[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 16

File: 1394234505955.jpg (396KB, 724x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1394234505955.jpg
396KB, 724x1200px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Previous Thread
http://boards.4chan.org/tg/thread/46988409/5eg-dd-5th-edition-general#top

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/plane-shift-zendikar-2016-04-27

Spellblade edition.

Question: Why are cantrips a superior option for multiclass martial characters?
>>
>>47010826
>Question: Why are cantrips a superior option for multiclass martial characters?

If, and only if, you delay getting Extra Attack past level five, don't forget that.
>>
>>47010826
No need to even multiclass.
>Booming Blade
>Arcane Trickster
>Hit them, disengage and bait them to come attack you

Looking forward to picking this and Green Flame Blade as my cantrips when I finally reach 3rd level with this character.
>>
>>47010826

>Question: Why are cantrips a superior option for multiclass martial characters?

Cantrips scale with character level. Martial characters' damage scales by gaining extra attacks, which are tied to class level. Therefore your cantrips will almost always deal more damage than a normal weapon attack action.
>>
>>47010826
Because cantrips reward creativity and grant martials options they otherwise wouldn't have.
>>
Is Kor the best monk race or is the best monk race?
>>
Praise Lathander the Quest threads are gone
>>
>>47010826
Superior for what purpose? There's only one cantrip that's actually worth swapping your weapon out for, and only if you take at least two levels of Warlock to get an invocation to bring it up to speed.
>>
>Have played nothing but Dumb Martial damage classes in 5e.

>Look into the world of Wizardry
>2.5 billion choices of what to pick/do.

Holy shit I'm too dumb. Why..why do they streamline everything then leave Wizards so very complicated.

Fuuuuck
>>
>>47012272
There's, total, about 250 spells, all class combined, of which iirc wizard gets the bulk.

And still nothing is ever going to make me play a wizard, not even Bladedancer.
>>
>>47012272
I think that's the point, wizards have always been mechanic wankery.
>>
>>47012391

Being the "HURR DURR THINGS DIE" kind of fighter outside of bartering situations/roleplay elements, I can only see the logic behind the Evocation school.

I mean yeah, flavor's flavor, but I guess my DM's kind of predictable with battles and surprise badness a constant, I need firepower, not minor illusions / wards.
>>
>>47012272
that's what the internet is for

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZHzEjiHvtDItZE2ixfoYwqi7brTO-ag8uBJndE5saro/edit?pref=2&pli=1
>>
What's a good flaw for a Tempest Hill Dwarf Cleric? I thought about making him claustrophobic or just afraid of going underground (almost died in a cave-in which killed his brother and set him off to a life at sea), but I think that'll interfere too much with the games if I'm quaking in my boots everytime we go into a basement. Do flaws have to be crippling or can they just be minor personality quirks?
>>
>>47012480

>Linking a guide that >implies that the one reading it knows about being a Wizard already.

If that nigga doesn't know the difference between an Abjuration and an Adder, then why are you going to give that link?

There's no "Dummies" guide to Wizard play. Just "advanced handbooks if you don't know enough". Even the players handbook is kind of shit at explaining every nuance of Wizardry.
>>
My party just asked to let them run through death house with level 3 characters, cause they hate level 1.

What's the easiest way to scale it up while keeping it incredibly difficult?
>>
>>47012415
>Evocation
Literally different colors of doing more damage or healing with very few exceptions; Faerie Fire is about the only seriously flavorful spell in the school

>Conjuration
Some nice stuff (Find Familiar, Misty Step, Arcane Gate) buried under a pile of trappy to moderately good options, some of which I'm pretty sure are still there just to troll with 3.5 players. Teleport is suicide again, except there's no TWE anymore. Gate can and absolutely will backfire.

>Illusion
DM Fiat: The school. Half the spells could be eliminated as literally just higher slot progressions of the level 1 version.

>Enchantment
Most of the good spells in the school will make people grab torches and pitchforks an hour down the line.

>Divination
A few useful spells, and then some really nice looking shit that can blow up in your face.

>Alteration
Some good shit. Some supposedly good shit that will backfire horribly.

>Necromancy
At this point it's a legacy school that could be rolled into Divination, Conjuration and Evocation were it not for the perceived need for a bad guy school.

I actually have a lot of difficulty finding spells above level 3 to like at all.
>>
>>47012553

>Evocation
>Conjuration

Nothing else matters unless you somehow have some kind of lame turbo-XP campaign to unlock options.

Then you can Illusion bullshit the game.

>Mostly walls.
>>
>>47012553

the problem with wizards as far as i can summarize: all the good spells are the ones that sound the worst, aside from early level burning hands.

grease, heat metal, cloud kill, misty step, web.

they're pretty grounded in reality compared to fire and lightning from your hands, but end up being a lot better than things that someone would actually want to do as a wizard.

and let's not forget the cantrip "5'x5'x5' box"
>>
>>47012553
Contingency is another major evocation spell that doesn't directly do damage unless that's changed this time around

And I'm not sure what you meant by alteration, but there's transmutation which is basically every buff you'd ever want and abjuration which is basically every defensive thing you'd ever want
>>
>>47012415
3.5 converts remember an edition where evocations were all terrible compared to save-or-suck/save-or-die spells. As a DM, I've seen Hold Person cast at 5th level lead to as much damage (through guaranteed critical hits from the martial characters) as any evocation can do while robbing the enemies of their ability to fight back.
>>
>>47012553

>I actually have a lot of difficulty finding spells above level 3 to like at all.

you can use arcane eye and unseen servant simultaneously since only one requires concentration.

you can see things around corners and interact with those things with the servant.
>>
>>47012527
>If that nigga doesn't know the difference between an Abjuration and an Adder, then why are you going to give that link?

the hardest part is picking spells. the rest isn't all that complicated and you can learn by doing. but there's a guide for that stuff too:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IeOXWvbkmQ3nEyM2P3lS8TU4rsK6QJP0oH7HE_v67QY/edit?pref=2&pli=1
>>
>>47012712
It's the thing really. I don't really even play wizards so idk how all their spells work, but as long as I get Misty Step, Faerie Fire and maybe Healing Word, I'm happy. Maybe throw in something to deal with mundane-immune creatures and I'm pretty much going to ditch any casting class at level 5 unless it has features to keep me in.
>>
>>47012791

the transmuter's stone at level 6 is cool. i think projected ward is neat too. both of those schools let you confer your class benefit to allies.
>>
>>47012553
>Enchantment
Hold Person, Hold Monster, and Otto's Irresistible basically guarantee the victim gets an ass-raping.

>Illusion
Hypnotic Pattern and Fear can auto-win some encounters by not letting your enemies retaliate to what the rest of your party does.
>>
>>47012851

>Hold Person, Hold Monster

why is this shit even allowed, honestly?
>>
>>47012851
IIRC it's pretty easy to break from Hypnotic Pattern, and Holds are concentration spells for relatively few targets. They're nice sometimes, but kinda niche.
>>
>>47012870
Because the 12 classes shouldn't all be variations on "does damage."

>>47012886
One player robs several creatures of their turn, and thus prevents tons of damage. I sure hope the enemies that pass their save waste their turn waking up their allies.

If you only ever fight hordes of weak creatures I guess I understand anyone would say enchantment is pointless.
>>
>>47012870
Because humanoids are often used for minions or lower level encounters, while hold monster works on everything
>>
>>47012886
Taking the toughest creature in the encounter out of the fight, providing advantage on attacks against it, and guaranteeing critical hits on it is probably worth concentration. Sometimes I think /tg/ never plays past level 6.
>>
>>47012990
Most people only get to level 10 or so.
>>
>>47012990
Based on polls this is pretty much true of most editions of D&D.

I've yet to reach level 10 in a 5e game and the closest I got to it was a campaign that started with Phandelver, and I think the one I'm starting in a month is probably going to be my first with intent to get to 10.

That said I'll take on the word of people who tried that it's a better spell than I give it credit for.
>>
>>47013001
5e is so much easier to deal with the high level stuff compared to 3.5 and 4e. The numbers stay manageably quick to play with except when casting Meteor Swarm.
>>
>>47013042
It's not just that, people never really went above that a lot. 2E had massive amounts of dedicated support for levels 3-10 but very little above. The highest level printed module I got is 8-12. Nobody really gave a shit when High-Level Adventures came out. Even in 1E few people ever got above that.

3.5 and 4e trying to drag the playerbase into playing the whole damn 20 levels partly by trying to make them sound normal and partly by pushing Epic bullshit was kind of a big break from AD&D.

There are 2E settings where the single most powerful non BBEG NPC is level 15.
>>
>>47013035
Has no one ever just started at a higher level to see what the play is like? The game is boring as shit to DM until about level 10 when the players have enough power to deal with more creative stuff.
>>
File: 1457888801250.jpg (44KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457888801250.jpg
44KB, 600x600px
>>47012990
>>47013001
>>47013035
>>47013042
>>47013095

>mfw "im planning a x-5/y-15"
>>
>>47013121
I actually like to DM lower level campaigns because they're usually the levels where my players do shit like try to beat up a werewolf with the silver candlestick in the mayor's office.

