[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ 5th Edition D&D - Advanced Spellsharing Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 23

File: 5eg.jpg (23KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
5eg.jpg
23KB, 217x208px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>New-ish official PDF
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

So you're running a Wizardly cabal, with the understanding that members will assist in teaching each others' apprentices a solid foundation in the fundamentals of the craft. What spells would be included in the typical curriculum up to and including, say, 3rd level spells? Bear in mind that the cabal isn't necessarily interested in blowing everything up.
>>
>>47118459
so some guy made a bunch of 3d print models for minis and put them up on blender

http://www.coveragemail.com/technology/fan-creates-printable-3d-models-for-dungeons-dragons-miniatures/
>>
The official meme of this thread is:
dragonborn are a meme race
>>
All of the basic utilities: mage hand, prestidigitation, mend
A couple of simple offensive spells: fire bolt, magic missile
Some countermeasures to the above: shield, mage armour

Apart from that, probably depends on the exact school (fnar fnar) of magic being learned but most likely the basic spells from each.
>>
>>47118486
They don't look too bad, but a lot of people like to use their imagination instead.
>>
>>47118519
Hmm. The problem with the "basic utilities" list is that you only get so many cantrips. Your selection of other spells suggests that the cabal wants to train its members in combat effectiveness, but leaving no room for bottomless basic offense.

I'd lean towards the following as "everybody is encouraged to learn these and the spells are made freely/cheaply available to members":

0: Prestidigitation (wiggle room for other personal preferences)
1: Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Identify, Illusory Script
2: Continual Flame, Nystul's Magic Aura
3: Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Magic Circle

The idea here being that it's an array of potentially-commercially-useful spells (stuff you could make a living casting for pay) that wouldn't directly lend itself to building a reputation for the cabal as a bunch of dangerous pyromaniacs. Reasonably-useful combat spells would probably be available, but more along the lines of an extracurricular specialization for adventuring members.
>>
How do you deal with genre savvy players?
>>
>>47118901
Expect them to not be metagaming shits.
>>
>DM says I have to speak in riddles or rhymes if I decide to make a Bard
i may not play the flute or the bass
but i will break my foot up your ass
>>
>>47119022
>bass
>ass
You do realize the instrument is pronounced base, right? Or are you saying you don't play a fish?
Either way, that's some shenanigans your DM is pulling.
>>
>>47118901
I enjoy their company,
>>
>>47118901
Subvert the genre.
>>
What would the best way to make a wizard based off of Frank Reynolds be?
>>
>>47119248
Give him a toe knife as a melee weapon, plenty of enchantment/illusion spells, and have wealth and hedonism be the soul focus for the character.

When he gets serious don't forget to bust out... THE WARTHOG.
>>
UA WHEN
>>
My players are about to head into the final epic confrontation. I want to give them some powerup/bonus to make them stronger than they were in the previous fight but I don't want to have them level up.

Any thoughts, friendos?
>>
>>47119022
First time I played a bard, the DM let me upgrade my bardic inspiration die if I made up a rhyme to go with it
>>
Why is so hard to make a hero in this games? we try to be heroic, for our actions to match our words and we end looking like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Next time I'll roll an average Joe who talks in monosyllables and maybes.
>>
>>47119427
What level are they?

The DMG has some power-ups that aren't tied to level called supernatural gifts.
>>
>>47119875
Level 14. The main reason I don't want to give them another level is that they're all multiclassed 11/3, and levels 12 and 4 are usually underwhelming.
I'll check out the supernatural gifts (thanks!), but let me know if you have any other ideas.
>>
>>47119434
>rewarding role playing instead of just letting the numbers decide.

Does your DM reward the barbarian in game for moving his fridge out of it?
>>
>>47119427
Fade-to-black time skipping.
>>
I asked this in a previous thread but it went 404 before I could read the replies.

If I want to roll a stoneforge mystic in 5e what should I roll?, Kor race of course.
>>
>>47115539
Small lies don't work. They're able to identify that the voice in their head is someone magically messing with them regardless of what I open with, and they're free to ignore it. If the voice becomes sufficiently annoying they'll know to get a Remove Curse and just do that. That's how my DM runs it.

That's why the only use I can think of for it is basically being a one way walkie-talkie with one of my team mates, which is pretty underwhelming for a 14th level feature.
>>
>>47120080
Nothing really fits, maybe artificer wizard, but you'll suck at your job and it wont be really a stoneforge mystic who also are supposed to be badass in combat
>>
>>47120116
I use it to mess with people and distract them, stuff like saying penis penis penis multiple times while hiden in the crowd when the bbeg is saying his speed, you know, stuff that makes people unconfortable, like telling a joke in an inopportune moment
>Two guards talking
>"Dude, my dad died"
>*tell joke so the other guard laughs*
>Fight between both start

Walkie talkie is the most obvious use but if your GM is cool and you're imaginative you can do a lot of stuff
>>
>>47118901
Either continue as normal, or metagame harder than them.
>>
>>47120116
Not the dude you are replying to, but you are talking about GOO warlock level 14 ability right?
That ability charms whomever you cast it on, giving you advantage on all social rolls with the target, as well as the target being unable to target or attack you. Also, they consider you a dear friend, if I remember right. Combined with your Warlocks probably MASSIVE Charisma modifier, you should be able to talk them into almost damn near anything that isn't outright lethal. If you GM is basically saying he is ignoring you, that is bullshit, because to the target you are practically the voice of his magical fairy godmother angel god speaking to him, or the friendliest wizard ever! That ability is literally cuckoo mind control horror movie tier.
>>
>>47120116
chat with your DM about it and ask him for some kind of compromise so your ability isn't useless. Awakened Mind and other features like Charm Person are always vague enough that the DM has a lot of leeway.
>>
>>47120080
Blade pact warlock. Draw whatever weapon you need out of the stone.
>>
>>47120204
The odds that I'd have that particular guard "enthralled" are pretty low though, aren't they?

>47120227
>Also, they consider you a dear friend, if I remember right.
They don't, that's part of the problem. It's not like Charm Person where they are charmed and while charmed, regard you as a friend. It's just charmed. So as soon as they hear a strange voice in their head that they have no reason to trust they know there's a problem.

>>47120228
I'll talk to him about it again next time I see him, but last time we talked about this particular ability his stance was that it was extremely limited by design. He's said more than once that he believes the charmed condition is useless but he's not interested in changing it.
>>
>>47120397
Oh, I thought you were talking about the 3rd level feature of GOOs. Silly me, disregard my post.
>>
>Shitty kits that no one would play in unearthed arcanas for 4 months
Then
>No new content for 2 months

All of a sudden, vampires, goblins, kor, merfolk, new elf variants for fuck knows what reason, and some new monsters too.

So much of the funding goes to MTG that even when the MTG guys get drunk and play DND in their spare time, more content comes out than from the DND team.

Fuck sake, Wizards.
>>
>>47120397
>They don't, that's part of the problem. It's not like Charm Person where they are charmed and while charmed, regard you as a friend. It's just charmed. So as soon as they hear a strange voice in their head that they have no reason to trust they know there's a problem.

I see, but still, it should be a very seductive/alluring voice. Advantage on all social checks is a powerful thing, and it isn't like they can plug their ears or something. Hell considering you hostile while being charmed by you is ridiculous.
>>
Thoughts on multi-phase boss fights? I used one in our final session and I think the players only survived because they shut down the first phase entirely.
>>
>>47120397
Your DM is definitely playing it wrong IMO.

Anyways: find a religious man. Make him your thrall. Pretend to be God. That solves the friendship issue.
>>
>>47120932
Can be fun if you set it up well.

It's kind of shit if you just have a determined progression of stages determined by hitpoint loss though.

Because then it's really just fighting 4 shit bosses without a rest between.
>>
>>47120932
I agree with >>47120984
Ran one myself a bit back, a possessed necromancer. As soon as they disturbed the ritual the necromancer was running, the spirit appeared, a ghost, and it summoned shadows to attack. It went well, but do to some low rolls it could have very easily gone TPK, since I dragged the fight out too long. Still, my group loved it, and the suspense made it all the better that they won. In the future I need to be a lot more careful with them though IMO
>>
>>47120932
I'm not a fan of most of them. Don't do silly things like power levels. Make the different phases make sense.

Say the boss uses a force field. The players do enough damage to break it, so he changes his tactics to be more hit and run, and starts hiding in the environment. That's okay.

Don't be the guy who does anime power up bullshit. Bleach is bad mmkay?
>>
>>47121071
It was basically a bloke trying to bend nature to his will. Killing (the bit the players kinda cheesed) him caused his body to mutate into some horrific plant/animal hybrid thingy. This fucked shit up. After taking down this the parts of the remains containing his mangled body rose up and attacked, spewing bugs everywhere. It was basically what >>47120984 as bad :/

The players seemed to enjoy it though so that's all good I guess.
>>
File: 1455597330505.jpg (112KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1455597330505.jpg
112KB, 640x360px
I am now building a keep, what would be some gnarly and radical things to put in there?
>>
>>47121167
if they enjoyed it, great! Don't let my disparaging remarks get in the way of your game.

