[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the worst house rule you've ever encountered?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 37

File: 1431026479122.jpg (52KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1431026479122.jpg
52KB, 500x282px
What is the worst house rule you've ever encountered?
>>
No evil characters.
>>
>>46787999
>conversations that never happened:
>Hey, DM, I've asked the other players, and they think an LE-leaning party would be fun to play after this campaign.
>>
>>46787988
Critical success/failure on skill and ability checks, coupled with exploding crits.
>>
>>46788023
Also, different game: All crafting is forbidden. Not just magical item crafting and scroll scribing, all crafting, including carving a stick into a club.
>>
>>46787999
If you're playing a game of heroes, than you play heroes. Don't bitch about it. Otherwise, suggest an evil campaign.
>>
>>46787999
>"No That Guy exclusive traits."
>"OMG THAT'S THE WORST FUCKING RULE EVER!"
>>
>>46788023
This. 1 in 20 is way too high a chance for a master to fuck something up.
>>
>>46788053

Evil people can be heroes too. Why don't ban neutral characters now that we are at it?
>>
>>46788023
What's wrong with exploding crits?
>>
File: 1433825764219.jpg (14KB, 339x351px) Image search: [Google]
1433825764219.jpg
14KB, 339x351px
>>46787988
>No divine magic.
>You have a question anon?
>Oh, yeah, clerics just can't cast spells.
>Another question?
>Oh, I'm not making any other changes to the class. It's just that gods don't exist, so no divine magic.
>... yes, anon, what now?
>Oh sure you can make a Wizard.Yeah, use whatever spells you want.
>>
>>46788130
He knew that clerics can get their power from ideals and not just deities, right?
>>
>>46788081

>slippery slope not so slippery since being molested
>>
>>46788130
That's fucking horrid. Should've tried to greenlight an ideal/godless cleric just to spite him desu.
>>
>>46788081
Because evil characters will invariably do more dickish things than heroic. You just can't mix evil party members with good. They will eat each other.

There's also the the ever present suspicion if why someone would want to play an evil character, which is often that they will disrupt the game.
>>
>>46788149
>You just can't mix evil party members with good.
That's not totally true. An LE character taking the slow ride to the top can get on fine in a party of mostly good aligned characters.
>>
File: 03.jpg (35KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
35KB, 580x435px
>>46788058
>Evil PC
>a 'That guy' trait

Fuck off, lol
>>
>>46788130
Its better than playing a game with a cleric though. Same with druids. Broken by lvl 10 even without minmaxing if played cheap.
>>
>>46788100
Applied to skill and ability checks, there is something wrong with them.
>>
File: 1456959615173.png (220KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
1456959615173.png
220KB, 500x372px
>>46788130
>>46788140
>>46788146
I think that argument would've led to a huge fucking shitstorm. The guy was tipping at Dawk 5 when I knew him, you couldn't even have a passingly religious character without illiterate, drunken town guards calling you a moron for it.
>>
>>46788169
Until whatever agreement he has with them is terminated, and he's free to fuck them over if he so chooses. If his alignment doesn't shift to LN I see no point in letting them in the party for any meaningful length of time.
>>
>>46788174
found that guy
>>
>>46787988
Crit fails.

Whoever does this is a complete fucking retard incapable of basic thought.
>>
>>46788022
It IS possible to have fun with evil campaigns, BUT (especially with lawful-evil campaigns) you HAVE to go into it knowing that it's every man for themselves and you could get stabbed in the back at any moment. Besides, characters who clash with the party are more dependent on their motivations than their alignment anyways.

Strangely enough I've found that chaotic-evil characters can potentially fit in with a non-evil party much more easily than a neutral-evil or lawful-evil character. I played a character in a pirates campaign who was CE mostly because he was a bloodthirsty wereshark. Despite the rest of the party being non-evil and only about half of them chaotic, I never had any reason to clash with the party since cooperating with them allowed me to kill more people, and the captain (also another player) was happy to deploy my character as a weapon of destruction wherever he felt necessary.
>>
>>46788232
That's not a house rule in combat though. The severity of the critical failure is when it gets silly. Losing initiative, provoking an AoO, or going flat footed for a bit is fine whereas hitting yourself is fucking retarded. Plus not as bad if you have to confirm the crit fail for it to be more than a regular failure.
>>
>>46788224
It seems like you're not familiar with LE, friend, let me clear it up for you. An LE character wants a nice, orderly, productive, healthy kingdom, just like most good characters. They just want to be on top, regardless of whether or not they should. Unless you're playing some ultra-trash system, his party members won't know he wrote LE on his character sheet until they've already grown to regard him as an integral member of the group.
>>
>>46788248
>It IS possible to have fun with evil campaigns
Evil campaigns will always devolve into edgelord faggotry. No exceptions.

Sure, it can be hella fun to let your inner 14 year old out once in a while, but it doesn't change the fact you're participating in edgelord faggotry.
>>
>>46787988
Paladins are lower than any other vaguely religious classes and cannot wear better than chainmail armor.
>>
>>46788260
>That's not a house rule in combat though. The severity of the critical failure is when it gets silly.
I actually do mean in the sense "beyond the attempted task simply failing."

>Losing initiative, provoking an AoO, or going flat footed for a bit is fine whereas hitting yourself is fucking retarded. Plus not as bad if you have to confirm the crit fail for it to be more than a regular failure.
No. None of these things are fine, ever, in any circumstance. I'll give you a hint as to why: What classes will these effects affect most? What classes will they affect least?

Think for one second.
>>
>>46788260
If we're talking d20, it's a house rule. An attack roll or saving throw fails on a 1, but there's nothing 'critical' about it. You just miss or get hit.
>>
File: 1366779542999.jpg (33KB, 288x356px) Image search: [Google]
1366779542999.jpg
33KB, 288x356px
>>46788130
>Am an atheist
>Tell people I'm an atheist if they ever ask
>Am still fascinated with the idea of gods and pantheons, would constantly read through my copy of "Deities and Demigods" when I got it years ago

Reading stories about these fedora-tier atheism-plussers always makes me feel so embarrassed to admit my beliefs to other people. Is it really so hard for people to realize that a FANTASY game can have FANTASTICAL elements in it?
>>
File: how to play mixed alignments.png (1MB, 1600x1375px) Image search: [Google]
how to play mixed alignments.png
1MB, 1600x1375px
>>46788248
>you HAVE to go into it knowing that it's every man for themselves and you could get stabbed in the back at any moment

Only if you play with dickbags. I've played many evil characters in games and never betrayed a party member. I've had several players play evil characters in games I GMed, and none of them ever betrayed each other. I've even run games where every character was evil, and they never betrayed each other.

The only incidents of player on player backstabbing I've seen have been from lolrandumb neutral characters, and from "good" characters who just decided to turn on someone for arbitrary reasons.
>>
>>46788335
I hope that picture was a joke and not what you actually think.
>>
>>46787988
Nat 1 on a skill check means you fail regardless of your actual modifier. Nat 20 means you succeed.

Which is why my +19 Bluff character was found out by a -4 Sense Motive roll even though the TN was -5: 19+19=38 whereas nat 20 trumps.
>>
>>46787988
Money on free parking.
>>
>>46788320
It's a rebellion thing for some people, because mommy and daddy forced them to go to church and sunday school when they were little. It's more apparent when they're fine with other mythologies and religions but have it out for Christianity or Christian analogues.
>>
>>46788347
This. This single rule alone actually completely breaks the entire game.
>>
File: 1397452796194.png (321KB, 645x552px) Image search: [Google]
1397452796194.png
321KB, 645x552px
>>46788282
Hey, there's nothing wrong with letting your inner edgelord faggot out along with your friends doing the same. So long as everyone is enjoying it, it's all good. Just keep it contained to the game and you're fine.
>>
>>46788149
Tell that to almost every game I've been in.
>>
>>46788341
I don't use alignments, man. I just posted it because it seemed in context.
>>
>>46788362
There was a whole episode of The Sopranos about it.
>>
File: 1367469540063.png (208KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1367469540063.png
208KB, 500x280px
>>46788347
Wow, that's a house rule?