I kinda want to see a level 14-15 game that doesn't go above, just so we can play with all the archetype abilities unlocked.
>>
>>47013095
Levels weren't exactly the same back then. For some classes past 15 or so were just a point of hp
>>
>>47013178
High level HP bloat isn't going to sell me 3e+ high levels.
>>
>>47013305
I mean that they didn't gain anything else. Level 15 back then might have been closer to 20 in some ways
>>
Hey dudes and dudettes, so our GM in our circle of friends has finished our current campaign due to fatigue and burnout, so I want to try a hand at GMing something
Is Lost Mines a good and fun slog?
>>
>>47013162
Once you have those level 14-15 abilities, anything higher level isn't really more complicated to play. Have some fun fighting ancient dragons and balors and such, or let the DM have fun making custom monsters.
>>
>>47013095

>Even in 1E few people ever got above that.

You mean the edition that introduced stats for killing gods, and had an entire source book—one of the earliest—for doing just that?
>>
>>47013095
I've never met a DM who ran a printed module. Everything was custom and basically kept going until enough of the group wanted to move on. My 5e games have gone from 3 to 20 because the players never hit a point where things start to be a numerical slog.
>>
>>47013442
Every edition had that.

Everything TSR and Wizard ever did indicated that almost nobody played this shit as anything but guides to building religion and sample mythical characters. Hardly anyone ever played AD&D above early name level.
>>
>>47013499
I've been doing D&D organized play on large scales since the 90s. You're full of shit.
>>
>>47012272
Literally just Google "5e <class> handbook"
>>
>>47013532
Like with MtG, most players are kitchen gamers.
>>
>>47012791

>Missing out on lvl 7-9 spells

Shit son are you sure? Like if you want to just build a gish you can still be a Bladesinger
>>
>>47012415
wizard's job is literally everything but damage. Evocation is like getting a Green Lantern ring and only using it to make fists and hammers.
>>
>>47012542
Increase dcs, add creatures.
>>
>>47013612
i said if the features don't draw me in.

Wizard and Sorc features don't; Bard, Lock and Druid features sort of do. "More spells" isn't a feature to me. At level 9 only True Polymorph interests me and it's for the most pedestrian shit (who cares about becoming a dragon when you can literally be the perfect actor).
>>
File: index.jpg (7MB, 3750x4707px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7MB, 3750x4707px
Added brown cards now to solve some problems I had with the list.
>>
>>47013681

Then I wish I could give you some good advice, I just think we are on completely different ends of the spectrum. Like for examples to me Fighters are the dullest fucking thing in existence.

But hey different strokes. Best of luck to you

But I must ask how are spells not a feature to you?
>>
>>47012542

>My party just asked to let them run through death house with level 3 characters, cause they hate level 1.

>What's the easiest way to scale it up while keeping it incredibly difficult?

Are you serious? Tell them to get good.
>>
>>47013722
Long rest bound resources feel more like a hindrance than a boon at times.
>>
>>47013723
It's not a git gud sort of thing. Level one characters have basically no options.
>>
>>47013042
>>47013095
Does /5eg/ even know what it's talking about when it discusses 4e?

4e was stretched out over 30 levels and had a slower power progression than 3.X (but not as a slow as 5e's), and its epic tier rules were very manageable.
>>
>>47013784
Get them to level 2 before they get to the house as a compromise?
>>
>>47013638

>Wizard's job is literally everything but damage.

Not the anon you're looking for, but wasn't the "Wizard Problem" in older editions of DnD that they burned their powers for the day and were pretty much useless?

Sounds like to make the most of it, they had to do damage!

Any examples of how to be a non-damage Wizard effectively?
>>
>>47013938
Minor Conjuration+Find Familiar Deliver vital supplies to your allies.
>>
>>47013938
At least you still get full proficiency on shitty but serviceable weapons and cantrips.
>>
>>47012542

Lower levels suck, but are mandatory, if only as a filter to see who's there for only combat, and who's there to play the whole experience..
>>
>>47014028
With established groups like mine, you don't need to do that.
>>
>>47013938
This was solved with cantrips actually being good this time around.
>>
>>47013990

>Vital supplies
>...Disappears after 1 hour.
>...Disappears if it takes damage, or if the wizard uses this ability again.

So what, even if you delivered "a bucket of arrows", when one arrow snapped against an enemy, would it disappear before it did damage if a party Ranger shot it?

>The object must take the form of a non-magical item which the wizard has seen before.

So it's all mundane crap! Or can you like, be the party duplicator and just crank out vials of acid?
>>
>>47014094
well, notably you can use conjured healing kits. Conjured bombs.

Conjured alchemist fire.

Conjured caltrops (bags of them to beat the object limit)

etc, etc.
>>
>>47010826
Cantrips are only superior for characters that aren't fighters and are above level 11 for the next boost in power.

Even then, thats only for the SCAG cantrips. I am pretty sure I would just prefer to rage and get my attacks off as a barbarian instead of even doing something like Eldritch blast at 17th lvl.
>>
>>47012542
Scale it down instead. Have everything do half damage, attack at disadvantage, etc. If they want hugbox mode, give it to them.
>>
>>47014442
That doesn't sound fun for anybody.
>>
>>47014534

it's called DEATH HOUSE. if the threat of dying weren't huge there wouldn't be much of a theme, would there?
>>
>>47014567
They're not complaining about difficulty, just lack of fun.

I somewhat agree that level "i hit it with my sword again DM" 1 5e is kind of boring. Basically everyone is a martial at that level.
>>
>>47014567
Death House can still kill you at levels 2-3, easily. It barely doubles HP, doesn't raise proficiency, it just opens up Specializations.
>>
>>47014591
If "fun" is only to be had with additional special snowflake abilities gained at higher levels, why not just bypass xp entirely?

>four 12th level badasses stroll into the mists of Ravenloft
>...
>four 12th level badasses stroll out of Ravenloft with Strahd's head on a pike.
>>
>>47014567
It's a house with dead people in it. That's spooky, right?
>>
>>47014648
Level 3 isn't a "higher level" in the sense I think you mean. You're grossly exaggerating the position of my players.

Notably, they don't want to eliminate all progression, they just want to start at a level that opens up more options beyond basic combat.
>>
>>47014648
Don't you have another thread to piss and moan about things like Tieflings being core and rpgs being fun instead of grindfests where names like "Melf" made sense.
>>
>>47014693

>more options beyond basic combat.

Like what?
>>
>>47014807
Rogues get their first main class feature at level 3: mage hand ledgerdomain, or use objects on a bonus action, both of which can be game changing

Warlocks get their pact feature, which offers a magical weapon, an incredibly useful familiar, or three new cantrips.

Wizards get their first school feature at level 2, many of which offer new gameplay (minor conjuration <3).

I'm sure casters similarly get neat features by 3.

Couldn't tell you about martials. Nobody in my groups is really interested in paladins/barbs/fighters/rangers
>>
>>47014807
Every class gets their first archetype power.
Fighter gets their first feat.
Warlock gets their first Invocations
Half Casters get spells
Sorcerers get metamagic
Rogues have cunning actions
Bards get song of rest and their expertise
Druids get wildshape
>>
>>47014873
>Nobody in my groups is really interested in paladins/barbs/fighters/rangers

wat

How the hell do they survive even moderately difficult encounters
>>
>>47014946
Lots of kiting.
>>
>>47014946
In my game the main martial has been the monk
>>
>>47014965
Relying on that will eventually blow up in their faces, you realize?
>>
>>47014991
yeah, and I make it blow up in their faces. They're terrible heroes most of the time, because they usually run away from or end up doing work for the BBEG to keep him from potentially killing them.
>>
>>47014889

And Wizards get nothing :^)
>>
>>47015022
Ya'll motherfuckers need some paladins.
>>
>>47015104
they tried to play a paladin once.

The player ended up trying to kill the character because he didn't want to play him anymore, but didn't want to admit it to me.
>>
I'm a wizard with Staff of Magi, what school of magic is best :^ ) ? Don't ask how.
>>
>>47015531
Illusion.