To lay my cards on the table, the last time I had used a similar scenario was early on in 4th edition d&D when the monsters had massively inflated hp.

It let to a slow, bloated fight that while in narrative terms did a lot, and was memeroable, it was more memorable as "Holy shit why won't it just die" rather than "WOW! I hope this happens with another boss!".

Obviously your mileage may vary.
>>
>>47121258
A harem, a great library, a personal smith, a wizard's laboratory, a shrine to whatever gods you follow, some pets, a wife and children .
>>
>>47121264
It probably helped that I am shit at balancing and accidentally gave them some OP shit.
Though two bursts of 4d10 all around evened that out a bit.

They then spent a good few minutes fucking with reality and flailing about in the dark, spewing water everywhere and trying to kill each other.
>>
>>47121258
A ping-pong table would be nice.
>>
>>47121258
A torture chamber, booze, slaves and skeletons.
>>
>>47120540
You really need to get a grip, friend. Your expectations are out of touch with reality. This is not 4e or 3.5 or pathfinder. 5e has a quite slow release schedule. Unearthed arcana is just a little side thing. A little extra. It's not D&D Insider, it's not Dragon magazine, it's not a pathfinder subscription. It's just a mixture of homebrew and playtest materials they release when it's convenient. You need to just accept that this is how it works now, and stop getting all bent out of shape over it. You're just needlessly upsetting yourself otherwise.
>>
>>47121258
If you don't have a Teleportation Circle somewhere in your keep, you've failed as an adventurer.
>>
>>47121258
A kitchen would be great as well, along with an alchemist.
>>
>>47121485
There's no point releasing a new edition if you don't plan to release content for it.

So much is missing from the current rules, why is the release schedule so damn glacial?
>>
>>47121418
I second a ping-pong table... maybe one of those folding ones so you can play by yourself
>>
Decent crafting rules when?
Decent spell making rules when?
Decent fighting style development rules when?
Decent ranger beast master patch when?
Decent weeaboo fightan magic when?
>>
>>47121718
Psionics when?
Monster Manual 2 when?
Named spells when?
>>
>>47120540
What is this you speak of friend?
>>
>>47121777
Plane shift zendikar.

It's mostly just reskinned shit, but it's still alright. The vamps are fun.
>>
>>47121718
Decent wot4e monk when?
Decent bladelock fix when?
>>
>>47121797
Thanks man, hopefully it's not full of ridiculousness, or atleast BAD ridiculousness
>>
>>47121833
No, it's pretty decent. adds goblins, merfolk, vampires, and a mtg race called the kor.

Pretty good, really.
>>
>>47121797
>The vamps are fun
>He has a GM that doesn't go full RAW
Lucky you.

I'm 3 sessions in and my AT vampire still didn't make one null. All by myself is literally impossible, and the group are all neutral/good, so casting spare the dying so I bite them again constantly is a nono for them.
>>
>>47121868
It looks like they gave Kor way too many racial features, other races with that many features (eg Dorfs) have atleast one drawback (25 speed).

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here.
>>
>>47121258
Hire Tucker's Kobolds as guards.
>>
>>47122042
No, they are pretty overpowered

Whoever was writing them underestimated the value of skill proficiencies
>>
>>47121880
Not exactly. I am the Dm. I just have more fun when my players are enjoying their characters.
>>
Hey, new DM here.

I've read everything and I'm ready to go, so I'm not asking for a tutorial. But I'm a little confused about radiant damage, I thought (naturally assumed I guess) undead types were supposed to be vulnerable to it. Whats up with that? What is vulnerable to radiant?
>>
>>47122076
Atleast vampires and Merfolk look cool
>>
>>47122076
>Whoever was writing them underestimated the value of skill proficiencies
Merfolk also go 2 skill proficiencies, so Goblins.

The only ones that got zero were vamps and humans.
>>
>>47120932
I regularly homebrew up bosses, and they always have multiple phases either hard-coded into their profile or soft coded into the environment. I think it makes encounters memorable, but more importantly, worthwhile. I don't see the entertainment value in fighting wolves in the forest, neither from the players' end nor the DMs end. So far my campaign has the occasional skirmish, and a boss fight every second or third session. Skirmishes to boss fights are at about a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. A skirmish being an initiativeless back and forth basically, and a boss fight being a tried and true fight utilizing all the hard rulings. Boss fights aren't limited to just conventional bosses, just well thought out fights in general with specific mechanics and flavour. For example, a large scale fight with X goblins could be a boss fight as long as there's a coherent theme and some unique abilities and mechanics thrown in there to keep players on their toes.

The philosophy behind it is:
Create a fight that has a problem beyond "whack him"
Let the players figure it out. It should be apparent enough that it is figured out and exploited within about 2-3 rounds.
Let them exploit this weakness for a bit.
Shift the goalposts and telegraph it, and make them re-learn the fight.

Basically I'm running WoW or dark souls level bosses but adapted for the tabletop format, which means they need to be easy to learn, but not overly obvious, because there are no do-overs, and the mechanics need to be unique, not rely on repeated use.
>>
>>47122107
The only low level monster I can think of is the 'shadow'.

Yeah, lots of monsters don't have their old standard resistances either, (undead in general don't resist necrotic etc). I assume it's to not limit players that 'specialize' their damage.
>>
>>47120080
I'd say an Eldritch Knight fighter. Should be a good way to pick of some rocky effects while being able to still fight effectively.
>>
>>47122110
Vampires don't look like zendikar vampires though. And their Bloodthirst feature is a real headache.
>>
>>47122107
From what I understand, radiant damage is good not for what is vulnerable to it, but how few things are resistant to it
>>
>>47120080
Stoneforges are artificers...but artificer in 5e sucks and is a full wizard.
>>
>>47122141

Ok. How badly will I break the game if I make undead vulnerable to radiant, because it just seems like they should be (and because I'd just assumed this, I already told the paladin who is hype about smiting some shit)

Just add a few more undead onto the encounters for balance I suppose?
>>
>>47122151
It's int a headache if your dm enforces raw and not the fairly obvious RAI.
>>
>>47122213
Paladin already deals extra damage on smites against undeads.
>>
So with Repelling Blast, does each 'beam' of EB knock the target 10 feet?
>>
>>47120080
Bladesinger wizard maybe? Its the only classical can think of with a lot of stone-shaping effects, and Bladesinger is the only type of wizard that would remotely work in close combat.
>>
>>47122151
Luckily for me I was looking for races to integrate into the core/unearthed arcana race.

Merfolk are a definite yes from me
Goblins aswell, but I'll rename/reskin them
>>
>>47122215
>the fairly obvious RAI
Which is? biting them in your last attack? that's bullshit OP.
>>
>>47122213
Idk why you'd do that, but sure..

To smite you burn spell slots so it's not going to be every single turn ever, he isn't going to waste smites on rank and file zombies, probably.
>>
>>47122213
You'd make a paladins around the world very happy. There aren't too many common sources for radiant, sacred flame, a few cleric spells, and smiting just gets a big buff
>>
>>47122264
>>47122267
Well, at 11th level Paladins add 1d8 radiant to all their attacks, that would be 2d8 against undead, and 4d8 because now are vulnerable to radiant.
>>
>>47122247
>op
>in a game balanced in real time by a human with unlimited ability to change the game.

I wish more people would read that one m&m passage.
>>
Hey guys, looking at trying to upgrade the Swordmage class into 5e- should I start with the Eldritch Knight but give it some kinda of mark not unlike the 4e one? Has there already been a homebrew I could look at for inspiration or just use instead?
>>
>Playing barb
>13 con 17 str
>Glaive and polearm master
>Reach lvl 4

Should I get Sentinel feat or +1 str and +1 con ?
>>
>>47120080
Bladesinger Wizard, then take all the rocky/earthy spells / cantrips you can get your hands on

-Mold Earth
-Earth Tremor
-Earthbind
-Maximilian's Earthen Grasp
-Erupting Earth
-Melf's Minute Meteors
-Stone Shape
-Stoneskin
-Wall of stone
-Flesh to stone
-Investiture of Stone
-Move Earth
-Meteor Swamp

Then refluff your blade singing to floating rock armour etc
>>
>>47122361
Marking is in the DMG
You have EK and Bladesinger
>>
>>47119248
CN human wizard often mistaken for a dwarf. Only studies magic to use in get rich quick schemes and scams.
>>
>>47122332
yeah, I forgot about that.