...Come to think of it what the fuck kind of logic is that anyways? It's not like when you find a free parking spot in reality you just suddenly come across a couple thousand dollars.
>>
>>46788335
I feel ya, anon.
Lots of people around here like just outright avoiding anything they've seen badly once or twice, and give no shits if it can be good sometimes.

Which is strange on 4chan, a place described as a field of shit with the occasional diamond.
>>
>>46788282
>Evil campaigns will always devolve into edgelord faggotry. No exceptions.

I have seen many exceptions. I think if you don't explicitly state that you are running an "evil campaign", people will play evil characters and not feel the need to act out.

And, again, it helps to not play with people who are dicks.
>>
>>46788356

Some stick there forever. I got through that phase. Then somehow got back into it with a broader understanding of the universe, people, and the place for belief in the human psyche.

I suppose the cycle is the initial refutation and the rebellious zealotry of youth, followed by a mellowing out and exploration, and back again to a personalized, secular spiritualism. There's other ways it can go and people don't have to complete it, and I suppose you can go through it multiple times or not at all. Not like there's rules for what you can do with your faith outside of what everyone else says you have to do with it.
>>
>>46788362
How to fix monopoly.

1: Remove all cards that grant money from the bank. Money is only granted by passing Go.
2: Eminent Domain, if you own a majority of any given color, you can force a player to sell his lots for the value listed on the property during your turn. If three different players own different colors and you are one of the players, you can force them to sell their lot to you when you land on it.
>>
>>46788346
I like how Dark Heresy handles crit fail in combat. Roll crap = Gun jam.
>>
>>46787988
This shit right here.

>>46788023
>Critical success/failure on skill and ability checks
>>
>>46788436
Dark Heresy was also intentionally written with that rule in mind.
D&D was not. Adding such a rule only further breaks its already completely fucked balance.
>>
>>46788362
Ayup.

Of course, it's also frequently coupled with the almost-as-retarded houserule that is "no auctions".

Monopoly still isn't a good game without those houserules, but at least it isn't as terrible as it is with those.

There's some other dumb houserules out there for other games, but I think those two take the cake. "No Evil PCs" or critical failures are dumb, but at least they don't break the fucking game in half.

Although speaking of which, trying to run OD&D/AD&D/Basic without GP=XP and no additional sources of experience probably fits into that category as well. I don't think I've run into anyone who actually does that, but god damn that would be dumb.

>>46788408
I think some newer editions might have it written into the actual rules - I'm pretty sure I checked my copy and that's the case.

The reason it's dumb is because the objective of the game is to get rid of people's money, and Money on Free Parking puts money back into the system. It draws out the game for hours for no purpose beyond entertaining children who got a lucky roll, and makes the game even more luck-based than it already is.

Similarly, No Auctions draws out the game even more and takes away one of the few non-luckbased bits - in exchange for not having mildly complicated mean-spirited mechanics in a game often played with children.
>>
>>46788449
Good point. They even made tables for Psycher fails.
>>
"Spell component pouches are only good for one instance of casting and spoil after one week".

It caused more problems than it solved. It works for dungeon crawl fests but for longer games it made the wizard completely useless.
>>
File: image.jpg (356KB, 1260x708px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
356KB, 1260x708px
>>46788469
DH is chock full of shit that would never fly in other games.
>>
>>46788474
Correction; one instance of preparing spells.
>>
>>46788282
>a bunch of Slaaneshi fuckers happily raping and drugging populations of Imperial space stations to death (of course it's CE)
>edgelords
Lel
>>
>>46788532
Are you seriously trying to imply they're not edgelords?
>>
>>46788149

I've had more times of LG paladins being dicks to people ("threats" of not healing, and "my way or else you are doing evil/bad") then players that are evil alignment doing dick things and you know why? Because if evil aligned classes do the same thing that a paladin does and claim its "because my alignment makes me right" they are gonna get killed.

Evil =/= dick character or character that will betray the group.

Good =/= nice character that will help everyone out selflessly.
>>
>>46788573
That has more to do with "I play my pally as judge dredd :^)" memelords than anything else.
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 1152x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 1152x814px
>>46788600
>ever compromising your paladin code for any reason
>>
>>46788641
>implying the country wasn't founded because some chucklefucks were tired of paying for their own war and smuggling was becoming inconvenient
>>
>>46788053
There's nothing saying a hero can't be in it for the money.
>>
>>46788058
What are you, five years old? Evil characters work just fine. Trust me, "That Guy" is not bound by his characters alignment.
>>
>>46788130
If magic exists, then clerics can get their powers from whatever the fuck. They can cast divine magic worshiping a fucking rock for all I care. What the hell is this shit? Do people actually do this?
>>
>>46788226
You must not have many friends
>>
>>46788600

Even with clerics or druids? And some of the paladins aren't full judge dreadd, some of them won't even kill things killing them not even evil things that don't reason (undead) (one has called smite evil a 'useless ability for any true paladin')

Special cases aside anyone who plays anything from LG to CN play just about the same as each other action wise but the mere talk about any kind of evil character is met with "edgelord alignment!"

I'm fine with banning evil alignment even if I think it is dumb but it is hardly the worst homerule.

Personally the dumbest homerule I've seen is that I couldn't be a half-orc in a party with another half-orc because "we would HAVE to be from different tribes and we would HATE each other and would FIGHT TO THE DEATH ON SIGHT"
>>
>>46788058
>>46788689
"No Evil" rule however shows that it is unwelcome at the table, and when the "Neutral" does his shit you just go "Ok, that drops you to Evil and thus your character is banned."
>>
>>46787988
>We'll be using d20 for (insert not D&Dfinder)
>>
>>46788689
Found That Guy.
>>
>>46788750
That's not a house rule, you retard.
>>
One of my favourite characters I've ever played was evil. He was an affable guy who was entirely devoted to the party's noble cause and would do anything to further it. He'd murder children in a heartbeat if it would get him closer to his goal but he wasn't sadistic. When his horrible but pragmatic suggestions were shot down by the party he would go along with whatever the group decided. Evil PCs don't need to be disruptive. You can fight on the side of the angels without being one.
>>
>>46787988
For 40k; that blast templates make acceptable drop pod substitutes additionally that when a drop pod lands on your squads in your army they die, this was back in 4th edition when drop pods didn't really have rules when I had just started to play (asked one of the guys who taught me to play and they said the fucker was cheating)
>>
>>46788790
Why wouldn't models die when a drop pod lands on them?
>>
>>46788022
Happened with our group.

Specifically it was
>Hey DM, we want to play an evil campaign next. Highwaymen or Pirates or something.
>I've got a few ideas for Pirates if you want.
>Sounds good.
>>
>>46788081

because evil pc's are usually played by the half retarded anyways and usually devolve to chaotic stupid very quickly.

it's always some fat fuck who wants to go on a power trip and they ask for all sorts of stupid "extra" RP shit that ruins everyone else's fun.
>>
>>46788804
'Cause Emperor protects!
>>
>>46788804
>old school S:D blast that removes everything beneath it for 35 points turn one
pls no
>>
>>46788081
>>46787999
>>46788053
Anybody who is capable of playing a not-shit evil character is going to shrug at "no evil" rule and play something else.
Only the principial shitheads are going to contest it, or play shitchars of as close as possible to it.
Thus the rule is never challenged and is reinforced.
>>
>>46788804
Because this was in 4th edition and deep striking by drop pod wasn't all that different from deep striking by teleporting so landing on a unit counted as a deep strike mishap meaning the unit he was deep striking should have been removed as a casualty.
>>
>>46788282
And here is a guy who got burned once by bad player(s) and never recovered. Who hurt you, anon? Did LE Chad steal your NPC love interest?
>>
>>46788248
But that's bullshit.
I was playing a LE character in an all good group and in character she regarded the group as her means to an end. She wouldn't dick any of them over because it wouldn't have served her purpose and the group ensured she didn't need to watch her own back. The rest of the party saw this also and so they trusted she wouldn't be sticking a knife in their back in return.

Come much later I think the DM was intentionally trying to get me to start shit and cooked up the perfect scenario where she could kill the rest of the party and not only get away with it but be rewarded for doing so.
She still stuck with the party because she was confortable with the adventuring life and even regarded a few of them as friends.

