[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eastern European Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 30

File: Polish Hussar Banner.jpg (11KB, 256x369px) Image search: [Google]
Polish Hussar Banner.jpg
11KB, 256x369px
So uh, I wanna build a setting based on Eastern European history and folklore but I'm not sure how to capture the spirit of it.

Northern european fantasy is easy enough with its gloomy yet nobledark themes of courage in the face of doom and humans trying to transcend their primitive urges. The fantastic background is familiar what with its fair folk/elves, trolls, dragons, draugr, krakens, magical swords, mysterious western lands, etc.

As for eastern europe I got nuffin but vampires, werewolves, and stereotypical cynicism.
>>
>>46736097
Bumpo
>>
Taking a look at the Witcher might be a good idea.
>>
File: Hunor and Magor.png (812KB, 800x466px) Image search: [Google]
Hunor and Magor.png
812KB, 800x466px
>>
File: Baba Yaga.jpg (66KB, 464x532px) Image search: [Google]
Baba Yaga.jpg
66KB, 464x532px
>>
File: Zmey.jpg (23KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
Zmey.jpg
23KB, 400x302px
>>
File: Svarog.jpg (100KB, 400x766px) Image search: [Google]
Svarog.jpg
100KB, 400x766px
>>
File: Veles.jpg (27KB, 318x479px) Image search: [Google]
Veles.jpg
27KB, 318x479px
>>
File: Svetovid.jpg (161KB, 481x641px) Image search: [Google]
Svetovid.jpg
161KB, 481x641px
>>
>>
File: Living_of_East_Slavs_by_Ivanov.jpg (166KB, 1000x708px) Image search: [Google]
Living_of_East_Slavs_by_Ivanov.jpg
166KB, 1000x708px
>>
File: slavstuff.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
slavstuff.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
Eastern europe stuff is hard. Don't forget a lot of that kind of stuff kind of got washed away with the whole communism thing.
>>
>>46739186
This
>>
>>46739186
That's like saying "Read a Song of Ice and Fire for a look at Western European history/folklore."

The Witcher books take very little from polish myth and legend, most of it is standard fantasy stuff stolen from all over, mixed in with whatever bullshit the old guy wanted when he wrote it because the world is connected to every other world, including ours and other fictional worlds because magic.
>>
>>46739186
The witcher is like 2% polish folklore on the side

It's hardly "eastern"
>>
>>46741235
It's not that hard.
Just try to get the right combination of Northern/Norse/Germanic/Viking/Warrior culture mixed with Eastern/Nomadic/Mongolic/Hunnic/Magyar/Horse-Warrior culture.

Okay. Now that I say it, it's harder than it sounds.

I like to think of Rohan as a prototypical Eastern European Slavic culture, which gave up viking ships and the oceans for horses and plains, but kept Northern European aesthetics and language more or less.
>>
File: cossack shitposting.jpg (206KB, 1024x605px) Image search: [Google]
cossack shitposting.jpg
206KB, 1024x605px
>>46740087
what the heck is going on in this pic?
>>
>>46742246
Fuck paganism
>>
I always get the feeling Eastern Europe under Christianity was grimmer for some reason. Maybe it's because I don't know too much about pre-Christian Slavlandia, but the idea of your mouldy old nobles in old ass castles dominating landscapes, this magnificent, mystical Church with esoteric hierarchy whose concepts and terminology seem ultimately alien and distant to the uneducated peasant in the fields, all the while with the shadow of ancient, nameless paganism festering on the forest borders, lake shores and barren mountain slopes seems far darker and more interesting than a regular heroic fantasy setting. The de-throned pagan gods dwelling in the frigid wilderness still holding onto the land and subtly worshipped in ways long forgotten that the people seem to do anyway.
>>
>>46742615
Old Russia had a huge problem stomping out pagan syncretism