Probably just tell him you fucked up, but stress how good smite is despite the radiant damage not being doubled.

weakness and resistance changing to a flat halved or doubled has made that too big to give.
>>
>>47122247
No, the non lethal bites one. You have to drain them dry, but all damage you deal with it is non lethal. This means there's actually a time cost associated with it, and you'll usually only get one null per encounter.
>>
>>47122378
the 2 +1s
it takes a LONG TIME to get to level 8.
you'll feel the +1 to hit and dmg and +1 ac more
>>
>>47122413
Sounds good, thanks!
>>
>>47122361
Sword coat adventure guide has some of their at-will attacks as cantrips, which could be a good place to look.

Personally, I think Eldritch Knight is a very good place to start. Perhaps you could make the Mark into a Fighting style, depending on which one you were looking at.

The Strength based one might be easiest to let them fire cantrips as a reaction to that enemy attacking an ally.

For Warding, the level 6 ability on an Abjuration Wizard reminded me of it, though it'd need to be toned down for a more minor bonus.
>>
>>47122332
>>47122267

I forgot about the bonus 1d8 to undead and fiends. My bad. So I'll just leave it alone then.
>>
>>47122405
There have been so many "obvious interpretations" for bloodthirst over these days that is funny everytime someone says the words like there's only one obvious RAI
>>
>>47122332
Some clerics too
>>
>>47122395

He won't be too worried, the whole group is new.

But yeah, that long term scaling would be ridiculous
>>
>>47119944
>Level 14. The main reason I don't want to give them another level is that they're all multiclassed 11/3, and levels 12 and 4 are usually underwhelming.

Level them up and let them all take Lucky
>>
I heard something about beastmaster rangers being the most OP shit there is?

How exactly? Animal companions don't level up for shit, more than getting your proficiency bonus, and you can never get anything cooler than some medium donkey. Magical weapons, special abilities and shit gotta be better than 1d6+2, no?
>>
>>47122792
sounds like someone's pulling your leg m8
>>
>>47122818
Iunno, I'm pretty green on 5e. I've just seen people yammer on about
>beastmaster a best
multiple times here in 5eg threads.
>>
>>47122792
>>47122852
Beastmaster is the worst archetype, period, maybe you heard BATTLEmaster, which is in fact the best martial imo.
>>
>>47122852
>>47122895
I'm not here to argue, but the people that say the Beastmaster is the 'worst' are those that haven't played it.

I played one with a giant poisonous snake, and it was very effective, especially at level 7.
>>
File: Holy Light.gif (2MB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
Holy Light.gif
2MB, 500x262px
OH GREAT /5EG/ I BESEECH THEE

SHARE WITH ME THY DESIGNS FOR THINE ARTIFACTS
>>
>>47122232
Yes.
>>
>>47122983
Nice
>>
>>47122974
It's an ancient robot that's been unearthed after two world-ending catastrophes, but the party thinks it's just a golem. Fucking shlubs.
>>
I know it isn't an optimal option but how would I make a Cleric/Wizard with Cleric being the main class?
>>
>>47122945
You mean like literally everybody but you?

Also I played beastmaster, the thing that my companion dies when a monster looks funny at it doesn't help. Check the MM, any AoE of the intended CR will kill a companion. At 10th level your companion has 44 HPs, a young green dragon (CR 8) deals 44 damage with its breath weapon, and companions don't have evasion.
>>
>>47123089
Easy, you pick the class wizard and the class cleric, but be sure you have more cleric levels than wizard levels.
>>
>>47123083
What does it do? Sounds neat
>>
File: fhU98ge.gif (1MB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
fhU98ge.gif
1MB, 160x160px
>>47123083
Fuck... making Chrono Trigger into an 5e campaign...
>>
>>47123116
Obviously you keep the squishy pet away from AoEs that are likely to kill it. The companion isn't a colossus slayer, it provides an extra pair of eyes & out of combat skills (eg keen senses, blindsight, burrowing and stealth), and when used effectively it can provide invaluable aid in combat vs loads of enemies from the MM.

All that said it's health is super low... and sucks sometimes
>>
>>47118459
Do you allow your players to buy cantrips if they're the type that can reasonably be taught (IE not a fucking sorcerer)?
I do, and I price them at 25g per cantrip bought. I regret nothing, because even martials with high enough int (wizard list), cha (bard list), or wis (druid list) can get some much appreciated resevoirs of magic (if they also spend some time and effort and get good rolls learning their first magic). Im not sure if i should let them buy cleric or warlock cantrips, since those are given by entities...but then again, that one feat can net you any of the cantrips from any class without a pact or a god.
>>
>>47123235
>All features are for combat
>"obviously you keep it away from combat"
This seems counterintuitive af
>>
>>47123172
Slowly exposes them all to deadly radiation and malfunctions when it's hot and sunny out.

But it can heal them and grows some great crops. It's a nuclear, thermoelectric-powered agricultural robot from an ancient seed vault. It is also questionably sentient after eons of a basic AI reiterating upon itself, but suffers from a crippling robo-neurosis due to having cannibalized parts from its fellow robots in order to repair and maintain itself through the millennia, something it now understands as "murder".
>>
>>47122974
There is a theoretically functional but currently powerless golem whose chassis is designed to hold a martial artist and warrior that guides its movements in my setting. I put it in after an offhand joke one of my players made.
>>
>>47123284
you've gone and misquoted me there pal.

Keep it away from giant enemies that do too much damage for it to handle is what I said.

Also not all of their features are for combat, the skills they're proficient in gain your proficiency bonus to their roll, so a wolf's stealth becomes 4+proficiency bonus and it's perception becomes 3+proficiency bonus.
>>
>>47123346
>in a game of sorts with multiple DMs
>one DM runs all these quests around retrieving the materials for and constructing what is essentially a SINGLE set of magical power armor
>it's plated with a special magic-repelling metal, which is useful because it is designed to be used against some supremely powerful warlock shitheads
>golems are highly prevalent in the setting already
>gets smacked down by other DMs because "it's too high tech"
>they have an airship with a lightning cannon and a wizard in a spidermech suit
>>
>>47123398
>giant enemies
Flame skull's (CR4) at will damage OKS companions of a 4th level Beastmaster. It's AoE fucking evaporates them on average, and it's a small creature.

Nothic's gaze attack (CR 3 medium creature) also instantly kills companions.

How do I know this? because I played several beastmasters, I spent more time calling for a new companion than any other thing. The least useless one? ranged halfling with a wolf spider which I used as mount and never used any combat feature.
>>
>>47123481
Well the DM of my game gave my companion death saving throws, so If It fell victim to a fireball It had a chance to not kick the bucket.
>>
>>47123603
RAW they do get death saving throws, ignore shitters that claim otherwise and are unable to read.
>>
>>47123678
Death saving throws are jack shit when your companion has 12 HPs and the attack dealt 24.

Also RAW only PCs and the NPCs the GM chose get death saving throws.
>>
>>47123678
and those death saving throws are CRUCIAL.
>>
>>47123724
'it's hitpoints equals it's normal MAXIMUM or four times your ranger level, whichever is higher'.

That's straight from the book, so a wolf would have 18hp at level 3, not 12.
Panther: 24
Giant Wolf Spider: 18
Giant Frog: 32
Giant Crab: 24
Giant Badger: 20
Giant poisonous snake: 18
Boar: 18

Should've read the info block more thoroughly
>>
>>47123678
Still, if almost any attack made by a worth mentioning enemy (CR of the similar level as your character's) reduces your companion's HPs to 0, well, maybe devs should take a look at that.
>>
>>47123797
>implying I mentioned wolf's HPs
Should've read my post more thoroughly
>>
>>47123843
Don't get petty now

Whether you mentioned it or not is irrelevant, because I listed most of the combat pets below.
>>
>>47123870
>Don't get petty now
Says the guy who got nitpicky with the number 12
>>
File: image.png (131KB, 1127x895px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
131KB, 1127x895px
>>47123083
Calm down, Dagoth Ur
>>
>>47123901
'Death saving throws are jack shit when your companion has 12 HPs and the attack dealt 24.'

I was directly responding to the information you gave me. The fireball from a flameskull would've dealt on average 29-30 damage, enough to kill a pet with 12hp in 1 hit sure, but not enough to kill any of the pet's I've listed. Anyway it's done now.
>>
>A giant poisonous snake moves as fast as a human
Stuff of nightmares
>>
I'm making a bard/fiendlock multiclass but I'm a little stuck on how to make the patron relationship work. Should I be a greedy entertainer lusting for more power by any means or should I be a pure hearted country boy who bests a devil at several fiddling contests?
>>
>>47124605
Definitely the Devil Went Down to Georgia version.
>>
>>47122852
Heh, are you that guy who asked what the most OP class in 5e was the other day?
Yeah those guys were fucking with you. I laughed.
How about you go read the handbook, eh?
>>
Are there any restrictions to unarmored defence other than actual armors? I've been trying to make a mage that isn't squishy as fuck at low levels. So far, I could make a draconic sorcerer or a mage armor warlock and dip a level in monk/barb for unarmored def.
>>
>>47125830
The restrictions for Unarmored Defense are right there in the description. Note that several other things that are there to improve one's AC actually hard-set the AC, as opposed to piling bonuses onto your existing AC, so things like Mage Armor and Barkskin don't stack with Unarmored Defense.
>>
>>47125830
I believe you get Draconic Resilience OR Unarmored Defense, whichever is higher. They don't stack.
>>
>>47125830
If you're asking if something like Mage Armor negates unarmored defense, i don't think it does.

