "lol i'm going to throw my poop XD" is funny in the slightest
>>
>>47207928
>fourth, don't be that guy, nobody thinks "lol i'm going to throw my poop XD" is funny in the slightest
hey, fuck you, i keked.
>>
>>47207928
>Not throwing shit at Stradh

Fucking

P L E B
L
E
B
>>
>>47207966
Fucking christ, I lost.
>>
Do any gods show up at the end of Rise of Tiamat besides Tiamat? I'm playing a cleric of the Red Knight, what are the chances she sends someone to give me thanks for stopping the evil dragon goddess? Will I get anything?
>>
>>47207803
You need to stand up and leave
>>
>>47208007
Up to your DM. But first, you have to actually stop her... good luck on that.

>>47207966
Now that, is why we play this game.
>>
>>47207980
>Not having a bard to write down your stories on how you defeated gods by throwing shit at them

Jesus am I the only one that can play DnD properly?
>>
>>47207895
As one of the martials-get-their-thunder-stolen guys, I don't think the solution lies in capping caster abilities or giving new features to martial classes.

If a Wizard has 20 Strength, let him lift impressive weights and all that comes with it. But if the Fighter has 20 Strength, let him lift even more somehow. This doesn't need to be quantified, we don't have to say that all martials have what is essentially the Bearbarian 2x lifting totem (or that a martial that does have it finds no benefit now).

Because the root of the problem is that martials are entirely bound by their mechanics; the amount of weight that a given Strength lets you lift, the amount of hardship that a given Constitution lets you endure, the amount of ground you can cover with a given Dexterity; the extent to which you can succeed at skill checks for primarily physical actions; the ways items operate. They have to play by all of these rules, but so does every caster. That also means that if a caster winds up with identical scores or skills or gear, there is nothing left purely to the martial but for his combat-oriented class features.

There is no way the martial can solve a diplomatic problem, puzzle, or escape some tricky situation in a way that a caster with the same knowledge, experience, and physicality couldn't, and none of those traits require you to be a martial. If the martial's solution was to think back on his Knightly training, or the wisdom of his mountain tribe, there is nothing to say that a Cleric or Paladin or Warlock could not have had the same training. But the caster can solve all of those problems in a variety of magical ways, and the martical can't ever touch that since they don't know magic. Even if you allow a martial to replicate a spell--say, the caster Charms the noble to get out of trouble, and you let the martial make a Charisma check or something to do the same--the caster can also use that solution without having to cast in the first place.
>>
>>47208227
It seems ridiculous that you'd say, "No, caster, you CAN'T roll Charisma to Charm this enemy while the martial can, because you have magic," but that's exactly what you have to wind up doing if you want to fix this disparity. And we can talk about how unfair it would be to let a Barbarian with 20 Strength bend the bars of a cage but not let the Warlock with 20 Strength do it, but that's what needs to happen. We need to say that there's some intrinsic superheroism to just these martial classes which the casters cannot get near; the fact that they are magically empowered in some way has drained them of this talent or otherwise filled the hole where the martial develops it.

You can rationalize a number of ways. For instance, in the same way that a blind man's other senses heighten to pick up the slack, why can't a martial's physical ability swell to compensate for their dearth of magical talent? Or instead, perhaps the martials are in fact magic, but it's a different sort of "body" meta-magic that the casters can't tap, akin to a psionic discipline but not obviously psionic; a monk has this built-in as ki, so perhaps all the other martials also have a unique energy force they have honed and can channel to perform stupendous feats the casters cannot touch.

And it's not to make a situation where only a martial can succeed, or to do something that magic cannot. We draw this "casters can't use it" distinction so that they don't get all the new benefits this provides on top of their existing magic. That Warlock could find other means of bending the bars, through spells or a demonic surge of power or something, but it would not be a purely physical feat gained by virtue of also having 20 Strength. We maintain a tiny stable of things that martials can do out of combat that are actually awesome, but casters cannot without actually burning resources in a way that their spells support.
>>
>>47207798
This is why you "increase difficulty a tad bit" aka bump monster proficiency. I'd also change expertise to "rolls under x are treated as x".

As fer multi class, didn't think of it as no one MCs at my table. But I'd rule that you progress at the lower prof rate.
>>
>>47208227
>>47208244
Make a list of Battle Maneuver's. More than 100 of them. Assign each maneuver to all the classes it would be appropriate for. Give martials maneuver slots that can be changed out on levelup/long rest/whatever. Give all martials superiority dice.