You can make an illusion of anti-matter and then turn it real. :)
>>
> Tfw group of friends finishing up mines of phanelver soon
> Want to GM, but I can't tell if they're just a generally terrible group or need help/experience with the game
> Also never GMed or played before, but surfed /tg/ for a couple years
I've sat in on a few sessions and I'm pretty sure it's mostly GM incompitence, but I just don't know. I mean, they never roleplay and the players haven't haven't even read the rulebook, and the GM forgets shit half the time. But they're having fun.
>>
>playing paladin
>just did the werewolf quest (no idea what it's called, out of the spooky town)
>find magic whip, the one with alertness shit
>party agrees to give it to me, since I'm human and most of the party are elves, so they have trance
>I realize I'm becoming Simon Belmont
How can i further enforce this archetype? Carry around holy water?
>>
>>47015654
If they're having fun, how can you call it a failure, or incompetence?
>>
>>47015692
Die to a random bat
>>
>>47015710
Good idea. What's the DC for spotting a wall chicken?
>>
>>47015692
Holy Water
Maybe Martial Adept or DD (if you have the dex)
>>
There was this particular adventure style ran by someone but I can't remember the name of the adventure or anything about it. Instead of having an explored map, parties would move, hex by hex, into an uncharted land, discovering new locations and stuff. Also, the party wasn't always the same group of people, and everyone involved could speak to one another with the goal being to find treasure and seek glory.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
>>47016278
It's called a hex crawl.
>>
>>47015692
Hand axes and daggers for throwing.
Holy water for throwing.
Crosses for HOLY CROSSing.
>>
>>47016278
West Marches, there's a twitch group called Rollplay who have played for 30 something weeks. Pretty good you should look it up, the dm does a great job at it
>>
test
>>
>>47016392
you failed.
>>
>All this Wizard talk
>Conjuration shit.

If I were to say, make a crate of gold bars for another to forge along with a bunch of other metals...

When the hour is up on the Minor Conjuration that called the gold in, would the items forged (if they could be forged before the gold's expiration period), even if they're crap, disappear due to the rules of minor conjuration?
>>
>>47016457
I rule yes. Do you conjure a carriage and expect it not to turn back into a pumpkin at midnight?
>>
>>47016457
First time fire touches gold bar the whole thing disappears because lol damage

Any time the object takes damage it disappears, so that means no alchemist's fire or acid

You can do caltrops and ball bearings though
>>
>>47016859
Acid doesn't damage itself, so as long as you didn't make and then shatter a vial you should be fine.
>>
>>47015692
Like one anon said, carry around daggers and hand axes that are bathed in holy water or blessed by you or the cleric for throwing weapons. Holy water itself for throwing onto undead shit.

There are some "cross is OP"-tier magic items in Ravenloft if you guys look around for them.
>>
>>47016859
alchemist fire doesn't damage itself. Neither does gold being smelted. Damage is a very specific concept within the game, and has an extremely narrow definition.
>>
If you guys wanted to see a sort of arcane version of a Paladin (instead of divine smites, arcane force damage smites), how would you brew it up?

My first thought is to import over the Duskblade from 3.PF but that seems pretty difficult to do, as it's just a differently flavored Eldritch Knight and not a really unique thing all on its own.

Making just a better EK also seems bad, because it negates EK as an option (why play the shitty EK when I can cast spells and do arcane smites for novas).
>>
>>47016901
While probably true by RAW, things burning tends to do damage, and napalm just burns for a fucking long time.
>>
>>47016935
yeah, but napalm is designed to burn. I dunno man. I wouldn't say a conjured sword is damaged when it hits somebody, even though it probably dulled the blade a microscopic bit.

I wouldn't say napalm is damaged when it functions properly either.
>>
>>47016971
But its function involves intentionally becoming non-functional, similar to how a bomb is no longer what it was post detonation.
>>
>>47016928
Come up with a more focused themetheme, first. If all it is is a smiting wizard, take 2 levels of pally and the rest wizard or ek. If you actually have a concept not covered by that then that's different.
>>
File: ravenloft.jpg (171KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ravenloft.jpg
171KB, 1280x720px
>>47012542

There are 2 options that you can take with this:

1)Up all ability check dc's by 1 not associated with monsters. Throw in 2 more of all the common enemies before the secret attic stairs. Rose and Thorne should use the Ghost template just without the horrifying visage. Maybe give them an extra hit die and a +1 to hit and damage. Throw in 2 more swarms of centipedes in 23D. Throw in 1 Grick at 28. Replace the ghouls with Ghasts. throw 3 more shadows in 31. Replace the Ghast-parents with Wights at 34. Consider removing the Wights' bows to not break immersion. Consider giving the Shambling Mound 20 strength, 10 dex, and 18 con instead of what's on the template and adjusting the save dc's + hp accordingly. Finally, make the walls spawn more swarms of rats + make the spinning blades do another d6 damage if the house goes apeshit.

When it comes to rewards, maybe throw in a token 3rd level spell in the spellbook @ 34, 2 more health potions there, and an extra alchemist flask. Spatter some more gold if you like.

Concerning XP: Use combat xp; It should put you guys at level 4. If they kill the shambling mound, give them normal shambling mound xp. It might throw off the balance of the adventure, but If you and your party are adamant in running @ level 3 through this adventure, then this is what I would do in your situation. If they somehow avoid most of the combat, then put them at level 4 for a job well done.

The house already has deadly encounters even for a level 3 group (I.E the Shambling Mound).
I think the changes listed here might be a bit overkill, but the house seems designed to down a few careless adventurers. I think the changes here still capture the feeling of "oh fuck."

The other option:
2) Just let them do the curse of strahd starting at level 3. Less of a headache.
>>
>>47017062
>themetheme
I swear it's only done this since the last update, annoying as hell. Ugh.
>>
>>47016928
There's already 4 ways to build an arcane gish (Bladesinger, Skald, EK, Bladelock), 6 with UAs (College of Swords, Favored Soul). I don't think another is needed.
>>
Is there any way to effectively Glyph of Warding a spell that brings a creature back from the dead?
>>
>>47012272
protip: go here

http://ephe.github.io/grimoire/

It lets you see all the spells and effects, and you can sort them by class/level, so you don't spend half your character creation time flipping back and forth between the spell lists and spell descriptions.
>>
>>47016928
EK is cool because it can cast spells and attack during the same turn.

Give the arcane paladin ritual casting and feats that benefit from ritual casting, and you're golden.
>>
>>47017143
yes? just cast glyph of warding on resurrection or true resurrection or whatever. You just 2 spell slots high enough to cast the resurrection spell you choose to use.
>>
File: fantasy-art-image.jpg (613KB, 800x1056px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy-art-image.jpg
613KB, 800x1056px
So I heard that necromancer is the best wizard subclass. How can I max out my necromancer's potential?
>>
File: 1452386299819.jpg (3KB, 109x125px) Image search: [Google]
1452386299819.jpg
3KB, 109x125px
>>47010826
>Zendikar
>>
>>47017076

1 Thing to point out: The Wights have damage resistance to non-silvered weapons. Depending on how you feel, maybe throw in a token silver weapon. Or perhaps remove that aspect from the template. take your pick.
>>
>>47016928
The bard.

It was supposed to be the bard, but it went from half casting to full casting.

Grab the bard, give it half casting but medium armor to start, a fighting style, and then have Valor give more fighting styles and heavy armor.

Even if you don't do that, it's really easy to achieve with multiclassing paladin/wizard or Wizard/EK. Or some kind of pre-packaged multiclass where you pick features from those.
>>
>>47017265
IMO Half-Casting Bard needs slightly more rogue things to balance. It's basically a FMT without multiclassing, and with music replacing some of the T part.

It would probably have something that looks a lot like Deep Stalker as well in terms of casting (Deep Stalker has 16 instead of 11 spells at level 20), since Bard casting is pretty much enhanced in any way.
>>
Does the Zendikar Vampire's bite do Necrotic damage with sneak attack damage?
>>
>>47017467
It wouldn't do sneak attack damage because it's not finesse.
>>
>>47017201
Skeleton Army.
>>
>>47017476
Shit overlooked that. Could have been overpowered anyway with double proficiency on athletics and grappling.
>>
File: CoS.jpg (141KB, 1200x636px) Image search: [Google]
CoS.jpg
141KB, 1200x636px
>>
>>47014648
>>47014807
>>47014693
Having just recently gone through Death House, our whole strategy before entering the basement was basically
>Paladin takes Dodge action
>Rogue and warlock shoot arrows and Eldritch Blasts until the creature drops.
I mean, it wasn't terribly boring, but very dull as every round was the same, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>47017669
You think the dm would mix it up somehow, let someone sneak up on the blasters. Granted, I don't know the details of that event.
>>
>>47017484
>overpowered
Dude, it takes forever to turn shit into nulls, we already tried it in a game, it basically is a non combat feature if the group wants to wait for you and help you because you're going to need someone to stabilize the victim everytime.

Broken or not is a tedious feature that slows down the game unless the GM handwaves the whole process.
>>
>>47017910
Problem is, if he did that, then we would have surely died with level 1 health and low AC.
>>
>>47017467
Didn't know sneak attack becomes necrotic type whenever you want, bite deals 1 piercing + 1d6 necrotic, if you deal sneak attack it the damage type is piercing, not necrotic, so sure, you deal more damage, but you don't make the null creating process move faster.
>>
Whats a good way to try my players for criminal acts?

They did something that is probably for the best. But they were spotted by someone who, based on their point of view, thinks they saw the PCs murder a family and burn down that family's house... Twice.

I don't really want to try throwing them in jail, because that's boring as shit. Having an order of execution perhaps? With descriptions nearly matching their PCs but slightly off descriptions?
I was thinking that might give them some wiggle room to plead their innocence if they don't just try to run.