If I remember right, the barbarian Unarmored defense still works with a shield whereas the monk's doesn't work with a shield, so you might not want to dip in monk if you're gonna want the extra shield AC. Aside from that little detail, i don't think anything else affects it
>>
>>47125830
Different AC calculations are mutually exclusive. An AC calculation is something that sets your AC to "__ + Whatever". This prevents the stacking of both Unarmored Defenses, Draconic Resilience, Barkskin, Mage Armor, etc. You can pick whichever one you like if you have multiples, but you can only have one at a time.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (14KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
14KB, 289x174px
>>47125873
>>47125875
>>47125920
>>47125927
/tg/ HATH SPOKEN
>>
>>47118901

Fuck with them
>>
>>47125973
At least my question was answered, it still sucks that I can't be a tank made of magic.
>>
>>47126205
Yeah. It's kind of an oversight, but at the same time, mages in D&D tend to have a lot of utility, so letting them become giant indestructible walls in addition to that might be a bit ridiculous.

You could consider playing a Barbarian and re-fluffing the bear-totem rage as a sort of magical armor mode, though that might not be what you're going for.
>>
>>47126205
No one wants to go back to the days where the Eldritch Knight or the Cleric are better tanks and front-line combatants than the FIghter or Barb because lol selfbuffs
>>
I know that probably I shoudn´t but... I have a group that was recently introduced to D&D, an now that ther introductory campaing is finally over, was thinking on running CoS for them (mainly because I have another group that has more experience and don´t have the time to prepare 2 different campaings anymore.)
question is: what changes do you suggest for making it more begginer friendly ?
>>
File: 1452261865093.png (187KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1452261865093.png
187KB, 500x375px
>Playing my Atheist human fighter
>Elven cleric of Sehanine Moonbow in our party stops a cult from draining her power
>Gets a personal visit from her
>she appears and starts thanking him for his service and what not
>I'm not buying it for a second
>start demanding to know what illusion is taking place
>goddess starts getting annoyed
>I tell her she isn't real and just a figment of our imaginations
>get turned into a rabbit

She was obviously a wizard's programmed illusion, gods aren't real.
>>
File: euphoric.webm (145KB, 360x204px) Image search: [Google]
euphoric.webm
145KB, 360x204px
>>47127382
>>
>>47126374

Eldritch Knights are still pretty good, though. Shield is fantastic for a front-line fighter.
>>
>>47127423
>havent played dnd in years, quit a year before 4e because group is cunts
>bought 4e books because honestly i liked reading fluff and making shit up more than playing with them
>fastforward to now
>my roomate wants to play with some of their friends/coworkers
>asks me about 5th edition and if i want to play
i have no clue about shit at all from 5th edition, or what the fuck to tell them about it
they said they're going to buy the base rulebooks but wanted to know more about 5th edition (which i couldn't answer)

are the "basic rules" and "dm basic rules" on the wizards site a good excerpt of what 5th edition is/plays like? i dont know if i would even play with them, but it would be nice to know what the fuck they're talking about if i joined anyway.

only real questions i have so i dont fag up the thread while im learning, and since i plan on reading his books eventually anyway, are
a. are those "basic rules" pretty accurate, and just expanded on for the full game
and
b. is 5th edition basically a very cleaned up, organized, and updated 3.5 edition?
>>
>>47127652
The basic rules are a free subset of the Player's Handbook rules that include four classes with a single subclass each.

The Mega trove in the OP contains all the currently released material for 5e, so you could just grab the PHB and read that.

5e is only "3.5e cleaned up" insofar as there are spell slots, the same six ability scores, and a d20 is used for the core resolution mechanics, but calling it "3.5e but cleaned up" is an oversimplification that will screw up their preconceptions coming into the system.
>>
>>47127746
it actually makes alot more sense to read the mega than read the basic rules and wait for him to get his copies, i have no clue why i didn't fucking think of that

and yeah, i drew that conclusion only from glancing at the rules and reading mostly fluff. like you said same abilities, and the fact that the level up/spell chart looked the same, made me think it was more similar. glad to hear its not "3.5e v2"
>>
>>47127382
>being an atheist in FR
it's fine if you don't worship, or think the gods aren't deserving of worship (say, because they're merely extremely powerful immortals who nevertheless die and ascend all the time), but only a complete retard would think they aren't REAL
>>
>>47127826
>never seen a god
>seen a bunch of dudes do magic claiming god did it
>they're all just con men wizards

Bit of a stretch, but I could picture it.
>>
>>47127423
Eldritch Knights are now just Fighters who can cast a few shitty spells. 3X EKs were Wizards who took ~2 levels of Fighter and then ran through a half spellcaster progression prestige class to wind up with level 9 spells and enough offensive and defensive buffs to more than compensate for whatever BAB progression and HP they lacked from all those Wiz levels.
>>
>>47127837
Literally the entire planet knows the Gods exist and has no broad disagreement about who they are, you can cast spells to talk to them or visit their home planes, they frequently appear as avatars and the like, fuckers who claim otherwise are routinely smote, divine and arcane magic are noticeably different and there exists means to dispel illusions or to verify the school and source of a magical effect, they were depowered and thrust onto the planet by uber-divine edict so recently in the past that Dwarves and Elves could have shaken hands with them personally, and anyone who worships hard enough can start shooting holy lasers from their eyes despite being otherwise dumb as a rock.

The only stretch is believing there must be a global dickass wizard conspiracy. I mean, there is, but it's not about making up Gods.
>>
>>47127837
This is pretty close to the plot of the first half of the Cleric Quintet, actually.
>>
>>47127843
...you know, people still do that.
2 levels of fighter, all Wiz after that. It is a popular build for 5e.
>>
>>47127826

The Athar in Planescape have the most reasonable poibt of view, probably one I'd share if I were in that world. The Powers are certainly very, very powerful, and they certainly can grant magic to their followers. They're also complete and utter assholes, undeserving of worship. I think that's as close as a character in a typical D&D world could get to being an outright atheist.
>>
>>47119634

What are you talking about? I fart in your general direction.
>>
>>47127798
>>47127652
>glancing through books
>favorite god didnt make it to 5th edition
oh... okay
i didnt want him there anyway
>>
has anyone here tried tweaking sharpshooter? my group has found that it's very exploitable and trivialized a lot of encounters.
>>
I don't get WotC.

They've come out and said the reason that they kept BM so bad was they were afraid of the pet being too good and functionally being a second character. But that makes no sense, considering what they have done, and what they haven't.

>Pact of the Chain
>super familiar that can use objects and fly, and turn invisible. Lets you take two turns in combat if you're creative with items.

Is this just another instance of "Wizards" of the Coast's subtle bias towards casters?

Then there's the fact that a large reason the beast master sucks so much is that the pet has no HP so it can't even survive in combat. The pet wouldn't have been an action economy problem if they just gave it a reasonable amount of HP.

So the "problem" that wizards stated with the beast master is irrelevant to its actual problem, and a problem they ignored with the other semi-pet class, warlocks.

Why is the Beast Master so fucking bad then?
>>
>>47128995
and yet unearthed arcana rangers are really, really good.
>>
>>47122107
There aren't as many anymore. My players have been turning to it when they are unsure of a monster's weakness/resistance. It kinda functions like Persona's Almighty damage. They used heaps of it at the end of Death House to drop that Shambler right quickly.
>>
Is it worth using any familiar that isn't a bat or owl? Other than for RP
>>
File: shambler.sprite.defend.png (691KB, 1296x1052px) Image search: [Google]
shambler.sprite.defend.png
691KB, 1296x1052px
>>47129115
>to drop that Shambler right quickly
>>
>>47128766

Not a big deal. You can add and remove gods as much as you like.
>>
>>47126205
Bladesinger
>>
>Dm doesn't even read the PHB, DMG, MM or the precon campaign he's going to Dm
>He "improvises" as he's reading the campaign
>By "improvising" he means 10 goblins with 20 AC, 15 HPs, +5 to attack and that deal 10 damage per hit is a perfectly reasonable threat for a 1st level group
>Same for other stuff
>You try to "improvise" too (bullshit your way I mean)
>Dm: Anon, you character sheet doesn't say you can do that
Fuck this shit, 4 hours of my life wasted, I should have left earlier
>>
>>47129713
How do you know they had 20 AC, +5 to attack?
>>
>>47129732
Because we all roll on the open
>>
>>47127968
They don't have a prestige class helping them do it though. That's what an eldritch knight was in 3.5, a prestige class, one that doesn't exist in 5e. Not just talking about multi-classing.
>>
>>47129713
Also lets not forget
>Out of the blue, Dm: You have disadvantage
>Me: Ok, next turn my familar aids me
>Dm: This disadvantage can't be removed
>>
Is shield a required spell for a Wizard? Or is it only worth taking if you want to be really cautious?
>>
>>47129969
it's not a bad idea in a game where you fight a lot of low-level casters who might throw magic missiles at you, and it can save your bacon if you get jumped. definitely not required, but it's a spell that will be useful regardless of your level.
>>
>>47118459
Wait, is Zendikar this month's UA?
>>
File: Charakterbogen.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Charakterbogen.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Please help me out here.