How has this not been thought of before? Why didn't WotC do this in the first place?

Why is the Grappler feat so fucking useless?

Can a mage hand legerdemain drop a bag of daggers onto a creature?
>>
>>47208227
Different outcomes for the same score in a skill check is pants on head.
>>
>>47208364
They did, see Play test "martial dice". Shit was so sweet it gave grognards diabetes.
>>
>>47208244
You're missing the real tradeoff with spells which is their limited function and their restricted use. The Magic-user CAN get to roll for charm where no one else can, but they must use up a limited resource on it which could easily fail. Not only that, but the spell might create some negative drawbacks the wizard was not intending for, such as (And this actually happened to me in real life I wish it hadn't) the wizard forgetting the charm person spell wears off and the target completely remembers the effects and that he was charmed by magic. Or a fireball catching more than just enemies in the blast.

Meanwhile, the barbarian and fighter can use their 20 strength ALL DAY to break down doors, hold open gates, bend bars, jump, etc. It's true a Warlock with 20 strength could do that as well, but the warlock has other trade offs, such as the lack of decent armor, or (unless they go pact of the blade) sorely limited weapon usage.
>>
How do I explain the difference between a dex save and acrobatics skill check? A player keeps complaning that he doesn't get to apply acrobatics whenever I call for a dex save.
>>
>>47208628
A boxer would have a high dex because he can duck and weave but he would not have a high acrobatics because it's fucking acrobatics.
>>
Hey. For those guys who play 5e online. Which site is best? Like roll20 or fantasy grounds or any other one that's good?
>>
>>47208654

I tried explaining that dex save is somewhat of a subconcious reaction, and acrobatics is planned activity and balance, and that sort of thing but somehow that fails to register.
>>
>>47208679
If he doesn't understand that use a food analogy

>Sausage 1 has high dex so he moves around once it starts frying
>Sausage 2 has high acrobatics so he jumps out of the pan
>>
>>47208628
Acrobatics is an active skill that required training for him to utilize and is separate from the save mechanic.

Saves are a passive resistance to something bad happening to you and a dex save in particular is about speed as opposed to tumbling and flipping. No amount of acrobatics training makes you fast, that's just a side effect of being dexterous.

>>47208679

Oh, well thanks, Auto-update.

If that's the case, then emphasize that Dex = Speed, but Acrobats = Flexibility and tricks rather than dodging.
>>
>>47208674
Roll20 is good. Fantasy Grounds is okay too, but Roll20 is free and has a huge amount of 5e players.
>>
Hey /5eg/, I just bought PHB/DMG/MM.

I've got some new players (never played an RPG before) and I'm starting them off at level 1.

So far, I have an Aarakocra Rogue, a Halfling (Lightfoot) Sorcerer, and a Half-Elf Ranger.

I'm thinking about printing out Hoard of the Dragon Queen and running it for them.

Any advice? I've played Pathfinder before, GM'd some Dark Heresy, but this is gonna be something new.
>>
>>47208674
I know the main coder behind Fantasy Grounds and he is getting around to updating it all and adding more 5e stuff to do it along with Call of Cthulu
>>
>>47208744
>Aarakocra Rogue
my nigga. tell that kid to take mobile at level 4.
>>
>>47203354
Cut some slack but let them know that they won't get this luck again.
>>
>>47208744
>Any advice?
Don't run Hoard of the Dragon Queen. It's a dogshit adventure. Literally any of the other released ones, including the Starter Set, are better by a huge margin.

There's also no point in printing out dozens or hundreds of pages. Just get a PDF of them, they're all in the Mega.
>>
>>47208744
Run Ravenloft you fucking pleb.
>>
>>47208674
As someone who's played with Fantasy Grounds, I would stay away from it to be honest. It's a FUCKING HASSLE to use, and it's only benefit is being super automated on everything, but its honestly no improvement over just opening up a notepad file and taking notes. It's also a LOT of work to set up and crazy expensive. It's more meant for crazy rich assholes who have too much free time and money, and also happened to all live in different parts of the world even though they're all real-life best friends.
>>
>>47208712

That's interesting. I'll try that.

