[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any system that uses d12 as its main dice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
Is there any system that uses d12 as its main dice?
>>
Pokethulhu?
>>
Modempunk
Colonial Gothic

Probably more
>>
>>46839716
Are they good?
>>
If a system uses as it's main dice:
d4
d12
d8
doddnumber

is a bad system
>>
>>46840344
And might that be?
>>
>>46839690
Tephra
>>
>>46840344
>d8
>d12
>d16 (?)

But I have a hard on for base 12 and base 16 things. It's so divisble. Why are they bad?
>>
>>46839690
Questcore, though good luck trying to find people to play it and or run it.
>>
>>46840482
>legitimately wanting to play questcore
what the actual fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>46840344

Care to explain?
>>
>>46839690
Blade of the Iron Throne
>>
File: 1461121263948.jpg (293KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1461121263948.jpg
293KB, 500x750px
>>46840554
What's worse is I fucking bought the book
Honestly, I would rather played some of the other small independent stores.
>>
>>46840344
>he doesn't get drunk with friends and play a 70's convoy style game of Mother Fuckin Crab Truckers.
Nigga, you're missing out.
>>
>>46839690
I know that Savage Worlds and IronClaw both use d12, but as one of several possible dice. Skills increase die sizes as they progress, starting at d4 and moving up to d6, d8, d10, and d12.

>>46840474
I've considered playing around with the idea of a d12-based system, where you simply divide small numbers by 2, 3, 4, and rarely 6. It's still just a concept at this point.
>>
>>46839690

Advanced Heroquest
>>
>>46845555
This thread and >>46840474 in particular made me seriously want to use base-12 for my dice pool system. Besides that, since it's a dice pool system, that means I can make pools cap out at 12 or so instead of 10, which gives players more room for growth and granularity.

Also d12s have a regular shape while d10s don't.
>>
>>46847329
It also converts easily from d6-based systems, so you can introduce more granularity into those games without otherwise changing things too much.
>>
>>46847329
Now you have to explain why would you ever use d12 over d6 (which is cheaper and easier to get in big amounts).
>>
>>46847814
Using exploding dice and don't want a 1 in 6 chance of an explosion
Want to use dice for more than just success rolls but want more than just 1 to 6 for a result
d12 is a sad and very neglected die type among the standard d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20 group
Want to use fourths in addition to halves and thirds

Besides that, most gamers will have (or want to have) a bunch of 7 die sets for maximum compatibility with tons of games, and those will naturally include d12s.
>>
File: 729.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
729.gif
134KB, 340x340px
>that one player who goes three or four sessions before whinging out loud that he never gets anything above 12 on his d20 rolls

Every time.
>>
>>46839690
The book of cairn
>>
Blade of the Iron Throne does d12 pools, if I remember correctly

Pretty sure the game designer(s) are marketing consultants for the dice industry, judging by that fact alone.
>>
>>46839690
Tri-Stat supers games like Silver Age Sentinels (I think) and The Authority RPG (for sure) use d12 to represent superhero scale.
>>
Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium, by Neoplastic Press.

not to be confused with Dread, the horror jenga RPG. This Dread is more splatterpunk.
>>
>>46848283
For these reasons and more I've been working on a system with the d12 at its core. Also my Platonic Solid fascination makes me want to see the d12 used as much as the others.

It's been 3 games and 4 years since I've seen a Player use it for more than leveling up. The game I GM I've found myself adding more enemies with d12 weapons because I like rolling the thing.

In my system it may just end up being used for skills or the like with a larger die, or multiples of smaller ones, for combat. Though I've mostly just worked up a bunch of d12 skill system variants at this point.`
>>
I used a d12 pool in the thing I've been writing
I ran through a 1-10 pool curve of a few die sizes with a roll under thing until I liked what 'superlative' and 'average' outcome chances looked like
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypY9idoJAJxd1RNdGlQUU0zcWs/view?usp=sharing
>>
Can't find questcore anywhere, is there a pdf to the rules?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.