I´ve got a game to GM tonight, for two players, maybe three. Two have only a couple sessions worth of experience and the third one has ADHD and isn´t going to learn how to make a character in a day, but I doubt he can stay focused if he doesn´t get to make his own character. A weird guy, but that´s how he works.

I´ll also have some rotating players in the near future and I´ll be playing one shots with different people and characters.

I need a way to introduce several players into DnD one-shots without having to explain rules, walking someone through character creation or resorting to premade characters every single time, so I decided to try my hand at building a DnD-lite.

Characters (roughly level 3 equivalent) ready to go in 5-10 minutes even with absolute lack of knowledge about pen and paper, and simple but fluid gameplay. The real rules will come later, once the group gets a little more established.

Thing is, I´m not that experienced myself and I´m not sure how balanced it is.
Could you take a quick look at it and tell me if you see any blatant flaws or imbalances? It´s only one page of rules and a character sheet. I´ll probably use other 5e rules, but that´s all coming out of my head and the players knowledge or experience shouldn´t make a difference.
>>
How would you manage XP/CR when it comes to players fighting other PC-style enemies?

Asking because I made a rival adventure team that my current group may end up fighting and I want to know what XP I would give them if they happen to win.

If it helps, the rival party is:
Level 5 Dragonborn Fighter
Level 4 Tiefling Bard
Level 4 Dwarf Paladin
>>
>>47130286

Calculate the CR of each enemy character based on the monster creation guidelines on page 274 of the DMG. Add up their experience values and multiply by 2 if you have three to five PCs, multiply by 1.5 if you have 6 or more PCs. That gives you a rough estimate of the difficulty of the encounter.
>>
>>47120080
You want someone who forges powerful weapons? try another system.
Artificer will at best let you forge 1 that will last for 8 hours.
>>
>>47130286
This sounds like an important encounter. You may want to look at how close the party is to their next level and base it off of that.
>>
>>47130235
forgot the 13 in the standard array
>>
>>47130731
That was intentional. Constitution wasn´t necessary after ripping off some other mechanics, so I just threw it into Strength.

There´s one less stat, so I took off the 13.
>>
>>47130818
I guess that's one way to beef up martials.
>>
>>47130235
It doesn't feel horribly imbalanced, but I'm wondering how any of this is necessary.

Microlite d20 does "horribly simple D&D" already, Simplified systems like Risus and FATE can both be used in fantasy, and this doesn't really bring anything new to the table to merit creation.
>>
>>47129846
>>47129713
Sounds like he wanted to make a hard campaign of gritty "anyone can die" combat, but didn't know how to translate that into an RPG well.

So he did what his videogames have taught him makes things hard, gave you enemies with NG+ stats and put flavorless penalties on you.
>>
>>47130872
>Sounds like he wanted to make a hard campaign of gritty "anyone can die" combat,
Not really, when we asked about the goblins he said "cannon fodder creatures, literally piss easy to beat"
>>
>>47130896
See, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because he sounded new and kind of retarded.

Now he just sounds like a cunt who wants to feel smarter than he really is.
>>
What features would have to be considered if someone wanted to mess around with the dying rules?
>Medicine skill
>Healers' kit
>Healer feat
>Spare the Dying spell
Anything else?
>>
>>47130831
Yep. Stealthy and fast goes on Dex, which also keeps thieves from having much HP because they probably want Int too to collaborate with whatever skills and gifts they come up with, and melee martials have one stat less to worry about.

>>47130853
Risus is too simple, specially when I want to introduce newbies to DnD in particular. Haven´t read much about FATE, but to be honest I just don´t have the time today.

I´ve checked Microlite, too. It doesn´t look bad, but it´s still a few pages. I´m going to be handling complete newbies, so I wanted to compress it further so that I can fit it in one page and doesn´t require explaining stuff like saving throws, AC... or to have the players sorting through spells trying to decide which they want to take.

It also gives it an extra "make it yourself" vibe, which will help me check whether we go on with 5e or we change to some other system, depending on how hard they get stuck at making up stuff to fill the character sheet.

Just something for myself, really. I´m just not experienced enough to determine whether there´s a big imbalance.

You seem to imply there´s some imbalance, though. Where would it be?
>>
>>47130907
I think is the sum of the three, new, retarded and a cunt. No grasp of the actual rules and no intention of reading them while also being a smartass cunt about it. Thank god I left.
>>
>>47131026
Did you manage to pull anyone else out of that wreck?
>>
>>47131071
No, I told them I was fed with all that shit after I tried to talk with the Dm about at least reading the damn PHB, I think they still had hope shit was going to improve, I decided not to wait to find out.
>>
Players: would you rather play in a sandbox, or a more goal oriented quest (the railroad is you have to save the princess, but there's no railroading about how).
>>
>>47131173
This is something you are better off asking YOUR players
>>
>>47131189
I already have, and I know what they want. I'm just generally curious as to what people generally want.
>>
>>47131173
I prefer the second, but mostly because all sandbox games I've been were goddamn awful.
>>
>>47131173
I'd go with the latter. Having an objective objective keeps indecision or conflicting character ideals from stalling the game.
>>
>>47131173

Latter. If the quest sucks we can always ignore it and make DM tear his hair out in frustration, trying to cope with our antics.
>>
>>47131213
Was it that the gm was afraid of random enconters and wanted everything preplanned, or the opposite?

Most sandbox's I've suffered were the former, where the dm refused to add anything in he had not planned there to be in the location.
>>
>>47119958
It wouldn't be that odd, if moving his fridge was actually helpful. I've heard giving your DM snacks or weed works too.

>>47122076
Really, compare them to halflings to see how far off they are.

>>47123282
I would default that to the 250 gp and 250 days of training to learn.

>>47123286
If they're not the same model of robot, it's really more like hunting or farming. Lions eat zebras. Humans eat meat.

If it was very similar robots, it's cannibalism, but maybe not murder.

>>47128995
You know familiars are even easier to kill than the beast companion, right? Probably best to address how much harder it is to replace a companion, and aoe damage.

>>47130203
No. This month's UA will be DMsguild spotlight.

>>47130286
This is why you use milestone and milestone-like xp.

>>47120080
If you want to mimic the card, EK or Bladelock can summon a bound weapon.
>>
File: Eirinn Chargen.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Eirinn Chargen.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>47130235

Honestly, the document you've got there is not very reader friendly or coherent. You may have simplified the rules a bit, but the existing presentation of the rules is a lot easier to follow.

Here's the document I give my noobs, and it seems to do the job pretty well. It lets them do fast character creation, since they can just roll 1d6, 1d12, 1d12, then 6x4d6d1, and the character is finished. This is for a game based on Celtic myth, but you could obviously just make your own first page and use the rest as-is.
>>
>>47132167

Here's the character sheet that I use. It gives a little more guidance to the player than the standard character sheet, and I think the colors and organization are a bit nicer. It's also referenced on the last page of that character generation doc, so I recommend using these or adjusting that document if you're going to use it.
>>
I took the time to read the bladesinger entry in SCAG. Do you think dipping a level in fighter for dueling, second wind and martial weapon proficiency worth it?
>>
>>47128766
>princes of the apocalypse
>it's all about elemental cults being dickasses
>in Forgotten Realms
>evil elemental princes/archomentals feature prominently
>not one fucking mention of the good-aligned elemental princes/archomentals or Grumbar/Kossuth/Istishia/Akadi, all of whom are opposed to the evil guys
HOW
DO
YOU
FUCK
THIS
UP
>>
>>47132269

Ah, worth noting here that I use a modified experience system, so 30 experience is always enough for a level. You could divide that up however you like, but I suggest 3 for a hard battle, 2 for medium, 1 for easy, 1 for each treasure found, and 1 for each substantial non-combat scene. I don't generally give experience for traps or random encounters, because I think players should be avoiding them rather than seeking them out.