East slavic peasants saw Jesus as "good for" giving them a happy afterlife

But for good harvests, healthy children, victory in battle, protection from things in the woods, and other "immediate" needs the old powers should be consulted
>>
File: Bulgars.jpg (444KB, 688x931px) Image search: [Google]
Bulgars.jpg
444KB, 688x931px
>>
File: Bulgar-1.png (215KB, 383x650px) Image search: [Google]
Bulgar-1.png
215KB, 383x650px
>>
File: ivanov6.jpg (627KB, 1280x955px) Image search: [Google]
ivanov6.jpg
627KB, 1280x955px
>>
File: Ilya.jpg (154KB, 823x552px) Image search: [Google]
Ilya.jpg
154KB, 823x552px
>>
File: Živa.jpg (23KB, 192x285px) Image search: [Google]
Živa.jpg
23KB, 192x285px
>>
>>46742615
I don't know, it really hit it off in Poland.
>>
>>
>>
File: bfi1291590435q.jpg (128KB, 800x584px) Image search: [Google]
bfi1291590435q.jpg
128KB, 800x584px
>>
>>46741235
A lot of stuff got destroyed when Christianity took over Russia, actually. They know fuck all about pre-christian russian religion, apart from some folklore and a handful of rituals
>>
File: 1421549586168.jpg (471KB, 930x794px) Image search: [Google]
1421549586168.jpg
471KB, 930x794px
>>46736097
As someone who has run a lot of "Eastern Slavic" games using D&D, let me give you the same advice one gentle anon gave me:

>Things used to be good. Now they're worse. And getting worse.
>There is no great, ancient evil waiting to be awakened. It was always awake.
>Witches are not always of sinister intent, and should therefore be treated with extra caution. If you can't trust them to be evil, you can't trust them at all.
>Do not enter the forest. It will eat you. Do not go swimming in any body of water. You will be eaten.
>There are many tales of great cities in lands far away. You will never get to see them.
>Fantastic creatures and wilderness are often bad. The nobles ruling you are generally worse.
>The best thing you can do with your time is go cutting down trees. It kills the forest that would eat you, and it gets you wood that can be used either to throw on the fire or to build your coffin with.
>If nothing else, at least it takes the mind off how much you hate life and everyone who are not from the same place as you.

I have more, including an incomplete PHB, if you want it. In the meantime, pics!
>>
>>46741235
There's plenty of epic songs from Russia and Serbia

You've got Maygar legends and historic figures to pull from like Vlad the Impaler and Prince Vladimir of Kiev
>>
>>46740087
Those are Danes though, the Danish King Valdemar who was a legit warrior king and his homeboy Absalon, a legit battle bishop. Being arch bishop of a country that used to be heathen vikings less than 100 years teaches a holy man not to take shit from anybody. So when eadtern european boat raiders tried to start shit he rode out and fucked them up. Then him and the king sailed out and fucked them up some more. Crusades being a thing when the Danes converted meant that raiding didn't, now it was just called crusades and God was cool with it. In fact he was so cool that he dropped Denmark's new (current) flag from the sky. Which totally happened because Dannebrog is best and oldest national flag in use today. Absalon is the reason battle bishops are the Danish special unit in Medieval total war.
>>
>>46744566
> I have more, including an incomplete PHB, if you want it.
> if you want it.
I want your home address, your photo and your IDs in social networks.

>>46745870
> when eadtern european boat raiders tried to start shit
Slowpoke much?

Arkona fell in 1168. Easter European "boat raiders" (Pomerania was full of trade cities) were starting shit there since 7th century.
>>
>>46736097
Great tzar gives you this quest:
"Go there, don't know where
Bring me that, don't know what"

What would you do?
>>
>>46746834
>go to the kitchen
>fetch him a drink
>>
>>46746955
Quest failed. He wanted a sandwich.
>>
File: 1416405084112.png (66KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1416405084112.png
66KB, 720x720px
>>46736097
Is Finland close enough for Eastern Europe ?
>>
>>46739186
Games are better at portraying this Eastern European feel.
>>
>>46742999
At the beginning not really. There were few uprisings and movements trying to bring back the old faith in Poland even few centuries after the country was baptised. Hell, they even exist today, although they are rather shady. The whole "Pole=Catholic" concept grew strong somewhen in XVII century and even then it was mostly popular among the nobility. Of course the peasants were going to church, praising Jezus etc., but in reality they were still cultivating the old traditions just like the previous anon said, even though they often didn't fully remember what was their meaning.
>>
>>46746677
>I want your home address, your photo and your IDs in social networks
Sure, just one sec while I...oh. You cheeky cunt.