>>47208714

Yeah, that might work.
>>
File: wallhaven-339565.jpg (676KB, 2254x1500px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-339565.jpg
676KB, 2254x1500px
This is an odd question and I might get banned from the board for asking it but I have to because I'm drawing a blank.
I'm using 5e D&D rules but adding a modern twist to it and i'm having trouble thinking of damage calculations for Firearms and Explosives.
Things like:
Handguns
Rifles
Shotguns
Sniper Rifles
and Grenades
I don't intend to allow anything stronger than a normal Rifle but I might throw my players a bone if one of them is a Ranger type person.
>>
>>47208803
>>47208790

Guess I'll run Ravenloft.
>>
>>47208856

>in the 2200's, people still use PMAGs
>>
>>47208744
>Any advice?
I would tell you to run Lost Mines of Phandelver, but the LMoP almost REQUIRES you to play with the premade characters because a lot of elements are tied in with the character backgrounds. I found out that our DM had to do a LOT of DM Fiating behind the scenes because we came with custom characters.

Running Hoarde is specifically kind of hard because the first 5 or so episodes are NOT designed very well. The first one and third episodes have a VERY high fatality rate, and 2 & 4 drag on waaaay too long.

If you're going to run something, I'd suggest skipping Hoard and running Princes of the Apocolypse first. Out of the Abyss is fun, but it's more hardcore than other adventures and relies on expert players, and Ravenloft is very VERY horror thick and that's a hard thing to learn to DM well as you have to track a LOT of NPC interactions while also keeping things deadly for the players, so its hard for the DM.

If you HAVE to run Hoard, as in you already promised and its too late to back out now, it's not a complete waste, but you should tell all your players that they HAVE to write their characters to be as goody-twoshoes as possible without being fucking retarded, otherwise the adventure WILL fall apart within the first 6 chapters. It's actually REALLY fun if you can get past those, though.
>>
>>47208856
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Weapons

ctrl + f firearms
>>
>>47208628
How about you give him a situation where he can use his acrobatic skill so he can see the difference himself and actually get to use the skill.
>>
>>47208901
You're a god send you are.
>>47208884
Just uploaded a picture, wasn't pertinent to the setting.
>>
>>47208744
Oh, shit, something I forgot to mention on this post: >>47208888

Another thing you could consider doing is running the adventure league modules. They're literally made to baby hold your hand through the adventures, but come with a difficulty scale, they're pretty cheap legally and easy to find "ill"egally, and best of all, they're modular, meaning that if you get three adventures in, and they don't like it, you can always just drop that shit or even find a new group.

The only bad thing is the quality is VERY hit or miss. Some of them are the best modules I've run in a long time. Some of them are so catastrophic though that just running them almost sullied my DM honor.

Fuck you 1-6 Drums in the Marsh.
>>
>>47208875
Good on you. It's the best adventure so far imo.
>>
File: UA modern.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA modern.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>47208856
Knock yourself out
>>
>>47208774

She actually just sent me a picture of one of her drawings of it.

She based it off of her actual cockatiel.
>>
>>47209155
Which archetype?
>>
Would it be unreasonable to ban magic classes if my players refuse to read the 5 pages that cover magic in the PHB?
>>
>>47209182
Thief. Urchin background, too.
>>
>>47209261
No
>>
>>47209261
Not really. I'd just fucking read it out loud if it keeps coming up, but meh
>>
>>47209261
Not in the slightest.

Alternative: Run INCREDIBLY strict magic rules, and then don't ever let them do a take-backsy. If they say "My character would know!" then you respond with "You're just doing a very excellent roleplay of someone who graduated by cheating the magic exams and not paying attention in class!"
>>
>>47203893
>Rogues, Monks, and some Barbarians
If you hit. If that cleric cared about actually dealing damage, it'd be dealing 34.5 average damage and still actually deal less damage than rogues, monks, and barbarians.
>>
>>47209261
My players did the same thing and would do shit like roll to hit with butning hands

I told them to read how it worked and explained at first but afterwards I just told them their spells failed any time they would do something like that

Until the sorcerer cast a fireball that would hit the whole party
>>
>>47201788
GOOD NEWS!

That got officially released by wizards for free a few weeks ago. Google it.
>>
>>47209626
I'm aware. It's still my favourite.
>>
So as cool as this is, when is the Wizard Hammer Coming?

http://www.orcpub.com/
>>
>>47209719
When it gets finished
>>
>>47209750
Why would they wait?
>>
>>47209780
Banter
>>
>>47209807
Like internal or with Orcpub?
>>
>>47209891
Just banter
>>
>>47208417
People keep saying this, but where can I find any of the playtest stuff?
>>
>>47209155
The Aarakorca with the Half-Elf.
>>
>>47209919

Her legs are stubby.
>>
>>47209919
Surprise!