I'm a teacher, so guiding noobs through things they don't know how to do is kind of my job. I'd suggest that it's usually better to provide guidance than to simplify. Give them tools and coaching to help them do the thing, rather than adjusting the activity to make it simpler. People respond better to that and feel a greater sense of accomplishment, which makes them want to keep playing.
>>
>>47132078
"Cannibalizing parts" doesn't necessarily refer to taking parts from a (very) similar machine to repair another. If you need to fix this airplane using bolts and screws of a certain size and the only source for a thousand miles is this tractor, welp. It's a pretty broad engineering term.
>>
>>47132304
They're trying to get away from that whole 4e thing of having a mirror pantheon but for Primordials. Elementals make good antagonists, but having "The big good guys who are like gods but not" confuses matters.
>>
Rate this house rule:

You always roll two dice. Absent anything else, the first roll is the success \ failure, and the second roll determines beneficial or detrimental side effects of the roll.

If you have advantage, you only ever get beneficial side effects, and can swap the two dice how you wish.

If you have disadvantage, you only ever get detrimental side effects, and the Dm can swap the dice how he wishes.

If you have lucky, you roll a third die and can replace one of them with it.
>>
>>47132299

If you're doing one level, you should do two levels and get action surge, or three and get battlemaster maneuvers.
>>
>>47132078
Familiars have huge utility outside of combat, and with flying, magic resistance, and invisibility, can act in it with much less fear of dying.
>>
>>47132354
We can have a bajillion racial pantheons but we're downgrading the elementals (the whole Primordial thing is a 4e retcon) from some of the biggest and most widely-worshipped deities to no-mentions? They straight up ARE GODS, gaining power by and granting it to their followers.

It's one thing to not talk about Zaaman Rul (good counterpart of Imix), since neither of them are mentioned very much to begin with. But how do you forget Big K?
>>
>>47120282

this is actually a really cool idea
>>
>>47132364

Complicated, slows down play, and adds very little. You'd have to also develop a table of beneficial and detrimental side effects for each kind of d20 roll, which would be cumbersome to reference. Otherwise you have the DM making up effects on the fly, in which case, why bother rolling when you can do that already?
>>
>>47132397

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So add them back in. It's your game, mang.
>>
>>47132411
Eh, you've clearly never played something like edge of the empire. It's actually pretty fun, though you would need a table.
>>
>>47132452

Nope, I'm apparently the only person on earth under the age of fifty that doesn't like Star Wars. How does the system work there?
>>
>>47132364
Wouldn't it be easier to gauge the level of success or failure by simply comparing the result of the check with the DC?
>>
>>47132481
Special cash grab die with special symbols.

You've got symbols for success, failure, advantage, disadvantage, triumph, despair. Opposing symbols cancel each other out, except for triumph and despair.

Success/failures determine success or failure. If there is one success left over you succeed, additional ones say by how much.

Advantage/disadvantage determine circumstantial good or bad stuff. You may fail at shooting the dude for instance, but hit something behind him that destroys his cover.

Triumph/despair are super advantage and disadvantage.

It's a surprisingly fast and fun system once you get used to it.
>>
Sup, /5eg/, aspiring DM here, looking to make my first group. I know there's a lot of great DM resources online, and I already downloaded a ton, but I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good one-shot quest type (or a specific quest) for a beginner group that's just testing out if they like the game at all. Something that's not too rules-intensive on my part (simple environment, monsters with fairly predictable patterns), while still exciting to a party of players who might be more into interaction and exploration than combat.

There were also a few I found from a 5E contest posted a while back. Has anybody tried The Golden Bones of Lightwatch Tower or The Dreaming Heralds? Did they play well?
>>
>>47132540
Too binary. Under that kind of system, success would always be paired with advantages, and failure with disadvantages
>>
>>47132345
I'm trying to figure out how a robot gets from that to "I've murdered to live". You're not a tractor. It is not murder to disassemble a tractor.
>>
>>47132625
You have the game. The game is the game. All the rules are part of the game.

Then you have campaigns. Or one-shots, whatever. Stories. Stories have no rules, unless you want to add in something complicated.

The rules are simply the framework you´re using to assess the player character´s capabilities and tell the story.

This means that any good, simple story is a good one for beginners. Avoid premade campaigns and shit, just tell a simple story.

The players are sent to a small island. There´s a small settlement there, and they´ve got problems with people not coming back from the forest. Their duty is to check what´s going on and find what´s happened to the missing people. Make a map of the island. Add a town on the coast, a forest covering most of the island, and a couple mountains right on the middle or behind the forest.

Now they have their interaction as they ask around and try to find out as much info as possible.

Then they´ll probably go out exploring. Throw them a bone here. Maybe people have seen strange lights at night on the mountain, or sometimes spotted eyes hidden in the bushes, spying them.

Turns out there´s a tribe of kobolds. At first they kept themselves hidden, but the human growth is starting to eat into the forest, so they can´t go out to hunt or collect stuff as they did before.
If the players are trigger happy, they´ll get combat. Otherwise they might be able to get a conversation going on. One of the kobolds speaks a little Common (in case none of the players know their language), so they can talk. They expose the humans as invaders and just want their place.

The people of the town might or might not be OK with sharing their island. Pick whatever you think will make for a better story.

Let the players lead the story and don´t try to prepare too much. You just offer them a situation and tell them how it evolves in response to their actions.

If you fear it might be too short, add a dungeon under the kobolds lair.
>>
>>47132660
I'm not saying make this number on the d20 good and this number bad, I'm talking about determining the level of success by how close you were to the DC. So doing exceptionally well/poor would amplify your success/failure while getting close to the DC would involve a catch.
>>
>>47122974

Mine found a genuine mecha(front mission mook tier) abandoned in some odd chamber filled with burnt skellies carrying about sleek looking aquerbuses. Did nothing with it. Just like they didn't with a high tech library.
>>
>>47132815

Thanks Anon. Part of my concern with creating my own story as I go is that I want to build some encounters that are interesting and challenging, but winnable. I don't know enough about the gameplay as to know what would make a difficult, much less interesting, level 1 encounter. For example, I hear that the Lost Mine of Phandelver is pretty hard for starting groups, but I wouldn't know a proper nerf would be. Hence the interest in something premade, because the better ones are usually playtested first.

All that said, I get your point. I'll keep it simple. Thanks again.
>>
>>47132846
What would you put as the disadvantage/advantage threshold? >5 away is advantage, <5 is disadvantage?
>>
>>47133034
That would be my first impulse, but someone would probably have to do some math to figure out what the best number would be, if it could even be one objective amount for any and all situations.
>>
Does anyone have anything 5E official, on becoming lich as a PC?

My DM is completely open to the idea, but he says he doesn't want to go homebrewy (and I agree with that completely). I can't find anything that isn't homebrew, and I haven seen any new playtest stuff either.

I am currently a level 6 minotaur necromancer/wizard and we are mid Ravenloft campaign if it makes a difference.

I figure if there is anything about becoming a lich Ravenloft would be the place to find it, and becoming one to achieve my goals (backstory) will work perfectly.
>>
>>47133335
Nothing official.
>>
>1st level character is untrained militia tier
>There's a background that lets you be any rank in an army
This doesn't make sense.
>>
>>47133356
I figured as much.
Figures I finally get a DM that is willing/open to the idea of a PC lich and there is nothing available -_-
>>
>>47123089
I'd probably just go Arcana Cleric desu.
>>
>>47133374
>1st level character is untrained militia tier

it's not. 1st level is trained soldier tier.
>>
>>47127382
Dude, I'm an IRL atheist, but if I lived in FR you'd find me at the temple of Illmater every time there's a service.
>>
>>47129407
Raven can mimic speech which is very useful for out of combat utility.
>>
>>47133374
Back in ye olde days of named levels, a 1st level Fighter was a "Veteran"
>>
File: sketch-1462643762415.jpg (260KB, 1920x727px) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1462643762415.jpg
260KB, 1920x727px
>>47133374
But that's wrong. First level characters are heroes.
>>
>>47118512
My first DM centered his entire campaign on a cult of Dragonborn, so Dragonborn characters are now banned from my campaigns.

Also, my best friend made a Prince-based Dragonborn Bard (years ago) with the purple flanell and everything. It was as stupid as it sounds. He didn't even have an implement.
>>
>>47133908
Heroes don't die against a single goblin or a dog.
>>
>>47121718
Fighting style development rules? Fucking really? They're, like, less than a feat. The longest one is like two sentences. The only rules involved are ' eyeball it,' and you either know that already or there's no helping you even with rules.
>>
I need a pun name for a conjuration wizard who specializes in summoning monsters at every single opportunity.