Have a good night, anon.
>>
>>46747009
>ice mongols
>eastern
>europe
>>
>>46747254
Same here in Russia, except with orthodox church.
>>
>>46744566

You have forgotten the grandma of the devil.

You are doomed, Anon.
>>
>>46747260
> Have a good night, anon.
I wont have a good night until I find you and kill you.
>>
>>46736097
Take a look at Quest for Glory IV for a few characters. Although that ctulhu thing is a bit out of place.

Also a few common themes:
Devil is punisher of evildoers, and often offers bargains of material wealth or social success in exchange for soul, but it is possible to outwit them, either by outlawyering them, or by fulfilling impossible task - either by help of the good supernatural forces, or by character's cleverness.
Yeah, some of our fairytales are conceited that way.

Another common motif is a lazy, sheltered NEET being sent by his mother into the world to find his fortune. They tend to come back as dragonslayers and princes

Then there's a kindly old wizard, usually walking around dressed as beggar, rewarding kind souls that share food with him by valuable information (i.e. there's a princess in need of rescuing in thataway and here's some vague cryptic hints how to rescue here at no additional charge) or minor artifacts (decanter of endless porridge)

Or there's Rusalki, usually depicted as faerie creatures, beautiful women who dance in the forest at night. Occasionally mortals successfully waifu them.

One staple is water spirit/demon that lives in lakes and stores souls of drowned people in jars for undisclosed purposes.
Some of them show up as helpful characters, providing their community with wise advice, others are just cunts that will drown you and rape your girl. Or drown you and rape you then if you're a girl.

Oh and there's no need to go overboard with cynicism. In the grim darkness of slav lands there are sunny days, there is love and there are cocky, boisterous heroes.
>>
>>46742246

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

- koshovyi otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.
>>
>>46744566
As a slav, this is a dumb advice and i wish people would stop reposting it.
The whole point of slavic mythology is respect. Not fear or grim defiance - those will kill you, and kill you fast. If you know how to properly interact with supernatural, you will not only live, but gain a valuable acquaintance or even ally. The one thing copypasta does right is highlight the capricious nature of witches and spirits in general. They're not always out to kill, eat and/or murderfuck you - sometimes they just play pranks, or even offer sincere help with no strings attached - especially if they see that you pay respect to others or are screwed by someone who doesn't (and boy, do they like poetic justice and underdog succeeding against all odds).

Bears, though, bears will fuck you up. They're undisputed masters of the forest, so tread carefully and do not menion them by name - it can attract them.
>>
>>46740087
>>46745870
In 1168 the chief Wendish fortress at Arkona in Rügen, containing the sanctuary of their god Svantevit, was conquered. The Wends agreed to accept Danish suzerainty and the Christian religion at the same time. From Arkona, Absalon proceeded by sea to Charenza, in the midst of Rügen, the political capital of the Wends and an all but impregnable stronghold. But the unexpected fall of Arkona had terrified the garrison, which surrendered unconditionally at the first appearance of the Danish ships. Absalon, with only Bishop Sweyn of Aarhus, and twelve "housecarls" thereupon disembarked, passed between a double row of Wendish warriors, 6000 strong, along the narrow path winding among the morasses, to the gates of the fortress, and, proceeding to the temple of the seven-headed god Rugievit, caused the idol to be hewn down, dragged forth and burnt. The whole population of Garz was then baptized, and Absalon laid the foundations of twelve churches in the isle of Rügen.[3] Rügen was then subjected to Absalon's Bishopric of Roskilde.[6]
>>
>>46748054

That man's got it. I remember reading a book with Bulgarian and Serbian folk songs - it was one volume out of a thematically ordered series, and that particular one had songs that had to deal with magic or rituals. The one thing that comes up most often with spirits, fae or witches? Pay your effen respects, especially if you are some level 2 commoner who has to make a living cutting wood in the forests. Sometimes, they may play with you, but just as often, their offers are genuine.