It's honestly not hard to think of a reason why someone would wouldn't be an arsehole and if you can't envision such a reason it says more about you then the alignment.
>>
>>46789222
Not him, what did you do that made you evil? More out of curiosity than anything else.
>>
>>46789352
Regular theft and pulled cons.
Also planned out and commited three assassination jobs to further my families political reach, much to the disgust of the group and was specifically warned after the last one that 'if they heard' I had commited another I was going to reported. The obvious thing being I had to be even more subtle but no further opportunities arose.

However by the end I was likely pushing LN more then truely evil anymore.
>>
>>46788532
>happily raping and drugging
But that's like a fucking definition of edgelord.
>>
>>46787988
Dark Heresy GM

>You can't dodge bullets
>I wont allow this unrealistic Matrix bullshit on the table

>Of course you can play a character that can shrug off stabs to the face and can run 24 meters in 5 seconds that gets stronger each time you devour souls of important NPCs/other PCs
>>
>>46788282
Not necessarily, but they always do if you play them with "adventuring party" theme that is suited more to games leaning towards good characters. Evil games need a lot of more creative work from GM to prevent them from degenerating into edgelord faggotry and general murderhoboing on extreme levels. One of easier ways is to have players work for some NPC BBEG that doesn't allow senseless edgefaggotry, but it's needs more work from to GM to make it feel fun rather than a chore.
>>
>>46789458
Azhak?
>>
>>46788288
???
?
?
>>
>>46788149
> You just can't mix evil party members with good.
Hahaha, good joke Anon.
>>
File: Heresy.jpg (25KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Heresy.jpg
25KB, 350x350px
>>46788206
...pls go and stay go

Or maybe just find people to play with who aren't complete nobs?
>>
>>46788320
Atheism + was a offshoto fo crazy that was "Atheism that is also focused on feminism" I swear to god feminists are so fucking nuts and they just pull the ultra cucks around their finger.
>>
>>46788100
>Attempt to knit a sweater
>You disembowel yourself
>>
>>46790099
No, that's having a GM whose IQ test results came back negative.
>>
Any and all rules trying to balance casters in 3.PF. You aren't fixing anything, you're either nerfing the class into near uselessness or you're dicking the entire party over. Sometimes both.
>>
File: 1364043922499.jpg (165KB, 900x693px) Image search: [Google]
1364043922499.jpg
165KB, 900x693px
>>46789458
Dodging bullets isn't some matrix shit unless the DM seems to think you only start to dodge after the bullet has left the gun. If someone is pointing a gun at you and you dive before they fire, you can avoid being in the line of fire and in effect dodge being shot.

Why you have to declare a dodge when they confirm a hit but before damage is abstract, but it''s not as if roleplaying games like dark heresy are known for their stringent realism and gritty no-nonsense rules
>>
Probably rare redrafting, but I don't really mind it.
>>
>>46790118
that's an explosive fail on a skill roll
>>
>this is my gf. she's playing with us. she doesn't know the rules. if you criticize or advise her i'll give you less EXP accusing you of being not collaborative.
>>
>>46788295
Martials?
>>
>>46790885
one wonders how the fuck some people function in life

every group I have played with has tried its damndest to help new players by offering advice, and it has always been taken well

how are people as broken as you read about
>>
>>46787988
Bolt-action rifles as Simple Weapons in Pathfinder. Yes, it makes sense, but mechanically it causes a nightmare, especially for someone who uses other special rules like AC to DR and allowing Monkeygrip. Animate Dead showed him the error of his ways, though.
>>
>>46788335
>Jayne evil
>Han good

Oh haha wow
>>
"You don't get 1.5 times your STR bonus for using a weapon with both hands, it's overpowered."

The asshole probably went far deeper than than, but I didn't bother hanging around to see.
>>
File: das rong.gif (1MB, 346x814px) Image search: [Google]
das rong.gif
1MB, 346x814px
>>46790827

>exploding fails
what kind of fucking cruelty is this?
>>
>>46790885
What kind of retard does this?

I've been playing with GM girlfriends, my own girlfriends, and my girlfriends when I was GMing for years, never had anything like that.
>>
>>46789458
But dodge just represents cover most of the time.
>>
>MTG
>You can skip your turn to draw seven, only if you have no cards in hand.
>>
>>46791267
What the actual fuck?
>>
>>46791240
Well, not really. I mean, when you dodge a bullet being fired from point blank, it doesn't really have to do with your cover.

This anon >>46790413 has the right idea.
You don't dodge the bullet itself, you move out of the path said bullet will travel before it get fired.
>>
>>46790944
only he can advise, underlining her ability to grasp the basic of the game.
problem is: this it is a structured non written rule of the game (with correlated EXP tables in his mind), it is not casual or based on emotion.

>>46791004
>What kind of retard does this?
a childish nearly 30yo guy.
>>
>>46788320
I've gotten to the point where I just say I'm not religious because atheist has so much autistic shit associated with it
>>
>>46787988
Your strength can't be higher than 16 at character creation because you'll be too powerful.
>>
File: 1458321776875.png (51KB, 318x321px) Image search: [Google]
1458321776875.png
51KB, 318x321px
Lets see
>When you need to roll within a certain range, specifically on jump checks and intimidate checks but I'm sure it could apply to other things. E.g. if you roll too well on a jump check you overshoot your jump, roll too well on an intimidate check and the target is reduced to an unhelpful blubbering pool of piss
Different game different gm
>The roll matters more than your modifiers, if you roll a 4 on a d20 you fail, it doesn't matter if you have a +20 to climbing and are trying to climb just a tree you fail

>Any thing that enforces existing and known imbalances in a system. Examples I've seen of this is a GM just completely saying that full attacks don't exist because the fighter was doing too much damage whenever he full attacked, or pretty much any time someone dicks with a rogues ability to hide and sneak attack because they can't think of a way to deal with a player who can hide.
>>
> -4 STR
>>
File: 1417502151830.png (451KB, 750x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1417502151830.png
451KB, 750x1700px
>>46788295
>>46790910
>>46791391
How can these be the worsts?
You just compliment the DM for his wisdom and play an ubercaster.
>>
>>46791572
It's the worst that I've encountered since it was the only GM I've played with that actually had house rules.
>>
>>46791572
But anon, the Worst House Rules is 3.5 RAW...
>>
Had a GM that didn't allow female characters.

Had a GM that didn't allow child characters.

Had a GM that didn't allow the extra attacks in 5e.

Had a GM that didn't allow feats in 5e.

Had a GM that gave out "luck points" aka free rerolls for "exceptional" roleplaying, but only if it was edgy/in combat.

Had a GM give half elves all of the benefits from both humans and elves.

Had a GM give casters unlisted spell slots "to make things fair."

This was two different GMs, sometimes these things overlapped.
>>
I meant >>46791619
not >>46791572
>>
>>46791739
Did you play a half elf ultracaster with a +3 to int, +4 to dex and +3 to charisma?
>>
>>46788320
I got the same shit from a bootyblasted christian player who couldn't stand the idea that christianity wasn't a thing in the fantasy world and when we played a game using the HR, got pissy that a cleric of his particular branch of christianity didn't get freebies over an imam.
>>
>>46788140
Not in FR
>>
Not a bad gm experience really but we found out that rolling stats REALLY doesn't work out in 5e
>Oh cool I start with a high score in my main stat
>....and that's all I'll need forever...guess I'll take 6 feats
The worst part is it made our friend who we kind of know fudges his stat rolls (no totally guys I rolled them at home in front of my girlfriend, you can call her and ask) stand out even more because he started as a level 1 monk with a 19 AC and it was just kind of obvious
>>
File: crystal_implications.png (80KB, 700x979px) Image search: [Google]
crystal_implications.png
80KB, 700x979px
>>46791813
I played a dragonborn pole arm fighter on principle.

>>46791817
>not having a Cleric of Catholicism
>pic related
>>
I really hate monopoly, like any sane person should, but had to play it with some old friends who are ultra casual board game people. One of them who hates losing came up with the houserule that if there were no properties left to sell, you could buy them off a player if you landed on them, and the player with the most properties had to auction one off each turn. These rules only came up when I started winning slightly more than he did.

The other one was a guy instantly making a house rule about some random shit, while reading the opening flap of the DnD Dungeon Commander rulebook for the first time.
>>
>>46791900
He was a catholic cleric, I just didn't see a point in giving mechanical bonuses for the choice of religion or sect.