Another one I played, as a Monk who liked running fast, was Runa. Runa the Monk --> Run Amuck, to give you guys an idea.

The worse the pun the better.
>>
>>47133389

A level 6 character won't be able to cast the spells required anyway, so leave the plan alone until you at least have access to level 7 spell slots.
>>
>>47134331
If they die they weren't heros.
>>
>>47134331

Yeah, and a commoner doesn't lose against a housecat.
>>
>>47134539
Steiya Wheyfromm the Summoner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4bQRwfKXy0
>>
>>47134331
It's worse, THE ROYAL SPY can totally die against a single dog.

Yep, there's royal sanctioned and trusted spy as backgroud. They went overboard with some backgrounds.
>>
About unarmored defense and the likes, do AC bonuses granted by wonderous items and bladesong stack without any problem?
>>
>>47134780
If it's a bonus (+x to AC) then yes. If it's a calculation (13 + Dex, etc.) then no.
>>
>>47118486
>Not one black character
>>
>>47134331
You know, generally a hero is defined by their bravery, their courage, their willingness to sacrifice themselves to save others.
I think you might be using that word wrong.
>>
>>47132304
Why would an adventure about fighting evil elementals need to mention good elementals? Did tyranny of dragons have large sections devoted to Bahamut? It's fucking irrelevant.
>>
>>47135155
he·ro
ˈhirō/
noun
a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

>who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

Winners are hero's biatch
>>
RIP Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>47135255
Cry more
>>
>>47135226
Okay, first off, it's heroes, not "hero's." So, yeah, you're kind of reinforcing my perception that you don't know how to use that word.

Secondly, is that meant to be a counter argument, because it isn't. Nothing in that definition says "immunity to dogs and goblins."
Apparently not even copy and pasting the definition has given you any understanding of the concept of heroism. I weep for you.
>>
>>47135155
He wasn't the one who started using the word hero, he just said that for someone who can be a high rank officer in an army in fantasyland to die against a dog is pretty silly. Then an anon replied 1st level characters can be heroes, like that matters, anyone can be a hero, we were talking about silliness of some backgrounds like soldier and royal spy

Don't rememberthe SCAG ones so I can't tell if there's silliness in there too
>>
>>47135361
>Not understanding that winners are hero's
>crying because they died to a goblin
It isn't others fault you suck anon
>>
>>47135288
Are you ready for unearthed arcana to from new content to "this month here is the best DMS guild material" promotions
>>
>>47135460
the mastiff is 1/8 CR, it shouldn't kill a level 1 PC unless you've done something wrong.

>Then an anon replied 1st level characters can be heroes, like that matters

being a hero is irrelevant, the important bit is the fact that 1st level characters are "set apart from the common people by natural characteristcs and learned skills". when you start the game you've probably done something interesting already to account for your class levels, that's what your background represents.
>>
I think I'm going to roll EK/Artificer for the stoneforge mystic, wish me luck.
>>
>>47135919
Fuck you.
>>
>>47136013
Welcome back Andrew.
>>
>>47135919
>Dex/Wis race for classes that use Str/Int
>>
>>47132995
Then check out the encounter calculators. Google it, it´s easy to find and there´s many.

With these things you can input what party you have and you´ll get level appropriate encounters divided in several categories (easy, normal, difficult, very hard, deadly).

My players have never found anything less than hard and still they´ve never had much trouble. I like to make hard or higher encounters but there´s always some environmental thing that lets them make it easier, if they´re smart.
>>
>>47135485
So ready. So very ready. I'm just not interested in people whinging about not getting free shit, especially when the previous free shit has been, well, shit.
>>
>>47134539
Ash-ke Chom

Pokemon reference.
>>
>>47132771
If you're a robot and are disassembling other robots.
>>
>>47130655
>This sounds like an important encounter
It's my last resort to disuade them from being murder hobos if they stick to that path: a team of Lawful Good adventurers who will be sent by the city to fight them if their crime spree gets out of control.
>>
>>47138733
I'll never understand people who give more chances after asking politely doesn't work.
>>
>>47138822
I don't want to "railroad" them but I want them to feel like their actions have concequences.

If they kill the other party or show no signs of remorse/change, then i'm just gonna change the campaign up to make them bad guys.
>>
>>47136179
>characters must be 100% optimized at all times
>>
Okay /5eg/
I've got an idea in my head to make a dual wielding eldritch knight fighter that specializes in evocation spells, and from what I've read I'm not sure if it's very viable in game
But, I really feel it meshes well for the character I've made, so is there any way to make it less sucky?
>>
>>47137726
Why won't they just finish the mystic?
>>
>>47139068
>Dual Weapon Fighter feat at 4th level
>+1 AC
>Only 1 AC less than a sword and board
>Using two longswords
>AC 19 if wearing plate, 24 with a Shield
>AC 20 if you take defense style 25 shield
>Booming Blade
>1d8+STR mod +1d8 thunder if a bitch tries to run
>bonus action off hand attack
>1d8, no STR damage
>Unless you take Two-Weapon Fighting style
>Maximum of +5 damage a round from TWF
>At 20th level, maxxed out STR, four attacks a round, still only +5 damage a round if you take a reaction and have Haste on you
>Maybe just take Defense style, +1 AC is always nice
>3d8+STR if everything goes to plan
>be human
>magic initiate
>BB, Shield, and pick your favorite cantrip to round it out
>1st level starting package chain mail, 17 AC
>22 in an emergency with Shield
>2d8+str every turn
>1d8 if a bitch walks away from you
>No escape from you
>Be the tank your party needs from 1st level
>Seriously, the Wizard only has 5 hp to start with
Just my thoughts as I had them. Not really organized or anything. Dual Wielding EK looks legit to me.
>>
File: OhGosh.jpg (9KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
OhGosh.jpg
9KB, 320x240px
>>47139371
I love you
>>
>>47139068
What mechanics of the fighter (and also the EK) do you feel match your character? There may be a multiclassing way to do what you want better. Also note that while dual wielding, you have no free hand to cast the somatic components of spells.
>>
>>47139371
First thing is first

Booming blade is a spell, when you use a spell you cannot use a bonus action to make an off-hand attack.
If you're a level 7 eldritch knight you can make a bonus action to attack with a weapon after casting a cantrip
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-08-00-29-04.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-08-00-29-04.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>47139371
>>47139469
Sorry bud, you have to take the attack action to use your offhand weapon as a bonus action.
Booming blade is a spell cast as an action with a melee attack involved, not the Attack Action.
>>
File: EK War Magic.png (35KB, 645x152px) Image search: [Google]
EK War Magic.png
35KB, 645x152px
>>47139559
>>47139604
K.
>7th level
>Pic related
>BB has tier 2 upgrade
>1d8+str mod slashing, 1d8 thunder on hit
>2d8 thunder if the little bitch runs from you
>now for your bonus attack
>not an off hand attack anymore
>1d8+str mod
>Dual wielding is probably not optimal
>never was
>Unless DM rules that melee attack from BB counts for off hand strike
>Then pic related only adds str mod to attack
>If anon gets two magic weapons, can use effects of both or either
>Shield still better
>Doesn't matter, anon wants to dual wield
>>
>>47135226
>outstanding achievements
>kings most trusted spy
>killed by a housecat
how is that not a posthumous outstanding achievement
>>
>>47139766
Are you talking about the Criminal Variant: Spy?

Because that only says a spy 'sanctioned by the crown', not the king's best

And if you mean something else I'm not remembering that's more explicitly 'the king's best spy', maybe he's just a shitty king?

And furthermore, no one would actually die to a house cat in a fight ever, even at level one.
>>
File: sloth rhyme.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
sloth rhyme.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>47139954
Not if the house cat fights fair, but when have they ever done that?
>>
Can anyone make the class specific sheets form fillable?
>>
>>47139371
>>Booming Blade
>>1d8+STR mod +1d8 thunder if a bitch tries to run
>>bonus action off hand attack
Read the fucking manual, famalam
>>
>>47139068
>EK
>TWF
All my lels
>>
Hey guys, playing this evening for the first time. Making my character after I've finished my lunch.

Any basic tips for a newbie?

I'm going to be a dwarf and I want to be a front line soldier in heavy armour. If there are tower shields that would be cool too.
>>
>>47140745
Go dwarf fighter, choose the Dueling fighting style, then take battlemaster at level 3 as your martial archetype. Consider the feats Shield Master, Sentinel, or even Heavy Armor Master.