One of the party members is lawful good. How can I prep for his response? I'm sure they'll try to explain their situation, only they have zero proof because they burned down all their evidence.
>>
>>47018445
Send a Pally after them on a quest to bring them to justice.
>>
>>47018445
A writ for their arrest, guards might find them if they're in a large town or city.

After that, posters in taverns and other public places. It shouldn't be long before the PCs come across one.

Of course, "Wanted Dead or Alive" attracts bounty hunters who might be ready to fight the PCs to the death.

Otherwise, the guards fight them and throw them in jail (give them a reasonable chance to escape: bribing a guard, hiding a lockpick, fighting their way out, even a good ol' secret tunnel).

If all else fails, they're taken to court. Cue a trial session. Sentence might be execution (because they've had enough chances by now), or they could be sent on a dangerous quest to get their pardon.
>>
>>47018489
Lawful good PC is a pally. Might make for an interesting encounter.

>>47018523
Lots of good ideas, thanks.
>>
>bladelock
>DM says i cant summon my pact weapon as any melee weapon despite the rules specifically stating so
>stuck with a magical dagger

well then
>>
Hey, somebody posted about a stat gen method using 6d3 and a table to give corresponding stats. If I used 3d6 instead and just bumped up anything below 6 to 6 would that ruin the method?
>>
>>47017478
Fireball bait.

Seriously though skeleton army is still very effective. Just not in all situations. And the book keeping is a pain in the ass so make sure you clear it with your DM first if you are going to play this way.
>>
>>47018625
>>DM says i cant summon my pact weapon as any melee weapon despite the rules specifically stating so
what the fuck
ask him why not, and make him give a good reason.
if he someone has a good reason, ask him to let you respec because that's fucking bullshit
>>
>>47018639

You can check for yourself

http://rumkin.com/reference/dnd/diestats.php

You'd just be lopping off about 1 standard of deviation by doing this. I don't think it's game-breaking. If anything, it's practically the same and gives your players a slightly better edge at rolling 15+ than if you rolled 6d3.
>>
>>47018711
I'm really hopeless at maths concepts. You'd still get all the same point value right?
>>
>>47011050
>not suggesting the superior Swashbuckler/dragon sorcerrer

Swashbuckler raises your initiative by Cha mod at lvl 3 and enemies can't hit you back.
You get free concentration-less mage armour on top of it.
Top it of with taking defensive duelist so even when a misshap happens you are safe in melee.
Then proceed to take 11 fighter levels as battlemaster for extra attacks. Spend zhe other 4 levels on whatever like bard if you want support or continue with sorc/rogue for better SA or Spells/metamagic.
>>
>>47018731

Yeah, it doesn't change much. You're just giving them a safety net, and the chances of a 17 or 18 popping up (since with 3d6 there's about 150 combinations (1 of which would be 18) and with 6d3 there's about 500 combinations (1 of which would be 18).
>>
>>47018797
Alright cool. Thanks man, I just can't comprehend math well. Give me literature and I'll gulp it down but fuck numbers.
>>
>>47018797
To be more concise: Their stats using 6d3 will average out to be around 12. They will very rarely go to 18 or 17 (1/100 chance). With doing 3d6 change <6 to 6, you'll still get the same splatter with an 18 or 17 (2/50 chance). If you really want characters with 2 15's, go with 6d3. If you want characters to have a higher chance of getting 18, 17, or 16 and have a few flaws, go with your method of 3d6 and change all low values to 6.
>>
>>47010961
>go 5 Martial first
>realize there's nothing for your class between 5 and 11, or at least 7 and 11
>also realize you'll never reach 11
>multiclass into a caster
>>
>>47018855
Once again, thanks man. I do kind of feel like if someone hits all 12s though, they're gonna be annoyed but I like rolling on principle. Meh. I'll give them one re-roll I think just so if a guy gets flat stats they can have another try.
>>
>>47018922
>reroll if stat total is less than 70
Not hard.
>>
>>47018953
Stat total should always be the same because of the table. You only roll 3 times and then get the corresponding number from the table. Roll a 6 and get an 18 and so on.
>>
File: conan assaults castle ravenloft.jpg (1MB, 1207x1167px) Image search: [Google]
conan assaults castle ravenloft.jpg
1MB, 1207x1167px
>>47015692
Get rid of your pants and wear a leather skirt.
THROWABLE WEAPONS.
Become a walking encyclopaedia of folklore and old wives' tales as they relate to monsters; carry a shitload of garlic, laurels, wolfsbane, and other assorted herbs.
Hum your own theme music while in combat (or get a Bard to do it for you).
Become deathly afraid of waist-high water.
>>
I have no idea what's going on in the game I'm running any more. Super buff mini-boss type fights? Fucking walk in the park for my players. 4 Violet Fungi who were supposed to just soften them up a little? Downed the rogue and nearly downed the barbarian while doing appreciable damage to the cleric. I have no idea how to plan around this nonsense.
>>
>>47019031
At level 1/2?
>>
>>47015707
Well, that's kinda my point. They're not using half the rules and they're playing it like a video game, but they're having fun. I don't want to trod all over that.
>>
>>47019031
If your DM keeps throwing bullshit encounters at you, cheese the fuck out of them. Have the entire party move backwards each round and fire with ranged weapons. If the DM starts taking Dash actions to catch up, have the tankiest character break off, equip a shield (if possible), and Dodge the whole time. Another option is to let a caster with Misty Step move off to the side away from the party so the creatures bee-line for them instead, then teleport back to the group having successfully diverted.

If the DM starts having every monster immediately run for the squishiest non-teleporters, ask him how the fuck a bunch of slimes and giant squirrels got smart enough to identify the capabilities of various humanoids and use tactics.
>>
I'm going to DM my first 5E game soon, any good premade module I should read for my first adventure ?

Also, any tips ?
>>
>>47019175
Is your party playing for the first time too? Then go with Lost Mines of Phandelver from the 5e starter set.
>>
>>47019112
I think you misunderstood, he is the dm and the parties competence is highly variable.

The only simple solution I see is to keep battles small and scalable. If they do real well throw down some backup.
>>
>>47019215
Yes, I think they all are mostly coming back from older editions. I'm organizing something for people at work since it's full of nerds.

Is that a book or ?
>>
>>47018985
>tfw someone is trying out my stat gen method

Let me know how it goes anon. I'm gonna get my group to try it out soon too!
>>
>>47019112
Pretty sure he is the DM and is complaining the game is difficult to balance encounters.

Sounds like you have a lot of trouble with adversarial DMs. As a DM I just adjust things on the fly by throwing in another random monster to join the fight midway if it makes sense. Air on the side of going easy for fights that are meant to be easy to medium difficulty.

If they're meant to be tough, I fucking make them tough. And reward them accordingly. I don't believe there are "bullshit" encounters unless you are obviously fudging rolls or somehow surprising the characters when it makes no sense for them to be surprised.

As a DM your goal is for the players to have fun, because when you have fun they have fun. If your players are cheesing everything and they're having fun doing that, then as a DM I'd probably laugh along with them. But if they're bored as fuck doing these kinds of tactics then that's not fun for the entire group.

>>47019031
You don't need to plan around it. If the players fuck up and cause disaster, roll with it. If they roll well and fuck up a mini boss, then find a way to make them feel heroic. Add some element after the fact (some kind of hint or some shit) that if they hadn't fucked him up as quickly as they did shit would've gotten way more serious. This can help them feel accomplished.
>>
>>47019811
Where's the table for it? I'd like to check it out myself.
>>
>>47016859

So is that all a conjure wizard is? Ball bearings, captions, and perhaps a key or counterfeit gold coins?
>>
>>47019031
fights with multiple opponents are usually much harder than fights with single opponents, unless you give the single opponent legendary actions.

Think about it this way: a fair fight will generally be one in which the enemy takes exactly as many actions as the party does. You can deviate from this if you want, but going too low on the actions just means your fight will fall apart to any spell that successfully disables the enemy. So if you want to do super buff mini boss type guys, give them legendary actions.
>>
>>47019843
but isn't the minor conjured shit always faintly glowing

I don't think many NPCs would be willing to accept glowing gold coins. Unless maybe... you convince them they're magic (which they technically are).
>>
Martials are U S E F U L
>>
So I'm looking to kind of capture a bit of Dark Souls in the campaign I'm about to start up. The world no longer has permanent death due to the Raven Queen being dead(like the other gods) and I was thinking that with player death, they'll just revive 1d6 minutes later with a negative level. Does that seem balanced enough?
>>
>>47019835
Ill just repost the system

Roll 6d3 (or 3d6, rerolling any total less than 6). repeat 2 more times. You should have 3 numbers between 6 and 18 now.

Convert each number using this table:
18:6
17:7
16:8
15:9
14:10
13:11
12:12

The table flows both ways, so a 6 turns into an 18, and a 17 turns into a 7.