I'm catholic, unlike him I'm not an insecure faggot about it.
>>
>>46791870
Also not in any edition other than 3e or 4e (and there might be some weird 2e cleric kit).
>>
>>46791984
Shit now I kind of want to play a pure fedoracore cleric now.
It would have to be Pathfinder I think
Worship atheism and the uphoria I get from having a higher intelligence
Pick that one cleric variant that can use intelligence instead of wisdom to cast spells
My holy symbol is a strange rimmed hat that flips up in the back, I tip it to cast spells
My faith's weapon is a katana
Domains I'm not so sure, if there's a chivalry or honor domain then that, and maybe knowledge domain
Have a charisma of 4
Carry spaghetti in my pockets

The mission would be to see how long it takes for the party to just get tired and kill my character. If it's session one I know I've done a good job
>>
>>46787988
Adding the ability to negate armor and shields with a called shot at only a -4 penalty to 3.5. This was added after the fighter got full plate.
>>
>>46791739
>Had a GM that didn't allow child characters.
But that is a good rule. There are no good reasons to play a child.
>>
>>46792128
So did it negate the armor bonus to AC or what? Because that sounds horribly ill-considered.

>>46792170
Eh, it's a common enough thing in fantasy literature/media that I can see why people want it. Especially for the classes/archetypes that are less reliant on being an adult, like a D&D Thief or Sorcerer. I can see not wanting a ten-year-old barbarian, but freaky magical prodigies? Shit's iconic, yo. Even moreso after Harry Potter and anime blew up, but you've still got tons of examples that predate that.
>>
>>46791890
And that's why with new players my DM only allowed point buy.
>>
>>46792170
I have had few good games with child characters, but you need specific scenario (one of the child games I have been in was gritty post-apocalyptic survival where character were kids who had escaped slavery and that worked well) for that and it obviously won't work with standard "adventuring party" fare.

Also, I don't think mixing adults and kids in party will work at all unless kids are NPCs, they tend to become useless party pets/mascots and such role isn't fun to most people nor most people can roleplay it well.
>>
>>46787988
Summon Monster [x] as a standard action.
>>
"If you spill your drink on the new carpet, it will cost you 3d7 damage."
>>
>>46792249
Yes, negated ac bonus. Anything more than a chain shirt was pointless.

In effect you hit the targets unarmored ac and had a -4 to hit.
>>
>>46792317
That seems pretty fucking generous actually. I know I'd be a lot less forgiving if some dipshit spilled their soda on my new carpet.

Unless its an ingame carpet and the party is dealing with a particularly surly maid.
>>
Critical in anything but attack rolls.

Best house rule I've seen in D&D, and adopted, was using modified sundering rules to dismember enemies during combat.
>>
>>46788320
>>46791817
God damn, Christian here, wondering why people can't just enjoy a fucking game, it's not real, it's not an assult on anyone's beliefs or lack therof, I hope you get better luck with people in the future, because those people are an emberassment
>>
I would say "every time someone misses they take damage because riposte and other counterattacks are a thing that exist and are fundamental to melee combat".

But it actually works pretty well for making combat quicker and slightly riskier.

So long as there is no exploding damage dice that is. Those rules are pretty ok separate, put them together and its fucking broken.
>>
>>46792532
I don't see that working well in a dive system, but I dunno.
>>
>>46790413
Khaine: oh, me dammit, not again....
>>
>>46792170
Well unless we wanted to play a KND campaign
>>
>>46792532
That buffs ranged attacks and magic.
>>
>>46792073
I never understood how some ones intelligence could make them "euphoric" are they just trying to be egomaniacs?
>>
File: comissar_by_rotaken-d9hmnnt.png.jpg (87KB, 1063x751px) Image search: [Google]
comissar_by_rotaken-d9hmnnt.png.jpg
87KB, 1063x751px
>>46787988
>No expansion books, only CORE. Playing DH 2E.

>But you can make up stuff and house rule it, im a GM hyk hyk hyk!

(Spoiler)But he was a good GM. This is how i got my twin linked bolt pistol.(/Spoiler)
>>
>>46792714
Yes that's the joke.
>>
>>46789841
I have no clue what you are trying to say here.
>>
>>46792700
Ranged and magic don't get the opportunity to deal extra damage, likewise they don't run the risk of taking extra damage.

Melee get the opportunity to do extra damage, but they also run the risk of taking extra damage.

It mostly cancels itself out, but the result is that combats are much faster, there is never any stagnation, and PCs are more likely to either try to solve the problem of monsters creatively, or outright avoid them because the hit point tax for combat is a bit higher than normal.
>>
>>46791739

>Had a GM that didn't allow female characters
>Had a GM that didn't allow the extra attacks in 5e

Every time I come on /tg/ I feel more thankful for my group.
>>
>>46792532

Pretty much how Dungeon World works.

>>46792689

I didn't know I wanted this so much until now...
>>
>>46792532
Sounds like the best tactic would be to skip attacking at all and just make an unhittable wall of armor. Force the opponent to kill themselves by attacking you.

Unless it's a Dungeon World-esque "only the players roll" thing, in which case it's probably alright? It really depends on what the rest of the system is like, really. Also, how much damage you take on a miss.
>>
>The GM shows up with an angry look on his face, reeking of alcohol.
>Starts yelling out rules as he sets up.
>You may not make "LGBT" characters
>If there is a restroom in the world, you must use the one that matches your sex.
>No hitting on same sex characters allowed, even for the good of the game.
>All Clerics and Paladins must worship Jesus.
>Everyone WTFs and leaves because he has gone into this shitty rant about black people out of nowhere.

We set up our own game in another bro's house, had fun.
>>
File: 1455971987567.jpg (17KB, 314x315px) Image search: [Google]
1455971987567.jpg
17KB, 314x315px
>>46793409
>>
>>46787988
Vampire the Masquerade; if you have no dots in driving you don't know ow what cars are.
>>
>>46792441
I'm an Anglican and I agree with you. People need to really realise these are games and need to keep their fedora bullshit out of it. I'm here to play a game not listen to your atheistic beliefs.

Back to your question OP, unpainted minis suffer minus 2 to each stat and must pass leadership every turn.
>>
>>46788275
The difference is that a Lawful Evil person wants to exploit the law, not uphold it.
>>
>>46788130
>what is dark sun
>>
>>46793409
You know that was fairly believable until:
>If there is a restroom in the world, you must use the one that matches your sex.

Yoy forgot that one ever uses toilets in RPG games.
>>
>>46792170
Why?

Good child character concepts:
>youngster wants to become an adventurer to impress his absentee adventurer father
>young prodigy sorcerer quits magic school because it's for nerds, takes his skill on the road
>plucky street rat falls in with a group of adventurers to get out of the city

Get ya head straight cracker
>>
File: qui gon star.jpg (53KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
qui gon star.jpg
53KB, 500x521px
>>46793409
>this totaly happened guise
>>
File: disdain.jpg (24KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
24KB, 400x462px
>>46793409
>Not wanting a harem of boy-slaves to fuck
>Not shitting in an alleyway while marking the place where you shat with graffiti
>No clerics or paladins of the Pantheon, instead they have to follow that weird Jewish cult

Spero autem quod dicitis non feceritis nulli
>>
>>46793595
Don't be so hasty, I once knew this GM who Incorporated a "bladder meter" into the game. The longer you went before taking a break, the more you suffered.
>>
>>46788058
If anything, That Guy is more aligned with Chaotic Neutral so that they can argue that they can do whatever they want.
>>
File: 19f.jpg (31KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
19f.jpg
31KB, 680x382px
>>46787988
>Any roll, count, division or calculation that would result in a fraction or a tie is rounded down for players, but rounded up for enemies.

It makes for a world where you get the short end of the stick. Let's say your Intimidate check is a 17, but the person you are trying to coerce also gets a 17 on their Sense Motive. You fail, and you can't try again for the rest of the day. This logic also goes for beating AC: If they match your AC, it's a hit, but if you match theirs, it's a miss.