That said, it isn't all grim and dark. God is high and the Tsar is far, but every now and then you can get help from the weirdest places. Just keep it cool and don't be a jackass, and you can get a gift from a devil and come out on top.
>>
>>46736097

Depends how far east you want to get. You get Czechia that's like 75% germanic, 25% slavic (culture wise), Poland, that's 50-50 (and later on they get heavy Ottoman influence), Russia - that's slavcore +some viking stuff.
>>
Eastern European mythology and the Germanic mythology that pretty much everything we are exposed to is drawn from have a shitload in common, and many of the major beings and concepts are the same thing with different names.

>>46739186
The Witcher is Grimm's Fairytales, there is very little Eastern European stuff in there.
>>
>>46748291

Continued: here is a little story from the Balkans.

There are two brothers, one smart and greedy and one stupid and honest. The stupid one works at the smart one's farm in the spring, and only asks for a lamb to have some meat to eat for the holiday. The smart one begrudges him even that, and as he gives it to him, he grumbles "Fine, give it to the she-devil."

Dumb Bro, being the one to do as he is told to the letter, starts looking for the she-devil, and eventually finds her with the devil's kids in some god-forsaken cave in the middle of nowhere. He goes up to her and to her complete surprise says this is a gift to her for the holiday. She is gobsmacked and eventually says a devil can't accept shit for free, giving him back a magic salt shaker that can run forever and telling him the words to start and stop it.

Dumb Bro goes back, tells his brother about it, and Smart bro realizes this thing is worth a fortune. He tries to guilt trip Dumb Bro to give it to him since it was obviously his idea, but Dumb Bro says it was a gift to him. Finally Smart Bro offers him the farm in return and Dumb Bro agrees,

Smart Bro proceeds to book a ship to a rich city to live as a salt merchant, agreeing with the captain to pay with salt (which at the time, remember, is quite expensive). However,in his greed, he made sure to remember the start word... and forgot the stop word. In the end, the ship is overloaded and sinks, and the salt shaker never stopped.

That's why the sea is salty, kids.
>>
>>46748361
>Czechia
I read it as Chechnya at first and got confused.
>>
>>46742246

The Ottoman Sultan sent an envoy with a letter to the Zaporozhian Cossacks, telling them he's the lord of everything and that they should submit to him. They wrote him a reply telling him to go fuck himself, and they really went off dissing on him.
>>
>>46748052

I was about to link it, thanks anon.
>>
>>46736097
March boyars, vs landed gentry down south.

Up north is more nomadic with towers as storage facilities of the peasants wealth and food held for them by their lieges who are constantly hunting patrolling taxing the the land.

While southern troops are more infantry based and town guard like regiments, with the nobles of the towns forming elite(mainly due to equipment, but also as some nobles take martial matters as serious whole others have become decadent dandies/merchants).

Extremes of weather and massive sweeping lands full of small rivers and ravines. While woodlands cover where wheat / sunflower etc crops don't take up the lands around towns.
>>
File: chechnya_revenge.jpg (68KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
chechnya_revenge.jpg
68KB, 720x720px
>>46748378
We get that a lot. Especially now that the issue has been brought forward in public conscious because of official rebranding.
>>
File: Markov_EL_Tatar_girl_1890.jpg (18KB, 324x529px) Image search: [Google]
Markov_EL_Tatar_girl_1890.jpg
18KB, 324x529px
M Y T H I C R U S S I A
Y
T
H
I
C

R
U
S
S
I
A
>>
>>46736097
Go to Wikipedia and look up the folklore pages, then follow the cited links.

Google Polish mythology monsters.