You should have six numbers now. Those are your stats. Assign them where you will.

So for instance, say I rolled 18, 7, 9

I would generate my 3 additional numbers: 6, 17, 15, making my total stat array 18,17,15,9,7,6

The average stat will always be exactly 12 with this system, and thus the stat total will always be the same, so players should be mostly as powerful as each other, while still having variance.

You can also do it with a less extreme roll: 8d2 (coin flips), or 4d4 dropping rolls lower than 8. If you do that, the table is the same, just lop off the top two entries with 17s and 18s.
>>
>>47019917
Yep, someone has to be the meatshield so the casters can shine
>>
>>47020107
Why are you doing half-level for wizard when it says all levels for bard,cleric, druid, sorceror, and wizard?
>>
>>47020162
Oh fuck I just completely misread it like a retard.
Disregard that I suck cocks.
>>
Light domain cleric here, I'd like some opinions on lighting up my mace! I figure I could either cast Light on my mace every hour that I need it (Since it's a cantrip I can spam it as much as I want) and it has a decent radius of light. OR I can cast continual flame on my mace once and always have a torch on hand for when I need it (plus it'll probably look baller).

The cons of light is that I have to keep renewing it every hour, that means after rests, possibly in the middle of combat etc. Cons of continual flame is if I need to sneak around, I better find a way to hide it someplace or be forced to dispell it manually and cast it again costing me 50 gp.

Thoughts?
>>
>>47019943
that's how I was guessing it worked!
I like the concept because I like characters being powerful and having flaws. Prevents shit like characters getting too lucky with rolls while others end up getting really shitty rolls. In this case the average is completely even as you said.
I'd probs let my PCs roll twice for two arrays and let them pick the one they want. In case someone gets unlucky and rolls flat stats. If they happen to roll two sets of completely flat stats that's just fate.
>>
>>47020282
I'd probably stick to light and tell the DM, unless you mention otherwise that you're recasting it.

For me as DM that's what I'd do anyway. It slows down play and just seems silly to keep mentioning it. But leave it on you the player to remember to tell me if you dispell it. Otherwise I will assume there's a light coming from your mace at all times once you initially cast it. That way you, as a player, can't say "no they couldn't see me because I didn't have the light up!" When last you mentioned it you had the light up. It's a cantrip, so it's not taking much effort from you. I would probably also assume it goes out when you take a long rest and wouldn't assume it comes back until you mention recasting it.

I wouldn't be such a faggot DM to tell you "lol it just so happens your light goes out on your mace right in the middle of this fight that only lasts a minute or two." That's just fucking dumb.
>>
>>47017569
apt

After five levels of getting shat on by encounters we started kicking ass. Good times
>>
>>47020475
Sounds good, I doubt my DM would be counting light turns for that long too. One last question, if I cast scorching ray at an enemy and an ally is in my line of sight, do they get scorched too and need to roll dex saves and all that?
>>
>>47020587
RAW, if there's an ally in the way, the enemy gets the benefit of cover. Up to your DM if a miss translates into ally being targeted. There's no such clause in the books.
>>
Am I being a whiner for thinking I should be able to add my spellcasting modifier to the damage roll, or should I just be happy as is that I can cast d10+ attacks at range?
>>
Rolled 20, 5, 15, 18, 10, 16 = 84 (6d20)

>not rolling 6d20 down the line for stats while beforehand declaring race and class
It's like this general is full of plebs.

High Elf Arcane Trickster Rogue
>>
>>47012775
Still has to be within 60' of you though.

>>47013162
>beat up a werewolf with the silver candlestick in the mayor's office.
ClueD&D

>>47014873
Barb has rage from level 1. Fighter has second wind at 1. Pally has lay on hands at 1, spells at 2. Rogue has cunning action at 2. Ranger has spells at 2. Monk has Ki at 2. Everything else is hit it again. If the class isn't interesting enough at 2, 3 honestly doesn't change much.
>>
>>47020790
Consistent damage is a martial exclusive thing, you have spells, dont whine because cantrips are meh
>>
>>47016885
You want them silvered. It's pricy, but worth it for style.
>>
>>47020790
What spell/cantrip?
Just in case you're whining about eldritch blast so I can call you a faggot.
>>
>>47020922
Because there's an invocation for that specifically, I mean, which adds your charisma to it.
And if you're another class wanting this ability roll a fucking warlock. That's their thing.
>>
>>47018625
Did you actually find a magic dagger? Because you can't change the form of a real magic weapon, just the pact summoned weapon.
>>
File: 1461424114006.jpg (159KB, 665x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1461424114006.jpg
159KB, 665x1200px
I am thinking of doing an Ice mage build, would Wizard or Sorcerer be better for this?
>>
>>47016928
The "Paladins" of Dark Sun, enforcers of the Sorcerer Kings.
>>
>>47020829
Bards get their first college feature at 3, expertise, and their first second level spells.

Clerics: 2nd level spells. Also, going from 1-2 they gain channel divinity and their first divine domain feature.

Druids get 2nd level spells at 3, and going from 1-2 they get wildshape. and pick a druid circle.

Monks get their monastic tradition at 3, and going from 1-2, they get ki.

Sorcerers get metamagic at 3, and their first 2nd level spells.

Warlock gets their pact boon at 3 (familiars and cantrips are the most gamechanging, though blade is okay) At 2 they get invocations, which can be gamechanging (I like the silent image at will one) Also, their spellslots go to level 2 at level 3.

Wizards get level 2 spells at 3, and at level 2 they get their first arcane tradition.

IMO, for casters at least, going from 2-3 makes a difference, and going from 1-3 makes a huge difference. It's only martials that are sort of meh.
>>
>>47021051
Go sorcerer for sure. You'll want to cast less spells in general as you're gonna be trying to stick to an ice-theme, right? Might as well cast them more powerfully.
>>
>>47019934
>with a negative level.
What's a negative level?

Give them one of those rest it off raise dead penalties, whatever they are.
>>
>>47021076
Ok, but those are all improvements in things you could already do by level 2.

IOW, level three is just bigger numbers, you powergaming fuck. ;)
>>
>>47021223
>IOW, level three is just bigger numbers, you powergaming fuck. ;)

Actually, that's level 4 without feats.

It literally is just bigger numbers in that case.
>>
Are there any ways by RAW to ignore elemental immunity? Wondering because of this guy >>47021051

What other types of damage would you deal if not in case? Of course, I don't think cold immunity is necessarily common. I can just imagine a situation that would be unfortunate.

I know elemental adept can ignore resistances. But I don't think that applies to immunity, right?
>>
>>47019961
say what you want, but the half orc champion fighter in our game is a whirlwind of death and hatred.
>>
>>47021290
>Are there any ways by RAW to ignore elemental immunity?

yeah, it's called Chromatic Orb.

>What other types of damage would you deal if not in case? Of course, I don't think cold immunity is necessarily common. I can just imagine a situation that would be unfortunate.

See above.

>I know elemental adept can ignore resistances. But I don't think that applies to immunity, right?

Right.
>>
>>47021302
Yeah in my game the fighter deals a shit ton of damage as they should.
>>
>>47021326
>yeah, it's called Chromatic Orb.
Wait you mean you'd just change the orb to another type, right? That's fine. It doesn't actually ignore the immunity though.
>>
>>47021368
it does by not being the type of damage the target is immune to.
>>
>>47021384
Martials are U S E F U L
but lack V A R I E D G A ME P L A Y.
>>
>>47021384
Do you think you're being clever?
>>
>>47021404
not saying this is a perfect solution but: Grab a feat, they are actually pretty good and can provide some much needed utility.
>>
>>47021457
Yes. If you want to get around enemies immune to your specialized element, and don't want to take any spells that are "off element" then obviously pick the one fucking spell that can be on or off element as you see fit.

In my group we have a fire mage. Guess what? He took chromatic orb, because it does fire damage, and he can still blow the dicks off of fire immune things. It's not that hard, guys.
>>
>>47021495
You're stupid because that's not the question they asked. The question was if there is a way to ignore immunity. As in deal cold damage to a cold immune creature. Not to simply get around it by casting something of another type. Because that's fucking obvious as you said.
>>
>>47010826
2 Goblins VS 2 noobs, Cleric of life, and a fighter.
>>
>>47019934
Negative levels don't exist.