>Manual and verbal announcement of caring for your gear

We had a guy who didn't announce "I wipe the blood off my sword" before he sheathed it, so when the next combat scene started, the DM said, "You try to draw your blade, but it appears to be rusted in place."
>>
>>46793698
Tell me more of this GM. He sounds like odd kind of magical realmer or totally serious simulation autist, either way I'm interested.
>>
>>46788058
'that guy' normally thinks he's somewhere on the Good scale. Partially that's because a lot of DnD DMs don't enforce alignment changes for actions so the rogue that robs refugees and kills anyone that finds them still pings as CG because that's what's on the sheet.
>>
File: NANIIIIIII.gif (2MB, 488x291px) Image search: [Google]
NANIIIIIII.gif
2MB, 488x291px
>>46790968
>Fighter rolls to attack a goblin
>Chops his hands off

Actually happened in a campaign I was in.
>>
>>46792913
There was a thread a few months ago about how to play a viable KND-inspired campaign in SR. One issue is how well 2x4 technology would work in a cyberpunk science fantasy setting.
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u5.jpg (45KB, 800x522px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u5.jpg
45KB, 800x522px
>>46793409
>>
>>46790099
Happened to me during an L5R campaign. The Scorpion snuck a message into my ball of yarn that caused me great dishonor, and I didn't realize it was there until the sweater was complete and everyone could see my shame. The only way out was seppuku.
>>
>>46791900
Holy shit, I remember the crystal guy.
>>
>>46793722
An odd bird to be sure.

>diabetes can be an actual character trait some NPCs had it.
>if you ate too much you would become constipated, weakening your damage. There was a cleric spell that caused this too.
>no summoning endangered species. If you did the Druids in the game would all know about it.
>>
>>46793718
But why? What was the reasoning behind such a dumb rule?
>>
>>46788734
What are you a child? Do you want to play a game with other people or read a Tolkein novel?
>>
All these player introduced alt rules sound terrible. Why not just try to play the game as intended, or if bored with that game try something else with a different ruleset?
>>
>>46787988
Hmm..let me see

>cleave hits anything within 5ft. Otherwise normal rules apply. Greater cleave hits everything within 10ft.

Or maybe

>clerics cant wear plate armor because that's for paladin's.

Pretty bad..but

>homebrew classes are allowed, but only if I can modify them. (Mostly nerf)

>no psionic classes are allowed, no psionic enemies allowed, otherwise I won't play. Psionics are op
(We only play 3.5 they won't play anything newer or older, or any other system. My friends kinda suck the life outta me. Since im the only one who will play a healer.)
>>
>>46787988
Painted armies win unpainted by default
>>
>>46793881
I found out later that he was a confirmed sadist, and found pleasure in other people's misfortune.
I play video games with him from time to time, and he will set his teammates up to die and then laugh at them when they lament. He runs a very dangerous Minecraft server.
>>
>when creating characters players can take a 10% XP drop each time XP is earned to get 2 bonus feats. This effect is permanent.
>when the players dodge/party if they fail they redirect the attack to an ally.
>if a gun jams it can explode.

>you can lose sanity if you ask questions ooc without telling me you are asking ooc.

Expanded sanity mode
>"I look at books" you lose sanity
>I look at tree, you lose sanity
>if you look at stuff you lose sanity usually.

Attacking a human causes sanity loss the first 10 times.

And the worst one...

When you hit 0 sanity your character will attempt suicide each day if they crit fail. Each time they attempt it, the party loses 2d6 sanity. If he succeeded the party loses 2d12 sanity.
>>
>>46787988
Critical hits/fails on ranged weapons just means it hits something else, regardless of how stupid it is

example

>Enemy critfails his shot and instead of the arrow hitting the enemy it was meant to, it hits me

>I critfail my shot and it somehow pulls a holhorse and hits me

>PC crits his shot and he gets a piercieng shot, it hits me as well, even tough the piercing shot is something that only happens when you crit, and all ranged attacks have it

And that's how I started to discriminate the mentally impaired
>>
>>46794115
>Sanity mechanics with this level of obtuseness

Fucking what
>>
>>46788078
>This. 1 in 20 is way too high a chance for a master to fuck something up.

Stop playing d20 games then.
>>
>>46794422
Make Me Fag
>>
>>46793409
>GM makes amazing campaign in alternate-history where US South wins civil war AND Axis wins WWII, and now the antifederalist Confederate States who isolated themselves from the Old World entirely must suddenly unite to face the incoming tide of Germans Italians and Japanese who seek to divide up the Americas amongst themselves.

>you fuckers don't even bother because you wanted to be pussy-ass elf traps
>>
File: Freakout.gif (3MB, 285x238px) Image search: [Google]
Freakout.gif
3MB, 285x238px
>>46791739
>had a GM that didn't allow the extra attacks in 5e
This can't be real.
>>
>>46794531
Ok. Your address please?
>>
>>46794115

My first DM ran something like this, but a little less extreme.

It was his own homebrew system that was essentially "Cortex but worse." We gave him a lot of feedback on it, and he was gracious enough to learn how to implement things a lot better and take some design queues on the directed goals of the system. He's finally started using other systems rather than trying to design his own from scratch every single game, even if it's just an Apocalypse system hack.

Still, his favorite dice is the d12 and I feel he's kind of lamenting that there's so few systems or even situations that make use of them.
>>
>>46794543
I think something is terrible wrong with your dixieland if it has clerics. That doesn't sound very Christian to me. Also, paladins sound like some catholic shit. Why not knights and klansmen?
>>
>>46794543

Isn't that a TV show but America is under occupation and all that's not divvied up yet is in the Midwest?

Also, how did WWI turn out? Same way as it did? I can't imagine WWII unfolding the same without that kind of resolution to WWI.
>>
"We're playing [system X]. The katana is mechanically the best weapon in the game."
>>
File: 1431199410059.png (115KB, 662x623px) Image search: [Google]
1431199410059.png
115KB, 662x623px
>>46791739
>Had a GM that didn't allow the extra attacks in 5e.
>Had a GM that didn't allow feats in 5e.
>Had a GM give casters unlisted spell slots "to make things fair."

What the actual fuck?
>>
Roll a 1 on the d20 and the DM makes one of two things happen:

>you lose your weapon, perhaps permanently
>you injury a nearby ally

Every time.
>>
>>46794971
It happens in Savage Worlds with no houserules, and it's stupid as fuck.
>>
>>46793954
That's a pretty reasonable house rule.
>>
>>46791739
Holy shit.
>>
>>46788689
Yes, evil characters can work fine in most campaigns, but that guys immediately assume that having an evil alignment means having to act like an edgelord at every possible situation without considering consequences.

>"WOW, WHY ARE THEY TRYING TO LYNCH ME? I JUST RAPED A COUPLE OF BABIES"
>>
>>46795067
One of the most fun characters I ever played with was a wizard that worshiped Vecna. He never did acted remotely "evil" except that we would do horrible things to acquire forbidden knowledge. Like a reasonable person, and not an edgelord, he wouldn't do it if there was a chance of getting caught. It was fun to ahve someone "play" devils advocate under the pretense of finding the "best" course of action, when he really just wanted to secretly kill someone.
>>
>>46795152
That's exactly what I mean, I'd allow characters like such if a player could play it reasonably good and interestingly, but most player that I've met end up playing a FATAL's character.
>>
>>46793889
It eliminates the "I'm playing my alignment, that's why I'm being an asshole" defense, and lets people know flatout that being an inordinate cunt means the GM will drop the hammer on you, regardless of your excuses.
It's perfectly fine because it molds the tempo of the game to one that the gm is comfortable with, and he has the right to do so.
>>
>>46792881
Anything that makes things swingier is generally bad for PCs, even if it evens out on average.
>>
My DM did this

>People made characters
>he rolled 100 random real names (not xhoifdhfod) to each player and the player could pick the one he liked alone.
>players made their char alone
> each player was at a different room (at real life) and started in a different place on game
>players couldnt talk to each other about their chars
>>
File: burt no don't do it.gif (485KB, 193x135px) Image search: [Google]
burt no don't do it.gif
485KB, 193x135px
>>46787988
"Modern Guns exist common place this fantasy world, they do d12s of damage, and you are always considered flat-footed when against them unless you buy armor specifically designed for bullets."