But most of all, have fun!
>>
>>47139473
Well, the guy's a mercenary and charges extra for a "deluxe package" where he'll use magic to help the client, but otherwise is pretty weirded out by it. In universe magic is an innate gift that can be honed (wizard) or be a born savant (sorcerer) or gain it through less scrupulous means (warlock)
It's for that reason we can't really multiclass, mostly because it's a headache when new players say they want to and don't understand how to, and the DM has a personal bias. I agree it's a bit much for new players so I support the rule by going along with it so no "how come he gets to multicclaa but I don't???" arguments.
>>47139604
It's fine really, I just wanted to know if I could run it without dragging the rest of the party down, and as long as I play it where he throws out the occasional spell while whacking things with swords everyone'll be happy
It's not like they get many spell slots to begin with
>>47140084
Don't you think that's why I asked how to make it less sucky?
>>
>>47140745
Have fun role playing!
Remember, your character is not you usually so try and get inside his head and think how he would react to certain situations
Most things in 5e are viable so just play whatever you think looks/sounds good except beastmaster ranger and you think would suit the style of play you want
But as >>47140821 said, have fun!
>>
>>47140821
>>47140872

Thanks for the info guys

I'll be jumping in at l6 so I'll give all of that and the big pdf a good read
>>
>>47140965
You have no idea how refreshing it is to see a new player actually trying to learn the rules
>>
>>47141008

I've wanted to play for years but never knew anyone who did it/had a group going.

Embracing the opportunity as it sounds like good (free) fun
>>
>>47132078
>250 GP for a cantrip
>equivalent cost to a fifth-level spell
Yeah, nah
>>
>about to play Curse of Strahd
>DM decides to let us pick one uncommon magical item as an heirloom
>being a lore bard, I choose Fochlucan bandore

Holy goddamn shit, why are these things uncommon? Fly, Invisibility, and Levitate would already make it incredibly useful, but then I get to cast Entangle and Faerie Fire? I feel terrible, now.
>>
>>47141145

To learn permanently and be able to cast whenever? Seems fairly reasonable to me. Cantrips are in many ways a lot more useful than normal spells.
>>
>>47141483
They're beginners spells, used to teach the basics of magic.
>>
>Playing LMoP
>Town mayor gave us an inn

What interesting things could we do with it ?
>>
>>47141158
Is your DM a legit retard?
>>
>>47141625
There is that distinct possibility, yes.
>>
>>47141539

Yes, but they're also usable at will, scale with level, and can be used in the same round as another spell if you have Quicken or Action Surge. Cantrips in 5e are pretty potent.
>>
>>47141539
> Basics of magic
Including shitting lasers, brainwashing, and psychic attacks?

That description applies to prestidigitation only.
>>
Hey, I haven't been on 5E threads in a while so this may be lost to time, but does anyone have a copy of those player help sheets for 5E that basically give a good summation of the most important rules, and actions one can take? Also a better GM Screen would be nice too? Thanks anons, trying to get my friends into tabletop with 5E and would really appreciate any resources to aid with that.
>>
Is it true the DM picks the monster that is summoned when you cast a summon monster spell? That seems really awful.
>>
>>47142531
That's what the spell says.
>>
>>47142531
Yes. Prevents pixie abuse and other such nonsense.
>>
>>47141567
Run a healing potion speakeasy that avoids paying the kingdom taxes on your wares so you keep prices reasonable and get a lot of customers. Maybe throw in a cathouse operation too and have a Boardwalk Empire type of deal going.
>>
>>47142531
>>47142531
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.01.pdf
When you cast Find Familiar or Find Steed you get to choose because the list is right there in the spell description, but otherwise the GM has final say on what you get, apparently so that you don't summon a creature that doesn't exist in the setting.
>>
>>47142360
Anyone?
>>
File: CheatSheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
CheatSheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>47142809
>>47142360
>>
>>47133335
>>47133389
Don't listen to >>47133356
There is in fact somewhere in Ravenloft you can make a deal and discover the ritual to become a lich. If your DM has the Curse of Strahd book, tell him to look for it there, or rather Google where in the book he can find it. It still requires changing the rules a little bit, because otherwise you become an NPC.
>>
Has anyone attempted a sort of modular build-your-own weapon type system? Something like buying the damage, tags, etc.
>>
>>47143384
It should be fairly obvious what's balanced and what's not. I don't know why you'd have to use a "buy" system when most permutations are there already and you can just switch damage types around.
>>
My players started a not-insignificantly sized fire in the woods around Phandalin with a couple of Alchemist Fires, and left it unchecked. The season is spring. is it likely the fire will die out on it's own, or are chances high that it would be quite devastating to the area?
>>
>>47143623
Roll on the DMG weather chart for a few days of weather and make a judgement call.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
Guise what's the best way to make the spider uniter a thing?

he'd basically be a caster who devotes his time to bringing spiders together and also chilling with them. Ideally he'd use a spider familiar and the spell Conjure Animals to summon giant spiders to fight with him, but there isn't a class with both of those spells.

I'd make him a lore bard if I weren't already playing one of those
>>
So, I really want to convert a bunch of 2e and Pathfinder stuff to 5e mechanics, since I like 5e a lot better. But I'm not exactly an expert at homebrewing. Would I be allowed to post stuff like 5e Aranea, Gnolls, Kobolds, etc here and get feedback on it?
>>
>>47144262
Find some GIFTS, show off how neat you are, and give them lots of tasty bugs.
>>
>>47144385
Sure, but be ready for some harsh as hell criticism, most of the anons here don't know jack shit about homebrew

Every time I see a ranger "fix" or weeaboo fightan magic I die a little inside
>>
How is Eldritch Knight 7/ Bladesinger 13? There's a real chance the campaign will get to twentieth level and 'gishes' are my thing.
>>
>>47144643
EK/abjurer works better
>>
>>47144643
Not that great.

>can't use a two-handed weapon, a shield, or armor above light
>empty level at Wiz 6 because Extra Attacks from multiple classes don't stack
>low HP due to mostly d6 hit dice and Dex/Int dependency
>lack of 8th and 9th-level spells despite mostly Wizard levels

I'm sure it'd play fine, but you are making some pretty big compromises in that split.
>>
>>47144643
It seems like there is a lot of overlap with their features. If you wanted be any flavor of wizard I wouldn't be Bladesinger when mixing with EK. You can't blade dance in good armor, you can't GWM. You get stupid overlap on extra attack (which you probably won't even be using). The only "useful" thing you get from bladesinger 13 is burning spell slots for a shield, which abjurer does better.

That being said, Valor Bard probably does whatever you are doing but better. Maybe try that out and fluff it how you want?
>>
Maybe I'm retarded but I thought the mega or pastebin had a list of options, like archetypes, by source? Ie, indicated the oath of the crown archetype is in the sword coast book. Where the hell is it? Could have sworn I had it.
>>
>>47144643
Go full Eldritch Knight, pepper enemies with a ranged weapon, then go ham with Javelins of Lightning(they don't require attuning). Just dump all your money into buying a quiver full of those things, they're uncommon and you can always recall them back.
>>
>>47139604
>>47139559
As a GM, I always rule that dual wielding does not need a bonus action to hit things, but that you do need to take an attack action to take advantage of the second weapon. Also, dual wielding scales with Extra attack.

I feel that it's balanced enough by not allowing you to use a shield or a two-handed weapon, and that you need war caster in order to perform somatic components of spells with weapons in both hands.

The only classes for which it would be a straight-up buff are the rogues, and even those can often benefit from having one hand free. For everyone else that has access to two-handed weapons, past Extra attack and GWM it's a sidegrade at best.
>>
How would you guys best do a gish?

I was thinking Eknight 3/6 and Abj Wiz for the rest (doubt i'll get over level 10)

getting temp health from shit like absorb elements and shield and counterspell sounds amazing. Also good lord absorb elements is just a great spell
>>
>>47145483

Full bladesinger.
>>
>>47145650
>light armor
>dex
>can only bladesong every so often
>probably have to be an elf

that sounds p. bad senpai
>>
>>47145671
>light armour
Yeah, because the better medium armours let you use up to fuck-all dex mod of your total, and will give you D/A on stealth. You could feat it I suppose, but you're already starved for ASI.
>dex
Yeah, the god stat of 5e.
>can only bladesong every so often
Short rest a lot, kouhai.
>probably have to be an elf
That's a pro.
>>
File: 5BDRqu8.png (569KB, 565x668px) Image search: [Google]
5BDRqu8.png
569KB, 565x668px
>>47145715
you are a very different person than me and that's where i'd like to end our conversation
>>
>>47145735
That's fine, dear. Let's do that.
>>
File: medic is not amused.png (93KB, 259x303px) Image search: [Google]
medic is not amused.png
93KB, 259x303px
A Thief could use Fast Hands to apply a Healer's Kit to an unstable creature in combat as a bonus action, right? How would it interact with the second benefit of the Healer feat? Namely, does the feat's wording of using an action to heal a creature apply, or does Fast Hands cover it since it's a specially enabled way to Use an Item?
>>
>>47145877
I don't think it applies to the second feature, as that's a specific action and not a Use an Object action.

I'd allow it as a DM though, so ask your DM
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.