I'm about to run a campaign with a similar easy resurrection theme (because of plot reasons, its easy to bring people back). I don't have it on auto-res(its a 1st level spell instead). But instead of monetary costs I make it cost time. Use levels of exhaustion and/or the raise dead penalties.
>>
>>47021538
and thus the answer is, to get around cold immunity, don't deal cold.
>>
>>47012492
I have a Minotaur Tempest Cleric and play him with an incredibly short temper as a flaw which I feel works well with the class.
>>
>tfw SCAG tieflings are perfect for Bladesinger but only elves can bladesing
Man, well, I'll have to settle for AT
>>
I heard that the combat encounter making guidelines in DMG are sort of fucked, does anyone have a formula to make them properly, or am I in the wrong and the DMG is actually ok?
>>
>>47021954
Say, "Hey DM can I play a Tiefling bladesinger?"
If they say no, then pick something else. Why not try? Does shitty lore matter, especially if its a homebrew setting?
>>
>>47012990
The Holds are great; if the target fails their save then your Battlemaster / Paladin / whatever can probably burn their resources to nova it down. I'm playing a Battlemaster right now and at ninth level a successful paralysis pretty much guarantees a kill if I've got Action Surge and my superiority dice up.
>>
>>47022053
>Why not try?
Oh, I'll, but I pretty much know the answer already. He's a RAW guy till RAW favous players, then he uses RAI.
>>
I'll start to play as a Paladin today, the character is under a curse that he can't talk about it (like in the Howl's Moving Castle movie): His brother take over the kingdom making he looks like the bad guy.

Now he want a way to break the curse and bring his brother to justice.

Need tips to roleplay it, and also which kind of Oath would be better for this Paladin?
>>
>>47022151
oath of vengeance
>>
>>47020950
No, I just though it'd make sense to add either the modifier or proficiency to a damage die for a spell like it is for martials, but I'm not complaining anymore.
>>
>>47022151
OATH OF VENGEANCE MOTHER FUCKER

if his brother really is a bad guy
>>
>>47018073
Dealing extra damage makes the null creation slower and that's the only reason to use the bite, so it's pointless.
>>
>>47022162
>>47022180
And how to roleplay this situation?
>>
>>47019934
Nah, that sounds awful.

Make them all Revenants from the Gothic UA.
>>
>>47021692
The best way to get rid of an enemy is to make him your friend. To get around cold immunity, don't fight things that are immune to cold.
>>
>>47022247
It depends greatly on how you were kicked out of your kingdom, what exactly he did, and what brought you to the place are you now.

Are you ashamed of being kicked out?
Hiding your identity?

Are you trying to convince people of your innocence, and his guilt, and trying to incite a rebellion to take back your kingdom?

Decisions, friend. Decisions.
>>
>>47022283
In order to not lose a fight, make sure that you win it instead.
>>
How strong is a null? I don't have access to the MM but are zombies a template? if you kill something strong do you get a strong null?
>>
>>47022295
His brother is his twin and also a Mage. In his 18 years celebration his brother controlled him and made him kill his father with a dagger in front of all those who were in the celebration.

His brother tried to "save the king" and become a hero.
>>
>>47022283
someone add this to the memes list
>>
>>
>>47022386
What was his punishment? Did they exile him or did he run away?

If he simply fled he's probably needing to hide his identity in some way. If he doesn't need to hide who he is, his kingdom either wasn't very large or is really far away.
Either way he probably has a thing against enchantment and other forms of magic that causes others to act against their will. Probably doesn't like daggers either.

How long ago did this happen? Is his brother more powerful now than before? Will he seek out other powerful spellcasters to aid him in his quest to retake his kingdom?
>>
>>47022459
His brother was "merciful" enough to exile him, but people were asking for his head. But his brother cast the curse on him, he wouldn't be able to tell anyone what really happen there.

This happened a decade ago.
>>
>>47022490
He can't tell anyone what happened there...
Can he write it down? :^)
>>
>>47020821
20(+5) STR
5(-3) DEX [+2 racial bonus] = 7 (-2) DEX
15(+2) CON
18(+4) INT (+1 racial bonus) = 19(+4) INT
10(0) WIS
16(+3) CHA

Grappling arcane trickster it is!
Background: Sage
Innate Spellcasting Cantrip: Green-Flame Blade

We're going to need Heavy Armor to compensate for that shit Dex score. I'm thinking

multiclass for medium armor proficiency and then take the Heavily Armored feat or take the

Moderately Armored feat and then the Heavily Armored feat. If I multiclass I miss out on

Stroke of Luck (not a huge deal really) and nothing else. If I do the two armor feats

then I miss out on one feat. I think that multiclassing is the better option here, and

I'll go for Fighter - get a Fighting Style and Second Wind.

Fighting Style: Dueling, since we're going to be grappling (one hand not holding a weapon)

and sneak attacking (main handing a finesse weapon).

Skills (*Expertise):
Racial
>Perception*
Class
>Athletics (STR)*
>Investigation (INT)*
>Performance (CHA)
>Daunt (STR)*
Background
>Arcana
>History

ASI/Feats:
Level 4, Grappler
(Multiclass into Fighter for one level after Rogue 4)
Level 8, Heavily Armored
Level 10, Tavern Brawler
Level 12, Resilient (Constitution -> CON=16(+3))
Level 16, Observant (INT=20(+5))
Level 19, Charger or Warcaster (should be neat to dash while grappling and shove prone)

Arcane Trickster Spells (*Non-school restricted spells from 1st, 8th, and 14th level):
>>
>>47022503
Nope.
>>
>>47022505

Cantrips
>Create Bonfire
>True Strike
>Mage Hand
>Booming Blade
(Racial: Green-Flame Blade)

1st Level:
>Feather Fall*

2nd Level:
>Invisibility
>Crown of Madness (Crowd control. If grappling a target and another foe enters the picture, we can cast this on him and force him to attack his buddy and more importantly, not attack us)
>Phantasmal Force

3rd Level:
>Fly* (Grapple, fly up as high as possible, landing sneak attacks every round, if

concentration is broken, cast Feather Fall on self and let the target fall)
>Fear (Will be handy to force a target we intend to grapple to drop his weapon and become

frightened)
>Hypnotic Pattern
>Find Steed
>Haste*

4th Level:
>Greater Invisibility
>Phantasmal Killer
>Confusion
>>
>>47022505
Not bad at all.
>>
>>47022510
So he can't communicate it in any way?

Have him lie and say he's the true king. The current king is an imposter that must be killed. He altered everyones memories to make them think he's your brother and HE murdered your father.

He didn't tell the truth about what happened, and didn't mention his curse.

Unless the curse is so fucking vague that your intention is him to be completely fucked. In which case, have fun trying to work out a solution.

My recommendation is to write out the curse, exactly as the brother reasonably would have cast it. That way if anyone comes up with a solution you don't say "well no because reasons."
>>
File: grapple rogue 2 health.png (31KB, 316x274px) Image search: [Google]
grapple rogue 2 health.png
31KB, 316x274px
>>47022531
And here's his health rolled up (let me know if I fucked anything up).

>>47022536
Thanks! I spent more time on this than I should have though, aha.
>>
>>47022371
>I don't have access to the MM
It's in the OP.

Zombie is a creature and fairly weak.
>>
>>47022913
I know it's in the OP, but I shouldn't look, I'm not a GM.
>>
>>47022966
>not reading the PHB
Kill yourself.
>>
>>47023027
Wait, it's in the PHB? I thought it was in the MM, pag?
>>
Official Class Tier list, based on a combination score of how good the class is if your GM actually does a 33.33/33.33/33.33 split between combat/social maneuvering/exploration, and how fun they are generally.

>Elder God Tier
Arcane Trickster Rogue
Warlock, Pact of the Chain/Tome
Non Valor Bards
Arcana Cleric

>Minor God Tier:
Wizard
Sorcerer
Druid

Demigod Tier:
Warlock, Pact of the Blade
Cleric (non War, Arcana varieties)
Thief Rogue

Heroic Tier
Monk
Battlemaster
Assassin Rogue
Valor Bard

Peasant Tier
Beast Master Ranger
Paladin
Eldritch Knight

Shit Shit Shit tier
Ranger
Barbarian
Champion Fighter
War Cleric
>>
>>47023062
Last pages
>>
>>47010826

Anyone ever played an Evocation Wizard? Is it worth going? My character just left our party and I'm trying to decide on a new one.
>>
>>47023084
>Wot4e not in shit tier
what?

>Bladelock demigod tier
Kek
>>
File: 1450141815315.gif (328KB, 1000x773px) Image search: [Google]
1450141815315.gif
328KB, 1000x773px
>>47023084
>I posted a tier list with scarcely defined criteria
>Surely this will spark intellectual discussion and not shitposting
>>
Question about languages
There is primordial and auran listed in the EE supplement, from what i have read auran, ignan, aquan and terran are inclueded in primordial, so knowing primordial means you can speak all four of those?
Been trying to find an official answer but google failed me, and well i wanted to convince my GM to make it so knowing primordial means i can communicate with creatures that speak auran, ignan, aquan and terran, else knowing primordial is worthless the second a monster language isnt listed as primordial, but one of the other 4 instead
>>
>>47023200
They're dialects of it.
>>
>>47023110
Wot4e gets better the less combat is emphasized in a campaign. That's my reasoning at least.
>>
>>47022005
bump.
>>
>>47023289
There's a problem though, the less combats the less rests people are going to get (because Hit Dice and other per short rest features are combat wise) so you're going to have less uses for your defining class features
>>
What if we just let Rangers Nature-Smite?
Deals Lightning/Cold/Acid instead of Radiant. Bonus damage applies to Undead and Aberrations (no Fiend).
>>
>>47023348
Not necessarily. You can do noncombat encounters. In fact, I would encourage that practice for any DM.
>>
>>47017133
>Skald
Where exactly is the Skald?
>>
>>47023403
Sure you can, but almost any other class that uses short rest will not need to rest because they didn't spend short rest features (because almost all shor rest features are combat based) so you basically have a monk asking the party to wait 1 hour for him
>>
>>47023444
>Where exactly is the Skald?
Nordic bards.
>>
>>47023455
You might as well say wizards suck for the same reason: every combat encounter they have to use class features (spells etc), while warlocks and martials have unlimited usage of eldritch blast and attacks respectively.