He balanced encounters to account for the fact guns are broken, by which I mean he fucking had us fight 20 Bandits at once, and guns were still super fucking expensive so we didn't have any until halfway into the campaign when we decided we didn't want to play it anymore.
>>
>>46795453
My DM doesn't make us do this but we usually do it anyways...My IRL group isn't great.
>>
>>46795496
his point is some sort of ultra anti metagaming thing
>>
>>46793954
>clerics cant wear plate armor because that's for paladin's.
Both of those sound pretty reasonable, actually. Clerics are one of the strongest classes anyway, and most notably the only t1 class that can wear whatever armour they want. And allowing homebrew classes AT ALL is pretty generous, given the level of homebrew you're likely to encounter. That the GM rebalances them as necessary is only reasonable assuming, of course, that his idea of balanced isn't totally out of whack and that he doesn't overcompensate for abilities that only look like they might be overpowered.
>>
>>46795464
At that point you may as well play Shadowrun.
>>
>>46795777
He thinks psionics are OP. That's a bad sign.
>>
>>46795777
>Plate armor
>That's for paladins
>Not cavaliers
>Not fighters
>Not literally any other martial class
>>
>>46795868
I read that with the background of Paladins already having precious few things over clerics.
>>
File: 1403105488836.jpg (84KB, 435x326px) Image search: [Google]
1403105488836.jpg
84KB, 435x326px
>No Necropotence
>No Top
>No Scroll Rack
>No Sol Ring
>mfw
>>
>>46795820
Yeah, "Psionics is OP" is the one bad thing in that post. The others are somewhat reasonable.

Hell, cleave probably wouldn't be overpowered even with that buff. Or Greater Cleave, for that matter. They're pretty situational - you need to have a ton of enemies surrounding you when you kill one for it to even matter.

Clerics need a nerf, but limiting them to medium armor won't do much given their spells. Still a decent start, I suppose. It's somewhat telling that WotC decided to do the same thing in 4E, presumably to differentiate them from the other divine spellcasting warrior class. Paladins need a buff as well, though, unless you're playing Pathfinder in which case they're alright I guess. They got some major nerfs from their AD&D incarnation.

Homebrew is a thing that almost definitely needs a looking-over, since the quality varies so much - the same thing goes for published stuff, obviously, but that usually at least has an editor go over it to standardize terms and shit. I've seen some good homebrew, but it's still something that I'd want to vet before allowing it (and conditionally allow in a modified form). Mostly nerfing would probably be the point - hell, I'd do the same to half the published classes if I ever played 3E, god forbid. Not everything that needs nerfing is as obvious as a Lightning Warrior; sometimes it's just a stupidly overpowered ability created through shitty editing.

No psionics is dumb as hell, though. I mean, I can sort of understand it from a flavor standpoint - but from a mechanical one? In 3E? Shit's weaker than four of the core casters. Psionics in general is arguably more balanced than 3E's magic!
>>
File: Haram.jpg (10KB, 226x200px) Image search: [Google]
Haram.jpg
10KB, 226x200px
>>46791739

Jesus. I suppose he tried to magical realm you as well?
>>
>>46793954
That rule for cleave is fine. Allowing fighters to actually be useful in 3.5 isn't actually bad house rules.
>>
>>46796353
Best houserule I saw for fighters is "Any enemy with three less HD than the fighter's BaB is instakilled by a successful attack"
>>
>>46795916
>No Necropotence

Man, if it's EDH then you need to be actively tutoring for Necro if you don't already have it and it's easy as fuck to destroy enchantments. Sol Ring is reasonable though, it's very powerful to have 3 mana ready at turn 2 with no drawbacks.
>>
File: 1424830459791.jpg (12KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
1424830459791.jpg
12KB, 217x208px
>>46791739
Maybe If He Wasn't a Moron Tier
>Had a GM that didn't allow child characters.

Pants-On-Head Retarded Tier
>Had a GM that didn't allow female characters.
>Had a GM that gave out "luck points" aka free rerolls for "exceptional" roleplaying, but only if it was edgy/in combat.
>Had a GM that didn't allow feats in 5e.

Stand Up and Walk Out Tier
>Had a GM give half elves all of the benefits from both humans and elves.
>>
No rogues.

Not even kidding.
>>
>>46796604
But, why?
>>
>>46796353
You don't understand... It hits...EVERYTHING... even allies, walls, traps, sleeping mimics.

>>46796208
The reason I hate the cleric armor nerf is because that's usually all I get to play. Because I have to be healer/babysitter

But yeah it isn't that bad when I think about that..

In hindsight I guess the homebrew nerf would actually be a good thing. Some are overpowered..my only gripe with it was because my friend picked blood mage. And it came with so many abilities and feats that the GM friend, couldn't kill him.

Like literally, he could puddle of blood himself, and be immune to damage but also have the ability to control himself and infect enemies with various diseases.

But that's my own bad experiences with it.
>>
>>46791984
Nope, that's just your head being up your ass.
Wishy-washy clerics are from Metzer's 1983 revision of Basic, dipshit.
>>
>>46788023

I'm a forever DMfag that pretty regularly plays with critfails, but they have to be confirmed. Two 1's in a row deserves something happening, fuck what anyone else thinks. Screw the setting, that shit's just unlucky.

A PC stabbing themselves is ridiculous, but them leaving themselves so open for an attack that the enemy gets a free move, or a parry sends a PC so completely off balance so they take negative modifiers to dodge or are easier to hit etc, etc.

You can crit fail without having your bowstring snap or stabbing yourself, Anons. You just gotta have a sliver of creativity.
>>
>>46796494
That's actually pretty fucking sick. If i still played 3.5e or Pathfinder I'd basically just straight up run that. Give that to fighters at level 6 or something and you can find uses for them almost all the way to epic tier.
Just not for anything else other than killing stuff.

Might make the campaign a bit too boring, though.
>>
>>46792170
I'm DMing a year and a month campaign now that's winding down, we have a girl playing a 13 year old boy druid. Zero issues so far.
>>
>>46796638

Apparently they're unfair and boring.

You guy was an absolute dick, he went so far as to purposefully attempt to kill someone's character simply because they rolled a Ranger. He would bad mouth them every turn, it got to the point where the guy just stopped turning up, to which the DM bitched about him not being a team player.

>>46796783
With the right people, these things are never an issue, but that isn't always the case. Once bitten, twice shy.
>>
>>46792887
>>46796548
Why is playing a female character such a must in RPGs?
>>
>>46796891
The +4 strength for being male is overpowered.
>>
>>46795916
eh most of those i can see except scroll rack which is fair. sol ring early can decide games. necro is just an unfair card in edh. and top while fair makes turns take way too long.
>>
>>46797015
>makes turns take way too long.
this is the same excuse my friend makes whenever I catch him cheating and looking at his next card. He says "I'm doing it so my next turn is fast". Early on I could see it but late game turns are long, deal with it.
>>
>>46796891
It's a matter of having the option. I might not be making a female character now, but I'd like to have the open opportunity to do so in the future, if I please.
>>
>>46796891
Shitposting aside, any rule that limits character creation to that extent is retarded for a collaborative storytelling game

You should let players form their character concept and then work as a group to change the character in a way that lets it mesh well into the party
>>
>>46796891
Usually our group of 4 has 1 female character usually the rogue, or cleric.

It just seems right to have a female in a group of adventurers.
>>
>>46788282
>run an evil campaign
>players all rolled kobolds
>they enslave a gnome village and force them to make chocolate bars
It was dumb, but a fun kind of dumb.
>>
>>46797436
>Ran a good campaign
>Players all rolled up dog kobolds
>Players ended up burning down the market district of the capital after a failed jewelry store robbery.
>Still having fuckloads of fun
>>
>>46791267
There are cards that let you do this why the fuck
>>
>>46797210
>>46797119
>>46797064
If I may play devil's advocate, it might not fit the tone of the setting, depending on what kind of campaign you're running. You didn't see a lot of female soldiers running around in, say, the 1940s, unless you want to do that B-movie thing where the BBEG is a blonde dominatrix in an SS uniform with the top two buttons missing or something.

Or unless you're playing as the Soviets, in which case I hope you all brought three spare character sheets.
>>
>>46797519
>Players ended up burning down the market district of the capital after a failed jewelry store robbery.
>Dog kobolds

Oh I see what you did there
>>
>>46795916

I've never actually seen someone use necro in games.