They have some weird fucked shit out there.
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannik

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boginki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dola_(mythology)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikimora
>>
>>46748054
This.

In as few words as possible, you know how Western heroes are courageous and defiant and honourable? Slavic ones are clever.

You can't win against the supernatural. It can and will fuck you up on a whim and there's nothing you can do about it.
So they way one goes about interacting with the mythical is by learning about it and behaving correctly. You can't kill a monster by force of arms or hope your virtues to pull you through, but the old guy in your village knows where a witch lives, and maybe if you do her a favour she'll tell you how to kill the fucking monster. Maybe, if you're lucky, it will even work.

This results in stories that have much stronger ties to the world and can't really be 'setting-agnostic'. So this is your spirit: strong, detailed setting that the PCs learn to interact with over time and grow... well, maybe not stronger, but wiser and harder to defeat for it. More in tune with the land, as it were. A western knightly hero may quest for a magical blade imbued with holy powers. A Slavic warrior would instead seek out a witch or a spirit to cast a spell of invincibility him for a price. That sort of thing. It's hard to explain clearly in a language that isn't my first or even second.
>>
File: 1424517449918.jpg (87KB, 500x795px) Image search: [Google]
1424517449918.jpg
87KB, 500x795px
>>46747547
When I was in Finland to visit a friend I asked him if I could drink tapwater there, since it's eastern europe and all

He got mad, real mad
>>
>>46748570
Oh, and speaking of witches. You do NOT fuck with Slavic women. They're scary and know strange things. All of them.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (32KB, 604x362px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
32KB, 604x362px
>>46748020
> Although that ctulhu thing is a bit out of place.
Not really. Northern tribes had ... weird beliefs. Chthulhu would fit right in.

> Another common motif is a lazy, sheltered NEET being sent by his mother
No. I mean, I can get where NEET comes from (Ivan-durak tales) but he is hardly NEET and it's not his mother that's the "questgiver". As for Ilya Murometz, the connotations are different.

... and I'm too lazy to explain the rest.

Seriously, people. What is wrong with you? You know jack shit about Eastern Europe, and the only things you actually heard are some bullshit stories with Cold War/Nazi propaganda mixed in.

Why do you have a compelling need to go and make a setting? That lunatic author of GURPS Russia literally wrote "It was winter and I thought myself qualified to write about Russia".

What the fuck?
>>
>>46739186
make sure to add lots,of diverse, historically accurate ethnicities :^)
>>
>>46748054
>>46748570

As a Serb, I agree with this.

I remember a lot of folk stories where the Big Bad (usually some type of dragon) of the story is defeated by knowing its weakness and then preparing to attack that weakness, not by fighting him head on.

Also, it is not uncommon for heroes to have fairy godmothers.

Oh, and all good creatures pay respect to the God. I guess it used to be some big Slavic god, but in the stories we learned it is Christian God.
>>
>>46748601
I live here, and the guy that sets out on the quest is in multiple cases quite clearly a NEET, stereotypical momma's boy.

>You know jack shit about Eastern Europe, and the only things you actually heard are some bullshit stories with Cold War/Nazi propaganda mixed in.
Why are Russians so arrogant? Or is it just you?
You're not entire eastern europe and you don't have monopoly on folklore either.
>>
So...
>bears will fuck you up
>women will fuck you up, except when hey don't
>listen to your literally motherfucking elders
>anything supernatural will fuck you
>you can fuck the supernatural back if you know how
>witches will tell you how, except when they won't

That's like OSR: the setting.
>>
>>46748627
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawel_Dragon#Late_Middle_Ages
Something along the line.
>>
>>46748570

To be honest there are Eastern European heroes who are strong and courageous, like the Russian Bogatyri (some of whom were, however, cunning rather than just strong) or Marko from the Balkan mythologies. However, superhuman strength is usually either a quirk of birth/raising or a blessing from a supernatural entity. It usually isn't God, but another power - a famous hero might be blessed or, as an infant, suckled by a fae.
>>
>>46748749
>Marko
I've always wondered why an Ottoman vassal became a folklore hero.
>>
>>46748749
No doubt about that, but thing is this either isn't their primary characteristic or it gets them in trouble. Rather unlike the Norse/Western or even Celtic tales, which quite often underline how powerful the hero or their panoply is.
>>
>>46748689
> Why are Russians so arrogant?
Because Russians are not nice people.