>>47209926
Hmm, I guess so.
>>
File: 1375070301982.jpg (38KB, 460x468px) Image search: [Google]
1375070301982.jpg
38KB, 460x468px
Anyone have any tips on handling player owned land? My players became lords and were gifted a plot with a manor on it. Don't know how long building things should take or how much gold it should cost, or even if I should give them things to use for resources like mining on it besides just peasant farming.
>>
>>47210074
If you didn't know how to handle owning land, why'd you give some to your players?
>>
>>47210165
They expressed interest in wanting to start their own town, sorry for asking for help m8
>>
guys what are some good monk multiclasses for each archetype? shadow monk and rogue obviously. what goes well with way of the open hand? can anything redeem elemental monks?
>>
So how what would be a good campaign to run for younger players? I want to run for my 11 year old brother and some of his friends.
> Also D&D for youngins stories
>>
>>47210074
Look in the DMG, under Downtime Activities. There's plenty of examples there, just maybe have it take a bit less time. Page 128.
>>
>wizards destroying my internet connection with summoned thunderstorms

>>47208244
This isn't even unprecedented as far as D&D goes, at least as intent goes. There's a popular belief that D&D is based on high fantasy, like Lord of the Rings or some shit, but the original influences were much more pulp and sword-and-sorcerery: Conan. Barsoom. Jorian. Zothique. Elric. Nohwen. Sword and sandal, almost in some cases. These are some of the stories explicitly called out in D&D manuals, saying, "If you're not down with this shit, you probably won't enjoy D&D." And it was very much true in a system where your caster (sorry, MAGIC USER) got buttfucked ten ways to Sunday while the martial was building a goddamn empire by virtue of him being good with swords in a way that the caster just wasn't allowed to touch. the cleric could, though

It's really all on the DMs to enable and allow the kind of amazing feats that fill those old stories. Magic users there were a rarity, obscenely powerful, not the kind of thing you say happens to one in 100,000 but nevertheless is represented two or three times in every bumbling adventuring party. And these amazing casters, for all their cosmic power, still needed--not wanted, not were hoping to make something merely easier, but actually needed--a ripped beefcake to perform certain tasks, because it simply never arose that there was normal sorcerer born of man who could pump weights enough or cast a spell to swell his muscles. Their magic was also far more limited, but that is also true of high fantasy, like LotR, where Gandalf isn't running around flying, teleporting, creating illusions, throwing fireballs, or turning his party invisible; he casts Thunderwave a few times and that's about it. and he's still good at swords
>>
>>47210347
So let your martials do this shit. Don't pour through the DMG or PHB until you find a sentence that shows they could never jump this cliff because their move speed is only X, or they could never lift that portcullis because their Strength only hoists Y pounds, or the HP and hardness of their steel sword could never overcome the DR of that stone wall. And when the caster wants to do the same shit because he's got identical scores and identical gear, you just say, "No, this is the bone we throw the martials outside of fights, and you don't get to chew on it."

The books already allow for these things, suggesting that the DM should let you roll Athletics or something to jump further than your basic distance, but again, those are all rules that are equally applicable to the caster, so there is nothing spectacular about a Fighter doing this when the Cleric and Paladin are almost assuredly just as adept, or the random ranging of a d20 could make even a frail Wizard succeed. Handle that however you want; martials getting an invisible bonus, or having a clearly superior outcome for the same roll, or simply not letting casters make the attempt in the first place for particularly daring exploits (you can both jump 15 feet, you can both roll to jump 30 feet, but only the Barbarian gets to roll to attempt a 45 foot jump because deal with it). Limit them to X uses to simulate the resource that casters have to expend, whatever.

I mean, unless you're allergic to having fun or something.
>>
How do I DMPC effectively?

>inb4 by not doing it
>>
>>47210490
dont let them hog/steal the spotlight, make them friendly and supportive
>>
>>47210490
I've done it before when we our group only had 3 players while I was searching for more people. Honestly wasn't that hard as long as you don't make yourself super over powered or hog the spotlight. Mine was just a knight of order investigating mishaps with the party.
>>
>>47210490
The DMPC exists to aid the party in a capacity they lack. If they're all a bunch of retarded meatheads or forgetful wizards, the NPC might be the logistics guy, or have some specialized knowledge about the region or parts of the upcoming quest that are helpful (say, they are a historian, in a campaign where you are searching for ancient ruins).