It's silly logic.
>>
>>47019031
The way to do (mini)boss fights is to treat a single creature as several enemies who share the same space. You give the same creature several entries in the initiative slot and spread all the actions and abilities around to these different (on your sheet, anyway) creatures. Each enemy has separate health pools, and reducing one of them to zero kills it, robbing the primary creature (still alive) of whatever attacks or abilities it had. This happens behind the scenes unless you're using some kind of monster with a shitload of limbs or heads or something that the party might want to focus fire (like, a chimaera); a normal human run this way still has multiple creatures but the party doesn't pick and choose which one they hit, you just kill them off one at a time.

This way the boss doesn't have to blow an entire round on trying to escape a grapple or resisting a save, but he's not getting out of it for free like a Legendary action and is still giving up at least one attack. He can move around repeatedly and attack multiple party members in a round, so you don't have to worry about blowing the fuck out of a front-liner because you've given this boss three attacks and he's only going to focus them on the guy in his face.

As for the other problem, just tweak the monster stats down or have them use less useful alternate attacks if it becomes apparent you've overtuned what was supposed to be a trivial fight or your dice are on fire. If the party doesn't know their HP because they haven't killed one yet, lower the HP and they're none the wiser. You could also have individual enemies run away when they get low instead of sticking around to fight, if they're the kind of creature for which morale or the value of life means something.
>>
>>47023528
Wizards have many more spells per day than a wot4e monk without rests.
>>
>>47021954
>only Elves can be Arcane Archers
nah, houserule that shit son
>>
>>47023475
I know what a Skald is, anon was implying there's a character option named Skald
>>
So. I'm going to start a 5e campaign soon.
This is what the players lined up with:
Human Fighter
Goliath Fighter
Half-Elf Paladin
Human Wizard

What do I need to keep in mind when DM-ing these guys?
>>
>>47023528
But cantrips aren't shit tier anymore. It's not like a Wizard out of spells is missing with their crossbow all combat.
>>
>>47023599
It's under the Bard tree, one of the paths they can go.
>>
>>47023602
The Paladin is a cheeselord and the Goliath is going to try and throw everything. Shit on the former and let the latter throw things for more than 1d4 damage.
>>
>>47023642
How bad will the Paladin get?
The guy behind the Goliath said his intentions were mostly "cleave everything with big great-sword".
>>
>>47023642
Why are paladins always such faggots?
One of my PCs is a paladin and his personality is all over the place. Causing party problems, saying the war cleric is bloodthirsty, while simultaneously being a hypocrite and shamelessly murdering the same enemies.
>>
>>47023581
They get a ton of uses of Shape the Flowing water, which in my experience is pretty insane utility. Elemental Attunement is fun too.
>>
>>47023692
Same way tieflings are edgy, dragonborn are mary sue, rogues are lolrandum, fighters are unimaginative faggots, barbarians are murderhobo, clerics&druids&wizards are powergamers and monks are weebs
>>
>>47023699
>A ton
1/level if you have no short rests, wizards have way more spells
>>
>>47023692
Because no one can tell the difference between a Paladin and a Crusader, and now that the Paladin class actually shits damage everywhere, everyone wants to play them as the latter (an abrasive, holier-than-thou shitkicker that makes you wonder what a divine font could possibly have seen in them). Blame videogames and related IPs like Warcraft (particularly WoW) and W40k for exacerbating MUH CRUSADES AND DIVINE JUSTICE mentality.

>>47023672
He's a Half-Elf, which is the biggest red flag.
>>
something something generalizations something
>>
>>47023726
>monks are weebs

I called dibs on rolling the monk we decided not to overlap classes so my weeb friend wouldn't. I'm playing him as a pimp with a killer back-hand.
>>
>>47023692
I've had a few cool Paladins. I reward my players based on their originality, if someone wants to play the cookie cutter version they typically don't last long in my games.

"Moral encounters" really make a difference.
>>
>>47023745
It's an encounter shaping ability, and you get 1/level on a short rest. That's actually pretty good anon.
>>
>>47023726
>tfw all the weebs in my party are the Fighters and Barbarians
They're not yelling out attack names YET, but they're close. and it's totally okay
>>
>>47023748
>He's a Half-Elf, which is the biggest red flag.
All right. Why? The +Cha stuff?
>>
>>47023444
College of Valor
>>
>>47023785
No, if you play a monk you're a weeb, there's no escaping this

>>47023800
I said all monks are weebs, but not all weebs are monks
>>
>>47023809
Yeah, if your race and class have synergy you're a cheeselord
>>
>>47023821
>No, if you play a monk you're a weeb, there's no escaping this
No... no... it's not true. Not me. fuuuuuuck
>>
>>47023692
That's some knight templar shit right there.
>>
>>47023838
Eh. I don't agree with that necessarily.
It makes sense to have synergy with your race. But if your race and class have synergy and your backstory makes no fucking sense for your class and race, then yeah, probably a faggot.
>>
>>47023863
>It makes sense to have synergy with your race
Powergamer detected
>>
>>47023876
Why? Why would a race full of generally stronger folk not produce martial classes?
Why would a bunch of high elves not study magic if they have an affinity for it?

Does everyone need to be a wizard dwarf?
>>
>>47023876
I bet people love it when you bring your Drow fighter out to play in your buddies above ground campaign, where things are usually done in the daylight. Sure makes everyone feel like they aren't carrying around a useless sack of shit, I'm certain.
>>
>>47023809
It's the perfect package of skills, Darkvision, the Fey Ancestry stuff, extra language, and being a bastard race. The +Cha is no more important for a Paladin than a race that gives +2 in some other stat they might care about.

All that stuff just screams "I want more stuff, let me dominate the non-combat encounters". There's being the party face, and then there's being the party face, leader, brain, and two other roles he's going to invent before anyone realizes it.

This is the guy who, when your party stumbles across the missing knight patrol, suggests stripping them of their arms and armour to sell in the next town over. He's going to have a wagon for trade goods and will be writing down details in an OOC journal because his character has a memory like a steel trap (but he's not taking that feat, fuck you). If you're playing a premade campaign, he has the PDF on his phone and is reading ahead.
>>
>>47023863
>>47023838
Eh, child of a Fae champion. Taking up his father's blade and continue his work.
There was no Fae-touched race, so he chose Half-Elf.
Should I recommend him taking Human instead?
>>
>>47023838
>>47023876
Do people actually think this? So when I play a barbarian, I should take a halfling or a gnome because le irony xD? It would be powergaming to choose a brutish, tanky race as a barbarian? Hell no. If a goliath becomes a warrior, it's only logical that he would end up taking barbarian levels because that is the class that suits his build and disposition.

Similarly elves are not raging angry meatheads, an elf wouldn't normally take barbarian levels if they became a warrior, they would probably take fighter, rogue, spellcaster.
>>
>>47023918
But there's nothing unusual about Dwizzards. They're both great and plentiful, in fact.
>>
>>47013638
>Green Lantern ring
>only using it to make fists and hammers
Guy Gardener would like a word.
>>
>>47023952
Yeah the Paladin in my group despite having an intelligence of 6 always seems to be good at remembering things and formulating full plans.
>>
>>47023985
That's what he's saying. You COULD use it to make a fucking Ingram, but if you're an unimaginative dolt (the kind who loads their Wizard up with damage-dealing spells) it's akin to only making hammers.
>>
>>47023955
No, let him do what he wants. He has fae ancestry after-all.

If he becomes an annoying prick and tries to overshadow the party in everything. Make something bad happen to him. You're the DM. You can fuck anyone over at any time.
>>
>>47023998
That's just the DM not supporting the nature of the stats.

6 intelligence is mentally retarded.
>>
>>47024043
It's not the DM's fault. It's more like the player is just shit at roleplay. You can only say "dude, your character probably wouldn't think to say that" so many times before it annoys everyone if the player doesn't want to adjust his shit.
>>
>>47024029
Having Fae ancestry is like handing the DM several decks of "Fuck Me Over" cards.
>your distant relations keep showing up to "borrow" your shit, embroil you in their petty planar squabbles, summon you instead of several squirrels when they cast Summoning spells and immediately thrust you into combat against some slobbering treebeast, and invisibly pants you while you're having an audience with some noblemen
>>
>>47023998
It fucking blows that players have to choose between being good at the thing their class does or being either reasonably intelligent, personable, and aware.