> Or is it just you?
Yes. It is just me.

> You're not entire eastern europe and you don't have monopoly on folklore either.
It's not okay to invent weird crap and tell that it is "authentic slav folklore".

> I live here, and the guy that sets out on the quest is in multiple cases quite clearly a NEET, stereotypical momma's boy.
You conveniently forgot to tell where you live and what stories you refer to.

>>46748696
> That's like OSR: the setting.
Yeah. I'm actually thinking about making it.

Fun fact: DnD population density is roughly the same as the Eastern Europe in 8th century A.D.
>>
>>46748782
>Russians are not nice people
Yes yes, you're so dark and grim and edgy etc.

>It's not okay to invent weird crap and tell that it is "authentic slav folklore".
I didn't invent it, it's all around me in fairy tales and stories that originate here.
You can say that you know different stories, but you are not an authority to shit on folklore of other slavs.

>You conveniently forgot to tell where you live and what stories you refer to.
In eastern europe, duh. Czechia to be precise, and there's entire line of stories relating to a guy being sent out by his mother into the world. They are most likely related to your Ivan-tales, or used to at some point, but that doesn't mean they are the same, or that you have authority over them.
>>
>>46748873
> you are not an authority to shit on folklore of other slavs.
> entire line of stories
Specifics, please.

It's not like I can find those stories via your vague descriptions, despite you referring to those stories for three posts.

> They are most likely related to your Ivan-tales, or used to at some point,
As I've already told: Ivan is very rarely sent out by his mother.
>>
>>46748966
>It's not like I can find those stories via your vague descriptions, despite you referring to those stories for three posts.
And yet you consider yourself such a hot shit that you immediately attack things you don't know as bullshit and propaganda?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honza

>As I've already told: Ivan is very rarely sent out by his mother.
Maybe in your national variants.
>>
>>46748378
They could have went with Bohemia....Bohemia still has a romantic heritage across the former Habsburg territory.
>>
>>46749005
> And yet you consider yourself such a hot shit that you immediately attack things you don't know as bullshit and propaganda?
Because it's not "immediately".

> Honza
And in which tale did he gets sent out by his mother? In the one about thievery he is hardly NEET.
>>
>>46749031
>Because it's not "immediately".
it was literally your first response, probably because you wanted to feel yourself superior to "those dumb americans" that talk about foreign shit they aren't familiar with and ironically came out looking just that way.

>And in which tale did he gets sent out by his mother? In the one about thievery he is hardly NEET.
Read the article, it's short enough as it is.
>In original uses, Líný Honza is the lazy and inept son of village farmers. His parents send him "to the world" to take care of himself and get experience. On his way, he meets seemingly impossible obstacles (often involving dragon) but outsmarts them all and returns home with fame, riches and a princess as his wife.

There's no single canon story, the general tale has this structure though.
>>
>>46749024
Except Czechia is Bohemia and Moravia.
>>
>>46749104
Meh, neither Moravia nor czech part of silesia are acknowledged in present names either, I don't think that would've been a big problem.
>>
>>46747254
You've got a weird understanding of how Christianity works.

You know those old traditions? They were adopted and adapted for Christianity. Their "meaning" was hardly difficult to translate to Christianity, because whether you are blessing eggs for Jaryło or for Jesus hardly matters if it's being done in celebration and thanks for continued life and opportunity for renewal.
>>
>>46749100
> it was literally your first response, probably because you wanted to feel yourself superior to "those dumb americans" that talk about foreign shit they aren't familiar with and ironically came out looking just that way.
This is very interesting explanation.