It does not participate in combat and is not a consummate badass that saves them; rather, the party must occasionally save them (if they care about the fucker). Ideally, you should be playing them as little as possible. Think of them as less of a DMPC and more like a DMnPC.
>>
>>47210490
-let your players make the decisions

-don't hog the spotlight

-take a support role, or one that fills a gap the party NEEDS (this isn't 4e so this shouldn't even be an issue)

-give him/her/it a personality

-let him/her/it be wrong
>>
Is there any way for a drow to be able to use a Sunsword effectively?
>>
>>47210652
Reincarnate as a hobgoblin.
>>
>>47210743

Could a Drow use a sun blade if he cast Darkness on the blade?
>>
>Party member one is a GWF Bladelock that immediately casts darkness
>Party member two is a Divination Wizard only rocking save-or-sucks and random healing
>Party member three is a GWF Vengadin that purposefully got himself killed until the Dark Powers gave him Blindsense 30'

This seems hilariously fun for adventure league
>>
>>47203331
>Also, fucking christ, it's this guy again.

The question was asked, and I answered. You don't have to read it.

>>47202803
>No way you should have been able to kill that Dragon.

See, you say that, but I did, albeit barely. I don't need a DM on my side, I just need high modifiers to relevant abilities, and good rolls, and for the dragon to get poor rolls.

Y'all are just jealous.
>>
>>47208244
>You can rationalize a number of ways. For instance, in the same way that a blind man's other senses heighten to pick up the slack, why can't a martial's physical ability swell to compensate for their dearth of magical talent? Or instead, perhaps the martials are in fact magic, but it's a different sort of "body" meta-magic that the casters can't tap, akin to a psionic discipline but not obviously psionic; a monk has this built-in as ki, so perhaps all the other martials also have a unique energy force they have honed and can channel to perform stupendous feats the casters cannot touch.

This is exactly the mentality that more RPG fans need to embrace. All the extraordinary things that people do without "arcane magic" or "divine magic?" That is spiritual magic, the psuedo-magical fabric of the universe being concentrated in the spirit of one extraordinary individual. That which bends normal reality in subtle ways is the power of one's spirit making its will manifest.
>>
File: Martial Powers.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Martial Powers.pdf
1B, 486x500px
People seemed to like the Martial Dice system I had in the Martial Options thing, so out of boredom I cleaned it up as its own stand-alone thing and threw it up on DMs Guild as "Martial Powers." I simplified all the individual powers (like getting rid of the weird dependence on dice rolls for durations) and changed out the dice in favor of a simple points system.

It's just a little subsystem that gives martials a bit more out-of-combat utility (and a bit more in-combat utility/power).
>>
>>47211938
Thanks senpai, I'll give it the once-over.
>>
>>47211938
It's great. Only wish there was some feel of progression with the abilities, and some combat abilities would be nice as well.
>>
>>47210490

I'm DMPCing for my small group. I made the character mute and loyal. He's a fighter who exists shields the weaker party members, and does whatever they tell him to.
>>
>>47211938

I like all of them except Break Language Barrier. The other ones are things I can see happening in an over-the-top, superheroic fantasy, which is great. This one just seems kind of boring and not particularly useful—I'd let players get the gist of a language that shares a script with theirs with a DC 20 Int check, and let them take 20 if they work at it for a while.

To make it a little more Conan-ish, I'd change it to:

Break Language Barrier (1).

When you encounter a creature that is capable of language, but with whom you do not share a language, you can spend one Martial Power Point as an action to make yourself understood through gestures and intonation. If the creature is willing to communicate with you, you can understand its attempts to communicate. Complex specifics are outside the scope of this communication, but general ideas like "danger that way", "I need food and will give you gold for it", and "big treasure in cave twenty miles north" are possible.
>>
>>47210490

Have everyone roll a die, highest roll gets to run the NPC for the night. Also make the NPC significantly less powerful than the PCs, but not to the point of being useless.
>>
>>47212535
That sounds stupid. Why would you have one player control multiple characters and why on earth would you switch the controller around?
>>
>>47212296
>Only wish there was some feel of progression with the abilities
That's the biggest problem I ran into going over it. The only way I could see getting around this is having not just a progression of points but a progression of powers available.

Maybe something like "When you gain an additional Martial Power Point, you also learn one Martial Power of your choice. When you learn a new Martial Power, you can also switch one Martial Power you previously learned for another you have not."? That would give a full martial half of all the current Powers by 20th level.
>>
>>47207024
Ambuscade Ranger
>>
>>47207928
Yep, a 10000ton rock is the same as a peeble if you're a player, 1d4
>>
>>47212664

That used to be the default way of playing D&D, anon. I'd rather have players control more than one character than have a DMPC, because they'll have a greater sense of ownership and accomplishment when they achieve things in game. And I rotate ownership of NPCs to make it more fair to everyone, while still keeping the total number of NPCs low.
>>
>>47208744
protip: you don't need the DMG or the MM.

