[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are wizards the worst characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (14KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 225x225px
Why are wizards the worst characters?
>>
>>47165850
Because you touch yourself at night
>>
>>47165850
>Why are wizards the worst characters?

Behold, the refuge of the uncreative mind! If anon can't come up with a way to make his wizard interesting, he can just call them the worst kind of characters and expect you, /tg/, to come up with reasons why that just isn't true.
>>
File: Martials vs Boss Monsters.jpg (15KB, 341x231px) Image search: [Google]
Martials vs Boss Monsters.jpg
15KB, 341x231px
>>47165850
Because an angry bro-dude with a sword makes a pretty lame campaign villain in a world where demons and dragons exist.
>>
File: 6ed.gif (675KB, 283x230px) Image search: [Google]
6ed.gif
675KB, 283x230px
Because you're a fag OP.
>>
Because wizards care more about their 200 spells and how to organize their entire arsenal along three pages of inventory space staples to the character sheet. While they're doing this for 60% of the session the other characters are actually roleplaying.
>>
File: 3rd party content.png (433KB, 386x494px) Image search: [Google]
3rd party content.png
433KB, 386x494px
>>47166095
Have you tried not playing DnD?

Hell, even 3.PF is a thousand times with any magic system besides the default one...
>>
>>47166126
I was talking about GURPS.
>>
>>47166030
No so lame if the bro-dude with a sword commands an army that will fuck you up. And that army has wizards in it.
>>
>>47165850
Because when you can do everything, there's no real point to your character.
>>
File: Originul Villain Donut Steal.jpg (44KB, 800x552px) Image search: [Google]
Originul Villain Donut Steal.jpg
44KB, 800x552px
>>47166139
>>
>>47166160
Yeah, I hate Clerics too.
>>
File: PCs discuss plans.jpg (60KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
PCs discuss plans.jpg
60KB, 637x476px
>>47166160
>Not making the wizard specialize and stick to a single school of magic
>Not making the wizard an apprentice-level Harry-Potter-Tier noob
>Not cutting the spell list off after level 4, maybe level 5 spells
>Not knowing how to balance fucking anything because "WAHH THE RULES ARE BROKEN SO THE GAME SUCKS BEYOND BEING PLAYABLE! I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO ACTUALLY BE A GAME MASTER AND MAKE RULINGS ON THINGS!"
>>
File: soulcatcher.jpg (64KB, 575x763px) Image search: [Google]
soulcatcher.jpg
64KB, 575x763px
>>47165850

A teenager at the most selfish and thoughtless stage of his development suddenly gains godlike powers and no one around him is strong or knowledgeable enough to teach him how to use them responsibly.

Instant Hitler.
>>
Imagine someone taking a superhero from the silver age of comics and throwing him into the Protestant reformation. That's basically what wizards are.
>>
>>47166292
Except that Hitler was a martial with everything pumped into charisma.
>>
>>47166717
and he wasn't instant form.
>>
>>47166717
>Except that Hitler was a martial

if you believe the official accounts
>>
>>47166717
Are Bards considered Martial or a Caster Class?
>>
>>47166717
Please, Hitler was an NPC class.
>>
>>47166260
This 110%

Imposing no limitations on Casters is like letting someone play a DBZ character then complaining monks are overpowered. Sure, the rules won't let you do that, but if they did it'd be easy as fuck to just claim Rule #1 as the GM and put some reasonable restrictions in place.
>>
>>47166911
Firstly caster, but you can build them to be more martial-ish
>>
>>47166135
Because GURPS Magic is fucking bonkers.

There is a reason I use the symbol based one, and a super heavily modified verbal one based off of how Ars Magica organized their magic. Divine magic is good though.
>>
I sense a butthurt martial!
>>
>>47165850
Is it because of the "all wizards are randumb sociopaths" meme, because I'm slightly tired of it at this point.
>>
>>47165850
Because your playing the wrong system.
protip, it's not a system designed by WoTC nor Paizo.
>>
>>47166292
That's sorcerers, not wizards
>>
File: 1462538586558.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1462538586558.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>47165850
>>
File: 1368062901751.jpg (36KB, 994x504px) Image search: [Google]
1368062901751.jpg
36KB, 994x504px
>>47166030
>using a sword and complaining about attack radius
>when you could wield any number of polearms or even a fucking bow instead
>>
>>47166260
Game balance is the game designer's job, not the GMs.

If I buy a multiplayer video game, I shouldn't need to mod it or create a custom server to make it playable. That's what the developer is for. If they failed, then they're a bad developer.

Games are games - the same logic applies to RPGs and board games.
>>
>>47165850
Is it because it is difficult to role play high Int characters? You either spam the game with Knowledge checks making the DM say something that many already know on a meta level, or you have to assume that whatever you say is correct because you are smart, grinding all party discourse to a halt. You could be smart and quiet, but then you just never say much and it feels like you aren't there. You can't love your spells to much cause then the game becomes you hording spellbook time. Plus many players who play wizard take way too long with their turns. At low levels you are a leech on the party, and at high levels you are either overpowered or tapped out for the day and want your nap.

Shit, i need low level dnd 5e advice. Also an elf, and i can only seem to roleplay that as gay.
>>
>>47165850
No real flavor or theme. Wizards, at least in the D&D sense, are something that really ought to be multiple different classes. The necromancer with the army of undead, the beguiling enchantress, the pyromancer leaving fields of scorched earth in his wake. The Wizard takes all of these distinct, interesting concepts and rolls them together into a single class.

It'd be like rolling all the martial character concepts into one class, we'll call it "Badass", who can wear all armor, use all weapons, fight without weapons, rage, track, sneak attack, find traps, build traps, move super fast, pick favored enemies, and get a shitton of skill points while having a d12 hit die. It'd be relatively overpowered, sure, but the bigger problem is it'd be boring. There's no central theme; it's just a bunch of completely unrelated superpowers all thrown together in a bucket.

That's why you rarely see do-everything "wizards" of the D&D sort outside of tabletop and videogames, and when they do exist, they're usually gods/divine beings (Merlin, Gandalf, etc).
>>
>>47166135
Isn't the default magic in GURPS just skills like everything else?
>>
>>47165850
If you kill yourself, you win
>>
Wizards in general are fine with rules and constraints in place, and as long as they're physically emaciated. Muscle wizards on the other hand are pants on head retarded. There is no reason a character should have mastery of both magic and heavy weapons, and all the people who try to build these characters are generally cancer incarnate.
>>
>>47165850
That's no truenamer, OP.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.