Especially in light of the >>46748020 post where you made general statements about the whole Eastern Europe. Provably wrong statements. And then you went buttblasted about arrogant Russians who disagree with you.

> Read the article
I prefer real books. Especially when wiki articles don't even have proper references.

> There's no single canon story, the general tale has this structure though.
No, it doesn't. Only one tale fits the description. It's hardly "common motif" for the whole Eastern Europe.
>>
>>46747260
>Tieflings are Jews
>>
>>46749229
>you made general statements about the whole Eastern Europe
I submitted several examples of topics and creatures common in our folklore. True enough, they may not be popular in Russia. We don't care for shit like Koschei over here either. That doesn't mean they are not relevant to the topic, especially seeing as OP posted a winged hussar.
>Provably wrong statements
Yeah, sure, assuming that you take Russia as entire easter europe and a few specific stories that you personally know as canon source of its folklore.
>And then you went buttblasted about arrogant Russians who disagree with you.
Ah yes, the famous russian fascination with anal pain. Yes, I'm upset that a Russian faggot jumps into a thread and tells me that my folklore is weird made up shit.
>I prefer real books. Especially when wiki articles don't even have proper references.
You don't even know what folklore is.
>No, it doesn't. Only one tale fits the description. It's hardly "common motif" for the whole Eastern Europe.
Alright, if you want to be pedantic about it, it's common motif for THIS part of eastern Europe.
>>
>>46744566
Yeah, I call bullshit

"Le grimdark slavic" stereotype is a recent thing

...except forest part
>>
>>46747260
>Sithrak
I guess we know what happens when you die then.
>>
>>46748627
Mr Kebab remover, is this why eastern europeans have such incredibly elaborate methods of killing & fending off vampires?
>>
>>46749417
>>46749229
Don't you squatters have wives to beat or something?
>>
>>46749498
We don't have vampires. We have upirs and strigas and zmoras and all that jazz, but the method varies by tale, not by type. Each individual specimen has a way to kill it which it may or may not share with others of its kind.
There is overlap, but it comes mostly from later romantic fiction and amalgamation over time. Our monsters were individuals before it was cool, see.
>>
>>46749512
no that's american hillbillies, we just drink in public and eat sunflower seeds
>>
>>46749512
don't be silly, nobody would feature beaten woman in porn.
Actually they would but it's a niche market.
>>
>>46749417
> We don't care for shit like Koschei over here either.
That's funny because both Poles and Serbs have Koschei (though it's called differently in latter case).
>>
Northern mythology is overall very grim and bleak, with a dash of Celtic optimism at the end of the tunnel here and there

Eastern legend is neutral bright, people choose to be cunts or not. But the world is pretty damn OK if you have common sense and manners.
>>
>>46749528
There are legends about vampires in Western Serbia tho.
>>
>>46752677
N-Nonsense

There's no undead bloodsuckers here
>>
File: Image 0864.jpg (319KB, 1000x1336px) Image search: [Google]
Image 0864.jpg
319KB, 1000x1336px
>>46749528
>We have upirs and strigas and zmoras and all that jazz

Reminds me that there's a pretty cool Italian series about a group of Kebab removers removing Vampires.
>>
>>46748375
I love it. Gonna steal it.
>>
>>46748696
More like real life: the setting
>>
>>46753812
No one likes it when it's phrased like that
>>
>>46753812
>wiccans
>knowledgeable about fucking anything
No
>>
Slavic wizards and pagan priests were the same thing
>>
>>46752677
That's halfway kebab anyway.
>>
>>46748775
Norse mythology tends towards cleverness over/ or complementing strength.

Most great heroes and such are strong warriors, but they are very often faced with problem they cant solve only through power.
A lot of the time the gods, or heroes are defeated or humiliated because they were tricked or out smarted.
>>
Gommunism
>>
>>46756666
Celts typically revered trickster heroes more than Germanics who saw such figures as treacherous fuckheads
>>
Dominions' has two Slavic factions (technically the same nation in different eras) and they're decently strong. Not as strong as Germans though.
>>
>>46749559
>niche
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.