If you're uncreative as shit they could be handy, but I literally haven't touched my DMG since I got it.

Go grab a PDF of the MM from the OP's link, look up monsters in it occasionally for inspo.

You do need a PHB though, i'd call it essential.
>>
>Pally lock multiclass
>lock spell slots can be used for pally spells (smites), recharge on short rests
>lock gives cantrips, more spell choice
>go pact of chain for a pseudodragon that gives you magic resistance/ free advantage/more damage/ a potential stun/ recon/scouting/ cute (imp is fantastic too)
>eldritch blast for reliable solid ranged damage without needing a xbow or javs

I'm gonna go oath of vengence + fiend patron I think, this paladin is gonna be nukey as shit.

what you boys think? how could I RP this? I was thinking the traditional prettyboy paladin except vain, arrogant, power hungry and prideful as fuck
>>
Making a cult of blood demon worshippers.

I'm going to change the spells from the Drow Mage, Drow Priestess stuff. Anyone got any suggestions for shit that is blood themed?

Any cool things I could do in the encounter?
>>
>>47214052
if shit is looking bad for the cult, have the mage/priestes sodoku and summon a shadow drider or some shit

maybe spells that boil a character's blood, lots of drain life/leech life esque stuff
>>
Thinking of asking my DM to make it so my Deathbloom Druid can wild shape into Plant type creatures. Following the same CR level as Moon druids for plants but follow the same CR level of progression from the Land druid for normal creatures.
>>
>>47214006
>You do need a PHB though, i'd call it essential.
The pdf PHB is well bookmarked, so it's probably faster to look things up on your phone/laptop/tablet than the actual book.
>>
>>47214074

Good idea thanks my man
>>
So unearthed arcana is just going to be an advertisement for the DMsguild now?
>>
>>47214227
I know most of my GMs hate homebrew but because of UA they are allowing more homebrew because it has "official support"
>>
Is there a high-res map of Neverwinter anywhere?
>>
File: Faerun_map.jpg (2MB, 4000x2878px) Image search: [Google]
Faerun_map.jpg
2MB, 4000x2878px
>>47214626
Took 10 seconds of googling. Is this what you are looking for?
>>
>>47214139
While that's true, having a book at the table makes it easier for players to look up rules or to show them the correct ruling.
I also don't like having the DM or players with a laptop/phone/tablet constantly open, it tends to split their attention too much.
>>
>>47214776

That is not Neverwinter, that's Faerun. Next time, read.
>>
>>47214776
Neverwinter, the city. Like this: http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/p581848124/h12947418#h12947418
>>
>>47208744
yes, run a module
BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOT DRAGON QUEEN
>>
>>47211938
The wording of Soft Landing is slightly confusing, because it doesn't spell out exactly what happens if you spend multiple power points.

The only things it feels like it's missing are something for swimming, and something for lifting or throwing things. Since those would probably be tied to athletics, it might be best if a couple of the abilities currently tied to both acrobatics and athletics were acrobatics only, so that both skills feel distinct. Also, if imbue weapon worked on your fists it would throw a bone to people who want to punch things without being a monk. Otherwise it all looks fine.
>>
>>47214043
probably will have to work with the GM on this one because it's pretty awkward fluff-wise.

Maybe he's the first paladin of a new order, dedicated to your Patron which is on its way to godhood.

Or maybe he's a local hero believing he's destined for more. He's heard stories of Paladins and always wanted to be a righteous warrior of legend. Patron seduces him with power but leans on him to make questionable choices, always in the name of the "greater good" of course.

Either way you'd need GM approval I think, because this doesn't really cover paladin/martial training and such. I do like unconventional characters though
>>
Question about grappling. Is the grapple-ees hand or hands occupied by being grappled? All I can find is that the grappler needs to have a hand free to start a grapple but nothing really encouraging the person being grappled to play along.

So, from what I'm reading, there's nothing stopping the guy being grappled from just pulling out his greatsword and full attacking the person he's being grappled by or casting a spell that requires both hands (a focus and somatic components).