Sol Ring can get kinda swingy if someone turn ones it, but eh.

I assume Top is just because they were like my table and everyone got sick of an extra two minutes being added to every fucking turn.
>>
>>46797818
For the top it was more like
>I've only been playing magic for 2 years so you can't use cards you got an eternity ago that are now too expensive for me to get
>>
>>46797047
that's straight up cheating and should not be allowed. top is annoying because it creates a complicated decision at any time for one mana.
>>
>>46797684
That's pretty much the only instance in which I can see another female characters rule making sense.

Even then, the classic Mulan character is still a fun option.
>>
>>46797818
i feel the same way about top most of the time its like house ruling out some of the big chaos cards their not broken just a pain for the whole table
>>
>>46797684
I can definitely understand that and I try to make sure my character fits. But if you just say "No girls allowed" or "Female characters don't fit" without providing context as to why, obviously we the players are going to be miffed. The issue is that many DMs who ban us from female characters don't tell us why, and make it a blanket statement to prevent us from even trying to make a creative solution that fits within the setting.

Just going off your WW2 example, sure, it's difficult/impossible to justify a female soldier, but I could justify a female character.

I'm a female doctor who sets up a clinic for anyone injured. Nazis storm it, I'm forced to flee, I run into some soldiers in the countryside. I offer medical services and some info about the area in exchange for protection as we all attempt to get back to Allied territory. Boom, done.
>>
>>46797684
Playing the devil is fun. And you do have a point to an extent.

However. In the 1940s there were women fighters. Look at French resistance fighters. And if I remember correctly there were women overseas as nurses and such in the US army. Not front line fighters but they were there.
>>
File: 5db.jpg (56KB, 680x636px) Image search: [Google]
5db.jpg
56KB, 680x636px
>>46788282
But I'm in a LE campaign with some of the silliest shit ever.

I play a fighter that was the son of a cobbler. 7 INT + 9 WIS makes it hard to be an edgelord.
Plus he's paired with a monk from the far east who is a learned cultist of Asmodeus named - stay with me here - Mite Dai.

We yuk more than we *teleports behind u* shit.
>>
>>46798030
The soviets had female snipers. Also, some tank crews and pilots.
But they were kinda desperate so...
>>
>Lawful Good characters aren't allowed

This was with some guys I went to high school with.

I don't talk to them anymore.
>>
>>46798743
>Soviets had female snipers

The Russian girl snipers in Company of Heroes 2 are the best.
>>
>>46788078
"I take a 10" will resolve virtually every case of this if you are in fact a master.
>>
>>46797684
>playing military when you could play partisans
>>
>>46796494
I just went with the TOEE bug where Whirlwind and Cleave stacked as an actual rule and removed reach penalties on characters who were proficient.
>>
File: Most1969.png (1MB, 1023x768px) Image search: [Google]
Most1969.png
1MB, 1023x768px
>>46798817
I'd play a campaign based on Most.
>>
D&D 5e : limited number of cantrips per day.
>>
>>46798749
I thought LG was the only one people didn't argue about.
>>
>>46799206
I can see how having a hardcore Lawful Good character around could be seen as a drag if the group as a whole leans chaotic and/or morally ambiguous in their characters.
>>
>>46799386
I think it would be funny.
>>
>>46793431
WTF am i reading in this pick
>>
>>46799492
>being this new
>>
>>46795453
WTF
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 786x1017px
>>46788149
Clearly you've never been evil in a good group. Just don't tell them when you go do evil stuff an you're golden
>>
>>46796770
Nah, it lets you use weaker enemies that remain dangerous in large numbers like allips and ghouls.
>>
>>46798802
I know lots of DMs who don't allow that as they feel it defeats the purpose of a d20 system. My last DM said it's not in the 5e phb and isn't a thing anymore.
>>
>>46793718
>We had a guy who didn't announce "I wipe the blood off my sword" before he sheathed it, so when the next combat scene started, the DM said, "You try to draw your blade, but it appears to be rusted in place."
"I inhale."
"I exhale."
"I inhale."
"I exhale."
"I blink."
"I inhale."

Repeat until the DM never does this bullshit again.
>>
>>46799808
That isn't even that new though. I swear to god that was around when I was in High-school and I am in my mid 20's now.
>>
>>46793409
Sounds like his boyfriend broke up with him
>>
>>46796688
Hopefully when he said no heavy armor he meant cloistered cleric only. Might as well go for that alternative class feature if no heavy armor.
>>
File: 1317618588891.png (48KB, 344x517px) Image search: [Google]
1317618588891.png
48KB, 344x517px
>Tell DM I get a +1 to burning hands damage cause its an evocation spell, my specialty
>Says that's stupid and changes it saying that it only works for elemental mages who specialize in fire
>mfw
>>
>>46801520

>Being on 4chan while underaged.
>>
>>46802408
Well? Why should he be wrong?
>>
>>46795795
But muh D20
>>
>>46802752
because most evocation spells involve an element of some kind?
>>
File: end it pupper.png (1MB, 1018x728px) Image search: [Google]
end it pupper.png
1MB, 1018x728px
Hoo boy.

>You can use whatever template you want, no level adjustment. Also, your skill cap is your level times two, and you can play evil if you want.

>Also, you have to write down all your gear on a paper you have to give back to me so I can enter it into a text document and reprint it so I can make sure you aren't using things you don't have.
>>
>>46788282
These dudes disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auv3psl2OTI
>>
>>46787988
>You die in the game, you're kicked out of the campaign
That's the worst one I've ever encountered. Absolutely awful, who comes up with this shit?
>>
>>46803591
I've only heard this on /tg/. I'm covinced it's just a meme.
>>
>>46788130
I hope you left the table
>>
>>46803591
I've never heard of anything like that. I could really only imagine it as a flimsy excuse to get rid of someone you don't like
>>
>>46787988
His mother asking us to act like grown men, and stop being dead in pretend.
>>
>>46801465
You forgot to announce that you used your inhaler. You have an asthma attack and die. You're kicked out of this campaign. Not for dying, mind, but for that retarded, cringey RP post.
>>
>ITT: things that never happened
>>
>>46787988
I once played a game of 3.5 with some college freshmen who, for some reason, had a ton of nonsense houserules that basically turned the game into Exalted.

The best example is that the Dodge feat gave you D20+bab to your AC against anything coming at you. They were surprised when I didnt anticipate that...
>>
>>46790952
Bolt-action rifles should be Martial Weapons.
>>
>>46803966
Some of these sound bad enough to be true. It's not like this is a That Guy thread.
>>
File: VE LOVE ZE TURN TIMAZ.jpg (31KB, 500x576px) Image search: [Google]
VE LOVE ZE TURN TIMAZ.jpg
31KB, 500x576px
>Nazi-ish enforcement of turn timer based on each character's Int and Dex.

Seriously, everything your character did in combat had to be written down and given to him in something like two minutes for casters, and thirty seconds for martials. If you didn't get it to him in time your character just kept doing their last action.

Fucking made complex plans impossible, crippled str/con characters, and led to stupid situations where you couldn't use the ability you JUST FUCKING GOT at the exact moment YOU FUCKING GOT IT FOR, because your character spaced out and walked into a wall for his turn.

Dropped that shit after the second week, so fucking stupid.
>>
>>46791739
>Had a GM that didn't allow female characters.
Let me guess, this was a "historically accurate" setting, with the only difference being the addition of magic, right?
>>
>>46804055
I always have a 2-minute turn timer for combat, planning should be done ahead of time. That said, if a player's time runs out they do get 10 seconds to just pick an action before losing their action to idiocy.
>>
I don't know why you'd really need much more than 30 seconds anyway if you'd been paying attention to what everyone else had been doing that turn. The writing it down part seems weird to me though
>>
>>46791739
>Had a GM that gave out "luck points" aka free rerolls for "exceptional" roleplaying, but only if it was edgy/in combat.
This is literally a feature in 5e, see "Inspiration" in the DMG and PHB.
>>
>>46788130
I don't get it, he just removed clerics from the setting. Did he not tell you before playing or something?