You wanna be a stronk rogue?
>you're gonna need dex and strength
>now choose between wis, int, and cha
>in other words: moron, autist, clueless; choose two

But if you're a spellcaster, oh boy:
>Your spellcasting ability modifier (your damage stat) IS intelligence, wisdom, or charisma
>you get to be powerful and high damage output AND good in social situations
>so pump dex for AC, con is whatever, strength is whatever, go ahead and choose another mental stat to be good at and the other one will be just reasonable.

>D&D 5e
Where spellcasters shine.
>>
>>47024127
Exactly. So let him keep it. If he turns out to be a faggot which he will have fun with it.
>>
>>47024065
That's true as well but bad roleplay needs to be punished. Give him temporary/indefinite Madness for having thoughts his meager Intelligence has no way of supporting. He will change his tune soon enough.
>>
>>47024133
This is why you fiat that Int is Arcane Juice, Wis is Nature/Divine Juice, and Cha is Self Juice. Let players decide their own worldliness, wit, and charm.
>>
>>47024133
>you're gonna need dex and strength
Soruce: my ass
>>
>>47024196
>strong rogue
>going to need strength
>"hurrr what???"
>>
>>47024133
I make players with low strength unable to carry a lot. Low con can fuck you over majorly if you fail a save.
>>
>>47024196
You aren't the brightest, are you?
>>
>>47024133
>You wanna be a stronk rogue?
Why would you want strength on a rogue other than for RP?
>>
>>47023200
>>47023274
So
A character who can speak primordial can communicate with someone that speaks auran, got it, but again are there any twitter from wotc replies or errata indicating this?
>>
>>47024711
that's the point, i think
>>
>>47024133
You are equating low/negligible modifier with absence of skill.

It's really easy to get 10's in all your unimportant stats and have 15 and 16 in your important stats, and 10 does not indicate a significant deficiency.
>>
>>47024713
I would assume the elemental languages are variations of the traditional, more archaic Primordial. So if you knew Primordial you'd be able to talk auran, ignan, etc... kind of. I'd probably ask for an (easy) Intelligence check to know how well you communicate.
>>
File: 1428113650669.gif (47KB, 172x196px) Image search: [Google]
1428113650669.gif
47KB, 172x196px
>>47024713
PHB 193, under Languages.
RTFM
>>
>>47024902
Err, 123. I need to RTFM.
>>
>>47024713
"Dialect" doesn't just mean "they have a weird accent". The differences can range between English<->Ebonics or English<->Cajun Creole. They have entirely different definitions for words, words you've never heard of, an accent you can't make sense of, and grammatical rules that make you think they're literally retarded.

If the intent was for Primordial speakers to understand and speak the other four elemental languages, there would be no reason for anyone to ever want to take those except to handicap themselves for RP purposes. Why? The degree to which those four are dialects to Primordial is probably less on the level of English<->Cajun and more like Latin<->Spanish/Italian/French/Romanian, not to mention that the "Primordials" do not refer specifically to just Elemental creatures in FR, but also embodiments of other concepts (baatezu and slaad have their own primordial daddies, for instance, so all the alignments can be folded in there). May as well say a Primordial-speaker can communicate with those who know Infernal.

So I wouldn't go down that road. Either pick what flavor of Elemental you want to understand, or pick Primordial and tell your party, "Uh, well, I think the golem said 'smash', but I don't know if he's talking about an object, us, or those guys over there. But that also could have been 'dance'."
>>
>>47021954
>TFW one of my players is a SCAG tiefling bladesinger
Jesus Christ, stop being a faggot and talk to your DM.
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-01+at+04.50.41).jpg (34KB, 243x205px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-01+at+04.50.41).jpg
34KB, 243x205px
>>47024951
>>
File: z8wmkh6.png (214KB, 539x154px) Image search: [Google]
z8wmkh6.png
214KB, 539x154px
>>47025125
>>47024713
>>47024916
>>47024902
>>47024902
>>47024916
Well I'm fucking retarded, I was under the impression I had checked the PHB for my question already.
>>
>>47022612
>Geas
>9th level
>lasts until dispelled
>Cannot act against caster's wishes
>trying does 5d10 psychic
>4d10 is deadly at low levels
>>
>>47025125
I can communicate with my dog, that doesn't mean he understands me when I say "go get the paper".
>>
>>47023062
Zombies and Skeletons are in the back of the PHB for necromancers, along with a bunch of options for familiars and Druid wildshape.
>>
Is anyone working on a monster hunter character sheet for the new archetype?
>>
>>47025332
Your dog has 3 int, anon.
Sentient creatures that know different dialects of Primordial are capable of working out what the other means, if they're both speaking deliberately.
Doesn't mean your Auran speaking hippie bird is going to be able to negotiate with a Dao.
>>
>>47010826
Needing a little advice from you all. New dm here and one of my players told me that in a future game they plan on casting grease under some enemies and then setting it on fire to roast anything standing there.

I like how creative that is and will allow it but I'm trying to decide how much damage the fire would do to anything caught in it. Does anyone have a suggestion?
>>
>>47025332
Honestly, your dog might understand you.
He doesn't understand what the words mean, but he understands what that series of noise means.
>>
>>47024065
People who are mildly retarded can usually make full sentences, function and have memory.

You're trying to say anyone with mild retardation should have ADD, while is generally the opposite.
>>
>>47025988
Nonmagical fire is 1d6/round. If you say it's superheated because of the Grease, you could probably scale that up to 2 or 3d6/round
>>
>>47025998
>He doesn't understand what the words mean, but he understands what that series of noise means.
isn't that basically how we all operate?
>>
>>47023455
Druids, Clerics, and Bards can use their short rest resources out of combat. A wizard that's casting spells will want a short rest to use arcane recovery. Warlocks want them for spells too.

Rogues, Barbarians, Rangers, Sorcerers don't need short rests anyway.

Paladins and Fighters only have combat resources, really.

And we're talking about monks right now, so there.
>>
>>47026324
(I assume this, of course)
You understand the separate meanings of
Go, Get, The, and Newspaper.
The dog just understand that as a single discrete noise.
>>
>>47026393
If others don't need to rest I don't see why would they wait for the monk every hour
>>
Hey, about to start a campaign. My strength and dex bonuses are the same, would it help me to take a regular weapon and have two dual-wielded light finesse weapons, as well? How prevalent, generally, are effects that lower one stat or the other?
>>
>>47026548
Because usually if there's a reason for the monk to take a break, there's also probably people who need to recover.
>>
>>47025988
Standard oil, for example, if lit, does 5 fire damage to anything standing or covered in it. That seems sensible enough. You could throw another d6 damage for enemies that failed their save and fell prone.

Actually I think it would make more sense for it to be way the other way around, 1d6 to all in it, plus 5 to those prone.
>>
>>47026608
You mean effects that drain a stat? Very uncommon, unless your DM homebrews a lot and is a sadistic bastard. As far as a know only Shadows drain strength.
>>
>>47026609
No if we're talking about non combat encounters as the anon stated
>>
>>47023970
Actually they do, there're tons of hardcore roleplayers in here that anything that isn't outright crippling your character is blatantly powergaming
>>
>>47026324
Dogs generally can understand vocabulary but not syntax or grammar.They can get as far as associating a single sound with a single thing. They can't understand multiple words at once, words that affect each other, conjugation, or that kind of thing.
>>
>>47026717

Aren't there spells that do, though? And our new group does some homebrew, they're starting a custom campaign.
>>
>>47023970

To be fair, a friend of mine plays an elf barbarian.

>she just likes to smash things
>>
>>47027307

>mfw people unironically saying non-variant human is a viable race choice when using elite array
>>
>>47027344
Wood Elf barb can make a pretty solid ambusher and some totems are okay on a dex build.
>>
>>47027307
Spells generally don't alter ability scores either. Compare Enhance Ability to older versions of spells like Bull's Strength. The magic items that change your ability scores usually change them to a fixed value redder than adding points.
>>
'Sup /5eg/?

So I don't know too much about 5e, but I was hoping to get some opinions on how well it plays for low-level games and how well suited it might be to a campaign leaning toward a sort of gritty, AD&D dungeoncrawly feel?

I've run a West Marches-style game for a long time using 3.5/Pathfinder E6 rules. It's a challenging, high-lethality hex-crawl where characters are capped at level 6. The game's been on hiatus for a while now though, and I was thinking about reviving it in a new form that'd be less concerned about the importance of "builds" and all the fiddly little mechanics that 3.P loves to pile on. Do you think 5e could support the kind of low-fantasy vibe I want? Is low-level play robust enough—and dangerous enough—to stand up in this kind of campaign format?

I'd love to know what you guys think.
>>
>>47027534
Considering West Marches proper is run using the 5e ruleset: probably.
>>
>>47027534

ya
>>
>>47027391

No, no, she just... She just breaks everything she can get away with while retaining a "good" alignment.
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.