Am I missing a tidbit or eratta somewhere, it seems thematically weird. I guess I can understand not wanting to go back to the previous method of "if hulk hogan has you in a headlock you may as well just die now because you're not doing anything for 23 rounds as he slowly chokes you to death"
>>
>>47209919
This is cute.
>>
What would be the best way to play a character based off Hildred Castaigne (from Repairer of Reputations in The King in Yellow)? I'd suppose a Tome Warlock with the Noble background maybe?
>>
>>47205996
Weapon of Warning is pretty strong, it doesn't give +1 attack/damage but you are never surprised and have advantage on initiative rolls. Lots of utility and good for combat.
>>
>>47207024
Weapon of Warning, it's an uncommon magic item. Advantage on initiative rolls.
>>
Gonna be playing a cleric in my next campaign. What are the best domains? Life just seems like the best healer type cleric
>>
so im dming (first timer) a LMoP campaign and the players just beat (pronounced annihilated) glasstaff. I assume they are going to want to sell his staff of defense. How much do you think that they should be able to get for it?
>>
>>47217088
What do you want to do?

Life is all about healing, yes. I'm personally a fan of light, tempest, and war (because Spirit Guardians is fucking fun).
>>
I'm new to D&D.

Is there a class for being a sword mage where your spells are all focused on damage dealing?
Swinging a sword in one hand and a fireball in the other.
>>
>>47217418
Bladesinger in the Swordcoast book is probably the closest to what you want.
>>
>>47217418
Ranger and Paladin use magic and weapons, but unfortunately not like that. They just use their magic to make their weapons better.

Stuff like that will require multiclassing or some smart choices. You could go Pact of the Blade Warlock, grabbing some big weapon to use, along with solid spell casting, you just won't be beefy like how the Martials usually are.

Just think of it as a scale, with weapon damage and magic on one side and magic damage on the other. One can be really good but the other is weaker, and vice versa. This can be countered by multiclassing though. You can take a level in wizard and then a level in fighter, being a Wizard 1/Fighter 2, but it takes more time to get the really cool stuff both those classes have.
>>
File: 1249970562731.jpg (14KB, 459x314px) Image search: [Google]
1249970562731.jpg
14KB, 459x314px
Give me ideas for a Warlock patron /5eg/!
>>
File: 1434227049383.jpg (161KB, 500x697px) Image search: [Google]
1434227049383.jpg
161KB, 500x697px
I made a sorcerer archetype: celestial lineage.

Now it is the first homebrew class i made and want brutal opinions about it.

I like to keep it close to angelic creatures and raw energies from the heavens. Tried to leave the gods (divine) out of it.

http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/Bk0owEzz
>>
>>47217541
> proofreading
Jesus.
>>
>>47211938
Beautiful.
>>
How do we make Warlock worth taking past a dip? To 20, not that anyone gets there?
>>
>>47217609
that bad huh?
>>
>>47217541
Congratulations: this is the first time I've seen a homebrew class or archetype that I'd call underpowered for what it is.

> L1
Advantage on a check for which you already have proficiency is only OK. I'd probably recommend letting the player choose Advantage if proficient or Proficiency if not ChaMod times/LR.

> L6
Resistance is OK, but not much you'll be fighting is gonna be dealing radiant damage if you're playing up the whole Angelic Scion thing. Converting 1/2 spell damage to radiant is alright, I suppose.

> L14
A d4 extra damage for 2sp is way, way, way too little. I'd honestly make this part of the 6th level feature in place of the 1/2 radiant thing, and maybe move that here.

> L18
Limiting this per-rest AND giving it a cost of 6 fucking SP is overkill. I'm assuming it's a per-rest limit, because you don't actually specify.

As >>47217609 said, proofread your shit.
>>
>>47210373
>you don't get to chew on it
>deal with it
>this is having fun...
>>
>>47217530
Cthulhu has always been my go to.

You could do others, though. Baron Samedi, voodo death god. Loki, norse trickster god.
>>
>>47217859
Sounds like stuff the martials get told imo
>>
>>47217824
>>47217609
cool thanks, and yeah. I cant really write.
>>
>>47217485
>>47217454
Thanks for the advice.
Having had a quick look at them, it looks like Multiclassing is my best option for what I'm thinking of for my character.
>>
>>47217986
... I'm confused, why wouldn't Eldritch Knight work?

Just pick evocations for everything.
>>
>>47217754
It already is..?

Warlock being a popular dip class doesn't mean it doesn't get anything past level 3. It's just that most of what it gets before level 3 is really, really nice for multiclassing.
>>
File: yFgCfFYjers.jpg (193KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
yFgCfFYjers.jpg
193KB, 751x1063px
>>47217418
Fighter 1/Warlock (Blade Pact) X

>pic related
>>
>>47217418
All the classes have combat and noncombat spells, if they get spells at all. It's up to you to pick what spells make the most sense for your character.