I don't see what's so horrible about this.
>>
>>46788149
If you've got good players, who know how to rp, you can mix and match.

But be aware that unless the good or evil eventually change alignment then the party is not going to stay intact.
>>
>>46787999
As a DM I've never wanted evil PCs in my game. But I've never dealt with that by saying " No, you can't be evil.". I've just asked "How?"

"How are you going to be Evil without eventually tanking the game?" I've yet to really see a really good response to that that conivnced me to allow it....though not saing there might not be one. Just that I haven't seen one yet
>>
>>46788275
That is LN. LE is the same thing, but with active malice.

Evil means EVIL. They WANT bad things to happen to people. A LE character is just less likely to go out of their way, than, say, a CE, to fuck someone over.
>>
>>46795067
If those babies didn't want to be raped they shouldn't have dressed so sexy.
>>
>>46791359
Same
>>
>everytime you say deez nuts or your mom you get hit by an arrow for 1d4 damage

Two dead pcs later and we had to remove the rule
>>
>>46804355

Really? Sounds like it was working as intended.
>>
>>46804055
In the same respect, one of the first proper times I played D&D and knew basically what I was doing the DM treated time as in game time, so 1 minute duration spells were fucking useless because by the time everyone got their turn done it was over.

I can't remember exactly what the spell I was trying to use was but it was something that hid me from enemies and took me out of combat.
>>
>>46788408

It represent stealing a car. It's in the original rules, check'em.
>>
>>46796891
It's not a must to play a female.
It's a must to be able to play a female.
Thou shalt not strip away options from the players for absolutely no reason.
>>
>>46801520
>That isn't even that new though
Exactly. Which means he's EXTRMELY new for not recognizing it.
>>
>>46802752
Because it removes an official rule that's working exactly as intended for no good reason?
It's not like blast mages are overpowered anyway, I don't see why a DM would want to nerf their damage unless he's new and doesn't understand D&D, but heard that wizards are OP somewhere online once.
>>
>>46804243
so what if someone has killed several innocents, on purpose, but also didn't take any pleasure in it, to further their goals
Are they LE or LN?

Being evil doesn't mean you want to hurt people, it just means that you are willing to if it will help your cause.
>>
>>46804653
That's called neutral. Neutral is by nature variable, it's whatever the character's morals will allow. At the furthest extent Neutral could kill anyone with the excuse of "It's just business". Evil is literally evil, it's "I enjoy your suffering"
>>
>>46804653
Good/Evil is better described as moral/amoral.
So probably LE, but there are situations where even a LG character would do that.
>>
>>46787988
>You can't fight Frankenstein by making your own Frankenstein 2.

Why even give us the notes and the lab?
>>
>>46788335
>Dexter as neutral, not evil.

>Crowley as evil, not neutral.

Good point but trash tier pic
>>
>>46793937
Cuz Fun.
>>
>>46788421
> Fix Monopoly
> 'Land on a space and don't pay'

Trash tier senpai.
>>
>>46804776

It's like he doesn't even understand monster fights. Like, this is a great setup right here for something glorious.

Take a few extra minutes of prep on making that Frankenstein Mk.II to make some popcorn for the party so they can better enjoy the monster fight.
>>
>>46792784
It originally wasn't a joke, that was a reddit post in the atheism subreddit. The guy was quoting himself.
>>
>>46804194

Token Evil Teammate.
>>
File: aalewis.png (179KB, 1134x328px) Image search: [Google]
aalewis.png
179KB, 1134x328px
>>46805064
Here it is
Note that he deleted his account a bit later
>>
>>46788421
>How to fix monopoly.
You dont fix monopoly.
Monopoly is a conceptual game made by a girl to show how capitalism sucks.
That said, the stuff is a feature not a bug.

Maybe some ways to MAYBE fix monopoly, this depends on your definition of fixing.

1-Start to create conceptual board games based on other types of economy or government types. Do this until you find some government type where the conceptual ruleset it will produce is fun to play
OR
2-If you think she translated capitalism wrong into a boardgame, do it right. The game may still be shitty to play, but at least will be conceptually fixed.
>>
>>46798881
>Doctor Pavel, I'm [whatever]
>>
My DM use those GURPS rules dealing about damage.
did the best trying to explain his mess
You have an timer to check if you will die or not (unless your damage is 0)
The timer to make a death check is ((3d6 * (HP/ damage)) * 5) minutes
everytime you receive damage or someone tries to heal you, you must update your remaining time before death check, that will continue the same unless you roll a smaller number.
Only after the timer run out, you will need to check if you will die or not
the roll is based on
(hp / damage) *18
If you survive the death check you will recover, unless someone hit you again or someone tries to heal you, then you generate a new timer following previous rules
There is also the chance of enter shock and stop fighting, this happen everytime you receive damage or someone tries to heal you
(HP / (current received damage + (damage before you had before the hit divided by 10))) * 21

if you survive, with the previous roll result check this
(HP / (current received damage + (damage before the hit by 10))) * 20
to see if you will enter shock and pass out

then there are rules about hitting something with DR higher than your damage:
if the weapon damage before multiplier is not higher than DR (with dr reduction) the actual, damage is (weapon damage / 1.8) rounded down

if the weapon damage (before multiplier) is higher than dr (with dr reduction) but [weapon damage (before multiplier) - dr (with dr reduction)] is less than dr(with dr reduction), damage is actual damage divided by 1.6
>>
>>46804194

Character development.
>>
>>46787988
Not a house rule but
>Rolling amazing on stealth checks
>Crouching next to sleeping enemy
>Aims barrel of gun point plank at enemy's temple
>"Roll damage"
>What?
>"Roll damage."
>But he's unconscious and can't fight back? Why can't I kill him outright? Do I at least get some sort of bonus?
>"No. If your gun doesn't do enough damage on the first attack it wont kill him. Now roll damage."

God fucking dammit.
>>
>>46805550
People can survive bullets to the head. Especially bullets to the temple. That's a great place to hit someone but a terrible place to shoot them.

A shame the thread's dying, I could have shared the Legend of Legends again. Mostly it's just an awful setting, but the awful houserules are what made it so much worse, in a lot of ways.
>>
>>46788037
Just play 5e, where crafting is useless.
>>
if you roll a 1 on an attack you have to roll a percentage to not break your weapon. this also breaks magical weapons. this was 5e
>>
>>46805593
Bullshit. Maybe if it's a 22. Even if a person lived for a few minutes they would be out of the action
>>
>>46796891
Taking away options for no reason other than "I said so" is just faggoty thing to do.
>>
>>46787988
New characters always start at level 1, no matter what the level of the rest of the party is, and get no bonuses to catch up.

CR of encounters is adjusted to assume you are the same level as the rest of the party.

Also, roll your hitdice for hp at level 1.

What.
>>
>>46806057
http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/firearms
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/41046340/ns/health-health_care/t/bullet-head-can-be-overcome-survivors-say/
http://www.livescience.com/9234-survive-bullet-brain.html
The problem with the temple is that a bullet that passes straight through can do comparatively little damage, since it completely avoids the brain stem, which is the actual "you need this to stay alive" part of the brain. A bullet to the temple can cause brain damage, a vegetative state, paralysis, blindness, or in some mystifying cases, absolutely no effect at all (except a cure for the depression which caused the suicide attempt).

An even worse place to shoot is right between the eyes, where the skull is at its thickest and also angled in a way to maximize chances of deflection. Really, the best place to shoot someone for a definite kill is the back of the head or in the mouth.
>>
>>46805550
>>46805593
>>46806057
>>46806212
This is why you should simply slit throats like a normal person.
>>
>>46794717
Don't play martial then, or argue that enemies shouldn't get them either.

But clearly this is a gm that has not read the rules. And does not understand that 5e be balanced to fuck with no need for homebrew. Except for crafting... Fix that shit.
>>
>>46796604
At least they straight up told you, instead of passive aggressively fucking you over and making you think that they hated you personally but really they just hated a simple character division. Because the socially awkward fucktards that make up this hobby lack any form of empathy.
>>
>critical fumbles are bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bLR04OkC-I
>>
>>46805550
Where do you guys even find these people?
>>
>>46803876
>Shit GM detected.
>>
>>46803876
>rp
If you are going to shitpost about something at least know what the words you are using mean.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.