That being said, bladelock is the best fightermagic guy class. You're reasonably competent at both hitting things and burning things with spells.

>>47217530
Voodoo loa
Witchcraft coven (I've done a homebrew of this myself)
Various gods (contrast a cleric, who gains power from belief, with a warlock, who gains power through a bargain)
Patron of various elemental forces, such as a patron of fire, or a patron of water, etc. If undying light can do it, so can the elements
Patron of a high level wizard (or other high level magical force that isn't necessarily divine/demonic/etc. Think a high level planescape character takes an interest in your character).
Patron that represents a divine royal lineage, that your warlock bargains for power from.
>>
>>47217530
http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/vestiges
They're like Great Old Ones, but have personality (which is foisted upon you).
>>
>>47217754
I think it's generally worth it, but if you wanted to entice people more, adding in some high level invocations that are actually good would be great.

Giving the warlock more ability to cast level one spells at will through high levels would be neato.
>>
>>47216066
>Is the grapple-ees hand or hands occupied by being grappled? All I can find is that the grappler needs to have a hand free to start a grapple but nothing really encouraging the person being grappled to play along.
It's assumed the arm is taken up by holding the creature still.
>So, from what I'm reading, there's nothing stopping the guy being grappled from just pulling out his greatsword and full attacking the person he's being grappled by or casting a spell that requires both hands (a focus and somatic components).
You are correct. Grappling only reduces the creature's speed to 0. Most creatures will respond by simply killing you like they were trying to do at the start.
>>
>>47218375
Wait, I read that first question wrong. No, the target still has free use of their arms. Grappling only does what it says it does in conditions
>>
>>47216066
Grappling is generally followed up or preceeded by knocking an enemy prone. Once they're down, they can't get back up until they break the grapple, since standing requires half your movement and they have zero movement. In this situation, a prone and grappled target has disadvantage to hit everyone, so the grappler needn't fear their attacks. A feat like Mage Slayer also limits grappled casters' ability to shake off their grappler, since the grappler has: an opportunity attack when a spell is cast nearby, imposes disadvantage on the caster's concentration, and has advantage against any spell cast nearby. They don't really have an answer for a caster teleporting away, but them's the breaks. Savvy grapplers facing spellcasters will normally pull this trick while in a Silence AoE (or drag the caster into one), forcing the caster to sit in a spot where they can't do anything, on their ass while everyone sticks swords into them.

There is also the possibility that a DM will favor the grappler by letting them pull strange moves like pinning particular limbs, or grinding the target's face into the dirt so they can't speak well, in lieu of an attack, which might force a check to begin to cast in the first place. There aren't any hard and fast rules for this, though.
>>
>>47218469
>Savvy grapplers facing spellcasters will normally pull this trick while in a Silence AoE (or drag the caster into one)
Or the grappler is a spellcaster themselves and just counterspells them. Weird how the most effective grapplers are casters.
>>
>>47218518
Why would that be weird? Casters make the most effective everything.
>>
>>47217378
Honestly I want to be a healer who can hold his own in melee while helping the party. I know that's a lot to ask for. Any suggestions?
>>
>>47218555
fighters are the most effective damage dealers this time around at least
>>
>>47218518
Other than bards all casters are meh to awful grapplers

The best grapplers are fighters with a level of rogue for expertise

Then bards, but all the other full casters are meh
>>
>>47218558
>i know that's a lot to ask for
Not at all. That's what clerics do.

Go dorf for a Warhammer and extra con, choose a domain with heavy armor proficiency, and go nuts.
>>
>>47218558
Take any cleric domain that gives you heavy armor proficiency and you should be done. Life, Nature (for some weird reason), Tempest, War. Then you just gotta choose which one you like the most.
>>
Next adventure module
>>47218675
>>47218675
>>47218675
>>
>>47218558
All healers in 5e can hold their own
Paladins, clerics, rangers and bards are all good in combat
>>
>>47218650
>>47218670
Thanks. War and tempest really sound like what I want to do. Though life's extra heals are still nice.
>>
>>47217530
A fragment of madness from before existence
>>
>>47219050

Like the shard of evil that created the Abyss in 4e cosmology?
>>
>>47219032
I guess it's a case of which you want to do better. War and Life can both fight on the front lines well and heal well (they're both clerics after all), but War does combat a little better while Life does healing a little better.

I personally prefer Life, but it's up to you.
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.